Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

bigphilwalks
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Randy Zeitman said:

If you can't have the sync button can you at least show a green dot or something to indicate it is syncing?

If my WIFI indicator is spinning there's no way to know what app is updating.

Bottom right corner is text which mostly says "All changes saved" but if you can watch and type at the same time you'll see it update as you are working you'll see it change to "Saving" as you type along...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Bottom right corner is text which mostly says "All changes saved" but if you can watch and type at the same time you'll see it update as you are working you'll see it change to "Saving" as you type along...

This is unacceptable!

• Level 5
1 minute ago, panhead48 said:

This is unacceptable!

OK - how does this continue ?

• Jump out of the window ? (Go to the basement first)
  • Sue another user for psychologically irritating postings ? (only if both are based in the US)
  • Have a nice Glas of red wine to calm down ? (My choice)

We agree we don’t like v10 as it is at the moment, maybe never, but a little more substance would help to get out of this messy situation.

Just updated evernote and was frantically searching for sync button. Seems they have made it instant sync - seems to be working well between my laptop and tablet. One thing that helps is click any other note and back to the note you are editing and it surely syncs it. I would say it is a positive change. One thing I do notice is the preference options are gone - in a way better since fewer things to mess up on.

Thanks to Evernote team for offering such a useful tool.

The new Evernote for Windows is very slow to sync with the web. I can't find a sync button in the new app. I need to be able to sync the app so that it displays the most recent notes.

The syncing capabilities between my phone, tablet, laptop and web are crucial. The tagging of notes is crucial. 

I'll be honest... I've been using this product since 2008 (I'm a premium user). This new update has basically destroyed the functionality of the product.  It is slow... very slow. Doesn't sync very well. Some tagging functions are no longer available. You've removed functions that I used daily. I may need to find another solution, which is sad. A few days ago before I switched... I was still a very happy customer.

• Like 2

It would be ok if "automatic" synch also meant "instantaneous" sync but it doesn't; it could a few minutes or longer to reflect across devices or across shared notes. If you share a lot of Evernote notes--and want to your users to get them immediately, or if you just want to see how they render in the public link version--waiting and waiting for them to update on Evernote's time is killing my productivity. Yes we need the auto synch function. But we also and, non-negotiably, need to bring back the push-to-sync button.

• Like 7

Are we all still waiting for the sync button to come back? I've found so many issues with the changes that were made with the lastest update. I can't believe how frustrating using this app has become. For example, why does Evernote have to create a new note for every screenshot I take? I'm now waisting my time deleting 20+ useless notes everyday. 

• Like 2

I concur with you. The New Evernote has destroyed regular daily functions that are important to me, has thrown my productivity into a tailspin during a crucial time when I needed it for daily critical care. This leaves me to research other product options. I too am a paid subscriber, I've been on board since 2012 or 2013.

• Like 2

After YEARS of asking for making a note safe from the DELETE button, Y'all finally, Finally, FINALLY disabled the DELETE button!

Unfortunately, Y'all have shot yourselves in the foot so bad with this 10.3 release that I can't get anything done!!!   I hate this version!  NO SYNC BUTTON?!?!?!   What are y'all thinking?   Do the programmers even use Evernote?!?!?

The previous version was light-years better than this *****! 

• Like 2

PLEASE bring back the sync button - spinning cicle - "I know, I know...you magically eliminated the need for it."  Perhaps my request isn't the most accurate solution, but I will tell you this...I am having consistent and repeated sync issues...just lost changes to a note from this morning...again!  Yes, all systems are up to date, system restarted etc...i did all that...I even check note history and it's WRONG...says the last time I updated the note was weeks ago....I use this note regularly throughout the week including again this morning only to find all entries from the past couple of weeks have dissappeared.  Why am I paying a premium for this!

• Like 3

the launch of version 10 has been a big problem and a huge step back.   I've been premium user for years and have my whole life on Evernote.  It's shaken my confidence, my daily workflow is disrupted, I'm spending an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting issues, finding duplicate notes, rebooting, etc to get Evernote to work.   Found a new problem today in that not all machines will run the same version.  When checking for updates, one machine loads 10.4.4 the other running 10.3.7 gives me a message that it's the current version.   Still having problems with blank notes coming up.   The thought of changing tools is frightening, however, I can't continue to spend this much time making a 'productivity' tool productive...   How long before this platform is stable again?

• Like 6

Feels silly commenting here. When so many have already raised the point. Manual sync button is a mandatory function for me.
I use google drive a lot their auto sync actually works but to have terrible auto sync and to remove manual sync makes no sense.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, panhead48 said:

He had nothing to say except make fun of people who were inquiring and you know this

I know that @bigphilwalks has only one post, requesting information about the sync button

"automatic" syncing does not always work!

You guys made me waste 15 minutes I didn't have trying to find the manual sync option since a new note did not show up on my iPad

I would've NEVER installed the new version had I known it would be a step backwards

I have just wasted more than ten minutes waiting to see whether a very important note sent by email gets added to the right notebook and still nothing! Eliminating the sync button was a major mistake and not reacting promptly to the request to bring it back is another one. If I lose trust in Evernote I move to a different product!

• Like 1

I too have the same problem.  Blank notes showing up.   Messed up formatting from "web-clipped" notes.   I was updated a couple-3 weeks back when my Mac said there was an Update.   Now I wished I hadn't updated.    I have been a premium user for a long time (since 2009 I think).   And like others I have my "whole life" in Evernote.   The presence of that 'sync' button is such a comfort that I need to know that I have control over Evernote data!  

