ajschmidt

Text Collapse [Outlining]

Idea

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to use text collapse/outlining have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to use text collapse/outlining here!

• Like 3

Feature Request: I dont know where to submit feaure requests, so i sent it through here. Evernote's notetaking capabilitites are amazing and versatile. Within the text note, users can create outlines with the bullet feature. I would like to see a new feature where after users create bullets, indented bullets, and sub-bullets, users are able to collapse and expand the indented bullets in order to create a more simplified view of the their created outline document.

• Like 3

+1 from me, too. I use a packing list for travel, and have several different sections based on the type of trip. I'd like to collapse the types that aren't currently relevant.

Thanks for considering.

Jay

• Like 1

As a devoted Premium subscriber whose workflow relies heavily on Evernote, there is literally no feature I want more than this. 

• Like 4

+1 - is someone from the Evenote team watching this thread? This feature has been asked for for years now.

Being not immediately simple doesn't mean it can't be done.

Think of how useful this feature becomes when using Evernote's presentation mode: it clearly helps to make information easier to digest when looking at the main headlines, whereas you could focus only on the collapsed details in case the appropriate audience needs to know. Among the huge benefits of this functionality is time saving as you will not need to rework the information every time your audience changes, as is usually required in the case of standard document and presentation apps such as text editors, PowerPoint and Keynote. Collapsable bullet points bring the best of both worlds of bullet lists, mind maps and/or OPML applications to the fore.

For the sake of getting a better understanding of how well this concept works and to get a grasp of its usefulness, please, take a look at http://www.workflowy.com or their instructional videos.

Evernote coding team, I have every faith in your ability to bring this about and I am genuinely grateful for it. Keep up that excellent work you have been doing and feel proud of what you have achieved

• Like 6

I second this request! Collapsible bullets would be very helpful.

• Like 4

Collapsible list items are one thing I miss from Omnioutliner. On many topics -- from business strategy to research -- I frequently have the need to embed details into my note. Collapsible list items would allow me to do this while retaining the ability to collapse the details to see the big picture.

• Like 2

+1

The lack of this feature is literally the single driving factor for me to switch to Workflowy

This would be fantastic!! When I'm studying a certain topic, I like to have one note for that topic and use the bulleted lists to keep it organized. It would be amazing if you could collapse bulleted items, even if it were just the top level bullets, although I would imaging if you could do the top level, it wouldn't require much additional logic to get the nested bullets to collapse as well.

• Like 1

Yes, they have undertaken a huge task and I know that simple is a relative term.
They are rolling out all the time with new features, so I guess they are more than able to handle it  :)

• Like 2

Hey,

I would like to make a feature request for evernote to implement a text collapse, as seen in coding software such as Dreamweaver.

The idea is to make it a little bit easier to organise long lists.

Simply mark the desired text, collapse it and then you're able to toggle on and off and eventually remove the collapse when you don't need it anymore.

Here's a picture I found: 

http://www.creativepro.com/files/story_images/20050926_expand.jpg

It's a really simple feature, but it would make my Evernote life easier!

Philip A

Yes, I have been waiting for this feature for a while...it would be really really helpful! 

• Like 1

I quit holding my breath with Evernote a long time ago.  I have also learned that it is very risky to predict what they might, or might not do next.   ;)  But I am still hoping that Evernote will someday soon provide enhanced editing features.  I'm NOT asking for a full-featured editor like MS Word, just more basics that we see in a lot of other HTML editors.

Evernote CEO Phil Libin did say about a month or so ago that Evernote provides a "polished" writing experience.

Who knows what he means by "polished", but I haven't found anyone yet that believes that.

Now, I'm not sure whether that is good news or bad news.  If he really believes it is polished, maybe he thinks what we have is good enough.  Or maybe he was talking future tense, and wants to make it polished.  

Who knows???

. . . i will go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be implemented this decade, if ever. they just entirely rewrote the editor for mac without this feature, and the changes have yet to percolate out to the other platforms (as i understand it), so i wouldn't be holding my breath. it's a cool feature to have, of course, but i think it might be best to consider the editor as a fairly basic tool.

