Bradley Chambers

mac (Archived) View missing in 5.1.1

Evernote has a bad habit of tying two separate features together.  In this case:

• View Type (List, Snippet, etc)
  • View Location (Top, Side)

So previously the List view was on TOP of the Note contents panel.

We had been asking for Vertical List view for years.

So, when they gave it to us, they MOVED the List view from TOP to SIDE. 

Poor UI design, IMO.

They should give us a choice of location independent of type.

• Like 3

When I updated this morning and saw this, my first thought is that it was a bug. I really hope it's just an "oops" and not a deliberate change to remove functionality. I'm sure I _could_ get used to having the preview pane on the right, but by forcing it to go there, Evernote just took away 50% of the horizontal real estate. Now any notes I have with long titles (e.g. many things clipped from web) are cut off.

I agree 100% with JMichael. This is a horrible UI design choice.

• Like 3

+1  I loved the list on top / note on the bottom view.  Please, please, please bring it back!  

Thanks.

• Like 4

Blah... I was excited about the reminders and due dates features, but didn't expect this... :( the list view is now basically the snippet view with sorting options. such a waste of screen real estate!!!

I hereby cast my vote for evernote to bring back the horizontal pane list view

• Like 3

Agreed!  I installed today's update (yeah reminders!) and when Evernote restarted my bottom preview pane was gone.  WTF!  Please bring this back. 

:angry:  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Like 2

I just upgraded to Evernote 5.1.0 via the Mac App Store, and I can't seem to get my horizontal list view back. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated!

Sam

Edited by jefito
Mod: merged to identical topic

Seriously? This just killed usability for me. What is the point of having options to turn on all those columns if I can't fit them on the screen???

For years I've been using the horizontal view. I show created date, updated date, title, notebook, and tags. 

Come on guys stop messing with us and let us choose to keep the horizontal view. 

• Like 5

Where were you all when Evernote asked on these forums to hear from horizontal list view aficionados!?

Well, what's done is done. The horizontal view is gone. Personally, I disliked the horizontal view myself, but I can see the use case, and it seems better to have more options rather than less.

• Like 2

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback! As GM said, we did post awhile ago asking about any Horizontal List View fans and were expecting a backlash when we made the decision to remove Horizontal List View as a view option. 

If you guys haven't heard yet, this morning we released a major new feature (#1 user request) of Reminders (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/23/evernote-reminders-are-here-on-mac-ios-and-web-2/) and in doing so, had to make a difficult UI/design choice of taking Horizontal List View out in designing the appearance and function of Reminders.

We had many users requesting a Vertical List View and it fit in well with our overall new Reminders UI. 

Would you guys have preferred to keep Horizontal List View over Reminders or vice versa? If so, why or why not?

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback! As GM said, we did post awhile ago asking about any Horizontal List View fans and were expecting a backlash when we made the decision to remove Horizontal List View as a view option. 

If you guys haven't heard yet, this morning we released a major new feature (#1 user request) of Reminders (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/23/evernote-reminders-are-here-on-mac-ios-and-web-2/) and in doing so, had to make a difficult UI/design choice of taking Horizontal List View out in designing the appearance and function of Reminders.

We had many users requesting a Vertical List View and it fit in well with our overall new Reminders UI. 

Would you guys have preferred to keep Horizontal List View over Reminders or vice versa? If so, why or why not?

Thanks for explaining the rationale! As users we want it all, so I don't know if anyone is willing to throw one or the other under the bus :)

Unlike developers, we (and I do include myself here) can ask for everything and not have to concern ourselves with how it will work in practice. I make suggestions, of course, but it is nothing like actually having to sit down and put it together piece by piece as you all do.

Yes, please give back the option for the horizontal list. I have billions of programs for reminders, but only ONE I use for my notes. I NEED the horizontal list. Thanks.

• Like 1

There was nothing in that post that indicated the merest possibility that a horizontal list view would have to give way to a vertical list view. I don't think anyone in their wildest imagination thought this would ever happen. Unless there was some other post with a poll, I missed.

I can assure you my own post had been vigorously defending the horizontal list view if I had thought its life was on stake. I feel confident, I am not alone.

By the way, I fail to see how reminders have anything to do with the lists orientation. Care to elaborate on that?

• Like 3

I agree that the horizontal view needs to be added back as an option.  With that view missing the screen real estate has been negatively changed and it limits the number of fields you can see on the screen at the same time.  Thank you.

• Like 3

Horizontal view needs to be returned. Viewing content, especially saved webpages, is a very poor experience now.

• Like 3

I agree viewing content is a poor experience now ... Also, having to open notes in a new window to get a "good" viewing experience is very annoying.

• Like 2

Been a premium member for a couple of years now. I don't use the forums unless I'm having a problem with Evernote, so I didn't see any post about removing horizontal list view. Please consider this backlash.

The new vertical view is a terrible waste of space for me. I use (and pay) for Evernote because it's a great program for writing, reading, and searching notes, not because of reminders or other frills. I'm all for adding new functionality but not that affects the core purpose of Evernote!

Could someone please explain how I might go about downgrading from 5.1.0? 

• Like 3

Yes, please give back the option for the horizontal list. I have billions of programs for reminders, but only ONE I use for my notes. I NEED the horizontal list. Thanks.

And let me add to my own post... I am a PAID user as well, and this problem is making me much less likely to want to keep doing that...

As I write this, I am looking directly at the text I am typing. With the new view I would have to look at an angle to type, which is unnatural.

Please, at least, add in the old view. Evernote seems to be in my way, now.

Where were you all when Evernote asked on these forums to hear from horizontal list view aficionados!?

Ok, that's not fair. I've been using Evernote longer than Phil claims the company has even existed, but I don't live in the forums. I show up when I have trouble or suggestions. They have my email address. They also could collect analytics from the client on who actually lives ONLY in horizontal list mode. - Maybe send THAT group an email? 

Hi g...

I really don't  see any technical reason why reminders only work in vertical mode, and not horizontal. It's not fair to phrase it like it was a one or the other choice. That dog don't hunt.

Anyhow, I'm not going to through a tantrum or anything. I'm just disappointed. My productivity has been negatively impacted and I expect better of Evernote. 

• Like 3

johnmarshall4 says it perfectly for me.  I've been a Premium member since Evernote started accepting Premium members, and it's a tool I use daily and love.  Removing the horizontal view is big step backward in usability as far as I am concerned, and I am disappointed with the way it was handled.  

Please bring back an option for horizontal mode, as quickly as possible.  