What does it take to get it back?

--jan

• Like 1

I've found the only way to (semi) reliably sync any notes edited/created from the execrable new Windows 10 mess is to reboot my PC... And even this doesn't work every time.

I have downgraded to the legacy version that I can actually sync notes from and that doesn't seem to have been prototyped and signed-off by inebriated chimps. I will remain there until Evernote re-integrates manual sync, fixes the auto-sync so that it ACTUALLY auto-syncs occasionally, or I get so fed up with Evernote's apparent self-destructive madness that I just suck up my distrust of all things Microsoft and migrate to OneNote...

• Like 2

Syncing between devices still is a terrible problem.   I'm not sure what the issue was with the old sync but I never had the number of duplicate notes.   I get popups identifying "more than  on version" all the time but they don't show in the list view so it's often impossible to clean them up.  Never had this problem before....  I read in the blog that evernote has identified these issues, but don't know what the timing is to resolve them.  

• Like 1

Version 10 is a joke. Nothing what I used to use is working: 

- No Sync button (and it is not syncing).

- No Export of all notes (i.e., no backup).

- Filtering by tags - not working realtime (I remove tag, the note is still in the list)

I am starting to search for another note taking product (again). It looks like any change in Evernote is for worse.

For now, I recommend to anybody who cares about his data to go back to version 6:  https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe

• Like 1

Is anyone from Evernote going to address the angry masses, or is it more likely they ignore us until we give up and take our money elsewhere?

Historically speaking, do they respond to customer feedback?

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am a relatively new user (Jan 2020) and I switched to Evernote to have better integration between my phone notes and desktop ones.

As many in the thread have already noted, my Evernote desktop is completely disconnected from my phone without manual sync button. 

I don't really want to, but I will for sure be switching to a different service if this isn't fixed.

• Like 1

Yes it syncs automatically maybe everyword but there are still real world cases where the button is essential.
1. Internet problems so you can manually sync get a ok message before you close the damn thing.
2. when installing the PC version I type something and I just hit install and relaunch. Then I go away forget all about it. Then come back and see the note I typed is gone or there is new note window but no title in there. Now this is where it makes EN redundant. You just cannot remember it.
3. Same thing happens when I am sleepy. Right now Its 1:24 AM I got up from my sleep to make a note. So I had the above popup. So after typing the entire note I thought of hitting the sync button before I install and relaunch and now its 1:24. So even if there is no reinstall. I am too sleepy or too much in a hurry. So I just type in a few words and got off. If it doesnt sync and my PC restarts or something then I lose it.
yes some of us still live in third world and developing countries. Where power fails the net is not reliable. This is where the sync button comes handy
I know it syncs everything but still having the button puts me at rest.
I always tend to forget notes so I just type in a few words then come back when I am free or awake to finish the entire thing.
If they don't bring it back I am cancelling my plan and moving to something else.

This request has been made by other users and the thread is marked as resolved, but this issue is not resolved. This morning I installed the latest version of EN on my macbook only to discover that the manual synch and manual save features are no longer available. I immediately researched and discovered that I was not the only user missing these features, but the "resolution" was listed as being that the new version of EN automatically saves and synchs. I have had problems with auto synch working in a timely manner so I ALWAYS save and synch before I leave one workstation. I decided to test out the auto synch feature on the new version, thinking maybe it was improved, but alas, my concerns were validated. Auto synch does not keep up with my natural pace moving between two devices. Here is how I tested: I edited a note by typing in "this is a test" on the mac/desktop version of EN, then WAITED until I saw "saved" in the bottom right corner,  (NOTE: I could have manually saved faster), then I picked up my phone and clicked on the EN icon, only to see that the note where I typed in "this is a test" only had "this is" included ... incomplete synchs are not helpful or reassuring. This is a biggest enough concern to me that I immediately closed out the "new and improved" (latest version) of EN and re-installed the legacy version. PLEASE EN team, restore the manual synch button AND the manual SAVE feature (that used to be available via file/save.) I am a paying subscriber and this latest update is enough to make me want to make the time to research a different note software.

This version of evernote is just frustrating, what happened to this amazing service, 11 or 12 years with the service and now, I can get some work done only with difficulty. Notes are not syncing, the platform is slow, notes do not get saved, can't e-mail them. I bet it will take a year for everything to get back to the level we need for our productivity.

I hope evernote is reading these threads because:

i'm struggling to understand something....

I can't find a single thing that has been improved by this update!

But there are at least 10 useful features that have been removed, and doing anything is noticeably SLOWER. 

Removing features is not necessary (unless you want to alienate long time users)

DATES on the notes is sometimes critical when I can't remember a search term that doesn't result in way too many results. Therefore, evernote developers, please return the ability to manually  change the created date. 

Also please return the ability to view the entire note without automatically changing the "modified date" doing that moves an old note to the top of the thumbnail list.

and it should not take multiple clicks to view a note! We don't need the URL every time, and we should be able to see the entire note in the viewing  window

Would like to second your frustration. I used Evernote sporadically for years but the demands of a spring project made me a paying customer. I'm starting to regret that. I work from home and live in a semi-rural area where internet service options are limited. The best I can get is a satellite-based service so there can be a delays, particularly during peak times. That's why I've always done my syncing manually, usually during off-peak times so I don't incur extra charges. But, with every note syncing individually, any benefit of Evernote is being consumed in time delays as I have to wait every time I finish a note. And then I have to check the sync and sometimes go back and resave. Much more efficient to add 5 notes and sync them all at once.  I guess I 'll have to figure out how to re-install the legacy version. Thanks for that tip!

