Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

bigphilwalks
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If you go to the Help menu, Problem solving (Trouble shooting, whatever it is called), you find 2 options:

• Reload
  • Force Reload

To see this menu point, on the Mac I need to hold down the opt/alt key. Maybe it is string/ctrl on Windows.

Personally my experience is that I rarely NEED a manual sync - what does not mean I appreciate to have it.

Don't see any such option under Help.  

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 12.50.10 PM.png

• Level 5

On the Mac the option key works - it is called „alt“ in some localizations, and „opt“ in others.

Usually what is available on the Mac should be available in Windows as well. I use the direct download from the EN website - maybe there are functions that are disabled when installing through one of the Stores.

You could try the shortcut keys as well, usually on Windows ctrl takes the place of cmd on the Mac. This would be ctrl-R for a simple Reload, ctrl-shift-R for a Forced Reload.

You can try to ask support.

Evernote used to be an EXCELLENT app.  I've used it on my Windows 10 computers and my iPhone for around 10 years with very few problems.  Then they "improved" it about a year or so ago.  This was when they eliminated the "sync" button instead of addressing the server issues.  Since then Evernote has been caused me daily trouble, especially with erratic syncing resulting in duplicate notes.   So, I moved to the web app thinking that would avoid the sync problem, but it's strange and poorly-designed  interface is awful.   Today, for example, a note I use every day ended up with 4 copies using the web app.  Great huh?  Surprisingly, the iOS app on my iPhone is steady and the most reliable Evernote app for me.

• Level 5

The new app is practically an extension running inside of a browser session. Maybe this was the reason they decided to skip the manual syncing. 

As described above there are Reload and Force Reload options in the extended help menu. They practically force a sync. So even if there is no visible button, an sync can be initiated, with 2 shortcuts assigned to these options.

• Like 1

Hello,

On one of my computers I've written new notes (using Windows app, not website) which never showed on another computer.

I've solved this with following steps:

-    I've signed out from Evernote (on the computer which refused to synch notes)

-    When logging out I did not select backing up

-    I've confirmed logging out

-    I've logged in again

The missing notes were shown on another computer as well.

Btw, restarting Windows didn't help at all.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure they are in this horrible trend in product management where people are told to try 'feature reduction' and see if your business  KPIs moves the right way to understand how isefull this feature was .... this is absurd but oh well ... let's suspend auto renewal and see what's what

• Level 5

It syncs faster than you are able to move the mouse to tell it to sync.

You can follow what it does by looking at the (light grey) text bottom right of the EN window.

Maybe we don't like how it syncs - but syncing it does. In this case an additional button is really not an additional feature (and BTW I think to count the number of buttons is one of the weakest measures for the quality of a piece of software. Or do you think the MS ribbons full of tiny little button icons are the greatest invention since bottled orange juice ?).

• Level 5

I think (without deeper knowledge) that the Google approach was to create very granular files from the beginning. In case several parties work at the document together, every one can work on a detail, and the work syncs only that detail into the „mother“ document. If you are working alone, it still only syncs small packages, not the whole document.

With EN AFAIK the whole note serves as an entity - which means syncing is always syncing the note, not only a little element that was changed. Not easy to solve, at least it takes them pretty long to get it fixed.

Hello there and after a year I'm still very gutted no manual sync button is restored. 

It's a real shame to this product that I've been using for years, and reading the comments here I'm giving Google Docs a try. Really, in my case it doesn't work as good as a manual button (and somehow i'm glad my contract with EN is up in a few days).  Why not just respect users' wish?

A manual sync and an auto one aren't mutually exclusive eh?

• Like 1

Are any developers looking at restoring the Sync button?  Evernote has become pretty difficult to work with lately and I'm actively looking for an alternative unless someone can fix this.

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a manual sync : Hold down the alt/opt key (at least this is the key on the Mac) before clicking on Help. There will be a new menu item „Troubleshooting“. Behind it you have an option to Reload, and another for Force Reload.

So there is a Sync button, but they've cleverly obscured it.  That's crazy.  I've run into sync issues quite a bit recently.  EN: bring it backi, PLEASE!

