gazumped

Idea

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

It's unbelievable how such a good product can turn into such a bad thing that it induces a customer from years of using the product and the platform to start a process of mass migration of their data

I`ve just installed the new v. 10 and I just couldn't believe my eyes: oh, no, they kept most of the horrible beta version they realeased a few weeks ago! I would't call it an upgrade. I see it a

I gave up trying v.10 and am back to previous v. 6.25.1.9091 (last stable version). I use Evernote for work, not for leisure. The poor design and missing features affect my workflow. I just

Posted Images

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

an anyone (esp. @Shane D.) confirm that this is the proper procedure?

I can already complicate the list a little - judging from one post today,  the legacy install actually adds BOTH v10 and v6.25 in one go.  V10 will go on and download its database in the background (over some days if it's a big database) - don't know whether you can get away with keeping your existing 6.25 database,  or whether that will get nuked by v10.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks ... I think. :huh: All of this is academic to me at the moment, as I'm still on Windows 7. But that has to change in the next few months, and when I upgrade to a new computer I will have to deal with the new-Evernote+legacy. If I delay long enough, maybe they'll be up to 10.5 or so and have restored import folders and global shortcuts, including screen clips, so that I might not need the legacy. Ever the optimist....

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If I delay long enough

It might take a while - the real crunch is going to be exactly how fast can Evernote add new (i.e.our old) features now they have their code base re-engineered?

Apparently some old features might not make it - see 

And vote!  How can they consider not sharing notes by email!!  (I'd love to know what other features they're still thinking about too....)

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

How is the local data stored in V10?  Does it use one .exb file like V6.25 does or is some other structure used?

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.

I’ll have to rethink backups.  Currently I take periodic dumps of the exb and call it a day.  

• Level 5
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Pretty sure its not an EXB file,  but v10 seems to download something in background to allow offline working.  If anyone can track down exactly what,  please let us know!!

Very helpful post here by @Alxa, who found it in C:/users/youraccount/appdata/roaming/evernote:

• Thanks 1

My best bet so far is a folder:

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache

This contains thousands of folders and files dating from when I upgraded from beta to v10 to today.. I'm way out of my competence zone here so I could be completely wrong!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very helpful post here by @Alxa, who found it in C:/users/youraccount/appdata/roaming/evernote:

Thanks.  I saw that but didn’t know if a single exb was still being used, or some other structure.  I wonder if v10 will provide us a way to perform a local backup that we could restore from if needed?

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:
  • I note in particular that all global shortcuts are gone. Among other things, this means you can no longer start a new note from outside Evernote!

absurd is the word for this. Creating a new note on the fly, regardless of what app I'm in is essential. How could Evernote not get this? In fact, I have most of my mouse buttons configured to do something in Evernote. One mouse button is configured to do a search in Evernote which is great because regardless of the program I'm in, I can quickly open up Evernote, and see the cursor flashing in the search field. 

• Like 2
On 10/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, gazumped said:

I get that for usage and budget reasons it would be good to cut down on their bandwidth so users don't sync GB-level databases (guilty!) on a regular basis - but if regular users start downloading notebooks for backup purposes,  seems to me that will tie up their servers quite nicely,  feeding the streams.

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? Everything is cloud-based?  My internet service cannot be updated (country bumpkin) and I only have 4-5 MB up and 1 down.  It is why I can't use cloud-based backup services, and is an important reason I started using Evernote. I'm screwed, right?

Edit-shoot: my speed isn't in MB up or down but  Mbps... 4.4 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up.  I think Mbps are even smaller than MB - I always confuse that sort of thing.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, lisec said:

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? 

There is a local database file for offline use
On the Mac, we're restricted to .enex export 

I have no information on the import feature
edit: The import feature is still supported on Macs

10 minutes ago, lisec said:

Am I getting this right - there is no local database file to backup anymore? Everything is cloud-based?  My internet service cannot be updated (country bumpkin) and I only have 4-5 MB up and 1 down.  It is why I can't use cloud-based backup services, and is an important reason I started using Evernote. I'm screwed, right?

You're OK for now.. There is a local sql database and attachment folder BUT if you have limited bandwidth , it is going to download EVERYTHING to get fully synced up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

And what happens to all my saved and exported exb files?  I would create an exb of projects and keep them archived, then re-import when I needed them. Would I have to re-import all exb files before upgrading?  (not that I am going to be upgrading...)

edit: sorry, I meant enex files

Edited by lisec
update
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

You're OK for now.. There is a local sql database and attachment folder BUT if you have limited bandwidth , it is going to download EVERYTHING to get fully synced up.

