Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

bigphilwalks
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

Evernote: Sometimes the new clip doesn't show up, therefore you need this "SYNC" button.  You guys shot yourselves in the foot doing this.

@GrumpyMonkey & Jon: 

Thanks for your help it was appreciated. I do not agree with this at all. It sucks.

I think it's time to shop around for something else.

Sincerely,

Panhead48

• Like 9

Every so often I stop using Legacy EN and try the new version. (Recently I get a notification every day.) The switch never lasts long. Today I tried again. There's goofy interface stuff in the new EN that's worse, of course, but I persist.

Then I make a note on my phone, and it syncs (this is the old Android version, since the new EN won't run on my Android 9 phone). I go back to my computer to edit the note in EN 10. The note never shows up. I do a force refresh. Nope. I close and reopen. Nope. So I close and go to EN Legacy. Boom! There it is, almost immediately.

Edited by viverechristus
my initial post was too sarcastic
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for posting your opinion. I agree that a visible sync button allowing us to force a sync would be welcome, and for many of us it is something we use on a daily basis.

Evernote claims the sync is “automatic” now (it was before, as well), and so it has been removed with (apparently) no plans to add it at a later date.

Where did the sync button go? Evernote has a completely new sync architecture and now syncs automatically across all of your devices.”

Hopefully, they will reconsider their position on this (they have tried this before with the same reasoning), especially after they hear from users about what is / is not important to us.

I like some of the things they are doing (I’ve commented elsewhere on this), but the removal of important features in the name of “streamlining” is unwelcome and undermines all of the hard work they have done. Too bad :(

• Like 9

Yes, I have been told. The only problem is it does not always SYNC, this is what I was trying to point out before, then what do we do? This is a huge problem. It makes the program unusable. 

This is completely ridiculous!

• Like 5
  • Level 5

No sync button, and no forced sync available in v10.

Maybe support has an idea how to make it happen. I would probably try to close and reopen the app, switch my network connection off and on etc. Since the new version is basically a browser hidden under a GUI it should grab any network connection offered.

• Like 1

This is horrible.  Is it possible to downgrade back to the old version?  Damn I'm kicking myself.  I've just saved my first article and 7 minutes in and still no sync.  Mine never syncs until I hit the button, which I do every time to make sure the formatting is readable and not screwed up.  Without a sync button this is simply unusable for me.

• Like 6

Removing the sync was terrible.   I've made changes on my IOS phone and several hours later the changes aren't on my windows computer despite "all changes saved" message.  Now i'm creating duplicate notes routinely....   something's not right.

• Like 4

I agree. I just updated to the newest version of Evernote, made a quick change on my PC and wanted to check it on my phone. Nope. Searched everywhere for the sync button and it is magically gone. I'm like, "What the hell?" 

Evernote, if you are going to make a change this fundamental, you could avoid a TON of frustration by just using a pop-up bubble tour of the new version. And yes, you DO need a sync button. Please, please bring it back ASAP.

• Like 3

Oh Jeeeez...

Had files sent to my Evernote Inbox. Once upon a time, I clicked "Sync" and they were there. Every time.
This time my files did not show up. Remember - I wanted to sort them in Evernote right after sending them, but I could not, because they were not there.
I could also not sync, because as I found shortly after getting angry and googling it, some genius removed the sync button.
I tried another day (we all got time, right?) and there they are. 

Just did another test and send a file to my inbox two times in a row five mins in - nothing synced. 
I shared to my mac´s desktop and copied into Evernote by hand. Thank you very much for the new hassle.

• Like 5

I used the new version of EN for about 10 minutes & reverted back to the "legacy" version, after noticing there was no sync button.  I have been a PREMIUM user of EN since 2009, when they listened to and valued their customers.  For the past ~7 years (when they started to "do their own thing" instead of listening to their customers), I've used it but only for simple things like syncing info between several devices.    I have not been using it for important information or utilizing its more complex "abilities", since I know not to trust their direction and need to be able to abandon EN at any time and it appears that time has come.  As a long time PAYING customer, I should be able to manually force a sync.  It's really not that much of an ask. 

• Like 9

Horrible horrible decision to remove the sync button. What were you guys thinking? You try to save the pixels in our monitors?

People have been learned to be paranoid about losing unsaved changes, so a manual save or sync -button gives the peace of mind, even if it was all placebo and nothing would actually happen. But in your case there really was need, as there was significant delay on the automatic sync and it's possible that you quickly need to close the laptop - and changes would not be synced.

Please try to use your brain more in future, when getting these "bright ideas" to "improve" things, which are already working.