Been a huge Evernote fan for years. I'm not surprised to find this thread, after being frustrated with the many many "sync conflicts" as I'm using Evernote between my laptop and iPhone. Before, I always made sure it is the latest copy before I edited anywhere (by syncing first), now I almost never get the latest copy and hence create a ton of conflicted notes.

Removing the button is a great idea to simplify the UI/UX, but the psychology behind it is definitely proven to be more than "an extra step the user has to take". It is a button to put control in our hands, and to have confidence in cross-device syncing. Or solve the syncing issue so that we can use Evernote smoothly without the button - this could be a way to move forward instead of backward. I hope the Evernote team can see this.

Yes, I too am a huge fan of Evernote so my workaround was to give up on the problematic app and use the web version which is great for sync. So, I send content to Evernote, then check on iPhone to confirm. That’s it - go the web version and it will be there also. For me, the web version is great experience. 

The lack of a hard sync has cost me already, in two different ways. The first, I cut pasted and didn't do a good job. The back. button did not work to allow me to get content, and so I lost content. The second was the search function returned the header of a note, that I could not access, nor see the notebook it belonged to. I went to where I thought it would be, and it wasn't there. I searched for a key word specific to that note and only the header was returned.  It was shared by my partner and she had it on hers fully...so I went into the notebook where the note was and found it, where it was missing a moment before.

I have to assume you are doing this to support web enablement...and probably aren't addressing this thread due to the fact that you know it will be an issue or you are getting bought out and don't want to stir the pot knowing that data loss as an issue with worth losing millions in a deal.

Been with you guys through all kinds of iterations but today I actually need to go over to google docs because you guys now are now messing with my sense of security about what I keep.

• Level 5*
On 1/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, mabell said:

The lack of a hard sync has cost me already, in two different ways. The first, I cut pasted and didn't do a good job. The back. button did not work to allow me to get content, and so I lost content. The second was the search function returned the header of a note, that I could not access, nor see the notebook it belonged to. I went to where I thought it would be, and it wasn't there. I searched for a key word specific to that note and only the header was returned.  It was shared by my partner and she had it on hers fully...so I went into the notebook where the note was and found it, where it was missing a moment before.

I have to assume you are doing this to support web enablement...and probably aren't addressing this thread due to the fact that you know it will be an issue or you are getting bought out and don't want to stir the pot knowing that data loss as an issue with worth losing millions in a deal.

Been with you guys through all kinds of iterations but today I actually need to go over to google docs because you guys now are now messing with my sense of security about what I keep.

Data loss and sync conflicts here. It's not rocket science, I think, because it has already been discussed ad nauseam. The thing is that Evernote has already developed some really detailed sync features in the past. It's all been done before, and they could have been building on their past successes little by little over the last decade + to develop an amazing app, but instead we have to go through this cycle of scrapping it all and restarting from scratch again (this "complete redesign" has been done before as well---2010, 2012, 2014, etc.). Yes, I know someone on the developer team would likely say that this time is "different." But, is it? At one point, the code was entirely rewritten from C#/WPF to C++. Recognize any of the reasoning? "...As a result, we ended up chasing down platform bugs rather than adding the great features our users wanted. So we decided to start over from scratch, with fast, native C++ that we knew we could rely on. As you’ll see, the results are amazing. This new version will set a foundation for rapid improvement." Sounds the same to me... too many bugs, too many problems, this is all to add great features, and now we can have more rapid improvement!

Actually, I'm fine if they want to rebuild the app, and I'm fine if they want to re-shuffle the UI, etc. It's not as if the previous version of the app was perfect or anything close to it. I can adapt to just about anything, except an app that doesn't work as well, loses data, or is missing features that are never to return. That's not an app I find especially useful.

In the end, whatever you call this "upgrade," great features and design elements that benefitted from years of developer thought and user feedback have been scrapped because someone decided it wasn't necessary. I feel pretty confident in saying that no actual users contacted Evernote and asked them to get rid of the sync button! 

• Like 2

I agree as well.  The new Evernote is horrible without the sync button!!!  Please add it back.  I regularly capture email and web pages with the evernote clipper and now I have no way to refresh so I can annotate immediately after the capture!  I now have to exit Evernote and re-open in order for my new note from a capture to show up.  HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!  I also have been a subscriber almost since inception of the application.

I'd like to voice my support for this request, as well. Losing the manual sync button on the desktop app (in my case, Mac) was a terrible idea. For example, I use the ScanSnap cloud service to push scanned documents into Evernote. I scan 5-10 documents daily and each usually takes maybe 30-60 seconds to show up in Evernote on my iOS devices that can still manually sync. The "automatic" sync in the desktop app sometimes works within a few minutes and sometimes takes significantly longer. For example, I scanned a document over an hour ago that is visible on iOS and via the web client but not on either of my desktop apps (laptop and desktop devices). 