But, can we restore from that local database copy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

But, can we restore from that local database copy?

Definitely not - all the attachments are kept separately in individual files from what I've seen playing around in the folder structure this morning . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Definitely not - all the attachments are kept separately in individual files from what I've seen playing around in the folder structure this morning . 

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  So, we are "not" good.  We will be limited to the server copies and any history it has for backups and will no longer be able to make our own backups.  Well, sh&t ...

Or, and I thought of this after posting, we probably can still use enex files for backup and restore.  For my usage, a little more work since my preference was to just backup the exb file as part of my system backup solution.  

Edited by s2sailor
Added other comments.
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, lisec said:

And what happens to all my saved and exported exb files?  I would create an exb of projects and keep them archived, then re-import when I needed them. Would I have to re-import all enex files before upgrading?

IF the import feature is still supported, I don't see any change to your situation
No - you don't have to re-import all enex files before upgrading

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  So, we are "not" good.  We will be limited to the server copies and any history it has for backups and will no longer be able to make our own backups.  Well, sh&t ...

This is bad.  I use Evernote on more than one Windows computer. I usually copy my most recent exb file to the other computer before doing a sync when I haven't used it in a while. Now it looks like I will have to download *everything* on each computer (three!) with terrible speeds... It could take more than a week to get them all at their baseline, and then to download again just to keep up. If I wanted cloud-only storage I would have gotten cloud-only storage!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, lisec said:

This is bad.  I use Evernote on more than one Windows computer. I usually copy my most recent exb file to the other computer before doing a sync when I haven't used it in a while. Now it looks like I will have to download *everything* on each computer (three!) with terrible speeds... It could take more than a week to get them all at their baseline, and then to download again just to keep up. If I wanted cloud-only storage I would have gotten cloud-only storage!

Yes, that was how I updated new PCs too.  Only having to deal with the exb file was nice.  I would hope that Evernote does not remove enex export and import, so we hopefully will still have that option, but I think you have to do that notebook by notebook otherwise you will lose the notebook information.  A tedious process if you have many notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, lisec said:

not that I am going to be upgrading...

I am waiting for the new version issues to be resolved before I make any decision
In the meantime, the legacy version continues to work well for me

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Only having to deal with the exb file was nice.

I migrated to several PCs with my growing (now 25GB+) database.  I saw somewhere (brain hurts - can't give you a link...) that backups will still be available in v10 by exporting/ downloading each notebook into an ENEX file. 

There is a utility (Backupery) that would extract those automatically from an EXB file,  but they're in the same state as us users at the moment - Evernote currently doesn't support that sort of excess access* - so they're looking at API backups online.  Maybe.  

EDIT:  Told you my brain hurts... 😏

• Like 2

Today my system told me my C drive capacity is low...after installing V10 in 2 days????!!!

My system drive has 120GB and it had about 25-30GB free space yesterday.

I used to save my EN database on the other drive. Now the database took up all my already-too-small system drive space.

I found NO WAY to change database location setting in the preference...

I thought modifying timestamp would be the only issue and it will come anytime soon in the later release.

Now I am sad...and mad at evernote because it wastes my two good days (weekend).

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If I am not mistaken, there is an option to keep part or all of the data on the server. Just on my iPad now, so no chance to look it up.

Not I could find on this V10 for windows

• Level 5*

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

I hope Francesco D'Alessio is aware. There are a lot of die-hard users (me included) who can't believe what Evernote have done here.

Notion - I thought it did have offline @MarcSant? But currently no hidden OCR index behind images

OneNote - no ootb tags which makes searching harder for me. It has OCR though

Roam - ain't cheap...

Airtable - more structured information rather than freeform writing?

Awful for me to be talking about moving off Evernote after 12 years, but this release is forcing my hand.

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, avevers said:

Notion - I thought it did have offline @MarcSant? But currently no hidden OCR index behind images

No OCR, weak privacy, no global search inside the tables.

38 minutes ago, avevers said:

Airtable - more structured information rather than freeform writing?

Great tables but haven't full support all other languages than English.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

Holy s**t

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, gazumped said:

We have the same problem on Macs; double storage
It would have been so nice if a common database could be shared, however that's not realistic
I look forward to learning about the new and improved database format   
Pre v10
- Windows have everything crammed into a single .exb database file    
- Macs have a small database for metadata, and separate folders for each note's content   
v10     
?

• Like 1

I am also looking to migrate to Notion.  For offline, this is what is available now.  Hopefully, a better offline solution is provided soon.

No OCR now, but it is on the roadmap.  I can live with it.  And probably explore other add-on option.

