Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

bigphilwalks
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

PLEASE bring back the sync button - spinning cicle - "I know, I know...you magically eliminated the need for it."  Perhaps my request isn't the most accurate solution, but I will tell you this...I am having consistent and repeated sync issues...just lost changes to a note from this morning...again!  Yes, all systems are up to date, system restarted etc...i did all that...I even check note history and it's WRONG...says the last time I updated the note was weeks ago....I use this note regularly throughout the week including again this morning only to find all entries from the past couple of weeks have dissappeared.  Why am I paying a premium for this!

• Like 3

the launch of version 10 has been a big problem and a huge step back.   I've been premium user for years and have my whole life on Evernote.  It's shaken my confidence, my daily workflow is disrupted, I'm spending an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting issues, finding duplicate notes, rebooting, etc to get Evernote to work.   Found a new problem today in that not all machines will run the same version.  When checking for updates, one machine loads 10.4.4 the other running 10.3.7 gives me a message that it's the current version.   Still having problems with blank notes coming up.   The thought of changing tools is frightening, however, I can't continue to spend this much time making a 'productivity' tool productive...   How long before this platform is stable again?

• Like 6

Feels silly commenting here. When so many have already raised the point. Manual sync button is a mandatory function for me.
I use google drive a lot their auto sync actually works but to have terrible auto sync and to remove manual sync makes no sense.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, panhead48 said:

Then why bother posting.

A strange comment for a user post requesting information   
Also, this post has become a feature request where users can indicate support (vote button at the top left corner of the discussion)    
This is useful towards convincing Evernote to implement this feature

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, panhead48 said:

He had nothing to say except make fun of people who were inquiring and you know this

I know that @bigphilwalks has only one post, requesting information about the sync button

"automatic" syncing does not always work!

You guys made me waste 15 minutes I didn't have trying to find the manual sync option since a new note did not show up on my iPad

I would've NEVER installed the new version had I known it would be a step backwards

I have just wasted more than ten minutes waiting to see whether a very important note sent by email gets added to the right notebook and still nothing! Eliminating the sync button was a major mistake and not reacting promptly to the request to bring it back is another one. If I lose trust in Evernote I move to a different product!

• Like 1

I too have the same problem.  Blank notes showing up.   Messed up formatting from "web-clipped" notes.   I was updated a couple-3 weeks back when my Mac said there was an Update.   Now I wished I hadn't updated.    I have been a premium user for a long time (since 2009 I think).   And like others I have my "whole life" in Evernote.   The presence of that 'sync' button is such a comfort that I need to know that I have control over Evernote data!  

What does it take to get it back?

--jan

• Like 1

I've found the only way to (semi) reliably sync any notes edited/created from the execrable new Windows 10 mess is to reboot my PC... And even this doesn't work every time.

I have downgraded to the legacy version that I can actually sync notes from and that doesn't seem to have been prototyped and signed-off by inebriated chimps. I will remain there until Evernote re-integrates manual sync, fixes the auto-sync so that it ACTUALLY auto-syncs occasionally, or I get so fed up with Evernote's apparent self-destructive madness that I just suck up my distrust of all things Microsoft and migrate to OneNote...

• Like 2

Syncing between devices still is a terrible problem.   I'm not sure what the issue was with the old sync but I never had the number of duplicate notes.   I get popups identifying "more than  on version" all the time but they don't show in the list view so it's often impossible to clean them up.  Never had this problem before....  I read in the blog that evernote has identified these issues, but don't know what the timing is to resolve them.  

• Like 1

Version 10 is a joke. Nothing what I used to use is working: 

- No Sync button (and it is not syncing).

- No Export of all notes (i.e., no backup).

- Filtering by tags - not working realtime (I remove tag, the note is still in the list)

I am starting to search for another note taking product (again). It looks like any change in Evernote is for worse.

For now, I recommend to anybody who cares about his data to go back to version 6:  https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe

• Like 1

Is anyone from Evernote going to address the angry masses, or is it more likely they ignore us until we give up and take our money elsewhere?

Historically speaking, do they respond to customer feedback?

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am a relatively new user (Jan 2020) and I switched to Evernote to have better integration between my phone notes and desktop ones.

As many in the thread have already noted, my Evernote desktop is completely disconnected from my phone without manual sync button. 

I don't really want to, but I will for sure be switching to a different service if this isn't fixed.

