Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

Hi folks, got an email from Evernote telling the following:

legacy-decommission.png
Update to continue using Evernote
On March 23, 2024, we’ll be saying goodbye to legacy versions of the Evernote app. On that date, all versions of Evernote released prior to v10 on macOS, Windows, and Android will stop working. The iOS version has already been decommissioned.
You are receiving this email because, according to our records, you are currently using a legacy Evernote app on one of your devices. You must install the latest version of Evernote (v10) before March 23, 2024, to continue using your Evernote account.
We strongly encourage you to update well before March 23. If you don’t update in time, your legacy app will stop working, and you won’t be able to log in again until you install v10 or use Evernote Web. To update to the latest version of Evernote, go to the relevant app store or Evernote.com/download.
Read more about our decision to decommission legacy versions of Evernote and recommended best practices before updating: Saying goodbye to Evernote’s legacy clients.
Get to know v10
A lot has improved in v10 since it was released in 2020. Here are just a few of the exciting developments from the last year.
We’re excited to close this chapter in Evernote’s story so that we can focus all our attention on the future. We greatly appreciate your cooperation and wholeheartedly believe you’ll come to love v10 as much as we do. 💚
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

Hopefully they will invest the freed ressources in optimizing the Android client. It is still unbearably slow and still way to instable for me on every Android device I own.  Since EN 10 I have been waiting for an Android client that does run fluently on real world (not only top notch) Android devices, again. We had that with the native EN 8.13.3.

@Federico Simionato: Any chance that we will see a substantial boost in performance on the Android app? Thank you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This is awful news. Android doesnt work for me at all. Can't search for things properly.

Also, on my work PC, Evernote 10 doesnt work well. I've sent Frederico so many suggestions, but no progress.

I need to make time to find a replacement.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I tried to switch from Evernote to OneNote recently, but it just wasn't good enough...

But there are still a large number of features which the new App (to be more precise, the PC version 10) does worse than the old.  The most important one for me is that I use two different Evernote accounts, and need them both open at the same time.  If they can't fix this, and force me to use their new, worse app, and increase their prices, then I will have to continue actively looking for a viable alternative.  

Any suggestions?

• Like 4

Here is my latest review comparing both versions, Free Account

Features not present in New Version or better managed in Legacy Version (Free Account)
New or better features in New Version (Free Account)
  • less fonts
  • less font colours
  • less settings control
  • no top toolbar 4 shortcuts
  • faster then new version
  • notes in local computer, not only online (works offline if logged in before and syncs after); in New Version there is option to keep local copy of Evernote database
  • more visible space (snippet view 6 vs 4 notes; side list 24 vs 15 notes)

• more highlight colours
  • strikethrough completed checklist itens (although no option to go to bottom of list)
  • recent notes list
  • editable keyboard shortcuts
  • embed youtube videos
  • collapsible left column
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Home, Tasks, real time syncing, shared editing, ...

Legacy is so lost. With modern MacOs not usable any more. 32bit code on Windows, not able to draw from modern software libraries.

Game over ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Alxa said:

Hi folks, got an email from Evernote telling the following:

Thanks. I was wondering if they were going to email folks about it vs just a blog or X post. I haven't gotten an email myself yet, but I also haven't logged into or used Legacy in a year or so either.

I think just one month advance notice for a final drop-dead date is going to be too short for many but better than 0 months notice. (And also, the writing has been on the wall for a very long time for the majority that have seen it.)

5 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Vďaka. Zaujímalo by ma, či o tom budú e-mailovať ľuďom v porovnaní s blogom alebo príspevkom X. Sám som ešte nedostal e-mail, ale tiež som sa neprihlásil ani nepoužíval Legacy už asi rok.

Myslím si, že len jedno mesačné predstihové oznámenie o konečnom termíne bude pre mnohých príliš krátke, ale lepšie ako nulové. (A tiež, nápis bol na stene veľmi dlho pre väčšinu, ktorá ho videla.)

Why bother people who don't use Legacy?
I, for example, still use Legacy on one PC - but solely as a backup system that backs up my PC's entire database on a daily basis from the Free account where I share all my workbooks.

So I already know I'll have to rework the automatic backups and drop Legacy...

From the blog post (https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning😞

• "If you don’t update in time, your legacy app will stop working, and you won’t be able to log in again until you install v10 or use Evernote Web."
  • "Evernote v10 does not support local notes. When you first open v10, you’ll be prompted to upload your local notebooks to the Cloud via the Convert local notebooks tool. However, we strongly encourage you to upsync your local notes before updating to the latest version."

I bet there will be many users, and we'll probably see at least a few comments, where they have local only notebooks on an outdated computer that cannot be upgraded to v10. Yes, yes, they should have upgraded and shouldn't be running on an old OS and whatever, but it sounds like these people will be locked out of their notes? Like even running Evernote in a disconnected/non-sync state will not be possible as they will be signed out? (Is that right?)

Why not just stop the legacy clients from syncing instead of logging them out I wonder?

• Like 5
  • Level 5

Anybody on a not supported OS can still log in on the web client.

No idea what happens when the legacy client was logged in before 23rd March, and then is opened with the PC in offline. Academical question, I suppose.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Yup - had my email this morning too.  Uninstalled Legacy from my phone - which was only there while I trialled sending images by email rather than using the Evernote camera.  (I don't upgrade phones often - it's mainly there for texts,  calls and photographs;  mine still runs Android 8 and the Play Store doesn't offer any options to upgrade from Legacy.)

I do run v10 on my Android tablet,  which sucks slightly less now than it used to - at least I'm not prone to random crashes,  which has happened before. 

Most of my active work is on desktop or laptop for which v10 is fine and totally workable.  The (android) tablet is for lookups and browsing...  and (mostly) works...

I'm happy to have Legacy sunsetting now - there are no excuses left for continuing to use it because "v10 is not as good" or whatever.  No user will lose any data (yet) because it's still on the servers which you can access through the web or by installing the new app.  I would expect Evernote to follow up with a house-clear for anyone not making regular use of an account - on the lines of "there's been no access to this account for 6 months;  it will be deleted soon..." 

"Use it or lose it" seems like a sensible policy that's used by most cloud storage providers.

Having worked in a customer service team I can testify that keeping everything working normally for users is like that old circus trick of spinning 12 plates on sticks around a table.  In Evernote's recent case they upped the game to 24 plates because they were keeping that backwards compatibility going for two levels of application.  Now they can concentrate on making one modern delivery channel more reliable with current methods and code, 

I very much look forward to the rest of this year!

For everyone else - if you're:

• clinging to your leaking Legacy life-preserver,  now's the time to let it go.  Upgrade to v10 so you continue to have access to your content.  If that experience is terrible for you,  please ask us - politely - for help (don't forget to include your device / OS & Evernote version numbers).  A restart,  or at worst a clean re-install is often all it needs to make things much better.
  • ranting,  please do it to feedback@Evernote.com - you can do it here,  but we're manly mainly* users representing the 'other' 75% of users who are at least willing to see what the next year brings.  We also reserve the right to rant back.
  • celebrating the change because it will give Evernote a chance to get onto those other features you've been demanding for ages - please don't bother to share here.  Start another thread by all means,  but comments about anything other than Legacy ending soon are (IMHO) off topic.
  • moving on to a much better third party app and wish to compare its virtues over Evernote in detail - that's also off-topic (and increasingly boring) and we have a couple of other threads for that anyway. 

* Edit: no puns intended...

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Anybody on a not supported OS can still log in on the web client.

