gazumped

Idea

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

It's unbelievable how such a good product can turn into such a bad thing that it induces a customer from years of using the product and the platform to start a process of mass migration of their data

I`ve just installed the new v. 10 and I just couldn't believe my eyes: oh, no, they kept most of the horrible beta version they realeased a few weeks ago! I would't call it an upgrade. I see it a

I gave up trying v.10 and am back to previous v. 6.25.1.9091 (last stable version). I use Evernote for work, not for leisure. The poor design and missing features affect my workflow. I just

Posted Images

I downloaded the new version, and have uninstalled it and gone back to my last version.

I hope they decide to  add back the Local folder. I want to have a folder that is not out on the internet where I can have my long list of passwords and my private financial information. I have organized my notes extensively with Tabs, and the new version didn't look very "tab friendly".

Evernote are you trying to scare me away??? There was nothing wrong with the Windows Evernote app!

I've been using Evernote for a very long time. But whoever is running this company, is running it in the ground...... 

The new version, is missing so much functions. Why every release this? I reinstalled version 6 and now i have to resync a very large database. Not a happy paying customer!

On 11/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, DTLow said:

I see Version 10 as a new product being developed by Evernote   
This differs from the Legacy product which I'm using

Like Coke Classic and New Coke

If you go to the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta, you will see that New Coke was a colossal, legendary and epic fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just upgraded this morning to version 10 after a notification from Evernote. It took me about half an hour to realise this was a BIG, BIG MISTAKE.

For my workflow it is ESSENTIAL to use import folders. But that is not possible anymore. I should have read this topic first than I would have known... Furthermore I cannot set customized shortcuts anymore.  And there is probably more but I didn't bother to waist time investigating.

Being a long time user for more than a decade I am very, very disappointed by this upgrade.

Thank God there is a legacy version!

Agree with what has been said, a retrograde step, losing so many features.  I use this for my business.  I chose EN because of the power tools for Windows desktop users, and had best chrome clipping tool when I compared ages ago.  PITA that I now need to compare the market again.

What's really bugging me right now is not being able to quickly (at all!) hide the Notes List (used to be able to do this via F11 but now not working).  Also I use with Snag-it and the EN plug-in now not working since this update.  People just want to get on with their work.

• Like 1

Like many here, I too am disappointed. It seems like the changes have been done mainly for people using smart phones. 
I'm a writer. I need all the formatting goodies and they've disappeared. 

I'm an Evernote power use but less technical than you guys are. 
Here are my pet peeves:

• If you quit Evernote, the notetaker gizmo on the desktop closes too. In the past you could still take notes on the thingie even if Evernote was quit. 
  • The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 
  • The search tool is on the top left? not user friendly at all. You should put it back on the upper right side like all search bars. 

Maybe we only have ourselves to blame. I didn't want to be a Beta tester. Not enough of us have agreed I believe and it gives that. 

I'm scared of reverting and lose some stuff. I'll wait and see. 

Maybe I'm just loathing change. 

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Koandco said:

The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 

The horizontal line is still there.  In the upper right is a + blue button for insert, and one of the options is a horizontal line.  Concerning the limited fonts, they reduced it to a number that can be supported on all platforms consistently.  In prior Evernote versions there were complaints on fonts changing depending on which device they were viewed on.  I think this is a case of you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  For v10 they decided on the limited but consistent approach which is ok for me but I do understand others would prefer more font offerings.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Koandco said:

Like many here, I too am disappointed. It seems like the changes have been done mainly for people using smart phones. 
I'm a writer. I need all the formatting goodies and they've disappeared. 

I'm an Evernote power use but less technical than you guys are. 
Here are my pet peeves:

• If you quit Evernote, the notetaker gizmo on the desktop closes too. In the past you could still take notes on the thingie even if Evernote was quit. 
  • The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 
  • The search tool is on the top left? not user friendly at all. You should put it back on the upper right side like all search bars. 

Maybe we only have ourselves to blame. I didn't want to be a Beta tester. Not enough of us have agreed I believe and it gives that. 

I'm scared of reverting and lose some stuff. I'll wait and see. 

Maybe I'm just loathing change. 

Sorry you are having so may problems, you have plenty of company. 

