Evernote for Mac v6.0 and v6.0.1

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we released version 6.0 for the Mac App Store and 6.0.1 for direct download customers.

First off, Mac App Store customers are going to get all of the really cool benefits and features that direct download customers have had for a month.  This means faster sync, improved note editing with resizable tables and images, work chat, presence, context where one can see content related to their notes, and great new presentation mode features.

The other huge update is a sleek new Yosemite look for Evernote.  We previewed some of this at the Evernote Conference last month.  This means we’ve taken out the black side bar and changed it to the cool translucent Yosemite look and feel, took out all of the textures and big icons and switched them to clean and simple designs and in addition everything has higher contrast and is easier to read.  Overall the word “clean” comes to mind when you see the new design.  I really like it and we hope you do to.

We also continue to fix issues and improve existing features.

Work Chat Improvements

• We now have pop-ups and some visuals to educate customers about work chat.
  • Fixed a number of bugs with the chat window and continue to polish the look.
  • Added support for sharing notebooks via work chat.
Bug Fixes

• Improved handling of really long URLs which used to make the note extend off the screen.
  • Lots of other miscellaneous bug fixes

Why is the Mac App Store version different?

• We had to submit the Mac App Store version of Evernote to Apple some time ago for their review and approval so we could release it today.
  • The direct download version includes the changes we've made in the last week.
  • We'll submit 6.0.2 to Apple today for release next week.

As always, please post feedback to this new release on this thread to make it easier for me to spot issues.  Also state whether you’re using the Mac App Store version or the Direct Download Version since they are different.

You can also download the software at: http://bit.ly/14SxwPz
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*

As for the nice comments implying a rude backlash that is not warranted, what do you expect? A lot of us are not using Evernote as a sort of Pinterest style app for a homemade muffin company, we're using it for business or professional use (which is clearly a direction En seems to want to cater for). We are paying good money and desire a direct way to express our views on this great software. Evernote is not an indy or family company, it is a professional player and can take criticism (I hope), as just another form of feedback to help them to make a better product. To paint those who criticise as rude and therefore irrelevant does a disservice to those who have specifically found their way to this board to communicate their views on these changes, and hopefully, provide specific and civil feedback to help Evernote make a better product.

Not to keep harping on, because it's not the topic of the thread -- but I didn't call all criticism rude. I was pretty clear about that. Just the, well, rude/snarky comments about firing Evernote's designers, derogatory comments about the accessibility professionals, etc. We are all adults here. Some people making comments in this tone are respected members of this forum and it was just a bit disappointing to read, that's all. Everyone should feel free to make CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, IMHO. Emphasis on CONSTRUCTIVE. The last half of the last sentence of this paragraph shows we're on the same page, but I think you misread my post and I just wanted to clarify.

1) We took out a line break in front and after bullets.  We felt this was more aesthetically pleasing and some people didn't like that they were forced to have it.  Because of this, there will be some differences in line spacing.

AWESOME NEWS! These line-breaks were always a bit of a nag for me - glad to see them gone!

• Level 5*

3) Some people don't like the new design.  The bottom line is if you don't like Yosemite you are not going to like the new Evernote Mac design. Apple sets the design direction and all apps must follow.  As an example, some suggested we use green as a UI highlight to support our own branding and to add a little more color.  I get this and I believe it's a perfectly reasonable proposal.  I think the one thing that might not be fully understood is that Apple has decided that blue is the UI highlight color for Yosemite.  Take a look at selected checkboxes and the down arrow for drop down menus.  It's true that we don't necessarily have to follow Apple blindly but I think it's a losing battle to try to be too different than Apple's defined UX language.  Apple sets the standards and in fact if we use standard UX controls we get their look and feel whether we want it or not and Apple wants all apps to comply so that this UX language becomes well understood.  This is NOT fashion or trying to be hip.  Apple defines the Mac world our apps lives in and we can either join or be relegated to Siberia.  This is how all Mac apps are going to look within the next year.  Now you could argue we didn't do a good job of matching Apple's design aesthetic but it's not fair to litigate Yosemite's look and feel in an Evernote forum.  There are definitely tweaks we can and are making to improve readability but this is a major OS design change and we have to and want to follow Apple's lead.

5) Because of the UI changes and some other recent tweaks we made because of work chat, there's a lot of discussion about customization.  I get this.  I'm a power user too.  Earlier in this thread I discussed my concerns at length but we should continue to discuss it.

Hi Marcus. As always, thank you for the responses, and I appreciate the candor.

(3) Probably true about Yosemite. I'm not a big fan myself, but it has the functionality I want, so I can't complain too much. And, most importantly, Yosemite is customizable. I don't have to suffer through an interface I don't like.

I can only think of one or two apps I have without customizable menus. That seems a departure from the norm. And, it is a departure from the guidelines Apple provides. I'd recommend you make it customizable, but, frankly speaking, it doesn't really matter to me personally as long as we have keyboard shortcuts.

Green? I honestly don't care. Pink, fuchsia, or any other color is fine. Contrast does matter, though, and there is not enough. Pages isn't my favorite app by any means, but it is Apple's, so judging by that there are clearer demarcations between areas such as the right-hand "document," "section," and the main text body. It's got lots of colors in the menu. It's menu is customizable. I don't see any gray on gray text at the moment. I don't see it as any less white than Evernote or my browser, so I don't really get the blindness complaints. This contrast thing is an old story, though, so I am not interested in spending another two years hashing out the precise level of gray we want to see. As I always say, if you give users customizability you solve a lot of problems.

(5) It'd be nice to see some movement on the requests I made earlier in the thread. It's difficult to get excited about Work Chat when I have no one to chat with -- I am not terribly keen on using Evernote as a pensieve to share my memories with others. Presentation? I'll use professional-grade software for that, so no thank you. Surfacing? Only if it is customizable to my needs. These are great innovations, don't get me wrong, but they don't really add to my experience of Evernote as an external brain or something I can put everything into. I don't see them as "awesome." Encrypted notebooks? Well, with that you would immediately differentiate yourself from much of the competition, especially considering Evernote's presence on every platform, and every user could immediately benefit from having their passwords, health records, tax records, and just about everything else secure on the cloud. This kind of fundamental change excites me far more than the UI tweaks.

Just my thoughts. I think users don't give you guys enough credit for the hard work you do, so I'll say thank you here, with the caveat that I hope you will apply your limited time and resources to making truly "awesome" changes.

I dig the new design and feel a lot of the noted criticisms re: contrast will serve to make it better.  After reading this, I feel lucky to have an appreciation for new design and for innovation in general.  I would be so frustrated if I hated Yosemite / the new evernote design, and preferred to stick in Mavericks land.  So I'm sorry your sensibilities have you hating the 'direction' so to speak.  I will say, however, that not appreciating constant innovation / design renovation places you in what I call the 'microsoft' category, where you simply want things to stay the way they were forever and aren't welcome to any change whatsoever.  This causes me to discredit said opinions b/c it makes me feel that your tastes don't relate to mine, and mine, luckily for me, happen to align w/ the tech companies / evernote.

That ramble said, it pleases me when these redesigns are released.  I, like @CHIRMER, practically live within the app and felt the previous version had a great contract but looked outdated.  So thanks to all the evernote employees - I notice your ass-kicking efforts and it inspires me to concentrate the same effort toward my own craft.  

I will say, however, that not appreciating constant innovation / design renovation places you in what I call the 'microsoft' category, where you simply want things to stay the way they were forever and aren't welcome to any change whatsoever.  This causes me to discredit said opinions b/c it makes me feel that your tastes don't relate to mine, and mine, luckily for me, happen to align w/ the tech companies / evernote.

That comment quoted, is a bit arrogant, don't you think? I really don't want to start a flaming war here, but with SO many people complaining about the interface and UI, you're basically saying that everyone else is wrong, but you're right, because you're following the trend and are "cool"?