• Like 3

How do I downgrade??!  The missing Sync button is infuriating.  I can't right click to create a Notebook in a Stack anymore.  EN is not playing well with Outlook.  This all is creating a colossal waste of time and energy.

Taking my money elsewhere if they don't fix this.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, panhead48 said:

Then why bother posting.

A strange comment for a user post requesting information   
Also, this post has become a feature request where users can indicate support (vote button at the top left corner of the discussion)    
This is useful towards convincing Evernote to implement this feature

My use case is 1) Capture something with the web clipper.  2) Want to add additional text or edit the captured note without going through the annoying 3-5 clicks to open the note from the web clipper message.  3) Wait for sync to happen to see it in the desktop app (sorry, no interest in using the web app), forgetting what I was going to edit.  

Now it's "downgrade to Evernote Legacy" and do things the easy way -- 1) clip, 2) sync, 3) edit -- with the added benefit of getting the right-click options back on the tray icon (mostly "clip screenshot"). https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote 

• Level 5

If you go to the Help menu, Problem solving (Trouble shooting, whatever it is called), you find 2 options:

• Reload
  • Force Reload

To see this menu point, on the Mac I need to hold down the opt/alt key. Maybe it is string/ctrl on Windows.

Personally my experience is that I rarely NEED a manual sync - what does not mean I appreciate to have it.

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, mngiggle said:

Unfortunately, those options are not in the Windows app's Help menu.   And searching for "Reload" in their Help site doesn't give me anything useful either.

Try to press strg/ctrl, shft or alt/opt and hold it down before clicking on Help. On the Mac it is alt/opt.

3583051_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-15um21_09_30.png.cc252b94a8d0c5baaa9c8341fc978118.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the reload tip. I'm with those who miss the manual sync button. I don't know what the deal is if it really syncs so fast all the time but I have never had so many duplicated notes since the update when that button disappeared 😕 I used to be diligent about pressing sync before switching devices. The sync issues do decrease the usability/usefulness of the product. I am finding myself just using Google Docs more and more because I have never had a sync issue across my devices.

• Level 5

The sync in fact is pretty robust.

There is a manual sync : Hold down the alt/opt key (at least this is the key on the Mac) before clicking on Help. There will be a new menu item „Troubleshooting“. Behind it you have an option to Reload, and another for Force Reload.

• Evernote Expert

There's are a number of reasons why sync may not take place. For example, one user, yesterday, discovered that restarting their router kicked things back into life. Sometimes the local data becomes stuck and the option to sign out and remove allows it to be rebuilt.

You have the sync options in the desktop apps Ctrl+R (reload) and Ctrl+Shift+R (force reload) but these likely won't work if the other issues aren't fixed if broken 

Yeah, last week, the one time I did not use CTRL-R in the Windows v10 desktop app  before leaving my office and checking my phone to see if it sync'd, about 90 minutes later I needed it and could not get it on my phone.

When I left, my laptop was on, Evernote was still open in the background, and the system would have shut down the screen in about 20 minutes but not powered down.  By the time I got back to my office and confirmed the laptop was on and the sync had still not occurred was about 2.5 hours later.

But this is not my biggest issue with the new v10 currently because I should have done the CTRL-R and checked before rushing out.  I have another post coming on a search function available in the old v6 that is not in v10.  What a PITA.

11 minutes ago, viverechristus said:

Every so often I stop using Legacy EN and try the new version. (Recently I get a notification every day.) The switch never lasts long. Today I tried again. There's goofy interface stuff in the new EN that's worse, of course, but I persist.

Then I make a note on my phone, and it syncs (this is the old Android version, since the new EN won't run on my Android 9 phone). I go back to my computer to edit the note in EN 10. The note never shows up. I do a force refresh. Nope. I close and reopen. Nope. So I close and go to EN Legacy. Boom! There it is, almost immediately.

EN now has real time editing on the 10 apps, so this is unexpected behaviour. There is a thread asking for feedback on this, might be worth posting this there. For me if I’m editing a note on my phone I can see the text appearing, letter for letter on the windows app. There are some quirks needing sorted so you may have found one re new note creation. 

• Thanks 1

The what's new post makes it clear that the ability to work offline is still a supported feature so it clearly is syncing locally. If it's not working for you the specific issue needs to be raised so that other people can try to replicate it and hopefully Evernote can address it.

See also the info below posted by @gbarry in the mac forum of how the sync process works:

Searching offline should also be working and available. At initial install, we load up the note meta data first, which lets you quickly orient to what is available in the account, builds the lists, etc. The note content syncs in the background, and depending on the size of your account, may take some time to do this. If you click into any note or search for a note that is not synced yet, we will opportunistically load that up ahead of what is already syncing.

