The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

I've just gone offline to see what it's like. I had no issues with search, saved searches, tags (if selected from the tag sidebar) adding tags to notes etc etc.

I did have issues with some attachments not being loaded and the absence of the filter menu (which is clearly by design  as a message comes up over the greyed out filter icon). So it clearly is not working as I would expect but I'm not having quite the same issues. I hope the attachments issue is a bug. I'm not sure why the filter menu has been deemed to be uneccessary in offline mode.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I've just gone offline to see what it's like. I had no issues with search, saved searches, tags (if selected from the tag sidebar) adding tags to notes etc etc.

I'm going to have to do a new video to update from my last one about 'offline mode' ... I just tried this again - confirmed my v10 Evernote folder is rolling in at 36GB and that is pretty much the same as the Legacy edition.     I pulled the plug on my hardwire connection and can confirm throughout a random selection of notes from recent through to a couple of years old all loaded up just fine.  I was still getting broken thumbnails in my snippet view, but that's minor - the note contents (including attachments) appeared to be working.

Maybe 2 days wasn't enough for Evernote to download everything in my  36gb database. 

my two major issues:

1. search in notebooks shared by others to yourself doesn‘t work anymore. Yes, you‘re reading correctly: search and sharing are two core feature of Evernote - support confirmed it‘s a known issue (iOS only)
  2. Tag filter is gone. Tags are the core of Evernote - now, we only have suggestions in the search dialog - that‘s not the same! (the current „Tag filter“ shows ALL tags Evernote knows, even those not assigned to any note listed in the notes view - this is not a filter)

So, Search, Sharing, Tags - the core of Evernote - stopped working - while I continue to pay my Premium subscription...

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
12 minutos atrás, ej8899 disse:

I'm going to have to do a new video to update from my last one about 'offline mode' ... I just tried this again - confirmed my v10 Evernote folder is rolling in at 36GB and that is pretty much the same as the Legacy edition.     I pulled the plug on my hardwire connection and can confirm throughout a random selection of notes from recent through to a couple of years old all loaded up just fine.  I was still getting broken thumbnails in my snippet view, but that's minor - the note contents (including attachments) appeared to be working.

Maybe 2 days wasn't enough for Evernote to download everything in my  36gb database. 

Good to know. So, If you already have 36Gb of data from Legacy version, you will need to download again 36Gb of data, but, this time without any indication or warnig that a Sync is taking place....NICE!

I have similar complaints about the "New Evernote for Mac". No Tag filter, Sync doesn't work unless you quit and restart either the desktop or mobile version or both.

An a fundamental issue that I rely on for organization, I no longer know how many notes I have, as note count isn't available?! 

I realize that your are able to use an "enterprise " version of Evernote side by side with the "new and shiny "improved version" but why should I need to change my workflow for a few bells and whistles, many of which seem to be a step backwards. Long long time EN user, frustrated already with the update. 😡

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Rockin1 said:

I realize that your are able to use an "enterprise " version of Evernote side by side with the "new and shiny "improved version" but why should I need to change my workflow

oooo  Shiny,    -   gotta have that
Nope, I'm sticking with the legacy version; no complaints

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, dbvirago said:

I could probably be happy with the legacy version indefinitely...They could, at any time, change the syncing so that it no longer functions with the legacy apps. 

I'm less ambitious; my objective is to be happy for the immediate future   
I estimate/hope1-2 years with the legacy version

• Like 2
On 10/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, agsteele said:

Those of us who've been part of the Beta testing have been speaking up for a number of the functions that have been missed in this release. Notably we pressed for the Import Folders (since this also impacts on the scanning options as well), the ability to use personal shortcuts (perhaps using some form of local settings/options), a sync button (which gives a reassuring function although since the new sync is supposed to be instant it shouldn't be necessary but sometimes is), local folders, plus many other more individual use cases that still seemed to be important.

The ScanSnap scanning requirement that is mentioned will only work using the ScanSnap Home software (not the the older ScanSnap Manager) but this is apparently (and as noted above) not working well and requires firmware upgrades for the old ScanSnap for Evernote scanners.

It is quite possible to have the older version of Evernote (6.25) running at the same time as the new release. This is exactly what I have.  This allows me to use the new version whilst still providing the ScanSnap scanning that I have used for years and Import folders.  I have disk space and processor power available so running both versions isn't a big deal for me. If I had to choose one version or the other then I'd be sticking with 6.25 for now. As it is I can explore both worlds.

How did you keep the older version of Evernote (6.25)?  When I installed the version 10, 6.25 is removed.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, TonyLim said:

How did you keep the older version of Evernote (6.25)?  When I installed the version 10, 6.25 is removed.

Download the legacy version from here
They renamed it to Evernote Legacy so it doesn't conflict with the official version

Thanks.  Got both of them installed.