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

No user will lose any data (yet) because it's still on the servers which you can access through the web or by installing the new app.

What about local only notebooks on machines that are too old to install v10. It reads to me like they might be possibly locked out of those notes and I wonder if Bending Spoons has considered that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, Boot17 said:

What about local only notebooks on machines that are too old to install v10. It reads to me like they might be possibly locked out of those notes and I wonder if Bending Spoons has considered that.

No one is 'locked out' but I hate hypothetical questions - let's take each case as it comes.  If you really can't install v10,  then export what you have to one or more of HTML ENEX or PDF.  You then have your local human-readable copy,  plus the access to use a different provider.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Home and Work user said:

I tried to switch from Evernote to OneNote recently, but it just wasn't good enough...

But there are still a large number of features which the new App (to be more precise, the PC version 10) does worse than the old.  The most important one for me is that I use two different Evernote accounts, and need them both open at the same time.  If they can't fix this, and force me to use their new, worse app, and increase their prices, then I will have to continue actively looking for a viable alternative.  

Any suggestions?

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe it is possible to have one account open in the Evernote desktop app and a second one open in the Web client in a browser.

As for the "new, worse app": that is your opinion, shared by many. To be precise, by the 1% of Evernote users still using Legacy (per the blog post). The remaining 99% of us, or at least a good proportion, seem to find v. 10 quite capable. If there are other features, besides multiple account access, that you find inadequate in v. 10, you could start a thread here and list them. It may be that we poor benighted v. 10 aficionados may have some suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Actualy you can have one account open in the app, and several others in the web client, using several browser tabs (not supported in all browsers).

You can have the same account open in the app plus the web browser tabs.

And you can have the same note open in the app and several web browser tabs, and you can use them all at the same time to edit the same note, with the edits from one tab appearing in all the others while you type.

Try this in legacy, and the client would simply freak, flooding you with duplicates and conflict notes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, jpaz said:

Here is my latest review comparing both versions, Free Account

Features not present in New Version or better managed in Legacy Version (Free Account)
New or better features in New Version (Free Account)
  • less fonts
  • less font colours
  • less settings control
  • no top toolbar 4 shortcuts
  • faster then new version
  • notes in local computer, not only online (works offline if logged in before and syncs after); in New Version there is option to keep local copy of Evernote database
  • more visible space (snippet view 6 vs 4 notes; side list 24 vs 15 notes)

• more highlight colours
  • strikethrough completed checklist itens (although no option to go to bottom of list)
  • recent notes list
  • editable keyboard shortcuts
  • embed youtube videos
  • collapsible left column

You left out something on the right side of the table: a common experience and interface on multiple platforms. What enabled the greater number of fonts (and maybe colors too) on the older version on some platforms was that it used fonts specific to those platforms (mainly Windows and Mac). Those fonts were copyrighted and couldn't be included in the mobile or Web apps, resulting in differences of appearance on different platforms that were at best unpleasant, and sometimes impaired functionality. The tradeoff for getting the common experience across platforms was fewer fonts, but fonts (including colors, formatting, and heading styles) that appeared consistent wherever you looked at your notes.

The loss of local, unsynced notes and notebooks also seems to reflect an emphasis on one of Evernote's greatest strengths, its availability for work across multiple devices on multiple operating systems.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
Just now, PinkElephant said:

Actualy you can have one account open in the app, and several others in the web client, using several browser tabs (not supported in all browsers).

I would worry about cookies causing confusion among multiple accounts in multiple tabs of the same browser. Using private browser windows for the different accounts would probably prevent that (or using different browsers).

I think the Evernote team also realized that they couldn't take legacy version users.
The new version didn't fit my purpose of managing notes at all.
Rather, it would have been nice to be able to select the Legacy UI  and provide an option to use some functions like Legacy in the new version.
Evernote Legacy is still more convenient, but obsidian is better than new Evernote.
In the end, I had no choice but to cancel my personal plan and consider Obsidian.
I need to migrate during the remaining plan period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Mentioned in the forums before I think.  To keep legacy as a backup, single PC, a firewall rule can be created such that legacy is blocked from the internet avoiding the logged out issue. That provides access to legacy, but that's about it.  

A band aid for sure.  Lose the PC or not use the rule and you lose the backup.  I left EN to my own solution (synced with E2E encryption access on Windows and IOS) back in December of 2021.  I converted my 60k existing notes to HTML in the process.  Fine tuned now, I think.  Anyway, I will use this firewall method for the rare times I may want to see the original.  If I don't use it in 3  - 6 months I will probably delete it all.  Just costing me disk space in any case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, CalS said:

To keep legacy as a backup, single PC, a firewall rule can be created such that legacy is blocked from the internet avoiding the logged out issue. That provides access to legacy, but that's about it.

Does legacy have an internal time out function? Its been a long while since I've used it but there could be an "if I can't talk to Evernote home after X days/weeks/months then log out".

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I would worry about cookies causing confusion among multiple accounts in multiple tabs of the same browser. Using private browser windows for the different accounts would probably prevent that (or using different browsers).

Some browsers such as Firefox have containers that can keep cookies et cetera separate based on tabs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Does legacy have an internal time out function? Its been a long while since I've used it but there could be an "if I can't talk to Evernote home after X days/weeks/months then log out".

Not to my knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
33 minutes ago, ukits said:

Rather, it would have been nice to be able to select the Legacy UI  and provide an option to use some functions like Legacy in the new version.

I don't know how long it's been since you tried v. 10, but it may be that the functions you missed at first have been restored. If you wouldn't mind listing a few of them, hopefully some of us could respond. As for the UI -- the v. 10 UI is no longer the v. 10 UI either. 😅 Many of us who like v. 10 are seriously annoyed with the recent UI changes. Who knows, maybe you'd like them! (It's really just cosmetic, no grand rearrangement of where things are.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t think so. But access local only sucks. Even legacy was build to stay in sync with a server - and you feel it.

As stated, only as a backup, single PC.  Belts and suspenders for those transitioning at this LATE date.  😉

• Like 1

Let's hope that the Evernote company will close permanently

A curved and unstable v10? Full of friezes?
No thanks)
I advise everyone to switch to the o-b-s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

You left out something on the right side of the table: a common experience and interface on multiple platforms. What enabled the greater number of fonts (and maybe colors too) on the older version on some platforms was that it used fonts specific to those platforms (mainly Windows and Mac). Those fonts were copyrighted and couldn't be included in the mobile or Web apps, resulting in differences of appearance on different platforms that were at best unpleasant, and sometimes impaired functionality. The tradeoff for getting the common experience across platforms was fewer fonts, but fonts (including colors, formatting, and heading styles) that appeared consistent wherever you looked at your notes.

The loss of local, unsynced notes and notebooks also seems to reflect an emphasis on one of Evernote's greatest strengths, its availability for work across multiple devices on multiple operating systems.

Thks @Dave-in-Decatur, right about common interface on multiple platforms. My experience is only Windows + Android.

One thing that gets on my nerves is the less viewable space. And some things/automatisms I could do (only or better)  in the Legacy app . But these are my habits, and everybody has them but they may differ. Nevertheless, that undoubtedly lowers my evaluation of the app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, jpaz said:

Thks @Dave-in-Decatur, right about common interface on multiple platforms. My experience is only Windows + Android.

One thing that gets on my nerves is the less viewable space. And some things/automatisms I could do (only or better)  in the Legacy app . But these are my habits, and everybody has them but they may differ. Nevertheless, that undoubtedly lowers my evaluation of the app.