Many thanks.  

All valid points. Let me ask you this - have you tried out Vertical List View?

In anticipating our Horizontal List View fans, we also added the capability of right-clicking the title bars in Vertical List View and giving users the options of adding on filters as needed. To johnmarshall4's point and workflow of using Horizontal List View of "created date, updated date, title, notebook, and tags" -- I've attached a screenshot with those exact parameters to help you visualize what Vertical List View can do. You can also toggle the width of Vertical List View to be expansively wide as you want (and if you try it out, you will see what I mean how it can get very wide).

Functionally speaking, it was very difficult to reconcile Horizontal List View with Reminders because of our Reminders pane (in the attached screenshot, you'll see it listing 2 reminders of California's hidden gems and most surreal places) that would show you your reminders both in an All Notes context and on a per Notebook basis. Please know that we took it under very careful consideration but were unable to come up with a good, timely solution at this point -- all things considered. We may revisit it in the future.

We try our best to accomodate all of our users and their needs, and we do read and listen to user feedback that is posted on the forums  :) 

What exactly about Horizontal List View do you find the most useful that can't be fulfilled in Vertical List View? I am curious to hear people's workflows, aside from johnmarshall4 of using created date, updated date, title, notebook and tags.

post-119570-0-09732200-1369341767_thumb.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, but you clearly have a much higher resolution wide screen monitor than I do!

I have (and use) the sidebar open all the time. With the addition of the list view, I now need to make the Evernote window much wider to display a page-width of note text.

Also, I usually don't have that many notes in each notebook, so now I have all this wasted space in the List view. 

Now if the Evernote team has their heart set on using only a Vertical List view, how about giving us an option to 'auto-hide' it, or to have some sort of 'drawer' option, so that we can at least get rid of it when we don't need it? (Or, does some option already exist)?

I would really like horizontal view back (even if at the expense of reminders). The vertical view doesn't let me read long note titles or any of the other information that was displayed previously!

In anticipating our Horizontal List View fans, we also added the capability of right-clicking the title bars in Vertical List View and giving users the options of adding on filters as needed. To johnmarshall4's point and workflow of using Horizontal List View of "created date, updated date, title, notebook, and tags" -- I've attached a screenshot with those exact parameters to help you visualize what Vertical List View can do. You can also toggle the width of Vertical List View to be expansively wide as you want (and if you try it out, you will see what I mean how it can get very wide).

Functionally speaking, it was very difficult to reconcile Horizontal List View with Reminders because of our Reminders pane (in the attached screenshot, you'll see it listing 2 reminders of California's hidden gems and most surreal places) that would show you your reminders both in an All Notes context and on a per Notebook basis. Please know that we took it under very careful consideration but were unable to come up with a good, timely solution at this point -- all things considered. We may revisit it in the future.

We try our best to accomodate all of our users and their needs, and we do read and listen to user feedback that is posted on the forums  :) 

What exactly about Horizontal List View do you find the most useful that can't be fulfilled in Vertical List View? I am curious to hear people's workflows, aside from johnmarshall4 of using created date, updated date, title, notebook and tags.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have tried vertical list view. I do realize that I can add all the columns I want, I just don't really have any room to see what is in them. I appreciate the screen shot. I never full screen apps. My work flow is always Evernote sharing the screen with either another app or an open note.  So leaving my Evernote window size the way it was I can no longer see enough useful data in the columns like title or tags. I also always have the sidebar open, though I might consider closing this now. 

Given they way I use Evernote, and assuming Horizontal view doesn't come back, I think I'll probably migrate to snippet view, it might be a better trade off for my normal use.

I am also interested in hearing how other people used Horizontal List View and why.

I must say I like the new design, much more consistent and have previously used the horizontal view quite often… maybe just give it a bit of time...

Are you serious?

But you have to sacrifice either the sidebar (for many users not an option), some of the information (no time, only dates; truncated titles; only the first tag or two), or the size of the note. It's not so much a matter of function but of screen real estate.

Vertical list view is fine, if you want only to show very little information about the notes but want to see a whole lot of them. I can see a use for this, but who would want to toggle all the sorting options back and forth between the benefits of a vertical view and the simulation of the old horisontal view? So, we can't have the full benefits of the old horizontal view, and we can't have the full benefits of the vertical view either.

I still completely fail to see the issue. Maybe I am dense. If I go in extended card view, the Reminders pane stretches the entire window too - it's incredibly ugly, yes, but if you're willing to do it here, why not in a horizontal list view? You even added a toggle to collapse the reminders pane, if there are too many reminders (I figure that is what you mean) - besides, would that not be a problem in other views as well if showing All Notes? I do not get it. Carve it out in cardboard for me, please?

I use list view for certain of my workflows where I do a lot of note merging. On the Mac client, the notes must be listed in the order, you want them to be merged. This is sometimes not as easy to achieve as you would think - especially not if many of your notes have the same creation date, title, tags and so on. Hence, I use both title, creation date and time, update date and time, tags, sync status and note size as sorting factors. I can do this still, for sure, but it doesn't leave me much room to see my note (at least, it's awkward), even if I am running full screen on a fairly large monitor.

Another gripe I have with the new list view is that it's harder to read than before (what do you have against black on white?). The alternating colors are barely distinguishable and the font is not as efficient as the old one.

It does not exactly help that I am no immediate fan of the Reminders feature - possibly because I don't understand the point of it yet. But that's probably for another thread.

The new 'List view' looks more like a skinny 'Snippet view'.  Unless I'm missing something, I may have to go back to the other version. I can't see my cool tags and such. 

The new 'List view' looks more like a skinny 'Snippet view'.  Unless I'm missing something, I may have to go back to the other version. I can't see my cool tags and such. 

Right click on the column titles and you can choose which columns show up.

Right click on the column titles and you can choose which columns show up.

Right on. I'll give it a try after checking out an older version of Evernote, (...which I'm synching up right now). #gottaloveoldskool

Thanks for your explanations. I, as many have mentioned an am Evernote Premium user and only come to the forums when something like *this* happens. The software I'm using sudden doesn't work the way that I've loved it forever. I was ecstatic about the reminders feature because I was actually getting ready to try and build a service that would email me reminders based on tags. Now it's built into the software, however I can't express how disappointed I was in the loss of the horizontal view.

My workflow: I store EVERYTHING in Evernote, however one of my primary uses is my task management is done through Evernote. I have many saved searches in my sidebar that allows me to get different views of various data sets. In the list view, I view titles, many times rather long ones regarding an action that needs to be taken. I then use a set of MANY tags. I sometimes sort by Updated time but most the time I sort by Tags. I'll also want to see various in-depth information by clicking on one of my items. By adjusting the tags, titles and checkboxes I'm able to manage everything I do and it jumps notes into the various saved searches. I generally have the Evernote window using about half of my monitor as I'm also using web browsers or programming at the same time and using Evernote for references of what to do, etc.

What used to be a rather compact window is now very wide taking up almost my whole screen.

Here's an example of the new view. And this is the bare minimum useable state in list view.

evernote_example.png

• Like 1

I second what EddieHinkle posted and I am also a paid user for almost two years. My entire workflows for business and personal use involves Evernote. The old Horizontal View was the only view that I have used for a long time. Why eliminate a view all together? After upgrading today I spent too much time trying the other views, field setups and sort functions. Now I have to take extra steps to work with my notes and when I am limited to just the screen on my laptop, I can no longer have Evernote usable on one side of the screen and a web meeting screen on the other half. Hopefully the Horizontal view can be put back in. Even if that means no reminders I am fine with that. Thank you.

I'm also a fan of the horizontal view.  Personally I prefer seeing all the data about my notes (Created Date, Modified, Title, Notebook, Tags).  While I can add these columns in the vertical list view, I can't see all the data.  Without making my note view super skinny.  I also have a sidebar up that I use all the time so that is also taking real estate.  Personally, I'm not going to use reminders.  I have other places I store tasks and reminders.  But I always use the horizontal view.  So this upgrade removed functionality for me.  As others have said, I don't see why could couldn't keep the horizontal view.  If the reminders was the problem, then don't show reminders in the horizontal view.  Only have them displayed in the other views.  

As far as soliciting feedback from people, as others have said, I don't come here unless I have an issue.  Why not send an email to your paying customers (which I am one of), and ask for our input that way.  Surely you had to know this change would cause issues for people.   

• Like 1

Another "please give us back the horizontal list". Or at least implement an option to change the postion from vertical to horizontal because a "vertical list view" is really useless. You don't see all columns and you don't see all informations from the selected note UNLESS you move the splitter bar. This can't really be a design decision. If so I'd rather dispense with reminders.

So sad that this view has gone. I'm really thinking about downgrading again....and just did it..

So please keep up with your good work, but give us back the "horizontal list view".

Horizontal list view was a critical part of my daily work flow.  Sorting by tags tells me what I should be doing today.  It is so important I took time to figure out how to log a support ticket (site keeps showing up in spanish).

• Like 1

I've only just implemented the system advocated by "The Secret Weapon" and now this update puts a stick in that system by severely limiting the usefulness of the list view. Please make it an option. Also, I can't for the life of me understand why reminders and alarms must have a vertical view or that it is impossible to create a system where multiple views and layouts are possible. Given the fact that evernote is supposed to be THE central hub for organising notes it makes little sense to force certain views on users.

Quite simply it's sceen real estate utilization.  With the horizontal view I have a list of notes in the notebook AND I can see the full width of the note which is particularly important for graphics, web pages, etc.  This isn't that hard, quit jerking us around.  It's not a sum zero game.  You can have horizontal displays, and vertical displays, and reminders.

And please do it NOW.

And BTW, EN will spend the next two years tuning and adjusting reminders.  There are no recurring reminders, snooze buttons, etc. etc. like a good GTD.  It's like EN can only think about one thing at a time.  Reminders should be seamlessly added in, not become the center point that displaces the prior views.

Restore the horizontal views and you can spend the next 2 yrs tweaking reminders.  The core EN functionality is great, but the UI crew is clueless.

PS:  Also a Premium user.

I have (and use) the sidebar open all the time. With the addition of the list view, I now need to make the Evernote window much wider to display a page-width of note text.

Also, I usually don't have that many notes in each notebook, so now I have all this wasted space in the List view. 

Now if the Evernote team has their heart set on using only a Vertical List view, how about giving us an option to 'auto-hide' it, or to have some sort of 'drawer' option, so that we can at least get rid of it when we don't need it? (Or, does some option already exist)?

⌘-⌥-S - That is the fastest way

• Like 1

I am just posting here to weigh in and say that this UI/UX change breaks the software for me.  I didn't see a forum post (because I don't check here religiously -- I am too busy running my businesses for that).

I think it is unfair to say that you cannot have a reminders feature without a top-note-view feature.  That's laziness more than anything else.  Maybe its more difficult to do it, but its certainly possible.

EDIT: I should also say that I am a Premium user, as well...

• Like 1

Blimey... what happened with this update!

Just to add my vote - Please bring back horizontal List View

Like previous posters have mentioned, this has just crippled List View. I also wasn't aware there was a poll on this change since rarely use the forum.

Natural language goes from left to right (and also right to left) so having it vertical means you can't see any of the content of the 9 columns you could have in the list view, and if you did expand it out, then you loose the real estate in the displayed note itself - insane !!!

I'll have to translate all my notes to Japanese so I can have a top to bottom language orientation for the new list view  :huh:

• Like 1

I concur.  The horizontal list view was my default view and the one that I used 95% of the time.  For me has to do with two things:  a) on my 15" monitor I always have Evernote and Outlook running at the same time - outlook on the left and Evernote on the right.  This only leaves "half the screen realestate" for Evernote.  2) then within Evernote I use fairly long titles (more meaningful for me).  So in horizontal list view I could see the updated date-time, the title and the tag.

Now without horizontal list view the only way for me to see the title is to maximize Evernote and have it take the entire screen -- so now I'm flipping between full screen Evernote and the rest of my desktop/Outlook environment all of the time.  Far less efficient (and a bit annoying).  I like reminders coming to Evernote; makes a lot of sense, but I'm sure the creative designers at Evernote can figure a way to get reminders and still retain horizontal list view for those of us to love it; as you have already built a great product.  Rich

Hi,

Premium user here - I thought that the removal of horizontal list view was a bug, rather than a choice, until I saw this topic. My personal use case is that I use Evernote in 5/8 of the screen width, and have skype/terminal/notational velocity in the remaining 3/8. This way I have a main working window and an info section on the right, and I can keep the aspect ratio of my Evernote notes usable by having the horizontal list view at the top, showing 5 lines or so.

Is it not possible to put the reminders in the sidebar? If they will fit in the vertical list view, surely they would also fit there.

