The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

1 minute ago, Mike P said:

The advanced syntax are all those wonderful tricks for searching for exactly what you want. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax 

The new search/filter process makes some of these less needed because of the built in ability to search/filter for things like notes containing pdfs. This is provided you have remembered to build up your search in the notebook -> filter -> text order I described.

Thanks. That's for the legacy version. So I guess there are no new search features, like boolean or anything like that, aside from their new ability to "filter".

21 minutes ago, lisec said:

That's for the legacy version. So I guess there are no new search features, like boolean or anything like that, aside from their new ability to "filter".

It was promised in the EN YouTube video about the new search that the old search syntax would continue to work - and it does. I agree that Boolean search is an obvious omission in EN. I did read something from ages ago that stated that the multitude of different EN versions made Boolean search difficult to implement. Perhaps with a common code base and searches largely taking place on the server, Boolean search is something that we will see in the future. 

Meanwhile, although the search has a few problems and you have to approach it in a certain way that seems logical to the developers, I generally like it and will be easier for most users while retaining the things that power users need. It has also improved massively since the early beta versions when I was creating posts with names like "The current search/filter set up is ridiculous"

I just downgrade to Evernote v7.x because I loose a lot of time with Evernote v10 on Mac Os.

Evernote product owner should stop user their client as testers. The version V10 is not finished !

I get a lot of issues

- My shortcuts that i use daily are not working 

- The list of notes is not updated when i update a note (change tag or date)

- Performance issues; The app is very slow when i click on a tag or shortcuts

- Strange design choice (example: putting the tags and reminder menu on the bottom of the editor !)

I follow those steps to downgrade to 7.x

1. Download a old version from here https://evernote.fr.uptodown.com/mac/versions
  2. Delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/ (otherwise you will get the error: Version too old! )

I hope that helps you

I've been using Windows version 10 for just 15 minutes and regret updating to it. The split window display mode is gone. All my notes have been converted to Sans Serif font and a larger font size, and there are only six fonts to choose from. It honestly looks and feels like a cheap port of the Android version.

10 hours ago, toao said:

well my issue with nimbus is that they neither seem to have local notebooks nor zero knowledge encryption, i.e. they can read your notes...otherwise it would have been great, but this is a show stopper for me...

no local notebooks,  but with offline access.  for encryption, evernote also does not have encryption (or very bare selected text encryption)

4 hours ago, TonyLim said:

no local notebooks,  but with offline access.  for encryption, evernote also does not have encryption (or very bare selected text encryption)

agreed, but prior to "Evernote Light" aka V10 Evernote at least had the local notebooks, which was my workaround for sensitive data. e2e encryption would be even better, but outside of joplin and devonthink (mac) few solutions seem to offer that....

On 10/11/2020 at 6:54 AM, MarcSant said:

Notion, is another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

This is program that I'm testing right now, until Evernote Legacy is supported. 

This is what I'm spending my time researching a mission. The functionality with Notion is amazing, but the search function in Evernote is second to none. It is going to be hard to migrate as I've been using Evernote since 2007 and have over 20K notes currently.

Yes, Notion seems to have lots of functionality that Evernote does not have (some we have been asking for).  Besides local notebooks (or encryption), the major feature I need is the global tagging.  Although there is an alternate solution provided in Notion, but it is not truly global.

The next one is Nimbus notes, with global tagging (yet to test out).   But no local notebooks (or encryption).

Joplin could be another choice, with end-to-end encryption.  Open source.

I got another answer from Tech Support:

"

Jeffrey B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 13, 2020, 19:41 PDT

Hello Marcelo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your frustration regarding these missing features. We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. We are here to help.

Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative

Marcelo Santos

Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 PDT

“You can still use the Legacy version of Evernote in the future. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.”

How I can use the newest version since it lack’s core features that I use as daily basis?

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark.

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them.

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack

The newest version have this features? If yes, please show me. If not, I stick with legacy version until my migration plan is in course. After that, I will cease to use Evernote and hope you all good luck with this sinking ship.

Att,

-----

Marcelo Santos"

So, honestly, I give up. I don't know all you, but this time is enough for me.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, avevers said:

It's really useful to learn of these alternatives. Sometimes the smaller players can still deliver the biggest value.

Keep 'em coming - I want to be ready for the Evernopocalpyse if it is indeed coming.

What about Joplin?

Seems the best alternative for EverNote.

6 hours ago, TonyLim said:

Yes, Notion seems to have lots of functionality that Evernote does not have (some we have been asking for).  Besides local notebooks (or encryption), the major feature I need is the global tagging.  Although there is an alternate solution provided in Notion, but it is not truly global.

The next one is Nimbus notes, with global tagging (yet to test out).   But no local notebooks (or encryption).

Joplin could be another choice, with end-to-end encryption.  Open source.

I just started exploring Joplin. Thanks.

Compared with OneNote and Notion, Joplin is a lot less complex, easier to use, and more like Evernote. I also like that the Android app was updated just a few days ago, always a good sign. 

I'm still hopeful that Evernote 10 will be as feature rich as Evernote 6. 

• Like 1

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only person unhappy with the latest version.  I joined during the beta, and was willing to live with some flakiness while they worked out bugs.  Seeing that it released in this state, however, is a demotivator honestly.  I've been using Evernote daily for 10 years, both home and work.  I have a paid account, and 12,000 notes.. The missing features, the poor speed, and the general lack of stability I've seen in the Mac version has me disappointed ... I reported these issues in the Beta surveys, random empty notes requiring me to restart.. Random duplicated notes that I can't delete (Move to trash is greyed out until a restart).  Notes changing titles, the unintuitive UI changes (I can't click on the Notebook name anymore to move a note, there's a new button next to it.. Moving the Notebook & Tags to opposite ends of the notes), it's just annoying... Evernote is no longer "fun to use"

I won't cancel my account, but I won't go back to v10 until I'm forced or I see some real improvement in the system.  I'm rolling back to 7.14_458244 (Thank you homebrew)

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
On 10/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, TK0047 said:

- Not being able to select more than 50 notes at a time

It may be useful for those who wish, to know that the limit of selecting 50 notes can be  changed to, as I recall ,1,000 notes by editing

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\config.json

amend the line which reads

"multiSelectionLimit": 50,

I would agree with the inevitable clamour which will say that this shouldn't be necessary. Perhaps it won't be when the promised ability to change 'Options' arrives. It is a workaround for those that want to try it out.

• Level 5

Just a very early take on Notion as an EN replacement--with what appears a decent Import from Evernote feature: Looks very, very strong. 

I just had my EN renewal in September (bad timing!), but there's no way I'm staying with them after they basically imploded and showed they are not concerned about long-time, paying users. 

Note to EN staff: If you're good you don't really want to be the last one there to turn off the lights! Just a thought!

Be well and stay safe!

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I just started exploring Joplin. Thanks.

How do you find Joplin as an alternative to EN? I found the use of Markdown to be a significant hindrance for me.

5 hours ago, MarcSant said:

I got another answer from Tech Support:

"

Jeffrey B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 13, 2020, 19:41 PDT

Hello Marcelo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your frustration regarding these missing features. We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. We are here to help.

Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative

Marcelo Santos

Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 PDT

“You can still use the Legacy version of Evernote in the future. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.”

How I can use the newest version since it lack’s core features that I use as daily basis?

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark.

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them.

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack

The newest version have this features? If yes, please show me. If not, I stick with legacy version until my migration plan is in course. After that, I will cease to use Evernote and hope you all good luck with this sinking ship.

Att,

-----

Marcelo Santos"

So, honestly, I give up. I don't know all you, but this time is enough for me.

That's just a dreadful, copy-paste, soulless response. And it does them no favours.

• Like 1

Ok... after years of using Evernote and most of that time as a paid member I am seriously considering switching to another product. Any suggestions as to what other products to check out? 

If Evernote is reading this, here are a quick list of a few of my concerns:

-No presentation mode (i used this for teaching regularly)

-No importing fonts (fonts have been a way I created organization and association with ideas)

-No way of creating a default format for all new notes (font, font size, color, etc...)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, agsteele said:

How do you find Joplin as an alternative to EN? I found the use of Markdown to be a significant hindrance for me.

I've only been using Joplin for about thirty minutes, so my exploration is still in the early stages. 

I'm not a fan of markdown either. You can turn markdown off and use the WYSIWYG editor, which is more like Evernote. But when you turn Joplin's markdown editor off, you see this warning: "This is an experimental WYSIWYG editor for evaluation only. Please do not use with important notes as you may lose some data! See the introduction post for more information. TO SWITCH TO THE MARKDOWN EDITOR PLEASE PRESS "Code View"."

Joplin has many features I need, but, unlike the Android version of Evernote, Joplin doesn't give you the ability to add a note from the notification bar. 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Andryel Voigt said:

Using EN Legacy, no way to use this new version...

That's cool   
I reverted back to the previous version    
Users should avoid these initial releases if they're not willing to test for issues
I'll check back periodically to see if the issues are resolved

47 minutes ago, agsteele said:

There's one drawback I've noticed with Joplin. All the data is stored on your local device, be it a PC or phone. 

If you have a large notes database it's going to take up a large amount of storage. 

I was hoping to try Joplin on my Chromebook, but my data file is over 14 GB, which eats into my Chromebook's storage. 

On 10/7/2020 at 9:45 AM, HeBoIz said:

Anybody any clue what is meant with listing "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software" as no longer supported feature?

a) former seperate / special "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software"
or
b) general "ScanSnap software" (meanwhile updated and replacing the former Evernote Edition)

The special EN version of ScanSnap was "killed" off a while ago. Fujitsu was provided the steps to upgrade from the EN version to iX500 version (http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/evernote/index.html) I haven't done that yet... But I just use mine as a scanner, not connected to EN. (Got mine when EN closed down the store - EN offered employees a can't-pass-it-up discount) (plus, I think mine is dying - when scanning double-sided, I get a massive vertical black bar - cleaning did nothing)

1 hour ago, dcon said:

Hey, I know that one! I worked there (2012/2013) before moving to Evernote. ("moving" == "laid off")

Now that is cool!  I still have the program and last year I ran it in combability mode and it worked!  Man I loved that program. 

• Level 5
7 hours ago, avevers said:

That's just a dreadful, copy-paste, soulless response. And it does them no favours.

If you ever worked customer support, you would know that in times like this you better do not put too much soul into responses.

You would run out of soulfulness before your lunch break. Better grab your little book of rules, try to understand what this customer wants or needs, be happy about those you can help, and send some nicely phrased blocks of text to all the others.

If you read Marcelo Santos support ticket yourself, what would you have answered ?

• Like 1

It's weird being so (constructively) critical and so heavily discussing EN alternatives on EN's own forum, but I fear the quality of conversation over on Facebook. This disaster (yeah, that's what it is to me - 12+ years with a massive, varied range of content ploughed into this product) has to be examined somewhere.

This issue is simply too significant to ignore or stay silent on. I'm a many-a-year read-only lurker on the forums but not now, not with this!

With a growing acceptance of the legacy (as they describe it) 6.5 being phased out in the "future", the time to be looking for alternatives is, unfortunately, now. Wow. I hoped I'd never have to jump ship.

I remember clear as day Phil Libin saying on those podcasts years ago (remember those?) "we're a 100 year company". And "the data is yours. We don't lock it down. If you want to take it elsewhere you can." I felt reassured at the time, knowing how much I relied on it. Knowing what a pain in the arse it was, moving thousands of notes over from Lotus Notes, hoping I'd never have to do that again.This release has shattered that reassurance. Users new to EN might know no different, but this is like a new version 1. Just getting started.

So, so far, with my limited time, Nimbus is doing it for me. It has a feel of Notion about it, but seems a little more... mature. It seems to be a competitor to Notion more than EN, but there's a blurring of the lines in modern note taking apps.

I'd love some reassurance about Nimbus - how new they are, roadmaps, vision for the future etc., but they're ticking some boxes right now:

- Sync

- Android app

- Better Android editor than EN

- Global tags

- (lovely) dynamic table of contents within the note

Tons more to research. Not tried the desktop yet (Windows 10). I suspect search is inferior to EN6.5. And, on Android at least, markdown only (little font support).

I've yet to check out Obsidian. I may never need to from what I'm seeing with Nimbus.

Maybe we could ask, nicely, if the EN forum admins could create a new forum here called "Evernote Alternatives"...

Semi-rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've worked customer support (IT support) and I made a point of never copy pasting responses. But you're right - soul can sometimes be misinterpreted for sarcasm and that would help no-one.

And in fairness they're probably rather busy with such complaints right now. I too would have struggled to offer much help, given this disastrous launch.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote has allowed this long thread to exist.  Maybe these Evernote alternatives comments would be better collected there?

On one hand, it seems a little disrespectful to me to use Evernote's forums to discuss alternatives.  On the other hand, it benefits Evernote to understand why some are leaving and to which apps they are moving to.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

There's one drawback I've noticed with Joplin. All the data is stored on your local device, be it a PC or phone. 

If you have a large notes database it's going to take up a large amount of storage. 

I was hoping to try Joplin on my Chromebook, but my data file is over 14 GB, which eats into my Chromebook's storage. 

@Coffee First Thing - Nimbus has selective synchronisation - note titles only or full content. This may help with your Chromebook but I've no idea how well Nimbus works with Chrome. (Although I suspect it will work very well!) I'm just starting looking into EN alternatives.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

On one hand, it seems a little disrespectful to me to use Evernote's forums to discuss alternatives.  On the other hand, it benefits Evernote to understand why some are leaving and to which apps they are moving to.

1. EverNote management disrespected us first by don't listening to feedback and providing unbaked versions.

2. They probably quietly and unofficially support migration of advanced users. It looks like EvN blesses users who are meek and don't complain: for they shall inherit the EvN v. 10. 😉

9 hours ago, jcnassoc said:

Right... Issue imho is there's no way they will maintain two sets of source code long-term. 

The software and data file are local. Until they change the sync, it will be fine. Even then, you will have a working copy and your data for as long as it takes to transition. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

1. EverNote management disrespected us first by don't listening to feedback and providing unbaked versions.

Disrespectful is one word that comes to mind, but I have others I can add ... 

• Like 3

Center Images.

Is there is a single reason why this "feature" has been removed?
The question is meant unironical. Can someone explain the reason behind removing such a fundamental thing? Is this a technical thing somehow?

What possessed you to remove the tab functionality? That's so basic and useful a feature that surely you must have just forgotten? I rarely make posts like this but it's just so disappointing and frustrating that something I liked so much has blundered the "new great version" so much – I need to go back to the old one or, like others have mentioned, move to something else. I've used Evernote for around 7 years or so and have recommended it to a lot of friends – not anymore.

If you're going to put so much effort into an update, how could you not ask your users more carefully what they do with your software every day???? I work in UX. And one thing we definitely try to avoid is to piss off a bunch of customers and make them look for something else... 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It appears we're all in the same state of frustration, disbelieve, astonishment that a huge software company (they have how many billions in venture capital funding?) would so totally mismanage a software product, and more-importantly what are obviously very loyal customers / subscribers. As a software project manager I am amazed at how badly they failed.

Next steps? 

1.) Massive cancelling of subscriptions as soon as we can migrate data away. I've already updated my account to stop auto-renewal. If we al head for the exits will they wake up?

2.) Identify possible replacements. I'm now looking at Notion and Joplin (Open Source), which both have lots of strengths, as well as support for importing Evernote data. Notion looks more powerful than Evernote, while Joplin looks like a clone (and is free, though doesn't come with cloud syncing--you need to do it with OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.). 

3.) [Not that we can control this] Evernote management needs to step up and do a major "mea culpa" to all of us loyal (ex-)fans. They need to explain to us what went wrong, what they are doing about it (silence means nothing!), and why we should wait around after years of non-updates of any significance. 

Honestly, even if they do a stellar job with item 3.) (e.g., take full responsibility for the mess-up, give us a timeline that's both achievable and relatively tight, and offer to refund and/or postpone any additional subscription fees) I'm not sure I will stick with them even as much as I love Evernote. At this point I'm spending time looking at Notion, Joplin, etc. and not-for-nothing Notion looks really powerful. Once I identify the right product for me I think I'd rather migrate over and move on with my life rather than wait and hope Evernote does the right thing.

---

Speaking of replacements: The one feature I'm not finding that EN has and I use often is encrypting text within a note. Anyone come across an Evernote replacement that allows for this? Thanks!

• Like 3
27 分鐘前, jcnassoc說:

It appears we're all in the same state of frustration, disbelieve, astonishment that a huge software company (they have how many billions in venture capital funding?) would so totally mismanage a software product, and more-importantly what are obviously very loyal customers / subscribers. As a software project manager I am amazed at how badly they failed.

Next steps? 

1.) Massive cancelling of subscriptions as soon as we can migrate data away. I've already updated my account to stop auto-renewal. If we al head for the exits will they wake up?

2.) Identify possible replacements. I'm now looking at Notion and Joplin (Open Source), which both have lots of strengths, as well as support for importing Evernote data. Notion looks more powerful than Evernote, while Joplin looks like a clone (and is free, though doesn't come with cloud syncing--you need to do it with OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.). 

3.) [Not that we can control this] Evernote management needs to step up and do a major "mea culpa" to all of us loyal (ex-)fans. They need to explain to us what went wrong, what they are doing about it (silence means nothing!), and why we should wait around after years of non-updates of any significance. 

Honestly, even if they do a stellar job with item 3.) (e.g., take full responsibility for the mess-up, give us a timeline that's both achievable and relatively tight, and offer to refund and/or postpone any additional subscription fees) I'm not sure I will stick with them even as much as I love Evernote. At this point I'm spending time looking at Notion, Joplin, etc. and not-for-nothing Notion looks really powerful. Once I identify the right product for me I think I'd rather migrate over and move on with my life rather than wait and hope Evernote does the right thing.

---

Speaking of replacements: The one feature I'm not finding that EN has and I use often is encrypting text within a note. Anyone come across an Evernote replacement that allows for this? Thanks!

From releasing the new iOS version I have already called for pulling down and legacy version, urging for an official statement addressing the issue besides the normal customer service. The company ignored almost all of this and still insist on launching Mac/Windows in which much more people are affected. They have missed the opportunities of first round, and also missed the second now, where many users asked for the roadmap and called for moving out.