The automatic sync does not always work and a manual sync button should still be available.

I get sync from android to the cloud, but it sometimes takes 15 minutes to finally sync with the Windows app.

Since the big change in the so called upgrade, the Android app has really been unbearably slow for scanning, moving note to a notebook, and tagging. I have had it with the lack of EN addressing the issue. I am cancelling the paid prescription and moving elsewhere.

• Like 1

I've been saying the same thing to all developers on all computer platforms since the very first IBM PC came out (which I bought), which is that you can ADD anything you like if you "think" you're improving the program, but NEVER, EVER take anything away. Why? Due to the individual idiosyncrasies of millions of users. Just because the developers and powers that be decide a features is not important, does NOT mean there aren't millions of users that think it is, and furthermore have designed their workflow around it (in some cases). Evernotes claim that notes "automatically sync" is simply not correct! That may be what it's SUPPOSED to do, and it may IN TIME, but if I need to work with a note RIGHT NOW that was scanned or otherwise captured, I don't want to wait on Evernote to decide when I want to see it. I want to see it when I WANT to see it, which may be an unreasonable request if I were asking for something NEW, but I'm only asked for what was ALREADY THERE to be left alone! 

For the billionth time in 25+ years, developers, PLEASE STOP FIXING THINGS THAT AREN'T BROKEN! Trust me, EverNote has got PLENTY of stuff that IS broken (like snail's pace speed and constant crashes (hourly)), so work on THOSE things and stop trying to "HELP" users that are happily using what USED to be there. 

Come on, this is basic, common sense. Please stop trying to complicate things just for the sake of change. 

Thank you.... 

Evernote sync changes aside... if a piece of software works a certain way or has a certain feature -- the developer has to support that for... eternity? That doesn't sound in line with any software I've ever seen. (Sounds like a 'who moved my cheese?' issue.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I don‘t understand this mantra of „never take anything away“. Is it because the computing power is growing all of the time ? Then this is one of the reasons why we should take things „away“. Because our own human „computing power“ is not growing, by design. So we should use the power of the machines to reduce the decisions we have to make.

Simplicity in doing the things we want to do is the key, not keeping every button alive just because it had been there for a while. I do not want to care about syncing - I want it to happen, fast and reliable. EN sync does it - they pretty much ironed out the initial problems with v10. I hope they will make the next step this year, as announced, with a general overhaul of the syncing engine.

I don't care about the manual sync button if the program is auto-syncing as it should. And I doubt having a manual sync would change that if there is a problem with syncing.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Elshad said:

I don't care about the manual sync button if the program is auto-syncing as it should. And I doubt having a manual sync would change that if there is a problem with syncing.

Totally agree. Having a sync button seems a little old skool nowadays. None of the software and apps I use have a sync button. Email turns up automatically, spreadsheet saves every character, so does word processor. My invoice software just syncs payments and things on the fly. I never have to press a button. Its great!

I think that this thread has gotten a bit off topic.  I agree that the sync button should be restored.  The ability to manually kick off a sync and wait for it to complete provides the user with confidence prior to editing notes that have been edited on another device and before closing the app - not to mention monitoring an initial sync, which can take many hours.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

I don‘t understand this mantra of „never take anything away“. Is it because the computing power is growing all of the time ? Then this is one of the reasons why we should take things „away“. Because our own human „computing power“ is not growing, by design. So we should use the power of the machines to reduce the decisions we have to make.

Simplicity in doing the things we want to do is the key, not keeping every button alive just because it had been there for a while. I do not want to care about syncing - I want it to happen, fast and reliable. EN sync does it - they pretty much ironed out the initial problems with v10. I hope they will make the next step this year, as announced, with a general overhaul of the syncing engine.

Because dumb ass, the syncing of Evernote fails or there wouldn't be 3 pages of posts from users requesting a solution to it not syncing.  What is your bizarre infatuation to defend evernote while emasculating real people with real problems with the product? If you can't offer a solution why do you reply to a thread just to post snarky bitchy responses to people? Get a life. Obviously there is a huge problem with syncying nobody needs you to keep replying to people about how its not a problem for you, its not about you, its about the people having the problem.