⌘-⌥-S - That is the fastest way

Thanks Palladion - I found that hides the Sidebar but not the Vertical List view - would love to find a shortcut/option for that!

Also - does someone know how I can reinstall the previous, good, version of Evernote?

EDIT - I was able to grab an older version from the /Applications folder inside my Time Machine and it seems to work OK.

Edited by oogabooga

Just to add my voice to this: I was also very annoyed to see horizontal view gone after updating (at the very least, why was that not mentioned in the "what's new?" note so that I could have made a decision on this rather than silently getting something taken away?). The app feels very unbalanced now -- the note used to be in the center, now I'm looking at lots of chrome on the left half of the window, and the note is pushed to the right half.

I also don't understand the arguments given here for why horizontal view wouldn't have worked with reminders, but anyway. I might be able to live with this if the following would be possible:

- maximise width of vertical list, basically so much that the main window is just this list (+ the sidebar). At the moment, there seems to be a miminum size for the note pane on the side. Why not just drop that completely?

- keyboard shortcut for opening note in separate window. Indeally something simple like just hitting return in the list.

Others have said this but since you asked: The horizontal view is great for me because I like to view several columns (date updated, created, notebook, tags, and of course title) for quick and easy sorting (and sync status so I'm sure not to log off if the program is still working). Even at full width on my desktop, both the list and the note seem crowded on the screen. And on my 11" Macbook Air, forget it. It's also how I have my email set up, and have for MANY years, so it's what my eye is used to. AND because I'm on a Mac at home and Windows at work, and this change doesn't seem to have been made to the Windows version, they don't "match." 

I don't understand why the reminders thing can't sit on top of the list in a horizontal view in exactly the same way it sits atop the vertical view. (Or what if reminders lived at the top of the sidebar, which is the same in ALL views?)

It's obviously not the end of the world and I'll get used to it, but you asked why I used horizontal view and that's why! I'd love to have it back.

Echoing earlier premium users who noted that they do not utilise/log onto forums unless issues pop up.  And this is a major issue for me - I clip several hundred notes weekly, and each note typically has several tags each, and I am now unable to properly view/edit my note tags using the vertical view.  Adding my voice here to bring back the horizontal view as an option, even if it entails disabling the reminders feature, which I don't use anyway.

• Like 1

Me too! (premium user) - I really NEED the old list above the notes view. All day long Evernote sits on the right side of my screen but now it takes up too much room. PLEASE bring back the list above notes view.

Well I'm shocked that you found it "very difficult to reconcile Horizontal List View with Reminders" and were "unable to come up with a good, timely solution at this point".

If you just look around at other software that present many different panels of info on the screen you will find lots of choices.

Here is just one, for example:  The Visual Studio IDE

• Don't discount this example because it is for programmers -- that is NOT the point. 
  • The point is how VS IDE gives the user several different ways of showing/hiding/placing the various panels on the screen.
  • The main panel is the coding panel -- analogous to the EN Note contents panel
  • VS allows the user to arrange supporting panels on all sides of the main panel, including multiple panel on each side.
  • Each of these supporting panels may be set to be always open, or open when the user does a mouse-over of the collapsed panel
  • The user may choose which info is presented in each panel (i.e., which columns are presented)

You could also use Tabs to organize the different panels of info, in particular those which you don't usually need to see at the same time.

So, you could put the Reminders in a different tab than, say, the Note content.

Just to be clear, I am NOT proposing this as the specific solution.  I am merely pointing out that you have other options than the one you chose.

Whenever you come across what seems to be a hard choice that means giving up capability, challenge yourselves to find a solution that does not cause this.

I hope Evernote is beginning to see that because you can NOT meet the needs of all users (or even a significant portion) with ONE design, you really need to give the users some basic choices/OPTIONS on how to configure EN, both the UI and the functionality.

Allthough it is not a big of a dealbreaker as others have mentioned, I would also like to see the horizontal list view return. But having Reminders is a very big enhancement! Thanks!!

With the vertical view I still have all info available but I have to get used to it.

And let me add to my own post... I am a PAID user as well, and this problem is making me much less likely to want to keep doing that...

Ditto. I'm sure many of the happy users are not frequenting the forum enough to see that post. That's the nature of product forums, they are mostly populated by people with issues and the evangelists that discuss those issues.

Also, as a software architect myself, I am having a hard time understanding how a reminders feature would require the removal of a horizontal display. If it does, you may be trying to streamline things a bit too much. It's always a tricky balance figuring out where to spend your time, but I strongly disagree with your decision in this case. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, the absence of the horizontal layout (and the way in which it disappeared without warning) will likely lead to my departure from evernote.

Would you guys have preferred to keep Horizontal List View over Reminders or vice versa?

To answer this question, I vote keep Horizontal List View over Reminders. I don't understand why it's one or the other but if it comes down to a choice, I find the Horizontal List View to be more important than Reminders. In fact, I just downgraded. Also, the Horizontal List View font was much easier to read than it is in the Vertical List View. Why was the background color changed? In 5.0.7 the background was alternating white and very light blue stripes. The type letter spacing was more open, now it's kerned very tightly and much harder to read. It would really be helpful, in the future, if you'd mention what features have been eliminated as well as what's been added in the "what's new" so users can decide whether to upgrade or not.

I would've said the more layout / view options the better - with a sensible chosen set of defaults. It's not confusing to the user to do this.

I have a two monitor setup, but I rotated one widescreen display 90 degrees so I can see all of my notes in one screen or peruse documents without having to scroll needlessly. A vertically stacked arrangement in Evernote worked very well with this display arrangement. 

I had noticed the horizontal view removal and at first I was upset, until I actually tried out the reminders feature, and see that how it's implemented the vertical list view makes more sense. I use evernote everyday and truly need it to get my work done and keep my life sorted, so additional features versus getting used to a slight design change are definitely a plus as far as I'm concerned. I've decided to switch my Mail.app view to vertical as well, to eliminate some of the disconnect and jarring of switching between the apps and I find that it's making the change much easier.

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back horizontal list view. For my primary use of Evernote (GTD, based on "The Secret Weapon" system), the new vertical only list view is MUCH less useful.

I am not advocating ditching the vertical view-- I understand it may work better for others. One of the great strengths/beauties of EN is that it can be used in so many completely different kinds of ways. Especially in a program like this, users should be able to choose options and customize to suit their way of working. "One size fits all" is bad UI design.

