Toggle list

ajschmidt
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

+1.  I use bulleted lists all the time in Evernote for lists/outlining. If they get longer than a "page" (what is visible on the screen at one time) or have more than a couple of levels of hierarchy it becomes a bear to try and read/write. You have to constantly scroll up/down to figure out where you are in the hierarchy. I've switched over to Workflowy for some of my lists, but I really wish I didn't have to have notes in multiple places. I have to constantly remind myself where it is. Did I put that in Workflowy or Evernote? This would seem to go against the Evernote brand tagline: Remember Everything. Please add this feature, Evernote! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/1/2016 at 7:36 AM, gazumped said:

Edit:  Apologies in advance that this sits in the Windows area - there isn't a general 'all OS' option yet,  but I'm taking it that everyone wants this to apply to ALL Evernote clients.

There is now. Fixed that for you, gaz. :) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

This feature request is really OS independent.  Shouldn't it be combined with the same feature request under General Discussions?

Maybe now that they have a common editor (though I don't know exactly how widespread its use is), that's probably a good idea.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Keithen said:

Here it is a year after Michael made his proposal. I got here because i was trying to find out how to do hide and show in one of my notes that is getting very long. So i at least want to second his suggestion.

Hi.  The more votes each suggestion gets,  the more significance Evernote will assign to it.. so after a year and zero votes...

The original advice is still good - don't do long notes,  do lots of short ones...

• Like 1

Another up vote!

I often save details like code and log file snippets that are essential to keep for reference, but I don't always want to scroll past them in the note. I put them at the end now, but it sure would be handy to place them in line/context where they belong.

As @JMichaelTX pointed out. 

There is a near identical request in the Windows Desktop Product Feedback  with +61 votes.

How many folks here would chip in for donuts to the development team that rolls this out? I know I would!

PROBLEM:

Sometimes I have multiple PDFs, images, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on a related topic. I want to keep related documents grouped together but adding them all to one note makes it extremely difficult to find what is needed because the documents all seem to run together.

SOLUTION: 

1. Make it easy to place a number of documents in one note in condensed format. Contents should display as a sort of outline of all contents contained therein. Will promote increased organization and easy access.
  2. Create collapsible sections within a note. Each collapsible section has a label/title to identify a sub-topic in the note.
    1. Collapsible sections function like grouping rows in MS Excel allowing you to quickly collapse and expand similar data to create more useful views.
    2. Expand / Collapse button (triangle) left of the title to view or hide section contents.
  3. Within the section, individual documents are displayed with a title and image of the first document page.
    1. Document display concept is similar to how Windows Explorer displays multiple documents in a folder. You see an image of the first page and a label (could be the document name OR user created title).
  4. Moving collapsible sections. In cases where a note contains one document.
    1. Create a collapsible section containing the document.
    2. Right-Click on the collapsible section and select "Move" to move the section from one note to another note.
  5. Within a note you can drag and drop documents between collapsible sections via their document image.
    • Sections can be reordered by dragging and dropping the section title.
  6. Viewing Content
    1. Single click on document image to expand and read it.
    2. Double-click to open it in a separate window or app.

Edited by PGD
Misspelling
  • Like 5
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, PGD said:

PROBLEM:

Sometimes I have multiple PDFs, images, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on a related topic. I want to keep related documents grouped together but adding them all to one note makes it extremely difficult to find what is needed because the documents all seem to run together.

I'm not seeing Evernote as the tool for this.  
The editor is good for notes, but I don't think of Evernote's core function as a word processor

fwiw  I keep the my notes short, and use links to "sub notes".
          My version of expanding a section is double clicking a link.
          To compress the section, I click on the back arrow

• Level 5*

My response is different from the prior two.  Evernote is not the "current" tool for this, but I agree with you that it should be added.  In at least my opinion, collapsible sections would be a very welcome and useful enhancement to Evernote.  If you need something immediately then definitely take a look at Workflowy.  Its implementation is very smooth.  The table of contents approach with short notes is helpful but not useful in all work flows.  

There are a couple of other requests for this in the forum.  Here is one that you might want to upvote.