What are important but lacking in Notion are: Tags and Web Clipper.

The Tags are local to the Page or Database.  There is a Global Tags Database workaround which I am still exploring and testing.  

The Web Clipper is really not as good as Evernote.  Need to find a solution to this before I switch.

30 minutes ago, imagemaster said:

No OCR, weak privacy, no global search inside the tables.

Great tables but haven't full support all other languages than English.

Notion is nothing like as mature as Evernote (6, not 10), then... I use Notion as a CRM but not looked into using it as a viable Evernote replacement. Might still be the closest alternative we currently have, and they seem more open about their planned roadmap.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, avevers said:

There's also Standard Notes (https://standardnotes.org/), which heavily uses on markdown. Looks interesting.

Thanks.  This looks closer to Evernote.  Will explore.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bradsayers said:

absurd is the word for this. Creating a new note on the fly, regardless of what app I'm in is essential. How could Evernote not get this? In fact, I have most of my mouse buttons configured to do something in Evernote. One mouse button is configured to do a search in Evernote which is great because regardless of the program I'm in, I can quickly open up Evernote, and see the cursor flashing in the search field. 

I agree. Fast note creation (with keyboard shortcuts) is something I do in Evernote at least a dozen times a day. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Maybe ODS is on the V10 road map?   ;) 

Seriously though I wonder where the search is executed if you have a fully downloaded DB and are online?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, CalS said:

Seriously though I wonder where the search is executed if you have a fully downloaded DB and are online?

With IOS, the search is executed at the server when online (edit pre v10)
The downloaded DB is ignored.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

With IOS, the search is executed at the server when online
The downloaded DB is ignored.

Yeah, know that in the old world order, just wondering about the new world order.

EDIT:  Unless you mean new world order IOS

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, know that in the old world order, just wondering about the new world order.

EDIT:  Unless you mean new world order IOS

I edited my post to specify pre V10 (old world order)   
I'll test in v10; just having trouble with the full download DB part

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, lisec said:

BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features.

We are seeing currently on Evn side following things: no integrity, lack of proper management, and poor engineering standards. No communication. No proper Quality Assurance.

Therefore, I afraid, that their 2-years foundation may be pretty weak and unstable. Building on that may be just as bad as building a house on swamps/quicksand...

EvN may be simply a sinking ship. An example of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

On 10/11/2020 at 7:43 PM, toao said:

no, you are note alone...what are you planning to migrate to?

I'm exploring Notion, but some of the features I love about Evernote are missing from Notion:

Notion doesn't let you create a note from the notification bar in Android (creating notes quickly is important to me)
No OCR
No location tagging of notes created on an Android phone
Notion's create a new note keyboard shortcut in Windows (control-N) conflicts with Google Chrome
Notion doesn't have an "all notes" view
The Android app doesn't have the ability to create photo notes (though you can share a photo with Notion and add it that way) 

I'm going to continue to use the legacy version of Evernote for awhile. It works fine and I hope that over the next few weeks, Evernote 10 will become more like Evernote 6. 

I've been an Evernote Premium user since 2008.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, lisec said:

I'm as pissed as everyone else, and really angry at Evernote for putting out this version without FULL details (surely they must have expected this blow-back), BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features. So I'll hang on the older version and give them a bit of time to do their work. Yes, the screwed up big time with this, but it really was just an error of releasing too early. At least that's what I hope.

I sort of feel the same--though I can't actually try out the new version until I upgrade to a Windows 10 system in a month or so. By then, some of the desired functionality may be starting to trickle back in. I also use Scrivener. They are a much, much smaller company, with only a couple of programmers, and they have had a new Windows program in beta for a couple of years, not wanting to release a finalized version until it's really ready. A lot of users are really aggravated, though the beta does seem to work reliably.

So, the Goldilocks syndrome: this software released too early, it's all borked and feature-free, I'm going elsewhere; this software took too long to be finalized, I'm out of patience, I'm going elsewhere; this software released right on time and was absolutely perfect, I'm hallucinating. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 10/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, MarcSant said:

Please, if you noted some another missing feature, feel free to contribute to this list.

- Lack of bunch of useful keyboard shortcuts such as F6 putting you in the search box, F2 putting you the note title

- Not being able to select more than 50 notes at a time

- CTRL + D to change the font, size, color etc. I guess part of the keyboard shortcuts above, but I use it so much that I have to type it. :) 

- If I pulled a note from the shortcut menu, the card view goes away and the note takes up more space which is fine but now my CTRL + 2 for example does not take me to the shortcut item. 