Yes, I think that a lot of the resistance to v. 10 has to do with habits or muscle memory that won't transfer from Legacy. But after all, it took awhile to build up those habits in earlier versions of Evernote, and new habits do sink in before long in v. 10 in my experience.

As for less viewable space, I haven't used v. 6 recently enough to compare in my mind, but v. 10 just got worse with the new UI and all its extra padding.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, CalS said:

Finally a line in the sand. 

It is nice of them to finally give us a real deadline here.

What would be even nicer is if they would even pretend to give two s**ts about their user base. And of course, it would have been nice if v10 was an improvement over Legacy rather than an epic fail.

But hey, we are but powerless users. 

If my work life wasn't so incredibly dependent on EN, I'd be gone in a flash, but alas, they got me hooked back when their product was decent, and now I can't break away without a huge effort.

Thanks Evernote!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
25 minutes ago, Gefest said:

Let's hope that the Evernote company will close permanently

A curved and unstable v10? Full of friezes?
No thanks)
I advise everyone to switch to the o-b-s

what is o-b-s? Could you please provide some more details. I am seriously looking for other  alternatives. 

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Having worked in a customer service team I can testify that keeping everything working normally for users is like that old circus trick of spinning 12 plates on sticks around a table.  In Evernote's recent case they upped the game to 24 plates because they were keeping that backwards compatibility going for two levels of application.  Now they can concentrate on making one modern delivery channel more reliable with current methods and code, 

Just curious. You seem like one of the main defenders of the new EN. You say you were on a customer service team at some point (as I have been for most of my life). Do you not find EN's "support" to be the worst you've ever experienced? It's basically non-existent. As an IT professional, I think it's completely unacceptable.

Even if the new EN was the bee's knees (which it most definitely is not), the lack of support would still be egregious.

Would love to hear from somebody at Bending Spoons who actually cares about end users (or even pretends to do so). Instead, all we get is occasional announcements about how awesome the new release is. Which would be somewhat less insulting if the new release didn't suck.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
26 minutes ago, kkarney said:

It is nice of them to finally give us a real deadline here.

What would be even nicer is if they would even pretend to give two s**ts about their user base. And of course, it would have been nice if v10 was an improvement over Legacy rather than an epic fail.

But hey, we are but powerless users. 

If my work life wasn't so incredibly dependent on EN, I'd be gone in a flash, but alas, they got me hooked back when their product was decent, and now I can't break away without a huge effort.

Thanks Evernote!

Perhaps they give 1% of a s**t, which is the amount of their user base still using Legacy (per the blog post). As for the rest of it, I am so tired of hearing this 1% complain that, because v. 10 doesn't work as well for them (or didn't 2 years ago when they actually tried it), it is an "epic fail." Your experience isn't all the experience. Everyone knows that Evernote's support currently stinks; they all but admit it themselves. But they are in fact actively working to improve the function and experience of the apps and service for the 99% of us--would prefer that they freeze out or ignore all their users but you? For a couple of details:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @all

I've been a loyal customer for 10 years and I don't like the idea of retiring Evernote Legacy! I still miss many details in Evernote that I have in the old Evernote Legacy - which is also the reason why I still use Legacy!

The stacks (formerly notebooks) or keywords still can't be customized in style. With Legacy, I can highlight important notebooks in color or change the font of the title. The notes in these books are then also highlighted in the same color. This helps me enormously to keep an overview.

When printing, I miss the header as with Evernote Legacy. Here you can clearly see where the note is stored, keywords and, importantly for me, when the note was created. I need this regularly as proof. In Evernote, this is called "note information", but you can't print it out with the note!
I don't need any new features but would like to have the old feature.

Greetings Helen

• Like 6
  • Level 5

Nobody is forced to use v10.

If these legacy users were so clever to stick with an abandoned software for so long, they are clever enough to find their next app and move their content there.

4 weeks, guys. No time to waste time here in the forum. You procrastinated for more than 3 years now - it’s action time, wake up !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Purely theoretically, can Legacy Offline work without logging check? If so, then do an online synchronization by transferring the local database to some Cloud. For example Dropbox, Synology NAS, etc. And the synchronization will not be provided by Evernote, but by your own cloud. The only thing you need to think about is how to avoid being kicked out of Legacy. Maybe the suggested firewall? That's just a thought for people who want to hold on to Legacy at all costs. At their own risk and responsibility.

And in Legacy stop automatic SYNC in Evernote.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Никто не принуждает использовать v10.

Если эти устаревшие пользователи были настолько умны, что так долго придерживались заброшенного программного обеспечения, они достаточно умны, чтобы найти следующее приложение и переместить туда свой контент.

Ребята, 4 недели. Нет времени тратить время здесь, на форуме. Вы прокрастинировали уже более 3 лет – пришло время действовать, просыпайтесь!

I agree

I have already transferred everything to Obsidian)

Now I'm thinking how could I use Evernote at all and even pay for Premium...

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Perhaps they give 1% of a s**t, which is the amount of their user base still using Legacy (per the blog post). As for the rest of it, I am so tired of hearing this 1% complain that, because v. 10 doesn't work as well for them (or didn't 2 years ago when they actually tried it), it is an "epic fail." Your experience isn't all the experience. Everyone knows that Evernote's support currently stinks; they all but admit it themselves. But they are in fact actively working to improve the function and experience of the apps and service for the 99% of us--would prefer that they freeze out or ignore all their users but you? For a couple of details:

Is that a screenshot of an actual reply from an EN employee? If so, it's a bloody miracle.

I don't use Legacy anymore. I use v10. It sucks. I'm pretty sure more than 1% of users agree with me (judging by the posts in this forum). It's way slower than Legacy, it's buggy as hell (yes, I have auto updating turned on), you can't sort by tag anymore, you can't open a note from a link anymore without going through contortions... I could go on... Any improvements that have been made are certainly not obvious to me (but I'm obviously an idiot).  

If I had any indication that EN/BS cared one tiny iota about their customer base, I would stop complaining nearly as much.  But, dammit, this is a terrible way to run a business. It's indefensible.

I realize all you deliriously happy v10 users are sick of the rest of us complaining, but since EN won't listen to us, this is our only place to vent. I guess I have this fantasy of EN actually looking at these forums and realizing that a lot of people are unhappy. Again, I'm an idiot.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
2 minutes ago, kkarney said:

Is that a screenshot of an actual reply from an EN employee? If so, it's a bloody miracle.

I don't use Legacy anymore. I use v10. It sucks. I'm pretty sure more than 1% of users agree with me (judging by the posts in this forum). It's way slower than Legacy, it's buggy as hell (yes, I have auto updating turned on), you can't sort by tag anymore, you can't open a note from a link anymore without going through contortions... I could go on... Any improvements that have been made are certainly not obvious to me (but I'm obviously an idiot).  

If I had any indication that EN/BS cared one tiny iota about their customer base, I would stop complaining nearly as much.  But, dammit, this is a terrible way to run a business. It's indefensible.

I realize all you deliriously happy v10 users are sick of the rest of us complaining, but since EN won't listen to us, this is our only place to vent. I guess I have this fantasy of EN actually looking at these forums and realizing that a lot of people are unhappy. Again, I'm an idiot.

Click the link to the post I linked to. It's from Federico, the head of Evernote.

As for how many think Evernote 10 sucks, unless you've taken a reliable poll there's no way of knowing just based on forum posts. Forums are for discussing problems, so there are lots of complaints. As you say, it's the only place to vent. The quantity of venting doesn't prove anything about how many people like or dislike v. 10.

