New UI - Experiences Bad and Good

4 minutes ago, ghon said:

It is the possibility to create a heading with some text below, and having the ability to collapse / hide the text, see below. By this it should be possible to have a bettet overview on the structure of the outline of the whole nite. MS word allows for example to outline the text and have only the headings shown

image.thumb.png.6038037a52f46cc81317c9c4353f3124.pngIMG_9160.thumb.jpeg.5b1d953617fc49ae55256563d3eab621.jpeg

Ah - a fellow Upnote user/tester/try-it-out/at-least-have-it-installed. 😃

• Haha 1
On 2/11/2024 at 11:12 PM, ferol said:

Toto už asi ani nebudem komentovať. Napísal som tu už dávno, myslím, že jasná konštruktívna kritika a nápady na nový vzhľad. Občas si pozriem nové rozhranie na mojom archívnom účte, kde som požiadal o beta verziu. A preto nevidím ani jednu jedinú vec zo zoznamu, ktorý som tu uverejnil, ktorý bol zapracovaný. Len trochu lepší kontrast... Ale z užívateľského hľadiska iné nápady nič...

Už teraz považujem za stratu času čo i len komentovať a dávať spätnú väzbu niekomu z Evernote tímu. Aj tak si to robia po svojom.... alebo sa mi to tak zdá. 

Patrí sa napísať, ak niečo kritizujem alebo žiadam o zapracovanie - ďakujem.

Takže ďakujem @Federico Simionato   na vyriešenie bodu 4. . z môjho predchádzajúceho príspevku:

4. Vadí mi, že pri rolovaní v poznámke sa zároveň posúva aj názov poznámky a ja vlastne neviem, v ktorej poznámke som. Pretože často pracujem s poznámkami tak, že kopírujem časti textu z jednej do ďalší... ale stále sa musím posúvať nahor a vidieť, v ktorej prekliatej poznámke som...
Tento názov poznámky by mal byť natrvalo na svojom pevnom mieste, ako to bolo v starom Evernote, alebo by sa tento názov mohol objaviť niekde na paneli vedľa/nad/dole Naposledy upravené malými písmenami povedzte... a potom môže aj rolovať..

13 minutes ago, ghon said:

Je to možnosť vytvoriť nadpis s nejakým textom nižšie a mať možnosť zbaliť / skryť text, pozri nižšie. Tým by malo byť možné získať lepší prehľad o štruktúre a osnove celej poznámky. MS word umožňuje napríklad načrtnúť text a zobraziť iba nadpisy. Bolo by perfektné, keby bolo možné v rámci poznámky vytvoriť obsah, ktorý by mal možnosť priamo prejsť na príslušný nadpis alebo sekciu.!

Samozrejme záleží na tom, ako bude konkrétna implementácia vykonaná.

image.thumb.png.6038037a52f46cc81317c9c4353f3124.pngIMG_9160.thumb.jpeg.5b1d953617fc49ae55256563d3eab621.jpeg

so like working https://workflowy.com/ ?

6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

That’s the hope.  Let’s see how they implement it.

Hopefully not "by default" as it is in workflowy, but as a user-driven option. For me, the Workflowy system as it is made does not suit my purposes, but it is very interesting to learn.

Probably the most interesting thing about workflowy is the "mirroring"

https://workflowy.com/feature/mirrors/

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, ferol said:

Hopefully not "by default" as it is in workflowy, but as a user-driven option. For me, the Workflowy system as it is made does not suit my purposes, but it is very interesting to learn.

Probably the most interesting thing about workflowy is the "mirroring"

https://workflowy.com/feature/mirrors/

I haven’t used Workflowy in a while, but isn’t there a collapse all and expand all controls so you can keep everything expanded if you want?

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Už nejaký čas nepoužívam Workflowy, ale nedochádza k zbaleniu a rozbaleniu všetkých ovládacích prvkov, aby ste si mohli nechať všetko rozbalené, ak chcete?

I dont use it... only tested..

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I haven’t used Workflowy in a while, but isn’t there a collapse all and expand all controls so you can keep everything expanded if you want?

Yup.  I find WF very useful alongside Evernote.  They also do '/' commands...

workflowy.jpg.f1718f760c42e46290179470d0fa7fb6.jpgworkflowy2.jpg.5d470dbb2bbab1d3c9247e5ae00fd374.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  I find WF very useful alongside Evernote.  They also do '/' commands...