OMG, the version 10 looks exactly like the web version.  If the functionalities are the same, why do I need the version 10.  The Shortcut bar is gone.  Need to go back to the Legacy version for now.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MarcSant said:

Yeah, at least, there is a chance to continue to using this version, util I migrate my notes to another place.

But, legacy version lacks native 64 bit versions, that has better deal with huge text notes (source code).

I'm thinking very serious to abandon Evernote. I'm looking into Notion and it is a really good alternative.

Let's see what happens.

I'm not ready to abandon Evernote, but even on the list of what's coming next to Evernote 10, I don't see keyboard shortcuts. I create a new notes and paste into notes all the time in Evernote 6.

I'm looking at Notion, just to be safe, in case Evernote 10 doesn't become complete. Notion's different and far from perfect. (For instance, the Android version of Notion doesn't have the ability to quickly create a note from the notification bar.) 

19 hours ago, MarcSant said:

It's really sad. I started my migration plan. And I believe, I'm not alone on this.

no, you are note alone...what are you planning to migrate to?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mi_cha said:

I am also a user of MS OneNote (collaborative work with some specific institutions).

As far as I know, ON notebooks are stored on the cloud (OneDrive), notes are not local - just the same problem as EN v.10.

Syncing is realiable, web-clipper for Chrome and the android widget work fine. You're right, the software is well written and stable.

ON looks fancy (lots of color and icons, the design is very nice) but is not conceived to manage thousands of notes. It simply lacks the tools, I don`t mean that ON is technically unable to save thousands of notes.

It works  well for small-to-medium databases, but - in my humble opinion - is not a substitute for heavy users of Evernote with large databases.

I use ON quite heavily for business and you can handle a lot of notes and the search is pretty decent these days, I do agree about the lack of tools to manage thousands of notes though. If ON had the tagging and search functionality as EN it would be fantastic, I am not a fan of the low level tagging in ON.

Regarding the sync, on my machines ON stores the notebooks in full in the OneDrive folder so I can access them fully offline, as opposed to other files that are 'available on demand' in OneDrive.

• Like 2

So glad that I found this thread. 'Upgrading' to the new version is no longer an option. Several years ago EN 'improved' their product by removing several functions that I used regularly as well as did not have a working extension for Firefox. I gave in & started using Chrome and continued to request/complain about the missing functions. Some of them were reinstituted and I stopped my search for an alternative. 

With this change I must find an alternative that can handle a rather large database. Please post your recommendations!

• Like 2

OneNote have a great tool to batch import your notes. For me, is most close to Evernote that I know. The Mobile app is really good, and the web capture extension is better than Evernote. But, it's lacks some good features that Evernote have (or at least, had).

Notion, is another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

This is program that I'm testing right now, until Evernote Legacy is supported. 

• Thanks 2
1 hora atrás, toao disse:

I'm testing Notion: another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

This is program that I'm testing right now, until Evernote Legacy is supported. 

10 horas atrás, Coffee First Thing disse:

I'm not ready to abandon Evernote, but even on the list of what's coming next to Evernote 10, I don't see keyboard shortcuts. I create a new notes and paste into notes all the time in Evernote 6.

I'm looking at Notion, just to be safe, in case Evernote 10 doesn't become complete. Notion's different and far from perfect. (For instance, the Android version of Notion doesn't have the ability to quickly create a note from the notification bar.) 

Yes, I agree. But, que main question here is: WHEN. When we will have the core features that we need, and for long time the Legacy version will be supported. 

And, the more important question: is it really worth continuing to be a paying "BETA TESTER"?

Because that is what we are being now. We are paying to test a BETA version.

• Like 2
14 horas atrás, Kolmir disse:

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

I made some tests using the import tool, and, here are some important tips:

- Don't try to import everything in one batch. Take the small Notebooks and import 2 by 2, or one by one.

- Encrypted notes need to be de-crypted before you import them.

- Plug you Mac or PC to lan port or a relly fast reliable wifi network. The import tool read your notes and save them directly into the cloud, so, a fast network is important. 

- You can import using the Legacy version if is installed, or the file exported by Export option. Using the exported file appears to be faster than using the direct access method. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 2
13 horas atrás, Kolmir disse:

In the End User License agreement, probably have  some obscure clause that protects Evernote company from Lawsuits like this. But, we can do more if we make a coordinate social media buzz. Contact CNN? Or another important tech channel?

They need to be know that we are all pissed off. At least, I'm in the right moment. 

How irritating it can be since I'm here in the middle of Sunday thinking about how to migrate my data to another service, instead to playing a video game or playing with my kids?

