Text Collapse [Outlining]

ajschmidt

Idea

Hi,

Please consider implementing collapsible blocks like Notion. This is a major feature that I've been waiting for years which would be very useful for my needs. 

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, mat_rhein said:

Since Evernote is having a really shallow folder structure 

Off topic, but Evernote has no support for folder structure
All notes reside in a single folder   
This can be observed with the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac

This works for me   
For note organization, I use the Notebook/Tag metadata fields  (Tags are Evernote's primary organization tool)
Notebooks can be organized into two levels    
Tags are a hierarchy and can be organized into unlimited levels

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote has no support for folder structure;    

Meant no offense there... call me old-fashioned, but I perceive stacks and notebooks as folder equivalents in their ability to categorize notes. Please don't go ahead and lecture me about the differences, the point of this thread is folding text and outlining, right?

• Level 5

EN introduced 3 header levels when they released the new editor. Currently it is just that, headers in a text & content file. I don’t expect this is all about it.

I think (without any inside knowledge) that we will see a little system build around it, with outlining, collapsing sections, bookmarks you can directly jump to, standard settings and maybe the chance to publish notes and notebooks as a blog or site to the web.

It would create a complete new set of use cases, web publishing without all the trouble. IMHO just a question when this happens (and I could be wrong).

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, mat_rhein said:

folding text would help alleviate the need for more structure and enable oversight in large documents.

I always hate the term "large document" - seems to me an accident waiting to happen.  A lot of eggs in one basket a fumble-fingered moment,  a mouse twitch,  or a dropped connection away from being accidentally corrupted or deleted.  Plus large documents take time to download on a mobile connection.  I prefer lots of small notes tied together by titles or tags.  (Or Notebooks!)

Since I moved to using notebooks as a kind of saved search - all my Amazon orders are in |Amazon,  my automated zaps in |Zapier - I started using Workflowy as a kind of index to save links direct to notes, open templates etc..  Seems to work quite well for me - YMMV

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I always hate the term "large document" ...

Right, my use of the Evernote editor is for notes, which by definition are short

I use a word processing app for "large documents"   
They are stored in Evernote as a note attachment file   
And added benefit is the outlining functions of the word processing app

• Level 5

Short notes are generally the better way - but I think there are use cases where some more text could be the call of the day, and bringing structure (visual as contextual) to a document is a good idea.

EN already has upgraded the editor to create and handle H1H2H3 - they just have to make the next - IMHO logical - step to add some functionality to it now.

One use case could be a template: Created with all content, then collapsed and saved in collapsed mode. When you make a new note from it, you can expand the section to which you are adding your content, but it always stays in a compacted view. 

Or a daily log, for a month. Everything collapsed and by this not disturbing, open is only the actual day.

I am sure if this was added, there would be al million more ideas how to make use of it.

• Like 2

Please add this!  I have been using Evernote for years, and have within the past 6 months returned to school and NEED this function for active recall.  I have half of my notes in Evernote, and half in Notion.  I use the active recall notes in Notion, and the regular class notes and OCR in evernnote....I would LOVE to have all of my studies and notes in one place.  Please consider.  

• Like 1

Expand/ Collapse for text blocks would be great feature. As a future improvement it might be nested expand collapse similar to mind map organization of information. I still think it required inside single note and splitting info between multiple notes some times does not make sense - its changing very fast. 

• Like 1

For an app that focused on notes to not have collapsing is kind of ridiculous.  It's currently the only feature that keeps me from using Evernote as my one source of notes.   Without collapsible outlines or text, info in notes just becomes cumbersome.  So yes, a big note from a lifetime Evernote paid user here...

Starting a new job and revisiting my note taking options. Collapsable sections and bullets seems like a no brainer to at least keep up with the competitors in the space. Additionally, having a sort of floating outline/table of contents would be helpful. 

Yes.  I wish this was not the case, but currently, I really do not have a choice.  It's a very important feature and is just too important in regards to the workflow for me at this point.  hopefully, Evernote changes this down the line.  

Thanks, 

• Level 5

A typical workaround would be to use a word processor, and place the file as an attachment into the note.

This not only gives outlining, it has many more features missing in a basic editing environment like EN.

This would be a really good feature for me. I am thinking whether to purchase Evernote premium, or switch to OneNote as they have a version of such a feature. OneNote's feature allows you to collapse sub-bullet points to only show the parent bullet, which can subsequently be expanded. Personally, I would be very satisfied if only this was introduced.

• Level 5*
On 8/28/2021 at 6:51 PM, Marcin Kupilas said:

This would be a really good feature for me. I am thinking whether to purchase Evernote premium, or switch to OneNote as they have a version of such a feature. OneNote's feature allows you to collapse sub-bullet points to only show the parent bullet, which can subsequently be expanded. Personally, I would be very satisfied if only this was introduced.

Don't know how close Evernote is to introducing anything or even if they're trying.  Since they don't (usually) do feature announcements we'll only know if/ when a new update is released.  Meantime I can quite easily use bullets via a link in my notes to Workflowy and a link from there back to the note...

On 7/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, CraigD said:

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

Adding my voice to this feature addition.

We're well aware that it seems to be Notion's USP. Adding it to Evernote would make you supreme beings. 

[Please] Do it!! 

• Level 5*
On 8/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, gazumped said:

Don't know how close Evernote is to introducing anything or even if they're trying.  Since they don't (usually) do feature announcements we'll only know if/ when a new update is released.  Meantime I can quite easily use bullets via a link in my notes to Workflowy and a link from there back to the note...

That previous link seems not to work for some reason - try this one:  this is workflowy