Re the issue above of "why didn't you speak up earlier when we posted about verical vs horizontal list view"-- (1) I suspect there are lots of users who really depend on EN but don't spend time hanging out on these forums. I look at the forums when I have something specific I need, not otherwise. So, posting on a forum only reaches a subset of users-- it's not a representative poll. (2) From what I've found looking back, nobody ever said "we're considering a non-optional switch from horizontal-only to vertical-only view; how would this affect you?"

So-- please give users the option of choosing between the layouts for list view.

EN:  You have posed this as we can have a horizontal view, or Reminders.  Then give us the choice.  I for one, and I suspect many on this forum, prefer to have Horizontal views and no Reminders.  So give us an older version (and something to convert the database backwards), or a switch to enable Horizontal while disabling Reminders (since the UI designers can't apparently figure out how to have both) and we'll shut up and go away.

• Like 1

Didn't get a chance to read what everyone else is saying, but I'm really frustrated with the removal of the list view on top. I couldn't care less about reminders (more bloat imo though I know many people are into this feature). Please fix this ASAP.

I have cancelled my premium subscription until this view is added back in.

• Like 1

why remove the choice anyway? Surely it's a usability choice for the user? You can't enforce it. Basically you are assuming people prefer to work like that, which in turn assumes widescreen aspect ratio and high res screen. Imagine the outcry if MS messed with the taskbar? Oh, they did... and there was. 

• Like 1

Like many people on this thread I'm very, very disappointed that the horizontal view is gone. Lately, there have been several rounds of changes that have made Evernote less useable for me.

As for 'why didn't you respond when we posted about this in the forums'? Well, because I'm busy working and not trolling through the forums. I'm a paid subscriber, and have been one for many years. I didn't receive a single email requesting my input about removing what seems to me a fundamental view option. I love Evernote, but I am now reconsidering how much longer I use it. I need a top notch note taking app. I don't need another app to remind me to do things - there are PLENTY of apps that do that. I'm not sure why the product management decided Evernote needed to do more, instead of focusing on doing what you do really well.

So, so disappointed. :-(

• Like 1

Like many people on this thread I'm very, very disappointed that the horizontal view is gone. Lately, there have been several rounds of changes that have made Evernote less useable for me.

As for 'why didn't you respond when we posted about this in the forums'? Well, because I'm busy working and not trolling through the forums. I'm a paid subscriber, and have been one for many years. I didn't receive a single email requesting my input about removing what seems to me a fundamental view option. I love Evernote, but I am now reconsidering how much longer I use it. I need a top notch note taking app. I don't need another app to remind me to do things - there are PLENTY of apps that do that. I'm not sure why the product management decided Evernote needed to do more, instead of focusing on doing what you do really well.

So, so disappointed. :-(

You don't need to spend ages trawling through the forums to see what's upcoming -- the betas generally give you that kind of information, and a chance to feed back on it early in the process (doesn't mean that Evernote will always heed it). You can either hop on the beta train (though some folks understandably don't want to be beta testers, or even use new releases right away), or subscribe to the beta announcement topic threads as they pop up -- they're usually easy to find, as they are pinned to the top of the forum. Not sure that email blasts for every new feature/design change would be the best way to elicit feedback, and I'm sure that some folks would have problems with the idea that Evernote is looking through its user base to find people who are using particular Evernote clients so that they can send them emails for that purpose. Flip side is that I'm not blaming anyone who didn't catch the question in the first place; it's that there may be easier ways to follow new development directions than spending ages in the forums.

On the topic of "why reminders"??? Simple: there are many, many forum discussions from Evernote users requesting due-dates/reminders/calendars and other related functionality, and something in that area has been promised by the Evernote CEO for over 3 years now, at last count. It was bound to happen, and it looks like it's going to be lightweight but usable, which is about all that I'd need. I still don't understand why reminders and horizontal list view are an either/or, though.

• Like 1

> "Where were you all when Evernote asked on these forums to hear from horizontal list view aficionados!?"

This is a classic case of survivor bias.  

Those of us who liked the horizontal view were happy as clams and had no need to come here.  Now you will be hearing from us in droves, I imagine.  

I've been using a version of the horizontal view pretty much since I started using Evernote, and taking it out deprives us of a huge amount of real estate.  

Because I used the horizontal view, I tend to use long titles for my notes, and long paragraphs.  These are all cut off now - it's awful.

This shouldn't be an either/or situation.  There are clearly adherents to both layouts and Evernote should provide both horizontal and vertical views for those that want them.

Please remember that this forum is not an accurate sampling of user preferences.  You will only hear squeaky wheels here.

Squeak squeak!

• Like 1

I just updated to Version 5.1.2 (401261) in Mac OS -  how do I get back to horizontal list split view?  I do not want vertical list split view.

Edited by jefito
Mod: merged to same topic in Mac area.

I prefer the horizontal view over reminders.  Kind of hard to believe reminders module dictates view module.  You have to have someone capable on your design team to provide both horizontal view and reminders!  This issue will cause me not to use Evernote anymore.

I'm also a paid member who uses (used??) the Horizontal List View 95%+ of the time. For me the main advantages are more efficient use of screen real estate, and (most importantly) the ability to sort the list by tags. I use special characters (e.g. # . !) in front of certain tags. The list sorted beautifully on those and helped to organize my work over four locations. Adding a reminder feature is nice, but I use a calendar for that. If the two features are, indeed, mutually exclusive, I'd gladly give up Reminders to restore the Horizontal List View.

FWIW: As someone said above, I'd come to this forum only if I had a problem. I've got too much to do to be checking various app forums just in case they might be thinking of a change. Forums are great, but for this kind of major change an email to registered users would give you a much broader data sample.

Here is another vote for the Horizontal view.

Why:
In order to see the content of the columns panel the app needs to be in fullscreen and even then it's crowded.
The App does not remember the width of the panels so need to realign every time the app is opened.
If the column panel is expanded to the full view some of the Note panel editor buttons disappear on the right (should appear with an arrow down like in Office)
It allows you to see they layout of the note fully.
Better use of space when you have multiple short notes such as when you add to-do items.
...and more

What to do right now:
You can upgrade to an older version on Mac. (see: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31586-getting-previous-versions-of-the-app-to-roll-back-to-mac/)
You can use the web version that still supports horizontal view, and does it pretty well. It also has visual cues to show what folder and tags are selected together that are not shown on Mac.
You can install the Windows version if you have Parallels, or similar. Ctrl-Shift-F5 allows you to switch between horizontal and vertical in list view.

