New UI - Experiences Bad and Good

So not wanting to be mean, but so NOT impressed with the new UI.  

I can barely discern the difference in the Before and After shots.  

What I do see scares me: in the After shots is looks as though there are fewer menu options in a note that I use ALL the time: bullets; highlights; and underlines... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, Rona said:

So not wanting to be mean, but so NOT impressed with the new UI.  

I can barely discern the difference in the Before and After shots.  

What I do see scares me: in the After shots is looks as though there are fewer menu options in a note that I use ALL the time: bullets; highlights; and underlines... 

Go ahead, be mean, they've earned it. 😁 What seems like fewer menu options might just be the result of things being padded with extra space, so that more menu options scroll off the screen to the right.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, nobleberry said:

Oh no...what a worse update. 

I am using Evernote in darkmode and the background in notes is now black instead of grey which was so much easier to read and much more eye friendly. So I am using a note taking app that makes it harder to read my notes...annoying.

Also the lines seperating spaces are thiner now which makes it look like one huge display. I miss the clear and bold seperation for each area.

And why are links in purple now? They were green before which I always liked because it is the evernote colour.

I am a paying customer for years, almost a decade. But if they keep this design (which I think they will) I will cancel my premium and switch to another app. Lucky I am on the monthly plan so I can leave anytime without wasting money.

I agree about the dark theme. When I use Evernote for extended periods of time, I find myself adjusting my monitor's contrast settings due to the pure black background. The side notes list also has a problem: the selected note is difficult to distinguish due to the extremely low contrast and also because there is no selection border. Additionally, the note list font looks blurry, which could be an anti-aliasing problem. Strangely enough, the note list  font size has also been reduced, despite being one line of text in the table row.

Although we can criticize the previous Evernote developers on several aspects, their GUI design was very ergonomic. It remains a mystery to me why current developers replaced the existing proven themes instead of simply adding two new ones (for whatever obscure marketing reason).

• Like 8

If there's been a lot of work behind the scenes on the back end, a case could be made for an unnecessary, superficial UI refresh in order to emphasize that the product has changed and invite people to re-evaluate the more substantial, less visible changes. Sadly, other than RTE (real-time editing), which is interesting but poorly done -- notes sometimes painfully slow to update, stale search results, no documentation that I can find on exactly how users are made aware of editing conflicts for the async part of RTE -- there have been no substantial updates to the back-end, or increases in overall quality, to justify unneeded or even counter-productive changes to the UI.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, nobleberry said:

Also the lines seperating spaces are thiner now which makes it look like one huge display. I miss the clear and bold seperation for each area.

I just updated to v. 10.75.1 and got switched to the new UI, without requesting or being asked about it. So it's out of beta and into make-them-use-it-ah-ha-ha-ha-ha mode? It's exactly as I feared, and as you say. Not unreadable, but far from easily read and used, as it used to be. Contrast exists in the real world for a reason; or human beings are able to see and respond to contrast for a reason. Deleting it from a UI for the sake of -- what? fashion? -- only makes a program harder to work with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

I believe I just found the most anti-productive element in the new UI. In notes, as part of the program to eliminate contrast, divider lines are now practically invisible. I think they may be thinner, and their color is now almost indistinguishable from the background (of course this clip appears much larger than it does in Evernote):

image.png.d023f6cc4e21f680ad97a5ee30aaca8f.png

Of course, the purpose of a divider line is to mark off one section of a note from another. If the divider line is invisible, it doesn't mark anything. Frankly, this change feels almost aggressively hostile to users, as if intended to cause them discomfort and frustration. For comparison, here's the same thing in the old UI; I think the difference is obvious:

image.png.7caa97d734433b06b69bf86e598f2c03.png

• Like 9
50 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I believe I just found the most anti-productive element in the new UI. In notes, as part of the program to eliminate contrast, divider lines are now practically invisible. I think they may be thinner, and their color is now almost indistinguishable from the background (of course this clip appears much larger than it does in Evernote):

image.png.d023f6cc4e21f680ad97a5ee30aaca8f.png

Of course, the purpose of a divider line is to mark off one section of a note from another. If the divider line is invisible, it doesn't mark anything. Frankly, this change feels almost aggressively hostile to users, as if intended to cause them discomfort and frustration. For comparison, here's the same thing in the old UI; I think the difference is obvious:

image.png.7caa97d734433b06b69bf86e598f2c03.png

"... Evernote's updated user interface includes a beautiful and simplified design, enhanced readability, and a rejuvenated visual identity with a modern color palette and vibrant patterns..." ???  https://evernote.com/blog/new-ui-2024

• Haha 6

I concur with almost all of the, primarily negative, comments so far. What on earth were they thinking? It almost feels like Evernote are deliberately doing all they can to drive away the incredibly patient and loyal users who haven't yet chose to simply move to a different product / service. 