I too wish Evernote staffers would respond here, as they used to a few years ago. Maybe the don't feel like subjecting their employees to verbal abuse.

I wish also, though, that people making sweeping statements about Evernote's suckiness and lack of care would go into some specifics. List a few of those bugs. Missing or degraded features is a different category. Tag sorting would be nice, for sure. Opening a note from a link requires a click ... not seeing the contortion--again, details, please.

So yes, I'm actually inviting you to say more.

• Like 2

Anything written in Electron is going to be slower than an app written with native APIs. The trade off is faster development and consistency across platforms which isn't possible using native APIs as each platform has its own and are inherently different. Electron allows developers to create homogeneous apps across Mac/Windows/Web that isn't otherwise possible. This comes with a performance tradeoff which has been mitigated a ton in the last couple of months by significant improvements made. 

Legacy is of course different and some features have been deprecated to allow for consistency across all platforms but v10 doesn't suck, that's an opinion. It's different and change is difficult for everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

While I'm impressed by the ingenuity that's being applied here - are we really talking about trying to use a disconnected app for purposes that it was never designed for,  and entrusting anything other than shopping lists to it?

Experiment all you like,  but if anything goes wrong you will lose access to your data.  Far easier just to accept reality and either embrace v10 or find an alternative.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ferol said:

Purely theoretically, can Legacy Offline work without logging check?

In the old days if you logged out of EN you had to log in when you returned.  Hence the rule was to not log out when going somewhere with no internet access.  That way you would not be locked out if in an internet desert somewhere.  

So if one stays logged into Legacy EN and never lets EN be online you should have access,  Hence the firewall rule.  No overhead to EN with this.  But a very rickety stopgap.  One can try it today.  Once it is disconnected it is indeed disconnected.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CalS said:

Za starých čias, ak ste sa odhlásili z EN, museli ste sa po návrate prihlásiť. Preto pravidlom bolo neodhlásiť sa, keď idete niekam bez prístupu na internet. Týmto spôsobom by ste neboli zamknutí, keby ste niekde na internetovej púšti.  

Takže ak niekto zostane prihlásený do Legacy EN a nikdy nedovolí EN byť online, mali by ste mať prístup, Preto pravidlo brány firewall. Žiadna réžia do EN s týmto. Ale veľmi vratká prestávka. Dnes si to človek môže vyskúšať. Akonáhle je odpojený, je skutočne odpojený.

that's exactly what I meant

Good on y'all who like version 10. I LOATHE it. Loathe, loathe loathe. Legacy suits my purpose perfectly. V10 doesn't. Bloated interface, can't select more than 100 notes at a time, and when you export notes as html, the notes and their html folders are not linked, which is a massive pain. Yes, there are nice things in v10, but not enough of them.
Anyway...
I'd be interested to know what will happen to an Evernote instance that has local notebooks only? If I login while offline, is there a reason I can't access my local notes, come end of March? And when (not if) I log out, will I be able to log back in?
Honestly, if they spun off legacy as a desktop app, I'd buy it. Clip articles with version 10, export and then import as local files in Legacy. It'd be perfect.
And yes, I'll be looking at alternatives, but the problem is that last time I looked, there was nothing is the same league. Evernote (until v10) was an absolutely *fantastic* tool, and there simply was no competition. Otherwise, believe me, I'd have shifted already. So now the search for an alternative is becoming urgent.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
5 minutes ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

I'd be interested to know what will happen to an Evernote instance that has local notebooks only? If I login while offline, is there a reason I can't access my local notes, come end of March? And when (not if) I log out, will I be able to log back in?

Take a look at @ferol's suggestion a little earlier here:

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ferol said:

that's exactly what I meant

3 hours ago, ferol said:

If so, then do an online synchronization by transferring the local database to some Cloud. For example Dropbox, Synology NAS, etc. And the synchronization will not be provided by Evernote, but by your own cloud.

I didn't address the sync stuff.  Best case you would have a central copy only accessible by one PC at a time.  I don't know if you can move the EXB to a cloud drive and have it work.  Accident waiting to happen in my view.  One voice in the wilderness and I am no expert.  🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, CalS said:

Synchronizoval som veci.  Najlepší prípad by ste mali mať centrálnu kópiu prístupnú naraz iba jedným počítačom.  Neviem, či môžete presunúť EXB na cloudovú jednotku a nechať ju fungovať.  Nehoda, ktorá podľa môjho názoru čaká.  Jeden hlas na púšti a ja nie som odborník.  ♂️

unequivocally. Always only one computer at a time. There is a risk of conflict

Wow, not a lot of notice, after months of no notifications at all. For those of us legacy users with free subscriptions, thousands of notes, and 90+ notebooks, the limit to one notebook and 50 notes in the free version of v. 10 and the $11/month price tag for something I don't want in the first place just to keep access to my own information is inexcusable. And Evernote notebooks are apparently stored in the user profile rather than the notes backup (in any form), as every other program I've looked at has told me they couldn't recreate the notebooks, and I'd have to upload them into the new program one by one if I wanted to switch to their platform. All 93 of them. As Evernote is now telling us to back them up singly.

A major reason I never updated is that I was damned if I was going to be completely dependent on anyone other than myself to adequately back up my notes, and the post-legacy versions don't support bulk backup of all notes. That's just nuts. When they sent out a survey last year on why I was still using legacy, and I had a brief flicker of hope that they actually gave a damn, I told them so (and also that I'd be willing to pay for that).

But there has been no change, which shows a fundamental disrespect of a users' need - and RIGHT - to control and safeguard our own information. And for those of you premium subscribers thinking I shouldn't complain if I've been using it free for all these years - it wasn't my idea to create free accounts, Evernote offered them. And then they didn't offer me anything worth buying (yes, I have tried several post-legacy versions, and was disgusted and frustrated by all of them. You don't gain paying customers by making the product WORSE).

However, what we need now is an exit strategy (other than v. 10), which is not being offered by Evernote. I back up all my notes weekly, but I am particularly concerned about encrypted text, which presumably I won't be able to access in any other format. How do I even find all the notes that have that?? And has anyone found another platform in which the notebooks carry over? 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

I back up all my notes weekly, but I am particularly concerned about encrypted text, which presumably I won't be able to access in any other format. How do I even find all the notes that have that??

Try entering

encryption:

into the search. It works on v10 anyway - I don't have legacy anymore to test with.

52 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

And has anyone found another platform in which the notebooks carry over? 

I think one problem with the Legacy all-in-one export to ENEX is that it doesn't contain notebook information. So if you want to keep notes separated into notebooks, you need to export them one notebook at a time anyway. Notion can import from Evernote directly through Evernote's API (https://www.notion.so/help/import-data-into-notion) and so perhaps it preserves the notebook information. However, I think most other app/platforms import Evernote data from the ENEX file.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

Wow, not a lot of notice, after months of no notifications at all. For those of us legacy users with free subscriptions, thousands of notes, and 90+ notebooks, the limit to one notebook and 50 notes in the free version of v. 10 and the $11/month price tag for something I don't want in the first place just to keep access to my own information is inexcusable. And Evernote notebooks are apparently stored in the user profile rather than the notes backup (in any form), as every other program I've looked at has told me they couldn't recreate the notebooks, and I'd have to upload them into the new program one by one if I wanted to switch to their platform. All 93 of them. As Evernote is now telling us to back them up singly.