I'm not opposed to automatic sync, especially when it is reliable (Evernote's obviously isn't), but the user should always have controls that allow for manual syncing across devices. I'm very puzzled by this design choice by the Evernote dev team.

I agree, manual sync is VERY helpful. I have a weeks-long open support ticket con duplicate notes across devices including web browser access and basically, autosync is part of the problem - still doesn't work reliably, especially for frequently edited and longer notes.

Bring back a button across platforms (or a gesture, or a shortcut, or all) - some way to manually refresh in ALL platforms including web browser. And as importantly, fix the underlying corporate policies where Evernote programmers decide to *remove* features and basically do NOT do it. It is one thing to add a new feature or move things around, but *removing* a feature really creates havoc. If you decide a feature isn't that widely used, move it to a menu or somewhere else, and, the annoyance factor is way down. And moving forward, delay rolling out any new code base until it can support 100% of existing features with stability.

I just saw, that even EN 10 for Android still shows this little green flags on notes, that are not yet synced from device to the cloud. This is what we knew from Evernote Legacy as well. Bringing this back to the desktop would give me much peace of mind of having my work with me after leaving the desk as I could easily see, what is synced or not. 

OMG! Now in a loop of being locked out of Evernote online. Logged in on iPhone using same credentials, but EN says no such account for same email. So try to get some help and says you need to login and then won’t let you login. There is an upgrade button for support :(

Anyone else have similar problem in EN online in Win10 and a fix?

Or maybe Evernote support could help me?

hmm...

Even on EN10.8.4 auto-sync not reliable. Example: From time to time clipped content does not show up on the EN-windows-client until I restart the client completely. That is bad and the opposite of what is claimed by Evernote for the best-of-all-times EN10-client. I would appreciate either programming a reliable sync service (app / server knowing, that it has not synced for xxxx time and doing it really automatically) or please re-add the sync button for us users. Thank you!

After some weeks of not using a specific maschine, I updated EN to 10.8.4 and tried to use it...
In parallel I opened Legacy. Both instances had to sync their data...

Legacy succeeded after app. 5 minutes - EN-10 seems to do nothing since > 60 minutes.
Klicking on a tag that should lead to 12 notes: Legacy answers immediately and shows all 12 notes.
EN-10 answer immediately and shows only 2 notes (in spite of telling me "(12)" right beside the tag name). After some time, it shows 3 notes - whow - sync is running! (*)

BUT there is no other indicator like the rolling arrows in Legacyimage.png.b10154f2718aee83f6ea9fd8ae715629.png
AND the sync takes an eternity (are there other servers active for EN-10-clients?)

==> We really need an the sync-indicator (to understand what's going on) and a button to manually trigger a sync if we are in doubt of the sync state...

(*) updates
Do, 11.02.21 18:50:  it shows 4 notes now!
Do, 11.02.21 22:12: all 12 notes are here 👍(but I had to exit/restart EN-10)

• Like 1

I vote strongly for returning this ability to sync as well. I am getting far more duplicated notes now with conflicts. (a better conflict resolver would be nice too).

This is esp. true if you use the Windows app and the IOS app a lot.  The Windows app might sync better (although certainly not perfect between two Windows devices), but the IOS app does not seem to sync the same way.

I like almost all the changes in the recent release.  This change (removing manual sync) I do not. I spend more time cleaning up conflicted notes and reduces my efficiency. The opposite of what you want with EN.

Add me to the list of those who are not happy with the sync button and status time/date removed.  Long time paying customer, 10+ years, and will consider switching based on this. Use Onenote for other business functions and problem just migrate.   On various platforms where I have Evernote files, occasionally an issue with wifi, cell coverage, etc...  And files may or may not be synced.  Only way to be 100% sure is to "click" the sync button and see the time/date of last sync.   Can not understand why on earth this would be removed.  Ridiculous.  Oh and the "all changes saved" is useless if you are screen clipping out of the app.  Go back to the app and you have no way of knowing if "all changes saved" includes your new screen clippings since its the message will be there from last edits before the screen clipping?   

Please put the manual sync button back! Sometimes, there is a delay in content syncing between devices and the synch may be needed immediately due to needing to log off the computer for whatever reason.

Thank you for all that you do to keep Evernote functional with such nice enhancements and that you listen to your customers needs and requests!

This is why I hate updating Evernote because it's always one step forward, one step back.  Sometimes it takes me a while to realize what the step back was, but this time it was obvious within seconds of getting the newest version.  The sync button disappeared.  

This is the same frustrating garbage that we saw when Android, for example, removed the quick restart option in their OS for several versions because "we made so many improvements you won't need to restart!"  No, you're wrong.  I use my phone way more than the average person and I need these tools you think no one else needs.

In comes evernote with the same logic.  "We removed the sync button because it will auto sync now!"  No.  I want to be able to manually sync when I don't see the note I'm looking for.  I don't have time to wait until your algorithms determine it's time to sync, sometimes I'm in a hurry to upload a note on one device, open it quickly on the desktop app and paste some thoughts on it before I have to run off to do something else (meeting for work, leave the house to do an errand, go to the bathroom, etc). 

Please bring back the manual sync option. And shame on you for thinking you won't need one or that the people won't notice...

I am a Premium user for more than 10 years. I just recently noticed this, as a note I just mailed in from my iPhone refuses to show on Evernote on one of my Windows machines. The sharing issues on iOS, and now also this, no manual sync, and syncing not working. Come on, this makes me thinking about leaving. I am paying for a service that to me is not getting better. You should fix this, and then compensate long-time users.