That initial load of meta data can also make it look like the notes are unavailable if you go offline during this initial sync. I'd be interested if you're still running into an offline issue after the notes have loaded. Working offline is an important part of the experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Jon/t said:

It looks like it's real time sync now where everything, every character is synced instantly. Down the bottom right of the note it will say All Changes Saved.

That's not 100% reliable, particularly if you are dealing with things coming back from IOS.  Sure this is a Windows forum but if one has expectations that syncing on both devices means you actually get a sync one could be surprised.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Jon/t said:

It looks like it's real time sync now where everything, every character is synced instantly. Down the bottom right of the note it will say All Changes Saved.

The "All Changes Saved" does not relate to syncing at all. Try this: type three caracters, wait for "All Changes Saved"...close client immediately. Start Evernote Web: Voilà, nothing synced. Maybe this "saved" means to cache. But this has no meaning for the user.... As Evernote never commented on the functionality of this "All changes saved" in the forums I think it is simply faking of real time sync! Evernote has no real time sync (yet?!)....something I had really hoped that it would come in 2020... solving all syncing issues closing the gap to other web service utilizing push sync since years. They did not implement this, even not for the paying customers. I assume because of web service/traffic costs. Very bitter and slap in the face. With no sync status of any note being visible it is a (sorry!) ridiculous product!

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Alxa said:

The "All Changes Saved" does not relate to syncing at all. Try this: type three caracters, wait for "All Changes Saved"...close client immediately. Start Evernote Web: Voilà, nothing synced. Maybe this "saved" means to cache. But this has no meaning for the user

I just did what you said and it worked fine.... I'm using the windows client. I typed test and waiting for all changed saved to appear then shut down the client instantly. I loaded the web and it had synced fine.

If offline the 'all changes saved' says 'Offline' and then I presume it saves to the cache.

Just tried it a few times and works OK so not sure.

9 hours ago, Alxa said:

As Evernote never commented on the functionality of this "All changes saved" in the forums I think it is simply faking of real time sync!

I can't imagine that a company of Evernotes stature would fake the fact its syncing and simply say its saved when it's not!! That's Reddit talk 🤣

38 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I can't imagine that a company of Evernotes stature would fake the fact its syncing and simply say its saved when it's not!! That's Reddit talk 🤣

I don't think they are deliberately faking it but I'm not sure that it means what we think it does. Maybe it just means saved as in "you won't loose it" because it's in the cache and will be uploaded soon. Sometimes the sync process is very fast other times it isn't, although it is generally faster than in the early days. 

It certainly doesn't mean "all changes are saved and will be included in your search". Just try adding a tag and immediately searching for that tag. 

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I don't think they are deliberately faking it but I'm not sure that it means what we think it does. Maybe it just means saved as in "you won't loose it" because it's in the cache and will be uploaded soon. Sometimes the sync process is very fast other times it isn't, although it is generally faster than in the early days. 

It certainly doesn't mean "all changes are saved and will be included in your search". Just try adding a tag and immediately searching for that tag. 

I'm seeing the sync happen instantly when I've tested it but to be honest the quickest I would ever need a sync between devices is a minute or two when I switch desks and PCs.

Can confirm the tag search. Didn't appear in a search for a few minutes. Maybe it needs to be indexed or something happen somewhere for it to be seen.

5 hours ago, Jon/t said:

well, on IOS that's precisely what is happening (and can be reproduced in the current version). I am sure it is not intentional, but it is happening nervertheless...

3 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Can confirm the tag search. Didn't appear in a search for a few minutes. Maybe it needs to be indexed or something happen somewhere for it to be seen.

This is the number one issue for me, mainly because there is no workaround. In the beta we were promised the search would be correct within 3 minutes because as you say the indexing and searching is taking place on the server and not locally. It was sometimes taking alot longer than that in the beta but does now seem to be faster but still not as fast as I need. If I go through some notes and mark some for action with a tag I need to be able to find all those notes again instantly as I can in the legacy version.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

This is the number one issue for me, mainly because there is no workaround. In the beta we were promised the search would be correct within 3 minutes because as you say the indexing and searching is taking place on the server and not locally. It was sometimes taking alot longer than that in the beta but does now seem to be faster but still not as fast as I need. If I go through some notes and mark some for action with a tag I need to be able to find all those notes again instantly as I can in the legacy version.

Understand. I would assume expected behaviour would be to see searches instantly within the client be it offline or online. 

