The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, Mike Figueroa said:

I can't imagine what an utter nightmare the old codebase had become, thanks to years of piling on unnecessary features without a care in the world for what users actually wanted.

Not sure piling on unnecessary features without a care in the world for what users actually wanted was the root of all evil in this case.  Individual incantations of EN across platforms would be my vote.  And willy nilly development and testing have not helped across the years.

Merging the products makes all the sense in the world.  Though creating a full on sh!#storm in the process would have been a nice thing to avoid.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
On 12/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, IanHinton said:

It's called Joplin. The good thing is that your data can be hosted on different cloud services.

It steel not so good as Legacy Evernote, so I'll use Legacy until it's gone and than switch to Joplin.
v10 is totally unusable.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 11:59 PM, ehrt74 said:

I think there's a very clear roadmap going forwards---carry on adding the features found in the legacy desktop apps to the v10 client. The legacy app will still work fine in 20 years from now---Evernote isn't going to change their API just to spite all of the paying customers and companies who use the legacy app.

By the way, why do you call using the legacy client "a step back"? If it has functionality that the v10 client doesn't have, then it's not a step back, is it?

I wonder if the 12-year old WPF-based version of Evernote would still run fine today.  :)

If I'm running v10 but have to go back to a previous version, I say that's a step back. Releasing a new version lacking an immense number of features from its predecessor is a terrible move from the user's perspective. 

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 9:01 AM, Mike P said:

Can you give a bit more detail. How did you do this before and how are you doing it now? I agree that being able to create and nest tags in the sidebar was really useful. Now you have to do it in the main tags window (alt-ctrl-4 or click "Tags" in the sidebar). I personally don't see that as a huge issue, but I don't know your workflow.

I'll jump in since the changes in Tags have disrupted my flow as well. As part of my monthly review process, I go through my tags and notebook structures in Evernote, to make sure they still make sense, combining tags, removing some, nesting others. The legacy version allows me to see tags in a panel that took up the entire screen, which made it easier to see a lot of tags at once and arrange them to my needs. V10's approach, seeing tags in a single column, makes that process much harder.

• Like 4
On 1/22/2021 at 11:59 PM, ehrt74 said:

I think there's a very clear roadmap going forwards---carry on adding the features found in the legacy desktop apps to the v10 client. The legacy app will still work fine in 20 years from now---Evernote isn't going to change their API just to spite all of the paying customers and companies who use the legacy app.

By the way, why do you call using the legacy client "a step back"? If it has functionality that the v10 client doesn't have, then it's not a step back, is it?

also, a "clear roadmap" would spell out what cities we are visiting on this trip and when we're likely to get to each of them. Currently, it seems like we used to live in an oasis, but was blindfolded, taken away from it, stripped of our most valuable possessions, and left in the middle of an unknown village.  :)

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 9:57 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  First  comment - you may want to change the tag line for this section:  "If you have feedback related to the older version of Evernote for Windows, post here!" (my emphasis) - I think you mean the new one?

Some questions arise before I update my current version 6.25...

1. Is there a "step back" option? - i.e. once updated would I be able to revert to my 6.25 version if the new app is not performing well?
  2. Local (unsynced) notes are no longer supported - do you still store local copies of the notes synced with the server database?  I ask because I use Backupery's app to export my notes to ENEX on a daily basis and I'd like to continue to do so after updating.
  3. For anyone wary of updating to the new version - how long do you forsee support for legacy versions continuing?  Will there still be bug fixes and updates for those versions?
  4. Presentation Mode is something which is very useful for academic users - is there any prospect of this coming back / some sort of integration with a presentation app?
  5. Another service I use is Postach.io - will that app continue to be able to convert my notes to a blog?

I can work around the Outlook Clipper no longer being supported (there's still email!) but the list of unsupported features in the help page says (again my emphasis)

Can we expect an exhaustive list of 'no longer supported' features anytime soon?

I also use Postach.io to keep two of my blogs. I've just published a post a few days ago through V10 and it seems to work fine. 

+1 on all of your other points. Not only do we need a list of "no longer supported" features, but also "will they ever be supported again?".  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, lassala said:

also "will they ever be supported again?"

Very much agreed.  I've been trying to work out whether I can operate without local (unsynced) notebooks,  and the votes are pretty much going to 'No!' at the moment.  There are some medical and financial things that I would like to be searchable,  but don't want online... ☹️

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, lassala said:

I wonder if the 12-year old WPF-based version of Evernote would still run fine today.  :)

If I'm running v10 but have to go back to a previous version, I say that's a step back. Releasing a new version lacking an immense number of features from its predecessor is a terrible move from the user's perspective. 

Why do you say "a step back"? Apart from the fact that the number 6 is smaller than the number 10, in what way is it a step back?

New versions of software often do not have feature parity with existing versions when they are released.

14 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Very much agreed.  I've been trying to work out whether I can operate without local (unsynced) notebooks,  and the votes are pretty much going to 'No!' at the moment.  There are some medical and financial things that I would like to be searchable,  but don't want online... ☹️

It would greatly surprise me if local notebooks aren't added back. Think of all the companies that use evernote and don't want that information stored in the google cloud.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

It would greatly surprise me if local notebooks aren't added back. Think of all the companies that use evernote and don't want that information stored in the google cloud.

I hope that you are right but this is one feature that Evernote has said (so far) is not returning.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lassala said:

I'll jump in since the changes in Tags have disrupted my flow as well. As part of my monthly review process, I go through my tags and notebook structures in Evernote, to make sure they still make sense, combining tags, removing some, nesting others. The legacy version allows me to see tags in a panel that took up the entire screen, which made it easier to see a lot of tags at once and arrange them to my needs. V10's approach, seeing tags in a single column, makes that process much harder.

I removed clutter tag as well, by periodically organizing my tags into tree structure. Evernote Legacy enables mass move of nested tag using SHIFT-click, CTRL-click and drag&drop.

Mass editing nested tags in Evernote v10 close to non-existing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lassala said:

Great feedback. If the tags panel opened to the whole screen it would make it more consistent with the notebook panel. However it would need multiple columns as well like the legacy.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Piotas said:

I removed clutter tag as well, by periodically organizing my tags into tree structure. Evernote Legacy enables mass move of nested tag using SHIFT-click, CTRL-click and drag&drop.