• Level 5

Did you read any of my posts ?

Then you would know there is a full set of syncing options, including a keyboard shortcut  in the desktop clients.

From several threads about syncing it is notable that many users don’t understand the syncing process. They are looking for the cause of syncing problems where they are not to be found.

A button (which would only mimic the already existing automatic and manual sync) will not „solve“ anything. EN has announced they will overhaul the syncing process this year - let us wait for the outcome.

For the rest of your posting maybe take your own advise.

• Level 5
On 6/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, hmart said:

I think that this thread has gotten a bit off topic.  I agree that the sync button should be restored.  The ability to manually kick off a sync and wait for it to complete provides the user with confidence prior to editing notes that have been edited on another device and before closing the app - not to mention monitoring an initial sync, which can take many hours.

Ctrl+R.

• Like 1

EVERNOTE: Please bring back the sync button - and ideally add a progress indicator.

So often, on PC and Android, I can't tell if syncing is happening... I exit and re-enter the app to try to force syncing... and syncing can take 10 minutes for a 1-sentence note (which is unacceptable - Google Keep syncs instantly)

• Level 5

PC: Look at the bottom right of the frame of the EN window. What do you read ?

Usually: All changes saved, unless it is in that moment syncing, then the text will say something else. When it says „All changes saved“ sync has executed. Because - EN syncs instantly …

Check, set, done, solved.

Since you posted x times, I will not answer the Android question here. A little cliffhanger must be.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

When it says „All changes saved“ sync has executed. Because - EN syncs instantly

That is wrong. "All changes saved" has nothing to do with sync state. Try it out: type something, wait for "all saved", immediately force close the windows app and check on Evernote web. Your last edits will never show up until you restart the windows app for completing sync. Since introduction of EN10 for windows no change. At least - some months ago -  they added a wait-for-sync message when trying to exit the windows app via quit while the "saved changes" are not synced yet. Important: you can be quite sure sync has completed if the app let's close itself via menu-quit.

Hope the sync overhaul CEO announced brings the engine to a level one could expect in 2022.

• Level 5

You say it is not syncing if you force close it. No surprise here. You can pull the LAN cable, turn off the router, enable flight mode, drop a stone on the device, whatever. We are not talking users here killing the syncing intentionally. When you kill, you don‘t need a syncing indicator to tell the syncing has stopped.

If you are using it regularly, it syncs right away, and it does not stop to do so until the syncing is finished. Contrary to legacy it will not accumulate changes in the local database. You edit, it syncs directly.

Just gave it a try: Added a photo with several MB to a note. Without doing anything else, network traffic picked up within a second, and did not stop until a figure corresponding to the MB-size of the photo has been passed through, after a few seconds.

If you want to know exactly when this happens, there are network supervisors that will show you the internet traffic. If on any reasonably fast network (mine was through a personal hotspot, which usually is not among the fastest), it will be done within a few seconds.

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm sitting here for 25 minutes...

I created some new notes on my desktop this morning, and I open up evernote on my laptop 8 hours later and the notes I created aren't there. Go look at my desktop, there they are. 

I swear to God these idiots sit around and figure out how can we make a product worse this month?

• Level 5

The best way to check on any syncing question always has been to check the status on the web client. Difficult for Free users, since it counts as a device.

All clients are „always syncing“. On desktop see the status message on the window frame bottom right. The mobile clients are synced when none of the notes show an „sync outstanding“ indicator, a green triangle.

Oddly enough, a note I deleted on Friday or Saturday (deleted from within Legacy EN) is still showing in my Windows desktop V10 this Monday morning as I start work.  Of course I clicked the SYNC button from the Legacy EN as is habit.

As expected it is gone in my Windows Legacy EN but also in my V10 Android app.  I spent several hours working within both Legacy and V10 EN after deleting this note and I have done a CTRL R and CTRL SHIFT R to reload the V10 desktop multiple times including again this morning.

Notably the bottom right hand corner of my V10 window shows "All changes saved."

• Level 5

It looks as if you have a corrupted local database on your desktop install.