I get that you like the change. I don't have a problem with that.  But no, I am NOT resistant to change - I am resistant to change for the worse. I LOVE change for the better - but EN6 ain't it. At least, not in the opinions of a lot of people, it would seem. This blind following of Apple is a problem, even though they're not really following Apple - check out Pages - complete with much better readability, coloured icons, and configurable toolbar.

So you can feel free to discredit the opinions of those who happen not to agree with you, even though you concede that it is a matter of personal taste. I'm quite happy to have different tastes from others', including yours, but I don't discredit your opinions.

OK - I'm going to take a break from posting on here for a while (do I hear cheers all around?). I'm getting somewhat frustrated by the lack of concession that perhaps the new interface and UI are NOT right for many people. There has never been any explanation as to WHY features get removed or hidden when they used to work perfectly, or how the elimination of all individuality from the app's UI is going to help Evernote in any way at all.

Sticking with Evernote v5 running on Mavericks here. And trying to find a way of stopping auto-update on my iOS devices so I don't suddenly find any nasty surprises. Would be good to be able to turn off auto-update on a per-app basis, rather than globally.

I'm one of those who find this new interface plain terrible to look at. There is so little contrast among different zones that just doesn't make any sense to me. If it's a Yosemite thing, then at least do it like iTunes/Mail/any of those native Apple apps: darker background for the side bar & give active item a darker background, please (see attached images).  I like Yosemite just fine, but I don't find "Yosemite style =  everything blend together into a giant blur". Also I personally find the translucency thing poorly implemented. The argument of "putting something dark in the background to increase contrast" sounds ridiculous. What about full-screen mode?

Evernote vs iTunes side menu comparison:
Screen%20Shot%202014-11-24%20at%2012.36.

And another thing I don't understand is why do the menu icons (Notes/Notebooks/Tags) on the left become so tiny? Actually I don't find the new icons aesthetically pleasing or functional at all. I don't think "clean design = tiny icons with extremely thin outlines and no fill colors whatsoever." Please see the attached images (side by side comparison of Evernote & iTunes) and note the differences between the current Evernote style and the Apple Yosemite style. Apple native apps have icons that are big enough to be seen & clicked without squinting, and active items have distinct darker background that's actually functional at indicating their status. Other apps like Pages also exhibit much better usability than the current Evernote regarding icon/button styles.

Evernote vs iTunes icons/buttons comparison (left: Evernote; right: iTunes):
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s68/sh/2d17bf45-fa11-4f8e-8b9b-4f54abf6bf60/4f89676648e70c8b/res/13560a5e-839c-498c-8ead-3e5f7f618dfa/Screen%20Shot%202014-11-24%20at%2012.38.54%20AM.png?resizeSmall&width=832α=

Pages: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s68/sh/2d17bf45-fa11-4f8e-8b9b-4f54abf6bf60/4f89676648e70c8b/res/c3fe539e-5112-4ec6-9073-03ffcaaa6d3b/F0D3CC91-ADD7-4946-88EE-26233000397D.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Hello Marcus. Thank you for the quick reply. That alone makes me more likely to stick with Evernote! 

I did a little more looking and it appears that it's mostly in my Recipes notebook (thankfully not my work notebook) and it appears to be mainly content that was pasted in from the bon appetit web site. Unfortunately, many of those are on my Thanksgiving menu, but I will just repair them as I use them. 

It was a bit of a shock, especially after the 6.0 (AppStore) debacle. Taken together those two incidents rocked my confidence for a little while. 

Thanks again for the quick reply. 

Really wish I hadn't upgraded.

When I read that the new Web UI would be pushed out to the other clients, I guess I expected a little more advance notice.

Is color so bad?  It's just so stark.  No sign of the Evernote green I've come to love and admire except in the icon.

I really think the Android folks have nailed the design with a modern fresh look that doesn't sacrifice color.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I guess I'll have to.

I need to find a way to turn off the translucency though.  Either that or get rid of some wallpaper.

:(

I concur. I admit I'm a Green Guy, but the starkness of the new design makes me feel I've lost a friend ... a green friend. Having an entire screen where everything is visually weighted so similarly makes my eyes work overtime.

Tnx,

S

The EN 6.0 interface seems to be based on:

• a forced choice in software interface design established by a major manufacturer (Apple)
  • "usability science," which is critical, but has made the interface something from a machine, rather than a strong designer's intuition.

I want to like it, and I understand that the UI is based on hard data, but this is a great example of how this approach to the interface design can be a failure. It's cold, truly less readable and usable, somewhat clunky and erratic, and doesn't make me love Evernote.

Lastly, version 6.0 (451092 App Store) Yosemite 10.10.1 is a total nightmare do not upgrade - it's unusable due to bugs.

Is it me, or did the "All Notes" button disappear from the note list? This makes me sad. I know I could just click "notes" at the bottom of the sidebar, but that was always more accessible for me.

"All Notes" is in the Note List drop down after Recent Notes.

I used that button all the time. Now it's hidden in a menu. Way less convenient. One quick click has become a menu dropdown and a small entry in a non-obvious place where you would never even find it if no one told you where it was.

What was wrong with the old button? How is the new functionality, which is harder to find and requires extra menu actions, better?

I used that button, until I learned that the key commend (cmd-shift-a) is considerably faster yet!

I'm running Evernote 6.0 on Yosemite and it's virtually unsuable!

Navigation is unbearably slow. Click up or down arrow and the program waits nearly 2 seconds before the key click is registered on screen. Typing is the same - Start typing and it's nearly 2 SECONDS until the characters start appearing in your note. The longer the pogram is open the worse it is but the issue is present even after a complete system restart.

We suspect that for some people the indexing takes a really long time.  This occurs in the background and is very computer intensive and could lead to slowness.  Please try leaving your computer on overnight to allow Evernote to finish indexing.  For some it might take a full day to fully finish.  After this Evernote will work faster than before.   Also there was a customer who rebooted his system after the indexing and that seemed to help.  Please keep in mind that most people are not running into this issue because they don't have the specific data that you have or there could be some sort of issue in your data that is causing the indexing to take longer than normal.  The forums make it sound like everyone is having the same issues and this is not true because the millions of people who have upgraded with no issues don't have a reason to come to the forums so you don't hear of an alternative view.  Please write back to this forum after a few days of indexing to let us know if this did or didn't fix the issue.  If it's not the indexing issue then we want to figure out a solution.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reply. I've been having the issue that scrolling is no longer smooth like it was in 5.7. Do you think that might be an indexing problem? I have around 400 notes, mostly text but some images and pdfs. I don't think it would be that heavy. I'm running on a 2013 MBA, using the App Store version. It doesn't matter if it's a notebook with five notes, it's still a little 'laggy', so I don't think it's the performance of the machine that is the problem. 

I've tried to delete the Evernote app and the Evernote content in Library so that it had to resync everything from the cloud, it didn't change anything however. Is this a known issue or am I alone in this? 

I downloaded Evernote 6 from the Mac App Store. It took 30 seconds ti load each note! I was frantic until I tried staring restarting my computer. That worked. Evernote should make a note of this in download instructions.

{{ using direct download version, 6.0.1 }}

So my first instant reaction was "OMG So much Helvetica!" -- I've used the preferences to change the note text font (back) to Arial 13 :)

Second reaction was it looks so washed out. Using the Yosemite "Increase contrast" accessibility option improves (only) some aspects of Evernote, but IMHO makes the rest of Mac OS more ugly. Would like a bit more contrast between "dead" areas (e.g. around notes) and "live" areas (the notes themselves) for example.

I also really miss the horizontal dividing line between the heading/title of the note and the text of the note. For me "just" using size doesn't work as well, especially as there is no longer any gap. After all these are two different "click targets"

IMHO 5.7.2 looks better.

Notes are not showing contents for a *very* long time in all views that actually show the note contents (card view, list view, snippet view, top list view).