Having resolutely supported Evernote through months of issues and problems, the reward was a disproportionately expensive price plan increase. And now this 😖.

• Bland creative UI design (at very least, let the user choose for the sidebar to be dark / the notes to be white, as it was previously)

• Far too much wasted space 

• My fonts are now utterly wrecked... All notes were set to 'Normal text', 'Sans Serif', '16' and were a perfectly usable font size. After this awful UI update, my notes are now a random mix of size 15 & 16, both of which are now far too big.

Having had to go through all of the notes to set / reset font sizes when I moved from the legacy app, I am most definitely not going to go through that again. I'd sooner put that time, effort & energy into finding a replacement.

Evernote... Please read and action the feedback in the thread. Fast.

• Like 9
On 1/15/2024 at 4:21 AM, Abdrey said:

Terrible interface after updating to version 10.71.2.! Huge fields have appeared in all interface elements and now there is much less useful space! Why these huge empty white spaces??? A lot of useful screen space is wasted! Bring everything back the way it was before!!!

Evernote.jpg

I agree! While the extra space is aesthetically pleasing, it's not functional. I should be able to condense so more fits on the page!

• Like 7
  • Level 5

Here, courtesy of @agsteele in a DM, is the permanent address for the feedback form for the new UI: https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback. You can come back to it to offer further thoughts as often as you want.

IMHO, "art for art's sake" is an excellent principle--in matters purely artistic. In the design of things meant to be useful, from buildings to clothes to software, it has to be adapted to the purposes of the item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Like many of you, I have been a many-times-daily user of Evernote for well over 10 years. I'm just seeing the new UI changes on Mac this morning. I appreciate any functionality improvements that might be happening (e.g., improving sync of a note that's accessed by multiple accounts using multiple devices). But I find the aesthetic UI changes jarring and random. Changing the font we've become comfortable with and used to? Making some of the buttons blue/purple? And the strange fade in the background from super light yellow to super light purple that appears to be locked in, can't I just change it to a shade of gray? I guess I'm not surprised that the new owners are changing some of these things, but to me these don't feel like improvements, just subjective changes for reasons that I can't see.

• Like 1
On 1/15/2024 at 10:08 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Hey folks! Thank you all very much for your feedback!

We only wanted to enable the new UI for those who opted in to test it, but mistakenly enabled it for many more users. Apologies, we've now reverted that and you should see the old version unless you opted in. We'll use feedback from the beta testers to improve it.

If you want to keep exploring the new UI, you can put your email address here (needs to be the one linked to your Evernote account): https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/to/tvTldYzV#source=forum

It's great to hear that we can go back!!! But it doesn't seem to be going back for me (I closed and relaunched Evernote, still the same new interface). If I accidentally opted in how do I opt out?

I'm with most others there, this new interface is a step backwards. Honestly so may things that could be improved and I don't feel the interface was at all an issue. However, the one thing I would like is more user configurable options for the user interfaces appearance:-)

• Level 5
26 minutes ago, Bithead said:

It's great to hear that we can go back!!! But it doesn't seem to be going back for me (I closed and relaunched Evernote, still the same new interface). If I accidentally opted in how do I opt out?

I'm with most others there, this new interface is a step backwards. Honestly so may things that could be improved and I don't feel the interface was at all an issue. However, the one thing I would like is more user configurable options for the user interfaces appearance:-)

That notice from Federico was almost a month ago. More recent reports are that they are now moving beyond beta testing to giving the new UI to (inflicting the new UI on) more general users to get their responses. And from that there is no going  back. The same thing happened to me. FWIW, the Web client has not gotten the new UI for me. Here's the form for giving your feedback, which I think those of us who are getting the UI change should definitely use: https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback.