/ commands and collapsable stuff is coming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
15 hours ago, jh1989 said:

Does anybody like the weird yellow-to-purple gradient in the background? It makes me note list looks like one of those old beige monitors that has yellowed over the years. Doesn't look good IMO.

The "periwinkle" (share button color) also seems out of place to me. Green made sense before for internal links. They still are green, but not when you hover on the link, the tooltip popup link is the new periwinkle color. Just seems inconsistent.

I actually like having more color in the interface. What I see is more a straight-up and rather lovely blue than any of the "periwinkle" shades (but that's just how people's perceptions vary). It's odd that they want to reduce if not eliminate contrast, but then add colors.

I agree that the backgrounds are severely ugly. However, I just noticed that there's been a significant improvement in the Note List (center panel): as seen in the screen clip below, though the background remains "yellow snow" (as someone said), the focused note now has a blue box around it (much more distinct than the earlier faint gray box), and its background is now white rather than ish-yellow (more accurate than yellow-ish IMHO). A victory for contrast!

image.thumb.png.7f2db4ff6cf429d47cc2822d247ea935.png

7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

V skutočnosti sa mi páči viac farieb v rozhraní. To, čo vidím, je skôr rovná a skôr krásna modrá ako ktorýkoľvek z odtieňov „brčál“ (ale to je presne to, ako sa vnímanie ľudí líši). Je zvláštne, že chcú znížiť, ak nie odstrániť kontrast, ale potom pridať farby.

Súhlasím, že pozadie je veľmi škaredé. Všimol som si však, že došlo k výraznému zlepšeniu v zozname poznámok (stredný panel): ako je vidieť na klipe obrazovky nižšie, hoci pozadie zostáva „žltý sneh“ (ako niekto povedal), zameraná poznámka má teraz modrý rámček okolo neho (oveľa zreteľnejšie ako predchádzajúci slabý sivý rámček) a jeho pozadie je teraz skôr biele ako žltožlté (IMHO presnejšie ako žltohnedé). Víťazstvo pre kontrast!

image.thumb.png.7f2db4ff6cf429d47cc2822d247ea935.png

But only for Snippets...

No for Side list

image.png.4617e7cef299fd218830a4cd5c50628b.png

image.png.d3a60bf4cb46d87db81ad1076e8bf650.png

everyone talks about speed as an improvement.. maybe . but spinning loading images still occur on web and mobile , each time I enter a note via mobile app , its automatically updated as if I edited it (why?) ,  , customer support is gone , sent a request 1 month ago , no reply , notes with a lot of images upload the wrong image when trying to share a specific image via whatsapp on IOS i.e lets say I have 20 images , i want to share image 1 and then image 4 , when trying to share image 4 it will 'load' image 1 . 

And I must add that the white space on the new 'image improvement' makes notes with plenty of images so long and so unreadable , as a lot of user stuffed images horizontally...  for users who have 'heavy' data in notes , these changes make the entire experience of using evernote different 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 minute ago, dannydu said:

everyone talks about speed as an improvement.. maybe . but spinning loading images still occur , each time I enter a note via mobile app , its automatically updated as if I edited it (why?) , the spinning images did not occur prior 'bending spoons' acquisition  , customer support is gone , sent a request 1 month ago , no reply , notes with a lot of images upload the wrong image when trying to share a specific image via whatsapp on IOS i.e lets say I have 20 images , i want to share image 1 and then image 4 , when trying to share image 4 it will 'load' image 1 . 

And I must add that the white space on the new 'image improvement' makes notes with plenty of images so long and so unreadable , as a lot of user stuffed images horizontally...  

These mostly seem to be complaints about v. 10; there are other threads for that. But the last point, about the new UI adding so much pointless space, is apt and I agree with you.

• Like 2

The new UI is washed out and hard to read. I have hundreds of pages where I have lined up parallel columns using the TAB character. Now all those columns are ragged.  PLEASE revert the UI.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

These mostly seem to be complaints about v. 10; there are other threads for that. But the last point, about the new UI adding so much pointless space, is apt and I agree with you.

I think there is going to be an influx of legacy users into this thread (due to the announced legacy end date) that say they "hate the new UI too" -- meaning v10 in general because for them -- that is the new UI. They are unaware that it actually used to be better and more compact a few months ago.

But even the old v10 UI had way more white space than the Legacy version and I remember that being a common complaint when v10 first came out.

