Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

People have been complaining about this "new" version for years, it's simply horrible, but Evernote management seem deaf to the concerns. There's just no excuse for how godawful it is, add in the hobbling of the free tier and fresh price rises and it just feels.. icky to me.

I ALMOST gave in and paid for a subscription, but within 5 mins of trying V10 again, it's a hard no. Have to seek alternatives

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

100% opinion, zero facts. You think this will help other forum users ?

Good luck with searching ...

No one gives a ***** fella.  I was waiting for how long it would take for you to chime in, less than a few minutes, you never disappoint. One benefit about ditching this garbage software will be not having to deal with clowns like you trolling the forums 24x7 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

See, that's the problem with you: Helping nobody, contributing nothing, but believing anybody cares about your current mood (which is in a state of deep confusion, sorry for you).

Just go watching, you are the sort of user anybody wishes his competition will gain. Wish you rapid success ... can't wait for it.

• Sad 1

See ya guys. I'll hang on my other thread maybe, but PE makes this exasperating. No wonder he has 25k posts. Flaming other frustrated members perpetually. Mods, my previous comment still gently but firmly stands. Count me as another out on account of him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
10 小時前, KoZz說:

It's rather strange that the attachment was just deleted; additionally, this hardly builds any confidence for the future.

Regarding backups, my method of bulk exporting into ENEX files has vanished! Thankfully, I have a backup of all notes up to yesterday's cut-off point, but I'll require a solution moving forward.

which file should i backup ? The large size exb file (25GB) or all of them ?

Evernote_database.png

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, winson22 said:

which file should i backup ? The large size exb file (25GB) or all of them ?

Actually,  none of them.  That's your old installation which is no longer used and will not be kept up to date.  Check Tools and Settings for the location of your current files and Export notes and notebooks as ENEX or HTML for manual backups.  There's a separate topic in the Forums on this...   

16 分鐘前, gazumped說:

Actually,  none of them.  That's your old installation which is no longer used and will not be kept up to date.  Check Tools and Settings for the location of your current files and Export notes and notebooks as ENEX or HTML for manual backups.  There's a separate topic in the Forums on this...   

Thanks for the reply. I am now backup-ing and speed is slow. ENEX and HTML , which format is perfer ?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, winson22 said:

now backup-ing and speed is slow. ENEX and HTML

If you're doing both it will slow things down.  ENEX is best unless you want human-readable files.

1 小時前, gazumped說:

If you're doing both it will slow things down.  ENEX is best unless you want human-readable files.

One more question , if I switch to V10 or web version ,  would I able to backup my note to my PC locally ? V10 seems equivalent to web base one. It would be in-secure if Evernote close down.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, winson22 said:

if I switch to V10 or web version ,  would I able to backup my note to my PC locally ?

You can create backup files from the desktop app only, not mobile or web.

• Level 5*

So I deleted two comments here because I'm now fed up with schoolyard arguments. If you dislike remarks made here,  please use 'ignore' or just move on.  Sniping back just continues the aggravation.

Venting,  requests for help,  and grown-up responses welcomed.  Anything else,  please keep it to yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, s2sailor said:

You can create backup files from the desktop app only, not mobile or web.

So just out of curiosity how does one backup from v10 ? Say I want to backup an entire notebook and it's respected notes contained within the notebook - how is this supposed to be carried out now ?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, KoZz said:

So just out of curiosity how does one backup from v10 ? Say I want to backup an entire notebook and it's respected notes contained within the notebook - how is this supposed to be carried out now ?

Right mouse button on the notebook name -> export

Desktop only.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

please use 'ignore' or just move on.

Yes, I added yet another user to the ignore list a couple of minutes ago.   Makes for a much better, peaceful and efficient!, viewing experience!

• Like 3

I used to love Evernote. Now I hate it. I'm even thinking of reverting to OneNote. I received no warning email about this disastrous change, and just suddenly found I could not get into Evernote, and I also think I've now been duped into coughing up a monthly subscription, after the system kept saying I needed to 'upgrade'.

The whole thing is an arrogant disaster. What are they thinking? The new interface is ugly, complex and confusing. I'm tired of my time being wasted.

SO SOMETHING USEFUL, EVERNOTE!!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, lionelbeck said:

I've now been duped into coughing up a monthly subscription, after the system kept saying I needed to 'upgrade'.

Hi.  I'm confused - were you a free user who now subscribes,  or a 'grandfathered' Plus or Premium user on a discounted subscription?  We're not Evernote by the way - mainly users here.

These changes were announced a year ago and you would have received an email a month before your renewal date about your personal subscription.  If your account email address was out of date,  or the email went to your spam folder that may explain some of the surprise.  You also seem to have been a Legacy user now on v10,  and the end of that service was announced three years ago,  and supported recently by red banners on old applications.

If you wish to complain to the company try feedback@Evernote.com or https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

It's obviously our choice whether you decide to continue with the service,  but if you do,  and you're finding the new layout confusing,  posting specific questions here will usually get some help. 