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 10/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Shane D.: First of all, I hope they gave you last week off to get ready for this! :)

Second, can you please clarify something WRT the "legacy" program = v. 6.25.1.9198: is it possible to download and install the new version alongside an existing v. 6.25 installation? Or does the new version (v. 10, I take it) overwrite/delete an installed v. 6.25, making it necessary to then download and install the "legacy" v. 6.25.1.1998? And in either case, will the legacy version and the new version both access the same on-disk Evernote database, or does the new version create a different database? Full details, please! TIA.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:59 PM, wolfonta said:

@Dave-in-Decatur I have both the legacy and the new version running side by side right now and it seems fine.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, RobertJSawyer said:

Shane, it'd be nice if your installer checked to see if the user was running Windows 10 BEFORE it blew away the existing Evenote installation.  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit, and your installer deleted my entire Evernote installation AND THEN decided it couldn't install Evernote 10 (giving only a cryptic message that no appropriate file-association was set), leaving me with NO EVERNOTE AT ALL. Fortunately, I'd set a Windows restore point before doing the install, but sheesh.

OK, so I'm a bit mystified here. On the one hand, it is possible to run the legacy program and the new one side by side. I have the impression that the new one does not download a full notes database, so the two apps would not be accessing the same on-disk data. OTOH, @RobertJSawyer's experience seems to suggest that best practice might be to back up your database (esp. WRT any local notebooks), install the new program (which will obliterate any existing Evernote installation), and only then (re)install the legacy program and either allow it to download the full notes database or copy your backed-up DB to where it can find it. This seems like important knowledge, since judging by the forums a whole lot of people are going to use the legacy program. Can anyone (esp. @Shane D.) confirm that this is the proper procedure?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

an anyone (esp. @Shane D.) confirm that this is the proper procedure?

I can already complicate the list a little - judging from one post today,  the legacy install actually adds BOTH v10 and v6.25 in one go.  V10 will go on and download its database in the background (over some days if it's a big database) - don't know whether you can get away with keeping your existing 6.25 database,  or whether that will get nuked by v10.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks ... I think. :huh: All of this is academic to me at the moment, as I'm still on Windows 7. But that has to change in the next few months, and when I upgrade to a new computer I will have to deal with the new-Evernote+legacy. If I delay long enough, maybe they'll be up to 10.5 or so and have restored import folders and global shortcuts, including screen clips, so that I might not need the legacy. Ever the optimist....

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

How is the local data stored in V10?  Does it use one .exb file like V6.25 does or is some other structure used?

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.

I’ll have to rethink backups.  Currently I take periodic dumps of the exb and call it a day.  

• Level 5
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

Very helpful post here by @Alxa, who found it in C:/users/youraccount/appdata/roaming/evernote:

• Thanks 1

My best bet so far is a folder:

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache

This contains thousands of folders and files dating from when I upgraded from beta to v10 to today.. I'm way out of my competence zone here so I could be completely wrong!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very helpful post here by @Alxa, who found it in C:/users/youraccount/appdata/roaming/evernote:

Thanks.  I saw that but didn’t know if a single exb was still being used, or some other structure.  I wonder if v10 will provide us a way to perform a local backup that we could restore from if needed?

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:
  • I note in particular that all global shortcuts are gone. Among other things, this means you can no longer start a new note from outside Evernote!

absurd is the word for this. Creating a new note on the fly, regardless of what app I'm in is essential. How could Evernote not get this? In fact, I have most of my mouse buttons configured to do something in Evernote. One mouse button is configured to do a search in Evernote which is great because regardless of the program I'm in, I can quickly open up Evernote, and see the cursor flashing in the search field. 

• Like 2
On 10/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, gazumped said:

I get that for usage and budget reasons it would be good to cut down on their bandwidth so users don't sync GB-level databases (guilty!) on a regular basis - but if regular users start downloading notebooks for backup purposes,  seems to me that will tie up their servers quite nicely,  feeding the streams.

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? Everything is cloud-based?  My internet service cannot be updated (country bumpkin) and I only have 4-5 MB up and 1 down.  It is why I can't use cloud-based backup services, and is an important reason I started using Evernote. I'm screwed, right?

Edit-shoot: my speed isn't in MB up or down but  Mbps... 4.4 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up.  I think Mbps are even smaller than MB - I always confuse that sort of thing.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, lisec said:

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? 

There is a local database file for offline use
On the Mac, we're restricted to .enex export 

I have no information on the import feature
edit: The import feature is still supported on Macs

10 minutes ago, lisec said:

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? Everything is cloud-based?  My internet service cannot be updated (country bumpkin) and I only have 4-5 MB up and 1 down.  It is why I can't use cloud-based backup services, and is an important reason I started using Evernote. I'm screwed, right?

You're OK for now.. There is a local sql database and attachment folder BUT if you have limited bandwidth , it is going to download EVERYTHING to get fully synced up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

And what happens to all my saved and exported exb files?  I would create an exb of projects and keep them archived, then re-import when I needed them. Would I have to re-import all exb files before upgrading?  (not that I am going to be upgrading...)

edit: sorry, I meant enex files

Edited by lisec
update
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

You're OK for now.. There is a local sql database and attachment folder BUT if you have limited bandwidth , it is going to download EVERYTHING to get fully synced up.