This can often happen right after the migration (which is why we notify you that migration may take some time). We are doing quite a bit of reindexing for our search/speed improvements. Give it some time and let us know if the situation doesn't improve.

I'm still having the issue, which renders Evernote completely useless to me now. I have 250 notes in my premium account, which I would expect to migrate/reindex rather quickly. Here it has been four days since my upgrade, and I'm still stuck with a broken Evernote.

This is killing my workflow to say the least, and the web UI doesn't cut it for me. Give us a way to roll back to the last 5.x version, PLEASE!!

3) Some people don't like the new design.  The bottom line is if you don't like Yosemite you are not going to like the new Evernote Mac design. Apple sets the design direction and all apps must follow.  As an example, some suggested we use green as a UI highlight to support our own branding and to add a little more color.  I get this and I believe it's a perfectly reasonable proposal.  I think the one thing that might not be fully understood is that Apple has decided that blue is the UI highlight color for Yosemite.  Take a look at selected checkboxes and the down arrow for drop down menus.  It's true that we don't necessarily have to follow Apple blindly but I think it's a losing battle to try to be too different than Apple's defined UX language.  Apple sets the standards and in fact if we use standard UX controls we get their look and feel whether we want it or not and Apple wants all apps to comply so that this UX language becomes well understood.  This is NOT fashion or trying to be hip.  Apple defines the Mac world our apps lives in and we can either join or be relegated to Siberia.  This is how all Mac apps are going to look within the next year.  Now you could argue we didn't do a good job of matching Apple's design aesthetic but it's not fair to litigate Yosemite's look and feel in an Evernote forum.  There are definitely tweaks we can and are making to improve readability but this is a major OS design change and we have to and want to follow Apple's lead.

Evernote devs, as a fellow designer I ask you, please understand that people here are not complaining because the new version looks like Yosemite and we simply don't like Yosemite.

Neither understate this as a case of "people afraid of new things".

Everybody looks up to Apple in terms of design, and for good reason. Yosemite is beautiful and also functional. It's totally agreeable to adhere to the new standards, and we certainly understand that Apple "dictates" that to a certain degree, but take a look at the new Finder as an example (nothing can get more "yosemitish" than their own thing right?):

The sidebar has contrast, selected items have the dark bar behind them which is very clear; Evernote selected items in the sidebar have just blue text and that is not enough. Small thing, still very important.

Finder has slightly darker lines to separate one section from another; the new Evernote separation lines are definitely too light. Transparency creates a cool effect and enough contrast between background and note cards only if the app lays on a strong coloured background. But users often open Evernote on top of some other app, very likely a web browser with white background, and there all the contrast is gone, please use darker lines.

The Finder is absolutely not lacking color. Look at those strong blue folders. Look at all the different icons for every different file type. It's appealing and clear. Evernote is now all light grey and white, and beyond becoming a little depressive, it's confusing and makes it difficult to instantly recognize elements. In v5 you had colored icons on the sidebar. They functioned really well. Maybe you could redesign those to be more similar to Yosemite icons (a little more stylized and rubbery) but it's so unnecessary and counterproductive to make them all small and grey (yes, in Finder sidebar icons are grey, but they have to be different from the icons of the actual content; in Evernote they are practically the only icons and it's so essential that they stand out well).

The panel on the right, behind the actual note, could be slightly darker again and not transparent-white, to emphasize contrast and put less strain on the eye. In Finder not everything is transparent, and they make use of grey when convenient (in Cover Flow for instance).

The sync and notification buttons on the top bar, as well as the previous/next arrows are so thin that they disappear, lost in a sea of grey. In Finder each button has a border and a lighter background to let them stand out, why not following that?

Lastly, Apple official highlight color may be blue (and that is not even an absolute, given the fact that the user can change that), but the use of Evernote green would bring back identity as well as surely NOT breaking the overall Yosemite-compliant look. Above all, it would give the application the cozy look it needs (we all know the importance of having the right color on the right thing).

Well I just wanted to drop some more detailed feedback on the issue... hope this can be useful somehow.

Couple of further notes regarding the Yosemite-ish-ness and trying to match Apple.

In Mail, select more than one email message - you will see there is FAR more contrast between the "container" (preview pane) and the "content" (email messages) than the new Evernote 6 UI provides. Also note these email "cards" have a shadow effect (a la Evernote 5 cards) so there is I think scope to "scale back" a little towards the old Evernote 5 UI here.

In Evernote 6 all the preference icons have gone "line art". This has NOT happened in Mail, Safari, Contacts, Calendar, Terminal, iTunes - they've kept their colourful icons in their preferences, so IMHO Evernote 6 could surely have kept the Evernote 5 preferences icons??

I'm using v6.01, and just wanted to add to the chorus of comments about the color/contrast.  

Ugh!  

Way too bright for my aging eyes.  Yosemite introduced dark mode; why not adopt that, like you adopted the flat look?  Everything looks so blended together, and with the light gray text in some areas, against the light background, I just can't read my stuff as well as I used to.  

• Improved handling of really long URLs which used to make the note extend off the screen.

Ah, so somebody is listening to me! Thanks... However, you've not fixed it for all long URLs... I can still see many examples where the old bug remains! Here are three examples as shared Evernote notes:

Wrapping Bug Example A

Wrapping Bug Example B

Wrapping Bug Example C

The problem is only evident when viewed in Evernote for Mac (e.g. version 6.0.1) not when viewed online.

I downloaded Evernote 6 from the Mac App Store. It took 30 seconds ti load each note! I was frantic until I tried staring restarting my computer. That worked. Evernote should make a note of this in download instructions.

That worked for me too! (I swear I had rebooted in my early attempts to remedy the problem, but oh well) Finally, I can get back to working without a enraged look on my face. It makes no sense for an application such as Evernote to require a reboot of the OS. A simple quit/restart of the app should've been sufficient.

Please fix the UI by allowing us to revert to the old theme or allow customization.

Also several of my coworkers are reporting errors (in performance and capabilities).

BTW Is there a better (official) place to submit complains?

Thank you.

Please fix the UI by allowing us to revert to the old theme or allow customization.

Also several of my coworkers are reporting errors (in performance and capabilities).

Thank you.

These forums are being monitored, and therefore represent the best way to complain.

Thank you.

These forums are being monitored, and therefore represent the best way to complain.

Indeed.  Jack (Jackolicious) and Marcus (Softwaremarcus) read all the posts, and respond. I have a sneaking suspicion that they may actually agree with many of the complaints, but have to toe the company line so can't say too much.  However, they ARE responsive, and they DO engage in good polite debate, for which most in here are very grateful.

And going on the incredible number of complaints on this LONG thread, plus all the other threads that have been started on the same topics, it would appear that they are facing a chorus of complaint about version 6. But MOST of the complaints are about the UI, and while there are a couple of posters who actually like it, the VAST majority hate it.  And so many are first time posters who have signed in here specifically to complain about that UI.

Which begs the question that has been put several times - why not simply make most of the UI elements customizable, from toolbar to icons, from colours to translucency, from fonts to contrast, etc etc?  If that were to happen, then ALL of the complaints about the UI would simply disappear, leaving matters of pure function and real bugs as the topics to bring up.  I'd be pretty sure that Jack and Marcus would be much less aggravated if that were the case. ;)

Long term EN user & forum reader- new register to forum to highlight a crystal clear view for EN as to user experience. 

Laaurora has eloquently expressed how I feel also:

I’ve been your premium user for a while now, but you don’t see me on these forums making feature requests often.The reason is, I don’t feel I’m entitled to every feature I may possibly want. I paid for the app I saw, because the features it offered when I saw it were just right for me. Any new additions from that moment would be just a nice bonus. The problem is, you started to take things away. Somehow each major redesign you make adds a bunch of cool features that I don’t need and takes away something I actually care about. I keep paying same money for the app that gets progressively worse for me.