• Like 1
On 3/27/2024 at 6:05 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Another thing that's been said a million times: Evernote 10 creates a new notes database, and downloading everything can take awhile if you've got a lot of large notes. Once it's downloaded, things speed up. Evernote 10 uses a different data structure from v. 6, and every time an old note is opened it takes a few seconds to convert to the new structure. After that, it will open faster.

this is deceiving and recurring matra.

v10 is ALWAYS slow.
Does not matter how slow 5 second or 15 seconds.
Legacy was MUCH faster!

Period.

• Like 3

Recently I visited Google Play feedbacks.

Devastating!

People are continue complaining.

BS does nothing to fix bugs and increase the speed.

I left my 1-start feedback too.

Good bye my precious legacy version!
I miss you so much!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh yes, a MUCH better place that this forum ...

you think that we allow you to forget how BS made v10 B*S*
and killed a great legacy product?

legacy was industry number one
v10 - is number 999999

:-)

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
32 minutes ago, MDA13 said:

legacy was industry number one
v10 - is number 999999

:-)

LOL - hyping the very product that broke the company, and forced a sellout.

Doesn‘t get more shortsighted …

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

LOL - hyping the very product that broke the company, and forced a sellout.

Doesn‘t get more shortsighted …

the product was awesome, management failed to manage it
for example idiots in Apple almost bankrupted the company once.
and they can spoil it again.

and v10 architects failed to build a normally working product

legacy opens my 300 kb note in 1,5 seconds
v10 opens the same note in 8 seconds
what a degradation!

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, MDA13 said:

Some history that you may not be aware of, v10 was created by the old Evernote team, and the decision to end Legacy was done by them.  It was officially ended by BS after they purchased it, but the decision to rewrite it for the new framework was made years ago by the Evernote team.

Legacy had a lot going for it, no question, but they weren’t able to innovate fast enough under the old architecture to keep up with the newcomers and they didn’t have enough paying customers to keep them afloat once the venture capital funds dried up, so it was either go out of business (likely) or pivot.  They chose to pivot to the new architecture.  So far it has been successful enough that they were able to attract a buyer.  Time will tell if the current path is successful for the new owners.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Some history that you may not be aware of, v10 was created by the old Evernote team, and the decision to end Legacy was done by them.  It was officially ended by BS after they purchased it, but the decision to rewrite it for the new framework was made years ago by the Evernote team.

even worse
that those guys decided to replace a nice ferrari with idiotic frankenstein v10
pity story how to commit suicide

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, MDA13 said:

that those guys decided to replace a nice ferrari

They couldn’t afford the Ferrari and the loan was becoming due.

Having separate dev teams for each platform is very expensive. They weren't able to sustain that.

On the other hand having two teams (instead of 4, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android), one writing a desktop (Electron) and web client and the other a React Native mobile app allowed the company to survive. I believe this is what @s2sailor is trying to say.

Without v10 Evernote would likely not exist as a platform today as legacy was severely fragmented. The performance difference is due to the use of native platform APIs for each client vs unified platform agnostic frameworks. The cost savings from using platform agnostic frameworks allowed Evernote to continue development after VC funds dried up and allowed them to be acquired by a company with the resources to iterate on that client.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

They couldn’t afford the Ferrari and the loan was becoming due.

even based on electron
Obsidian team made ferrari
EN v10 developers made fat ugly bicycle
the mistake is in DNA

i see many customer complains, i saw many v10 bugs by myself
so i do not care if v10 is commercially successful
it is strictly no-no to promote rotten product and make customers loose their precious and sometimes vital data
my experience tells me not trust v10 at all

notion and nimbus are also very slow

2 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Having separate dev teams for each platform is very expensive. They weren't able to sustain that.

On the other hand having two teams (instead of 4, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android), one writing a desktop (Electron) and web client and the other a React Native mobile app allowed the company to survive. I believe this is what @s2sailor is trying to say.

Without v10 Evernote would likely not exist as a platform today as legacy was severely fragmented. The performance difference is due to the use of native platform APIs for each client vs unified platform agnostic frameworks. The cost savings from using platform agnostic frameworks allowed Evernote to continue development after VC funds dried up and allowed them to be acquired by a company with the resources to iterate on that client.

there are lots of ways how to develop cheaper.
v10 is just a postponed death, cause it is NOT a quality product.
lots of bugs are still NOT fixed and will never be fixed.
and speed will never be faster.

so EN ads now is a kind of fraud, trying to force innocent victims to pay money 

14 minutes ago, MDA13 said:

there are lots of ways how to develop cheaper.
v10 is just a postponed death, cause it is NOT a quality product.
lots of bugs are still NOT fixed and will never be fixed.
and speed will never be faster.

so EN ads now is a kind of fraud, trying to force innocent victims to pay money 

I see you are an expert in software development... there's a reason why Electron is used for nearly every cross platform application made today. One codebase for many platforms enables significant cost savings.

You are clearly angry about the decommissioning of legacy but at this point you are stating opinions, such as whether the product is quality or not (something very subjective). Many find the v10 client sufficiently fast and stable, however it's a different application. It isn't legacy, the new Evernote is a different tool from what Legacy was.