This should fix it:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
  • Level 5

Restore what ?

EN syncs automatically.

If you want to play sync-king, hold down the alt/opt key before clicking on the help menu.

Choose the new „Troubleshooting“ item, and select „Reload“ or „Forced Reload“ from the submenu. The keyboard shortcuts are listed as well.

EN syncs automatically, except when it doesn't. 

I just had it happen again with my normal (not normal for most, I expect) workflow.  Since it's fresh in my mind:

• Take a picture on my phone that I want to use in a document on my work PC.
  • Share it with Evernote. 
    • It doesn't sync automatically, but I don't know that yet.
  • Wait a few minutes thinking that it is going to sync automatically - it's an image after all, so it takes some time.
  • Realize it doesn't sync.
  • Go to Settings - Sync - Sync Now
  • Then sync my Evernote Legacy and use the image.

Restoring a manual sync button or a simple "sync when I pull down to refresh" would save me a bunch of time in this situation.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From what you describe, you don’t have a syncing problem, you simply have a corrupted local database. Hours to sync is not hours to sync, it is not syncing at all. Most likely it is munching on a piece of bad data, and runs in loops doing so.

Replace it with a fresh copy from the server, and the problems will vanish.

For a PC this is how to do it:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote. Keep the app open while it downloads your notes from the server.
4 hours ago, mngiggle said:
  • Take a picture on my phone that I want to use in a document on my work PC.
  • Share it with Evernote. 
    • It doesn't sync automatically, but I don't know that yet.

Does anybody know if Evernote v10 on iOS (or Android) will actually sync at this point? I thought that you had to open the iPhone app (but you don't have to Go to Settings - Sync - Sync Now) as nothing will sync if the app isn't the one currently running? Is this right?

• Level 5

You take a picture, as described outside of the EN app (could be done with he build in camera as well, but from the description it is not used).

Share it with EN - the app is still closed, there is only a picture dropped in its InBox. Anybody who expects a closed app that did not yet have a chance to process the input will anyhow sync an output should learn some more about how mobile systems work.

To process the image it is necessary to open the app and let the shared content be imported, a note created - then it will sync.

• Thanks 1

That's not how it works.  First off, whether taking the picture in the app or outside, the same thing can happen. (I'll admit I usually do it outside the app so I have a local copy of the picture, and in general it gets the picture taken quicker.)   But when I'm taking the picture outside the app and sharing it, it opens the app, tells me to wait while it makes the note for it, and then goes to the app's main screen when done.  And then, *most of the time*, it syncs in a minute or two.  About 30% of the time, it just plain doesn't and I have to do the manual sync tap dance, which is why it would be awfully nice if it was easier to trigger a sync when I actually need it.

I get a sense that there is a disconnect between iOS development and Windows OS development.  Correspondingly there is a disconnect on the support side.

EN to me has always seemed optimized for the Apple world, not the Windows/Android world but that is somewhat understandable if it started out as an Apple app.  However, I'm not switching to Apple just to fix EN problems so I know I have to use work-a-round's for some things.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Carl-L-ND said:

EN to me has always seemed optimized for the Apple world, not the Windows/Android world but that is somewhat understandable if it started out as an Apple app.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evernote:

After being founded in 2000 by Russian-American computer entrepreneur Stepan Pachikov, EverNote Corporation ('EverNote' stylized with a capital 'N' at the time) started marketing software for Windows desktop PCs, tablet PCs and handheld devices like the handwriting recognition software ritePen and the note-taking and web clipping application EverNote (also with a capital 'N'), a Windows application which stored notes on an 'infinite roll of paper'. Under the new CEO Phil Libin, the company shifted its focus to the Web, smartphones and also the Apple Mac, starting with Evernote (now with lower-case 'n') 3.0 in 2008.

Sometimes our conclusions are assumptions and lead us astray.

• Level 5

There is nothing wrong to optimise for the Mac - unless you haven't got one 🤣

In fact EN v10 is NOT optimised for the Apple ecosystem. The Mac app is very close to the Windows app (or vice versa). If there are things the Mac app does better, it is because MacOS is more supportive, and Windows 11 is still sort of a public beta.

On iOS (especially on the iPad) EN drops the ball with not supporting multitasking and (on mobile in general) only allowing 1 note to be active at any time. Maybe Android is less stable, but this is because there are more devices, and a lag (or unwillingness) to deliver new software to many older devices.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evernote:

Sometimes our conclusions are assumptions and lead us astray.

LOL   so true.... I've always thought the Apple app was out for several years on the iPhone before an Android version came out and that influenced subsequent development of features that did not work as well in the Android <> Windows interchange.  Maybe something I read when I was evaluating several products to support mobility in the field with Android back in 2013.

• Like 1

My impression as a mostly-Android/Windows user (with a 2-year stint as an iOS user that ended... 2 years ago I think) and a paid Evernote subscriber for over a decade is that the mobile development and bugfixing is optimized for iOS.  Android has seemed like an afterthought for at least the last 5 years, and the app's performance reflects that.

(It could be that the development method just creates code that works more smoothly in iOS too; I wouldn't be able to tell that difference.)  

And if there's any class of behaviors that I'd expect to be different between iOS and Android, it's how background tasks and refreshing data works, so it's not a surprise that they differ in performance there.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually there is no big difference between the clients for iOS and Android. Usually they get the same features at the same time, which happens because they share the code. The framework into which the app is embedded handles the OS interaction.

The problem IMHO is that iOS is a closed family of devices and processor architectures. Most devices are up to date with the OS. With Android, devices will not or only belatedly get OS updates. And there is a large diversity of processors and hardware specs. Plus the makers bend the Android core with the bloatware they add to make the phones deliver data „home“. 

If anything makes the Android client a gamble, then this. We have users here in the forum who are happy with their Android install, and others who experience a lot of problems.

Yes it's nice to have this button under the hand or if it's well handled (I agree it's the case 95%+)

But at least it would be nice to have a general status button showing that it's updating, updated or waiting.

• Like 1

Exactly, we would not need that button if the process would be transparent and reliable. We should take the word of CEO that announced the overhaul of the sync for 2022. Support assured me, they would be actually working on something regarding sync. Still nothing arrived on this, but 2 months to go. After two years of waiting, having an Android client that needs 1-2 minutes after starting to sync to simply show remote changes I have to draw decisions at some point. Let's see what EN has to offer in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I know sync issues have continued for many. In a new blog post, Bending Spoons lays out the developments in syncing that are now rolling out, which hopefully will resolve these issues (they also discuss price changes): https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for reviving this old thread. Based on the info in that blog post, I'll be looking for a new notes app after over a decade of happy Evernote usage. :( I"m already paying $50/year for Plus, and the features they're talking about rolling out aren't interesting to me. (Less complicated app = more productivity for me.) So I really appreciate the tine you took, Dave-in-Decatur, to comment. 

The fact that you can't comment on that blog post is telling, I think. Ugh.

Here's a decent article on alternatives, for anyone else that might be in the market now: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/ditching-evernote-here-are-your-top-alternatives

• Level 5

Personally, I like the new app, and I find the current US$100/year for a Professional subscription to be money well spent. We'll see how I feel about $170 next year (I'm in a very lucky May-renewal doughnut hole that won't increase my fee till then). But I do think that $130 for personal is really stretching it.

Sync still fails at times.  I manually sync on all devices and in the Android app it is a PITA going back to the home screen \ 3 bar menu \ Gear icon \ Sync \ Sync Now and then two more taps back to Home screen.  7 taps for peace of mind.

6 weeks ago I had an issue with where a bunch of notes did not sync from the V10 Windows app to my Android phone app regardless of the CTRL R's and 7 tap Sync's I attempted.  Because I needed those notes on my phone prior to a surgery I copied and pasted them into my good old reliable much loved V6 and they sync'd no problem.

After my surgery with a bit of time on my hands, I looked into the issue.  I found that if I go into the V10 upper left menu \ File \ Quit Evernote and then restarted it would sync.  Now I always "Quit" V10 rather than simply "X" close it's window.   Never ever had to "Quit" with V6.  It just gets more & more complicated to use.

