Evernote legacy ending on 2024-03-23

On 4/10/2024 at 10:38 AM, KoZz said:

image.thumb.png.e146e0e70a95f83bed1fd24591ac781a.png

20 hours ago, Feitz said:

I am familiar with that window 😞

Today I found several notes that used to contain PDFs that after the step to V10 now are definitely gone, both locally and on the web client. Will check note history on them to see whether a previous version has been saved.

EDIT: note history is empty... 

Unfortunately, I too have experienced both issues (on the v10 desktop app for macOS), though I have not experienced either for several months, knock on wood. I've written about them in more detail in the past on these forums, and I've corresponded with Evernote support and particularly with respect to the "untitled attachment" issue have even corresponded with the BS CEO about it.

All I can suggest is to follow the basic troubleshooting steps already mentioned in this thread and then if that fails capture logs and send them into support ASAP. They have supposedly fixed bugs related to this issue over the past year but apparently there are more bugs to fix, and the logs will help. Also, one time they were somehow able to retrieve an attachment from the server even though it no longer appeared in my note history. Best of luck.

• Like 2
18 horas atrás, Feitz disse:

Before Legacy shut down I exported everything to ENEX files (22.000 notes mostly with PDF attachments, 80 GB).

I just imported my largest notebook into Keep It (7200 notes) and voila, the note with the 'untitled attachment' was right there with the attachment. 

So obviously in the upgrade to V10 the attachment was deleted / corrupted, interestingly without leaving a trace in note history. What bothers me most is that I only accidentally found this note (and a couple of other similarly corrupted) so there is no way to estimate how much is lost and whether important stuff is affected.

Have you downloaded v10 recently? If so, perhaps you didn't wait that long for the database to be fully downloaded.

1 hour ago, stevecu said:

Have you looked at / compared Keep It vs. Obsidian?

They are completely different, Keep It and Eaglefiler have similar functionality as Legacy, but use the file system for storage (Mac only), notes are stored as RTF / RTFD. 

This has added benefit, Keep It uses iCloud to sync and Eaglefiler can use any cloud service (including locally hosted). If you need xattr support you can use iCloud, Dropbox or Synology Cloud (on your own NAS) to sync.

You can access your files from outside of both, I like Leap.app a lot. Outside changes are reflected in the apps, tags are standard finder tags, giving you a whole bunch of options over Legacy, tag management especially of Keep It is superb.

Keep It almost looks like Legacy, both apps actually seem to work, support is superb.

For me this is perfect, I just need a reliable notes and attachments storage for documents and files. I already have apps for task management etc. and don't want AI, I have full-text search and tags.

2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

All I can suggest is to follow the basic troubleshooting steps already mentioned in this thread and then if that fails capture logs and send them into support ASAP. They have supposedly fixed bugs related to this issue over the past year but apparently there are more bugs to fix, and the logs will help. Also, one time they were somehow able to retrieve an attachment from the server even though it no longer appeared in my note history. Best of luck.

Thank you, I'll see what I can do.

Problem is a) there was sensitive information some of the files that I found missing and b) I am afraid this is only the tip of the iceberg.

??? Is there a way to search for attachment titles like 'untitled attachment'???

This would help identify affected notes / attachments and see how big the problem actually is. Maybe only a few notes were corrupted, but no way to be sure.

The advanced search options don't list this as an argument..

1 hour ago, Cristiano478 said:

Have you downloaded v10 recently? If so, perhaps you didn't wait that long for the database to be fully downloaded

No, I tried several V10 downloads since some users proposed to wipe and reload, but the last download was several weeks ago and should have finished.

Since the notes are intact in the Legacy ENEX export from before Legacy stopped syncing the attachments should be present at least on the web as well but they are not. So something happened to the attachments after the Legacy export. 

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Does that mean the PDF should be available on the web?

It probably should but isn't. Web version is identical with local version ('untitled attachment').

• Level 5*

FWIW, I've experienced this twice in recent memory.  One time a couple of notes I was trying to access showed "untitled attachment."  I tried sometime later and they were there and viewable.  Another time I emailed a note with an attachment to Evernote.  It showed up with "untitled attachment."  I waited a day and looked again and it still wasn't there.  I emailed the same note to Evernote and it worked correctly this time.  Fortunately, I had no unrecoverable loss of data, but clearly, there is an issue there.  It seems like the attachments are there, but are not displaying for some reason.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Feitz said:

They are completely different, Keep It and Eaglefiler have similar functionality as Legacy, but use the file system for storage (Mac only), notes are stored as RTF / RTFD. 

This has added benefit, Keep It uses iCloud to sync and Eaglefiler can use any cloud service (including locally hosted). If you need xattr support you can use iCloud, Dropbox or Synology Cloud (on your own NAS) to sync.

You can access your files from outside of both, I like Leap.app a lot. Outside changes are reflected in the apps, tags are standard finder tags, giving you a whole bunch of options over Legacy, tag management especially of Keep It is superb.

Keep It almost looks like Legacy, both apps actually seem to work, support is superb.

For me this is perfect, I just need a reliable notes and attachments storage for documents and files. I already have apps for task management etc. and don't want AI, I have full-text search and tags.

So again I guess my question is, does EagleFiler work with Android and Windows too? or is it a completely Apple ecosystem?  Is there an Android client available?

35 minutos atrás, Feitz disse:

??? Is there a way to search for attachment titles like 'untitled attachment'???

This would help identify affected notes / attachments and see how big the problem actually is. Maybe only a few notes were corrupted, but no way to be sure.

The advanced search options don't list this as an argument..

They recently reported on Twitter that they are about to launch a new section in Evernote dedicated to showing only files attached to notes. I imagine it might be useful for searching these pdfs

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

They recently reported on Twitter that they are about to launch a new section in Evernote dedicated to showing only files attached to notes. I imagine it might be useful for searching these pdfs

Yes, I read that too, thought, it was already implemented as a files browser but it wasn't. Let's see...

8 minutes ago, FredJ said:

So again I guess my question is, does EagleFiler work with Android and Windows too? or is it a completely Apple ecosystem?  Is there an Android client available?

EagleFiler is Mac only, unfortunately, Keep It also has an iPad client. 

Since both are storing notes as RTF / RTFD in a standard file-/folder structure, the files along with their (finder) tags can be accessed with 3rd party tools and via browser as well, I use Leap.app a lot. 

This is no alternative to a (working) native Windows or Android client though. But it will do for occasional access.

38 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It seems like the attachments are there, but are not displaying for some reason.

Yes, that's my conclusion also. Unfortunately renaming it does not work, if I commit my name change the dialogue closes but nothing happens. 

image.thumb.jpeg.342689dccfb575765d40ba721d473281.jpeg

1 hour ago, Feitz said:

The thing I noticed, that I was especially intrigued by was the direct import from scanner. 

95% of my use case for Evernote has been scanning documents to PDF, think utility bills and such. Then using import folders to store them in a notebook. 

It looks like Keep It will only be an improvement, assuming I can scan to PDF and they will remain PDF and accessible via finder. 

I mostly Mac and iOS so I don't really mind the lack of Windows support.

• Level 5*

If you haven’t already seen it, search the forum for posts by @CalS.  IIRC his database was mostly pdfs and he rolled his own solution a year or ago that works well for him.  He has posted the details of his new solution.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Feitz said:

It probably should but isn't. Web version is identical with local version ('untitled attachment').

What I figured.  doesn't sound like a download issue, does it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

If you haven’t already seen it, search the forum for posts by @CalS.  IIRC his database was mostly pdfs and he rolled his own solution a year or ago that works well for him.  He has posted the details of his new solution.

27k out of 58k notes had a PDF.  Maybe not most but a bunch.  😊

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Feitz said:

Is there a way to search for attachment titles like 'untitled attachment'? The advanced search options don't list this as an argument...

Not that I know of, unfortunately. Perhaps Evernote support on the back-end have a way but that's pure speculation.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

27k out of 58k notes had a PDF.  Maybe not most but a bunch.  😊

I haven't had any PDF problems so far, but I'd still be interested to know the details of your solution just in case, without having to search through every one of your comments! Could you post a link?

• Level 5*

The below was posted 9 months ago.  One thing I did not include in that post was the fact I now use Workflowy for note taking and task management.  As the thread was just about files.  Up to 8600 "notes" in the Post EN part of the repository now.  So it is scaling just fine.  YMMV.

4 hours ago, Feitz said:

Yes, I read that too, thought, it was already implemented as a files browser but it wasn't. Let's see...

EagleFiler is Mac only, unfortunately, Keep It also has an iPad client. 

Since both are storing notes as RTF / RTFD in a standard file-/folder structure, the files along with their (finder) tags can be accessed with 3rd party tools and via browser as well, I use Leap.app a lot. 

This is no alternative to a (working) native Windows or Android client though. But it will do for occasional access.

Here's a note I just ran into that's missing tons of untitled attachments...

Screenshot_20240411-223113_Evernote.thumb.jpg.9555739a9bc09c9172b043218991985b.jpg

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, FredJ said:

Here's a note I just ran into that's missing tons of untitled attachments...

Screenshot_20240411-223113_Evernote.thumb.jpg.9555739a9bc09c9172b043218991985b.jpg

This seems too bad to be true...

Screenshot_20240411-223805_Evernote.jpg

• Level 5
1 hour ago, FredJ said:

THAT should scare the CR@P out of anybody that has valuable attachments of any sort that were entrusting them to Evernote... Nuts!

Unless they are not experiencing these problems constantly, and when the problems happen they are able to correct them by waiting for a couple of minutes, as @s2sailor indicates in his post, and as I have experienced. I wish I knew why some people seem to experience this constantly, and others scarcely at all. Obviously it affects one's opinion of Evernote! I don't think it is the most common experience (bearing in mind that software forums obviously collect problem reports, not "working fine" reports), but it happens enough that Evernote really does need to at least offer an official explanation of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Unless they are not experiencing these problems constantly, and when the problems happen they are able to correct them by waiting for a couple of minutes, as @s2sailor indicates in his post, and as I have experienced. I wish I knew why some people seem to experience this constantly, and others scarcely at all. Obviously it affects one's opinion of Evernote! I don't think it is the most common experience (bearing in mind that software forums obviously collect problem reports, not "working fine" reports), but it happens enough that Evernote really does need to at least offer an official explanation of it.

Ok, I looked at it again this morning, A few hours later, and everything is there... And my internet was on and I was doing other things the whole time on my Android phone. 

So I'm glad l I got the stuff back but more so that I think I can trust that at least sometimes I can get the stuff back.

So what's the need to take hours? These are small attachments.

Does some process have to take place on the back end to recover these?

I never experience this kind of stuff with v7

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, FredJ said:

So what's the need to take hours? These are small attachments.

You'd have to ask Support - I had the same experience as reported above - on a couple of occasions I've had an attached file show up as 'untitled',  and in one case I downloaded it and added a PDF extension to recover the file,  in another the file name was present when I looked at the note again.

Anything that needs to be downloaded depends on local network traffic at both ends,  and the speed in between - and in Evernote's case there are millions of connected accounts,  so maybe there's still some queuing going on.

58 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You'd have to ask Support - I had the same experience as reported above - on a couple of occasions I've had an attached file show up as 'untitled',  and in one case I downloaded it and added a PDF extension to recover the file,  in another the file name was present when I looked at the note again.

Anything that needs to be downloaded depends on local network traffic at both ends,  and the speed in between - and in Evernote's case there are millions of connected accounts,  so maybe there's still some queuing going on.

Let's hope so, right?  Maybe there's hope for the future...

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The few occasions when I encountered an Untitled Attachment, I solved it by briefly switching to another note, and then come back to the first one. The attachments then showed with title and all, opened and behaved as expected.

But maybe I am just the lucky guy …

7 hours ago, FredJ said:

Ok, I looked at it again this morning, A few hours later, and everything is there..

Lucky you, my attachments seem gone for good. No harm done, I can get them back but this makes me too nervous to trust V10 with anything serious...

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

Maybe it’s because I decided to sink legacy way before RTE launched. If somebody used legacy and v10 there was a permanent conversion between the disparate data structures.

No excuse for loosing any data, but it did for sure create an additional stress. At that time I was already for half a year legacy-free, and had everything on the same platform.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The few occasions when I encountered an Untitled Attachment, I solved it by briefly switching to another note, and then come back to the first one. The attachments then showed with title and all, opened and behaved as expected.

I started to do this with my first V10 client, but in the case of the 'untitled attachments' where should these appear from if even the web version is blank?

On 4/6/2024 at 5:44 PM, jpaz said:

Getting this thread back to topic.

Here is my experience after about a month use of the new version. Still not feeling home as in Legacy, but feeling more homely than before. No problem in moving to new version. Only strange thing: the android version is not reproducing faithfully all the embedded tags of Windows version.

What I am linking the most in new version: collapsible headers

What I am missing the most: the shortcuts top bar. Being in a different place made it more intuitive to differentiate from the tags.

Frankly, I was rather critical but keeping an open mind, IN MY CASE I am more unless satisfied (knock on wood) and not moving to an alternative note taking app.

