Today we released version 6.0 for the Mac App Store and 6.0.1 for direct download customers.

First off, Mac App Store customers are going to get all of the really cool benefits and features that direct download customers have had for a month.  This means faster sync, improved note editing with resizable tables and images, work chat, presence, context where one can see content related to their notes, and great new presentation mode features.

The other huge update is a sleek new Yosemite look for Evernote.  We previewed some of this at the Evernote Conference last month.  This means we’ve taken out the black side bar and changed it to the cool translucent Yosemite look and feel, took out all of the textures and big icons and switched them to clean and simple designs and in addition everything has higher contrast and is easier to read.  Overall the word “clean” comes to mind when you see the new design.  I really like it and we hope you do to.

We also continue to fix issues and improve existing features.

Work Chat Improvements

• We now have pop-ups and some visuals to educate customers about work chat.
  • Fixed a number of bugs with the chat window and continue to polish the look.
  • Added support for sharing notebooks via work chat.
Bug Fixes

• Improved handling of really long URLs which used to make the note extend off the screen.
  • Lots of other miscellaneous bug fixes

Why is the Mac App Store version different?

• We had to submit the Mac App Store version of Evernote to Apple some time ago for their review and approval so we could release it today.
  • The direct download version includes the changes we've made in the last week.
  • We'll submit 6.0.2 to Apple today for release next week.

As always, please post feedback to this new release on this thread to make it easier for me to spot issues.  Also state whether you’re using the Mac App Store version or the Direct Download Version since they are different.

You can also download the software at: http://bit.ly/14SxwPz
  • Like 3

Found a bug in the first 10 seconds of using 6.0.1 for the Mac. Print a note, click cancel, note title is changed to "Untitled." Do you guys test your software? I will submit a formal bug report...maybe it's fixed in 6.0.2.

Thanks,

Ken

• Like 3

Direct download version here. I made a post about the low-contrast, high-brightness version of the design (at least on Mavericks) here, but I can sum things up here:

• The high brightness, very white design is actually a little bit painful to look at, it's so bright. I use computers for work every day and have no eye conditions; this is the first app that's ever actually hurt my eyes. Functional feedback, not aesthetic.
  • Alternating between white and light gray in the Side List view helps with this a lot, but I prefer Snippets view and that is all white. It would help a lot if the Snippets view also alternated between white and light gray in the list, to increase contrast and make the list easier to parse.
  • The same can be said of the sidebar lists (Shortcuts and Notebooks), which are all one background color and have a problematic lack of contrast.

As for other feedback:

• Please bring back strikethrough to a place that isn't buried two levels deep in a menu. It used to be in the Cmd+T pop-up, but in Evernote 6 that pop-up has been severely stripped down and is missing a number of options from the 5.x pop-up. Couldn't strikethrough be easily placed in the formatting bar above the note editor alongside the various other formatting buttons?
  • This is a years-old request, but could we please, please, please have an option to remove the sync button that turns blue when someone edits a shared note? Many people have requested that on the forums, and for people who get no value from that button it's annoying to have to keep clearing it when it lights up.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 3

Found a bug in the first 10 seconds of using 6.0.1 for the Mac. Print a note, click cancel, note title is changed to "Untitled." Do you guys test your software? I will submit a formal bug report...maybe it's fixed in 6.0.2.

Thanks,

Ken

I can confirm this on my end, too (v6.0.1)

• Like 1

I just updated to 6.0.1 and the first thing I noticed was at the bottom of every note, I now have an ad to convert to Premium.  I may upgrade at some point, but THAT is NOT the way to get me to do it.  Seriously annoyed that I can't turn that off.  I "Hide" it but it comes back if I switch to another notebook and then come back.  :-(

• Like 1

Largely, I like the new design. The glyphs conform nicely to the system standard, the cleaner window is on the whole pleasant to look at. I personally don't find it any brighter than, say, Mail.app, which I use regularly, and it's refreshing.

A few thoughts, though:

• You should really use the system font. Right now, the window's title bar uses the system Helvetica Neue, but the sidebar, note list, etc., all use the regular version of the font, not the system UI version, which has adjusted kerning and letter spacing for readability on non-retina displays etc.
  • Plus, if you just specified the system font app-wide instead of specific fonts, you wouldn't do things like miss that the notebook name, in the note view, is still in Lucida Grande—just that bit of text in the entire app.
  • Maybe the note list should be opaque. Like, Mail's message list is opaque, and that gives the window some weight, and would eliminate the problem of list view's alternate row colors being less readable on some backgrounds.
  • Usability-wise, you gotta implement smooth scrolling in the note list. Scrolling through messages in Mail, webpages in Safari, etc., has been super-smooth since this was introduced in Mavericks (right?) and Evernote's note list seems stutter and kinda painful to use in comparison. It shouldn't be that the web client's note list (since it's in Safari) scrolls more smoothly than the native client's.

The client's new design is refreshing, promising, etc., and at this early stage, you'd expect it to have some rough edges. Hope you can iron them out soon!

• Like 4

Marcus, thanks for the update.  I know those who go through the Mac App Store will really appreciate it.

Issue:  Low Contrast Text

The attachment to the below post clearly illustrates this issue with Ver 6.

In particular the column titles are very low contract AND very small font size, making them very hard to read.

Again, it continues to appear that your UI designers put more importance on looking cool, looking like Apple, than they do on essential readability.  

Thanks for the screenshot of the column headers. That will get adjusted.

Regarding contrast

This is our highest contrast release ever. We've had this app reviewed by text accessibility experts. This was done for our users who have complained about legibility (including you JM :)

• Like 3

Marcus, thanks for the update.  I know those who go through the Mac App Store will really appreciate it.

Issue:  Low Contrast Text

The attachment to the below post clearly illustrates this issue with Ver 6.

In particular the column titles are very low contract AND very small font size, making them very hard to read.

Again, it continues to appear that your UI designers put more importance on looking cool, looking like Apple, than they do on essential readability.  

Thanks for the screenshot of the column headers. That will get adjusted.

Regarding contrast

This is our highest contrast release ever. We've had this app reviewed by text accessibility experts. This was done for our users who have complained about legibility (including you JM :)

Seriously???  Maybe your "text accessibility experts" need glasses.   :lol:

I just don't see how you can call this high contrast, with grey text on grey/green background.

Just compare the screen shot with the text on this forum, even in the quote blocks, and the big difference should be apparent.

post-107765-0-70270000-1416514841.png

• Like 3

Really wish I hadn't upgraded.

When I read that the new Web UI would be pushed out to the other clients, I guess I expected a little more advance notice.

Is color so bad?  It's just so stark.  No sign of the Evernote green I've come to love and admire except in the icon.

I really think the Android folks have nailed the design with a modern fresh look that doesn't sacrifice color.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I guess I'll have to.

I need to find a way to turn off the translucency though.  Either that or get rid of some wallpaper.

:(

• Like 7

Oh sheesh!  Going by that screenshot of JMichaels' above, there is no way I'm going to upgrade. "Text accessibility experts"???  Surely you're kidding?  Is it April already?

