Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

bigphilwalks
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

Hello,

On one of my computers I've written new notes (using Windows app, not website) which never showed on another computer.

I've solved this with following steps:

-    I've signed out from Evernote (on the computer which refused to synch notes)

-    When logging out I did not select backing up

-    I've confirmed logging out

-    I've logged in again

The missing notes were shown on another computer as well.

Btw, restarting Windows didn't help at all.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure they are in this horrible trend in product management where people are told to try 'feature reduction' and see if your business  KPIs moves the right way to understand how isefull this feature was .... this is absurd but oh well ... let's suspend auto renewal and see what's what

• Level 5

It syncs faster than you are able to move the mouse to tell it to sync.

You can follow what it does by looking at the (light grey) text bottom right of the EN window.

Maybe we don't like how it syncs - but syncing it does. In this case an additional button is really not an additional feature (and BTW I think to count the number of buttons is one of the weakest measures for the quality of a piece of software. Or do you think the MS ribbons full of tiny little button icons are the greatest invention since bottled orange juice ?).

• Level 5

I think (without deeper knowledge) that the Google approach was to create very granular files from the beginning. In case several parties work at the document together, every one can work on a detail, and the work syncs only that detail into the „mother“ document. If you are working alone, it still only syncs small packages, not the whole document.

With EN AFAIK the whole note serves as an entity - which means syncing is always syncing the note, not only a little element that was changed. Not easy to solve, at least it takes them pretty long to get it fixed.

Hello there and after a year I'm still very gutted no manual sync button is restored. 

It's a real shame to this product that I've been using for years, and reading the comments here I'm giving Google Docs a try. Really, in my case it doesn't work as good as a manual button (and somehow i'm glad my contract with EN is up in a few days).  Why not just respect users' wish?

A manual sync and an auto one aren't mutually exclusive eh?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a manual sync : Hold down the alt/opt key (at least this is the key on the Mac) before clicking on Help. There will be a new menu item „Troubleshooting“. Behind it you have an option to Reload, and another for Force Reload.

So there is a Sync button, but they've cleverly obscured it.  That's crazy.  I've run into sync issues quite a bit recently.  EN: bring it backi, PLEASE!

The automatic sync does not always work and a manual sync button should still be available.

I get sync from android to the cloud, but it sometimes takes 15 minutes to finally sync with the Windows app.

Since the big change in the so called upgrade, the Android app has really been unbearably slow for scanning, moving note to a notebook, and tagging. I have had it with the lack of EN addressing the issue. I am cancelling the paid prescription and moving elsewhere.

• Like 1

I've been saying the same thing to all developers on all computer platforms since the very first IBM PC came out (which I bought), which is that you can ADD anything you like if you "think" you're improving the program, but NEVER, EVER take anything away. Why? Due to the individual idiosyncrasies of millions of users. Just because the developers and powers that be decide a features is not important, does NOT mean there aren't millions of users that think it is, and furthermore have designed their workflow around it (in some cases). Evernotes claim that notes "automatically sync" is simply not correct! That may be what it's SUPPOSED to do, and it may IN TIME, but if I need to work with a note RIGHT NOW that was scanned or otherwise captured, I don't want to wait on Evernote to decide when I want to see it. I want to see it when I WANT to see it, which may be an unreasonable request if I were asking for something NEW, but I'm only asked for what was ALREADY THERE to be left alone! 

For the billionth time in 25+ years, developers, PLEASE STOP FIXING THINGS THAT AREN'T BROKEN! Trust me, EverNote has got PLENTY of stuff that IS broken (like snail's pace speed and constant crashes (hourly)), so work on THOSE things and stop trying to "HELP" users that are happily using what USED to be there. 

Come on, this is basic, common sense. Please stop trying to complicate things just for the sake of change. 

Thank you.... 

Evernote sync changes aside... if a piece of software works a certain way or has a certain feature -- the developer has to support that for... eternity? That doesn't sound in line with any software I've ever seen. (Sounds like a 'who moved my cheese?' issue.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I don‘t understand this mantra of „never take anything away“. Is it because the computing power is growing all of the time ? Then this is one of the reasons why we should take things „away“. Because our own human „computing power“ is not growing, by design. So we should use the power of the machines to reduce the decisions we have to make.

Simplicity in doing the things we want to do is the key, not keeping every button alive just because it had been there for a while. I do not want to care about syncing - I want it to happen, fast and reliable. EN sync does it - they pretty much ironed out the initial problems with v10. I hope they will make the next step this year, as announced, with a general overhaul of the syncing engine.

I don't care about the manual sync button if the program is auto-syncing as it should. And I doubt having a manual sync would change that if there is a problem with syncing.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Elshad said:

I don't care about the manual sync button if the program is auto-syncing as it should. And I doubt having a manual sync would change that if there is a problem with syncing.

Totally agree. Having a sync button seems a little old skool nowadays. None of the software and apps I use have a sync button. Email turns up automatically, spreadsheet saves every character, so does word processor. My invoice software just syncs payments and things on the fly. I never have to press a button. Its great!

I think that this thread has gotten a bit off topic.  I agree that the sync button should be restored.  The ability to manually kick off a sync and wait for it to complete provides the user with confidence prior to editing notes that have been edited on another device and before closing the app - not to mention monitoring an initial sync, which can take many hours.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

I don‘t understand this mantra of „never take anything away“. Is it because the computing power is growing all of the time ? Then this is one of the reasons why we should take things „away“. Because our own human „computing power“ is not growing, by design. So we should use the power of the machines to reduce the decisions we have to make.