I use this product, as originally pitched, and as used by a number of 'power' users here on the forum, as my external brain. 

It concerns me that my external brain may start 'forgetting' how to do things it used to do easily; I already have my internal brain to do that!

Some of the new features are (currently) of no interest to me - e.g. chat, I don't want anyone else in my brain. However, provided they do not get in my way, I'm happy to ignore them and continue on, provided that the existing functionality continues to exist.  Who knows, perhaps in time I may find a use or interest in those new features, and they'll be there for me when and if that occurs.

BUT - If you remove the functionality I need/use, then your product becomes not relevant for my purpose - you lose a customer, rather than taking me with you.

I can not see my notes, only the previews. If I click on a note it is empty.

I am using OS X 10.8.5 and "was" updated today to version 6.0.

For me it is horror, cause I work everyday with evernote and everything I need I write down in evernote.

A mistake???

What can I do now. Can I get back to the old version ?

JJJ

Several DAYS for indexing????

Anyway.... I have restarted twice...notes come back, then disapear shortly thereafter.

It depends on the size of your database I guess. And did you try V6.0.1? 

I dont want to go through a full uninstall of the App Store version and reinstall.

Also, a lot of my notes are local, I don't want to export / import and take a chance on something getting borked.

Waiting for 6.0.1 on app store (or indexing in a day or two).

I posted this elsewhere, before I found this thread. If EN is interested, here is my experience:   I used 6.0 for 4 days. After much difficulty reading anything (I'm 49 y.o. with progressive lenses, FYI), I went in search of solution. I have now DOWNGRADED my Evernote to 5.5.2. MUCH BETTER. I could go on for an hour about the many, many ways the new design is impossible for me to use due to readability issues. But in short, there is no way under the sun that EN tested this with anyone in the real world who is over 40 y.o. and wears glasses/bifocals/progressive lenses. You must provide options for color, contrast, background color, text color, text size, zoom, etc. No way I will upgrade or renew my Premium sub until EN creates a version I can use.

I think I found another bug for the latest update - the keyboard shortcut for Copy Note Link no longer works.  Selecting it from the menu works fine, but not using the "control-option-cmd C" that used to work.  I have tried my keyboard viewer and it seems like those keys are still working, although trying to create the shortcut myself through the Settings app>keyboard>shortcuts has the same not-working result.

Has anyone else had this problem recently?  I tried searching but didn't find any reports from this latest version.

Hopefully this gets resolved, I use this shortcut a lot!

OMG, what they said.

What a mess. Went from a harmonious blend of greys, black and white to a stark landscape of blazing whiteness. No focus anywhere.

Ugly, fugly, FUGLY. A sheepish mis-following of Apple's questionable design aesthetic on Yosemite.

I've reverted back to the previous EN version and am hanging on to it for as long as it functions. 

Yuck! For the love of god, take it back or make it better. I love Evernote, but not this UI!  :/

I upgraded to 6.0 (app store version) with Yosemite and an current 13" MacBook with Retina display.

I was having the problem where my notes would take a minute to appear in the edit pane (the card/preview pane view was fine).  And then when they did appear in the edit pane, they were uneditable.  

And from the comments I've seen on the Canadian App Store, lots of people are having this same problem.

This WAS NOT an indexing issue.  Or if it is, the indexing feature must be horrid, because I have a sum total of 30 notes in Evernote - most of which are plain text with a few graphics here and there.  I let things sit overnight and 24 hours later the same problem recurred.

Luckily, I waded through the comments here to find that somebody suggesting rebooting.  This cured the problem for me.

I would really suggest that someone create a sticky at the top of this post with this fix, or even better, update the app store release to fix this problem.

I'm a relatively new user and seeing the update basically render the app unusable, had me very close to deleting it and finding another option.

Still, you think something like this would have been tested first....

Let me add one more thought to my previous comments:  the new look of 6.0 has nothing to do with my no longer using it and reverting to 5.5. I don't mind the way it looks in terms of "ooh, pretty....." that kind of look. The issue for myself and many who have commented is the new look is impossible to use. It literally HURTS my eyes and is very, very difficult to focus upon. I even have prescription "computer glasses" which work MARVELOUSLY with most everything else. But white on off white on light gray with tiny text and no color or contrast is HELL on my eyes. Really.

Who on earth has such a bad judgment to come up with this horrible UI?

The look is boring and eye irritant. How will I be able to use this 8hrs a day?

Just because apple did the mistake of ***** up the look of iOS and OS X, you did not have to follow them!

I wish I could have the old version back. But for now I will look for a replacement. The pain of migrating all my notes is worth it.

Oh the irony - that all the complaints here are about contrast and color. How about - invisible notes, renaming notes, and other completely ruinous results in functionality with the new release. It's a completely dead application how. I haven't uninstalled it, but I've removed it from my dock to keep me from accidentally launching it. The app is so buggy it's unusable and as such, if anyone tries to join the Mac Evernote community right now - they're wonder if/why/how it's possible that anyone actually uses this program to do anything. I've submitted support tickets, with no reply. And I've tried to sugar coat the situation to my sister who is using Evernote for the first time this week (talk about bad timing) after months of me suggesting she give it a go.

I hope the only thing holding up a fix is the Apple approval process. 'cuz if you all haven't actually figured out a fix yet, we've got some serious problems (more serious than one back version - serious, like, Evernote as a company is not up to the task of ensuring data integrity and application functionality to the 10 year mark, let alone 100).

HI Evernote.

I think that many of the problems your users (me included) experience are owed to the fact that you try to provide two different versions of Evernote for Mac. The one from your download site and one from Mac App Store.

I have worked 37 years in the software and computer business and it is my experience that you are trying to do something which is impossible. It cannot work as long as your employees are humans. Only robots could manage this task without making errors.

I have worked as an expert in parts of the worlds biggest business software product, SAP which is used by most major companies in the world. So I have a lot of experience in testing and version management between development systems, Quality Assurance systems and production systems. And in maintaining "the old version" and "the new version" during upgrade processes over longer time periods. It is a lost cause!

You can only reach a higher, consistent quality level of your software if you stop trying to have to "current" versions of the software for Mac customers. 

Also, even if you managed to do the impossible, there is still little old me. I cannot always remember if my software is downloaded form App Store or from a vendors Web site. So even if you didn't mess up, I will!

Earlier shared Notebooks are not shared as seen in Evernote Mac App, but in the online Evernote.com my notebooks are still sharing.

Can I fix this?

I am having the same problem. Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm running Evernote 6.0 on Yosemite and it's virtually unsuable!

Navigation is unbearably slow. Click up or down arrow and the program waits nearly 2 seconds before the key click is registered on screen. Typing is the same - Start typing and it's nearly 2 SECONDS until the characters start appearing in your note. The longer the pogram is open the worse it is but the issue is present even after a complete system restart.

We suspect that for some people the indexing takes a really long time.  This occurs in the background and is very computer intensive and could lead to slowness.  Please try leaving your computer on overnight to allow Evernote to finish indexing.  For some it might take a full day to fully finish.  After this Evernote will work faster than before.   Also there was a customer who rebooted his system after the indexing and that seemed to help.  Please keep in mind that most people are not running into this issue because they don't have the specific data that you have or there could be some sort of issue in your data that is causing the indexing to take longer than normal.  The forums make it sound like everyone is having the same issues and this is not true because the millions of people who have upgraded with no issues don't have a reason to come to the forums so you don't hear of an alternative view.  Please write back to this forum after a few days of indexing to let us know if this did or didn't fix the issue.  If it's not the indexing issue then we want to figure out a solution.

Actually, the program has been running non stop for nearly 4 days at this point. I have restarted the computer 3 times during that period. Evernote is still impossibly slow.

Previous version worked without issue - this is definitely somethign to do with the upgrade.

In a word. It's unusable.

• Level 5

What in the world happened to 'classic' note links?! Note links within other apps now open EN web instead of opening the note with EN for Mac.