The YouTube clip shared here yesterday about the interview of Ian Small is nothing. Actually I am really shocked to see a company can COMPLETELY overlook all of the voices in this case. Their new product is already a crisis, and I am sure it is just the beginning of the fall of Evernote.

Cancellation of the renewal is a must. If they are willing to talk to us and improve, they should have done it when the iOS was launched. If they didn't do it before, they won't do in both short and long run. Don't expect this company will change and you can't force them to do so. Leaving is already the best solution.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Alvin C said:

From releasing the new iOS version I have already called for pulling down and legacy version, urging for an official statement addressing the issue besides the normal customer service. The company ignored almost all of this and still insist on launching Mac/Windows in which much more people are affected. They have missed the opportunities of first round, and also missed the second now, where many users asked for the roadmap and called for moving out.

The YouTube clip shared here yesterday about the interview of Ian Small is nothing. Actually I am really shocked to see a company can COMPLETELY overlook all of the voices in this case. Their new product is already a crisis, and I am sure it is just the beginning of the fall of Evernote.

Cancellation of the renewal is a must. If they are willing to talk to us and improve, they should have done it when the iOS was launched. If they didn't do it before, they won't do in both short and long run. Don't expect this company will change and you can't force them to do so. Leaving is already the best solution.

Well put! 

I want to add to the list the one feature I often used that I cant find or I didn't find in the New Evernote update 10.

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

I want to add to the list the one feature I often used that I cant find or I didn't find in the New Evernote update 10.

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

I don't know why the dev push the seem very not complete update to the user . 

I'll echo the loss of CMD shortcuts, terrible user interface, etc.

For me, however, the loss of Classic Note Links is a show-stopper. This has to be replaced asap or they'll lose me to something like Notion as its an integral part of my workflows.

I've been a paid user for the past seven years. I **PATIENTLY** waited for them over the past year as they worked through this major update. 

I could not have been more disappointed.

I believe Evernote owes all of us paid subscribers a rebate or reduced subscription. They've literally removed dozens of features with no corresponding reduction in price.

Shame on them!

18 minutes ago, naturale said:

All you have to do is click the add filter next to the notebook name. You can then search as normal but just within the notebook you are in.

image.png.8e571e05ccd18b5916709e69285664f4.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, BigBug said:

I'll echo the loss of CMD shortcuts, terrible user interface, etc.

For me, however, the loss of Classic Note Links is a show-stopper. This has to be replaced asap or they'll lose me to something like Notion as its an integral part of my workflows.

I've been a paid user for the past seven years. I **PATIENTLY** waited for them over the past year as they worked through this major update. 

I could not have been more disappointed.

I believe Evernote owes all of us paid subscribers a rebate or reduced subscription. They've literally removed dozens of features with no corresponding reduction in price.

Shame on them!

Hi. The internal note links (creation and use) work fine for me. I am on Mac, though. Is this a problem you are seeing in Windows?

As for the loss of features, I'm not terribly pleased about it either, but if we hold Evernote to that standard (paying us / reducing costs for every feature they remove), we'll probably want to call Apple and inquire about those phone chargers (they won't bundle them with the phones for "amazing reasons," because it was the "right thing to do"--it also enabled them to fit more phones on the pallets and save a huge amount of money). As a paying customer, I don't need rebates or reduced fees. I'd just like to see them get to work restoring the missing features. 

I'm using the old and new version of the app (on Mac). I don't think I've got any major complaints about the user interface (besides the missing stuff). They both have their pros and cons, but overall they get the job done well (for me).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Mike P said:

All you have to do is click the add filter next to the notebook name. You can then search as normal but just within the notebook you are in.

image.png.8e571e05ccd18b5916709e69285664f4.png

Thanks for the explanation. I have tried that but I found out that when I use filter the view that in the notebook I set to 'list' view , became 'Snippet' view for the result view and I cant change that search result to 'list' view  

That's odd. I can't replicate that. When I started with list view I ended up with list view. There are some issues about whether EN is remembering the preferred view so I don't know whether that is the problem.

image.png.d565ebc7d44a5ba07ec0e3bc6e26f7f1.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. The internal note links (creation and use) work fine for me. I am on Mac, though. Is this a problem you are seeing in Windows?

As for the loss of features, I'm not terribly pleased about it either, but if we hold Evernote to that standard (paying us / reducing costs for every feature they remove), we'll probably want to call Apple and inquire about those phone chargers (they won't bundle them with the phones for "amazing reasons," because it was the "right thing to do"--it also enabled them to fit more phones on the pallets and save a huge amount of money). As a paying customer, I don't need rebates or reduced fees. I'd just like to see them get to work restoring the missing features. 

I'm using the old and new version of the app (on Mac). I don't think I've got any major complaints about the user interface (besides the missing stuff). They both have their pros and cons, but overall they get the job done well (for me).

I'm not talking about the internal note links. I'm talking about the "classic notes link" that one could access via the CMD key when right clicking on a note (I'm also on a Mac). This was/is a link that you could use outside of the app that brought you back into the actual app and opened note. (And no, I'm not talking about the Shareable web link, either).

And we're going to have to agree to disagree. When I pay $X for a feature set (which I just renewed prior to this release) and then the new release removes 6-10 key features I have come to rely on, I *do* believe Evernote owes us a partial refund. Your argument about Apple is an entirely separate issue and may/may-not also fall under this same category. I'm talking about Evernote, and they've greatly let me down with this release. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, BigBug said:

I'm not talking about the internal note links. I'm talking about the "classic notes link" that one could access via the CMD key when right clicking on a note (I'm also on a Mac). This was/is a link that you could use outside of the app that brought you back into the actual app and opened note. (And no, I'm not talking about the Shareable web link, either).

And we're going to have to agree to disagree. When I pay $X for a feature set (which I just renewed prior to this release) and then the new release removes 6-10 key features I have come to rely on, I *do* believe Evernote owes us a partial refund. Your argument about Apple is an entirely separate issue and may/may-not also fall under this same category. I'm talking about Evernote, and they've greatly let me down with this release. 

I see. Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the links. Hopefully, they will add in the feature soon.