In a nutshell:
If possible, Evernote should try to implement a feature that allows u to hide and unhide sections by clicking on a headline.

Background:
I myself am a medical student, and when I write notes in Microbiology I typically make a notebook for that class, and notes on the bacterial genera (see screenshot). In these notes there are typically around 5 different bacteria with detailed descriptions about structure, clinical disease and so on. This arrangement works, but feels a bit overwhelming when I revisit my note. Too much information...

Solution:
However, if I could hide and unhide the different bacteria (by clicking on the 'headlines') it would make it so mush easier to review my notes and find the things i'm looking for.

Hope it makes sense. If implemented correctly I'm sure this could be a GREAT HELP for many users.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 12.50.54.png

There's a chrome extension called "AlterNote Editor" that syncs with your evernote, and it has basic collapsing functionality. Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult for evernote to implement if a third party is able to do it. But hey, maybe there's some technical reason they're holding off on it.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, pnewcomb said:

There's a chrome extension called "AlterNote Editor" that syncs with your evernote, and it has basic collapsing functionality. Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult for evernote to implement if a third party is able to do it. But hey, maybe there's some technical reason they're holding off on it.

I think having a kazillion other things already scheduled might be part of it...:)

I'm a self-employed producer/musician, I hold the fabric of my life together in the Evernote app (which was an ENORMOUS upgrade from Apple's Notes.) What I am dying for to appear in any notes program, is the ability to make a folder inside a note; I want to be able to, within a list I've made in a note for example, be able to click on one of my list items and it would drop down a text box where I've expanded on the idea that I've put in my list. I can not believe that it's 2016 and our organizational softwares are still one dimensional!! For me this would be a HUGE game changer in my ability to store ideas but still be able to look at the major points from a bulletpoint format. (read: without having to make a new note or some kind of complex table, just to write about a small point I've made in a note.)

If this is possible and I just don't understand how to do it, I humbly withdraw my comment. And please let me know how to do that! Let me know if I can be more clear, happy to expand on this idea. Do let me know if anybody else thinks this would be INFINITELY USEFUL!!!! 

Evernote with text collapsing will remove all other Outliner software. I read all threads, and noticed the original suggestion was made in 2014. Currently, I use multiple software, OmniOutliner (Mac), UV Outliner (Windows). If Evernote introduces the collapsing text feature, I will subtract all other software, and can totally focus on it. Because of shortage, I use Evernote only as a web clipper and simple note taker, which make me remained in free user state. The new feature will boost my usability, and finally make me sign in the premium feature. Thanks.

• Level 5*

On 2016-12-29 at 4:26 PM, jamestakesnotes said:

What I am dying for to appear in any notes program, is the ability to make a folder inside a note; I want to be able to, within a list I've made in a note for example, be able to click on one of my list items and it would drop down a text box where I've expanded on the idea that I've put in my list.

fwiw  I create a new note (sub-note) and include a link in the master note
         The navigation arrows allow me to move back and forth
         For example: 
Project: aaaaaaaaaa                           (master note)
                               Project: aaaaaaaaaa - bbbbbbbbbb  (sub-note)

1 hour ago, TSung said:

The new feature will boost my usability, and finally make me sign in the premium feature.

If Evernote had a $ for every user that said .......

• Like 3
This morning, I opened up Evernote to create some notes about a project that I am the leader for.  As I started writing, it became apparent that an outline form would be more appropriate.  So I clicked on the bullet icon, and started adding thoughts and ideas in a bulleted format.  When I was looking over the document, I realized that I needed to move some of the bullets around.  So I clicked on one of the bullets, and tried to drag it up, but nothing happened.  Of course not.  Because your app does not support true outlining functions like Workflowy.

Please understand that this is not a letter of complaint, but a letter of admiration for the work you have done on your app and a plea to be a little more responsive to the needs of your users. 

I’ve been a premium member of your app for some years and during those years I turned many others on to it. I used it to collaborate in joint projects, also used it for sharing documents that I want feedback on. I absolutely love using the clipper extension on my browser for saving various versions of a webpage to Evernote. It has been one of my primary go-to apps for doing research and organizing. However…

However, I am writing in the past tense because, as my work has evolved, so has my needs, and I am finding that I have to lean on a couple of other apps these days to make my work easier for me and my collaborators.  There are specific shortcoming of EN that have driven me to rely more on other apps.  I have written to support in the past about some of these, and while there was some upgrades that made it easier for users (list view at top, duplicating notes, etc), the blaring one that has not been addressed is the outline function.

I sent this to you back in 20150710

"I love that I can create documents in outline form, both bulleted and numbered.  It is my preferred way of sorting a complex project into its sub-sections, etc.  It would be so much better/easier/faster if I had the ability to move bulleted items up and down and re-arrange a list, again, without having to cut and paste.  Sometimes, when I have an outline with multiple indents, C&P gets a little cumbersome and sometimes it just does not work.  I really don't like having to use the MS Word to work with my lists/outlines, etc, but currently that is my only choice, unless I am not aware of how to move around a list/outline."

Of course, not too long after I wrote that, I discovered WorkFlowy, which by far has the best outlining technology I’ve come across, making MS Word totally obsolete in that respect.  Unfortunately, Workflowy does not have the formatting and note management ability of EN or Scrivener. So I use both EN and WorkFlowy, which gets a little cumbersome, because they don’t (can’t?) talk to each other.

And then there is the limited text processing functions of EN. I have now taken to using GoogleDocs, which has almost totally replaced MS Word for me, for creating work that needs collaborator’s input and comments.  I find it a lot easier to convince many partners to use GoogleDocs for sharing and collaborating, there is no emailing, no back and forth. I write an article, give various sharing options to others, and I get their comments in real time, sometimes as I am writing the document. And since apparently everyone out there uses GoogleDocs, and the learning curve is almost none, everyone so far has agreed to use GoogleDocs to collaborate on a document.

So in my world, I use Evernote for clipping articles for reference -both on my iPhone and Mac; I use Evernote for creating Stacks, Notebooks and Notes for each Department and Division of my work that I am responsible for; I use Evernote for jotting down insights, ideas, etc. as they come to me.

This part EN does wonderfully.  However, I also have to use Workflowy to organize my universe of duties, functions and work activities, because I can very easily isolate a group of functions, and move each step around in their outline form, and create docs that I can publish and share. Of course it totally lacks in word processing functions. And for that I use Google Docs, like I would have used MS Word in the past, to Write.  Write letters, write proposals, write stories, write essays, etc.

While I understand that Evernote can’t be all things to all people, it would be such a super app if it at least incorporated some (all) of Workflowy’s features in the outlining department.  

Have you thought about acquiring Workflowy? Of course there is always the possibility that Google will acquire both Evernote and Workflowy and make GoogleDocs the THE leader in document creating and sharing.

Love to get some feedback or response to this post.
  • Level 5*

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  and while Evernote employees lean in from time to time to deal with tech issues,  I don't think the folks involved operate at a level that could comment on possible acquisitions,  and I know that Evernote only very rarely comments on works in progress. 

They have been working on the Editor module,  which as of last year is now common to all operating systems,  with a view to developing things like better bulleting tools once,  rather than have to code them individually for iOS,  Mac,  Android and Windows.  This year they're taking a look at Evernote Web to try and bring the browser-based app more in line with the desktop versions.

Better editing tools (of various sorts) have been a common refrain for years,  and hopefully now Evernote will be in a position to deliver them.  Bulleting and tables (believe it or not) are actually better than they were - or maybe they're now just consistent across all platforms.  I'm sure there will be more development in future.

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-12 at 5:03 AM, StefanPapp said:

For those of you, who wait as desparately as I am, there is a workaround. Use SUblime Text as frontend for Evernote. All you need is to install the evernote plugin for sublime text and it works

There are many solutions to having word processing features with data stored in Evernote.

I think the consensus of people posting in this discussion is: they only want to use the Evernote editor and the features must be built in.  The use of different editors and formats is not an acceptable solution

My solution is to use the Word/Pages - what are the benefits of SUblime Text?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

They can not accept the fact there are different editors and formats for the data

Not sure about that ..

