Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Other

Reminders

evernote web mac ios

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

No one is more aware than we are that discussions around Evernote and some sort of native to do/alerts system go back years.  For much of that time, we spent working out exactly how something could be implemented and satisfy the broader needs of users.  And for iOS, Mac, and Evernote Web, Reminders are here.

From our blog:

Reminders are incredibly easy to use. You can add a Reminder to a note by simply tapping on the alarm clock icon located at the top of the note on Mac and Web, and at the bottom of the note on iPhone and iPad. If you like, set a date and time for when this note must be completed.

You’ll get an in-app alarm and, optionally, an email the day that a Reminder is due. Once set, you’ll see the note title appear in the new Reminder section at the top of the note list. You can change the order of Reminders simply by dragging them around. When you complete your task, tap on the check or, on iOS, swipe to remove the Reminder from the list.

Reminders are also available through shared notebooks, including public notebooks. If you're managing a team or resources with a group of people through a shared notebook, these become even more powerful, as you're essentially able to create a series of notifications for users who have opted into a shared notebook.

This is, of course, only the first iteration of Reminders, and we have support for other clients well underway, as well as plans for growing their functionality in the future.

Leave your thoughts below, on our blog, or send us some feedback through support.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

We've also updated our support documentation:

Ten new articles in the KB: http://evernote.com/...query=reminders

A new page to the Getting Started with Evernote guide: http://evernote.com/...ted/index.php#7

And updates to our Product Guides:

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#3 thorrrr

thorrrr

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • Group: Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hi gbarry

Maybe worth telling people on Mac's  not to update until you get it to install without trashing your EN install.

How has this got out of Beta seriously ??

#4 BasieBand

BasieBand

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi gbarry

Maybe worth telling people on Mac's  not to update until you get it to install without trashing your EN install.

How has this got out of Beta seriously ??

Please describe the problem in greater detail.

#5 thorrrr

thorrrr

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Hi gbarry

I don’t just jump on here without reporting it correctly all logs and file with my ticket 

Ticket# 41929 - Crashing (ticket #41929)

Cheers

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi gbarry

I don’t just jump on here without reporting it correctly all logs and file with my ticket 

Ticket# 41929 - Crashing (ticket #41929)

Cheers

It probably wouldn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall.
http://discussion.ev...-x/#entry173494

#7 thorrrr

thorrrr

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

HI GM

Please see post http://discussion.ev...l-not-open-now/ item 11

:)

#8 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

HI GM

Please see post http://discussion.ev...l-not-open-now/ item 11

:)

Hi. I saw, but I thought you might not have taken the extra step of wiping everything Evernote off your drive with an app zapper. Of course, you shouldn't have to do this, but if you do run into a wall, it is a logical next step. If you have done this, then it certainly sounds odd, and hopefully support can get a fix out to everyone.

#9 thorrrr

thorrrr

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yep i have tried that  3 times to be honest 

#10 jdriggs

jdriggs

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Well, on a more positive note.  I LOVE THE NEW REMINDERS!!!  Awesome.  Just elevated Evernote to the next level.

I use Evernote and Penultimate to capture all of my meeting notes (and I go to lots of meetings).  I now have the ability to simply note a commitment from someone in my notes and then get a reminder when the commitment is due.

My hat is off to you.  I couldn't be happier.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yep i have tried that  3 times to be honest 

That's too bad. I'd definitely recommend downgrading. The app should be in your trash.

#12 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Please describe the problem in greater detail.

For anyone swinging by this particular thread who's running into a crash issue with the latest for Evernote Mac, the relevant information is here: http://discussion.ev...l-not-open-now/

Some users are seeing a crash with the new update.  Please submit a support ticket if you run into it, as we're actively testing hotfixes for the issue.

#13 thegriff

thegriff

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

It doesn't appear that clearing a reminder alters a note in any other way than removing the clock icon highlight.  Is there any way to know that the note once had a reminder?  Ultimately I would want to have it check off the box within the note, add a tag, something so that when I review that notebook I can see what had been done previously.

#14 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Probably depends on the client at this moment in time.  On my Mac a "completed" Reminder still contains the notification date/time. 

13%203:21%20PM.png

#15 thegriff

thegriff

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Probably depends on the client at this moment in time.  On my Mac a "completed" Reminder still contains the notification date/time. 

https://www.evernote.../13 3:21 PM.png

But nothing for non-dated reminders?  I actually date very few of my task items.

#16 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

But nothing for non-dated reminders?  I actually date very few of my task items.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  A completed, non-dated Reminder looks exactly the same as a note without a Reminder (will flag for the team).

#17 dtwhite

dtwhite

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

First impressions with Reminders are very good. Very slick on iOS.

I wonder is there any funky way to integrate this with Siri? For me, since it came along, telling Siri to "remind me to..." creates a nice reminder in iOS Reminders app really quickly. It's made the iOS Reminders app a killer app for me, and replaced other To Do apps.

If Siri were to somehow be able to link in with the new EN reminders functionality, so I could dictate a reminder, that would be brilliant. Up to now, I have just been able to email to EN from Siri to create a regular text note.

#18 chrisbulle

chrisbulle

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

well done, you good People of Evernote, well done indeed. 

#19 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,756 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Ah, I see what you're saying.  A completed, non-dated Reminder looks exactly the same as a note without a Reminder (will flag for the team).

All of this really implies a need for expanding the search grammar, in a way that echoes, say, todo checkboxes (e.g. todo:, todo:true, todo:false). Since I don't know the full semantics of reminders yet, I can't offer a full set, but the following spring easily to mind: :

reminder: --> return all notes with reminders

reminder:complete --> return all notes with completed reminders

-reminder:complete --> return all notes with uncompleted reminders

reminder:dated --> return all notes with dated reminders

-reminder:dated --> return all notes with undated reminders

reminder:<datetime> --> return all notes with reminders with a date/time value that is greater than or equal to the <datetime>argument (a la created:, updated: search terms)

-reminder:<datetime> --> return all notes with reminders with a date/time value that is less than to the <datetime>argument

I tug on the search grammar string occasionally (most recently when Business notebooks were introduced; at that point (and I think it's still true), you were able to create filters on your note database (or "corpus" -- read it in the blog :)) using the UI that you can't recreate in a saved search. This is inconsistent with previous incarnations of The Way Things Work as I understood it, so it bugs me.

Hopefully something like this is in the works for reminders.

~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#20 Radar68

Radar68

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

well done, you good People of Evernote, well done indeed. 

I'll second that but is it just me or do the alarms not make any sound on iOS?

I set an alarm but I hear nothing and only when I switch the iPhone on does the 'alarm' show up either in the lock screen or in the app.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: other, evernote, web, mac, ios

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Clip to Evernote