Of course, agreeing to disagree is probably where we will end up, but I think one difference with this release is that we can easily go back to the legacy version. I am using both right now, and for my workflow, a lot of stuff can still be done with the new version, so I am OK most of the time. And, if I need a particular feature, it is technically still available. However, if features remain missing, at some point the legacy app will presumably lose support, and then I will be done with it. Hopefully, while we have the legacy app, the developers will work the missing features back into the app.

One cautionary tale, though, would be the web version, which was rolled out in a similar fashion (legacy and new version), took ages to progress, and even now still doesn't have critical functionality such as the ability to use it on mobile (last I checked). As a result, I think I might use it once or twice a year. Let's hope Evernote doesn't repeat that process here. I wonder if they think of the new web version as a model or a mistake. 

• Like 1

"How dare you?!" (C) Greta T.

I'm realy old user of the Evernote. 
So, when they killed the list-view design of content from v2.x and gave us v3.x with syncronization it was painfuly but it was worth that.

But today they did something different, didn't they? 
They killed a bunch of key features and give us nothing. It even still can't work with scanner.
And they will unplug the "Evernote Legacy" as they called it now, from syncronization, do you think?
It is unacceptable to me.
I've been paying for premium account several years, but it won't make any sence to proceed, if they are going to do so.
Can I trust them if they do so stupid things?

• Like 1

Thank god for this thread - I thought I was going crazy! First noticed sync issues, then no shareable links....

This is NOT an upgrade! I participated in beta, and submitted some items... This release is a disaster! I'm on a Mac - and echo previous - I'm less concerned about UI than missing functions!

Reverted to Legacy.

Thanks for nods to Notion - though I've been a paying customer on Evernote for years (forever!), will take a look.

Hi, I'm probably a little dense, but I did look around on Evernote site and in the app, and I couldn't find an obvious way to go back to the Legacy previous version. Could someone list the steps required to go backwards? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere...

Long time paying customer, use it for doctoral research, etc. 

I was a beta tester, and was shocked to find it released into the wild the way it was. For me, it's missing some key features, like tabs. I do really miss the ability to set my own fonts; when I asked about this, they said it was to address a problem when sharing notes with people. Well, I don't know how many people share notes. I suppose if it's a corporate or team account, sure. But to *assume* that everyone is working on a team and redesign to that loses you all the non-team users. I don't share notes with anyone but me and my wife, and it's rare. Dropbox did something similar, where they assume every user is corporate by default. Mac users can no longer "lock" their documents stored in Dropbox, because that would interfere with sharing and group document work. 

That said, I have noticed some improvements. I have notes with lots of archival scans of documents, and those seem to be significantly more responsive in some ways now. Probably the result of the rebuilt code base? 

But for the short term, at least, I'm sticking with 7 on OSX, and hoping that these other missing features get added as quickly as possible. 

On 11/10/2020 at 0:48, Kolmir dijo:

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

.Do you really think you can replace Evernote with OneNote?  It has nothing to do with it.

• Level 5*

The customer support staff (Jeffrey) are people too, and I don’t think we should be demonizing them for doing their job. The same is true for the developers. This is their livelihood, and I’m sure they are doing their best to develop a quality product, so threatening legal action or trying to organize a mass cancelation of subscriptions (their income) is quite unfair. 

I think we ought to voice our opinions (I have in many places in this forum), even (especially?) if they are at odds with Evernote’s, but we should try our best to do it in a mutually respectful manner. This is an app we all care about, right? We want to see it succeed and be better.

I agree that there are problems eith the current release (enumerated elsewhere), but I think arguing the merits of our position is a better strategy than threats to leave or using the *Evernote* forums to promote alternatives.

Let’s try and keep it positive, and give Evernote something they can work with :)

• Like 8
25 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

The customer support staff (Jeffrey) are people too, and I don’t think we should be demonizing them for doing their job. The same is true for the developers. This is their livelihood, and I’m sure they are doing their best to develop a quality product, so threatening legal action or trying to organize a mass cancelation of subscriptions (their income) is quite unfair. 

I think we ought to voice our opinions (I have in many places in this forum), even (especially?) if they are at odds with Evernote’s, but we should try our best to do it in a mutually respectful manner. This is an app we all care about, right? We want to see it succeed and be better.

I agree that there are problems eith the current release (enumerated elsewhere), but I think arguing the merits of our position is a better strategy than threats to leave or using the *Evernote* forums to promote alternatives.

Let’s try and keep it positive, and give Evernote something they can work with :)

Totally agree 100%. Far too much aggressive language flying around. Some folks need to keep it civil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, t8769 said:

There is nothing aggressive or wrong about talking about leaving or discussing alternatives. 
I have not seen any demonization, or any uncivil language, certainly not on this page. 

Most people here are polite, helpful and genuine. 

Talking about a leaving is not a 'strategy' it is a genuine conversation.

They have made good suggestions, and I have seen no personal attacks. 
If someone has used has behaved badly, they are certainly the exception. I have not seen this.

There is nothing wrong with honest discussion, and it should be encouraged, not called 'negative'.

Of course not. Most people are very helpful and genuine. I agree.

But I have seen phrases like "Cowardly developers", "Idiot CEO", "2nd grade developers" and quite a few starred out words plus other insults.

Nothing wrong about talking about leaving... nothing wrong with being disappointed about a feature missing but some of the rhetoric I've seen should really be left on Reddit 😉

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, t8769 said:

There is nothing aggressive or wrong about talking about leaving or discussing alternatives. 
I have not seen any demonization, or any uncivil language, certainly not on this page. 

Most people here are polite, helpful and genuine. 

Talking about a leaving is not a 'strategy' it is a genuine conversation.

They have made good suggestions, and I have seen no personal attacks. 
If someone has used has behaved badly, they are certainly the exception. I have not seen this.

There is nothing wrong with honest discussion, and it should be encouraged, not called 'negative'.

Talking about leaving is fine. I think talking about alternatives is fine as well, to a point. I've mentioned both things in other threads--indeed, tonight I am having to work with competitor because we just lost local notebooks. That's quite a blow. The confidential stuff has to go somewhere, and apparently "remembering everything important" at Evernote doesn't account for stuff I am ethically and sometimes legally obligated to keep encrypted and/or out of the cloud (other folks' servers). Encrypted notebooks, please...