• Like 2
On 2/9/2024 at 1:39 PM, eric99 said:

"... Evernote's updated user interface includes a beautiful and simplified design, enhanced readability, and a rejuvenated visual identity with a modern color palette and vibrant patterns..." ???  https://evernote.com/blog/new-ui-2024

I missed that blog entry, just read it. In the Before and After, I don't see a single After screencap that looks better than the Before screencap, just different and in some aspects less friendly (lack of contrast, too much whitespace, etc.). I guess we're all supposed to have massive, power-hungry monitors with curved corners so we can afford all that whitespace.

• Like 6
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, simonle said:

From the screenshots I've seen, the new UI looks modern and easy-to--use. I'm really looking forward to testing the new layout. 😄

It's all a matter of opinion and preference, of course. The contrast between text and background has been improved considerably since the first beta releases I believe. But the lack of visual distinction between the navigation area on the left and the note list in the middle is a problem. Frankly (and again, it's all opinion and preference) it just looks boring and dull to me.

Here's a thought I've had for awhile: I live in the U.S., in the metro Atlanta region. Over the last several years the architectural trend has been to build new houses that are just white with black trim, and to repaint older houses to the same. No colors, except maybe on the doors. My wife and I both find this absurdly bland, sometimes (depending on the house) even ugly. I fully expect that 20 years from now, people buying those houses will insist on lowering their offering prices because they're going to have to pay to have them repainted.

The Evernote UI now looks a lot like one of those black-and-white houses, and I wonder if it's the same aesthetic at work. @simonle, is that what you mean by "modern"--flat, with reduced use of color? (Although Evernote does now have some redone colors for buttons and links that I actually find quite striking and appealing.) I'm curious.

• Like 2

I probably won't even comment on this anymore. I wrote here a long time ago I think clear constructive criticism and ideas for a new look. Occasionally I'll check out the new interface on my archive account, where I've requested a beta version. And thus, I don't see even one single thing from the list I posted here that has been incorporated. Just a little better contrast... But from a user point of view other ideas nothing...

I already consider it a waste of time to even comment and give feedback to someone from the Evernote team. They're doing it their way anyway.... or so it seems to me. 

UPDATE 24-03-02
In the meantime, a few points from my comments have already been incorporated. So I'm changing my mind and I believe it made sense....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I recently got "upgraded" to the new look on my Mac, and I have to say that after a week or so I am not impressed.  I can only echo the comments of others. It's just harder on the eyes.  Yes, I have 71 year old eyes, and perhaps 50 years ago, I would have felt differently about the new look. Or not.  

In my experience, once a company has spent time and money redesigning something, they almost never go backwards, no matter what the reaction of the user base is. So I suspect we are stuck with this until they decide to do another refresh in a few years and moving yet again another direction. Sigh....

• Like 2
On 2/4/2024 at 5:33 PM, JCummings said:

Version 10.68.3 on Windows 11:

• The Windows title bar is missing (tried toggling full screen but no luck)
  • Tabs not indented correctly in sidebar (even though this version was supposed to fix that)

Anyone else seeing this?  Everything seems to work ok on Windows 10.

I can confirm this behavior "Windows title bar is missing", but also using Windows 10

Today I tried the new ui. Not impressed at all. Usability is a priority over design, and this update changes that priority.  this forum has the same issue, but with scaling it gets better. Now, if I scale up the webpage I get less usable space, so it's a no go. 

The main issue I had was readability of the sidelines. The notes, having more font options, work perfectly. 

For all UI developers, if you have a new vision, go for it, but remember to also add configuration options to adjust for USER PREFERENCES. I mean, the U in UI is pretty important. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, bwydoogh said:

So if they are working on a "New UI" ... The white menu bar on Windows clients is ugly. Why didn't they fix it? Is this software state-of-the-art? 😞

Schermafbeelding 2024-02-10 142135-2.png

Apparently, yes: ugly is state of the art.

• Like 1

I was looking through the configuration options in the web version and I noticed something funny. Both offered options feature high contrast themes, but the result doesn't look as what it's offered at all. 

I find the configuration options much more desirable than the end result. You have to do a great effort to notice that Masks is the selected option. 

image.thumb.png.41113731ae79bb8dbd5f05da05aa5e0a.png

• Thanks 1

Not trying to be disrespectful, but as a paying customer for over 12 years, this new interface is horrendous. The light mode is completely washed out and the dark mode is a black hole. I continued using EN because I loved the interface experience versus the others, but now it's much worse. Both modes are hard to see and navigate. I was ok with the price hike until this disaster. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, carlosgm said:

I just downloaded the new version of evernote for windows (10.76.2) and it comes with the new user interface.

