Penultimate 6.0 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the all-new Penultimate app was released today. Penultimate 6.0 is a complete redesign of the best digital handwriting app on iPad. Version 6.0 is focused around smoother writing and better organization.

Included in Penultimate 6.0:

• New UI for focused writing
  • Write in full screen and keep writing without stopping to add new pages. Use two fingers to scroll up and down notes.
  • Create new notes, and access different kinds of paper, more quickly
  • New highlighting tool
  • Improved connection process, writing quality, and accuracy for the Jot Script stylus
  • More powerful search
  • View by default all Evernote notebooks that contain Penultimate notes
  • Access and add notes to your Evernote notebooks, including business notebooks
  • View your Penultimate notes in Evernote

Let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store. You can purchase the Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus by Adonit in the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evernote Penultimate update, well done Evernote you succeeded in losing hundreds of customers with one update.

Like many others with physical impairments, being able to use Penultimate in it's previous format was an absolute boon. Now, in its current format it's absolutely useless. I don't need to list all the problems because I can see that many, many former users have done it for me, and they are just the ones who had time to find the forum.

Come on Evernote show that you're not just a faceless company, listen to what your customers actually want and restore what was once a fantastic app, one that played a large part in assistive technology. Obviously if you want to keep the pretty stuff, that's fine change the colour of the notebooks but we need pages we can turn, and we need to be able to write on those pages IN ZOOM with our fingers because many of us cannot hold a stylus or pen.

As far as I can tell, Bamboo Paper does not support the Adonis Jot Script - Evernote Edition pen though if you already had one of those for penultimate.

I was able to use the Jot Script to write but it's not actually connected to the app like it was in Penultimate. I was not ablate get the app to connect to the pen. 

I have to add my voice to all the complaints about the new version. It really is terrible. This is not what I signed up for. I have tried going through my old notes and finding ithis new version very difficult to navigate. It is not intuitive at all. Also not impressed there was no advance warning within the tool that such a major change in useability was being deployed. I use this tool for work and need access to the old version urgently. If that is not possible I'll be cancelling my subscription.

I am a Penultimate fiend and expert user. I have more than 150 notes on my iPad and in Evernote. 

I upgraded today and I wish I hadn't. 

The app is utterly unusable and some of the great features that used to make Penultimate so great are gone: two finger zoom is not working, and panning is dysfunctional.

I am very unhappy, I hope you will fix this soon. 

I also used the Evernote Jot Script and it worked beautifully until I upgraded now it doesn't. 

Very disappointing.

What a shock to find my 15 notebooks with 100s of pages turned into 15 notes!

Bye, bye, Penultimate.

I tried Bamboo Paper and Noteshelf. Noteshelf it is!

I am using the Bamboo Fineliner stylus which worked perfectly in penultimate 5, although it was not officially supported. In the update it did not work anymore.

For those interested: The Bamboo Fineliner works even better in Noteshelf than in the Bamboo Paper App.

I have registered solely for the purpose of adding to the chorus of dismay. It is apparant both that this product is significantly inferior to its predecessor (expensive stylus worked perfectly prior to upgrade but is horrible now) and that Evernote had no concept of how penultimate users used the app. No thumbnails? What the....? No pages - you have got to be kidding. This was my single most important business tool. It is now useless to me. I am new to Evernote and could not be less impressed. Either revert to the prior version or fix this prior to Monday or I am lost to you.

To the other users like myself who find this unusable: what are your recommendations for other ipad writing apps to consider? Appreciate the help.

A stand alone app is likely the way to go. Being an R&D person, it is clear to me that the Pentultimate approach is being destroyed as we know it so it "works like" Evernote. I (we) don't want it to and this will likely be the core issue...unless they capitulate openly, and soon enough. I doubt if they (Evernote) will capitulate as they as the big bosses are an Evernote team, not a Pentultimate team. They will smugly be ok with losing Pentultimate core users with the promise of a new future (they hope). It will take them a long while to figure out the right vs wrong approach.

Net, we need to find a new app for ourselves. What is your recco for a writing app to consider?

Here's the response I got from Twitter ..... They are " sending critical feedback to developers and product managers": bad news. PM's and Developers will have will either convince management to stick it out, or do say oopsie and undo their own bold work :(

Steve Moore

@St50moore

Ugh, can not scroll between pages in new Pentultimate 6.0.. Fix now I can not get back to previous notes @penultimateapp - 13 Nov

More Tweets

Steve Moore

@St50moore

Are you going to go back to thumbnails and page flips? Or are we stuck with the disaster of scrolling? @evernotehelps: @St50moore Thank you. - 14 Nov

Evernote Helps

@evernotehelps

Follow Follow

@St50moore I've passed your feedback and suggestions along to our devs and PMs. Thank you.

Either revert to the prior version or fix this prior to Monday or I am lost to you.

As an app developer myself I can say that Apple's app review process takes an average of 5 days. Therefore, I think chances of an update (even just resubmission of the 5.0 code as 6.0.1) being available by Monday is slim; not because of Evernote.

I am sorry but I have to agree with the other users the update has rendered a product that I was using every day for work useless! The stylus does not works as before it's far less accurate. so after working with this application for nearly a year I will have to go back and use pen and paper. 

I would like to see some improvements soon! 

Feel like I had my legs cut out from under me today.  Had been using Penultimate for all my business notes, now it feels like 2 yrs of them are GONE.  Yes they are still there, but in an unrecognizable form and function.  Will be looking for a different app if I can't:

1. use landscape mode
  2. have some way to navigate notebooks other than scrolling individual pages, something like previous pages with thumbnails

Either revert to the prior version or fix this prior to Monday or I am lost to you.

As an app developer myself I can say that Apple's app review process takes an average of 5 days. Therefore, I think chances of an update (even just resubmission of the 5.0 code as 6.0.1) being available by Monday is slim; not because of Evernote.

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like I'll be spending the weekend looking for a new writing app.

I like the appearance of this edition and the 1pt writing tip.  Works well with the Jot Script.  However, the Drift function is MISERABLE compared to last version.  Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, it only goes one speed.  It does not vary with writing speed and is difficult to keep up with the pace.