Bring back the option for manual sync.  I just created a new notebook on Windows, and then moved to use it on iOS and its not there.  Not on Web Evernote either.  

So instead of getting my work done I am spending my time trying to get Evernote to work.

When your tools demand more of your time than your work, its time to change tools.

• Like 1

I agree this is a TERRIBLE IDEA to remove a manual sync button! 😳
Why? Because there have been many times when something was erase, damaged or actually deleted in error and ONLY because I had a manual sync button was I able to troubleshoot, selectively choose to get the original file off the server or another device to replenish it on the device where the problem occurred. Had I not been able to manually sync I would have lost a LOT of data!

Evernote, you do so much so well, please don't mess with success! 😮
I LOVE and DEPEND on EVERNOTE, some 3000 notes worth, for year, my whole life, all my vendors, creditors, contacts, EVERYTHING!
And I have heavily edified EVERNOTE to my client base and colleagues, 
But this change to NO SYNC BUTTON, on top of the inconveniently located MISSING SEARCH BAR, are DEAL KILLER AWFUL decisions!
My anxieties are multiplied by the former, and my work is super interrupted constantly by the latter* 

* I work with Evernote open on the left side of my computer ALWAYS, for updating every record for everything I do for anything in my life or work.
I usually hide the notes list on the left off the screen, working only in an open note on the right side,
moving the Evernote open app ONLY when I MUST access the notes list....
which was rarely before this upgrade, because there was always a search space ABOVE each note. 
Now I have to totally interrupt my workflow, access the open doc, slide it left on top of all my other work, and it is WASTING TIME and FOCUS.

🙏 PLEASE FIX BOTH ASAP 🙏

In my case, my workflow involves a great deal of web clipping, followed by immediate work with the clipped content within the Evernote client.  Even if auto-sync were quick with changes made in the client, it is not quick with syncing changes that don't originate in that client.  Web clips, or changes from another client on another device, don't trigger immediate auto-sync.  As a result, one of my typical workflows is completely broken in the EN-10 client.  I experienced a great deal of frustration, distress and loss of productivity until I learned I could install the legacy client.  I am now back to the legacy client most of the time and I would basically be out of business with Evernote if I couldn't use the legacy client, until a manual sync button is added to the new client.

i just wasted a lot of time looking for the missing Sync button and came to this thread. 

I liked a few other messages in the thread, and was just told I can't like any more messages today.  A pox on whoever thought it appropriate to throttle a paying customer (me) like that.

I need the sync button because I just emailed myself two different notes, and I have had to wait 9 minutes to get the second note, which i wasted with searching for the sync button. I am sure I could have had this second important note in my email within 30 seconds to a minute if I had been able to click the sync button.

OK, folks, instead of an impotent forum to post our hundreds of complaints, all of us Premium (i.e. paying users), need to hit Evernote in the pocket book for this.  What is the most expensive method, for Evernote, for us to request support about this issue?  I suggest we all waste our time to do that. Insist on speaking to supervisors. Maybe this can get Evernote's head out of the sand on this.

I kept asking for a work around to cause Sync sooner.   Chat support suggested installing the legacy Evernote. According to this, they can work side by side on the same machine..... trying this now...

Installing legacy evernote: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

Chat support suggested I solve the issue by logging in and out of evernote.  I am surprised they didnt ask me if I was running genuine Mac OSX.

I have installed the legacy app. it appears to have gotten busy syncing it's own collection of my notes.  It completed pretty quickly.

I have been editing things back and forth between the apps, and they do seem to stay in sync pretty well with each other.  But it is sure nice to use the legacy app and have the old fashioned Sync button. 

Edited by TheGarnet
updating experience with trying the legacy app

+1 for the return of the sync button. 

I've been an Evernote subscriber for almost a decade and am seriously considering moving to another tool because of: (i) the delays in syncing between devices; (ii) the delays in the appearance of notes emailed into my account;  and (iii) the plethora of duplicated copies of notes. None of this happened before. I would just force a sync and all was fine. It seems crazy that the suggested "solution" is to install an old version!

This thread is so comical it is sad. And vice versa.

Once they lose all their paid customers just because they removed some basic feature the developers think they don't need, who will be paying for those developers salary?

I was almost going to go for the paid subscription with Evernote, but yeah nah, not worth the troubles.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, v1ncen7 said:

I was almost going to go for the paid subscription

That's comical   
If Evernote had a $ for every user who was "almost" , ...

• Like 1

+1 for the return of the Sync Button.

I often email to my Evernote and ever so often the email doesn't seem to come through in a timely fashion. I would use the Sync Button to force the email into my Evernote. I thought maybe I simply didn't know where it was since the update, only to find this thread and learn that I'm not alone in missing it.

Not having a manual sync on the PC aapp has increased my replication note conflicts. I don't get it - there was a force sync button. There is an option of doing it on the iOS app. Why not have it on teh PC as well. If i have made an edit to the phone, now i sometimes have to just wait ages for it to sync up on teh PC before I can use up the note.

If this carries on for too long i may have to switch - as this is becoming a real issue!

As a paying user for years and years (and as beta-tester) I decided to stick to the Legacy version because of all the bugs and missing features in the new version.