But, can we restore from that local database copy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

But, can we restore from that local database copy?

Definitely not - all the attachments are kept separately in individual files from what I've seen playing around in the folder structure this morning . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Definitely not - all the attachments are kept separately in individual files from what I've seen playing around in the folder structure this morning . 

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  So, we are "not" good.  We will be limited to the server copies and any history it has for backups and will no longer be able to make our own backups.  Well, sh&t ...

Or, and I thought of this after posting, we probably can still use enex files for backup and restore.  For my usage, a little more work since my preference was to just backup the exb file as part of my system backup solution.  

Edited by s2sailor
Added other comments.
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, lisec said:

And what happens to all my saved and exported exb files?  I would create an exb of projects and keep them archived, then re-import when I needed them. Would I have to re-import all enex files before upgrading?

IF the import feature is still supported, I don't see any change to your situation
No - you don't have to re-import all enex files before upgrading

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  So, we are "not" good.  We will be limited to the server copies and any history it has for backups and will no longer be able to make our own backups.  Well, sh&t ...

This is bad.  I use Evernote on more than one Windows computer. I usually copy my most recent exb file to the other computer before doing a sync when I haven't used it in a while. Now it looks like I will have to download *everything* on each computer (three!) with terrible speeds... It could take more than a week to get them all at their baseline, and then to download again just to keep up. If I wanted cloud-only storage I would have gotten cloud-only storage!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, lisec said:

This is bad.  I use Evernote on more than one Windows computer. I usually copy my most recent exb file to the other computer before doing a sync when I haven't used it in a while. Now it looks like I will have to download *everything* on each computer (three!) with terrible speeds... It could take more than a week to get them all at their baseline, and then to download again just to keep up. If I wanted cloud-only storage I would have gotten cloud-only storage!

Yes, that was how I updated new PCs too.  Only having to deal with the exb file was nice.  I would hope that Evernote does not remove enex export and import, so we hopefully will still have that option, but I think you have to do that notebook by notebook otherwise you will lose the notebook information.  A tedious process if you have many notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, lisec said:

not that I am going to be upgrading...

I am waiting for the new version issues to be resolved before I make any decision
In the meantime, the legacy version continues to work well for me

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Only having to deal with the exb file was nice.

I migrated to several PCs with my growing (now 25GB+) database.  I saw somewhere (brain hurts - can't give you a link...) that backups will still be available in v10 by exporting/ downloading each notebook into an ENEX file. 

There is a utility (Backupery) that would extract those automatically from an EXB file,  but they're in the same state as us users at the moment - Evernote currently doesn't support that sort of excess access* - so they're looking at API backups online.  Maybe.  

EDIT:  Told you my brain hurts... 😏

• Like 2

Today my system told me my C drive capacity is low...after installing V10 in 2 days????!!!

My system drive has 120GB and it had about 25-30GB free space yesterday.

I used to save my EN database on the other drive. Now the database took up all my already-too-small system drive space.

I found NO WAY to change database location setting in the preference...

I thought modifying timestamp would be the only issue and it will come anytime soon in the later release.

Now I am sad...and mad at evernote because it wastes my two good days (weekend).

I hope Francesco D'Alessio is aware. There are a lot of die-hard users (me included) who can't believe what Evernote have done here.

Notion - I thought it did have offline @MarcSant? But currently no hidden OCR index behind images

OneNote - no ootb tags which makes searching harder for me. It has OCR though

Roam - ain't cheap...

Airtable - more structured information rather than freeform writing?

Awful for me to be talking about moving off Evernote after 12 years, but this release is forcing my hand.

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, avevers said:

Notion - I thought it did have offline @MarcSant? But currently no hidden OCR index behind images

No OCR, weak privacy, no global search inside the tables.

38 minutes ago, avevers said:

Airtable - more structured information rather than freeform writing?

Great tables but haven't full support all other languages than English.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

Holy s**t

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, gazumped said:

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

We have the same problem on Macs; double storage
It would have been so nice if a common database could be shared, however that's not realistic
I look forward to learning about the new and improved database format   
Pre v10
- Windows have everything crammed into a single .exb database file    
- Macs have a small database for metadata, and separate folders for each note's content   
v10     
?

• Like 1

I am also looking to migrate to Notion.  For offline, this is what is available now.  Hopefully, a better offline solution is provided soon.

No OCR now, but it is on the roadmap.  I can live with it.  And probably explore other add-on option.

What are important but lacking in Notion are: Tags and Web Clipper.

The Tags are local to the Page or Database.  There is a Global Tags Database workaround which I am still exploring and testing.  

The Web Clipper is really not as good as Evernote.  Need to find a solution to this before I switch.

30 minutes ago, imagemaster said:

No OCR, weak privacy, no global search inside the tables.

Great tables but haven't full support all other languages than English.