8 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I'm exploring Notion

I am exploring Nimbus and I must say it is really awesome so far. I am missing the card view and being able to store and Excel file in the app that you can launch does not seem to work for Nimbus. But everything else, they are hitting what I wanted from Evernote.

• Like 1

It's really useful to learn of these alternatives. Sometimes the smaller players can still deliver the biggest value.

Keep 'em coming - I want to be ready for the Evernopocalpyse if it is indeed coming.

It is missing the "Top List" view option - which is necessary for how I use Evernote.   I had to find an old downloaded version and reinstall that one...

• Like 4
On 10/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, MarcSant said:

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

This. I don't know what they were thinking - my notes are MESSY to look at at this point. As well as the lack of colors to choose from. So we got four new highlighter colors (which could already be accessed by a work-around copy-paste thing in previous versions) and got pretty much all creative user input deleted for what? Streamlining? The entire update feels like a GIANT step back compared to the previous version, I am very disappointed :(

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dsm42 said:

It is missing the "Top List" view option - which is necessary for how I use Evernote.   I had to find an old downloaded version and reinstall that one...

Essential to me too. What a disastrous release.

2 hours ago, mi_cha said:

I`ve just found Nimbus Notes today and I'll give a try. Notion and OneNote do not seem substitutes to me.

My first 5 minutes testing Nimbus Desktop client for Windows. Unsystematic impressions:

pros:

1. offline access (offline database synced to server NOT local notebooks as EN 6.x)
  2. sync button and status info available (peace of mind to me)
  3. folders show note count number
  4. color tags available for folders and notes
  5. web clipper for Chrome works fine

cons:

1. the Windows desktop client is written in Electron, just like the new EN 10. So, it feels like a web app, VERY little  customization (no status bar, no toolbar for shortcuts i.e.!!)
  2. unable to open more than one note in different windows simultaneously
  3. title is incorporated to the note text, as a header - so it disappears as the user scrolls the text down, just like EN 10
  4. internal links work, but they look like a https:// path, followed by a long alphanumeric sequence (you have to click to know what note it refers to]
  5. a bullet list is automatically created if the line starts with a symbol (no way to disable it, annoying)
  6. few fonts (default | serif | handwritten | mono) and sizes (S - M  - L), just like EN 10
  7. detailed note list view is not available (in fact, there is only one list view mode, which can be sorted by "title", "created date" and "update")

In short, as far as I could see, Nimbus is no substitute for EN 6.25, but it might be a similiar competitor to EN 10, if it remains as it is.

In this case, I will be forced to adjust to a new note-taking concept, with way less functions.

For now: working with EN 6.25 and watching how EN 10 evolves (hope EN come to its senses!!).

• Like 2
On 10/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, DMiddleton said:

Regarding the sync, on my machines ON stores the notebooks in full in the OneDrive folder so I can access them fully offline, as opposed to other files that are 'available on demand' in OneDrive.

You're right, my mistake: ON notebooks can be stored offline.

Another missing feature for me: the tabs on the right (pages) are not automatically sorted (by title, date created, date modified, whatever), so, it is really hard to manage more than 50 pages.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mi_cha said:

You're right, my mistake: ON notebooks can be stored offline.

The old OneNote used to save the file locally, and I think perhaps the stand-alone app does as well, but I remember getting an email about 2-3 years ago where they said OneNote was now online only. I know there was some distinction between stand-alone and the new OneNote.

7 hours ago, JaneneF said:

This - - I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack. -- alone is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Other things:

Also, I can print multiple notes at one time or at least I can't figure out how to do it.

I can't sort or filter by notebook.

The new search and filter takes some getting used to. The key is to select the notebook before you start doing anything. If you then search you will have an option (it's very faint) below the search bar to filter in the notebook you have slected so need to click add filter there

image.png.ff817c7365b1f0b46dcf86a5f92f8f29.png

For filtering, again if you start in a notebook it will filter the notes in that notebook.

There are all sorts of things you simply cannot do easily - the main ones that annoy me being:

• Can't save a filter only a search even if the net results are identical.
  • Can't select "any" like you can in the legacy version.

The advanced search syntax does work which is something

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, avevers said:

Also - table of contents gone? (I wouldn't know- I moved back to 6.5 in no time)

There is an (in my opinion better) alternative to the TOC but I don't think it is obvious. Once you have selected the notes you need to select "copy internal links" either by right clicking a selected note or from the three dots in the blue multi-select menu. You can then paste those links into a new note. If you hit the numbered list icon first and then paste them in you will get a numbered list. The reasons I like it more than the existing system is:

• You can reorder the numbered list by dragging and dropping
  • You can add the list to an existing note - I have alot of dashboard notes which are my constantly evolving gateway into a particular topic
8 hours ago, Mike P said:

The advanced search syntax does work which is something

What does the advanced search syntax consist of? I mean how does it differ?

