Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

If there are big bugs then a slower rollout would also stop support being inundated within hours.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, in particular in the current state of affairs.

25 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, in particular in the current state of affairs.

Yeah, there's a trade off on quicker development with more bugs in the wild and I don't think there's a perfect solution unless you're like Microsoft or Google and even they push bugs.

I think(?) old Evernote had a decent sized QA team in Chile and they did more old school QA which is why development was very slow and updates were just a few a year. Its also one reason Evernote got left behind by the competition. Legacy app wasn't much different than what they pushed back in 2013! In the meantime the competition were advancing.

Spoons have a QA process but Its not as robust as the old team, to be fair a new update would be ready now before the old QA team had finished! 

The trade off is faster development but more bugs in the wild and staying ahead or up with the competition or going old school QA and releasing every quarter or something.

That said with faster development and quicker releases bugs do tend to get fixed quicker but again there is a priority. The bugs that effect the most users will get fixed first.

I don't think there's a perfect solution unless we go back to Word 97, 2003, 2007, 2010 etc lol.

• Like 4

Thank you @Jon/t for your explanations of a process that I wasn't aware of, it makes a lot more sense to me now.

Unfortunately, I still don't understand why I'm no longer able to choose which versions I want to install/not install like was possible in Legacy (and for pretty much every other app on PCs today).

16 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Thank you @Jon/t for your explanations of a process that I wasn't aware of, it makes a lot more sense to me now.

Unfortunately, I still don't understand why I'm no longer able to choose which versions I want to install/not install like was possible in Legacy (and for pretty much every other app on PCs today).

It's a modern style of software development. Most new software follows this style. A few examples that I use or have used: Chrome/Firefox, 1Password, Microsoft To Do, Visual Studio Code, and more. They tend to be smaller and more focused software programs. Huge legacy programs like Microsoft Office and the Adobe suite are more conservative and slower with their updates.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The current release cycle is burning the bridges behind itself.

Backward compatibility is not kept over many cycles - among the v10 versions, those before 10.54 (plus/minus a few) are not able to sync any more already.

Legacy was allowed to use the old, outdated API. EN converted the data formats on the server, with a drag to do. This is the main reason why syncing will be stopped in 3 weeks. The old API is not up to date any more, and it requires old code to run on the server.

We have posts here to keep a legacy client running locally, strictly offline. I think this is technically possible, but entirely pointless. It can’t create new notes that can be used anywhere else, it can’t pick up content from other devices. And if the host computer fails, the legacy install is dead.

23 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Unfortunately, I still don't understand why I'm no longer able to choose which versions I want to install

I think there's a number of reasons... I'm only reading bewteen the lines here so don't quote me!

One would be support only have to worry about a small number of versions out there. I remember hearing a very scary number of around 100 legacy app versions in the wild including OEM versions! Terrifying lol.

I think right now support is offered to 10.6x and above or something like that and the main reason for this is that the clients and backend are changing quickly. Most of Evernote was run via a giant Java monoitlithic programme and this is what's being rewritten and switched off, I would imagine the end of legacy is a big part of this. The change is to microservices and more modern ways of doing things so only recent clients can be supported.

The RENT & Conduit projects they are working on will need parts of the client rewriting so really old stuff can be switched off. This will need everyone on the new version.

It also tends to be a more modern approach to development for non-enterprise software so devs and support only have to worry about a few versions.

Evernote is not really enterprise software, business yes but Enterprise need the versions to be just perfect. There's also lot going on lol. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Evernote is not really enterprise software, business yes but Enterprise need the versions to be just perfect. There's also lot going on lol. 

"Evernote started out absolutely fantastic. But then they kept adding features and functionality that the majority doesn't need, and the interface was so busy that you couldn't create just a basic note anymore without taking extra steps."
I found this very realistic statement on the Internet. What people think about the current Evernote.  Agree 100%.

• Level 5

Who is „the majority“ ?

How was established what „the majority“ wants ?

And how does „the majority“ know when they don’t have a clue they may want a feature prior to it’s release ?

You do a citation, as if this would make the source any more credible. I think the source is just voicing a personal opinion, and to make it look more credible states that „the majority“ would be the true source of the personal preferences. 

Or in short: What is posted is not credible. Agreeing to it doesn’t make it better: You are still only two users, a far cry from „the majority“.

The only ones who can know what „the majority“ does is EN themselves, through observing user behavior. And even they can’t know how „the majority“ will accept a new feature prior to launching it. And anybody else knows even less.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 3/2/2024 at 11:40 AM, enfan-01 said:

Because I've got so much time invested into my curated notes in EN I'm trying to give V10 another chance, but I continue to be appalled by the way BS is handling it.

1) Automatic V10 updates without ability to disable (as posted earlier).  Doesn't anyone remember how much time & pain they caused us with that mentality a few years ago when they started using paying customers as beta-testers for a completely unusable V10?  That's when they lost my trust.  Again, most of us use the app as a tool that works to help make our lives better, not as free software testers to provide feedback on features that don't.  I need the ability to turn off updates until I am ready to install them.

2) Their statement about 1% of users still using Legacy that I said was bull$#it.  Just to put that absurdly low number into context, consider how many people voluntarily upgrade to the latest Windows vers every time MS upends our lives with that lovely business model.  I read recently that Win11 has only been adopted by ~30% of Win10 users. We can apply that obvious reluctance to change (for many reasons) back to any previous Win vers.

3) I would like to know if those select few of you who continue to defend & promote EN V10 here have a vested interest in this company/app?  And if not, perhaps you can agree that some of us have spent millions of hours developing & using Legacy into our lives in ways that you may not have.