A major reason I never updated is that I was damned if I was going to be completely dependent on anyone other than myself to adequately back up my notes, and the post-legacy versions don't support bulk backup of all notes. That's just nuts. When they sent out a survey last year on why I was still using legacy, and I had a brief flicker of hope that they actually gave a damn, I told them so (and also that I'd be willing to pay for that).

But there has been no change, which shows a fundamental disrespect of a users' need - and RIGHT - to control and safeguard our own information. And for those of you premium subscribers thinking I shouldn't complain if I've been using it free for all these years - it wasn't my idea to create free accounts, Evernote offered them. And then they didn't offer me anything worth buying (yes, I have tried several post-legacy versions, and was disgusted and frustrated by all of them. You don't gain paying customers by making the product WORSE).

However, what we need now is an exit strategy (other than v. 10), which is not being offered by Evernote. I back up all my notes weekly, but I am particularly concerned about encrypted text, which presumably I won't be able to access in any other format. How do I even find all the notes that have that?? And has anyone found another platform in which the notebooks carry over? 

Worse is certainly subject to opinion. It's certainly different. While I understand many are frustrated this has been a long time coming. Legacy was never going to be around forever, things evolve and change over time in every area-- not just software.

You should be aware that you will not lose access to any information by not paying. If you have more than 50 notes and 1 notebook none of your notes or notebooks are removed and they can still be modified as you wish. New ones cannot be created (you still can use the web clipper as a means to create new notes however, this is approved by Evernote).

They no longer offer an unlimited free service, if you didn't pay for something you aren't entitled to it and it can be taken away at any time. That is within their legal right. If you want to continue to use Evernote beyond that limit you must subscribe. Moreover there are 3rd party tools that enable backup of notes. I use this tool on Github to backup my notes: https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup. I run it using a batch file that I wrote along with Task Scheduler in Windows. Every morning at 6 AM a new batch of enex files get generated on my server. It's certainly possible to retain a backup of your data. My scripts are posted here: 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

You should be aware that you will not lose access to any information by not paying.

That isn't how it looks to me:

image.thumb.png.9d9cb78cd674f8d4741e495c82120c84.png

This seems like a pretty explicit message that I will NOT be able to access my notes through the app after the deadline unless I update. And if I did update, but not to the paid version, what would happen to my access to the thousands of notes and 90+ notebooks outside the limit of the free version?

I am not asking that question of YOU. You don't appear to be an employee of Evernote (so maybe you should be more careful about making authoritative statements). My point is, Evernote hasn't provided the most basic information about how to safely transition our data  if we don't choose to "upgrade," which I'm willing to bet a high percentage of legacy users won't, or they'd have done so a long time ago. Which is consistent with EN's shift to a format that doesn't permit backing up one's own data.

And BTW, we only have EN's word for it that legacy users comprise less than 1% of users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, ElizabethB said:

That isn't how it looks to me:

image.thumb.png.9d9cb78cd674f8d4741e495c82120c84.png

This seems like a pretty explicit message that I will NOT be able to access my notes through the app after the deadline unless I update. And if I did update, but not to the paid version, what would happen to my access to the thousands of notes and 90+ notebooks outside the limit of the free version?

I am not asking that question of YOU. You don't appear to be an employee of Evernote (so maybe you should be more careful about making authoritative statements). My point is, Evernote hasn't provided the most basic information about how to safely transition our data  if we don't choose to "upgrade," which I'm willing to bet a high percentage of legacy users won't, or they'd have done so a long time ago. Which is consistent with their shift to a format that doesn't permit backing up one's own data.

And BTW, we only have EN's word for it that legacy users comprise less than 1% of users.

You know I was trying to help you. Now I'm not.

YOU don't have to be aggressive to a stranger that's simply trying to help. This forum is user to user. If you expect an Evernote employee to reply to you on here than YOU will be SORELY disappointed.

If YOU were paying attention YOU'D have realized that YOU can update to the latest version of Evernote, continue to use the free(loader) version and still access your notes.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Try entering

encryption:

into the search. It works on v10 anyway - I don't have legacy anymore to test with.

I think one problem with the Legacy all-in-one export to ENEX is that it doesn't contain notebook information. So if you want to keep notes separated into notebooks, you need to export them one notebook at a time anyway. Notion can import from Evernote directly through Evernote's API (https://www.notion.so/help/import-data-into-notion) and so perhaps it preserves the notebook information. However, I think most other app/platforms import Evernote data from the ENEX file.

That works! Thanks a million, Boot17 ♥♥♥. Being able to be sure I've identified, harvested and deleted all the encrypted fields is a load off my mind (and it's not as many as I feared). Yes, the alternative I have decided to try (UpNote) does require each notebook to have its own enex file to be recreated as a notebook, though on the plus side, if you name the file with the notebook's name, it automatically gets created with that name in the import process. But 93 files! Not looking forward to that.

• Like 1
Just now, ElizabethB said:

That works! Thanks a million, Boot17 ♥♥♥. Being able to be sure I've identified, harvested and deleted all the encrypted fields is a load off my mind (and it's not as many as I feared). Yes, the alternative I have decided to try (UpNote) does require each notebook to have its own enex file to be recreated as a notebook, though on the plus side, if you name the file with the notebook's name, it automatically gets created with that name in the import process. But 93 files! Not looking forward to that.

If you actually read my post instead of being rude. You would have saw that I provided you with detailed instructions to bulk export your notebooks

15 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

if you name the file with the notebook's name, it automatically gets created with that name in the import process. But 93 files! Not looking forward to that

You might find evernote-backup useful:  https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup/blob/master/README.md  if your files are in cloud.

(It does not export the new Evernote Task Type in V10 but it does a good job otherwise).

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Nobody is forced to use v10.

If these legacy users were so clever to stick with an abandoned software for so long, they are clever enough to find their next app and move their content there.

4 weeks, guys. No time to waste time here in the forum. You procrastinated for more than 3 years now - it’s action time, wake up !

Everyone is forced to use v10. Procrastination is not what happened here - most of the people stuck to v6 for completely different reasons, already mentioned above.

Let's be clear - legacy clients were marketed as the most advanced note-taking apps back in 2018(?). Many of us were paying for a subscription. The monthly cost of the subscription was around 70$, which is more than the cost of the most one-time-paid apps (examples: WinCatalog, Acronis Backup, etc with a price around 50$). Pay once use the version you paid forever. Personally, I don't care about syncing as much as subscription-based services explain their costs by saying "we should pay our cloud bills". We were being told that with Evernote we could keep our notes forever. But see what is happening now - we invested in the app, and we can't use for what we paid? Security? Bulls**t. I could run evernote in a VM without access to internet. The new app is too slow and unresponsive for me. And I want to have access to notes created in the legacy app without migration to any other app. Someone decided that he can make more money on the new version. It's "your" choice, but let me keep for what I paid. The legacy evernote app is just a piece of a software which can be easily made "offline-only" if you don't want to support it anymore. But blocking users from using it even when they understand the risks - it's fishy, isn't it?

I only wish someone will create an open-source alternative for syncing notes between legacy apps at some point. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

Každý je nútený používať v10. Otáľanie tu nie je to, čo sa tu stalo - väčšina ľudí sa prilepila na v6 z úplne iných dôvodov, ktoré už boli uvedené vyššie.