But No, don't blame yourself. There were many Beta testers-- I was one.  I can assure you that many of the issues you see, and dozens of others were brought to the developers' attention and were not addressed before this horrible thing was released.  I too used the dividing line, there is a shortcut--  just type three dashes and hit enter, and voilá, you get the solid line.  In addition, on the desktop version you can type a "#" or "##" or "###" and get large, medium and small headings.   It would be great if at "launch" Evernote actually provided users with a guide to what had changed.  Many, many user hours are being wasted because of this poor communication.  

I am much more concerned about the lethargy, instability and bugs in the new version.  Yesterday I annotated a pdf I had saved months ago, just by highlighting a passage and saving.  The entire pdf disappeared and is unrecoverable!  There were lots of things I didn't like about Evernote, but the things that kept me were:  1. It was super fast on my Mac and iOS, and 2.  In numerous years of use, it never lost any data.     The developers have tried to address some of the other shortcomings, but in the process have made the app buggy, slow and unreliable.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, bigtelco said:

It would be great if at "launch" Evernote actually provided users with a guide to what had changed.  Many, many user hours are being wasted because of this poor communication.  

Completely agree. Many people have completely missed the things that have now moved to the insert menu. Also there are shorcuts (like the three dashes you mentioned) for nearly all of them which I haven't seen clearly documented anywhere, although some were available in the legacy version. For the record:

``` for a code block (bonus: `inline code`)

[][][]x3 (3x3 table) ([] is open square close sqare bracket)

[] for a checkbox provided it isn't at the beginning of a line

• Like 1
On 1/15/2018 at 6:59 AM, CalS said:

Try doing a File - Exit from EN and restarting EN.

I am a business user of Evernote. I bought the subscription only because of presentation mode and now this feature is not available in my windows version. Need to export my notes now and switch to a better alternative. 

• Level 5*
On 11/24/2020 at 1:42 PM, Kunal Malhotra said:

I am a business user of Evernote. I bought the subscription only because of presentation mode and now this feature is not available in my windows version. Need to export my notes now and switch to a better alternative. 

Your choice.  You can continue to use the older version of EN until/if this feature is added back or the older version is sunsetted.

What I find really annoying is that I can't search within a note. For example, If I search for "proverb", I know I have it at least 23 times in my note, yet, it says no results, yet they,re all highlighted in my notes but it will not bring me to the results. The arrows don't work either. 
Surely this is really a bad flaw? Especially since it's a premium feature. Am I searching wrongly? 

• Like 1

Version 10 is a hot mess. I have installed legacy, but I'm not confident they won't pull access to legacy before fixing all the issues with version 10. Because of that, I'm seriously looking at transitioning the three accounts I use away from Evernote into Onedrive/Onenote. I get that Evernote wants to innovate, but you can't step backwards on your power users. This is a joke. 

• Like 2
On 10/11/2020 at 6:53 PM, lisec said:

I'm as pissed as everyone else, and really angry at Evernote for putting out this version without FULL details (surely they must have expected this blow-back), BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features. So I'll hang on the older version and give them a bit of time to do their work. Yes, the screwed up big time with this, but it really was just an error of releasing too early. At least that's what I hope.

As so many others have said, the of v.10 has totally destroyed my workflow. The scramble to continue using EN v10 is making my days very long.. I've relied on EN so long that I don't have a clue where to start looking at potential replacements. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated though I cringe at the idea of moving my work group elsewhere -- I fear we will loose so much information.

• Like 3

My current approach is simply revert back to v6.25.1.9091 (the last version before they change to v10), if you still have a copy. If I use the v10, my workflow is destroyed, like you.  I have lots of lots of frustration very now and then, bad for health, bad for productivity/efficiency.

I am happy with v6.25.1.9091 for now, till my subscription ends Jun 2021.  If the v10 can catch up with all (or most) of the features in v6 that my workflow can restored.  Then I will renew he subscription.  Else I will stop.

In the mean time, start looking for alternatives.

If you don't have the old copy v6.25.1.901, you can use the legacy copy (refer here : https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314).  I think it is v6.25.2.????.  It is about the same, I think.  Just the ugly grey elephant.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

no longer support the classic version any time soon, then what will we do?

I missed the "any time soon",  but regardless    
the Legacy product is working well for me in the present    
I have no concerns in the present

I backup my data; I have not experienced data loss, but I know I can recover

Before Legacy sunsets, I will switch to a new product    
Work on Version 10 will have advanced, and may well be the product I chose

52 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

