Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

15 hours ago, FredJ said:

So, I just noticed I can only select 100 notes of my 3000+... so how do I NOW (v10) do a backup for the day EN / BS announces bankruptcy??  Is there still an .ENEX export??

You don't need that ability of selecting more than 100 notes to do regular, incremental backups. They can even be automated, see responses below.

But: the 100 notes limitation is a major pain in the *** if you want to reorganize your notebooks or tags.

I have reported the problem, but as usual: no response.

BTW: In legacy one could easily select all notes. That's not such a great thing either.

But perhaps a more meaningful limit, say 1000 notes, would be a good compromise.

This is one of the examples how useful features were eliminated at the will have the designers. They were surely not users of EN. If they were, they would have known.

Ok, so i was on older version since 2014, today Im looking for the alternative? Do you have any recommendations, I'm looking for something similar as legacy version. The new one is ***** with so many points. I want to leave my subscription as fast as possible. Cheers!

Hi Alxa, I have the new version on Evernote Web, but trying to download v10 on my Android phone, however, on the Play Store there is only the Legacy version. How do I continue using the app on my cell phone? I'm evernote personal.

• Level 5*

How about we say that the 'winging about other contributors' portion of this exercise is over and just stop stirring?  No-one here is perfect (especially including me).  Please feel free to discuss and compare Evernote and other apps,  but lay off the personals (justified or not).

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@Razmataz There was a possibility to raise it to about 1.000 by editing a json file.

But it resetted every time the app updated. So I didn’t try for quite a while if it still works. This is on a Mac, the same file exists on Windows.

/users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Evernote/config.json

The limit can be raised to 500 or more. It will run longer, but requires fewer actions. With 1.000 or close to it it stopped working, so there may be another limit.
  1. Quit Evernote
  2. Open Finder
  3. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  4. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  5. Locate the folder titled Evernote and open it
  6. Save a copy of the config.json file with an addition like .OLD as a safety copy.
  7. Open the config.json file in a text editor
  8. The "qa" section must be changed to this. If there is no QA section, add this code before the end of the config.json file, inside of the last bracket:
"qa": {
"multiSelectionLimit": 500
}

9. Set the number of notes you wish to allow.  There is a limit of about 1,000 maximum so there's no benefit in going for a larger number.  I have it set at 500.
10. Save the amended file and restart Evernote

Actually I live with the 100 limit. If I do a lot of changes, I take the client offline first. Then I edit, saving local only. This is faster than while online.

The syncing happens when I take the client back online, and go to get a coffee.
  • Thanks 1
On 3/19/2024 at 5:06 PM, fuchsfr said:

@PinkElephant

Sometimes I wonder....

... Are you guys actually using the Evernote product, 

or 

just experts of the Evernote forum.

With number that high it seems like a full time job,

or

A hobby that consumes a lot of your time.

Do you do anything else?

walk a dog, 

make dinner for your special some one?

Hike?

Man get a f**king Life.

I sure hope I'm actually using the Evernote product, because there are 15000+ notes in my account.
Plus, I do other stuff like walk my dog, and make dinner for my special someones.

But no hiking.

Maybe that's where I went wrong?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, oalfredoneto said:

Hi Alxa, I have the new version on Evernote Web, but trying to download v10 on my Android phone, however, on the Play Store there is only the Legacy version. How do I continue using the app on my cell phone? I'm evernote personal.

Sounds like my problem as well - I have got a notification telling me to update, well, OK, I go to Google Play, Evernote is at the latest version (coming from 2020..?). I go back to app, try to synchronize, "network error". Personal user on HTC U11+.

6 minutes ago, ildar170975 said:

Using Evernote_6.25.3.9348

Cannot sync - there is always a red exclamation mark on a button.

Just to confirm - is it OVER?

Have to install a shiny v10?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

How about we say that the 'winging about other contributors' portion of this exercise is over and just stop stirring?  No-one here is perfect (especially including me).  Please feel free to discuss and compare Evernote and other apps,  but lay off the personals (justified or not).

Predictable.

In other news, my Android legacy version (which I kept for experimental purposes) logged me off and would not reauthenticate this morning. I had to install v.10, which went fine. I was already running v.10 on windows and iPad.

My firewalled legacy versions running on desktop and laptop are working fine. I have not tried to see what would happen if I remove the firewall - though I did not have the firewalls in place this morning because I forgot. I did not try to sync before enabling the rules, and I still can use Legacy as before, but with no syncing of course. This is just for backup and reassurance purposes.

It does sound from the few comments so far like keeping legacy un-firewalled is not a problem though - sync just fails.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ildar170975 said:

I prefer a clear a simple answer instead of clips, memes etc.

Legacy support ends today. So 99.99 percent of the answer is clear. It's over. Install v.10

• Like 1
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Just noting that today is the 26th so we should expect Legacy applications to stop working sometime today.

Hello all,

simple message, from what I'm experiencing, to inform (in case others, like me, missed a warning), not only the Legacy version stopped "syncing" :
- I was on the desktop v10.63.3 which I was litteraly kicked off at launch (so I evidentially installed v10.81.4)... first surprise for someone using a v10, but anyway;
- Second surprise was from my smartphone : I got also kicked off from my v8.13.3, whereas here I never got any warning from Evernote about having to update the Android client.
Not the end of the world for me, as I'm already moving to something more sustainable for my future, but a bit of embittering as I've been a long time user (since 2013) and subscriber (since 2015) who has relied too much on this tool for my GTD . 

Side note : in term of communication, I've known better approaches...

Transitioning from Legacy to V10 as an 83-year-old Evernote user has been quite the journey. I created my first note back in May of 2005, and today, I have amassed over 10,500 notes. While I'm unsure how this number compares to other users, managing them keeps me occupied. Sensing the impending changes, I took the plunge in late January and downloaded Version 10. The download itself was swift, and to my relief, the note count in the new version matched that of Legacy. However, upon opening Version 10, I was met with shock—its performance was sluggish to say the least.

Leaving the new version running in the background, I scoured the internet for answers. A special thanks to Dave Edwards and his informative videos on the new Evernote. One video, in particular, caught my attention—it detailed how the Legacy notes need to undergo a process for V10 to read them, advising patience. As I exercised patience, I began familiarizing myself with the new layout, noting the relocation or disappearance of familiar buttons.

Nine weeks have passed since then, and today, I've managed to locate most of my favorite buttons, links, and shortcuts. However, one feature I sorely miss is the ability to color code notebooks, which was immensely helpful in my Evernote usage. Many of my notebooks, such as Family Photos, Family History, and Travel, were easily identifiable by color, which streamlined my workflow.

Looking ahead, I'm optimistic about the new features introduced in V10 and am committed to integrating them into my Evernote usage. However, one concern lingers—price. Nonetheless, where else can you have your own personal filing system accessible anywhere in the world for just 37 cents a day?

Regardless of age, the journey of learning never ends!
Best regards,
ClutterBGone
March 26, 2024

Just for fun I ran the above through the AI Summarizer program: What do you think?
Transitioning from Legacy to V10 as an 83-year-old Evernote user has been quite the journey, with over 10,500 notes accumulated since 2005. Upon downloading V10, the note count matched that of Legacy, but its performance was sluggish. Seeking solutions online, I found Dave Edwards' informative videos about V10 and learned about the process for V10 to read Legacy notes. Despite familiarizing myself with the new layout, I miss the ability to color code notebooks, which streamlined my workflow. Despite optimism for new V10 features, concern remains about the price, although Evernote offers accessibility for just 37 cents a day.
  • Like 9
2 horas atrás, Razmataz disse:

Well, good bye Evernote Legacy!

My copy still starts but doesn't sync anymore, as it seems. So that's the end of EN legacy.

I want to pause for a moment and reflect. EN legacy was a very useful tool. It made me very productive, indeed. I was a paying customer for 15 years and amassed some 16K notes in about 16GB storage space. I used EN in various way, as it offered different "personalities" for a number of usage scenarios.

I loved EN, promoted it and recommended it to many colleagues and friends.

When V10 was announced I was very optimistic. But the quality of the client was shocking and the number of dropped features bewildering. So I went back to legacy. I tried V10 every 6 months or so, just to establish that it is essentially in the same state, not much progress from my personal perspective.

We were promised that over time, many omitted features will come back. But after more than 3 years, they just did not. A good example was the import folder. It carried the statement ("coming soon") in its option for the deletion of files upon successful import. It never came. After I reported the problem many times, they just took away the "coming soon" statement.

About 5 months ago I started to look into alternatives, as I concluded that product management is non-existent, product planning ditto. New, jazzy features get introduced that I don't need. They all come with their own set of issues even bugs.

I am not sufficiently technical I guess, so I couldn't find an adequate replacement as of yet. Thus decided to subscribe for another year. I didn't realize that prices have been tripled in the meantime.

I have been trying hard to "get used to" V10. But the client is a mess. Very buggy, (e.g. PDF printing/exporting, HTML-export), lacks a structure (application specific option barely exist, those that do are dispersed all over the place), it has serious performance issues and, perhaps most infuriatingly, it kills my productivity. It does that by taking away simple but useful functions (e.g. select more than 100 notes, save attachments of a couple of selected notes or ability to change the mod-date of a note). It is not intuitive to use (e.g. grayed out option to copy/paste on context menu but the very same options are available on the main menu). 

It has become very tedious to use EN, one needs external tools (e.g. Autohotkey) to compensate for missing functions. Action that were in clear sight and needed just one click are hidden now and need 6-7 clicks to accomplish (if it is possible at all, which is frequently not the case). Usability and productivity are not something EN product management is wasting time on.

I don't buy reasoning that only features were removed that nobody used. Really, nobody printed PDF, nobody exported to HTML etc.? BTW, by that argument, tags will have to go, too.

V10 is in a terrible shape from my perspective. But the company has developed into a frightening operation, too. Customer support has been eliminated, bugs are not being fixed (some glaring ones are over 3 years old) and in general EN/BS is largely ignoring the customer base. Perhaps they want to get rid of customers who used legacy, just to stop complaints. 

It is quite amazing, all this. What the investor thinks is a riddle to me.

Anyway, I did yesterday the very last printing to PDF, exporting to HTML (with working links and no "untitled attachments), reorganizing with more than 100 notes selected etc. Then I did my backups and drank a glass of wine, toasting to EN legacy.

EN legacy was a wonderful idea, an affordable and  good piece of software and EN was a good, responsive company.

The rest we will see. I am not saying that EN will not be able to come to senses and turn around this business. But it is not on a good trajectory, that's for sure.

This BS/EN is not the original inventor of EN. So there isn't anyone anymore that I could say thank you for Evernote (legacy). But thank you anyway, for the productivity gains I used to have. Sigh.

I subscribe.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, ClutterBGone said:
Transitioning from Legacy to V10 as an 83-year-old Evernote user has been quite the journey. I created my first note back in May of 2005, and today, I have amassed over 10,500 notes. While I'm unsure how this number compares to other users, managing them keeps me occupied. Sensing the impending changes, I took the plunge in late January and downloaded Version 10. The download itself was swift, and to my relief, the note count in the new version matched that of Legacy. However, upon opening Version 10, I was met with shock—its performance was sluggish to say the least.

Leaving the new version running in the background, I scoured the internet for answers. A special thanks to Dave Edwards and his informative videos on the new Evernote. One video, in particular, caught my attention—it detailed how the Legacy notes need to undergo a process for V10 to read them, advising patience. As I exercised patience, I began familiarizing myself with the new layout, noting the relocation or disappearance of familiar buttons.

Nine weeks have passed since then, and today, I've managed to locate most of my favorite buttons, links, and shortcuts. However, one feature I sorely miss is the ability to color code notebooks, which was immensely helpful in my Evernote usage. Many of my notebooks, such as Family Photos, Family History, and Travel, were easily identifiable by color, which streamlined my workflow.

Looking ahead, I'm optimistic about the new features introduced in V10 and am committed to integrating them into my Evernote usage. However, one concern lingers—price. Nonetheless, where else can you have your own personal filing system accessible anywhere in the world for just 37 cents a day?

Best regards,
ClutterBGone
March 26, 2024

Just for fun I ran the above through the AI Summarizer program: What do you think?
Transitioning from Legacy to V10 as an 83-year-old Evernote user has been quite the journey, with over 10,500 notes accumulated since 2005. Upon downloading V10, the note count matched that of Legacy, but its performance was sluggish. Seeking solutions online, I found Dave Edwards' informative videos about V10 and learned about the process for V10 to read Legacy notes. Despite familiarizing myself with the new layout, I miss the ability to color code notebooks, which streamlined my workflow. Despite optimism for new V10 features, concern remains about the price, although Evernote offers accessibility for just 37 cents a day.

Try use Emoji for different colour - I Use it in TAGS. Maybe in Notebooks will be OK - For expamle on END:

https://getemoji.com/

image.png.0a3e689eec9aca5908ca35bbbc52e678.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ClutterBGone said:

I've used the summarise feature quite a lot since it came out. Very useful for creating a few bullets for when I email reports to clients.

Enjoyed that post.

• Like 3

In preparation for the death of an old friend named LEGACY last night I was to exporting all 6 of my folders that contain all 6857 of my notes. I was successful with 5 of those folders, but the largest one with 6457 notes always froze at note 5044. I tried several things but could not get it to work & ended up creating a support ticket only to get an auto-reply suggesting I restart my computer. Needless to say I don't understand how they can kill Legacy when they can't even get a backup of my data to work.

Now I'm on V10 (sigh...) and thought I'd try to export that folder as an ENEX.  It's been over 10 minutes so far and it's only at 8% (whereas Legacy was at 5044 notes out of 6457 in 4 minutes).  Wait, since I started writing this it too has now failed with an error.

On another issue, I sent a photo from my Android phone to V10 & after 20 minutes it still wasn't in my desktop app, so I opened the phone app to check & then it appeared on desktop.

Brilliant. Such progress has truly been made with V10.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert
10 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

In preparation for the death of an old friend named LEGACY last night I was to exporting all 6 of my folders that contain all 6857 of my notes. I was successful with 5 of those folders, but the largest one with 6457 notes always froze at note 5044. I tried several things but could not get it to work & ended up creating a support ticket only to get an auto-reply suggesting I restart my computer. Needless to say I don't understand how they can kill Legacy when they can't even get a backup of my data to work.

Now I'm on V10 (sigh...) and thought I'd try to export that folder as an ENEX.  It's been over 10 minutes so far and it's only at 8% (whereas Legacy was at 5044 notes out of 6457 in 4 minutes).  Wait, since I started writing this it too has now failed with an error.

I can 90% guarantee that note 5044 was corrupted. I had a similar issue a few months back. I think the solution was to duplicate the faulty note so that it was recreated. Then delete the original.  It seemed to fix the ENEX export.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I can 90% guarantee that note 5044 was corrupted. I had a similar issue a few months back. I think the solution was to duplicate the faulty note so that it was recreated. Then delete the original.  It seemed to fix the ENEX export.

And how does he find out which note it is?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

That's a fair question.  My memory of that is even more vague.  I'd start with the Evernote log files. I think that the note name might be included in the log entry.

3 minutes ago, ildar170975 said:

Or is it removed since "users do not need it"?

Yeah, you don't need it. Sync is in real time, pretty much character by character.

You can see it working by opening the same note on different devices and then editing one of them. it'll show up on the other almost instantly.

• Haha 2

Yep it's confirmed - 100% legacy has gone.. R.I.P..

Stopped syncing and rather than look through my notes in Legacy and leave it open I just thought I'd sign out of it completely and upon trying to sign in it shows:

image.png.68f8483f2114e1c946d754519c320465.png

So it's a final farewell. 

I did backup all of my notes. A few times over the course of last week, to be fair, so I have multiple copies which will be distributed to multiple external hard disks, I'll even give Elon a HDD to take to Mars I think at this stage for a proper off-site backup

Let the fun times roll with v10...

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, jpaz said:

I used colored tags in Legacy and will try this, thks.

Just be careful where you put the emoji. If it's at the beginning, you'll have a hard time filling in the TAG in the note, because you'd have to start with the Emoji for it to even offer it to you to click on...
That's why I only have it on Tags that are nested Tags as the main structure, and I never use those directly in notes...
Consider using at the end of a word...

• Like 1
1 hora atrás, ClutterBGone disse:

Best regards,
ClutterBGone
March 26, 2024

I also miss the color option but it was something small that makes little difference to me in practice. I've been using the v10 since launch and although there are really things missing, I'm already completely used to it. I don't find it as slow as they say and practically everything I need for my flow is there. I am satisfied!

48 minutes ago, ferol said:

And how does he find out which note it is?

I had that once and bisection is your friend. Always halving the set, take out the half that works and re-iterate. In 13 steps (well, yeah) you can sort out 8K notes.

In my case it was just 8 iterations or so.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

I also miss the color option but it was something small that makes little difference to me in practice. I've been using the v10 since launch and although there are really things missing, I'm already completely used to it. I don't find it as slow as they say and practically everything I need for my flow is there. I am satisfied!

a little provocation.......Obsidian ... my own Theme setting (my custom css) + Color on Folders.... 😉

Possibility to change the size of texts on individual levels of the tree structure - also through my own custom css, which I put together... you do it once and you can use it for years... and no developer is likely to change it from one day to the next...

image.thumb.png.bfb5169f2b0995da368ea8750d21b2bd.png

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

I had that once and bisection is your friend. Always halving the set, take out the half that works and re-iterate. In 13 steps (well, yeah) you can sort out 8K notes.

In my case it was just 8 iterations or so.

And divide it with a limit of 100 notes per select.. amazing meditation...

I am still reading this thread, it has become very long. Apologies if I have missed this earlier (I'm still reading and will finish it)

I am NOT opposed to upgrading (I've had legacy and a current version on my computer for years at this point). Alot of bashing for those of us who liked the Legacy UI :( Disappointing as I'm just a simple user trying to get my work done. I've got no ego, just tryna work.

Is there a way to see more notes in the same space? Here is what I am seeing, and I don't fully understand what I am missing...

I took two screenshots with two different zoom levels. Font is small, and super small, and both zoom levels don't show very many notes in screen.

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 10.37.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 10.37.25 AM.png

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

I just started creating notes.  It's not syncing to a server, but it stored locally.

Yeah maybe that'll work until it logs out, as for me I'm done I signed out and cannot sign back in.. I'm going to delete the local legacy database files and call it a day and start rolling with v10.

Good luck y'all  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ferol said:

And divide it with a limit of 100 notes per select.. amazing meditation...

Hah, you caught me there. I forgot: this was on legacy! Another reason to be furious at the 100 notes limit.

Sorry @ferol, I was having a senior moment.

On the up side, the V10 enthusiast will probably say: in V10 there will be no note corruption, ever, so cheer up! 😊

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Insanely slow startups... 

I only have fiber full 200Mbps both ways, but this is V10 startup is unbearable!

Is this 'new application startup' message that I get every time normal?

I finally uninstalled, reinstalled, now slow, but about 5sec startup instead of 15sec sometimes...

I read the whole 7 pages. I'm going to go ahead and say this publicly:

@s2sailor and @macfixer and others, you might have an internal chat about moderation discussions. Wow alot of constant toxicity from PE.

I'm just getting my work done and want to get home to my family. No skin off my back. But just keep in mind by choosing to leave a caustic member unchecked, other kinder members will leave.

For members who liked V. 7, this depreciation is a tough pill to swallow. Nothing more, nothing less. We knew it was coming. We're not idiots.

Acid being thrown at us with mods watching on (and even trolling themselves) is, unfortunate I guess is the best word.

I know online forums are legendary for this. But just stating what is apparent to many of us.

😥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

LOL - So the very same day the cancel legacy they send out an email stating they are increasing the price.

Bit of a p*ss take to be fair .. same day ?

I received this 10 mins ago... 

We're writing to let you know about an upcoming change to your Evernote Personal subscription.

Also, we're excited to bring you an update on some of Evernote's latest features and improvements. Each one is designed to help you enhance your productivity. The team has been working hard to bring them to you—more on this below.

First, the new pricing. The price of your Annual subscription will change to 79.99 GBP per Year. The new price will take effect on your next renewal, 4/23/2024. New pricing came into effect as of May 1, 2023 for new subscribers.

By introducing new pricing, we know there's a risk of disappointing valued Evernote customers like you. The change helps us continue improving the performance and reliability of the product we all love, as well as adding exciting new features. Rest assured that you won't be paying more for just the same product—we think you're going to enjoy and get great value out of the latest features and improvements.

Here are a few of them…

Real-Time Editing. With Real-Time Editing, you can now seamlessly edit a note on multiple devices simultaneously. So if you start typing on your smartphone, for example, you immediately see these characters appear on the version that's open on your laptop. And when you share a note with someone else, you can finally all collaborate on it together in real time—reliably. Real-Time Editing is useful for everyone wishing to edit on multiple devices or share their notes with others, and for Teams users in particular. Learn more.

Synchronization technology. We've been working on revamping Evernote's technological foundation to boost the speed and reliability of synchronization. This is an area flagged by Evernote customers over the years, and we're investing heavily to take giant strides forward in this regard. You may have already noticed how much smoother the sync experience is. In addition, the frequency of same-note conflicts has been dramatically reduced (and, for most users, completely eliminated). Additional improvements are coming in the next weeks, focused on enhanced syncing of shared and newly created notes.

AI Note Cleanup (now in public beta). We've been grafting away behind the scenes to add AI capabilities to Evernote, starting with a simple yet powerful tool. With AI Note Cleanup, you can quickly and easily tidy up messy, scattered notes—without altering their original meaning or tone. We've designed this feature to help you streamline your note-taking process and focus on what matters most. All the while, keeping your data safe by implementing the principles of privacy by design and by default. Learn more.

AI-Powered Search (now in public beta). AI-Powered Search helps you get the right information from your notes—accurately, quickly, and conveniently. Just enter a question in natural language (like What are the to-dos from yesterday's meeting?), and AI-Powered Search pulls out the answer from the content of your notes in a matter of seconds. And if you need to filter your notes instead, that's easily done. Just enter your query and we'll identify the best keywords to use to get the results you're looking for.

And more! The innovation doesn't stop there. We're putting in place plans to make Evernote even more useful, and we're excited to start rolling out more improvements for you.

As a loyal Evernote user, we hope you're as excited as we are about the future of the product. Concerning the pricing change, we're notifying all customers who are impacted before their renewal date. No action on your part is required, but you can manage your subscription anytime by visiting your Account Summary.

As always, we're committed to providing quality services to you, and we appreciate your continued support. If you need any help, just reach out or visit the Help Center for more information.

Sincerely,
Your Evernote Team

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

You received this email because your subscription is up for renewal in 4 weeks.

The similarity in date is coincidental. As told in the email prices were raised  nearly one year ago.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

You received this email because your subscription is up for renewal in 4 weeks.

The similarity in date is coincidental. As told in the email prices were raised  nearly one year ago.

ahh coincidental then :)

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

I read the whole 7 pages. I'm going to go ahead and say this publicly:

@s2sailor and @macfixer and others, you might have an internal chat about moderation discussions. Wow alot of constant toxicity from PE.

I'm just getting my work done and want to get home to my family. No skin off my back. But just keep in mind by choosing to leave a caustic member unchecked, other kinder members will leave.

For members who liked V. 7, this depreciation a tough pill to swallow. Nothing more, nothing less. We knew it was coming. We're not idiots.

Acid being thrown at us with mods watching on (and even trolling themselves) is, unfortunate I guess is the best word.

I know online forums are legendary for this. But just stating what is apparent to many of us.

😥

Aye, seven pages was a slog. It's probably not a coincidence that the higher the post count, the more nonsense is spouted. 

• Like 1
41 minutos atrás, KoZz disse:

ahh coincidental then :)

I know you're sad about the end of the legacy and angry about the price increase but things stop there. Evernote is not messing with you. It was really just a coincidence.

7 hours ago, ben353253 said:

Here's what the denialist evangelists of V10 don't get. Versions 5 and 6 achieved what all great desktop software does: it felt like a tactile, physical object. A tool that you can bend to your will, that's intuitive and get things done with. Classic versions of Outlook feel like this, as does lots of audio production software I use. It's software for grown-ups not hipsters that's written by experienced software engineers - not outsourced nobodies - who are passionate about their product. 

V10 on the other hand is like working with software dipped in molasses. Suddenly you might as well be running a 486. It's so so slow and clumsy to use and can't seemingly even cache notes/thumbnails to work faster. It's just ridiculous and horrible. And yes I've tried it on countless fast Windows systems. I've not tried on Mac. Maybe it flies, but I doubt it very much. It's equally slow on the web. Everyone knows it's just a joke except it seems to those with high toleration for awful software. I wish I could tolerate it...

It is sooooo stinking slow I just cannot believe it... it feels like it was written by a kindergarten class... I find myself for example, hitting the backspace key and then I hit it again cuz I thought my thumb missed it, and then bingo two characters disappear, so freaking maddening...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Tell me this AIN'T SO!!!  PLEASE!!!

I have a simple list of tasks, and I'm trying to move the line, including, of course, the checked box!  Worked great, and i could select the checked box in v7.  Look at all the steps!

(Sorry about the noise at 17 seconds)

Edited by FredJ
Noise
5 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

I am still reading this thread, it has become very long. Apologies if I have missed this earlier (I'm still reading and will finish it)

I am NOT opposed to upgrading (I've had legacy and a current version on my computer for years at this point). Alot of bashing for those of us who liked the Legacy UI :( Disappointing as I'm just a simple user trying to get my work done. I've got no ego, just tryna work.