I was responding specifically to calling out one of the Evernote staff for a "soulless" response, getting into the weeds about how to use other alternative apps (not so much in this thread, but in others), and the attempts to bring legal action or instigate a mass migration away from Evernote. I don't think the *Evernote* forums are a place for doing these things.

I don't remember calling anything negative, per se. Rather, I am trying to focus the thread on the original topic and to encourage everyone to maintain a certain level of respect for one another and the developers. As you said, most folks are doing fine. We all slip once in a while, but as much as possible, I'd like to keep the thread helpful (for us and the developers) and on topic.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Mike P said:

That's odd. I can't replicate that. When I started with list view I ended up with list view. There are some issues about whether EN is remembering the preferred view so I don't know whether that is the problem.

image.png.d565ebc7d44a5ba07ec0e3bc6e26f7f1.png

I found out that I experiencing this because I set my All notes view in 'snippet' and when I search 'in the notebook(with filter)' the view using the all note view not the per notebook view.

I myself want to respect and I respect the hard work the devs do in attempt to improve the app. It really good to always try to improve the app better. But the decision to suddenly update the app with the incomplete workspace without the user can choose to is a bad decision I think. Imagine someone have a tight schedule and something need to be done soon then suddenly they forced to learn the new workspace and solve the new problem to pursue the target. I think people using this app is in hope to be helped in their live and work so they can work efficiently not the other way around. I myself get stuck when I first open the evernote showing up with the new version and have been slowed down in my work and still figuring out how to work with the new 'incomplete' version and get my pace right again. 

I think most people will need to stick with the older version till the work for the new version is really done .     

I just find out another thing I notice. I dont't know it is just me or the font in the new version is not as clear and crisp as before. I have tried to make the font bigger but I can see the font in my firefox when I type this and almost another app is more clear and crisp even the font is smaller 

Thank you for the help and the dev for attention 

3 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

I was responding specifically to calling out one of the Evernote staff for a "soulless" response, getting into the weeds about how to use other alternative apps (not so much in this thread, but in others), and the attempts to bring legal action or instigate a mass migration away from Evernote. I don't think the *Evernote* forums are a place for doing these things.

Agreed

9 hours ago, Jose J said:

.Do you really think you can replace Evernote with OneNote?  It has nothing to do with it.

It depends which version you have in mind

V 6.25 is very hard to replace one-to-one. However, it can be replaced to some extend with a set of a few tools/apps. Diversification of a tool-set gives also more independence from one vendor.

If you mean v10.x - it's veeery easy to replace 😉

5 hours ago, MarkW725 said:

Why didn't Evernote finish building this new version before releasing it?

I have managed to go back to an older version to get the full functionality back. I will also look at alternatives.

You can listen to the recent interview with EvN's CEO. He officially confessed, that they don't plan anything. This mean they produce software in a pretty chaotic and amateur way... which results in obvious side-effects we experience today with v10. This is unfortunate.

It looks like they ignore achievements of generations of software developers i.e. methods like for example Agile, Scrum, LSD or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_development_life_cycle

Painter gets stuck in the middle of a room

• Like 1
5 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Talking about leaving is fine. I think talking about alternatives is fine as well, to a point. I've mentioned both things in other threads--indeed, tonight I am having to work with competitor because we just lost local notebooks. That's quite a blow. The confidential stuff has to go somewhere, and apparently "remembering everything important" at Evernote doesn't account for stuff I am ethically and sometimes legally obligated to keep encrypted and/or out of the cloud (other folks' servers). Encrypted notebooks, please...

I don't remember calling anything negative, per se. Rather, I am trying to focus the thread on the original topic and to encourage everyone to maintain a certain level of respect for one another and the developers. As you said, most folks are doing fine. We all slip once in a while, but as much as possible, I'd like to keep the thread helpful (for us and the developers) and on topic.

The word "soulless" came from me, and I apologize if anyone was offended or felt it was too aggressive language. I suppose passion for the product spilt out in the wrong manner. I just felt that it was a little too "copy paste" for my liking, but I acknowledge I could've worded my reaction more appropriately.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/11/2020 at 8:14 AM, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

I'm using a Mac but the structure may be similar

It looks like Evernote has switched database formats from .sqlite to .leveldb
I can work with .sqlite; I have no idea how to work with this new format

I too was an early adopter of Evernote and a paying customer for 12 years.  Version 10 is an immense step backward.  They still have a few months to go before it's time to renew, but I think I may have to cancel my premium subscription. :(

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using a Mac but the structure may be similar

It looks like Evernote has switched database formats from .sqlite to .leveldb

You should also look at @ej8899's great detective work further up this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, ej8899 said:

So... On Windows anyway, your data at:
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\UserXXXXXX
you'll find hundreds or thousands of folders depending on your database - I have 37,868 folders myself.    They are numbered the same as that note ID as shown above.

Thanks for your research
I'm from the Mac platform and we're used to seeing this structure; a separate folder for each note
The metadata was stored in a small sqlite database

>>These folders contain our attachments ONLY

Right; Macs historically also had a content.enml file for each note   
Also native extension was maintained; we didn't have to check a .mime file

>>C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com
this appears to be our note database as an SQL file.  There is a "localstorage.sql" version and a "remoteGraph.sql" (the most data)

This will be painful to use
Did you notice the sql is loading a database with our data

On 10/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, lisec said:

The old OneNote used to save the file locally, and I think perhaps the stand-alone app does as well, but I remember getting an email about 2-3 years ago where they said OneNote was now online only. I know there was some distinction between stand-alone and the new OneNote.

@lisec and others, I checked it out:

The desktop version (previous OneNote 2016) - which I use with Microsoft 365 subscription - ALLOWS local notebooks BUT this version will be discontinued in 2025.

In the future it will be replaced by OneNote for Windows 10 (the stand-alone UWP app you mentioned), already available. This app is CLOUD ONLY (notebooks are stored in OneDrive).

So, if local notebooks are crucial, ON is definetely not a long-term solution.

See the story here (by the way, the ON community also criticized Microsoft a lot for killing the ON desktop, but to no avail):

https://office-watch.com/2018/microsoft-kills-onenote-windows/

Hope it helps those looking around

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, mi_cha said:

@lisec and others, I checked it out:

The desktop version (previous OneNote 2016) - which I use with Microsoft 365 subscription - ALLOWS local notebooks BUT this version will be discontinued in 2025.

