Idea

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the all-new Penultimate app was released today. Penultimate 6.0 is a complete redesign of the best digital handwriting app on iPad. Version 6.0 is focused around smoother writing and better organization.

Included in Penultimate 6.0:

• New UI for focused writing
  • Write in full screen and keep writing without stopping to add new pages. Use two fingers to scroll up and down notes.
  • Create new notes, and access different kinds of paper, more quickly
  • New highlighting tool
  • Improved connection process, writing quality, and accuracy for the Jot Script stylus
  • More powerful search
  • View by default all Evernote notebooks that contain Penultimate notes
  • Access and add notes to your Evernote notebooks, including business notebooks
  • View your Penultimate notes in Evernote

Let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store. You can purchase the Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus by Adonit in the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Obviously this is a terrific update the app and the new look is snappy.

• Love that we can now save individual notes and send those to specific notebooks in Evernote
  • Love the design and full screen mode is, well, awesome

Some things that I am noticing:

• Still lots of artifacts on the screen when you write 
  • The drift feature when in zoom is too fast
  • The line thickness transfer from zoom to the "paper" is not proportionate--too thick
  • There is not "clear all" option to erase and entire page
  • There is now thumbnail page view--for longer notebooks scrolling through is cumbersome

Hope these thoughts help. Congrats on a the update. 

• Like 8

I like the new way of creating single notes that sync to evernote notebooks, instead of the "dedicated" Penultimate notebooks we used to have. It's a step further to full penultimate/evernote integration. However, the most important functionality of penultimate, handwriting notes is now poorly implemented, compared to version 5. I use a bamboo stylus, that used to work very well and now, my writing became sluggish and the zoom function, now at the bottom of the screen is definitely a step back from former version. Please, bring back the handwriting quality of version 5 into this version and we will have a winner!

• Like 4

I'm not happy with this at all! I don't sync my stuff much, but this update forced me to sign in. Then it proceeded to sync without asking or informing me. I wouldn't have minded except it deleted all my recent notes and restored old crufty ones. How do I get my old notes back? Not all of us spend all of our time in a permanent date of syncing with everything, but when we do we expect syncing to behave properly! And at least to be asked if we want to do it first. Ironically I was considering getting the Adjonit pen but after this experience I may look elsewhere for note taking facilities.

I also seem to have lost all my old notes after the upgrade and being forced to sign in. Is there any way to get these back??

• Like 3

It seems that you can resize a photo by press-holding the image to select and then resize using two fingers. I will say that the image sometimes jumps around the screen though, so "the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational."

I was excited to learn Evernote was going to update Penultimate. I use Evernote every day – and love it. Penultimate has been handy as well to jot quick notes, make sketches and diagrams, etc. and sync all that information to Evernote. But this update is very disappointing to me and feels, in many ways, like a step backward.

I like the some aspects of the clean crisp interface; it matches the design language of iOS 8 pretty well. I also appreciate all the free papers; that's a nice benefit for premium subscribers.

Unfortunately, the list of dislikes is a bit longer.

• Navigation throughout the app will take some getting used to. It's less than intuitive.
  • I'm no longer able to tell Penultimate where to sync to Evernote. I don't want separate notebooks corresponding to each Penultimate notebook in my Evernote stack.
  • The endlessly-scrolling list metaphor is far less efficient than the previous page-flipping metaphor, especially since the thumbnail view has been removed. Navigating long notebooks is tedious.
  • And the two-finger scrolling? Not a fan.
  • It's not clear how to insert or move pages. Was this feature removed? If so, this is an example of a step backward.
  • Another step backward seems to be the inability to resize inserted photos.

To add insult to injury, the help database wouldn't load; no assistance there, I guess...

• Like 8

Add me to the unhappy list.

How can it be considered better organization, when I can't tell which notebook I'm looking at? I use it for quick sketches, dimensions, and notes when visiting prospective clients.

I might have 20 or 30 active notebooks. I should remember them by the first page?

And the pages are rotated. Not like I drew them.

I like turning pages, not scrolling.

Bad Evernote. No donut.

• Like 9

Wow! I realize "nay-sayers" speak up more than "yea-sayers", but the roar above is amazing.

Did this new version of Penultimate go through a Beta testing phase or has the Evernote Corporation stopped doing betas?

• Like 6

The scary part for me is there is at least one post on this board of someone losing all their notes in the upgrade. For a company that says remember everything forever....that is scary.

• Like 5

This update is awful. I simply can't navigate through my notebooks properly. (Most are 30 pages or more and I need to be able to see the snapshots of the individual pages to find what I am looking for.) The double-finger gesture produces little ink streaks half the time instead of scrolling the page. As someone who writes a lot of notes, Penultimate was my favorite app. In a matter of minutes, Penultimate sank from first to worst. How do I go back to the previous version and get a worthwhile app that I can actually use efficiently??? I want the awesome Penultimate back!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 9

Not much to add! I have uninstalled version 6 from my iPad, then synced the old version back from iTunes, until they do something about these concerns.

• Like 6

This app, pre-update, was easily the best note taking app available. Today's (11/13/14) update took away Penultimate's best features, being able to zoom in anywhere on the page and write at your own pace. You're now forced to write in a specified area of the app when zooming in regardless of you're writing style and forced to write at a set speed. The app pre-update allowed the user to customize everything from where they wanted to position the zoomed in feature and at what speed they wanted to write. The app would even stop scrolling when lifting your stylus. Evernote/Penultimate, please correct these two items.

Penultimate on iOS 8.1 iPad Air

Bob67 - how did you sync with the old version? I desperately need to do this. Thank you in advance for your help.

