Penultimate 6.0 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the all-new Penultimate app was released today. Penultimate 6.0 is a complete redesign of the best digital handwriting app on iPad. Version 6.0 is focused around smoother writing and better organization.

Included in Penultimate 6.0:

• New UI for focused writing
  • Write in full screen and keep writing without stopping to add new pages. Use two fingers to scroll up and down notes.
  • Create new notes, and access different kinds of paper, more quickly
  • New highlighting tool
  • Improved connection process, writing quality, and accuracy for the Jot Script stylus
  • More powerful search
  • View by default all Evernote notebooks that contain Penultimate notes
  • Access and add notes to your Evernote notebooks, including business notebooks
  • View your Penultimate notes in Evernote

Let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store. You can purchase the Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus by Adonit in the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to those who posted instructions in these forums on how to revert back to version 5. I'm lucky I had saved a copy, the instructions worked, life is good again after a very anxious 48 hours.

Lesson learned; I have turned off the auto-update feature on my iPad. I don't ever want to be surprised like this again. And what a poor reflection on the Apple experience as well! Apple take note!

To Evernote/Penultimate-

This was a terrible example of how to release an update to your loyal customers. Add me to the unhappy list. I predict this will become a classic business school case study on how not to manage a software update. Evernote, you have a lot to learn from this episode. The v5 paradigm works great, v6 does not, and I hope you can find your way back to a rational design approach.

As a business professional, I have a core requirement to be able to easily segment topics within each notebook. I have over 50 notebooks, and as time goes on I refer back to my notebook segments to update them with new information, including adding additional pages to insert more notes as needed. In v5 it's easy to navigate the notebook and the various sections I have established using the multi page view. It does not look like scroll supports this requirement very well at all. I agree with a previous post that said; there is a good reason why we abandoned the ancient scroll centuries ago in favor of books. 

I also found the v6 approach to writing to be very inefficient, challenging, and of extremely low quality. Maybe I did not fully understand the intent of this new approach (was there any instruction provided by Evernote? If so I never saw it), and managing the zoom box on the page and the rolling feature simply did not work well for me. I'm open to change, I gave it a try, but at this point I'm not seeing any benefit, just downside.

I have influenced at least 15 to 20 people to use Penultimate, I hope they were not negatively impacted by v6. I did learn through this experience just how valuable my notes in Penultimate are to me. The thought that this application and my notes could become essentially un-useable due to a reckless software update has me concerned and evaluating the alternatives, as should all current and potential users of Penultimate software.

P.S. the JotSript pen i had been using successfully since January started working only intermittently in September. Feedback from Evernote support was that I needed to use a special 1.5v battery, despite 9 months of successful use with standard 1.5v batteries. I've heard other users who have had negative experiences with the pen. Caution, it's expensive!

Despite having successfully downgrading, I'm taking this time to evaluate other note taking apps as I rely heavily on notes.  I have used Bamboo paper in the past, liked it but am still evaluating others such as GoodNotes, NoteShelf and Notes Plus to really see which app best suits my needs.  

Notes Plus has a free trial app called INKredible and this looks promising.  Though notes plus is pricy ($9.99) they are having an App Store sale tomorrow, Nov 20, for $1.99.  (disclaimer, I do not work for them, just letting people know they can save a buck)

Since Evernote is silent and has no appreciation of the serious problems they caused with a poorly  thought out update, I no longer have any faith in their product.  Sad because I was a user from the beginning.  I also realize that I need to keep vigilant as this has opened my eyes to the amount of risk exposure by being so dependent on an app such as this.  From now on I'll be keeping up on what developers are doing to apps that I rely on for daily business.  

I just reverted my personal iPad to version 4.2. Unfortunately, I never synced my iPad with Penultimate 5.3.1. That ok, because I rarely use Penultimate on my personnal iPad (only on the Corporate one!). I also think version 4.2 offers more authentic handwritting than version 6.0.1. I do miss the ZOOM feature on version 4.2. I even tried copying the .ipa 5.3 onto my personnal iPad, but 'I don't have the rights to use it!'.

Version 5.3.1 WE MISS YOU, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

I'm really unhappy with the new update I can't navigate my 100+ page notebooks anymore with ease like before. Also I miss the tabs for turning pages , this two finger business is bollocks. And why get rid of being able to write in landscape. Please reconcile this . Or give a option for a 'classic' mode that allows for the old interface please.