The advanced syntax are all those wonderful tricks for searching for exactly what you want. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax 

The new search/filter process makes some of these less needed because of the built in ability to search/filter for things like notes containing pdfs. This is provided you have remembered to build up your search in the notebook -> filter -> text order I described.

16 hours ago, mi_cha said:

My first 5 minutes testing Nimbus Desktop client for Windows. Unsystematic impressions:

pros:

1. offline access (offline database synced to server NOT local notebooks as EN 6.x)
  2. sync button and status info available (peace of mind to me)
  3. folders show note count number
  4. color tags available for folders and notes
  5. web clipper for Chrome works fine

cons:

1. the Windows desktop client is written in Electron, just like the new EN 10. So, it feels like a web app, VERY little  customization (no status bar, no toolbar for shortcuts i.e.!!)
  2. unable to open more than one note in different windows simultaneously
  3. title is incorporated to the note text, as a header - so it disappears as the user scrolls the text down, just like EN 10
  4. internal links work, but they look like a https:// path, followed by a long alphanumeric sequence (you have to click to know what note it refers to]
  5. a bullet list is automatically created if the line starts with a symbol (no way to disable it, annoying)
  6. few fonts (default | serif | handwritten | mono) and sizes (S - M  - L), just like EN 10
  7. detailed note list view is not available (in fact, there is only one list view mode, which can be sorted by "title", "created date" and "update")

In short, as far as I could see, Nimbus is no substitute for EN 6.25, but it might be a similiar competitor to EN 10, if it remains as it is.

In this case, I will be forced to adjust to a new note-taking concept, with way less functions.

For now: working with EN 6.25 and watching how EN 10 evolves (hope EN come to its senses!!).

well my issue with nimbus is that they neither seem to have local notebooks nor zero knowledge encryption, i.e. they can read your notes...otherwise it would have been great, but this is a show stopper for me...

1 minute ago, Mike P said:

The advanced syntax are all those wonderful tricks for searching for exactly what you want. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax 

The new search/filter process makes some of these less needed because of the built in ability to search/filter for things like notes containing pdfs. This is provided you have remembered to build up your search in the notebook -> filter -> text order I described.

Thanks. That's for the legacy version. So I guess there are no new search features, like boolean or anything like that, aside from their new ability to "filter".

21 minutes ago, lisec said:

That's for the legacy version. So I guess there are no new search features, like boolean or anything like that, aside from their new ability to "filter".

It was promised in the EN YouTube video about the new search that the old search syntax would continue to work - and it does. I agree that Boolean search is an obvious omission in EN. I did read something from ages ago that stated that the multitude of different EN versions made Boolean search difficult to implement. Perhaps with a common code base and searches largely taking place on the server, Boolean search is something that we will see in the future. 

Meanwhile, although the search has a few problems and you have to approach it in a certain way that seems logical to the developers, I generally like it and will be easier for most users while retaining the things that power users need. It has also improved massively since the early beta versions when I was creating posts with names like "The current search/filter set up is ridiculous"

Evernote just forced an update onto my system yesterday.

My initial  reaction is that the  MS Windows App version has been dumbed down to the web / phone version.

The single most important thing missing is that the ability to simply email a Note to someone seems to be gone .    And worse, if  you go to Share and click to get a copy of  a link, the person you send that to can't access the note to see it.   Says no access available even though they are in the shared list on the Notebook and Note.    This one change is big enough to me that I'm going shopping.  Just not acceptable to remove a core feature like emailing Notes with no warning.

10 hours ago, toao said:

well my issue with nimbus is that they neither seem to have local notebooks nor zero knowledge encryption, i.e. they can read your notes...otherwise it would have been great, but this is a show stopper for me...

no local notebooks,  but with offline access.  for encryption, evernote also does not have encryption (or very bare selected text encryption)

4 hours ago, TonyLim said:

no local notebooks,  but with offline access.  for encryption, evernote also does not have encryption (or very bare selected text encryption)

agreed, but prior to "Evernote Light" aka V10 Evernote at least had the local notebooks, which was my workaround for sensitive data. e2e encryption would be even better, but outside of joplin and devonthink (mac) few solutions seem to offer that....

On 10/11/2020 at 6:54 AM, MarcSant said:

Notion, is another great alternative, but, there is no offline storage. But, looking great with a tons of features that I asked among the years and have them today. It also have an import tool than can import everything that you have just in one click. 

This is program that I'm testing right now, until Evernote Legacy is supported. 

