We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
MarcSant

The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

Idea

What the heck happened to shortcuts. 128 notes displayed by relevance?  what makes one note more relevant than another?  I have over 5k notes with a Meeting tag.  A shortcut that displays them in date created order has been a go to for years. Now it is gone. This is the note from tech: The search sorting is currently not implemented yet. For now, Evernote search provides result by relevance. This feature is on our to-do list and we plan on building them soon.

Help!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I also use Scrivener.

So do I!  I mean I *have* it, but haven't used it in a long while. I just use it for screenwriting - it never occurred to me to use it for something else. I'll load it up again and see.  I think I downloaded it to replace an old app called MindManager that I used to use to outline my PhD. It was like a flow chart program. I miss that one.

• Like 1

This - - I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack. -- alone is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Other things:

Also, I can print multiple notes at one time or at least I can't figure out how to do it.

I can't sort or filter by notebook.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

New version is terrible

In Notes 
Cannot remove note list
Cannot remove Left column
Cannot remove spellcheck
Cannot remove formatting bar
Cannot customise toolbar at top of note

The new version should be called 'Cannot 10.0'

• Like 2

There is nothing aggressive or wrong about talking about leaving or discussing alternatives. 
I have not seen any demonization, or any uncivil language, certainly not on this page. 

Most people here are polite, helpful and genuine. 

Talking about a leaving is not a 'strategy' it is a genuine conversation.

They have made good suggestions, and I have seen no personal attacks. 
If someone has used has behaved badly, they are certainly the exception. I have not seen this.

There is nothing wrong with honest discussion, and it should be encouraged, not called 'negative'.

• Like 1

Why didn't Evernote finish building this new version before releasing it?

I have managed to go back to an older version to get the full functionality back. I will also look at alternatives.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kolmir said:

You can listen to the recent interview with EvN's CEO. He officially confessed, that they don't plan anything. This mean they produce software in a pretty chaotic and amateur way... which results in obvious side-effects we experience today with v10. This is unfortunate.

It looks like they ignore achievements of generations of software developers i.e. methods like for example Agile, Scrum, LSD or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_development_life_cycle

Painter gets stuck in the middle of a room

This sounds like the best explanation so far of what’s going on by far thank you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, t8769 said:

How do you turn off spellcheck? 

Did you  read the posts above?

So far there seems to be no way to turn off or to adjust the (Chromium-Electron-) spellcheck in this version. May be this will change or be added in the coming updates, may be included with the pronounced reintegration of preferences. 

@MarcSant

Good list.  There are threads in which others list function important to them.  The compilation would be far more extensive that what was included with EN's release blog.  But EN says some of the stuff is just around the corner.  Not sure which corner(s) nor when though..

• Like 3

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kolmir said:

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

I am also a user of MS OneNote (collaborative work with some specific institutions).

As far as I know, ON notebooks are stored on the cloud (OneDrive), notes are not local - just the same problem as EN v.10.

Syncing is realiable, web-clipper for Chrome and the android widget work fine. You're right, the software is well written and stable.

ON looks fancy (lots of color and icons, the design is very nice) but is not conceived to manage thousands of notes. It simply lacks the tools, I don`t mean that ON is technically unable to save thousands of notes.

It works  well for small-to-medium databases, but - in my humble opinion - is not a substitute for heavy users of Evernote with large databases.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, MarcSant said:

It's really sad. I started my migration plan. And I believe, I'm not alone on this.

no, you are note alone...what are you planning to migrate to?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mi_cha said:

I am also a user of MS OneNote (collaborative work with some specific institutions).

As far as I know, ON notebooks are stored on the cloud (OneDrive), notes are not local - just the same problem as EN v.10.

Syncing is realiable, web-clipper for Chrome and the android widget work fine. You're right, the software is well written and stable.

ON looks fancy (lots of color and icons, the design is very nice) but is not conceived to manage thousands of notes. It simply lacks the tools, I don`t mean that ON is technically unable to save thousands of notes.

It works  well for small-to-medium databases, but - in my humble opinion - is not a substitute for heavy users of Evernote with large databases.

I use ON quite heavily for business and you can handle a lot of notes and the search is pretty decent these days, I do agree about the lack of tools to manage thousands of notes though. If ON had the tagging and search functionality as EN it would be fantastic, I am not a fan of the low level tagging in ON.

Regarding the sync, on my machines ON stores the notebooks in full in the OneDrive folder so I can access them fully offline, as opposed to other files that are 'available on demand' in OneDrive.

• Like 2

So glad that I found this thread. 'Upgrading' to the new version is no longer an option. Several years ago EN 'improved' their product by removing several functions that I used regularly as well as did not have a working extension for Firefox. I gave in & started using Chrome and continued to request/complain about the missing functions. Some of them were reinstituted and I stopped my search for an alternative. 

With this change I must find an alternative that can handle a rather large database. Please post your recommendations!

• Like 1

OneNote have a great tool to batch import your notes. For me, is most close to Evernote that I know. The Mobile app is really good, and the web capture extension is better than Evernote. But, it's lacks some good features that Evernote have (or at least, had).

Notion, is another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

This is program that I'm testing right now, until Evernote Legacy is supported. 

• Thanks 2

1 hora atrás, toao disse:

I'm testing Notion: another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

14 horas atrás, Kolmir disse:

I made some tests using the import tool, and, here are some important tips:

- Don't try to import everything in one batch. Take the small Notebooks and import 2 by 2, or one by one.

- Encrypted notes need to be de-crypted before you import them.