The company doesn't seem to hear to their customers anymore. Have they perhaps been bought by a bigger company or a competitor that wants to drive EN out of business?? 🙄

I have been a paid user for years (of the Plus tariff), as many have been here. I don't require too much of Evernote, I organise by notebooks, and notes are only ever text accompanied with occasional photos, word docs and pdfs.

A good few months ago now, back in 2020, when the new Evernote was released, I spent a whole day moving it all to Apple Notes. As of that moment, Evernote is becoming out of date for me, and transitioning back would become a difficult task.

I moved for one reason only, within the first hour of using the new Evernote I could see that it was not syncing. The whole proposition of a notes platform is to have everything seamlessly synced, so all devices were up-to-date. I believe Evernote have their heads in the sand over just how key this is a massive amount of its user base.

With my actual point where I will actually cancel my subscription coming around the corner now, I have come back to the forums in the hope that I will be reading that the synchronisation are all fixed as I could with many hours spent, reverse back out of Apple Notes and return to Evernote, and I would be prepared to do it. However, it seems to me that Evernote have done nothing about the syncing issue? Is that correct? I assume they have not if people are still screaming for a manual sync button as a fix!

Since my subscription is annual, I have a diary reminder to hit "cancel my subscription" that I am ready to do if there is no fix.

(Primarily if people are wondering what I miss about Evernote is that the search in Evernote also searches for content within uploaded PDFs etc whereas Apple Notes doesn't - and of course Evernote is platform independent).

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN claims it is syncing immediately and permanently, not needing a sync button any longer.

When everything is synced, there is a message showing in the bottom right corner of the desktop client. Notes not yet synced are marked as such.

When you use Apple Notes, you are aware that they don’t have a manual sync option either. When you use the iCloud storage, it syncs right away - the same claims EN for the new client.

If you don’t trust it, you can install the legacy client with the precious manual sync button.

• Like 1

Just throwing in my voice to this discussion to say, I also would really like if the manual sync button was returned. I often write notes on my the Android app of Evernote, then when I sit down to my desktop and open the desktop app (also Windows version), the note does not appear. I've tried waiting a while to see if it would eventually sync up, but it won't show up no matter how many minutes or even hours pass, until I close the desktop app fully and stop the process using task manager. If I don't fully close Evernote, it simply does not sync. Can we please get the manual sync button back? It's pretty clear the "auto sync" just isn't cutting it.

I'm going to add my voice.  PLEASE bring back the manual sync.  Why is it a feature that has been missing & reported since Oct 2020 has STIL not been provided? Auto-sync does NOT work all the time.  I want to open EN on another device and be able to continue doing work.  I can't if the note isn't synced.  I'm not going to wait and have a coffee.  If auto-sync does NOT work, provide a manual sync button until it does!

Edited by Larry_C
spelling & grammar
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

Beside the question about the sync button (have already voted in favor):

You could use the web client to check whether it is the up-sync or the down-sync that causes the problem. When the new content appears on the web client, the upsync has executed. Mobile devices may be slower in getting content, because on many devices the background activities (like syncing) execute in larger cycles, to save energy.

The iOS client has the option to force a sync from the settings menu, or by simply dragging down the notes list a little. The manual sync is really a question of the desktop clients, because the mobiles already have this option.

• Like 1

So I wasn't paying attention and I have 16 notes that did not sync to the web or my Mac from my iPad.  Given the instructions to save the notes and delete the app I tried to email the notes to myself to save them.  The emails were never received.

Just a major pain.  We really need a "force sync" when something goes wrong to fix sync problems.

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, dmoor said:

So I wasn't paying attention and I have 16 notes that did not sync to the web or my Mac from my iPad.  Given the instructions to save the notes and delete the app I tried to email the notes to myself to save them.  The emails were never received.

Just a major pain.  We really need a "force sync" when something goes wrong to fix sync problems.

The post immediately before yours poits to the way to force a sync on an iPad or iPhone:

On 5/27/2021 at 8:10 AM, PinkElephant said:

The iOS client has the option to force a sync from the settings menu, or by simply dragging down the notes list a little. The manual sync is really a question of the desktop clients, because the mobiles already have this option.

HTH

• Level 5

About the e-mails: EN seems to treat mails for spam, or whatever. To make them go through you need to contact support, to get your mail address whitelisted.

About sync: It is not absolutely clear to me whether you mean sync (bring an existing note to the server), or importing from a sharing into the app.

The forced sync can help with the former, not with the later.

What I find more difficult to understand than the absence of a "Sync" button on the desktop version is the silence from the Evernote team!  What a way to run a company and to lose customers!

Yes. Please restore the manual sync button. The automatic system is barely functional. It either takes ages to sync or doesn't seem to bother syncing at all. 

I'm getting really fed up with Evernote. What used to be a good system is becoming more and more irritating to use. I use Evernote on my laptop, my desktop and my phone and currently have three different versions of various notes. Not at all happy.

I agree! I'm sitting here wasting time because Evernote refuses to sync for some reason. Evernote 10 is really terrible; I can't get used to it. I'm a paying customer since 2009 and I'm seriously considering migrating to something else.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

What do you mean by „refuses to sync“ ?

Did the upsync client => server fail, or was the downsync server => client the problem v

I'm not sure if I'm really "in-sync" with your technical language, but OK. My Android phone seemed to sync just fine, but it took at least half an hour for the document to arrive on my Windows PC. A document that I scanned with my phone and that I had to send to my client ASAP, so you understand my predicament. Working with Evernote used to be smooth in terms of workflow, now I'm feeling like it's more of a hindrance.