We care about your data, the actual users of Evernote classic, but new Evernote have proven by their total lack of feedback to this shocking terrible “upgrade” they don’t care one jot for your or my data. We are just tiny numbers in their bigger picture that count for literally nothing. I feel betrayed and de-valued, stupid of me I suppose to think for one second I was important as one of their long term paying customers. 
Their silence is deafening. Version 10 is unusable and they glibly say they will no longer support the classic version any time soon, then what will we do?

You are not alone. Actually Evernote has ignored ALL kinds of users since no users can have a stable and usable app to use. The recent limiting devices has pissed off many free users to Notion as you can see their voices on Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Alvin C said:

since no users can have a stable and usable app to use.

The Evernote Legacy product is both stable and usable

36 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I missed the "any time soon",  but regardless    
the Legacy product is working well for me in the present    
I have no concerns in the present

I backup my data; I have not experienced data loss, but I know I can recover

Before Legacy sunsets, I will switch to a new product    
Work on Version 10 will have advanced, and may well be the product I chose

As EN hasn't really given a timeline of when they will remove v6.25, I have also started backing up my EN notebooks regularly. Someone had mentioned Backupery so I looked into it. It will only work with Evernote V6.25.1 and lower - they tell you it won't work with V10. Besides running an automatic backup, you can specify all or only certain notebooks and whether you ALSO want to do a back up in HTML The default backup saves ENEX files.

My just-in-case backup backup plan...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Colleen O said:

running an automatic backup ... Backupery

Backupery is a good product and works well with Evernote Legacy   
Personally, my backups are automated using an AppleScript (Mac)
 Daily incremental and Weekly Full using Evernote's export feature (HTML format)

On 11/22/2020 at 12:08 PM, Koandco said:

I agree with you 100%.

However, the dividing line is there.  They just moved it.  Towards the upper-right, there's a blue dot with a white plus - and there it is.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, artlieberman said:

However, the dividing line is there.  They just moved it.  Towards the upper-right, there's a blue dot with a white plus - and there it is.

or just type three dashes  and enter

---<enter>

As I make changes to a note, while I am editing, the note "refreshes" and my edits are gone. Or I will get a warning saying that there is another version of this note. They are not technically conflicting notes since they are not in that notebook, but I am having duplicates of the same note.

Besides major issues of not having the confidence that my edits are there, it is very annoying to end up with duplicates of notes.

It also happens when I edit the title of a brand new note. I will type, hit tab to go to the body...all of a sudden the title is cut out, like it only accepted partial key strokes.

Are these happening to anyone else?

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

As I make changes to a note, while I am editing, the note "refreshes" and my edits are gone. Or I will get a warning saying that there is another version of this note. They are not technically conflicting notes since they are not in that notebook, but I am having duplicates of the same note.

Besides major issues of not having the confidence that my edits are there, it is very annoying to end up with duplicates of notes.

It also happens when I edit the title of a brand new note. I will type, hit tab to go to the body...all of a sudden the title is cut out, like it only accepted partial key strokes.

Are these happening to anyone else?

That sounds pretty bad, luckily I have only had one occasion of a conflict.
Have you submitted a support ticket for this?

Argh, the update has broken a feature I didn't even realise I used so often!

In the old version, when I want to apply the same tags to a note as an existing note, I can select both notes & bring up the "assign tags" dialog, with "hide unassigned tags" checked. This gives me a handy list of all the current shared tags (which are checked) and those that aren't shared (with a black dot in the box). I can then either click "select all" to apply all of the tags to each note, or I can manually select the tags I want if I don't need to apply them all.

In the new version, if I bring up the dialog it only shows the current shared tags, not those that aren't shared. There doesn't appear to be any easy way to copy across the tags from one note to another, the only option is to add them all manually. Obviously this isn't a major problem if it's just a few tags, but for some types of notes I use quite a lot of tags so its incredibly tedious and prone to mistakes to do this manually.

Looks like I'll be reverting to the old version until the new one reinstates most of the old features (no import folder?!?!!!). I'm usually someone who looks forward to new releases, I'm not some kind of dinosaur who can't adjust, but this one just breaks so many aspects of my workflow & feels like quite a different app.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Saskia said:

In the new version, if I bring up the dialog it only shows the current shared tags, not those that aren't shared. There doesn't appear to be any easy way to copy across the tags from one note to another, the only option is to add them all manually.