- Plug you Mac or PC to lan port or a relly fast reliable wifi network. The import tool read your notes and save them directly into the cloud, so, a fast network is important. 

- You can import using the Legacy version if is installed, or the file exported by Export option. Using the exported file appears to be faster than using the direct access method. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 2

13 horas atrás, Kolmir disse:

In the End User License agreement, probably have  some obscure clause that protects Evernote company from Lawsuits like this. But, we can do more if we make a coordinate social media buzz. Contact CNN? Or another important tech channel?

They need to be know that we are all pissed off. At least, I'm in the right moment. 

How irritating it can be since I'm here in the middle of Sunday thinking about how to migrate my data to another service, instead to playing a video game or playing with my kids?

• Like 1

I hope Francesco D'Alessio is aware. There are a lot of die-hard users (me included) who can't believe what Evernote have done here.

Notion - I thought it did have offline @MarcSant? But currently no hidden OCR index behind images

OneNote - no ootb tags which makes searching harder for me. It has OCR though

Roam - ain't cheap...

Airtable - more structured information rather than freeform writing?

Awful for me to be talking about moving off Evernote after 12 years, but this release is forcing my hand.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, avevers said:

Notion - I thought it did have offline @MarcSant? But currently no hidden OCR index behind images

No OCR, weak privacy, no global search inside the tables.

38 minutes ago, avevers said:

Airtable - more structured information rather than freeform writing?

Great tables but haven't full support all other languages than English.

I am also looking to migrate to Notion.  For offline, this is what is available now.  Hopefully, a better offline solution is provided soon.

No OCR now, but it is on the roadmap.  I can live with it.  And probably explore other add-on option.

What are important but lacking in Notion are: Tags and Web Clipper.

The Tags are local to the Page or Database.  There is a Global Tags Database workaround which I am still exploring and testing.  

The Web Clipper is really not as good as Evernote.  Need to find a solution to this before I switch.

There's also Standard Notes (https://standardnotes.org/), which heavily uses on markdown. Looks interesting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, imagemaster said:

No OCR, weak privacy, no global search inside the tables.

Great tables but haven't full support all other languages than English.

Notion is nothing like as mature as Evernote (6, not 10), then... I use Notion as a CRM but not looked into using it as a viable Evernote replacement. Might still be the closest alternative we currently have, and they seem more open about their planned roadmap.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, avevers said:

There's also Standard Notes (https://standardnotes.org/), which heavily uses on markdown. Looks interesting.

Thanks.  This looks closer to Evernote.  Will explore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lisec said:

BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features.

We are seeing currently on Evn side following things: no integrity, lack of proper management, and poor engineering standards. No communication. No proper Quality Assurance.

Therefore, I afraid, that their 2-years foundation may be pretty weak and unstable. Building on that may be just as bad as building a house on swamps/quicksand...

EvN may be simply a sinking ship. An example of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

On 10/11/2020 at 7:43 PM, toao said:

I'm exploring Notion, but some of the features I love about Evernote are missing from Notion:

Notion doesn't let you create a note from the notification bar in Android (creating notes quickly is important to me)
No OCR
No location tagging of notes created on an Android phone
Notion's create a new note keyboard shortcut in Windows (control-N) conflicts with Google Chrome
Notion doesn't have an "all notes" view
The Android app doesn't have the ability to create photo notes (though you can share a photo with Notion and add it that way) 

I'm going to continue to use the legacy version of Evernote for awhile. It works fine and I hope that over the next few weeks, Evernote 10 will become more like Evernote 6. 

I've been an Evernote Premium user since 2008.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lisec said:

I'm as pissed as everyone else, and really angry at Evernote for putting out this version without FULL details (surely they must have expected this blow-back), BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features. So I'll hang on the older version and give them a bit of time to do their work. Yes, the screwed up big time with this, but it really was just an error of releasing too early. At least that's what I hope.

I sort of feel the same--though I can't actually try out the new version until I upgrade to a Windows 10 system in a month or so. By then, some of the desired functionality may be starting to trickle back in. I also use Scrivener. They are a much, much smaller company, with only a couple of programmers, and they have had a new Windows program in beta for a couple of years, not wanting to release a finalized version until it's really ready. A lot of users are really aggravated, though the beta does seem to work reliably.

So, the Goldilocks syndrome: this software released too early, it's all borked and feature-free, I'm going elsewhere; this software took too long to be finalized, I'm out of patience, I'm going elsewhere; this software released right on time and was absolutely perfect, I'm hallucinating. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, MarcSant said:

Please, if you noted some another missing feature, feel free to contribute to this list.

- Lack of bunch of useful keyboard shortcuts such as F6 putting you in the search box, F2 putting you the note title

- Not being able to select more than 50 notes at a time

- CTRL + D to change the font, size, color etc. I guess part of the keyboard shortcuts above, but I use it so much that I have to type it. :) 

- If I pulled a note from the shortcut menu, the card view goes away and the note takes up more space which is fine but now my CTRL + 2 for example does not take me to the shortcut item. 

8 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I'm exploring Notion

I am exploring Nimbus and I must say it is really awesome so far. I am missing the card view and being able to store and Excel file in the app that you can launch does not seem to work for Nimbus. But everything else, they are hitting what I wanted from Evernote.

• Like 1

I`ve just found Nimbus Notes today and I'll give a try. Notion and OneNote do not seem substitutes to me.

The prospect of so many definite changes in Evernote chills me. The Evernote I have been using for more than a decade is gone. I believe premium power users just became redundant to them, they are focusing on other customer categories.