No the solution is not dump penultimate but to return to penultimate 5.3.1. If you have never used 5.3.1 then you don't know how good an app it is. Bamboo is not even close in usability to 5.3.1. Maybe that is Evernotes plan - to wait it out until the 5.3.1 users go elsewhere and all that is left are users who only know the piece junk that is version 6. Erase the past and the future will think its great, kinda like the communist mentality.

I'm not generally one to post a comment about anything, on any site, for any reason. But this Penultimate 6.0 is so bad that I feel compelled to join the chorus of negative posts.

First, the good: I like the clean-line design, and find it to be visually pleasing. And, the new icon is a nice update. The improved integration with Evernote is a good addition as well.

Now, the rest: I won't be able to use Penultimate until (if and when) the extremely poor functionality issues are corrected. Until the (auto) update yesterday, I have used an Evernote edition Adonit Jot Script. The pairing was easy, and the indicator of pairing is graphically pleasing.  But the Jot Script function is now extremely poor in comparison to the pre-6.0 version.  The responsiveness I had grown used to is simply not there.

The lack of responsiveness of the Jot Script may be, at least in part, a result of the new zoom writing box moving at a single, break-neck pace. As others in the forum, I find it very difficult to keep up with the speed of the zoom box while keeping the Jot Script responsive to loops, dots, etc.

The zoom writing box is either moving (again, at break-neck pace) or it is not. In my experience, "real world" note taking generally does not occur at a uniform speed.  I typically slow down or speed up my writing as I pause to think or listen.  The previous drift function of the zoom box was fantastic for this real world use.  In the current version, not only does the zoom box not slow with slowed writing, but the user must actually press an on-screen pause/play button to get the zoom box to stop. This pause/play button interferes with the writing experience immensely. 

I have tried writing on the plain sheet, without the use of the zoom box that I have so enjoyed, and found that my Jot Script was not as responsive there as it was in the previous version.  And yes, it was connected.

The line weights are not quite right. In my opinion, the "01" weight is too thin, and the "02" is too thick--at least for my writing and compared to the previous version.

Sad to say, but after experimenting with the update last night, I left my Jot Script at home this morning.  First time in almost a year that I didn't take it to work.  That is sad, as is my conclusion that I will not be using Penultimate until this disaster of an update is overhauled.

Evernote Team--I'm really surprised--and I think many of my fellow commenters are surprised as well.  This update is not typical of what I have come to know, love, and expect from Evernote.  I'm sure you are getting the message--just don't delay in addressing these issues.  Good luck.

I would like to 'ditto' everything said above (and surely following).  This update is horrendous.  I hope the Penultimate Team gets what is being stated on this forum and brings back the features of Version 5 such as scrolling and thumbnail pages to name two sorely missing!!!

-BF

Evernote employees, if any of you is following this thread anymore (must be painful):

Really, really reconsider the composition of your beta test teams.

- Get someone who uses the iPad primarily in landscape mode.

- Get someone who uses massive notebooks ( tens if not hundreds of pages.)

- Get someone who doesn't use your expensive stylus.

- Get someone who uses Penultimate stand-alone (without Evernote.)

I join the call for a rollback. Bring back Penultimate Classic!

many responses throughout the penultimate forum from Evernote staff. 

Well, no. Responses to individual "bug" reports, perhaps. But no real response from senior management, which it is now clear is where the true problem lies. Phil Libin's tweet -- telling us to wait until they get their act together to issue an update that restores basic lost functionality -- is nothing short of insulting to users who have experienced significant disruptions and, in some cases, catastrophic data loss. 

Throughout this debacle, Evernote has repeatedly shown that it DOES NOT GET IT. There has been NO attempt to address the betrayal of users' trust. At every step, Evernote has worked hard to dig itself deeper into a hole of its own making. Employee reviews on Glassdoor appear to confirm that this is a company that has lost its focus, lost its way, and is doing everything in its power to lose its paying customers.

I don't blame the hard-working developers. I blame the company. 

The previous version, although could do with a little sprucing up (as you have done with the icons, etc), was an amazing product. Allowed free flowing writing with the Jot pen, reacted to the speed of the writing across the paper, was an excellent product. I have used it constantly for my meetings, built up a large library, synced with Evernote - perfect. This new version (v6), is just about to be consigned to the trash can. Horrible reaction to the writing, many of the amazing features of the previous version have been removed & generally, a poor release.

