Uninstalling Everrnote for Mac OS X

Notes when trying to fix a problem with PDFs not displaying.

To uninstall Evernote for Mac OS X (Snow Leopard).

1) Close any web browsers with Evernote plugins:

* Close Safari

* Close Firefox

2) Ensure that the Evernote Helper is not running

(It is not sufficient to reboot the system if the Evernote helper is set to restart on login)

In a terminal session

ps alwwx | grep -i evernote

Kill the process "EvernoteHelper"

3) Remove the following files

(This may require root privileges - as 'sudo')

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Evernote.app

rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote

rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist

rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.EvernoteThumbnailer.plist

rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.SafariClipperPlugin.plist

4) Download and reinstall Evernote using the standard process

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me? I have no idea what this is telling me. My evernote app won't launch on my macbook pro after installing the latest update. It gives me the "unexpectedly quit" dialog box and won't launch when I click on the "relaunch" button. I need to understand how an every day person can uninstall. I have never used terminal and do not understand the instructions you have posted in any way. I am a premium user and would like the app to work. Thanks

Here is the error summary the dialog box wants me to send to Apple:

Process: Evernote [206]

Path: /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote

Identifier: com.evernote.Evernote

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [68]

Interval Since Last Report: 9510871 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 55

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 10

Date/Time: 2011-03-05 04:07:09.625 -0500

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)

Report Version: 6

Anonymous UUID: 09D5D2DC-52A9-4354-A35D-9172A24F8BEB

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle

Referenced from: /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote

Reason: image not found

• 2 weeks later...
For step #2, you can also just click on the elephant icon in the menu bar and choose "Quit"

Dave,

Is the process listed by tsflynn the Evernote recommended uninstall process?

This process seems potentially dangerous and complicated for many users. One miskey and you could do something unintended.

According to MacRumors.com some Mac apps do include a uninstaller when the app has many support files and/or the process may be complicated. For more info see Uninstalling Applications in Mac OS X.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

This is an ancient thread, but I wanted to update it with current information so that people could easily find out how to uninstall and reinstall Evernote. The instructions below are based on emails I received from Evernote support and they include a link to the home brew version of the Evernote app, which I recommend over the less functional Apple appstore one.

1. Sync, export, and backup your files. I think this is always a good idea before making changes to an application.

• Some people might think exporting your files (All Notes > CMD + a > File> Export Notes) as .enex and .html files is an unnecessary step. I say that it never hurts to have a little redundancy with your data. It's your choice.
  • For the backup, I recommend Time Machine. Make sure that your Evernote files are included in it. You can find your Evernote files at: (1)  Direct download from Evernote = user/library/application support/evernote, (2) Appstore download from Apple = ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote, or (3) Appstore download on Mac with a fusion drive = /Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/ 

2. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar.
3. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash and empty your Trash. Some people stop here, but I prefer to go through the files myself to make sure everything is gone (http://guides.macrum...ons_in_Mac_OS_X), or use something like AppZapper to get rid of the files (http://www.appzapper.com/).
4. Reboot your Mac
5. Download and install the latest version of the Mac client (this is the home brew, not the Apple appstore one)

6. Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

GM thanks for the reply. Internet connection is fine. I'll try to reinstall EN.

You're welcome. Make sure to completely clear out all Evernote stuff and download the home brew version (not the appstore one), to ensure the best results.

Hi,

I'm also having trouble. Evernote 5.0.3 doesn't sync and doesn't save my notes!!!

I'm Running laste version of Snow Leopard. My app was updated via Evernote update service.

I also trashed the app, downloaded the last package and installed again. No luck.

At this point this app is useless since everything I create doesn't get synched neither saved.

Any news about when are you gonna fix this mess?

• Level 5*

Hi,

I'm also having trouble. Evernote 5.0.3 doesn't sync and doesn't save my notes!!!

I'm Running laste version of Snow Leopard. My app was updated via Evernote update service.

I also trashed the app, downloaded the last package and installed again. No luck.

At this point this app is useless since everything I create doesn't get synched neither saved.

Any news about when are you gonna fix this mess?

For the time being, I would recommend rolling back to a previous version. You can find links all over the forum if you search for "downgrade" or " old version" and "Mac."

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I went to /Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support, but there is no /Evernote listed there.  Nor do I have a /Containers file.  Any idea where it may be hidden?

