Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

52 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

"for me," I believe you meant to add.

absolutely...

47 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But exactly how many people ARE on here complaining about the demise of Legacy? 50? Maybe not that many.

... having followed the forum for some time now, there's but a handful of people negating issues and some even ridiculing users who complain about - in my view - essential shortcomings of V10, and talk loud voices there... 

In the end the forum is a bubble and we don't know what the silent majority of users think, but we'll see how Evernote market share develops in the future compared to other apps. 

• Like 2

Based on Bending Spoons' other apps, I would say Evernote is poised to become the top of its class with a premium price to match. It's just going to take time to get there. We are already starting to see some nice new features being added hopefully soon:

• Slash commands
  • Notifications
  • Outlook Calendar Integration
  • Collapsable Sections

These are long requested QoL features and they are in active development. With legacy out of the way, we'll start to see more of this because they won't have to worry about backwards compatibility as well as the manpower needed to keep legacy running. With those developers freed up, hopefully they can start to squash some long-standing bugs and improve performance even more.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Better stay here. If you want to meet the lunatics, just go to Reddit 🤡

Reddit is worse, but I'm hesitant to even post here sometimes. I'm sick of getting into arguments with people over obvious stuff.

I tried to help someone yesterday who was pretty upset about legacy. I shared some scripts I wrote for evernote-backup and they responded: "I wasn't asking YOU" like they wanted a reply from Evernote staff.... that kind of stuff over and over again starts to make me not want to be a part of the community and just use Evernote happily in peace and not even attempt to help others anymore.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Reddit je na tom horšie, ale niekedy váham, či sem vôbec niečo uverejniť. Už ma nebaví hádzať sa s ľuďmi kvôli očividným veciam.

Včera som sa snažil pomôcť niekomu, kto bol dosť naštvaný na dedičstvo. Zdieľal som niekoľko skriptov, ktoré som napísal pre zálohovanie evernote, a oni odpovedali: „Nepýtal som sa TEBA“, akoby chceli odpoveď od zamestnancov Evernote.... tento druh vecí ma znova a znova začína spôsobovať, že nechcem byť súčasťou komunity a jednoducho používajte Evernote šťastne v pokoji a už sa ani nepokúšajte pomáhať iným.

maybe this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EvernotePositive/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Just now, PinkElephant said:

Having an ... elephant's image does help, somehow.

I've seen people personally attack you more than anyone! You are just on here literally giving advice and trying to help and guys just claim you work for Evernote.... it's enough. The community around this app, both here and on Reddit is super toxic.

No one is forcing people to use Evernote. No one is being strapped down to their PC and forced to use AI powered search while swiping their credit card. If you aren't happy with the service, then leave. If you want help using it and want to have constructive discussion, stay. It's that simple.

Unfortunately we have an influx of very angry people posting on here with severe entitlement problems who think they should be handed everything for free and that the app should work the way they and only they want.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Maybe 200 million people downloaded EN.  If everyone who uses EN signed up it would be a $20B or currency of your choice plus company.  Who knows the detritus left from 200 million window shoppers.  As good a reason for purging non paying customers as any I suppose.  I don't think I've ever heard an active user number.... 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

Maybe 200 million people downloaded EN.  If everyone who uses EN signed up it would be a $20B or currency of your choice plus company.  Who knows the detritus left from 200 million window shoppers.  As good a reason for purging non paying customers as any I suppose.  I don't think I've ever heard an active user number.... 

We probably won't for a while. They just did another major fundraising round and are still a private company. They don't have to disclose anything to the public and probably won't.

I think they are happy to get rid of people who never paid and never will. They've handled it the best they could, some other companies may have made users export their data by a certain date or it will be deleted and they aren't doing anything of the sort. They had to do this to reach profitability, the free plan was simply too generous. However they handled it in a fair way and just logging into my free account I got offers for 40% off and 60% off which is a nice way to ease the cost burden for those who are on the fence about the value proposition. 

It's clear to me that Bending Spoons isn't trying to milk us for every last dime they can, they are actively making improvements and seem to want to deliver a world class product. They've stabilized Evernote in under a year which the previous team wasn't able to do since the release of v10 in 2020.

• Like 4

They have also simplified things by having those 14 features available to all and soon to be rid of legacy.   It looks like they plan to build on top of a stable base -- I hope they spend some time achieving consistency/bug fixing and then carefully add features that don't break things that have been working.

• Like 2

My legacy Windows desktop client just stopped syncing, though Android is still working. I logged out and back in (to EN and to Windows), and the angry red banner with the update-or-else message - and the 3/20/24 EOL date - is gone, but still no sync. Good thing I screenshotted the banner for this thread, or I'd have no record of that date. And the banner is the only notification I received, BTW. I did not get the email other people have posted about. Yes, my account email address is current. And now, less than 48 hours after the banner, and more than 3 weeks before the EOL date, no syncing. It just happened in the last few hours, throwing a huge wrench in my life before I had time to make other plans. WTH?! This is utterly, unbelievably unacceptable! 😠😠😠

• Like 2
On 2/23/2024 at 6:57 PM, Dave Green said:

You might find evernote-backup useful:  https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup/blob/master/README.md  if your files are in cloud.

(It does not export the new Evernote Task Type in V10 but it does a good job otherwise).

I appreciate the suggestion, but since it looks like I'd have to learn how to use unfamiliar DB software to use it, it's a toss up whether ti would take more time to do that, or export each note book to its own file manually.

Meanwhile, EN has apparently decided to punish me for posting my unhappiness on this thread, and has disabled my ability to sync my desktop installation. I really don't have the time or money to transition to another program right this minute, was planning to do it NEXT weekend, so I am very, very upset about this, as it massively screws up my daily workflows, which is very stressful.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I appreciate the suggestion, but since it looks like I'd have to learn how to use unfamiliar DB software to use it, it's a toss up whether ti would take more time to do that, or export each note book to its own file manually.

Meanwhile, EN has apparently decided to punish me for posting my unhappiness on this thread, and has disabled my ability to sync my desktop installation. I really don't have the time or money to transition to another program right this minute, was planning to do it NEXT weekend, so I am very, very upset about this, as it massively screws up my daily workflows, which is very stressful.