• Like 4

Perhaps because the most popular comment at the very beginning of the request includes "collapsible sections" and that likely influences people.. it is why I voted that up.  I don't spend lots of time here, and google sent me to that page, I agreed and voted it up in part because of the "collapsible sections" comment by one of the other "Gurus".  So, perhaps the Evernote team are not getting an accurate measure of the interest regarding this collapse feature... because some are voting for it on that thread, as much as they are bookmarks, rather than this thread.

I understand it isn't part of the original request, but obviously now it is prominent, and part of what people are noticing... at least it was for me and I might not be the only one. I have always been interested in both features. At first glance that thread seemed to reinforce my desire for both features.  I don't spend time here browsing through everything and making sure there isn't crossover.. maybe some moderators should do that.

Inline Tags _ Create Anchor Points in Notes - Evernote Feature Requests - Everno-2018-01-24 11_54.png

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

• Like 3

+1 as well!!!

I've been an Evernote user for over 9 years. I have over 6,400 notes, and use it heavily, on almost EVERY platform (windows, mac, android, iOS).  I use this tool constantly, and love it, but a basic tool like outlines for effective notes should be standard. Poor outline support has ALWAYS been frustrating, and I don't buy the answer many of the Gurus here have about going to an external tool. (Feels like a bit of Guru snobbery).  

As it still is today, after complaining many times for years, outlines are still a mess. They restart numbering arbitrarily, and often won't cleanly copy/paste from other tools (including, or at-least, Word). After this many years, Evernote shouldn't have these bugs, and it really should include standards like  I.1.A.a.i type indentation, ability to fix or restart numbering on a line, line movement, etc.

Expand/Collapse capabilities would be icing on the cake - absolutely awesome! But fundamental capabilities also must be addressed.

I have upvoted this thread, and the other related one in the enhancements section. 

It's a really simple feature...

..Not necessarily if you have to take apart an existing product to shoehorn the code in somewhere...  but it would be kinda nice.  Wikitext also has this option to show / hide lists.  I miss Wikis.

• Like 1

+1, though I'd much rather see this functionality implemented as true electronic outlining (expand/collapse any item to show/hide its children) in the Note body.

Be aware that one of Evernote strengths — that it works as seamlessly as possible on multiple operating systems — means that almost nothing is simple to implement.  "Get dressed" may seem simple.  It gets less simple when spoken to children.  Now imagine a room full of people of all ages from all over the world, each speaking a different language.  That's the task Evernote has undertaken.

• Like 6

Yes, they have undertaken a huge task and I know that simple is a relative term.

They are rolling out all the time with new features, so I guess they are more than able to handle it  :)

And they have a revenue stream any business would envy   ;) .  Afaict.

• Like 1

This is fine. Evernote staffers will read it and put it on the list; I'm pretty sure that it's there already, as this has been requested before. When/whether they'll actually implement it is up to them, though.

• Like 1

Feature Request: I dont know where to submit feaure requests, so i sent it through here. Evernote's notetaking capabilitites are amazing and versatile. Within the text note, users can create outlines with the bullet feature. I would like to see a new feature where after users create bullets, indented bullets, and sub-bullets, users are able to collapse and expand the indented bullets in order to create a more simplified view of the their created outline document.

requests are always welcome, of course, but i will go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be implemented this decade, if ever. they just entirely rewrote the editor for mac without this feature, and the changes have yet to percolate out to the other platforms (as i understand it), so i wouldn't be holding my breath. it's a cool feature to have, of course, but i think it might be best to consider the editor as a fairly basic tool.

• Like 1

Hey, it's great getting out in front and getting all the cool stuff, until you're lying in the mud with arrows in your back. I'm ok with waiting a bit for the common editor.  :)

• Like 1

Hey,

I would like to make a feature request for evernote to implement a text collapse, as seen in coding software such as Dreamweaver.

The idea is to make it a little bit easier to organise long lists.

Simply mark the desired text, collapse it and then you're able to toggle on and off and eventually remove the collapse when you don't need it anymore.