I am not willing to restructure my workflow to fit in Evernote. There are too much crucial features missing in v10.

And abandoning us to an unsupported legacy version is unbearable...

• Like 3

It's really useful to learn of these alternatives. Sometimes the smaller players can still deliver the biggest value.

Keep 'em coming - I want to be ready for the Evernopocalpyse if it is indeed coming.

It is missing the "Top List" view option - which is necessary for how I use Evernote.   I had to find an old downloaded version and reinstall that one...

• Like 3

On 10/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, MarcSant said:

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

This. I don't know what they were thinking - my notes are MESSY to look at at this point. As well as the lack of colors to choose from. So we got four new highlighter colors (which could already be accessed by a work-around copy-paste thing in previous versions) and got pretty much all creative user input deleted for what? Streamlining? The entire update feels like a GIANT step back compared to the previous version, I am very disappointed :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dsm42 said:

It is missing the "Top List" view option - which is necessary for how I use Evernote.   I had to find an old downloaded version and reinstall that one...

Essential to me too. What a disastrous release.

Also - table of contents gone? (I wouldn't know- I moved back to 6.5 in no time)

2 hours ago, mi_cha said:

I`ve just found Nimbus Notes today and I'll give a try. Notion and OneNote do not seem substitutes to me.

My first 5 minutes testing Nimbus Desktop client for Windows. Unsystematic impressions:

pros:

1. offline access (offline database synced to server NOT local notebooks as EN 6.x)
  2. sync button and status info available (peace of mind to me)
  3. folders show note count number
  4. color tags available for folders and notes
  5. web clipper for Chrome works fine

cons:

1. the Windows desktop client is written in Electron, just like the new EN 10. So, it feels like a web app, VERY little  customization (no status bar, no toolbar for shortcuts i.e.!!)
  2. unable to open more than one note in different windows simultaneously
  3. title is incorporated to the note text, as a header - so it disappears as the user scrolls the text down, just like EN 10
  4. internal links work, but they look like a https:// path, followed by a long alphanumeric sequence (you have to click to know what note it refers to]
  5. a bullet list is automatically created if the line starts with a symbol (no way to disable it, annoying)
  6. few fonts (default | serif | handwritten | mono) and sizes (S - M  - L), just like EN 10
  7. detailed note list view is not available (in fact, there is only one list view mode, which can be sorted by "title", "created date" and "update")

In short, as far as I could see, Nimbus is no substitute for EN 6.25, but it might be a similiar competitor to EN 10, if it remains as it is.

In this case, I will be forced to adjust to a new note-taking concept, with way less functions.

For now: working with EN 6.25 and watching how EN 10 evolves (hope EN come to its senses!!).

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, DMiddleton said:

Regarding the sync, on my machines ON stores the notebooks in full in the OneDrive folder so I can access them fully offline, as opposed to other files that are 'available on demand' in OneDrive.

You're right, my mistake: ON notebooks can be stored offline.

Another missing feature for me: the tabs on the right (pages) are not automatically sorted (by title, date created, date modified, whatever), so, it is really hard to manage more than 50 pages.

1 hour ago, mi_cha said:

You're right, my mistake: ON notebooks can be stored offline.

The old OneNote used to save the file locally, and I think perhaps the stand-alone app does as well, but I remember getting an email about 2-3 years ago where they said OneNote was now online only. I know there was some distinction between stand-alone and the new OneNote.

7 hours ago, JaneneF said:

This - - I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack. -- alone is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Other things:

Also, I can print multiple notes at one time or at least I can't figure out how to do it.

I can't sort or filter by notebook.

The new search and filter takes some getting used to. The key is to select the notebook before you start doing anything. If you then search you will have an option (it's very faint) below the search bar to filter in the notebook you have slected so need to click add filter there

image.png.ff817c7365b1f0b46dcf86a5f92f8f29.png

For filtering, again if you start in a notebook it will filter the notes in that notebook.

There are all sorts of things you simply cannot do easily - the main ones that annoy me being:

• Can't save a filter only a search even if the net results are identical.
  • Can't select "any" like you can in the legacy version.

The advanced search syntax does work which is something

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, avevers said:

Also - table of contents gone? (I wouldn't know- I moved back to 6.5 in no time)

There is an (in my opinion better) alternative to the TOC but I don't think it is obvious. Once you have selected the notes you need to select "copy internal links" either by right clicking a selected note or from the three dots in the blue multi-select menu. You can then paste those links into a new note. If you hit the numbered list icon first and then paste them in you will get a numbered list. The reasons I like it more than the existing system is:

• You can reorder the numbered list by dragging and dropping
  • You can add the list to an existing note - I have alot of dashboard notes which are my constantly evolving gateway into a particular topic

8 hours ago, Mike P said:

The advanced search syntax does work which is something

What does the advanced search syntax consist of? I mean how does it differ?

The advanced syntax are all those wonderful tricks for searching for exactly what you want. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax 

The new search/filter process makes some of these less needed because of the built in ability to search/filter for things like notes containing pdfs. This is provided you have remembered to build up your search in the notebook -> filter -> text order I described.