And what IS it with all this translucency/transparency nonsense? That alone is one of the reasons that I am not upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite - the other (and main one) being that they have badly broken the Mail app. I won't go off-piste and discuss that here.

If I have a window at the front, I want to read it. I don't want to see the ghost of the wallpaper behind it, and I most certainly don't want to see another app's window full of text ghosted behind what I'm trying to read.

Does this upgrade bring back "Email Note" as an easy to use, one-click option? I didn't think so.

Does it give us options, to turn off Context, Chat, and Translucency? Ones that actually, really, turn them right OFF - as in "GONE"? Don't think so.

Does it give us back a configurable toolbar?  Nope - didn't think so.

So give me one reason WHY I should even think about upgrading to v6? It seems to be just adding more things I don't want and don't like, while not fixing or bringing back the things that I do want.

This is getting very depressing - I checked out OneNote yesterday. It's still not up to what Evernote used to be, but it's getting closer....

• Like 5

Evernote for Mac 6.0 via App Store:

Lost many of may tags??

I Installed the App Store version and I thought it ported only about 60% of my tags from my existing EverNote.

Now I'm at a loss.... wait a minute...

I clicked on the Sync.... now syncing.

I see my old tags coming back.

Okay... FALSE ALARM.

Heart Rate returning to normal.

• Like 1

Thank you for the new version.

I agree with the remarks that the flat and low contrast look seems to be modern but is not necessarily friendly to the eyes. Just to let you know, in Germany such a user interface is actually illegal to be used for work although not many companies care. There are regulations how big the smallest font has to be on the screen and how the contrast needs to be. I am member of the works council in my company and I would strongly vote against such an interface.

I prepared a picture that shows the problems and that it would be easy to change. It is not a space problem.

• Like 2

Seriously???  Maybe your "text accessibility experts" need glasses.   :lol:

I think the opposite is the case. These guys are all very young and (still) have good eyes. But that will change rapidly if they continue working with such UIs.

• Like 3

I may have found some relief.

Goto System Preferences > Accessibility

Accessibility.png

That's a system preference setting in Yosemite, which is not present in Mavericks or earlier. Does the new Evernote have the stupid transparency thing happening when running under Mavericks? I'm not upgrading, so I can't check for myself.

Oh sheesh!  Going by that screenshot of JMichaels' above, there is no way I'm going to upgrade.

And what IS it with all this translucency/transparency nonsense? That alone is one of the reasons that I am not upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite - the other (and main one) being that they have badly broken the Mail app. I won't go off-piste and discuss that here.

If I have a window at the front, I want to read it. I don't want to see the ghost of the wallpaper behind it, and I most certainly don't want to see another app's window full of text ghosted behind what I'm trying to read.

Does this upgrade bring back "Email Note" as an easy to use, one-click option? I didn't think so.

Does it give us options, to turn off Context, Chat, and Translucency? Ones that actually, really, turn them right OFF - as in "GONE"? Don't think so.

So give me one reason WHY I should even think about upgrading to v6? It seems to be just adding more things I don't want and don't like, while not fixing or bringing back the things that I do want.

This is getting very depressing - I checked out OneNote yesterday. It's still not up to what Evernote used to be, but it's getting closer....

Accessibility and contrast - We use tools to verify the legibility of our text and have had external review on accessibility. The mistake on our part in that screenshot is the list view column headers. We'll fix that :) Your feedback is very helpful! In general though, screenshots like http://note.io/1yv71bC represent a renewed commitment to legibility. 

Translucency - This is thematic of Yosemite design in general. I respect your decision not to upgrade :)

Email note - We are not removing this completely. Thanks for the feedback. 

Context - As with related notes (context's predecessor), you can always turn this off.

Configurable toolbar - This has not been an option since 5.0 nearly 2 years ago. This is nothing new.

One reason to upgrade to v6: Speed. It's blazing fast compared with v5. Sync is fast. Open/Quit is fast. Etc. Oh, and the note editor is better. Oh, and the contrast is higher. And we've fixed lots of bugs. Ok, maybe that was more than 1 :)

You're welcome!

I agree with the remarks that the flat and low contrast look seems to be modern but is not necessarily friendly to the eyes. Just to let you know, in Germany such a user interface is actually illegal to be used for work although not many companies care. There are regulations how big the smallest font has to be on the screen and how the contrast needs to be. I am member of the works council in my company and I would strongly vote against such an interface.

I prepared a picture that shows the problems and that it would be easy to change. It is not a space problem.

Font size - if we're in trouble, Apple should be too :) http://note.io/1HrGthx 

As I mentioned above, if you see something, say something. We're listening!

• Like 2

Is color so bad?  It's just so stark.  No sign of the Evernote green I've come to love and admire except in the icon.

A glaring case of going from the sublime v5 to the ridiculous v6. 

To quote a tweet from the redoubtable Don McAllister of Screencasts Online fame:

"Blimey @Evernote The new Mac version is a bit bright! Why no dark option or theme. Almost unpleasant to view ;-( "

• Like 3

Accessibility and contrast - We use tools to verify the legibility of our text and have had external review on accessibility. The mistake on our part in that screenshot is the list view column headers. We'll fix that  :) Your feedback is very helpful! In general though, screenshots like http://note.io/1yv71bC represent a renewed commitment to legibility. 

. . .

Jack, your screen shots look much better, but they do appear to be zoomed UP in size.

Perhaps you guys could post a series of screen shots at ACTUAL size of various views of the new EN Mac app running on Yosemite.  Better to err on too many screen shots than too few.   ;)

While you can post them here, it might be a good idea to post them on your web site where they are easy to find and reference.

Thanks.

Thanks Jack - even though we disagree on much of the direction Evernote seems to be heading, we really appreciate you responding like this, and so rapidly too.  Thank you :)

One point about your response - just because the configurable toolbar issue has been around for over 2 years doesn't mean that we don't still want one.  Many do - every time it is mentioned on numerous different threads, it gets followed by several "+1" posts.

I fail to see WHY we can't have one - I want to get rid of the Chat button, as I will never use it. I want to add an "Email Note" button and a "Print" button, as I use those all the time. And I want to move the buttons around to suit my own peculiar way of working, using spaces and flexible spaces, just like you can on 99% of all other apps that run on Mac OS X.

I appreciate your list of reasons to upgrade - but that screenshot of the low-contrast text on JMichaels' post is enough to stop me. And the whole translucency thing. Is that still present even under Mavericks? Can I turn it off completely from within the app's settings? Mavericks doesn't have that System Preferences setting that turns off the transparency.

And thanks again for responding - I just wish those further up the decision-making tree and who decide on Evernote's direction etc would listen to what so many are saying on these forums.

• Like 6

I'm happy to see Evernote pushing the envelope with their apps. I trust when you say it's much faster, but I'm having a lot of trouble seeing it.

The UI in 6.0.1 is dog-slow. Window dragging, window resizing… scrolling through the contents of a note is even slow! What possessed you to make the background behind the notes behind-window transparent? My notes should be my notes! Spend a minute in Mail, Finder… is there anywhere else in the OS where the thing that you're doing your primary work on is just transparent for no reason?