Yup, that's what I do, too (nesting). Yuck, I'll break down and install the legacy version on my Mac. The time I'm spending fighting v10 is simply not feasible.  😕

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Piotas said:

Evernote Legacy enables mass move of nested tag using SHIFT-click, CTRL-click and drag&drop.

Agreed. Not something I do so I hadn't noticed the absence of the ability to work on multiple tags at once.

• Like 1

For almost 10 years I have been an EN user and for the most part have always been pleased with features as they were added. Now, with 10.6, I'm thinking of searching the alternatives. And, frankly, that's not something I've even been remotely interested in spending time on because I have been so happy with EN.

Now the Offline Notebook was deleted, I only just now discovered all my notes sitting in my Upload Folder because that feature is no longer available either. It is now cumbersome and requires extra clicks to move notes between folders and the icing on the cake is that the app is SLOW!! Slow to load, slow to sort, slow to move files, just freaking SLOW. I see that others are missing useful features they had also come to depend on as well. I just can't imagine what the developers were thinking on this one. It is just the sort of move that breaks the trust between long-time, loyal customers and the company.

Of all the productivity tools I have used over the decades, this is the biggest step BACKWARDS I have ever seen a company make. I see some mention in this thread about EN "reintroducing" some features in the future. That would be nice, but in the meantime I guess I'll do what I did 10 years ago and look for an app I can depend on. What a very, very big disappointment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
4 minutes ago, gophigure said:

It is now cumbersome and requires extra clicks to move notes between folders and the icing on the cake is that the app is SLOW!! Slow to load, slow to sort, slow to move files, just freaking SLOW

Yes, its slowness is appalling. I'm doing the most basic operations and seeing the spinning wheel going for 15, 20 seconds at times. That is painful as I'm going through multiple notes and trying to get things done. Evernote has become unrecognizable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
On 10/10/2020 at 6:11 PM, gozzilla78 said:

For those who want to revert to the "true" last functioning (NOT legacy, which implies co-existence with ver.10) version of Evernote, that is, ver. 6.25.1.9091, I have put the install file in an Evernote note:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AFeElWGgsLVBM4jiXWFaGVaCKDaeXD9xcDo/

or you can download it directly from FileHippo

Many thanks for posting the link. That will allow me to keep using EN while they figure out what the heck they are doing!

• Like 3
On 10/10/2020 at 9:11 PM, gozzilla78 said:

For those who want to revert to the "true" last functioning (NOT legacy, which implies co-existence with ver.10) version of Evernote, that is, ver. 6.25.1.9091, I have put the install file in an Evernote note:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AFeElWGgsLVBM4jiXWFaGVaCKDaeXD9xcDo/

or you can download it directly from FileHippo

What are the implications of co-existence with v10 and the advantages of going back to v6.25?

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, jabaron said:

What are the implications of co-existence with v10 and the advantages of going back to v6.25?

If you are happy with V10 not many I suppose.  But if you want speed and your use case requires some of the features removed from the previous versions all the advantages in the world, while it lasts. 

Early on EN said that if V10 didn't have all the features you needed use the previous version until what you needed is added back.  Though no guarantee all the features removed are returning.

3 hours ago, gophigure said:

For almost 10 years I have been an EN user and for the most part have always been pleased with features as they were added. Now, with 10.6, I'm thinking of searching the alternatives. And, frankly, that's not something I've even been remotely interested in spending time on because I have been so happy with EN.

Now the Offline Notebook was deleted, I only just now discovered all my notes sitting in my Upload Folder because that feature is no longer available either. It is now cumbersome and requires extra clicks to move notes between folders and the icing on the cake is that the app is SLOW!! Slow to load, slow to sort, slow to move files, just freaking SLOW. I see that others are missing useful features they had also come to depend on as well. I just can't imagine what the developers were thinking on this one. It is just the sort of move that breaks the trust between long-time, loyal customers and the company.

Of all the productivity tools I have used over the decades, this is the biggest step BACKWARDS I have ever seen a company make. I see some mention in this thread about EN "reintroducing" some features in the future. That would be nice, but in the meantime I guess I'll do what I did 10 years ago and look for an app I can depend on. What a very, very big disappointment.

For me, Evernote has always been my most important app. It's where my ideas go. My important notes. Book outlines. Photos of restaurants I want to remember. Information I need to give my accountant. My kids' medical records. 

I depended on Evernote. Now I can't. 

I hope Evernote returns to its former self. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Sorry if I've missed this but has anyone, whether user or developer, posted a side-by-side comparison of features? I updated to 10 as soon as it was offered and it immediately felt like those awful moments when a GTD app that I had tightly integrated into my lifeflow dies and I audition new ones, none of them with the same architecture or features.

I'm back to 7 now, happy as a lark, and turning a blind eye to the future.

I don't consider myself a power user  - I use tags extensively, links within and without Evernote, audio clips ( i'm a composer, among other things. And, of course, the GUI (pre-10) is delicious, giving me freedoms that other apps never quite matched.

pete

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

I'm back to 7 now, happy as a lark, and turning a blind eye to the future.

Not turning a blind eye,  but I am using the last public Windows version (6.25.1) and plan on continuing to do so until I'm advised that the infrastructure for pre-10 will no longer be available.  If by that stage v10 is usable I'll gladly upgrade.  Until then my current system works for me and I have no incentive to rush out and weather another learning curve.

• Like 6

I use Evernote A LOT! Even though I am retired and no longer working in the field of engineering, I use Evernote in my day to day life. I love Evernote so much that I'd be a rich person if I got a dollar for each time I recommended and have even installed Evernote on a friend or family members computer.

However, this 10.5.7 build has taken away some of my workhorses.

Where did the horizontal line go? The check boxes? Syncing? Tag Filter? Searching? Sharing notes? Local Folders?

And why can't I use the same fonts I was using before? The font folder in is my windows program. But now, I have only 6 fonts to choose from? I didn't use a lot of decorative fonts, I leave those for special things, but the one font I used the Hell out of was Tahoma. OK, I can get around the fonts since it seems that all of the over 5000 notes I have has had their fonts automatically changed, but seriously, some of us prefer the freedom of expression on our own notes.