• Like 1

Yes it syncs automatically maybe everyword but there are still real world cases where the button is essential.
1. Internet problems so you can manually sync get a ok message before you close the damn thing.
2. when installing the PC version I type something and I just hit install and relaunch. Then I go away forget all about it. Then come back and see the note I typed is gone or there is new note window but no title in there. Now this is where it makes EN redundant. You just cannot remember it.
3. Same thing happens when I am sleepy. Right now Its 1:24 AM I got up from my sleep to make a note. So I had the above popup. So after typing the entire note I thought of hitting the sync button before I install and relaunch and now its 1:24. So even if there is no reinstall. I am too sleepy or too much in a hurry. So I just type in a few words and got off. If it doesnt sync and my PC restarts or something then I lose it.
yes some of us still live in third world and developing countries. Where power fails the net is not reliable. This is where the sync button comes handy
I know it syncs everything but still having the button puts me at rest.
I always tend to forget notes so I just type in a few words then come back when I am free or awake to finish the entire thing.
If they don't bring it back I am cancelling my plan and moving to something else.

This request has been made by other users and the thread is marked as resolved, but this issue is not resolved. This morning I installed the latest version of EN on my macbook only to discover that the manual synch and manual save features are no longer available. I immediately researched and discovered that I was not the only user missing these features, but the "resolution" was listed as being that the new version of EN automatically saves and synchs. I have had problems with auto synch working in a timely manner so I ALWAYS save and synch before I leave one workstation. I decided to test out the auto synch feature on the new version, thinking maybe it was improved, but alas, my concerns were validated. Auto synch does not keep up with my natural pace moving between two devices. Here is how I tested: I edited a note by typing in "this is a test" on the mac/desktop version of EN, then WAITED until I saw "saved" in the bottom right corner,  (NOTE: I could have manually saved faster), then I picked up my phone and clicked on the EN icon, only to see that the note where I typed in "this is a test" only had "this is" included ... incomplete synchs are not helpful or reassuring. This is a biggest enough concern to me that I immediately closed out the "new and improved" (latest version) of EN and re-installed the legacy version. PLEASE EN team, restore the manual synch button AND the manual SAVE feature (that used to be available via file/save.) I am a paying subscriber and this latest update is enough to make me want to make the time to research a different note software.

This version of evernote is just frustrating, what happened to this amazing service, 11 or 12 years with the service and now, I can get some work done only with difficulty. Notes are not syncing, the platform is slow, notes do not get saved, can't e-mail them. I bet it will take a year for everything to get back to the level we need for our productivity.

I hope evernote is reading these threads because:

i'm struggling to understand something....

I can't find a single thing that has been improved by this update!

But there are at least 10 useful features that have been removed, and doing anything is noticeably SLOWER. 

Removing features is not necessary (unless you want to alienate long time users)

DATES on the notes is sometimes critical when I can't remember a search term that doesn't result in way too many results. Therefore, evernote developers, please return the ability to manually  change the created date. 

Also please return the ability to view the entire note without automatically changing the "modified date" doing that moves an old note to the top of the thumbnail list.

and it should not take multiple clicks to view a note! We don't need the URL every time, and we should be able to see the entire note in the viewing  window

Would like to second your frustration. I used Evernote sporadically for years but the demands of a spring project made me a paying customer. I'm starting to regret that. I work from home and live in a semi-rural area where internet service options are limited. The best I can get is a satellite-based service so there can be a delays, particularly during peak times. That's why I've always done my syncing manually, usually during off-peak times so I don't incur extra charges. But, with every note syncing individually, any benefit of Evernote is being consumed in time delays as I have to wait every time I finish a note. And then I have to check the sync and sometimes go back and resave. Much more efficient to add 5 notes and sync them all at once.  I guess I 'll have to figure out how to re-install the legacy version. Thanks for that tip!

Been a huge Evernote fan for years. I'm not surprised to find this thread, after being frustrated with the many many "sync conflicts" as I'm using Evernote between my laptop and iPhone. Before, I always made sure it is the latest copy before I edited anywhere (by syncing first), now I almost never get the latest copy and hence create a ton of conflicted notes.

Removing the button is a great idea to simplify the UI/UX, but the psychology behind it is definitely proven to be more than "an extra step the user has to take". It is a button to put control in our hands, and to have confidence in cross-device syncing. Or solve the syncing issue so that we can use Evernote smoothly without the button - this could be a way to move forward instead of backward. I hope the Evernote team can see this.

