Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

REQUEST: Mind Mapping

productivity mind maps

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 cgalli

cgalli

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hello

Evernote is a very good tool for me and I use it daily to gather my thoughts and ideas.

While listing a few items today, it occurred to me that a MindMap tool or editor would be the perfect addition to evernote. structured lists could be derived from it and vice versa.

Any chance of getting something like this?

Regards
Christophe

#2 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

We don't plan to add a MindMap UI directly into our products, but we will be publishing programming interfaces (APIs) in the near future, which would allow the creation of specialized tools like MindMaps by third-party developers.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#3 Suzeabelle

Suzeabelle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

I too would love to have the ability to pull my mind maps created in MindManager into Evernote.

#4 grouchal

grouchal

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

This gets my support also - within the client and on the web would be much better than mind manager import - I would pay for this to be in a premium client.

This is conditional on collaboration working better in the future!

#5 Mjulson

Mjulson

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

I would like the ability to create mind maps or at least flows, as notes. I would specifically like it on iPad and Mac, but it should be universal on all UI's.

#6 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

There are plenty of mindmapping programs out there.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#7 Mjulson

Mjulson

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the information. How many of them are there in the cloud? How many work on Mac, win, iPad and iPhone?

There are also a lot of note taking programs as well, but someone at ever note decided there was a market despite notepad being available.

From my perspective, evernote would be more valuable if it supported the creation of mind maps. YMMV

#8 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

Although BnF doesn't always engage his politeness gene when replying to people on here I think he is kind of right.

I don't want EN to do mind mapping or be a 'real' word processor. I don't want feature bloat, I want a solid, reliable note capture platform that I can access from multiple devices anywhere.

I would rather the small team that builds EN dedicate their time to developing new features that are key to note capture and fixing the inevitable bugs that are part of all software.

#9 bllarkin

bllarkin

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

As a suggestion, you could do this in "Ink" note, if you were willing to draw it. I don't think this is on all platforms yet, but I think it is probably coming.

#10 TheGurkha

TheGurkha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

Although BnF doesn't always engage his politeness gene when replying to people on here I think he is kind of right.

I don't want EN to do mind mapping or be a 'real' word processor. I don't want feature bloat, I want a solid, reliable note capture platform that I can access from multiple devices anywhere.

I would rather the small team that builds EN dedicate their time to developing new features that are key to note capture and fixing the inevitable bugs that are part of all software.

+1.

It's not in the cloud, but FreeMind is free, and it is Java based. I have used it on Windows and Linux, it should run on Mac. I doubt it'll run on the iPhone though.
Evernote Version 4.2.1.3744 (123659)
iPod Touch Client: 3.4.2
Android 3.0.1
July 2009 Cohort!

#11 lisbeth

lisbeth

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I am on the fence on whether to upgrade to a premium evernote account. Holding me back? The ability to create mindmaps for some people To Do List's work great but for others who need to brainstorm and dump a bunch of thoughts onto a screen a mind map allows you to begin a framework. I would add the ability to synch between desktops and mobile is a must but that is a forgone conclusion.

Give me mindmapping functionality and color me a paid subscriber Evernote.

Kudos to a great product that will some day be the leading standard on note cloud synching

#12 bruce_at_jacobs

bruce_at_jacobs

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

I am on the fence on whether to upgrade to a premium evernote account. Holding me back? The ability to create mindmaps ... Give me mindmapping functionality and color me a paid subscriber Evernote.

Funny, Being able to sync my FreeMind maps between home and work was one of the reasons I went premium 8)
My work flow is like this.

1. Open freemind and create a new map and do what ever brainstorming needs to be done.
2. Save map in the same folder as I have setup for my scanner to auto import into Evernote.
3. Close this initial map so I don't make anymore changes in a unsynced map.

Now when I want to open or edit the map I go to the note that has the .mm file stored in it and double click, it opens in Freemind and I can make what changes I want. When I save it, it is stored back in the note in evernote so I can open it on any computer that has Freemind installed. This should work for other Mind Mapping software products also, but FreeMind is free and Evernote doesn't have to invent yet another format/tool.

I guess the only thing that I might like Evernote to do is to render a preview of the Mindmap like pdf's.

#13 lisbeth

lisbeth

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. So do I also need a scanner? And this is only possible with the premium service?

Is that the easiest way to save a mind map on evernote? Seems like a lot of steps. I was hoping for a *click* save type of option

Thank you for responding

Lisbeth

#14 bruce_at_jacobs

bruce_at_jacobs

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

So do I also need a scanner? And this is only possible with the premium service?

Is that the easiest way to save a mind map on evernote? Seems like a lot of steps. I was hoping for a *click* save type of option

No you don't need the scanner I just use the same auto import folder that I have setup for my scanner as on auto save to Evernote folder for other programs.

Yes you need to be premium to store other program files like FreeMind, Excel or anything other than the few that Evernote supports in there free service.

This is my method for starting a new file. If you already have existing files just drag and drop them into Evernote. Somehow I created a right click send to Evernote function but I don't remember how I did that at the moment but you can probably search the forum for the instructions.

Bruce

#15 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

You won't get 'previews' of anything except images and PDFs (which should be a choice but isn't) - but it should certainly fulfill your requirements and all for $45....

#16 lisbeth

lisbeth

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the follow up guys. I appreciate the help. I think I will wait a bit before I sign up for the premium service :)

#17 geirhi

geirhi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

I use Evernote in business and for private use.

Will you integrate a mindmapping - functionality in the near future? I need a simple, cross-platform, planning/mindmapping ...

thanks,

Geir H

#18 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

I would guess that the answer is no, at least for the short term. Evernote is primarily a cross-platform note capture and storage mechanism, with facilities for note taking. It's not meant to be a replacement for dedicated to-do lists, project planners or mind-mappers.

~Jeff
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#19 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:25 AM

You can use a third-party Mindmapping application, and then drag the map files into Evernote if you have a Premium subscription. Then you can double-click to open them again in that application.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#20 Network-Ninjaneer

Network-Ninjaneer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Can you add an option to create mind maps and flow charts? I love evernote and have copied many a whiteboard session to my notes but I would really like to use it to study with as well. I would like to use evernote to document a protocol's process so that I can create study guides for myself to go back and review later while I ride the bus or take a flight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote