marcelo

Control Which Image Shown in a Note's Thumbnail/Snippet View

Idea

EVERNOTE WHY ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!!

YOU HAVE COMPLETELY IGNORED OUR REQUESTS TO SELF-DETERMINE OUR THUMBNAIL PICTURE!

• Like 2

Seems like such a simple feature to implement, yet I am shocked at reading this thread that's it's been a few years and still no word on if they're even working on this?! Some feedback would be appreciated, at least let us know it will never happen, or maybe in five years, or we are currently working on this?  At this point, it seems this forum is being completely ignored.

I'm new.  Can someone please explain why I can't see the 'work around' jbenson2 mentioned?  I am a 'Plus' member... I thought that meant I could get 'help'.  The error message states:  Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it. 

On 3/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, rdebell324 said:

I'm new.  Can someone please explain why I can't see the 'work around' jbenson2 mentioned?  I am a 'Plus' member... I thought that meant I could get 'help'.  The error message states:  Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it. 

I can't see it either, and I don't think subscription status has anything to do with what you can see on the forums.  There was some forum reorganization a few weeks back, perhaps the linked post was deleted or moved to the archives?  Perhaps @jbenson2 can repost the link.

On 2018-03-11 at 3:50 PM, rdebell324 said:

Darn,   I can't read the "largest smallest" explanation anymore.

Here's an alternate post

On 9/21/2016 at 5:20 AM, GaRK2 said:

Have users been granted control over which image is displayed as a thumbnail in the snippet note list view?

This would be MUCH appreciated (This has been a request by many of us paying Evernote users for a LONG time!)

Thanks for your consideration.

NO... Evernote is TOOOOO LAZY and just happy to TAKE OUR MONEY (I'm a paying user).... That's why they created this 'forum' - to get sincere and innovative customers off their back, so they can steadily rake in the money. PERIOD.

21 hours ago, CalS said:

I can't see it either, and I don't think subscription status has anything to do with what you can see on the forums.  There was some forum reorganization a few weeks back, perhaps the linked post was deleted or moved to the archives?  Perhaps @jbenson2 can repost the link.

I can't see it either. 

I would not consider this to be a workaround. It is too clunky, but here is what I saved in my Evernote account several years ago:

There is no easy solution if you have several photos in one note. I guess if someone really wanted to promote a specific image, they could use a photo editor to re-size the photo to create the "largest smallest dimension".
That's too much work for me.  (comment: biggest smallest )

Dec 6, 2011
Evernote's explanation:
We select the image with the largest smallest dimension. There are some other rules, but that's the main one.

Examples:
75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively. We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.

• Like 1

I'd like to add my voice to the request for the ability to select the thumbnail image shown in any note. 

Wow, this is remarkably frustrating.  DOES IT REALLY TAKE MORE THAN 5 YEARS TO LISTEN TO YOUR USERS?

Let us select which picture to show in snippet view!  How hard can that be?  This is idiotic.

Em 09/01/2015 at 09:48, Frank.dg disse:

Hi @RightPaddock,

Yes and no. It has to do with the "largest smallest" dimension, explained here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18482-choosing-a-thumbnail/

Yes... if you modify your images according to the above criteria. No... if you don't have the inclination to tinker with image resizing and trying to wrap your brain around meeting the requirements of the "largest smallest" dimension every time you want to select one image to be the image displayed in snippet/ card view from multiple images that come from multiple sources. 

Take clipping web pages with multiple images, for example. Imagine trying to set a thumbnail image for each, other than the one which already matches the "largest smallest" dimension criteria. However, if this is critical to you, and in certain use cases you can establish a simple workflow that is repeatable and takes the above into account, then the "largest smallest" dimension is your guiding light. That is, until  Evernote provides a way to manually select the desired image. Who know, it may be just around the corner :-)

The explanation discussion was removed. Anyone has a copy? 

33 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

The explanation discussion was removed. Anyone has a copy? 

I can't find the original, but this post is from an Evernote employee: 

I saved a few of the laughable posts about the largest smallest dimensions from 7 years ago. Here is one.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:42 AM
jbenson2 said:
The largest smallest dimension?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Evernote Response:
Yeah.  For example, if you have 3 images with the following dimensions:

75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively.  We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.

Frankly, I think it's rather pathetic that Evernote has failed to provide this simple capability in 7+ years. 

• Like 1

Evernote does not permit me to view some of my past posts, but I saved some off-line in January 2012.

Here is a comment on the 75-pixel barrier used with the Largest Smallest discusion.