16 hours ago, mi_cha said:

My first 5 minutes testing Nimbus Desktop client for Windows. Unsystematic impressions:

pros:

1. offline access (offline database synced to server NOT local notebooks as EN 6.x)
  2. sync button and status info available (peace of mind to me)
  3. folders show note count number
  4. color tags available for folders and notes
  5. web clipper for Chrome works fine

cons:

1. the Windows desktop client is written in Electron, just like the new EN 10. So, it feels like a web app, VERY little  customization (no status bar, no toolbar for shortcuts i.e.!!)
  2. unable to open more than one note in different windows simultaneously
  3. title is incorporated to the note text, as a header - so it disappears as the user scrolls the text down, just like EN 10
  4. internal links work, but they look like a https:// path, followed by a long alphanumeric sequence (you have to click to know what note it refers to]
  5. a bullet list is automatically created if the line starts with a symbol (no way to disable it, annoying)
  6. few fonts (default | serif | handwritten | mono) and sizes (S - M  - L), just like EN 10
  7. detailed note list view is not available (in fact, there is only one list view mode, which can be sorted by "title", "created date" and "update")

In short, as far as I could see, Nimbus is no substitute for EN 6.25, but it might be a similiar competitor to EN 10, if it remains as it is.

In this case, I will be forced to adjust to a new note-taking concept, with way less functions.

For now: working with EN 6.25 and watching how EN 10 evolves (hope EN come to its senses!!).

well my issue with nimbus is that they neither seem to have local notebooks nor zero knowledge encryption, i.e. they can read your notes...otherwise it would have been great, but this is a show stopper for me...

1 minute ago, Mike P said:

The advanced syntax are all those wonderful tricks for searching for exactly what you want. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax 

The new search/filter process makes some of these less needed because of the built in ability to search/filter for things like notes containing pdfs. This is provided you have remembered to build up your search in the notebook -> filter -> text order I described.

Thanks. That's for the legacy version. So I guess there are no new search features, like boolean or anything like that, aside from their new ability to "filter".

21 minutes ago, lisec said:

That's for the legacy version. So I guess there are no new search features, like boolean or anything like that, aside from their new ability to "filter".

It was promised in the EN YouTube video about the new search that the old search syntax would continue to work - and it does. I agree that Boolean search is an obvious omission in EN. I did read something from ages ago that stated that the multitude of different EN versions made Boolean search difficult to implement. Perhaps with a common code base and searches largely taking place on the server, Boolean search is something that we will see in the future. 

Meanwhile, although the search has a few problems and you have to approach it in a certain way that seems logical to the developers, I generally like it and will be easier for most users while retaining the things that power users need. It has also improved massively since the early beta versions when I was creating posts with names like "The current search/filter set up is ridiculous"

Evernote just forced an update onto my system yesterday.

My initial  reaction is that the  MS Windows App version has been dumbed down to the web / phone version.

The single most important thing missing is that the ability to simply email a Note to someone seems to be gone .    And worse, if  you go to Share and click to get a copy of  a link, the person you send that to can't access the note to see it.   Says no access available even though they are in the shared list on the Notebook and Note.    This one change is big enough to me that I'm going shopping.  Just not acceptable to remove a core feature like emailing Notes with no warning.

10 hours ago, toao said:

well my issue with nimbus is that they neither seem to have local notebooks nor zero knowledge encryption, i.e. they can read your notes...otherwise it would have been great, but this is a show stopper for me...

no local notebooks,  but with offline access.  for encryption, evernote also does not have encryption (or very bare selected text encryption)

4 hours ago, TonyLim said:

no local notebooks,  but with offline access.  for encryption, evernote also does not have encryption (or very bare selected text encryption)

agreed, but prior to "Evernote Light" aka V10 Evernote at least had the local notebooks, which was my workaround for sensitive data. e2e encryption would be even better, but outside of joplin and devonthink (mac) few solutions seem to offer that....

On 10/11/2020 at 6:54 AM, MarcSant said:

Notion, is another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

This is what I'm spending my time researching a mission. The functionality with Notion is amazing, but the search function in Evernote is second to none. It is going to be hard to migrate as I've been using Evernote since 2007 and have over 20K notes currently.

Yes, Notion seems to have lots of functionality that Evernote does not have (some we have been asking for).  Besides local notebooks (or encryption), the major feature I need is the global tagging.  Although there is an alternate solution provided in Notion, but it is not truly global.

The next one is Nimbus notes, with global tagging (yet to test out).   But no local notebooks (or encryption).

Joplin could be another choice, with end-to-end encryption.  Open source.

I got another answer from Tech Support:

"

Jeffrey B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 13, 2020, 19:41 PDT

Hello Marcelo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your frustration regarding these missing features. We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. We are here to help.

Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative

Marcelo Santos

Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 PDT

“You can still use the Legacy version of Evernote in the future. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.”

How I can use the newest version since it lack’s core features that I use as daily basis?

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark.

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them.

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack

The newest version have this features? If yes, please show me. If not, I stick with legacy version until my migration plan is in course. After that, I will cease to use Evernote and hope you all good luck with this sinking ship.

Att,

-----

Marcelo Santos"

So, honestly, I give up. I don't know all you, but this time is enough for me.

Shame they didn't say which features.. that is a pretty vague answer.

Global system shortcuts and folder import are THE Core features  for me.

Right now I'm Searching where I can download the old version of the app.

UX changes may be good or bad time will tell but sth such basic for me like shortcuts ... hell no... i'm going back

On 10/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, avevers said:

It's really useful to learn of these alternatives. Sometimes the smaller players can still deliver the biggest value.

Keep 'em coming - I want to be ready for the Evernopocalpyse if it is indeed coming.

What about Joplin?

Seems the best alternative for EverNote.

6 hours ago, TonyLim said:

Yes, Notion seems to have lots of functionality that Evernote does not have (some we have been asking for).  Besides local notebooks (or encryption), the major feature I need is the global tagging.  Although there is an alternate solution provided in Notion, but it is not truly global.