The editing toolbar can be transparent, fine, but it should my notes scrolling under it, not my wallpaper! And scrolling through my list of notes is slower, that's like the one thing I do most in Evernote! I said to myself, fine, they wanted a nice pretty UI they could screenshot, I'll put it in List Mode… nope, that's transparent too! You made every other row transparent?! Why?!

Look, I'm not a reactionary it-changed-so-it's-bad type. I was thrilled to hear Evernote made a Yosemite update. But this should not have been it. Either it's not fully tested or not fully baked or something else.

I'm truly frustrated because using Evernote 6 right now makes using my whole computer slower… I've had Evernote stuck in a full-screen space of its own for months now, and now because of Evernote 6 I can't enter Mission Control without chug from /something/ that your app is doing. Using my computer is faster when I quit Evernote, and I'm not exaggerating. Do you really want to be that app?

It's unfair to your users and to the design of Yosemite to just throw up your hands and say "this is the direction the OS is going". No, it's not. Not once do the HIGs recommend making the whole window translucent. In fact, they say the opposite. They encourage taste and restraint, and that is not what Evernote 6 shows.

I haven't come this close to enabling Reduce Transparency before, and I've been running Yosemite full-time since Beta 1. Instead, I'm eyeing Evernote's export button, which sucks because I was about to pay for Premium.

• Like 2

So what about the banding...? I added a full picture of the below on another thread outside of this one.

Green/white row banding is present on the right hand side of the image...but fades out as you go left. 

Not an optical illusion..it looks this way at all angles. Is this as intended?

BTW - image upload is limited to 30K so I can only upload this tiny screenshot...(for Evernote...where I can store everything?)!!

post-107765-0-24175500-1416521042_thumb.

New design is amazing but...

Blue everywhere... it's a nice color but where is the green touch of Evernote ? The new web interface is more coherent with the spirit. Evernote 6.0 looks like Yosemite, but doesn't really looks to Evernote...
  • Like 3

Just answered my own question above about banding.

1. if you use EN without a window behind it, you correctly see the green bands separating "rows" of notes

2. If you are using evernote with another window behind it....where ever the window behind EN...overlaps with EN in front...EN looses it's banding in the area of the window behind it.

Is this how it should be?

Were any of the much touted "Text accessibility experts" over 50?  Or does the tech world assume that once we hit our half-century mark we have 1 step in the grave and from there we don't have to see ANYthing well.....

• Like 5

Just answered my own question above about banding.

1. if you use EN without a window behind it, you correctly see the green bands separating "rows" of notes

2. If you are using evernote with another window behind it....where ever the window behind EN...overlaps with EN in front...EN looses it's banding in the area of the window behind it.

Is this how it should be?

The bands have a very slight transparency so you see the background bleed through a little.  

By the way, I'm older, have bifocals and the text looks sharp and easy to read to me but I think this kind of thing is very subjective.

• Like 1

The UI in 6.0.1 is dog-slow. Window dragging, window resizing… scrolling through the contents of a note is even slow! 

We haven't noticed any slowness here.  Is anyone else seeing any slow down with the new app?  Could Evernote still be migrating and syncing your data in the background?  If not, zwaldowski could you try rebooting your Mac to see if that fixes things?  It really shouldn't be running slower. 

The bands have a very slight transparency so you see the background bleed through a little.  

By the way, I'm older, have bifocals and the text looks sharp and easy to read to me but I think this kind of thing is very subjective.

OK - I know I sound like a reactionary who just doesn't like anything new (not true, the opposite actually). But just WHY would anyone actually WANT to see the background bleed through a little? Just because someone on the Yosemite team thought it would look "cool"? If I have a stack of real paper notes, I sure don't want the paper to be translucent so I can see the note underneath, or the table top! I just want to see what I'm focused on. And Evernote (and all other apps) should be the same. There is absolutely no point in introducing translucency just because it may look "cool".

And your point about legibility - you say that "this kind of thing is very subjectivce": but surely, legibility should NOT be subjective, should it? I mean - it needs to be legible to everyone who isn't actually blind. Those with 20-year old eye resolution should be able to dial up smaller fonts if they wish, while those of us who are more "mature" (ahem) should be able to see everything with no hint of subjectivity - it should be black and white - literally!

• Like 4

What is the point of transparency????

If it reduces the readability by any amount, then it should NOT be used.

Do you really want to argue that being cool is better than being able to clearly read???

And remember, a one-time static viewing of the screen is NOT sufficient.

Surely you realize that if you're working in Evernote all day (as you guys want us to) then, this becomes VERY TIRING on the eyes, no matter how good your vision.

Also, remember that you now have over 100M users.  If you are making it harder for even a few of them to view and use your app, then don't you think you are doing a great disservice?  Would you build a very cool building that has lots of steps with no ramps just because it is cool, and most people can walk up the steps?

Finally, several others have made the point, but let me reinforce:  If you think you are following Apple guidelines or design, then you are misreading Apple.  The transparency "feature" was intended only for the EDGES of the window, NOT the main body.  The Finder is a great example.

I just don't understand why you guys fight so hard on this.  Are the UI designer's ego's really that fragile?

• Like 5

I've got no vision issues, a 15" retina display, and the brightness cranked up. I think the contrast is insufficient. It took me a while to realize there were even alternating rows of light and dark bands in the side list view.  It's difficult to believe this qualifies as a recommended level of contrast. Overall, the text is a little easier to read, so I think that is a plus! But, why not just offer a bit of customizability and be done with it? 

There are other things to talk about here besides contrast, but I think we really would have been better off discussing it quite early in an Alpha version. Maybe even a Beta version. But, not in the public one. My recommendation would be to bring users into the design process earlier. And, if you are already doing that, then I'd recommend trying other users. I know a few on these forums who have been volunteering for years :)

Anyhow, congratulations on updating the app and keep up the good work!

• Like 4

The UI in 6.0.1 is dog-slow. Window dragging, window resizing… scrolling through the contents of a note is even slow! What possessed you to make the background behind the notes behind-window transparent? My notes should be my notes! Spend a minute in Mail, Finder… is there anywhere else in the OS where the thing that you're doing your primary work on is just transparent for no reason?

Well… we have the Finder:

Finder.png

…and Mail.app:

mail.png

…and both seem to show transparency "for no reason" as far as I can tell. Maybe Evernote is wrong, but they're following Apple's lead on Apple's platform.

• Like 1

…and both seem to show transparency "for no reason" as far as I can tell. Maybe Evernote is wrong, but they're following Apple's lead on Apple's platform.

Are you sure?  The Finder does NOT use transparency in the main body where files are displayed.

Whereas Evernote DOES use transparency in the main body of the display.

It's not that obvious to my eyes.... 

And how old are you, Scott?   ;)

I have no doubt that different people will view this differently.

The question is:  Why do ANYTHING that reduces readability for a significant number of your users?

• Like 1

Agree with the whiteness and the other comments made by Nightstalker.  I would add the ability to choose different highlight pens to the list of things that they seem to continuois fail to add despite it being basic for an app of this kind.  The sidebar in 5.x needed more work it looked/looks like a list of notebooks in the system font.