I hope that for the Windows desktop app that they bring back the ability (as per the V6 Windows app) to  search all sub-notebooks under the top notebook in a descending stack of notebooks just by selecting the highest notebook you want to search from and then entering your phrase in the search field.  Much easier than trying to formulate a syntax in the search field where your notebook names that have been in use for a dozen years are not simple.

That cost increase is an example of gouging imho and the only reason I'll accept it is it is a business expense for me.  Sadly, 80-90% of my daily desktop input is via the old reliable V6 so I'll be paying a premium for use of the phone app.

• Level 5

„6 weeks ago“ the new sync was not available.

It simply makes no sense any more to ask for a „sync button“. You won’t have time to „press“ on any button. The sync is already done before you could place your mouse pointer over it.

If you already have it, try it. If you haven’t, rollout is on the way.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, Carl-L-ND said:

Sync still fails at times.  I manually sync on all devices and in the Android app it is a PITA going back to the home screen \ 3 bar menu \ Gear icon \ Sync \ Sync Now and then two more taps back to Home screen.  7 taps for peace of mind.

6 weeks ago I had an issue with where a bunch of notes did not sync from the V10 Windows app to my Android phone app regardless of the CTRL R's and 7 tap Sync's I attempted.  Because I needed those notes on my phone prior to a surgery I copied and pasted them into my good old reliable much loved V6 and they sync'd no problem.

After my surgery with a bit of time on my hands, I looked into the issue.  I found that if I go into the V10 upper left menu \ File \ Quit Evernote and then restarted it would sync.  Now I always "Quit" V10 rather than simply "X" close it's window.   Never ever had to "Quit" with V6.  It just gets more & more complicated to use.

As @PinkElephant (and my post yesterday) indicates, help is here or on the way for the sync issues overall. WRT Android, I almost never do the Gear icon > Sync method. In any list of notes (but not Home), if you "pull down" on the screen image the list will refresh, i.e., sync.

I had a very similar Windows v. 10 sync snafu yesterday, with an edit in the Windows app not syncing to my phone (or the Web client). I found myself wondering if the new sync rollout is slowing things down in some situations for us still in the old structure. But I also tried the File > Quit method, and when I restarted the app it wouldn't even fully load. I had to go into Task Manager and stop an Evernote process that was "stuck." Ick. I never had that happen before, but I think it was at least as likely to be a Windows issue as an Evernote one.

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

„6 weeks ago“ the new sync was not available.

It simply makes no sense any more to ask for a „sync button“. You won’t have time to „press“ on any button. The sync is already done before you could place your mouse pointer over it.

If you already have it, try it. If you haven’t, rollout is on the way.

I haven't yet received.... wait, maybe I have.  My phone app has not changed that I can see and I use Windows V10 so little that I may have missed the "you got a new feature" pop-up.  I really really dislike V10 - it is quite disruptive to the work flow I've used for years.

5 hours ago, Carl-L-ND said:

I really really dislike V10 - it is quite disruptive to the work flow I've used for years.

Initially, I had some reservations about V10. However, the recent updates such as Home Screen, Calendar Integration, Tasks and Widgets have significantly improved my workflow. As a result, I find it to be a much more efficient tool.

• Like 2

PUT BACK THE SYNC BUTTON !!!!!

PC Win 10, this has already caused me dupes, VERY annoying !

Not doing us any favors, not making our lives simpler, slow PC's don't always work right, I NEED THE SPINNING BUTTON TO KNOW THAT ONCE IT STOPS SPINNING, I'M SAFE !!!

• Level 5

Time is clicking away, 5th of May, time is clicking ...

Why ? Because EN said on the 5th of May all accounts will run on the new sync. It is highly probable you have already gotten it; if not, they are on it right now.

It syncs differently - no more duplication. And no stupid button needed - it would have NOT prevented anything in the past. There are enough postings that explain the why - so asking for a "button" as savior of users state of mind was leading nowhere all the time.

• Like 1

Still  " Evernote 10.55.2 is currently the newest version available " in Win 10 as of a few seconds ago.

Evernote 10.50.3(1129946) on Android phone (in Canada).