1. V. 10 was a mess when it first came out, as everyone acknowledges, but that was several years ago, and I find that updates today just don't break things. They don't always fix anything obvious either, but that's another story. If I'm in the middle of something and see there's an Evernote update, I just ignore it. It won't install, as you say, until the next "relaunch," meaning I either (a) click the link to relaunch and install, (b) quit Evernote completely (File > Quit) and restart it, or (c) restart my computer. Avoiding those when possible avoids the update.
  2. Here's what I suggest. Fly to Italy. Walk into Evernote's offices and demand that they give you a list of every single one of their users and what version they're on. Then do the math. Short of that, I have the impression you're going to just call any number you don't like a fake. Or is there some number you'd actually consider plausible? Or is it just possible that this is the natural human tendency to feel that what one is involved in or prefers is a big deal and the majority opinion?
  3. Speaking of BS. That is frankly pretty obnoxious, and I'm very tired of hearing it (assuming I'm one of the people you're talking about). Of course I don't have any vested interest in Evernote. No. That's false. It's not true. It's libelous. Any other way I can put it? Or are you just going to keep assuming that people who disagree with you are doing so in bad faith? I also put quite a bit of time into developing my use of pre-v. 10 Evernote. I hated v. 10 when it first came out, because it was a mess. It took a year or two before it began to seem usable enough, so I started using it in the Web client. As I got used to it, I got to find its new features valuable, and pretty much everything I needed from Legacy was eventually added in. What wasn't there, I've been able to live without. And since you admit that you were not born using Legacy, but put "millions of hours" into developing your use of it, why does it seem like some birthright is being taken away if you are now going to have to put a few more hours into once again learning something new? Especially when you've had 3 years to work on it?
  • Like 3

For Mac users who want an alternative to V10, try EaglerFiler.

AS a digital filing cabinet it works MUCH better than Evernote 10, and in some ways better than Evernote Legacy.

Very good support, Nice Mac interface.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jabaron said:

AS a digital filing cabinet it works MUCH better than Evernote 10, and in some ways better than Evernote Legacy.

Mac only: EagleFiler can wholeheartedly be recommended, if it fits your feature requirements.

What it lacks is Legcy's robust sync (it is relying on dropbox or iCloud and should as well work with Synoligy Drive, incl. finder tags). Therefore no concurrent use of it on several devices, which doesn't bother me at all.

What it still lacks is a 3-pane-layout (note preview to the right) and note thumbnails, but that should become available this year with V2.

Support is second to none, I always get a reply from the owner / developer Michael Tsai within a couple of hours.  

Another - even more Evernote-like solution is KeepIt which has an iOS app as well.

Dear Support and Developers! DO NOT DELETE EVERNOTE LEGACY! 6.25!

With this customer relations level you will lose a lot of old clients, paying clients!

1. Version 10 has problems with the interface; the sidebar is not flexibly adjustable. Users with a large number of notebooks run into problems.

I have Evernote open on a horizontal monitor, and I can’t see more than 30 notebooks; there were no problems with this in version 6.25.

In Web version all my notebooks shown correctly, without hiding.

2. Notes take an awfully long time to load when browsing among notes. In version 6.25 there were no problems with this, they were immediately available and there were no lags.

3. Let users go back to 6.25, either fix the bugs or let them choose the interface.

4. Screen Capture on Windows 11 is not working for me, Windows Snipping Tool launches when I click assigned hot key combination. in 6.25 all works fine.

I hope that I will be heard

Best regards

Timur

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Timur Aliev said:

Dear Support and Developers! DO NOT DELETE EVERNOTE LEGACY! 6.25

We are mainly users here, and although many may agree with your comments, that train has left the station.  If you still want Evernote to see them, please feedback your comments to them.

• Level 5

Nobody will delete legacy.

It will only stop to sync with the server.

Which is a good thing, even for those users who don’t seem to believe it. Closing the outdated access to the server is a necessity.

These are exactly the interfaces running on outdated, unsupported code that are used to compromise networks.

The Internet of 2024 is a hostile, dangerous place. I want my data to be kept as secure as possible. This is not possible until this conglomerate of aged code called legacy API is finally taken offline.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

This is not possible until this conglomerate of aged code called legacy API is finally taken offline.

I will not spend anymore time mourning Legacy since the decision to ditch it is final and BS will not revert it.

OTOH it probably would have been easy to issue security patches for Legacy APIs if running it was so dangerous. 

I may remind you that the last version of Legacy (7.14 on the Mac) was published in Dec. 2019 and it has only been kept alive so long because V10 was barely usable and had real issues until at least September 2023.
So they could not cut off Legacy since they had nothing stable to replace it.

Running it without security patches for over 4 years (which is an eternity in terms of online security)  borders on complete negligence and they are very lucky nothing happened - if it is in fact as insecure as you stated several times now.

All my personal opinion of course.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
49 minutes ago, Feitz said:

I may remind you that the last version of Legacy (7.14 on the Mac) was published in Dec. 2019 and it has only been kept alive so long because V10 was barely usable and had real issues until at least September 2023. …

Sorry, you are in for a hard sell on this one.

I installed v10 when it released for the first time in autumn 2020. On iOS it was usable from 10.6 upwards. On the Mac it was 10.12 that had most initial problems squeezed.

From then on I used my remaining legacy install only rareley. There simply was not much need for it.

That EN released the 7.xx clients for the Mac had nothing to do with believing v10 would not hack it. The reason was that Apple cut support for all 32bit apps in the 2019 release of MacOS.

Being this outdated piece of code already back then, EN would have been killed on the Mac by this move. It was essential to release a 64Bit app to stay afloat.

If you run an actual MacOS, you will have noticed that since 2022 Mac legacy started to develop serious deficiencies. The window size is limited to a narrow „slot“, and since some point in 2023 PDFs will not show any more.