• Level 5

@Bartm The language means this:

The master copy is the one on the EN server.

Any new document, any changes to existing ones happen on a client (putting aside the web client) and need to up-Sync to the server.

From the server all other clients get the new / changed note. This is the down-sync.

EN never syncs client to client - when you edit a note on your Android device, it does not get directly to the Windows client. It is always a 2-step process. Client-server, then server-client.

What you describe is my experience as well: Sometimes it takes very long for a new or changed note to reach another client.

You can take one step when this happens: Open the server copy by using the web client, and check if the new/changed note is already there.

If the server was not updated, the up-sync is lagging.

If the server is updated, but the other clients are not, the down-sync stalls.

My experience is that the down-sync is the problem. For whatever reason the change is not pushed from the server to the other clients.

Maybe you can check next time something like this happens. Then please create a ticket with support, if possible with activity log, and send me a direct message with the ticket number. I will forward it to EN staff.

From my experience it is a phenomenon that does not happen with a big frequency.

From my experience it is a problem that happens with extreme frequency. Always has too. Thus the use of the sync button for force upload to the server on the editing client and then again on the other clients to force the download from the server. 

The sync issues between iOS, Windows and MacOS is sending me over the edge.  Maybe the Evernote folks are gearing up for a premium/power-user plan which gives you a sync button?  I'm a long-time premium user and this is absurd.

• Level 5

Where exactly is your problem ?

The iOS client has a manual sync option, so I assume nothing to request here (but you mention it).

A sync option for the desktop clients is requested, but not acknowledged by EN.

You can use the feedback option in the clients to send your request directly to EN product management.

• Level 5

Although I am in favor of a manual sync option as well, it usually works pretty good.

Just look at the bottom right of your EN window: It shows the sync status there in pale grey letters. Usually it will tell that all changes have been synced. When syncing this message briefly changes and resets to the „all changes synced“ rapidly. You can try it and see how fast v10 in fact does the background syncing after changes.

About the releases: I completely disagree. Each v10 release has added stability and features, with an amazingly high quality. There were few bugs in new releases, and usually EN fixed them pretty fast.

52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Although I am in favor of a manual sync option as well, it usually works pretty good.

Just look at the bottom right of your EN window: It shows the sync status there in pale grey letters. Usually it will tell that all changes have been synced. When syncing this message briefly changes and resets to the „all changes synced“ rapidly. You can try it and see how fast v10 in fact does the background syncing after changes.

It says all changed saved and does not relate to syncing. Try it out, wait for "all saved", kill Evernote immediately and look at web. Changes will not be visible as not yet synced. I think they mean saved to cache. Evernote is still away from real time push sync although being a cloud focused service now. I really assume their new infrastructure would be capable of doing push sync too as OneNote and Google Keep but they still have not activated it yet maybe for performance reasons. Activating working push sync (in all directions) would than really be an argument for not needing a sync button anymore.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Alxa said:

Try it out, wait for "all saved", kill Evernote immediately and look at web.

My experience is that the web interface can be slower to sync than the various apps.  I just tried your suggestion and, indeed, the web browser hadn't updated but my Android device app was up to speed immediately.  So I conclude that the central server IS updated more or less immediately but the various applications don't get access as speedily as they could/should.

Since I almost never refer to the browser interface I am finding sync is immediate or as good as.

All based on my experience. YMMV.

• Level 5

The web client has by design no autonomous syncing trigger. The sync cycle depends on the browser.

What we see in the web client is what was loaded when we open it. It is a temporary local copy, cached by the browser. Changes of the server data will not show immediately in this cache.

When working in the web client, changes there from my experience sync fast. The change is done on the data, effecting a sync.

What may take a while is for changes by other clients to show in the web client. If I really want to check the actual state on the server, I need to reload the page by the browser. This is usually done by an icon in the URL area.

It will then show the loading process, green circle and all. This refreshes the whole page and creates a new cache.

I've waited almost a year for EN to work the bugs out before installing v10 or higher.  Today I put it on a new PC I've just built and the first thing I spotted, other than a huge storage size difference which I'm still investigating,  is that the Sync Button is missing off the top of the screen.

I drop PDF's into notes everyday and often just before I run out the door so I have to know they are available on three different devices. Manual Sync is critical to me.  I'm just not comfortable without that Sync button.

I guess I will be waiting a bit longer.

Premium user since 2013.

11 minutes ago, Carl-L-ND said:

I've waited almost a year for EN to work the bugs out before installing v10 or higher.  Today I put it on a new PC I've just built and the first thing I spotted, other than a huge storage size difference which I'm still investigating,  is that the Sync Button is missing off the top of the screen.

I drop PDF's into notes everyday and often just before I run out the door so I have to know they are available on three different devices. Manual Sync is critical to me.  I'm just not comfortable without that Sync button.

I guess I will be waiting a bit longer.

Premium user since 2013.

Some updates ago Evernote for windows at least got a sync check when closing the app via menu (exiting not minimizing). If there is something still not synced you get a notification saying something like "wait for sync completion" and after syncing is done EN closes. So if you need 100% sync when leaving desktop force exiting via menu could give you peace of mind.