This is what I'm spending my time researching a mission. The functionality with Notion is amazing, but the search function in Evernote is second to none. It is going to be hard to migrate as I've been using Evernote since 2007 and have over 20K notes currently.

Yes, Notion seems to have lots of functionality that Evernote does not have (some we have been asking for).  Besides local notebooks (or encryption), the major feature I need is the global tagging.  Although there is an alternate solution provided in Notion, but it is not truly global.

The next one is Nimbus notes, with global tagging (yet to test out).   But no local notebooks (or encryption).

Joplin could be another choice, with end-to-end encryption.  Open source.

I got another answer from Tech Support:

"

Jeffrey B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 13, 2020, 19:41 PDT

Hello Marcelo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your frustration regarding these missing features. We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. We are here to help.

Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative

Marcelo Santos

Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 PDT

“You can still use the Legacy version of Evernote in the future. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.”

How I can use the newest version since it lack’s core features that I use as daily basis?

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark.

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them.

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack

The newest version have this features? If yes, please show me. If not, I stick with legacy version until my migration plan is in course. After that, I will cease to use Evernote and hope you all good luck with this sinking ship.

Att,

-----

Marcelo Santos"

So, honestly, I give up. I don't know all you, but this time is enough for me.

Global system shortcuts and folder import are THE Core features  for me.

Right now I'm Searching where I can download the old version of the app.

UX changes may be good or bad time will tell but sth such basic for me like shortcuts ... hell no... i'm going back

On 10/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, avevers said:

It's really useful to learn of these alternatives. Sometimes the smaller players can still deliver the biggest value.

Keep 'em coming - I want to be ready for the Evernopocalpyse if it is indeed coming.

What about Joplin?

Seems the best alternative for EverNote.

6 hours ago, TonyLim said:

Yes, Notion seems to have lots of functionality that Evernote does not have (some we have been asking for).  Besides local notebooks (or encryption), the major feature I need is the global tagging.  Although there is an alternate solution provided in Notion, but it is not truly global.

The next one is Nimbus notes, with global tagging (yet to test out).   But no local notebooks (or encryption).

Joplin could be another choice, with end-to-end encryption.  Open source.

I just started exploring Joplin. Thanks.

Compared with OneNote and Notion, Joplin is a lot less complex, easier to use, and more like Evernote. I also like that the Android app was updated just a few days ago, always a good sign. 

I'm still hopeful that Evernote 10 will be as feature rich as Evernote 6. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for this topic.

First I was too upset because of this ***** version and thought "may be I am becoming too old for fast changing life" )))

Really, very disappointing upgrade. Had to downgrade to the old version.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, TK0047 said:

- Not being able to select more than 50 notes at a time

It may be useful for those who wish, to know that the limit of selecting 50 notes can be  changed to, as I recall ,1,000 notes by editing

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\config.json

amend the line which reads

"multiSelectionLimit": 50,

I would agree with the inevitable clamour which will say that this shouldn't be necessary. Perhaps it won't be when the promised ability to change 'Options' arrives. It is a workaround for those that want to try it out.

1 hour ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I just started exploring Joplin. Thanks.

How do you find Joplin as an alternative to EN? I found the use of Markdown to be a significant hindrance for me.

5 hours ago, MarcSant said:

I got another answer from Tech Support:

"

Jeffrey B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 13, 2020, 19:41 PDT

Hello Marcelo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your frustration regarding these missing features. We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. We are here to help.

Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative

Marcelo Santos

Oct 13, 2020, 4:47 PDT

“You can still use the Legacy version of Evernote in the future. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.”

How I can use the newest version since it lack’s core features that I use as daily basis?

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark.

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them.

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack

The newest version have this features? If yes, please show me. If not, I stick with legacy version until my migration plan is in course. After that, I will cease to use Evernote and hope you all good luck with this sinking ship.

Att,

-----

Marcelo Santos"

So, honestly, I give up. I don't know all you, but this time is enough for me.

That's just a dreadful, copy-paste, soulless response. And it does them no favours.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, agsteele said:

How do you find Joplin as an alternative to EN? I found the use of Markdown to be a significant hindrance for me.

I've only been using Joplin for about thirty minutes, so my exploration is still in the early stages. 

I'm not a fan of markdown either. You can turn markdown off and use the WYSIWYG editor, which is more like Evernote. But when you turn Joplin's markdown editor off, you see this warning: "This is an experimental WYSIWYG editor for evaluation only. Please do not use with important notes as you may lose some data! See the introduction post for more information. TO SWITCH TO THE MARKDOWN EDITOR PLEASE PRESS "Code View"."