I think folks are just saying they would find this a beneficial addition to Evernote, at least that is the camp I'm in.

• Like 1

Are you able to add a feature where you can highlight and designate the highlighted for being collapsible and expandable with a +/- button?

Collapsed:

+ My Notes

Expanded:

- These are my notes
   I can expand and collapse this

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, rogsonl said:

Can we at least get a hint that 

a. It will be satisfied ( and when)

No hints, we can only post requests and indicate our support by voting

>>b. We better forget it.

Personally, I carry on and work out how I can use features like "text collapse"
My approach is to switch to dedicated word processing apps that offer the feature.  I continue to file the documents in EN.

Someone at this forum suggested 'Workflowy' and soon I came to really love it. It is perfect for bullet point text writing and, of course, it has text collapse feature. You don't need to struggle with lots of document or scrolling long bullet point list any more. 

Currently, I mostly use Workflowy for bullet point writing and Evernote is just for scraping web pages or media things.. 

• Like 1

As a religious user of outlines, I can say that Cloud Outliner doesn't cut it.  It makes assumptions on what level you want the entry to be when you move it - which is usually (in my case) wrong.  There's a number of other usability issues that I could point out.  Bottom line - you're not missing much.  When I do an outline in Evernote, I end up using copy/paste to move stuff around, and living without the ability to collapse levels.

The best outliner remains an ancient abandonware Windows outliner called Ecco.  The core 10% of its outline features embedded within Evernote would be absolutely killer.

I'll upvote the outline feature, though.

• Like 1

+1.  An outline for me acts almost as a collaborator.  You can dump down the ideas free flow, see patterns and organize:

• Collapse allows for being able to deal with many pages of content in a single view
  • Properly implemented drag/drop allows for quick organization:
    • Dragging to a collapsed entry should open the entry, and allow placement anywhere within the entry (many outliners get this wrong)
    • Dragging should be allowed both in vertical and horizontal directions at the same time.  When I move an entry, I may want to promote/demote the entry (many outliners get it wrong)
  • It's nice to be able to embed other data types within the outline (pictures, etc), but, isn't mandatory, IMO
  • It would not be a requirement for outline to allow for dragging anywhere within a doc.  If it was constrained to a contiguous list, that would meet 90% of my requirements.  To move outside of the list, there's copy/paste.
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, j0001s said:

+1.  An outline for me acts almost as a collaborator.  You can dump down the ideas free flow, see patterns and organize...

2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Most outline zealots seem to really like Workflowy.

I'm +1 on the benefits of an outline and I'll achieve those benefits without dumping Evernote

Yes, the outline feature is not offered by the Evernote editor (hence this request), but I have no problem using alternate editors. For example Word/Pages attachments work well in EN

• Level 5*

+1 for collapsible outlines.

At least in the Windows sub-forum, this is far and away the most upvoted feature request, with nearly 3x as many votes as the second most upvoted request. Dunno where this feature request rates in the Mac sub-forum - probably a distant runner-up to "more white space and less content". :P

Collapsible outlines would also capture some of the benefits of another popular feature request - internal note links.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm +1 on the benefits of an outline and I'll achieve those benefits without dumping Evernote

10-4.  Not much of an outliner myself, just offering an option if one absolutely has to have it.

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, the outline feature is not offered by the Evernote editor (hence this request), but I have no problem using alternate editors. For example Word/Pages attachments work well in EN

The difference with my workflow is that I always have a multi-tab outliner open (the OPs aforementioned Ecco Pro).  A thought crosses my mind on any one of the many projects that I'm working on, I flip to that tab and write it in.  Then, when I'm working dedicated on the project, I go and organize.  The one-doc/one-outline approach of Word/Pages doesn't cut it for me, and I've always have found the Word/Pages outline features clunky.

So, Evernote is SO close to meeting my workflow model, and in fact could better it, being able to really quickly open up the right Note (equivalent to my tabs, without the tab limitation) as well as all the other great organization features that Evernote brings to the table.