Notion is nothing like as mature as Evernote (6, not 10), then... I use Notion as a CRM but not looked into using it as a viable Evernote replacement. Might still be the closest alternative we currently have, and they seem more open about their planned roadmap.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bradsayers said:

absurd is the word for this. Creating a new note on the fly, regardless of what app I'm in is essential. How could Evernote not get this? In fact, I have most of my mouse buttons configured to do something in Evernote. One mouse button is configured to do a search in Evernote which is great because regardless of the program I'm in, I can quickly open up Evernote, and see the cursor flashing in the search field. 

I agree. Fast note creation (with keyboard shortcuts) is something I do in Evernote at least a dozen times a day. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Maybe ODS is on the V10 road map?   ;) 

Seriously though I wonder where the search is executed if you have a fully downloaded DB and are online?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, CalS said:

Seriously though I wonder where the search is executed if you have a fully downloaded DB and are online?

With IOS, the search is executed at the server when online (edit pre v10)
The downloaded DB is ignored.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

With IOS, the search is executed at the server when online
The downloaded DB is ignored.

Yeah, know that in the old world order, just wondering about the new world order.

EDIT:  Unless you mean new world order IOS

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, know that in the old world order, just wondering about the new world order.

EDIT:  Unless you mean new world order IOS

I edited my post to specify pre V10 (old world order)   
I'll test in v10; just having trouble with the full download DB part

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, lisec said:

BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features.

We are seeing currently on Evn side following things: no integrity, lack of proper management, and poor engineering standards. No communication. No proper Quality Assurance.

Therefore, I afraid, that their 2-years foundation may be pretty weak and unstable. Building on that may be just as bad as building a house on swamps/quicksand...

EvN may be simply a sinking ship. An example of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

On 10/11/2020 at 7:43 PM, toao said:

I'm exploring Notion, but some of the features I love about Evernote are missing from Notion:

Notion doesn't let you create a note from the notification bar in Android (creating notes quickly is important to me)
No OCR
No location tagging of notes created on an Android phone
Notion's create a new note keyboard shortcut in Windows (control-N) conflicts with Google Chrome
Notion doesn't have an "all notes" view
The Android app doesn't have the ability to create photo notes (though you can share a photo with Notion and add it that way) 

I'm going to continue to use the legacy version of Evernote for awhile. It works fine and I hope that over the next few weeks, Evernote 10 will become more like Evernote 6. 

I've been an Evernote Premium user since 2008.

• Like 1
On 10/11/2020 at 12:21 AM, dbvirago said:

I could probably be happy with the legacy version indefinitely, but to me it raises several problems. 

If we thought development was stagnant, this means it is now at a complete standstill.

Based on the amount of time that has gone into v10, the length of the closed and open Beta, and the amount of feedback they received, and the final release, I don't have much faith that v10 will improve much or soon, so indefinitely is truly indefinitely.

They could, at any time, change the syncing so that it no longer functions with the legacy apps. 

I don't think disappointed is quite strong enough. 

I think the legacy version should last a couple of months quite reliably. I wouldn't rely on it beyond that though for anything mission critical. We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

I think the legacy version should last a couple of months quite reliably. I wouldn't rely on it beyond that though for anything mission critical. We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

I agree with everything in this post... it is very clear EN is struggling internally and my guess is they've lost lots of top talent that doesn't need to stay on a sinking ship. I'm thinking if I can downgrade to 6.* for a couple of months that gives me time to proof-of-concept Notion or others (with my data) and make the jump safely. Not how I wanted to spend October, but... (Is this where I say "Thank, Evenote!"?). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

I think the legacy version should last a couple of months quite reliably. I wouldn't rely on it beyond that though for anything mission critical. 

I'm estimating/hoping for a longer time frame (years)

>>We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

I agree.  
I'm not making decisions based on the initial release of a work-in-progress product   
I also haven't installed the new version on my primary device

1 hora atrás, jcnassoc disse:

I too am a long-time Evernote (paying) user / fan / advocate. And I too have been devastated to see what was once an outstanding piece of software utterly destroyed. This is sad. 

Yeah, me too. I spoke about Evernote to almost all my work fellows and colleagues and now I was really disappointed. The ticket that I opened in the support was answered today, and the only path that tech support guy instructed my is "Use the Legacy Version".

I'm pretty sure that I know which direction the company is aiming at with the product, and for me, it's enough. I'm planning to invest my effort to Notion, and leave Evernote and wishes good luck.

• Thanks 1

The answer I got from representative support:

"Hello there Marcelo,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Evernote Customer Support. This is Jeffrey, and I'll be assisting you today.