• Like 2

NO NO NO - what has happened to drift!! Just let me go back to the previous version. What do you think you are doing! and then automatically updating. Unless drift comes back and all the other simple simple features - the very thing that makes it appealing to use - I will be moving to another notetaker as of today. I am so angry!! How can you feel you need to upgrade. Furthermore I'll be cancelling my evernote account. I'm going to the app store now to switch - any recommendations anyone... You guys have really made a mistake here. The appealing thing about Penultimate is it is SO simple and clean and the drift at the sped that you write seemed so unique....

off to the app store - or is it possible to go back to the earlier version?

OK OK You can get the earlier version back - go here 

you guys better get the version updated pretty FAST or you are going to lose SO many customers you won't believe it!!

• Like 7

What an accomplishment!

It takes some real programming skills to take one of the best iPad apps EVER and turn it into a complete *****...

High-fives everyone!

• Like 6

This app, pre-update, was easily the best note taking app available. Today's (11/13/14) update took away Penultimate's best features, being able to zoom in anywhere on the page and write at your own pace. You're now forced to write in a specified area of the app when zooming in regardless of you're writing style and forced to write at a set speed. The app pre-update allowed the user to customize everything from where they wanted to position the zoomed in feature and at what speed they wanted to write. The app would even stop scrolling when lifting your stylus. Evernote/Penultimate, please correct these two items.

Bob67 - how did you sync with the old version? I desperately need to do this. Thank you in advance for your help.

I found how to undo an application update here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4080101?start=0&tstart=0 and it worked for me.
  • Like 1

What an accomplishment!

It takes some real programming skills to take one of the best iPad apps EVER and turn it into a complete *****...

High-fives everyone!

apparently, U cannot use the word T*RD in a post. How about Steaming Pile?

• Like 3

Same reaction. I've used penultimate for a few months now for class notes. This update has made it completely unusable to me. Just copy and paste every comment above this one - this was a terrible set of decisions, guys.

• Like 2

If I've already synced my penultimate notes with Evernote, uninstall the update, and reinstall an older version, will my penultimate notes be recovered when I log into the old version? Please let me know either way. Thanks!

• Like 1

My god, this is bad! Ever since you announced that there would soon be an update to Penultimate, I have been excited, but this "update" takes Penultimate back to the look, feel and horrible experience of inferior handwriting apps years ago. Gone is the drift feature, replaced with what appears to be a speed-writing contest. Gone is the smooth ink flow and -rendering that gave the look and feel of writing with a fountain pen, replaced by jagged, horrible ink and bad alignment with the tip of the Jot Script. 

I had just made the decision to finally nuke Notability from my iPad. Glad I didn't. Please fix all of the issues noted by the other respondents, and quickly! 

• Like 3

I'm not happy with this at all! I don't sync my stuff much, but this update forced me to sign in. Then it proceeded to sync without asking or informing me. I wouldn't have minded except it deleted all my recent notes and restored old crufty ones. How do I get my old notes back? Not all of us spend all of our time in a permanent date of syncing with everything, but when we do we expect syncing to behave properly! And at least to be asked if we want to do it first. Ironically I was considering getting the Adjonit pen but after this experience I may look elsewhere for note taking facilities.

I also seem to have lost all my old notes after the upgrade and being forced to sign in. Is there any way to get these back??

When you are looking at a list of notes you should see a notebook name with a notebook icon and an arrow below it. Tapping on that icon should allow you to see all of your Evernote notebooks that have Penultimate notes in them. My guess is that you can find all of your lost notes there. Also, remember that each note now used to be represented as a skeumorphic notebook. 

If you are still unable to find your lost notes please let us know or file a ticket with support and will do whatever we can to help. Sorry about the confusion. 

My god, this is bad! Ever since you announced that there would soon be an update to Penultimate, I have been excited, but this "update" takes Penultimate back to the look, feel and horrible experience of inferior handwriting apps years ago. Gone is the drift feature, replaced with what appears to be a speed-writing contest. Gone is the smooth ink flow and -rendering that gave the look and feel of writing with a fountain pen, replaced by jagged, horrible ink and bad alignment with the tip of the Jot Script. 

I had just made the decision to finally nuke Notability from my iPad. Glad I didn't. Please fix all of the issues noted by the other respondents, and quickly! 

Bjorn, I just wanted to check to make sure your stylus is connected. In the writing view when the menu is expanded, the stylus icon should be highlighted blue. When you tap it you can reconnect if it gets connected for some reason. Additionally, changing your wrist position often improves the stylus accuracy. Try that and let us know if you have any luck. 

If I've already synced my penultimate notes with Evernote, uninstall the update, and reinstall an older version, will my penultimate notes be recovered when I log into the old version? Please let me know either way. Thanks!

Reinstalling older versions is not recommended. Your notes will not be lost from Evernote if they are fully synced in 6.0. However, some may not be accessible because previous versions did not support access to multiple Evernote notebooks and some new features. 

I hate it for all the reasons everyone mentioned. My only additional recommendation is everyone goes to the App Store a gives it a 1 star review in hopes that puts additional pressure on Evernote to fix it.

We are actively working on many of the issues noted here. No additional pressure needed :)

• Like 2

We are working on some significant improvements for zoom in the next release. Are you unable to reposition the zoom box? You should be able to tap anywhere outside the zoomed area to navigate. If that's not the case let us know. Otherwise, I'm hopeful that coming improvements will meet your needs. 

• Like 1

Wow! I realize "nay-sayers" speak up more than "yea-sayers", but the roar above is amazing.

Did this new version of Penultimate go through a Beta testing phase or has the Evernote Corporation stopped doing betas?

Yes. We did betas. 