I know us outliner junkies are not that common.  I would dearly love to move away from Ecco, a program that was Windows only, follows none of the current GUI standards, and was abandoned in 1996.  (BTW, I'm on a Mac, and run Windows under Parallels just so I can still run Ecco...)  But I have never found anything better for outlining.  Evernote could be.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, j0001s said:

The difference with my workflow is that I always have a multi-tab outliner open (the OPs aforementioned Ecco Pro).

omg  I was an Ecco fan back in the day, I have fond memories of it.  But when it died I gave it a decent burial and moved on. 

I don't think Evernote, or this request in the same tool class as Ecco

Thanks for the recollection though, even if your use seems Norman Bates-ish

• Level 5*

+1

On 2/23/2017 at 2:25 PM, j0001s said:

I always have a multi-tab outliner open (the OPs aforementioned Ecco Pro)

It's amazing and a testimony to ECCO's brilliance that some folks are still using it almost 20 years after its death! I wrote ECCO's Correspondence Manager and Mail Merge Wizard modules and did ECCO training and consulting with many companies.  It still has no equal as an organizational tool IMO.  I took on the project of creating an ECCO-like outlining version of Evernote, TuskTools Treeliner, but alas there just wasn't sufficient demand to release it as a product.

I would also like collapsible outlines in Evernote, but that would not bring it close to ECCO!

• Like 2

3 years later and now im looking for this!

Ive kind of found a work around (i dont know if this has been said already) but i found that encrypting selected text bunches it up into a single line with dots over it

Ive encrypted my Chapter 1 Summary notes and put a simple password like "open". Not checking "remember password" means that you can just click out of the note and back into it and its collapsed! Hope this helped!

Having two chapter summaries and lecture notes in the one note is annoying but i have to have it like that otherwise it ruins my system!  Hopefully the simpler hide/show box will be implemented soon.

needed!  Also, just general ability to create collapsible sections, images down to thumbnails (hover zoom?). all interiors of which to be searchable.  Make ORGANIZATION much easier and effective!

This has been going on for years. But you all know that....

After getting the occasional notification that someone else wants this feature, I decided to log on here today and poke around a bit. I suspected that this request has been duplicated in the windows area, mac, iphone, eniac, you name it. I was wanting to find out the definitive way to get through to Evernote....

I did notice that Evernote has created a new area for broad feature requests. Ones that aren't platform specific. They have, apparently, harvesting these requests and put them into a single genera area. They sort them based on the number of votes. A more recent version of this request (from 2014....) has been posted there and we are sitting in 7th place. Yes 'we'. 'Place' too. Don't think this isn't a game. It's us vs the other ideas.

Can I please suggest (or even beg) anyone remotely wanting this feature to vote on THAT thread. Let's boost the position higher. Who knows, we may get some traction (but I not betting on it)

Here's the specific thread :

Or perhaps, go there manually from the top of this forum

Forums -> Evernote Feature Requests

The first post introduces the new area, the voting ranking etc

Look down for 'Text Collapse' currently at 64 votes.

Let's jack up that number....

Hit the vote button. Don't just write '+1' in the comments.

Hit the button now.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

A view from the other side. 

Over the past 9 years, I've accumulated 47,000 notes in Evernote. I tried a few powerful outline programs in the past but kept coming back to Evernote. In my opinion, it is easier to use the flexibility with 1.) my existing tags, 2.) structured titles, and 3.) Evernote's search grammar to view/filter/hide the info.

There are already a lot of powerful outline programs available.  Workflowy (free) and 
https://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

There are already a lot of powerful outline programs available.  Workflowy (free) and 
https://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools

As your link indicates, MS Word has an outlining feature
This works for me, since most of my complex documents are in Word format
Evernote works well with Office documents as attachments to a note

• Like 1
On 07/04/2016 at 8:09 PM, Frank.dg said:

Cloud Outliner connects and interfaces with Evernote. What you shuffle around in one affects changes in the other. So you'll want to do your shuffling around in Cloud Outliner. 