Is there a way to see more notes in the same space? Here is what I am seeing, and I don't fully understand what I am missing...

I took two screenshots with two different zoom levels. Font is small, and super small, and both zoom levels don't show very many notes in screen.

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 10.37.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 10.37.25 AM.png

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: The redesign introduced a new… we'll call it 'opinion'… on how much white space/padding each note gets. As you're seeing, each note now takes up more space than it used to, even in earlier builds of Evernote 10. I'm afraid that there's not much more you can do (I suppose you could try zooming out by pressing Cmd-minus to zoom out further, but that can result in some insanely small text. If you're on Twitter/𝕏 and think it might help, a lot of the folks from Bending Spoons are pretty active on it.

I hope that helps! Sorry that I don't have a better answer for you.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, macfixer said:

Longer answer: The redesign introduced a new… we'll call it 'opinion'… on how much white space/padding each note gets. As you're seeing, each note now takes up more space than it used to, even in earlier builds of Evernote 10. I'm afraid that there's not much more you can do (I suppose you could try zooming out by pressing Cmd-minus to zoom out further, but that can result in some insanely small text. If you're on Twitter/𝕏 and think it might help, a lot of the folks from Bending Spoons are pretty active on it.

Thank you for the reply. Okay, well at least I'm not "missing something" or some setting somewhere.

I suppose I am the odd-ball on this? I'm totally willing to concede that maybe that's the preferred look now, and my preferences are not the norm anymore.

Okay I'll check Bending Spoon's @𝕏 and see if any input can be had there. I'm one of those quiet EN users; I don't venture on here unless I need to ask a question. Evernote being bought by Bending Spoons was news to me. I hope they do well with the software.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Thank you for the reply. Okay, well at least I'm not "missing something" or some setting somewhere.

I suppose I am the odd-ball on this? I'm totally willing to concede that maybe that's the preferred look now, and my preferences are not the norm anymore.

Okay I'll check Bending Spoon's @𝕏 and see if any input can be had there. I'm one of those quiet EN users; I don't venture on here unless I need to ask a question. Evernote being bought by Bending Spoons was news to me. I hope they do well with the software.

You're not an oddball. It may sound trite, but one of the reasons I resisted switching for so long was the utter waste of space in v.10's UI. I don't use the same layout as you, but it's the same issue. I prefer the larger note list in the left column with more of the note showing. On my laptop running v.6 I could see 10 notes in the left column. Running v.10 I cannot see more than 5, no matter how wide I make the column or how small I make the font. It is utterly maddening. There is so much wasted white space above and below each note, serving no purpose, and meanwhile I have to scroll twice as much.

Same on iPad.

I just do not get it. At least give me the option to have a more efficient compressed layout,especially on my devices with smaller screens - like iPad mini! I've accepted that it's v.10 or nothing if I want to keep using Evernote, and I'm mostly okay with it, but every time I see that wasted space and remember how much better v.6 was in this regard, and how *stupid* this layout is for no reason, my blood boils.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
22 minutes ago, justacat said:

You're not an oddball. It may sound trite, but one of the reasons I resisted switching for so long was the utter waste of space in v.10's UI. I don't use the same layout as you, but it's the same issue. I prefer the larger note list in the left column with more of the note showing. On my laptop running v.6 I could see 10 notes in the left column. Running v.10 I cannot see more than 5, no matter how wide I make the column or how small I make the font. It is utterly maddening. There is so much wasted white space above and below each note, serving no purpose, and meanwhile I have to scroll twice as much.

Same on iPad.

I just do not get it. At least give me the option to have a more efficient compressed layout,especially on my devices with smaller screens - like iPad mini! I've accepted that it's v.10 or nothing if I want to keep using Evernote, and I'm mostly okay with it, but every time I see that wasted space and remember how much better v.6 was in this regard, and how *stupid* this layout is for no reason, my blood boils.

Even though the new default font is harder to read than the old v7 one, I can not fit as much on each line of a note anymore.  A lot of lines that I carefully made 'just' fit, now loop to the next line, so maddening!

11 小時前, ferol說:

Legacy support ends today. So 99.99 percent of the answer is clear. It's over. Install v.10

My Evernote Legacy cannot sync today.  Is it related to this ?

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, winson22 said:

My Evernote Legacy cannot sync today.  Is it related to this ?

Yup, forced to v10... In for some nasty surprises me thinks

• Sad 3
3 小時前, FredJ說:

Yup, forced to v10... In for some nasty surprises me thinks

I cannot install V10 in window 7 , it stated some error during installation. Any clue ?

1 hour ago, winson22 said:

I cannot install V10 in window 7 , it stated some error during installation. Any clue ?

For security reasons you shouldn't use Windows 7 anymore. It's like leaving your door open when you leave home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good luck to everyone on their journeys !       I have been burnt before, so a philosophy I follow is to keep my notes as simple as possible. The more complex you make them, the harder to migrate.  The more tagging you do, the more nesting you do, the more attachments you add, the more complex formatting you do, the harder it will be to migrate. temporary notes (eg going into a meeting) are fine to make complex - they are situational and not needed after a few months, and don't need to migrate.  but for more permanent notes, it would be ideal to keep them simple.  instead of attaching documents, your note could point to where they reside on your computer for e.g.    We all hope that in our lifetime, we don't need to migrate to a new notes app!  But it may not always be the case - price increase becomes ridiculous, company decides to retire the product, company goes bust ... etc.     And when the need to migrate happens, the simpler the notes, the easier to migrate.

And when you DO need to migrate and IF there are no other options,  do not discount, what I call, the "incremental migration" strategy.  This works as follows:

- leave all existing notes in your old note app

- new notes, you create in new note app

- old notes, whenever you need to amend them, copy over to new note app manually and edit over there

The plus of this is you are also in a way doing housekeeping, eg after 1 year, you will have active notes in your new note app, while outdated notes only in your old note app.   This helps in keeping database small, thus faster speed. Also, when you do search, you don't get so many outdated notes also appearing in search.     

In my case, I had 5000+ notes in my  old notes app, but after 1 year, I had transferred only 1500 active notes into my new notes app, and left the 3500 outdated notes in old app.   YMMV of course. 1500 notes coped over 1 year works out to be about manually copying 4 notes a day, which is not too painful (though of course in reality, in initial days, may need to copy up to 10 notes notes a day, and then it starts tapering off).    There are some drawbacks like having to search 2 notes app for some time.