Here's a picture I found: 

http://www.creativepro.com/files/story_images/20050926_expand.jpg

It's a really simple feature, but it would make my Evernote life easier!

Philip A

Is there a status on this?

Does Evernote use uservoice? Or another method of indicating to users what features are being considered or worked on?

Hi.  Evernote don't (usually) comment publicly on anything that may or may not be in development,  nor do they forecast release dates.  The topic has been raised,  so it will have been noted by Evernote.  When or whether it will be released at some stage is entirely up to them...

Hi Jay and Dave,

As Gazumped pointed out a few posts back, there's no way to tell when or IF such a feature will ever be implemented by Evernote. Folks have been asking for a collapsible outlining ability for years now and there's still no indication that it's under consideration for future releases.

In fact, over the last year their company focus seems to be gearered more than ever towards the corparate world. If you look at the Evernote.com website, you'll notice the "Remember Everything" as their tagline has been dropped in favour of promoting EN Accounts as a Virtual Workstation, with an emphasis on collaboration through use of Chat Feature options.

That's not to say they've deprecated the app's notetaking ability or completely dropped the notion of using EN as a virtual filing cabinet for all your digital data. They've de-emphasised filing cabinet metaphor, but it still functions as such.

My best suggestion in both your cases is to take a look at WorkFlowy, a free, online outliner app that has the ability to collapse and expand text and lists. They've been around for years and come highly recommended by other users on this forum. WorkFlowly also intergrates nicely with Evernote. Below is a the link to their sign-up page:

https://workflowy.com/

This below is one of many user made videos available on YouTube, showing some of the cool things you can do with WorkFlowy.

WorkFlowy: How to Stay Productive and Get More Done, by Eric Heavilin:

http://youtu.be/Oo8grkujGd8

Hope this helps!

Collapsible list items are one thing I miss from Omnioutliner. On many topics -- from business strategy to research -- I frequently have the need to embed details into my note. Collapsible list items would allow me to do this while retaining the ability to collapse the details to see the big picture.

+1 from me, too. I use a packing list for travel, and have several different sections based on the type of trip. I'd like to collapse the types that aren't currently relevant.

Thanks for considering.

Jay

• Like 2

I would so so so love this feature.  I've been a longtime paid Evernote user and it's the main reason I have to use other note apps. Expanding/collapsing text/outlines is SUCH a more sane way to handle clutter and focus attention.  Websites this use this feature rock (i.e. Here's our 5 options --simple choice --you click one and get expanded paragraph) and I LOVE using it in Cloud Outliner (though just checked out the above recommended Workflowy...looks very cool. Offline though?)

Thanks!

-Leif

• Like 1

+1 on this request! For my power information user friends, this is the single biggest feature issue with Evernote as a primary workspace for people who manage information. Workflowy's model just works better for many areas... I like Evernote's outlining functionality, but adding collapse/expand would be a huge improvement for me. I'm a deeply committed Evernote user (paying, have the Fuji scanner, about 4k notes, I develop using the API, etc.) and yet I end up using Workflowy for many areas of research!

• Like 1

Collapsing bullets is a big reason why I still use Onenote for much of my "in depth" notes and I use Evernote for snippets of information. For code and configs, I use notepad++ since they also allow collapsing (known as folding in Notepad++).

Evernote, please implement collapsing bullets or folding or whatever name you would like to use to describe it. Thank you.

• Like 1

You know, I hope so. I started this thread a very long time ago and it's sort of disappointing that it hasn't been addressed by staff yet.

I would also like this feature. In fact, I just googled it and arrived here at this thread. It is nearly the anniversary of this thread, but I'm hopeful...

• Like 1

Huge +1 on this idea. I use Evernote Web frequently to take class notes or notes from textbooks and the resulting outlines can get huge and nearly unmanageable. Being able to collapse and expand list outlines would be an immense and welcome improvement. 

