Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Blimey, I've got to read through this entire thread.

Hi.  I wouldn't bother if I were you.  If you hit any speed bumps,  just start a new thread.  It's nice to see an actual request for help.

1. To suggest this to Evernote - just use feedback@evernote.com or contact Support (I know,  but that' what they're there for...)
  2. Check out Note Information (three dots at top right or Ctrl+Shift+I) to change the date,  or
  3. Add your own date to note titles in yyyymmdd format - I use a text expander to insert the date (and time) with one keystroke where necessary.  20240227 1122

Any queries,  let us know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:
  1. Check out Note Information (three dots at top right or Ctrl+Shift+I) to change the date

I think the issue of the OP (and certainly mine) is that only the creation date can be changed in V10, they took out the ability to change the date of modification.

If they need to knock out of of them (why?) though: I find that I need (from now: just would like to but cannot) change the modification date more often.

But @KoZz let's put in the request, both of us. That still leaves us in the 1% though 🙂, but let's try.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, KoZz said:

Blimey, I've got to read through this entire thread. How does one go about submitting a request for an addition to EN 10?

My request is quite straightforward. Just add the capability to alter the UPDATE timestamp. I often use the legacy version for this because in the new version, merely opening a note will automatically update it, which is rather bothersome. Consequently, I find myself having to revert the update date back to the creation date.

I'd like to put forward a request for this feature; where might I do that?

Also, my advice would be, a day before the switch-off, to back up all your notes using the lightning-fast method I've previously shared with you all, and keep it in a secure location.

Besides feedback@evernote.com, there's also a request forum. I believe there is at least one, maybe more than one, existing request thread for this there: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/731-evernote-for-windows-requests-versions-100-and-above/.

18 hours ago, ben353253 said:

Lol. Evernote say it's 1 per cent - which suits them just fine, what are the chances eh? - and you believe them! They show no proof whatsoever. You're being very naive. 

1% is a meaningless number. Nobody has actual statistics, because nobody cares about those of us who hate v10. I can pretty much guarantee you more than 1% of users are unhappy. But no, i don't have hard stats -- and neither do those here making the opposite argument.

Yes, we understand that Legacy has been deprecated for a long time. Yes, we understand we're SOL. But we still have a right to vent, and since BS won't listen or respond, this is our only outlet. It's somewhat comforting to know that others are feeling the same way, in spite of multiple posts trying to convince us that we're a tiny 1% minority who just likes to complain.

I will be filing a BBB complaint per Elizabeth's post. v10 fans, please go ahead and post your snarky "good luck with that" comments.

• Like 4
On 2/25/2024 at 10:50 AM, ElizabethB said:

I agree completely. First my account stopped syncing to my desktop client (same version you have), and when I worked my way through every other troubleshooting step to no avail, I reluctantly signed out - now I can't sign back in. Which means I have no way to export (can't do that from the Android client, which is still working for the moment). Luckily I made a full backup just hours before this occurred, but if I use that to import to my new provider, I'll have to manually recreate my notebooks for 93 notebooks and hundreds, if not thousands of notes. it's absolutely atrocious to give an end date three weeks in the future and then immediately start cutting people off from the ability to access and export their data. And it does look like retribution for posting here. If the remaining number of Legacy users is truly less than 1%, how petty can you get?! I use multiple notes on daily basis to log work performed for clients, and this is massively ***** up my work life.

Their U.S. office is in San Diego, which means a BBB complaint can be filed with the local office there. Here's the EN address:

Evernote Corporation
4231 Balboa Avenue, #1008
San Diego, CA 92117
United States

And here's their page on the San Diego BBB (where their current rating is F).

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-diego/profile/app-developers/evernote-corporation-1126-1000118350

Great idea, Elizabeth. I will be filing a BBB complaint as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
9 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

@Dave-in-Decatur, do you have an idea if ever, anything from that list has been accepted?

Just curious.

I don't. Well, wait. One of the longest running and most popular requests there is for collapsible lists, and that is in the works (posts on it various places in the forums, including from Federico). So, there's that. It might be worth glancing down the list to mentally check off any that have been implemented.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kkarney said:

Great idea, Elizabeth. I will be filing a BBB complaint as well.

May want to try to go in again as other posts imply access returned.  Could have been a coding error causing early shut down of legacy. 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, kkarney said:

1% is a meaningless number. Nobody has actual statistics, because nobody cares about those of us who hate v10. I can pretty much guarantee you more than 1% of users are unhappy. But no, i don't have hard stats -- and neither do those here making the opposite argument.

Yes, we understand that Legacy has been deprecated for a long time. Yes, we understand we're SOL. But we still have a right to vent, and since BS won't listen or respond, this is our only outlet. It's somewhat comforting to know that others are feeling the same way, in spite of multiple posts trying to convince us that we're a tiny 1% minority who just likes to complain.

I will be filing a BBB complaint per Elizabeth's post. v10 fans, please go ahead and post your snarky "good luck with that" comments.

Don't bother anymore. Why don't you write me why not v.10 and what you are missing..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Feitz said:

Lightning fast would be good, where did you share it?

No idea I've had a look and my post has gone.  I haven't been around for a while. In order to perform the super-fast backup of all your ENEX files all you need to do is to sign out of Evernote legacy, and on the login splash screen press ctrl shift E then select your account then export all your notes, it'll export 'em into seperate enex files and this is done automatically, it's super quick !