I've just gone offline to test without any syncing and it adds the tag OK offline, search for the tag doesn't work but clicking the tag does show the note.

Not consistent enough, hopefully they'll work on that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Not consistent enough, hopefully they'll work on that.

The lag is consistent though not the how long the lag may be.  In some other thread I think I remember three minutes being the goal of sorts for any updates to be searchable.  And yes, hopefully they'll work on that. 

It's another old/new issue.  In the legacy desktops the index is updated immediately.  If one is doing any sort of maintenance on notes waiting three minutes or more for the maintenance "to take"  in search is a PITA.  Someone designed it this way which is mind numbing.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2020 at 12:20 AM, panhead48 said:

Evernote: Sometimes the new clip doesn't show up, therefore you need this "SYNC" button.  You guys shot yourselves in the foot doing this.

@GrumpyMonkey & Jon: 

Thanks for your help it was appreciated. I do not agree with this at all. It sucks.

I think it's time to shop around for something else.

Sincerely,

Panhead48

100% agreed on this. I'm not happy with this removal of the "Sync" button as well. It doesn't always sync. I can't be waiting on Sync wasting time.

I'm also having issues with the keyboard shortcuts for the Bold, Italics, etc. It doesn't always work. Have to constantly shutdown the problem and restart it.

1 hour ago, Eric K said:

I'm also having issues with the keyboard shortcuts for the Bold, Italics, etc. It doesn't always work. Have to constantly shutdown the problem and restart it.

I've not been able to reproduce this. For me ctrl-B, ctrl-I and ctrl-U reliably toggle the appropriate icon in the editing bar and I can have any combination of them.  I realise it's probably random but have you any pointers as to when it happens so that I can have another go at reproducing it?

3 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I've not been able to reproduce this. For me ctrl-B, ctrl-I and ctrl-U reliably toggle the appropriate icon in the editing bar and I can have any combination of them.  I realise it's probably random but have you any pointers as to when it happens so that I can have another go at reproducing it?

It doesn’t happen when you create your own notes. 

It happens when you try to edit clipped web articles. Ctrl-U works but Ctrl-B and Ctrl-I doesn’t. I use the Evernote Chrome extension to clip articles with the “Simplified article” option. 

It’s random. It doesn’t always happen. It does happen enough that it is very annoying. 

11 hours ago, Eric K said:

It doesn’t happen when you create your own notes. 

It happens when you try to edit clipped web articles. Ctrl-U works but Ctrl-B and Ctrl-I doesn’t. I use the Evernote Chrome extension to clip articles with the “Simplified article” option. 

It’s random. It doesn’t always happen. It does happen enough that it is very annoying. 

Thanks for the context. I've tried a couple of different articles that I've clipped from the web using the Evernote webclipper on Chrome and selecting the simplified article option. Both worked fine for me with no problem with any of the editing short cuts. I guess it could be the specific article but if has been simplified you would have thought it should just be EN formatted text. As you say it's random so very difficult to pin down.

What did they do with the "Sync" button?  For me it's more like WHAT DID THEY DO WITH EVERNOTE?  My app updated this morning and I am so shocked and disappointed.  The list is too long to go into, because the efficiency I thought I would have today has now gone down the drain with all the challenges I have to overcome to have the hope of even a reasonable experience.  

Things I'm struggling with...

• Task bar when a note opens
  • Print preview
  • Sync button
  • Print function, from the File options.... now have to go over to the right side of the page in a NEW "somewhere" else to go place
  • Speed... When the desktop app opens, it sits there and spins, like a web-browser on dial up.  The desktop app seems more like it's LESS LOCAL and more CLOUD, and not very stable. I have 1,000 Gb internet so, data transfer, over the pipe and on my Surface Pro aren't the issue.

I'm honestly saddened by this.  I've been such a HUGE FAN and now this.

I hope it gets better...

On 10/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent here:

This is why I couldn't find my post. 

I didn't ask you to change my title to something you wanted.  It reflected a bad image of evernote so you put it in your own words.

Here we go with the draconian measures. These days are over with software companies doing this. You have a total disregard for paying customers I can clearly see this.

I'm not the only one that's unhappy with what your doing in this program.  The tide is shifting as we speak and companies like this will be gone, because everything will be open source. 

Companies like this do not serve the people.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bryananicholson said:

What did they do with the "Sync" button?  For me it's more like WHAT DID THEY DO WITH EVERNOTE?  My app updated this morning and I am so shocked and disappointed.  The list is too long to go into, because the efficiency I thought I would have today has now gone down the drain with all the challenges I have to overcome to have the hope of even a reasonable experience.  

Things I'm struggling with...