I agree - the MAIN reason I have ditched paper entirely at work and pretty much everywhere else is because of the intuitiveness of the drift function. I have the Jot Script, and I actually thought mine was broken because of the up-responsiveness of it to the app. I tried out Bamboo Paper with the Jot Script, and it works perfectly... Since the update, I pretty much have abandon using Penultimate altogether because there is no way to be anywhere near as efficient in meetings and my usual notes...

Love the layout, but PLEASE bring back the drift, and please make this part of my daily life again!

The new app looks much nicer but is very difficult to use. The main problems for me are:

- No thumbnails of pages

- No titles displayed for the different notebooks

- More taps required for basic functions (pen, undo and erase)

- Scroll speed is poorly calibrated to my writing pace.

Unfortunately the changes Evernote have made have so damaged the core functionality of the app that it is now significantly worse than many competitive writing apps. The above four issues (except perhaps the "more taps required" issue) should have shown up in beta testing. If they did not, Evernote needs to expand it's collection of beta testers, making sure that it includes people who use the app for its core function (handwriting lots of notes) on a regular basis.

I understand that there will be teething problems with app updates, but this is a huge change---it feels like a beta version of a writing app---one that I would quickly delete in favour of the old penultimate if that were possible.

Fortunately, it has made me realise how vulnerable I have made myself by putting so much of my professional work into Penultimate and Evernote. The developers can alter these apps on a whim, with very little beta testing by core users, and there is little we can do about it. Back to pen and paper for me.

Submitted a bug about my notebooks being turned into notes yesterday...have heard nothing.

Agreed, with others: this is a horrible update. I've been a heavy Penultimate user for about two years:

- My Jot Script Evernote Edition that I LOVE feels broken now in Penultimate. I had to test it in other note taking apps to be sure I wasn't crazy. It works. Penultimate doesn't.

- All 9 of my notebooks are gone. They're now infinite scrolling notes. This is horrible. I can no longer easily find the pages from my notes that I needed by looking at thumbnails.

- Giant circles as notebook representations? Paper's UX here is better: allow the user to define a color/pattern for the notebook for easier visual scanning. This just makes it harder and wastes space. 

- Supposedly it's a "feature" that the pen width you save also saves the color you were using in it? The resulting UX is that it feels buggy: I change to a new color, then I change pen widths, and the color changes to something else. That's not what I expect to happen at all as a user. This happened in the old version and felt like a bug. Was surprised to see this still here. 

The new writing functionality is terribly broken:

- The old zoom/advance feature was wonderful! I could two-finger zoom in and have it actually move at the speed of my writing. It was beautiful and easily my favorite feature of Penultimate. It got me using the app more. Now it's gone. The new constant scrolling speed on the zoom window is not useful at all. Too fast, and no advancement button nearby?

- The zoom window RANDOMLY JUMPS to the upper left corner of the page WHILE I'M WRITING IN IT. Every time.

- I have to tap three or four times all over the screen to move the zoom window just to advance it over and continue writing. I kept thinking the app was about to crash because of the lack of response.

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by an app update. Penultimate was by far one of my top three most-used apps, and now it's virtually unusable. I've had to scramble to find a suitable replacement (Notes Plus...won't replace all the old functionality I liked and the old Penultimate's easy UX, but it has some.)

Upgraded to new upgrade; opened it and NONE of my notebooks from the older version are visible / available. I had a 92 page notebook of drawings for a grief project... and it cannot be found. Is it 'lost' forever? If so, that is very very disappointing. Any way to retrieve?

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like I'll be spending the weekend looking for a new writing app.

My enquires have led me to settle on Noteshelf.  Similar to the old penultimate, not identical, but workable.  Even utilises the adonit Jot Script.  Can access (cough) Evernote.  bye bye Penultimate.  I did like you.

As other members I took the time to login in and post something just because it is so bad!

How can you seriously release such a crappy update? Is it an April 1st joke? Too early then.

Thousands of users now stuck and wasting their time to rescue what can be rescued ...

You cannot possibly address all the issues mentioned on the forum in a reasonable time frame so

Bring back the old version asap please.

I used to use this every day. Now it has auto update to a complete pile of trash. Whoever signed off on this garbage needs to be fired!! A co.pletely new app that messes with people's data with NO warning, inquiry if we wanted it, test drive, nothing. It is garbage and the way it was rolled out is beyond horrid. It has soured me on both Evernote and Penultimate. Throw this garbage out and bring back the app that actually worked. What a horrible horrible blunder. Seriously, fire someone. No, fire a bunch of people. If I can't go back I am done with both evernote and penultimate.

As a premium member, I have to say, I paid my dues to the evernote team precisely because I had at last found a way to create, read, sort, and edit my handwritten notes. The new penultimate is making me rethink my premium subscription. The fix will not come by 'going forward' but will really only be fixed by going back to the version I had two days ago. I will likely wait over the weekend and use another app in the meantime. After that, if they haven't fixed it, I'll just cancel my premium membership. On every count, the older version was better. The thumbnails, the single pages, the zoom feature, the scroll speed, the interface, the way that writing was captured, the pen responsiveness, the pen and erase features.... Even the new look shows off the cold soullessness that went into making this new version. Perhaps some recently fired Microsoft project managers landed in your office? We'll send them packing once more. And give us the option to roll back to the old version. The clock is ticking.

Thanks evernote for the reminder that cloud updates can ruin all my historical notes by taking all the control out of my hands and giving it, apparently, to a group of people I should never have trusted in the first place. Likely this was the first in a long line of steps towards mediocrity.

Edit: I should say that I have never commented before on any such evernote forum, but I was a loyal word of mouth proselytizer. Never again. I had to sign up just to tell you how fundamentally you screwed up with this.

Evernote/Penultimate Team,

Coca-Cola made a similar ill-conceived product release 30 years ago that infuriated a fiercely loyal consumer base.  Learn from them:  take your lumps, release Penultimate Classic, move on.

Great idea! Bring on Penultimate Classic.