I understand you'd like to go back to using the older version of Evernote. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any other questions or clarifications, feel free to reply to this email. We will do our best to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative"

So, for those are not happy with the new 10 version, there only 2 possible options:

- Stick with legacy version

- Switch to another product. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I agree.  I'm not making decisions based on the initial release of a work-in-progress   

Well, I waited roundabout 2 years. Maybe longer. Evernote is missing new features and progress since at least 2 years. I had a nasty bug with highlighting formatting I was in contact with the support about. At some point I just realized  that they won't fix it anymore as they plan to launch a new editor anyways. And I accepted that and I waited for the relaunch to come. I was expecting something comparable to Notion because this seems to be the state of the art for a notes app.

As I said before: A software full with bugs is one thing that happens often (even Apple sometimes publishs critial OS versions). My problem are not the bugs - bugs could be fixed. My problem is the horrible UX. I won't accept that. Evernote seemingly made the choice to move in a certain direction. This is not my direction. Maybe they did a competitor analysis and decided that powerusers should just use Notion while everyone who is looking for a simple notes app with just a bit more functionality than Apple's native app should use Evernote. If so, they will have to reinvent their business model, I guess the power users are those who are willing to pay for premium. Whatever, that's their thing and not my business.

In hindsight: When I heard the very first speech of the new CEO I should have known it ;) The speech was a terrible sequence of buzzword-overloaded sentences without meaning. Tenor was: "Let's not talk about features, let's talk about what Evernote should feel like". I think he had a strategic shift in mind: Get away from demaning power users and nerds and try to become the go-to app for everyone who is just looking for an Apple Notes pendant that works on Windows as well.

• Like 4

At least in my point of view, they are unifying the product to have a single development team, reducing costs by allowing the Windows team to have the same development base for Apple. 

This forces them to remove features that are highly dependent on the operating system, such as sending a note via email, changing the font to a list larger than just 5, among other things. 

What they did was: "we will implement a multi-platform version, release it with what we could provide for both ecosystems, and over time we will implement back what we removed." 

From a business point of view, it makes sense because you save money and focus in one direction only, with shorter development cycles.

But the problem is that they haven't thought about users at all: they've launched the new product and damn what the user thinks. They could have minimized all this stress by sending an email to all users talking about the new version, and in this email putting the link to the Legacy version in case the user didn't feel comfortable with the changes.

I live here in Brazil, I have always praised and spoken well of American Technology companies, how serious they are, competent and how they produce excellent systems and products that help our lives, but this time, sincerely gave me shame about what they did. 

It was very, very amateurish. I would expect this kind of posture from a backyard company, a beginner, which has a bunch of teenage nerds starting now, but, honestly, the role is inverted: The teenage nerds are producing each time more great products, creating applications that are innovating and changing the life of many people, and contrary to what I said, they don't take these decisions that irritate so many people in such a short time.

I think the company's board needs to look to this, it needs to look to what is happening, it is not just a bunch of angry people with a new function or new resource but essential functions that makes the product viable for the users.

Evernote as a company can't just believe that because we depend on them we won't migrate to another platform, we can and will do it! 15 years ago there wasn't alternative, today we have, and to have alternatives means that your product can't give margin for error. 

And this last change was a grotesque mistake, which is leading to a huge base of paying users to rethink Evernote as a loyal note companion. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, MarcSant said:

The answer I got from representative support:

"Hello there Marcelo,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Evernote Customer Support. This is Jeffrey, and I'll be assisting you today.

I understand you'd like to go back to using the older version of Evernote. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any other questions or clarifications, feel free to reply to this email. We will do our best to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative"

So, for those are not happy with the new 10 version, there only 2 possible options:

- Stick with legacy version

- Switch to another one. 

Thanks for sharing their response Marc. Seems to me they are 100% NOT taking responsibility for what's happened... almost making it seem it is our (users') odd-ball "scenarios" that require us to downgrade. 

1 minuto atrás, jcnassoc disse:

Thanks for sharing their response Marc. Seems to me they are 100% NOT taking responsibility for what's happened... almost making it seem it is our (users') odd-ball "scenarios" that require us to downgrade. 

Yeah. At least, some support manager will be get promotion bonuses when their support team will be handle more than 100% increase support tickets in the next few weeks!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm estimating/hoping for a longer time frame (years)

>>We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

I agree.  
I'm not making decisions based on the initial release of a work-in-progress product   
I also haven't installed the new version on my primary device

I think it will be more than a couple of months, just based on how slowly they develop. But I don't think it will be years. At some point, they will change the engine behind syncing and that is when it will break. Of course, as a standalone app, there is no reason it won't work as long as the OS can handle it.

• Like 1

I've been an Evernote user since 2012 and a premium subscriber since 2014.  I use the Mac client (v7) on my work machine, two home Windows machines on 6.25, my phone (iOS) and iPad Pro.  I've been using Mac at work since July and been loving the dark mode.  The functionality seems to have some odd omissions versus the Windows client but nothing I couldn't live with.  I came to this post after googling for the copy/paste issue from Outlook, which for a while I thought was user error (I've been getting used to MacOS keyboard shortcuts) or a setting.