This sounds paranoid. Nobody here is going to shut people down... logically, they'll be even more angry. 😏

Are you up to date on the latest Legacy installation? This was often the last problem, and all you had to do was install the most recent one and the synchronization was restored.

on windows is:

Evernote_6.25.3.9348.

You can download it here: 

Evernote Legacy:
http://gofile.me/4BEJy/8nC4fS68o

And the web version certainly works...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

My legacy Windows desktop client just stopped syncing, though Android is still working. I logged out and back in (to EN and to Windows), and the angry red banner with the update-or-else message - and the 3/20/24 EOL date - is gone, but still no sync. Good thing I screenshotted the banner for this thread, or I'd have no record of that date. And the banner is the only notification I received, BTW. I did not get the email other people have posted about. Yes, my account email address is current. And now, less than 48 hours after the banner, and more than 3 weeks before the EOL date, no syncing. It just happened in the last few hours, throwing a huge wrench in my life before I had time to make other plans. WTH?! This is utterly, unbelievably unacceptable! 😠😠😠

It stopped syncing for me too in the last few hours. I never got the banner!!!  (I have been using Obsidian for 2 years now - so I don't run EN that often anymore.) I at least got the email on 2/23/24.  NONETHELESS - WHAT IS THIS???  THEY SEND AN EMAIL SAYING WE HAVE 30 DAYS - THEN THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND AND DECIDE TO CUT US OFF THE NEXT DAY???? 

I did export everything a few months ago.  I still have 3,000 notes in Evernote, that I do NOT want to lose.  BUT Evernote's klugey Tag Hierarchy IS NOT EXPORTED in a way, I can import it completely to Obsidian!!&^!   I found a tool called:  ExportNote that would export EVERYTHING including the complete Tag Hierarchy, but did not get a chance to run it AND PLANNED to run it, before March 23rd.  I've since heard BendingSpoons shutdown that interface recently, as well!!!???   

Bending Spoons communication has been HORRIBLE!!  Big Vendors NORMALLY give you one to two years notice concerning a hard shutdown date - at least 6 months notice.  Somebody must be hurting - wonder if BS is going bankrupt or something??

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Which version are you running ?

All versions below 6.25.3 have already stopped syncing. Only the version with the grey app icon will function until 23-Mar.

Beside this your post is meant to lay blame on others, but is only ridiculous. You insist that outdated software must be kept running for 24 months. Well, generous as they are EN gave you 42 months since all legacy clients were deprecated.

No harm could happen (beside maybe showing you the world is not spinning around you) - just update to v10, it will run all your notes stored on the server. It would even export everything …

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Sledr said:

It stopped syncing for me too in the last few hours. I never got the banner!!!  (I have been using Obsidian for 2 years now - so I don't run EN that often anymore.) I at least got the email on 2/23/24.  NONETHELESS - WHAT IS THIS???  THEY SEND AN EMAIL SAYING WE HAVE 30 DAYS - THEN THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND AND DECIDE TO CUT US OFF THE NEXT DAY???? 

I did export everything a few months ago.  I still have 3,000 notes in Evernote, that I do NOT want to lose.  BUT Evernote's klugey Tag Hierarchy IS NOT EXPORTED in a way, I can import it completely to Obsidian!!&^!   I found a tool called:  ExportNote that would export EVERYTHING including the complete Tag Hierarchy, but did not get a chance to run it AND PLANNED to run it, before March 23rd.  I've since heard BendingSpoons shutdown that interface recently, as well!!!???   

Bending Spoons communication has been HORRIBLE!!  Big Vendors NORMALLY give you one to two years notice concerning a hard shutdown date - at least 6 months notice.  Somebody must be hurting - wonder if BS is going bankrupt or something??

Did you read at all what I wrote just before you?

have you last update Legacy?

Lucky you whose accounts are not syncing! I can't even get in anymore.

I've just tried to connect to an Evernote account I pretty much use with legacy only, and guess what? I can't even get in. "Can't connect to the server. Please try again later.". (This is with a separate account from the one I'm using to post here)

And what's even more infuriating is, I know I have some free accounts with local notebooks, but they are on my computer at home (I'm currently on a computer abroad), and I was going to deal with them on my return home in a few days. Guess I've lost them (though I probably exported them somewhere).

It definitely feels like being punished for posting in these forums, unless they cut off access to Legacy for everybody a LOT earlier than announced.

PS I'm using Evernote 6.25.3.9348.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

I've just tried to connect to an Evernote account I pretty much use with legacy only, and guess what? I can't even get in. "Can't connect to the server. Please try again later.". (This is with a separate account from the one I'm using to post here)

And what's even more infuriating is, I know I have some free accounts with local notebooks, but they are on my computer at home (I'm currently on a computer abroad), and I was going to deal with them on my return home in a few days. Guess I've lost them (though I probably exported them somewhere).

It definitely feels like being punished for posting in these forums, unless they cut off access to Legacy for everybody a LOT earlier than announced.

I'll check tomorrow at work if Legacy is running on my base server and let you know

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

Also, Evernote Web count as one device now???? Or has it always been like that and I never noticed?

Evernote Web is a separate device and has been for a year or more.

-And just to be clear;  posting here doesn't get you singled out.  Evernote is updating the server code so all customers on a node are going to have issues.  My Android phone with Legacy stopped syncing several days ago now,  but it was mainly used for taking pictures so I just uninstalled the app and I'll manage with Adobe Scan.

• Like 1

Hi 

The version of my Android phone is 9... and when I update Evernote to the latest version on Google Play.. unfortunately,  I can't sign in to my account .. it has an error

I can sign in to my account only in version 8.13 of Evernote and recently I received an email from evernote that I have to update it to the latest version for the new legacy 

I don't know what can I do.. should I get a new phone with Android version 10 or upper?

Please help me
Thanks

Screenshot_20240225-140501_Evernote.jpg

50 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Evernote Web is a separate device and has been for a year or more.

-And just to be clear;  posting here doesn't get you singled out.  Evernote is updating the server code so all customers on a node are going to have issues.  My Android phone with Legacy stopped syncing several days ago now,  but it was mainly used for taking pictures so I just uninstalled the app and I'll manage with Adobe Scan.

Yes, I would certainly hope they have better things to do than looking through the forums and deactivating accounts. I'll try again tonight and tomorrow...

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

Also, Evernote Web count as one device now???? Or has it always been like that and I never noticed?

It is not „now“.

The web client counts as a „device“ since October 2020.

4 hours ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

I agree completely. First my account stopped syncing to my desktop client (same version you have), and when I worked my way through every other troubleshooting step to no avail, I reluctantly signed out - now I can't sign back in. Which means I have no way to export (can't do that from the Android client, which is still working for the moment). Luckily I made a full backup just hours before this occurred, but if I use that to import to my new provider, I'll have to manually recreate my notebooks for 93 notebooks and hundreds, if not thousands of notes. it's absolutely atrocious to give an end date three weeks in the future and then immediately start cutting people off from the ability to access and export their data. And it does look like retribution for posting here. If the remaining number of Legacy users is truly less than 1%, how petty can you get?! I use multiple notes on daily basis to log work performed for clients, and this is massively ***** up my work life.

Their U.S. office is in San Diego, which means a BBB complaint can be filed with the local office there. Here's the EN address:

Evernote Corporation
4231 Balboa Avenue, #1008
San Diego, CA 92117
United States

And here's their page on the San Diego BBB (where their current rating is F).

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-diego/profile/app-developers/evernote-corporation-1126-1000118350

• Like 3
9 hours ago, ferol said:

This sounds paranoid. Nobody here is going to shut people down... logically, they'll be even more angry. 😏

Are you up to date on the latest Legacy installation? This was often the last problem, and all you had to do was install the most recent one and the synchronization was restored.

on windows is:

Evernote_6.25.3.9348.

You can download it here: 

Evernote Legacy:
http://gofile.me/4BEJy/8nC4fS68o

And the web version certainly works...

When did logic ever dictate EN's policies? I have been locked out from signing in from the legacy version for a good 16 hours now (which has NEVER happened before, and occurred only hours after posting critically here). That's too long to be explained by a server glitch, especially since others who also posted critically here are reporting the same thing.  I am running the latest legacy installation, and have been through every troubleshooting step on their list, including reinstalling it (luckily, I kept the install file), which resulted in my not having access to the desktop client - and therefore to exporting my notes - at all. You can't export notebooks from the web version. They are deliberately blocking my ability to export MY data, despite an EOL date 3+ weeks from now. I'll be filing a BBB complaint. If I suddenly disappear from this thread, you'll know why.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh, conspiration around the corner 👻 LOL drop that tinfoil hat.

It is YOU insisting that a software deprecated & unsupported since 42 months must work flawlessly. No, it must not. Have fun with your complaint.

Install v10, it gives you access to everything, including full notebook export. Available for free, you just need to download and log in. Just take care with your devices count - legacy counts as one device, v10 on the same desktop as a second. But that's your choice again, if that FREE indicator on your account information is not misleading.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Might be they have a little stampede on the outdated part of their servers, who knows. If I were them, I wouldn't invest a nickel in getting this old API anywhere beyond it's current performance.

Get v10.77.3. It works and does everything you may need.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Get v10.77.3. It works and does everything you may need.

It does not have what I need. And it does not have what ver 6 has.   

(sorry, but you can not not say that you know what I need. ;) )

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I said "what you may need".

Beside this the discussion is academic - legacy is unsupported since 42 months now. It is no reliable software since October 2020. The Mac version is already close to be unusable, all by itself. Why should Windows get spared ?

Using v10 is the pragmatic approach. It has its own API to the server. The others are A) to wait a little, and try again B ) to contact support.

As a word of caution: The latest support reaction time was long enough to see legacy disconnect before.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

To try and get your local notes, when you get home turn off your internet connection before you try to access EN.  If the app is closed and you didn't log out you may be able to skip the log in test that way.  Unless EN physically logged you out from the server in the last couple of days.  If that doesn't work contact support, as it's not 3/23 yet....

EDIT:  Airplane mode is the easiest way to disconnect.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Zafirik said:

It does not have what I need. And it does not have what ver 6 has.

This is decision time for all legacy users.  Well, it has been for a while, but many of us have already gone through this.  I decided over a year ago and made my peace with v10 to avoid this last minute frantic effort.  There is a firm date now, so legacy is ending.  You can be upset, angry, whatever, but you will need to make a change.  You can either move to v10, which is not legacy, but likely the closest cousin to it, or find some other app that is better for your workflow.

For those that have recently lost legacy syncing, you are not being targeted due to critical posts.  If that was happening, I would be long gone.  I suspect that the shutting down of older versions is "imperfect."  You can submit a support ticket if you want and hope you get a response in time, but your best and fastest option is to load the latest version of v10.  It will initially take a little time to load, and it will be initially slow.  All legacy notes are converted to a new format when first accessed.  This is the fastest way to get access to your notes and start creating backup files that can be imported into another app if that is your decision, or start getting used to the changes in v10 if you decide to stay.  I'll admit that the decision isn't easy and that change can be hard, but it can no longer be delayed.  Good luck.  

• Like 5
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, Feitz said:

In the end the forum is a bubble and we don't know what the silent majority of users think, but we'll see how Evernote market share develops in the future compared to other apps. 

There I agree completely.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, ben353253 said:

How much do Evernote pay you? You just constantly sound like a shill. Every single post. 

If you're not paid you should be embarrassed; constantly defending a company you have no association with. Are you in the school yard?

It's a note taking app run by a company that's completely lost it. That's what everyone is rightly up in arms about. You just seem to want to stir the pot and wind people up, defending the indefensible. There's seemingly always someone like this in a forum sadly, and here it happens to be you. Get a grip and stay out of it because, like I say, you're just embarrassing at this point. You're helping nobody. 

Honestly, do you think anyone could be paid enough to take this kind of abuse for pointing out (albeit bluntly) what the reality is?