My backup is overdue, but I'm going to perform a last final backup of Legacy using this method 2 days before the cut-off

Try this method, you'll be impressed with the speed.

• Thanks 2
35 minutes ago, CalS said:

May want to try to go in again as other posts imply access returned.  Could have been a coding error causing early shut down of legacy. 🤷‍♂️

I've already switched to v10. It's horrible, but that's not what my complaint to the BBB will be about -- it will be about the total lack of support to paying customers. For any version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I wouldn't bother if I were you.  If you hit any speed bumps,  just start a new thread.  It's nice to see an actual request for help.

1. To suggest this to Evernote - just use feedback@evernote.com or contact Support (I know,  but that' what they're there for...)
  2. Check out Note Information (three dots at top right or Ctrl+Shift+I) to change the date,  or
  3. Add your own date to note titles in yyyymmdd format - I use a text expander to insert the date (and time) with one keystroke where necessary.  20240227 1122

Any queries,  let us know.

I do put dates in the majority of my note tiles but I still need to update the update stamp manually. Yeah I could just view notes by created only but I've always used and updated both created and updated data/time stamps. 

It's more for structured organised viewing purposes.. surely I can't be the only one that this is seriously going to affect. I'm going to email feedback@everynote.com with the request.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We have had this request, mainly after the first releases of v10.

EN didn't do much about it, and the requests dried up. So far the history of the date modification, good luck to your renewed request. Always include WHY it is important for you, not only the fact THAT it is.

If you don’t update in time, your legacy app will stop working, and you won’t be able to log in again until you install v10 or use Evernote Web.
What does "your legacy app will stop working" mean.  I get a couple dozen notes everyday automatically forwarded from Outlook into Evernote which I then print for an 'old school' executive who wants everything in hard copy print. 
The thing for me is formatting note options to be printed offered in legacy, but not in v10.  I am happy to manually export the .ENEX notes, then manually import them into Legacy to print.
As long as I keep Legacy software on my computer I don't need it to be connected to internet, synced, etc...  Do smarter tech people here get the sense that may be possible?  They can't just uninstall the software from my computer....

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Razmataz said:

@Dave-in-Decatur, do you have an idea if ever, anything from that list has been accepted?

Just curious.

This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll comment.  Under the old leadership, the easy answer for me was no.  I no longer voted up requests because I firmly believed it did not matter a bit.  Bending Spoons will soon be adding collapsible sections which is a long requested feature, so they do appear to be listening to some feedback and are invested in improving the product.

Now whether they are collecting any input from the forums or somewhere else is another question.  If anyone wants to ensure Evernote sees their input, then the request should also be sent to Evernote feedback.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, KoZz said:

I do put dates in the majority of my note tiles but I still need to update the update stamp manually. Yeah I could just view notes by created only but I've always used and updated both created and updated data/time stamps. 

It's more for structured organised viewing purposes.. surely I can't be the only one that this is seriously going to affect. I'm going to email feedback@everynote.com with the request.

I'm struggling a bit to figure this out. I know some people like to manually edit dates of creation and update, and want to sort on those fields. I'll admit that the only thing I generally use sorting for is to have the most recently updated at the top. So ... if you edit a note and that changes the updated date, doesn't sorting on "Date updated" bring it to the top? I'm struggling to understand why you need to manually set the updated date to something other than the updated date.

In general, I don't understand the desire to use metadata fields for something other than their obvious purpose. But I do wish Evernote would put some editable do-what-you-want fields in the metadata to accommodate those who need to do this. If that might help, you could go to @ferol's thread https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/150571-missing-features-and-bugs-in-v10-in-table-my-wishlist/ and have him add it to his list.

• Level 5

I understand it is sometimes used (and probably useful) to create a certain sorting order.

But I agree that it is in general a bad idea to interfere with the content of fields used by the system.

• Level 5*

Equally a bad idea to allow fields used by the system to be modified by the user.  🤣   I would hope there were invisible to the user system dates for created and modified in old EN..

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm struggling a bit to figure this out. I know some people like to manually edit dates of creation and update, and want to sort on those fields. I'll admit that the only thing I generally use sorting for is to have the most recently updated at the top. So ... if you edit a note and that changes the updated date, doesn't sorting on "Date updated" bring it to the top? I'm struggling to understand why you need to manually set the updated date to something other than the updated date.

In general, I don't understand the desire to use metadata fields for something other than their obvious purpose. But I do wish Evernote would put some editable do-what-you-want fields in the metadata to accommodate those who need to do this. If that might help, you could go to @ferol's thread https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/150571-missing-features-and-bugs-in-v10-in-table-my-wishlist/ and have him add it to his list.

Ferol has graciously added my request to the wish list. To clarify, sometimes when I open a note on my phone or in version 10, it automatically updates the note date without my intervention, which changes its position in my list of notes. As a result, I often have to revert the updated date to its original setting to maintain the coherence of my notes, particularly my training data which is organised and listed chronologically, with dates even included in the titles. If these are updated, they become disorganised and difficult to quickly review, lacking uniformity. I rarely use the updated date feature except for changes to items of lesser importance. However, I must emphasise that without this feature, managing how my data is presented becomes a significant challenge, as I spend a considerable amount of time adjusting updated date stamps to keep everything in order.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, KoZz said:

To clarify, sometimes when I open a note on my phone or in version 10, it automatically updates the note date without my intervention

Thats a bug or not how its meant to work! Its been spoken about and I'm pretty sure its on the list to be fixed.

The consensus is that if a note is only viewed it shouldn't have the update date changed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Updating the updated field without actually changing something, just by viewing has been an annoying bug. It popped up sometimes, then was purged, but came back at least once later with a new release.

Not good if that happens, but it is not the intended treatment of that information.

What is no bug (in the understanding how v10 works) is that any action on a note will update that field: Adding/removing a tag, moving the note to another notebook, etc.

3 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Thats a bug or not how its meant to work! Its been spoken about and I'm pretty sure its on the list to be fixed.

The consensus is that if a note is only viewed it shouldn't have the update date changed.

I get that but we still need to to be able to update the updated date time stamp field  

3 hours ago, KoZz said:

I haven't been around for a while. In order to perform the super-fast backup of all your ENEX files all you need to do is to sign out of Evernote legacy, and on the login splash screen press ctrl shift E then select your account then export all your notes, it'll export 'em into seperate enex files and this is done automatically, it's super quick !

Great, thank you very much...

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, KoZz said:

I get that but we still need to to be able to update the updated date time stamp field  

How v10 works (beside that bug) tells that updating this field will do no good: There are too many operations that WILL update it, and by that destroy the effort invested into modifying it manually.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Razmataz said:

I think the issue of the OP (and certainly mine) is that only the creation date can be changed in V10, they took out the ability to change the date of modification.

If they need to knock out of of them (why?) though: I find that I need (from now: just would like to but cannot) change the modification date more often.

But @KoZz let's put in the request, both of us. That still leaves us in the 1% though 🙂, but let's try.

I have put in a request via email to 'feedback@evernote.com'

My request below:

I am writing to express a significant concern regarding the functionality differences between Evernote Legacy and the current V10 version, specifically pertaining to the modification of date/time stamps for notes.

In the Legacy version, users have the flexibility to adjust both the creation and update date/time stamps. Unfortunately, this feature appears to be limited in V10, allowing modifications to the creation date/time only. This restriction poses challenges, particularly when the software automatically updates notes upon viewing, affecting the 'Updated' timestamp.

The ability to manually adjust both date/time stamps is crucial for my workflow, and currently, I find myself reliant on the Legacy version solely for this functionality. The convenience of being able to modify these timestamps directly impacts our efficiency and the overall user experience.

Therefore, I kindly request that you consider reintroducing this feature into Evernote V10. Implementing this change would significantly enhance the application's usability and accommodate the needs of users who rely on this functionality for organising and managing their notes effectively.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to any updates you can provide regarding potential adjustments to the Evernote platform.

Thank you

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

How v10 works (beside that bug) tells that updating this field will do no good: There are too many operations that WILL update it, and by that destroy the effort invested into modifying it manually.

I hear ya but the ability to be able to change IF needed is still vital in my opinion... You know how annoying it's been for me, for god knows how long now,  to browse for a note on my phone only to find it's not where it's supposed to be then to find it's been updated.. however, simple fix, I correct the updated field , sync .. done....  

20 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

Always talking about v10 being under featured. Looking from v10, legacy is painfully under featured. It started about a year after v10 launched, when new features were rolled out to v10. Today legacy is not under featured, it is out classed.

You overreacted now. v10 is not the perfect application with all the functions we need and the legacy is also not something terrible that is completely outdated.

Legacy is a great application that still works almost perfectly today. The issue is that the company, due to a business decision that I understand, decided to kill the version. The legacy is very good but it no longer makes sense in Evernote's current structure. Evernote is right in its decision, although Legacy is a great application that will be greatly missed.

• Like 4
8 horas atrás, Razmataz disse:

+1

I am trying to be "more understanding". Every day.

But the bugs (), the multistep workarounds are very annoying. But I am getting used to the usual response here, that says

1. It's not broken / missing
  2. Ok, it is broken / missing, but it can be worked around easily
  3. If it cannot, then you don't need it
  4. If you need it, you are in the 1% - we don't need it
  5. It cannot be fixed anyway, because it needs months of development work
  6. Besides, look at all the new features, like AI, new UI …
  7. If you still have a problem, bye, you shouldn't be here in the first place 

But where should we, poor souls who feel let alone, be if not in the "EN discussion forum"?

Legacy users should try using v10. If they find it bad or can't adapt, they should look for another application. It's that simple. Everything else is an unimportant fight. Evernote will not go back on its decision even if Legado is the best application ever created in history.

• Like 4

Looks like BS are now just messing around with access to my data via Legacy!  Both my PCs had this popup, won't accept my password & won't sync again today.  What is going on?

Legacy logon error Feb 27.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sledr said:

Yes.  It's syncing for me too.  I submitted a problem ticket but got the usual NON-RESPONSE saying check your version number and reboot your PC.  They never followed up to say they fixed something.  But clearly they DID fix something!! 

Same happed to me. It was a "request failed, code: 403, error". pretty  sure they where blocking your IP Address or connection to prompt you in to action and it worked on me  I went from  v6.7.6 to EN10  yesterday ! I think I'm going to be OK.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

Same happed to me. It was a "request failed, code: 403, error". Prity sure they where blocking your IP Address or connection to prompt you in to action. 

Why are you pretty sure of this? More rational explanations have been offered, e.g. that a large number of Legacy users were tapping the API at one time.