I also agree that the column headers should be changed; tone down the transparency.

This is a bug already known by Evernote. Here is a workaround: Click the Option button before right clicking on the note in the note list and "Copy Classic Note" will appear.

• Level 5

Actually, the program has been running non stop for nearly 4 days at this point. I have restarted the computer 3 times during that period. Evernote is still impossibly slow.

Previous version worked without issue - this is definitely somethign to do with the upgrade.

My recommendation: uninstall V6.0, download V6.0.1 from the Evernote site and install it. This helped in several cases.

My recommendation: uninstall V6.0, download V6.0.1 from the Evernote site and install it. This helped in several cases.

anyone know when 6.01 is going to show up in the app store? chasing apps all over the web isn't exactly an ideal solution...

In general, I like the new design. I like the spirit of it, and where it's going. That said, I do have some qualms and issues, which I'll mention below.

I share similar feelings.  I like it; the update went fine and all of my notes, notebooks, tags, etc are in place.  All the parts I use are there, are usable and are readable.  As a premium subscriber, I'm happy with it.  But since there are so many suggestions going around, I'll chime it:

1. Some green would be great.  Just a little?

2. I use the "Side List View" and find that the blue outline of the selected note is a little inconspicuous.  Changing the background color of the selected notes in the list seems like it be clearer and easier to glance at, for me.

3. I miss the "All Notes" button.

4. +1 for customizable toolbars.  There are many buttons that I haven't used and would be happy to hide.  If this isn't possible, some option to automatically hide the toolbars above the note (the ones that include notebook name, tags, Skitch/annotate button, formatting options) until the mouse moves over them would help provide more note real estate on small monitors (like mine) and clean, clutterless workspaces.

Thanks!

FYI from a long time Evernote user that recommends the product to all my clients, the new monochrome white interface is personally unusable to me. I won't go into details as this is very much personal preference and many have posted on the forums why they hate the new color scheme. Please change the colors back to it's unbroken version or give us the ability to change the color scheme ourselves.

Luckily There are posts on how to downgrade to a previous version which I have just done.

EN tricked me again.  I should know to never upgrade for at least 2-3 months.  My bad.

Attachments are not shown inline, performance is awful ("blazingly fast" who are you kidding?), and somebody took the Yosemite aesthetic a bit too far as many have noted.

EN has a corporate culture which abhors testing, the philosophy is to "code and release, let the customers find the bugs for us."

The product has such enormous potential, but over and over again it overreaches on features and under delivers on quality.

I cannot find the link to download the previous version.  Can someone please post it again?  Thanks.

I'm glad so many people have chimed in about the horrific new interface. If they wanted to adopt a Yosemity look - I am sure there are millions of more visually pleasing ways to do this. A bunch of random people from the street could have done a better job at designing the look. Didn't Evernote mac win an award for the best designed mac app last year? To go from that to this??!!!

There are so many issues with this latest version of EN, I can't adjust any of the notes, it's buggy, I can't write any notes, nor save them etc.etc. Please downgrade to the previous version which was obviously a lot! better. I'm a premium user, if I have to pay for this I will not extend my subscription *not a happy user atm*.

Now I can't edit any of my notes in Mac I get a cursor but can't type, and they're still changing the titles all over to Untitled every time I touch a note. This is the worst Evernote update ever and couldn't have happened at a worst time when I have a long weekend and lots of time to do some organizing with Evernote. 

• Level 5*

This is stacking up to be the worst ever release of EN Mac.

After only 5 days, this thread is up to 263 posts, 14 pages, and the overwhelming majority of them are negative to very negative.

Evernote, I hope you are hearing this message loud and clear.

And my recommendation is uninstall 6.0 and 6.0.1 and reinstall 5.5. or 5.7. Dig around on this forum and find instructions for how to get it done. It's not that tough, and the older versions are SO SO SO much better at everything we love about Evernote.

I can not see my notes, only the previews. If I click on a note it is empty.

I am using OS X 10.8.5 and "was" updated today to version 6.0.

For me it is horror, cause I work everyday with evernote and everything I need I write down in evernote.

A mistake???

What can I do now. Can I get back to the old version ?

JJJ

jjj - I had the same problem. I eventually followed some of the advice on here, and deleted the version 6.0 downloaded via the App Store and did a fresh download (of version 6.0.1) directly from the Evernote website. That seems to have solved the problem for me. May not be the best solution, but it works. 

I followed these instructions:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67533-evernote-for-mac-56/page-4#entry304615

In fact, all i did was install the 5.5.2 version and let it download all my notes from EN servers. So, even easier than what was listed. SO MUCH HAPPIER back at 5.5.2. 5.7 was proving too difficult to install, so I went back and do not regret it at all. None of that context *****, etc. Just good old Evernote!

EN tricked me again.  I should know to never upgrade for at least 2-3 months.  My bad.

Attachments are not shown inline, performance is awful ("blazingly fast" who are you kidding?), and somebody took the Yosemite aesthetic a bit too far as many have noted.

EN has a corporate culture which abhors testing, the philosophy is to "code and release, let the customers find the bugs for us."

The product has such enormous potential, but over and over again it overreaches on features and under delivers on quality.

I cannot find the link to download the previous version.  Can someone please post it again?  Thanks.

Evernote you have created a mess and lots of people that used to sing your praise are now calling for your heads...

I think I can sum up why everyone is upset with you, they feel betrayed   Instead of working with your community, that has been loyal with you for years, and doing a public beta test you decided that "EVERNOTE KNOWS WHAT IS BEST" and pushed this and Penultimate 6 on everyone. Then started blowing your own horns on the success you have done. 

The line about "We need to follow what Apple says for design" are not holding much water with people.  Lots of programs have a unique UI that helps people get done what they want to get done.  UI is only part of it as you know, the other part is User Experience and right now that is LOW>

You have betrayed the trust of people by NOT working with your community to flesh out what they want.  You did a public beta of 5.6, why the heck did you not want to do this with 6.0?  Was there such a pride in Evernote that you did not want to ruin the surprise?  You showed it at the conference and in the public keynote, why not let us test it and provide feedback?

My suggestion is that you stop with the "We know what is best for you" and "We have a plan for this" lines and start a process of getting a LARGE group of people to test the next releases ASAP.

STOP pushed features not everyone will use "Work Chat", "Context"

START fixing the key program issues

STOP with surprise releases

START more beta programs

STOP trying to reinvent how we work

START making the current items we do easier

STOP taking away features we use

START allowing us to customize our experience

Ok...off my soapbox  :)

• Level 5

Got 6.0 from the Mac AppStore.  All my notes don't display.  The app is not responsive and I pretty much stopped using it in favor of the web.   :excl:  :excl:  :excl:  :excl:  :excl:

System Mac OS X 10.9

Please read SoftwareMarcus’s response here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/76662-evernote-for-mac-v60-and-v601/page-10#entry325989 and possibly upgrade to V6.0.1 from the Evernote site!

And for a secure removal and re-installation from 6.0 to 6.0.1 read this: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

And before you do this: create a backup especially of your local notebooks!!!!!

First off, I love Evernote. AND this version is my first BIG disappointment. Here's why...

The white-on-white design is VERY hard to read. Please see feedback from the Mac App Store.

Please bring back shaded columns, or an option to shade columns, to provide contrast.

Thanks,

Frank

• Level 5*

Marcus, again I want to thank you very much for engaging in a dialog with us, and sharing the Evernote perspective and rationale for making some of your design decisions.

Having said that, I’d like to respond to your issue #3:  Some people don't like the new design

To sum it up, you come across as blaming Apple for everything.  The impression I get is that you believe that Apple has some very strict UI guidelines (almost rules) that if you deviate from them in any way Apple will impose some type of hardship on you.  If I have misunderstood, please correct me.

Frankly, I find this extremely hard to believe.  Can you please provide some Apple references to support your understanding?