One point I notice from reading through the comments is how many people have registered to make strong observations about the upgrade. Look at the number of people, like me, with one and two posts.

first uncheck auto update in your iPad settings. Then check on your iTunes you still have the older version of penultimate. Then delete the new penultimate on your iPad. Then dock with iTunes and select to reload, the old penultimate app onto your iPad. Your old notebooks from before are there and you can continue to use the old version of Penultimate until they work all hours to fix up the new one or simple jettison the upgrade....

This works. Did this last night. All is right again in the world. If you can't figure it out, there is a YouTube video how to revert an app to its previous version. Whatever you do, do not update the app on your pc. If you do update the app on your pic, you won't be able to go back to the old Penultimate.

Add me to the (VERY) unhappy list!

I loved penultimate 5, but this new version does not meet my needs at all!

- no thumbnail view

- dumb drift at a single, very high speed

- poor handwriting recognition leaving scattered marks, not a legible script

- single, continuous page is a bad idea - this is supposed to be a notebook, not a toilet paper

The design team has seriously been out of touch of the customers, and the real use of the product. Please bring back the old, and think this thing through again from scratch!

I've been waiting for improvements to penultimate for some time. Sadly, this is a really backward step and I now find it u useable. Rather than repeat what others have said in great detail, just look at other threads in this forum.

I have no option but to consider other apps. I've already deleted penultimate. Goodnotes and Noteshelf are worthy considerations. I'm not waiting on Evernote any more to get this right.

Just tried to use the app again ...

Seems like most of my notes are lost ... Only 2 remaining and they are stitches of notes. To scroll with 2 fingers over 50 pages is not very handy.

Now the writing itself:

- poor rendering, we can see the pixels. goes very well with a retina display.

- I cannot manage to write more than 3 words in a raw and then it gets stuck, some lines I just drew even disappear.

Who could let this ***** go through to a release?

Is Evernote considering to compensate its users for all the mess created by this reckless update?

The new app is just a nightmare. Here an extract of the worst - of the countless - downgrades

- zoom in/out does not react on gestures (maybe after the fourth try)

- zoom window cannot be moved easily - again the app does not react

- the app crashes while writing

- the zoom window moves around randomly

- the moving speed in the zoomed windows - before it was adaptive - is not too fast and does not adapt.

- The jot script stylus does not work properly

Until Friday, this was my app for note-taking everyday and my reason to go for evernote premium.

I guess I have to look for an alternative. This app cannot be used for work in any way whatsoever

shame on you Evernote!!!

Just reverted back to the previous version, which is a relief. Unfortunately it now says it cannot open my last notebook because it had been edited in a newer release of Penultimate or something like that.

I kind of hope that we could get a response from the Evernote / Penultimate team by monday acknowledging the massive user dissatisfaction with the new version and giving us a hint of what they're planning to do... I'm so happy I decided to wait before buying the Adonit Jot Script...

There is a reason for all people using pages and book style format. Ancient egyptian scrolls sucks. Do you imagine a lawyer preparing his case exposition with a huge kitchen paper roll? Or a musician in a concert rolling the w.c. paper roll? Or a storyboard designer with a cart full of wallpaper rolls?

I think you, guys, forgot that penultimate is not a writing app. On a text edit app you can scroll down easily, but we are using Penultimate for storyboarding, interface design, planification, music writting, visual concept... all of those are not suitable for continuos scrolling. Need to be searchable, tumbnailable, sortable.

Also is a beaufitul detail from you to convert all landscape notes to an infinite vertical nightmare.

As it is now, i think this drawing define what Penultimate has become:

B2eXXPZIgAADAHI.jpg

This car-crash of an update really ruins what was a perfectly good app, in the name of "re-design". I think Evernote fundamentally misunderstood how most Penultimate users actually use the app, and what their unique selling point was. The drift-by-writing-speed for example was the single most important feature of Penultimate. How anyone could release an update without that is beyond my comprehension. Also, the old Penultimate actively encouraged having large notebooks with many pages of notes. Going from that straight to a system that can't handle very long notes with many pages because there is no page thumbnail overview really amounts to an insult to your most active users. As many people on this forum, on Twitter and in the App Store have said: the writing experience is now MORE cumbersome than it was before. What exactly did you try to achieve with this update, other than making it look "more iOS8" for the sake of it?

I have to share my immense frustration here and agree with all the posts I read so far!!! THIS NEW VERSION IS SIMPLY USELESS.

Just a few days ago I showed the old version to colleagues who were enthousiastic about it - shame on me if they now see version 6!

I have many notes, many books and it is simply no longer manageable.

There are a few new nice features in 6 but far from compensating the basic simple and intuitive features that are now gone.

I give Evernote a few days to bring back the old version. Meanwhile I'll get back to paper. Otherwise I'll find a new App.

PS: I read the suggestion that if we have a backup on the computer we can delete the new version on the tablet, unselect the auto update option and sync. But doing so I guess I'll loose all my data?!

Just frustrating...but at least I'm not alone...!

As someone who manages my iOS devices almost completely separately from iTunes — they self-update and use other tools to transfer files — I'm wondering if anyone knows of a legal way to get hold of the old app files? I haven't had Penultimate in my iTunes library since, oh, version 2 maybe, and all those old apps have long since been cleaned out after I moved away from syncing with a computer.

Is it possible to send a special query to iTunes to get an older version for, ehm, “iOS compatability reasons”, for instance? I know that on some older devices that don't support newer iOS releases, I've still occasionally been able to download apps, but they'll give me the best version that's available for that iOS release.

Or am I completely screwed and have to move to a different app? Since this is an every-day use app for me, waiting until the Evernote team issues a patch and gets it through the Apple review process simply isn't an option. It's either old files by Monday, or transition to a new app. I'd prefer not having to scour the illegal underbelly of the internet just to get back a working version of a trusted old free app.

As someone who manages my iOS devices almost completely separately from iTunes — they self-update and use other tools to transfer files — I'm wondering if anyone knows of a legal way to get hold of the old app files? I haven't had Penultimate in my iTunes library since, oh, version 2 maybe, and all those old apps have long since been cleaned out after I moved away from syncing with a computer.