Jasne - starí klienti boli v roku 2018 uvedení na trh ako najpokročilejšie aplikácie na zaznamenávanie poznámok (?). Mnohí z nás platili za predplatné. Mesačné náklady na predplatné sa pohybovali okolo 70 $, čo je viac ako náklady na jednorazovo platené aplikácie (príklady: WinCatalog, Acronis Backup, atď. s cenou okolo 50 $). Zaplaťte raz pomocou verzie, ktorú ste zaplatili navždy. Osobne ma nezaujíma synchronizácia, rovnako ako služby založené na predplatnom vysvetľujú svoje náklady vyslovením „mali by sme platiť naše účty za cloud“". Bolo nám povedané, že s Evernote sme si mohli navždy ponechať poznámky. Ale pozrite sa, čo sa teraz deje - investovali sme do aplikácie a nemôžeme použiť to, čo sme zaplatili? Bezpečnosť? Býci ** t. Mohol by som spustiť evernote vo VM bez prístupu na internet. Nová aplikácia je pre mňa príliš pomalá a nereaguje.A chcem mať prístup k poznámkam vytvoreným v pôvodnej aplikácii bez prechodu na inú aplikáciu. Niekto sa rozhodol, že na novú verziu môže zarobiť viac peňazí. Je to „vaša“ voľba, ale dovoľte mi ponechať si to, čo som zaplatil. Staršia aplikácia evernote je iba časťou softvéru, ktorý sa dá ľahko vyrobiť „iba offline“, ak ju už nechcete podporovať. Ale blokovanie používateľov v jeho používaní, aj keď rozumejú rizikám - je to rybie, však?Ale blokovanie používateľov v jeho používaní, aj keď rozumejú rizikám - je to rybie, však?Ale blokovanie používateľov v jeho používaní, aj keď rozumejú rizikám - je to rybie, však?

Želám si iba, aby niekto vytvoril alternatívu s otvoreným zdrojom na synchronizáciu poznámok medzi starými aplikáciami v určitom okamihu. 

Getting angry, complaining, criticizing the new owner of Evernote and similar comments won't help any of you anyway. I understand everybody... until last summer, I also stuck with Legacy. But when I saw that the future didn't lead then, I'm in v.10...and it's working well for me. No competition works so well for me and I've tried a hell of a lot of it (at least 30 more or less well known systems)

Relying on the fact that someone independent decides to develop a system to synchronize old clients and release it for others is unrealistic in my opinion. There is a quantum of quality competition on the market that may suit you. 

Even here on the forums you can run through several posts.

But most of the services are paid anyway. You will find at least 5-10 services that can serve you well and more are being created... I suppose you don't expect that there will be someone who will take over windows XP and will continue its maintenance independently..

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

But blocking users from using it even when they understand the risks - it's fishy, isn't it?

No, because security vulnerabilities affects all users, not only legacy users. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, ferol said:

Getting angry, complaining, criticizing the new owner of Evernote and similar comments won't help any of you anyway. I understand everybody... until last summer, I also stuck with Legacy. But when I saw that the future didn't lead then, I'm in v.10...and it's working well for me. No competition works so well for me and I've tried a hell of a lot of it (at least 30 more or less well known systems)

Relying on the fact that someone independent decides to develop a system to synchronize old clients and release it for others is unrealistic in my opinion. There is a quantum of quality competition on the market that may suit you. 

Even here on the forums you can run through several posts.

But most of the services are paid anyway. You will find at least 5-10 services that can serve you well and more are being created... I suppose you don't expect that there will be someone who will take over windows XP and will continue its maintenance independently..

I wasn't criticizing anyone in particular, I criticized a specific decision which is the title of this topic "Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23".

You are trying to protect this decision or at least tell that there is no way around. Well, there are always ways around. Windows XP could be supported by a third party if Microsoft would have open source Windows XP code under a valid open-source license (which is unlikely). The same applies here.

I could even write this server myself if I was having enough resources and time. Though, I wont do it because the app is protected by copyright laws.

24 minutes ago, ChristianJB said:

No, because security vulnerabilities affects all users, not only legacy users. 

Util the app is made offline or the server is released as a standalone service - it won't affect anyone. Also, the evernote team could even create a docker container which everyone could self-host. In such a case it won't affect anyone as well. Everything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN is a cloud service. They don’t need to make their software „available“ for anybody, just because there are some legacy forever diehards.

They offer a service based on a subscription, it updated to a new version more than 3 years ago. Now they took the business decision to stop offering the service based on the old, deprecated software (for reasons explained in their blog).

That‘s it, move ahead or leave.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN is a cloud service.

It's half-true. One of the most advantages of evernote native clients back then was an offline full-text search.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

They offer a service based on a subscription, it updated to a new version more than 3 years ago. Now they took the business decision to stop offering the service based on the old, deprecated software (for reasons explained in their blog).

What they offer now, is completely different story. And how they deprecated the legacy client - it's another question. It's disrespectful to some users.

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

That‘s it, move ahead or leave.

This is dualism. When much more options available, limiting existing options with no reasons.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

Nikoho som nekritizoval, kritizoval som konkrétne rozhodnutie, ktoré je názvom tejto témy „Evernote dedičstvo končiace 2024-03-23“".

Snažíte sa chrániť toto rozhodnutie alebo aspoň povedať, že neexistuje spôsob, ako to obísť. Vždy existujú spôsoby, ako obísť. Systém Windows XP by mohla byť podporovaná treťou stranou, ak by spoločnosť Microsoft mala otvorený zdrojový kód systému Windows XP pod platnou licenciou s otvoreným zdrojom (, ktorá je nepravdepodobná ). To isté platí aj tu.

Tento server by som mohol napísať sám, keby som mal dostatok zdrojov a času. Aj keď to neurobím, pretože aplikácia je chránená autorskými zákonmi.

Až do vytvorenia aplikácie offline alebo do vydania servera ako samostatnej služby - nebude to mať vplyv na nikoho. Tím evernote by tiež mohol vytvoriť dokovací kontajner, ktorý by si každý mohol hostiť. V takom prípade to nebude mať vplyv ani na nikoho. Všetko je možné.

I'm not trying to protect the decision. Legacy worked out great for me. I'm just trying to look at things realistically and without emotion, and the situation is what it is now... And we need to move on from that somehow.

I have given some ideas above on how to do this, but these will be only individual practices by individuals at their own risk.

I'm just saying that expecting someone to support Legacy in any way further, for example as an independent contractor from Blending Spoon, is a waste of time.

I would also be very surprised if Blending Spoon would leave Legacy free to use offline. From a commercial point of view, it doesn't give any advantage to them either for me. It's a commercial company.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes, I think that a lot of the resistance to v. 10 has to do with habits or muscle memory that won't transfer from Legacy. But after all, it took awhile to build up those habits in earlier versions of Evernote, and new habits do sink in before long in v. 10 in my experience.

@Dave-in-Decatur,

this is not true for me. I am really trying to like V10. But it is so bug ridden (se my other posts) that I cannot. That it replaces simple clicks of legacy with 10 or so clicks and messing around is inconvenient, is not lethal. The numerous bugs are. Some of the are there since the first launch of V10.

I cannot build habits to just ignore the bugs, because I cannot work with them. And there is zero feedback from support if I report a bug. Did they understand what I am saying? Do they care? Or do they ignore it because "it is just a few % of users who complain"  @Federico Simionato?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

And there is zero feedback from support if I report a bug.

How are you reporting the bugs?  Normal feedback doesn't get responses:  you need to contact Support to have an interaction - eventually...  I mentioned elsewhere that a query I raised about 10 days before got a response recently,  so things do seem to be improving...