While I’m not an Apple developer, I have been a developer of Mac apps in the past, and I have done considerable research in the last few days to try to better understand the Apple Yosemite thinking and guidelines.  I have been unable to find anything that substantially supports the extreme UI design Evernote has CHOSEN for Ver 6.

I did find this from Apple, and believe that it is very relevant and useful:

1. OS X Human Interface Guidelines: Designing for Yosemite
  2. WWDC 2014 Session Videos - Apple Developer 
    (must use Safari to view videos)
    1. Adapting Your App to the New UI of OS X Yosemite
    2. Designing Intuitive User Experiences
    3. (there are many more, I just selected these 2)

In particular I found 2.1 Adapting Your App to the New UI of OS X Yosemite  to be very helpful in understanding the Apple Yosemite design intent.  I strongly urge you to view this video.

I have seen nothing from Apple that suggests that ALL Yosemite developers must use exactly the same UI design and color scheme.

Finally, I have to say this.  Even IF (and that’s a big IF) Apple did try to impose a UI design that really prevented the app from being effectively, easily, and intuitively used by the end user, would you really blindly follow Apple?  If Apple goes off a cliff, would you just follow them?  Remember the Apple Superbowl commercial showing IBM robots?  This is NOT what Apple is all about.

IMO, Apple strongly encourages creativity, but wants to provide for some commonality in UI elements so that users will find the same common functions (like cut, copy, paste) work the same across all apps.  They want common UI graphical elements (like window controls) to appear and work the same.  But, I don’t believe for a minute that they want to impose one, simple color scheme that greatly reduces readability (and therefore functionality) across ALL apps.

Apple has designed Yosemite to ENHANCE the user experience, as shown by the videos above.  They do NOT want to make it worse, as you have done with Evernote Mac 6.

Please bring in some fresh, but experienced, Mac UI designers to help you take a clean look at the UI design.  I’m not suggesting going backwards to the Ver 5 UI design.  Rather, I’m suggesting that you guys really go to work and come up with a Yosemite UI design that is BOTH cool, and enhances readability and the user experience.

Thanks for your involvement, and consideration of our requests.

Best Regards,

JMichael

This thread has become really long.  Let me try to summarize the top 5 issues I'm reading and talk about if the issues are bugs or not and if there are any workarounds.  And as usual there will be a dash of commentary (That's a joke since I'm typically long winded) .  Let me know if I'm missing anything.

. . .

3) Some people don't like the new design.  The bottom line is if you don't like Yosemite you are not going to like the new Evernote Mac design. Apple sets the design direction and all apps must follow.  As an example, some suggested we use green as a UI highlight to support our own branding and to add a little more color.  I get this and I believe it's a perfectly reasonable proposal.  I think the one thing that might not be fully understood is that Apple has decided that blue is the UI highlight color for Yosemite.  Take a look at selected checkboxes and the down arrow for drop down menus.  It's true that we don't necessarily have to follow Apple blindly but I think it's a losing battle to try to be too different than Apple's defined UX language.  Apple sets the standards and in fact if we use standard UX controls we get their look and feel whether we want it or not and Apple wants all apps to comply so that this UX language becomes well understood.  This is NOT fashion or trying to be hip.  Apple defines the Mac world our apps lives in and we can either join or be relegated to Siberia.  This is how all Mac apps are going to look within the next year.  Now you could argue we didn't do a good job of matching Apple's design aesthetic but it's not fair to litigate Yosemite's look and feel in an Evernote forum.  There are definitely tweaks we can and are making to improve readability but this is a major OS design change and we have to and want to follow Apple's lead..

I agree that EN6 on mac has problems:

1. It's definitely got some delayed reactions to keypresses, especially scrolling with the arrows.

2. What happened to the easy access to "ALL NOTES" when you're currently only looking at one notebook's contents?

3. How do I see that notebooks are shared? I used to see a little shared symbol next to the notebook if I used the pulldown. Now, nothing anywhere I can find.

I really like the new Evernote version for Mac. I like the new design and everything else, but the most important isnt working guys: TYPING!! Its too slow to type! Some kind of a lag... Im already using 6.0.1 version and getting a really bad experience on typing.

Interesting link to the UI guidelines from JMichael - interesting I note their link to some "System-Provided Images" for preferences, a couple of which EN 5 is closer than EN 6 ;)

"Color and Typography" also interesting, even though I personally dislike the translucency (and think it confusing) and for that matter don't like the change from Lucida Grande to Helvetica Neue, but even so it shows MUCH more contrast, and in testing I didn't see EN 6 use translucency on my work Yosemite(!?)

"Controls and Views" - lot of differences between both EN 5 and EN 6 if you read it a certain way.

Makes me think the "Apple Guidelines" is more attempted excuse than reason.... IMHO...

Anyway... for now at least... Work desktop was briefly direct 6.0.1 now reverted to direct 5.7.2... Work laptop remains at 5.7.2... Home laptop was App Store 5.5.1, now direct 5.6.2 (I disable most of the "Context" feature anyway as I don't like it, so little difference, I only want "my stuff")... All update checking disabled... See you at version 7 perhaps...

Regarding contrast

This is our highest contrast release ever. We've had this app reviewed by text accessibility experts. This was done for our users who have complained about legibility (including you JM :)

Were all of the text accessibility experts under 40 (no need for reading glasses)?

I run Evernote for Mac 6 on my iMac and MacBook Air, and on iPad 4 and iPhone 6+

Exploring the new version on my iMac made me think whether I've gone blind or not: where is the "Send Mail" button..? Some developers think that everyone wants to share everything on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, but we are many more that runs a business and DO NOT want to share a whole folder or just a single note with dozens of people. Give me back my "Email to"-button or tell me where you have buried it, so I can work with people, who does not use Evernote or FB, Twitter or any other social media..!

I run Evernote for Mac 6 on my iMac and MacBook Air, and on iPad 4 and iPhone 6+

Exploring the new version on my iMac made me think whether I've gone blind or not: where is the "Send Mail" button..? Some developers think that everyone wants to share everything on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, but we are many more that runs a business and DO NOT want to share a whole folder or just a single note with dozens of people. Give me back my "Email to"-button or tell me where you have buried it, so I can work with people, who does not use Evernote or FB, Twitter or any other social media..!

It's not so much that they want you to share it on Facebook or Twitter (as those have been prominently placed for ages, so this isn't anything new), its that they want you to use the new Work Chat feature to share notes and notebooks instead of email. They've thus relegated the Email feature to a "More sharing" sub menu. 

The easiest way to get to it is to right-click on a note and choose "More Sharing…" — "Email Note…" is at the bottom.

Evernote-sharing.png

I followed these instructions:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67533-evernote-for-mac-56/page-4#entry304615

In fact, all i did was install the 5.5.2 version and let it download all my notes from EN servers. So, even easier than what was listed. SO MUCH HAPPIER back at 5.5.2. 5.7 was proving too difficult to install, so I went back and do not regret it at all. None of that context *****, etc. Just good old Evernote!

EN tricked me again. I should know to never upgrade for at least 2-3 months. My bad.

I cannot find the link to download the previous version. Can someone please post it again? Thanks.

Following your advice I did the same thing. My Evernote version now is 5.7.2.

Here are my steps:

• Using AppCleaner it uninstalled EN 6.0.1
  • Then did the following steps that came from Evernote support:
  • Go > Go to Folder… in the menu bar of Finder
  • Copy and paste: ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/

or

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/

then select Go

• Move this Evernote folder to another location, such as your desktop
  • Rebooted computer.

After reboot I followed JMichael's link: 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/ wherein he has the download link for 5.7.2, http://bit.ly/113zBGA. When installed immediately Evernote launched, now in the process of syncing with their servers. So far life is good.