I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I hate this update to Penultimate.  I have to 2-finger scroll through my notes now?  I no longer have a "thumbnail" view to use?  So, on a notebook that I've been treating like a journal type notebook, I now have to SCROLL through 40 or 50 pages to find something, instead of being able to use a thumbnail view to jump to a page?  "Pages" are, in fact, gone, since it's one long note now?  Also, the response time to the stylus is MUCH slower and glitchier than it was (rendering handwriting much less legible), and the ERASE feature now doesn't fully erase things, and leaves behind fragments of things that should be erased.  Awful, awful changes.  This used to be like writing in a Notebook, and that's what I loved about it.  I'll now be looking for a new app like Moleskin or something, and finding a way to sync that to my Evernote account.  What a shame.  Who thought these would be good changes?  Awful.  

Tony, are you still seeing poor performance when writing? And is your Jot Script connected? It should have blue rings and a bluetooth icon on the stylus icon if it is. It's rare but sometimes the pen isn't very responsive when syncing for the first time. I'm wondering if that was your case. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I hate this update to Penultimate.  I have to 2-finger scroll through my notes now?  I no longer have a "thumbnail" view to use?  So, on a notebook that I've been treating like a journal type notebook, I now have to SCROLL through 40 or 50 pages to find something, instead of being able to use a thumbnail view to jump to a page?  "Pages" are, in fact, gone, since it's one long note now?  Also, the response time to the stylus is MUCH slower and glitchier than it was (rendering handwriting much less legible), and the ERASE feature now doesn't fully erase things, and leaves behind fragments of things that should be erased.  Awful, awful changes.  This used to be like writing in a Notebook, and that's what I loved about it.  I'll now be looking for a new app like Moleskin or something, and finding a way to sync that to my Evernote account.  What a shame.  Who thought these would be good changes?  Awful.  

Tony, are you still seeing poor performance when writing? And is your Jot Script connected? It should have blue rings and a bluetooth icon on the stylus icon if it is. It's rare but sometimes the pen isn't very responsive when syncing for the first time. I'm wondering if that was your case. Thanks for the feedback.

Terrible update!!! Can not even clear a page!!!!!! I give this upgrade no stars or a F---!!!

• Like 3

Posted this yesterday under another topic but transferring it here, seems most of the feedback for the Evernote team is piling up here...

I've just downloaded the new version and do not understand the interface... I'm quite computer literate thank you, and I've used hundreds of apps but I just don't get how I'm supposed to 'scroll' within the pages. The interface is not intuitive at all, maybe the developers went a little bit too far into making the interface 'clean'. Somestimes it's just handy to have the buttons you need up there. Furthermore: there is no help / support option within the app, or I can't find it within the 'clean'  interface. When I search for Help on the web on the Evernote site, I get support with pictures and instructions for the 'old' interface. I do not get this!?! Get your act together people! Grrrrrrr!

OK I got it now, you're supposed to scroll using 2 fingers. I guess when I opened the new app there was some kind of instruction thing, which I also didn't understand (really, I didn't get if you had to swipe or scroll the instruction and then suddenly it was gone and no way to get it back. Been trying some more things and the interface is annoying me even more:

- Now I need more gestures than I did before to do something: when I want to erase something, I now have to expand the menu first before i can access the eraser.

- The icons look too much alike, it's hard finding the 'eraser on the bottom of a pencil' between the other icons. Why are all icons exactly the same color.

- When you scroll downward, your text is behind the icons, making them even harder to find.

- It's too confusing: sometimes you have to tap and hold to get icons (on the preview screen), sometimes you have to tap inside a big circle to access your notes, within the page you have to use the buttons on the top, but also make gestures...

- IT'S NOT INTUITIVE!!!!! I'm getting all kinds of accidental lines drawn inside my notes because of gestures that aren't recognized.

- How am I supposed to operate the scrolling when using a pen?

I am getting more disappointed by the minute. Please bring back the old interface! This was not a good move on your side, you're killing a perfectly good app this way!

• Like 2

Can I restore to a previous version until these issues are resolved? If so, can you please provide the steps?

• Like 1

Tony, are you still experiencing the issue of the writing being much slower and glitchier? Seems like there may be an issue with that when you first sync. If so it naturally goes away. Have you seen any improvement? Thanks for your feedback. We will take this into account and I hope upcoming releases address some of your issues. 

Your notes are likely still there. All of your pages are now in one continuously scrolling note. All of those notes now are found in an Evernote notebook. If you have notes in other Evernote notebooks you can access them by tapping or pulling down on the notebook icon above the notebook name in the top of the note list. So I'd try scrolling down in notes you can see or browsing those Evernote notebooks for notes that may appear to be lost. I hope that makes sense and I'm sorry for any confusion. 

I tried my Jot stylus, which was really bad before.  It is worse than ever, now.  The ink shows up about 1/4 inch above where I'm actually touching the screen.

Is your stylus connected? Make sure it is turned on and that the stylus icon is illuminated and has a bluetooth icon in it. Also, changing the wrist position in the stylus menu often helps.

I was excited to learn Evernote was going to update Penultimate. I use Evernote every day – and love it. Penultimate has been handy as well to jot quick notes, make sketches and diagrams, etc. and sync all that information to Evernote. But this update is very disappointing to me and feels, in many ways, like a step backward.

I like the some aspects of the clean crisp interface; it matches the design language of iOS 8 pretty well. I also appreciate all the free papers; that's a nice benefit for premium subscribers.

Unfortunately, the list of dislikes is a bit longer.

• Navigation throughout the app will take some getting used to. It's less than intuitive.
  • I'm no longer able to tell Penultimate where to sync to Evernote. I don't want separate notebooks corresponding to each Penultimate notebook in my Evernote stack.
  • The endlessly-scrolling list metaphor is far less efficient than the previous page-flipping metaphor, especially since the thumbnail view has been removed. Navigating long notebooks is tedious.
  • And the two-finger scrolling? Not a fan.
  • It's not clear how to insert or move pages. Was this feature removed? If so, this is an example of a step backward.
  • Another step backward seems to be the inability to resize inserted photos.