...And for whoever asked somewhere above - I used to manage an ISP tech support team,  and of course long delays and mistakes are not acceptable:  but techs are -mostly- human too and can't work miracles.  If they suddenly get dumped on by thousands of hysterical users,  they fall behind.  They'll work their way out of it,  but while most of the complainers here seem to expect perfection all the time (I'd bet they don't actually deliver it) reality says that even throwing money at the problem won't work.  You need to recruit and train people and manage the extra admin that thoughtful users with low-priority issues create with their multiple reminders.  It takes time,  and it's pointless adding "are we there yet?" queries and complaints during the process.  I was in support during the "2000 bug" so I knows of what I talk...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

By the way - Legacy Desktop (from memory) has optional settings for syncs - ranging from 5 minutes up to hours.  Not sure if there was a 'never' option or what happens if there's a connection failure...  but again I'd strongly recommend either using v10 or choosing another service.  Continuing with Legacy is very risky and there's no safety net.

5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

By the way - Legacy Desktop (from memory) has optional settings for syncs - ranging from 5 minutes up to hours.  Not sure if there was a 'never' option or what happens if there's a connection failure...  but again I'd strongly recommend either using v10 or choosing another service.  Continuing with Legacy is very risky and there's no safety net.

Thanks, I understand that. But due to the bugs I mention elsewehere -- and for some there is no workaround -- I have to use legacy as long as it is operational.

But in parallel, I do use V10 (that's how I know its shortcomings and bugs). It is using the same data, though. I probably live dangerously.

But what do I do, if V10 just doesn't work for some (very simple) things?

23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If they suddenly get dumped on by thousands of hysterical users,  they fall behind.

Yep - but a first reason for falling behind is firing core support and dev teams. Struggling against newly upcoming (upset, hysterical, ...) customers might be handled by robots. But request coming from well known, paying for a long time and cooperative users should be handled with some priority. 😤

Why don't they work on queued tickets before fireing new "improvements" like closing Legacy?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

Why don't they work on queued tickets before fireing new "improvements" like closing Legacy?

Because that frees up some of their engineers - who are maintaining dual access - to concentrate on other things?  I don't know.  But techs aren't usually consulted about higher management decisions and sometimes those managers are d.u.m.b!

Response to @gazumped

Oh yes,

just from today's struggle:

1. HTML Export is broken, the attachments are not clickable in the HMTL file
  2. printing is broken: printing or exporting as PDF labels all attached file in the note as "unnamed file" (they do have filenames, of course)
  3. same is true for HTML exports (see my other post)
  4. a saved search cannot be edited (only the title) 
  5. Keywords are not copy-able from a note
  6. PDF-s and other file type have their copy option grayed out in the context menu
  7. if I start to type a keyword and the list is narrowed down to one, I can just press return and it is selected. If I start to type a notebook name and the list is narrowed down to one, I can NOT just press return and need to navigate to it to select
  8. there is no way to specify that I want all attachments shown as title (e.g. PDF-s) anymore. To fix that, I need to go through all of them in the note 1-by-1 to collapse

Now, of these 1-4 are real, proper bugs that force me to use legacy.

I am trying to wort with V10. But I have 16K notes, have workflows and V10 just doesn't let me work properly. It is not the bells and whistles, I would probably tolerate that V10 is cutting down on my productivity substantially, as it is so hard to migrate. But bugs that have been around from the outset (and will probably never be fixed, as I seem to belong to a few % that @Federico Simionato declared as "not worth doing it") that I cannot circumvent make it very hard to "like" V10. I am still trying, though.

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, gazumped said:
35 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

But what do I do, if V10 just doesn't work for some (very simple) things?

Can you give us some examples from your experience?

• Sort by Reminder Dates in normal note lists  - NOT in Reminder tab that...
    • somtimes causes EN to hang up if it is active and you click on a Favorite
    • often is not available at all
  • Display and sort Reminder Done Times in normal note lists
  • Display normal note lists all the time
    • If you click on a Favorite note, the list goes away (note occupies complete main window except left pane)
    • If you navigate to a note from outside EN, the list goes away (...)
  • updated:day-1 is not reliable:
    • Doesn't show notes updated today
    • But shows notes from many years in the past
  • left pane doesn't support colored tags and notebooks
  • Favorites cannot be placed as a separate line above left and right pane
  • Text, attachments and images cannot be placed in one line together
  • Attachments do no more show their created and updated time
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:
20 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Because that frees up some of their engineers - who are maintaining dual access - to concentrate on other things? 

No supporter has to maintain Legacy issues. Closing down Legacy does not free any support staff.
Next weeks there will be no chance to concentrate on other things.

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

But techs aren't usually consulted about higher management decisions and sometimes those managers are d.u.m.b!

Huh - hard words. But true. 👍

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Can you give us some examples from your experience?

I know the question was not addressed at me, but to the list above, I'd like to add
- Not being able to select more than 100 notes at a time in v10
- When trying to rename a notebook, v10 gives you a blank field, while legacy gives you the previous name of the notebook in an editable form - so practical when you just want to tweak the name, like add a number at the end of the existing name, or if you want to copy the name
- This has been mentioned by other users, but the html export not keeping the link between the file and the associated folder - massive pain in the back!

Why oh why couldn't they keep the functionality of the original Evernote and build upon it, instead of building what feels like a fairly different app?!?!

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Display normal note lists all the time

• If you click on a Favorite note, the list goes away (note occupies complete main window except left pane)
  • If you navigate to a note from outside EN, the list goes away (...)

This is very bad... I wrote it here earlier as well

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, gazumped said:

<syncing options in Legacy> Not sure if there was a 'never' option

Fortunately I have such a dino captured 😉 There is no explicit 'never' option - but you are able to simply uncheck all modes:

image.png.745fe291a5f7564f051bfbf81c61826c.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

No supporter has to maintain Legacy issues. Closing down Legacy does not free any support staff.
Next weeks there will be no chance to concentrate on other things.

No,  but my joined-up thinking suggests that more engineers will be free to fix those HTML/ PDF/ Print issues that everyone seems to be annoyed with,  so fewer support tickets will be received and existing ones can be cleared by software updates...  the existing staff can then get back to a more timely response. 

Another problem that company Support teams have is that once they're overwhelmed,  it takes a long time to recruit and train new staff to deal with the backlog - and you won't need those extra heads once the backlog is cleared and when all the fuss about Legacy and price increases has (hopefully) died down,  you may not even need as many staff as you currently have. 

You can hope that natural wastage and internal job changes will deal with some - but no company wants to be overstaffed 'in case' something bad happens...

I have been using v10 since its launch in 2020. On the desktop and on the web it has always been satisfactory for me. I have two accounts with around 5,000 notes each and in terms of speed I have nothing to complain about. The versions are functional and I have no problems with them. The Android version was really very bad at the time of launch: slow, not very fluid and with major synchronization problems. Over the past year or so, the Android version has improved a lot and is now very good.

I still have the legacy version installed on another computer I have and compared to v10 I mainly miss two things:
1 - Possibility to add colors to notebooks and labels.
2 - You can classify the notes in the notes list by all criteria including size, notebook and label. In v10 it is only possible to sort by title, creation and update date.

These are small things that are missed but do not significantly affect my work. I still hope Evernote includes these features in v10.

Regarding the decision to deactivate legacy apps, it makes sense taking into account all the changes that Bending has been making in recent times. It was not difficult to imagine that this would happen. It was just a matter of time. Now there is no other escape. Those who don't want to use v10 will have to leave and find another app.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

Over the past year or so, the Android version has improved a lot and is now very good.