• Like 1

Yes, they clearly fixed it then un-fixed it again today.  Sure seems like somebody at BS is flipping switches getting ready for Mar 23rd.  Either that or just trying to piss us off!!

5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Why are you pretty sure of this? More rational explanations have been offered, e.g. that a large number of Legacy users were tapping the API at one time.

What Does the 403 Forbidden Error Mean? The HTTP status code '403 forbidden—you don't have permission to access this resource' is displayed when a web server recognizes a user's request but is unable to allow additional access.

12:37:46 [INFO ] [11940] [21240] Client synchronization started
12:37:46 [INFO ] [11940] [21712] 0% Loaded updateCount: 834504
12:37:46 [ERROR ] [11940] [21712] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
12:37:46 [INFO ] [11940] [21240] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
12:37:46 [ERROR ] [11940] [21240] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
12:37:47 [ERROR ] [11940] [13960] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
12:41:09 [INFO ] [11940] [25240] Client synchronization started
12:41:09 [INFO ] [11940] [24948] 0% Loaded updateCount: 834504
12:41:10 [ERROR ] [11940] [24948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
12:41:10 [INFO ] [11940] [25240] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

• Level 5
1 minute ago, Jon lowbank said:

What Does the 403 Forbidden Error Mean? The HTTP status code '403 forbidden—you don't have permission to access this resource' is displayed when a web server recognizes a user's request but is unable to allow additional access.

12:37:46 [INFO ] [11940] [21240] Client synchronization started
12:37:46 [INFO ] [11940] [21712] 0% Loaded updateCount: 834504
12:37:46 [ERROR ] [11940] [21712] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
12:37:46 [INFO ] [11940] [21240] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
12:37:46 [ERROR ] [11940] [21240] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
12:37:47 [ERROR ] [11940] [13960] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
12:41:09 [INFO ] [11940] [25240] Client synchronization started
12:41:09 [INFO ] [11940] [24948] 0% Loaded updateCount: 834504
12:41:10 [ERROR ] [11940] [24948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Forbidden
12:41:10 [INFO ] [11940] [25240] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

I'll have to let someone with more technical knowledge than I have answer that. To me, almost any technical explanation would be more reasonable than:

17 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

... pretty  sure they where blocking your IP Address or connection to prompt you in to action...

5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'll have to let someone with more technical knowledge than I have answer that. To me, almost any technical explanation would be more reasonable than:

Agreed. 403 has a specific meaning in web server parlance, but anytime something goes wrong in the logic of web app 403 is a common resulting error. As a result it's really a bit of a generic error and it's not a good idea to draw any major conclusions from it.

User interface aside, I just had a look at the pricing plans. Free accounts only get 50 notes and 1 notebook? Is Evernote actually becoming completely useless unless you pay a subscription fee to store, what, a couple megabytes of data?

• Level 5*

I was having all sorts of issues yesterday with logins,  updates and 'try again later' messages - plus a few 403's.  I took the sensible technical step of going to bed.  I think the servers may have been a little overwhelmed yesterday...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, zeknife said:

User interface aside, I just had a look at the pricing plans. Free accounts only get 50 notes and 1 notebook? Is Evernote actually becoming completely useless unless you pay a subscription fee to store, what, a couple megabytes of data?

I believe it's called a 'trial' - the app now has access to features that were previously only available to top level subscribers so you can try them out.  If you want long term storage (Mine's currently 39GB) you need to subscribe...

• Like 2

FYI for anyone else struggling with Legacy log in problems.  Despite being a long-term paying user legitimately running Legacy until Mar. 23rd, I have received zero usable help from support for multiple requests.

19 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

Looks like BS are now just messing around with access to my data via Legacy!  Both my PCs had this popup, won't accept my password & won't sync again today.  What is going on?

Legacy logon error Feb 27.jpg

I thought I'd try logging into v10 & see what it said & was surprised to see that it forced me to change my password.  Once I did that however, I was able to log into both versions on both my PCs.

EN v10 login fail Feb 28.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Level 5
33 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

I thought I'd try logging into v10 & see what it said & was surprised to see that it forced me to change my password.  Once I did that however, I was able to log into both versions on both my PCs.

I've seen some other reports of this. It may be related to this from their end-of-2023 recap:

We preemptively reset vulnerable passwords with an automatic password reset for accounts that didn’t have two-factor authentication. These accounts were particularly vulnerable to attacks through a weak or reused password. Affected users were then prompted to update their password the next time they opened Evernote. And again, I highly recommend setting up two-factor authentication!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Possibly - I positively think those who had 2FA by authenticator were spared.

Probably those with SMS-code were resetted, to bring them off the old 2FA concept, and then several more that matched some unknown criteria.

Wow.  That is bad news.  V10 still has very basic printing capacity.  Nothing like legacy.  If you've scanned a document with a password, legacy has no problem, but version 10 can't cut it.  There are so many features that require legacy to do that V10 is unable to.

It's hard to imagine that legacy is that much of a drain on the mothership

I do use V10 for most tasks and like all of the new features, but I've now got to scramble to get many of my documents into another program that can handle basics.  I'm seeing other users splitting tasks between EN and other programs so I guess I'll join that club.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

A scanned document has no password - unless you decide to apply one. EN doesn’t care if there is a password applied to an attachment. So I don’t exactly understand the use case you describe.