"Everyone" is not up in arms about Legacy going away more than 3 years after a new version was introduced. Here's who are up in arms (and who come in here already wound up, and then say somebody else has wound them):

• People who need something that Legacy offers and v. 10 doesn't (they think--if they haven't checked in a year or so may be wrong); OR
  • are just averse to change; AND
  • who assumed that Evernote would continue to support both apps forever (even after Evernote said they wouldn't); AND
  • who saw that the end of Legacy was coming, but continued to delay in the hope that loud, abusive complaints would get them favorable treatment; AND
  • who, even when that didn't work, still didn't either update to v. 10 or else export their notes and find something else, and now are faced with 3 weeks instead of 3 years to do so.

How many people is that? More than would be rationally expected, evidently--Evernote's fault for making decisions based on reason. But however many it is, it is not, in fact, "everyone." It's only those who find the above procedure defensible.

• Like 4

I find it utterly baffling that we have people actually complaining that unsupported software they have been told for years to stop using….is causing them issues! In other shocking news the world is round! Sometimes I genuinely wonder how we have got to where we are as a species, I sincerely mean that.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

So does everyone who sees V10 as a horribly backward step and our views being constantly shutdown by the likes of you. Your response is extremely patronising. Count me as not surprised. 

Are you serious? You use software you KNOW is out of date and unsupported, yet you are so stunningly entitled your here complaining because YOUR choice to use said software has brought consequences to you! If I thought I was dealing with teenagers, like around 13, I would maybe have some patience but thinking grown adults are behaving in such absurd and entitled ways - nah I’m not pandering to that. 

• Like 2
5 horas atrás, ben353253 disse:

How much do Evernote pay you? You just constantly sound like a shill. Every single post. 

If you're not paid you should be embarrassed; constantly defending a company you have no association with. Are you in the school yard?

It's a note taking app run by a company that's completely lost it. That's what everyone is rightly up in arms about. You just seem to want to stir the pot and wind people up, defending the indefensible. There's seemingly always someone like this in a forum sadly, and here it happens to be you. Get a grip and stay out of it because, like I say, you're just embarrassing at this point. You're helping nobody. 

I admit it's been fun to see the despair and fights here on the forum about the end of the legacy. On one side, defenders of the legacy believe that they were wronged and that the legacy app is one of the best achievements in history. On the other side, v10 advocates thinking that the legacy folks are a bunch of idiots for just not using the latest version. It's funny and curious.

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong. In a month the legacy will end and there will be no way. Evernote has already made the decision and will not go back.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong. In a month the legacy will end and there will be no way. Evernote has already made the decision and will not go back

They bought Evernote and made a bet they could fix it and be profitable. So I understand their decision to drop Legacy even If for me V10 is still too way buggy and clunky to use (they made progress though, half a year ago I found it completely unusable with not even sync working properly.

Users like me with a lot of data have a hard time either coping with what Evernote will probably develop into or look elsewhere. Newer or future users can jump ship much easier if issues persist, so we will see how this develops.

I for my part will not be using V10 much in the future, I already moved my currently relevant stuff out of Evernote and will use V10 only as a storage dump for existing unformatted or less relevant things like website clippings, etc. 

I found a solution that fits my needs and relies more on OS provided services like finder tags, spotlight and iCloud sync, added with a beautifully clean interface and so far everything works as expected.

The Evernote web clipper is second to none (when it works) so I will keep using that in the future, possibly on a free account once my recently renewed subscription ends (for a discounted renewal of 59 € even the web clipper is worth the extra year).

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Users like me with a lot of data have a hard time

I have just short of 68,000 notes (and 400+ notebooks) and am able to use Evernote quite well thankyou.  If you found something else you prefer,  good luck to you for the future.  I'm staying where I am....

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ben353253 said:

I didn't come here to waste my time with people that want to endlessly defend a company who are digging formally great software in the ground. 

And again - with just 6 derogatory posts... why are you here,  and what note-taking software do you use?

• Like 4
19 hours ago, ferol said:

I'll check tomorrow at work if Legacy is running on my base server and let you know

@ElizabethB

So Legacy doesn't sync for me either.

All  conspirators, can stop now...  I'm actually one of the "advocates" of the Blending Spoon... And they shut me down too.

PS:  But don't tell anyone... I guess it's intentional, so it's not too obvious that they're only shutting down critics... So they shut down some of the defenders for good measure. 

• Like 2

But you can actually get into Legacy? I still can't. It's frustrating. I'm going to try reinstalling and see if that changes anything. (Edit: it didn't.]

And them shutting down Legacy *without* notice like that (if that's what happens - I want to give them the benefit of the doubt)..... well, that's just mean. Like some people here, the first thing I knew about it was when I saw the banner... a couple of days ago, I think it was?

Yeah, yeah, I can use v10 (and I do, for my main account) but exporting notes in v10 is agonizingly slow. I exported a notebook with about 250 notes in it from v10. It took 3 hours. When I still had access on Saturday, I tried exporting the same notebook, as an experiment, from Legacy. It took 2 minutes. That's... not an insignificant difference.

And if I had some local notebooks, I've lost them (I have several accounts, some of which I don't use that frequently, hence the not knowing). I'm reasonably sure I had exported them before, but that doesn't change the idea that pulling the plug on a product, just like that, with no notice, is just nasty. (Again, if that's what's happening.) There's a difference between not supporting or developing further an old product, and stopping it without notice.

I don't see people being up in arms about Legacy ending, I see them mourning a beloved tool that works well for them. And it certainly makes a priority to find a replacement, which is not that easy. Because despite the kind of lists that trumpet "25 alternatives to Evernote", Legacy is still a pretty unique product for certain uses. (For me, Joplin is going to be the closest fit. I also came across something call Notesnook, which does look and feel very similar to Legacy. Maybe it'll be the ideal solution for somebody. )

• Like 2
15 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I agree completely. First my account stopped syncing to my desktop client (same version you have), and when I worked my way through every other troubleshooting step to no avail, I reluctantly signed out - now I can't sign back in. Which means I have no way to export (can't do that from the Android client, which is still working for the moment). Luckily I made a full backup just hours before this occurred, but if I use that to import to my new provider, I'll have to manually recreate my notebooks for 93 notebooks and hundreds, if not thousands of notes. it's absolutely atrocious to give an end date three weeks in the future and then immediately start cutting people off from the ability to access and export their data. And it does look like retribution for posting here. If the remaining number of Legacy users is truly less than 1%, how petty can you get?! I use multiple notes on daily basis to log work performed for clients, and this is massively ***** up my work life.

Their U.S. office is in San Diego, which means a BBB complaint can be filed with the local office there. Here's the EN address:

Evernote Corporation
4231 Balboa Avenue, #1008
San Diego, CA 92117
United States

And here's their page on the San Diego BBB (where their current rating is F).

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-diego/profile/app-developers/evernote-corporation-1126-1000118350

Can I do that even though I'm not in the US?

14 hours ago, CalS said:

To try and get your local notes, when you get home turn off your internet connection before you try to access EN.  If the app is closed and you didn't log out you may be able to skip the log in test that way.  Unless EN physically logged you out from the server in the last couple of days.  If that doesn't work contact support, as it's not 3/23 yet....

EDIT:  Airplane mode is the easiest way to disconnect.

Thanks. But I'm definitely logged out, unfortunately. 😢

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

Thanks. But I'm definitely logged out, unfortunately. 😢

On your home devices?  There's x'ing out or closing and then there's actually logging out.  Only way to maybe to get in at this point is to have the app not running at home and disconnecting prior to starting it.  Logged out or app up and logged out elsewhere at this point is mostly likely toast.  Me thinks.

8 hours ago, ben353253 said:

Are you serious?? You are stunningly patronising, incredibly rude and missing the point. 

You are deciding to and happy to use inferior software because it's not "outdated". Who decided Evernote V6 is outdated? Evernote. QED. Wake up. You're clearly just happy to do what you're told like a good boy and take the cr@ppy software you're given. Well you just carry on.

I didn't come here to waste my time with people that want to endlessly defend a company who are digging formally great software in the ground. 

Yes I’m serious. I think complaining that software ADULTS have been told for THREE YEARS to stop using, that said users ignore that then have the entitlement to complain when it backfires are absurd. That is bonkers to me. I genuinely can’t fathom the issue here. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Feitz said:

They bought Evernote and made a bet they could fix it and be profitable. So I understand their decision to drop Legacy even If for me V10 is still too way buggy and clunky to use (they made progress though, half a year ago I found it completely unusable with not even sync working properly.

Users like me with a lot of data have a hard time either coping with what Evernote will probably develop into or look elsewhere. Newer or future users can jump ship much easier if issues persist, so we will see how this develops.

I for my part will not be using V10 much in the future, I already moved my currently relevant stuff out of Evernote and will use V10 only as a storage dump for existing unformatted or less relevant things like website clippings, etc. 

I found a solution that fits my needs and relies more on OS provided services like finder tags, spotlight and iCloud sync, added with a beautifully clean interface and so far everything works as expected.

The Evernote web clipper is second to none (when it works) so I will keep using that in the future, possibly on a free account once my recently renewed subscription ends (for a discounted renewal of 59 € even the web clipper is worth the extra year).

This approach I can agree with! It sucks that you don’t find 10 useful but instead of pretending that won’t be an issue you addressed it and found a work flow that works for you. That’s all anyone can do. I’ve seen some go to obsidian (not sure why to be honest as it’s so complex) some to Amplenote etc, for different reasons, trying to find a workflow that they can use. Glad you have found one.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[IDEA] Seems like there is another alternative/workaround for using the Legacy Client on both Windows and Android (though, it's not for the masses for sure).

Still, haven't tried it yet, but:

1. Setup Evernote Legacy client on Windows (and LOGIN, which is important to do BEFORE the shutdown)
  2. Install Syncthing
  3. Add evernote database folder to Syncthing
  4. Install Wine for Android
  5. Install Syncthing and Evernote Legacy for Windows in Wine and LOGIN
  6. Setup previously configured Syncthing folder on Wine to point to Evernote database folder

And if all the above steps succeed, then what you may end-up is free of charge Evernote Legacy app. Seems like syncthing supports block transfers, and the sync should be relatively fast. Well, with some concerns (probably more than this):

1. No sync with evernote servers, no web-clipper
  2. Still, there is a login issue - the clients must be logged in before they are shutdown
  3. Most likely using Evernote Legacy on Wine may be slow on Android (if working at all, has to be verified)
  4. Do not use this setup simultaneously on both devices, if you modified anything on Windows, sync with Android first, and only then modify on Android and vice versa. Else you may end up with syncthing file conflict
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, CalS said:

On your home devices?  There's x'ing out or closing and then there's actually logging out.  Only way to maybe to get in at this point is to have the app not running at home and disconnecting prior to starting it.  Logged out or app up and logged out elsewhere at this point is mostly likely toast.  Me thinks.

Thanks, but I've now tried reinstalling a couple of times, so yeah, I'm def logged out. 😀 And I have several accounts that I'd need to access, anyway.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, WilliamL said:

Yes I’m serious. I think complaining that software ADULTS have been told for THREE YEARS to stop using, that said users ignore that then have the entitlement to complain when it backfires are absurd. That is bonkers to me. I genuinely can’t fathom the issue here. 

Told where? When? I never saw anything in my inbox. Is it just me? Or was that info only common knowledge in these forums?

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

Thanks, but I've now tried reinstalling a couple of times, so yeah, I'm def logged out. 😀 And I have several accounts that I'd need to access, anyway.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

You are welcome. 

1 hour ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

[IDEA] Seems like there is another alternative/workaround

This would probably work but you must never log out. The moment this happens (accidently) you're out of luck and won't be able to access your contents again.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Feitz said:

This would probably work but you must never log out. The moment this happens (accidently) you're out of luck and won't be able to access your contents again.

Exactly - seems like a single (and very final) point of failure.  If you lose connection,  not only is your only access to your notes on the server via v10,  but any recent additions are locked in a database to which you may have no other access...

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Feitz said:

32 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Exactly - seems like a single (and very final) point of failure.  If you lose connection,  not only is your only access to your notes on the server via v10,  but any recent additions are locked in a database to which you may have no other access...

That's true. Probably creating a complete read-only VM backup (e.g. a Virtual Box machine with Tiny11) and only using a copy of this VM will allow to have a fallback recovery method. At least till another method for "offline sign on" is discovered.

• Level 5

@ben353253 Sending email - what an innovative idea.

