Control Which Image Shown in a Note's Thumbnail/Snippet View

marcelo

Idea

Now that we can resize how images appear, at least use the displayed size instead of the real dimensions. Thank you☺️

Convert PDF to JPG • Decimal to Binary 
https://convertertogenerator.com/

https://cablesport.net/
https://howtodiscuss.com/
Through these sites you can share your thoughts with everyone and ask if you want to know about. These two sites will further enhance your general knowledge. you can also connected with others for free

I agree that this feature would be extremely welcome to put it mildly.  

I just wanted to point out that you can take advantage of the image getting "stuck" to the note even if removed.  When I get a note that doesn't use my preferred image (usually because I added it later), I use the following steps to "fix" it.

1. Create a new note.  
  2. Copy and paste the image that I want for the snippet into the new note.
  3. After a few moments, the snippet image loads.
  4. Then I just copy the rest of the original note and delete the old one.

Sure, it's more work than simply clicking an image and selecting it but I found found it to be worth the effort to get the snippet image that I want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same request here, especially as the thumbnail that shows up seems to be cast in stone. I remove the image from the note with another image, and the snippet continues to show the old thumbnail. There is no way for the thumbnail to be refreshed.

5 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Now that they have re-implemented the encryption edition, I have a feeling that this long lasting feature will be implemented soon. 

I admire your optimism. :) I do hope you're right, because I think this is a nice quality-of-life feature.

• Level 5

Could be the better solution, instead of turning ones face blue and purple.

My only (weak) explanation is that thumbnailing is a server function, and they don’t want users to mess with what the server does.

Not a good decision, especially for visually oriented users a good thumbnail is a real efficiency driver.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If it boggles your mind, you better get some antistress tea. 'cause I could be wrong, but I don't see it around the corner yet.

It was not done until now, for whatever reason. Most long running requests fall into the category of "never explained why not". If you want to comment on this to EN, use the feedback function build into the clients.

• Level 5*
On 7/1/2011 at 2:51 AM, marcelo said:

Can I somehow force Evernote to use a specific image as thumbail?

Actually,  the answer to the OP's question is actually 'yes'.  Just hide or delete other images from a note and the one remaining image will be shown.  Or play around with image sizes until the preferred image has the largest short edge.  Or put your preferred thumbnail in a separate note and add a link to the rest of the content in another notebook.  

The realities are that Evernote is what it is:  unless you're incredibly lucky and request a feature they're already working on,  you won't see this one added (if it ever is) for several months at the earliest.  If you can't live without it - go find some software that does what you need.  If you can live without it for the time being,  the request has been made in some style here with 450+ votes.  Constant reminders won't make it happen any sooner - please be patient!

• Level 5*
On 11/20/2021 at 5:08 AM, Carrie C said:

Yo, Evernote! Please give us the ability to change thumbnail pictures. My health history has an embarrassing thumbnail of a rash that I would prefer to be hidden.

Save it as a zip file (with or without a password) and it's hidden...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Or place it on a drive, and put a link to it into the note.

I like the zip-file better, because if you forget about the file and the link, you may loose the information one day.

If the thumbnail is already there, it is sometimes sticky and hard to remove. Better to create the note from scratch, copy all content but the incriminating picture, zip up the picture and add it separately to the note.

• Thanks 1

In many scenarios this function is really REALLY! helpful... As a user and customer of evernote for several years, please give some attention to this request, should not be that hard to accomplish, Give user the option to chose which image will shown on each note. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Theodor With said:

And give it yet another day to write a simple if/then clause to select either the automatically created thumbnail or the manually added one for display. So, in less than a week this could be fixed. It's not even complicated, it's simply another field in the metadata!

If that were the only thing they were doing,  I agree Evernote could probably change the necessary code more or less overnight.  However Evernote is a machine with lots of moving parts serving enough users worldwide to populate a medium size country.  I assume they have their own priorities and agenda.  Why should this be at the top of the heap?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, highchairdrama said:

If there's another app out there who's ignored user requests for a simple feature for over a decade, I'm unaware of it.

Evernote recently completed a multi-year project to completely rewrite the app to allow them to meet previous user requests and continue to develop new features.  Despite the number of requests here,  it's not a democratic process - it's Evernote's business,  and while they'll listen to requests,  they're not obliged (or may be financially or technically unable) to deliver.  Realistic alternatives are:  enjoy what they provide,  or find an alternative.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:48 PM, PinkElephant said:

No dev team will ever fulfill „all“ wishes of users, subscribers, wanna-bes and other stakeholders. If they did, the software would simply become unusable

That is not what is being asked for here and you are being disingenuous to suggest it.

We are asking for one feature (and have been for over ten years, and hundreds of posts).

Evernote keep implementing dozens of 'new features' which we don't want or need.  

This is the ONLY feature that matters to most Evernote users as is evident from the number of posts on this topic and the length of time this topic has been going.

I am extremely disappointed with Evernote's complete lack of customer support on this.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@johnortt Oh boy, go look through the forum before posting.

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of feature requests, ranging from obviously very personal stuff like "I want an interface with this app (name your favorite, never heard of)", to threads like this with a broad reach. If each feature request would be implemented, the software would be unusable for sure. Even a fraction of them would kill any consistency.

About this thread: I have voted it up a long time ago, and I have always promoted it. I share with most users here the feeling it should be pretty easy to implement, and - opposite to many other requests - this one would only need resources once, when the thumbnail gets created or replaced.

• Like 1

Okay, I might have exaggerated when I said "the only feature that matters to 'most' users". 