Even if it is still officially syncing, it is unusable on modern Macs. Those still using it run a „dream combo“ of an outdated Legacy app in an outdated MacOS.

This is not the users a company will wait to pick up to the bandwagons. It would be a long wait …

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you run an actual MacOS, you will have noticed that since 2022 Mac legacy started to develop serious deficiencies. The window size is limited to a narrow „slot“, and since some point in 2023 PDFs will not show any more.

That is actually the only reason I quit Legacy on my mac mini when I upgraded to Ventura. Same with my 2015 Macbok Pro which upgraded to Sonoma only recently. That was my last active Legacy install. 

I no longer use Legacy (not my choice to be sure) but have to make do with V10 for what I still use it. 

But the point was that - if you are correct and Legacy was a security mess after all - they let it run for four years without a single security patch. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

But the point was that - if you are correct and Legacy was a security mess after all - they let it run for four years without a single security patch. 

I believe that is speculation.  None of us really know that for sure.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Feitz said:

they let it run for four years

...While constantly trying to persuade users to update to v10 and stop using Legacy.

None of which actually matters - in a couple of weeks it's v10 or another provider,  according to individual choice.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

..While constantly trying to persuade users to update to v10 and stop using Legacy.

It was their decision to let it run alongside of V10. So if they don't shut it down they have to make sure it presents no security risk to user data. 

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Being this outdated piece of code already back then, EN would have been killed on the Mac by this move. It was essential to release a 64Bit app to stay afloat.

I was not arguing the reason for the release but the fact that this release has been running unpatched for four years, which you repeatedly identified as a security risk:

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Closing the outdated access to the server is a necessity.

These are exactly the interfaces running on outdated, unsupported code that are used to compromise networks.

The Internet of 2024 is a hostile, dangerous place. I want my data to be kept as secure as possible. This is not possible until this conglomerate of aged code called legacy API is finally taken offline.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Every outdated code is a security risk - either it is not maintained any more, or it is only maintained passively, which means it does not upgrade as technology advances.

This does not mean it is right now an actual security problem under active exploit. But it is usually just waiting for bad things to happen.

Example: Remember the SYLK file format ? It was use for one of the many failed attempts of Microsoft to become a front runner for web platforms. The program related to it was abandoned many years ago. But the format was still supported by Windows and MS apps.

Then bad actors found out it can execute Macros. And that the MS tools are not monitoring SYLK files - they were out of use, so why care ? And the app that made them was a trusted one, build by MS themselves.

Bingo - SYLK was converted into a thread vector, used to bring macros holding malware past the system guardians, that didn't watch these files.

It could have been avoided if MS would have dropped the outdated format when it made the SYLK app a legacy app, stopping maintenace. But it wasn't.

Nobody knows which deficiencies are already part of the legacy API. Maybe a nice SQL injection fault ? The problem is: When they / we find out, it is too late. For me this is reason enough - no need to continue running code that is abandoned just because a few holdout users demand it. Every interface to the server that is shut down is one threat scenario less.

• Confused 1

Do you guys know any app works like evernote legacy? Easy to use, features are no so advanced, only a note taking application not a note designing application like notion  

43 minutes ago, onrb said:

Do you guys know any app works like evernote legacy? Easy to use, features are no so advanced, only a note taking application not a note designing application like notion  

My all tested list is here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/146739-looking-for-evernote-alternatives%E2%80%A6-suggestions-clarified-my-question/?do=findComment&comment=721492

and tips for you - test this:
https://notesnook.com/
https://joplinapp.org/
https://getupnote.com/
https://www.amplenote.com/

• Like 1
7 hours ago, onrb said:

If on a Mac I would try EagleFiler and KeepIt. KeepIt has thumbnail preview and a 3-pane-layout like Evernote. Eaglefiler will allegedly get these later this year. Both are around for a very long time (predecessor to KeepIt was 'Together')

EDIT: Tag management is better in KeepIt...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Timur Aliev said:

1. Version 10 has problems with the interface; the sidebar is not flexibly adjustable. Users with a large number of notebooks run into problems.

I have Evernote open on a horizontal monitor, and I can’t see more than 30 notebooks; there were no problems with this in version 6.25.

True 100%

18 hours ago, Timur Aliev said:

2. Notes take an awfully long time to load when browsing among notes. In version 6.25 there were no problems with this, they were immediately available and there were no lags.

True 100%

17 hours ago, s2sailor said:

please feedback your comments to them.

I did several times......many times.

Never feedback. NEVER. 
They just ignoring customers. Even I had  non-free version and I am paying for their software. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Zafirik said:

I did several times......many times.

Never feedback. NEVER. 

Personally, I would always expect a response on a problem ticket, but if I’m only giving feedback suggestions, I would not expect a response unless they had a question on my feedback.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, Zafirik said:
21 hours ago, Timur Aliev said:

True 100%

One more time on this: v. 10 (desktop) downloads a completely new copy of your entire notes database to your computer, and while this is happening it will work more slowly. And every time a note is opened, it is converted from the outdated Legacy format to the new always-syncing structure, which also takes a few seconds. In a few days, you'll see the speed improve.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2024 at 2:17 PM, ferol said:

Purely theoretically, can Legacy Offline work without logging check? If so, then do an online synchronization by transferring the local database to some Cloud. For example Dropbox, Synology NAS, etc. And the synchronization will not be provided by Evernote, but by your own cloud. The only thing you need to think about is how to avoid being kicked out of Legacy. Maybe the suggested firewall? That's just a thought for people who want to hold on to Legacy at all costs. At their own risk and responsibility.

And in Legacy stop automatic SYNC in Evernote.

WHY does Evernote need to go to the cloud? My Evernote is local to my Desktop machine. Any reason I couldn't just install it back there?

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

WHY does Evernote need to go to the cloud? My Evernote is local to my Desktop machine. Any reason I couldn't just install it back there?

It doesn't have to, but I'd like to keep my notes in multiple places (home and work at a minimum)

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Legacy was cloud based as well. Or what do you think this Sync button was meant to do ?

Currently, En v6 is on Evernote's cloud-based server. I don't have any option to control WHERE Evernote is, only where it shows up on my local Desktop.

Evernote is removing their cloud-based location on 24 March. How would the replaced-Legacy version on my Desktop know to look at whatever cloud-based server I selected (e.g. Dropbox)?

Almost all of my 22K notes were created locally on my Desktop.

------

P.S. I'm going to run the upgrade to v10, maybe today. But I want a backup version of Legacy Evernote so I can find stuff (for a while). I don't need it in anything but a read-only mode.

From the advice on this forum, I'm not at all clear how to get there.

• Level 5

EN has no option to pick cloud storage. It always and exclusively uses the EN server.

Basically your notes are already stored in 2 versions, one for legacy, one for v10. You don’t see this, it will deliver the data format used by the client that sends the request.

On the 23rd of March they will simply cut the access to the old data format.

The access to the same data (just formatted for v10) will continue using the modern clients.

The only precaution you need to take is if you have any local notebooks. These notebooks are setup to never sync with the server. v10 has no local notebooks. If you have any, this needs to be solved before the 23rd of March. If not, you simply install the v10 client, log in, and your data is already there.

• Thanks 1

Oh.

1. I install v10
2. My evernote database already exists (on Evernote servers).
3. I reinstall v6x legacy software on my Desktop.
4. I then put v6x legacy data where?
5. Somehow I tell v6x legacy not to sync.

Is that it, @PinkElephant?

• Level 5

If you follow my list, you first sync your existing legacy client. After it finished, you copy the folder with the database to another place, and rename it (say from 📁Evernote to 📁Evernote.OLD.

Then you quit legacy, and install v10. Follow the advice for the initial setup (can’t tell more, have never done this part). After the login your data should already be there. Keep the app open (can be in the background) to allow it to download content.

After a while, quit v10. Install legacy, log in.

Legacy will download your notes - the same it already loaded for v10. These notes will be stored in another place on your drive, they have a different structure than v10 data. Keep legacy running and syncing. It will take a while until everything is downloaded.

Now stay logged in, never again log out ! Quit the app.

Use the Firewall on your PC (or another tool) to block network traffic to and from the Legacy app. Whenever you want to use Legacy, make sure that Firewall is running, and the block for Legacy is still in place. 

• Thanks 1

@PinkElephant, thanks.

I'm on Windows 10, so I have no apps. When I shut down my computer, I close all open programs. Does that log me out of legacy Evernote? (I don't have to log into Evernote when I start up the Desktop application in the morning).

Should I open up a browser session of Evernote so that I don't get logged out?

• Level 5

No, quitting the app (which is short for application, which is a synonym for software) will not log you out, nor will a restart of the PC.

You can log out yourself, which you should avoid to continue using the legacy client. And you can be forcibly logged out by the server. To avoid this, you should cut any network access for the legacy app. Once logged out you will not be able to access your locally stored data, even if you use the legacy client. That’s why staying logged in is so important.

A browser session with EN web client will do nothing. - it is a completely independent access to the server data. It has no interaction with a legacy or v10 client installed on the same computer.

• Thanks 1

Buh bye, Evernote.  Have been a long-tme user, but you discontinuing local notebooks did me in.  It has been a frustrating journey.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Using a cloud service to store content locally … 

Since many advanced features are executed on the server, the logic behind local notebooks was always a bit special.

Anyhow, they are gone, and so are you.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

if you have nothing meaningful to say "DONT DISTURB THE SILENCE"

There's a moral in there somewhere. 

No-one here is a shill,  and no-one (including,  with all respect,  you) is in position to do anything but protect their interests in regards to what's happening in the real world - which is that Legacy is ending soon. 

Use v10 or move elsewhere - your choice.  Please accept that and move on.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, fuchsfr said:

I just tried the latest version on EN and it is slower than the legacy version I run.  You loose the ability to control the sync and leave it to EV to do what's best.  THAT WAS A BIG COST SAVINGS for them.  It's not about security, its's about cost and the sooner you realize that, the more you will understand the next price hike of 15% coming

I won't repeat the reasons why the slowness may be temporary--they're easily found in the forums. "Losing the ability to control the sync" = "Not losing what you wrote because your battery died / there was a power outage / someone spilled coffee on the keyboard before you manually synced." (The constant sync has literally saved me from the battery-death loss of text already.) I don't know why you think programming and implementing an entirely new note structure that syncs constantly somehow saves Evernote money. Fortunately, I probably don't care why either. There are rational reasons for wanting to retain Legacy, or leave for another app, but I don't think these are the best ones.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

P.S. Pink, None of this is opinion, it's MBA training and PM training.

Yes, I confirm. In fact, EN has a good chance to get covered in such courses in the future. As an example for how not to do it.

I am not predicting the demise of EN either. But it does look like they are driving hard in that direction, doesn't it?

Well I need to qualify that: It looks like that to me  and some others. It might not look like that at all to @PinkElephant, though.

• Like 1

Now that I mention it: they already teach the "Osborn Effect"

The Osborne effect is a social phenomenon of customers canceling or deferring orders for the current, soon-to-be-obsolete product as an unexpected drawback of a company's announcing a future product prematurely

V10 is similar to Osborn 2. The customers of legacy did stick with the product, though. Osborne 2 was never delivered, after all. EN V10 was, it is just not up to standards 3 years after introduction. And it comes at least at the double price. So it not the same, just similar.

That EN survived these 3 years (well, one could say it didn't, see BS acquisition) is a miracle (and due to legacy, I submit). If BS would have fixed V10, it would have been OK and a smooth migration. Instead, they still do not have customer support, do not fix 3 year old and rather dramatic bugs, but they add new glitz (introducing new issues, too). Perhaps it will work out for them. 

I actually wish it would. But I am hedging my bets now full steam. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I think when all the users that first were dragging their feet and are now hedging their bets have left, the impact will be negligible. There is a small group who will not be convinced, no matter what is done. This is quite normal, so please move on, nothing to be seen here.

Personally I feel honored by the insight that I don't post anything useful to them (and if I do, be assured it is not intentional).

My interest is the future, not a group of grumpy left behinds.

For those who want to contribute there is an interesting initiative by @ferol to collect and evaluate issues and features, and make them available to EN management. This makes sense and is worth investing some time and ideas.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, fuchsfr said:

10 years ago there were almost no options.  The protections that EN enjoyed for so long are gone.

Absolutely!  If nothing else, this 'shake-down' of current users by BS is opening a lot of people's eyes to what alternatives are out there today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

The decision to almost double prices last year, was one only takes when it's absolutely required.  It's usually the last step you take.  So we know sustainability is at risk.

And dumping legacy is another cost cutting solution.  To maintain an old product requires staff, hardware, pipe and ping.  Staff you could layoff or deploy on the core product if you End Of Support (EOS) the Legacy product. Hardware redeployed and pipe and ping eliminated.

I quite agree with all this. I just don't see what it has to do with automatic, continuous sync instead of sync-on-demand (or on a schedule). But let's let this one drop.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

EN V10 was, it is just not up to standards 3 years after introduction.

Again, opinion presented as fact. It works fine for me. I miss nothing whatsoever about Legacy, perhaps because I (wisely, unwisely, or by sheer accident) didn't build a workflow that could only be maintained if nothing about Evernote ever changed. But maybe my standards are just too low. 🙄

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I think when all the users that first were dragging their feet and are now hedging their bets have left, the impact will be negligible. There is a small group who will not be convinced, no matter what is done. This is quite normal, so please move on, nothing to be seen here.

Personally I feel honored by the insight that I don't post anything useful to them (and if I do, be assured it is not intentional).

For those who want to contribute there is an interesting initiative by @ferol to collect and evaluate issues and features, and make them available to EN management. This makes sense and is worth investing some time and ideas.

@ferol@PinkElephant could link that initiative?

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Again, opinion presented as fact. It works fine for me. I miss nothing whatsoever about Legacy, perhaps because I (wisely, unwisely, or by sheer accident) didn't build a workflow that could only be maintained if nothing about Evernote ever changed. But maybe my standards are just too low. 🙄

Dave, with all due respect, have you tried exporting a note with attachments as a Website (HTML)? Try that please and click on an attachment link in the HTML file when presented in a browser. I doubt that "nobody needs that".

And of course, you are right, my opinion is my opinion and not a fact. But building a workflow that relies on a standard action (HTML export) working properly is not an vastly exaggerated expectation, I submit.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

And my interest is in the present. And in the present the track record of EN/BS is very questionable and the product V10 has serious issues for me.

You can be as conceited as you are and say: blah, that's of no interest to me and should not be to EN, he is just a grumpy left-behind. That statement doesn't describe the product or me. Rather, it describes you; I should think.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you were like me using v10 since more than 3 years, you would be in the here and now. Maybe this would be a better platform to look ahead.

Your „serious issues“ are likely just things the new app does differently, or doesn’t do at all. Calling them „serious“ is just another word for „how dare they do things different to what I am used to“. Like all old people of any age do, when the world changes.

Well, EN changed things (BS only came into the picture lately), and as always some decisions do not suit me, most are OK, and some are brilliant. But you only seem obsessed with what you dislike. Just go ahead, 15 days and counting.

14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Your „serious issues“ are likely just things the new app does differently, or doesn’t do at all. Calling them „serious“ is just another word for „how dare they do things different to what I am used to“. Like all old people of any age do, when the world changes.

You can't be serious. I could dig out your post that acknowledges the HTML export bug (you even tried to fix it, as I recall, but could not). This is just one example. A huge bug like that -- 3 years old -- hardly qualifies as "V10 does it differently". This is ridiculous, I am sorry.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you were like me using v10 since more than 3 years, you would be in the here and now.

well, even V10 is not an application that is so hard to grasp that you need 3 years to fully understand its ins and outs. Since I had to switch only recently because of my last Monterey installation gone I used V10 and if I hit a roadblock it's not due to a lack of understanding of my part.

V10 is definitely better than half a year ago and I didn't have any note content lost in sync recently but there are still so many inconsistencies, shortcomings and features that are lacking where they definitively should not, that for my use case Legacy was far superior, more efficient to use and without the 'this drives me nuts'-factor that I encounter in V10 all the time.

So if you stopped telling people who prefer Legacy that either their use case is irrelevant or they simply don't grasp the divine benefits of V10 we would probably get along much better in this forum.

For @ferol I got a new one, if others can verify this: 

In Legacy when I created a note with only a PDF in it I then added a JPG before the PDF so the JPG would show in the thumbnail of the note.

In V10 this JPG normally will not show in thumbnails (sometimes it does though), if I add text before the PDF the text shows. Inconsistent behaviour, as usual. A bit difficult to describe. I would rather have it behave exactly as Legacy behaved, this was much better to see at a glance what's in the notes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Feitz said:

well, even V10 is not an application that is so hard to grasp that you need 3 years to fully understand its ins and outs. Since I had to switch only recently because of my last Monterey installation gone I used V10 and if I hit a roadblock it's not a lack of understanding of my part.

