Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Mac only: You can easily import your ENEX to Eaglefiler which is completely local if you wish and still syncs e.g. via Synology drive (tags and xattrs preserved) or other personal cloud services (owncloud, nextcloud). 

I did that with some 22000 notes, most of them with large attachments (ca. 80 GB in total) without any issues (ok, had an issue with German umlauts but got a patched version if Eaglefiler within 2 hrs (!!!)).

The point is to keep the data out of the cloud.

Obsidian solves the problem.

2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

It's free.  That's the one.  After you uninstall, reinstall using the download from the Evernote site, and not from the Apple Store.  Also give it a few days to get your database downloaded, and hopefully this will take care of most of the problems you were seeing.

I guess my question is, what happens here, does the whole database get downloaded on each machine that I did (3 macs)?... Because I'm not seeing any huge download on my router at all, is this a trickle? And is it the whole database to each machine? (I hope so, and I hope that it speeds up each machine immensely, because it's so slow right now)... (before up cleaner and reinstalls)...

(And I guess that means I need to leave my laptops on all night all day for a few days? And how do I know when it's done?)

• Level 5

It will download a full copy on each Mac. I think currently more users than usual compete for bandwidth, which slows down the download. Eventually it will be complete.

Let the app running while the computer is on. It will download while in the background.

You can check in the activity monitor. When the app is not in active use, but there is still ongoing network traffic, the download is still going on. Once it is complete, keeping it updated will be near instantaneous.

We would like to get a download indicator similar to the one in the mobile client. No idea if this will happen one day..

13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It will download a full copy on each Mac. I think currently more users than usual compete for bandwidth, which slows down the download. Eventually it will be complete.

Let the app running while the computer is on. It will download while in the background.

You can check in the activity monitor. When the app is not in active use, but there is still ongoing network traffic, the download is still going on. Once it is complete, keeping it updated will be near instantaneous.

We would like to get a download indicator similar to the one in the mobile client. No idea if this will happen one day..

Thanks...

Are you talking about the Mac Activiy Monitor, or is there also one in the Mac App that I'm failing to see?

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The one MacOS offers (or anything similar, several apps do the same).

Thanks...

I thought so, but just wanted to be sure

3 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Thanks...

I thought so, but just wanted to be sure

So "Evernote Helper" is the one to watch, right?

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 8.47.36 PM.png

On 4/1/2024 at 12:57 AM, mackid1993 said:

Evernote v10 does it reliably as well, not sure why it doesn't for you. I have Evernote on 3 laptops, a headless VM, and a second work account on my work desktop and don't have any of the issues you've described. The problems you face are not the norm and I highly suggest you report issues to support. The only thing I can think of is conversion issues related to coming from Legacy. Moving from Legacy is known to significantly slow things down for quite a while until all notes are converted which only happens when a note is opened.

this is hillarious!
I'm ROFLing

ok.
go ahead and continue to use it :-)
but do not cry if you lose important pieces of your data

On 4/2/2024 at 4:14 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I will take it that you mean something like "misleading" and not intentionally "deceiving." I'll accept being called many things here, but not a liar.

Everything I said was true. I did not say Evernote would be as fast Legacy. The Electron framework it's built on is the obvious and well-known primary cause of v. 10 being slower. If all you want is speed, then yes, v. 10 is less valuable. If having notes appear identically on multiple platforms (not just Windows or Mac machines only) is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. If having the same formatting functions across platforms is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. If having highly similar interfaces across platforms is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. (No tabs on Mac, no color-coded notebooks on Windows, but a Home page dashboard everywhere.) If having updates delivered promptly is of value to you, then v. 10 is better. (I invite anyone complaining about bug fixes being slow to read the forums for the pre-10 versions in 2018 and 2019.) If having the developers be able to concentrate on solidifying existing features and improving on new ones is of value to you, then v. 10 is better--better, surely, than having multiple teams of programmers adapting new features to multiple platforms in multiple codebases, as multiple bugs accumulate on each of them.

Again: if all you want is speed, Legacy will be missed. If you only ever wanted to work on one or two Windows machines, then Legacy was better than v. 10. But AFAIK Evernote was never intended for that limitation, but to be a tool to work with on multiple platforms, and that is what Electron, despite its drawbacks, facilitates.

my experience with v10 is totally different.
that is why i do not believe you.
you look like PR guy here.

electron in NOT necessary slow, check obsidian, it's a lightning speed in comparison to v10

On 4/1/2024 at 2:05 AM, PinkElephant said:

The problem with 7.14: Since it came out, nothing more happened with it. It was the only legacy client using 64Bit code. Since the code sharing with other clients was zero, it was released - and forgotten.

Meanwhile the world kept spinning, competition innovating. That’s the way you ruin any service - by behaving as if you had „the perfect product“. History told otherwise …

people use hammer for thousands of years
and it is still very important tool and manufactures still has a profit on hammers

legacy was a cool solid rock hammer
v10 is like chineese plastic fake

• Like 2
10 hours ago, s2sailor said:

V10 is server based only.  It only knows about what has been synced with the server.  It does not know about any notes that you may have had unsync'd.  If you still have legacy installed then you can export the notes that weren't synced and then reimport them into v10/

which means that BS team DOES NOT care about user data and smooth migration.
BS can only request 1.7x more money.

10 hours ago, ildar170975 said:

The Legacy does not login after startup... May be I did smth wrong. Probably I should have export the unsynced notes BEFORE installing v.10. Life is a pain.

if you have legacy database directory intact
then try to open you .exb files with any SQLlite tools
for example DB Browser for SQLite

10 hours ago, stevecu said:

Honestly, I just wish I'd gotten the email warning. 

I knew it was unlikely that v10 would ever reach feature parity, but I had no Idea they were going to just kill legacy like this. 