While I maintain that shorter notes and tags are the way to go (see my post above) I made a serendipitous discovery today. Alternote is a Chrome plugin which gives additional editing features for Evernote.  I use it mainly to make the cells of tables different colours. I discovered today that it has a fairly primitive "collapse child items" feature. It's by no means a complete solution but might be worth playing with.

ScreenShot249 copy.jpg

Workflowy is my list creator and collapser of choice,  and Table of Contents notes come a close second.  For many reasons it's better to have shorter notes than very long ones within Evernote,  and lots of shorter notes can form the basis for bigger paragraphs,  chapters and sections of a much longer document.  Moving the links around in a ToC note allows you to rearrange the content order without messing with the text itself.  Just sayin'

• Like 1

An excellent feature request! If this was implemented I'd immediately sign up for premium.

I would like to use Evernote for everything and don't like the idea of adding yet-another-thing to my ever growing list of productivity gizmos.

Guys,

I too would really like this feature. Although it is not available explicitly, it looks like there is a workaround using the encryption feature.  When there is long section of text in my note that i would like to collapse, i select the text then choose "Encrypt selected text".  To view in the future just double click enter your encryption password to expand

• Like 2

Definitely needs to be inside Evernote notes. I would mimic the same behavior of the best tool available.

Because Evernote should let me collapse a list into it's top Item, making it bold or with an icon to click.

My notes get toooo long and sometimes when editing from in my phone I get conflicts, I hate that.

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

An Evernote Note can contain content of any format.
Check out word processing software like MS Word.

Thanks I'm aware of that. I add Google Docs, Word Docs, PSD files, marked-up PDFs, you name it. Like I mentioned, I've been using this product for years and have used it to the fullest of it's potential. Nevertheless, a text collapse feature, like what is now standard UI on the web would be a wonderful addition to an already wonderful product. It's important enough to me that I took the time to honestly contribute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CraigD said:

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

It's clearly a must-have feature (already available in Onenote by the way). I'd "Plus" it twice if I could.

• Like 1

Although I'd still LOVE the text collapse feature, here's what I'm using as a compromise... meh...

Inline-Collape.jpg

• Like 1

Moderators - please tag this thread with "feature request"   - thanks

+1 as well!!!

Many, many years of frustration that this hasn't been addressed yet. My thoughts from another related post...

I've been an Evernote user for over 9 years. I have over 6,400 notes, and use it heavily, on almost EVERY platform (windows, mac, android, iOS).  I use this tool constantly, and love it, but a basic tool like outlines for effective notes should be standard. Poor outline support has ALWAYS been frustrating, and I don't buy the answer many of the Gurus here have about going to an external tool. (Feels like a bit of Guru snobbery).  

As it still is today, after complaining many times for years, outlines are still a mess. They restart numbering arbitrarily, and often won't cleanly copy/paste from other tools (including, or at-least, Word). After this many years, Evernote shouldn't have these bugs, and it really should include standards like  I.1.A.a.i type indentation, ability to fix or restart numbering on a line, line movement, etc.

Expand/Collapse capabilities would be icing on the cake - absolutely awesome! But fundamental capabilities also must be addressed.

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

I do question the need for a note that contains "older entries"

An example would be a weekly status meeting where new dated entries are added each week.  After the meeting this complete status, with prior history, is then emailed to a distribution.  Having this in one note makes this process much easier.  I've thought about using note links but that becomes unmanageable.

I second this request! Collapsible bullets would be very helpful.

+1

from an old user of DOS ThinkTank, GrandView, Tornado Notes, and recently Windows InfoSelect.

CP

• Like 1

That'd be awesome but you can just use a separate app for outlines and still organize them in evernote. The same goes for mind maps or any other files.

Not to poo poo this topic, but whatever the usefulness of having this kind of outline functionality, I think it's pretty unlikely that this kind of functionality would work across platforms, so I don't see it happening. Anyhow, I think it is fair to say that a lot of people want Evernote to do outlining :)

• Like 2

@grumpyMonkey, yeah that's true. I can't imagine this implemented in near future.

Well actually I can imagine but it's not going to happen LOL !