But I can underline: at least a sync indicator as on mobile and legacy (with the green icon at notes yet to be synced) cannot be too much being asked by us paying customers.

• Level 5

Sync indicator: There is a grey text at the bottom right of the EN window. Usually it says „All changes have been saved“, while server activities are running this briefly changes. Not as visual as on mobile, but it tells the upsync status.

My problem is more about the downsync: I sometimes want to continue working on a note that I started on another device - but it does not appear for several minutes although I synced it up to the server before.

This breaks workflows. I would really prefer to be able to click on a button and have it check for changes right away.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sync indicator: There is a grey text at the bottom right of the EN window. Usually it says „All changes have been saved“, while server activities are running this briefly changes. Not as visual as on mobile, but it tells the upsync status.

This is not true. As I described here it says saved not synced. They probally mean saved to cache so this is misleading. If you immediately force close the app (kill) after "all changes saved" you will notice that these last changes never appear on server (web) until you restart the desktop client for allowing sync completion. You can try it. There is always an upload lag from desktop. Even if only some seconds or a minute it can be problematic when you leave desktop and immediately switch windows to stand by or hibernate after last edits as @Carl-L-NDdescribed. You could than miss the last edits on mobile later on. To circumvent this you can exit (quit) EN desktop manually via EN menu. It than closes only after sync completion as described in my former posting. (I can only report for windows client)

Therefore it would be nice if their all saved indicator could be replaced by a real all changes synced indicator.

• Like 1

Up to now, for 8 years, I leave my office with EN active on a laptop and a desktop and then use my phone when I arrive at my destination.

I've never ever manually exited EN on my desktop or laptop unless it was to perform some kind of critical and exhaustive software update on my system.  I boot them up in the morning and EN is automatically logged into.  I sleep or shut them down when I go to bed 16 hours later.

So now I have to manually stop  EN to ensure a sync goes thru and then manually log into EN when I return.  That is not convenient.  I might do this 2 or 3 times a day.  With my convoluted passwords I use a password manager but not one that auto-fills and so with my peck typing method it can take more than a minute or tow to successfully get back into.  Pffft! 

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you don’t use a client, there is nothing to upsync, since nothing changes. Downsync happens as long as the client is running.

Do you have duplication or conflict notes ?

If not, there is no need to shut anything down in first place.

Good point there - use a browser to access EN on both my desktop and laptop.

I've never used a browser.  I've always known the browser was there to use but I did not like the interface when I first started using EN and have never used it since.  I'll have to check it out.

Still, put a sync button in the desktop clients. It is a small thing for peace of mind.

With the phone client its' always been a quick swipe to ensure a sync has started and usually there is confirmation it has been synced by means of an error message "Note Upload Failed" for that one rogue note that is always there to torment you.

• Level 5

The web client is close to feature parity to the desktop now. A few functions are missing, but the gap is pretty small.

On the phone the down swipe works, but won’t give a positive confirmation. When using the sync option in settings, it confirms sync has executed.

Why the sync button is still missing in desktop, no idea myself. Even if it would not be technically necessary, the possibility for a confirmation alone would justify its return.

I was being quite facetious with my comment

"there is confirmation it has been synced by means of an error message "Note Upload Failed" for that one rogue note that is always there to torment you."

Unfortunately I've come to equate this still unfixed issue and the error message it produces with Sync from Phone being successful.  I do go to the Sync option in Settings on occasion.

I have not updated my phone app since the "new" EN was released.  I take it the Sync button is still in Settings?

Facing so much sync issues.

• I left my Evernote Desktop open - went for 1 hr dinner
  • During dinner I updated a note on Evernote iOS
  • Half an hour I returned to Evernote Desktop, opened the note, and realised it wasn't updated
  • I closed the note, reopened it. Still not updated.
  • I went to Evernote iOS, forced a Sync
  • Went to Evernote Desktop, reopened the note. Nope not updated.
  • I closed the note, clicked into other notes, returned to Home Screen, reopened the note. Finally, it is updated!

WTF was that all about.

Do I have to second-guess all my notes by looking at the Modification Timestamp, to figure out if sync has been performed?

====

I've even encountered cases where I updated a note on Evernote Desktop at home, and arrived in office the next morning to continue typing on another Evernote Desktop. And received a Note Conflict notification during lunchtime.

If it takes more than 8 hours to sync, and more than 12 hours to detect a Note Conflict, then I don't know what to say.

====

Thankfully I managed to get my Evernote subscription refunded. It's not gonna be my main note-taking app until I see a manual Sync button on Desktop/Webapp.

The iOS Sync button is good but it's way too inaccessible. It has to be displayed front and center.

The golden benchmark is Google Keep. It's so good that it doesn't even need a Sync Button - instantaneous real-time updates almost like Google Docs multi-user collaboration. If I opened two Keep screens on different PCs, I can literally see myself typing in one screen on another screen.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you go to the Help menu, Problem solving (Trouble shooting, whatever it is called), you find 2 options:

Unfortunately, those options are not in the Windows app's Help menu.   And searching for "Reload" in their Help site doesn't give me anything useful either.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Try to press strg/ctrl, shft or alt/opt and hold it down before clicking on Help. On the Mac it is alt/opt.

3583051_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-15um21_09_30.png.cc252b94a8d0c5baaa9c8341fc978118.png

Not  sure what Alt key would be since a Mac doesn't have one (control/option/command).  No combination seemed  to work.