To add insult to injury, the help database wouldn't load; no assistance there, I guess...

Jeff

-You can now use any Evernote notebook you'd like. Notes and notebooks now work exactly like they do in Evernote. Inside Penultimate you have notes with multiple pages. All of those are by default in one Evernote notebook called "Penultimate" - exactly like before. 

-You can long press on an image and resize it using two fingers. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Sera all,

The New app is very nice.... but....

Why did u eliminate the "thumbnail" view?

How can I have an overview of my notes without scrolling 50 pages?

AND EVEN WORST.... All my notes are flipped by 90 degress! Basically I cannot read my old notes anymore!!

• Like 1

Sera all,

The New app is very nice.... but....

Why did u eliminate the "thumbnail" view?

How can I have an overview of my notes without scrolling 50 pages?

AND EVEN WORST.... All my notes are flipped by 90 degress! Basically I cannot read my old notes anymore!!

Oh, you have made my day so unhappy. It just updated automatically and I can't do anything I used to

Please bring back the pages and the thumbnails. I used to have books with similar topics in them and I would just use the thumbnail view to find the section and then add more pages where I needed them. Now everything is one big mess and I don't even have the option to move stuff out into a new book. Basically all of my notes are now completely useless to me.

Please bring back the zoom or slow down your new feature - I am not sure anybody can write that much

Bring back pages - I moved to evernote and penultimate to tidy up my life. I now have 'virtual' scraps of paper lying around. I would have loved to have kept the old books and even been able to stack them into similar topics.

Please, please, please allow us a way to get our books bAck they were, or I might as well start all over in a new app. I paid to be a premium member because I loved the integration, this is probably going to drive me else where.

Please, for so many reasons, give us back the old version. I echo the concerns above regarding one speed scrolling, writing engine that fails (unless you like your words turning into Morse Code), one long page like a ticker tape, and more.

What did we do to offend the gods?

Is this just a ploy to sell $77 stylus the size of a small tree?

It doesn't even work with the stylus, in fact it's terrible now. You can't write on the page anymore, you have to zoom in and write in the small box, but that scrolls at a stupid speed so you have to write a few words, pause it, move it along, write a few more etc.....

Why have they changed something that clearly wasn't broke. I spent £65 on a pen that now is useless. Is there any way of going back to V5?! HELP

• Like 1

I agree with all that has been said. I want all the previous functionality etc back. Having said that I see a use for the new interface and never ending page BUT, I'd like to be able to turn this on or off via settings when I want. In other words I'd like the best of the previous version and the new one with the ability to turn on or off or modify behaviour etc as I like. Don't just give one size fits all

Few more things iv noticed:

You now can't change your paper type within a note book?? I someone's do technical drawings on a following page to my notes, now I can't

None of the notebooks have my note book names against them?? I have to go into each note book to se what it is, before it said below the book what it was.

Iv changed my hand position on the app, but it still won't let me write with my stylus without zooming in?? And the scroll speed is stupid, no one can write that fast without it being totally unreadable.

The resolution for the writing is terrible. I can hardly read my notes. Previously it was clean and crisp, now it looks like iv used a leaky pen.

The 2 finger scrolling is terrible. You have to wait for ages for it to recognise your doing it, and whilst your trying you write lines all over your page, which you then have to erase.

Is there no way we can revert back to a previous version?????

I am sorry, but the new version is overall much worse than the old.

I do like the new markers, sync works better, the finer pen is nice.

But, the basic functionality - to write with the stylus - is now working too slow! Terrible performance! Please, give back the speed (not that it was really fast before also), there is just too much lag while writing (iPad 3).

Even if you fix that, I dont think I can go without flipping pages and thumbnails. I wish you would post the old version to appstore...

P.S.: One question for the product manager: Appstore description for this update highlights "smoother writing". You gotta be kidding...

Update is also featured in the appstore under "Best new apps"! Please make it gone from there.

I feel as though you've taken away my moleskin notebooks and slick fountain pen and replaced it with an ancient parchment scroll, a feather, and some blueberry juice.

By completely changing the metaphor, you've asked me to change the way that I work and given me inferior tools to do it with.

Is it possible for the interface to have 2 different views,  Ancient Biblical Parchment Scroll View, and Hemingway Modern Notebook View?

At least this would give us a choice and allow us to gently test out a time when people had to roll two whalebones furiously to get to page 65 of their hieroglyphic children's novel that they were writing and illustrating.  You know, the one where the writer gets blindsided by the invention of the square wheel and has to figure out how he's going to transfer all of his work to another application?

Disappointing that this wasn't an opt in, and that now I have to figure out how to get all of my work out of the program.

Oh, and the two finger scrolling doesn't work.  I'm constantly leaving marks on the paper.  Put a stinking hand icon back at the top and let me tap it.  That's one hieroglyph I do understand.

Best of luck...

• Like 1

PLEASE!! SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO REVERT BACK TO THE OLD VERSION! THIS UPDATE CAME RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF PREP FOR A MIDTERM TODAY AND ITS A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I HATE the new format!!!!!!!!!!!! I have used this for work to write my orders since penultimate has come out and to have to scroll through my pages with 2 fingers is ridiculous!! I can't even find where the email function is to email any of my orders in. Please bring the old back!!! I'm going to be forced to find another app that does what I need it to do!! Some things that aren't broke don't need to be fixed!!!!! Ugh!!!