Hmmm.... this is distressing, I peeked at my offline notebooks and saw that the offline mode had been disabled.  I know I enabled it back before Christmas when I switched to a new phone.  Hopefully it does not take 2-3 days to sync like a previous time.

• Evernote Expert

Those are the most up to date versions for Windows and Android. Provided your account has been moved to it, and almost everyone has been, you are on the new sync.

The tell tale is to create a note  and leave it open on that device.  Now, also open that same note on your other device. Within seconds you should see an avater for you appear in the top right of the note editor.  Type on one device and you will see the text appear on the other as you type.

If you are one of the very few to yet have the new sync then try again on Saturday when it is promised for everyone.

A newer application is not required for the new sync.  It is enabled at the server side.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Thanks, @agsteele. I especially appreciate the clarification about how this is happening. It is not per application (via app update), it seems, but per account. When my account gets provisioned with the new sync system, I'll see it in the same app versions I have already.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

The tell tale is to create a note  and leave it open on that device.  Now, also open that same note on your other device. Within seconds you should see an avater for you appear in the top right of the note editor.  Type on one device and you will see the text appear on the other as you type.

If you are one of the very few to yet have the new sync then try again on Saturday when it is promised for everyone.

A newer application is not required for the new sync.  It is enabled at the server side.

Ahh!  OK, this will be interesting.

No avatar seen as yet.  Will wait until next week.

Interestingly, it did copy over the text from my desktop Win V10 to Android V10 very quickly - like 20 seconds or less.

• Level 5

To see the avatar appear, you need to open the very same note on 2 devices, and (often) bring one of them into editing mode. Then it appears fast. Any device that opens the same note adds another avatar. This works within of one account, but it works as well on shared notes with different users. No more „Who is in the note, need to phone to make him leave“.

You can try (easier to perform if you are a piano player) to type on both devices simultaneously - and you see how both streams of input are merging. Absolutely amazing, at least from my few first trials.

image.thumb.jpeg.bf81f5dfb5cc2b8f0d313951fe30ef2f.jpeg

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

To see the avatar appear, you need to open the very same note on 2 devices, and (often) bring one of them into editing mode. Then it appears fast. Any device that opens the same note adds another avatar. This works within of one account, but it works as well on shared notes with different users. No more „Who is in the note, need to phone to make him leave“.

You can try (easier to perform if you are a piano player) to type on both devices simultaneously - and you see how both streams of input are merging. Absolutely amazing, at least from my few first trials.

image.thumb.jpeg.bf81f5dfb5cc2b8f0d313951fe30ef2f.jpeg

LOL   nope, not yet for me.

I ended up with triplicates of my test note.  We'll test again next week.

That does seem to be a significant improvement.

Any word on if they resolved the  issue with the editor adding in extra blank lines when copy & pasting?

• Level 5

Has nothing to do with syncing.

If you want to hear something official, ask support. We users can notice if anything changed when it was solved through a release.

If I remember correctly, this is about pasting into a code block. And I don’t care about an extra line inserted into a code block. So I would probably not even notice when it was solved.

It was to do with copying and pasting text (not code) from emails, PDF's, and Word docs into the EN note.

I'll find the other thread.  Was just hoping you'd seen it in a briefing.

• Level 5

Actually we are other users - we don’t get briefings or the like. Just forum members with „STAFF“ on their badge are employees. So you get our daily mix of preposterous assumptions, wild guesses and too much booze. Cheerio 🥳 !

• Level 5

You read the answers ?

A sync button, years 1990-style will NEVER come back, made obsolete by technical changes.

It really is unbelievable: EN launches the largest revision of how syncing works since the service was started 15 years ago, and some fellow users have nothing more to do than go nagging for a detail that is simply not needed any more.

Or can you describe what the purpose of a sync button would be with an app that is syncing every tiny bit of edits in fractions of a second ? You couldn't even press it fast enough to get ahead of the automatic syncing. While you would still be moving the mouse pointer to hit it, the sync has already completed.