The next one is Nimbus notes, with global tagging (yet to test out).   But no local notebooks (or encryption).

Joplin could be another choice, with end-to-end encryption.  Open source.

I just started exploring Joplin. Thanks.

Compared with OneNote and Notion, Joplin is a lot less complex, easier to use, and more like Evernote. I also like that the Android app was updated just a few days ago, always a good sign. 

I'm still hopeful that Evernote 10 will be as feature rich as Evernote 6. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for this topic.

First I was too upset because of this ***** version and thought "may be I am becoming too old for fast changing life" )))

Really, very disappointing upgrade. Had to downgrade to the old version.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, TK0047 said:

- Not being able to select more than 50 notes at a time

It may be useful for those who wish, to know that the limit of selecting 50 notes can be  changed to, as I recall ,1,000 notes by editing

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\config.json

amend the line which reads

"multiSelectionLimit": 50,

I would agree with the inevitable clamour which will say that this shouldn't be necessary. Perhaps it won't be when the promised ability to change 'Options' arrives. It is a workaround for those that want to try it out.

1 hour ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I just started exploring Joplin. Thanks.

How do you find Joplin as an alternative to EN? I found the use of Markdown to be a significant hindrance for me.

5 hours ago, MarcSant said:

I got another answer from Tech Support:

"

Jeffrey B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 13, 2020, 19:41 PDT

Hello Marcelo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your frustration regarding these missing features. We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. We are here to help.

Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative

Marcelo Santos

Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 PDT

“You can still use the Legacy version of Evernote in the future. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.”

How I can use the newest version since it lack’s core features that I use as daily basis?

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark.

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them.

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack

The newest version have this features? If yes, please show me. If not, I stick with legacy version until my migration plan is in course. After that, I will cease to use Evernote and hope you all good luck with this sinking ship.

Att,

-----

Marcelo Santos"

So, honestly, I give up. I don't know all you, but this time is enough for me.

That's just a dreadful, copy-paste, soulless response. And it does them no favours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, agsteele said:

How do you find Joplin as an alternative to EN? I found the use of Markdown to be a significant hindrance for me.

I've only been using Joplin for about thirty minutes, so my exploration is still in the early stages. 

I'm not a fan of markdown either. You can turn markdown off and use the WYSIWYG editor, which is more like Evernote. But when you turn Joplin's markdown editor off, you see this warning: "This is an experimental WYSIWYG editor for evaluation only. Please do not use with important notes as you may lose some data! See the introduction post for more information. TO SWITCH TO THE MARKDOWN EDITOR PLEASE PRESS "Code View"."

Joplin has many features I need, but, unlike the Android version of Evernote, Joplin doesn't give you the ability to add a note from the notification bar. 

47 minutes ago, agsteele said:

There's one drawback I've noticed with Joplin. All the data is stored on your local device, be it a PC or phone. 

If you have a large notes database it's going to take up a large amount of storage. 

I was hoping to try Joplin on my Chromebook, but my data file is over 14 GB, which eats into my Chromebook's storage. 

On 10/12/2020 at 2:25 PM, lisec said:

an old app called MindManager

Hey, I know that one! I worked there (2012/2013) before moving to Evernote. ("moving" == "laid off")

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcon said:

Hey, I know that one! I worked there (2012/2013) before moving to Evernote. ("moving" == "laid off")

Now that is cool!  I still have the program and last year I ran it in combability mode and it worked!  Man I loved that program. 

7 hours ago, avevers said:

That's just a dreadful, copy-paste, soulless response. And it does them no favours.

If you ever worked customer support, you would know that in times like this you better do not put too much soul into responses.

You would run out of soulfulness before your lunch break. Better grab your little book of rules, try to understand what this customer wants or needs, be happy about those you can help, and send some nicely phrased blocks of text to all the others.

If you read Marcelo Santos support ticket yourself, what would you have answered ?

• Like 1

I've worked customer support (IT support) and I made a point of never copy pasting responses. But you're right - soul can sometimes be misinterpreted for sarcasm and that would help no-one.

And in fairness they're probably rather busy with such complaints right now. I too would have struggled to offer much help, given this disastrous launch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

There's one drawback I've noticed with Joplin. All the data is stored on your local device, be it a PC or phone. 

If you have a large notes database it's going to take up a large amount of storage. 

I was hoping to try Joplin on my Chromebook, but my data file is over 14 GB, which eats into my Chromebook's storage. 

@Coffee First Thing - Nimbus has selective synchronisation - note titles only or full content. This may help with your Chromebook but I've no idea how well Nimbus works with Chrome. (Although I suspect it will work very well!) I'm just starting looking into EN alternatives.

• Like 2

I want to add to the list the one feature I often used that I cant find or I didn't find in the New Evernote update 10.

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

I don't know why the dev push the seem very not complete update to the user . 

18 minutes ago, naturale said:

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

All you have to do is click the add filter next to the notebook name. You can then search as normal but just within the notebook you are in.

image.png.8e571e05ccd18b5916709e69285664f4.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mike P said:

All you have to do is click the add filter next to the notebook name. You can then search as normal but just within the notebook you are in.

image.png.8e571e05ccd18b5916709e69285664f4.png

Thanks for the explanation. I have tried that but I found out that when I use filter the view that in the notebook I set to 'list' view , became 'Snippet' view for the result view and I cant change that search result to 'list' view  

That's odd. I can't replicate that. When I started with list view I ended up with list view. There are some issues about whether EN is remembering the preferred view so I don't know whether that is the problem.

image.png.d565ebc7d44a5ba07ec0e3bc6e26f7f1.png

• Like 1

Joplin

Does it update online, like Evernote, so that I can have a note on several devices, that is constantly updated to the latest version?