There's now a 3rd-party WorkFlowy app called HandyFlowy, which exports outlines to Evernote... But it's a one-way deal... and it only exports visible/ expanded lists.

Just tried the latest version of Cloud Outliner, it doesn't support Evernote note link, it even removes all note links previously created in Evernote! Make a backup before syncing your notes with it!

Hi Gents,

Text Collapse: I think, technically, something is already available in Evernote, the "encryption" !!

Actually I was creating a note, and I was looking for a feature for collapsing a piece of text, that I would expand later only when I need to read the details, and also to give me a better overview of my complete note on one full screen space. I did not find the "collapse" feature (or "Expand" macro as it is called in "confluence"), but I remembered vaguely that I was using text encryption on evernote about one year ago, and that finally it was exactly acting as a "collapse", with the only difference being that for the "encryption" one needs a passphrase !!

So, for now I will use the text encryption just for my collapse/expand needs and will have to type the passphrase every time. what about simply make available similar function as encryption without "passphrase" and just call it "collapse" ??

Cheers

Pier

PS: sorry is this conversation was outdated or if another was better discussing this topic so that I may have not posting on the right place.

• Like 1

I mind about interesting solution case that it would be nice to implement, where you could simply select the text you want to "collapse" and by right mouse click on it will get context menu with some "create related note" menu item. Then it should create new note populated with previously selected text and insert link instead of selected text at parent node.

In this case we use default functionality but only need to add context menu item with some automation.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, wizzard said:

I mind about interesting solution case that it would be nice to implement, where you could simply select the text you want to "collapse" and by right mouse click on it will get context menu with some "create related note" menu item. Then it should create new note populated with previously selected text and insert link instead of selected text at parent node.

In this case we use default functionality but only need to add context menu item with some automation.

Hi.  Please don't cross post: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/97538-managing-long-notes/#comment-467681

- Even if different posts are relevant to your request,  just pick one.

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-25 at 9:40 PM, sorochinskijap said:

Still waiting.

Personally, I use editors that provide features I need

Evernote's editor is adequate for notes, but when I need word processing features, I use a dedicated WP app
Evernote works well with Office/iWork files as attachments to notes

I think this would be a great feature. Just take a look at the "LyX document processor" (sort of a GUI for LaTeX). It has a great ability to insert figures, etc into collapsable "floats." Seems like something similar could be very easily accomplished in Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 24/08/2017 at 9:43 PM, austinr2222 said:

Seems like something similar could be very easily accomplished in Evernote.

If they decide to do it,  and can engineer the same behaviour in multiple OS's and screen resolutions and sizes from 2 inches to 5 feet...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Drexler Mathias said:

If your implement Heading Styles, there could be a automatic possibility to collapse the respective section.

I’m not getting the “automatic possiblity” part.  My understanding of the heading styles was for formatting purpose 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Drexler Mathias said:

I meant clicking on headers could collapse the section below. Thereba you could structure your note by headers and collapse each one or expand it or select the level of headers, just like an outliner or the word functipn

Hi.  I use Workflowy to keep outlines handy,  and flesh out / re-order content as necessary. 

Evernote does already provide the resources to do the same thing,  but the execution is a little clunky,  though perfectly usable...

1. Create a new (temporary) notebook for your project.  Add a new note for each main topic.  Add additional comments to the same notes,  or add new notes as required.
  2. Create a Table of Contents note from your notebook content.  This will give you a link to each note file.
  3. Re-order the ToC lines as necessary for your content - indent any child notes under their related parent note link
  4. Use the ToC note to manage your work,  adding content as necessary to each note,  and additional notes as necessary (manually add these links to your ToC in the correct place)
  5. Additional features like copy and merge notes may be hepful here too...
  6. When you're finished,  select all notes and print.  (I'd do that to a file,  then open the output file with Word and add more style)

It's a possibility.  ;)

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Drexler Mathias said:

I meant clicking on headers could collapse the section below.

As a work around, I make use of “subnotes”.  This is similar to @gazumped’s TOC

The main Note contains  links to the subnotes.  Use the navigation keys to move back to the main note