Hi. Here are some ideas. What computer, Evernote version, and operating system are you using?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33382-mac-os-x-mountain-lion-evernote-version-504-document-folder-location/

I went to /Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support, but there is no /Evernote listed there.  Nor do I have a /Containers file.  Any idea where it may be hidden?

Hi. Here are some ideas. What computer, Evernote version, and operating system are you using?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33382-mac-os-x-mountain-lion-evernote-version-504-document-folder-location/

iMac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2.  Evernote Version 5.0.6 Beta (02/06/2013) build 400871.  

• Level 5*

iMac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2.  Evernote Version 5.0.6 Beta (02/06/2013) build 400871.  

Is it a Fusion drive?

• 3 weeks later...

To GrumpyMonkey's post (pasted below) I would add:

3.a. Using a note name, search for all copies of that note and delete the containing folder, likely to be found in

Library>CoreData>
Library>Containers>

The folder to delete will have a name containing "com.evernote"

(I used AppZapper, it was a little unimpressive with respect to the above remainders.)

Thanks,

GrumpyMonkey
    •    
    •    
    •    
    •    Title: 不機嫌な猿
    •    Group: Evernote Evangelist
    •    6,749 posts
    •    
Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:47 PM
This is an ancient thread, but I wanted to update it with current information so that people could easily find out how to uninstall and reinstall Evernote. The instructions below are based on emails I received from Evernote support and they include a link to the home brew version of the Evernote app, which I recommend over the less functional Apple appstore one.

1. Sync, export, and backup your files. I think this is always a good idea before making changes to an application.
    •    Some people might think exporting your files (All Notes > CMD + a > File> Export Notes) as .enex and .html files is an unnecessary step. I say that it never hurts to have a little redundancy with your data. It's your choice.
    •    For the backup, I recommend Time Machine. Make sure that your Evernote files are included in it. You can find your Evernote files at /Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support/Evernote for the home brew version and at ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote for the appstore version.
3. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash and empty your Trash. Some people stop here, but I prefer to go through the files myself to make sure everything is gone (http://guides.macrum...ons_in_Mac_OS_X), or use something like AppZapper to get rid of the files (http://www.appzapper.com/).
4. Reboot your Mac
5. Download and install the latest version of the Mac client (this is the home brew, not the Apple appstore one)
    •    http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac
When you open the download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.

• 4 months later...

3.a. Using a note name, search for all copies of that note and delete the containing folder, likely to be found in

Library>CoreData>

Library>Containers>

(I used AppZapper, it was a little unimpressive with respect to the above remainders.)

Thanks,

GrumpyMonkey

•    

•    

•    

•    6,749 posts

•    

•    Some people might think exporting your files (All Notes > CMD + a > File> Export Notes) as .enex and .html files is an unnecessary step. I say that it never hurts to have a little redundancy with your data. It's your choice.

•    For the backup, I recommend Time Machine. Make sure that your Evernote files are included in it. You can find your Evernote files at /Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support/Evernote for the home brew version and at ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote for the appstore version.

4. Reboot your Mac

When you open the download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.

This one worked EVENTUALLY after quite a lot of trial from different post.

Thanks

Tgy

• Level 5*

Library>CoreData>

Library>Containers>

Thanks,

GrumpyMonkey

•    

•    

•    

•    6,749 posts

•    

4. Reboot your Mac

This one worked EVENTUALLY after quite a lot of trial from different post.

Thanks

Tgy

Glad that you got everything to work OK.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Level 5*

I have written a procedure to completely uninstall EN Mac, both app and data.

Your review and comments are much welcomed and appreciated.

You may find this procedure at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7107976/Evernote/KB/How-To-Completely-Uninstall-EN-Mac.html

EDIT:  The above has now been replaced with:  How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2016 at 3:10 PM, Mannequin Skywalker said:

As there is a mass exodus from Evernote to OneNote, now that the investors and 1%ers at Evernote are getting greedy, someone should come up with an uninstall Evernote program for FREE, the same way that Microsoft released their free Evernote to OneNote transfer application

Hi @Mannequin Skywalker, thanks for writing in and welcome to the Forums.

Users of the downloaded desktop application can uninstall and reinstall the application at any time without using a third party program using the steps that can be found in our Help Center:

How to Uninstall/Reinstall Evernote

Users are also able to export their data from Evernote and import their data back into Evernote at any time using the steps here:

How to Export/Import notes

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Archived