Thanks

On 11/10/2020 at 0:48, Kolmir dijo:

.Do you really think you can replace Evernote with OneNote?  It has nothing to do with it.

The customer support staff (Jeffrey) are people too, and I don’t think we should be demonizing them for doing their job. The same is true for the developers. This is their livelihood, and I’m sure they are doing their best to develop a quality product, so threatening legal action or trying to organize a mass cancelation of subscriptions (their income) is quite unfair. 

I think we ought to voice our opinions (I have in many places in this forum), even (especially?) if they are at odds with Evernote’s, but we should try our best to do it in a mutually respectful manner. This is an app we all care about, right? We want to see it succeed and be better.

I agree that there are problems eith the current release (enumerated elsewhere), but I think arguing the merits of our position is a better strategy than threats to leave or using the *Evernote* forums to promote alternatives.

Let’s try and keep it positive, and give Evernote something they can work with :)

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

The customer support staff (Jeffrey) are people too, and I don’t think we should be demonizing them for doing their job. The same is true for the developers. This is their livelihood, and I’m sure they are doing their best to develop a quality product, so threatening legal action or trying to organize a mass cancelation of subscriptions (their income) is quite unfair. 

I think we ought to voice our opinions (I have in many places in this forum), even (especially?) if they are at odds with Evernote’s, but we should try our best to do it in a mutually respectful manner. This is an app we all care about, right? We want to see it succeed and be better.

I agree that there are problems eith the current release (enumerated elsewhere), but I think arguing the merits of our position is a better strategy than threats to leave or using the *Evernote* forums to promote alternatives.

Let’s try and keep it positive, and give Evernote something they can work with :)

Totally agree 100%. Far too much aggressive language flying around. Some folks need to keep it civil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, t8769 said:

There is nothing aggressive or wrong about talking about leaving or discussing alternatives. 
I have not seen any demonization, or any uncivil language, certainly not on this page. 

If someone has used has behaved badly, they are certainly the exception. I have not seen this.

There is nothing wrong with honest discussion, and it should be encouraged, not called 'negative'.

Of course not. Most people are very helpful and genuine. I agree.

But I have seen phrases like "Cowardly developers", "Idiot CEO", "2nd grade developers" and quite a few starred out words plus other insults.

Nothing wrong about talking about leaving... nothing wrong with being disappointed about a feature missing but some of the rhetoric I've seen should really be left on Reddit 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, t8769 said:

Talking about leaving is fine. I think talking about alternatives is fine as well, to a point. I've mentioned both things in other threads--indeed, tonight I am having to work with competitor because we just lost local notebooks. That's quite a blow. The confidential stuff has to go somewhere, and apparently "remembering everything important" at Evernote doesn't account for stuff I am ethically and sometimes legally obligated to keep encrypted and/or out of the cloud (other folks' servers). Encrypted notebooks, please...

I was responding specifically to calling out one of the Evernote staff for a "soulless" response, getting into the weeds about how to use other alternative apps (not so much in this thread, but in others), and the attempts to bring legal action or instigate a mass migration away from Evernote. I don't think the *Evernote* forums are a place for doing these things.

I don't remember calling anything negative, per se. Rather, I am trying to focus the thread on the original topic and to encourage everyone to maintain a certain level of respect for one another and the developers. As you said, most folks are doing fine. We all slip once in a while, but as much as possible, I'd like to keep the thread helpful (for us and the developers) and on topic.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Mike P said:

That's odd. I can't replicate that. When I started with list view I ended up with list view. There are some issues about whether EN is remembering the preferred view so I don't know whether that is the problem.

image.png.d565ebc7d44a5ba07ec0e3bc6e26f7f1.png

I found out that I experiencing this because I set my All notes view in 'snippet' and when I search 'in the notebook(with filter)' the view using the all note view not the per notebook view.

I myself want to respect and I respect the hard work the devs do in attempt to improve the app. It really good to always try to improve the app better. But the decision to suddenly update the app with the incomplete workspace without the user can choose to is a bad decision I think. Imagine someone have a tight schedule and something need to be done soon then suddenly they forced to learn the new workspace and solve the new problem to pursue the target. I think people using this app is in hope to be helped in their live and work so they can work efficiently not the other way around. I myself get stuck when I first open the evernote showing up with the new version and have been slowed down in my work and still figuring out how to work with the new 'incomplete' version and get my pace right again. 

I think most people will need to stick with the older version till the work for the new version is really done .     

I just find out another thing I notice. I dont't know it is just me or the font in the new version is not as clear and crisp as before. I have tried to make the font bigger but I can see the font in my firefox when I type this and almost another app is more clear and crisp even the font is smaller 

Thank you for the help and the dev for attention 

3 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

I was responding specifically to calling out one of the Evernote staff for a "soulless" response, getting into the weeds about how to use other alternative apps (not so much in this thread, but in others), and the attempts to bring legal action or instigate a mass migration away from Evernote. I don't think the *Evernote* forums are a place for doing these things.

Agreed

9 hours ago, Jose J said:

.Do you really think you can replace Evernote with OneNote?  It has nothing to do with it.

It depends which version you have in mind

V 6.25 is very hard to replace one-to-one. However, it can be replaced to some extend with a set of a few tools/apps. Diversification of a tool-set gives also more independence from one vendor.