Over the last 2 days, I've spent 12 to 14 hours on Evernote and I can't count how many times I have tried to put a horizontal line into my note only to realize the option is not there anymore.

Someone is going to say that I'd get the same line by holding down the underline key.  

I just want to say to them,  THE HORIZONTAL LINE IS NOT THE SAME KIND OF LINE I'D GET FROM JUST HOLDING DOWN THE UNDERLINE KEY.

Nor would the Checkbox be the same if I were to use the little box that is in the Wing Dings font, that is if I could access the Wing Ding font in my fonts folder.

Is it too much to ask to have a few of our old workhorses be put back in the latest version of Evernote? It's not like I'm a beginner in this. I've paid for the Premium service since I got a decent enough phone that I could access the Evernote app on without the phone freezing (talking to you Blackberry Key2) and that has been for the last 5 or 6 years. I've been with Evernote in some form or another since 2009.

Can we expect a future update that will replace some of our beloved features?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Saphyre said:

EN says they will be adding back features but they are not specific as to which or when.  In the meantime you can stick with the older version pending EN getting things sorted.  That's my approach at this point.  Too painful to use V10 for me.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Saphyre said:

I use Evernote A LOT! Even though I am retired and no longer working in the field of engineering, I use Evernote in my day to day life. I love Evernote so much that I'd be a rich person if I got a dollar for each time I recommended and have even installed Evernote on a friend or family members computer.

However, this 10.5.7 build has taken away some of my workhorses.

Where did the horizontal line go? The check boxes? Syncing? Tag Filter? Searching? Sharing notes? Local Folders?

And why can't I use the same fonts I was using before? The font folder in is my windows program. But now, I have only 6 fonts to choose from? I didn't use a lot of decorative fonts, I leave those for special things, but the one font I used the Hell out of was Tahoma. OK, I can get around the fonts since it seems that all of the over 5000 notes I have has had their fonts automatically changed, but seriously, some of us prefer the freedom of expression on our own notes.

Over the last 2 days, I've spent 12 to 14 hours on Evernote and I can't count how many times I have tried to put a horizontal line into my note only to realize the option is not there anymore.

Someone is going to say that I'd get the same line by holding down the underline key.  

I just want to say to them,  THE HORIZONTAL LINE IS NOT THE SAME KIND OF LINE I'D GET FROM JUST HOLDING DOWN THE UNDERLINE KEY.

Nor would the Checkbox be the same if I were to use the little box that is in the Wing Dings font, that is if I could access the Wing Ding font in my fonts folder.

Is it too much to ask to have a few of our old workhorses be put back in the latest version of Evernote? It's not like I'm a beginner in this. I've paid for the Premium service since I got a decent enough phone that I could access the Evernote app on without the phone freezing (talking to you Blackberry Key2) and that has been for the last 5 or 6 years. I've been with Evernote in some form or another since 2009.

To get the horizontal line,  type the blue “+” insert button and choose “Divider”.   That said, I share many of your frustrations.    

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, bigtelco said:

To get the horizontal line,  type the blue “+” insert button and choose “Divider”.   That said, I share many of your frustrations.    

Thank you so much for the tip. I had no idea what the blue + was for and just thought it was another way of adding a note.

I just tried your tip and it worked a treat. Now to go back through the notes I've made this weekend and add a few lines.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

@Saphyre  for horizontal lines / dividers or checkboxes you can as well use markdown-like inline codes. if you enter „-“ 3times followed by a space you get a divider line, „[]“ followed by a space will insert a checkbox (at least inside a paragraph)

• Like 1
For horizontal lines, there are 3 options that I know and which were voiced by Evernote.
These are three signs ---
These are three signs ***
These are three characters ===
Another option Ctrl + Shift + -
Try it. It works for me.
9 hours ago, Saphyre said:

The first two have been covered above

syncing now happens automatically. Getting better but still some delays sometimes

Tag filter. You can filter by tags using the filter icon at the top of the note list. You can also add tag filters in the search box. Start typig the name of the tag and then click the tag when it appears to add as a filter. If you do it this way you do have to do add the filters before any text searches.

searching. Use the search box at the top left. You can srill use the search syntax if you want to. It takes a bit of playing with to get the idea but combined with the filter I have been able to do everything I needed to (although the process is probably slower)

Sharing notes. Either right click a note in the note list or use the green share button at the top right of the note

Local folders. No longer supported.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:10 PM, t8769 said:

New version is terrible

In Notes 
Cannot remove note list
Cannot remove Left column
Cannot remove spellcheck
Cannot remove formatting bar
Cannot customise toolbar at top of note

The new version should be called 'Cannot 10.0'

Evernot 10.0 🙂

Received email that many 10.7.6 issues were fixed. I downloaded new version again but still unusable for me.

Cannot sort on Tags in list view. Why limit sort feature on date and title only???

Back to version 6.25.1... I go.

• Like 3

Here is my list:

1) Does not work offline

2) Favorites toolbar is missing

3) Search is broken ever worse than in older versions. Last time when it was working OK was v5.x

4) No way to select part of the encrypted text. Only entire text is selected.

5) Unusable slow on older PCs

6) Self-update does work when running non-admin user. Installations does work for non-admin user.

Edited by aka179
more bugs added
20 hours ago, aka179 said:

5) Unusable slow on older PCs

I think it is slow on newer PCs too (of course "slowness" is relative to the user)

20 hours ago, aka179 said:

6) Self-update does work when running non-admin user. Installations does work for non-admin user.

This is interesting, because at work I don't have any admin rights and I cannot install any software on my local laptop or on the remote desktop we use without asking IT to remote into my comp and putting the password in. However, I can install V10 on both settings without needing any admin password, it does not even prompt one.

I thought it was just me but search is not working properly but the worst thing is that often the notes are empty and I have to quit and start again. I really think we should get a few months free to help compensate. 

And, I'm almost sure that Evernote is a desktop app that drains my battery the most. 