Moreover, clearly you don't know what fraud is, look up FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried. That's fraud. Bernie Madoff is fraud. Evernote isn't some sort of Ponzi scheme. No one is forcing you to pay money for Evernote. You voluntarily paid for a product that you knew was end of life and would be discontinued at some point. This was known since 2021, so that means you had 3 years to build new workflows. That is somewhat negligent on the part of the end user to pay for something that they aren't happy with and to pay for something that is known to be going away at literally any time, to the point where download links aren't even offered for the product anymore.

No one is a victim of fraud here, that's just unhinged to say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife went back to a handwritten grocery list, if that says anything (although apparently EN isn't even looking at this, blah).... I just hope they make HUGE fixes to all the bugs and make it much faster... (and don't price themselves out of the market)...

Please... GO EVERNOTE & BS!

Just now, FredJ said:

My wife went back to a handwritten grocery list, if that says anything (although apparently EN isn't even looking at this, blah).... I just hope they make HUGE fixes to all the bugs and make it much faster... (and don't price themselves out of the market)...

Please... GO EVERNOTE & BS!

I have a feeling they aren't after the same market they were in 2008. This isn't a tool for grocery lists that they are building. This is intended for PKM, task management, document management, and productivity.

Based on the features that have been introduced so far by Bending Spoons I think it's obvious that this isn't meant to be for grocery lists and cookie recipes.

This is meant to be a tool for work and for people to use to organize their lives, hence the introduction of tasks and the focus now on improving calendar and files.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well that's what i use it for, and it's really bad at this point, ESPECIALLY for work...  I now get SO much less done in X time...

And holy s*it if you can't even do a grocery list... WTF??? LOL

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No idea if a handwritten grocery list my not be the better solution - what I am pretty sure about is that the devs don’t have this use case in mind. And I doubt it would be worth to put something into the fridge (not your‘s, the one of the devs).

If you don’t like the product, leave. There are others (like me) who a) like what the v10 client does b) like how he does it and c) are happy that the service is moving ahead. For reasons well explained (and understandable) after introducing RTE sync it became necessary to switch off the server side of legacy.

This they did - praise for being consequential instead of dodging the sort of stupid, unjustified criticism that is flooding the forum since the step was announced.

v10 never was designed nor developed to replace legacy (why would anybody try to copycat a product that failed to ever turn a profit ?). Don‘t like it, leave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No wonder staff doesn't post regularly right now. If they did they'd be getting harassed. 

Some here are coming off childish and entitled. Hopefully with time they will adapt to change (which is always inevitable with anything) or move on and stop whining about it at the very least. 

It'll be nice for things to calm down so we maybe can have a staff presence in here again like we used to only a few months ago. 

Not too long ago Federico would announce every release. Now if he did that I don't know what people would do. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mackid1993 said:

This is intended for PKM, task management, document management, and productivity.

This is exactly what I am criticizing about V10. I was definitely a lot faster, more productive and had higher confidence in Legacy than I am / have now with V10. I didn't stumble over all these little nagging issues that are hard to describe but where you know they just don't work right, like shortcuts not cutting short as they should or copying / pasting not pasting every time or selecting text not selecting as it should be on a Mac. I can't write a ticket for every little bit that is odd but it definitely slows me down a lot. 

I am acknowledging that there seem to be less fatal bugs than there were a couple of months ago but the little things matter as well and combined made me switch my relevant work to Keep It and EagleFiler.

Even V10 should be all about productivity and BS still has a long way to get there.

EDIT: e.g. tasks, when did they start to work at all? Compared to proper task management tools the implementation is very basic at best. I for my part wouldn't / couldnb't use it for anything but shopping lists or the like...

• Like 2

This is meant to be a tool for work and for people to use to organize their lives, hence the introduction of tasks and the focus now on improving calendar and files.

Legacy could do all that and did it reliably. Now I have to distinguish where to put things that are important and where to put my cooking recipes. It used to be all in one place without having me think about it at all... That was what 'remember everything' was all about. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

stupid, unjustified criticism

you forgot to mention that this is only your subjective opinion.

I get reminded everytime when I post something not to forget that this is my opinion only, so this should apply to you as well - or you refrain from these derogative posts altogether which - in my view - would be better for the forum.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Legacy could do all that and did it reliably. Now I have to distinguish where to put things that are important and where to put my cooking recipes. It used to be all in one place without having me think about it at all... That was what 'remember everything' was all about. 

Evernote v10 does it reliably as well, not sure why it doesn't for you. I have Evernote on 3 laptops, a headless VM, and a second work account on my work desktop and don't have any of the issues you've described. The problems you face are not the norm and I highly suggest you report issues to support. The only thing I can think of is conversion issues related to coming from Legacy. Moving from Legacy is known to significantly slow things down for quite a while until all notes are converted which only happens when a note is opened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Moving from Legacy is known to significantly slow things down for quite a while until all notes are converted which only happens when a note is opened.

I'm using V10 exclusively for about a month (second installation, you recommended I ditch the first one so I did). By now I assume everything should have settled (cpu utilization of Evernote helper is still higher than I would like but constant, it used to be so high that I could hardly work during the first weeks). All of the issues I posted here were confirmed by others, though there are some I haven't posted yet because they are happening randomly and are therefore hard to grab. 

• Like 1
Just now, Feitz said:

I'm using V10 exclusively for about a month (second installation, you recommended I ditch the first one so I did). By now I assume everything should have settled (cpu utilization of Evernote helper is still higher than I would like but constant, it used to be so high that I could hardly work during the first weeks). All of the issues I posted here were confirmed by others, though there are some I haven't posted yet because they are happening randomly and are therefore hard to grab. 

Like I said I would contact support, I had an issue with tasks not syncing for example. They said they reindexed my notes on the backend and that fixed it.

Perhaps there is something support can do on their end to fix the issues you are having. It's possible you have some corrupted notes in your account causing issues.

I suggest you take a couple of screen recordings to send them so they can visualize the problems you are having, I find that when dealing with support tickets sending a screen recording is an invaluable tool to get your issue across and get things fixed. 

There are bugs for sure, but it sounds like something is genuinely wrong with your account that must be fixed by Evernote. I can only speak to my experience but everything from my $3200 brand new laptop to my 3 year old cheapo beat up one is responsive with none of the issues you face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hyperbolic statements aside, there is simply no denying that certain tasks that were quick and effortless in legacy require many more clicks and annoyingly more time in v.10. Take, for example, changing a note creation date. Such an unpleasant experience now. Or simply changing a note's notebook. Not to mention the extra time required just for scrolling, because of all the extra padding. Those are just a few examples, but it's everywhere. There may be efficiencies in v.10 compared to legacy, but I haven't found them.

I don't use Evernote for work/productivity. I use it as a digital file cabinet/remember everything repository. V.10 still functions for that purpose, and better than any alternatives. It's just a lot clunkier and less pleasant to use, for me at least.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Legacy could do all that and did it reliably.

I must add that this ONLY refers to 7.14 on Mac. Previous versions had varying degrees of annoyances but 7.14 was - at least for me - rock solid and without issues. 

Since it came out in 2018 or 2019 I had at least four years of untroubled Evernote experience. Even web clipper seemed to work most of the time...

Alas, this all is irrelevant now...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The problem with 7.14: Since it came out, nothing more happened with it. It was the only legacy client using 64Bit code. Since the code sharing with other clients was zero, it was released - and forgotten.

Meanwhile the world kept spinning, competition innovating. That’s the way you ruin any service - by behaving as if you had „the perfect product“. History told otherwise …

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The problem with 7.14: Since it came out, nothing more happened with it. It was the only legacy client using 64Bit code. Since the code sharing with other clients was zero, it was released - and forgotten.

Meanwhile the world kept spinning, competition innovating. That’s the way you ruin any service - by behaving as if you had „the perfect product“. History told otherwise …

I would have never considered using Evernote if legacy was the current client without the current feature set. It wouldn't have met my particular needs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

No need for personal attacks.

Ya funny, sometimes the truth sounds like an attack, doesn't it!

When it's a personal attack it sounds like an attack.

That was not a personal attack by any measure. The bizarre and biased defense of the one user in these forums most guilty of rudeness and personal attacks is so maddening and off-putting, and it never, ever changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Feitz said:

This is exactly what I am criticizing about V10. I was definitely a lot faster, more productive and had higher confidence in Legacy than I am / have now with V10. I didn't stumble over all these little nagging issues that are hard to describe but where you know they just don't work right, like shortcuts not cutting short as they should or copying / pasting not pasting every time or selecting text not selecting as it should be on a Mac. I can't write a ticket for every little bit that is odd but it definitely slows me down a lot. 

I am acknowledging that there seem to be less fatal bugs than there were a couple of months ago but the little things matter as well and combined made me switch my relevant work to Keep It and EagleFiler.

Even V10 should be all about productivity and BS still has a long way to get there.

EDIT: e.g. tasks, when did they start to work at all? Compared to proper task management tools the implementation is very basic at best. I for my part wouldn't / couldnb't use it for anything but shopping lists or the like...

Probably yes, but I think the reality is they saw Notion eating their lunch, raising massive fundraising rounds and tried to copy them.. From the backend stack to how the app looks. 

The problem is, as a work tool, Notion is so far ahead Evernote it's not even funny. Even simple things like contents pages.. It allows toggles (revolutionary), synced blocks, nested pages, it has so many feautres. It's been my main work driver for about 3 years now. 

Evernote on desktop runs fine for me, but I use it far less frequently on desktop. It's mobile where it had it's use - the native legacy client was fast, compact, and allowed me to use it for day to day note taking (e.g. to do lists). 

Now it's bloated, laggy, and unusable. I've switched my daily notes to notion now, and I've now cancelled my Evernote subscription that I've had for 5+ years. 

At the end of the day, the summary of Evernote now is this - they changed to version 10 primarily because it's way cheaper to build and maintain apps using React and Electron (cross platform). They've raised prices. Do they care about the user experience? No. Their goal is simply to make money off the remaining users who still have lots of notes (so they can't migrate easily) and a paid subscription, hence the price rise for no increase in service. They've become like AOL - even to do this day people still pay AOL for subscriptions they took out in the 90s. The app will slowly degrade and become irrlevant (given the choice between notion and evernote, who in their right mind would chose evernote), while the new owners extract what they can from the existing subscribers whilst paying as little as they can in maintenance. In a way it's good for me though, it's forced me to migrate my remaining notes to Notion. Thanks owners. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/23/2024 at 8:31 PM, dcmalk said:

I've given v10 a chance on multiple occasions and there's just no way

This is exactly what has been my experience with the new update. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.

The 'old' Evernote had a team working on each OS - so at minimum iOS/ MacOS/ Android/ Windows/ Linux - producing code-specific versions of a central 'model' of a note-taking app.  Some OS's allowed tweaks that others did not - Macs did not (AFAIK) have Import Folders,  Windows did not have inline spreadsheet views.

Obviously that's expensive - you basically have 5x the cost of the staff,  plus random updates to deal with from each OS and browser version.

Two of the major complaints from users were:

1. Why does the UI look different on each of my my devices? and 
  2. I can't pick a consistent font for my notes.

So 'old Evernote went away and rewrote everything in Elektron to reduce internal costs and deliver for their users.

However Elektron had its own tweaks and limits,  and the 6th(?) Elektron team were taking years to deliver their code (It's a big app - and they probably had a learning curve).  So for a first iteration v10 was delivered with a limited number of the 'most used' features.  And went down like a lead balloon with everyone (including me).

Embroiled from that point in bugs, complaints and feature requests Evernote forgot all about income and costs,  and I'd imagine became a pretty toxic environment.  Investors I would imagine,  would start wanting out.

Lets not forget also that the long running 'free' service,  rather than being a constant source of source new business is (probably) a huge cost sink,  and for historical reasons dozens of users are paying different 'grandfathered' amounts because their product no longer exists.  There's presumably lots of extra code to limit their access to their own feature set.

Along comes Evernote enthusiast Bending Spoons who want to see this situation fixed,  for their own reasons.

The 'new' Evernote team work to fix backend support issues, old code and missing features,  and drag Evernote kicking and screaming into the 24½th century.

US and other employees are let go (on,  I understand,  generous terms) to bring the whole operation back to Italy (more or less) under one roof.  That's great for efficiency - it takes a couple of days to travel from Milan to the US - but maybe not the best idea to lose all that expertise.  (It's just code - how hard can it be...)

Since this is now a 2024 commercial operation and they're operating on 2018 funding levels,  costs have to go up.  Since 'grandfathered' users are an expensive anomaly (they pay less but add complication) they get added to the normal cost & feature structure.  As (presumably) light users they have to make a choice - is Evernote now worth it for them?  Similar treatment for Free users.

So here we are.  Evernote is what it is.  Either it's worth it to you to subscribe or not.  But it's not a conspiracy,  or a horrible mistake of some kind - it's just natural development of a product which is still one of he market leaders with a (mostly) quiet user group of thousands? Millions?

Since 'Spoons have their own users who are probably only now hearing about their new acquisition after some of the worst dents have been worked out,  I'd be confident that Evernote will make it to that 100-year target they always had.  It will certainly do me for the foreseeable future.

-That history is about 90% fact and 10% speculation and 100% my personal view.  You are,  of course, entitled to your own perspective;  but I'm still surprised by the time and energy being exercised here berating a company that actually seems to be doing pretty well by its users.  

Legacy is not coming back,  and everyone has the choice of stay or leave. 

Evernote clearly didn't expect the storm that brewed in recent months,  but I'm sure they'll work through it.  Meantime I'm just another user (honest) and pleased to help anyone who has a (polite) request for assistance. 

Have a nice day...  :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Tan55446 said:

At the end of the day, the summary of Evernote now is this - they changed to version 10 primarily because it's way cheaper to build and maintain apps using React and Electron (cross platform). They've raised prices. Do they care about the user experience? No. 

My sentiment, too. I accept the fact that it had to be V10 for all sort of reasons (but not the way they managed it).

But I have a very hard time to accept that V10 is so full of bugs -- some of them 3 years old, serious ones too -- and that it is so cumbersome to use with endless clicking and workarounds for many simple tasks. Productivity and efficiency are gone, the UI requires that the user remembers in what context he/she is calling the same functions, as EN behaves differently. And all that at these prices.

But the market will "regulate" EN over time. Users are well advised to think about alternatives now. Even users who, like me, find it very hard to migrate, will possibly have to do it anyway when BS has to shut down EN.

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Evernote clearly didn't expect the storm that brewed in recent months,  but I'm sure they'll work through it. 

Ditto, but with the addition of to short words: try to

I'm sure they'll try to work through it

Currently, their performance is very weak. And their communication strategy is dismal.

This may change, and will have to if they want to succeed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, justacat said:

Or simply changing a note's notebook.

There has been a recent, and IMO, nice change. At the top of the note is the note title.  Clicking on it will bring a dropdown list of notebooks that you can move to.  This was one of the friction points for me that has been removed.