Thanks to everyone for helping my out of this unnecessary question - should be unnecessary at least. That just saved Evernote from losing a Premium client. However, I have to understate that it is a very non-intuitive place to stick this important feature. This is at least one more click than before, and I do absolutely not understand why the email button has left it’s place. It would be logic to keep it with all other share buttons... :-/ At least it made me angry on the chat-part, so I will probably never use that facility, and it also made me aware that I have to have a backup of everything stored on Evernote. You have made yourself a crack in a previously very charming armor...

/Frank

The easiest way to get to it is to right-click on a note and choose "More Sharing…" — "Email Note…" is at the bottom.

Evernote-sharing.png

Regarding contrast

This is our highest contrast release ever. We've had this app reviewed by text accessibility experts. This was done for our users who have complained about legibility (including you JM :)

Were all of the text accessibility experts under 40 (no need for reading glasses)?

The light grey in the card and snippet view are an obvious mistake, but other than that I actually do believe that EN team saw potential readability issues with all the sacrifices made for the UI to look modern and unified and invited experts to verify that text/background contrast ratio meets at least the most modest of requirements. I do feel that the form took over the function in quite a few places, that some text reads worse than it possibly could, that icons aren't looking that good on non-retina screens (which is something I'd wait before doing as 'Retina' screens in sizes comfortable for work are still in thousands of $$), but most critical text does stand out against its background enough to be readable.

I do wonder if there were any checks being made regarding the contrast of the layout itself though. For example have they checked the difference in time and comfort levels between finding let's say a '3rd item from the top in the 7th column on section A' and '2nd item from the bottom in the green column in section B', because this is where this new UI fails its users the most. There is no contrast between elements, no visual hierarchy. The eye is forced to look for the target on the whole canvas every time instead of finding a smaller block intuitively and only then spending resources on the search.

QBJ8Adt.png

I've said more than enough about the UI of the new version, which I hate, so I won't go on about it. Others are doing it for me.

I also read a TUAW "review" of the new version last night - it reads like an Evernote media release. But while the reviewer apparently liked it, the telling thing was that all the comments below the main article were extremely negative - just like this thread and others. Here's the link - this is the brief version - the one I read last night on my iPad had a whole load more comments, all in the same vein: http://www.tuaw.com/2014/11/24/the-new-evernote-app-for-os-x-is-a-joy-to-use/

But one point that seems not to have been mentioned - not only did they bury the Email Note function two deep in menus, but there is NO KEYBOARD SHORTCUT. They really are trying to make that function disappear, aren't they? They've already said they're "deprecating" that function - meaning they're phasing it out. I wonder if the chorus of complaints will make them reconsider that? It is another commonly used function that works and that many, if not most, people use. Why take away something that works - again???

Has anyone from Evernote acknowledged the disappearing title when you print a note? I know it was mentioned by a couple forum users at the very beginning.

Real tiresome... and definitely a bug (not a design flaw here).

M

Yes, it's a bug. I submitted a bug report ticket to EN and they acknowledged the bug and are working on a fix.

• Level 5*

I have been unable to edit or change ANY of my notes!  I'm using the Mac App store 6.0 version. Guys this is an unbelievably horrendous *****-up. What's going on???

Many users are reporting that it can take up to a day for EN Mac 6.0 (AppStore) to reindex all of your notes.  This may be causing the issue you are seeing.  Be sure that you have done a restart on your Mac, or maybe even do a restart now.

If after a day you are still experiencing this issue, you may want to switch to the Evernote Direct download version 6.0.1, or downgrade to a previous version.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

I used the instructions here to uninstall Evernote 6 and reinstall version 5.7. Thanks for that, people. 

So, at least Evernote did leave up older install versions for us to use... so good on them for that.

It worked for me and I'm back to an interface I like. 

I've said more than enough about the UI of the new version, which I hate, so I won't go on about it. Others are doing it for me.

I also read a TUAW "review" of the new version last night - it reads like an Evernote media release. But while the reviewer apparently liked it, the telling thing was that all the comments below the main article were extremely negative - just like this thread and others. Here's the link - this is the brief version - the one I read last night on my iPad had a whole load more comments, all in the same vein: http://www.tuaw.com/2014/11/24/the-new-evernote-app-for-os-x-is-a-joy-to-use/

But one point that seems not to have been mentioned - not only did they bury the Email Note function two deep in menus, but there is NO KEYBOARD SHORTCUT. They really are trying to make that function disappear, aren't they? They've already said they're "deprecating" that function - meaning they're phasing it out. I wonder if the chorus of complaints will make them reconsider that? It is another commonly used function that works and that many, if not most, people use. Why take away something that works - again???

They're phasing out the email function? That's a game changer for me. They might as well phase me out, too. 

• Level 5

We have no plans to remove the email note feature. We have deprecated it. It will remain accessible from the note menubar item for the foreseeable future. You can even add an OS X keyboard shortcut to that menu item if you'd like easier access.

We have no plans to remove the email note feature. We have deprecated it. It will remain accessible from the note menubar item for the foreseeable future. You can even add an OS X keyboard shortcut to that menu item if you'd like easier access.

That's a relief! Thanks!

I may have found some relief.

Goto System Preferences > Accessibility

Accessibility.png

On Mavericks, only the first two options are available. The transparency option is not present.

On Mavericks, the Enhance Contrast slider actually makes things worse. After just a few notches, the smaller text disappears entirely.

I agree with the posters complaining about the brightness and blandness. I understand that may be due to conflict between changes designed to move forward with Yosemite, not playing well with Mavericks. Maybe the testing was insufficient on Mavericks... maybe the test results were ignored. For whatever reason, the resulting display is terrible. Very hard on the eyes. Little contrast to help distinguish the different panels of data. As another poster stated: this is the first time I've tried calibrating my monitor to accommodate an app... unfortunately it did not help. I really hope EN will admit this was an error and roll back the interface changes as much as possible. I'm strongly considering reverting, though I see that is a multi-step process due to the database conversion.

Dear Evernote Developers

I'll put my hand up and make a point about e-mail, then about UI, as this is the place to do it right?

==================

For a lot of people that have not discovered Evernote, they use e-mail as a sort of 'crude Evernote'. They refer to their e-mail to refer to information that others have e-mail to them, they have e-mailed to themselves, refer to pictures, dates, appointments, research, diagrams, links from past communications. It could even be argued that Evernote is a sort of E-mail 2.0, in the sense that Evernote is an evolution of E-mail in that it not only lets us send research and information to others, Evernote lets us 'send' and 'keep' information resources for ourselves. Anybody with an interest in computer networking would understand that the E-mail protocol (informally speaking) is one of the oldest and widespread protocols of the Web, and it is amazing that it actually continues to exist today, despite the various security threats and modern networking protocols that have developed in recent years. Having said that, the ubiquity of e-mail in the modern workplace and personal home space is truly global. I have rice farmer relatives in rural Philippines that do not own a computer, yet they possess (and use) an e-mail address. 

Do you see the point I am making? E-mail is -still- important.

To have a readily accessible button in Evernote to share an Evernote Note with someone that does not have Evernote provides a bridge to convey information to those that do not have Evernote. They do not have Evernote. They may never have Evernote. A lot of my clients do not have Evernote and I do not expect them to. 

Interesting to note, this is a two way street. Power users will note that they have a special 'Evernote E-mail Address' that they can e-mail notes to, and it will be added to their Evernote database automatically. So you can see that on some level, there is a two way mechanism that was designed into Evernote to both input, and to output information via the E-mail protocol.

I am sure that many (all) users see that removing the button to share a note by e-mail, and relegating it to an ostensibly hidden, (or hidden away) method seems to deprecate the above fact that Internet mail is still the protocol of choice for sharing information between people on the Internet. To replace that button with a proprietary network chat program has three effects.

1) It makes me waste time trying to find an essential feature which has been hidden away. It was there. Now it is gone.

2) I cannot customise the button I see so that I can put it back. So to recap, it was there. Now it is gone. I cannot put it back.