Still you can have this functionality by using additional tools - no need to wait for evernote team to implement it... Separate tools would also be better because they are focused on just one thing and do it great.

• Like 1

Still you can have this functionality by using additional tools - no need to wait for evernote team to implement it... Separate tools would also be better because they are focused on just one thing and do it great.

I totally agree. One of the things I like about Evernote is that it doesn't have feature bloat and it does what it does well.

• Like 2

It is not clear how a new feature gets approved inside of Evernote.

It seems unpredictable.

I have watched feature requests like "Note Links" be requested for several years by many users, all the while the usual reasons for NOT implementing the feature were repeatedly given by Evernote and some of the evangelists.

Then one day, boom! An EN Blog was published releasing Note Links. The marketing made it sound like Evernote had just discovered/implemented one of key features of all time. :-)

So while no one should count on a new feature request, it never hurts, IMO, for users to keep on making the request for it.

• Like 4

Note links are essential imho, I always wanted to use them before they were added but didn't expect evernote team to implement them. So yeah, it's true - you never know. Outlining could be done with a separate app so it doesn't matter to me if they add it or not. If they do it'd be awesome, if not - that's fine too..

I really like all the features they added to windows client over the past year or so - note links, tabs to search for tags. It's exactly what was missing for me.

Looks like they know what they are doing ! LOL

Only problem is iPad client at the moment...

It is not clear how a new feature gets approved inside of Evernote.

It seems unpredictable.

I have watched feature requests like "Note Links" be requested for several years by many users, all the while the usual reasons for NOT implementing the feature were repeatedly given by Evernote and some of the evangelists.

Then one day, boom! An EN Blog was published releasing Note Links. The marketing made it sound like Evernote had just discovered/implemented one of key features of all time. :-)

So while no one should count on a new feature request, it never hurts, IMO, for users to keep on making the request for it.

yep. you never know, and it never hurts to ask.

links, though, are pretty widely supported across platforms inside apps and, of course, in browsers. this is just a guess, but i think outlining is tricky beyond the basics that you can get with something like <ul> or <li> in html. nevermind any of the evernote app-specific obstacles that might exist.

if evernote can pull it off, it will put them well ahead of a lot of competitors. if not, i'll be ok. as suggested above, there is always copy / paste from other apps if complicated outliing is really necessary.

I would really like to see a collapsible tap feature because some of my notes get a little too long to be able to scroll through them easily.

Sometimes I make secondary notes and link to them, or I try to make my details smaller and my headers bigger to provide the easy visual scanning of my note content that I'd like. However, it would be great if there were collapsible bullets, such as [+] and [-] type of symbol, that would function just like the checkbox--with a single click on any platform.

• Like 2

Yes, some kind of collapsible region (think visual studio style), or collapsible zone will be highly useful for me and many people I know that use evernote too.

Sometimes I copy and paste HTML / programming codes into evernote, but I don't want to see it all the time. I only need it when I want to refer to it and expand to view it. +1

I'm very close to move to:

http://www.circusponies.com/downloads

Just because it has this feature.

Regards,

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Circus Ponies is a very good app, and it arguably does a better job than Evernote with outlines. To be honest, a lot of other applications do this or that better than Evernote. In the end, you have to choose the application that best fits your use case, so you should make sure to look around at your options.

There are trade-offs to be made with each application, and in the case of Evernote, it often has fewer features / less powerful features than apps designed to work on a single platform.

On the other hand, Circus Ponies only works on a single platform, and Evernote works pretty much everywhere. This thread is for Windows users, and as far as I know, Circus Ponies has no app for Windows. 

In short, I think if you want an app that will work no matter what platform you are using, then Evernote is the best solution. If you know that you are only going to be using a single platform, then you may have more options, though even then, things like shared notebooks, powerful searching, etc. will be out of your reach. 

• Like 1

+1 for collapsible outlining

(representing users grown up using microsoft word outline view and microsoft onenote bullets)

After almost 10 years of using OneNote under Windows, I just received my new MacBook Pro, and I chose Evernote (over read-only Outline) to be its replacement.