Evernote User:
Subject: Evernote User Forum 75 pixels is the smalled dimension allowed in a thumbnail

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

My comment:
I was able to duplicate the 75-pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes - the image showed up
134 x 74 pixels - no - the image did not show up

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75-pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the " largest smallest" dimension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparkWerx said:

Frankly, I think it's rather pathetic that Evernote has failed to provide this simple capability in 7+ years. 

I'm not sure I would say pathetic but it is definitely puzzling.  The algorithm is ok for picking a default image but they really should provide us a way to define a new one if needed.  I use snippet view and many of the images selected do not match up to anything meaningful in the note.

• Like 1

2 horas atrás, jbenson2 disse:

Evernote does not permit me to view some of my past posts, but I saved some off-line in January 2012.

Here is a comment on the 75-pixel barrier used with the Largest Smallest discusion.

Evernote User:
Subject: Evernote User Forum 75 pixels is the smalled dimension allowed in a thumbnail

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

My comment:
I was able to duplicate the 75-pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes - the image showed up
134 x 74 pixels - no - the image did not show up

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75-pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the " largest smallest" dimension.

Thanks!

+1 on this idea!

4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

This is a popular idea... 4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

4 hours ago, ctash said:

4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

Only four? You're gonna have to get in line behind such requests as nested notebooks, selective sync, Evernote for Linux, etc., etc....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctash said:

This is a popular idea... 4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

There's no need to repeat posts all over the forum. But do feel free to add your vote to any feature request you agree with. It's up at the top, top triangle to vote up...

Stilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  waitinggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Please, dear folks at Evernote:

On 2/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, SashaS said:

Right click on image >> Set as thumbnail image.

This one cannot be overly complicated. And everybody here is waiting for years now to be able to chose their own snippet/thumbnail picture.

• Like 1

I have been trying to figure Evernote our for several  years and it has been driving me nuts. I’m so glad that others are having the same problem. I made a family shared recipe folder and I just want to be able to pick my thumbnail, some of my recipes are scanned from old recipe cards and often Evernote wants to use the scanned recipe card as the thumbnail instead of the photo of the food. Is there a way to fix this?

13 hours ago, Steve Kowalski said:

Is there a way to fix this?

There is no way to choose which image is used, in any of the Evernote clients, at least at this time.

The only way is to have exactly one image in your note (which "wins" by default), or make sure that the image you want 

You can also try to arrange that your preferred image meets the "largest-smallest" criterion, described here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25981-request-ability-to-select-image-to-display-in-card-view/#comment-388976. Tedious, I know...

Hi everyone

Shocking to realise that this possibility doesnt exist!

I am a new user and have been looking for the best tool to build my recipe collection with. I thought Evernote was it.

I have been looking for specifically a tool that would alow me a visual overlook of favorite recipees in different cateories. Thumbnails is so nice and easy to scan when you are lkooking for inspiration in your own archives.

Can anyone recommend an alternative service where this is possible?

Interesting that all replies to my suggestion to drop Evernote seem to have been deleted.  If people  begin to cancel their subscriptions, I'm pretty sure Evernote will get the clue that they seem to have missed over the last half decade.

1 minute ago, ptim said:

can't even remove a thumbnail when by deleting all images from a note :( 

Create a  new note.

Just stumbled across this Evernote 'bug' today... seems madness I can't select which image will be used as the thumbnail. I did have a neatly organised set of notes with photo thumbnails, now after adding some additional images to the notes the thumbnails are all screwed up. Some now have useless thumbnails - screenshots and text images etc.

Sort it out please evernote.

I cancelled my Evernote account partly due to this issue. Impossible to believe that an app whose sole purpose is to organize notes would drop the ball on such an obviously basic feature.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Futureman said:

I cancelled my Evernote account

Please share information on your alternative solution for storing/organizing your data.

46 minutes ago, Futureman said:

I cancelled my Evernote account partly due to this issue. Impossible to believe that an app whose sole purpose is to organize notes would drop the ball on such an obviously basic feature.

I would like to select my images too but cancelling over this seems a little like tossing the baby out with the bath water, but hey, if it is that important to you.

I'll add my desire to this list of good people - same thing: pick what i want to see as a thumbnail.  Please

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the "snippet" image when the following occurs:

1. I created a note with an attached pdf.
  2. I observed that I uploaded the wrong pdf. I deleted that pdf in the note.
    • I then had an empty note.
    • The original snippet remained in the middle column.
  3. I then uploaded the corrrect pdf to the same note.
  4. Result: The "snippet" (thumbnail) in the middle column is still the image of the wrong pdf.

...Is there any way to change the snippet, or do I need to delete the note and create a new one with the correct pdf attached?

Thanks -

It would be very helpful to be able to choose a thumbnail image for a note, as I have tried many many methods and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to which image is used.  Some of the image choices by Evernote, is of no use whatsoever in finding a particular note quickly.  A simple right click on an image with an option in the drop down menu, to, 'set image as thumbnail', would be terrific!  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Selecting the thumbnail that shows on the note preview is exactly what I need. I'm using Evernote as an inventory record for my art practice so images are vital to the success of this. I'm trying not to use other software and have as much as possible in Evernote. I hope I don't have to resort to something different. Please Evernote! I don't want to have to transfer my files (again - I started in Excel)!!!

I'm also waiting for this feature. I want to control how to see my notes.

This is ridiculous that such a useful feature not done yet.

Hello? @evernote?

Will someone let us know about this one? It is a hugely important feature for a lot of people and their workflow.

I'm tired of continually struggling to get the right thumbnail image to appear on my notes in the snippet view. I would be so happy if Evernote could make this feature request happen! 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Projgeekette said:

Hi,

I would like to know how to change the "snippet" image when the following occurs:

1. I created a note with an attached pdf.
  2. I observed that I uploaded the wrong pdf. I deleted that pdf in the note.
    • I then had an empty note.
    • The original snippet remained in the middle column.
  3. I then uploaded the corrrect pdf to the same note.
  4. Result: The "snippet" (thumbnail) in the middle column is still the image of the wrong pdf.

...Is there any way to change the snippet, or do I need to delete the note and create a new one with the correct pdf attached?

Thanks -

You want even more maddening? How about accidentally copy/pasting an image into a note when you intended to copy/paste text. That image is forever burned into the thumbnail even if that pasted image only existed for 1 second.

I have been adding my library books to Evernote. If I place a graphic of a book cover in a note for each book, I get a really nice view of my library using the thumbnail view. However, I cannot add any information to the notes and still retain that nice view of my library. I have worked around this by making the graphic of the book a link to a second note, where I can make my notes and comments on a book. This is, however, quite time consuming and clumsy. It would be much simpler to be able to right click on the graphic in a note and have an option there to designate that graphic as the image that shows in the thumbnail view.

I can see this feature being used for many other collections including music, art, household items, websites etc.

There are programs specifically for book collections etc., but then I have to store my book collection information separate from all my other notes and information. Having one place to store all my information is important, as I suspect it is for many Evernote users.

Hi.  Try a 2-column table,  with the image in one column and your comments in the other.  The image side can be made as small as necessary.  The thumbnail will still work and the notes will not be overwhelmed by a large image.

It's also possible to select an image and change its size with the 'handle' in the bottom right corner.

If you have a complicated setup with tables,  you could consider creating a 'template' note with that layout to copy and use as necessary.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Try a 2-column table,  with the image in one column and your comments in the other.  The image side can be made as small as necessary.  The thumbnail will still work and the notes will not be overwhelmed by a large image.

Thanks for your reply. However, I can't get this 2-column table idea to work. The whole table shows up in the thumbnail view and not just the graphic.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, jefito said:

A much-requested feature. Please go here and add your upvote: 

Thanks for pointing me to the other post. I figured others must have requested this. 

1 hour ago, Joe Loves Watercolors said:

Evernote keeps deleting my posts

That shouldn't be happening unless your post violated one of the user agreement terms.  There has been an effort lately to consolidate similar posts into one thread.  Maybe they have just been moved?

1 hour ago, motorbikematt said:

The utter inability to respond to these requests in a satisfactory manner

What would be a "satisfactory manner"

We could dig up the smaller of the larger explanation

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

What would be a "satisfactory manner"

We could dig up the smaller of the larger explanation

DT, your response is characteristic of Evernote's problem where they just ignore what users want and substitute their existing feature which is what everyone is complaining about.  We don't want to have to use the little Orphan Annie decoder ring to figure how to get a particular image to show. Evernote just needs to show the top image or let us select the image that will show instead us having to do a bunch of file size manipulation everytime we add an image.  What is unclear about this since it has been said ad nauseam?

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  
You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion,

I don't see any way to vote.  Typical of Evernote, we are supposed to navigate its arcane machinations to tell them AGAIN what 99% of the comments heartily support -- adding a feature to let the user decide what image to show in the snippet. Maybe someone could teach customer support how to read, so that the gazillion pleas over several years are acknowledged (instead of ignored) and the feature is added. But I doubt it. When Evernote goes bankrupt it will only have itself to blame. I for one am done with this idiotic company.