Does anyone know if there is a way to return to the old design?

no way...  must use new...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I understand that this blank space is technically convenient for maintaining cross-device functionality, but it obviously results in a very poor user experience for Windows application users, wasting part of the screen display space. I hope that the UI of the PC version can be optimized and adjusted as soon as possible.

bad ui.png

• Like 1

The new version 10.76.2 has changed my checkbox colour to a purple-blue in the dark interface, while my iOS version remains green as I am used to.

There appears to be no way to change the checkbox colour at all.

I hate it when the devs summarily force changes without offering the option to revert to my preference.

The same thing happened with the note view, which in the new version defaulted to "optimised" (which I despise); I had to hunt through settings to get my notes view back to where they were before the 'upgrade'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 1/16/2024 at 10:45 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

"Infusing modernity" (I can't speak to the 4th one on future iteration), the notion that the "cohesive" design creates an experience that "feels as precise and fluid as the technology that powers it" is again mistaken. Fluid washes things away or lets them swirl around; it is the opposite of precise

Thank you, Dave, great analysis.

And thanks for the tips in this thread about logging out and back in – did NOT work. I was going to cancel my subscription but sadly there's nothing much out there that offers easy image editing and offline operations.

I'm a professional designer who has to justify every element of my work. And believe me – design is all about communication. Even in Fashion, there are rules ... but to break rules in Fashion is fun and refreshing. The same goes for website design. Yes, we want to be entertained.

But with Evernote – the name already has something rather conservative in it – I expect to have a device that works. For my eyes. Not against them.

Francesco Patarnello, the CEO of Evernote may confuse this note-taking device with Milan Fashion Week. Hire a new designer for every new season and change the look every year like as if it's an iPod Mini. Next up, a green sidebar?

I'm afraid of things to come.

• Like 7

Yay, Green is the new Black 🍀 Lucky us. What was declared to be "intrusive" before is now replaced by a truly incredible Hulk in action. Meet the new horizontal blotch Lego – you'll never forget what "plus" actually stands for.

What they mean by "enhancing focus" is that some users could not find a way to create a new note and those visually impaired folks need ... assistance. Google's and Slack's UX designers learned a lot about those buttons – why not Evernote?

image.png.46362e0bb3faeecbc618ce992b1e186a.png

ScreenShot2024-02-16at17_42_08.png.38b315c95f5dde2c6c8844a49c1c4312.png

• Like 2

I am use Evernote for publish my note in social, actually I am write notes about new trending an growing companies so I am also add companies link in my note but in now day I insert company link with company name but when I publish the note, so note viewer tell me company links is not working. 
Any solution here  image.thumb.png.1d6f676770134802ec764749882dd86f.png

• Like 1

an evernote image bug 10.76.2 .

images appear to be layered out to the entire page instead of the original image size  , making it impossible to put 2 images horizontally , very weird bug  , the image on web is adjusting to the screen leaving a lot of 'white space' .  

this bug is part of the most recent update evernote 10.76.2 . the prior versions do not have this image 'white space' issue 

This also make it difficult to enlarge or make smaller an image because of the 'whitespace' 

please fix this , this is a disaster 

• Like 2

It doesn't work well on mobile.

Earlier you could put several pics on the same row (on EN desktop/web), and on EN mobile they got displayed nicely under each other.

• Like 2

why would I put images in tables ? why should my image have such 'white space' and stretch all over the screen . it looks ridiculous , I want some images to be smaller than others as well , and adjusting image size is impossible now . also in some notes I have 50 images , so i should create 50 tables to do a 'work around' on this ? I have never seen this image issue in any note taking software 

this needs to be fixed ASAP 

• Like 4

Is it just me?

On my Mac, the far left pane with the notebooks and the pane in the middle below the notes have a slightly different colored gray. The gray in the middle pane appears slightly warmer (values in Hex RGBA):

• Left: 0xF0F0F0FF
  • Middle: 0xF6F5EFFF

Ideally, you'd have a dark gray pane at the left a medium gray pane in the middle, and then your note would be on white on the right.

So the Evernote designer tries to "distinguish" the far left pane and the middle pane by a mere subtlety. Frankly, it looks like a mistake. It looks weird.

image.png.e69f938dbab4de4a65919beb40bcc3ab.png

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mypointofview said:

Som to len ja?