One feature I'm really missing is the ability to collapse indented text with a simple click to the left of its parent.

Is this in the works or at least on the radar?

After almost 10 years of using OneNote under Windows, I just received my new MacBook Pro, and I chose Evernote (over read-only Outline) to be its replacement.

One feature I'm really missing is the ability to collapse indented text with a simple click to the left of its parent.

Is this in the works or at least on the radar?

Hi. Welcome to the forums! Your suggestion has been made before, I am sure the developers have seen it, but no one is commenting, and they have a policy not to comment on anything behind the scenes, so you are unlikely to hear anything.

My guess would be that this will not come to Evernote in the near future. Evernote has to work across platforms and it is based on a kind of website code called .enex, which isn't terribly adept with this kind of stuff (in my experience). It is probably possible to do, but unlikely.

More importantly, I'd design your workflow around the app that is, not the app you want it to be, or the app it may become in the future. It's great to make suggestions (I do it on a daily basis!), but you never know if or when something will get implemented, and even if it comes to the app, it may not appear quite the way you want it. Basically, there are tradeoffs with any app (as I am sure you know), and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches adapting yourself to what's available. In this case, I'd say goodbye to collapsible outlines. Have you tried a Table of Contents (internal note links)? These can be a handy way of tying together a bunch of notes into one so that it functions much like a collapsible outline.

Following on from Grumpy's comments - we're good with workaround suggestions here..  coming from a Wiki background I'm also a fan of collapsing paragraphs,  and my alternative here has been inter-note links.  Not as elegant as having the information available on the page,  but it's pretty easy to highlight a paragraph,  copy it to another note,  and replace the original content with a link to that note. The drawback (apart from the mechanics) being that your links can either be local - which basically works on one computer only,  or URL based,  which means you've shared that note publicly.

Couldn't agree more: Expandable/collapsible paragraphs would make my notes a lot easier to navigate.

I'd love that feature, and am considering changing to other apps that have it.

Couldn't agree more: Expandable/collapsible paragraphs would make my notes a lot easier to navigate.

I'd love that feature, and am considering changing to other apps that have it.

Hi - welcome to the forums.  If you do find a better alternative please let us know here - there's no bar to using apps with or instead of Evernote if they do a better job.

PS - I now know I lied in a previous post.  Inter-note links are 'portable' (though I'm not sure they're universally so) in that they use a UID which will find your note in any Evernote client including the web version.

Think of how useful this feature becomes when using Evernote's presentation mode: it clearly helps to make information in notes easier to digest when looking at the main headlines, whereas you could focus only on the collapsed details in case the appropriate audience needs to know. Among the huge benefits of this functionality is time saving as you will not need to rework the information every time your audience changes, as is usually required in the case of standard document and presentation apps such as text editors, PowerPoint and Keynote. Collapsable bullet points bring the best of both worlds of bullet lists, mind maps and/or OPML applications to the fore.

For the sake of getting a better understanding of how well this concept works and to get a grasp of its usefulness, please, take a look at http://www.workflowy.com or their instructional videos.

Evernote coding team, I have every faith in your ability to bring this about and I am genuinely grateful for it. Keep up that excellent work you have been doing and feel proud of what you have achieved

This is one of the nicest features of workflowy and the main reason why I still use it on occasion.  I would also like to see this come to Evernote and I agree that it would be particularly useful in presentation mode.

I would like to see this feature. Anyways I give my support! :)+1

+1

for 2 reasons or usages:

- Long Notes simpler to handle

- A privacy feature: no, I'm not talking about hiding sensitive data where encryption is used, but it requires typing a password, waiting several seconds EN to decrypt (on my Android device) and type password any time I open the note.

I'm a sales agent;

I keep quotations with me on the road on different EN notes; when a client hasn't the printed quotation with him, I can (must) show it on my EN app.

But where can I save quotation discounts, notes, known competitors, ...  not to show them to my customer?