Personally I have voted for this improvement.

But when I read all this stuff about „if they do not implement this or that, I will quit ...“, to me it always reads like „if I do not like my nail polish, I will have my hand amputated“.

Like a little child, standing in front of me and stomping with his/her little feet. Here, take a sweet 😉 

At the top of my screen Evernote proudly proclaims an update to 'Dark Mode for iOS'. Come on guys, less of the candy floss and mere of the cake.  This needs to be fixed!  It is not a nice to have it is an essential feature...

Evernote really doesn't care about their customers. They probably even don't know that have a forum anymore. 

What is the value of your posting for the forum visitors, and how do you know ?

I am not against posting an opinion, but this is plain optinionating without any content.

Currently the picture is chosen by the EN software based on a rule, and that is it. There is no law that a software has to do everything that users want, and we are not discussing a bug that would stop anyone from using the software. This is a (valid and reasonable) feature request, I have added my vote to it quite a while ago, but that is it.

So we should IMHO stop to blow hot air into the .... of the mouse to make it look like an elephant.

Here's another annoying problem. I deleted an image from my note because I didn't want it as the thumbnail. And it remains as the thumbnail image! 

How magnificently and unbelievably frustrating is that? 

It is 2020!!!!

Do we already have a solution to us being able to choose the pic we want as thumbnail??

🤔🤔🤔😔😔

I've never used this forum before and I did it today just for this issue. To discover that there are YEARS of requests for Evernote to add this simple feature is stunning to me. 

So yeah, I'm glad I hadn't yet imported all my pics into Evernote. I'm off to Google Docs to create the catalog of my houseplants that I want over there. Buh-bye, Evernote. 

Reviewing the long lasting request of having option of choosing the proper thumbnail to represent the post I barely can understand the problem of having this available when EN claimed that it listens to the "voice of the customer" ... I don't see the difficulty of having this feature available when it activates such simple option for its users .... EN made a name in the note taking application I will feel sorry to waste this reputation.

Makes me wonder is EN really listens !?

this 2020 and this feature haven't been launched.

Please evernote, listen to us.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:52 AM, ToddinTX said:

I think it's obvious, at this point, that Evernote users want the ability to select the default thumbnail for notes.  I agree that it seems ridiculous that this conversation started in 2013 and 4 years later this hasn't been added to the application.  As a visual person, the thumbnail helps me quickly find what I'm looking for.  For example, when I'm looking for a recipe for pancakes, an image of the video (pertaining to the recipe) of two cooks doesn't help me find what I'm looking for.  I need to be able to select the pic of the stack of pancakes.

The whole purpose for using Evernote is to be able to organize things so that they are easily found/accessed.  I'm confused why this isn't already an option.  This seems so simple to implement.

Can we get some love on this issue?!

So I'm just starting with Evernote, it's 2020 and why is this still not an option? There are so many great things about this platform but so many agrevating things that suck all my time and energy from my projects that I end up losing my enthusiasm for them. 😐 Then I read posts from years ago like this and I am even more frustrated. 😡

Has this been implemented yet and I just can't figure it out?  Is it a feature in the premium version?  It's so annoying that I can't choose the thumbnail for a particular note!

• Like 1

Then again, if anyone is interested, one could contact Ian Small via LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/iansmall/. 

• Like 1

I use the app on my phone so long hold select would be great in that platform, as well. 

• Like 1

When it comes to recipes i rely heavily on the thumbnail image.  Why, oh Why is this taking sooooo long?  I am thinking of getting off of evernote to find something that will give me the images.  Honestly, so annoying!

• Like 2

A must have functionnality, pleeaase !!

I would like to see this Evernote feature, and others which users have been requesting for years.

As you can see, this one has gone unaddressed for NINE years; --and so far, I don't see it in the Evernote "Preview" beta for the big rewrite they've been promising for the past couple years  either.

One can't help getting the impression that Evernote is practically impervious to their customers.

Eat cake, folks.

• Like 1

Maybe they have blocked this one and we should all create new posts with the same topic....

5 hours ago, MCShults said:

Eat cake, folks.

I'm not sure what this means, but please continue to up vote everyone.  I am tired of seeing random images, selected by the Evernote algorithm, from a web clipping showing up in snippet view that have no meaning to the note content.  If we can't select an appropriate image, I would rather have an option to surpress them for web clippings.

I think the 'Eat Cake' comment is a reference to the "let them eat cake" quote usually attributed to Marie-Antoinette.

The general message appears to be that Evernote are out of touch with their user base (which I would agree with).