Yes, I too am a huge fan of Evernote so my workaround was to give up on the problematic app and use the web version which is great for sync. So, I send content to Evernote, then check on iPhone to confirm. That’s it - go the web version and it will be there also. For me, the web version is great experience. 

The lack of a hard sync has cost me already, in two different ways. The first, I cut pasted and didn't do a good job. The back. button did not work to allow me to get content, and so I lost content. The second was the search function returned the header of a note, that I could not access, nor see the notebook it belonged to. I went to where I thought it would be, and it wasn't there. I searched for a key word specific to that note and only the header was returned.  It was shared by my partner and she had it on hers fully...so I went into the notebook where the note was and found it, where it was missing a moment before.

I have to assume you are doing this to support web enablement...and probably aren't addressing this thread due to the fact that you know it will be an issue or you are getting bought out and don't want to stir the pot knowing that data loss as an issue with worth losing millions in a deal.

Been with you guys through all kinds of iterations but today I actually need to go over to google docs because you guys now are now messing with my sense of security about what I keep.

• Level 5*
On 1/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, mabell said:

The lack of a hard sync has cost me already, in two different ways. The first, I cut pasted and didn't do a good job. The back. button did not work to allow me to get content, and so I lost content. The second was the search function returned the header of a note, that I could not access, nor see the notebook it belonged to. I went to where I thought it would be, and it wasn't there. I searched for a key word specific to that note and only the header was returned.  It was shared by my partner and she had it on hers fully...so I went into the notebook where the note was and found it, where it was missing a moment before.

I have to assume you are doing this to support web enablement...and probably aren't addressing this thread due to the fact that you know it will be an issue or you are getting bought out and don't want to stir the pot knowing that data loss as an issue with worth losing millions in a deal.

Been with you guys through all kinds of iterations but today I actually need to go over to google docs because you guys now are now messing with my sense of security about what I keep.

Data loss and sync conflicts here. It's not rocket science, I think, because it has already been discussed ad nauseam. The thing is that Evernote has already developed some really detailed sync features in the past. It's all been done before, and they could have been building on their past successes little by little over the last decade + to develop an amazing app, but instead we have to go through this cycle of scrapping it all and restarting from scratch again (this "complete redesign" has been done before as well---2010, 2012, 2014, etc.). Yes, I know someone on the developer team would likely say that this time is "different." But, is it? At one point, the code was entirely rewritten from C#/WPF to C++. Recognize any of the reasoning? "...As a result, we ended up chasing down platform bugs rather than adding the great features our users wanted. So we decided to start over from scratch, with fast, native C++ that we knew we could rely on. As you’ll see, the results are amazing. This new version will set a foundation for rapid improvement." Sounds the same to me... too many bugs, too many problems, this is all to add great features, and now we can have more rapid improvement!

Actually, I'm fine if they want to rebuild the app, and I'm fine if they want to re-shuffle the UI, etc. It's not as if the previous version of the app was perfect or anything close to it. I can adapt to just about anything, except an app that doesn't work as well, loses data, or is missing features that are never to return. That's not an app I find especially useful.

In the end, whatever you call this "upgrade," great features and design elements that benefitted from years of developer thought and user feedback have been scrapped because someone decided it wasn't necessary. I feel pretty confident in saying that no actual users contacted Evernote and asked them to get rid of the sync button! 

• Like 2

I agree as well.  The new Evernote is horrible without the sync button!!!  Please add it back.  I regularly capture email and web pages with the evernote clipper and now I have no way to refresh so I can annotate immediately after the capture!  I now have to exit Evernote and re-open in order for my new note from a capture to show up.  HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!  I also have been a subscriber almost since inception of the application.

I'd like to voice my support for this request, as well. Losing the manual sync button on the desktop app (in my case, Mac) was a terrible idea. For example, I use the ScanSnap cloud service to push scanned documents into Evernote. I scan 5-10 documents daily and each usually takes maybe 30-60 seconds to show up in Evernote on my iOS devices that can still manually sync. The "automatic" sync in the desktop app sometimes works within a few minutes and sometimes takes significantly longer. For example, I scanned a document over an hour ago that is visible on iOS and via the web client but not on either of my desktop apps (laptop and desktop devices). 