Feb 2021 suddenly the hand writing note feature was replaced with a sketchpad.  The new system does not let us record audio at the same time.  It does not let you add new pages.  It put the pen functions at the bottom of the screen where your hand rests when writing with a Samsung Note phone and stylus.  So notes are messed up or deleted as your write.

The also removed the note display features on the widget.  

How does Evernote get away with removing features? When we paid to upgrade the premium accounts we were promised even better features.  Since we paid, things have gotten worse and worse and even what was good was removed.  Evernote took our money and then took away even what we paid for instead of providing us with better.

Can Evernote EVER be trusted with our money again?

On 12/17/2020 at 8:19 PM, jean jamin said:

It's very annoying when the Evernote CEO and Mr. Designer try to fool you, by basically only sharing their perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggD3PMO0EM Who uses 5 devices with different operating systems? This is presented as the major problem that had to be solved. Most use 1 device the most by far and occasionally watch through another device (no problem there). The fact that the user interface had to become more uniform was a problem for the manufacturer, not the user !! Everyone understands that this is a problem, but predominantly for the manufacturer! That great sacrifices had to be made from the user perspective for this is unforgivable to be honest. Make sure you only release something when it's all right and not a pale shadow of what I am used to as a user. But the worst part is that the gentlemen in their 'discussion' state for everything that is experienced as a problem that it only concerns 'a small percentage of the users' (tags for example) and that only that group finds it annoying that the tags were moved to the bottom. Everything that is a problem is made small and Mr. Designer goes to 'Polishing' as second step when the number of missing or poorly implemented functions is still enormous. After 12 years as a daily premium user and over 12000 notes, I am about to say goodbye to Evernote. I can endure too little too late, because I can still use the old app, but that they try to justify the fact that they are offending the most loyal users with a badly defective product is unacceptable.

I agree with most of what you say except "who uses 5 devices with different operating systems?"  Well, me for a start.  Currently I use 2 x MacOS, 2 x Windows, 2 x iPhone, 1 x iPad.  A mix of work and home devices  A couple of years ago I had no Macs but Android instead of the iPhone.  Then there's occasional use of web to look something up from another device (someone else's PC or a work VDI that's locked down etc). That's the 5, albeit I never had all 5 in use at the same time.  Unfortunately my phone was on auto-updates so that device is now committed to v10+.

As a software architect I fully understand the drive for convergence in terms of codebase, tech stack and UI.  However in the process to throw away basic taken-for-granted features of the core apps is not on.  There's no reason why using Electron per se should necessitate any of that.  It's probably just the opportunity cost of (re)building those in the new codebase vs "shiny new" features.  It might be their strategy is move (nearly) everyone to 10 then implement the features that most people cry about losing, while keeping Legacy around to try to avoid losing those who would jump ship and can't wait.   

It's a little disingenuous if that's the case though.  I'd much prefer them to be totally upfront about this.  An admission that they made a couple of mistakes in deprioritising these features would help a lot.

Personally I'm still playing wait and see, sticking with 6.25 Windows and 7.14 or Legacy on Mac.  Crunch time is September when my premium renewal is up.  I need some pretty good assurances before stumping up another year, though since Notion blew it by not having offline notebook access the hunt is still on.

• Like 3

The whole idea of sacrificing local database for a cloud "modern & trendy" app was a mistake.

I'm using 6.25 and wouldn't update till they deprecate Legacy version... 

RIP good old Evernote...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ustik86 said:

sacrificing local database

I'm still seeing a "local database" (optional)
- available for offline use

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm still seeing a "local database" (optional)
- available for offline use

Loading times in 6.25 are instant. I search, I see it the same moment. In v.10 you need to wait. Sometimes a wait a lot.

• Like 1

I am really disappointed with Version 10.8.5-mac-ddl-public (2367) as it has  has lost key functionality which I frequently use e.g insert and change tables and insert day and date into the note title.

Have now stepped back to the legacy version.

• Like 1

I have never added to a community forum but I am so frustrated with the new version of Evernote! Thank you to those above who showed me how to revert back to the 6.25 version on my desktop. Since the new 10.8.5 version of the desktop Evernote does not sync correctly, when I tag a note and look in the tag list on the left hand side the note is not there. In the 10 version no more notes have appeared in my tag 'folders' since the time in 2020 when I did the update. Now that I am back to the legacy version, everything is there. What a relief! Do I have to cancel my premium subscription since Evernote cannot seem to figure out how important this is to its customers?!

Wow, finally upgraded to v10, this last weekend, only to find so many of my notebooks+notes missing.  After investigating, it's because v10 doesn't allow for Private/Local notebooks, one of the main reasons I use it.  If Microsoft OneNote had this feature (for Mac), I'd eventually make the switch, BUT that's a huge time investment in converting 100's of notes.  Sad to see this feature gone, and hope it gets added to v10.

Until then, legacy EN to the rescue.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Jimson said:

Sad to see this feature gone, and hope it gets added to v10.

Can't know for sure, but I don't think we'll see Local Notebooks added to the Version 10 product.  It's not supported in the new cloud architecture

My hope is for other missing features that are critical for my workflow   
Some specifically promised; others not mentioned (but not rejected)

As you indicated, the Legacy product is working well for me

It is unlikely that the local drive support can return.   The "new" Evernote is for all intents and purposes a "web app".  Even if it were able to access your local drive, the "Evernote" part is in the cloud-- and thus you are no more secure on the local drive as you would be having your data on Evernote's servers.  My main concern is what happens when the next MacOS update comes along-- is Evernote actually going to support it?   Then what, stay on an old OS?

Because of the web/server interaction needed to make v10 work, there are probably also some serious limitations on how fast Evernote v10 can work.  Previously, Evernote was never very good as a "notes" app-- but it was fantastic as a place to store and maintain files in a way that they were fast and easy to find.   The new Mac version is a marginally better note-taking app (use of blocks and standardized formatting) but an unambiguously worse storage experience (no local notebooks, substantially slower operation, losing data).  In addition, the ability to annotate pdfs has been made far worse.  In the companion world of iOS where many notes are taken, the new Evernote is unreliable and in the case of viewing and annotating documents, is now almost completely unusable. 