It might be hard to tell complaints apart since Legacy to v10 and v10 to v10 UI revamp share some common complaints.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, StribRS said:

The new UI is washed out and hard to read. I have hundreds of pages where I have lined up parallel columns using the TAB character. Now all those columns are ragged.  PLEASE revert the UI.

Agree totally. The dark mode is bad for use on a screen and the light mode (poor UI contract for the visually impaired) - the last design with a dark background menu was great. the customer should at least have the option to keep the old UI.

• Like 1

I've been reading the comments here and feel I need to add my own thoughts. I have been an Evernote user since 2012 and I view the recent UI changes positively. For me, the interface has become more readable. It seems to me that regardless of the UI changes, the stability and speed of EV are continuously improving as well. Since this thread mostly contains negative reviews, I thought I would also share my opinion. Personally, I would not want the UI to revert back to what it was before version in 10.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, StribRS said:

Welcome to the forums. We're other users here, so (sadly) we can't revert anything. The ragged columns are no doubt due to the new default font. It might be possible to select all text and change the font to the previous one (it's still an option in the font selector), but a lot of work over that many pages.

Loving the new UI! Everything is just much clearer and visible. Fonts are better, better contrast between different items everywhere, the dark mode background is not pitch black but greyish which is much easier to look at. Great job!

8 minutes ago, silversurfer69 said:

Milujeme nové používateľské rozhranie! Všetko je oveľa jasnejšie a viditeľné. Písma sú lepšie, lepší kontrast medzi rôznymi položkami všade, pozadie tmavého režimu nie je tmavo čierne, ale sivasté, čo je oveľa jednoduchšie. Dobrá práca!

I've already stopped to deal with the colors, but the space it absolutely does not save on the monitor

• Level 5
11 minutes ago, silversurfer69 said:

Loving the new UI! Everything is just much clearer and visible. Fonts are better, better contrast between different items everywhere, the dark mode background is not pitch black but greyish which is much easier to look at. Great job!

Thanks for a positive review. I will say that the current version of the new UI is far better than what was originally released, which had less contrast than the current one, and much, much less than the old UI.

Has anybody posted about this yet? I don't think I've seen it and I just noticed it. This is on Desktop 10.77.3

The "New Note" button is just for a new note

image.png.870e152e3e36b8adfbe547ae8399c428.png

and then there is a little button to the right with ellipsis that you'd click to get a New Task, Attachment, Audio or Sketch:

image.png.2fbf93646ab742e03c729fec9a83110d.png

So no more having to double-click to create a new note.

I like that.

• Like 4

Issues I have had with evernote since forever... the aplication window itself does not remember the position and size between sessions... this is programming 101 - Why do I have to rearrange it every time I open it...?

and the reason I like to have my evernote window in a certain spot, at maximum height, is to be able to see all my note folders on the sidebar - without having to scroll.... now, with the new spaced out pixel wasting design, I get much less density and thus need to be scrolling... little things like this annoy me... New font, who cares... all the wasted space on the screen is a concern... as is not being able to change any of the settings that affect this... for example...

I know my name, I don't need to see that taking up all those pixels above search... same with "ready to start taking notes area? Again, I know my name, I don't need to be told that it is 'Kovin's Home'

Both Search and New note.task buttons could be removed from the side bar and placed on the tool bar... Gmail has simple options for making the UI more compact and dense, with less blank space between stuff... and the spreading out now extends to other views such as when I choose notes from the sidebar, I get notes, spaced out like blank pixels are the latest trend... either return the compactness, or give me the option to manage those elements, or Obsidian is going to get a lot more love from me and that is based solely on some programmer thinking I need more space on my UI... I don't... if it is unclear, or illegible, I can change my system font size etc. to manage that...

So, make the window open in same position, same size each time, and trim out all that space that makes me now scroll... please...?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I like that.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm on 10.77.3 ("new" UI) but not seeing that yet. They will need to start telling us the actual version number of the UI we are using or things are going to get very confusing.

10.77.3-win-ddl-public (20240221121132)
Editor: v177.3.2
Service: v1.93.3
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Like 2

The low-contrast UI aesthetic seems to be popular these days as I have seen it in other software. But from a usability standpoint, it is totally illogical. What you want is high contrast, or at least allow the user the option to change it. It seems Evernote has done absolutely no user testing because this should have been addressed long ago. Personally, I like black text, not light gray.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, chilee said:

The low-contrast UI aesthetic seems to be popular these days as I have seen it in other software. But from a usability standpoint, it is totally illogical. What you want is high contrast, or at least allow the user the option to change it. It seems Evernote has done absolutely no user testing because this should have been addressed long ago. Personally, I like black text, not light gray.