I assume my warning got caught in an email filter. But this has really screwed me. My Legacy install got wiped by the v10 "upgrade" (my bad for anticipating that). Now I have a huge Evernote Archive file that I can't open without letting v10 put it back into the cloud (stuff I made local after the last security breach).

Any Ideas? Or is this thread just for ranting now? 

Rant, rant rant. I'm mad too.

try to check C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases\<name>.exb 
if file still there, just try to open it with with any SQLlite explorer tool

Does v10 use a ton more hard drive than v7 legacy??

My two macs are now saying low space!

TONS of files under ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/resource-cache/...

• Level 5

V10 uses about the same amount of data as legacy. It uses it’s own data structure. There will be one folder for each note, in a huge directory. This in itself doesn’t take up more space than the database used by legacy.

If you still have the legacy data saved, you now have the data twice on the drive.

There is the option to change the location of the database file to another drive. This should be permanently connected, and have a good performance (no turning disk drive, no SD card).

If you are short on memory, check if there is still legacy data on the drive, and get rid of it.

You can as well turn off the space warning in EN settings. However if you are really short of space, this is obviously no solution 

9 hours ago, stevecu said:

That's why I mentiined these, all are self hosted locally.

Could anybody tell me what we can do to bring Legacy back?

Is there any chance they will hear us and will do something about it?

That's 100% clear that most of the users don't like the new version and want the old one (Legacy) back!

• Level 5

It is 💯 % dead. I am pretty sure the guys in the engine room are already busy dismantling all that is left.

I doubt that your claim of „most of the users“ is founded by any data. I am for example happy that they abandoned this black hole of a product platform some years ago and now finally pulled the plug on this dead weight.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is 💯 % dead. I am pretty sure the guys in the engine room are already busy dismantling all that is left.

I doubt that your claim of „most of the users“ is founded by any data. I am for example happy that they abandoned this black hole of a product platform some years ago and now finally pulled the plug on this dead weight.

I'll live with it, as long as BS now goes CRAZY and uses the resources and simplification to fix the myriad of problems!

I completely agree with you Alxa

I kept spare Imac solely to be able to run Evernote 7.14. 

For my use, I thought the design was better and the functionality on simple things like changing dates of note creation was preferable. I also got fewer errors when opening PDFs. 

Evernote, for those simple folk like me, who just want a basic note package, Please can you reinstate the old style functionality? 

(and PinkElephant, I really dont need your tuppence worth as to why I am wrong to want this) 

• Like 1

Hello, I was away from work so upgraded today

Does it need the Internet to work? I can't save emails unless online

Searching for notes when offline lots are missing (are they still syncing)? 

Due to the nature of my work and IT security I have to be off line quote a lot so if this product needs an internet connections for basic operation I can't use it 

• Level 5
19 hours ago, stevecu said:

Obsidian solves the problem.

I'll probably be really sorry for this, but I want to ask a question out of curiosity: if what people want is locally stored documents, including scanned receipts, that can be searched, why use Evernote? Wouldn't Windows search, or some more sophisticated indexing system, do just as well? As I understand it, Evernote was intended for syncing across multiple devices and platforms, but offered local-only notebooks for a long time. Why they stopped I don't know, so I'm not defending it. I just wonder what the advantage of using it for this was.

• Level 5
15 hours ago, MDA13 said:

my experience with v10 is totally different.
that is why i do not believe you.
you look like PR guy here.

electron in NOT necessary slow, check obsidian, it's a lightning speed in comparison to v10

Your experience is different. Therefore other people are lying PR guys. Fortunately, you're not a troll, or I'd be annoyed. I'll yield to other people's experience with Obsidian. Frankly, I don't care. But I expect to have my own experience respected too.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Stephen CM said:

I kept spare Imac solely to be able to run Evernote 7.14. 

….. 

Evernote, for those simple folk like me, who just want a basic note package, Please can you reinstate the old style functionality ?

The first part of the statement means not only running obsolete software, but keeping an old OS as well. Modern releases of MacOS kill legacy all by themselves.  Monterey is the last old MacOS that still receives patches until end of 2024 - Ventura already creates problems with 7.14.

The second part provokes a question: What is your business model for that „basic note package“ ? 

The Mac comes loaded with Apple Notes, which became better with every yearly release. It covers all „basic note“ jobs, plus some. It is completely free, supported and updated regularly. There is no „basic note“ market any more, between this and some open source offers. EN is a business, not a charity.

Hello Pink Elephant, 
I suspected you would want to comment on my post. 

I am essentially paperless. All paperwork is scanned, shredded and stored in EN. I have paid for the full subscription for over 10 years. I dont think that Sonoma is dramatically better than the earlier operating systems. They are incrementally a little better. But sadly EN has lost its way a little and is losing subscribers as a result. Just look at the  reviews. 

I very much hope the new management can get things back on track.

I will continue to use EN as it does what I need and there is a familiarity . But it's incrementally adding features I dont need and removing ones I do. Thats it.

Sometimes, like cars, the older ones can be preferable. I still like EN version 7 

• Like 2
4 horas atrás, George55555555534 disse:

That's 100% clear that most of the users don't like the new version and want the old one (Legacy) back!

There's nothing to do

No

You must be right but the legacy will not return. Furthermore, I believe that the new version will improve and in 1 or 2 years we will have a better Evernote than today.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just wonder what the advantage of using it for this was.

Search was performed across local and synced documents as well as all other notes, on a prime device.  Worked for me in the day as I only needed access to confidential documents when I was at a specific PC.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

There's nothing to do

No

You must be right but the legacy will not return. Furthermore, I believe that the new version will improve and in 1 or 2 years we will have a better Evernote than today.

As Keynes said, The market can remain irrational longer than the individual can remain solvent.  In this world EN do not have the luxury of 1-2 years to play with. 

But if a smart team thought that they could replicate the best of EN, ie the feel of the older versions then there clearly is a ready market of disgruntled EN subscribers. I would certainly consider investing in that startup. 

