(Archived) Just downloaded and installed latest update and Evernote will not open now

ezgary

Idea

I just downloaded newest update and installed it, and now my Evernote will not open.  It just keeps giving me error message saying "evernote quit unexpectedly....." but will not reopen no matter whether I send in details or cancel and just try to open.   Can you help me?

50 replies to this idea

If you are not familar with the browser called Chrome, I can tell you that the screenshot is very clear. When loading, the favicon of the site is replaced with a spinning wheel. As the screenshot shows, the favicon is shown, and the page is fully loaded.

Has there been any development on the issue? If not, does anyone know of a good alternative to Evernote? Is Springpad good for shopping lists? Just found out it is web based. Nice idea, but not good enough for quickly writing or editing a note.

Same Here...

I also can't open Evernote (it opens for a second but crashes), where can i get the link to downgrade. I'm running 10.8.3 (ML)

Here is part of the crash report

Crashed Thread:  3  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priorityException Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

There is a VERY simple solution to this.   I've been having the same problem with Skitch for a couple weeks now, and checked my forum post after experiencing the problem in Evernote this morning.  Per forum post by Evernote Employee Jer Villanueva, I applied the fix below to fix Skitch.  This fix also fixed the problem with Evernote.

Link to Forum post:  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37988-skitch-for-mac-252-is-live/

Hi everyone, seems there are two main issues being reported here, Skitch crashes upon login and "The operation could not be completed" when trying to Export an image. Our dev team is currently investigating these and we're working on fixes as we speak. In the meantime, could you try the following suggestions? Please let us know if these suggestions help or not. We appreciate the feedback and continue to work on making Skitch perfect!

Skitch crashes upon login

We've identified a crash when the "Computer Name" is blank. For those that are running into this problem, please check that your Computer Name is not blank. This can be found under Apple > System Preferences > Sharing. If it is, please enter a computer name and then try logging in to Skitch.

13%2011:54%20AM.png

13%2011:56%20AM.png

"The operation could not be completed..." when Exporting

I encountered this error when I try to Export the image while I am not signed in. Even though I get an error, the image actually still gets exported. Can you please check that this is the case? We are currently investigating the cause of the error. If the image is NOT exported at all or if this happens even when signed in, then please let us know because that means you're probably encountering a different issue.

Even if the "Export" image works, I understand the error message can be an inconvenience. I would actually suggest using the "Drag Me" tab, which does not throw this error and is, in my opinion, much quicker!

13%201:27%20PM.png

I'm having the same problem. Updated, and now Evernote can't launch. 10.8.3 (12D78). Editing sharing prefs does not solve problem.

Problem obviously caused by the update. Ran Evernote.app ➡ answered "yes" to update ➡ can't run Evernote.app. No other changes in setup.

Was on the off-appstore version. After the update fiasco, I have tried to install the appstore version. Did not fix it. Tried the linked downgrade. Did not fix it.

When I launch Evernote, nothing happens. The process is unresponsive. Have checked permissions.

Though I force quit it, I am not given the option to send an error report. Is there a way of forcing the generation of a report?

Our latest version should resolve this issue.

To avoid cross-contamination, I cleansed my system of all things Evernote. From plists to caches, support applications and the lot). I then went to Evernote.com, which forced me to use the App Store. The version installed by the App Store is 5.1.3, and the bug remains.

Whenever I launch, the app goes straight to "not responding". Can't acces anything, and I have to force kill it. Though this is quite hard, as the process is only removed from the "force quit" dialogue. It remains running, and has to be hunted down through terminal. Below I have pasted the open files of the process. I can submit a sample from Activity Monitor, if you'd like.

The only way of getting a crash report is to download the standalone dmg-version linked above, and run the app from the disk image. It fails in the same way, but provides a report like the one I sent Helen.