Simplicity in doing the things we want to do is the key, not keeping every button alive just because it had been there for a while. I do not want to care about syncing - I want it to happen, fast and reliable. EN sync does it - they pretty much ironed out the initial problems with v10. I hope they will make the next step this year, as announced, with a general overhaul of the syncing engine.

Because dumb ass, the syncing of Evernote fails or there wouldn't be 3 pages of posts from users requesting a solution to it not syncing.  What is your bizarre infatuation to defend evernote while emasculating real people with real problems with the product? If you can't offer a solution why do you reply to a thread just to post snarky bitchy responses to people? Get a life. Obviously there is a huge problem with syncying nobody needs you to keep replying to people about how its not a problem for you, its not about you, its about the people having the problem.

• Level 5

Did you read any of my posts ?

Then you would know there is a full set of syncing options, including a keyboard shortcut  in the desktop clients.

From several threads about syncing it is notable that many users don’t understand the syncing process. They are looking for the cause of syncing problems where they are not to be found.

A button (which would only mimic the already existing automatic and manual sync) will not „solve“ anything. EN has announced they will overhaul the syncing process this year - let us wait for the outcome.

For the rest of your posting maybe take your own advise.

• Level 5
On 6/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, hmart said:

I think that this thread has gotten a bit off topic.  I agree that the sync button should be restored.  The ability to manually kick off a sync and wait for it to complete provides the user with confidence prior to editing notes that have been edited on another device and before closing the app - not to mention monitoring an initial sync, which can take many hours.

Ctrl+R.

• Like 1

EVERNOTE: Please bring back the sync button - and ideally add a progress indicator.

So often, on PC and Android, I can't tell if syncing is happening... I exit and re-enter the app to try to force syncing... and syncing can take 10 minutes for a 1-sentence note (which is unacceptable - Google Keep syncs instantly)

• Level 5

PC: Look at the bottom right of the frame of the EN window. What do you read ?

Usually: All changes saved, unless it is in that moment syncing, then the text will say something else. When it says „All changes saved“ sync has executed. Because - EN syncs instantly …

Check, set, done, solved.

Since you posted x times, I will not answer the Android question here. A little cliffhanger must be.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

When it says „All changes saved“ sync has executed. Because - EN syncs instantly

That is wrong. "All changes saved" has nothing to do with sync state. Try it out: type something, wait for "all saved", immediately force close the windows app and check on Evernote web. Your last edits will never show up until you restart the windows app for completing sync. Since introduction of EN10 for windows no change. At least - some months ago -  they added a wait-for-sync message when trying to exit the windows app via quit while the "saved changes" are not synced yet. Important: you can be quite sure sync has completed if the app let's close itself via menu-quit.

Hope the sync overhaul CEO announced brings the engine to a level one could expect in 2022.

• Level 5

You say it is not syncing if you force close it. No surprise here. You can pull the LAN cable, turn off the router, enable flight mode, drop a stone on the device, whatever. We are not talking users here killing the syncing intentionally. When you kill, you don‘t need a syncing indicator to tell the syncing has stopped.

If you are using it regularly, it syncs right away, and it does not stop to do so until the syncing is finished. Contrary to legacy it will not accumulate changes in the local database. You edit, it syncs directly.

Just gave it a try: Added a photo with several MB to a note. Without doing anything else, network traffic picked up within a second, and did not stop until a figure corresponding to the MB-size of the photo has been passed through, after a few seconds.

If you want to know exactly when this happens, there are network supervisors that will show you the internet traffic. If on any reasonably fast network (mine was through a personal hotspot, which usually is not among the fastest), it will be done within a few seconds.

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm sitting here for 25 minutes...

I created some new notes on my desktop this morning, and I open up evernote on my laptop 8 hours later and the notes I created aren't there. Go look at my desktop, there they are. 

I swear to God these idiots sit around and figure out how can we make a product worse this month?

• Level 5

The best way to check on any syncing question always has been to check the status on the web client. Difficult for Free users, since it counts as a device.

All clients are „always syncing“. On desktop see the status message on the window frame bottom right. The mobile clients are synced when none of the notes show an „sync outstanding“ indicator, a green triangle.

• Evernote Expert

There's are a number of reasons why sync may not take place. For example, one user, yesterday, discovered that restarting their router kicked things back into life. Sometimes the local data becomes stuck and the option to sign out and remove allows it to be rebuilt.

You have the sync options in the desktop apps Ctrl+R (reload) and Ctrl+Shift+R (force reload) but these likely won't work if the other issues aren't fixed if broken 

Oddly enough, a note I deleted on Friday or Saturday (deleted from within Legacy EN) is still showing in my Windows desktop V10 this Monday morning as I start work.  Of course I clicked the SYNC button from the Legacy EN as is habit.

As expected it is gone in my Windows Legacy EN but also in my V10 Android app.  I spent several hours working within both Legacy and V10 EN after deleting this note and I have done a CTRL R and CTRL SHIFT R to reload the V10 desktop multiple times including again this morning.

Notably the bottom right hand corner of my V10 window shows "All changes saved."

• Level 5

It looks as if you have a corrupted local database on your desktop install.

This should fix it:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote