Evernote Legacy

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

4 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

110% súhlasím@AlbertRže@Net-confignemohol to povedať lepšie. EN stratil moju dôveru a už ju nebudem nikomu odporúčať tak ako kedysi.

Do svojich poznámok investujem obrovské množstvo času a medzi NÚTENÝM aktualizovaním aplikácie pre Android na výrazne horšiu verziu, než bola predtým, až po úplnú neschopnosť mnohých pracovníkov podpory vysvetliť stratené/zmenené formátovanie poznámok, som neochotný veriť čomukoľvek EN (priamo) hovorí alebo robí, nehovoriac o tom, že sa to páči používateľovi@PinkElephant(Kto do pekla vlastne ste a prečo si myslíte, že môžete hovoriť v mene spoločnosti?)

I dont know, who is @Ružový slon , but he has helped me more than once on the forum... whatever he is... I'm glad he's here...

6 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

who the hell are you anyway & why do you think you can speak on behalf of the company?)

These are user forums! We can all share an opinion! Some are positive about the product like Pinks and trying to help others, some are disgracefully obnoxious like yours. There’s a great variety! 

• Like 4
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, Razmataz said:
  1. can right-click an attachment for copying out of V10, but the copy option is grayed out. Yeah, you can still copy it because on the top menu the option still works. It just interrupts a smooth and quick flow and violates logic.
  2. Whether an attachment is is displayed as preview or just a title is totally random end even if you set it once (one must do that for every single attachment in the note separately), the V10 forgets the setting after editing the attachment.
  1. I just checked several notes. Copy is present in right-click menus for image attachments. It is not present for PDF and document attachments--but Save As is present, as is the download icon above the attachment when right clicking.
  2. This can be set for all new attachments per category in settings. It does not go back and re-set previously attached items.
16 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

Absolútne!!!!!! Určite sa pozriem na Obsidian. Vďaka@fuchsfr

Obsidian is OK for some users.. but not for everbody. 

I have it installed, but I can't replace my use of Evernote with it. The advantage is that it is free and the data is yours exclusively. But that's where the advantages end for me... For example:
- I can't edit a file in the default app direct from note
- I can't annotate images "in Skitch" (this is very important for me) 
- I can't add tags
- I can't resize text arbitrarily
.. realistically there's more I'm missing... 

But really for some uses it is excellent, need to try it out.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ferol said:

I have it installed, but I can't replace my use of Evernote with it. The advantage is that it is free and the data is yours exclusively. But that's where the advantages end for me... For example:
- I can't edit a file in the default app direct from note
- I can't annotate images (this is very important for me)
- I can't add tags
- I can't resize text arbitrarily
.. realistically there's more I'm missing... 

I also wish there was a way to do the first two items on your list in Obsidian. There is a way to get at them fairly quickly with shortcuts and open them to edit, but it's not as seamless as an Evernote attachment nor is there built in non-destructive annotating on images like what we have with Evernote -- a very handy feature indeed.

However, not adding tags? Tags are as simple as typing a hash '#' followed by whatever you want. You can add tags anywhere in the document this way. You can also add tags in what is known as "front-matter" -- at the top of the document. These tags apply to the whole document as a whole. Anyways, I find tags a bit better in Obsidian than Evernote.

oh - and yes - I agree it is definitely not for everybody, but Obsidian is OK for this user. 😁

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Razmataz said:

If features are dropped, workflows are broken and many bugs are introduced in the new software, then it is less understandable. 

I reported a number of bugs in V10, none of them got fixed.

2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

But as long as our workflows keep broken, we'll insist on either Legacy availability or EN10 being able to replace it.

As others have pointed out, v. 6 had bugs too, and some of them existed for many months without being fixed. (And of course there are others who complain about the constant updates on v. 10, which is what fixing bugs requires.)

Workflows: This is the most constant refrain of the Legacy supporters. Now that Legacy is in fact about to depart, I invite you to recall the days when you first began to use Evernote. Didn't it break your previous workflow? Didn't you spend weeks or months developing the workflow that you depend on Legacy to implement? No workflow drops down from the skies complete. Taking up new tools requires new patterns of work. And v. 10 is a new tool in many ways. You are smart people, obviously, and if you adapted and re-created workflows to use Evernote v. 6 (or 5, or 4...), then, however reluctantly, you can surely do so again.

42 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Anyone still using Legacy uses it because it WORKS.  The new product still does not.

In the month of Legacy that you have remaining, please try using it to create a backlink. Or a connection to a calendar. Or a task. The other constant refrain is that "no one needs" the new features added in v. 10--again and again, v. 6 devotees (not all of them, but many) assert that only their experience is valid, that what "doesn't work" for them doesn't work for anybody. This refrain of "I don't want it, so no one should have it" is the one that I find most irritating.

Instead of mourning what no longer exists, and pretending that v. 10 offers nothing new that's worthwhile, give its new features a try. Use the Web client if you don't want to install the v. 10 app yet. Lots of us who now find v. 10 useful did not when it was released several years ago with a lot of features lacking. I continued using v. 6 for a year or two, then gradually accustomed myself to the new version as it improved, using the Web client. I don't regret it.

Or you could call me a fanboy and a secret Evernote employee and cling to Legacy till it gets torn out of your grasp. Lots of choices here.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

What Default app ?

- images yup - I use snagit editor to annotate

- tags, sure you can just add #and type, you cannot use spaces between tags, but you can use nested tags

- text,. yup your stuck with what ever you set a normal, but you can bold, underline, header.... there are ways

- it does really depend on your use case.  I use it to get things done, so function over format matters to me.

but it you are not doing saved searches on todo check boxes filtering, then I think the New Evernote works.  Its just the new price you need to get use to.

Damn... and now you've both  ( @fuchsfr and @Boot17)  got me schizophrenic :)  

I've been using Snagit for years, but only to record videos. That said, Evernote has a nifty built-in system, so I've never used it to annotate images... and damn, it works in Obsidian...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Because I still have a v. 6.25 installation on an older computer, this morning I received an email with subject line "Action required ⚠️ You must update Evernote." If you use Legacy, please look for this email. It begins:

On March 23, 2024, we’ll be saying goodbye to legacy versions of the Evernote app. On that date, all versions of Evernote released prior to v10 on macOS, Windows, and Android will stop working. The iOS version has already been decommissioned.

So this is it, and we have been given a month's notice. The email has a link to a blog post also: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning. The first sentence of the blog post is "The situation discussed in this post impacts only the 1% of Evernote users who are still running legacy software on macOS, Windows, and Android" (emphasis as in the post.)

1%. What a lot of time I have wasted here!

• Level 5
6 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

We do listen. And we try our best to prioritize according to how many people are asking or would use a specific thing, based on how expensive something is to build in terms of time....

In February alone, we're rolling out a full-size Calendar section, Outlook calendar integration, a better New Note button, a whole new desktop UI, in-app notifications, image alignment controls inside the editor, and an improvement to breadcrumbs. We're already working on /commands, AI Edit, collapsible sections and more....

Thank you very much for this reminder and these insights into everything that has been accomplished and is being accomplished.

But ... (you know where I'm going, don't you?) ... the "whole new desktop UI": did anybody at all among Evernote's users ask for that? And can we infer from the expression "desktop UI" that it will not be applied to the mobile apps?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

<Workflows> I invite you to recall the days when you first began to use Evernote. Didn't it break your previous workflow? Didn't you spend weeks or months developing the workflow that you depend on Legacy to implement? No workflow drops down from the skies complete. Taking up new tools requires new patterns of work.

You're right - but it was my choice to enhance my workflows with EN's great app and service. Nobody forced me to stop/reinvent my older (not really fancy) workflows. In the past years my hope was (and truely is) that EN10 will continue to bring EN10 to a level, we all are used to use with older versions.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

this morning I received an email with subject line "Action required ⚠️ You must update Evernote."

Me too - and I'm proud to be one the 1% users 👍
But if they are that acribic with counting our usage preferences, they should know that I'm already on EN10 to figure out it's "advantages" 🤔 

IIRC they also stated before some months, that only 2% (or was it 5%? - correct me if I' wrong) of all users use tags. <sarcasm> Is it really worth to care for these few idiots in future? </sarcasm>

I hope to get similar counts on API usage.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

<new features> The other constant refrain is that "no one needs" the new features added

I hope to get similar counts on Tasks.

But coming back to today's eMail and Blog post... It's in fact OK - but comes late in that clearness - and with one annoying hint:

Back up your notes. Consider backing up all your notes as ENEX files before updating. ...

Why? Backing up my notes to EN's task! If I do it locally, I'll lose all my internal links if I 

... easily re-upload any content back into Evernote...

But OK, it's a Blog post that might be corrected silently the next days 😉.

• Like 1

There are a handful of features I miss from Legacy such as a bigger tag view "tag kingdom" which would make it easier to re-organize tags. With a full-size calendar coming soon, maybe the tag view could get a similar full-size treatment? 🤔

As for bugs and problems with the UI refresh, my biggest issue with the UI refresh is I can no longer copy and paste tags from the bottom of a note. There are many times when I need to assign the same tags to a new note (such as after clipping an important page that needs the same tags as an existing note).

How are others handling this? Multi-selecting notes and using the "edit tags" function is much slower and more error prone than the old way of simply highlighting the tags at the bottom of the note, copying, then pasting into a new note.*

*NB: Legacy made this even easier as I could click on any tag at the bottom of a note, use CMD-A to select all tags, then copy and paste as above. V10 got rid of the ability to CMD-A (which to be clear, I miss), but the UI refresh has completely eliminated this workflow.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Spendingbooms? Like why? I gotta say I’ve never seen worse, nails scratching a chalkboard level icky puns than I have from irate notes users. Someone have mercy on our eyes! 

Actually, I kind of liked Spendingbooms. 😅

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You obviously misunderstood the blog post. This is about command / shortcuts.

You find the regular shortcuts here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807-Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Evernote-for-Windows

thanks for the response.  I don't really understand what you mean.  I am exactly interested in using many of the shortcuts mentioned in that blog post which are now available in legacy.  will they all be available in the current version?  (especially  Capture screen    Alt + Ctrl + S)

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, marc a said:

thanks for the response.  I don't really understand what you mean.  I am exactly interested in using many of the shortcuts mentioned in that blog post which are now available in legacy.  will they all be available in the current version?  (especially  Capture screen    Alt + Ctrl + S)

Just WRT that last, I just used Alt+Ctrl+S to clip a section of screen and create a note -- on Windows 10. I believe that it's in Windows 11, and because of Windows 11, that that shortcut no longer works in Evernote.

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, marc a said:

I am exactly interested in using many of the shortcuts mentioned in that blog post which are now available in legacy.  will they all be available in the current version?  (especially  Capture screen    Alt + Ctrl + S)

What is not clear about the current shortcuts ?

alt&ctrl&S is the screen capture shortcut - but not in legacy, it is in the new version.

IMG_0720.thumb.jpeg.85653cd604b13481a337c483498259ea.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Copy paste looks like a bug. A few weeks ago on a call folks were mentioning copy/pasting and I think its on a list to work on.

Attachment thing I don't see at all. It remembers all my view settings fine. There was a bug a few versions ago on this but as far as I know it was fixed.

I wouldn't call stored searches a bug just a change in behavior. It may come back but again depends on how many folk perform this action.

Just exported a bunch of notes as HTML and the links worked fine.

You on the lastest version? 10.77.3.

Thank you again.

Thanks, Jon/t. I did not have the latest version. But when I tried update, I was told I do have it.

Why?

Never mind, I downloaded the latest version 10.77.3 and tried.

1. The links to other notes do work. I stand corrected.
  2. The (implicit) links to the attachments, i.e. when I click on them (e.g. a PDF file or an Excel file) still do not work.

Thank you.

• Level 5
7 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

The (implicit) links to the attachments, i.e. when I click on them (e.g. a PDF file or an Excel file) still do not work.

Just regarding this: when I click on a PDF (displayed as title only), I get icons and menus with options to save, open, rename, edit/annotate. For MS Word documents, the options are save, open, and rename. What functions are not working for you?

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, Feitz said:
5 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

Anyone still using Legacy uses it because it WORKS.  The new product still does not.

+1, thank you

As long as "for them" is added, I'm sure this is correct. But I would prefer not to see sweeping statements that seem to include my experience, but do not. For me, v. 10 works. Legacy does not, because I need to use backlinks. "For me ... I need": include that, and all is peace and light. 😁

• Like 1

I think @fuchsfr meant that all of the Legacy features that are present in Legacy do work properly (that was not always the case but 7.14 is rock solid).

I will follow Federico's advice and export everything to ENEX files and put my important stuff elsewhere. I will not want do to this again, so I'm heading to a more OS-based approach.

I am one of the people who is still using Legacy and I would welcome advice about how to tag multiple notes in v10. I know that you can click on the desired notes and then tag them all at once. I also know that you can copy all the tags from one note to another but neither is an efficient way of doing what I did in Legacy. In legacy I could select a bunch of notes some of which with no tags and some with partially overlapping tags, click on CTRL+ALT+T and all and only the tags used in some or all of the selected notes would appear I could then click on each tag for it to be added to all notes or removed from all. I have many many tags and so scrolling down the whole list to find which is used in at least one note is not an option because it is too time consuming. I do this tagging processs more than twenty times every day, I know I cannot follow the same steps with v10, but is there another way of achieving the final result and that would not take an age in v10?

I really would welcome help since if there is no way to do what I need between now and when legacy stops I would have to start soon exporting eveything and finding another app inferior to Legacy but where what I need to do is possible or if none exist completely change the way I work. Unfortunately working offline is essential to me which further complicates matters.

Any positive suggestions are welcome. Thank you

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just regarding this: when I click on a PDF (displayed as title only), I get icons and menus with options to save, open, rename, edit/annotate. For MS Word documents, the options are save, open, and rename. What functions are not working for you?

Dave,
I am talking about an exported "as HTML file" note that has attachments.

In that HTML file I see the text of the note and the thumbnails of the attachments with the correct files names.

It is these thumbnails that do not do anything. In the legacy version, when you clicked on a thumbnail it opened the file (sorry, @PinkElephant, it really did). Now that would the expected behavior, would it not?

• Level 5

This really is a no brainer: The links in HTML export from the HTML file to the attachments in the folder are broken, since v10 launched.

I send 2 or 3 tickets about it myself, I have mentioned it several times here in the forum, and that’s it by now. Still „kaputt“.

They can be corrected manually, which shows it’s just a stupid bug that is creating a nearly correct link, minus 1 essential character.

• Thanks 2

I think what the new EN owners & some of their fanboys on here are missing by this extremely heated thread is that there are PLENTY OF USERS WHO WOULD PREFER TO JUST KEEP USING LEGACY VERSION BECAUSE IT WORKED. 

Any disgruntled/past EN programmers would become instantly famous if they were to offer an app like that.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Alessandra said:

I am one of the people who is still using Legacy and I would welcome advice about how to tag multiple notes in v10. I know that you can click on the desired notes and then tag them all at once. I also know that you can copy all the tags from one note to another but neither is an efficient way of doing what I did in Legacy. In legacy I could select a bunch of notes some of which with no tags and some with partially overlapping tags, click on CTRL+ALT+T and all and only the tags used in some or all of the selected notes would appear I could then click on each tag for it to be added to all notes or removed from all. I have many many tags and so scrolling down the whole list to find which is used in at least one note is not an option because it is too time consuming

I have the same question and the same pain point that I wrote about above, about a dozens posts earlier. Just a quick correction to the bolded/italicized section above - as of the very latest Evernote V10 update (with the UI refresh), I can find no way to copy and paste tags anymore. :( (I know you said that doesn't work for you but it did work for me and I'm frustrated to see it gone.)

I do like your suggestion, however. If they could improve the "edit tag" experience (Ctrl-Cmd-Opt-T on Mac) so that all tags which appear on at least one note are sorted to the top of the view, that would be a big improvement. Is that how it works on Legacy?

23 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I have the same question and the same pain point that I wrote about above, about a dozens posts earlier. Just a quick correction to the bolded/italicized section above - as of the very latest Evernote V10 update (with the UI refresh), I can find no way to copy and paste tags anymore. :( (I know you said that doesn't work for you but it did work for me and I'm frustrated to see it gone.)

I do like your suggestion, however. If they could improve the "edit tag" experience (Ctrl-Cmd-Opt-T on Mac) so that all tags which appear on at least one note are sorted to the top of the view, that would be a big improvement. Is that how it works on Legacy?

Yes it is. There is the option to see only the tags used in some notes rather than only those used in every selected notes. If they changed that I would be delighted 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, enfan-01 said:

I think what the new EN owners & some of their fanboys on here are missing by this extremely heated thread is that there are PLENTY OF USERS WHO WOULD PREFER TO JUST KEEP USING LEGACY VERSION BECAUSE IT WORKED. 

Any disgruntled/past EN programmers would become instantly famous if they were to offer an app like that.

This is true.  However, it is what it is and it's very unproductive to keep bemoaning something that is obviously on its way out.  I loved Legacy and I struggle with v10 but I simply had to move on and figure out how to use it.  It has many advantages over Legacy but there is no question that a lot of good stuff has gone.

• Like 4

I appreciate your words @idoc, they give me some hope.  I'm self-employed trying to keep my head above water & am currently working non-stop, so the last thing I need right now is to be forced to learn to use a new app, especially one that I have invested so much time into & rely on very heavily.  I got this notice today on my desktop legacy version & don't even understand what "we're removing this version" even entails.x1.jpg.dfc549f1369c9a2a8a85eb1d3da20036.jpg

I'd love to have a cushy job that allowed me time to research, test & implement new software all day, but that's not what pays my bills.

This is especially galling because of the price increases & known lack of features in the new 'forced' version that this company is shoving down our throats!  Call it bemoaning if you like, but I'm a paying customer who helped get EN where it is today!

59 minutes ago, Alessandra said:

Yes it is. There is the option to see only the tags used in some notes rather than only those used in every selected notes. If they changed that I would be delighted 

Great. Could you take a screenshot of the legacy feature? It would help visualize how it could work better on v10.

Beyond that, do you use Twitter? Federico is active on Twitter and he's responded to many suggestions for feature improvements there. I saw someone say that BS thinks only a small percentage use tags so the more people that they see are requesting tag improvements, the better.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

I appreciate your words @idoc, they give me some hope.  I'm self-employed trying to keep my head above water & am currently working non-stop, so the last thing I need right now is to be forced to learn to use a new app, especially one that I have invested so much time into & rely on very heavily.  I got this notice today on my desktop legacy version & don't even understand what "we're removing this version" even entails.x1.jpg.dfc549f1369c9a2a8a85eb1d3da20036.jpg

I'd love to have a cushy job that allowed me time to research, test & implement new software all day, but that's not what pays my bills.

This is especially galling because of the price increases & known lack of features in the new 'forced' version that this company is shoving down our throats!  Call it bemoaning if you like, but I'm a paying customer who helped get EN where it is today!

If you are running Win10 or 11 you should gravitate to the new Evernote v10.  Yes, there will be a learning curve but I think it is worth it.  EN v10 has removed some of the simplicity and even some valuable features of Legacy.  There are lots of posts here about how much better some things worked under Legacy and overall I was very happy with it.  On the other hand, there are a lot of excellent things in v10 that were not available with Legacy.  Also, v10 moves seamlessly between iphone, ipad, desktop and even online EN.  This was not the case with Legacy which was a mish mash of different platforms that appeared and behaved in different ways depending on the device.  I move effortlessly now between all these platforms.  Likewise, I embraced the Tasks feature of v10 and have incorporated it into my routine.  Also, the search features of v10 are a little bit more slick in that you can more easily use filters to really refine your searches.  Other nice little features such as backlinks and the excellent web clipper have been quite useful and work much better on v10.  There are a few things that v10 has messed up but I've found that there are usually ways around it and none of them have been deal breakers.  IMHO there is nothing currently better out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here to say that I still do not have a fix for screenshots with EN v10, the ONLY reason I have been using Legacy alongside v10.

When I attempt a screenshot with the v10 helper, using any of the three screenshot options at the bottom of the small helper window, as I click to take the shot, EN pops to the top of my active windows and the screenshot is taken of whatever is open in EN.

Yes, I have allowed EN v10 appropriate permissions. I've double checked multiple times.

Yes, I've tried downloading and reinstalling EN v10. Still have same problem.

I still have the same problem that I first wrote about in September 2021 (see screenshot below).

Escalated to support, who replied 

"Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out.

We can confirm there currently is a 2 device sync limit in place for Evernote Free users. This means you can use Evernote on two devices only. Please note that Evernote Web counts as a device.

To sync a device, just log into your Evernote account normally." 
(.....+ blah blah blah how to sync/unsync).

I note I've been a Premium user for years, now Pro, so I don't see why this would apply, never mind that it doesn't address my concern.

I don't give a <censored> re new UI, in-app notifications, AI-editing. I just want to be able to do my work without the tool I am using working against me.

(MacBook Pro, iOS v12.7.3, EN v10.77.3 and LEGACY)

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 9.52.03 PM.png

7 minutes ago, BLK Dragon said:

can it store ALL data locally (so I can access ANY note offline) ?

Yes. It has everything offline so if you have no wifi you can access notes.

What is doesn't have is local-only notebooks which are not on the cloud.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This really is a no brainer: The links in HTML export from the HTML file to the attachments in the folder are broken, since v10 launched.

I send 2 or 3 tickets about it myself, I have mentioned it several times here in the forum, and that’s it by now. Still „kaputt“.

They can be corrected manually, which shows it’s just a stupid bug that is creating a nearly correct link, minus 1 essential character.

Thanks. Do you mind sharing what character is missing and where? I might have to write a script or something to fix the links then (if easy enough). Because after March 23rd it will not be possible to export functioning HTML files from Evernote.  

Sad as it is. 

And this is where @Federico Simionato
's post worries me. What if only a few % of the users are worried about this glaring bug? They won't fix it?

Just now, Jon/t said:

Local notebooks are disappeared looong time ago, AFAIK.

First versions of 'new' Evernote seemed to store everything in 'cloud' and cached (very) small amount of notes locally, which was very slow and clunky and basically unusable. If v10 stopped doing that <censored>, I probably continue using EN.

32 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

And next (predictable) question -- is there a way do "download EVERYTHING" ?

I mean to get all data offline (without clicking every single notebook and scrolling down to force download its notes)

God have mercy on us!

As I posted before I struggle with V10's bugs and I wrote about the HTML export bug (confirmed by @PinkElephant!) that attachments are not clickable.

What worked up to now though is printing or exporting the notes in PDF files and in HTML export the attachments had correct file names (they were just not clickable).

Well, not anymore.

Here is a note:

image.png.b74b651f3a354340e158a9cd5e8bbc16.png

Here is how export into HTML or into PDF or printing looks like:

image.png.7266a1832b1e76b7fd044391e47efd67.png

Both attachments are untitled. But in the HTML export, in the proper subfolder the exported attachments actually do have their correct filenames.

I really do not want to annoy anyone, but there are no such problems in legacy, so I can (and do) use that. 4 more weeks and then is Evernote unusable for these tasks.

Has anyone seen this problem?

4 hours ago, Razmataz said:

God have mercy on us!

As I posted before I struggle with V10's bugs and I wrote about the HTML export bug (confirmed by @PinkElephant!) that attachments are not clickable.

What worked up to now though is printing or exporting the notes in PDF files and in HTML export the attachments had correct file names (they were just not clickable).

Well, not anymore.

Here is a note:

image.png.b74b651f3a354340e158a9cd5e8bbc16.png

Here is how export into HTML or into PDF or printing looks like:

image.png.7266a1832b1e76b7fd044391e47efd67.png

Both attachments are untitled. But in the HTML export, in the proper subfolder the exported attachments actually do have their correct filenames.

I really do not want to annoy anyone, but there are no such problems in legacy, so I can (and do) use that. 4 more weeks and then is Evernote unusable for these tasks.

Has anyone seen this problem?

I am not seeing this when I try the same thing.  I exported a note containing a pdf file to html and I could see the name properly 

image.png.e3f7173b3aed45625f3a85af6f5bfddc.png

image.png.59c189dfd5dae20e4a956b2a25dc5e23.png

image.png.125ae511580ed29c4db6e133bb0fa73e.png

And when I open it I see my original pdf

image.png.f60ac592215e8795ea068987c8ceb13a.png

7 hours ago, BLK Dragon said:

I mean to get all data offline (without clicking every single notebook and scrolling down to force download its notes)

In my case I store all of my 10,000 notes in 7 notebooks.  So I can quite easily create a backup enex file of each notebook and store it in Gdrive or Dropbox.  It takes me about half an hour to do all 7 and I do this every few months.  Some people have a workflow whereby they've created hundreds of notebooks and this would be quite cumbersome.  Backupery is probably ideal for those circumstances (I tried it but I was just as quick doing it myself with 7 notebooks).  In retrospect I'm glad that my workflow relied more on naming conventions and tagging rather than hundreds or thousands of notebooks.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, tuulikki said:

Here to say that I still do not have a fix for screenshots with EN v10, the ONLY reason I have been using Legacy alongside v10.

When I attempt a screenshot with the v10 helper, using any of the three screenshot options at the bottom of the small helper window, as I click to take the shot, EN pops to the top of my active windows and the screenshot is taken of whatever is open in EN.

Yes, I have allowed EN v10 appropriate permissions. I've double checked multiple times.

Yes, I've tried downloading and reinstalling EN v10. Still have same problem.

I still have the same problem that I first wrote about in September 2021 (see screenshot below).

Escalated to support, who replied 

"Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out.

We can confirm there currently is a 2 device sync limit in place for Evernote Free users. This means you can use Evernote on two devices only. Please note that Evernote Web counts as a device.

To sync a device, just log into your Evernote account normally." 
(.....+ blah blah blah how to sync/unsync).

I note I've been a Premium user for years, now Pro, so I don't see why this would apply, never mind that it doesn't address my concern.

I don't give a <censored> re new UI, in-app notifications, AI-editing. I just want to be able to do my work without the tool I am using working against me.

(MacBook Pro, iOS v12.7.3, EN v10.77.3 and LEGACY)

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 9.52.03 PM.png

Something doesn't seem right about your description of what you get when you clip.  Many of us have downloaded the web clipper for Chrome or Firefox or whatever browser you happen to be using and it puts a little green elephant in your upper right browser.  In my case I have assigned my own key combo to activate the built in screenshot feature  and this is simple and works extremely well.  When I activate it I see a little crosshairs and I can capture anything in front of me by simply dragging it around.  Alternatively, if I want to do something fancier I can click the little green elephant in the upper right of my address bar and this opens up the webclipper which gives me more options (such as multiselect, simplified article etc).  Either way works very well .

image.png.e5a3ed5dc20eedd179ac3fb6cf7a4777.png

14 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

I Call BS!!! I use Legacy now seamlessly between iphone, ipad, desktop.  It's the reason I went Premium years ago

I concur with @fuchsfr, ever since they forced me to use the new Android app things got much worse (slower, unclickable attachments, etc...) when using EN on the phone & it even changed formatting in my notes in Legacy.

Edited by enfan-01
13 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

You should try Obsidian it cost $129.99 less per year and does everything Legacy does and more.

It does do things differently which is why It has not taken over EN yet.  It's like learning how to write macros in Excel or record a Cherry Keys macros (link Below) rather then not doing any programing at all.

https://content.cherry-world.com/fileadmin/media/Corporate/Software/CherryKeys_x64_1_0_7__1_.msi

But it you can learn a little markdown, it servers your needs and is free.

Evernote Version 10 IMHO is a little bit of everything but does nothing really well.  Its not a pure librarian any more, it not a task manager like Monday, it's not Chat GPT4.0.

Its a taste of everything with nothing done really well anymore.

So $70 dollars a year to a price hike of $130 a year.... No sorry I'll take my notes and my business elsewhere. 

I think that your characterization of EN as not doing anything really well is unfair.  I use EN as a contact manager, as a depositary of tens of thousands of my pdf and excel files and as the place where I keep all of my home and business statements for the last 15 years.  I search through these every day and find exactly what I need.  I have exported about 20,000 faxes into EN from Hellofax (a virtual fax service I use in my office).  I clip voraciously from the web and many other sources and collect them seamlessly in my EN .  I can find every little thing that I"ve ever clipped in this way.  I organize all of my many trips entirely in EN by naming, tagging, backlinking, indexing etc.  When I travel I no longer bother to bring travel books because I have everything I need from many travel sites all collated on EN and accessible on iphone, ipad etc.   I share work information and ideas with my employees through EN and post tasks and other things into notebooks that they access.  I use EN tasks and reminders in conjunction with my Gmail.  It's more than enough for my needs.  In short, along with some add-on programs that I pay for (Acrobat, Excel, Hellofax etc) I find that EN pretty much handles my entire personal and business needs in a very comprehensive fashion. Nonetheless, I do admit that all of this takes some effort and requires constantly molding it to your workflow.  The reason why I can find everything so seamlessly within EN is because I use rigorous naming, tagging and storing conventions that works well with the way my brain works.  Bottom line: I could use 10 different programs each one perfectly designed for its own things, or I could use EN which isn't perfect in any one thing but can easily be adapted to do all 10 quite adequately.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

response to @idoc

Thank you and lucky you! What version of EN are you on?

I don't understand what you mean by "lucky you".  It's not a matter of luck.  If you are using a modern version of windows,  the updated version of EN (10.77.3) and the proper extensions of the web clipper for the browser that you are using then you should have the exact same experience that I have.  I use this stuff on 3 different computers in 3 different places and they work the same way everywhere.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

You should try Obsidian it cost $129.99 less per year and does everything Legacy does and more.

It does do things differently which is why It has not taken over EN yet.  It's like learning how to write macros in Excel or record a Cherry Keys macros (link Below) rather then not doing any programing at all.

https://content.cherry-world.com/fileadmin/media/Corporate/Software/CherryKeys_x64_1_0_7__1_.msi

But it you can learn a little markdown, it servers your needs and is free.

Evernote Version 10 IMHO is a little bit of everything but does nothing really well.  Its not a pure librarian any more, it not a task manager like Monday, it's not Chat GPT4.0.

Its a taste of everything with nothing done really well anymore.

So $70 dollars a year to a price hike of $130 a year.... No sorry I'll take my notes and my business elsewhere. 

Hold on your saying you’re going to switch to obsidian - to save $1 per year? 

It has ‘everything Evernote has’? Mail in notes? Nope! Easy table management? Nope! Export options? Nope, easy to use - nope! OCR across devices - nope! Obsidian is great for some use cases but it is not an Evernote replacement and it most definitely does not do everything Evernote does. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

For me (the most important 2 words missing from most of this discussion), Legacy does not work, because I've learned to use and rely on backlinks in v. 10.

Once again, the blog post announcing the decommissioning of Legacy: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning. Once again, 2 particular points within it: (1) 1% of Evernote's users use Legacy; given the large number of users overall, that may still be "plenty" numerically, but not proportionally. (2) Consider the comments there about security and technical issues. Of course, if someone wanted to recreate Legacy Evernote (while magically not violating patents and copyrights), but with up-to-date security and syncing (but of course omitting any feature not already present in Evernote 6)--more power to them, Godspeed, maybe someone could set up a Go Fund Me for their startup costs.

• Like 1

response to @idoc

I wrote that because I am plagued with a whole slew of problems on V10 and I have to give up legacy now.

When I ask about an V10 issue here on the forum I get responses like "it doesn't work like that for me", or "I don't need it" or "it is just 13 more clicks, so it is easy".

I asked you about the version you use, because the problem with the "untitled" attachments appeared after I installed 10.77.3. I was trying to make sure that you are not on 10.76.2 or something.

If it isn't too much trouble, can you please tell me, what version you use that doesn't have the "untitled" attachments on export?

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Have you tested this successfully? I was on a flight the other day with no WiFi and I tried accessing some notes older than about a year and they would not load. I don't need offline access often but it's disappointing to be in that situation where a feature should "just work" and then it doesn't.

Back in the before v-10 days I traveled and was away from internet access much more and the legacy app was rock solid in that regard (except for note conflicts, those were a pain, but simply reading notes offline was always rock solid).

Yes.  It does work.  Before your trip you need to make sure that your notes are locally stored.  This is a somewhat annoying process where you need to keep the active screen of the ipad or iphone (or whatever you use) open as you download the data to your local source.  In my case I de-activated the feature that turns the screen off and I selected the notebooks that I wanted to download.  You will see a little icon which indicates which notebooks are stored locally.  You can google the specific instructions (it's very easy).  It does work.

4 minutes ago, idoc said:

Yes.  It does work.  Before your trip you need to make sure that your notes are locally stored.  This is a somewhat annoying process where you need to keep the active screen of the ipad or iphone (or whatever you use) open as you download the data to your local source.  In my case I de-activated the feature that turns the screen off and I selected the notebooks that I wanted to download.  You will see a little icon which indicates which notebooks are stored locally.  You can google the specific instructions (it's very easy).  It does work.

I'm talking about the desktop (macOS) app, as we're discussing this in the context of the legacy desktop app being sunsetted... Whether it's a bug or whatever it absolutely did not work for me the one time in recent memory that I needed it.

2 hours ago, idoc said:

In my case I store all of my 10,000 notes in 7 notebooks.  So I can quite easily create a backup enex file of each notebook and store it in Gdrive or Dropbox.  It takes me about half an hour to do all 7 and I do this every few months.  Some people have a workflow whereby they've created hundreds of notebooks and this would be quite cumbersome.  Backupery is probably ideal for those circumstances (I tried it but I was just as quick doing it myself with 7 notebooks).  In retrospect I'm glad that my workflow relied more on naming conventions and tagging rather than hundreds or thousands of notebooks.

Backup is different question -- I just 7Zip whole Evernote data-folder to NAS once a week; it takes somewhat tolerable 30-40 minutes for my 60Gb database.

I'm concerned with 'regular' usage -- I'd like to have EN downloaded everything to be sure any note is accessible without internet-connection.
'Legacy' EN has that 'sync' button - you press it, wait some (maybe long) time and after that all notes are available offline. Mobile versions had 'offline' options per notebook - you tick that option, wait some time and all notebook's notes are available offline.
'New' EN doesn't have any of that. It SEEMS that new v10 installation is downloading all notes in background, but I'm  still pretty skeptical about that (after dealing with first versions of v10 - it looked like something hacked together by bunch of inexperienced students).

19 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

100% correct (in my view of course 😉 ).

With Legacy I could be very productive, the product worked so well (for my use case at least, which is storing information), that I could use it without caring for the app itself.

With V10 I'm spending way too much time worrying how the issues that pop up might ruin my notes some way or another.

If you just need another note app (on the mac) there will soon be no reason to pay Evernote when a working and quickly evolving note app comes for free with Macos (Apple Notes).

People like me with high volumes and little time to fuss with the app itself will probably have to look elsewhere, V10 simply doesn't cut it (for me, that is).

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

They have removed the forum titled 'How to Install an Older Version of Evernote'.

I believe that after v10 release everyone concerned with 'new' EN had saved 'Legacy' installer, just in case :)

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, BLK Dragon said:

I believe that after v10 release everyone concerned with 'new' EN had saved 'Legacy' installer, just in case

sure, but once you install you will have to log in which probably will not be possible any more. The risk of logging out and not being able to log in again is too high to use Legacy after March 24th.

Em 23/02/2024 at 08:39, PinkElephant disse:

I agree that the app and its functioning has really been improved a lot during the last months.

The last paragraph is why I always ask users (especially legacy users) to explain WHY they want a specific feature. Best thing would always be to describe the use case.

Unfortunately only a tiny part will do it - most only insist it is essential, and start to rant.

There is a feature in the legacy that I miss in v10, which is the possibility of sorting the notes in the notes list by size, label, notebook and other criteria. In v10 it is only possible to sort by title, creation date and update date.

I use this to, for example, sort my notes by size and see which are the biggest (or smallest) notes. Which ones are close to my plan's 200mb limit and which ones aren't.

Do you know if there is a way to filter or sort notes by size in v10? @PinkElephant

• Like 1
5 hours ago, idoc said:

Something doesn't seem right about your description of what you get when you clip.  Many of us have downloaded the web clipper for Chrome or Firefox or whatever browser you happen to be using and it puts a little green elephant in your upper right browser.  In my case I have assigned my own key combo to activate the built in screenshot feature  and this is simple and works extremely well.  When I activate it I see a little crosshairs and I can capture anything in front of me by simply dragging it around.  Alternatively, if I want to do something fancier I can click the little green elephant in the upper right of my address bar and this opens up the webclipper which gives me more options (such as multiselect, simplified article etc).  Either way works very well .

image.png.e5a3ed5dc20eedd179ac3fb6cf7a4777.png

You're talking about EN web clipper chrome extension (in blue below). I'm talking about the helpers that live in the menu bar at the top of the screen on Macs, marked in red in screenshot below. The EN Legacy helper allows me to take multiple screenshots *in the same note*,  add text to the note, and save it. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 2.27.26 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, BLK Dragon said:

Backup is different question -- I just 7Zip whole Evernote data-folder to NAS once a week; it takes somewhat tolerable 30-40 minutes for my 60Gb database.

I'm concerned with 'regular' usage -- I'd like to have EN downloaded everything to be sure any note is accessible without internet-connection.
'Legacy' EN has that 'sync' button - you press it, wait some (maybe long) time and after that all notes are available offline. Mobile versions had 'offline' options per notebook - you tick that option, wait some time and all notebook's notes are available offline.
'New' EN doesn't have any of that. It SEEMS that new v10 installation is downloading all notes in background, but I'm  still pretty skeptical about that (after dealing with first versions of v10 - it looked like something hacked together by bunch of inexperienced students).

New Evernote doesn't need any of that. With the change in structure and sync last year, syncing is simply happening all the time. For me, if they had a button to click, the sync would have happened before I could click it. An easy demonstration is to have a note open in one device and edit it on another (desktop and phone; Web and desktop; etc.), and watch the changes appear while you type. I once had my phone die in the middle of editing a note, and when I fired up my Windows laptop, there were all my edits, down to the half-typed word I was writing when the phone died.

But that doesn't address the question of downloading a complete database. Short of opening every note you have, there's no way to confirm that, of course (on Legacy either). But, though it can take from an hour or two to a couple of days on a new installation, v. 10 is built to download the whole thing.

What was the approximate date when you dealt with "first versions of v. 10"? About 3 years ago, right? And it was a mess. I avoided it for a year or two, and then gradually began experimenting with the Web version. If you haven't seen a recent version of Evernote 10, please don't judge it by v. 10.1.

Well, the timing of my message a few pages ago was interesting, given that the FINAL NOTICE of Legacy's surmise followed shortly thereafter.

For anyone who used Legacy for CATEGORIZING, INDEXING, and TAGGING topics, I have a TIP.

With Legacy, you can easily select all TITLES in a list, which includes the other LIST column fields in your view setting, and copy them to Excel.

So that is what I did today in preparation for shutting down my use of Evernote, copying over 1800+ topics to an Excel file, which I store on Dropbox.

That Excel file will now serve as my INDEX for content that I develop elsewhere.

Legacy was SUPERB at doing LIST based work, putting things in the correct folders, tagging them in detail with 3-4 tags each, sorting the LIST by TAG to confirm that the categorization was making sense, etc.

You would be able to see sections of your master list of topics very easily and make sense of your topic picture.

The note-taking or content-capturing part was secondary for me - just grabbing raw material, sometimes.

This LIST MANAGEMENT functionality never worked with the same level of PRODUCTIVITY or SPEED in v10, and it still does not.

So, with Legacy's now-announced demise, it appears that the only option for me is to SPLIT these FUNCTIONS, with Excel doing the list management part and other applications handling the content creation, storage, publication, and backup part.

So topics will go in Excel, with 4 fields for TAGs and 1 field that CONCATENATES these into ONE FIELD.

Then I can use the Filter function on the CONCATENATED tags field and still see ALL topics with a certain tag, regardless of the column I have entered them into. (I use 4 tag levels from wide-angle to narrow focus).

Control F is almost as fast as typing in Search terms in the Search bar in EN Legacy. 

With Dropbox, I have the file available on multiple machines, and I can easily back it up elsewhere, daily, of course.

For content creation, refinement, and storage, I'll use a combination of Grammarly, Obsidian, and a custom-developed (private) WordPress site with all kinds of filtering features and Frontend creation and editing of Posts.

Using Excel as the MASTER INDEX will also make it unnecessary to duplicate the categorization and tagging in multiple places. In Obsidian, for example, I'll have the topics and their content, but not all the tagging along with it again. And BTW, Obsidian with a vault on Dropbox gives you a user experience that resembles the speed from Evernote Legacy.

By moving away from Evernote as my "content entry point and index management system", I am also improving my "data sovereignty" or ownership, as most of these tools and file locations are much more under MY CONTROL than they ever were in the Evernote world.

I was, unfortunately, a little too impulsive a few days ago to spend another 129 USD on one more year of EN Personal after sitting on pause with a Free account for a while, and assume that is a sunk cost - so lesson learned there...

Had I known that they were literally pulling the plug on Legacy a day later, I would have NEVER recommitted to this service.

BTW, it seems like IF YOU SELL services that you can buy on an ANNUAL basis, the TERMINATION date for LEGACY should be a YEAR OUT, so Feb/Mar 2025, not ONE MONTH from now.

Perhaps my tip here for copying index info out of Legacy and to Ecel as described here for others looking to ESCAPE from being "Stuck with Evernote".

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, BLK Dragon said:

If you are okay with HTML, put legacy back and use the export as multiple web pages.  Be careful with duplicate note titles.  First export to the target folder is fine, EN will add a number to the end of the folder containing attachments for a note.  If you export a second time to an existing target folder it will bork the attachments folder if a dup comes along.  Dups in a first export to a target folder are fine, not so much if in a second export to the same target folder,  45 characters of the note title becomes the file name. Those are the two warts I found back in Dec 21.  Very searchable folder based repoxdsitory is created.  FWIW.

image.png.89af77adf2bc787553aa19a7b588950a.png

1 hour ago, Net-config said:

Had I known that they were literally pulling the plug on Legacy a day later, I would have NEVER recommitted to this service.

BTW, it seems like IF YOU SELL services that you can buy on an ANNUAL basis, the TERMINATION date for LEGACY should be a YEAR OUT, so Feb/Mar 2025, not ONE MONTH from now.

I wonder if you could ask for a refund while explaining your case. It might take a few days or weeks to get a response, but it might be worth trying. 

1 hour ago, Net-config said:

don't they offer an unconditional refund within 60 days of renewal?

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What was the approximate date when you dealt with "first versions of v. 10"? About 3 years ago, right? And it was a mess. I avoided it for a year or two, and then gradually began experimenting with the Web version. If you haven't seen a recent version of Evernote 10, please don't judge it by v. 10.1.

Couple of weeks ago I couldn't open older notes in v10 for desktop when I was flying without internet access. v10 has never given me a warm and fuzzy feeling about offline capabilities. People who depend on offline functionality are right to be cautious, IMHO.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, idoc said:

I don't understand what you mean by "lucky you".  It's not a matter of luck.  If you are using a modern version of windows,  the updated version of EN (10.77.3) and the proper extensions of the web clipper for the browser that you are using then you should have the exact same experience that I have.  I use this stuff on 3 different computers in 3 different places and they work the same way everywhere.  

image.png.2ffa38d43b276ee823306734485d191b.png

image.png

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I wonder if you could ask for a refund while explaining your case. It might take a few days or weeks to get a response, but it might be worth trying. 

Anybody who subscribed since October 2020 did so well aware that running legacy was running deprecated, unsupported software. He knew, or he could have known.

Anybody who renewed, or subscribed fresh did so knowing that legacy was no official part of the package any more. 

I always wonder why after renewing at least 3 times since there is still mimimi about the fact that now is happening what could have happened all the time.

There are modern clients and a server infrastructure to be used - who decides against it may cancel his subscription effective at the next due date.

4 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Couple of weeks ago I couldn't open older notes in v10 for desktop when I was flying without internet access. v10 has never given me a warm and fuzzy feeling about offline capabilities. People who depend on offline functionality are right to be cautious, IMHO.

Yes, I faced the same issue.  Look up some of Pink's comments about this issue.  I followed his advice and downloaded all my relevant stuff to my local iphone and ipad.  I tested it before I left by switching into airplane mode or shutting down the internet connection (my ipad only works on wifi) and I could see that all the stuff I needed had downloaded locally.  It worked seamlessly throughout my trip even though I was in places with poor or no internet access.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

New Evernote doesn't need any of that. With the change in structure and sync last year, syncing is simply happening all the time. For me, if they had a button to click, the sync would have happened before I could click it. An easy demonstration is to have a note open in one device and edit it on another (desktop and phone; Web and desktop; etc.), and watch the changes appear while you type. I once had my phone die in the middle of editing a note, and when I fired up my Windows laptop, there were all my edits, down to the half-typed word I was writing when the phone died.

But that doesn't address the question of downloading a complete database. Short of opening every note you have, there's no way to confirm that, of course (on Legacy either). But, though it can take from an hour or two to a couple of days on a new installation, v. 10 is built to download the whole thing.

When someone tell me 'it's is simply happening' - it horrifies me, because that means something will suddenly break behind your back (without you noticing it).
And 'sync is simply happening' just deleted an 100Mb PDF from the existing note because 'upload limit is exceeded'. I didn't upload anything, just tried to open PDF from existing note (on a freshly installed v10, on separate laptop) - EN tried to open PDF several times, showed that 'upload limit is exceeded' warning and removed PDF from the note (saving bunch of partially downloaded PDF to local folder) -- this is the prime example of 'new improved Evernote' and that's why I postponed that upgrade for years. I don't need automagical sync, I need something I can actually control (and I definitely don't need my data deleted behind my back).

But it looks like v10 is gradually downloading whole database, so maybe it's usable. I give v10 this one last chance.

9 hours ago, tuulikki said:

You're talking about EN web clipper chrome extension (in blue below). I'm talking about the helpers that live in the menu bar at the top of the screen on Macs, marked in red in screenshot below. The EN Legacy helper allows me to take multiple screenshots *in the same note*,  add text to the note, and save it. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 2.27.26 PM.png

This is a good example of something that was better in Legacy.  I have adapted so fully to v10  that I barely remembered the previous way until you just mentioned it.  It's a little less intuitive now ie: you get multiple notes and you need to combine them.  Annotation also works in a little different manner (if I remember correctly).  Overall, it requires a short period of adaptation.  Another big advantage of Legacy was the ease of handling pdfs across notes ie: moving them , dragging and copying between notes etc.  There is no question that it is more cumbersome in v10.  As I adapted I found work-arounds to those things that became more cumbersome and  appreciated those things that improved.  If I had the option of using Legacy I would; but it's not productive to keep pining away for something that is dead and buried when there is an acceptable although imperfect alternative.

Pred 48 minútami BLK Dragon povedal:

Keď mi niekto povie, že sa to nednoducho deje - zdesí ma to, pretože do znameny, že sa nečto náhle zlomí za chrbtom ( bez toho, aby ste si toho všimli ).
A „ synchrónnosť sa jednoducho deje “ práve odstránila 100 MB PDF z existenciujúcej poznámky, pretože „ obmedzenie nahrávania je prekročné “'. Nič som neodovzdal, len som sa pokúsil otvoriť PDF z existenujúcej poznámky (na čestvo nainštalovanom v10, na samostatnom notebooku) - SK sa niekoľkokrát pokúsila otvoriť PDF, ukázala, že <TA 'limit odovzdania je prekročený “ vývoz a odstránený PDF z pozníkov (uloženie zväzu čestne stiahnutého PDF do lokálne priečinka) - na ukážkový program „ nového vylepoteš' proto som úto aktualizáciu odložil o niekoľko rokov. Nepotrebujem automatickú synchrón, poterujem niečko, čo môžem skutočne ovládať (určite nie) “t potebovať mojime skladaje vymazané za mojimi chrbtami).

Vyzerá to však, že v10 postupne sťahuje celú databázu, takže možno je použiteľná. Túto poslednú šancu dávam v10.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits

If you are on the free version and you have a lot of big notes, it might be worth to pay for one month of paid service and during that time you can test everything, uninstall, backup etc. ..

It's 12 eur / month

1 hour ago, idoc said:

I followed his advice and downloaded all my relevant stuff to my local iphone and ipad.

Again, I'm talking about the full Evernote client, for macOS, not Evernote for mobile... I'm not interested in downloading my entire database to mobile. I want to use it reliably on my laptop, like I could with Evernote legacy, while disconnected.

2 hours ago, ferol said:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits

If you are on the free version and you have a lot of big notes, it might be worth to pay for one month of paid service and during that time you can test everything, uninstall, backup etc. ..

It's 12 eur / month

I'm on premium, for quite some time.
Tried v10 several times, once a year or so and gave up on it.
Maybe this last attempt will be successful. If no, well, it's time to move on then. ENEX-export and import worked OK last time I tried.

19 minutes ago, BLK Dragon said:

Som na prémie, na nejaký čas.
Vyskúšal v10 niekoľkokrát, raz ročne a vzdal sa ho.
Možno bude tento posledný pokus úspešný. Ak nie, dobre, je čas ísť ďalej. Export a import spoločnosti ENEX fungovali naposledy, keď som to vyskúšal.

export and import work OK

On 2/23/2024 at 8:20 PM, Paul A. said:

Great. Could you take a screenshot of the legacy feature? It would help visualize how it could work better on v10.

Beyond that, do you use Twitter? Federico is active on Twitter and he's responded to many suggestions for feature improvements there. I saw someone say that BS thinks only a small percentage use tags so the more people that they see are requesting tag improvements, the better.

Here it is

Screenshot (28).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
13 hours ago, BLK Dragon said:

When someone tell me 'it's is simply happening' - it horrifies me, because that means something will suddenly break behind your back (without you noticing it).
And 'sync is simply happening' just deleted an 100Mb PDF from the existing note because 'upload limit is exceeded'. I didn't upload anything, just tried to open PDF from existing note (on a freshly installed v10, on separate laptop) - EN tried to open PDF several times, showed that 'upload limit is exceeded' warning and removed PDF from the note (saving bunch of partially downloaded PDF to local folder) -- this is the prime example of 'new improved Evernote' and that's why I postponed that upgrade for years. I don't need automagical sync, I need something I can actually control (and I definitely don't need my data deleted behind my back).

But it looks like v10 is gradually downloading whole database, so maybe it's usable. I give v10 this one last chance.

10 hours ago, BLK Dragon said:

I'm on premium, for quite some time.

I sympathize with the PDF problem. Premium's note size limit is 200 MB, so if there was another 100 MB in that note, that could have been a problem. Even if not, honestly I would probably download a PDF that large and then open it in Acrobat or whatever rather than try to work with it inside Evernote. Just my 2 cents.

As for "if I click a button I control it" ... so something could break if it's running all the time, but clicking the button could never fail? It's the same infrastructure either way. Not wanting to argue indefinitely; I've just never understood the "I need to click to be sure it's working argument." IAC, in v. 10 you can use Ctrl+R to force a sync--same thing, just no button.

13 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Again, I'm talking about the full Evernote client, for macOS, not Evernote for mobile... I'm not interested in downloading my entire database to mobile. I want to use it reliably on my laptop, like I could with Evernote legacy, while disconnected.

Can't imagine why you couldn't do that.  If I can download an entire notebook into an ipad and an iphone why wouldn't you able to do that on a mac?  I'm 99% sure that there are a lot of posts in which this was mentioned and they had no issues with it.  There were, however, a few tricks that made it easier eg: disabling screen saving.

26 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

DUDE you should really sit down and not comment.  Unless of course you work for EN and this is the cooperate policy.

I have called, and texted an number of times and was told, LEGACY is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.  That last statement was made prior to me signing up for another year.

Click another post for PE

Just so you know: there must have been 1000 threads and conversations about Legacy going away.  We have been warned time and time and time and time again on this forum.  Pink actually is the poster boy for rattling the trees and sounding the alarm.  Based on his warnings I upgraded 3 computers to win 10, updated to v10 and started to wean myself away from Legacy 6-8 months ago.  I can't imagine that EN corporate possibly told you anything different.  In fact, if you even googled "Legacy Evernote" prior to 2 days ago you would have seen countless threads about this.  Yes, we all loved it and we wish it weren't so but it's over and time to move on and stop talking about it.  Nobody on this forum works for EN and many users here have tirelessly donated their precious time and effort to help us move on to the next steps.  I personally get anxious when I see rude comments directed against our experts because their help has been INVALUABLE to me and to thousands of others who read their posts.  I have no idea why they expend so much of their obviously valuable time, but thanks to them this forum fills in all the gaps you would otherwise never figure out using the official help features that EN provides.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I sympathize with the PDF problem. Premium's note size limit is 200 MB, so if there was another 100 MB in that note, that could have been a problem. Even if not, honestly I would probably download a PDF that large and then open it in Acrobat or whatever rather than try to work with it inside Evernote. Just my 2 cents.

As for "if I click a button I control it" ... so something could break if it's running all the time, but clicking the button could never fail? It's the same infrastructure either way. Not wanting to argue indefinitely; I've just never understood the "I need to click to be sure it's working argument." IAC, in v. 10 you can use Ctrl+R to force a sync--same thing, just no button.

This brings up an interesting point.  Recently I have had a lot of problems with my Acrobat pdf files.  Acrobat used to work flawlessly for me even though I'm using a very old version ("X").  It hasn't been too long since I upgraded my computers to win 10 and to EN v10 and I reloaded the old Acrobat disc.  However, I started to notice problems that I had never seen in 10 years ie: pdfs suddenly closing down by themselves; not being able to conduct a search within a pdf; a pdf file getting corrupted etc.  Most of these problems are solved by going to Ctrl-alt-del and shutting down Acrobat and then re-opening.  Recently the problem has gotten so bad that I can rely on seeing it almost on a daily basis.  I'm starting to wonder it it has something to do with the fact that I open all of my pdfs from EN and some of them are very large (2000 pages).  I have downloaded some of them onto my desktop and will try to compare what happens when I work from there and not open from within EN.  It really is becoming a scourge and I never suspected that perhaps EN v10 could be the culprit.

28 minutes ago, idoc said:

Len aby ste vedeli: muselo dôjsť k 1000 vláknam a rozhovorom o odchode Legacy.  Na tomto fóre sme boli opakovane varovaní.  Pink je vlastne chlapec s plagátmi, ktorý chrapľal stromami a znel poplach.  Na základe jeho upozornení som inovoval 3 počítače, aby som vyhral 10, aktualizoval som ich na v10 a začal som sa odstavovať od Legacy pred 6-8 mesiacmi.  Neviem si predstaviť, že by vám spoločnosť EN mohla povedať niečo iné.  V skutočnosti, ak by ste pred 2 dňami dokonca googlovali „Legacy Evernote“, videli by ste o tom nespočetné množstvo vlákien.  Áno, všetci sme to milovali a želáme si, aby to tak nebolo, ale je čas ísť ďalej a prestať o tom hovoriť.  Nikto na tomto fóre nepracuje pre EN a mnohí používatelia tu neúnavne venovali svoj drahocenný čas a úsilie, aby nám pomohli prejsť k ďalším krokom.  Osobne sa obávam, keď vidím hrubé komentáre namierené proti našim odborníkom, pretože ich pomoc bola pre mňa a pre tisíce ďalších, ktorí čítali ich príspevky, NEVYHODNITEĽNÁ.  Neviem, prečo trávia toľko svojho očividne cenného času, ale vďaka nim toto fórum zapĺňa všetky medzery, ktoré by ste inak nikdy nezistili pomocou funkcií oficiálnej pomoci, ktoré poskytuje EN.

I help others because it will come back to me next time... and many people have helped me here... that's what a user forum is simply about

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

DUDE you should really sit down and not comment.  Unless of course you work for EN and this is the cooperate policy.

I have called, and texted an number of times and was told, LEGACY is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.  That last statement was made prior to me signing up for another year.

Click another post for PE

You still have time to debate this ?

Good, you already learned there is no need to hurry. You simply download v10, all your notes are there and you can start right away. It will run a bit slow while it reorganizes things on your computer, but after a week or so (depending on your database size) this will settle down, and you are fully operational.

So, take it easy. 

• Level 5

@fuchsfr You started commenting on mine, and in a very negative way. I will continue to reflect on your positions in a constructive way.

I do not question removing legacy has a negative impact on some users. What is obvious is that removing it has a positive impact for all users (for those who stick with EN, and these are those who count, watched from the companies perspective).

Your use cases are not a protected species. You invented them, now you tell V10 doesn't fit in, and you need to re-invent. So go ahead. You could find some ideas in the forum - instead you decide to drive discussions here that lead nowhere.

There is a function in forum settings to ignore other users. You don't need to listen, if you don't want to. You learn nothing that way, but that's your personal decision.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

One month? You have had YEARS lol, years! One month! What the…..

I don't know.  If one were to be using Legacy and signed up for another yar of Premium or whatever two months ago and was told a few a days ago that Legacy was kaput that could be a case for a refund.  Sure Legacy was known to be on it's last legs but there was no date certain.  Based upon the banner messages reported, etal, it would seem BS knew who was legacy and could have advised.  If they knew.  Just saying.

• Level 5

Just sayin ...

• that legacy was deprecated the moment v10 was launched, 42 months ago,
  • that the above cited answer from support does not tell that legacy will be around for a period X - it says the opposite (can't tell anything), just mentioning that there will be a prior announcement,
  • that the notifications started mid of last year, reminding legacy users of running an unsupported old software,
  • that now there is a final date, with 4 weeks of lead.

This is enough time for everything, and if it is not enough because a user wants more time, anybody can simply download v10, have full access to the notes and continue to adapt his use cases or find a better solution.

• Level 5*

Yeah, nothing to do with the obviousness of Legacy sunsetting, more BS' handling of the date certain.  You know I left a ways back, sans histrionics.

More to do with a company perhaps taking money from a user knowing that the client they use (and appear to only want to use after 3 years) is going away soon.  Could have been handled better by BS in my view, like last August.  Folks would could have been fully informed as to an investment in premium Legacy usage.  That's all, just a voice in the wilderness.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Nobody could subscribe for the use of legacy since 3 years now. "Subscribing to use legacy" is a crooked view.

EN did offer to subscribe for the current service, which is based on v10 since more than 3 years.

They allowed unsupported old clients to still sync with the server, and they kept the outdated server infrastructure usable, without any commitment for a certain period. But this was tolerating the use, not promoting or selling it.

Who believed that legacy would just go on trapped himself in wishful thinking. All signs pointed into another direction. The legacy clients were an obvious dead end, abandoned code and all.

Coming now and telling "they should have told me earlier" is ridiculous. Who was dragging his feet with v10 is now brought to speed.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

People paid money to use EN with Legacy.  Ain't saying it was bright or not, but it was what it was. 

Crooked.  Really?  Just my opinion, not a righteous statement of fact. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

They allowed unsupported old clients to still sync with the server, and they kept the outdated server infrastructure usable, without any commitment for a certain period. But this was tolerating the use, not promoting or selling it.

That's was a good one. If they had forced people to use V10 when it came out Evernote would probably not exist today. This sorry excuse for an app (my view only) would never have handled all active Evernote users. Even in Summer 23 basic sync still didn't work properly, I seem to remember a post by Federico stating that they finally fixed sync, that was three years after V10 came out.

So now targeting users who didn't have their pink glasses on and preferred to use a perfectly working product (Legacy itself had quite a share of bugs over time but v7.14 was rock solid - in my view of course) is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

That note contained only one PDF - that was sole purpose of that note :) 

There is a number of such notes with large PDFs attached and I can't remember any problems with opening them from EN, I do that every day (with a smaller PDFs typically).
BTW v10 is still doesn't open attached file with double-click or right-click menu - you have to open it in internal viewer and from there you can click-click-click open file (image for example) with app you need. Usability my a$$.

Yes I could store PDFs elsewhere. But that's the point of using EN - to have many notes/PDFs in one place, tagged and searchable.

Also I know about 'hidden' refresh/reload commands in v10 - tried to used them on macbook at work - and they seemed to do nothing. So I prefer to have 'sync' button and sync (or NOT sync) when needed.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, Feitz said:

… Even in Summer 23 basic sync still didn't work properly, I seem to remember a post by Federico stating that they finally fixed sync, ….

…. says a user who following his own words sticked with legacy. In other words: Hearsay, combined with prejudice.

Sync in v10 was plagued by the same basic illness as legacy, always trying to sync the whole note. Sync conflicts, note duplication, typical for that sort of sync.

This was fixed based on code already developed by the former team (honor to whom honor deserves). Since then EN is running on a modern, granular sync (RTE).

This new sync made it necessary to move everything to a new data structure. Which was the last nail into legacy’s coffin.

Somebody who stood by while it happened can’t know. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sync in v10 was plagued by the same basic illness as legacy, always trying to sync the whole note. Sync conflicts, note duplication, typical for that sort of sync.

... in > 10 years of heavily using such type of syncing, I got a handful probs like this.

This was fixed based on code already developed by the former team (honor to whom honor deserves). Since then EN is running on a modern, granular sync (RTE).

... that leads to hundreds of problems whilst moving moving tags around and using API services.

On example:

• I use Receips that search for notes with assigned tags like ">>1", ">>2", ">>w" and ">>m". Having found them, their Reminder date will be set to 1 day, 2 days, a week or month in counted from today before the tags are removed.

• With Legacy no problem:
    • After syncing all notes are free to be worked on on server site.
    • NO problem seen ever. After the next sync (some minutes later) all affected notes have been adjusted correct.

• With RTE: Problems nearly all the time ...
    • because every note/tag is tried to be synced immediately which triggers the Receipe to work along with the note remains open too long it it's "RTE room"
    • Execution is broken, an error is mailed to me, Receip is paused for 1,2,5,10,60 minutes...
    • If I assign such a tag to a bundle of notes (to procrastinate ToDos 😉), the problem escalates because RTE syncs at any time in random sequence whereas the clients keep more notes open in RTE rooms -> unusable...

I need such a Receipe because (even in Legacy) it was not possible to change Reminder dates for a bundle of notes in one operation (have to go to each note separately to adopt it). But changing a Reminder date in Legacy is easy: Just type in the date in field. With EN10 you have to use a boring date picker dialog.

This new sync made it necessary to move everything to a new data structure. Which was the last nail into legacy’s coffin.

... and a coffin to service providers like Filterize and many users who rely on backgound workflows that are based on the API. The new sync makes it necesssary to adapt the API! But is not done so far...

Somebody who stood by while it happened can’t know.

But somebody who stook bd while all that was described/discussed/complained here and sent to support can know!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

because every note/tag is tried to be synced immediately which triggers the Receipe to work along with the note remains open too long it it's "RTE room"

Would pausing internet have any impact on this?  Or would RTE have the same view of the data when reconnecting?

9 hours ago, CalS said:

I don't know.  If one were to be using Legacy and signed up for another yar of Premium or whatever two months ago and was told a few a days ago that Legacy was kaput that could be a case for a refund.  Sure Legacy was known to be on it's last legs but there was no date certain.  Based upon the banner messages reported, etal, it would seem BS knew who was legacy and could have advised.  If they knew.  Just saying.

I’ve no sympathy if I’m honest. Any person paying hard earned money for software they know is unsupported and could close at ANY moment either has more money than I do and don’t see that as a worry or needs their spending supervised. 

1 minute ago, CalS said:

Would pausing internet have any impact on this?  Or would RTE have the same view of the data when reconnecting?

This is not possible because I have to navigate to other notes in the App and wait some (unpredictable in my experience) time to allow the app to close the RTE rooms. Because the RTE rooms are open on server site (they control access to the notes around clients and API access requests), pausing the internet is not a solution.

Maybe at least one of the following might help

• EN should offer a sync mode that collects necessary syncs to explicit times ("sync button") of course possible with RTE. But for the price of not really instant sync of each note change to all devices - but users with real workflows to handle notes normally do not need such immediate syncs. We should have the choice.
  • EN should enhance their API in any way to handle RTE rooms ([silent} wait for close, ...)
  • Level 5*

Okay. Does that mean when someone has been adding and editing off line, performing tasks like you’re doing, they return to chaos?  That would be a PITA. 

• Like 1