Is it possible to send a special query to iTunes to get an older version for, ehm, “iOS compatability reasons”, for instance? I know that on some older devices that don't support newer iOS releases, I've still occasionally been able to download apps, but they'll give me the best version that's available for that iOS release.

Or am I completely screwed and have to move to a different app? Since this is an every-day use app for me, waiting until the Evernote team issues a patch and gets it through the Apple review process simply isn't an option. It's either old files by Monday, or transition to a new app. I'd prefer not having to scour the illegal underbelly of the internet just to get back a working version of a trusted old free app.

I'm sorry that access to old versions over the air, as in your case, is only available if your OS is incompatible with the current version. As long as your iOS is compatible with the latest version you only can download that. If is not compatible you will have the option to download the last compatible one.

Also, for itunes ones, once your itunes library has the latest one, the older become unavailable. So if anyone want to revert to version 5, please asure you don't sync your device with itunes or the version 6 will overwrite 5.

I agree wit the comments in this thread, I actually spent time looking for some magic settings icon that would fix all these "upgraded" features. I'm sure there must of been some intended "enhancements", but since I can't seem to write a legible note with my relatively inexpensive Adonit Jot Pro (which works fine), I'm assuming this is an attempt to get me to upgrade to the Jot Script? Although based on the comments, sounds like that won't help...

What a disaster - turned a brilliant app that I use ever other day into something that is unusable for me and is going to cost me several hours trying to export my current notes to something that works like penultimate used to.... Aggg, work is hard enough without this.....

I have been using penultimate daily for over a year, predominantly writing my gratitude list and a daily todo list each morning. It has been a joy to be able to WRITE those things out. Yesterday, I was excited about the new release announcement and then deeply disappointed by what I found.

What registered quickly is that I would have to completely change the way I use penultimate to store information and that there is no good way to bridge from the old version to the new version.

I miss pages the most. I added the current days information to the front of the notebook so that when it synced with evernote I didn't have to open the notebook. The first page showed up with the information I needed for my day. Being able to duplicate pages and have different page formats inside as single notebook was useful. Now, scrolling down to the bottom is challenging and time consuming. We at least need a way to place a bookmark in our papyrus paper.

The worst of the worst for me is that the app dies when I am writing...and then I have to remember what I wrote and do it again. This morning after it died and I lost my data, I found myself clicking on the checkmark up top so that that would not happen again. That's not cool.

The most persistent thought I've had in the last 24 hours of life with this new version of Penultimate is "What were they thinking?".

I've enjoyed my time as an Evernote and penultimate user and I truly hope you can return it to the stellar app that is was.

Hey, 

I understand you guys are all happy and so...but I am sorry to add yet another negative response: you guys "fucked a great app up"!!! ( sorry for the swearing...but else I wouldnt be able to fully express my feelings about it)

Its useless! Its a completely new app with nothing to do with the original one whatsoever. - I would never use this new app!

I am a fan and user of the old app for years now. I cant visualize my old notebooks straight anymore, my notes are screwed up, i cant even use it properly anymore.

Please give me a solution to be able to go back to the previous version!

Much obliged, 

I agree with many of the posts regarding the shocking change in Penultimate. The thumbnails and pages were essential for serious notetaking and reference back to previous notes. I keep several ongoing set of notes on different topics, and this new version doesn't allow me to go back and easily find and move pages from previous days. This version has been created with no concept of how users are actually using this notetaking software. It has completely pulled the rug out from under me. I like the fact that penultimate syncs with evernote. But if the old version is not going to be supported I am going to have to move to another notetaking app that doesn't sync with evernote. Give us the old version (or all its features back) or I'm ditching Penultimate. 

I would like to 'ditto' everything said above (and surely following).  This update is horrendous.  I hope the Penultimate Team gets what is being stated on this forum and brings back the features of Version 5 such as scrolling and thumbnail pages to name two sorely missing!!!

-BF

Good morning.  I've had over 24 hours to think about these changes since my earlier post.  Since I do get frustrated with others who are not willing to give a chance to new things, I really did try to get used to this new version.  Unfortunately, this is still not working out for me.

One of my complaints was about the jot script stylus not connecting properly, and I was asked whether I had paired it correctly.  Yes, I did, and this made no difference. The failure of the stylus, however, was the least of my worries, since I had already been using a $5 stylus on the older version, and it worked much better than the $75 one!

The missing thumbnails, which allowed us to find specific pages are a huge loss.  The scrolling feature is inefficient when working with a lengthy notebook.  You also have to touch it just right, or you accidentally draw vertical lines as you scroll.  I prefer the page turning to the lengthy scroll of paper.  I might be able to get used to it if there were a clearer border showing where the top of the next page begins.

The zoom and drift feature is the thing that, in my opinion, set Penultimate apart from the other handwriting apps.  It was the only app feature that was compatible with the way that I hold my pen/stylus.  Several existing apps offered the zoom box similar to what you have now, but it was the zoom and drift unique to Penultimate that I really liked.

I have tried working with this new zoom box feature, to try to get used to it.  It drifts far too fast when I use that feature, and the drift will not stop when I lift my stylus.  Without the drift, it is just too clumsy to keep moving the zoom box to where I need it.  It just isn't working for me.

Meanwhile, I began trying the other handwriting apps again.  I'm finding that Noteshelf, also has a zoom box, which I'm not crazy about, but it is letting me write at my own pace, and in a much more fluid manner than Penultimate's new zoom box.  (I still prefer the old drift and zoom, though!)

I have an older iPad, which still has classic Penultimate installed.  Unfortunately, I can no longer open any of the notebooks that I opened in the new version. They have been modified in  some way which makes them no longer compatible with the old app.

The other thing that I've investigated has been OneNote.  This fiasco has made me very nervous about the future of Evernote in general.  Recently, I tried the beta of the new online Evernote interface, and was dismayed at the loss of features there as well.  I've reverted back to the classic Evernote interface, but I'm really nervous that at some point I will be forced to change to the new one.  So, I'm wondering whether it is just time for me to end my relationship with Evernote, and find a new, more stable system altogether.