I've somehow gotten used to it.... and I guess I'll survive. But what pisses me off the most is that they're a terrible waste of space...

• Like 2
On 2/23/2024 at 9:32 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

seems image whitespace issue has been correctly fixed on web and desktop, thank the lord and this forum . would think that a 'margin' feature is better , since when exporting to PDF the layout on web will leave a lot of blank pages on PDF export so it would be great to have an option to organize your note layout as if it was a A4 page. 

Hi, long time user here, I think this is my first post.  I'm on Windows 10, Desktop, 10.77.3.

I know this is a small thing, lol, buuuuut in this version's UI, on dark mode, the checkmarks are blue, instead of green.  I liked the green theme of the dark interface, hope they aren't switching over to blue...

• Level 5
2 hours ago, NateLikesTea said:

Hi, long time user here, I think this is my first post.  I'm on Windows 10, Desktop, 10.77.3.

I know this is a small thing, lol, buuuuut in this version's UI, on dark mode, the checkmarks are blue, instead of green.  I liked the green theme of the dark interface, hope they aren't switching over to blue...

Hi, and welcome to the forums. It looks like bits of blue are popping up here and there in the new UI, but I don't think green is disappearing. Just MHO.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:20 PM, Kovin said:

make the window open in same position, same size each time

On my Mac, the window opens always in the size and format that I left it last time before quitting the app. But I agree with you – what you're experiencing should not happen.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:03 PM, Boot17 said:

I like that.

Here, on macOS with the latest Evernote v10.77.3, I still have to click twice: After initially clicking on the green New button it unfolds and shows a purple Task button. I then have to click again on the green button.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mypointofview said:

Here, on macOS with the latest Evernote v10.77.3, I still have to click twice: After initially clicking on the green New button it unfolds and shows a purple Task button. I then have to click again on the green button.

As noted above this is also my experience. I wonder whether those people who originally signed up for the beta program for the new UI are getting UI releases ahead of other users or whether it is just "we'll roll it out to a random x% and they can find the bugs for us."

I think I may have just answered my own question - different feature but same idea.

image.png.86400fa9a27d0997d1903ef9069f5794.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

As noted above this is also my experience. I wonder whether those people who originally signed up for the beta program for the new UI are getting UI releases ahead of other users or whether it is just "we'll roll it out to a random x% and they can find the bugs for us."

I signed up for the beta and am not seeing the latest new changes either.  The rollout seems random to me.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 2/24/2024 at 10:20 PM, Kovin said:

Issues I have had with evernote since forever... the aplication window itself does not remember the position and size between sessions... this is programming 101 - Why do I have to rearrange it every time I open it...?

and the reason I like to have my evernote window in a certain spot, at maximum height, is to be able to see all my note folders on the sidebar - without having to scroll.... now, with the new spaced out pixel wasting design, I get much less density and thus need to be scrolling... little things like this annoy me... New font, who cares... all the wasted space on the screen is a concern... as is not being able to change any of the settings that affect this... for example...

I know my name, I don't need to see that taking up all those pixels above search... same with "ready to start taking notes area? Again, I know my name, I don't need to be told that it is 'Kovin's Home'

Both Search and New note.task buttons could be removed from the side bar and placed on the tool bar... Gmail has simple options for making the UI more compact and dense, with less blank space between stuff... and the spreading out now extends to other views such as when I choose notes from the sidebar, I get notes, spaced out like blank pixels are the latest trend... either return the compactness, or give me the option to manage those elements, or Obsidian is going to get a lot more love from me and that is based solely on some programmer thinking I need more space on my UI... I don't... if it is unclear, or illegible, I can change my system font size etc. to manage that...

So, make the window open in same position, same size each time, and trim out all that space that makes me now scroll... please...?

I agree with you, but all that extra space is intentional. It's part of the so-called "modern" school of UI design, I think. They're not going to "make the UI more compact and dense," however much better sense that makes. 😝 Same with the Home page. I know my name, I know it's my Home page, I know what I came there to do.

BTW, this is not the place to address requests to Evernote directly. That would be feedback@evernote.com. We're mainly other users here.