There is potentially a great business here.

• Level 5

@fuchsfr This assumption is too stupid to even talk about it.

My hint is simply that your habit of serial bombing a forum thread does nothing to promote a discussion. You think you produce usable forum content by dropping 5 and more posts in a row into a single thread ?

No, you don't produce anything useful. You just make every thread you expose to your blogging unreadable and unusable for a regular discourse.

Edit: Posts in between were removed, changing the sequence of postings. Recipient added for clarity.

• Level 5*

Please can I have the LAST word on this?  It's not worth arguing here about the relative merits of third part products or lamenting the sad demise of Legacy.  Everyone is entitled to their own - hopefully brief - opinion.  Once stated,  please move on!

• Like 6

I can open attachments and see shortcuts, but my Android app was not synced. It remained unsynced, with newer notes not appearing, until I opened Evernote on laptop! Meanwhile Evernote on iPad was correctly synced. This is a little troubling I have to admit.

• Level 5
Just now, justacat said:

I can open attachments and see shortcuts, but my Android app was not synced. It remained unsynced, with newer notes not appearing, until I opened Evernote on laptop! Meanwhile Evernote on iPad was correctly synced. This is a little troubling I have to admit.

Might be good to post this to the Android forum, since this thread is drifting a little: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/718-evernote-for-android-issues-versions-100-and-above/.

28 minutos atrás, testYYer disse:

We need to keep legacy alive. v10 is obsolete. 

This reminds me of the theories about Elvis Presley's death. He died in 1977 but there are people who still think he is alive. They simply cannot accept the idea that death comes to everyone and that Elvis was not special. After all, he was just a human, a mortal like the rest of us. It seems the same thing is happening with legacy.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, testYYer said:

We need to keep legacy alive. v10 is obsolete. 

The patient died last week.  The funeral is over and "most" of the mourners have left.  Please close the door on your way out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would be very interested in financially contributing to a startup of programmers who used Legacy as their model for a new system.  V10 is so utterly F***c'd up that I can't even right-click to copy the name of a tag anymore.  Obviously, by the activity in this & other related threads, there are many MANY people who depended on EN for more than just a grocery list & we aren't here simply complaining about minor nuisances.  I was on a job site yesterday & couldn't even access attachments in my notes that I needed.

Please keep offering your workarounds, alternatives & ideas to those of us who care & actually need an app like Legacy!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If you lot spent half as much time on actually being productive as you do on scheming to resurrect a Zombie app you could be twice as efficient...  and given that most of the start-ups seem to have spent at least a couple of years getting their initial code together,  your chances of developing some thing new (that actually works as you want it to) seem quite low.  Still good luck to you all.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you lot spent half as much time on actually being productive as you do on scheming to resurrect a Zombie app you could be twice as efficient...  and given that most of the start-ups seem to have spent at least a couple of years getting their initial code together,  your chances of developing some thing new (that actually works as you want it to) seem quite low.  Still good luck to you all.

Well written... Evernote Legacy is NEVER coming back. It had many features/performance/non-bugs I loved in the past....... v10 is the future OR I have to find another tool. I choose to stick around, until Evernote scores 9 out of 10 again for me. 6 out of 10 right now...3 out of ten a year ago.... So I spend my energy in writing good written, reproducible reports for bugs and desires. Some get honored, some don't.  When I leave? I stop that. Will I leave? Not yet. Half happy now.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, VincentC said:

And, might I add, @MvdH, you write those reports in a respectful manner, which we could use a lot more of around here!  Thanks for that.

Vinnie

Correct. Thank you for that appreciation. I dare to claim: Anger is ALWAYS a recflection of your own inability. Anger ALWAYS hurts reaching your goals more than it helps to reach them. Ergo, friendlyness, relaxedness, willingness,  will help you more to get to your goals more focused than any other feeling you embed in your requests. You might NOT reach your goal, however, in anger and frustration you will ALWAYS reach less of your goal. I bow to you my @VincentC fellow-human-being.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, enfan-01 said:

I would be very interested in financially contributing to a startup of programmers who used Legacy as their model for a new system.  V10 is so utterly F***c'd up that I can't even right-click to copy the name of a tag anymore.  Obviously, by the activity in this & other related threads, there are many MANY people who depended on EN for more than just a grocery list & we aren't here simply complaining about minor nuisances.  I was on a job site yesterday & couldn't even access attachments in my notes that I needed.

Please keep offering your workarounds, alternatives & ideas to those of us who care & actually need an app like Legacy!

Respectfully and SADLY, I just can't take this v10 much more, just SO many UNBELIEVABLE problems.  I'm going to start looking at and testing Obsidian. Is there a good A-Z that's NOT on this forum?  (I'm afraid this forum or (healthy) discussion may get shut down, so having it elsewhere would be a better idea (or at least duplicated elsewhere)...

Just now, FredJ said:

Respectfully and SADLY, I just can't take this v10 much more, just SO many UNBELIEVABLE problems.  I'm going to start looking at and testing Obsidian. Is there a good A-Z that's NOT on this forum?  (I'm afraid this forum or (healthy) discussion may get shut down, so having it elsewhere would be a better idea (or at least duplicated elsewhere)...

I you keep that balanced tone of voice, multiple people in this forum WILL help you. Nothing will be shut down. I've seen multiple posts on moving to Obsidian in this forum which are friendly, reasonable, helpful, etc..  😘🙏🤗

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

Moderator are suppose to: to make or become less extreme, intense, rigorous, or violent.

Some complain I don't moderate enough, and some think it is too much.  Since I'm getting complaints on both ends, I guess I'm doing about the right amount of moderation, which is very light considering some of the posts we have here.

Not to inject their own opinion and shut down a thread.

Well, there is no fun in that, and if you noticed, the thread wasn't locked.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

V10 is so utterly F***c'd up that I can't even right-click to copy the name of a tag anymore. 