This isn't a threat, because I'm already considering this even if you do decide to bring back the Penultimate that we love, and are able to repair the damage to our notebooks so that they are once again compatible with the original version.

Some food for thought:

I'm sure that you received requests from users, asking for these new features.  I haven't seen many of those people in the forums, but I doubt that you made these changes without some input.  Unfortunately, you failed to think about the thousands of users who were content with the original app, and were not asking for changes.  These changes were not an "upgrade". They were the creation with a completely different app. I saw no warnings that this was coming, or opportunities to be a beta tester.  Maybe it is time for two different apps:

Penultimate Classic - which is the closest match on the market to writing in a real notebook.

Penultimate II (or something more creative) - This new version that can be used by the folks who prefer this method.

Thank you for your consideration!

So using my last post as a newly registered, I thought I'd do something constructive and offer you a head-start on the work that you will undoubtedly be doing come Monday.

First of all, and as should be abundantly clear by now, you should probably get on the horn to Apple and issue a recall of v6.0 due to “bugs effecting catastrophic data loss” — it's close enough to the truth of all the document breakage that is occurring that no-one will question it or get into trouble. Well, not with Apple, at least.

Then, while working on a re-release of 6.0, here is an approximate MuSCoW of the issues presented in this and other threads (except that the “won't” actually means “will never do this, now or in the future” here, rather than the more common “won't happen in this version, but possibly later”):

Must

• Reinstate per-page view
  • Reinstate page navigation (thumbnailed)
  • Reinstate page editing (moving, deleting, clearing pages)
  • Massively improve sensitivity, speed, and precision of writing detection
  • Bugfix the writing position to match the pen position
  • Bugfix the line width increase between zoomed-in and zoomed out writing
  • Retroactively fix all documents affected by above bug
  • Retroactively split documents collated by the toilet-paper document design
  • Invert toolbar behaviour (always showing by default, option to hide in full-screen mode)
Should
  • Reinstate page borders to offer run-off areas for selection tools etc.
  • Reinstate auto-prune of empty pages
  • Reinstate respect for the user's chosen paper orientation, rather than suddenly make off-axis writing impossible
  • Reinstate more precise eraser controls
  • Reinstate combined pen settings (size, colour)
  • Reinstate a pen-centric UI navigation (everything instantly available with 1–2 pokes, no need to release pen to do gestures).
  • Reinstate full-screen zoom w/ see-through paper
  • Reinstate drift in zoomed-in view
  • Reinstate second-screen “audience” view for presentations on projectors and the like.
  • Redesign all tool icons to be distinct and intuitive
  • Reinstate a clear and concise document browser view (names shown by default, current page/editing position shown on front).
  • Drastically reduce the UI path between document view and collections of documents (1 button as opposed to 3–4 zoom-outs)
  • Clearly separate tool area from editing area.
  • Ensure that split-screen zoom UI elements (really, the only buttons at the bottom of the page) are subject to wrist protection from all angles.
Could
  • Keep full-screen as an option
  • Keep toilet-paper navigation as an option
  • Keep navigation gestures as an option
  • Keep constant-speed drift as an option, perhaps as a “read mode” with auto-return at the end of a line or some such.
  • Keep split-screen zoom as an option
  • Have an option to turn gestures OFF.
  • Include a toggle-able feature discovery mode that clearly demonstrates and highlights all gestures and touch hotspots in the different views.
Won’t
  • Have the same gesture not do very different things (“zoom out” is not the same intent as “close document”).
  • Have very similar gestures for different things (scroll-swipe most be solidly distinguished from drawing a line; both most be solidly distinguished from pinch to zoom).
  • Ever call it “focused on writing” again while forcing the user to jump through more hoops to do basic writing and hiding fundamental writing tools from them.

As people suggest more issues, I'll add them to this list.

This version is literally unusable. I don't know whether this is due to me using it as a left-handed writer, or just simply the app's bugs, but anyway... I am currently using Penultimate 6 with an iPad Air and Adonit Jot Script. And yes, the stylus is synced with a new battery.

I am finding the interface generally a little sluggish compared to the last version, ink thickness has a ridiculous jump between 1 & 2, making my previous notes almost unreadable due to my handwriting style featuring small counters. However, it is the writing experience which has really got to me.

As a left handed member, I selected the left-handed option in the stylus settings. However, when using the new zoom options, the palm rejection fails to stop my palm activating the play/pause button and the next line button making it an unusable feature. Alongside this, if I try to use the auto-scroll, the speed is ridiculously fast and completely fails to accommodate for my speed of writing - leaving me way, way behind. I also find the zoom feature to jump at a completely different place on the wider page when trying to dot my 'i's. As you can imagine, this makes it take 4 times as long to finish a darn sentence, which is simply not practical, even if I try to persist and adjust to the new changes.

I'm not particularly fond of all the changes, but I'm sure I could live with them if I could actually write using the app. Please, please, please Evernote - sort this. The old version wasn't perfect, but it was a much better and usable foundation stone than this. I used to enjoy writing in the old version, it is almost impossible in the new version.

I am another unhappy user too.

I like to write page by page, I like to view page thumbnail, so I can find page fast.

I would like to change page style in one page only, not change all pages in the same notebook.

I just don't like this update.

I used to use Penultimate for a while because it can be synced to Evernote and viewed in iOS app comfortably. But I realized I didn't need it and deleted it. When I knew the version 6 was released with new design, I downloaded it and had a try. What I mostly was unhappy about is the handwriting experience - you have to write it very very very slowly or the lines could be made straight. Seems the developers consider when users draw figures say square or lines, but I think I am wrong since the long lines are always not straight... How come this choppy experience?! Much worst than Penultimate 5.x! Since this app allows only writing and no typing, the terrible handwriting results in TOTALLY useless of the app.

For the two-finger scroll down feature, it may be designed for the sake of the flow of writing. If you turn pages while drawing, your ideas may be interrupted. This feature may be taken reference to Notability, however it allows users to have an overview of each page, and allows users to move pages to different location.