/Users/rasmusmalver/Library/Containers/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper/Data/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/EvernoteHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteHelper/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Frameworks/ENSharedUtilities.framework/Versions/A/ENSharedUtilities/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Frameworks/Log4Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Log4Cocoa/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Frameworks/wav2gsm.framework/Versions/A/wav2gsm/System/Library/Frameworks/ScriptingBridge.framework/Versions/A/ScriptingBridge/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreLocation.framework/Versions/A/CoreLocation/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GeoServices.framework/Versions/A/GeoServices/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProtocolBuffer.framework/Versions/A/ProtocolBuffer/usr/lib/libffi.dylib/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Librarian.framework/Versions/A/Librarian/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/EvernoteHelper.app/Contents/Resources/background_graytex.tiff/usr/share/icu/icudt49l.dat/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc/private/var/folders/cm/566zpkyn1qq1lmq3pmdb5s580000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-036501.csstore/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile.bin/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ArtFile.bin/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/EvernoteHelper.app/Contents/Resources/Evernote.icns/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat/System/Library/Fonts/Monaco.dfont/usr/lib/dyld/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386/dev/null/dev/null/dev/nullcount=1, state=0x2count=1, state=0x2/Users/rasmusmalver/Library/Containers/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/logs/EvernoteHelper.log/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc->0x38bc6a2a8b62f019 

Our latest version should resolve this issue.

To avoid cross-contamination, I cleansed my system of all things Evernote. From plists to caches, support applications and the lot). I then went to Evernote.com, which forced me to use the App Store. The version installed by the App Store is 5.1.3, and the bug remains.

Rasmus, running from a dmg will cause some strange behaviors (not limited to crashing). Give Evernote from here a shot: http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac

Yes. I know. I read your reply, tried it and replied. This is circular. You newest version has not fixed the bug.

And as you know from my detailed error report and screencast, this version does not work. It infects the system with the virus called "Evernote helper", which it takes a secure boot to remove.

Have any of the previous posters found a solution?

• Level 5*

And as you know from my detailed error report and screencast, this version does not work. It infects the system with the virus called "Evernote helper", which it takes a secure boot to remove.

Have any of the previous posters found a solution?

Hi. Evernote Helper is not an infection, but part of the application. If you want to turn it off, go into your preferences for the app and uncheck the boxes.

Have you not read the thread? IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ACCESS THE PREFERENCES FOR THE APP, AS THE APP DOES NOT WORK.

If you follow the directions given, the infection is spread on your computer. Removing the host app, and deleting all Evernote files does not clear the system of the infection. A safe reboot is required, as the "evernote helper" replaces any file deleted, and relaunches any process killed.

not |nɒt|

adverb

1 (also n't joined to a preceding verb)used with an auxiliary verb or ‘be’ to form the negative: he would not say | she isn't there | didn't you tell me?

• used in some constructions with other verbs: [ with infinitive ] : he has been warned not to touch | the pain of not knowing | she not only wrote the text but also researched the photographs.

• Level 5*

Have you not read the thread? IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ACCESS THE PREFERENCES FOR THE APP, AS THE APP DOES NOT WORK.

If you follow the directions given, the infection is spread on your computer. Removing the host app, and deleting all Evernote files does not clear the system of the infection. A safe reboot is required, as the "evernote helper" replaces any file deleted, and relaunches any process killed.

not |nɒt|

adverb

1 (also n't joined to a preceding verb)used with an auxiliary verb or ‘be’ to form the negative: he would not say | she isn't there | didn't you tell me?

• used in some constructions with other verbs: [ with infinitive ] : he has been warned not to touch | the pain of not knowing | she not only wrote the text but also researched the photographs.

I've read the thread, and I understand what the word "not" means. Thank you. As I said, Evernote Helper is not an infection. If you have cleaned Evernote out of your system and download the app directly from Evernote (in your case, you may want to use something like App Zapper -- here are instructions for the reinstall http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135) I think it ought to work fine. Please note (as I mention on the page) that you do NOT (there is your word) click the green button. In the screenshot you posted before, I think you clicked the green button (I know it is confusing, but this is our only way to get to the direct download version). As soon as you go to the direct download page, it will automatically download the app onto your computer (to wherever you have directed Chrome to save downloads).

If the procedures don't work, then I would contact support, as suggested in previous posts. If you do contact them, please post your support ticket number here as well.

not |nɒt|

adverb

Take a breath & chill.  As GM said, Evernote helper is NOT a virus. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37497-where-is-evernote-helper/

And you should be nicer to GM as he is very knowledgeable about Evernote on the Mac.

In addition to the above answers--the non-appstore/direct download version of Mac (which Jack provided) has an option that allows you to prevent the Helper from deploying--check the preferences here:

13%2012:24%20PM.png

gbarry, I refer you to my definition of "not". If you are unable to launch Evernote, how would you access the preferences? Have you seen the screencast?

BurgersNFries, it is an uninstallable process the user has not chosen to install, which the user has no control over, which keeps re-launching itself, and rewriting deleted files. It's easy to tell other people to chill, if you ignore the context, and disregard the provided facts. Have you seen the screencast?

GrumpyMonkey, have you seen the screencast? No, AppZapper is not capable of removing it. 

Have you seen the topic of the thread? Re-installing it does not fix it. 

If you had read the thread, you would know that I used the non-appstore version (1), which stopped working after the update, tried the appstore-version (2), which didn't work, tried the first provided version (3), which didn't work, and tried the second provided version (4), which didn't work. Apart from this, I have attempted to run it in a closed environment (5), an open environment (6), as a single process (7), as a sudo process (8), with everything else (9), without else (10) and on several terminals (11-15). Guess what! It didn't work.

I have submitted crash reports, screencasts, tickets and the lot.

Please don't post, if you have not read the header on the topic, and have nothing to add. The last asked question was: Has any previous poster (non-Evernote evangelist or employed flamer) found an alternative application, that works on Mac and Android?

Please don't post, if you have not read the header on the topic, and have nothing to add.

Please refrain from spreading incorrect information (IE calling this a "virus" when indeed, it is NOT a virus.)

This is a user's forum & you cannot dictate who will post or what. People are generally allowed to post whatever they want, so long as it's not spam or personal attacks.

• Level 5*

gbarry, I refer you to my definition of "not". If you are unable to launch Evernote, how would you access the preferences? Have you seen the screencast?

BurgersNFries, it is an uninstallable process the user has not chosen to install, which the user has no control over, which keeps re-launching itself, and rewriting deleted files. It's easy to tell other people to chill, if you ignore the context, and disregard the provided facts. Have you seen the screencast?

GrumpyMonkey, have you seen the screencast? No, AppZapper is not capable of removing it. 

Have you seen the topic of the thread? Re-installing it does not fix it. 

If you had read the thread, you would know that I used the non-appstore version (1), which stopped working after the update, tried the appstore-version (2), which didn't work, tried the first provided version (3), which didn't work, and tried the second provided version (4), which didn't work. Apart from this, I have attempted to run it in a closed environment (5), an open environment (6), as a single process (7), as a sudo process (8), with everything else (9), without else (10) and on several terminals (11-15). Guess what! It didn't work.

I have submitted crash reports, screencasts, tickets and the lot.

Please don't post, if you have not read the header on the topic, and have nothing to add. The last asked question was: Has any previous poster (non-Evernote evangelist or employed flamer) found an alternative application, that works on Mac and Android?

I have seen the topic of the thread, as have the other posters.

I have read the thread, as have the other posters.

I comprehend the concept of "not," as does everyone else in this thread.

I have used app zapper with success in the past

I have also gone into my files and deleted the relevant files myself.

If the advice offered to you before in the thread and support is not able to help you, then I recommend wiping your drive, reinstalling the OS, and then installing Evernote before installing anything else, because I am guessing that another application is causing this problem.

If you want another app that works just like Evernote on the Mac and Android, then you are out of luck (as far as I know). However, if you are willing to work exclusively in plain text, then nvALT + Drafts is a nice combination.

We've had some reports of users who are unable to load Evernote version 5.1.3 due to a very specific type of crash, and should have a release available soon to address that.

You can try installing this older version instead in the meantime:

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/3330/

However, being derogatory toward members (attempting to help you, I might add) and resorting to name calling is against our forum rules, so we will be locking this thread now.

So yeah, I can't open Evernote on my mac with the currently update. It crashes everytime I try.

Process:         Evernote [796]
Path:            /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote
Identifier:      com.evernote.Evernote
Version:         5.1.1 (401260)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [218]

Date/Time:       2013-05-23 12:29:08.793 -0700
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          2290544 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           7
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  51 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   5
Anonymous UUID:                      C44D46AF-5C14-4C1A-84D2-131BBDB7A363

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000005
Crashed Thread:  2  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priority

Model: MacBookPro5,1, BootROM MBP51.007E.B06, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.33f8
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, PCIe, 256 MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HTS545032B9SA02, 298.09 GB
Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS21N
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8507, 0x24400000 / 2
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8213, 0x06110000 / 3
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x0236, 0x04600000 / 3
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x04500000 / 2

Hello everyone,

just wanted to give you guys the heads up that I had to downgrade to 5.0.6 in order to be able to use Evernote. Installed 5.1.1 today (I always update to newest version ASAP and normally never have problems) and then was not able to open Evernote.