Joplin has many features I need, but, unlike the Android version of Evernote, Joplin doesn't give you the ability to add a note from the notification bar. 

47 minutes ago, agsteele said:

There's one drawback I've noticed with Joplin. All the data is stored on your local device, be it a PC or phone. 

If you have a large notes database it's going to take up a large amount of storage. 

I was hoping to try Joplin on my Chromebook, but my data file is over 14 GB, which eats into my Chromebook's storage. 

On 10/12/2020 at 2:25 PM, lisec said:

an old app called MindManager

Hey, I know that one! I worked there (2012/2013) before moving to Evernote. ("moving" == "laid off")

• Like 2
On 10/7/2020 at 9:45 AM, HeBoIz said:

Anybody any clue what is meant with listing "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software" as no longer supported feature?

a) former seperate / special "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software"
or
b) general "ScanSnap software" (meanwhile updated and replacing the former Evernote Edition)

The special EN version of ScanSnap was "killed" off a while ago. Fujitsu was provided the steps to upgrade from the EN version to iX500 version (http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/evernote/index.html) I haven't done that yet... But I just use mine as a scanner, not connected to EN. (Got mine when EN closed down the store - EN offered employees a can't-pass-it-up discount) (plus, I think mine is dying - when scanning double-sided, I get a massive vertical black bar - cleaning did nothing)

1 hour ago, dcon said:

Hey, I know that one! I worked there (2012/2013) before moving to Evernote. ("moving" == "laid off")

Now that is cool!  I still have the program and last year I ran it in combability mode and it worked!  Man I loved that program. 

• Level 5
7 hours ago, avevers said:

That's just a dreadful, copy-paste, soulless response. And it does them no favours.

If you ever worked customer support, you would know that in times like this you better do not put too much soul into responses.

You would run out of soulfulness before your lunch break. Better grab your little book of rules, try to understand what this customer wants or needs, be happy about those you can help, and send some nicely phrased blocks of text to all the others.

If you read Marcelo Santos support ticket yourself, what would you have answered ?

• Like 1

It's weird being so (constructively) critical and so heavily discussing EN alternatives on EN's own forum, but I fear the quality of conversation over on Facebook. This disaster (yeah, that's what it is to me - 12+ years with a massive, varied range of content ploughed into this product) has to be examined somewhere.

This issue is simply too significant to ignore or stay silent on. I'm a many-a-year read-only lurker on the forums but not now, not with this!

With a growing acceptance of the legacy (as they describe it) 6.5 being phased out in the "future", the time to be looking for alternatives is, unfortunately, now. Wow. I hoped I'd never have to jump ship.

I remember clear as day Phil Libin saying on those podcasts years ago (remember those?) "we're a 100 year company". And "the data is yours. We don't lock it down. If you want to take it elsewhere you can." I felt reassured at the time, knowing how much I relied on it. Knowing what a pain in the arse it was, moving thousands of notes over from Lotus Notes, hoping I'd never have to do that again.This release has shattered that reassurance. Users new to EN might know no different, but this is like a new version 1. Just getting started.

So, so far, with my limited time, Nimbus is doing it for me. It has a feel of Notion about it, but seems a little more... mature. It seems to be a competitor to Notion more than EN, but there's a blurring of the lines in modern note taking apps.

I'd love some reassurance about Nimbus - how new they are, roadmaps, vision for the future etc., but they're ticking some boxes right now:

- Sync

- Android app

- Better Android editor than EN

- Global tags

- (lovely) dynamic table of contents within the note

Tons more to research. Not tried the desktop yet (Windows 10). I suspect search is inferior to EN6.5. And, on Android at least, markdown only (little font support).

I've yet to check out Obsidian. I may never need to from what I'm seeing with Nimbus.

Maybe we could ask, nicely, if the EN forum admins could create a new forum here called "Evernote Alternatives"...

Semi-rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've worked customer support (IT support) and I made a point of never copy pasting responses. But you're right - soul can sometimes be misinterpreted for sarcasm and that would help no-one.

And in fairness they're probably rather busy with such complaints right now. I too would have struggled to offer much help, given this disastrous launch.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote has allowed this long thread to exist.  Maybe these Evernote alternatives comments would be better collected there?

On one hand, it seems a little disrespectful to me to use Evernote's forums to discuss alternatives.  On the other hand, it benefits Evernote to understand why some are leaving and to which apps they are moving to.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

There's one drawback I've noticed with Joplin. All the data is stored on your local device, be it a PC or phone. 

If you have a large notes database it's going to take up a large amount of storage. 