WRT positioning at start up, what kind of device and OS version do you use? On my Windows 10 laptop (and every other computer I've used Evernote 10 on) it always remembers its last position--although there have been times when a version update would mess this up and I'd have to reset it. The most recent updates seem to have fixed that, though.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, s2sailor said:
8 hours ago, Mike P said:

I signed up for the beta and am not seeing the latest new changes either.  The rollout seems random to me.

I *didn't* sign up for the UI beta on my main account and I got it. So -- yeah - randomly testing user interface features on a percentage of the users... That's going to take a while for many people to get used to and makes it interesting from a discussion forum perspective because two people can be on the exact same version of *everything* and still have different user experiences. Asking "which version number are you on" will be a little be less useful than before.

Duolingo has been doing this A/B testing for quite a while and many people just roll with it, but there are still so many that find it confusing even after years of them doing it.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

So -- yeah - randomly testing user interface features on a percentage of the users...

Yep, that seems to be it. And paying customers are so much cheaper than a QA department!

• Like 2

To preface, I have already submitted this feedback on the official feedback page. Here are the UI changes that I find most frustrating:

1.  The "monochrome" look. Lacks separation of elements onscreen--visual clarity has decreased. 
  2. When hitting "return" after typing some text, there is now extra space between lines that did not use to exist (or at least the extra space was less). Why can't there be user-defined spacing options?  
  3. Bullet points--the overall size of the bullet points has been decreased to the point of tier-two bullet points looking nearly identical to tier-one. If you increase the font size enough, you can see that it's supposed to be a circle with white space. It looks like a solid dot.

I gernally like version 10. It needs more font choices, and it'd be worth the price increase if Presentation Mode was restored, but the new UI feels like a giant leap backward in usability. As I am typing in the user forums, the text is clean and very readable. Why does the desktop app look worse? The changes are so unappealing. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

image.png.084ba723f5578dac2638258ebb0ade55.png

This is pretty slick...

is this real in some version on the computer? I don't have it yet, but I described here some time ago some kind of this modification, so that it doesn't click twice for a new note

7 minutes ago, ferol said:

is this real in some version on the computer? I don't have it yet, but I described here some time ago some kind of this modification, so that it doesn't click twice for a new note

This showed up on two of my machines today, only on my personal account. It may be rolling out slowly.

Edit: I should rephrase, it's my personal account as belonging to me not my work account. It's actually a Professional subscription.

https://evernote.com/release-notes/10.78.2

• Fixed a padding issue with tables in the new UI

Left and Right padding in table cells is back closer to how it was before the UI revamp. Cool! 👍

Here was the "Before" UI Revamp, then the "After" UI Revamp. (See https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149750-new-ui-experiences-bad-and-good/?do=findComment&comment=717814)

image.png.6be17e96e2170ceb3ba4b7aa883e4f5f.png

Here it is now in 10.78.2:

image.png.9342c2f523918b6b19dc7f88c1a85861.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

image.png.084ba723f5578dac2638258ebb0ade55.png

This is pretty slick...

This is v. 10.78.2, which I just got today automatically. I presume it's available from evernote.com/download. It also fixed the recent searches, so that they're now actually recent, and sync properly across all devices on an account. The Release Notes only mention the table padding; the other things are at least as important

9 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

It looks like this in action:

2024-03-01_19-54-05.gif.8fa454a6e0429d9509d2daf1813c746e.gif

Perfcet. I have it too..

Again, I feel it makes sense to post comments and requests... So point number 5 from my post here is fixed (And the implementation is even better than I thought...):  

5. Possibility to customize the New button. I don't even remember when I added Attatchment, Audio or Sketch directly in Windows. And I don't use Task at all. So for me adding a new note again means 2x clicking NEW and then Note.
So I would suggest to do those 2 most common items separately on top of each other:
New Note
New Task
New other... 

Or you can customize this somehow..

Although I am right now at peace with the new UI design, I would like to point out one detail which I do not like and could be easily corrected:

There is too much space wasted between note text and task ajust above the task, it would be great to have this corrected:

image.png.2307bfb216e59b62af4114535fde4f5d.png

• Level 5
On 3/2/2024 at 7:07 AM, ghon said:

Although I am right now at peace with the new UI design, I would like to point out one detail which I do not like and could be easily corrected:

There is too much space wasted between note text and task ajust above the task, it would be great to have this corrected:

image.png.2307bfb216e59b62af4114535fde4f5d.png

Unfortunately, wasting space actually seems to be one of the key principles of the new UI. Literally. It's "open" or "modern" or something. And it's all over the interface, so I don't think it's going to get fixed.