• Task bar when a note opens
  • Print preview
  • Sync button
  • Print function, from the File options.... now have to go over to the right side of the page in a NEW "somewhere" else to go place
  • Speed... When the desktop app opens, it sits there and spins, like a web-browser on dial up.  The desktop app seems more like it's LESS LOCAL and more CLOUD, and not very stable. I have 1,000 Gb internet so, data transfer, over the pipe and on my Surface Pro aren't the issue.

I'm honestly saddened by this.  I've been such a HUGE FAN and now this.

I hope it gets better...

Same here. I've been a big fan but this is really make reconsider other options. 

You can always reinstall the older version. That's what I did. I really couldn't handle all the issues with their new version.  I don't know how long they will support it so at some point I maybe forced to switch to something else or they actually fix some of these issues. Link to download their Legacy version below. 

Can I use this version of the app for regular, everyday use?

For the near future, you may continue to use this version of Evernote for regular, everyday use. However, we recommend that you update to and use the newest version of Evernote to get the latest features and ensure that you have the most recent bug fixes, security fixes, and performance improvements.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

@ Eric K

Simply put Eric they are telling us if we don't like it, to go elsewhere. This is what I'm doing.

I know what's coming down the pipe as far as big huge changes to the system we live under and they will be put out of business.

When you have closed source software this is the kind of garbage they can pull. The market will be flooded with free open source programs and this reason here is why it's  being done.

• Like 1

I'm deeply concerned about the sync button having been removed from the new Sept 2020 version of Evernote (v10.x).  Every now and then in the prior version note changes would FAIL to sync (no errors, just no update on my other devices).  So I got into the habit of clicking the sync button after any changes on any of my four Windows computers.  With the absence of the sync button in the new version I'm worried about my Evernote data integrity.  Can anyone at Evernote please comment on this concern?  Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, hanseric said:

I'm waiting for a note to sync in v10 which has already shown up in v6.25.2.  How do I force the sync? 

I miss having the button in the top left... 😒

Log out/Log in help or hurt.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, qofmiwok said:

This is horrible.  Is it possible to downgrade back to the old version?  Damn I'm kicking myself.  I've just saved my first article and 7 minutes in and still no sync.  Mine never syncs until I hit the button, which I do every time to make sure the formatting is readable and not screwed up.  Without a sync button this is simply unusable for me.

Yes, you can. I'm running v10 (to keep an eye on developments) AND the newest legacy version, apparently retooled a little to allow for simultaneous operation with v10. It's 6.25.2.

This thread lead me to doing this

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, hanseric said:

Thanks and I do appreciate the help.

But I'm not gonna do that. (Take note EN product managers if you're out there.)

My hat's off to you for trying.  I had to turn of V10 after 30 minutes or so, just could not get anything done process wise and it was so slow.  Going to wait it out.

And V10 on IOS is as bad but could be fixed for my use case if sorting of search results were to be added back.  One specific example for me being workout notes.  Pre V10 pressing on the Workout shortcut would display workouts in reverse order so easy to see what was done last time.  Now it is a hodgepodge and the most recent workout might be four or five screens down the list.  FFS.

I have no trust in the automatic sync.  Since the update my devices are not syncing and multiple notes are being created.  This hasn't happened in a long time.  In the South we say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Evernote was great before this latest update.  I feel like my many notes, most of which are journal entries that mean a lot to me, are at great risk.  I don't need more anxiety in 2020.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 6:38 AM, Andreas27 said:

Dear people of Evernote,
Sorry, but to insert a simple button again for synchronizing creates almost a programming beginner.
If you have such problems with the "users" I will look around for an alternative.
Best regards

This isn't just about a simple sync button. It's about a whole laundry list of things gone wrong. You wouldn't understand anything with this mentality.

If you don't have something positive to offer do not come in someone else's thread and act like an infidel.

6 hours ago, pixie0824 said:

I have no trust in the automatic sync.  Since the update my devices are not syncing and multiple notes are being created.  This hasn't happened in a long time.  In the South we say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Evernote was great before this latest update.  I feel like my many notes, most of which are journal entries that mean a lot to me, are at great risk.  I don't need more anxiety in 2020.

I'm with you on this....

I just wish that Evernote would actively engage the user community with a discussion on this topic.      A two-way discussion with the appropriate Engineering Manager could go a long way toward resolving the issue.    We've never even received a clear statement about whether they might restore this functionality in a future version.   (Note that manual sync IS implemented on the current IOS client).     It would help if they would provide specifics on how sync is implemented in the V1.0  Windows client and how that differs from previous versions.    I'd also like to hear why they have chosen not to implement a sync button so far.    I'd like them to listen to user reports of sync misses/delays and to have them tell users specifically how to test and document problems so that they can be resolved.     I'd like for them to provide specifics on known/verified sync problems that they are actively working on so that we can differentiate them from problems that haven't been previously reported.      