If you would be asking how one can copy the name of a tag (or several, btw) in v10 we would be happy to help you getting that insight.

This way I can only tell you to find out yourself. We usually share stuff like that freely and openly here. But I am fed up with fellow users who just come here to document their ignorance, and blame others for it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@CalS we dedicate a lot of time here, without getting any benefit apart from helping others, and learning ourselves from what is posted. There is a difference between not knowing, and not knowing and using this as a false argument, to produce an image of general deficiencies out of it. One is ignorance, the other polemic hiding as ignorance.

If somebody is unhappy with what he gets, he shall grab his stuff and leave.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

I deleted an unhelpful post here.  While everyone is entitled to their own opinion,  sometimes it's better not to put them online.

• Like 4
On 4/2/2024 at 4:16 PM, fuchsfr said:

if your fine with the format of the import then you are done.

I wanted the original date on the bottom of the doc and tags on the second line, not in properties, so YARLE allowed me to do that.  

If you are interested I'll DM you my config file

After, more thought and investigation. I think I'm going to have to move all of my EN data over to some other platform - probably Obsidian. So yeah, if you would DM me...

I'm going to put some effort into recreating my scanning workflow using Brother iPrint & Scan and Obsidian. That is mainly all I've been using EN for and it's silly to continue paying. I may even be able to get a partial refund.

Getting this thread back to topic.

Here is my experience after about a month use of the new version. Still not feeling home as in Legacy, but feeling more homely than before. No problem in moving to new version. Only strange thing: the android version is not reproducing faithfully all the embedded tags of Windows version.

What I am linking the most in new version: collapsible headers

What I am missing the most: the shortcuts top bar. Being in a different place made it more intuitive to differentiate from the tags.

Frankly, I was rather critical but keeping an open mind, IN MY CASE I am more unless satisfied (knock on wood) and not moving to an alternative note taking app.

Here is my updated comparison:

Features not present in New Version or better managed in Legacy Version (Free Account)
New or better features in New Version (Free Account)
  • no top toolbar 4 shortcuts
  • faster then new version  reported but not experienced, only sometimes freezes
  • no color tags (workaround with emojis)
  • filters take too much space when applied
  • two clicks to open EN from taskbar icon (really annoying)
  • hover on tags does not open search tags, we have to click
  • Search Tags keyboard shortcut not available Legacy was Shift + Alt + T
  • Tags icon should be after shortcuts not at the bottom
  • too much options only in More editing toolbar except in expanded note
  • less fonts
  • less font colours
  • less settings control
  • notes in local computer, not only online (works offline if logged in before and syncs after); solved: there is option to keep local copy of Evernote database
  • more visible space (snippet view 6 vs 4 notes; side list 24 vs 15 notes) partially solved: by View zoom setting

• collapsible headers
  • nice colors fresh green and blue
  • more highlight colours
  • strikethrough completed checklist items (although no option to go to bottom of list)
  • recent notes list
  • editable keyboard shortcuts
  • embed youtube videos
  • collapsible left side bar
  1. still in doubt to keep visible: access tags but less space interface and less visible tags
  2. X (using this option) click to open search tags: need to find tag icon and hover or click
  • uniform interface in multiples OSs
  • tasks in notes

Here is a list of what I would like to have in Evernote, that some competitors have (not discussing general pertinence but ordered by my pertinence) :

MISSING

1. inline tagging (tag only part of note)
  2. columns
  3. transclusion (preferably editable)
  4. links to tags in notes
  5. canva view (like Onenote or Obsidian, notes mindmap)
  6. graph view
  7. TOC (workaround possible)
  8. embed wepages

BR

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

2 moderators liked the above. You guys encourage this bad behavior. 

image.png.27294d5e829504ce157fec8308cf23d7.png

I was actually complementing his return to good behavior.  The post showed PE's attitude of the past.  PE went down a dark road with all the provocation and pejorative language that landed in these last months.  He was definitely as acerbic as were the posts to which he responded.  When character questioning starts to creep in it's hard to move on I suppose, I thought this was a step forward.  

End of the day, It's only software.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

we dedicate a lot of time here, without getting any benefit apart from helping others, and learning ourselves from what is posted. There is a difference between not knowing, and not knowing and using this as a false argument, to produce an image of general deficiencies out of it. One is ignorance, the other polemic hiding as ignorance.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, fuchsfr said:

WOW you are biased

I point out that you are trying to making money off of your EV knowledge and you delete it.

You leave up posts that highly disrespectful.

When I point out your complicity, in a respectful way you delete it.

It's not opinion when you are trying to sell service to be productive with Evernote.

Delete this note an I will raze hell with BS until they revoke your moderator status.

Moderate or Sell, trying to do both will compromise both.

I probably shouldn’t quote this *****.

If I do it is just to document your continued egocentricity in approaching this forum. You tried to convert it into your personal blogging platform, which I pointed out several times.

I don’t care any more what you mean, you have proven it’s not worth it.

And at least myself am disgusted about your threatening against proven forum moderators. Just go ahead, and I m sure you will get the answer your behavior deserves.

Which is the boot, simple and straightforward.

2 hours ago, jpaz said:

Getting this thread back to topic.

Here is my experience after about a month use of the new version. Still not feeling home as in Legacy, but feeling more homely than before. No problem in moving to new version. Only strange thing: the android version is not reproducing faithfully all the embedded tags of Windows version.

What I am linking the most in new version: collapsible headers

Thanks for this interesting post. Can you tell me about collapsible headers? I haven't discovered them yet.

Also, how are the View zoom settings partially solving the problem - one of the things I hate most about v.10 - of too much padding? I can't figure out how to get more notes in the note list. The font gets smaller but the number of notes doesn't change. I was able to see twice as many in legacy.

I also have had a few problems with the Android version - eg occasional failure to sync.

• Level 5

V10 in general leaves more space between rows of text or information. That’s a general concept from the beginning, and it got more visible with the last UI change.

Personally I like the design, it is easier on the eyes and to work with. When I still had legacy installed (long ago), it always felt cramped when I had a reason to switch back to it.

This is of course a personal preference. You can send feedback at EN, and they issued a special form for UI feedback. I am not sure the second is still working and monitored, but the feedback address is fine to send your opinion.

Feedback about the new UI

• Level 5*

Several off-topic and unhelpful posts were removed.  Folks, if this thread can't stay on track, it may be time to have it locked.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

V10 in general leaves more space between rows of text or information. That’s a general concept from the beginning, and it got more visible with the last UI change.

Personally I like the design, it is easier on the eyes and to work with. When I still had legacy installed (long ago), it always felt cramped when I had a reason to switch back to it.

I have to say, you are the only person I've heard express this opinion. I mostly hear universal disdain for the unnecessary amounts of padding and white space.

But even granting that some users do actually like it this way, there should at least be the option of a more compressed view. On a small device, like an iPad mini, it is a significant drawback if you want to, for example, be able to see as many search results as possible. Scrolling is an inconvenience, adding time and also mentally more difficult as you don't have everything in front of you.

I have already submitted feedback on this point though, and perhaps someone will read it. Right now I'm more interested in what jpaz has done to "partially solve" the problem

• Level 5

You should then listen more closely. This view has been posted repeatedly in this forum, most of the time not by me. Increasing the number of characters per square cm of screen surface is not an indication of a good UI. It is just the opposite, an indication of a lack of ideas and inspiration in creating better software.

But you have got what you need: The feedback options for your opinions.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Increasing the number of characters per square cm of screen surface is not an indication of a good UI. It is just the opposite, an indication of a lack of ideas and inspiration in creating better software.

Opinion methiniks.  Opposite could be said as well.  Form and function do tussle.

Proof in the pudding is how well it fits a use case.  Airy UI's tend not to work as well for search intensive use cases, adding scrolling in lists.  Too much air can cause scrolling in preview as well.

But that's just me.  I'm, sure many others prefer a less dense UI than I.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

OK - I removed another user who seemed to believe that rules did not apply to them.  While we're pretty relaxed about the topics that get tossed around here please can the normal rules of polite grown-up conversation apply?  

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, gazumped said:

OK - I removed another user who seemed to believe that rules did not apply to them.  While we're pretty relaxed about the topics that get tossed around here please can the normal rules of polite grown-up conversation apply?  

Finally! 😃 Incivility pays a price. 

On 4/6/2024 at 10:18 PM, justacat said:

I have to say, you are the only person I've heard express this opinion. I mostly hear universal disdain for the unnecessary amounts of padding and white space.

But even granting that some users do actually like it this way, there should at least be the option of a more compressed view. On a small device, like an iPad mini, it is a significant drawback if you want to, for example, be able to see as many search results as possible. Scrolling is an inconvenience, adding time and also mentally more difficult as you don't have everything in front of you.

I have already submitted feedback on this point though, and perhaps someone will read it. Right now I'm more interested in what jpaz has done to "partially solve" the problem

Hi @justacat

Collapsble headers: you can see them working in this video

Regarding the "less space" problem, in Windows when I choose side list view, I can see 11 notes but when I zoom out I can view 14-15. In Legacy version I could see as many with snippets view 😕

On the other hand, when I search or select a tag, the filter icons takes too much space and I can see only 11 notes 😞 . One more click to hide it if wanted...

BR

On 4/3/2024 at 2:02 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'll probably be really sorry for this, but I want to ask a question out of curiosity: if what people want is locally stored documents, including scanned receipts, that can be searched, why use Evernote? Wouldn't Windows search, or some more sophisticated indexing system, do just as well? As I understand it, Evernote was intended for syncing across multiple devices and platforms, but offered local-only notebooks for a long time. Why they stopped I don't know, so I'm not defending it. I just wonder what the advantage of using it for this was.

Personally, I started using it 12 or 13 years ago when it was new. I don't remember at what point I realized that I could use it as a place to store, search and retrieve all my piles of paper that needed to be filed or shredded or just tossed. 

Using import folders, it became really easy to go through a stack of mail (a week's worth, a month's worth, or many month's worth) and by setting up a folder structure locally and using naming rules in my scanner software (I've gone  through a few scanners since starting) I could easily "process" my mail and shred it knowing that if I needed it later I could find it relatively easily. 

At some point EN was "hacked" so I moved the stuff that worried me to a local only store. 

Now my workflow is broken.  v10 made the process much more cumbersome, legacy restored the simplicity.

I don't want to be too long winded, but that's my story. I'm happy to go on if I haven't satisfied your curiosity ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FredJ said:

Has no one posted ANYTHING here since 22 hours ago?? Or am i just not seeing postings??

@gazumped made a decision to remove a disruptive user from the forums which lead to the deletion of some posts when that user was removed.

See this post: 

19 minutes ago, testYYer said:

The old version is perfect, and the new version has become the worst app ever. 

That's a valid perspective. You make me curious. Could you elaborate a little bit on that? I'm quite curious what your top 3 points are why the new version is worse for you than legacy?

Could you please be concrete, like steps you take, features you miss, why, where the hours of lost time are due to different or missing features, or data loss, or kilo's annoyance in what usage steps, how many times a day, you get my drift.

Looking forward to that, cause I have my own little list. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, FredJ said:

Has no one posted ANYTHING here since 22 hours ago?? Or am i just not seeing postings??

Anything has been said, and now by anybody as well, it seems.

I have never been emotional about an application. I have never hated an application that I have become so dependent on over the years and that I used to love, since the company has now forced me to move to an update so terrible. First I was forced into the update on my iMac, the Legacy version updating without my consent no matter how many times I reinstalled it. Then when I traveled with my older MacBook, I was delighted that the Legacy version still worked, but they stopped letting me use it a couple of weeks ago and I was forced once again into the update, which was terrifying because at first it refused my login credentials. But on this older laptop — if that is the issue at all since I won't know until I return to my iMac — the new version is even more full of bugs, and incredibly slow, and I am miserable. 

Some things about it (I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this):

• When I began using the new version on my iMac, I noticed some of my entries had disappeared, and on a few of my meeting notes, typed word for word from more than hour-long meetings, which are invaluable, the notes had been truncated to only a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs. I can never get them back!
  • I gave notes titles, but they would take minutes or longer to appear in the notes column, still indicating them as untitled.
  • On my laptop: It takes forever to open the program or start a new note. I need to do something quickly and sit waiting for the green circle to stop and the note to fill out.
  • Many things I do take more steps than they used to. For instance, if I do a Search more than once, the program does not show the previous search in the "Recent searches" list, even after I begin retyping it. What it does show seems completely random. It means I have to type out the entire search and add quotes every single time I do the search, which is a nuisance.
  • I have to open a new note before I can do a Search, otherwise the search results disappear. This disrupts my workflow. 
  • I've done a Search and the program has come up with presumed results, except that the term I searched for does not appear in the results.
  • If, after I do a Search and have my results in the notes column, the column disappears and I have to go above to re-open it. And... I can't see the note I have open in the column highlighted in the notes column, which also means I can't see what date it was created or go down the list of results note by note. I have to re-do the search to find it in the list!
  • I've done searches which come up blank when the note I was searching for is right where I can see it. And I've searched, using quotes, for a string, but gotten just one word of the string, which gives an unusable list of many notes.
  • Search for "Ellen" does not turn up "Ellen's."
  • There is no way to look up spelling. If I control-click on a highlighted word, there is no option to look it up in the dictionary.
  • I like to collect information from various sources in the menu bar Quick Note about a topic, but it has a limit on how much it can hold and cuts off at the limit. Later I find out that I did not get all I thought I had and there is no way to find it again — my research is gone! The "Legacy" version had no limit that I ever found.
  • Quick Note in the menu bar is only open when the program is open. I want it open all the time, but there are no settings for it. This means that Quick Note is no longer quick; I have to open the program and then hide it in order to have Quick Note appear in the menu bar. By that time, I have missed out on a Zoom call discussion, even one I am leading, or some other unacceptable issue.
  • Commands I use all the time stop working, then start again later, like Command-V, which I use all the time. (I'm sure we all do.)
  • I hate having the "Press "/" to insert an element" below my text, cluttering up my workspace all the time! 
  • I don't wish to use AI and don't like having its green dots on my page area nor the "AI edit" box. I don't see any way to turn them off. Feels like an invasion.
  • I much preferred having my tags at the top rather than at the bottom.
  • I tried the Control-Command-V shortcut to copy a paragraph from my browser to Evernote in an effort to get around the Quick Note problems, and instead got an error message: "Evernote encountered an unexpected error. Not authorized to send Apple events to Safari." What on earth does that mean? 
  • I tried making an audio note but it had no sound.
  • I hit Command-A in my Quick Note (just now) and nothing happened.
  • Once I was unable to delete a letter by placing my cursor and hitting backspace. 
  • Once I was unable to use the trackpad to click below my text; I had to go back to the last work and hit Return to get to the next line.
  • Recently, I tried to sign in to Evernote on a browser. It put my wrong email address in automatically. Then I put in the right one. It took several times to move to asking for my password. Once it took my password, it took me to a Error!404 page. (in the bar it says maintenancce.evernote.com).
  • Now I can't sign in to Evernote on a browser; it won't accept my email address.
  • Where did the fonts go"???!!!
Edited by treelight
Typo and mistake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, treelight said:

Some things about it (I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this):

I agree 100%, there are too many issues one doesn't even know where to begin complaining with BS.

At least you confirm some of my issues so I am not alone in this BS.

I can only reiterate, try Keep It and Eaglefiler, both are valid replacements for Legacy.

6 horas atrás, treelight disse:

I have never been emotional about an application. I have never hated an application that I have become so dependent on over the years and that I used to love, since the company has now forced me to move to an update so terrible.

Most of the fights around here are related to this. Users defending the legacy (or defending v10) as if it were a God. Evernote is good but it's just another software. If tomorrow it ends, life continues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cristiano478 said:

Most of the fights around here are related to this. Users defending the legacy (or defending v10) as if it were a God.

That's not true. @treelight's post, as most other in this tenor, was about defects and deficiencies of V10. If these were not present orcat least not so numerous, nobody would loose a word about Legacy. Most of us have seen versions come and go, but in my opinion (and I'm in IT since 1987) no update of an essential app has been so disruptive to my work, ever.

Hence the comparisons to Legacy.

1 hour ago, Cristiano478 said:

Most of the fights around here are related to this. Users defending the legacy (or defending v10) as if it were a God. Evernote is good but it's just another software. If tomorrow it ends, life continues.

Hopefully it dies down, honestly it's fatiguing to read. I understand people are upset, but this is what we've got now. Either use it or find an alternative. There's not much that can be done. It works for many, it doesn't work for some. Outside of contacting support to see why strange issues are happening there's nothing that can really be done on the forums here. No amount of venting or debate is going to make legacy work again. Obsidian, Joplin, Notion, Amplenote, NoteJoy are all good cross platform options with pluses and minuses.

As someone sticking with Evernote I'm personally glad the attack surface is reduced with the retirement of old, unpatched services. Really anyone running legacy on their machines was taking a risk by using old unmaintained, unpatched software.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 3/27/2024 at 12:14 PM, KoZz said:

I should have taken a screenshot of the message.. Just a heads up maybe a good idea moving forward to never attempt to open an attached document directly from EN v10.. Download to desktop first and open from there.. why it would delete the PDF which is super important is beyond me... luckily the note history managed to perform a restore and I had a backup anyway but still.. this is the first thing I've tried to do since legacy has died and an instant problem with a legal document that I tried to access which is super important... 