Many may not have considered this as an option.  I certainly didn't. but it worked well for me, so am highlighting it as a POSSIBLE option to think about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Obsidian seems to be closer to the legacy version and works very smoothly. It's definitely worth checking out. I'm slowly moving my notes there and will keep them both for a while...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, ferol said:

Just be careful where you put the emoji. If it's at the beginning, you'll have a hard time filling in the TAG in the note, because you'd have to start with the Emoji for it to even offer it to you to click on...
That's why I only have it on Tags that are nested Tags as the main structure, and I never use those directly in notes...
Consider using at the end of a word...

Thks @ferol I was trying it and, as a matter of fact, even before reading this post I used them at the end. In my case because having a symbol at the beginning it altered the position in the tags view.

11 hours ago, macfixer said:

In complete agreement. Seems that space is not so well used. I have also got to the zoom use and not completely satisfied...

• Like 1

Strange issue already with v10. I go to open a very important document and it says something along the lines of enable to upload have to use a local copy instead or words to that affect and guess what, it deleted the attached PDF. I had to go into note history and restore. What kind of sh** is this ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Strange issue already with v10. I go to open a very important document and it says something along the lines of enable to upload have to use a local copy instead or words to that affect and guess what, it deleted the attached PDF. I had to go into note history and restore. What kind of sh** is this ?

I should have taken a screenshot of the message.. Just a heads up maybe a good idea moving forward to never attempt to open an attached document directly from EN v10.. Download to desktop first and open from there.. why it would delete the PDF which is super important is beyond me... luckily the note history managed to perform a restore and I had a backup anyway but still.. this is the first thing I've tried to do since legacy has died and an instant problem with a legal document that I tried to access which is super important... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Note History is always good.  Also backups!

It's rather strange that the attachment was just deleted; additionally, this hardly builds any confidence for the future.

Regarding backups, my method of bulk exporting into ENEX files has vanished! Thankfully, I have a backup of all notes up to yesterday's cut-off point, but I'll require a solution moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, KoZz said:

Just a heads up maybe a good idea moving forward to never attempt to open an attached document directly from EN v10.. Download to desktop first and open from there.. 

I've never experienced this. I open PDFs from within Evernote all the time without any issues. I even edit them in Acrobat and the changes save back into the Evernote note as expected.

I can't say what the issue is for you. Others may have suggestions. But I think you can have more confidence than your current experience suggests.

• Like 2

I am also a fan of the old version. I have been unable to synchronize it for the past few days and only saw that it was forced to update. I have planned to temporarily transition to Obsidian. I will consider reverse engineering and build a self-service service for the old version interface in the future.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, KoZz said:

Just a heads up maybe a good idea moving forward to never attempt to open an attached document directly from EN v10.. Download to desktop first and open from there..

I have never had an issue like this. I regularly open attached files in PDF, Word, Excel, Google Files, etc., directly within EN. I have never experienced the loss of an attachment, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Peter Ziegler said:

For security reasons you shouldn't use Windows 7 anymore. It's like leaving your door open when you leave home.

this is nobody's buisiness to force people do something.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I've never experienced this. I open PDFs from within Evernote all the time without any issues. I even edit them in Acrobat and the changes save back into the Evernote note as expected.

I can't say what the issue is for you. Others may have suggestions. But I think you can have more confidence than your current experience suggests.

I appreciate your perspective; however, I find myself somewhat challenged to fully embrace it. This reluctance stems from the fact that the difficulty presented itself on my initial attempt to open a PDF, selected without any particular criterion, during a phone conversation with a friend when I was seeking certain information. You've indicated that such an issue has never arisen for you, but intriguingly, it occurred with the very first PDF I attempted to access, which, to the best of my understanding, might not have been previously opened in the v10 system. As I previously mentioned, the error indicated a failure to upload and suggested a local note was being used in lieu, which seems perplexing given that the document resides in the cloud. It implies an attempt to upload a note that is already hosted online and should only be available for download.

• Like 1

Long time Evernote user. 10 years? Feels like forever.

Used Legacy up to the last day. Now on the “new version.”

Like my previous experiences, the “new” Evernote is absolute *****.

It takes 30-40 seconds just to create a note.

Search is painfully slow.

The Lag is sooooooooooo bad.

I know it’s been said a million times, but it is sad and criminal what Evernote has done to this product. It was a great working product that they ruined. 

Why did they have to kill the last lifeboat for legacy users?

As it functions now, Evernote is an unusable product. 

Sad day. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

I have never had an issue like this. I regularly open attached files in PDF, Word, Excel, Google Files, etc., directly within EN. I have never experienced the loss of an attachment, either.

I have, a number of times. Mine were Excel files.

It was attributed to the sync issues that legacy and V10 might have caused.

If that was true, we shouldn't see it now, that legacy was switched off. If we do, there seems to be a problem in V10 and should be reported, please.

• Like 1

Not had this issue myself and many times a day I open word docs, excels, PDFs, edit them and just save. They get saved right back to EN fine.

Not noticed anything not working.

May very well be an issue with having both apps running.... thankfully and finally they put the knackered old software to sleep 😁

• Like 2

I had a strange issue the other day where a pdf attachment to one note appeared in another note - one that also had a pdf attachment, so the second note then had two pdf documents. I was working in Legacy, a few days before cutoff. The pdf attachment remained in the original note, but it was also inserted into a note in which it did not belong. I hope it was just a sync-between-versions glitch, since I was working with both notes at the time.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5
32 minutes ago, 405Traffic said:

Long time Evernote user. 10 years? Feels like forever.

Used Legacy up to the last day. Now on the “new version.”

Like my previous experiences, the “new” Evernote is absolute *****.

It takes 30-40 seconds just to create a note.

Search is painfully slow.

The Lag is sooooooooooo bad.

I know it’s been said a million times, but it is sad and criminal what Evernote has done to this product. It was a great working product that they ruined. 

Why did they have to kill the last lifeboat for legacy users?

As it functions now, Evernote is an unusable product. 

Sad day. 

Another thing that's been said a million times: Evernote 10 creates a new notes database, and downloading everything can take awhile if you've got a lot of large notes. Once it's downloaded, things speed up. Evernote 10 uses a different data structure from v. 6, and every time an old note is opened it takes a few seconds to convert to the new structure. After that, it will open faster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

I have, a number of times. Mine were Excel files.

It was attributed to the sync issues that legacy and V10 might have caused.

If that was true, we shouldn't see it now, that legacy was switched off. If we do, there seems to be a problem in V10 and should be reported, please.