Instead we get things that most users don't want like context, related notes, chat (?!).

I would get the basics right before fannying around with other stuff.  So much for the focus that was promised earlier in the year.  One thing that did surprise me was that with a version 5 product you found 200+ bugs.....

Ian

Oh sheesh!  Going by that screenshot of JMichaels' above, there is no way I'm going to upgrade. "Text accessibility experts"???  Surely you're kidding?  Is it April already?

It's not that obvious to my eyes.... 

And how old are you, Scott?   ;)

I have no doubt that different people will view this differently.

The question is:  Why do ANYTHING that reduces readability for a significant number of your users?

First, a more relevant question would be "how good are your eyes". The answer is that they are not perfect. 

Second, we are talking about detecting the relative difference between two things. Relative differences should be detectable regardless of visual acuity (except perhaps for profound impairment). If we were comparing your ability to read finder text and my ability to read finder text, then visual acuity would matter, but that is not what we are discussing. Moreover, we are talking about a difference that you can detect but that I, (the purportedly young, perfectly eye-sighted whipper-snapper) have failed to detect. That is you can see a difference in contrast between Evernote and Finder, and I am unable to detect this difference. 

Shouldn't a failure to discern a difference in contract imply poorer vision? Shouldn't it suggest that I have less visual acuity? 

Either discerning the relative difference in contrast between Evernote and Finder is not related to visual acuity, or there is no difference in contrast. If there was a difference in contrast, wouldn't the individual with superior vision be more likely to notice than the person with less visual acuity?

Of course the alternative is that you actually have better eyes than I. But I'm younger than you, so that couldn't possibly be true, could it?  :P

(This post was largely meant to be lighthearted, not nasty, but you know, the whole text thing doesn't always convey that too well. Also, this post is really getting to the point of splitting hairs.... I'm just on my downtime and happy for some banter because in reality, whether it has higher or lower contrast than Finder is totally irrelevant, since usability is ultimately what matters, and it is questionable whether Finder is terribly "usable" from a visual standpoint!)

• Like 3

Do you really want to argue that being cool is better than being able to clearly read???

Because it's the standard set by OS X Yosemite? I like the transparency. I have it turned on. Apps in Yosemite that don't use it stick out like a sore thumb. I did not at all like Evernote 5's black sidebar.

If you don't like transparency, turn it off at the OS level (in accessibility). But Evernote should behave like other "well behaved" OS X applications, which includes using transparency as standard, and following the OS settings. You're really arguing that Evernote should take a stand against transparency and specifically block it in their app only?

• Like 2

One gripe I have is that it is really disorienting to have no separator between the title and the note body. I think a subtle horizontal line, even in a relatively light colour, would help a great deal. It could even extend only partially across the width of the note window, or the whole thing, either way I feel like it would tidy things up nicely. Here's a screenshot showing how it is, and how I think it could be (I used a partial line, but a line the whole width might be best and easier to implement given that a partial line isn't likely to scale well when a window is resized):

https://www.evernote.com/l/ABlJAB35E0xDyq61lTTNSQrxebksJY1byVQ

• Like 5

Because it's the standard set by OS X Yosemite? I like the transparency. I have it turned on. Apps in Yosemite that don't use it stick out like a sore thumb. I did not at all like Evernote 5's black sidebar.

If you don't like transparency, turn it off at the OS level (in accessibility). But Evernote should behave like other "well behaved" OS X applications, which includes using transparency as standard, and following the OS settings. You're really arguing that Evernote should take a stand against transparency and specifically block it in their app only?

I'm not arguing against transparency, I'm suggesting that there is some confusing about how it is to be applied.

My understanding is that Yosemite transparency is to be applied on the edges of the window, not in the main body.

Regardless of the Apple design/guidelines, if applying transparency reduces readability, does it really make sense to use it?

• Like 2

Regardless of the Apple design/guidelines, if applying transparency reduces readability, does it really make sense to use it?

That's the extremely important part to me. The HIG says you shouldn't ever use transparency in a way that reduces readability. Vibrancy effects exist solely to increase readability against a translucent background. Evernote uses it for nothing. Not any of the text, not any of the separators. If I'm dumb enough to have a dark wallpaper (I am, so thanks!), I'm SOL for reading the titles of my notes in Evernote.

• Like 3

Hi all. I'm happy you keep improving your app. My requests after installing this 6.0 update...

Please bring back some of that lovely Evernote Green color. I always thought it was pleasant. I find this all white / grey color scheme disappointing and much less "fun" than your previous color schemes.

Please bring back a line or something to separate a note's title from a note's body.

Thanks for adding the ability to resize an image in a note. 

-Bill 

• Like 3

I'm not arguing against transparency, I'm suggesting that there is some confusing about how it is to be applied.

My understanding is that Yosemite transparency is to be applied on the edges of the window, not in the main body.

Yosemite transparency is in a lot of places. It's in the sidebar, it's in the toolbar (in Safari, at least), and it can be in the main window (not for the content, but for borders). Generally if an application uses standard OS "widgets" then it will put transparency where it belongs, and not where it doesn't, because the behavior comes "for free" when using these widgets. From my 15 minutes playing with Evernote 6 on Yosemite, it seems to behave appropriately.

As far as reducing readability: I don't find transparency reduces readability. The new design of Evernote 6 does seem a bit "hot" to me in terms of how white it is, but I'm not sure it's too much just yet. I don't think it's much whiter than other apps on Yosemite, and I think it's dependent on the screen brightness of the machine I ran it on. It definitely does have more contrast than older versions: Black on white is by definition higher contrast than black on grey ;-)

• Like 2

Yosemite transparency is in a lot of places. It's in the sidebar, it's in the toolbar (in Safari, at least), and it can be in the main window (not for the content, but for borders). Generally if an application uses standard OS "widgets" then it will put transparency where it belongs, and not where it doesn't, because the behavior comes "for free" when using these widgets. From my 15 minutes playing with Evernote 6 on Yosemite, it seems to behave appropriately.

As far as reducing readability: I don't find transparency reduces readability. The new design of Evernote 6 does seem a bit "hot" to me in terms of how white it is, but I'm not sure it's too much just yet. I don't think it's much whiter than other apps on Yosemite, and I think it's dependent on the screen brightness of the machine I ran it on. It definitely does have more contrast than older versions: Black on white is by definition higher contrast than black on grey ;-)

Cat, I'm glad it works for you.

But, clearly, for many others, the EN UI Design reduces readability.

I hate to repeat myself, but since Evernote has 100M+ users, they should, IMO, not do anything that reduces readability for a significant number of their users.

I can't see how the benefits of adding transparency outweighs the cons of reducing readability for some.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of the accessibility settings on Mac, because they are global, and it means that everything is affected. However, you could use them as an option to slightly improve contrast. Here are some screenshots.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAE4ipX4zNpBE4qpAyOeC3JX_9rA6zGdzno

In the screenshots I posted, I challenge you to discern the alternating dark and light bands in the side list view. If you can find them, you have better eyes than me! I cannot imagine how this is considered a satisfactory level of contrast. 