Sync isn't a specific feature that just impacts just part of the user community.   It is fundamental to the design of this product and its implementation is critical to ALL users.    If Evernote wants to be successful going forward they need to work directly with the user community to both resolve issues and restore confidence.

We're here, Evernote Engineering.    Please join us in the discussion!

Gary Hicks

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gary_Hicks said:

I just wish that Evernote would actively engage the user community with a discussion on this topic.      A two-way discussion with the appropriate Engineering Manager could go a long way toward resolving the issue.    We've never even received a clear statement about whether they might restore this functionality in a future version.   (Note that manual sync IS implemented on the current IOS client).     It would help if they would provide specifics on how sync is implemented in the V1.0  Windows client and how that differs from previous versions.    I'd also like to hear why they have chosen not to implement a sync button so far.    I'd like them to listen to user reports of sync misses/delays and to have them tell users specifically how to test and document problems so that they can be resolved.     I'd like for them to provide specifics on known/verified sync problems that they are actively working on so that we can differentiate them from problems that haven't been previously reported.      

Sync isn't a specific feature that just impacts just part of the user community.   It is fundamental to the design of this product and its implementation is critical to ALL users.    If Evernote wants to be successful going forward they need to work directly with the user community to both resolve issues and restore confidence.

We're here, Evernote Engineering.    Please join us in the discussion!

Gary Hicks

Very well said, this is exactly what needs to be done. No one responds from EN. If they do not come forward to work with us on this, it clearly shows they do not care and this will be their nail in the coffin.

Dear Evernote!  

You can't continue to hide with all these issues. This isn't just one issue, its a bundle of issues.  Obviously, you guys didn't beta test this before you released it because this should have never been released at all to the public. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, panhead48 said:

No one responds from EN. If they do not come forward to work with us on this, it clearly shows they do not care and this will be their nail in the coffin.

Just for the record (and any new folks here) this Forum has been going for the last 10 years or more and Evernote have only once or twice joined discussions (in very general terms) about current or future plans. 

Staffers  do watch the forums to get feedback,  and support staff have leaned in from time to time to help out with individual issues.  But Evernote - like many other businesses - have a policy not to disclose their plans or progress* in discussion forums.

And - again for the record - I far prefer them hard at work fixing issues, rather than spending countless hours here discussing their life choices.

* Having said which:  I do think,  since we started out with an app that would do (say) 30 things fairly well,  and it got replaced by something that only has 5 of those features left,  that I would expect the company to give us a prioritised list of what is and is not coming back,  with some timescales as in:  "we're aiming to bring back 2 features per <insert reasonable time period here>"

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, panhead48 said:

With all due respect; in order for them to fix the issues they need to engage with the people that use the program.

Would that include setting up a user discussion site
with forums for users to present issues and feedback/requests
and a voting system for users to indicate request support

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yes, and it would then mean to use and take care of all this valuable input, and somehow talking back to the user base rather than CEO complaining in third party interviews about the 5% which do "special things" or have "certain ways to use the app". These 5% (we!) pay their bills, not the 95% free users hich can be blinded by simple and fancy editor hacks for using their shoppings lists. Listening to this forum and watching carefully CEO interviews of the last 2-3 weeks i am frightened, that these special effort of commited users is and probably never will be refunded to them (us!).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
4 hours ago, bdrewery said:

I've never had auto sync do the right thing when using 3 separate devices. So many times I've had "duplicated" notes. This is exacerbated by writing a note and then clicking out of the mobile app, or sleeping laptop, before it can sync. 

Why am I paying the same price for an inferior product?

Exactly, sleeping laptop after last edits or maintance on notes often lacks last changes in sync...unfortunately you notice this later on when on mobile, too late. You can even close the app by Menu-Exit and it will not force sync before close. For me it is like gambling... will all be synced later on?

Such fundamental flaws make me somehow speechless.

8 hours ago, Alxa said:

Yes, and it would then mean to use and take care of all this valuable input, and somehow talking back to the user base rather than CEO complaining in third party interviews about the 5% which do "special things" or have "certain ways to use the app". These 5% (we!) pay their bills, not the 95% free users hich can be blinded by simple and fancy editor hacks for using their shoppings lists. Listening to this forum and watching carefully CEO interviews of the last 2-3 weeks i am frightened, that these special effort of commited users is and probably never will be refunded to them (us!).

Thank you Alxa!

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly what I meant. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Hopefully everybody is a power user in his own right. Even somebody who restricts himself to only a few functions is a power user, maybe even more so because he has focus instead of toying around.

For me we should not construct a confrontation between paying and non paying users. Every student who starts with EN is welcome to the community, even if maybe he will not contribute in the first years of use. Every Premium user who downgrades and uses EN as his lifetime archive is welcome as well. This is to the forum, and in general. If one needs „power functions“, there is money to be paid, and that is it. This includes support, a service that involves employees to be paid to look after individual (!) requests.

What we all can expect - power and non power, paying or free - is a useful program and a quick solution for obvious shortcomings and bugs.

• Like 1

I agree: the new Windows Version (10.2.4) does not have it, or an alternative.  I use the manual sync option regularly, to move files due to SecOps limitations that prevent me from printing, etc.

Bring back manual sync to Windows!

I agree, restore the sync button. I bring email from Outlook into Evernnote routinely. Now I have to wait upwards of a minute+ for the note to sync so I can keep moving forward with updating the note. Before this update I would force sync and keep moving. This is definitely frustrating.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, DTLow said:

Or let's create all of those above to let them [users] think that they have something to say, but we [EvN] will still do what we want to get as much money as possible... 😉

Oh wait... Have EvN team listened to the overwhelming feedback about "beta" (i.e. preview/alpha) being not ready or they just pushed out unbaked 10.x versions to the market prematurely..?

• Thanks 1
On 10/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, DTLow said:

Yes, that's one option. However an important part of that option is "engaging". That rarely (never ?) happens. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Kolmir said:

but we [EvN] will still do what we want to get as much money as possible...

??? As Evernote is currently proving,  not listening to customers can cost an organisation a lot of income.  I don't for a moment believe that they can think that v10 as it currently stands on features is the way to go.  I do think that the company completely failed to warn users that the first iteration of v10 would be a feature-poor starter kit until they beat the operational bugs out of it while attempting to service 250M customers,  and I think they were out of their mind to launch it as an automatic update.  As has already been said,  this app should have been offered as a public beta so that anyone with a workflow that depended on Evernote could continue to operate with their existing system. Any early-adopters who opted in to try it,  could then also opt back out again if they didn't enjoy the experience. 

As is though,  the company opened it's doors,  threw out the welcome mat,  and annoyed a heck of a lot of people.  I'd guess they're desperately trying to get things fixed behind closed doors in hopes the new people they have attracted will make up for the wastage they're going to see at the end of the year.  Meanwhile there are no volunteers to stick their head above the parapet for abuse - they're busy doing what they can;  we'll just have to hope (against recent experience) that the situation can be resolved reasonably satisfactorily,  and quickly.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

??? As Evernote is currently proving,  not listening to customers can cost an organisation a lot of income.

Yep, I fully agree with you. They were thinking (in their Small minds) that they have been right (over forum users), but reality (users/market) proved them wrong...

35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

As is though,  the company opened it's doors,  threw out the welcome mat,  and annoyed a heck of a lot of people.  I'd guess they're desperately trying to get things fixed behind closed doors in hopes the new people they have attracted will make up for the wastage they're going to see at the end of the year.  Meanwhile there are no volunteers to stick their head above the parapet for abuse - they're busy doing what they can;  we'll just have to hope (against recent experience) that the situation can be resolved reasonably satisfactorily,  and quickly.

Yes, but without hardcore restructure of their current processes, without doing intense training for developers, QA, and managers, etc. that can be pretty hard... Moreover, they may even need to hire new CTO or even CEO... 

Their previous approach "We don't plan" failed spectacularly. They need a new one, badly...

• Like 1

Dear Evernote,

You took all granular control from the user base. Why did you do this? 

We used to be able to go into preferences and set it the way we needed to use it and you took all this away and left us with a piece of junk.

How could you possibly think this was a good a idea? You took a lot out of this program and left it bare. 

Tell me Evernote, what are we paying for then?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, panhead48 said:

Dear Evernote,

You took all granular control from the user base. Why did you do this? 

We used to be able to go into preferences and set it the way we needed to use it and you took all this away and left us with a piece of junk.

How could you possibly think this was a good a idea? You took a lot out of this program and left it bare. 

Tell me Evernote, what are we paying for then?

I have already asked Support about this, and the answer was something like this: you pay for accessing servers from multiple devices and for ability to report issues as tickets. Apps are for free - take them or leave them...