You don‘t think they are expecting this ? I think they have a nice folder prepared to collect all that stuff. I would erase everything holding insults, which will probably be the majority. But not my decision, so feel free to shame yourself as you are doing it here.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

I suggest we all email Evernote to lobby them to reverse this ridiculous decision.

Less than 1% of Evernote's users are currently on Legacy,  and the costly system overheads of keeping that small percentage happy with compatible syncing are being born by all of us.  There are also security risks.  There's no rational reason for refusing to use a more modern application that works perfectly well for everyone else - just person-up or move on.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

I think complaining that software ADULTS have been told for THREE YEARS

Software ADULTS don't use buggy software if they can help it. They would loose their job in any professional environment if they did.

But it is also clear that BS seem to try to fix this. We'll find out how this goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ferol said:

@ElizabethB

So Legacy doesn't sync for me either.

All  conspirators, can stop now...  I'm actually one of the "advocates" of the Blending Spoon... And they shut me down too.

PS:  But don't tell anyone... I guess it's intentional, so it's not too obvious that they're only shutting down critics... So they shut down some of the defenders for good measure. 

I can use Legacy in offline mode 

Cant sync

Last intalation of Legacy

Legacy stopped syncing for me 3 days ago. It would sync from 2nd PC, but not main PC. Tried everything, close, restart PC, reinstall, etc... nothing. Wrote to support who sent boilerplate reply to reinstall....nothing.

Advice in forum that Legacy can run alongside V10 no longer valid (as stated earlier, they've even removed that thread). It would appear they're doing everything in their power to stop me from using legacy even before the March 23 cutoff date!

Have installed V10 which has no problem syncing, but still has glaring omissions/problems.

3 hours ago, gyqhbsiusduh said:

If you log out, can you log back in? ...and do you want to take the chance to try...😁

I don't care... I've been on v.10 for a long time

I can try it, if it kicks me out I don't care anymore...

I was just using it as a backup system. So I have to change it now anyway.

7 horas atrás, ben353253 disse:

I suggest we all email Evernote to lobby them to reverse this ridiculous decision.

You are deluding yourself. I think it's pretty obvious that Evernote won't go back on this decision. It goes against all their current planning and business plan. Legacy is (was) a great program but its lifespan has come to an end. It may be unfair but it is reality.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, ben353253 said:

All complete nonsense. People are up in arms because Legacy is objectively a better app - indeed it's not surprising because it's a proper native Win32 app and not some laggy Electron cross platform rot and as a result it's better coded and runs excellently. It's being abandoned and 10 is still not fit for purpose. All for reasons of business and financial expediency. And yet people such as yourself come and defend the company for this...like they're doing it for any reason other than their bottom line.

I was wrong. I said there's one in every forum; there's many more here it seems. You're all extremely gullible. Knock yourself out. 

Definitely done beating my head against this wall. You present your experience and opinions as absolutely objective, which is objectively unreasonable. Cross-platform is something you don't need, so everyone else should do without it? Or you don't mind if the fonts you use on one platform don't show up on others (because they can't)--and therefore no one else should mind? Or you want Evernote to develop and maintain native apps on all platforms, never mind the inevitable inconsistency and the expense--but they better not increase prices to pay for it? "All complete nonsense."

As for gullibility, I like the saying, "Don't believe everything you think."

Once again, here's the blog post: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning. No doubt there are business reasons behind the decision, which they make pretty clear: it's too expensive to let 1% of the users drain resources to maintain an old app.

• Level 5
15 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

Lol. Evernote say it's 1 per cent - which suits them just fine, what are the chances eh? - and you believe them! They show no proof whatsoever. You're being very naive. 

Sorry, I forgot the basic principle of life online: everyone's lying but @ben353253.

• Haha 1

v6 has become unstable
I agree

v6 is not being updated
I agree. It has not been updated for 3-4 years. It's not a problem.

v6 stopped syncing
ok. No problems

But they want to turn it off completely. Even if I agree with the risks

On 2/23/2024 at 4:32 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Click the link to the post I linked to. It's from Federico, the head of Evernote.

As for how many think Evernote 10 sucks, unless you've taken a reliable poll there's no way of knowing just based on forum posts. Forums are for discussing problems, so there are lots of complaints. As you say, it's the only place to vent. The quantity of venting doesn't prove anything about how many people like or dislike v. 10.

I too wish Evernote staffers would respond here, as they used to a few years ago. Maybe the don't feel like subjecting their employees to verbal abuse.

I wish also, though, that people making sweeping statements about Evernote's suckiness and lack of care would go into some specifics. List a few of those bugs. Missing or degraded features is a different category. Tag sorting would be nice, for sure. Opening a note from a link requires a click ... not seeing the contortion--again, details, please.

So yes, I'm actually inviting you to say more.

There's my post about note links. This seriously wastes about 5 minutes of every day for me now. I keep a list of notes in a note. Used to be I'd click on a link in that note and would be taken to the note I clicked on IN THE SAME WINDOW. Or I could right click and open in a new tab or window. Now, it just takes me to the main screen with that note displayed. When it works. Half the time it does nothing, and twice it's crashed the app. 

And it's SLOW. I've seen people claiming it's faster, but I think maybe they're on drugs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, ben353253 said:

Lol. Evernote say it's 1 per cent - which suits them just fine, what are the chances eh? - and you believe them! They show no proof whatsoever. You're being very naive. 

Let us assume these guys have just sunk a multi million investment first in the acquisition, and then in rebuilding and app development.

1. Now they say: We will stop offering this part of the service. It is just 1% of users any more, we will tell them in advance, and they have the option to switch over to the modern service without any cost. Wort case we loose 1%, but we can cut our development and operational cost by (say) 15%.
  2. Alternatively we say: We will stop offering this part of the service. It is just 99% of users any more, we will tell them in advance, and they have the option to switch over to the modern service without any cost. Wort case we loose 99%, but we can cut our development and operational cost by (say) 15%.

The second is what you suggest: There are many more users with legacy, and there is a conspiracy against them all. Which means that I must believe that EN management is run by lunatics, who are just going to kill a major part of their user base intentionally.

What I do is take them by their word, and the business logic behind it: Legacy users are just a tiny fraction of all users. They get an alternative offer, but even if they decide all to grab their stuff and leave, it will only have a minor impact on earnings. It will have a significant impact on operations and operational expenses.