8 horas atrás, gazumped disse:

So here we are.  Evernote is what it is.  Either it's worth it to you to subscribe or not.  But it's not a conspiracy,  or a horrible mistake of some kind - it's just natural development of a product which is still one of he market leaders with a (mostly) quiet user group of thousands? Millions?

Since 'Spoons have their own users who are probably only now hearing about their new acquisition after some of the worst dents have been worked out,  I'd be confident that Evernote will make it to that 100-year target they always had.  It will certainly do me for the foreseeable future.

I totally agree with this. Whether good or bad are just business decisions. It is not a deliberate decision to harm any user. I also have confidence that Evernote in the coming years will solve most of the problems in the new version.

Those who cannot or want to wait can switch to other applications. There are several good alternatives to Evernote. There is no need to despair.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 3/31/2024 at 1:36 PM, MDA13 said:
On 3/27/2024 at 1:05 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Another thing that's been said a million times: Evernote 10 creates a new notes database, and downloading everything can take awhile if you've got a lot of large notes. Once it's downloaded, things speed up. Evernote 10 uses a different data structure from v. 6, and every time an old note is opened it takes a few seconds to convert to the new structure. After that, it will open faster.

this is deceiving and recurring matra.

v10 is ALWAYS slow.
Does not matter how slow 5 second or 15 seconds.
Legacy was MUCH faster!

Period.

I will take it that you mean something like "misleading" and not intentionally "deceiving." I'll accept being called many things here, but not a liar.

Everything I said was true. I did not say Evernote would be as fast Legacy. The Electron framework it's built on is the obvious and well-known primary cause of v. 10 being slower. If all you want is speed, then yes, v. 10 is less valuable. If having notes appear identically on multiple platforms (not just Windows or Mac machines only) is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. If having the same formatting functions across platforms is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. If having highly similar interfaces across platforms is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. (No tabs on Mac, no color-coded notebooks on Windows, but a Home page dashboard everywhere.) If having updates delivered promptly is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. (I invite anyone complaining about bug fixes being slow to read the forums for the pre-10 versions in 2018 and 2019.) If having the developers be able to concentrate on solidifying existing features and improving on new ones is of value to you, then v. 10 is better--better, surely, than having multiple teams of programmers adapting new features to multiple platforms in multiple codebases, as multiple bugs accumulate on each of them.

Again: if all you want is speed, Legacy will be missed. If you only ever wanted to work on one or two Windows machines, then Legacy was better than v. 10. But AFAIK Evernote was never intended for that limitation, but to be a tool to work with on multiple platforms, and that is what Electron, despite its drawbacks, facilitates.

• Like 1

Mainly, the excuses and defending on Electron should finally stop and also the excuses on the new way of synchronization.

Because for example Obsidian is incredibly fast and sychnonisation works very similarly to Evernote's in terms of real time...

Here's a list of applications built on Electron:
https://www.electronjs.org/apps

... And people are also fleeing because of speed for example to:
Obdsidian
Joplin
Notion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have had nothing but tearing my hair with this new version, and my Mac is now hung up, fans running, and CPU Max'd out... See attached this is so 'completely' infuriating and frustrating... Literally hundred of issues, one after the other.  I can't get anything done!  Just fixing things it is fu**ing up on me.  I JUST WANT IT TO WORK, PLEASE!!!

20240402_113154.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ferol said:

Mainly, the excuses and defending on Electron should finally stop and also the excuses on the new way of synchronization.

Nothing wrong with Electron. Its how you code it.

I personally find V10 nice and snappy.

• Like 4
On 4/1/2024 at 7:52 AM, s2sailor said:

At the top of the note is the note title.  Clicking on it will bring a dropdown list of notebooks that you can move to.  This was one of the friction points for me that has been removed.

Thanks to @s2sailor for pointing this out.  I was unaware.  Also, shft-alt-m is the keyboard shortcut on the Windows client that does the same thing for folks who prefer to keep their fingers on the keyboard.

Vinnie

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, FredJ said:

See attached this is so 'completely' infuriating and frustrating... Literally hundred of issues,

Have you tried the uninstall with Appcleaner approach?  It sounds like an issue with your local installation.  Most uninstallers won't clean out everything but Appcleaner specifically for the Mac, or Revo for Windows is the recommended uninstaller.  Many find this works, so give it a go if you haven't already, and give it a few days for the local database to download and settle in.

On 26.03 had to install v.10.

And immediately noticed that the latest notes made within a period between 20..26.03 disappeared.

Seems that v.10 just ignored notes which were NOT synced with a server.

Great job, Evernote *****holes.

Been on a paid plan due to June 2022; later were not able to pay due to banned payments for Russia. So, local Russian neo-fashists & stupid Evernote team made my life better (sarcasm mode off).

Thinking about moving to other platform. Heard about Obsidian both bad & good things.

Managed to export notebooks to Obsidian only one-by-one.

Meanwhile trying not to swear while using v.10.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ildar170975 said:

Seems that v.10 took just ignored notes which were NOT synced with a server.