I do however feel it is the only feature that matters to a sizeable portion of Evernote's userbase (me included).
Looking at the feature requests, it is item 7 on the list and one of three that have been around since before 2012.

The software doesn't have to be perfect but customers do need to get the feeling that the developers are listening to them.  I am really fed up of this limitation now and every time I get a notification on this post (which leads to conversations like this) I start the hunt again for a viable alternative to Evernote.

Long story short - there are loads. and the only reason I am not jumping ship already is the learning curve and time it would take to migrate.

I just think this topic is long overdue a bit of love from the dev team.

On the subject of features:

The most recent version is 10.26.5. Released December 2, 2021.

NEW
Your default notebook will now have its own unique icon, so it's easy to spot while you're scrolling through your list. It's the little things.

Wouldn't it be great if ALL our important workbooks could have their own unique icon too (and one of our choice).

On 12/3/2021 at 3:29 PM, gazumped said:

I'll have to defer to your superior knowledge of Electron and Evernote's code base on that.

In most contexts, a moderator facilitates a conversation and, when necessary, de-escalates tense exchanges. No one in this thread appreciates this kind of (consistent) hostility, much less from a moderator.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, highchairdrama said:

In most contexts, a moderator facilitates a conversation and, when necessary, de-escalates tense exchanges. No one in this thread appreciates this kind of (consistent) hostility, much less from a moderator.

Tempers always run hot in this sort of exchange,  which seemed to be running pretty much true to form up to this point.  If at any stage you feel that the comments made by a contributor (or moderator) are counter-productive,  you'll find a 'Report' option behind the three-dots menu on each post.  That message will get to the Evernote admins of the Forum who will consider your remarks and take any appropriate action. 

I am a Premium subscriber. And I don't understand why I still can't choose my thumbnail. Most of the time, the chosen thumbnail is not the right one. It is really painful and annoying. I don't understand why such a small thing like being able to choose your thumbnail if the default one isn't suitable is still not possible. It is incomprehensible.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, hgdar said:

I am a Premium subscriber. And I don't understand why I still can't choose my thumbnail.

I'm not an employee,  so can't confirm a reason but Evernote:

• manages the largest repository of personal information on the planet - multiple petabytes of data.  None of that existing information has any code to allow a choice of image to be made.
  • has 250M (approx) installed apps around the world.  All of them would need to be replaced with the 'choice' variant.
  • already has an algorithm which selects a preferred image for best 'thumbnailability'.
  • would have to rewrite their editor code,  test and release it - all of which costs considerable amounts of money - to resolve this for the 450+ users (.02% of 250M) who find this an issue.  

- a bit like trying to change the battery on a Tesla while it's on a racetrack.

• Level 5

Don‘t know either. But the thumbnail is generated once, and then stored. And the thumbnail already exists, plus a process that generates it „in all cases“.

This probably makes it easier to implement than features that need to run every time the app is used. If there is no picture selected, do as always. Else: Right click on image, select as thumbnail, and the thumbnailing grabs that image, makes the thumb and nails it to the note.

Doesn’t sound like 🚀 science to me.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm not an employee,  so can't confirm a reason but Evernote: ...

• would have to rewrite their editor code,  test and release it - all of which costs considerable amounts of money - to resolve this for the 450+ users (.02% of 250M) who find this an issue.  

Not entirely true - 450+ users, who know about this forum and are frustrated enough to complain about this (lack of a) feature.

I would be amazed if less than 25% of the user base found this feature useful (if implemented).

Also, as PinkElephant says, the thumbnail is generated only once normally. 
Shouldn't be a big deal at all to regenerate it based on the users preference.

More like reaching over to change the radio station in the Tesla while it's on a racetrack.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm not an employee,  so can't confirm a reason but Evernote: ...

This brings up an interesting consideration. 

I wonder how many of the 250M customers have bothered to register an account on this forum?

I would be surprised if it is 1% of the userbase..  With that in mind, how many people are represented by the people in this thread?

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, johnortt said:

I wonder how many of the 250M customers have bothered to register an account on this forum?

The ones who're commenting on Twitter / Facebook / Reddit / Evernote's blog pages,  plus those in any surveys / focus groups probably are not.  However Evernote is well aware of the opinions being raised there.

I don't think requests here are necessarily any indication of how important an issue is.  That being said,  Evernote are a commercial operation - if they have any sense at all they'll concentrate on developing crown-pleaser features before niche items. 

Being commercial they also have to schedule things and manage workflows for most efficient use of resources - so "simple" updates affecting key processes might get left until that process comes up for its bi-annual (or whatever) review.  

Since no-one here is in possession of all the facts or the hands-on background it's pointless to claim one feature is more important than, or easier to implement than another.  Evernote will do what it thinks is likely to generate the most long-term income,  when it is most convenient for them to do so.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, johnortt said:

Shouldn't be a big deal at all to regenerate it based on the users preference.

Sorry - missed that before:  I get that there are existing thumbnails. That have been created by code that's an integral part of the 250M-ish Legacy and EN10 apps out there.  I don't know what effect offering the user-base the chance to select a different thumbnail would have - presumably there would be a flurry of interest in 1) trying it out and 2) changing 'some' notes.  Bearing in mind that Evernote has a humungous existing storage I shudder to guess what sort of additional traffic would be generated by existing users over a period of weeks or months during its introduction.  I KNOW I don't even want to think about what happens if something goes wrong and users aren't able to get to their existing notes for any reason...

On this general argument I'm going to plead the 5th.  If adding this feature were possible and economic,  Evernote would have done it already.  The fact they haven't suggests that they have their reasons.  Users don't have a platform from which to apply any pressure - all we can do is vote with our cash.