This avoids to believe that EN management is run by lunatics, which is a rather far off assumption when looking at the money at stake.

Remark: The method is called Ockham's Razor, and it is quite useful to shave some outright stupid arguments brought into discussions. Zzzzzzzippp !

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Let us assume these guys have just sunk a multi million investment first in the acquisition, and then in rebuilding and app development.

1. Now they say: We will stop offering this part of the service. It is just 1% of users any more, we will tell them in advance, and they have the option to switch over to the modern service without any cost. Wort case we loose 1%, but we can cut our development and operational cost by (say) 15%.
  2. Alternatively we say: We will stop offering this part of the service. It is just 99% of users any more, we will tell them in advance, and they have the option to switch over to the modern service without any cost. Wort case we loose 99%, but we can cut our development and operational cost by (say) 15%.

The second is what you suggest: There are many more users with legacy, and there is a conspiracy against them all. Which means that I must believe that EN management is run by lunatics, who are just going to kill a major part of their user base intentionally.

What I do is take them by their word, and the business logic behind it: Legacy users are just a tiny fraction of all users. They get an alternative offer, but even if they decide all to grab their stuff and leave, it will only have a minor impact on earnings. It will have a significant impact on operations and operational expenses.

This avoids to believe that EN management is run by lunatics, which is a rather far off assumption when looking at the money at stake.

Remark: The method is called Ockham's Razor, and it is quite useful to shave some outright stupid arguments brought into discussions. Zzzzzzzippp !

... But *****... the owners in BS have been possessed by lizards from an alien space rocket and are purposely going after Legacy users...

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, ferol said:

... But *****... the owners in BS have been possessed by lizards from an alien space rocket and are purposely going after Legacy users...

Funny. Of course they do not do that.

And perhaps it isn't true either that they don't  give d*mn about the bugs, the features that are broken or just missed by users (not by @PinkElephant and couple (but not a handful) others, though).

And it isn't the case either that they provide roadmaps, a ticketing system, respond to bug-reports or have a customer service.

So… it is somewhere in between, I'd say.

I am personally quite a bit upset. Not because legacy is going away. But because V10 is so underfeatured, so buggy and so difficult to work with (workarounds everywhere). It might well be a giant step forward for the company, it is certainly a giant step backwards for my productivity.

In the long run though, no company survives that treats customers badly. So we will see.

I made a note to self, timed two years from now. I did not make it in EN though, as I really want to be reminded and who knows…

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Always talking about v10 being under featured. Looking from v10, legacy is painfully under featured. It started about a year after v10 launched, when new features were rolled out to v10. Today legacy is not under featured, it is out classed.

• Build your Zettelkasten around legacy ? You can't, no backlinks.
  • Build your personal CRM from legacy ? You can't, no tasks.
  • Build your personal dashboard from legacy ? You can't, no Home Screen.
  • Work as a group of people on shared notes in legacy ? You can - but you will find yourself on the phone, asking person A to leave the note to allow person B to enter it. With v10, both will be there at the same time, and A will see what B does, and vice versa.

I could continue.

This is the main problem with the legacy holdout users: They don't even know how out classed their pet app already is. Or they don't care, which is a stupid move as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This is the main problem with the legacy holdout users: They don't even know how out classed their pet app already is. Or they don't care, which is a stupid move as well.

Or they don't need the functionality you talk about.

I think you could be more condescending if you only tried a little harder... c'mon, just a little... I'm sure you won't find it too difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

Your user name looks as garbled as your thinking. Nomen est omen, I would say.

Nobody asks anybody to use all these functions, individually. For all users (existing and new alike) a more feature rich offer is better, where everybody can pick his choice. But of course for a die hard legacy user, features that don't exist in legacy are unimportant, because they can't be used. Classical closed loop thinking, echo chamber at it's best.

Think about it, while the countdown is running.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Nobody asks anybody to use all these functions, individually. For all users (existing and new alike) a more feature rich offer is better, where everybody can pick his choice. But of course for a die hard legacy user, features that don't exist in legacy are unimportant, because they can't be used. Classical closed loop thinking, echo chamber at it's best.

Think about it, while the countdown is running.

It's "at its best".

You're welcome.

51 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

They don't even know how out classed their pet app already is.

You are making your assumptions out of very thin air. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, kkarney said:

There's my post about note links. This seriously wastes about 5 minutes of every day for me now. I keep a list of notes in a note. Used to be I'd click on a link in that note and would be taken to the note I clicked on IN THE SAME WINDOW. Or I could right click and open in a new tab or window. Now, it just takes me to the main screen with that note displayed. When it works. Half the time it does nothing, and twice it's crashed the app. 

And it's SLOW. I've seen people claiming it's faster, but I think maybe they're on drugs.

Ah yes, I remember that discussion now. That specific function of clicking on a link in a separate window (which is what this is about) and having it open up in the same window was a good one. It is possible to use Ctrl+click to open the link in a new separate window (even though even that activates the main window briefly), which I usually prefer; but the old function was definitely useful.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Really? Are we judging people by their user names now? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow, clearly this is an abusive forum where even the moderators are trolling. I was hoping to come here to make a few suggestions and encourage the developers to move the app in a direction which would be more functional and easier on the eyes. I was happy for over ten years with the legacy app and until this forced update to a much worse version of Evernote I loved it and wouldn’t have ever even thought about any other app or platform for my notes and organizational structure. Well, with the downgrading of the app which Evernote’s developers seem to think is upgrading, I will be saying sayonara. It was good while it lasted, rest in peace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/24/2024 at 1:31 AM, dcmalk said:

The legacy app has worked flawlessly for me. It's been cornerstone to my business and day-to-day life for over 10 years.

I've given v10 a chance on multiple occasions and there's just no way.

This is horrible news. 

I'm in the exact same situation have been using v6.7.6 with not trouble for years. 

• Like 3
On 2/26/2024 at 3:14 AM, PinkElephant said:

I said "what you may need".

Beside this the discussion is academic - legacy is unsupported since 42 months now. It is no reliable software since October 2020. The Mac version is already close to be unusable, all by itself. Why should Windows get spared ?