• Like 2

Ok, so my first post was a little hectic as I have been trying to find a way to alleviate this problem. Let me begin by saying I am an avid user and PREACHER of Evernote. I managed a small company and completely transformed their output and efficiency by introducing Evernote into the day to day operations. I also use it to manage all of my work for school. When I became aware of penultimate and the jot script I immediately tossed my notebooks. I have professors taking lessons from me and putting all of their notes together with Evernote and running out to buy iPads, as I'm also an apple fan. Just a week ago I was destroying a surface user with his horrible stylus and even worse note taking app! NOW I AM IN THE SAME BOAT!!!

No one wants to write on an iPad Mini without the amazing zoom function that was once apart of your app! MONTHS OF NOTES HAVE JUST BEEN RENDERED USELESS!!! My stylus would smoothly sail across the screen slowing down or speeding up at the pace I was writing, BY ITSELF!!!! Now I have to keep up with this horrendous speed and play/pause it as I go along??? WHAT KIND OF BACKWARDS THINKING WAS INVOLVED HERE?? I would avoid having to write with my hand at the bottom of the page because it was uncomfortable and if I had my iPad upright I would accidentally press the home button, annoying me. NOW THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO WRITE WHILE ZOOMED IN. Also, I used to write too fast sometimes and make something too sloppy to read and I would quickly tap the back arrow. I would sometimes miss and add a dot to my page and have to tap it twice. NOW if I miss it Im dragged up a page and a half. NOT HAPPY WITH THE SCROLLING PAGES! The point is to resemble a REAL NOTEBOOK, who walks around with a thousand foot long piece of paper? I am a 27 year old combat veteran, I CAN HANDLE TURNING THE PAGE. I can add a quick little title at the top and when referencing pages know what I was continuing on. I was so happy at first to see the 1pt width, and quickly filled with rage to find out that it doesn't matter that this would be the ONLY change of the new ones I would make, but that the stylus that worked very good now feels like it has some sort of shotty connection with my iPad, and disconnects whenever I leave the app!! I had to stop using the app for the safety of my iPad. 

How could an application, a company that has so much tremendous success on the back of efficiency take such a huge leap back??? I use Evernote for EVERYTHING, from my groceries to my children's paperwork, EVERYTHING. I WILL NOT compromise my integrity by using this application, all of it, unless this is fixed SWIFTLY. I purchased the jot script recently and had it shipped to me quickly at an additional price, spending around $100. I WILL NOT USE ANY OF THIS, I have a $100 PAPERWEIGHT. PLEASE REVERT TO THE OLD VERSION, MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD, SOMETHING. I have brought Evernote a company and maybe 20-30 premium users, without the points I would get, SOLEY because it was good enough. That was my motivation, because you WERE good, I needed no incentive!! I now have an incentive to campaign as passionately against your applications and products. INTEGRITY EVERNOTE! FIX THIS!!!!

I made this profile JUST FOR THIS ONE THING!! 

• Like 4

I tried my Jot stylus, which was really bad before.  It is worse than ever, now.  The ink shows up about 1/4 inch above where I'm actually touching the screen.

Is your stylus connected? Make sure it is turned on and that the stylus icon is illuminated and has a bluetooth icon in it. Also, changing the wrist position in the stylus menu often helps.
Peabodyblue, I've had very similar frustrations with my Evernote Jot Script. I'm now on my second one and thought I was done with never ending problems. Since the new release of Penultimate I went in to add to one of my notebooks and had the same issue you're describing. It made the app worthless and extremely frustrating. I did find that adding a new notebook seemed to resolve the issue, just don't add to previous notebooks. Hopefully it works for you as a short term fix.

Josh, I'm sure the Evernote team is working on it, so I'll stick around for the next update to hopefully fix this along with many other disappointing aspects of the new release. Other than bug issues, the biggest feature change that I find extremely dissatisfying is the scrolling pages over turning pages. My notebooks tend to have many pages that I need to look back through and now it's extremely time consuming to navigate my notebooks. Honestly it's one of the reasons I rarely look at my notebooks in Evernote, because it has a similar scrolling format. Two questions I have if you are able to address 1) Roughly when can we expect a new release to address bugs/feature changes many users have complained about? 2) Are there any plans to work towards handwriting to text within the Penultimate App?

I admit I'm also really disappointed by this update, mostly on the following points :

1°/ Recognition went bad. I'm not using a Jot stylus, I'm using 3 different other stylus. They worked good before the update. No longer.

There is a longer lag between the moment the stylus touch the surface and the moment it starts drawing. It's not much, but enough to make it go awry. For info, I have an iPad Air. This is not the latest generation but I guess it should have enough horsepower to handle this...

2°/ Bad UI Combo between zoom and Top buttons.

When I want to touch a small icon, I frequently move the zoom window. This drives me mad. Like 1/10 of the time, I switch between eraser and pencil but it moves my window. This zoom box is a false good idea.

3°/ Pictures are too easily selected. If you want to erase some text you wrote over a picture, half the time you will select the picture.

Overall, it requires a couple of hours to get into the new penultimate. It's not that bad for the overall UI. But please, downgrading recognition is a deal breaker. I was about to buy a Jot stylus just before this release, it seems I'll wait until you deal with this.

first uncheck auto update in your iPad settings. Then check on your iTunes you still have the older version of penultimate. Then delete the new penultimate on your iPad. Then dock with iTunes and select to reload, the old penultimate app onto your iPad. Your old notebooks from before are there and you can continue to use the old version of Penultimate until they work all hours to fix up the new one or simple jettison the upgrade....

• Like 3

New version is a disaster:

• I've taken most notes in landscape, not portrait. There's no way for me to look at these without it being 90 degrees off.
  • Scrolling through a notebook instead of thumbnails is a nightmare. My notebooks are large, and I can't find things.

Basically, my old notes are now rendered unusable.