3) The two points above make me wonder what kind of hubris would make a company think that forcing me to use a proprietary chat program would be better than e-mail, which, face it, is a global standard.

Now, this is just e-mail. Jackalicious, thank you for clarifying that Evernote has "no plans to remove the email note feature".

However, the fact that "we have deprecated it", despite the above makes me pause and wonder about what kind of corporate direction has been given to the designers and coders, so that this change would be directed from on high. I would not be surprised if at Evernote Headquarters, everyone uses Evernote and thinks that a chat program is wonderful. Sure. If everyone is working in a large corporate environment (cubicle farm perhaps) where it is faster to bypass e-mail and talk to each other by Evernote ...

However, the rest of us -do not- live in Evernote land. Try as hard as you might, and as much as the CEO might like, you cannot force feed us changes like this.

This is a little change. Perhaps someone will reply, saying 'oh, nothing has changed, it is still there'. But it is little changes in course direction that make me wonder whether Evernote is arbitrarily deciding for their users, instead of listening to their users. 

UI - Readability - Grey Text on White

=====================================

Noting that later editions of version 5 have 'deprecated' the email note button, I suppose I should not have been surprised that more drastic directions were afoot. I should not have been surprised to find the UI had been drastically changed. My e-mail has exploded with criticism of the uncomfortable, grey on white, minimalist interface.

I have already gone on the record to say that I frankly, along with the (uncomfortably true) majority of posters (and a lot of them new posters that found their way here specifically to comment) have reacted, and then responded negatively to the new design from a readability standpoint.

I understand that criticism can be expressed diplomatically and constructively, or harshly and emotionally. The fact is however, criticism is criticism, and I hope that there is some deep discussion back at HQ about how to better incorporate the changes Evernote feels it wants to make, with the practical requests for readability, usability, legibility, and customisation (at least, to some extent) to show that however big Evernote might be in confidently trying to incorporate new features, it can still humbly listen to its users and accomodate, if not make the users, their priority.

I note that it has been said that there are budgetary considerations that prevent customisation. That makes me smile.

How hard can it be to provide a 'classic Evernote' color scheme that allows those that use the v5 look to keep doing so (in v6)?  (and keeps those who love 'new things' chugging along in their all grey and white world of v6)

How hard can it be to provide an 'accessibility option that makes headings larger and provides distinct zones of colour for the different areas of the screen'?

How hard can it be to provide a small amount of customisation for the buttons in various areas, such as in Omnifocus or Curio so I could decide whether I want my buttons on my notes to be either 'send by e-mail' or 'send by chat' or even none or both?

The resources needed to make the above possible ... hmmm ... do you really think that it would be better to spend those resources on adding sexy new features?

Ah yes, there are many many many things that have been going on 'under the hood' that us users do not know about and are not giving Evernote enough credit for.

... to which I say, if you bothered to re-write the entire program, or at least significant amounts of code for version 6, why could the above not have been done?

Nightstalker has made the point, I think, that towing the corporate line that the UI change to version 6 is because of Apple Yosemite, and 'we are not going back' (to paraphrase) is trying to shift the criticism towards Yosemite, and Apple (correct me if I misread that). I found it interesting that he, and others, have made the point that they are not averse to Yosemite necessarily, but that other apps like Curio seem to have managed to shift to Yosemite, retain their visual identity, update their UI, allow customisation, and still keep users happy.

It is not Yosemite, or Apple's fault if you make your UI the way it is, and people react adversely.

Version 6 could have been better than version 5. Many are saying it is great on review sites. Review sites are often marketed to those that are looking at a product for the first time. On this forum, you are getting power users that are specifically finding their way here to respond to the design changes. If anyone were to suggest we are an extraordinarily biased sample base is a bit simplistic to me, in fact, I would say that those people that find their way specifically to post here (as I am many are) would be paying premium users from a professional background that wish to dialogue with the Devs. Customers who would be especially suited as guinea pigs testing your software, and our criticism should count for something.

I would not raise this (at the risk of it sounding ego-driven) but I am a lawyer. I consider my real job role to be as a 'master of information'. Information flows in and out of my professional and personal workspace and my job is to efficiently, and comfortably organise, sort, process, share (by e-mail), draft, store, archive, edit, adjust, direct, cull, categorise, read, recognise text and picture and pdf information and deal with it. Point is, that is relevant to why I have loved to use Evernote. That is relevant to why I am making an impassioned request for you Evernote developers to listen, and listen hard. As a power user, I thought the later versions of version 5 were FANTASTIC. I have been in touch with an Evernote power user who is in the medical field and he is also a rational, considered person who has a similar view. Version 5 is/was great. Version 6 is ... unusable. Two professionals saying the same thing. But there is more.

I recognise I am not special. Take for instance, a coder. A student. An entrepreneur. A builder of websites, or buildings, of businesses, a teacher, a plumber, a carpenter, or even one of the most hardest working persons, a mother with kids. These would all be customers of Evernote that like me, can use Evernote to manage information in this day and age. How is it relevant to us that the new UI is harder to use, hides various features, does not allow customisation (Surely the above categories would have various and different priorities for customising preferred buttons here and there). How come the different ages of your users, some old, new young, not be catered for from a useability perspective in terms of making your UI easy to read. Version 5 surely was. Version 6 surely isn't. I am not even over the age of 30 and I find the new workspace difficult to comprehend compared to version 5. Why the 'one size fits all' approach?

Do you think that Mum would have a need for chat instead of e-mail? Get real.

Several users have posted screenshots showing how hard it is to comfortably visually delineate within the new grey on white workspace. How many users that 'like' the new UI have put up photos showing how much they like this or that icon? Criticism has been short and long, and many are detailed. Praise has been one or two lines here and there. 

I actually laughed out loud when someone said that twitter was largely positive about the new design. Twitter. Twitter was largely positive about the magazine spread of Kim Kardashian's 'newly' unveiled posterior. Fact is, people were getting excited about the unveiling of an ass. Perhaps unfair to say apropos, but some might in this case.

Being subscribed to this thread, my e-mail has exploded with responses that are scathing of the new UI. Sure there are teething problems, but those are expected when the engine is re-written. What is more tragic is that version 6 was supposed to be -better- then version 5, but many are complaining about the unreadability of the new UI.

Fact is, many, most of the responses here (myself included) think version 5 is better than version 6. Customers are taking active steps to revert. Customers are looking for alternatives.

I hope that at Evernote HQ, there is some deep thinking going on.

As another user 'Laooura'? (forgive me if misquoted) has said, I say myself: "I find myself paying money, and with every update - getting less features"

Customers are asking for more a easy to read, customisable, functional, interface. We had most of that with version 5. Version 5 didn't look too bad either. 

Having tried version 6, I reverted to version 5. Ironically, I felt like I had upgraded.

I reverted from 6.01 to 5.7.2 by deleting this file:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/version

.. and version 5.7.2 launched just fine on a "migrated" database. Everything seems to be there and working. Activity log threw an error that went away after a restart.

This is a bit risky as I don't know what the 5.7.2 -> 6.01 migration changed, but it seems to work, and at this point we all have local backups, right?

Q: Why is Evernote still keeping the data losing / corrupting version 6.0 at App Store? Yes, they are working on it, but they should also PULL a version that corrupts data immediately to prevent further damage, no excuses. The acceptable level of data loss is surely zero, right? The longer that version is out the less sure it appears.

Nice to see so many people posting comments here, in ITunes and elsewhere commenting on the horrible new design, lack of ability to customise the toolbar (and get rid of the work chat buttons which 90% of the people will never use), context which doesn't actually pull anything useful.

If we want to chat to someone - we will use email - the rest of the world uses email, not Evernote chat. If we want to find more information - we will use the internet, not have Evernote pull random pages from the web, etc which are of no use to us.

I really think we need to keep these threads going until someone more senior, or more sensible reacts - and starts considering the needs of paying customers for a change.

Archived