Na mojom Macu má úplne ľavý panel s poznámkovými blokmi a panel v strede pod poznámkami trochu inú farbu sivej. Sivá v strednom paneli sa javí mierne teplejšia (hodnoty v Hex RGBA):

• Vľavo : 0xF0F0F0FF
  • Stred : 0xF6F5EFFF

V ideálnom prípade by ste mali tmavosivú tabuľu vľavo, stredne sivú tabuľu v strede a potom by vaša poznámka bola na bielom na pravej strane.

Dizajnér Evernote sa teda snaží „rozlíšiť“ krajnú ľavú tabuľu a strednú tabuľu jednoduchou jemnosťou. Úprimne povedané, vyzerá to ako omyl. Vyzerá to zvláštne.

It's true. The designer was playing with colours. He didn't just leave it to the grey sections... that's bullshit

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, mypointofview said:

Is it just me?

On my Mac, the far left pane with the notebooks and the pane in the middle below the notes have a slightly different colored gray. The gray in the middle pane appears slightly warmer (values in Hex RGBA):

Ideally, you'd have a dark gray pane at the left a medium gray pane in the middle, and then your note would be on white on the right.

So the Evernote designer tries to "distinguish" the far left pane and the middle pane by a mere subtlety. Frankly, it looks like a mistake. It looks weird.

No, I dislike it too.  I have no idea what they were trying for in changing the background colors other than making it worse.  Another user referred to the color of the yellowish pane as yellow snow.  That should be the official name.  I wish they would keep the prior scheme as a user option.  Most apps when introducing a new color scheme will leave the prior one as an option.

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Most apps when introducing a new color scheme will leave the prior one as an option.

yes, especially if the previous scheme was proven and well accepted by the community!

• Like 5

I was really liking the old look. It could have been improved and fine tuned, but I think now we just have change for change's sake. IMO, it's not better, it's just different (and arguably worse as we see in this thread).

Related to UI -- the recent change to allow centering an image broke existing useful functionality and then has a weird UI resizing behavior as well: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/150268-10762-added-alignment-options-for-images-within-a-note).

The AI Search implementation made the search box "jump": https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148204-search-field-is-moving-it-is-not-good/

The AI Cleanup button takes up prime real-estate on the tool bar.

Small things individually, but collectively I'm not really enjoying the direction the UX is taking overall.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Doministry said:

Hello! Why the new update is not available on my Surface Go?

Have you tried downloading it from your app store?  What version do you have?

• Level 5
On 2/18/2024 at 1:26 AM, mypointofview said:

Is it just me?

Yes, I noticed this in the Windows desktop app too. Not impressive--but an implicit acknowledgement that contrast among the UI elements is in fact necessary, not a distraction. I believe one user described the middle pane's background as "yellow snow."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Mike P said:

When you expand a note using the icon at the top left of the note preview you get a large gray band above the note. Why?

image.png.8829ea70b712bd7c5d8576b8e49fdff1.png

I hope, that is space for future TABS support 😅

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
在 2024/2/5 在 PM12點13分, Boot17說:

@布萊克萊恩 我認為你說得有道理——我明白了。😃

我必須承認,在使用新使用者介面的頭幾天,我有一個相當本能的反應,但現在我至少開始更習慣它了。我不像第一次那樣討厭它,但我仍然認為它在許多方面不如舊用戶介面那麼好,正如上面許多評論中所述。

與此相關的許多 UI 錯誤以及我試圖更改這兩列中的單元格屬性的錯誤都無濟於事......那個小下拉菜單在哪裡......?

圖片.png.e674d9560d0a6f00c68e470e3f237ce8.png

哦,你也看不到嗎?讓我們仔細看看!當然就在這裡:

image.png.7dd164b2c2fbc819648eb759b0b13680.png

This reminds me of the icon that are always invisible in the system tray. When will it be modified?

• Like 1

Ugh! Looks like I picked up the new UI in 10.76.

First noticed that I was only seeing 6 notes in the list in snippet view with EN in full screen (1080p). Then I noticed the unfeasible amount of wasted space on the notes. Open a note in a new window and 1/3 of the screen is taken up with title bars and metadata before the actual note text starts. And the note background in dark mode is pure black with no contrast with the surrounding. Horrible. 🤮  Not only does it look terrible, it's really bad for productivity.

Who signed off on this? I work for a digital consultancy. We have a lot of good UR/UX people on software projects and there's no way Evernote did proper user research.  If Bending Spoons want to email me, I'm sure we can help them out! 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I overall really like the UI change, it feels smoother and looks cleaner.

but agree with others that:

- Would be nice to have a grey mode, something inbetween light and dark

- There's lots of unneeded whitespace

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
On 2/19/2024 at 9:48 AM, ferol said:

I hope, that is space for future TABS support 😅

AND, since "support" was mentioned, why not make one of the tabs a direct connection to a live person in technical support 7x24? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just got it pushed onto me. I'm with the others that lament the passing of the grey mode (or whatever let me have the menu dark but notes white). I have to switch to dark mode, but don't like it. More money for worse UI. And it seems like they are adding more features to free version. Why am I still paying for this thing? 

• Like 4

I just got upgraded to 10.76.2. Is that the new UI? I do everything in dark mode so maybe I dont notice the differences as much as I would in light mode? I've used dark mode so long I dont remember what it looked like in light mode.

I wonder if I got the new UI or not. 

On 1/15/2024 at 11:50 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What (almost) everybody previously has said: light text on gray background is hard on the eyes (unless you force dark mode, which is, amazingly, even uglier and harder to use); extra space everywhere. It just appeared in the 10.71.2 Windows app without an update. Sadly, I have not been selected for lab rat status yet, and it is still wildly ugly and inefficient, though I'm sure completely in keeping with principles of "modern" UI design, which promote ugliness and inefficiency. The basic principle seems to be to avoid anything that would differentiate one item in the window from another. I got a feedback banner, which I used vigorously.

Eh? It's actually very noticeably smaller.

And this: all lists (notes, tagged notes, etc.) now have teeny tiny separators with month and year. That would be nice--if the notes didn't scroll right through the separators, jumbling up the two different texts! One more: I kind of liked the "Good morning/afternoon/evening" in the Home page; now replaced by the generic and useless "David's Home," which if it really were my home I would run away from and join the circus.

My Web client hasn't "updated" yet, so here are comparison screenshots, the old one from the Web client first. Which one do you think is easier to find your way around in?

Evernote old interface.jpg

Evernote new interface.jpg

I agree with you. I don't particularly appreciate that it is hard to differentiate the home screen widgets. I believe it is a far less visually appealing. The scratchpad looks worse. Maybe it is my eyes but all the colours look dull.

I'm not too fond of the use of white spaces around the UI. I specifically Hate the unused space at the top of notes. its too much.

image.thumb.png.66475c672dd5faec4652f39faa2742b2.png

• Like 3
2 hours ago, silentquest said:

I just got upgraded to 10.76.2. Is that the new UI?

Could be, but not necessarily. There is a server-side/back-end switch that has to be flipped on our accounts (that we don't have control over).

If you post a screenshot we'll be able to tell. Is your share button green or periwinkle-ish?

image.thumb.png.5faa08b0d4cc2d7ede7c930acd98ba19.png

Green is the old v10 UI; Periwinkle the new.

image.png.4936ba6b16d518ae63fca6d68187a954.png

On 2/17/2024 at 3:56 AM, janndk said:

And there is a table-bug in the new UI, so... 😒

Not sure whether this is part of any table bug but when I add a PDF the representation of the inserted file stretches across the note width. Looks like a kid trying to learn to build a website with Netscape in 1999. As you can see, at least the attached photo doesn't blow up.

Below you see also the awesome implementation in Apple Notes. Sadly, I didn't have a screenshot from the previous Evernote design which was similar in the sense that an inserted PDF did NOT stretch all the way across.

EVERNOTE

image.thumb.png.8a62f53b2ceb3057e44326722b18f2ac.png

APPLE NOTES

image.png.7eea913b4e7a6133d0d06a89d3b6abe0.png

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BrainFreak6 said:

I specifically Hate the unused space at the top of notes. its too much.

... and that ugly menu bar... why isn't that themed (or handled differently). It's ugly (inconsistent colors).

screenshot_20240221_093933.thumb.jpg.bd93d0e19f66b0fd58a31109f6e50ec7.jpg

They should have a look at it, and if cannot get themed, work out a better solution. 

@Federico Simionato can the Windows client also get some love please?