V10 is server based only.  It only knows about what has been synced with the server.  It does not know about any notes that you may have had unsync'd.  If you still have legacy installed then you can export the notes that weren't synced and then reimport them into v10/

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If you still have legacy installed then you can export the notes that weren't synced and then reimport them into v10/

The Legacy does not login after startup... May be I did smth wrong. Probably I should have export the unsynced notes BEFORE installing v.10. Life is a pain.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, ildar170975 said:

The Legacy does not login after startup... May be I did smth wrong. Probably I should have export the unsynced notes BEFORE installing v.10. Life is a pain.

Unfortunately, this was something that should have been done before Legacy was shutdown last week.  

Just now, s2sailor said:

this was something that should have been done before Legacy was shutdown last week.

You right! Like becoming rich & buying Evernote to make it a NORMAL application like it used to be.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, I just wish I'd gotten the email warning. 

I knew it was unlikely that v10 would ever reach feature parity, but I had no Idea they were going to just kill legacy like this. 

I assume my warning got caught in an email filter. But this has really screwed me. My Legacy install got wiped by the v10 "upgrade" (my bad for anticipating that). Now I have a huge Evernote Archive file that I can't open without letting v10 put it back into the cloud (stuff I made local after the last security breach).

Any Ideas? Or is this thread just for ranting now? 

Rant, rant rant. I'm mad too.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

There was a downside to ignoring the in app red banner warnings that Legacy had for a while.

Some are still running Legacy using a firewall rule to prevent it from trying to access the server.  Search here for more details.  For content you don't want on the server, some save as pdf and then password protect that and let it go to the cloud.  Or store locally as HTML and access it using other tools instead of Evernote.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on a good document imaging solution? I've mostly been using EN for scanning paper documents before shredding (stuff like utility bills and what not).

EN used to be good for that, but over the years it's really become less so.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, stevecu said:

EN used to be good for that, but over the years it's really become less so.

What problems have you run into?  I use Evernote all the time for that and it has been fine.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You could shed your cloud paranoia, and simply move on.

Or follow the advise I just posted in your other thread.

I'll keep my "cloud paranoia" thanks.

The only one that matters now is that I can't access my legacy financial docs without putting them back in the cloud.

But prior to that they broke my workflow for scanning a pile of mail via import folders. That was resolved by the Legacy version (which was supposed to be a temporary solution).

It all worked fine until I noticed this morning that my scans into Legacy were no longer syncing).

I'll take your word that there was a red banner, but I didn't notice it. I've been using it this way for a year. I just used Legacy for importing scanned PDFs and purging the import folders as they imported. I've been using v10 on my Mac for anything else.

• Level 5

Import folders are available, and with v10 not only for Windows, but as well for Mac users. A real improvement over legacy, that had this feature only on that client, that feature only on this. The new clients are much more on the same level.

You just need to configure the Import Folders in settings.

Last time I looked, v10 was not able to delete the file after importing. 

I'm not interested in debating whether this is a useful feature. I've already been there.

It's pointless now anyway.

1 hour ago, ildar170975 said:

On 26.03 had to install v.10.

And immediately noticed that the latest notes made within a period between 20..26.03 disappeared.

Seems that v.10 just ignored notes which were NOT synced with a server.

Great job, Evernote *****holes.

Been on a paid plan due to June 2022; later were not able to pay due to banned payments for Russia. So, local Russian neo-fashists & stupid Evernote team made my life better (sarcasm mode off).

Thinking about moving to other platform. Heard about Obsidian both bad & good things.

Managed to export notebooks to Obsidian only one-by-one.

Meanwhile trying not to swear while using v.10.

So I hope that your new neofascist will get out as soon as possible... because somehow no one can get him out of the position he's in for a long time...

From the inside, he's probably blocked you out too...

Otherwise, several of us are already working with Obsidian in parallel here, maybe we should move the discussion to the Obsidian forums for detailed experiences. And there are enough of them already. What do you think @fuchsfr ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think you wonder too much. Nobody is interested to read through that stuff to maybe find out you cut a corner on taxes, or whatever „evil“ you wanna hide.

Just import it, then you export it to HTML - single export per note (which is universally readable), keep the ENEX file as backup. 

Then you delete the imported notebook, go to the trash and delete the notes from that notebook (or empty the trash). Notes from a deleted trash are not recoverable.

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Import folders are available, and with v10 not only for Windows, but as well for Mac users. A real improvement over legacy, that had this feature only on that client, that feature only on this. The new clients are much more on the same level.

You just need to configure the Import Folders in settings.

I recognize and acknowledge your superior knowledge of Evernote. But I asked a couple of straightforward questions and you responded with unhelpful snark. Just sayin'...

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It’s a discussion. You can post questions.

You can’t control you will only get answers you like.

It's a support forum. This is literally where they point you when you ask for help I know you have the capability of being helpful. I've seen you do it before, but this is not helpful to anyone. It just pollutes the thread with a bunch of garbage so you can't find the good information.

You can do better. Be an example.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

You should look for a Local solution aka EN local Notebook.

Depending on the complexity of those financial docs there are a number of solutions to choose from.  Obsidian strips down formatting to the bare minimum.  One font, table with out the ability for merged cells, ect.  If you can live with those limitations then you can use obsidian. 

Will Obsidian open the EN file? I'll take a look. 

Thank you.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ferol said:

Otherwise, several of us are already working with Obsidian in parallel here, maybe we should move the discussion to the Obsidian forums for detailed experiences. And there are enough of them already. What do you think @fuchsfr ?

You have my vote ... and encouragement.

37 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

You should look for a Local solution aka EN local Notebook.

Depending on the complexity of those financial docs there are a number of solutions to choose from.  Obsidian strips down formatting to the bare minimum.  One font, table with out the ability for merged cells, ect.  If you can live with those limitations then you can use obsidian. 

Not as pretty or familiar as EN Legacy, but I have my files. 

Thanks again for your most helpful reply!!

7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You have my vote ... and encouragement.

I've been using Obsidian for several minutes, and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share (such as where to find the community option on the help menu).

Can you post a link? 

32 minutes ago, stevecu said:

I've been using Obsidian for several minutes, and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share (such as where to find the community option on the help menu).

Can you post a link? 

well, where will it be better? The official Obsidian forum, or Redit ? So far I haven't created anything myself....

But there is a recent subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EvernoteLegacyLovers/

6 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

No you need to import the export ENEX files

I used YARLE and made a custom template

It was super easy, barely an inconvenience. Evernote had already created the ENEX file for me when I had done the upgrade of v10.

The only real effort after installing obsidian was adding the importer plug-in, but that was pretty straightforward as well.

Like I said, it's not very attractive, but I have all the documents available if I need them. I'll have to learn what I can do as far as indexing and searching inside of obsidian.

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Have you tried the uninstall with Appcleaner approach?  It sounds like an issue with your local installation.  Most uninstallers won't clean out everything but Appcleaner specifically for the Mac, or Revo for Windows is the recommended uninstaller.  Many find this works, so give it a go if you haven't already, and give it a few days for the local database to download and settle in.

Will try Appcleaner, thanks...

(Is this the Avast one that I have to pay for?)

Is there a link?  I found this one..

or... is this it?

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

13 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

I'll say this about creating an Obsidian Forum or a redit page....

Once you use the help or the forums, you can find anything you need on your own.

This is a good place to vent, but there are not a lot of solutions here.

I created the migrating to Obsidian page for those, like me, that really needed to move.  Be it lack of function or price. It was just intended as a journal to get started and find parity for my own use cases. @ferol has done a much nicer deeper dive into making everything looking better and closer to EN.

But as far as basics go, you get a lot out of the box. And a quick search in the plugin community shows you 5 different ways to solve any problem with download counts for all solutions.

There is no "well now that they stopped legacy they will make the product better" wait and see attitude. 

A lot of the things you want is already there.

Example KANBAN Boards (not doable in evernote)

image.thumb.png.7006c8576215fa4ad9ea95640323ca9f.png

The top plugin has over a million downloads.  That looks like a good bet.  An Army of developers have already solving most things already.

And as far as the Obsidian App it is free. They make money on SYNC (starting at $4 a month) and Publish.

If you need high end formatting for end customer delivery, then please stay.  If you are an EXPERT and offer courses and consulting services, please stay (this is your bread and butter).

But if you don't need fancy documents, or sending pretty pages to customers, or collaborating with a team that is already proficient in EN, then you should move and SAVE A TON of money.  

Obsidian can do everything I used to do in Evernote Legacy and much much more. 

I'm currently debugging visual filtering for different types of content...

image.png.585099dc5db5ae48afe8df35b331fe79.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, FredJ said:

It's free.  That's the one.  After you uninstall, reinstall using the download from the Evernote site, and not from the Apple Store.  Also give it a few days to get your database downloaded, and hopefully this will take care of most of the problems you were seeing.

1 hour ago, fuchsfr said:

if your fine with the format of the import then you are done.

I wanted the original date on the bottom of the doc and tags on the second line, not in properties, so YARLE allowed me to do that.  

If you are interested I'll DM you my config file

at first glance YARLE looks like more than I need... maybe. I'll have to dig a little and see if it's within my ken. 

53 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Dude it fast an thorough. No indexing required.

A- click on search
B-  type search term
C- see how many times it occurs in each note
D- if it appears in the title it's highlighted
E- hit the twisty (or folder or collapsed) on the note and see all the matches in the doc
F- shows each reference be it a tag or a simple word in the doc

image.thumb.png.9aa60295705b7b7e56bf676b9fdde3f8.png

Yeah, 5 minutes after I posted I clicked a few more buttons and realised it was already indexed and searchable. I think it's the stacks I was using that make my tree look ugly. 

4 hours ago, stevecu said:

The only one that matters now is that I can't access my legacy financial docs without putting them back in the cloud.

Mac only: You can easily import your ENEX to Eaglefiler which is completely local if you wish and still syncs e.g. via Synology drive (tags and xattrs preserved) or other personal cloud services (owncloud, nextcloud). 

I did that with some 22000 notes, most of them with large attachments (ca. 80 GB in total) without any issues (ok, had an issue with German umlauts but got a patched version if Eaglefiler within 2 hrs (!!!)).