That was probably the issue; I was not a fan of V10 when it launched, but I made the change around eight months after the launch. After having V10 for around four weeks, I binned Legacy as I had no further use for it, so I only had both on my system for a short period.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, justacat said:

Same on iPad.

1,000% @justacat. Okay yeah, we both were in the exact same boat then. So much wasted space. Strange strange. Will see if the new company sees it the same way or not.

Maintaining two database structures would indeed be a pain. But adding "view options" in Settings would solve "most" of the issues (still not a fan of Electron based apps, but that's the norm now so I probably just gotta swallow that one).

15 hours ago, FredJ said:

Even though the new default font is harder to read than the old v7 one, I can not fit as much on each line of a note anymore.  A lot of lines that I carefully made 'just' fit, now loop to the next line, so maddening!

Yep @FredJ  1,000%.

11 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

That was probably the issue; I was not a fan of V10 when it launched, but I made the change around eight months after the launch. After having V10 for around four weeks, I binned Legacy as I had no further use for it, so I only had both on my system for a short period.

My story is just the opposite. I had to use legacy till the very  last day, as V10 has grave bugs and lacks functionality that's important to me.

I used the the two versions parallel but on two different machines. So D-Day did not cause any major trouble, thank God. It just meant a big loss of productivity for me. Oh, well.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, Robbbert said:

Obsidian seems to be closer to the legacy version and works very smoothly. It's definitely worth checking out. I'm slowly moving my notes there and will keep them both for a while...

Might check Joplin too. I've been playing with that a little as well. Creating new content in there.

6 hours ago, Tan55446 said:

Have been using legacy for years as a paid user.. I did try the new version initially but it was unusable then and it still is now. 

Why? If you're in software development like me, you know the new backend technology is based off of react/electron which is primarily used so that you only need to code one version across all platforms. It's a cost saving. Usability wise it's far, far slower and clunkier on mobile to use electron than it is to build apps natively, which is what legacy was. Any ideas about improvements on usability are ultimately a lie.. there's only so much you can do with a limiting tech stack. It's like having a bad engine in a car.. you can apply fancy paint to the body.. but it won't do you much good. 

If anyone working at Evernote does read this, my advice as someone who has worked in product development (tech) successfully would be: 

- Focus on actually finding out what users want, stop shipping random features. The basics of product development 101 - make sure what you're building is actually needed and useful. Avoid feature creep. Improve the core product first and foremost. Figure out what your moat is. Protect and improve it. Amazon, Google and Apple are all successful because they focused primarily on their core competency first - logistics, search engine, beautiful smartphones and laptops. Not because they added widgets or calenders or other side features to bloat their product. 

- Compare legacy to the new version. I've timed how long it takes to open a note on the new version - between first opening Evernote and then loading a note - it takes close to ten seconds. Versus around 2 seconds previously. I use Evernote for life tracking and business - doing that 30+ times a day = a significant waste of time. Easily 5+ minutes a day waiting on notes to load. 

- Compare legacy to the new version. The desktop app is fine, but on android the UI is clunky. Why does the home page need 50 widgets that no one wants? Just a list of the recently opened apps should be an option like before. Instead we get a widget that sort of does that, but badly. Whereas on one screen without scrolling I would previously see 7-8 recent notes listed vertically, I now see 2 and a half listed horizontally. 

- Compare legacy to the new version. The readability on android for the legacy version was far better. Text wasn't weirdly spaced line to line, it was more compact, allowing you to focus more on the text. I mean look at it - the space between each line is almost as high as the text itself! That's an incredible waste of screen space, but again one I think that's imposed by electron and not the developers themselves. If it's not, it should be an easy fix. Both the line spacing (vertically), and the text as a result being smaller (needs to be made bigger) should be fixed. 

To give credit, one positive of the new app is that it does allow you to change text colour in the app. Is that worth all the changes? No. Does the new version save the company a lot of money? Of course, multiple developers for each platform is expensive. But a faulty product is always more expensive in the long run. I have been a paid customer for years.. a long time.. but I will most likely look at cancelling. Luckily I like to declutter regularly and my note count is around 150, most of them information notes easily pasted over. I have been slowly making Notion my home over the last few years, with great success. True, it is equally slow due to running on the same tech stack (react/electron - which Evernote moved to to try and compete witn notion), but Notion's UI, hierarchal organisation and in-note features are from another planet compared to Evernote. The only thing keeping me on Evernote was the faster speed and the better readability on legacy, which I used for my day to day note editing.. but that's no longer there. A car with a good engine and fancy body paint is now just the fancy body point.. a shame. 10+ years but everything comes to a end at some point. 

Actually side edit for anyone in a similar predicament - I will also use and have moved over notes to Google keep for my day to day notes that I access, since it's both fast and readable (no massive line spacing like current android Evernote). Only negative is it doesn't have colour formatting for text, but not a big deal. 

I'm sorry @Tan55446, I'm afraid there are not any actual Evernote staff in here but I feel your frustration. @ferol is compiling feature requests into a document and will send to Evernote. I'm not holding my breath though. But maybe down the road. But probably nothing for the meantime.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Might check Joplin too. I've been playing with that a little as well. Creating new content in there.

I'm sorry @Tan55446, I'm afraid there are not any actual Evernote staff in here but I feel your frustration. @ferol is compiling feature requests into a document and will send to Evernote. I'm not holding my breath though. But maybe down the road. But probably nothing for the meantime.

I sent my list to them and now I'll leave it there, and we'll see if it made sense after a while. In about 2 weeks there is one thing with the list solved... so I'm not expecting miracles.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ferol said:

I sent my list to them and now I'll leave it there, and we'll see if it made sense after a while. In about 2 weeks there is one thing with the list solved... so I'm not expecting miracles.

In all fairness, I doubt anything will be able to be done for awhile. Assuming they use the Agile / Scrum type systems, it'll take awhile for those lists to be sorted into priorities at the top, and trickle down to the various teams down below.

Now 6 months from now it would be nice to see a few of the requests tackled. It will be interesting if they give any more weight to your compiled list, compared to the barrage of email they must receive on a daily basis from individual users. With what... 200,000 users? That email (not to mention spam) has got to be bewilderingly overwhelming.

They probably dodged alot of this fuss the past 3 years because the Legacy people were happy where they were, and the V.10 users were happy where they were, and few people gave it any further thought.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ThomasCee said:

In all fairness, I doubt anything will be able to be done for awhile. Assuming they use the Agile / Scrum type systems, it'll take awhile for those lists to be sorted into priorities at the top, and trickle down to the various teams down below.