So I didn't even know there was a v10 version until googling.  I got excited for a minute or two... then I started reading the feedback and got worried. 

I've got 3700+ notes , about 3000 of which are work related.  I'm very concerned about the time and effort involved in migrating them to another platform, and the cognitive effort to get used to it.  I just don't have the time for that right now!  A while back I tried to migrate to OneNote due to restrictions on my old Win 10 work laptop, and it was a disaster.  The import mangles the notebook stack/notebook/note structure and doesn't do multiple tagging!   

So I'm now thinking I'll have to find something else.  I'm yet to find something that meets my requirements.  Having recently paid my yearly subscription I've now got just under a year to research and switch.  UNLESS some of the things I'm reading here change!  No local notes?? That's ridiculous! My internet is pretty good but if I couldn't refer to my notes during an outage it would be disastrous!  The web version is ok as a backup if I'm on a different device but isn't a suitable platform for the main reference.  This might be the kick I needed to spend some time rolling my own.

• Like 8
  • Level 5

I feel your pain, 4d4m. I too dread the idea of a migration to another product and the time and effort involved. I too have a few thousand notes, and some of them with encrypted text--which I am assuming no EN alternative--even one's with the ability to import EN data--will be able to handle. Not happy!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Of course, as a standalone app, there is no reason it won't work as long as the OS can handle it.

Just be sure and never log out.  You need a server to log in.  That's the stopgap should EN suddenly disappear as a business.  Then you have what you need to port to wherever.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, dbvirago said:

At some point, they will change the engine behind syncing and that is when it will break. Of course, as a standalone app, there is no reason it won't work as long as the OS can handle it.

At that point, the "beating a dead horse" analogy will be completed
By then, I will have converted to v10 or another service

• Level 5
16 hours ago, lisec said:

I'm as pissed as everyone else, and really angry at Evernote for putting out this version without FULL details (surely they must have expected this blow-back), BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features. So I'll hang on the older version and give them a bit of time to do their work. Yes, the screwed up big time with this, but it really was just an error of releasing too early. At least that's what I hope.

I sort of feel the same--though I can't actually try out the new version until I upgrade to a Windows 10 system in a month or so. By then, some of the desired functionality may be starting to trickle back in. I also use Scrivener. They are a much, much smaller company, with only a couple of programmers, and they have had a new Windows program in beta for a couple of years, not wanting to release a finalized version until it's really ready. A lot of users are really aggravated, though the beta does seem to work reliably.

So, the Goldilocks syndrome: this software released too early, it's all borked and feature-free, I'm going elsewhere; this software took too long to be finalized, I'm out of patience, I'm going elsewhere; this software released right on time and was absolutely perfect, I'm hallucinating. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 10/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, MarcSant said:

Please, if you noted some another missing feature, feel free to contribute to this list.

- Lack of bunch of useful keyboard shortcuts such as F6 putting you in the search box, F2 putting you the note title

- Not being able to select more than 50 notes at a time

- CTRL + D to change the font, size, color etc. I guess part of the keyboard shortcuts above, but I use it so much that I have to type it. :) 

- If I pulled a note from the shortcut menu, the card view goes away and the note takes up more space which is fine but now my CTRL + 2 for example does not take me to the shortcut item. 

8 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I'm exploring Notion

I am exploring Nimbus and I must say it is really awesome so far. I am missing the card view and being able to store and Excel file in the app that you can launch does not seem to work for Nimbus. But everything else, they are hitting what I wanted from Evernote.

• Like 1

It's really useful to learn of these alternatives. Sometimes the smaller players can still deliver the biggest value.

Keep 'em coming - I want to be ready for the Evernopocalpyse if it is indeed coming.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, MarcSant said:

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

This. I don't know what they were thinking - my notes are MESSY to look at at this point. As well as the lack of colors to choose from. So we got four new highlighter colors (which could already be accessed by a work-around copy-paste thing in previous versions) and got pretty much all creative user input deleted for what? Streamlining? The entire update feels like a GIANT step back compared to the previous version, I am very disappointed :(

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dsm42 said:

It is missing the "Top List" view option - which is necessary for how I use Evernote.   I had to find an old downloaded version and reinstall that one...

Essential to me too. What a disastrous release.

2 hours ago, mi_cha said:

I`ve just found Nimbus Notes today and I'll give a try. Notion and OneNote do not seem substitutes to me.