If you mean v10.x - it's veeery easy to replace 😉

5 hours ago, MarkW725 said:

Why didn't Evernote finish building this new version before releasing it?

I have managed to go back to an older version to get the full functionality back. I will also look at alternatives.

You can listen to the recent interview with EvN's CEO. He officially confessed, that they don't plan anything. This mean they produce software in a pretty chaotic and amateur way... which results in obvious side-effects we experience today with v10. This is unfortunate.

It looks like they ignore achievements of generations of software developers i.e. methods like for example Agile, Scrum, LSD or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_development_life_cycle

Painter gets stuck in the middle of a room

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Talking about leaving is fine. I think talking about alternatives is fine as well, to a point. I've mentioned both things in other threads--indeed, tonight I am having to work with competitor because we just lost local notebooks. That's quite a blow. The confidential stuff has to go somewhere, and apparently "remembering everything important" at Evernote doesn't account for stuff I am ethically and sometimes legally obligated to keep encrypted and/or out of the cloud (other folks' servers). Encrypted notebooks, please...

I don't remember calling anything negative, per se. Rather, I am trying to focus the thread on the original topic and to encourage everyone to maintain a certain level of respect for one another and the developers. As you said, most folks are doing fine. We all slip once in a while, but as much as possible, I'd like to keep the thread helpful (for us and the developers) and on topic.

The word "soulless" came from me, and I apologize if anyone was offended or felt it was too aggressive language. I suppose passion for the product spilt out in the wrong manner. I just felt that it was a little too "copy paste" for my liking, but I acknowledge I could've worded my reaction more appropriately.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 2:54 AM, GrumpyMonkey said:

This is extremely condescending. Nobody is having a political negotiation strategy session here. Evernote's (and its developers') livelihood is developing and maintaining a product with certain uses and functions, and they've chosen to downgrade their product with a half-baked unfinished update, after ignoring all the beta testers "arguing the merits of their position". If they reduce functionality, the people who used those functions *should* cancel their subscriptions. Purchasing a service is not charity, it's commerce. Calling it unfair for people to not want their money going to a company that no longer does what they pay for is absurd.

Why in the world would anyone who doesn't work there care about the app? People care about what they use it for, what they are able to do with it. I don't care about the app itself anymore than I care about a browser or word processor; I use the one that best meets my needs. If Evernote no longer does, people will leave. Doing something in a mutually respectful manner requires respect from both sides, and I'm not seeing that from Evernote.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, lisec said:

The old OneNote used to save the file locally, and I think perhaps the stand-alone app does as well, but I remember getting an email about 2-3 years ago where they said OneNote was now online only. I know there was some distinction between stand-alone and the new OneNote.

@lisec and others, I checked it out:

The desktop version (previous OneNote 2016) - which I use with Microsoft 365 subscription - ALLOWS local notebooks BUT this version will be discontinued in 2025.

In the future it will be replaced by OneNote for Windows 10 (the stand-alone UWP app you mentioned), already available. This app is CLOUD ONLY (notebooks are stored in OneDrive).

So, if local notebooks are crucial, ON is definetely not a long-term solution.

See the story here (by the way, the ON community also criticized Microsoft a lot for killing the ON desktop, but to no avail):

https://office-watch.com/2018/microsoft-kills-onenote-windows/

Hope it helps those looking around

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mi_cha said:

@lisec and others, I checked it out:

The desktop version (previous OneNote 2016) - which I use with Microsoft 365 subscription - ALLOWS local notebooks BUT this version will be discontinued in 2025.

In the future it will be replaced by OneNote for Windows 10 (the stand-alone UWP app you mentioned), already available. This app is CLOUD ONLY (notebooks are stored in OneDrive).

So, if local notebooks are crucial, ON is definetely not a long-term solution.

See the story here (by the way, the ON community also criticized Microsoft a lot for killing the ON desktop, but to no avail):

Hope it helps those looking around

Thanks for checking that. The timing is good. I was just in OneNote, not having used it since version 2016, and immediately had to google something *very important*.  There is no way to export OneNote notebooks anymore (in the Windows 10 cloud only version).  All one can do is print to pdf.  Geez. This is getting crazy.  I love the cloud as much as the next gal, but don't these companies and programmers realize that way more than half the world doesn't have a good internet connection if they have it at all? Seriously. I live 15 minutes outside a large city that has fiber, and our internet is DSL with 4-5 MB down when we are lucky, and has not been upgraded in 20 years!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lisec said:

Thanks for checking that. The timing is good. I was just in OneNote, not having used it since version 2016, and immediately had to google something *very important*.  There is no way to export OneNote notebooks anymore (in the Windows 10 cloud only version).  All one can do is print to pdf.  Geez. This is getting crazy.  I love the cloud as much as the next gal, but don't these companies and programmers realize that way more than half the world doesn't have a good internet connection if they have it at all? Seriously. I live 15 minutes outside a large city that has fiber, and our internet is DSL with 4-5 MB down when we are lucky, and has not been upgraded in 20 years!  

@lisec I am running the desktop app (OneNote 2016) and my export options are:

Page - .one | .docx | .doc | .pdf | .xps | .mht

Section - same formats as "page" above

Notebook - .onepkg | .pdf | .xps | .mht

You can still download OneNote 2016 and install it, but I am not sure if it opens a OneNote Windows 10 cloud database.

In the version before 10.1 if you right clicked a note there was an option to convert the note into a PDF attachment and a new note was created. It was not the most elegant design and an "export to PDF" would have been nice, but I used it regularly. Where is that funcion in version 10.1? 