• Sad 2
16 minutes ago, Kolmir said:

I have already asked Support about this, and the answer was something like this: you pay for accessing servers from multiple devices and for ability to report issues as tickets. Apps are for free - take them or leave them...

Karma is a *****!

Stop editing my posts.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kolmir said:

Unbelievable ignorance and arrogance but it clearly shows EN does not take care of premium users (anymore?). I am ashame - but I somehow hope a big loss of premium users will lead to healthy consequences.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, CalS said:
You could go back to 6.25.1 found here until EN gets it sorted.

You could in addition cancel auto-renewal of subscription - I guess that's the minimum every disappointed EN user should do to signal to EN that they are doing wrong to premium users. I would assume, they monitor their auto-renewal and canceled subscriptions for planning cash flow ahead. At least I would do this. I just canceled!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Alxa said:

You could in addition cancel auto-renewal of subscription - I guess that's the minimum every disappointed EN user should do to signal to EN that they are doing wrong to premium users. I would assume, they monitor their auto-renewal and canceled subscriptions for planning cash flow ahead. At least I would do this. I just canceled!

I plan on it, but also have a plan that far exceeds this....

You will all benefit from it believe me. In due time.  These companies won't be able to get away with this anymore.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Any early-adopters who opted in to try it,  could then also opt back out again if they didn't enjoy the experience. 

For Mac/Window users, Evernote has provided the Legacy version   
For IOS users, it's not so easy (impossible) to back out

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

For Mac/Window users, Evernote has provided the Legacy version   
For IOS users, it's not so easy (impossible) to back out

That was in context of a 'coulda, shoulda' situation where the update should have been offered as an opt-in beta...  where we are,  you're right;  the options are - 

1. kill updates and stay firmly on the previous public version (not available for iOS)
  2. uninstall the updates and go back to the previous public version..
    (a bit technical,  may not be possible for some OS's and definitely not available for iOS)
  3. use the Legacy version for at least part of your activity - (not available for iOS unless you can use a desktop)
  4. hope that the updates with big fixes and added-back features come thick and fast - (ONLY available for iOS)

😕

• Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 10:00 AM, DTLow said:

Now where have I seen something like that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/14/2020 at 3:47 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent here:

Windows app not syncing to other Evernote instances. Syncing was instantaneous before ... update a note on my desktop, walk into a meeting and work off the updated note. Just walked red-faced out of a meeting as the new Windows app did not sync my notes to my iPad, so I had outdated notes to talk to. I guess if it does not sync better in the next day or two I will have to move to another note app. As good as Evernote is, this is hindering the way I work and have worked with Evernote. the new version is a clear move backwards in the quality of the app and user experience. 

• Like 2

I upgraded and dig the interface, but now Evernote isn't syncing and there's no Sync symbol or command that I can find.  I'm sure it's there, and maybe in my frenzy to find stuff I'm overlooking it, but I am just not seeing it.

Thanks!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Eireandy said:

Button is gone i can't find it in 10.3.7. Mine is syncing almost live. If i do a change in Windows app its reflected on IOS and web in seconds.

It's weird, my android stuff is updated  automatically.  I finally was able to get my synced material but only if I logged out and logged back in. That kinda sucks...

Thanks for responding!

same issue. i updated. no sync button and NO the sync is NOT WORKING automatically and correctly. 

i've edited a note and it just will not sync to the server. after several minutes. thus my iphone NOTE is not synced (i.e. not correct) and thus editing it will cause a "Conflicting Change" which i don't want. 

i finally had to just log out and log back in with the desktop and that did it. but clearly that is NOT a good long term solution. 

23 hours ago, Eireandy said:

Button is gone i can't find it in 10.3.7. Mine is syncing almost live. If i do a change in Windows app its reflected on IOS and web in seconds.

You can't find it because it is not there! I've noticed a several hour delay between when I clip something using EN's web clipper and when it shows up in EN. This doesn't happen every time but sometimes.

Michael

Long time (for years) user... first time forum poster...

Evernote, please restore the Sync button!  I use Evernote across 2 Windows desktops and my iPhone and I used to have a habit of hitting Sync when swapping between systems.

I cannot do that anymore, and now even after waiting and then exiting Evernote on one system when I go to another system the 1-2 documents which I was most recently editing now have a duplicate file created.. ugh...

As a very long time user is seems that Evernote just does what they think is an improvement without having a clue how uses actually work with Evernote.

They have made adding tags and selecting the notebook you want a exercise in have to move your mouse allover the screen. Before they were all together a quick and easy to use.

I went back to what they are calling Legacy version 6.25...

Hope they fix this before my renewal because I don't they will continue to get my business.