• Level 5

Honestly (I think I said this a few dozen messages back), maybe Evernote should just put a button in the interface. It wouldn't have to do anything. It would just have to look like it had been clicked. People who feel a need for extra certainty that a sync has happened would have something to click (while the sync has already happened). Belt, suspenders, rope, duct tape....

• Haha 1

OH YEAH!!  😲

I see it now with an update that came through today via the Microsoft Store.

I see my avatar icon at top right and even more impressive is a coloured vertical marker, like a mouse position marker, at the EXACT character I'm editing with an matching colour  "ID" flag off the top and to the right of that vertical coloured marker.  That ID Flag disappears after a couple of seconds if you do nothing but as soon as you start typing it reappears along with the characters you are typing, in near real time.

It is a red marker &  flag when I make the edits on my laptop and am watching it on my phone.  It is a green vertical marker &  flag when I edit on my phone and am watching it on my laptop.

In near real time.

And as soon as you leave EDIT mode in one device, your avatar at upper right on the other device disappears.  I almost cannot turn my head fast enough to look from one screen over to the other to see it fade away.

That is definitely cool!!!   👍

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Yes, @Carl-L-ND, that seems to be the deal. It really is impressive to watch. Still working out what I'm going to do with it, since I'm a solo user of Evernote. But it makes me want to open a note in 2 devices just to watch the show. I think the colors may vary each time you edit on multiple devices (also cool IMHO). And text being typed on other devices appears in the Android app even when not in edit mode. Also see the article on collaborative editing that has just been published: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/12748274247059.

Does not work with  legacy Win ver 6 as expected.

I edited in ver 6 while having the note open to view on my phone, possibly in edit mode. Manaually sync'd.

An exclamation mark appeared on the Sync button at upper left in Win v6 but I did not see a duplicate note created anywhere.  And hovering my mouse over the exclamation mark does not pop up any clue to what has happened.

The changes did not sync immediately to the the phone app, even after using the manual sync function from deep in the the Settings menu.

About 5 minutes later a duplicate has shown up in "Conflicting Changes".

Oh dang.  I so much prefer copy and paste from ver 6 as v10 really screws up formatting and inserts empty lines/spaces.

• Evernote Expert

@viverechristus If you are relying on the older Android app, I think you would be wise to stick with the Legacy desktop. V10 and Legacy are likely to play less well together as developments continue.

Even so, have a plan when Legacy stops working which it surely will in the next year or so.

• Like 1

The latest Android app is still not syncing for me even when it says it is.  An audio note I took last night on my phone - a large one, I'll admit - had to be force-refreshed this morning to actually push to the servers (even though I had hit the checkmark to indicate it was done editing and gone back to the main page, not just swiped away).  I suspect my not-the-latest phone is part of the problem, but that just points to the main part of it, which is that I suspect I'm not a part of the target market for Evernote anymore.  All I want is to take notes - text, audio, and pictures - for myself on my phone and have them available (as quickly as the bandwidth and servers can support) on a computer.  

On 5/8/2023 at 1:53 AM, viverechristus said:

Same for me. The "You need to update" prompt has very recently become VERY annoying, multiple times a day. I tried the latest version. I see no compelling reasons to stop using the Legacy version, and several good reasons to keep using the Legacy version.

Bart

Every so often I stop using Legacy EN and try the new version. (Recently I get a notification every day.) The switch never lasts long. Today I tried again. There's goofy interface stuff in the new EN that's worse, of course, but I persist.

Then I make a note on my phone, and it syncs (this is the old Android version, since the new EN won't run on my Android 9 phone). I go back to my computer to edit the note in EN 10. The note never shows up. I do a force refresh. Nope. I close and reopen. Nope. So I close and go to EN Legacy. Boom! There it is, almost immediately.

• Level 5

You seem to have a problem with your very mixed and pretty outdated setup.

As much as I can accept it works for you, I doubt this is a blueprint for other users. My experience on more up to date (but not new) equipment is: It just works.

I had a note open today on 2 devices - both iOS mobile. It was amazing to see how on one device the edits appeared the moment I typed them on the other, with a little flag carrying my name, moving where the typing appeared.

No syncing button could replicate this experience. The syncing button for me is the visible stigma of an era that’s over.