• I can create a linked note: not so easy to handle (especially on mobile devices), duplicated notes for same subject, waste of time and space
  • I can create an attachment and put this notes inside it (solution I'm using right now): waste of time, handling external apps to manage attachment (especially on mobile devices where attachments are harder to handle)

With a dropdown feature, all this would be much easier and faster to achieve

Cheers.

G

• Like 2

+1!

Just switched from Notepad++. Clearly the functionality in Evernote is much greater, but being able to quickly add collapsible regions/folds to notes (preferably with the option to use some text signifier for the start and end of the fold . . .) would be killer. 

I think that in some situation have the possibility to collapsible portion of text will make more readable our notes... something like SPOILER buttons on forums.

Example: I have a ToDo note like this:

[ ] Install software X[ ] Configure software XSome text about software X Documentation:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse tortor mi, blandit in gravida sit amet, pharetra quis diam. Cras varius sodales porttitor. Morbi nec aliquam massa, eget laoreet nunc. Integer finibus leo ut convallis vestibulum. Integer feugiat auctor eros pellentesque volutpat. In consequat lacus eu metus venenatis consectetur. Donec nec ornare tellus, non sodales elit. Maecenas quis lacus aliquam, bibendum dolor in, placerat purus. Donec eleifend mi a ante congue, a aliquet elit convallis. Fusce dui massa, suscipit eget facilisis id, tempor a turpis. Quisque non dui non orci finibus pulvinar non at ante. Ut maximus nec mauris accumsan sodales.[ ] Install software Y[ ] Configure software YSame text about the Configuration of software Y:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse tortor mi, blandit in gravida sit amet, pharetra quis diam. Cras varius sodales porttitor. Morbi nec aliquam massa, eget laoreet nunc. Integer finibus leo ut convallis vestibulum. Integer feugiat auctor eros pellentesque volutpat. In consequat lacus eu metus venenatis consectetur. Donec nec ornare tellus, non sodales elit. Maecenas quis lacus aliquam, bibendum dolor in, placerat purus. Donec eleifend mi a ante congue, a aliquet elit convallis. Fusce dui massa, suscipit eget facilisis id, tempor a turpis. Quisque non dui non orci finibus pulvinar non at ante. Ut maximus nec mauris accumsan sodales.[ ] Do some other work ZSame text about what I done and what I have to do to finish this step:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse tortor mi, blandit in gravida sit amet, pharetra quis diam. Cras varius sodales porttitor. Morbi nec aliquam massa, eget laoreet nunc. Integer finibus leo ut convallis vestibulum. Integer feugiat auctor eros pellentesque volutpat. In consequat lacus eu metus venenatis consectetur. Donec nec ornare tellus, non sodales elit. Maecenas quis lacus aliquam, bibendum dolor in, placerat purus. Donec eleifend mi a ante congue, a aliquet elit convallis. Fusce dui massa, suscipit eget facilisis id, tempor a turpis. Quisque non dui non orci finibus pulvinar non at ante. Ut maximus nec mauris accumsan sodales.etc

Imagine it 4/5 times that!

Now, imagine with collapsible block text. We are going to see only the text we need in that moment and hide it when we are going to the next step.

For example I'm at the Configure Software Y step so I SHOW only that block text and I HIDE "Documentation about Software X" and the text about "work Z" and the note will look like this. SHOW and HIDE are clickable off course.

[ ] Install software X[ ] Configure software XSHOW - Some text about software X Documentation:[ ] Install software Y[ ] Configure software YHIDE - Same text about the Configuration of software Y:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse tortor mi, blandit in gravida sit amet, pharetra quis diam. Cras varius sodales porttitor. Morbi nec aliquam massa, eget laoreet nunc. Integer finibus leo ut convallis vestibulum. Integer feugiat auctor eros pellentesque volutpat. In consequat lacus eu metus venenatis consectetur. Donec nec ornare tellus, non sodales elit. Maecenas quis lacus aliquam, bibendum dolor in, placerat purus. Donec eleifend mi a ante congue, a aliquet elit convallis. Fusce dui massa, suscipit eget facilisis id, tempor a turpis. Quisque non dui non orci finibus pulvinar non at ante. Ut maximus nec mauris accumsan sodales.[ ] Do some other work ZSHOW - Same text about what I done and what I have to do to finish this step:

Some ideas/inspirations:

Something like SPOILER buttons on forum

http://www.foldingtext.com (GREAT!)

http://snippets.wikidot.com/code:collapsible-text-block

It's called outlining and has been discussed on here a lot.