As for the buttons and other indistinguishable things, I blame Apple's design language. On the iPad, I always use the accessibility settings, because it is exceedingly difficult to find buttons and the like. It is so amazingly user-unfriendly from my perspective, it astounds me that Apple thinks this is "good" design. I'd encourage Evernote folks to dust off their Tufte, depart from Apple's design language when necessary, and think about customizability / accessibility / information density to improve the experience for everyone -- "good" eyes or not.

Personally, I am more interested in an information density discussion, and we could start by taking cues from the Evernote Windows version -- feature parity :)

• Like 2

I sure am glad that before pushing the upgrade button I decided to come here to read the reviews.

Can anyone comment on whether any of the reported Applescript defects have been fixed?  That's probably the only thing that may tip it for me.

For those of you that would like to see higher contrast or more legibility can you tell me specifically in what parts of the app?  It doesn't help me if you say the entire app.  

1) Are we in agreement that the actual note has enough contrast since it's on a white background?

2) List View?  I'm hearing a lot of discussion about list view.  It sounds like it's difficult to read the text on the banding (and I'm guessing a lot of this depends on one's desktop background).  I personally don't have an issue here but I understand the point.

3) What about snippet view?

Anyway, it would be helpful and more constructive to provide specific areas of the product you think we should continue to refine vs having larger arguments over transparency.  The sidebar of Evernote will be transparent.  This is not negotiable because this is by definition a part of the Yosemite design aesthetic.  

The bottom line is I agree with the sentiment that we should build a product that works for all of our users so help me provide our design team with specific details to work with.   I'm not sure we're going to satisfy everyone but I think we may be able to make things better for some.

P.S. It's kind of funny because on Twitter the new design is getting generally great reviews maybe because one can't write too much  :) .

• Like 6

Can anyone comment on whether any of the reported Applescript defects have been fixed?

We did not get to AppleScript issues in this release.  

• Like 2

Can anyone comment on whether any of the reported Applescript defects have been fixed?

We did not get to AppleScript issues in this release.  

Thanks for the quick response.

P.S. It's kind of funny because on Twitter the new design is getting generally great reviews maybe because one can't write too much  :) .

OK, I'm going to show my age here.  I really don't know, but my bias is that most people on Twitter are very young, and not that seriously engaged.  You can probably tell I don't use Twitter.

I'm thinking that the Twitter people are into whatever is cool today.  So, take a quick glance at the new cool, Yosemite-styled Evernote, and yea!!!  Evernote is cool!!

Sorry, you can choose to totally ignore this post if you find it offensive in any way.  ;)

Putting my money w.r.t. specific concerns:

• If the sidebar is to use transparency (which personally I completely support), then it should use vibrancy appearance on its text and separators to ensure readability against all backdrops.
  • The contents of the Notes List and Notes View should scroll up under the toolbar/titlebar. The sidebar's contents should not. See the Finder as an example, as well as "Source Lists" and "Toolbars".
  • In the Snippet View, Top List View, and Side List Views, translucent backgrounds to items at best don't make sense and at worst actively impair readability. The change in translucency against the sidebar provides not enough contrast to signify the change in importance.
  • The Note View should have significant considerations made if it it is to use translucency. As noted above, note content should scroll up under all of that. Note content, though kudos for being black-on-white, offers little contrast against the translucent background to see if it's even a note at all. See the Mail app.
  • The rich text editing toolbar/tag toolbar/button bar doesn't make sense being translucent according to the HIG, and the borderless buttons offer no sense as to what their click targets actually are. Again, see "Toolbars".
  • Like 3

Anyway, it would be helpful and more constructive to provide specific areas of the product you think we should continue to refine vs having larger arguments over transparency.  The sidebar of Evernote will be transparent.  This is not negotiable because this is by definition a part of the Yosemite design aesthetic.  

Marcus - when you say that the transparent (I assume you mean translucent) sidebar is not negotiable - does that mean it is translucent under Mavericks as well? Or is it only translucent running under Yosemite? I haven't upgraded to Yosemite (well, I did on one machine, but quickly reverted via Time Machine once I discovered all the problems), and I haven't upgraded to Evernote v6.

Jackolicious, you say "we're listening" but every time someone here complains about the new lack of contrast and visual pain the new design is causing, you basically say they are wrong.

Just saying we are wrong is not dealing with the issue. Just saying that if apple does it, it is ok is not dealing with the legitimate complaint.

I am sorry I upgraded, your wonderful product is difficult to read now, plain and simple. CUSTOMER FRIENDLY SOLUTION: add some options for people to adjust the contrast and even add contrasting colors back, especially for people with vision problems. Thank you Jackolicious.

• Like 1

For those of you that would like to see higher contrast or more legibility can you tell me specifically in what parts of the app?  It doesn't help me if you say the entire app.  

1) Are we in agreement that the actual note has enough contrast since it's on a white background?

2) List View?  I'm hearing a lot of discussion about list view.  It sounds like it's difficult to read the text on the banding (and I'm guessing a lot of this depends on one's desktop background).  I personally don't have an issue here but I understand the point.

The bottom line is I agree with the sentiment that we should build a product that works for all of our users so help me provide our design team with specific details to work with.   I'm not sure we're going to satisfy everyone but I think we may be able to make things better for some.

Hi Marcus,

(1) Overall: I would like the ability to adjust fonts and font sizes, background colors, etc. -- set the default however you like in accordance with the Yosemite design aesthetic, but offer the user some options for customization. 

(2) Sidebar: Fine. In fact, markedly better than the previous version. Show the notebook number / total available. For example, 20/250. What is our total available number? No one seems to know -- the Japanese KB changed once to 450, I think. Do the same thing with total notes next to the note icon: 10,300/100,000.

(2) Toolbar: The blue is too light to easily see. Why not blue like the blue on the sidebar? It could use some customization options. Yosemite design aesthetic recommends offering the ability to customize. I concur.

(3) Notes: Not enough contrast between the white note and the surrounding stuff. The same gray as the toolbar color would be a great help throughout the app.

(4) Buttons: They need borders. See the screenshots I posted above for the accessibility view. Doesn't that look refreshingly better and easier to use?

(5) Notebooks: Same as with the notes: use the toolbar grey color and they'll pop right out (I guess -- get some professional designers with experience handling accessibility issues and it ought to be fine). Enable different views. Why no list view? I have no idea how anyone would actually navigate hundreds of notebooks. Enable sorting options. I use Japanese, which seems to get sorted according to Chinese readings (I guess, I actually haven't figured it out), so a most frequently used sort order, last used, etc. would be a great help. Why not give people colors for notebooks? I cannot fathom Evernote's stubborn and longstanding resistance to color and customization. It's as if your designers grew up with The Giver on their bookshelves and took exactly the wrong message from the book -- the point was that the world is better with color!

(6) Tags: Same as notebooks. Enable different views. Why no list view? I have no idea how anyone would actually navigate 100,000 tags. Enable sorting options. I use Japanese, which seems to get sorted according to Chinese readings (I guess, I actually haven't figured it out), so a most frequently used sort order, last used, etc. would be a great help.