I was hoping to try Joplin on my Chromebook, but my data file is over 14 GB, which eats into my Chromebook's storage. 

@Coffee First Thing - Nimbus has selective synchronisation - note titles only or full content. This may help with your Chromebook but I've no idea how well Nimbus works with Chrome. (Although I suspect it will work very well!) I'm just starting looking into EN alternatives.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

On one hand, it seems a little disrespectful to me to use Evernote's forums to discuss alternatives.  On the other hand, it benefits Evernote to understand why some are leaving and to which apps they are moving to.

1. EverNote management disrespected us first by don't listening to feedback and providing unbaked versions.

2. They probably quietly and unofficially support migration of advanced users. It looks like EvN blesses users who are meek and don't complain: for they shall inherit the EvN v. 10. 😉

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

1. EverNote management disrespected us first by don't listening to feedback and providing unbaked versions.

Disrespectful is one word that comes to mind, but I have others I can add ... 

• Like 3

I want to add to the list the one feature I often used that I cant find or I didn't find in the New Evernote update 10.

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

I don't know why the dev push the seem very not complete update to the user . 

18 minutes ago, naturale said:

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

All you have to do is click the add filter next to the notebook name. You can then search as normal but just within the notebook you are in.

image.png.8e571e05ccd18b5916709e69285664f4.png

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Mike P said:

All you have to do is click the add filter next to the notebook name. You can then search as normal but just within the notebook you are in.

image.png.8e571e05ccd18b5916709e69285664f4.png

Thanks for the explanation. I have tried that but I found out that when I use filter the view that in the notebook I set to 'list' view , became 'Snippet' view for the result view and I cant change that search result to 'list' view  

That's odd. I can't replicate that. When I started with list view I ended up with list view. There are some issues about whether EN is remembering the preferred view so I don't know whether that is the problem.

image.png.d565ebc7d44a5ba07ec0e3bc6e26f7f1.png

• Like 1

Joplin

Does it update online, like Evernote, so that I can have a note on several devices, that is constantly updated to the latest version?

Thanks

On 11/10/2020 at 0:48, Kolmir dijo:

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

.Do you really think you can replace Evernote with OneNote?  It has nothing to do with it.

• Level 5*

The customer support staff (Jeffrey) are people too, and I don’t think we should be demonizing them for doing their job. The same is true for the developers. This is their livelihood, and I’m sure they are doing their best to develop a quality product, so threatening legal action or trying to organize a mass cancelation of subscriptions (their income) is quite unfair. 

I think we ought to voice our opinions (I have in many places in this forum), even (especially?) if they are at odds with Evernote’s, but we should try our best to do it in a mutually respectful manner. This is an app we all care about, right? We want to see it succeed and be better.

I agree that there are problems eith the current release (enumerated elsewhere), but I think arguing the merits of our position is a better strategy than threats to leave or using the *Evernote* forums to promote alternatives.

Let’s try and keep it positive, and give Evernote something they can work with :)

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

The customer support staff (Jeffrey) are people too, and I don’t think we should be demonizing them for doing their job. The same is true for the developers. This is their livelihood, and I’m sure they are doing their best to develop a quality product, so threatening legal action or trying to organize a mass cancelation of subscriptions (their income) is quite unfair. 

I think we ought to voice our opinions (I have in many places in this forum), even (especially?) if they are at odds with Evernote’s, but we should try our best to do it in a mutually respectful manner. This is an app we all care about, right? We want to see it succeed and be better.

I agree that there are problems eith the current release (enumerated elsewhere), but I think arguing the merits of our position is a better strategy than threats to leave or using the *Evernote* forums to promote alternatives.

Let’s try and keep it positive, and give Evernote something they can work with :)

Totally agree 100%. Far too much aggressive language flying around. Some folks need to keep it civil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, t8769 said:

There is nothing aggressive or wrong about talking about leaving or discussing alternatives. 
I have not seen any demonization, or any uncivil language, certainly not on this page. 

Most people here are polite, helpful and genuine. 

Talking about a leaving is not a 'strategy' it is a genuine conversation.

They have made good suggestions, and I have seen no personal attacks. 
If someone has used has behaved badly, they are certainly the exception. I have not seen this.

There is nothing wrong with honest discussion, and it should be encouraged, not called 'negative'.

Of course not. Most people are very helpful and genuine. I agree.

But I have seen phrases like "Cowardly developers", "Idiot CEO", "2nd grade developers" and quite a few starred out words plus other insults.

Nothing wrong about talking about leaving... nothing wrong with being disappointed about a feature missing but some of the rhetoric I've seen should really be left on Reddit 😉

• Like 1