You don't need to spend ages trawling through the forums to see what's upcoming -- the betas generally give you that kind of information, and a chance to feed back on it early in the process (doesn't mean that Evernote will always heed it). You can either hop on the beta train (though some folks understandably don't want to be beta testers, or even use new releases right away), or subscribe to the beta announcement topic threads as they pop up -- they're usually easy to find, as they are pinned to the top of the forum. Not sure that email blasts for every new feature/design change would be the best way to elicit feedback, and I'm sure that some folks would have problems with the idea that Evernote is looking through its user base to find people who are using particular Evernote clients so that they can send them emails for that purpose. Flip side is that I'm not blaming anyone who didn't catch the question in the first place; it's that there may be easier ways to follow new development directions than spending ages in the forums.

I think you have this backwards. The users should not be the ones checking the forums, or monitoring betas watching for changes to the features they love. It's the company that should watch the users. It's called analytics and most major companies and web sites do it. Count the users who use a certain feature, count how many times a certain button is clicked etc. Then anonymously report this back. Or with user's permission tie it to their account. If you see a large number of people using a feature you are going to chop then maybe you should send out a survey? You know like when you go to your Evernote Personal Settings, under emails and there is a little check mark that says YES I am interested in getting Surveys? I know mine is checked. Don't recall getting a survey.

Didn't had a reason to come here , just updated some minutes ago and I'm appalled that you removed such basic functionality. Please bring it back soon, UX is broken.

i'm surprised at all this talk to the effect of "well we asked you all what you thought on the forums so you had the chance to have your say" and "well, you could have tried the Beta release". Why does being a user of an application mean that you would be an active participant in the forums or the Beta programme? I had not used the forums before today, and I only came on to complain about the view list changes. Notes are not really something I feel passionate about, I just want the application to work. I use notes all the time, and I came here from Tomboy notes. Whilst I think Evernote is useful, it does seem quite feature rich, and I do prefer a lighter-weight notes application. When things start getting dictated like how I should use the application, then that's going to annoy me enough to come and air my views. Sorry but my time is too precious to be actively participating in the community for every application I use, especially something which I only use basic functionality of, and just appreciate it being stable and solid. Anyway, I can't imagine I am alone - it's the way people feel. If you care, you need to do something about it, rather than this "oh you had your chance to say, now you are stuck with it" attitude.

> "Where were you all when Evernote asked on these forums to hear from horizontal list view aficionados!?"

This is a classic case of survivor bias.  

Those of us who liked the horizontal view were happy as clams and had no need to come here.  Now you will be hearing from us in droves, I imagine.  

I've been using a version of the horizontal view pretty much since I started using Evernote, and taking it out deprives us of a huge amount of real estate.  

Because I used the horizontal view, I tend to use long titles for my notes, and long paragraphs.  These are all cut off now - it's awful.

This shouldn't be an either/or situation.  There are clearly adherents to both layouts and Evernote should provide both horizontal and vertical views for those that want them.

Please remember that this forum is not an accurate sampling of user preferences.  You will only hear squeaky wheels here.

Squeak squeak!

Hi. Welcome to the forums! And, thanks for squeaking your feedback :)

Just to set the record straight, I spoke up on your behalf for keeping both views, even though I am not a regular horizontal list view user (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34709-horizontal-vs-vertical-list-views/#entry188109)!

Where I disagree with you about not speaking up is that you have to speak up. Sorry, but you need to be doing this for every app that you care about, even if you only care about it a little bit. Bookmark the relevant forum sites and pop in to follow things every once in a while (most of the forums I visit are dead quiet, so this isn't as difficult as it sounds). Make your use case known to the developers, get to know them (a couple of emails telling them how much you like their app and what you like about it). Obviously, you shouldn't waste your time (in my opinion) with some massive products like Word or PowerPoint, because you are unlikely to get through to anyone of relevance. But, Evernote's developers are relatively easy to contact -- just post on the forums!

It only takes about 5 minutes. Let's say you have 10 apps you use enough that you'd miss them if they were gone. Email one app developer a day, and by the beginning of next month, with just 50 minutes invested, you will have made your voice heard. Surely, everyone has 5 minutes to spare for something they care this much about, right? Put down angry birds next time you go to the bathroom and send off an email instead :)

• Like 1

Oh. I should also not only thank you for posting your displeasure with the update, but encourage you and everyone else to continue to voice your thoughts here. The only way the developers will know is if you speak up and say something. I don't know if they will agree to change it, but they do listen, and that is something more than I can say for some developers (I can't even figure out how to contact some developers of other apps/services, and posting on their forums hasn't ever gotten me a response). The nice thing about Evernote is that they pay attention (again, they may not agree with you, but they are at least participating in the conversation). 

For those of you needing the Horizontal List View for TSW, I recommend using the List View and selecting the appropriate columns (Created, Title, and Tags), expanding the left pane, and reducing the right pane.

I was a bit frustrated when I noticed that the Horizontal List View was gone, but the List View works just as well (albeit not as gracefully).  I keep more than my to-dos on EN, so I find myself switching between List View and Snippet View regularly.

I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 2

i cannot believe that i am here, complaining about this!!! the evernote folks have nothing short of gaul removing the horizontal view.  what is there now sucks.  i don't even want to use it, and any work-around is nothing more than that.

on the other hand i'm not surprised.  the folks at evernote do what the want and don't listen often.  i've monitored this in the past.  whether it be fanboys or employees, you are handed a positively worded NO to your requests, and all is forgotten, as if we don't notice they've said no.

this is an un-accomodating group who cares mostly about how they want the product to be used, and little about how it actually is.  they are ripe for competition.

listen for a change people and fix this!!!

Now that I have both downgraded Evernote and quashed  my displeasure, and have also read all the comments. I can act like an adult. I don't think I did, before.

I want reminders. I was pleased to see the implementation and it does work, but it cuts my screen real estate in half. LIke many here, I think the missing view is essential and is a default position for visualizing one's data. That's what I miss about the view: I cannot see the picture of things I need to see all at once any longer, yet I use EN for everything, so everything I do is affected.

A solution is to add the view back in, but that is hard to do and keep reminders. I propose adding the view back in without reminders. I'm a Mac users, we all are, in this part of the forum ( I think) so there's an app for that: Reminders for Mac/iOS. We can use that, or if not, switch views. But first there must be a view to which we can switch.

I think this works: Put in the view without access to reminders and if the user wants reminders the user can switch to get it. But some may say "But then it won't be available everywhere!" No view is available all the time, one must switch views to see a particular view, that's why they exist: so that the user may have different perspective on his data. Allow us this default perspective please.

• Like 2

so... what the hell are reminders anyway, and why are they more important than the actual notes in a program called EverNOTE? I don't use Evernote for reminders, I use outlook tasks. If I didn't have that I would have Mac calendar. What is this rubbish that we are being told we need above all else?

Here is how to downgrade (upgrade) to a previous version:

1. Backup your database

2. Go here: http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/

3. Download version 5.0.7 (latest version with horizontal view)

4. Profit.

To the EN team: please let me know when the horizontal view returns.  I will gladly upgrade then.

The reason I prefer the horizontal view is that I frequently work on a small laptop screen with multiple windows open.  My limited screen real estate makes this view much more useful and intuitive.  

• Like 2

so... what the hell are reminders anyway, and why are they more important than the actual notes in a program called EverNOTE? I don't use Evernote for reminders, I use outlook tasks. If I didn't have that I would have Mac calendar. What is this rubbish that we are being told we need above all else?

Reminders were put in because a great many Evernote users asked for date-related features. Reminders are a new note facility; some might even think that they enhance what notes are. You can read more about them here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/23/evernote-reminders-are-here-on-mac-ios-and-web-2/. Not sure why you'd judge them as "rubbish" without knowing what they are, though.

There was no public beta to give feedback to. This development came out of the blue. Even for those of us who keep up on the forums.

Where I disagree with you about not speaking up is that you have to speak up. Sorry, but you need to be doing this for every app that you care about, even if you only care about it a little bit. Bookmark the relevant forum sites and pop in to follow things every once in a while (most of the forums I visit are dead quiet, so this isn't as difficult as it sounds). Make your use case known to the developers, get to know them (a couple of emails telling them how much you like their app and what you like about it). Obviously, you shouldn't waste your time (in my opinion) with some massive products like Word or PowerPoint, because you are unlikely to get through to anyone of relevance. But, Evernote's developers are relatively easy to contact -- just post on the forums!

I agree about speaking up, and you know I do speak up. But I find this a little condescending, Grumps. Speaking up is what we're doing right here in this thread, innit? When and where would he - or anyone else - have spoken up about this issue before it became apparent? There was no beta, the aforementioned forum post did not suggest this was going to happen ...

There was no public beta to give feedback to. This development came out of the blue. Even for those of us who keep up on the forums.

If that's the case (I don't follow the Mac products very closely), then I'll take at least that some of that back. I can certainly see while you Mac folks feel blind-sided by this change. I've been seeing reminders in the Android betas for the last two or three revs, though. Even so, I think that it's better to be involved than not -- I'm guessing that there's a little bit of thought going into some redesign behind the scenes right now as a result of some very recent "engagement".

For those of you needing the Horizontal List View for TSW, I recommend using the List View and selecting the appropriate columns (Created, Title, and Tags), expanding the left pane, and reducing the right pane.

I was a bit frustrated when I noticed that the Horizontal List View was gone, but the List View works just as well (albeit not as gracefully).  I keep more than my to-dos on EN, so I find myself switching between List View and Snippet View regularly.

I hope this helps a bit.

When I try to select columns to view, the options presented to me are Title, Dates, Source, and Size. Where are you finding a Tag option?

>>Where I disagree with you about not speaking up is that you have to speak up. Sorry, but you need to be doing this for every app that you care about, even if you only care about it a little bit. Bookmark the relevant forum sites and pop in to follow things every once in a while (most of the forums I visit are dead quiet, so this isn't as difficult as it sounds). Make your use case known to the developers, get to know them (a couple of emails telling them how much you like their app and what you like about it). Obviously, you shouldn't waste your time (in my opinion) with some massive products like Word or PowerPoint, because you are unlikely to get through to anyone of relevance. But, Evernote's developers are relatively easy to contact -- just post on the forums!

I agree about speaking up, and you know I do speak up. But I find this a little condescending, Grumps. Speaking up is what we're doing right here in this thread, innit? When and where would he - or anyone else - have spoken up about this issue before it became apparent? There was no beta, the aforementioned forum post did not suggest this was going to happen ...

Not meant to be condescending at all. I thanked them for posting and encouraged everyone to post more. My advice is general advice for everyone: if you like something enough that you would miss it if it were gone (this goes for loved ones, loved apps, loved products) then speak up before it is gone. Be proactive and spend a minute to write and say "Love the app, especially horizontal view, incremental search, and gray on gray text. Thanks for all the hard work!" Do this for all your favorite apps.

The Developers Listen

Evernote developers listen. I don't see eye to eye with some of them on a lot of things (all three of those items above are ones I don't like much), but I know they all at least read what we say and consider our input. Naturally, just as there are some developers who think one way (dlu advocates for the horizontal view http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20983-optimal-space-usage-in-list-view/?p=106423) and others who think another way (jackolicious decided on the vertical over the horizontal), there are users in different camps.

I Want More Options

Where am I? I say give us a streamlined and minimalistic interface (one of my favorites is notational velocity) as the default, with as many options as possible to customize our experience. There is no reason in the world why a business professional ought to have to use the same interface as a schoolchild or a researcher at a university. The use cases are very different, and people like to have choice, even if they don't use it.

The Bell Tolls for You!

Of course Evernote didn't say they were going to get rid of horizontal view! But, they have a long history of whittling down features (in recent years we have lost font control in titles and the center pane, the customizable toolbar, editable saved searches (we just got them back!), black on white text, etc., etc.). When the bell tolls for one feature, it tolls for them all! This is why I spoke up even for the horizontallers, even when there was (not yet) any hint that they would be lost to us; I don't want any more features lost, and I want more app parity. Every update carries with it the potential for loss, and I assume that for everything added, one or two things will go. Sometimes this is for the good (I didn't miss the favorites bar when it went away), and sometimes it isn't (I "miss" the ability to turn off incremental search on Windows -- we've never gotten this option on the Mac, and every beachball is a colorful reminder of what I miss out on by using a Mac). 

I know my constant nagging about this or that feature, especially when it means they have to keep around something that doesn't fit so well into their current direction with the app, can be a pain for the developers sometimes, but I think someone ought to play devil's advocate, because as comforting as a design philosophy can be, it inevitably writes out other possibilities for the app, and it is worth pausing a bit to discuss it, even if we may not agree.

My post was simply meant to encourage more people to join in speaking up for features if they care about them. That's all. I wouldn't mind people dropping into the forums and speaking more eloquently than I can for the argument not to trim all of the fat from an app, though! In my opinion, a little fat can be a good thing, and there is a nice kobe beef between a slab of gristle and a slab of fat. 