• Like 3

would want to add that more often than not , I would align 2/3 image horizontally , organize them and then snip them both into 1 combined image , but now since the 'added feature' this is sadly impossible. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Could be, but not necessarily. There is a server-side/back-end switch that has to be flipped on our accounts (that we don't have control over).

If you post a screenshot we'll be able to tell. Is your share button green or periwinkle-ish?

image.thumb.png.5faa08b0d4cc2d7ede7c930acd98ba19.png

Green is the old v10 UI; Periwinkle the new.

image.png.4936ba6b16d518ae63fca6d68187a954.png

It is the color you show above. Periwinkle. I guess that means I have the new version. Yeah in light mode I'm not a fan of the new look. It's usable I guess and it's not going to make me cancel my subscription but it's definitely harder to use. In dark mode, for me, it's much more usable. IMO. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BrainFreak6 said:

I'm not too fond of the use of white spaces around the UI. I specifically Hate the unused space at the top of notes. its too much.

I just got the new UI pushed to me and came here to mention the same thing. It's especially bad if you open a note in a new window.

1/5 or more of the note is just taken up needlessly. By the time my actual note content starts, it's about 1/4+ of the way down the screen.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, mypointofview said:

Not sure whether this is part of any table bug but when I add a PDF the representation of the inserted file stretches across the note width. Looks like a kid trying to learn to build a website with Netscape in 1999. As you can see, at least the attached photo doesn't blow up.

Below you see also the awesome implementation in Apple Notes. Sadly, I didn't have a screenshot from the previous Evernote design which was similar in the sense that an inserted PDF did NOT stretch all the way across.

EVERNOTE

image.thumb.png.8a62f53b2ceb3057e44326722b18f2ac.png

APPLE NOTES

image.png.7eea913b4e7a6133d0d06a89d3b6abe0.png

I agree and it would also be great if the PDF images showed a preview like in Apple notes. I feel like in legacy you could have multiple attachments per line. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, mypointofview said:

Oh my gosh, you're right. It happens with all attachments. This can't possibly be the work of a qualified professional.

Everyone remember to go to https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback to let them know your opinions (good or bad).

• Like 3
12 hours ago, mypointofview said:

Not sure whether this is part of any table bug but when I add a PDF the representation of the inserted file stretches across the note width.

I think the reason for this was because a lot of folk complained that log PDF titles ended ... and it meant folk couldn't tell which file was what. Especially for research docs that may begin with the same words.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I think the reason for this was because a lot of folk complained that log PDF titles ended ... and it meant folk couldn't tell which file was what. Especially for research docs that may begin with the same words.

I get that, and have experienced it. So maybe increase the width of the title placeholder, or let it expand to fit a long title; but making it be always maximum width is just ugly and clunky, IMHO.

• Like 2

Do we have and ETA on when the changes to restore contrast will be made? Because they will be made or you'll start loosing subscribers. 

Notice that we are NOT accepting the changes, we are just giving you time to correct them.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

but making it be always maximum width is just ugly and clunky, IMHO

I understand that. I quite like it. I'm not sure if its my old man eyes but the extra spacing (tables is a bit OTT and I think is being tweaked) and generally larger UI elements make things easier to read.

This is the first time I've ever done any proper writing in Evernote as I always found it not nice!

Maybe a two column note could work for some folk. That actually sounds like quite a cool idea :) 

6 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Agree, but they could do a text wrap like apple notes (as shown above).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tcellguy said:

Agree, but they could do a text wrap like apple notes (as shown above).

Meh lol... then it would look like Apple Notes ;) I'd prefer Evernote to build its own style. I like some of it, and other stuff I don't but as long as I can get my stuff done I don't really care :) 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, mypointofview said:

Local version vs. web-version – see the differences:

Is this an external share? This side of EN hasn;t been worked on yet but I think its on the list. The old style will show for a while here until its rewritten.