Now 6 months from now it would be nice to see a few of the requests tackled. It will be interesting if they give any more weight to your compiled list, compared to the barrage of email they must receive on a daily basis from individual users. With what... 200,000 users? That email (not to mention spam) has got to be bewilderingly overwhelming.

They probably dodged alot of this fuss the past 3 years because the Legacy people were happy where they were, and the V.10 users were happy where they were, and few people gave it any further thought.

There are SERIOUSLY so many bugs i can't even log them!  I'd be spending all day doing error testing that EN should be doing.  Honestly, I've encountered at least 10 just today!  I've never experienced such SH**... and it's soooo sad!  And it's such a shame that EN doesn't even look here (so what's the use?).  I feel so let down!  So many years of trusting EN to be the keeper of my valuable notes! 

SH** SH** SH** !!!

(AND IT'S NOT ME, BELIEVE ME!!!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, FredJ said:

There are SERIOUSLY so many bugs i can't even log them!  I'd be spending all day doing error testing that EN should be doing.  Honestly, I've encountered at least 10 just today!  I've never experienced such SH**... and it's soooo sad!  And it's such a shame that EN doesn't even look here (so what's the use?).  I feel so let down!  So many years of trusting EN to be the keeper of my valuable notes! 

SH** SH** SH** !!!

And now let's watch them do a big layoff with all the money they're 'saving'

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Level 5
18 minutes ago, FredJ said:

You are all behind, it seems.

They send the whole team home last year, a few month after acquiring the company. That’s at least what we have seen from LinkedIn postings at that time.

After that operations were moved to Italy. It‘s all new, since …

15 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Strange how they grew so rapidly, then lost their market share over time. Proof is in the pudding for sure.

21 minutes ago, FredJ said:

And it's such a shame that EN doesn't even look here (so what's the use?).  I feel so let down!  So many years of trusting EN to be the keeper of my valuable notes! 

SH** SH** SH** !!!

Truth right lol?

Well nothing is "gone", just in a different display format with added bugs. We have the luxury of "doing nothing" with past notes as they won't go anywhere.

I'm currently playing with Joplin, and will explore Obsidian too. Obsidian's pricing structure scares me a little bit.

I would not be surprised if improvements in buggyness and display options come over time with new ownership. But time will tell. In the meantime, we can explore options and see if any others stand out.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

They send the whole team home last year, a few month after acquiring the company. That’s at least what we have seen from LinkedIn postings at that time.

Have some empathy brother. You should go help some other threads and let this one lie. There are longtime users in here who are just disappointed. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, pkmailbox1 said:

Good luck to everyone on their journeys !       I have been burnt before, so a philosophy I follow is to keep my notes as simple as possible. The more complex you make them, the harder to migrate.  The more tagging you do, the more nesting you do, the more attachments you add, the more complex formatting you do, the harder it will be to migrate. temporary notes (eg going into a meeting) are fine to make complex - they are situational and not needed after a few months, and don't need to migrate.  but for more permanent notes, it would be ideal to keep them simple.  instead of attaching documents, your note could point to where they reside on your computer for e.g.    We all hope that in our lifetime, we don't need to migrate to a new notes app!  But it may not always be the case - price increase becomes ridiculous, company decides to retire the product, company goes bust ... etc.     And when the need to migrate happens, the simpler the notes, the easier to migrate.

And when you DO need to migrate and IF there are no other options,  do not discount, what I call, the "incremental migration" strategy.  This works as follows:

- leave all existing notes in your old note app

- new notes, you create in new note app

- old notes, whenever you need to amend them, copy over to new note app manually and edit over there

The plus of this is you are also in a way doing housekeeping, eg after 1 year, you will have active notes in your new note app, while outdated notes only in your old note app.   This helps in keeping database small, thus faster speed. Also, when you do search, you don't get so many outdated notes also appearing in search.     

In my case, I had 5000+ notes in my  old notes app, but after 1 year, I had transferred only 1500 active notes into my new notes app, and left the 3500 outdated notes in old app.   YMMV of course. 1500 notes coped over 1 year works out to be about manually copying 4 notes a day, which is not too painful (though of course in reality, in initial days, may need to copy up to 10 notes notes a day, and then it starts tapering off).    There are some drawbacks like having to search 2 notes app for some time.

Many may not have considered this as an option.  I certainly didn't. but it worked well for me, so am highlighting it as a POSSIBLE option to think about.

That's what I've been doing, slowly migrating to Obsidian.  I started in January 2022, when it became clear that Version 10 on Android was very low priority, even before BS came along.  I could not sync from Android to the desktop and Evernote stopped working on my Android phone for 2 weeks.  Version 10 was just too unreliable.  I continue to read reports about Android users losing notes and notes not syncing in the reviews, even today!!

So I still have Legacy working on Android and my Windows PC, right now.  I'm not logging out on either platform.  I have Evernote Firewalled, on both platforms, so it can never attempt to connect to the cloud.  It's working just fine!!  I'm not planning to migrate to Version 10 on my "production" devices and will slowly migrate everything to Obsidian.  I HAVE exported everything to .enex files and HTML files - just in case my Legacy apps stop working. 

My biggest issue is getting tags converted to be compatible with Obsidian tags AND the issue where the EN Parent Tag, NEVER GETS exported to the .enex file!!&^%$#@!!  So I've been learning about SQLite Database tools, so I can directly update my tags in my .exb database, BEFORE exporting all my notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I wonder if programming is actually done by a team in Italy. All these new buggy features, and missing ability to test and fix these problems before an update comes out, could indicate that programming is done by several subcontractors far away. So the Italy-team just puts the parts together without having any control og knowledge of the details. 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
37 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

That's so sad too.. . $$$

• Sad 1
39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It‘s all about platform economy, don’t you think ?

Yes, smart. Programming done by subcontractors in low cost countries, or maybe by kids as a school project (for free)? All customer support done by robots and volunteer Evernote devotees?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Low cost countries, bah, what an antique approach.

Hey, Chat GPT, generate me the code for a slash command to start fancy stuff in my app - oh, yes, make sure anybody will notice it’s there …  🤣

• Haha 1
On 3/26/2024 at 12:02 PM, Razmataz said:

BTW: In legacy one could easily select all notes. That's not such a great thing either.

But perhaps a more meaningful limit, say 1000 notes, would be a good compromise.

Why can't I decide how many notes to select? Whether this makes sense or not is not BS to decide.
NO other software I am using or aware of limits me with regard to how many records I choose to select...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2