For me, Notability is more suitable, allowing people to type, write and draw at the same time as they like, although it cannot be synced to Evernote (only export with PDF). I suggest all of you here to switch to Notability and save in Evernote. Well, this is not a perfect solution but sure you will never be frustrated with that silly and ridiculous Penultimate 6!

The Evernote team responded that they did have betas before launching. But I wonder if they have forgotten what handwriting is, or they never have any handwriting experiences since they were born...

Hi

One problem i notice is all my old notes are usually written in LANDSCAPE orientation.  With the old app when I open a note I could turn my iPad to LANDSCAPE and the note would orient correctly

Now most of my notes do not and they are sideways and when I go to LANDSCAPE it still does not orient correctly

PLEASE FIX

Thanks

Mac

The Evernote team responded that they did have betas before launching. But I wonder if they have forgotten what handwriting is, or they never have any handwriting experiences since they were born...

This is a great point! Perhaps the developers have not had the experience in the rich history of writing and its connection to thought processing and presentation.

HORRIBLE!!!!!  I just took screen shots of all my notes and deleted the whole damn app......  I used this for a long time and then poof you guys just turned it into a piece of *****......

Take it back to original and I'll come back but right now this is useless......  Thanks for nothing

I LOVED the old version of Penutlimate.  I HATE this new version!  I'm sorry to be so negative, but I truly think you ruined the best e-notebook out there!  Not only that, all of my notebooks I created in the previous version are RUINED!  I cannot read my handwriting anymore and they are no longer books but "continuous scrolls" which is NOT effective.  Please, Evernote, bring back the previous version!!!

Also, I cannot sync my old notebooks with my on-line Evernote account anymore.  (I'm trying to do this so that I can save my notebooks before I delete the Penultimate app and switch to a different notebook app.  That's how much I am frustrated with this whole thing!!)

Grrr.....

What are you so pleased about!?!? This update is HORRIBLE. I wish I had read the reviews, because this version is SO BAD That I can no longer read or manage my notes.

For starters, evrery note is SIDEWAYS. rotating device doesn't help, it just turns sideways again.

And every noteBOOK is now an ungodly scrolling mess. PAGES ARE IMPORTANT.

I now have several months of notes I CANNOT USE.

THIS UPDATE HAS KILLED ANY DESIRE TO USE EVERNOTE PRODUCTS.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO BURNED BY AN APP.

So enjoy your self-pleasure while it lasts.

I just received this response from their support team. It proves they have not a single clue. The total lack of understanding is the proof I need to cancel my premium membership. Goodby evernote. I will never speak positive about you again. How do I screenshot an entire app???? Just roll back to Penultimate 5, you morons.

I'm Joseph, and thank you so much for contacting me at Evernote customer support. I definitely want to help. Penultimate’s goal is to show how handwriting could be. And that means some big changes. You may read more on the release of Penultimate here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/11/13/new-penultimate-6/

I would like to help with anything that doesn't work, so I would like to collect a bit more information. Could you let me know a bit more about the issue you are noticing with Zoom and Drift? Can you let me know the step take before noticing the issue?

A screenshot of the areas that are causing an issue can also help. To take a screenshot on an iOS device, press and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. The screen will flash white and the screenshot will be saved to the Camera Roll in the Photos app.

If you'd like to submit feedback about any design improvements, I can definitely pass them along to the correct team! We always welcome feedback and suggestions, because that is the best way to improve our product. Let me know if I can help clarify anything a bit more, and I look forward to your response!

I just received this response from their support team. It proves they have not a single clue. The total lack of understanding is the proof I need to cancel my premium membership. Goodby evernote. I will never speak positive about you again. How do I screenshot an entire app???? Just roll back to Penultimate 5, you morons.

I'm Joseph, and thank you so much for contacting me at Evernote customer support. I definitely want to help. Penultimate’s goal is to show how handwriting could be. And that means some big changes. You may read more on the release of Penultimate here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/11/13/new-penultimate-6/

I would like to help with anything that doesn't work, so I would like to collect a bit more information. Could you let me know a bit more about the issue you are noticing with Zoom and Drift? Can you let me know the step take before noticing the issue?

A screenshot of the areas that are causing an issue can also help. To take a screenshot on an iOS device, press and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. The screen will flash white and the screenshot will be saved to the Camera Roll in the Photos app.

If you'd like to submit feedback about any design improvements, I can definitely pass them along to the correct team! We always welcome feedback and suggestions, because that is the best way to improve our product. Let me know if I can help clarify anything a bit more, and I look forward to your response!

Shouldn't the user determine how their notes should be organized? Is Evernote now some ubiquitous being that knows better than everyone else? You do not show me how writing on an iPad should be. I've seen it. It was in the last version. This version is not it.

Writing on the iPad should be efficient and intuitive. It should not require you to waste time scrolling through an entire note to find a certain page. It should not limit your ability to rearrange pages and insert and delete pages in the middle of a document. It should not require you to have to be troubled by a small zoom box that you must manually move. It should not be a hindrance to your workflow. However, all of these characteristics are present in the latest release. If this is how you think writing should be, perhaps your expertise is not what I thought.

Due to the loss of key features in the new version of Penultimate, I am looking for a replacement. This is despite the fact that I have a backup of the app v5.3.1, my notes are also backed up in Evernote (in some form), I was a daily enthusiastic user of Penultimate professionally and personally, thought it was the best app ever, etc.

I've been experimenting with Notability for a day or two now and really like it! I am planning to bite the bullet and switch. The current version of Notability looks like a mix of Penultimate v5.3.1 and Penultimate v.6.0, yet there are several things I really like about it:

1) There are both iPad AND iPhone apps. The notebooks synchronize so I can see them on both devices AND revise them on both devices.

2) I can also start new notebooks on the iPhone now and actually handwrite and draw on them!

3) I can type in the note if I want to do that instead of handwriting.

4) I don't like the scrolling pages, but at least there is a scrolling set of pages viewable to the side which can help me find the proper page within a note!

5) It integrates nicely with Google drive, Dropbox, and other services for exporting and backup.

6) The organization of notebooks into binders, sub folders, etc. makes sense to me.