My first 5 minutes testing Nimbus Desktop client for Windows. Unsystematic impressions:

pros:

1. offline access (offline database synced to server NOT local notebooks as EN 6.x)
  2. sync button and status info available (peace of mind to me)
  3. folders show note count number
  4. color tags available for folders and notes
  5. web clipper for Chrome works fine

cons:

1. the Windows desktop client is written in Electron, just like the new EN 10. So, it feels like a web app, VERY little  customization (no status bar, no toolbar for shortcuts i.e.!!)
  2. unable to open more than one note in different windows simultaneously
  3. title is incorporated to the note text, as a header - so it disappears as the user scrolls the text down, just like EN 10
  4. internal links work, but they look like a https:// path, followed by a long alphanumeric sequence (you have to click to know what note it refers to]
  5. a bullet list is automatically created if the line starts with a symbol (no way to disable it, annoying)
  6. few fonts (default | serif | handwritten | mono) and sizes (S - M  - L), just like EN 10
  7. detailed note list view is not available (in fact, there is only one list view mode, which can be sorted by "title", "created date" and "update")

In short, as far as I could see, Nimbus is no substitute for EN 6.25, but it might be a similiar competitor to EN 10, if it remains as it is.

In this case, I will be forced to adjust to a new note-taking concept, with way less functions.

For now: working with EN 6.25 and watching how EN 10 evolves (hope EN come to its senses!!).

• Like 2
On 10/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, DMiddleton said:

Regarding the sync, on my machines ON stores the notebooks in full in the OneDrive folder so I can access them fully offline, as opposed to other files that are 'available on demand' in OneDrive.

You're right, my mistake: ON notebooks can be stored offline.

Another missing feature for me: the tabs on the right (pages) are not automatically sorted (by title, date created, date modified, whatever), so, it is really hard to manage more than 50 pages.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mi_cha said:

You're right, my mistake: ON notebooks can be stored offline.

The old OneNote used to save the file locally, and I think perhaps the stand-alone app does as well, but I remember getting an email about 2-3 years ago where they said OneNote was now online only. I know there was some distinction between stand-alone and the new OneNote.

7 hours ago, JaneneF said:

This - - I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack. -- alone is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Other things:

Also, I can print multiple notes at one time or at least I can't figure out how to do it.

I can't sort or filter by notebook.

The new search and filter takes some getting used to. The key is to select the notebook before you start doing anything. If you then search you will have an option (it's very faint) below the search bar to filter in the notebook you have slected so need to click add filter there

image.png.ff817c7365b1f0b46dcf86a5f92f8f29.png

For filtering, again if you start in a notebook it will filter the notes in that notebook.

There are all sorts of things you simply cannot do easily - the main ones that annoy me being:

• Can't save a filter only a search even if the net results are identical.
  • Can't select "any" like you can in the legacy version.

The advanced search syntax does work which is something

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, avevers said:

Also - table of contents gone? (I wouldn't know- I moved back to 6.5 in no time)

There is an (in my opinion better) alternative to the TOC but I don't think it is obvious. Once you have selected the notes you need to select "copy internal links" either by right clicking a selected note or from the three dots in the blue multi-select menu. You can then paste those links into a new note. If you hit the numbered list icon first and then paste them in you will get a numbered list. The reasons I like it more than the existing system is:

• You can reorder the numbered list by dragging and dropping
  • You can add the list to an existing note - I have alot of dashboard notes which are my constantly evolving gateway into a particular topic

The advanced syntax are all those wonderful tricks for searching for exactly what you want. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax 

The new search/filter process makes some of these less needed because of the built in ability to search/filter for things like notes containing pdfs. This is provided you have remembered to build up your search in the notebook -> filter -> text order I described.

16 hours ago, mi_cha said:

My first 5 minutes testing Nimbus Desktop client for Windows. Unsystematic impressions:

pros:

1. offline access (offline database synced to server NOT local notebooks as EN 6.x)
  2. sync button and status info available (peace of mind to me)
  3. folders show note count number
  4. color tags available for folders and notes
  5. web clipper for Chrome works fine

cons:

1. the Windows desktop client is written in Electron, just like the new EN 10. So, it feels like a web app, VERY little  customization (no status bar, no toolbar for shortcuts i.e.!!)
  2. unable to open more than one note in different windows simultaneously
  3. title is incorporated to the note text, as a header - so it disappears as the user scrolls the text down, just like EN 10
  4. internal links work, but they look like a https:// path, followed by a long alphanumeric sequence (you have to click to know what note it refers to]
  5. a bullet list is automatically created if the line starts with a symbol (no way to disable it, annoying)
  6. few fonts (default | serif | handwritten | mono) and sizes (S - M  - L), just like EN 10
  7. detailed note list view is not available (in fact, there is only one list view mode, which can be sorted by "title", "created date" and "update")

In short, as far as I could see, Nimbus is no substitute for EN 6.25, but it might be a similiar competitor to EN 10, if it remains as it is.

In this case, I will be forced to adjust to a new note-taking concept, with way less functions.

For now: working with EN 6.25 and watching how EN 10 evolves (hope EN come to its senses!!).

well my issue with nimbus is that they neither seem to have local notebooks nor zero knowledge encryption, i.e. they can read your notes...otherwise it would have been great, but this is a show stopper for me...