I'm not opposed to automatic sync, especially when it is reliable (Evernote's obviously isn't), but the user should always have controls that allow for manual syncing across devices. I'm very puzzled by this design choice by the Evernote dev team.

I agree, manual sync is VERY helpful. I have a weeks-long open support ticket con duplicate notes across devices including web browser access and basically, autosync is part of the problem - still doesn't work reliably, especially for frequently edited and longer notes.

Bring back a button across platforms (or a gesture, or a shortcut, or all) - some way to manually refresh in ALL platforms including web browser. And as importantly, fix the underlying corporate policies where Evernote programmers decide to *remove* features and basically do NOT do it. It is one thing to add a new feature or move things around, but *removing* a feature really creates havoc. If you decide a feature isn't that widely used, move it to a menu or somewhere else, and, the annoyance factor is way down. And moving forward, delay rolling out any new code base until it can support 100% of existing features with stability.

I just saw, that even EN 10 for Android still shows this little green flags on notes, that are not yet synced from device to the cloud. This is what we knew from Evernote Legacy as well. Bringing this back to the desktop would give me much peace of mind of having my work with me after leaving the desk as I could easily see, what is synced or not. 

OMG! Now in a loop of being locked out of Evernote online. Logged in on iPhone using same credentials, but EN says no such account for same email. So try to get some help and says you need to login and then won’t let you login. There is an upgrade button for support :(

Anyone else have similar problem in EN online in Win10 and a fix?

Or maybe Evernote support could help me?

hmm...

Even on EN10.8.4 auto-sync not reliable. Example: From time to time clipped content does not show up on the EN-windows-client until I restart the client completely. That is bad and the opposite of what is claimed by Evernote for the best-of-all-times EN10-client. I would appreciate either programming a reliable sync service (app / server knowing, that it has not synced for xxxx time and doing it really automatically) or please re-add the sync button for us users. Thank you!

After some weeks of not using a specific maschine, I updated EN to 10.8.4 and tried to use it...
In parallel I opened Legacy. Both instances had to sync their data...

Legacy succeeded after app. 5 minutes - EN-10 seems to do nothing since > 60 minutes.
Klicking on a tag that should lead to 12 notes: Legacy answers immediately and shows all 12 notes.
EN-10 answer immediately and shows only 2 notes (in spite of telling me "(12)" right beside the tag name). After some time, it shows 3 notes - whow - sync is running! (*)

BUT there is no other indicator like the rolling arrows in Legacyimage.png.b10154f2718aee83f6ea9fd8ae715629.png
AND the sync takes an eternity (are there other servers active for EN-10-clients?)

==> We really need an the sync-indicator (to understand what's going on) and a button to manually trigger a sync if we are in doubt of the sync state...

(*) updates
Do, 11.02.21 18:50:  it shows 4 notes now!
Do, 11.02.21 22:12: all 12 notes are here 👍(but I had to exit/restart EN-10)

• Like 1

I vote strongly for returning this ability to sync as well. I am getting far more duplicated notes now with conflicts. (a better conflict resolver would be nice too).

This is esp. true if you use the Windows app and the IOS app a lot.  The Windows app might sync better (although certainly not perfect between two Windows devices), but the IOS app does not seem to sync the same way.

I like almost all the changes in the recent release.  This change (removing manual sync) I do not. I spend more time cleaning up conflicted notes and reduces my efficiency. The opposite of what you want with EN.

Add me to the list of those who are not happy with the sync button and status time/date removed.  Long time paying customer, 10+ years, and will consider switching based on this. Use Onenote for other business functions and problem just migrate.   On various platforms where I have Evernote files, occasionally an issue with wifi, cell coverage, etc...  And files may or may not be synced.  Only way to be 100% sure is to "click" the sync button and see the time/date of last sync.   Can not understand why on earth this would be removed.  Ridiculous.  Oh and the "all changes saved" is useless if you are screen clipping out of the app.  Go back to the app and you have no way of knowing if "all changes saved" includes your new screen clippings since its the message will be there from last edits before the screen clipping?   

Please put the manual sync button back! Sometimes, there is a delay in content syncing between devices and the synch may be needed immediately due to needing to log off the computer for whatever reason.

Thank you for all that you do to keep Evernote functional with such nice enhancements and that you listen to your customers needs and requests!