Even towards the end of 2023 the Android app was really bad. It's finally started to get better within the last few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I don’t know. I’ve been lurking here the last couple of years since I left. EN soon after the V10 introduction. Old habits. Handwriting was on the wall for my use case. Anyway, not wanting to be too critical, but EN never had good support.  If I believe these forums, BS isn’t doing much better.  Maybe 99% of their users don’t complain.  Forums do tend to be repositories for complaints as opposed to compliments. Customer rolls tend to be more indicative of satisfaction.

Still, hard for me to give quarter to a company that hasn’t at least shown signs of righting the customer support ship in a bit over a year. It’s a business run it. It’s hard but it isn’t complicated.  Maybe fire the competent members of the old staff after some stabilization?  One of the first jobs of management is to simplify.  Kool aid be too sweet perhaps?  None of us tend be as good as we think we are.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

I still have the legacy version installed on another computer I have and compared to v10 I mainly miss two things:
1 - Possibility to add colors to notebooks and labels.
2 - You can classify the notes in the notes list by all criteria including size, notebook and label. In v10 it is only possible to sort by title, creation and update date.

1. (Also for @AlbertR, though he already knows): This was only ever possible in the Windows desktop app, and it didn't sync even to other Windows desktop installations, so it was of limited use. Could it be reinvented in v. 10, and display on all platforms? Maybe, but should it be a top priority?
  2. Clearly a problem (as others have noted).

So maybe (as I think @gazumped has suggested) with the demise of v. 6 and the resources needed to sustain it, development can be focused toward some of these desired features. @Federico Simionato has indicated some of the recent accomplishments, and some of what is to come in this post; since it includes the long-desired collapsible lists, maybe there is hope for others:

• Like 1

Let's summarize what's happened to our trustworthy, tell-all-your-friends, format-your-life-around, good-old Evernote, shall we:

• Dramatically increased price
  • Significantly decreased customer service
  • Inconsistent, unreliable, missing functionality
  • "only 1% still using Legacy".... ABSOLUTE BS.  You don't have to be a Pink Elephant to see how many people are on here complaining about the demise of it. People are sick of being lied to with a statement like that. It's like the "install this update, it's so much better" BS that we've all been tricked into before and having our lives disrupted only to find out that we're actually being used as beta-testers of incomplete software.
  • Security Issues: Same as the 1% comment. I see so many posts about that, it must be a huge problem!

This company deserves exactly what it's going to get when the everyone who can't/won't make the transition to v10 is finally forced to leave.

Here's another post that's on fire about this (and I'm sure there's plenty of others).

• Like 2
On 2/23/2024 at 9:05 PM, PinkElephant said:

If these legacy users were so clever to stick with an abandoned software for so long

You are implying V10 was suited for use in a productive environment when it came out, not an early beta until only recently ...

On 2/23/2024 at 7:37 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I think that a lot of the resistance to v. 10 has to do with habits or muscle memory that won't transfer from Legacy

Absolutely not, it is about having a trusted platform for all of one's notes and information, some of them are really valuable or hard to regenerate. Legacy absolutely was a trusted platform, V10 is absolutely not (yet?).

• Like 2
  • Level 5
29 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Absolutely not, it is about having a trusted platform for all of one's notes and information, some of them are really valuable or hard to regenerate. Legacy absolutely was a trusted platform, V10 is absolutely not (yet?).

... "for me," I believe you meant to add.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Zhrňme si, čo sa stalo s našimi dôveryhodnými, povedzte všetkým svojim priateľom, naformátujte svoj život, starým dobrým Evernote, mali by sme:

• Dramaticky zvýšená cena
  • Výrazne znížený zákaznícky servis
  • Nekonzistentné, nespoľahlivé, chýbajúca funkčnosť
  • „len 1 % stále používa Legacy“.... ABSOLUTE BS . Nemusíte byť ružový slon, aby ste videli, koľko ľudí sa tu sťažuje na jeho zánik. Ľudia sú chorí z toho, že im klamú s takýmto vyhlásením. Je to ako BS typu „nainštalujte si túto aktualizáciu, je to oveľa lepšie“, do ktorej sme už boli všetci oklamaní a narušili naše životy, len aby sme zistili, že sme skutočne využívaní ako beta-testeri neúplného softvéru.
  • Bezpečnostné problémy: Rovnaké ako v komentári 1 %. Vidím o tom toľko príspevkov, musí to byť obrovský problém!

Táto spoločnosť si zaslúži presne to, čo dostane, keď všetci, ktorí nemôžu/neprejdú na v10, budú konečne nútení odísť.

Tu je ďalší príspevok, ktorý o tom horí (a som si istý, že existuje veľa ďalších).

we probably don't have a chance to find out if it's one percent. But if 200 million people use Evernote, then one percent is 2 000 000.

It doesn't seem to me that there are that many of them withdrawing from that number here. Nothing wrong with that, but none of us really have any way of knowing that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
56 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Let's summarize what's happened to our trustworthy, tell-all-your-friends, format-your-life-around, good-old Evernote, shall we:

• Dramatically increased price
  • Significantly decreased customer service
  • Inconsistent, unreliable, missing functionality
  • "only 1% still using Legacy".... ABSOLUTE BS.  You don't have to be a Pink Elephant to see how many people are on here complaining about the demise of it. People are sick of being lied to with a statement like that. It's like the "install this update, it's so much better" BS that we've all been tricked into before and having our lives disrupted only to find out that we're actually being used as beta-testers of incomplete software.
  • Security Issues: Same as the 1% comment. I see so many posts about that, it must be a huge problem!

This company deserves exactly what it's going to get when the everyone who can't/won't make the transition to v10 is finally forced to leave.

Here's another post that's on fire about this (and I'm sure there's plenty of others).

Since you think they're lying, why don't you DM Federico (you can find a few posts from him around the forums) and tell him to his face that you think he's a liar?

But exactly how many people ARE on here complaining about the demise of Legacy? 50? Maybe not that many. Or say it's as many as 100. (Count them and list them if you want to--prove me wrong.) So if Evernote has, say, 500 users total, that's a lot. If they have a million or so, even 1% is a long way off. Loud voices are not the same as innumerable voices.

Know what else people are sick of? Troll rants with fantasy accusations about the honesty of Evernote and its owners. That's if you'll allow that I'm "people." Could be I'm lying about it.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Since you think they're lying, why don't you DM Federico (you can find a few posts from him around the forums) and tell him to his face that you think he's a liar?

But exactly how many people ARE on here complaining about the demise of Legacy? 50? Maybe not that many. Or say it's as many as 100. (Count them and list them if you want to--prove me wrong.) So if Evernote has, say, 500 users total, that's a lot. If they have a million or so, even 1% is a long way off. Loud voices are not the same as innumerable voices.

Know what else people are sick of? Troll rants with fantasy accusations about the honesty of Evernote and its owners. That's if you'll allow that I'm "people." Could be I'm lying about it.

I honestly think all of the angry people on here many of whom are rude to regular posters who are just trying to help them are the reason we don't see Federico post on here as much. If I were him I wouldn't want to subject myself to abuse like that.

I tried to help someone yesterday and I got attacked by them for no reason. It can really piss a person off when people are so unreasonable and then attack you when you are trying to help them. I don't blame Federico for not coming around as much anymore. I'm starting to get sick and tired of these forums. Too many angry people and for what, a notetaking app?

• Like 7