Given that the Mac app has the latest editor and does not include this functionality I'm guessing it won't be happening in the short to medium term (if ever).

+1,

-- And while we're at it, how about making collapsible tables too (kind of like Excel's Outlining feature)?

Feature Request: Add Outlining Capabilities to Evernote

Evernote is great, but it's dying for the ability to create Notes that contain Outlines which are easily collapsed and expanded during creation and in use.

One way to implement it would be a switchable editing mode, between standard formatting or outline mode.

In outline mode, pressing the Enter key creates a new outline item, and pressing the Tab key changes the current item into a sub-item.

Clicking on an item's action icon causes its sub-items to collapse out of, or expand into view. That's the way the Ecco Pro PIM did it, and something simple like that would be a good start for Evernote.

The name Evernote implies a product that takes notes -and collapsible/expandable outlines are a huge part of note taking.

Any status on this?

Afraid not. It's a much requested feature on this Forum, but there's no way to know when, or if, they will implement it. But, if folks keep asking it might, eventually happen.

In the meantime, you'd be better off looking at apps like Workflowly, which I believe intergrateds well with Evernote.

Feature Request: Add Outlining Capabilities to Evernote

Evernote is great, but it's dying for the ability to create Notes that contain Outlines which are easily collapsed and expanded during creation and in use.

One way to implement it would be a switchable editing mode, between standard formatting or outline mode.

In outline mode, pressing the Enter key creates a new outline item, and pressing the Tab key changes the current item into a sub-item.

Clicking on an item's action icon causes its sub-items to collapse out of, or expand into view. That's the way the Ecco Pro PIM did it, and something simple like that would be a good start for Evernote.

The name Evernote implies a product that takes notes -and collapsible/expandable outlines are a huge part of note taking.

Any status on this?

+1 on collapsable lists

Also an "outline" mode would be nice. It would just change the keyboard shortcuts within a small part of a document
(so that tab indents lists in the way you expect)

I use WorkFlowy.com for my master outline of Collapsible / Expandable tasks and reminders.

When needed, I export the open items into Evernote or OneNote for reference. 

I created an account just to search for this keyword and I found this topic!

+1 for this! :D

Definitely! +1 on this feature.

Evernote MUST have collapsible items as it already has listitems and checkboxes...!

I had to create an account on Workflowy to try their alternative 

• Like 1

This is primarily a user forum, if you have a direct question and would like a direct answer then you should open a support ticket.

++++++++1 For business people must!

Thank you so much for such a great product. I use it every day.

I have a business plan as a list of milestones, but I also want to write down more details/subgoals/todos for each milestone. Would be awesome to have an ability to expand and collapse these todos, so I can easily switch between whole and detailed picture quickly.

Evernote has everything what I need to be efficient with task planning activities, except this feature. 

Let’s make it the best Goal management tool!
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I just moved this thread to the Windows Feedback forum so we can vote on it.

If you want this feature, then you need to go to the top of this page and click on the UpVote arrow:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

• Like 1

Hope,  I believe they say,  springs eternal - which is just as well because that's also the way Evernote's development schedule seems to work sometimes...  meantime there are lots of useful outliners around that will do a similar job - like Workflowy.

Here is a thread with essentially the same request, but since it is in the Windows Feedback forum, you can vote for it:

Collapsible / Expandable Outlines within Notes 

If you want this feature, then you may want to go to the top of the page of that thread, and click the Up Vote button:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

Unfortunately, we still cannot vote in the General Discussion forum.

Of course 1000000 x !

really love Evenote but have to use Omnifocus in parallel because of this gap ! I think we really need a Collapsible / Expandable outlines within Notes, & the same for notebooks, having the possibility to make sub notebooks !

• Like 1