6 months on, I harbor no illusion that the current management is going to awaken to what a huge mistake they have made.   I continue to use the Legacy app while I search for a better workflow for my work.  My mission, like so many other Premium users, is to have all of my data migrated to a new system and workflow, prior to the reup date of my subscription.   

If they had just implemented Pencilkit in iOS and cleaned up the editor in MacOS-- which they had largely done prior to v10-- Evernote would be far and away the system of choice.  I never had a big complaint about inconsistent experiences on different platforms (this is much more of an issue in MS OneNote!).   Instead, Evernote have thrown away their primary differentiators (speed, reliability, and customizability) in favor of making it easier for them to program exciting new features like a "Home" view, a mess of widgets I cannot imagine enhancing the productivity of anyone who actually understands how to use Evernote.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have been using Evernote mainly to store and organize files so that I can easily retrieve those with appropriate tags or authors. Obviously I see the frustrations you've described. Consequently, I'm seriously in the market for an Evernote alternative. What other apps have you looked at that might be suitable replacements?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jabaron said:

What other apps have you looked at that might be suitable replacements?

What features do you consider  important?   
Also which platforms/devices - I'm an Apple  user with a Mac and iPad.   
Web access is useful

#1 on my list is not being locked in; I must be able to export my data    
#2 is a non-proprietary format; EN uses enml (basically html)

• Like 1

I also use a Mac (mainly). What I absolutely need is:

The ability to tag notes and organize the tags

The ability to sort notes within notebooks by dates of creation and revision, and by author (and ideally for pdf files by date of original authorship)

Web clipping

Searching for words within notes.

Reliable, fast operation.

Legacy EN works pretty well for me -- but V. 10 will not allow for sorting by author, and is slow with an awkward interface for me. I can't imagein using Home.

Thanks for your help...

Hi!

I've been an Evernote user since 2009. Today I installed Evernote 10.8.5, hoping it would be significantly better than the current web version, but found out that this "app" seems to be just a web browser that automatically loads and run Evernote for the Web (i.e., it uses the Electron framework).

Even though I'm almost always in favor of changes (even major ones) in services, I always expect those changes to provide better functionality for the users. With Evernote 10 I can only see a few improvements and major drawbacks, not to mention several bugs, both new (e.g., selecting text in a specific note and right-clicking it freezes the program) and old. So for now I just reverted to the "Legacy" version of Evernote...

I've been unhappy with Evernote for some time and several reasons, but still waited two years for the big, new revamped version promised to the users. Unfortunately, even if the backend systems are improved, I don't think the complete experience was improved for me - on the contrary. And after reading some posts in this thread, my conclusion is that Evernote can't and won't improve in the areas that I (and others) care about the most.

I've been an Evernote advocate for years to family and friends, but now it seems time to let go. I look at the grey Evernote Legacy icon and lament that its color has faded to never come back.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, jabaron said:

The ability to sort notes within notebooks by dates of creation and revision, and by author (and ideally for pdf files by date of original authorship)

Web clipping

Legacy EN works pretty well for me -- but V. 10 will not allow for sorting by author, and is slow with an awkward interface for me. I can't imagein using Home.

Thanks for your help...

On 3/8/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jimson said:

Wow, finally upgraded to v10, this last weekend, only to find so many of my notebooks+notes missing.  After investigating, it's because v10 doesn't allow for Private/Local notebooks, one of the main reasons I use it.  If Microsoft OneNote had this feature (for Mac), I'd eventually make the switch, BUT that's a huge time investment in converting 100's of notes.  Sad to see this feature gone, and hope it gets added to v10.

Until then, legacy EN to the rescue.

21 hours ago, jabaron said:

Web clipping

Thanks for your help...

@jabaronThere isn't a great "all in one" solution to your problem.  That was the beauty of Evernote in its legacy form.  Unfortunately, the new iOS version is unreliable and who knows how long the "legacy" version of the desktop will last. 

I am exclusively a Mac and iOS user.  I tried Devonthink.  Its Mac experience was great, but the iOS experience was far less stellar.   Right now I am using " Keep It."  It stores your materials in their native format in your iCloud Drive, does OCR, has a decent tagging scheme, and a very good iOS app. The program is really an overlay onto iCloud Drive, to the developer doesn't have access to your data.   The program itself is great, but it is occasionally slow-- I think because of the relative lagginess of iCloud Drive.  

I also looked at just putting my documents in the cloud with iCloud, OneDrive,  Dropbox or Google Drive.   Only iCloud supports native tagging-- but iCloud search doesn't do OCR search in iOS-- not even on pdfs-- and its desktop search is really limited only to pdfs.  Google Drive has really powerful search-- certainly equivalent of Evernote.  However, it doesn't have a tagging scheme.  Dropbox is definitely the fastest and has the most reliable linking and sharing, but it doesn't do deep OCR and it doesn't have a tagging scheme. 

None of these solutions has a web clipper.   You are left with three options:

1.  Save the links but not the pages

2. Use OneNote or Notion (neither has a Safari web clipper). Bear also has a Safari web clipper-- but it really just pulls text and is in no way equivalent to Evernotes preexisting capabilities. 

3. Continue to use Evernote

• Like 1

I'll continue to use EN Legacy until such time it might not be supported. Given the noted underlying changes to the latest version it appears a diminished user experience will remain. Another company has a real opportunity to enter the market and improve upon where EN left this with the Legacy version.

• Like 2

I'm sad that the last updated date  or the creation date is missing from the attachments. I used to be able to put multiple iterations of a file in a note and tell which one was last edited or used but the dates are missing. Not is just a list of file names and no other information.

• Level 5*
On 3/9/2021 at 12:51 PM, bigtelco said:

None of these solutions has a web clipper.

Not as slick as EN clipper, but the Awesome Screenshot extension works in a pinch.  There is an added step to save as it copies the clip to a new tab for editing before saving.  But the extension does some things EN clipper doesn't which makes it valuable to me in some instances.  YMMV.

ScreenClip.png.9e5463793c358bf32595bb7177172dfc.png

Hi - I'm currently using Evernote Legacy.  I'm actually a simple user - I want a place to store notes that is reliable and that I can trust.  So, I guess my question is, is the new version of Evernote 10 ever going to get fixed or shall I jump to Bear?  I have actually jumped to Bear on my "work" Evernote and that's been OK but my personal Evernote has many more notes and I'm going to have to do a lot of tagging to make the jump.  So, I might "forgive" Evernote if they could deliver basic functionality in a reliable way.  So, I guess I am asking, is Evernote 10 becoming "less *****" as they release more versions?   