Apart from this, 23rd of march is L-day, so don’t loose too much time in deciding what to do.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, JPT3 said:

Wow.  That is bad news.  V10 still has very basic printing capacity.  Nothing like legacy.  If you've scanned a document with a password, legacy has no problem, but version 10 can't cut it.  There are so many features that require legacy to do that V10 is unable to

Can't cut it how?

11 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

FYI for anyone else struggling with Legacy log in problems.  Despite being a long-term paying user legitimately running Legacy until Mar. 23rd, I have received zero usable help from support for multiple requests.

EN v10 login fail Feb 28.jpg

As CalS has recommended MANY TIMES.  I AM NOT LOGGING OUT OF LEGACY EVER AGAIN!!!  THAT'S HOW YOU LOSE ACCESS TO your legacy notes.  

I hope to keep access to my legacy notes, even after 3/23/24 and potentially keep access until my PC dies or my Android phone dies (which I think I'm prepared for).  I do have backups and have exported to ENEX and HTML files.  I haven't found a good solution yet for importing my notes into another Application.  I have too many tags and no good solution for converting them yet.  Contacted the developer of ExportNote and hoping his app will help me import my tags into Obsidian.

I have my firewall configs ready to turn on, the week of 3/18/24, so that legacy doesn't attempt to connect to Evernote in the cloud.

Some of us have other things going on in our lives other than focusing on a 30 day notice from Bending Spoons!!^%$#!!

BUT GOOD TO KNOW that logging into V10 and changing your password helped!!  Bending Spoons  actions and support are sure not convincing me to stick around!  Whew!!!  : (

On 2/23/2024 at 1:42 PM, Zafirik said:

what is o-b-s? Could you please provide some more details. I am seriously looking for other  alternatives. 

o-b-s is Obsidian.  obsidian.md is the web page  help.obsidian.md is a good place to start.  That's what I have been using for 2 years now.  I LOVE IT!!

I have successfully imported my Evernote notes into o-b-s but my evernote tags look like *****, so I'm working on resolving that.  I used a lot of tags in Evernote with a special character and haven't found a tool to convert my EN tags to Obsidian tags, yet.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sledr said:

I AM NOT LOGGING OUT OF LEGACY EVER AGAIN!!!  THAT'S HOW YOU LOSE ACCESS TO your legacy notes.

I didn't log out of Legacy, it automatically logged me out & then asked for me to log back in.  On two PCs.

I hope to keep using Legacy offline as a reference though, so I'll have to look into those firewall configs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The new team is beefing up security as well. They do actively log out users with a weak account security level (bad passwords, no 2FA).

But this is not the point here.

If you want to keep legacy and use it WITHOUT SYNCING, ONLY TO ACCESS YOUR LOCAL NOTES, you need to be logged in first.

After that you need to take the client OFFLINE and KEEP IT OFFLINE FOREVER.

This makes no sense ? I don’t say it makes any sense - I just can tell you how it may work (however, no guarantees).

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Sledr said:

Some of us have other things going on in our lives other than focusing on a 30 day notice from Bending Spoons!!^%$#!!

30 days--at the end of 40 months or so of v. 10 being the obvious future, like it or not, and several months of red banner warnings. I sincerely hope you're able to find a workable way forward, but, as they say:

I'm sorry, but a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

at the end of 40 months or so of v. 10

That's not true because V10 was being used as a beta test on existing users who adopted it & had (and still has) some glaring issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Is there an official process

Hi.  There's no 'official' process - as far as Evernote are concerned Legacy was end-of-life years ago.  AFAIK there is no physical way to keep the Legacy app functional after you lose access to the servers.  You could try to stay logged in,  but if your connection is interrupted for any reason you lose access to the app and effective access to your notes.

The EXB file format used to be viewable via a SQLite client so you might be able to rescue some information that way,  but edits and updates will be difficult.  You could export your notes to PDF or HTML files and try to construct a working reference database - but again all maintenance will be manual.  The only two viable options seem to be:

• Export notes and migrate to another provider  or
  • Accept v10 with all its perceived faults and try to develop work-arounds.

At least you have the search / edit / add new notes options catered for,  and have the time to develop work-arounds or find alternatives.

EDIT:  (NB your existing database is still stored on he server and available via the web access)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sledr said:

I AM NOT LOGGING OUT OF LEGACY EVER AGAIN!!!  THAT'S HOW YOU LOSE ACCESS TO your legacy notes.  

I wouldn't count on that without a plan B. Many apps try to establish a server connection after a certain period of time to verify user credentials (e.g. Spotify). Don't know if this is the case with legacy but you never know...

I am on Macos and will dump everything into Eaglefiler. It has a very good - at least last time I checked - Evernote importer that flawlessly converts Evernote tags to Macos finder tags. Even If I don't need it I have a 'vault' of everything that was in Evernote and can search everything anytime I like and host my contents on my own NAS without further cost. Eaglefiler would make an excellent replacement for Evernote but at the moment still is lacking thumbnail icons and a 3-pane-layout (both are supposed to come later this year, then I will reconsider). For doing actual work I use KeepIt which holds all the stuff I currently need for my projects and documentation.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Because it is hard to migrate, and EN is hoping that they have enough capabilities and stability in v10 to satisfy the holdouts.

We may only be 1% of the user population but I am guessing we are more like 10% or more of the paying population.