In the future it will be replaced by OneNote for Windows 10 (the stand-alone UWP app you mentioned), already available. This app is CLOUD ONLY (notebooks are stored in OneDrive).

So, if local notebooks are crucial, ON is definetely not a long-term solution.

See the story here (by the way, the ON community also criticized Microsoft a lot for killing the ON desktop, but to no avail):

Hope it helps those looking around

Thanks for checking that. The timing is good. I was just in OneNote, not having used it since version 2016, and immediately had to google something *very important*.  There is no way to export OneNote notebooks anymore (in the Windows 10 cloud only version).  All one can do is print to pdf.  Geez. This is getting crazy.  I love the cloud as much as the next gal, but don't these companies and programmers realize that way more than half the world doesn't have a good internet connection if they have it at all? Seriously. I live 15 minutes outside a large city that has fiber, and our internet is DSL with 4-5 MB down when we are lucky, and has not been upgraded in 20 years!  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, lisec said:

Thanks for checking that. The timing is good. I was just in OneNote, not having used it since version 2016, and immediately had to google something *very important*.  There is no way to export OneNote notebooks anymore (in the Windows 10 cloud only version).  All one can do is print to pdf.  Geez. This is getting crazy.  I love the cloud as much as the next gal, but don't these companies and programmers realize that way more than half the world doesn't have a good internet connection if they have it at all? Seriously. I live 15 minutes outside a large city that has fiber, and our internet is DSL with 4-5 MB down when we are lucky, and has not been upgraded in 20 years!  

@lisec I am running the desktop app (OneNote 2016) and my export options are:

Page - .one | .docx | .doc | .pdf | .xps | .mht

Section - same formats as "page" above

Notebook - .onepkg | .pdf | .xps | .mht

You can still download OneNote 2016 and install it, but I am not sure if it opens a OneNote Windows 10 cloud database.

In the version before 10.1 if you right clicked a note there was an option to convert the note into a PDF attachment and a new note was created. It was not the most elegant design and an "export to PDF" would have been nice, but I used it regularly. Where is that funcion in version 10.1? 

I mainly use the web version and iOS/iPadOS versions and on the whole I'm happy with v10.

I miss the following on iOS

• Printing
  • Apple Watch support

Things I am keen to have introduced are the two above as well as

• Support for iOS14 shortcuts that will run on the Apple Watch
  • In a recent interview,  Ian Small talks about the thought of Evernote making more use of location data. I couldn't agree more with this. I'd love Evernote to be a Day One replacement. I miss the Atlas/Map function.
  • A better way to share a notes text and attachments with non-Evernote users. Being able to use the share sheet to lift a notes text and attachments and successfully plonk them into another app like Apple Notes without going back and forward copying and pasting would be great. I'm the only user of Evernote in the house and for the rare occasions where I need to share a note content it's just not worth everyone else downloading and creating an account for that one note. 

Syncing in v10 has been solid and reliable for me with 1000+ notes. The web clipper works well but having to open the app afterwards to let it upload is a little bit of a faff, but the end result works so that's a trade off I can live with at the moment.

• Like 1

desired feature: tags - preview of already assigned tags in a notebook by clicking on filter

You are in a notebook and wan't to filter by tags. Now, I have to click on Filter, and got to search, type the tag I want to filter for and press enter.

It would be great, when pressing on filter, to get a list of all tags, that are assigned in that notbook. So you can click on that tag, or on several tags, to filter much faster. You also would get an overview of all existing tags in that notebook.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, Fusion Laptop said:

I too was an early adopter of Evernote and a paying customer for 12 years.  Version 10 is an immense step backward.  They still have a few months to go before it's time to renew, but I think I may have to cancel my premium subscription. :(

See Ian Small recent video - explains v10.0 released as (almost) blank slate on which to bring back old and add new features.  There's more to follow.  Allegedly.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

See Ian Small recent video - explains v10.0 released as (almost) blank slate on which to bring back old and add new features.  There's more to follow.  Allegedly.

Yep, they have good intention for sure. However, another question remains. Do they also have ability (skills, money, engineering & managerial processes, etc.) to execute properly and deliver on promises..?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mczin said:

desired feature: tags - preview of already assigned tags in a notebook by clicking on filter

You are in a notebook and wan't to filter by tags. Now, I have to click on Filter, and got to search, type the tag I want to filter for and press enter.

It would be great, when pressing on filter, to get a list of all tags, that are assigned in that notbook. So you can click on that tag, or on several tags, to filter much faster. You also would get an overview of all existing tags in that notebook.

I agree. See my list of all the search/filter issues I am aware of (including this one).

I have just researched the issue of ON's end of production date and it may look like MS is changing its mind or at least considering different approach.

https://office-watch.com/2019/good-news-for-onenote-with-windows-as-microsoft-does-a-180/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953691/microsoft-onenote-to-do-integration-fluid-framework-future-features-ignite-2019

https://office-watch.com/2019/new-features-promised-for-onenote/

18 hours ago, mi_cha said:

Oh FFS!  Well I've just registered on Notion, and it's looking EXTREMELY promising.  Much more flexibility and the web version is really slick.  Dark mode ls luscious.  Evernote import is churning away and...

It. Is. Keeping. My. Notebook. Structure. AND. Tags. Intact!  ❤️

And the free personal account has no limits on numbers of notes!  Noice!

But then I install the Mac desktop version and it look identical to the web version.  OK that's fairly standard for modern apps these days.  Oh... hang on... if it's a local version of the web app what about offline note access?  Quick google:

https://www.notion.so/How-can-I-use-Notion-offline-de55148f97c84de3b6e71aa058906be4

If you need to access certain pages when you go offline, open the pages you want while you're still online and keep them open. This will allow Notion to cache the pages for offline editing. We'll sync all changes you make across your devices when you go back online.

We know there's a ways to go on this 😅Improvements to offline support are in progress!

Yes that's right.  Open the pages you want while you're still online.  Is that the best you can do FFS!  💔

Sooo I'm in major rant mode now.  Why the absolute feck can't developers of note apps get the frikin basics right?  Full offline access to 100% of your data without having to pre-prepare,  intuitive tagging, sorting by title, date created, date modified and lightning fast searching.   Stuff that Evernote used to do well

• Like 2
  • Level 5
24 minutes ago, 4d4m said:

Oh FFS!  Well I've just registered on Notion, and it's looking EXTREMELY promising.  Much more flexibility and the web version is really slick.  Dark mode ls luscious.  Evernote import is churning away and...