7) The pinch and zoom viewing and writing features work well.

I am a daily continuous (compulsive?) note taker, would always carry a mid-size notebook around (even on dates with my awesome and understanding wife:), go back through my selected pages of notes to glean reference info and revise them, and so on.

Thank you Penultimate and Evernote for providing such a great application in the past! Also thank you for promoting me to search for something even better. The more I think about it and experiment, I am moving towards a switch to something that works much better for me, Notability!

Unfortunately I have to agree with the negative feedback. I have been using penultimate for a couple hours a day for the past four months and now I can hardly use it. 

1. The speed at which the screen scrolls when zoomed in is incredibly difficult to work with and the fact that it continues scrolling when I am not writing makes it difficult to take notes

2. The scroll no longer pauses when I select the eraser or hit the undo button, how am I supposed to correct my writing if the screen has scrolled past?!

3. The lack of thumbnail displays for different pages makes it very difficult to find specific notes, I have some notebooks based on 18hr lectures

4. The two finger scroll is very inaccurate and tends to result in me putting lines through my notes

5. The tool menu is very difficult to work with, and when expanded covers my notes

I could live with most of this, but the scrolling issues have made it nearly impossible for me to take any notes. Please revert back to the previous version while the issues are addressed.

After using it some more I have noticed that aside from being very difficult to use, the app has crashed multiple times and I continually lose parts of my work

I can no longer use this app.  Does anyone have a list of alternatives?  So far I have found Moleskin and Notes Plus.  I am a roof inspector and mainly use this app to annotate aerial pictures of buildings.  I tried using this new version and had to revert to graph paper.  

I guess maybe this would be a great app for note taking?  Hate to break the news, but but everyone else using this app for different purposes and having tweaked their techniques to fit the original pen ultimate design are forced to start from scratch and look elsewhere.  

I'm sorry Penultimate but your logic is flawed on the Physical Notebook Metaphor.  Having separate pieces of paper, in separate notebooks IS THE LOGICAL way that the majority of people, throughout the world, for thousands of years have taken notes.  Its not going to change any time soon and Penultimate has made a terrible mistake trying to force their users to accept their alternate reality.

My advice.  Give us back the old app and re-name and re-market this 6.0 version as something else. 

If anyone reading this review has any app alternative suggestions, it would be much appreciated.  I need to import pictures from my camera role, into a page, which i can add comments via a pen, and export into a pdf which mimics 11.5 x 8.5 paper.

I would also like to hear what people are switching too. I have looked at a half dozen alternatives but none that give me what Penultimate 5 did. The closest I have found is Inkflow Plus for $7.99.

Now would be a great time for Microsoft to put a handwriting app fir OneNote on the App Store.

Best hope is that Evernote gives us he old version back. But they haven't said a word on their own board in almost 2 days.

Switching

I used to use GoodNotes for a long time because I wasn't happy even with the earlier version of Penultimate. It has a lot of good features but sadly takes too long to export to Evernote ...8 taps to be precise.

Noteshelf is worth a look. It organises notes well, has lots of flexibility. An Evernote export works well but you have to pay extra for an add on. It lacks the ability to draw shapes, which as a Sign maker, is useful.

I'm looking at MyScript now, it looks good, but I need to try it more.

Notability is next on my list to try.

This upate is beyond horrible! This was my most used app on my ipad and now, its completely unusable! I have 1000s of pages of notes in there, and without thumbnail viewing, its completey useless. I have used penultimate since it first launched, well before evernote bought it. If this is not corrected soon, i will sadly have to find another app to use, and probably print out all my current notes so i can actually view them! Just horrible!!

I use Penultimate for work and have a lot of work to do this weekend. I am stopped in my tracks with this new update. Without thumbnail view I can't quickly move between my pages as I need to do. I don't see how to move pages around in the note. I don't see how to move pages into other notes. 

And the worst thing is that when I decided I would just go with it until this was all fixed, I can't write notes any longer! When I write it isn't showing up correctly. I can't read what I have written. Stuff has disappeared. I now have to completely change my work methods until this is corrected. But will it be changed back? How long do I wait around for something like this? 

Has anyone found another app that is a good replacement?

I had told everyone I know to switch to Penultimate and now I am calling them all to tell them not to update. I even bought my daughter and iPad JUST so she could use this app to take notes at college! 

Some here seem to suggest that Evernote and Penultimate need to be dumped together. I don't agree. Penultimate is a problem but Evernote hasn't changed, it's still the great app it always was.

I hope they don't stuff that up too because my whole business depends on it.

I agree with ALL the negative comments here.  My titles don't show up.  I can't zoom.  I couldn't figure out how to navigate until I came to this forum and saw the comment about the two finger scroll.  And then, the two finger scroll often creates lines on the page I have to erase.  Long notes are impossible to navigate and frankly, I liked being able to see the list of pages and cutting and pasting them or eliminating them completely from a long note.  Or switching them between notebooks or copying them across notebooks.  This just sucks.  While the colors are pretty, the rest of it lacks any intuitive ability to function.  Then the help function:  All the instructions are based on the 5.X version.  What's up with that?  I spent several hours yesterday just trying to find my previous pages.  Finally, I went into Evernote, and had to navigate in there to read them. 

NOT HAPPY AT ALL.  Give me back the previous version.  I already gave up on the stylus when it's bluetooth started glitching and the stylus itself started jumping around.  I will give up on this app completely if I cannot get back to the previously more than fully functional, beautifully intuitive interface we had before.  this is nuts!

It's as if you took a list of everything I liked and did the opposite.

Hands down, the biggest mistake that could have been made was this release. Drift no longer works, my writing looks pixelated, the app won't keep up with my pen, page turning is gone, replaced by a scrolling that cannot distinguish between pages.

I want to revert to the old version. I'm a software product owner and if I had done what you did, I'd be fired.

To everyone on this forum:  You can get the old version back - follow these instructions exactly, but be sure to turn off all automatic update to apps and automatic downloads to apps in your settings first.  Otherwise you will have the same problem:

How do I downgrade an iPhone app to a previous version?