I have just researched the issue of ON's end of production date and it may look like MS is changing its mind or at least considering different approach.

https://office-watch.com/2019/good-news-for-onenote-with-windows-as-microsoft-does-a-180/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953691/microsoft-onenote-to-do-integration-fluid-framework-future-features-ignite-2019

https://office-watch.com/2019/new-features-promised-for-onenote/

18 hours ago, mi_cha said:

35 minutes ago, Kolmir said:

Good news! I guess the negative feedback changed their mind. They plan premium features for Microsoft 365 subscribers in 2021.

Here is the FAQ about OneNote
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/frequently-asked-questions-about-onenote-in-office-2019-and-microsoft-365-6582c7ae-2ec6-408d-8b7a-3ed71a3c2103

Note: Our product names for OneNote on Windows have recently changed. Throughout this article, “OneNote” now refers to the desktop version (previously called ”OneNote 2016”), and “OneNote for Windows 10” refers to the Microsoft Store app that’s available only on Windows 10.

Can I continue using OneNote?

Yes, you can continue using OneNote as we are aligning this product with our Office 2019 support dates. The OneNote desktop app is installed by default alongside Word, PowerPoint, and Excel for Microsoft 365 subscriptions that include the client apps and Office 2019. 

When will we see additional premium value in OneNote for Microsoft 365 subscriptions?

We are working hard to include features like advanced sharing and editing in OneNote for Microsoft 365 subscriptions in 2021.

How long will you continue to support OneNote?

OneNote support dates will align with Office 2019 support dates (October 10, 2023 for mainstream support and October 14, 2025 for extended support).

What additional benefits do I get if I use OneNote with an Microsoft 365 subscription or as part of Office 2019?

Your Microsoft 365 subscription unlocks: Local notebook support

2025 seems to be the end date of extended support only, it does not mean it will discontinued (as implied before). The desktop version is bundled with Microsoft 365 subscriptions, while the Windows 10 app remains a free download.

Whatever the life cycle of ON may be, one thing is certain: LOCAL notebooks work with the desktop version only. The windows app 10 saves all notebooks to the cloud.

My ON is attached to a Microsoft 365 subscription, and it works fine. The mobile apps (Android smartphone/tablet) are really great. No problems with syncing.

But, as I said somewhere else: I can't imagine managing +20k large notes in OneNote, as I do in EN6. I work in ON with shared business notebooks (once my part is over, the owner ceases sharing them with me, so the amount of information is temporary and easily manageable) but my "entire life" is in EN6. You just can't compare EN6 organization/search tools with ON, EN6 is much, much, much better.

• Like 1

All this proprietary format stuff is really making me reconsider markdown as a suitable storage format now. And this idea won't work for a lot. I'm more about text, images, attachments and OCR. Less about the styling.

I'm beginning to wonder about a note editor which only really deals with MD format. And also piggybacks on existing mature cloud storage as the backend, single source of truth, from which syncs are performed.

Some note platforms will take an attachment you drop in, upload it to the cloud (Dropbox , Drive etc.) and replace the attachment portion of your note with an embedded link. It's still markdown at the end of the day.

I get it that enex is a form of HTML (I think it is - I'm away from my PC) but if I migrate out of EN, it's going to be painful for sure. Moving over to a massive block of markdown files (as opposed to one massive exb), managed by a front end client and a cloud (and offline) store, is appealing more and more.

Alternative note takers (many based around MD) have sprung up over the past few years. I've felt (and accepted) locked into EN despite their comparative lack of progression (unless I'm mistaken, their biggest achievement was their migration to Google Cloud as the back end). But for many of us, v10 is unworkable. If EN do plan to reintroduce missing features, they've a dreadful way of communicating that. That fact, and other past mistakes combine to make me really question my 12 year loyalty now.

• Like 2

Hi. Evernote keeps a copy of your notes on your computer’s hard drive, so while it is true that ultimately the server version is the ”official” one, it is not the only one. Dropbox, iCloud, etc. work a similar way. If there is a problem, Evernote also records note histories (I assume this remains in v10), so you can revert to earlier versions of a note. 

Exporting as .html is one option, .enex is another. At least, those options used to exist, and will probably be added again. Competitors make some pretty slick import options (for the legacy app), so I’ve found it almost effortless to move everything out of Evernote.

Markdown is wonderful, but something quite different than what Evernote is doing. The comparioson only works well if you primarily use text. The more you use other formats, the more useful Evernote is. If you are only using text, Evernote probably seems like it has a lot of unnecessary features!

Oh no I use so many features of EN, and am big on fonts. It just seems a lot of competitors focus on MD, so I may need to rethink my reliance on heavy styling.

The HTML export would likely take some scripting (especially to preserve the myriad of tags I use), which I'm not even sure exists for Windows (it's Applescript for Macs isn't it?). 

I'm being premature anyway; I'm sticking around to see what happens. I'd be gutted to leave.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, t8769 said:

Cannot remove spellcheck

Yes, this is CRUCIAL.

I found the EN team post that explains that EN doesn't have an internal spellchecker, it's the OS. Ok but I've *never* used the OS spellchecker. Does it mean I'd have to teach Microsoft Word all my fancy words? Or teach it to chrome? Is the new Evernote an Electron app based on chromium?

Hell, I won't do that anyway.

So now all my notes are stained EVERYWHERE with RED underline, like a schoolteacher came during the night and made 1 billion corrections, ERRONEOUS corrections to my notes. WARNING WARNING PROBLEM PROBLEM oh that WORD has a PROBLEM too.