Evernote opens briefly, and then immediately crashes. I tried removing the folders out of Library/Containers as well as Library/Application Support, to no avail. Downgrading worked, so I'm just going to wait until 5.1.2 or something comes out.

Can download old version here:

http://evernote-mac.en.softonic.com/mac

• Level 5*

Hello everyone,

just wanted to give you guys the heads up that I had to downgrade to 5.0.6 in order to be able to use Evernote. Installed 5.1.1 today (I always update to newest version ASAP and normally never have problems) and then was not able to open Evernote.

Evernote opens briefly, and then immediately crashes. I tried removing the folders out of Library/Containers as well as Library/Application Support, to no avail. Downgrading worked, so I'm just going to wait until 5.1.2 or something comes out.

Yep, Evernote updates have often had serious bugs for about a year now.  So, about 9 months ago, I stopped the normal "auto-upgrade" that I had been doing.  Now, I wait for at least a few weeks to see if there are any adverse reports (like yours) before making the update.

IOW, I started treating Evernote just like I do Microsoft and Apple -- wait and see for updates.  Update ONLY if there is a compelling reason to do so.

• Level 5*

It installed fine for me, and is running with no problems. Edit: thought that this was a Windows-related post (Windows client also refreshed today), but it ain't, so withdrawing this.

That is correct. I tried uninstall / reinstall, that didn't work. Tried removing Evernote-related folders (see original post for the two folders) and that didn't work either.

Sorry to hear this.  I'm assuming you attempted a general uninstall/reinstall of 5.1.1 prior to downgrading? 

Tried everything crash crash crash, talked to chat they say it’s a big issue lots and lots of callers reporting same issue!!! 

I have tried the remove reinstall but still get crash crash crash issues

How do updates get out of beta without testing this. Also why does EN not put a stickie on telling people not to update or remove it till it is fixed?

Also advice how to reverse / roll back

Come on EN (please) this is not a joke people run businesses from you’re app 

Thorrrr

We weren't running into this issue in beta--sometimes it takes a release to millions (rather than around 100 at the moment, we're growing the program) to uncover a particular issue.

There's a hotfix presently getting tested by support that may resolve the crash problem if an uninstall/reinstall doesn't fix. They're collecting all crash instances and providing real time feedback to our Mac team on this, so please submit a support request reporting your Mac crash issue and a tech will begin working with you on it.  Thorrr, I've already dropped into your ticket and sent along to you.

Broskiier--I'd submit a ticket to snag the possible hotfix as well.

For anyone else who is having the crashing issue, and doesn't want to move off the Appstore version, please try setting a computer name in your sharing preferences. This should correct the issue.

Having similar problems. Installed 5.1.1 update, and now get the spinning beach ball every time I try to make a new note, or save an edited note. My system is Mountain Lion.

-------------

Later update: Subsequently had a similar issue with Preview, so I rebooted my system. Evernote now seem to work correctly after the reboot.

I also can't open Evernote (it opens for a second but crashes), where can i get the link to downgrade. I'm running 10.8.3 (ML)

Here is part of the crash report

Crashed Thread:  3  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priorityException Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Yes. I am now unable to use evernote.  I have the exact same message above.  Running the most recent mountain lion update.  Evernote immediately crashes even after uninstalling it.  reinstalling it. and logging in and restarting the mac

All, if you happen to notice, we're merging Mac crash problem threads into a single discussion to keep things centered on possible fixes.  Please submit a support ticket so we can run through a possible hotfix.  There's downgrade info upthread.

HI Guys

Up and running on version 5.1.2 no more crashes well done to all the EN Mac Team for turning this round so quick.

We are all very quick to get annoyed (well i am) :)

But at the same time i will be the first to dish out well done and praise and the EN mac team with support have done a good job on this one.

Thank You

We've deployed the hotfix, which has been working for reported crashes thus far.

(EDITED: this is a downgrade link to 5.0.7--my apologies)

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMac

Be aware that direct download version is slightly different from the app store version in how it stores local notebooks, so you may temporarily lose access to (not actual data loss) to your local (not connected to our webservice) notebooks if you're bouncing between download types.

Thanks, Broskiier, for the link to 5.06.  that got me back up and running.  Think I will wait awhile before installing 5.1.2.  Tough when you depend on a product and updates aren't tested fully.  I almost upgraded to Premium today before the update started crashing.  Hmmm, think I'll wait.

Archived