V10 is definitely better than half a year ago and I didn't have any note content lost in sync recently but there are still so many inconsistencies, shortcomings and features that are lacking where they definitively should not, that for my use case Legacy was far superior, more efficient to use and without the 'this drives me nuts'-factor that I encounter in V10 all the time.

So if you stopped telling people who prefer Legacy that either their use case is irrelevant or they simply don't grasp the divine benefits of V10 we would probably get along much better in this forum.

For @ferol I got a new one, if others can verify this: 

In Legacy when I created a note with only a PDF in it I then added a JPG before the PDF so the JPG would show in the thumbnail of the note.

In V10 this JPG normally will not show in thumbnails (sometimes it does though), if I add text before the PDF the text shows. Inconsistent behaviour, as usual. A bit difficult to describe. I would rather have it behave exactly as Legacy behaved, this was much better to see at a glance what's in the notes.

this is high priority:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/80084-control-which-image-shown-in-a-notes-thumbnailsnippet-view/

4 minutes ago, ferol said:

this is high priority:

no, this seems to be a different issue. I would not wish so much as to determine which image of my note shows, I would be content if the only picture in the note would be shown. That is, if there is a PDF present in the note as well. 

To clarify: I have only one JPG and one PDF in the note, and the JPG will not show (most of the time). 

Just now, Feitz said:

no, this seems to be a different issue. I would not go so far as to determine which image of my note shows, I would be content if the only picture in the note would be shown. That is, if there is a PDF present in the note as well. 

To clarify: I have only one JPG and one PDF in the note, and the JPG will not show (most of the time). 

sure... different problem. I know..

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

I'm not trying to be funny but every time I look at your user name I think Grumpy from the dwarfs.

My grandson also calls me 'grumpy',  but that's neither here nor there...

• Haha 4
48 minutes ago, ferol said:

sure... different problem. I know..

this gets weirder by the minute: 

I wanted to recreate this issue to make a screenshot for clarification (with a recipe from GialloZafferano, very good site btw. if anyone loves Italian food). 

1. dragged a PDF into V10 to create a note

2. the note was created and the thumbnail showed the (very small) PDF.

3. dragged a JPG in front of the PDF

Result:

The JPG is gone, the PDF is gone, only an 'untitled Attachment' remains.

I did this in Legacy a thousand times without issue.

image.jpeg.f2e55a5fe4b2c9c731b881819852cf99.jpeg

The thumbnail still shows the PDF as it was prior to adding the JPG.

image.jpeg.e0ce810c7cb52e484290c51e75768c61.jpeg

Sorry, can't decrease the size since then ALL of V10 desktop becomes so small it is unreadable...

EDIT: just did the same thing again with the same result, PDF, JPG gone, untitled attachment remains.

At least the issue is consistent here...

EDIT: clicking the 'untitled Attachment' opens the image in preview, the PDF is nowhere to be found but still shows in the thumbnail.

I made sure to insert the JPG BEFORE the PDF, not on top of it (blue line where it was supposed to be inserted).

• Like 1

I have fond memories of that image! ❤️ I'm not sure that's the exact one, but it seemed pretty close! I didn't know gazump was a real word until a little while ago. I actually associated the word gazumped with a gorilla before I knew what it really meant. It just seemed to go so well together to me. I like your new one now too though! Cheers! 😃

Sorry for the continuation of the meta tangent. /end

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Feitz Just replicated your steps. Weird, and leaves only the question: Why do others get all the action and fun ?

Because it worked for me, doing exactly what I expected: A note was created, more was added, something else was added - 🥱 - and again, same result ...

So sorry, can't replicate your observation, and frankly I didn't expect it, from my user experience.

Differences (maybe, and probably not relevant): I am on Macs, and I have mature, fully downloaded databases.

I think @PinkElephant just like myself have zero issues with our mature v10 databases and are overall happy with the direction that the product is taking as of late.

No one called you a luddite. It's a change for sure, but change is everywhere, everything changes. It's important to be able to adapt to change.

As for @Feitz I suggest you contact support. I was having some oddities with tasks at one point and they "reindexed" my account and that solved it. Perhaps you should open a ticket with support and explain that you are coming over from legacy with a large amount of notes and are running into weird issues with v10 and see if there is anything on the backend that they can do. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am on Macs, and I have mature, fully downloaded databases.

same, and the note was just - repeatedly - created with the same behaviour. It is not an 'old' note that was transformed from Legacy.

22 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

As for @Feitz I suggest you contact support.

Yes, I'll do some more testing to get a better feeling for how often and under which circumstances this can be reproduced.

37 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Weird, and leaves only the question: Why do others get all the action and fun ?

I think when I posted an error I never was the only one who encountered this. 

'Untitled Attachments' has been mentioned a couple of times, so there may be more circumstances that lead to this error.

Em 07/03/2024 at 22:52, fuchsfr disse:

I just tried the latest version on EN and it is slower than the legacy version I run.  You loose the ability to control the sync and leave it to EV to do what's best.  THAT WAS A BIG COST SAVINGS for them.  It's not about security, its's about cost and the sooner you realize that, the more you will understand the next price hike of 15% coming.

Automatic syncing is much better for me than manual syncing. I no longer have to worry about whether or not a note is saved. It's one less thing to worry about and I can focus on the work that matters.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 3/8/2024 at 3:37 PM, Feitz said:

Are you saying that you were able to control what image appears in the thumbnail of a note just by where you are positioning it? That would be surprising. The inability to control thumbnails has been a long-standing complaint, including in v. 6 long before v. 10.

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Are you saying that you were able to control what image appears in the thumbnail of a note just by where you are positioning it? That would be surprising. The inability to control thumbnails has been a long-standing complaint, including in v. 6 long before v. 10.

If I recall it, we had year long threads here about how to force EN to show a certain thumb nail. We had exotic rules like the longest of the short edges, first added was frozen, pictures get priority over pdfs, etc.

We had a jolly time jumping on every explanation - and seeing the hope vanish into the mist of the server enigma time over time. We ended up with the conclusion there is no rule that works all of the time, with every note, in any combination.

That a picture added first will be thumbnailed and the thumbnail frozen into the note is one of these stories that are good, but not reliably so: Sometimes content added later resulted in a change of the thumbnail. And often it didn’t …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Are you saying that you were able to control what image appears in the thumbnail of a note just by where you are positioning it?

No, I have a note that contains one PDF and one JPG. The JPG is inserted before the PDF. In Legacy the JPG would show in the thumbnail.

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, Feitz said:

No, I have a note that contains one PDF and one JPG. The JPG is inserted before the PDF. In Legacy the JPG would show in the thumbnail.

As @PinkElephant said, lots of people tried to do that, even in Legacy, and failed. So perhaps you either have a superpower, or else that note is a lucky one.

15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So perhaps you either have a superpower, or else that note is a lucky one.

No, neither I'm afraid.

As I understand it, @PinkElephant refers to choosing which (of several) JPGs should be shown in tumbnails.

If I have only ONE JPG this always showed, I have hundreds of notes that worked that way (well, in Legacy it did).

BTW. If I want to rename an attachment, the extension is hidden in the name field, so I can only modify the title not the file type. Anyone else?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Feitz said:

If I have only ONE JPG this always showed, I have hundreds of notes that worked that way (well, in Legacy it did).

BTW. If I want to rename an attachment, the extension is hidden in the name field, so I an only modify the title not the file type. Anyone else?

The one picture,  one thumbnail thing works for me - I believe there's a separate thumbnail index though;  if we're talking about a recent update and a lot of pictures there might be quite a lot of thumbnailing going on in the background.

-And yes (well spotted) - you can't change a file type in the note,  just the name.  Work-around for the moment - export file / change name / attach back to note.

• Like 1

I totally disagree with stopping using legacy versions of my Evernote. With the previous ones, I can modify the last edition made, which allows me to order the notes to my liking, but now every time I edit a note it will be placed first and I want it to remain where it was.

With previous versions I could use this calendar and not only change the day, but also the time!

It is one of the only reasons why I continue using the old version (although I have the new version as well) I don't want to pay for the new legacy if this function is not included. 😠

image.png.5a1eda14d8a7c3cf04a7d073cfd5b710.png

• Like 3

Oh, I miss that capability, too. But I don't think they will (re)-implement it ever. Their priority seems to be releasing new functions, not restoring old ones. 

You can request it, though. I did so already to feedback@evernote.com. Frankly, I don't think they read those emails, Thus, it would be perhaps better if you contacted EN Support via https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

If you are lucky you'll get a ticket number assigned. Good luck.

• Like 1

WE ARE ALL DEAD. EVERNOTE IS DEAD. NO REASON TO USE AN APP THAT WORKS LIKE A BROWSER.

they are probably crashing and we'll be probably forced to unreasonable prices soon. I have heard everybody is looking at NOTION, but it's different. probably by adequately configuring notion and doing some practice you'll have a more stable and reliable version for free. I'm now looking into it. there are clearly signs that evernote is closing support and moving to a cloud only service.

• Like 2
6 horas atrás, kiwiads disse:

WE ARE ALL DEAD. EVERNOTE IS DEAD. NO REASON TO USE AN APP THAT WORKS LIKE A BROWSER.

they are probably crashing and we'll be probably forced to unreasonable prices soon. I have heard everybody is looking at NOTION, but it's different. probably by adequately configuring notion and doing some practice you'll have a more stable and reliable version for free. I'm now looking into it. there are clearly signs that evernote is closing support and moving to a cloud only service.

Recent thread discussing alternatives to Evernote: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/146739-looking-for-evernote-alternatives…-suggestions-clarified-my-question/

Choose one and be happy!

• Evernote Expert

Sadly you cannot.  In seven days you will only be able to access Evernote via a web browser provided you select the display in desktop mode for evernote.com.  It will be a sub-optimal experience.

The Evernote v10 mobile app will only be available for devices running Android 9 or better.  You might be able to find a version of Android 9 that will install on your device but a device only running Android 6 may not be capable to running Android 9 well.  You'll have to investigate that for yourself. Otherwise a new phone will be the way forward and you probably don't want that expense.

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, kiwiads said:

LOL - reminded me of this:

• Like 3
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, kiwiads said:

Do take a look around the forums for all the threads, going back many years, in which people proclaim that Evernote is in a death spiral, etc. All I would ask of these fortune tellers is that they come back here in another year, when Evernote is stronger and better than ever (that's what my tea leaves say), and admit they were wrong.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

It's poor, poor software. A web app, effectively.

A few of us active users have been managing to struggle along with v10 on a daily basis for the past couple of years and I have used Windows,  Android and Web without many problems.  v10 is just different from Legacy which was originally written 20 years ago and by an entirely different team..  

Regardless of value Legacy is NOT COMING BACK so can we please all just get with the programme and either grudgingly ante up the subscription and raise any issues without harking back to the 'good old days',  or just move on to another app?  - Though I'm sure that won't be as good as Legacy was either...

Evernote and Notion still seem to be the top two organisational apps on the market - I'm sure there will be more contenders in future.  But while we're arguing about which one is best we're not actually getting any work done - and I'd rather go back to trying to help confused users than be yelled at by the retrogrouches amongst us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 3/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, PinkElephant said:

If you follow my list, you first sync your existing legacy client. After it finished, you copy the folder with the database to another place, and rename it (say from 📁Evernote to 📁Evernote.OLD.

Before copying the folder %USERPROFILE%\Evernote it is important to kill  or terminate every Evernote process. Usually, there are two or three of them: The legacy process Evernote.exe,  the icon in the system tray (Evernote Tray.exe) and the EvernoteClipper.exe. Be sure that you are logged in in Evernote when doing this backup. 

BTW Very useful is to write down your volume id of the C:\ partion...The volume id can be seen with the 'dir C:' command.

Now, restoring your old Evernote legacy installation and using your old backup files is always possible without logging in on the original system (with the original volume C:) because the state of the database says that you are already logged in. You can even migrate to other systems as an offline virtual machine when the 'C:' volume has the same volume id as the original volume.

• Like 1

FYI, Notion, Joplin, Obsidian, Amplenote, UpNote and many other alternatives are either purely webapps or built using Electron.... just like Evernote. OneNote is native as is Apple Notes but those are made by huge firms that have the resources to build software using native API's particularly Microsoft, moreover in the case of OneNote it is a loss leader and was nearly discontinued a few years ago.

If you're angry at Evernote for adopting Electron for v10, your head will explode when you find out that EVERYTHING uses Electron if it is built to be cross platform. Even Microsoft has built the new version of Outlook that will replace win32 Outlook going forward around their Webview2 runtime which is similar to Electron but serviced as an external runtime rather than being packaged with the application, it's built off of their fork of Chromium.

As Javascript has gotten more powerful with frameworks like React and runtimes like Electron and Node and as webapps become more native-like in terms of performance most software vendors have abandoned native APIs for these applications built using web technologies, JS/HTML/CSS.

It's simply not a valid reason in 2024 to choose to not use a product, it's that prevalent.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

The same guy @ben353253 argued in another thread that MS is so clever to allow every old app that was coded for Windows XP to run under Windows 11. This is best business practice, should be followed by anybody else, blah blah 

There is really somebody in 2024 defending a practice that is fueling the ransomware pest as nothing else. If anywhere in the world a network get's hacked, users data stolen and drives encrypted, it is nearly always through MS software.

These clowns in Redmond are not even able to keep their own network closed and safe.

It makes no sense to discuss with people who could recognize reality by simply opening their eyes, but instead insist that the worst business practice on earth should be taken as an example.

Today EVERY piece of outdated code that is killed and removed is good news.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The same guy @ben353253 argued in another thread that MS is so clever to allow every old app that was coded for Windows XP to run under Windows 11. This is best business practice, should be followed by anybody else, blah blah 

There is really somebody in 2024 defending a practice that is fueling the ransomware pest as nothing else. If anywhere in the world a network get's hacked, users data stolen and drives encrypted, it is nearly always through MS software.

These clowns in Redmond are not even able to keep their own network closed and safe.

It makes no sense to discuss with people who could recognize reality by simply opening their eyes, but instead insist that the worst business practice on earth should be taken as an example.

Today EVERY piece of outdated code that is killed and removed is good news.

Agreed, relying on unpatched legacy software is incredibly dangerous from an infosec perspective. In Microsoft's defense, they were attacked by Cozy Bear. They are some of the THE most sophisticated state sponsored hackers in the world.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

These hacker would likely have failed - if MS did not have an old test mail account, unattended (which is bad practice, because it was not removed after testing) that held some still valid keys. Not keys, but KEYS, master version that were able to unlock an active network access as admin as well (which is again bad practice, because one should never use the same keys for an active account that are used for testing).

They probably still used a lot of wit and knowledge, but what they needed was served to them.

But that is the smaller problem. The bigger problem is to allow all sort of outdated code to run on the latest platform. And here is the parallel to our legacy huggers: They believe it is brilliant, and must be kept active. Looking closer it is crappy 32bit code, with unknown dependencies to other outdated code, not maintained for at least 3 years now. And controlling it grants access to the cloud server where OUR data is stored.

I would like to see it killed NOW, if this was possible.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

These hacker would likely have failed - if MS did not have an old test mail account, unattended (which is bad practice, because it was not removed after testing) that held some still valid keys. Not keys, but KEYS, master version that were able to unlock an active network access as admin as well (which is again bad practice, because one should never use the same keys for an active account that are used for testing).

They probably still used a lot of wit and knowledge, but what they needed was served to them.

But that is the smaller problem. The bigger problem is to allow all sort of outdated code to run on the latest platform. And here is the parallel to our legacy huggers: They believe it is brilliant, and must be kept active. Looking closer it is crappy 32bit code, with unknown dependencies to other outdated code, not maintained for at least 3 years now. And controlling it grants access to the cloud server where OUR data is stored.

I would like to see it killed NOW, if this was possible.

Agreed, it really increases Evernote's attack surface and puts our data at risk. Especially given that the team that developed it it looooong gone and no one currently working at Bending Spoons can be too familiar with the source code to even know what vulnerabilities may exist. Legacy should have been killed in 2022 at the latest. No other company would have kept it around this long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 3/16/2024 at 5:46 AM, kiwiads said:

i've tried Notion, same en10 problems - fat and slow.
now i'm trying the Obsidian, it looks much much better, than Notion and EN10 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
49 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Is anyone interested joining a class action suit against Bending Spoon for deprecation of functionality during a fully paid Subscription.

Basically the suit would force BS to return the delta from March 23 2024 till the end of your current subscription plan. Plus Legal fees.

Since this is the first time in history that any software platform, social media, print publication, or cable service has ever changed anything during the course of a subscription, I'm sure there's a good case to be made. 😅 And don't forget that "change" is not the same as "deprecation" without a whole lot of evidence that every change was a deprecation, and no change was an improvement.