It. Is. Keeping. My. Notebook. Structure. AND. Tags. Intact!  ❤️

And the free personal account has no limits on numbers of notes!  Noice!

But then I install the Mac desktop version and it look identical to the web version.  OK that's fairly standard for modern apps these days.  Oh... hang on... if it's a local version of the web app what about offline note access?  Quick google:

https://www.notion.so/How-can-I-use-Notion-offline-de55148f97c84de3b6e71aa058906be4

Yes that's right.  Open the pages you want while you're still online.  Is that the best you can do FFS!  💔

Sooo I'm in major rant mode now.  Why the absolute feck can't developers of note apps get the frikin basics right?  Full offline access to 100% of your data without having to pre-prepare,  intuitive tagging, sorting by title, date created, date modified and lightning fast searching.   Stuff that Evernote used to do well

Excellent post! My compliments!!! 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Kolmir said:

Good news! I guess the negative feedback changed their mind. They plan premium features for Microsoft 365 subscribers in 2021.

Here is the FAQ about OneNote
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/frequently-asked-questions-about-onenote-in-office-2019-and-microsoft-365-6582c7ae-2ec6-408d-8b7a-3ed71a3c2103

Note: Our product names for OneNote on Windows have recently changed. Throughout this article, “OneNote” now refers to the desktop version (previously called ”OneNote 2016”), and “OneNote for Windows 10” refers to the Microsoft Store app that’s available only on Windows 10.

Can I continue using OneNote?

Yes, you can continue using OneNote as we are aligning this product with our Office 2019 support dates. The OneNote desktop app is installed by default alongside Word, PowerPoint, and Excel for Microsoft 365 subscriptions that include the client apps and Office 2019. 

When will we see additional premium value in OneNote for Microsoft 365 subscriptions?

We are working hard to include features like advanced sharing and editing in OneNote for Microsoft 365 subscriptions in 2021.

How long will you continue to support OneNote?

OneNote support dates will align with Office 2019 support dates (October 10, 2023 for mainstream support and October 14, 2025 for extended support).

What additional benefits do I get if I use OneNote with an Microsoft 365 subscription or as part of Office 2019?

Your Microsoft 365 subscription unlocks: Local notebook support

2025 seems to be the end date of extended support only, it does not mean it will discontinued (as implied before). The desktop version is bundled with Microsoft 365 subscriptions, while the Windows 10 app remains a free download.

Whatever the life cycle of ON may be, one thing is certain: LOCAL notebooks work with the desktop version only. The windows app 10 saves all notebooks to the cloud.

My ON is attached to a Microsoft 365 subscription, and it works fine. The mobile apps (Android smartphone/tablet) are really great. No problems with syncing.

But, as I said somewhere else: I can't imagine managing +20k large notes in OneNote, as I do in EN6. I work in ON with shared business notebooks (once my part is over, the owner ceases sharing them with me, so the amount of information is temporary and easily manageable) but my "entire life" is in EN6. You just can't compare EN6 organization/search tools with ON, EN6 is much, much, much better.

• Like 1

All this proprietary format stuff is really making me reconsider markdown as a suitable storage format now. And this idea won't work for a lot. I'm more about text, images, attachments and OCR. Less about the styling.

I'm beginning to wonder about a note editor which only really deals with MD format. And also piggybacks on existing mature cloud storage as the backend, single source of truth, from which syncs are performed.

Some note platforms will take an attachment you drop in, upload it to the cloud (Dropbox , Drive etc.) and replace the attachment portion of your note with an embedded link. It's still markdown at the end of the day.

I get it that enex is a form of HTML (I think it is - I'm away from my PC) but if I migrate out of EN, it's going to be painful for sure. Moving over to a massive block of markdown files (as opposed to one massive exb), managed by a front end client and a cloud (and offline) store, is appealing more and more.

Alternative note takers (many based around MD) have sprung up over the past few years. I've felt (and accepted) locked into EN despite their comparative lack of progression (unless I'm mistaken, their biggest achievement was their migration to Google Cloud as the back end). But for many of us, v10 is unworkable. If EN do plan to reintroduce missing features, they've a dreadful way of communicating that. That fact, and other past mistakes combine to make me really question my 12 year loyalty now.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi. Evernote keeps a copy of your notes on your computer’s hard drive, so while it is true that ultimately the server version is the ”official” one, it is not the only one. Dropbox, iCloud, etc. work a similar way. If there is a problem, Evernote also records note histories (I assume this remains in v10), so you can revert to earlier versions of a note. 

Exporting as .html is one option, .enex is another. At least, those options used to exist, and will probably be added again. Competitors make some pretty slick import options (for the legacy app), so I’ve found it almost effortless to move everything out of Evernote.

Markdown is wonderful, but something quite different than what Evernote is doing. The comparioson only works well if you primarily use text. The more you use other formats, the more useful Evernote is. If you are only using text, Evernote probably seems like it has a lot of unnecessary features!

Oh no I use so many features of EN, and am big on fonts. It just seems a lot of competitors focus on MD, so I may need to rethink my reliance on heavy styling.

The HTML export would likely take some scripting (especially to preserve the myriad of tags I use), which I'm not even sure exists for Windows (it's Applescript for Macs isn't it?). 

I'm being premature anyway; I'm sticking around to see what happens. I'd be gutted to leave.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, t8769 said:

Cannot remove spellcheck

Yes, this is CRUCIAL.

I found the EN team post that explains that EN doesn't have an internal spellchecker, it's the OS. Ok but I've *never* used the OS spellchecker. Does it mean I'd have to teach Microsoft Word all my fancy words? Or teach it to chrome? Is the new Evernote an Electron app based on chromium?

Hell, I won't do that anyway.

So now all my notes are stained EVERYWHERE with RED underline, like a schoolteacher came during the night and made 1 billion corrections, ERRONEOUS corrections to my notes. WARNING WARNING PROBLEM PROBLEM oh that WORD has a PROBLEM too.