There is a solution but it only really works if you don't have nested tags.

If you select your tagged note and the untagged note you will see the blue multi-select menu appear at the bottom of the screen. Clicking the tag icon in this menu brings up the edit tags menu. A tag will have a blue box with a white line if the tag is only applied to the tagged note. clicking it replaces it with a tick and it will be assigned to both notes

image.png.0a9989c2d9346d24ccd0e22e733c5fe5.png

However, I have not found a way to expand the entire tag hierarchy in any of the views that have a tag hierarchy. This means finding all the tags in your source note will be impractical if you have a deeply nested tag structure.

58 minutes ago, Saskia said:

Argh, the update has broken a feature I didn't even realise I used so often!

In the old version, when I want to apply the same tags to a note as an existing note, I can select both notes & bring up the "assign tags" dialog, with "hide unassigned tags" checked. This gives me a handy list of all the current shared tags (which are checked) and those that aren't shared (with a black dot in the box). I can then either click "select all" to apply all of the tags to each note, or I can manually select the tags I want if I don't need to apply them all.

Oh that is not good. Like you, I use that feature all the time - multiple times/day.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

There is a solution but it only really works if you don't have nested tags.

If you select your tagged note and the untagged note you will see the blue multi-select menu appear at the bottom of the screen. Clicking the tag icon in this menu brings up the edit tags menu. A tag will have a blue box with a white line if the tag is only applied to the tagged note. clicking it replaces it with a tick and it will be assigned to both notes

image.png.0a9989c2d9346d24ccd0e22e733c5fe5.png

However, I have not found a way to expand the entire tag hierarchy in any of the views that have a tag hierarchy. This means finding all the tags in your source note will be impractical if you have a deeply nested tag structure.

Unfortunately my tags are all nested, some of them a few layers deep :(

But thanks for the suggestion, hopefully it might help someone else having the same issue!

23 hours ago, BenBo said:

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You will be advised to step back to a previous version, which will certainly allow you to carry on as if nothing had ha....   AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH <sob!>

23 hours ago, BenBo said:

🤬

On 11/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, Koandco said:

What I find really annoying is that I can't search within a note. For example, If I search for "proverb", I know I have it at least 23 times in my note, yet, it says no results, yet they,re all highlighted in my notes but it will not bring me to the results. The arrows don't work either. 
Surely this is really a bad flaw? Especially since it's a premium feature. Am I searching wrongly? 

For me, searching in a note and moving through  the search results using the arrows works just fine. I use ctrl-f to initiate the search (f means "find").

4 hours ago, Mickey58 said:

For me, searching in a note and moving through  the search results using the arrows works just fine. I use ctrl-f to initiate the search (f means "find").

This is only happening in an ultra long note, over 100 pages. The search and arrows work in other smaller notes. Still, it's extremely upsetting as the only reason I've subscribed to Premium was to be able to search inside notes. 

1 minute ago, Koandco said:

This is only happening in an ultra long note, over 100 pages. The search and arrows work in other smaller notes. Still, it's extremely upsetting as the only reason I've subscribed to Premium was to be able to search inside notes. 

Ok, understand. To me, the absence of/changes to local notebooks are probably the most concerning change.

Having been in software development myself for many years, I understand that sometimes a piece of software needs to be completely redone (refactored), if key imitations can't be addressed within the old architecture. And I also understand that this comes often with disruptions and loss of functionality ("regressions"). This has probably happend to Evernote in V10.

I'm more concerned that obvious, small missing functions have not beent addressed in Evernote over many years. To me (as a heavy user of Evernote), the single most missing feature is to return to the last point of edit when opening a note. 

Whether the new architecture will allow to make these things better over time, remains unclear though.

• Like 2

So, I opened a ticket, about the impossibility of searching in an ultra long note. Here's Evernote's reply:

I understand that the words you search are not appearing on the search result of the shared notebook.

Upon checking with our development team, this is a known limitation that we are still working on.

I know this has caused you inconvenience and I sincerely apologize for that.

This said, why when I retrieve the partner, does it still happen? I'm using an older computer (as my falsely macbook pro Cadillac crashed due to automatic updates sigh!!!) so I have an older version of Evernote and am way more happy with it. 

Add me to the list of very unhappy customers now needing to look for a new note manager.

esp the lack of full offline capability, as often i am in places with no online access .. this is one of the primary reasons i moved to evernote a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, lcc said:

esp the lack of full offline capability, as often i am in places with no online access .. this is one of the primary reasons i moved to evernote a few years ago.

Evernote continues to have "offline capability"    
Was there something specific?

On 10/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, Shane D. said:

@gazumped Yes, you can still use an older version.

Please see this resource:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

I am fully aware that, for now, I have the option to use the older program however as I have spent considerable time cleaning up Notes which, in v6, used a wide variety of Windows fonts and lost much of the formatting and layout I used for clarity and for Presentations. Going back to v6 does not take me back to that formatting. I feel the best investment of my time is to move forward accommodating the changes between v6 and v10.

I agree the new Note editor is a big improvement. It is however very frustrating to paste information into a Note and then need to spend time cleaning up scrambled paragraphs and images and finding new ways to highlight information needed for a presentation and accompanying printouts and PDF files.

So, in fairness, I have not LOST information but I HAVE lost a lot of time repeating editing, etc.

2 hours ago, Gale Rhoades said:

It is however very frustrating to paste information into a Note and then need to spend time cleaning up scrambled paragraphs

I find that ctrl-shift-V (paste and match style) sometimes works better than the simple ctrl-V.

• Like 2

I use virtual desktops for various contexts on macOS.

Using the old Evernote app, I kept separate Evernote windows on each desktop as needed. 

Now this simple feature is gone, and this chilling thread tells me it is never coming back.

This means I need to replace a core note taking app I have used across all my devices for many years. You guys really stepped in it when you bought the Electron framework without understanding its limitations.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  First  comment - you may want to change the tag line for this section:  "If you have feedback related to the older version of Evernote for Windows, post here!" (my emphasis) - I think you mean the new one?

Some questions arise before I update my current version 6.25...

1. Is there a "step back" option? - i.e. once updated would I be able to revert to my 6.25 version if the new app is not performing well?
  2. Local (unsynced) notes are no longer supported - do you still store local copies of the notes synced with the server database?  I ask because I use Backupery's app to export my notes to ENEX on a daily basis and I'd like to continue to do so after updating.
  3. For anyone wary of updating to the new version - how long do you forsee support for legacy versions continuing?  Will there still be bug fixes and updates for those versions?
  4. Presentation Mode is something which is very useful for academic users - is there any prospect of this coming back / some sort of integration with a presentation app?
  5. Another service I use is Postach.io - will that app continue to be able to convert my notes to a blog?

I can work around the Outlook Clipper no longer being supported (there's still email!) but the list of unsupported features in the help page says (again my emphasis)

Can we expect an exhaustive list of 'no longer supported' features anytime soon?

Presentation Mode is something for which I bought premium subscription of Evernote. If this is discontinued, it is as good as another notes taking app. Will be discontinuing my membership as the most wanted feature has just been removed

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  First  comment - you may want to change the tag line for this section:  "If you have feedback related to the older version of Evernote for Windows, post here!" (my emphasis) - I think you mean the new one?

Some questions arise before I update my current version 6.25...

1. Is there a "step back" option? - i.e. once updated would I be able to revert to my 6.25 version if the new app is not performing well?
  2. Local (unsynced) notes are no longer supported - do you still store local copies of the notes synced with the server database?  I ask because I use Backupery's app to export my notes to ENEX on a daily basis and I'd like to continue to do so after updating.
  3. For anyone wary of updating to the new version - how long do you forsee support for legacy versions continuing?  Will there still be bug fixes and updates for those versions?
  4. Presentation Mode is something which is very useful for academic users - is there any prospect of this coming back / some sort of integration with a presentation app?
  5. Another service I use is Postach.io - will that app continue to be able to convert my notes to a blog?

I can work around the Outlook Clipper no longer being supported (there's still email!) but the list of unsupported features in the help page says (again my emphasis)

Can we expect an exhaustive list of 'no longer supported' features anytime soon?

Presentation Mode is something for which I bought premium subscription of Evernote. If this is discontinued, it is as good as another notes taking app. Will be discontinuing my membership as the most wanted feature has just been removed

• Like 1

Awful new version... Also notices we lost the ability to export all notes. I backup all my notes on a weekly basis, and the current version allows only export for 50 notes at a time.

I currently looking for alternatives. If a company like Evernote decides to do this new version clearly without thinking about users, I don't like to think how it treats our data.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:49 PM, Navneet Gulati said:

Same. That's the one feature that convinced me to get a subscription. There are open source apps with a similar feature set without the presentation mode feature in Evernote. Also considering to discontinue my subscription and moving to alternatives.

18 hours ago, Lucas Vitti said:

Awful new version... Also notices we lost the ability to export all notes. I backup all my notes on a weekly basis, and the current version allows only export for 50 notes at a time.

I currently looking for alternatives. If a company like Evernote decides to do this new version clearly without thinking about users, I don't like to think how it treats our data.

I export one Notebook at a time to an enex file. I keep thinking that I saw an option to export all Notebooks but as I cannot find it, I guess it was just my imagination.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Gale Rhoades said:

I keep thinking that I saw an option to export all Notebooks

Export all is an option for the Evernote Legacy product
I use it for weekly backups

Expanded export options are pending for the Evernote Version 10 product

Yes, thank you, I do know that Export ALL is a Legacy option but I have been able to move all other usage to version 10 and am mainly happy with the results. The similarity of Evernote on both the PCs and the Mac has helped greatly. I am hoping for the same improvement when I can install the Android version on my Samsung tablet and smartphone.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Marcus W said:

Same. That's the one feature that convinced me to get a subscription. There are open source apps with a similar feature set without the presentation mode feature in Evernote. Also considering to discontinue my subscription and moving to alternatives.

Hi marcus, what open source apps are you thinkin of?

pete

Hello,

On 12/17/2020 at 6:23 AM, DTLow said:

Export all is an option for the Evernote Legacy product
I use it for weekly backups

Expanded export options are pending for the Evernote Version 10 product

I also export manually all my notes to enex and html format every month.

I hope it will be restored in v10. I was hoping one day Evernote would include a automatic backup solution but for now, i just hope i could continue to manually backup...

On 10/10/2020 at 11:18 AM, MarcSant said:

It's really sad. I started my migration plan. And I believe, I'm not alone on this.

What is it? There will be many- including me- who will follow suit if basic core features aren't restored.

• Like 1

For those running both versions- Legacy and the latest- a note of caution. I closed v10 and installed the Legacy version. Unbeknownst to me, v10 was still running (as a process) as I opened the Legacy version. After a couple of hours my Win10 system slowed to a crawl and, upon checking Task Manager, was shocked to see the closed version of Evernote (v10) consuming over 32GB (I have a 64GB system) of RAM and my system was pegged at 99% Memory usage. 

I then attempted to close the offending Evernote process and my system crashed.

I've rebooted and things seem to be ok. I've ensured v10 isn't loading at startup and will continue to monitor as I run EN Legacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/22/2020 at 5:27 PM, AlexAtx said:

Ugh, I use screen capture all the time!  It's just GONE.  This is a very important feature in my work!  Would have liked to know about removing functionality prior to upgrading.

Is there a work around?

Windows 10 "Snip & Sketch" copies screen snip to Windows Clipboard.  Your clip may be

• pasted into an EV note
  • shared via email to your Evernote email address.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, PhD Radical said:

more efficient than copying internal links and pasting into TOC note

More efficient yes, but not as flexible. With the new system you can add to an existing TOC or dashboard and easily drag the items around to re-order (if you paste into a numbered list). Very happy for the TOC functionailty to return but please keep the new functionaility as well.

Just installed the latest update.  It's dire.  I'm not even a power user but the basic layout and the mess they have made of tags is just awful.  

Shortcuts don't work, layout options are limited.  Have we had a statement from evernote detailing when/if any of this will be fixed? I pay for this service and am bitterly regretting my decision .... 

• Like 2

I have mainly used Evernote on a Mac to archive and search files (pdfs, web clippings, a few notes). Since the new version has lost so much functionality, I've researched other apps that I'm considering switching to. Any thoughts about these: Mendeley, I Librarian, Zotero, PDF Stacks, AbleDocs?

Unless Evernote gets better, I'll likely jump ship. The question is to which other app.

• Level 5

Maybe it is, but it is not 1:1 comparable.

Good for dashboards, not so for information storage & retrieval. Many functions that are predefined in EN must be set up by the user there. As always it depends on the use case which app fits better.

1 hour ago, mgrune said:

The reality is the new 10 app is never going to have the functionality of 6 as it's simply not built with that in mind.  It's dumbed down by design.  

Does this mean that it's not possible for Evernote to add back some of the features in Evernote Legacy? 

3 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

Does this mean that it's not possible for Evernote to add back some of the features in Evernote Legacy? 

No. There are many 'legacy' features that are scheduled to be brought back - indeed some already have been restored.

However, it doesn't mean that all the missing features will be brought back. I don't suppose that the Evernote team even knows which features are coming or going as a definite list.

• Like 2