Just now, CVB_Tintern said:

Hi - I'm currently using Evernote Legacy.  I'm actually a simple user - I want a place to store notes that is reliable and that I can trust.  So, I guess my question is, is the new version of Evernote 10 ever going to get fixed or shall I jump to Bear?  I have actually jumped to Bear on my "work" Evernote and that's been OK but my personal Evernote has many more notes and I'm going to have to do a lot of tagging to make the jump.  So, I might "forgive" Evernote if they could deliver basic functionality in a reliable way.  So, I guess I am asking, is Evernote 10 becoming "less *****" as they release more versions?   

They've blocked a word involving excrement 🙂  Hilarious.  I'm sure you know what I mean.  Thanks.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CVB_Tintern said:

They've blocked a word involving excrement 🙂  Hilarious.  I'm sure you know what I mean.  Thanks.

That would be the Net Nanny runny this Forum,  which isn't connected with Evernote but does expect everyone to be businesslike.  As to your actual query,  several releases for new variants in Windows, Mac, Android and iOS over the last few weeks suggest that Evernote is taking the updates fairly seriously and that it should be up to speed fairly shortly.  Meantime why not stay with Legacy (like I am) until Evernote kicks you off?  There will be ample time to move elsewhere if and when you have to.

I'm encouraged a little by your thought that Evernote is taking the updates seriously. However, when I've made inquiries I've received only polite, bland, uninformative replies. It is clear that Evernote is moving in a new direction, and what "up to speed" means may differ among various groups of users and the developers. Based on what I need from Evernote, I see little evidence of progress, and I'm much less optimistic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, jabaron said:

when I've made inquiries I've received only polite, bland, uninformative replies

Try asking Ford when they're releasing a new model and whether it'll be a self-driver - no company is going to make promises it may not be able to keep,  or give away anything new that's in the pipeline.

You're absolutely right that every user is different in what they want from the app - the only way to test it out is to actually use it.  You could either install the new version alongside the Legacy app and just dip in from time to time,  or if you have another email address you could start a new basic account on the new version.

If Evernote isn't what you need,  there are a few alternatives around (about 80,  at last count).  Good luck in your new home...

Are there really 80 alternatives?

I need to be able to sort, tag, and retrieve pdfs and other documents/webpages

The candidates I've So far I've found are:

Bear, I Librarian, AbleDocs, Mendeley, Zotero, PDF Stacks, Devonthink, Notion, Joplin, and Keepit.

Some of these don't look like what I need, so I'd appreciate further suggestions.

Thanks.....

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Try asking Ford when they're releasing a new model and whether it'll be a self-driver - no company is going to make promises it may not be able to keep,  or give away anything new that's in the pipeline.

You're absolutely right that every user is different in what they want from the app - the only way to test it out is to actually use it.  You could either install the new version alongside the Legacy app and just dip in from time to time,  or if you have another email address you could start a new basic account on the new version.

If Evernote isn't what you need,  there are a few alternatives around (about 80,  at last count).  Good luck in your new home...

when I buy a new Ford I would expect it to be able to get me to the same locations my old one did.

And your 80 alternatives don't do that, either.

pete - stay well!

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

when I buy a new Ford I would expect it to be able to get me to the same locations my old one did.

Ford should make a clear distinction between the Legacy cars and the new (Version 10) cars - they are different products

• Haha 2

I'm so sad I didn't see this discussion forum before up(down?)dating Evernote! It's absolutely terrible! I can't do proper numbered lists, I only have access to a limited number of colours, and the list goes on.

Why do companies focus on making things pretty in lieu of making things usable?!?!

I have used Evernote for years, resisting the push to using OneNote (which didn't have all the functions of Evernote) by my company, but now Evernote is so frustrating!!! Ugh. How to do I undo this update and go back to a previous version? HELP!

Endnote Legacy works fine. You can download it from Evernote.

That is likely to be functional for you, though apparently it will not be supported, so there is likely to be trouble after OS updates/changes.

There are seveeral Evernote alternatives out there.

(I'm keeping a list for the inevitable time when I'll have to ditch EN).

V10 App on Android is a very poor release.

Soooo much slower to load and use than the previous version
Can't customise the menu for creating a new app
Scan document is terrible and if there is any bordered content on the page, it uses that as the edge of the page, not the page itself

I've been a paying user of EN on PC, Mac, iOS, and Android since 2010. I've got ~27k notes, which is probably still not a lot compared to some of the long-time power users on this forum. I used to use primarily the PC version but switched to the Mac a number of years ago. The PC version was the workhorse. You could do ANYTHING with it, but, it was clunky, and I found that it took more work to get decent results than the simplified Mac got with ease.

By far, the number one improvement the Mac version had over the PC (imho) was the "sort by relevance" column. I could easily find notes by a simple search, without having to make complicated searches on a PC. It was, dare I say it, like Google for my own notes. Part of the beauty of it was that I have taken the vast majority of my books, cut the bindings off, scanned them to OCR'd PDFs, tagged them by author and topic, and put them in EN. So, when I do a search, I got results from inside all those books

I'm running v10 and v7 side by side. And I've been saying, "man, where did sort by relevance go in v10?!?" Today I discovered...it didn't go anywhere. It's there, but now it SUCKS!!! So, for all of you PC users who are saying "sort by relevance sucks!", I now understand what you're talking about. It absolutely does suck on v10. But, FYI, t is actually a beautiful thing on the v7 Mac version.

This isn't a Mac EN vs PC EN post, btw...but this one thing of the Mac version was actually really good, and somehow they have managed to take a good feature that they "kept" and still break it in the process.

• Level 5

Fonts: Maybe EN will add some more, though I doubt it. The goal to have the same fonts on al clients is probably dominant.