• Like 3

i feel so dumb for not thinking of this! so used to apple keeping up with each other, haha and I'm a bit fried. GOOD RIDDANCE! FIX THIS EVERNOTE! 

• Like 1

Clearly there are many passionate users and advocates of Penultimate, and I would include myself as one of them.  Having said that I am in total agreement with the comments that is a poorly thought out upgrade.

My issues have been raised before but need to be repeated.
  1. Many of my notes were written in landscape and I am now unable to read them effectively.  How can we rotate them?
  2. It is difficult to organise the notes without the thumbview.
  3. How do we now move and insert pages?  Has this feature been removed?
  4. The speed at which the app believes we can write is unrealistic and impractical.  The older version appeared to be working just fine.
  5. There are too many buttons at the top of the screen.
  6. The simple access to the undo option was appreciated in the earlier version.  Now we have a two step undo procedure that has complicated the process.
Overall I am disappointed that you have made my work files so difficult to access.  During a period of particularly pressing work you have managed to negatively impact on my working life.  In the past the pleasure of working with Penultimate and Evernote was that they made my work life easier.  The fact that I have spent an afternoon seeking solutions and giving you feedback does frustrate me immensely and reflects poorly on your product.

I wish you the best in trying to rectify the problems and will take a passing interest in how you resolve them.  However, my priority now is to find a solution or a product to replace Penultimate.

PS  Thank you to Joshua Taylor for responding so professional and promptly to so many aggravated users.  He has maintained an upbeat manner which I have appreciated.  I am sure that he will be getting a little tired soon.
  • Like 1

I also create a profile just to react on this.

Please let us downgrade to the previous version!

Other disturbing issues I found:

- When you delete a notebook in Penultimate (because it has no Penultimate-notes anymore) the notebook is deleted from Evernote as well! Although it has regular Evernote-notes in there.

- It is not possible anymore to have multiple paper formats in 1 note.

- It is not possible to add a new note into an existing notebook.

And as previously commented: where is the drift option, what made writing on an iPad Mini worthwile?

• Like 1

Please... make Version 5.3.1 available for download on the App Store until the issues are resolved... some of us backup our devices on iCloud and there is no way to revert back to a previous version that way (lesson learned...).
Thank you

• Like 4

I do not like the look of the handwriting in version 6.0 compared to the previous version. This is a big problem for me. It used to be really good but now it just isn't.

The pen width translates wrongly between the box and the final page. This makes it difficult to write well.

There is no resize or positioning of photos that are imported. This makes the feature almost useless.

I cannot export to other apps or email a note. This is a real problem.

I can't write on the page in landscape format.

The biggest problem, though, is the look of the handwriting. This may lead to me looking for another note taking app. Penultimate used to beat them all because of the look of the written notes. Now, I suspect that my no longer be true.

Is there anything I can do to go back to the previous version?

• Like 1

And did you had one single Beta Tester happy?

Please, review your Usability and Beta Test teams!!!!

What a HUGE mistake. The biggest App mistake in history.

This is one of the worst "upgrades" I've ever experienced.  I liked having the notebook covers (I have about 15 notebooks) and the ability to turn pages w/o having to scroll.  

Given the way I work and have used this app, it's become virtually unworkable for me.  

• Like 1

I agree unless I am missing something with this new update I am looking for a new app. This is awful!!

I WOULD SAY THAT AWFULL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.!!  This latest update completely F**ckedUp an important customer meeting due to the fact that I didn't have time enough to figure out how to deal with the new user interface..  This is the most customer unfriendly / ugly @#$%, update of any piece of software I have ever experienced (in my 35+ years of IT professional)

• Like 4

I would also like to add my voice to those despairing at this new update.

I have used Evernote daily for several years and it has been brilliant. This version is sadly not.

In addition to all the points raised above (lack of ability to write easily anywhere on screen, poor drift function, poor writing quality, lack of pages and thumbnail scrolling), I would lik to add that the removal of the automatic naming of notes with my location and calendar entry is a big issue for me. This was a fantastic feature that allowed me to easily see when and where I had written my notes. I now have to go back to individually writing a title for each one. Big step back.

I really cannot see the logic in removing the page turning feature. Just seems crazy.

I really don't want to move away from Penultimate as it has been a great app, but if you can't sort these things out and get back to a usable product, then I also will have to look at alternatives.

A real shame.

• Like 2

I made this account so I could post this as I am, hopefully understandably, freaking out a bit and apologize for, essentially, hitting support on two fronts.

My iPad is set to automatically update apps. Up until now this has been a wonderful feature to use. When I launched the latest version of Penultimate my heart dropped:

1. It appears that to use Penultimate I am required to have an Evernote account and to be logged in. Beyond the recommendation from Apple NOT to make apps this way (see WWDC videos), I don't use Evernote itself and have been using Penultimate since prior to the acquisition.

2. When I logged in (created an account) all of my notepads (9+) and notes for the past couple of years are gone with no apparent way to retrieve them.

Am I just out of luck?

Please help as I have really appreciated not having to lug around composition books as I did for years prior to the iPad and Penultimate.

Related support ticket number: 818638

I can't speak on the topics/complaints made so far in this thread as I have not been able to move beyond the fact that my notebooks are gone...
  • Like 1

Just awful, Evernote. Others have detailed all that is wrong with the new version. Please mark me down as an unhappy customer. I'm going back to paper.

• Like 1

I can't use the new version. I can't connect my Jot Script and the Jot Pro can't produce curves properly in this version.

I was lucky enough to have an iPad which was not set to update automatically.

Synced this iPad with iTunes, removed Penultimate 6 from my iPad Mini and added Penultimate 5.3.1.

All notebooks are still available!!!

• Like 1

If there's one consolation, at least Evernote now know how passionately people feel about their products...