(7)  Preferences: I spy a relic of the past among your buttons. Purge the skeumorphic green-colored interloper from your app ASAP!

(8) Whoops. I forgot about the side list view. See my comments on the notes -- ditto for it.

• Like 4

When I create a new note, Evernote [latest update for Mac Yosemite] takes me to a new screen that only contains the new note.  When I try to bring back the sidebar, there is no response when I click on Sidebar Option no options appear.  The only way back to the main Evernote screen is to put my note into the Rubbish Bin.  PRETTY USELESS REALLY!!!.  I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how to get around this.  

When I go back to main screen and click on View, Sidebar Options, the "Notes" option is greyed out?  How do I fix this?

Gorgeous new app.

The only thing is that scrolling through notes is no longer smooth (on the mid-2013 Macbook Air). It's not terrible but it's noticeable. I know the Air is not a workhorse machine, but the way it's slightly 'choppy' even in smaller notebooks with few notes suggest that it might be fixable.

I'm running OS X Yosemite

Overall I like the new look.  I personally didn't like the light green.  The snippets view which I am presently using is better than the list view when it comes to legibility.  At the same time, I changed the contrast universally on my Mac which helps my old eyes differentiate the colors better.  

I agree with everyone that more choices in the visual aspect would really go a long way.   One thing that bothers me is the light green color of note links.  They are barely legible.  This has bothered me for years and I wish we could determine the color of links.  A stark dark blue or green or red would be sooo much better.  

At the same time, I don't think the Evernote team should focus so much on design but rather on function.  Work on ironing out bugs and bringing on the various enhancements asked for by consumers for many years.  

Can you please add an option to hide the "New Chat" button in the top bar? I don't plan to ever use the work chat "feature" and that button is just huge and annoying.

• Like 1

Can you please add an option to hide the "New Chat" button in the top bar? I don't plan to ever use the work chat "feature" and that button is just huge and annoying.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that, Patrick. Many of us have been asking for the return of a configurable toolbar since it disappeared over 2 years ago, to no avail.

The ability to get rid of buttons that we don't want, to insert buttons that we do want (eg Email note, Print, etc) and to place them at different points on the toolbar is something that was removed for no apparent reason, and with no explanation as to why.

• Like 4

One thing that has gone missing is the ability to remember the sort order when preforming a new keyword search.

So suppose you always sort your notes on Title. Then you make a search, the sorting will be based on Relevance, not on Title any more. 

Is this a bug?

For me this is annoying as I prefix my titles with a category, which makes it easier to overview my search results.

I have to second the complaints about the new interface/color scheme.

It is really too bright, it tires the eyes.

It is really too low in contrast, it doesn't look clean, it looks confused.

It is really too minimalist, it doesn't look cool, it looks cheap.

Sorry if the words are a bit harsh, you make a great piece of software, but please fix this, it IS important. Even just reverting back to the old interface would be fine.

• Like 4

I wonder if the Evernote team will heed the comments posted here by so many first-timers? There seems to be a larger than usual turnout of new posters who have taken the trouble to search out the forum and join it in order to complain about several things, especially the appearance, of this new version.

Surely the impact this is obviously having on all these new posters won't be ignored by Evernote? I mean, those of us who have been whinging - er, sorry - constructively contributing - for quite some time now, sort of get used to being ignored. Boy, cry, wolf, etc etc.

But all these first-time posters must have good reason to be motivated to come here and post....

Was Jack serious when he said that all posts were read and "listened to"?

did you ask your customers before you removed ALL colour and switched to a minimalist look??  This is hideous looking, and terrible for anyone with poor eyesight.  please don't follow apple like puppies and assume all your users are teens or twenty somethings with perfect vision etc.  how can we get some colour back -- so we can easily differentiate between areas / notes / lists etc. 

Also - please bring BACK the title bar - there is no differentiation between title and text - very hard to see which is which.   None of my reminders are 'obvious' now - since they're ALL white with the rest of the app. 

seriously disappointed. If you put out a completely new look at least let us users theme it or change the look to our preference.  Especially us paying users. 

Oh and as a user of several years - i have absolutely NO use for chat -- i have chat programs (geez i have 3 already sigh)...   Give us the option to hide these type of things. 

ciara

• Like 4

This has been a huge issue for me for the last two years, ever since the functionality was removed for no convincing reason, but I can still not arrange my tag hierarchy in the sidebar even though this is way easier than in the main part of the window. Also, Evernote does still not highlight the selected tag if I make the selection in the sidebar. Both things used to be in there and made working with tags much easier. Guess it’s back to version 3.3 for me again, just like after every release of a new Evernote version.

Here's my issue/frustration from the upgrade to Evernote 6.0:

Notes are not showing contents for a *very* long time in all views that actually show the note contents (card view, list view, snippet view, top list view).

This happens upon opening Evernote, selecting notes, opening notes in a new window, etc. The note appears empty, and it takes up to two minutes or so before the contents suddenly appear. If I choose another note after the contents appear, I have to wait for that note to populate the contents area. If I quickly choose another note to view, then come back to the originally selected note (which had finally loaded the contents) the contents are gone again, and I have to wait for them to load once more

This happens to every note I choose, in every notebook - and makes using Evernote very frustrating.

Evernote was upgraded via the app store on a MacBook Air running 10.9.5 (I can't upgrade the OS as this is a company owned laptop, and there are issues with Yosemite and tools we use at work at this time).

• Like 2

It's grey!!! Thats not styling... That's just plain boring and has lost the Evernote feel as far as visuals go, I really dislike the new look, surely the Evernote green could have stayed and been 'brought up to date' with some more 'creative' styling than just shades of grey... Sheeeeesh...

• Like 3

Long time user, first time (I think) to the forums. I was driven here by the redesign. Now, I'm a younger, cutting-edge kind of user. I like running betas, and minimal design. 

But I was driven here to complain about the readability of the new design, e.g. I use card view most often, and the grey of the text in those previewed cards is unreadable. At least make it a darker grey. 

I find the new design interferes with the functionality, so much that I want to downgrade to the old one. Can we at least have a little control over the colors?  How do I downgrade to the old version? 

If it stays this way, I may actually consider changing over to some other program and stop recommending it. Aesthetics over functionality is terrible. (At minimum, I'm going to tell my wife, who does have some vision issues and has been using Evernote for her PhD dissertation writing, to absolutely DO NOT UPGRADE.) 

edit: I'm running Yosemite on my 2010 27 iMac and 2011 Macbook Air.

• Like 2

Some more screenshots.  I think it helps to actually see the UI in these discussions.

Wallpaper will play a big factor in how the app looks.  Especially if you're using it in full screen mode.  If not, whatever window is behind Evernote will drive the coloring.