Notebooks: Simply add an icon or special character in front of the notebooks name, and it will modify the order. I use this to „pin“ some notebooks to the top of the list, like „@Inbox“ stays in first place, „Inbox“ would be moved downward. You can use it to make Cyrillic appear on top or behind English, or however you like. I don’t think EN will build a special sorting of notebooks just to make Cyrilics move wherever you want it to move. So help yourself.

Settings: Some things that used to be in options are now somewhere else, like „show/hide number of notes in a notebook“. Still few(er) settings, less stuff to play around (good) or do as you like it (bad)

Speed: Depends on a number of factors, among which is the internet speed, computing power etc. I don’t have a significant impact, but ok, I am running it on a new computer, with a gigabit internet connection. Can be an issue, no question.

Finally: You are only noting negative issues. There are many positive issues as well, and you can’t have cherry picking. It is the whole package that counts. IMHO this balance tips more and more in favor of v10.

For me it is for probably quite a while a combination of legacy and v10, or better more and more v10 (for day to day use) and legacy (when I know it does not work in v10).

42 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Simply add an icon or special character in front of the notebooks name, and it will modify the order

What do you mean by "add an icon"?

I don’t think EN will build a special sorting of notebooks just to make Cyrilics move wherever you want it to move

There was no need to break the old order - which I used since 2012.

Still few(er) settings, less stuff to play around (good) or do as you like it (bad)

This is called "Apple approach" = "we better know what a user needs".

You are only noting negative issues

Do not see positive issues, actually.

I am running it on a new computer, with a gigabit internet connection

I have Gigabit connection and using not the latest but still quite powerful gaming PC.

And I see a BIG difference.

Just now I opened the same note (a huge table) on the new version and then in the legacy - the new version opened it within ~10 sec, the legacy - ~4 sec.

Also, this note look differently in versions:

1. Legacy:

1805102650_.png.933f18592bef0bbaa5b053f661a69e6e.png

2. New:

1130349485_.png.0cf79e87f4e486de8a783d8344384a5c.png

Even font size changed... Crappy.

I really appreciate your reply, but I am not convinced.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Icons: See the picture. The icons have their own order, sorting themselves. You probably have to find out - not every icon will combined with others result in moving to the top, or below. For me it makes finding a notebook easier, because I don’t have to read, it works completely visual. The first stack in the picture is about Work, the second about Finances.

72978376-C246-4C61-B121-E04AE467F0CD.thumb.png.825c3494563367af06c1fe9a31719961.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The old order was maybe from 2012, but it was back then as accidental as it is today. Nothing was broken, you just assumed it was the „natural“ order of things, just because back then an unknown developer at EN decided it had to be such.

Now another unknown developer decided to do it differently - WTF.

• Level 5

Settings: You can do too much, and you can do little. Whatever you do, one group of users or the other will complain. Too complex, can’t customize, whatever.

We now had 10 years with IMHO too many settings (it is a note app, not to fly men to the moon), now we may have another 10 years with too little. On average everything is just fine, it seems.

• Level 5

Positive issues: Who wants to see can see. Who closes the eyes won’t.

I don’t turn an eye on the things still missing. But you said there would be nothing positive, so just to help your phantasy a little, some examples:

• General: Improved editor, better than the old one, Home dashboard, now tasks
  • iOS app (applies to all mobile clients): Nested tags, tools for tables, offline notebooks work better than before etc.
  • Web client: Improved a lot, now far closer to desktop than before

As we write stuff here, devs at EN write code, to further improve the v10 setup. No doubt there is positive momentum in the release pipeline for the v10 products.

• Level 5

Similar look & feel:

Legacy uses the resources of the OS it is running on. This means the same note will look differently when opened on Windows, on Mac and on Android. Beside other factors this happens because legacy uses the fonts installed at the respective OS. Yes, fonts are proprietary to a certain OS. A Windows font is not available on a Mac, and vice versa. So it is replaced, sometimes good, sometimes worse.

The new EN clients bring along their own fonts. You can open a note in whatever client you are, and it will draw the same font, and will look very much the same.

Because legacy hasn’t got the EN fonts (and font handling) you can’t expect it to produce the same look & feel as the v10 clients. Comparing it is futil, it only shows why v10 skipped the local setup in favor of a global one, identical for all EN clients.

44 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Icons: See the picture.

How did you add these icons?

I do not see any menu or other options to add an icon.

34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Whatever you do, one group of users or the other will complain. Too complex, can’t customize, whatever.

So it is better to remove all settings, brilliant. Just because some people are so lazy to read docs. And this is called "tolerance".

Regarding fonts:

1. Was it a big problem to just replace fonts instead of changing font-size too?

2. Was it a big problem to PROPOSE to a user to convert his notes to some "unified" format? BTW, many people use Evernote ONLY on Windows - they do not need this "oh, you can read your notes on Mac too!!!".

I think that at least two things are critical:

1. Notes now look differently (see my example) - just because someone decided to play with fonts & font-size.

2. Notes are opened very slowly.

Call it a progress if you like. My 24 years in SW development disagree.

• Level 5

Icons: On the Mac there is a sort of extended special characters tool (part of MacOS), which includes emojis, and many other symbols. It is called by strg-cmd-space. All my icons are there, and they can be copied to the clipboard.

They can then simply be pasted in any text field, like the notebook title.

Unfortunately they don't show a numerical code or something, so it is a bit try and error which symbol shows in which sequence. It makes for nicer looking notebook names.

Don't know where to find a similar tool in Windows.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Don't know where to find a similar tool in Windows.

Good example of "best" SW development practice:

1. Let's modify notes so they will look similarly in Windows & MacOS (users may not like it but it does not matter).

2. Let create clients for Windows & MacOS with different features.

OK, thank you very much for your answers!

Staying in the Legacy. The latest version works too slow in my rather fast gaming PC.

May be this is because I am not using Mac...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ildar170975 said:

1. Let's modify notes so they will look similarly in Windows & MacOS (users may not like it but it does not matter).

Actually,  many users wanted this feature and complained that it was not previously available...

I remember some posts from when the new Evernote first came out that warned against running both Evernote legacy and Evernote 10 on the same Windows computer. 

Is that still risky? Can running two different versions of Evernote on a Windows 10 machine harm the database?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Coffee First Thing said:

Is that still risky?