Using v10 is the pragmatic approach. It has its own API to the server. The others are A) to wait a little, and try again B ) to contact support.

As a word of caution: The latest support reaction time was long enough to see legacy disconnect before.

Hi have used v6.7.6 with not trouble for years it has been extremely reliable with no support needed since I started using this version. I have Tried V10 and gone back I can assure you this will be a huge step backwards for my work flow.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

Hi have used v6.7.6 with not trouble for years...

no support needed

Understandable that you know and love an app you've used for ages.  v10 is unfamiliar,  things have been moved around and other things work differently.  So you'll stumble for a while just like you probably did when you first started with Legacy.  But you will get through it,  and we're here to help if you need it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Understandable that you know and love an app you've used for ages.  v10 is unfamiliar,  things have been moved around and other things work differently.  So you'll stumble for a while just like you probably did when you first started with Legacy.  But you will get through it,  and we're here to help if you need it.

I am having a go with EN10 but struggling to find my notes as I have a problem internal links not working  see video in  link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uE2pnYF8qpX6V9wKlpj_0JWgZaXSdlUU/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Have come back after a hour and it seems to be working now on that particular note but other notes get random results when clicking on internal links like going to the home screen.

Edited by Jon lowbank
up date
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, alexanderedits said:

Wow, clearly this is an abusive forum where even the moderators are trolling. I was hoping to come here to make a few suggestions and encourage the developers to move the app in a direction which would be more functional and easier on the eyes. 

LoL, now there, how nice that would be…

But since "the moderators are trolling" 🤣, it is onerous. There is still some value, but only for those who accept what we get and ask smaller questions (and don't get the answer straight: nah, you don't need that").

• Like 1
12 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

FYI: Legacy is now syncing again for me also, so they must have changed something.

Yes.  It's syncing for me too.  I submitted a problem ticket but got the usual NON-RESPONSE saying check your version number and reboot your PC.  They never followed up to say they fixed something.  But clearly they DID fix something!! 

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

v10 is unfamiliar,  things have been moved around and other things work differently.  So you'll stumble for a while just like you probably did when you first started with Legacy.

I find this quite patronizing. Your statement sounds as if Legacy users are just a bit slow in the uptake to adapt to a new piece of software. V10 is not a complex application by any standard  but a simple note taking app. 

For months Legacy users like me have tried to point out that V10 lacks basic stability and has too many bugs for an application that is supposed to serve as a place where you can save all your important information. Some don't care but others like me do. I don't want to have to worry about where  my attachments go, where my just typed contents goes or whether I have to redownload 75 GB of data every other week. It has to just work as Legacy 7.15 has for several years. No issue whatsoever. I don't care for new functionality that barely works and is rudimentary at best, like 'tasks'. Reminders in Legacy were sufficient and in contrast to V10 worked flawlessly for years. I don't need AI to find my notes, but that is a personal preference. i relied heavily on tags (as was encouraged by Evernote from the start) but even the implementation of tags was much better  in Legacy. 

We argued that formerly simple workflows that required two or three clicks in Legacy now are unnecessarily more complicated to achieve (like 'convert to PDF', a one-click operation that now requires exporting as PDF, then import it again etc. This could have easily been mended. 

This was not for the sake of giving BS or any other user here a hard time but to point out where V10 could easily be streamlined and to give Legacy users a chance to keep using the product until V10 is ready. I am still convinced that it would have been possible to set aside a couple of servers for Legacy users without hindering progress for V10.

Now this discussion is obsolete since we know when Legacy will be gone and allegedly how many (1%) of users are still using Legacy, so the probability that BS will change course is zero.

But we don't have to be told we need just a little more understanding of V10 for our gripes with V10 to go away. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

But we don't have to be told we need just a little more understanding of V10 for our gripes with V10 to go away. 

+1

I am trying to be "more understanding". Every day.

But the bugs (), the multistep workarounds are very annoying. But I am getting used to the usual response here, that says

1. It's not broken / missing
  2. Ok, it is broken / missing, but it can be worked around easily
  3. If it cannot, then you don't need it
  4. If you need it, you are in the 1% - we don't need it
  5. It cannot be fixed anyway, because it needs months of development work
  6. Besides, look at all the new features, like AI, new UI …
  7. If you still have a problem, bye, you shouldn't be here in the first place 

But where should we, poor souls who feel let alone, be if not in the "EN discussion forum"?

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
Just now, ben353253 said:

I suggest they declare their interests or back off.

I am one of the user moderators of this account - I live in the UK and have no connection with Evernote other than using their application.  I do like to help people who are savvy enough to ask for specific help,  but have very little patience for those who complain that "it doesn't work" without being willing to give individual instances and expend a little effort - in their own interests - to find ways around their issues.  Complaining fixes nothing.

And nothing is going to change in the next few weeks,  so anyone who doesn't convert to v10 will lose access to their data,  unless they migrate (internally or externally) first. 

Your choice folks.

• Like 4

Found this interesting: Google Trends Evernote vs. Notion for the last 5 years. Evernote: blue.

Edit: the acquisition by BS or current improvements didn't in any way change the slow but constant downward trend of Evernote.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 11.36.59.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Google Trends should not be overrated but Evernote clearly isn't the talk of the town...

This gets even more interesting if we add other alternatives like Obsidian, ClickUp and Apple Notes. None of the others come close to Notion in terms of Google searches.image.thumb.jpeg.9b7969c18b483ad5c4e0039cf85b96f9.jpeg

• Like 1

Blimey, I've got to read through this entire thread. How does one go about submitting a request for an addition to EN 10?

My request is quite straightforward. Just add the capability to alter the UPDATE timestamp. I often use the legacy version for this because in the new version, merely opening a note will automatically update it, which is rather bothersome. Consequently, I find myself having to revert the update date back to the creation date.

I'd like to put forward a request for this feature; where might I do that?

Also, my advice would be, a day before the switch-off, to back up all your notes using the lightning-fast method I've previously shared with you all, and keep it in a secure location.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Also, my advice would be, a day before the switch-off, to back up all your notes using the lightning-fast method I've previously shared with you all, and keep it in a secure location.

Lightning fast would be good, where did you share it?