I'm mostly getting used to it, but there are still a few things that I don't think are quite as good. The space in between the task and anything else is one of them still for me too.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:41 PM, Boot17 said:

I do think a little white space is important, but IMO what we currently have now with the UI revamp just seems a tad bit excessive.

Another example... -- I don't have a comparison of the old version anymore, but here it is on the new:

image.png.8bdd4fc601d7044ef6697d10f888800b.png

There is no empty line between the header and the task or the task and the table. It's just blank padding.

I really wish we could set a preference for those margins and padding.

I am getting a little frustrated with the Task feature being more apparent in the Evernote applications. Does anyone know if it's possible to hide the purple Task create-button button in the sidebar - or even better; disable the Task feature completely? 🤔

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Danni P. said:

I am getting a little frustrated with the Task feature being more apparent in the Evernote applications. Does anyone know if it's possible to hide the purple Task create-button button in the sidebar - or even better; disable the Task feature completely? 🤔

Afraid not. It's considered a major feature, so they're not likely to make it possible to disable it. Honestly, I don't use it (yet) either, and I manage to ignore the new purple button (which as of v. 10.78 is only about 1/4 the size of the New Note button).

• Like 1

It is hard to say anything meaningful about the new UI since it keeps changing visibly and also subtly with each release. Bugs come, and go, and come back again. Can there be some communication from EN about when things will stabilize enough to give meaningful feedback?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Can there be some communication from EN about when things will stabilize enough to give meaningful feedback?

Don’t wait for any change to be baked in, unless you don’t mind it stabilizing into something you don’t want. I would suggest giving feedback on any new version, clearly stating which version you are commenting on.

• Like 2

It could just be coincidence, but it's possible that some changes have been made due to some detailed feedback in the comments.

Off the top of my head:

• table cell left and right padding
  • note title missing in the window title
  • images being side-by-side issue
  • image resizing box funkiness
  • improved contrast in some places

Having said that, there are also many different changes going on and the version number doesn't always matter as much now do to the A/B type testing that they are starting to implement to test small UI feature changes on a percentage of users.

I must not be a very good surfer because sometimes I fall off this board and into the wave instead of riding it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

It could just be coincidence, but it's possible that some changes have been made due to some detailed feedback in the comments.

Off the top of my head:

• table cell left and right padding
  • note title missing in the window title
  • images being side-by-side issue
  • image resizing box funkiness
  • improved contrast in some places

Having said that, there are also many different changes going on and the version number doesn't always matter as much now do to the A/B type testing that they are starting to implement to test small UI feature changes on a percentage of users.

I must not be a very good surfer because sometimes I fall off this board and into the wave instead of riding it.

As I follow it here, I also have the impression that more things from the forum have been incorporated and corrected... but nobody comes here to comment afterwards, so we don't know...

• Like 2

Apparently white text on pure black background drives more eyestrain. I'd like to have a grayer background option in dark mode. The new very dark black background on dark mode has been causing me a lot of eye strain. 

The macOS Reeder app has a whole palette of options of different color modes that I wish Evernote could implement. 

image.png.05d78569db858cfd3cbe48e97fccb8ef.png

image.png.e919d1b94b4e3d8b4a9017db7eb0190e.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ferol said:

As I follow it here, I also have the impression that more things from the forum have been incorporated and corrected... but nobody comes here to comment afterwards, so we don't know...

I will, the very moment they fix a single one of my long list of issues. I will.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Danni P. said:

On Desktop and Web you can hide it temporarily by a little bit of hackery...

Before:

image.png.06b0ab3460d02cb333fa96a12fba493a.png

After:

image.png.a95c8de1486abc372e4ba309e11b532b.png

Quick overview -- use your favorite search engine to help you if you need more details, but basically to do this, you use the Developer Tools. On Desktop and Chrome Web you press F12 to activate. You use the little "inspect" tool (click on it):

image.png.82892ffe42982ead4576248f654f8ce6.png

And then hover over and then click on the task button like so:

image.png.f032ba9fc1ef82c5b0bbf7be85662c89.png

That shows you and selects the underlying DOM element in the "Elements" portion of the Developer Tools:

image.png.0ab34aeaa63e7eee2fae611b0a08ae2f.png

Press the "delete" key and presto! -- you've deleted the task button temporarily.

This change should persist until the next time you restart the Desktop app or reload the browser page.