Here's the wallpaper I tested with:

Wallpaper-for-testing.png

List View with Transparency - Wallpaper 1

List-View-with-Transparency---Blue-Wallp

List View with Transparency - Wallpaper 2

List-View-With-Transparency---Bold-wallp

List View No Transparency - Wallpaper Doesn't Matter

List-View-No-Transparency.png

List View No Transparency - Higher Contrast

List-View-No-Transparency-Higher-Contras

• Like 1

Oh. That's even worse. I guess I have to change my wallpaper to see better contrast? I've never seen that before. Well, I guess there is a workaround, so that is good, but I'd prefer customizability. Just give users a choice, let's stop talking about how grey is enough grey, and let's start talking about some substantive and meaningful umprovements we'd like to see. Sure, the developers have done a great job so far with the service, but let's go further and make it spectacular.

• Like 2

We've been talking about fonts, contrast, and other UI things for two years now. How about these as conversation topics instead?

(1) Encryption by notebook

(2) Selective sync

(3) Hazel-like functionality that enables us to automatically tag, rename, search and replace, etc. throughout the app.

(4) Markdown support

(5) Larger note sizes

(6) Show invisibles so that I can see spacing

(7) A ruler

(6) Information density: word counts, URL, sync status, database size, etc. right at our fingertips, so to speak, iinstead of having to open the popover for every single note. Let's go really crazy and talk about diagnostic tools, context for anything in the Internet, related notes in the hundreds or thousands instead of just three, and account information like which notes are shared, number of people joining / viewing public notebooks, and so forth.

They have nothing to do with collaboration, because this is my external brain, and I don't want other people inside my head. Please give it a thought.

• Like 6

MBP, OS X 10.10.1, Evernote 6.0 (using the App Store upgraded 5.7.2) here are issues I am experiencing:

• Launch Evernote it appears in the Doc, and in the upper left next to the Apple it shows Evernote, however on the screen Evernote does not open.
  • Finally after a few attempts Evernote opened. It is in Card View so I click on a note, in the right pain where one should see the note it is now blank. Double clicking the note nothing happens. Sometimes the note opens yet is blank.
  • Shutdown Evernote again reboot the MBP, after a few attempts Evernote opens, double click any note it sometimes opens, other times it opens to a full screen presentation mode, what the heck is that all I want is to edit the note, and as I move my cursor a blue pointer thingy-bob trails it. Also, the splash screen Go Premium appears. Du'h, I am premium.
  • Finally Evernote after numerous times pressing Esc or the X in the upper left Evernote closes that presentation window. It now returns to the main Evernote screen, however I still cannot edit any note as it will not take cursor input.

There are other issues. So I used AppTrap removed Evernote 6.0

Installed from the Evernote site 6.0.1. Some of the issues stated above are cleared some are worse: 

• My Evernote is in Card View, when I double click a note card in the second column, it opens as one would expect.
  • Clicking on that card then in the right column where we used to be able to edit a note it is frozen, cannot edit in there.
  • Double click that right column the note opens full screen presentation mode not allowing any editing. Press esc, takes you out of the note back to Evernote.
  • Again in the card column where my notes are, I double click it now it can be edited. 
  • Click a card then move my mouse over the image in the right column the image vibrates. Click on it it may stop, if it does then click on the image it again vibrates like crazy.
  • As I am typing this, Evernote is behind it, we can see the note vibrate/pulsate very fast; this is nuts.

As much as I love Evernote I am strongly looking at Microsoft OneNote. Why:

• Over the past many months I have experienced syncing issues
  • Searching not bringing up notes that apply to the search
  • Search brings up notes that do not come close to the search criteria
  • Search with tags not bringing up all notes with that tag
  • Search bringing up notes that do not have the tag I searched on
  • Other issues. 

Yes, for many years I have been a premium user, however this year I will be canceling that. 

You're welcome!

I prepared a picture that shows the problems and that it would be easy to change. It is not a space problem.

Well, you are right, the text 'Favorites' in the finder is small but this is just a column label and doesn't carry information. In Evernote the smallest texts are the notebook, tags, 'date created', 'date modified' and the URL, quite important information. The label 'Favorites' in Evernote in the side bar is actually bigger:

Bildschirmfoto%202014-11-21%20um%2016.52

The new color scheme is harder to read.   It's like reading a paper that's faded and been through the washer. Everything blends.   Did you even wait to see what the feedback was on yosemite's color scheme before copying it?  Or were you just sucking up to apple?  

• Like 1

Earlier shared Notebooks are not shared as seen in Evernote Mac App, but in the online Evernote.com my notebooks are still sharing.

Can I fix this?

Marcus - when you say that the transparent (I assume you mean translucent) sidebar is not negotiable - does that mean it is translucent under Mavericks as well? Or is it only translucent running under Yosemite? I haven't upgraded to Yosemite (well, I did on one machine, but quickly reverted via Time Machine once I discovered all the problems), and I haven't upgraded to Evernote v6.

NS: I'm running 6.0.1 on Mavericks and do not see any transparency--I believe that's Yosemite only treatment.

• Like 3

In the new 6.0.1 version, to which I just upgraded, the Search feature does not work: I do a Search on a very simple acronym (which I can see in my note right in front of me) and the Search feature find nothing at all.

Considering this and other users comments above, this is a majorly broken version

• Like 1

Yes, that's the highest possible contrast but some might complain about it as well. I can live with it and can adjust monitor brightness if necessary.

In another post I suggested that the information above the note - like notebook, tags, date created, date modified and URL - is using a font that is too small although there is enough space for a bigger one.

I like the alternating background. Font size is small but just OK, a bigger one would reduce the number of visible rows. However, the title on top of the list (with "Created, Title, Modified, ...") is transparent and when you scroll and a row of the list moves under it you can not read the title as well as the list row.

OK for me. The title has a good size and contrast. The rest is small but not as important. One can argue about the necessity to show a picture if there is one in the note. In most cases it is not the one that provides good information about the content and we cannot choose the picture that is shown.

Well, I have a different view on that but I have reduced transparency in the system settings anyway so I don't see it.

That is the right attitude. Continue with such conversations. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

I hate the new look. There's a lack of contrast in the backgrounds between the notebook list, the notes list, and then the actual note you have selected. The light beige (very very light) in the notebook list is not providing enough contrast at all. All I see in my Evernote window is a sea of white in slightly different shades, but ultimately they're pretty much the same. The older version was perfect, imo. Also the light gray in the notes list where you can read part of the note is WAY too light.  The notes window itself is fine, it's the other 2 columns I'm having problems with.

• Like 1

Yesterday was excited to see what a new major release of Evernote would bring.   What would the new UI look like and would we start to see a merging of the new Evernote for the Web and the desktop?  Something with a minimal design and enhanced features?  Would we be able to customize the toolbar?

Alas NOPE...

What we have instead is just a new skin on the same Evernote.  

I have been trying and wanting to like Evernote more however the upgrades over the past year have been painful and isolated.  I have NO idea what Evernote does for product roadmaps or testing but something is wrong with their direction.  Just look at the public email/post they had to do with Penultimate and the new v6 mess.  The same is now being said of the core product.  Evernote is thinking "We have the answers!" and yet what people are saying is "No, what you have is a forced choice we do not like". Evernote, it feels like you guys live in a hole that is isolated from how the world works.  

What we have here is an AND/OR problem with how you make decisions. You are making decisions as if it is  Option A OR Option B and then you choose one.  However the world we live in is an AND world.  Give me BOTH options and let me choose what I want.  Give me the options to customize the toolbar and turn off context.  Start giving your customers choice and stop changing how you "feel" people should be working with your product.

I just started using Onenote for iOS and for Mac and while the functions are basic, they are adding stuff each month, the overall experience is pretty good.  I can not write notes or capture audio just yet but I would see that coming soon.  HOWEVER, the formatting of notes stays the same on desktop, phone, and tablet.  Try doing a table in Evernote and see how it squeezes the information on the display of an iPhone, not easy to read.

Anyway I would ask that you step back from whatever roadmap you have and realize people what choice and they want to have the program work the way they would like it do.

• Like 3

Classic note links are gone!  I used to be able to control click on a note in the list, hold down option, and select "Copy Classic Note Link" to get link starting with "evernote:". Now I only have access to "http:" style notes, which are useless for referring to shared notebooks.

It's all right here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html

. . .

Again, there is no mention of using vibrancy inside the main content windows or using a tone down effect on the toolbars to blur background content. 

It seems the designers were just pulling their UI choices out of thin air. This does not look like the job of a professional designer. Also, use green as a highlight colour to offer contrast and constancy with the iOS and web based apps, and to add brand recognition (not blue). This is pretty objective feedback.

Steve, thank you very much for posting the link to OS X Human Interface Guidelines: Designing for Yosemite.

Maybe now that the Evernote Devs know where to find it, they will actually read it. 

Sorry to be so harsh, EN Devs, but honestly, that's how it appears to me.

Prove me wrong, and give us a Yosemite-style design that really works, that is cool while still being very readable.

• Like 4

I love Evernote, it's one of the most valuable apps in my freelance design workflow. I just want to voice some dissatisfaction with some of the changes to the interface.

Here is a screenshot comparing the newest version and just before.

evernote-comp.jpg

I use card view quite a bit. The main thing that is bothering me is the eye strain that is being caused by the light gray post excerpts, in which the font size appears to be slightly smaller as does the relative line height. Snippet view suffers essentially the same ailment. 

It made me think if I ever actually read those snippets anyway, and there lies the usability issue. The small gray text made me think, created a distraction where there was none before. I have to work too hard to see and read that type, and it's a problem. Can you address this please?

One idea that this brought up was the box size for the card view. I'd find it really useful if the user could choose between a small and large card size. On my iMac, a larger card size would play nicely with the extra real estate and could make the snippets more digestible.

• Like 3

I really do think that Evernote just doesn't listen to users.  I am on the lookout for a replacement and when it comes along I'm gone.

There have been so many comments over the years about missing features, features that nobody wants and features just ripped out with no apparent reason and they appear to have a tin ear to it.  There was some hope when that blog post went viral earlier in the year but it appears they don't learn.  It seems they just want to cram everything they think of into the app without thinking about other users.

With the increase in cheap cloud storage it can't be long before an app like Notesuite or One Note gets it right.  The market is opening up and Evernote still continue to mess with their users.

Anyway rant over.

Todays specific missing feature - where did the 'all notes' button go when you are in a notebook?  Gone it seems and we now have to use a keyboars shortcut.  Great that we have a clean toolbar where only Evernote can add *****.

Ian

I use card view quite a bit. The main thing that is bothering me is the eye strain that is being caused by the light gray post excerpts, in which the font size appears to be slightly smaller as does the relative line height. 

Good catch. We'll have a look.

One thing that has gone missing is the ability to remember the sort order when preforming a new keyword search.

So suppose you always sort your notes on Title. Then you make a search, the sorting will be based on Relevance, not on Title any more. 

Is this a bug?

For me this is annoying as I prefix my titles with a category, which makes it easier to overview my search results.

Noted. Will look into it.

Was Jack serious when he said that all posts were read and "listened to"?

Yes :)

Notes are not showing contents for a *very* long time in all views that actually show the note contents (card view, list view, snippet view, top list view).

This can often happen right after the migration (which is why we notify you that migration may take some time). We are doing quite a bit of reindexing for our search/speed improvements. Give it some time and let us know if the situation doesn't improve.

• Like 1

Classic note links are gone!  I used to be able to control click on a note in the list, hold down option, and select "Copy Classic Note Link" to get link starting with "evernote:". Now I only have access to "http:" style notes, which are useless for referring to shared notebooks.

I saw it somewhere else: Press the Alt button before the right click! It is considered as a bug by Evernote and will be fixed.

• Like 2

Is it me, or did the "All Notes" button disappear from the note list? This makes me sad. I know I could just click "notes" at the bottom of the sidebar, but that was always more accessible for me.

Hello,

Updated Evernote for Mac to 6.0. It is VERY slow, but so far does what it has to do.

I use Evernote Premium. I have no use (yet) for the Work Chat feature since I use

it privately. I would like to have the option to disable this feature - especially in the

useful "Share" menu in notes.

A good thing could be an option to tailor Evernote´s Mac client share function like

in iOS.

I´d like to have the option to have a shortcut to

share notes via good old email and not some social networks. Plain and simple

email for example for parents who are elderly and do not care about online social

networks (as do I - I am German).

Thanks.

Andreas.

BUG REPORT:  Search Box Disappears on Small Window

The Search Box disappears when the main EN window becomes too narrow, like one might have on a laptop.

There is plenty of space on the toolbar, so there is NO reason for this.

Once upon a time, Evernote made a big deal about how important it was that the Search Box appear directly above the Note list.  What happened to this notion?

Below is a screen shot I borrowed from another poster.

EN-Mac-6-Search-Box-Hidden.gif

I'm not saying you (or the original poster) are lying, but I cannot recreate that screenshot. When I shrink the window's width as small as it will go, search will always be there.

Maybe it's a one-time glitch?

Evernote.png

• Like 1

Changing the look and feel was definitely a step backwards compared to the previous version.  Wish I hadn't upgraded on the Apple App Store.  You went from a rich look and feel to a stark one.  Also add me to the list of folks who find it much harder on the eyes now.  Net promoter score just went to a 6 from a 9.

Not crazy about the "inspired by Yosemite" redesign which ironically removed all of the dark background now that Yosemite has "Dark Mode". But my main objection here is the now XBOXHUEG Title text. Please back this down to the previous sizing or give me a way to configure it.

I'll give it a couple of more days to see if they give an option to change the hidious color. If not I have no choice but to roll back to an earlier version. 

I absolutely hate it! I can't read the pale font and I am writing a book and use Evernote a lot. 

Tried to uninstall and found an old version, but it WON'T LET ME INSTALL IT. 

It is absolutely ANNOYING. 

I'm not saying you (or the original poster) are lying, but I cannot recreate that screenshot. When I shrink the window's width as small as it will go, search will always be there.

Maybe it's a one-time glitch?

I don't know Macfixer since I didn't make the screen shot.

Maybe it's Direct D/L vs Mac Store version??

I have seen this reported elsewhere prior to the Ver 6 update.

Should be easy enough for Evernote to test/replicate in-house.

Let me know how can I install an older version and I will NEVER update again.

No more such unpleasant surprises, please.