Now, undertime crunch and no time to migrate, you will grin and bear it, Yea EN wins.
Or actively migrate, Boo EV looses.

Sorry, I don’t believe any of this.  30 days advance notice seems to be standard at least to the stuff that I subscribe to now a-days.  Even if the date was a year out, there would be people here grumbling about being blind sided.

Even if there wasn’t a line in the sand folks knew that it was going away and should at least been thinking about a plan B, and if not 30 days is plenty of time to export your data and look into options, and if not, load v10 and use that until you find something you like better.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
18 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Dave,  Bless your heart.

Truth be told, every time you asked support they said "It's not going anywhere soon". Regardless of banners or announcements

Why, because if they did say it was ending in 1 year, people would have a year to plan and maybe leave the platform.

So why only one month now.

Because it is hard to migrate, and EN is hoping that they have enough capabilities and stability in v10 to satisfy the holdouts.

We may only be 1% of the user population but I am guessing we are more like 10% or more of the paying population.

Now, undertime crunch and no time to migrate, you will grin and bear it, Yea EN wins.
Or actively migrate, Boo EV looses.

That's why it's been a mixed message for so every long with out a definitive end date.
Thanks for kicking me in the Ass EV.  I am getting my act together now.

Well, I lack your mind-reading capabilities to be able to determine other people's motivations. V. 10 has been around for over 3 years, and functioning decently for at least half that time (depending on  one's needs), so choosing to listen to what sounded to you like "no rush, it'll be around indefinitely," which might really have meant "it's going away, but not next month--but some month," was your choice to delay the inevitable--until the inevitable became an emergency.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, enfan-01 said:

That's not true because V10 was being used as a beta test on existing users who adopted it & had (and still has) some glaring issues.

OK, v. 10 was not a viable option for the first, say, 12-15 of those 40 months. But it was always clearly the future, and a future that improved dramatically from its absurdly under-prepared first release (on that point I agree). If you don't think Legacy had any "glaring issues," search the pre-v.-10 forum of your choice for "bugs." Certainly during 2019, if not earlier, a lot of people were saying make this better. The answer to that cry was v. 10, and for those who could or would never accept it, there has been a very long off-ramp--the end of which is now in front of them.

• Like 2

I'm going through a migration -- testing <maybe> as if I am going to use a different product for reals -- and I'm finding it surprisingly harder to migrate than I anticipated... Workflows have to change, figuring out the thing that will work best long term, learning the new product, etc. I'm doing a lot of note cleanup all along the way too which is tedious to nightmare depending on your number of notes. (A lot of my notes are working-type notes and not archival kinds of notes.)

Knowing what I know now I could do it end-to-end in a few hours (sans note cleanup), but the learning what would work for me part and trying out different things took months of light investigation and then four weeks of heavy investigation and work. It's been a pretty big time commitment for me personally.

Still though, it's not like Evernote itself is going away(*) in 30 23 days -- hopefully the worst-case scenario for the high majority still on Legacy is to upgrade to v10 and really limp along for as long as needed to adjust or migrate.

* I still think we are going to see people that can't upgrade to v10 for whatever reason that have local only notebooks. They might be in trouble. Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

We should have stickied this awesome comment from someone on October 10, 2023: 

They've never made a public announcement about that yet and I wonder if they even have one yet. From my own reading of it, it looks like there are three phases with sunsetting legacy at this point -- where Bending Spoons is trying to come up to speed with where it is at having taken the reigns from the previous team:

• First phase they tried to make sure that everyone that was on legacy really knew they were on legacy and tried to help (some people might say "trick") them in to upgrading to the new version. Lots of people didn't/don't know there is a new version out there.
  • Second phase they are giving these dire warnings (and some really old clients have already stopped syncing just more ongoing casualties of out-dated software). <--- We are here.
  • Third phase a drop-dead date will be announced.

From here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/147884-evernote-desktop-version-5836507-yes-i-know-just-stopped-syncing-any-ideas/?do=findComment&comment=703064

A belabored and delayed update (see quoted content above):

• Third phase a drop-dead date will be announced. <--- We are here.
  • Like 4

Hrmmm - Also -- looking back over previous threads and stuff it really seems to me like Bending Spoons tried to warn people as best they could (without bending over backwards too far anyways).

Legacy software was awesome for many. v10 software is awesome for many. Legacy is going away and it's sad for those that really depend on it. /end (of my two cents)

• Like 5

So again more drama with EN for Windows today.  V10 & Legacy both installed & running.

Legacy stops syncing again, check V10 & it's automatically downloaded an update (with no options other than to 'relaunch to install').  Restarting V10 then proceeds to uninstall Legacy even though I answered NO to using the 'Evernote Cleanup Utility'.

V10 now running latest vers, can't find way to disable auto-updates.

Reinstall Legacy & all my option settings have been reset to defaults.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Reinstall Legacy & all my option settings have been reset to defaults.

If you are planning on running Legacy and v10 side-by-side,  you're also prolonging your own suffering,  because v10 wants notes in one format and Legacy uses another.  Both apps will spend time converting notes opened in one app into the format compatible with the other.  Just sayin.. 

• Like 2
Em 28/02/2024 at 08:33, zeknife disse:

On the one hand they limited notebooks and notes but on the other they released several features for free users:

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Sonali Choudhary said:

Hi,  I lost all my notes when upgrading to latest app.   Can you please help me get the data back from the cloud

Hi.  "Losing" notes either means you didn't give the new install long enough to set itself up on your device,  or you made a mistake when logging back in and accidentally created a new account.  Actual loss is very unlikely.  Please try signing in at Evernote.com (use the 'forgot password' link if necessary) to see your notes on the server.

15 minutes ago, ferol said:

In my shortlist for testing: Notion, Capacities, AnyType, Mem.Ai. Looking only for free(mium) versions. Discarded Obsidian and Joplin because they demand Mark Down editing (Joplin has also a WYSIWYG editor but limited). Like you I have been learning new ways to use the apps e will have to rechoose functions I may use in one only or several apps.

Oh, and I had already come across Toolfinder site and that post.

BR

JPaz

My latest update is 10.78.2, and I am running OS 10.13.6, High Sierra. Will it still work after March 24, 2024?

Also, the last update screwed up, the formatting of many notes, including numbering. In addition, the left side went white, instead of the dark color, which was much better for viewing. Is there a way to go back to dark?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MusicWiz said:

In addition, the left side went white, instead of the dark color, which was much better for viewing. Is there a way to go back to dark?

Currently no unless you use dark mode.  You are not alone in wanting the left pane to be dark again.

Evernote version 10 consistently updates my notes every time I open a note on my app, which has become quite bothersome so you guys claim it was a bug but it's more than that obviously!

Consequently, I find myself no longer using the mobile app due to these frustrations but I have to sometimes like this evening whilst out  I was searching for a receipt I knew for certain I had saved, but upon attempting to access it through the app, the note was BLANK. However, when I arrived home, opened the note, and reviewed the history, I was able to re-import it!

This situation worries me big time and I must stress the urgency for the developers to address these issues with their application promptly. The current state of affairs with Evernote is simply unacceptable.

I'm telling you I don't know how I'm going to survive without the ability to change the updated date stamp. Ahh, I personally just want to headbutt something

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, KoZz said:

This situation worries me big time and I must stress the urgency for the developers to address these issues with their application promptly. The current state of affairs with Evernote is simply unacceptable.

Please open a support ticket we are mainly just users here.  Also please consider maybe not using the white text on black background when posting. It is difficult, at least for me, to read.

v10 EN does NOT work on my ancient 8.1 OS. which is also not supported by MS. so... rather than waste any more time trying to get something to work that will not. I will wait until EN fails to work. then unistall. and use EN web.. What i do not like is being forced to buy a new PC that is unsupported, when the PC is in perfect working order. AND then learn of a total abandonment of Pre v10 EN.. and TOLD to update to V10 even though it does NOT work.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

Please open a support ticket we are mainly just users here.  Also please consider maybe not using the white text on black background when posting. It is difficult, at least for me, to read.

Text corrected I'm using Dark reader plug in and sometimes I cannot tell the difference i've made the text normal

Support won't address anything I'll email them again but to no avail....... they've also change their support structure!

On 2/27/2024 at 7:15 PM, KoZz said:

it's supposed to be then to find it's been updated.. however, simple fix, I correct the updated field , sync .. done....  

Evernote had better not update the modify field when nothing was updated. Then you don't have to manually access a system-used field which is never a good idea.

4 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Evernote had better not update the modify field when nothing was updated. Then you don't have to manually access a system-used field which is never a good idea.

It's update notes all the time for no flipping reason man! It's really annoying.. Right now with Legacy I can go and update, I don't want old notes appearing at the top of the list because the system decides to flag it as updated.. How on earth you guys are dealing with this nonsense is beyond me, because trust me, it can't just be me this is affecting..

4 minutes ago, KoZz said:

I don't want old notes appearing at the top of the list because the system decides to flag it as updated

Exactly, that's why you sort by 'modified' date.

5 minutes ago, KoZz said:

How on earth you guys are dealing with this nonsense is beyond me, because trust me, it can't just be me this is affecting..

I think you misunderstood me. Flagging a note as 'updated' when nothing has updated simply is a bug (and a very annoying one at that). Ruins my timeline completely.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, MusicWiz said:

My latest update is 10.78.2, and I am running OS 10.13.6, High Sierra. Will it still work after March 24, 2024?

Also, the last update screwed up, the formatting of many notes, including numbering. In addition, the left side went white, instead of the dark color, which was much better for viewing. Is there a way to go back to dark?

10.78.2 is the current version of Evernote. I don't know anything about Mac operating systems, but on general principles that version of Evernote will continue operating. It's only v. 7 (on Mac) that will quit working on March 23.

WRT the appearance, you're seeing some effects of the new upgrading/degrading of the user interface that is being applied to v. 10 desktop apps. First thing to do is go to Settings > Note, scroll down, and select under Note width "Fit to window" instead of "Optimize readability," which does pretty much the opposite by adding a bunch of space on the left and right margins. The all-white all-over is part of the "Modern" or whatever it's called design movement that dislikes contrast, since contrast makes it possible to, you know, read things and find things. Uck; but we're stuck with it. It's actually got more contrast than when it first came out a few weeks ago. You can report your impressions here: https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback.

If fixing the note width doesn't unscramble your numbering, say some more about that--maybe start a separate thread to get it some attention. A screenshot might help. *** EDIT *** I just saw a post in another thread that also talks about scrambled numbering after getting the new UI. Take a look here:

I'm also a legacy user. v10 is much more worse than the legacy app. It is slow compared to legacy app and not practical like legacy app. And it's not possible for me to use the app on mobile. It is either toooo slow or doesn't sync the notes well. 