Just moments ago, I encountered the issue with EN while attempting to attach a video clip from my doorbell camera be means of sharing directly to EN. After sharing and uploading the .mp4 file and double-clicking it on the EN desktop client, the message appeared, and the attachment was removed from the note.

This is the message i was referring to before!

image.thumb.png.e146e0e70a95f83bed1fd24591ac781a.png

Interestingly, despite the attachment's brief presence in EN, I was able to restore it by accessing the note's history. It seems odd that the restoration was possible even though the attachment had only been there for a couple of minutes at most. Nonetheless, it's reassuring to know that Evernote provides this recovery option.

Rest assured, I wasn't imagining this occurrence previously! 

4 hours ago, KoZz said:

This is the message i was referring to before!

I am familiar with that window 😞

Today I found several notes that used to contain PDFs that after the step to V10 now are definitely gone, both locally and on the web client. Will check note history on them to see whether a previous version has been saved.

EDIT: note history is empty... Since I edited the title and tagged these notes (which consist only of an attachment and a title) I am sure the attachments existed, I would have noticed an 'unidentified attachment' instantly. Been on Legacy when I clipped the PDFs to Evernote and didn't touch them since August last year so I'm pretty sure the disappearing is V10 related. Never had an 'untitled attachment' with Legacy, ever.

• Sad 1

Before Legacy shut down I exported everything to ENEX files (22.000 notes mostly with PDF attachments, 80 GB).

I just imported my largest notebook into Keep It (7200 notes) and voila, the note with the 'untitled attachment' was right there with the attachment. 

So obviously in the upgrade to V10 the attachment was deleted / corrupted, interestingly without leaving a trace in note history. What bothers me most is that I only accidentally found this note (and a couple of other similarly corrupted) so there is no way to estimate how much is lost and whether important stuff is affected.

Since I never had similar issues with Legacy I suppose V10 cannot be trusted with important stuff. 

Trying to rename the 'untitled attachment' in V10 didn't work either, the name change was simply ignored. I had hoped to bring back the PDF by renaming 'untitled attachment' to something that made more sense.

I had this issue with notes created from a PDF in V10 as well, PDF web clipping a PDF into Evernote also left me with a note without PDF attachment i.e. an 'untitled attachment'. 

But a note that had already been there until recently and then been corrupted is far worse in my opinion.

• Sad 1

In all the many many problems I've had (every day more!), with this "upgrade"... i just realized that yes, i too have missing, and very important PDF clips!  Ho*y sh*t, thanks EN for such an unbelievably bad upgrade!  Now what!  

No, legacy wasn't perfect, but THIS is the craziest FORCED upgrade piece of ***** I've ever experienced (I've been in I.T. since 1980!)

So frustrating!

I'd be working full time for Evernote for free if i was properly testing, proving, and documenting everything!!!

How about at least a public admittance and apology, EN / BS ??

And no, i don't WANT to jump ship!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, FredJ said:

In all the many many problems I've had (every day more!), with this "upgrade"... i just realized that yes, i too have missing, and very important PDF clips!  Ho*y sh*t, thanks EN for such an unbelievably bad upgrade!  Now what!  

It's not an 'upgrade',  it's a completely re-coded application with different features.  All your existing notes should transition to the new database,  and if you have a lot of notes it can take time for that new database to be fully populated.  Meantime large PDF files will take time to download depending on how fast and how busy your network connection might be.

Rather than holding a pity party here,  it would be better to

1. Sign in to Evernote.com to see whether your 'missing' file is present there.  If so,  what you have is a simply a download issue.
  2. If the note is still not found,  check Note History to see whether a previous version of your note includes the PDF
  3. Create a new Forum thread detailing the issue in full,  including your device(s),  plus OS and Evernote version numbers and the size and name of this PDF.
  4. Contact Support* now,  because they may be able to help - but have been taking a long time to react

* This is a mainly user-supported Forum and individual responses from Evernote are extremely rare.  Support will (eventually) deal with you directly.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Rather than holding a pity party here,  it would be better to

I would totally agree,

- if there were only a couple of issues
- if there was a chance to get support within a reasonable amount of time
- if I had enough trust in V10 being at least a reliable base even for important stuff like Legacy definitely was
- if you would spare the rant against users with different experience from your own ('pity party')

As it is I would have to write tickets and answer unrelated support questions all day which I don't have time for.

Luckily I made a complete export to ENEX files right before Legacy stopped syncing, imported everything into EagleFiler and Keep It and will use Evernote only as a static data dump until my subscription expires in November.

Especially Keep It is like a clone to Legacy with added benefits, so I couldn't be more happy and encourage everyone who misses Legacy to give it a spin.

And if something goes wrong I get support repeatedly within a couple of hours including individual modifications to the apps that correct my  issues (found an issue with Eaglefiler with 'umlauts' and received an update within 2 hours (including analysing and recreating my issue, writing a fix and rolling out a beta just for me). 

Of course this kind of support is only possible with a small company, I wouldn't expect BS to react so quickly, but Evernote support has been abysmal not for the last few weeks but for the last few years when it was needed most and that is not something I can't accept with software that is so important to my work.

I see that BS are working to improve things but I have no confidence whatsoever in the code base they acquired so there will probably many more issues popping up. 

Since I now have two viable alternatives that do exactly what Legacy did and much more I will post issues here just for information and if others find them as well BS might react. 

• Level 5

If you expect speedier support: We all do.

If you expect on the fly fixes for any issue you report, and 24/7 development of features you miss: This will not happen. It leads straight into code hell.

We are at least much better off than with legacy, when there were one or two updates in a full year. This meant that any bug fixes needed half a year on average to even show up.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

f you expect on the fly fixes for any issue you report, and 24/7 development of features you miss: This will not happen. It leads straight into code hell.

that's why I wrote:

44 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Of course this kind of support is only possible with a small company, I wouldn't expect BS to react so quickly

• Level 5

As usual you wrote nothing about the abysmal update cycle of legacy - which was a clear sign of a failing company back then, unprofitable and at the brink of being unable to even maintain the existing code.

Still believing that beating it harder would have brought new life to the dead horse ?

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As usual you wrote nothing about the abysmal update cycle of legacy - which was a clear sign of a failing company back then, unprofitable and at the brink of being unable to even maintain the existing code.

What are you talking about? Legacy 7.14 came out in 2019 and worked happily until March 2024 without any further update. 

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Still believing that beating it harder would have brought new life to the dead horse ?

I mainly wrote about loosing data in V10, and there the comparison to Legacy is valid since I never lost data in Legacy. Judging by the many errors that are reported on the forum I am not sure which one is the dead horse anyway 

I wouldn't complain if V10 worked the way it was intended, even with altered functionality. But for me it doesn't and randomly loosing PDFs is not something I can ignore.

You need a 'trusted system' to work with and V10 lost that trust for me. Therefore the switch to Eaglefiler and Keep It which both haven't shown any issues or data loss and both rely on MacOS basic functionality for storage and sync.

1 hour ago, Feitz said:

I would totally agree,

- if there were only a couple of issues
- if there was a chance to get support within a reasonable amount of time
- if I had enough trust in V10 being at least a reliable base even for important stuff like Legacy definitely was
- if you would spare the rant against users with different experience from your own ('pity party')

As it is I would have to write tickets and answer unrelated support questions all day which I don't have time for.

Luckily I made a complete export to ENEX files right before Legacy stopped syncing, imported everything into EagleFiler and Keep It and will use Evernote only as a static data dump until my subscription expires in November.

Especially Keep It is like a clone to Legacy with added benefits, so I couldn't be more happy and encourage everyone who misses Legacy to give it a spin.

And if something goes wrong I get support repeatedly within a couple of hours including individual modifications to the apps that correct my  issues (found an issue with Eaglefiler with 'umlauts' and received an update within 2 hours (including analysing and recreating my issue, writing a fix and rolling out a beta just for me). 

Of course this kind of support is only possible with a small company, I wouldn't expect BS to react so quickly, but Evernote support has been abysmal not for the last few weeks but for the last few years when it was needed most and that is not something I can't accept with software that is so important to my work.

I see that BS are working to improve things but I have no confidence whatsoever in the code base they acquired so there will probably many more issues popping up. 

Since I now have two viable alternatives that do exactly what Legacy did and much more I will post issues here just for information and if others find them as well BS might react. 

"Keep It" only supports Mac / IOS and doesn't even have a web version.  So Evernote has cross platform beat in spades. 

For instance,  I have Macs and iPads, but also Windows and Androids.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, Feitz said:

What are you talking about? Legacy 7.14 came out in 2019 and worked happily until March 2024 without any further update. 

You seem to be backward with updating in general: Since MacOS Ventura legacy 7.14 lost important functionality: The app only opened in a narrow window any more, and shortly after lost the ability to show pdfs inline.

Sure, it was deprecated, so nobody tried to fix it. But it was not the first time legacy narrowly escaped being made obsolete by OS updates. Fun fact: That there IS a version 7 was forced by the fact that Apple removed support for all 32bit code from the OS. That's why they were forced to create that 64bit code version - Windows was stuck at 32bit. A carry over of code from one app to the other was impossible - showing why this app generation as doomed.

8 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Macs and iPads

there is an ipad version for Keep It. Since it uses standard Mac file system and iCloud you can access all notes including tags etc. using 3rd party tools, even on the web (icloud). But of course this is different from having a real cross platform app.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You seem to be backward with updating in general:

How would you know? I had to use V10 on all Sonoma macs but since my main Macbook Pro is from 2015 I stayed with Monterey / Legacy until March. Nothing wrong with Monterey since it is still supported and gets security updates regularly.

But since the demise of Legacy in March thanks to OCLP I now run Sonoma without any issues and V10 with many issues on this MBP. 

Side note: OCLP / Sonoma runs smoothly on older, unsupported macs, in my case a MBP 15"  mid 2015 without ANY issue, so highly recommended.  

3 minutes ago, Feitz said:

there is an ipad version for Keep It. Since it uses standard Mac file system and iCloud you can access all notes including tags etc. using 3rd party tools, even on the web (icloud). But of course this is different from having a real cross platform app.

How would you know? I had to use V10 on all Sonoma macs but since my main Macbook Pro is from 2015 I stayed with Monterey / Legacy until March. Nothing wrong with Monterey since it is still supported and gets security updates regularly.

But since the demise of Legacy in March thanks to OCLP I now run Sonoma without any issues and V10 with many issues on this MBP. 

Side note: OCLP / Sonoma runs smoothly on older, unsupported macs, in my case a MBP 15"  mid 2015 without ANY issue, so highly recommended.  

That's what i was saying... It's Apple only, and also no web.  So it's locked into Apple eco system.  Maybe ok for some, certainly not me.  Some limitations to be aware of, for sure.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Some limitations to be aware of, for sure.

Absolutely. But you can access icloud files from any browser and even from Windows machines if I remember correctly.

KeepIt stores everything on the file system and syncs  through iCloud.

I use finder tags and apps like Leap a lot so being able to access Keep It / former Legacy content from 'outside' is a huge bonus for me.

On 4/8/2024 at 1:56 PM, Feitz said:

I can only reiterate, try Keep It and Eaglefiler, both are valid replacements for Legacy.

Have you looked at / compared Keep It vs. Obsidian? Looks like it stores notes and files in a similar format ie. using the file system and markdown files for notes, but maybe wraps it in a simpler interface (maybe better for lazy people like me).