So you were tired of those home screen badge numbers showing up on the App Store icon and you updated your iPhone apps on the go. Now whenever you use one of these updated apps it doesn't work properly or you don't like the so-called improvements made by the developer. How can you downgrade to the previous version?

1. Delete the app from your iPhone.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.
3. Do not update your apps in iTunes. Back up and sync your iPhone using iTunes.
4. When the sync is complete, click your iPhone in the left iTunes menu under DEVICES. Click the Apps tab at the top of the iTunes window. Find the app you wish to downgrade under Sync Apps.
5. Make sure the box is checked next to the app you wish to downgrade. Click the Apply button.
6. The old version of the application will be copied from your computer to the iPhone.

If you have already updated the application on your computer, or synced your iPhone before deleting the new version of the app you must follow this step first. Open the trash can or recycling bin and look for the older app version (this file will end with the suffix .ipa).

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971543

Thanks for the help, I was able to restore the previous version. Even notes created in vs 6 appeared! This might be the answer to those who lost their notes...maybe.

To everyone on this forum:  You can get the old version back - follow these instructions exactly, but be sure to turn off all automatic update to apps and automatic downloads to apps in your settings first.  Otherwise you will have the same problem:

How do I downgrade an iPhone app to a previous version?

So you were tired of those home screen badge numbers showing up on the App Store icon and you updated your iPhone apps on the go. Now whenever you use one of these updated apps it doesn't work properly or you don't like the so-called improvements made by the developer. How can you downgrade to the previous version?

1. Delete the app from your iPhone.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.
3. Do not update your apps in iTunes. Back up and sync your iPhone using iTunes.
4. When the sync is complete, click your iPhone in the left iTunes menu under DEVICES. Click the Apps tab at the top of the iTunes window. Find the app you wish to downgrade under Sync Apps.
5. Make sure the box is checked next to the app you wish to downgrade. Click the Apply button.
6. The old version of the application will be copied from your computer to the iPhone.

If you have already updated the application on your computer, or synced your iPhone before deleting the new version of the app you must follow this step first. Open the trash can or recycling bin and look for the older app version (this file will end with the suffix .ipa).

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971543

I went back and tried it, I really wanted to just more ahead. I can't. The new scroll runs at its own pace making the poor writing engine turn my writing into Morse Code (still). Even though there are no thumbnails (best option) I tried searching the adding machine tape and the search option in EN. Even online the search missed so many and added so many irrelevant. Damn.

I find it interesting that EN is disturbingly quiet. I find it funny that the new version of Penultimate is "A Best New App" on Apple??? I think it's funny that reviewers have flushed their livelihood by not actually using the new version before their sycophantic postings. I find it worrisome that plunging from 4 stars to 1 star has not even been noted except here.

Yes EN is a good company with great work and apps, but I can't help but think there are many developers associated with this update who need to consider a new career with a new organization.

I use PenUltimate in my third grade science classes.  I have 61 students that have created and kept science journals using PenUltimate.  We were all completely horrified to find that the update is nothing like the old version of our Notebook.  I am sure that your original intensions of PenUltimate were not for elementary aged children, however, they were able to use it very successfully.  I do not plan to continue using the new version of PenUltimate with my 60 3rd graders and I know that the 4th grade teacher feels the same way.  Please change back to the old version of PenUltimate!

This update has magically transformed penultimate from an incredibly useful productivity tool into a hot mess of total uselessness.

The only way they could have possibly released this - unless it is a clever ploy to alienate those pesky things things called "customers" - would have been if all testing was done in Braille.

I have lost all my old notebooks.

Pages don't scroll.

The writing doesn't keep up.

Thumbnail view is gone.

I hate and despise this new release.

I am buying the Moleskine app.

The update hit in the middle of a multy day confernece. Notes from the first part of the confernece are great. Second part is hard to read as teh handwriting recognition is lousy iin the update. The speed is way to fast to write in the zoom mode. Please give me back my page thumbnails. They are much easier to navigate.

When I try to scroll with 2 fingers I keep getting double verticle lines through my text and no scroll. Then when I view the notes in evernote they cut the top half of the text is on the bottom of one page and the bottom half of the text is on the next page. I think you needed more time in  beta with this update.

Pls bring back the old version ASAP.

use to love this apps coz it response my bamboo stylus better than the bamboo app in ipad. The update hv poor response to it now. My handwriting is a mess

Now I hate it. Can't easily found my notes

MUST scroll all the way with TWO fingers vertically...

Pen is so big. Hard to read

My work is a mess.

At least BRING BACK THE OLD VERSION PLS

While u guys fix it. Otherwise, I hv to search f others.

I use penultimate to take down notes in my class and it really was a big help for me. I am having a hard time to scroll up and down my notes. Kindly fix penultimate again. I suggest you put a view mode only wherein you cannot write something on your note whenever you are going to Swipe up and down.

Hi,

The new release does not work:

- Photos can not be resized. With The previous version it worked perfectly.

- The paper rolls very badly. Most time it writes vertical bars and it does not roll, The result is The note destroyed.

- The writing with The Jot Script is a little better.

I would like to return to The previous version.

Thank you.

I have to back up what is so obvious here. I never post, but this complete ***** up has led me here. When I heard that Evernote was purchasing penultimate, I thought that would create a fantastic symbiotic app with great user experience and archiving ability. How wrong was I?

You have ruined the note taking experience that was unique, UNIQUE to penultimate.

We will find out how much you care about those people who use penultimate.

This is the first time ever that I've written a comment on a forum, and I am doing it to add my voice to the expression of disappointment regarding the Penultimate upgrade. A brilliantly useful app, with the thumbnail view of pages that could be easily re-arranged has now gone. A key reason why many people liked the app was because it was just like a note book with pages, and not an MS Word document that you scroll through, and through. Lots of features seem to have just disappeared, if they haven't, then where is the 'help' button to help us find them. I echo the call to bring back the 'old' superior Penultimate notebook, or run both versions. If not I will also look to place a poor app review (again something I will not have tried to do before) just before I seek another Notebook app.

Archived