• Like 1

I have used this app to replace my moleskine notebooks with the jot script pen, I loved that I could look at the pages without having to scroll through them and since the update I cannot. I also was able to use the pen with little issues and read it later, now it isn't as accurate and does not erase effectively. Is there a way I could downgrade to the last update? 

This video of a presentation by Ben Zotto would be extremely educational for the current Penultimate team:

• Like 5

I hate it for all the reasons everyone mentioned. My only additional recommendation is everyone goes to the App Store a gives it a 1 star review in hopes that puts additional pressure on Evernote to fix it.

We are actively working on many of the issues noted here. No additional pressure needed :)

I think we are all looking forward to the result, thank you :)

One thing I wanted to point out - in several places you (or others, don't remember) have said that the future version of the zoom will have a bigger, more customizable box. However it sounds like most users (including me) don't want a box at all, as this leaves a lot less room to write. That's a big issue on iPad minis and the previous zoom-in feature was one of the reasons why penultimate was so much better than most writing apps, one of the reasons why I didn't use notability.

• Like 2

HORRIBLE!

What on earth have you done?  You took away page thumbnails and single page viewing (left/right)?  Scrolling in a notebook makes zero sense and is completely wrong.  Did you not get any feedback on this "upgrade" before you did this?  Holy cow.  Put the old version back.  Oh my gosh.  Prove that you are not deaf to your customers and make the old version available while you sort out the absolute mess you have created.

• Like 3

I'm not generally one to post a comment about anything, on any site, for any reason. But this Penultimate 6.0 is so bad that I feel compelled to join the chorus of negative posts.

First, the good: I like the clean-line design, and find it to be visually pleasing. And, the new icon is a nice update. The improved integration with Evernote is a good addition as well.

Now, the rest: I won't be able to use Penultimate until (if and when) the extremely poor functionality issues are corrected. Until the (auto) update yesterday, I have used an Evernote edition Adonit Jot Script. The pairing was easy, and the indicator of pairing is graphically pleasing.  But the Jot Script function is now extremely poor in comparison to the pre-6.0 version.  The responsiveness I had grown used to is simply not there.

The lack of responsiveness of the Jot Script may be, at least in part, a result of the new zoom writing box moving at a single, break-neck pace. As others in the forum, I find it very difficult to keep up with the speed of the zoom box while keeping the Jot Script responsive to loops, dots, etc.

The zoom writing box is either moving (again, at break-neck pace) or it is not. In my experience, "real world" note taking generally does not occur at a uniform speed.  I typically slow down or speed up my writing as I pause to think or listen.  The previous drift function of the zoom box was fantastic for this real world use.  In the current version, not only does the zoom box not slow with slowed writing, but the user must actually press an on-screen pause/play button to get the zoom box to stop. This pause/play button interferes with the writing experience immensely. 

I have tried writing on the plain sheet, without the use of the zoom box that I have so enjoyed, and found that my Jot Script was not as responsive there as it was in the previous version.  And yes, it was connected.

The line weights are not quite right. In my opinion, the "01" weight is too thin, and the "02" is too thick--at least for my writing and compared to the previous version.

Sad to say, but after experimenting with the update last night, I left my Jot Script at home this morning.  First time in almost a year that I didn't take it to work.  That is sad, as is my conclusion that I will not be using Penultimate until this disaster of an update is overhauled.

Evernote Team--I'm really surprised--and I think many of my fellow commenters are surprised as well.  This update is not typical of what I have come to know, love, and expect from Evernote.  I'm sure you are getting the message--just don't delay in addressing these issues.  Good luck.

• Like 3

Just to join the chorus: I use penultimate almost daily, have large notes with many 10s of pages... or at least I used to. Now they are long stripes of "paper" where it is impossible to jump from one place to another has become impossible. Plus of course, since I had the strange idea of writing in landscape, now they have become unusable because they are all rotated 90 degrees.

Seriously, people... did you not realize landscape mode would basically stop working? Did you not realize people were using the thumbnail view you had put in there in the first place? Did you not realize that if single pages have replaced continuous scrolls of pages at some point in the middle age, perhaps, but perhaps there was some reason, or at the very least, perhaps people have their brain trained that way and their habits formed accordingly? And, since you used that same paradigm until yesterday, perhaps people had at the very least organized their notes accordingly and they might really NOT like you changing the whole principle under their feet?

I think I have never seen an app passing from so useful to so useless in a single update.

• Like 2

I too created a profile just to voice my dissatisfaction with this update as it completely rendered my most important tool useless.  Evernote, take notice that the pain in this change was great enough to get people who do not post to forums to now do so.  This version is so bad, that I have a hard time believing that the development team of Penultimate was in agreement that this version was ready for prime time and that all the changes were good.  If they were all in agreement, then there were people who were afraid to speak up and were developing a product to fulfill goals of management and not a product that meets the needs and goals of your customers.  This is possibly a symptom of some serious systemic problems from within Evernote because the goals set by the management of a product development team are derived from your customers.  Judging by the overwhelming feedback both in the Penultimate forums and the iTunes store reviews that you guys clearly are not listening to your customers.  This makes me think that there are those at Evernote who think that they understand their customer needs better than their customers, so now we will give you what we think you need.  This is now the Pontiac Aztec of note taking apps, because what I see here reminds me of the story surrounding that car.  It is a great story in product development failure and a cautionary tale of when products are made to meet the expectation of management when the goals and expectation of management are not in line with your customer base.  

I am not new to Penultimate but I am new to the Evernote ecosystem as I've been starting to experiment and explore more with the application.  Since Penultimate is my conduit into the Evernote ecosystem, I don't want to waste my time give this disasterous roll out.  I've only had a premium membership for a month and I'll now cancel the renewal and check back in the future to see if improvements have been made.  My advice, fix the disconnect with your customers that you clearly have now uncovered and fix your product.  If necessary, pull this version and revert to the previous version or you risk loosing more customers.  

I have been involved in IT/Technology/Software for a long time, and this is one of the worst upgrade messes I have ever seen.  The product is now completely unusable...to the point I am looking for a replacement app right now.  How can anyone think this upgrade was a good idea?  Most disturbing is the apparent lack of response from anyone with Evernote...(I didn't seen any responses from the threads I looked at).

What a mess!!

• Like 2

Evernote/Penultimate Team,

Coca-Cola made a similar ill-conceived product release 30 years ago that infuriated a fiercely loyal consumer base.  Learn from them:  take your lumps, release Penultimate Classic, move on.

• Like 5

What do I think??

I'm pissed! I use penultimate everyday like a notebook instead of paper.

Came in to the office this am to try to take some note and am confronted with this totally unusable update.

How do I reverrt to version 5?

Penultimate....not so much!

• Like 1

I seriously never take the time to comment on forums, but I just had to for this one. You guys failed miserably on this update! I echo the sentiments of nearly everyone who has commented previously. Roll back this update ASAP!

This video of a presentation by Ben Zotto would be extremely educational for the current Penultimate team:

Of special note is 15:10 in the video where Ben discusses the decision to NOT include the ability to scroll through long pages, instead of using the multiple page notebook design.

Why, then, the decision to do so with this newest version of the APP?  Going away from the roots of the original design was a bad, bad idea.

• Like 1

The new app looks much nicer but is very difficult to use. The main problems for me are:

- No thumbnails of pages

- No titles displayed for the different notebooks

- More taps required for basic functions (pen, undo and erase)

- Scroll speed is poorly calibrated to my writing pace.

Unfortunately the changes Evernote have made have so damaged the core functionality of the app that it is now significantly worse than many competitive writing apps. The above four issues (except perhaps the "more taps required" issue) should have shown up in beta testing. If they did not, Evernote needs to expand it's collection of beta testers, making sure that it includes people who use the app for its core function (handwriting lots of notes) on a regular basis.

I understand that there will be teething problems with app updates, but this is a huge change---it feels like a beta version of a writing app---one that I would quickly delete in favour of the old penultimate if that were possible.

Fortunately, it has made me realise how vulnerable I have made myself by putting so much of my professional work into Penultimate and Evernote. The developers can alter these apps on a whim, with very little beta testing by core users, and there is little we can do about it. Back to pen and paper for me.

• Like 1

To the other users like myself who find this unusable: what are your recommendations for other ipad writing apps to consider? Appreciate the help.

A stand alone app is likely the way to go. Being an R&D person, it is clear to me that the Pentultimate approach is being destroyed as we know it so it "works like" Evernote. I (we) don't want it to and this will likely be the core issue...unless they capitulate openly, and soon enough. I doubt if they (Evernote) will capitulate as they as the big bosses are an Evernote team, not a Pentultimate team. They will smugly be ok with losing Pentultimate core users with the promise of a new future (they hope). It will take them a long while to figure out the right vs wrong approach.

Net, we need to find a new app for ourselves. What is your recco for a writing app to consider?

To the other users like myself who find this unusable: what are your recommendations for other ipad writing apps to consider? Appreciate the help.

A stand alone app is likely the way to go. Being an R&D person, it is clear to me that the Pentultimate approach is being destroyed as we know it so it "works like" Evernote. I (we) don't want it to and this will likely be the core issue...unless they capitulate openly, and soon enough. I doubt if they (Evernote) will capitulate as they as the big bosses are an Evernote team, not a Pentultimate team. They will smugly be ok with losing Pentultimate core users with the promise of a new future (they hope). It will take them a long while to figure out the right vs wrong approach.

Net, we need to find a new app for ourselves. What is your recco for a writing app to consider?

I'm trying out the Bamboo paper note taking app. It's the closest thing I've found so far to the old version of Penultimate. I won't use Penultimate again unless the update is reverted.

90 degree rotated landscape notes - no way to put them right

No names under icons

No separate pages

No way

I think it's time I moved on - meeting notes for the last 18 months gone but can't face the new layout.

Anybody suggest an alternative that looks and works the way Penultimate used to ?

• Like 1

I finally gave up on there ever being a version of Penultimate released for Android and reluctantly made the switch to Apple.  I literally became an iPad user for this app.  I was in love with this app and had just started increasing it's prevalence in my day to day workflow.  I was in serious consideration to upgrade to a Premium account and was growing increasingly more excited about having my wife purchase me the Evernote Jot stylus for Christmas.  Not now.  Now, I am desperately trying to get a replacement app settled into place to make my switch to the iPad still worthwhile.  (I've grown to admire the iPad, I just hate that the reason I switched has be rendered useless now.)

I can second the idea above for the Bamboo Paper app.  So far, it's the closest thing to the "glory days" of Penultimate.

Evernote team, thank you for the reassurance that the bugs are being worked out.  However, based on what I'm reading, it seems as though the vast majority of users don't want the bugs fixed.  WE WANT THE OLD VERSION BACK.

• Like 1

I too have used Bamboo paper in the past and have gone between Penultimate and Bamboo.  Yes it is the closest to what Penultimate was, yet I haven't extensively tested a lot of apps.  I switched back to Penultimate for the seamless backup and Bamboo's wrist protection actually got worse with an update but this was a year or so ago.  They have made updates since and will now be considering switching back.  I successfully reverted back to the previous penultimate and turned off automatic updates but still the risk is there that I will inadvertently update as other app updates come in.  I will also be checking out GoodNotes as many coworkers recommend.