Here is my updated comparison:

Features not present in New Version or better managed in Legacy Version (Free Account)
New or better features in New Version (Free Account)
  • no top toolbar 4 shortcuts
  • faster then new version  reported but not experienced, only sometimes freezes
  • no color tags (workaround with emojis)
  • filters take too much space when applied
  • two clicks to open EN from taskbar icon (really annoying)
  • hover on tags does not open search tags, we have to click
  • Search Tags keyboard shortcut not available Legacy was Shift + Alt + T
  • Tags icon should be after shortcuts not at the bottom
  • too much options only in More editing toolbar except in expanded note
  • less fonts
  • less font colours
  • less settings control
  • notes in local computer, not only online (works offline if logged in before and syncs after); solved: there is option to keep local copy of Evernote database
  • more visible space (snippet view 6 vs 4 notes; side list 24 vs 15 notes) partially solved: by View zoom setting

• collapsible headers
  • nice colors fresh green and blue
  • more highlight colours
  • strikethrough completed checklist items (although no option to go to bottom of list)
  • recent notes list
  • editable keyboard shortcuts
  • embed youtube videos
  • collapsible left side bar
  1. still in doubt to keep visible: access tags but less space interface and less visible tags
  2. X (using this option) click to open search tags: need to find tag icon and hover or click
  • uniform interface in multiples OSs
  • tasks in notes

Here is a list of what I would like to have in Evernote, that some competitors have (not discussing general pertinence but ordered by my pertinence) :

MISSING

1. inline tagging (tag only part of note)
  2. columns
  3. transclusion (preferably editable)
  4. links to tags in notes
  5. canva view (like Onenote or Obsidian, notes mindmap)
  6. graph view
  7. TOC (workaround possible)
  8. embed wepages

BR

TOC has just been implemented in last EN Windows version

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is sort of a nonsense list this way - the TOC that was now introduced NEVER existed in any prior version.

First it is a TOC inside of a single note, pointing to anchors inside of the note. Legacy only had a TOC of several notes, and no anchors inside of notes.

Second it is easily possible to insert a TOC of several notes in v10. It is simply wrong to do as if it would not be possible.

Third the new TOC was introduced in both desktop clients, Mac and Windows. Opposite to legacy, where new features (if there ever were new features at all) were always only introduced in one of the clients. Code sharing was not possible in that crooked app generation.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It is sort of a nonsense list this way - the TOC that was now introduced NEVER existed in any prior version.

First it is a TOC inside of a single note, pointing to anchors inside of the note. Legacy only had a TOC of several notes, and no anchors inside of notes.

Second it is easily possible to insert a TOC of several notes in v10. It is simply wrong to do as if it would not be possible.

Third the new TOC was introduced in both desktop clients, Mac and Windows. Opposite to legacy, where new features (if there ever were new features at all) were always only introduced in one of the clients. Code sharing was not possible in that crooked app generation.

My fault, I was not clear. I was updating my list of EN wanted features and remarking that TOC is now possible in EN last version (not Legacy). And yes, I mean TOC inside a note, not from multiple notes.

28 minutes ago, jpaz said:

My fault, I was not clear. I was updating my list of EN wanted features and remarking that TOC is now possible in EN last version (not Legacy). And yes, I mean TOC inside a note, not from multiple notes.

Curious...

Can TOC be generated on Android?

• Level 5

You set headers in your note to structure it. Headers are defined by applying a header text style to a line of text. There are Levels 1-3.

This was introduced with v10 in 2020.

What is now new is A) the sections below the headers can be collapsed and expanded. B.) The headers serve as anchors. 

Hover the mouse over a header. To the left you get an arrow that will collapse and expand it. To the right you get a symbol to copy a link that points to this header in the note.

To create a TOC of a note, go to the blue + menu and select Table of Content. It will grab all links from all headers, and create aTOC from it at the beginning of the note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, justacat said:

Where can I find out more about how this new toc works?

I don't know if it has been fully implemented yet, but it was announced a week ago as "coming soon." See this thread, with various comments:

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't know if it has been fully implemented yet

Working for me in v10.85.4 - it inserts a list of links to any large / medium / small headers in a note.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It requires one of the latest releases. The TOC option shows up in the blue + menu.

If not, a log out / quit app / restart / log in may help.

OK, haven't got it yet, but it's good to know where to look for it. Not in urgent need of it, so I'll wait till it appears.

Vďaka. Zaujímalo by ma, či o tom budú e-mailovať ľuďom v porovnaní s blogom alebo príspevkom X. Sám som ešte nedostal e-mail, ale tiež som sa neprihlásil ani nepoužíval Legacy už asi rok. 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, diabedon said:

Thanks.  I wonder if they'll be emailing people about it vs. the blog or post X.  I haven't gotten an email yet myself, but I also haven't logged in or used Legacy in about a year. 

When you log in to Legacy you'll find the server is unavailable - it was switched off a month ago after 3 years of increasingly urgent warnings.  Go to Evernote.com and download the latest version to get back to your notes.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, rlikeness@tampabay.rr.com said:

All my notes in Evernote were saved and downloaded as PDF. If I don't upgrade, will I lose the PDFs that are currently on my Windows hard drive?

No, and you will not lose them from your account.  If you downgrade to free, you will still be able to access them to read and edit but not add more if you have more than 50 notes in your account and more than one notebook.