I also use a similar hack to make the task side bar about 200 pixels wider.

1 hour ago, Tcellguy said:

Apparently white text on pure black background drives more eyestrain. I'd like to have a grayer background option in dark mode. The new very dark black background on dark mode has been causing me a lot of eye strain.

I agree, the black of Evernote editor background is a little too dark for my taste, but the examples you showed are also a little too light for my taste. I guess I'm a mama bear kind of porridge guy in this scenario... just right!

The editor background of Evernote (after UI Revamp) is #141414. I thought the old color of #262626 was perfect.

1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

I will, the very moment they fix a single one of my long list of issues. I will.

I figured no one from BS directly, they don't come here to announce it

@Federico Simionato In the dark theme, the notebookname and title at the very top of the screen are almost unreadable now due to extremely low contrast. It appears that font color improvements made in the light theme are badly impacting the color in the dark theme. I hope  the dark theme is not automatically derived from the light one...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

@Federico Simionato In the dark theme, the notebookname and title at the very top of the screen are almost unreadable now due to extremely low contrast. It appears that font color improvements made in the light theme are badly impacting the color in the dark theme. I hope  the dark theme is not automatically derived from the light one...

https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback

On 3/4/2024 at 4:24 PM, Boot17 said:

I agree, the black of Evernote editor background is a little too dark for my taste, but the examples you showed are also a little too light for my taste. I guess I'm a mama bear kind of porridge guy in this scenario... just right!

The editor background of Evernote (after UI Revamp) is #141414. I thought the old color of #262626 was perfect.

I’d be happy if they’d just swap the notes list to black and the note background to dark gray like is currently on the iPadOS version. That UI still looks great. 

I recently started having difficulty seeing indentation in tags in the hierarchy in the sidebar. Has it changed in the new UI vs older versions of the new UI or is just me?

I found a screen shot of the old UI and it was so much easier to see the hierarchy if scrolling through the tag list in the sidebar. If you look at the tag icons the old UI had a much bigger indentation. The EN design team love adding space except where it is actually helpful!

image.png.307d9ee3235bc8a72105513dfaff0d97.pngimage.png.253307ec82c9d56d059bea6a30756bfa.png

On 3/8/2024 at 8:24 AM, Mike P said:

I recently started having difficulty seeing indentation in tags in the hierarchy in the sidebar. Has it changed in the new UI vs older versions of the new UI or is just me?

Yeah, it definitely changed. It actually used to be worse early in the rollout of the new UI, with zero or virtually zero indentation (possibly a bug). The spacing of sub-tags has become a little slimmer with the new UI but it's a tricky balancing act.

For a great example, see the person who posted after you in this very thread - they have multiple levels of tag hierarchies with some long tag names and they can't see the full length of their tags in the sidebar. Their problem would be even worse if there were more spacing in the tag hierarchies. One of those situations where it's tough to please everyone. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 8:08 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Hey folks! Thank you all very much for your feedback!

We only wanted to enable the new UI for those who opted in to test it, but mistakenly enabled it for many more users. Apologies, we've now reverted that and you should see the old version unless you opted in. We'll use feedback from the beta testers to improve it.

If you want to keep exploring the new UI, you can put your email address here (needs to be the one linked to your Evernote account): https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/to/tvTldYzV#source=forum

A change I have really disliked in the new version is the changes in the Tool Bar while editing a document. Tools I regularly use have been hidden, and replaced with features I do not need or want, and there is no option for editing the toolbar preferences.

Between wasted/blank space, and items I don't use (circled), well over half the toolbar space is useless to me.

image.thumb.jpeg.88187869c69e58627a8aec2019e45181.jpeg

Meanwhile, these tools I regularly use in my notes are hidden under the "more" menu.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a560a4773e1c565dfd7dc4505a54276.jpeg

I would like to be able to configure this tool bar to meet my needs - remove buttons I don't use, and add those that I use regularly.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, elusis said:

I've given it there already. Unfortunately there's no way to attach images.

Also, how about including a link back to this thread?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 3/20/2024 at 5:21 PM, elusis said:

A change I have really disliked in the new version is the changes in the Tool Bar while editing a document. Tools I regularly use have been hidden, and replaced with features I do not need or want, and there is no option for editing the toolbar preferences.

This is actually not due to the UI but to a (IMHO) thoughtless implementation of the new AI Search button on the right, which seems to come with a massive amount of padding in front of it, forcing editing tools into the More button. It's been discussed here in several threads, and has been fixed since v. 10.80.3, I believe.

• Like 1

It's partly the AI Search button (which we should be allowed to disable if we're not subscribed at the level that allows its use) but also forcing the "insert" button and the task & calendar template buttons to be visible on the left. I don't use those and would gladly put *them* in a "more" drop-down in favor of having my frequently used formatting options (highlight; various kinds of lists) readily available.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
36 minutes ago, elusis said:

It's partly the AI Search button (which we should be allowed to disable if we're not subscribed at the level that allows its use) but also forcing the "insert" button and the task & calendar template buttons to be visible on the left. I don't use those and would gladly put *them* in a "more" drop-down in favor of having my frequently used formatting options (highlight; various kinds of lists) readily available.

The problem, of course, is that there are people who use them more than formatting options, and they would be in here complaining if they were hidden. Being able to customize the toolbar, as was possible in Legacy (on Windows, anyway) would be nice. I'm not sure what it's implications are in trying to preserve a common interface across Windows/Web/Mac/Android/iOS.

That's all I'm asking for, is the ability to choose which (tiles, buttons, widgets, call them what you will) appear on my toolbar, which is an incredibly common and expected function in many programs, especially those focusing on productivity and data management. I should be able to organize my tools so the ones I use most are most available to me, and someone who uses the tools differently can make choices that suit their workflow.

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, elusis said:

That's all I'm asking for, is the ability to choose which (tiles, buttons, widgets, call them what you will) appear on my toolbar, which is an incredibly common and expected function in many programs, especially those focusing on productivity and data management. I should be able to organize my tools so the ones I use most are most available to me, and someone who uses the tools differently can make choices that suit their workflow.

I agree, that would be great. The question is whether it could be implemented in, say, the Windows desktop client and in the mobile apps as well, where these things are arranged rather differently. Of course the width of the toolbar is somewhat device dependent anyway. BTW, I notice in your screenshot above that you have the note collapsed rather than expanded (double-headed arrow at top left). Here's my toolbar, showing all tools visible, in the desktop app in a window that mostly fills a 17" laptop screen, with the note expanded (which hides the center panel; almost the same can be achieved by collapsing the left panel with F10):

image.thumb.png.4c77f9c2d8f60cdf5b9659619a361f21.png

On 2/18/2024 at 2:23 PM, amInMarina said:

Evernote searched - selected - highlighted  text color problem?

20240218 Evernote selected - highlighted  text color problem.jpg

This problem has been fixed with version 10.81.4.

Now, I can "see" again!

20240323ensc Evernote - manual install of latest version 10.81.4 fixes coloring issue.jpg

Edited by amInMarina
fixed typo
57 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The question is whether it could be implemented in, say, the Windows desktop client and in the mobile apps as well, where these things are arranged rather differently.

I don't know if mobile apps typically allow toolbar editing; I confess I do most things on my laptop.

I tend to work with notes within the app framework ("collapsed" as you put it) because I'm often moving among multiple notes. Having a panel-within-frame UI makes it even MORE important, IMHO, that users be offered the opportunity to configure which tools to have within "reach" since size is smaller.

I feel like this move toward enforcing a set of tools on users really started a few versions ago when they abruptly removed the "trash" icon on the toolbar, forcing the user to use a contextual menu or top menu bar to delete a note...

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, elusis said:

Do the devs ever respond to feedback, or to forum posts?

The product head was very active on here, up until things started to get super toxic. He is now interacting with users primarily on X where things are less reactive.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don't know what reactivity has happened here as I don't follow the forum. Do you have a link to this X account? I try not to use it but would be interested.

5 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

The product head was very active on here, up until things started to get super toxic. He is now interacting with users primarily on X where things are less reactive.

That's just ... running away from the problem. Wouldn't people just voice their grievances on X instead?

And it'd be worse because then Evernote's PR releases on X will be peppered with negative comments, hurting Evernote's image.

19 minutes ago, anfang said:

That's just ... running away from the problem. Wouldn't people just voice their grievances on X instead?

And it'd be worse because then Evernote's PR releases on X will be peppered with negative comments, hurting Evernote's image.

Speaking for myself, I don't recall any threads that Federico participated becoming toxic, but perhaps I missed it. Still, my speculation is the recent focus on Twitter is to attract a different kind of user and potentially get exposure to people who don't currently use EN or formerly used EN, neither of which are likely to be spending much time on these forums.

• Like 3