I'm using a Mac and running both the Legacy and v10 products   
I'm seeing no issues    
Locally, each product access it's own database; but access the same server database

Warning; you should not edit a note at the same time with each product.  Allow time for the changes to sync

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Actually,  many users wanted this feature and complained that it was not previously available...

Great, but most users DO NOT use Evernote in Windows & Mac - they use it in ONE platform.

So, it would be better to ask a user: "You are trying to open a note creted in a different platform; would you like me to convert this particular note to a unified format?"

Instead, Evernote converted ALL your notes to something which may not nice for you.

Anyway, these changed fonts etc - cannot explain me why my notes are opened so slowly with the latest version. The program became slow - and useless, so goes to Trash can.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, ildar170975 said:

Great, but most users DO NOT use Evernote in Windows & Mac - they use it in ONE platform.

Not sure I would agree about using only one platform and doubt the data would support this assertion. It's easy to assume that our own experience is normative. Perhaps that is what you do but most users that I come across, at least, switch between a desktop OS (Mac or Windows) and a mobile device (Android or iOS). Quite a few also jump over to the web based interface too.

• Like 2

@PinkElephant, twice I thanked you, it seems you did not notice it.

Actually, adding icons is a very tiny issue, for me important things are slow opening on a quite powerful PC & different look (changed font sizes), I wrote it already.

12 hours ago, agsteele said:

Perhaps that is what you do but most users that I come across, at least, switch between a desktop OS (Mac or Windows) and a mobile device (Android or iOS).

I also used Evernote on iPhone & iPad - but mostly for reading notes, not writing them, since it is anyway far from convenient to write anything on mobile device. Basically 90% of notes are created & edited on PC.

BTW, I was 95% satisfied about READING notes on mobile devices, so it was not a big problem for me that notes look differently on PC & mobile clients... Actually, now I even cannot remember even one case when I noticed a significant difference in presentation of notes on PC & mobile client.

It looks like local file links are also missing.  Just downloaded the legacy version and relieved to see that my local notes that had stopped syncing for some reason (another thread) were still present.  Otherwise I would have lost a years work.

I'll stay as long as this legacy version is supported.

I'd be keen to hear about what people move to.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, mcmullan0 said:

It looks like local file links are also missing.  Just downloaded the legacy version and relieved to see that my local notes that had stopped syncing for some reason (another thread) were still present.  Otherwise I would have lost a years work.

I'll stay as long as this legacy version is supported.

I'd be keen to hear about what people move to.

Hi.  By 'local file links' do you mean the ability to open other types of file - documents, spreadsheets etc - from Evernote?  And are your 'local notes that stopped syncing' in a Local Notebook?  Because Local Notebooks are meant not to sync - ie to be available only on the device on which they're stored... and this feature is not supported in v10 which would be why you lost sight of them...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  By 'local file links' do you mean the ability to open other types of file - documents, spreadsheets etc - from Evernote?  And are your 'local notes that stopped syncing' in a Local Notebook?  Because Local Notebooks are meant not to sync - ie to be available only on the device on which they're stored... and this feature is not supported in v10 which would be why you lost sight of them...

Hi,

Sorry, this is really two issues that might be getting confused.  First, I had some notes that had stopped syncing because they were too large.  This large un-synced note issue is one I have to address when I have the time but essentially I was worried that by upgrading, I'd lost the additional changes to these notes that had not synced.  I hadn't and I can still see the full notes on the legacy version.  So everything is fine here.

As a second issue, partly redundant now that I use the legacy version, is that I link files that are local to my mac like symbolic links in the text (file:///my/file/is/here.txt).  I guess this is a yes, I mean the "ability to open other types of file".  It allows me to keep track of data that might be analysed in R and then also appear in a presentation.  So I'll link both files in the text to allow me to trace them.  In the new version these links were all broken, or not clickable at least.

Honestly it's ok if Evernote choose to go in that direction but I was mostly using it to keep track of files and analyses in the way I've outlined above.  It just isn't the case that I can copy these files into Evernote because they are live documents that might change.  For me the whole point of Evernote was to link up notes on a device.  If the legacy version stops being supported that's also fine but I'll have to find something else to track results and analyses.  Unless there is a workaround in the new version that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for getting back

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, starcmr said:

Any suggestions?

You might want to explain what you're posting about in more detail... why are we talking about a registry cleaner exactly?

So with the new release, I was hoping to see if they had restored the three features that are a must have for me, given my work flow. A flow I have been using for years, based on what Evernote could do.

1) Local Notebooks

2) Import Folder

3) Integration with my Fujitsu ScanSnap

Sadly, I see none of the above. Are there new features that might be nice? Sure. But with the basic needs completely broken, it is pointless to look at the "good" stuff when the "bad" stuff has at least three deal breakers.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, eddyj said:

So with the new release, I was hoping to see if they had restored the three features that are a must have for me, given my work flow. A flow I have been using for years, based on what Evernote could do.

1) Local Notebooks

2) Import Folder

3) Integration with my Fujitsu ScanSnap

Sadly, I see none of the above. Are there new features that might be nice? Sure. But with the basic needs completely broken, it is pointless to look at the "good" stuff when the "bad" stuff has at least three deal breakers.

As far as I know 2) is already back,  3) has viable workarounds and 1) is never going to happen.  Your point being?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

As far as I know 2) is already back,  3) has viable workarounds and 1) is never going to happen.  Your point being?

I thought my point was pretty clear. Without those things (and if #2 is back, I missed it), the new version is a non-starter for me. This is a thread on missing features, and I posted what I miss.

• Level 5

About the list: I don’t see a miss with the Fujitsu ScanSnap either.

I am running an ix500 with ScanSnap Manager on my Mac, and it works fine with EN. Import folders further improved scanning as well.

The only ScanSnap scanners that needs an action are the old „Evernote edition“ scanners. Their firmware is not supported any longer by Fujitsu (as all of them are out of production since a while). However they can be updated to a standard ScanSnap, and from that moment will receive the same support as the standard model.

Who does not want to switch the firmware stays with the lack of modern software - out of his own decision not to use an official upgrade.

Local notebooks will not return, and this was clearly communicated in the initial v10 release notes.