10.77.3. Another three or four icons disappear off the end of the editing tool bar.

image.thumb.png.17c7885e5df2dd3d4517b60ed8bd199e.png

Why? To make room for "Source Sans Pro - Old default font"!

image.png.d0ec9c25834ff5b18856cfe62d8f3326.png

UPDATE: It's OK as long as you don't use the font. If you do, it remembers and leaves a huge gap in all notes until you restart EN.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
12 minutes ago, Mike P said:

10.77.3. Another three or four icons disappear off the end of the editing tool bar.

10.77.3-win-ddl-public (20240221121132)
Editor: V 177.3.2
Service: V 1.93.3
© 2019–2024 Evernote Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

2024-02-22_10-16-25_Window.png

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ChristianJB said:

10.77.3-win-ddl-public (20240221121132)
Editor: V 177.3.2
Service: V 1.93.3
© 2019–2024 Evernote Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

2024-02-22_10-16-25_Window.png

Have you selected and then deselected "Source Sans Pro - Old default font"? See the update to my post.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 2/21/2024 at 2:02 PM, gedece said:

Do we have and ETA on when the changes to restore contrast will be made? Because they will be made or you'll start loosing subscribers. 

Notice that we are NOT accepting the changes, we are just giving you time to correct them.

Welcome to the forums. These are basically user-to-user spaces, so the "you" that you wish to address is not here. Ultimatums to Evernote can be delivered to: feedback@evernote.com.

Does anybody like the weird yellow-to-purple gradient in the background? It makes me note list looks like one of those old beige monitors that has yellowed over the years. Doesn't look good IMO.

The "periwinkle" (share button color) also seems out of place to me. Green made sense before for internal links. They still are green, but not when you hover on the link, the tooltip popup link is the new periwinkle color. Just seems inconsistent.

I also don't like that they changed the default font as I've been having to resize tables and other spacing in notes because the new font doesn't display the same way. On this topic, why not add a global setting for this? I mean they included a "Source Sans Pro - Old default font", but how do I reapply that to all my notes? I can't go through 2000 notes.

Further, I'm not sure if it's the new theme or the recent update that added the ability to align inline images, but when inline images are left aligned, they no longer align with the rest of the content in the note, they're aligned further to the left, it just looks weird and triggers my OCD.

It's also extremely awkward resizing images now because the bounding box doesn't surround the bounds of the image itself, but includes white space to the edge of the note, so you go way over to the side of the note to resize the image. Just awkward.

I think this theme is worse than the previous one. I wish they'd spend their time on including new features, enhancing existing features, and fixing bugs instead of playing around with the theme and breaking the way my notes look because they keep changing default fonts and spacing in the application.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jh1989 said:

It's also extremely awkward resizing images now because the bounding box doesn't surround the bounds of the image itself, but includes white space to the edge of the note, so you go way over to the side of the note to resize the image. Just awkward.

This has been corrected in the latest version EN V10.77.3 (Web)

9 hours ago, jh1989 said:

I think this theme is worse than the previous one. I wish they'd spend their time on including new features, enhancing existing features, and fixing bugs instead of playing around with the theme and breaking the way my notes look because they keep changing default fonts and spacing in the application.

I had (and still have) the same opinion that it is overall worse than the previous one. We also see many UI/UX issues that we weren't sure if were intended by design or a bug or delayed implementation. There was no way for us to know on many of them and these changes were disruptive to me personally. Some of these have since been addressed, others not yet (if ever?). I know many rolled along with it just fine, but I felt jerked around with this one.

That said, to their credit, they are also working on new features and enhancing existing features at the same time though.

"In February alone, we're rolling out a full-size Calendar section, Outlook calendar integration, a better New Note button, a whole new desktop UI, in-app notifications, image alignment controls inside the editor, and an improvement to breadcrumbs. We're already working on /commands, AI Edit, collapsible sections and more." [Strikethrough mine. ;-)] 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, ghon said:

They are working on collapsible sections? This is EXCELLENT news!

It is going to be such a brilliant feature, unless it’s desktop only in which case I’d be furious. The ability to minimise data on mobile etc is so useful so I really hope this is an across the board feature. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ghon said:

They are working on collapsible sections? This is EXCELLENT news!

What exactly am I supposed to understand by this? Can you compare it to a competing application and its behaviour?

Now we have nesdet Tags...

It is the possibility to create a heading with some text below, and having the ability to collapse / hide the text, see below. By this it should be possible to have a better overview of the structure and outline of the whole note. MS word allows for example to outline the text and have only the headings shown. It would be perfect if a table of contents could be created within a note and having the ability to directly jump to the relevant heading or sectio.!

Of course it depends on how  the specific implementation will be done.

image.thumb.png.6038037a52f46cc81317c9c4353f3124.pngIMG_9160.thumb.jpeg.5b1d953617fc49ae55256563d3eab621.jpeg

• Like 3