It might be an option for new versions to make user able to customize the features that they want to use and make the interface more lean. 

Another thing is there is no default font size. 

I already started to think to move my note app to another note application. This can be done via make.com

• Like 4

I really do not understand why you don't publish a legacy version with more safety? I think you cannot just afford this. This company looks like a sinking ship to me. I feel like I need to move away with my notes before it sinks.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, jpaz said:

In my shortlist for testing: Notion, Capacities, AnyType, Mem.Ai. Looking only for free(mium) versions. Discarded Obsidian and Joplin because they demand Mark Down editing (Joplin has also a WYSIWYG editor but limited). Like you I have been learning new ways to use the apps e will have to rechoose functions I may use in one only or several apps.

Oh, and I had already come across Toolfinder site and that post.

BR

JPaz

Options as a Legacy Evernote Free user. What to do? 
  1. (if possible) Keep using Legacy version and back up notes manually
  2. Move to New version and adapt it to my use
  3. Find and move to another app if successfully replaces Evernote (or even has added value) 
  4. Use Evernote and other app

I have been exploring alternative apps. First conclusion: Boy, so many things my good old Evenote is not able to do... 

BR

• Like 1
7 horas atrás, onrb disse:

I really do not understand why you don't publish a legacy version with more safety? I think you cannot just afford this. This company looks like a sinking ship to me. I feel like I need to move away with my notes before it sinks.

If Evernote did this it would go back to the past where there was a different version for each platform. v10 came to unify this and make everything the same on all devices. Maintaining the legacy goes against all their planning and business plan (in addition to the security issues already mentioned)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Because I've got so much time invested into my curated notes in EN I'm trying to give V10 another chance, but I continue to be appalled by the way BS is handling it.

1) Automatic V10 updates without ability to disable (as posted earlier).  Doesn't anyone remember how much time & pain they caused us with that mentality a few years ago when they started using paying customers as beta-testers for a completely unusable V10?  That's when they lost my trust.  Again, most of us use the app as a tool that works to help make our lives better, not as free software testers to provide feedback on features that don't.  I need the ability to turn off updates until I am ready to install them.

2) Their statement about 1% of users still using Legacy that I said was bull$#it.  Just to put that absurdly low number into context, consider how many people voluntarily upgrade to the latest Windows vers every time MS upends our lives with that lovely business model.  I read recently that Win11 has only been adopted by ~30% of Win10 users. We can apply that obvious reluctance to change (for many reasons) back to any previous Win vers.

3) I would like to know if those select few of you who continue to defend & promote EN V10 here have a vested interest in this company/app?  And if not, perhaps you can agree that some of us have spent millions of hours developing & using Legacy into our lives in ways that you may not have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't know what you're doing with the automatic updates. For me, those updates in the last few months have really pushed the app forward...
And the update doesn't take that extremely long...

I just see it offering me an update and I start it whenever I know I'm going to go off Evernote for a while now... and done..

• Like 2

I stand corrected in my wording: V10 just notifies users that an update has been downloaded & will be installed next time the app is 'relaunched'.ENv10autoupdatefeb29.jpg.d168a0b3b34fd8be4e882f6d2129f3ed.jpg

It then proceeds to force us to 'Accept' their Clean Up Utility.ENv10autoupdatefeb29v10_78.2.jpg.02210156c0bd29aedd0dabd4d64f6a8e.jpgENv10autoupdatefeb29uninstalledlegacy.jpg.90a459c7243cf2336ec5edbb266e3398.jpg

And even if you click 'No' it still uninstalls Legacy & forces users to reinstall & reconfigure it.ENv10autoupdatefeb29uninstalledlegacyNO.jpg.d59b1f13c21bca9bdb683ce8c5a445b6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

And even if you click 'No' it still uninstalls Legacy & forces users to reinstall & reconfigure it

I get that this bothers you, but as you know they are turning off the service for Legacy later this month.  They are not expecting, or wanting anyone to install legacy now. Why is this surprising?

• Like 1

@enfan-01 V10 just notifies users that an update has been downloaded & will be installed next time the app is 'relaunched'.

Does anyone have details how this works?

I struggled with the Microsoft Store version. Based on advice gotten here in the forum, I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version directly from the website (V10.77.3). Since than, my instance doesn't offer any updates. Even if I explicitly check the Help menu, it says: this is the latest version.

But on the website the latest is 10.78.2 and there was a 10.78.1, too.

I am not getting these at all.

1 minute ago, Razmataz said:

I am not getting these at all.

In-app and store updates can take a week to filter through to everyone and in the meantime another release may come out. 

The website download page always has the latest version so if you want it quicker grab it from there.  

• Like 2

Thanks Jon. I understand the issue with the stores. But why does the in-app update take a week, if the website is updated? This is strange. isn't it?

13 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

But why does the in-app update take a week, if the website is updated? This is strange. isn't it?

I think there's a couple of reasons. One is EN has millions of users and having them all start a download within a few hours of each other would need to be managed. Some of the updates arrive European time so when USA wakes up there's a huge influx.

The other is if there's a big bug they can pull the update and the bug would effect a smaller percentage of users. I think this has hapened a couple of times, once when RTE was being rolled out.

If there are big bugs then a slower rollout would also stop support being inundated within hours.

• Like 2