Here is how to downgrade (upgrade) to a previous version:

1. Backup your database

2. Go here: http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/

3. Download version 5.0.7 (latest version with horizontal view)

4. Profit.

To the EN team: please let me know when the horizontal view returns.  I will gladly upgrade then.

The reason I prefer the horizontal view is that I frequently work on a small laptop screen with multiple windows open.  My limited screen real estate makes this view much more useful and intuitive.  

I downloaded and installed the "older" version (5.0.7) as you suggested. Works great.

Even when someone's climb to the top of the pack is based on merit, they're still a target. Appreciate all the EN folks have done to give us a good product. I'll keep using this version until they're able to sort things out.

I hope this helps a bit.

When I try to select columns to view, the options presented to me are Title, Dates, Source, and Size. Where are you finding a Tag option?

Switch to the List View, then right-click on one of the column headers.  You'll see the option to display or hide the columns Author, Created, Notebook, Size, Source URL, Sync Status, Tags, Title, and Updated.

• Like 1

Yikes! I really don't like the vertical layout for list view. So many of my notes have photos, drawings, etc, and the vertical format is terrible for them.

Also, if you are a heavy user with multiple notebooks, the vertical layout really truncates the information that is displayed.

Now the layout is very text heavy, with little white space. It is much harder to read.

Please, please give us back the horizontal display for List view!

Thanks JesseE for the instructions on how to downgrade back to a version that has horizontal views. Worked like a charm!

To me, it's much more important to be able to use a tool the way I want to use it. While I'm sure there are a number of wonderful features I might be missing out on with the older version, those features won't do me a world of good if I don't use the product in the first place. When EN decides to add horizontal view back in, then I will gladly upgrade.

Like others, what a miserable discovery. I use the tags view ALL THE TIME. I sort my notes by businesses, and this new view is crippling. I track by date created and sort by date edited if need be. I actually had been reading an article on how great Evernote is, noted some ideas it had that I had not thought of, and opened up Evernote to try them out. 

I get how easy it is to make these types of mistakes. It always sucks that customers ultimately pick up the bill...

I'm Premium member. Have loved the product, but losing horizontal view just killed my workflow. I have no reasons to add that haven't already been well-articulated.

I've tried vertical view in the past. Doesn't add value for me, nor do reminders. Being able to see my stuff in a way to which I've acclimated is paramount.

Been a premium member for a couple of years now. I don't use the forums unless I'm having a problem with Evernote, so I didn't see any post about removing horizontal list view. Please consider this backlash.

The new vertical view is a terrible waste of space for me. I use (and pay) for Evernote because it's a great program for writing, reading, and searching notes, not because of reminders or other frills. I'm all for adding new functionality but not that affects the core purpose of Evernote!

Could someone please explain how I might go about downgrading from 5.1.0? 

EXACTLY.  Sorry guys but I'm working a lot of hours. I use Evernote but I don't have time to hang out on the forums to protect the features that I use all the time! Imagine if we had to do that for all our apps? I come here only when a change messes things up and I want to stomp around and complain and ask to have it back.

PLEASE???

You want to know why I like the old list view, and why the new view doesn't work for me?

Because my screen is wider than it is tall.

Because horizontal screen space is valuable, and this new list view just took up 1/3 of it.

Because having the list on top keeps it out of the way. If I need to, I can glance up. If I need more note space, I can make the list view almost disappear.

Evernote just took away 50% of the horizontal real estate. Now any notes

I have with long titles (e.g. many things clipped from web) are cut

off.

EDITED by moderator to remove links.

Just downgraded until the horizontal view is restored. Longtime Evernote user (since it was just one big evernote without note titles), and been a premium user since it became available, not because I need any of the extra features (I really just use a ton of basic text notes), but because I want to support the company. I've seen hundreds if not thousands of UI changes in Evernote, and this is the first one that really broke my workflow. I use fairly long titles for my notes, and I can't even read them in vertical view without taking double the horizontal space. This is literally my first time using the forums since I started using Evernote in 2005 or so.

• Like 1

I'll just add my voice in as well. I'd also like to see either a return of horizontal view, the ability to hide views altogether (not my preferred option, but I'd do better without that extra column). On my MBPr, I have Evernote displaying in all spaces, and only taking up the right half of the screen so I can use it in conjunction with all of my other programs. I write a lot of product documentation for software development, and having my notebook take up that much more real estate and/or reduce the size of the notes/document space I have to write in is far less effective for me.

I've only visited the forums a couple of times to figure out how to do a couple of specific things in Evernote (like highlighting text). A few minutes ago I updated the app and was surprised to see horizontal view disappear. I spent about 20 minutes fumbling around trying to figure out how to get it back, then came here, found this thread, and learned it was by intention. I'm going to try as a few others have suggested and use Time Machine to find the previous version of the app - hopefully that works.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

+1 for bringing back horizontal view, and keeping reminders in a collapsable vertical tab if needed.  Even with the old UI I always thought it was still too wide when minimized horizontally.  Now with the list view in another vertical tab, it takes up way to much much width on the screen to be useful.  EspecialIy impossible on a laptop when working back and forth between other apps.  

what's wrong with having reminders feature you can enable or disable, and only if enabled do you force vertical list? If disabled you can choose list type as previous?

Just another GTD/Secret Weapon user who cringes when I see the side-by-side view.  Please give us back the stacked view!

I have now downgraded to v5.0.7 (thanks, JesseE for the link to the older version) in order to get back the horizontal list view.

This whole business is very disappointing. Reminders are a great new feature that I would love to be able to use. I commend EN for implementing this. But the approach taken is dismaying. First, the notion that reminders and horizontal view are intrinsically mutually exclusive is patently absurd. This is kind iof like a car manufacturer saying you can either have air conditioning or an audio system in your car, but you can't have both because there's not enough room on the dashboard for both sets of controls. Second, the idea that you might be able to asses the impact on the broad user base of a major UI change by posting a very low-key query ("do you like this feature and why?", http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34709-horizontal-vs-vertical-list-views/) on a forum frequented by a minuscule proportion of your entire user base is unrealistic to say the least.

Thanks to the many folks who have done a good job above of articulating the reasons why eliminating the horizontal view is a bad idea.

I will be watching update notices and hoping for the introduction of the clear appropriate solution-- a mechanism for users to choose whichever list view works best for them, without sacrificing access to key features (like reminders).

• Like 1