As Evernote know the large volume users (notes synced with the Evernote account), please, please, please perform a beta trial with your customers that know & have used your products for a long time. Immediately you would have known that to release this to the community would have made people jump to other products. Clients are fickle, I know, but please consult them in future & hopefully quickly to release another quality version. Please use this version as a lessons-learned & re-release the older version until a thorough consultation period with your customers has given you valuable feedback.

Just to join the chorus: I use penultimate almost daily, have large notes with many 10s of pages... or at least I used to. Now they are long stripes of "paper" where it is impossible to jump from one place to another has become impossible. Plus of course, since I had the strange idea of writing in landscape, now they have become unusable because they are all rotated 90 degrees.

Seriously, people... did you not realize landscape mode would basically stop working? Did you not realize people were using the thumbnail view you had put in there in the first place? Did you not realize that if single pages have replaced continuous scrolls of pages at some point in the middle age, perhaps, but perhaps there was some reason, or at the very least, perhaps people have their brain trained that way and their habits formed accordingly? And, since you used that same paradigm until yesterday, perhaps people had at the very least organized their notes accordingly and they might really NOT like you changing the whole principle under their feet?

I think I have never seen an app passing from so useful to so useless in a single update.

Clearly, enough has been written about the disaster that happened. I am appalled that despite the outcry, there has been no response from the developers. NONE. As someone who spent his saturday printing and salvaging whatever notes i could, i feel badly for the hundreds of educators, classrooms, collaboraters, and note-takers who have been affected.

Penultimate used to be in my ipad's DOCK. Now it's deleted. Given their silence, there is NO WAY i am going to back-hack or restore previous version, nor wait around for the company to fix (better yet, throw out) version 6. I only hope that everyone responsible for this disaster learns something from it. I WILL take my frustration out on evernote, because they are the company ultimately responsible for this disaster. Premium membership? no thanks. I am already looking to replace that app, too.

After doing some research, i am finding that both Noteshelf and GoodNotes are acceptable alternatives - and they work NOW, when I need to work...

And SHAME on the apple store for declaring this mess a 'best new app" ???!!!

If you actually read this thread, you'd notice that an Evernote employee, Joshua Taylor, has chimed in at least a half dozen times within the fits few pages.

Take a deep breath,

Chiming in to suggest that they are not looking at the resolution we are demanding. I have abandoned too. I am still on evernote forums to get ideas from other disaffected ex premium users as to what new system they are going to use to replace evernote and penultimate. The trust is 100% gone. Deep breaths won't help.

I'm not happy with this at all! I don't sync my stuff much, but this update forced me to sign in. Then it proceeded to sync without asking or informing me. I wouldn't have minded except it deleted all my recent notes and restored old crufty ones. How do I get my old notes back? Not all of us spend all of our time in a permanent date of syncing with everything, but when we do we expect syncing to behave properly! And at least to be asked if we want to do it first. Ironically I was considering getting the Adjonit pen but after this experience I may look elsewhere for note taking facilities.

I also seem to have lost all my old notes after the upgrade and being forced to sign in. Is there any way to get these back??

When you are looking at a list of notes you should see a notebook name with a notebook icon and an arrow below it. Tapping on that icon should allow you to see all of your Evernote notebooks that have Penultimate notes in them. My guess is that you can find all of your lost notes there. Also, remember that each note now used to be represented as a skeumorphic notebook. 

If you are still unable to find your lost notes please let us know or file a ticket with support and will do whatever we can to help. Sorry about the confusion. 

I haven't seen anyone complain about the writing on the tablet is slightly above where I actually place my stylus or finger. It actually sort of makes sense with my finger but is aggravating with my notier stylus. Is this a setting I can turn off or is it something wrong with my tablet? It doesn't happen in any other writing programs.

I 100% agree with this.  There is a 'gap' between the end of the stylus, and where the 'ink' appears.  I'm using the Jot Script (Evernote Edition) and right now it's no better (maybe worse) then a cheap $2 drug store stylus.

Evernote - please fix this crappy application, and get the $80 stylus to properly work in the application that it was (supposedly) designed for.  Stop trying to sell us socks, water bottles, and messenger bags, and fix the applications that we all have come to love and rely on.

Please.

I totally agree and have the same issue with my jot script... although penultimate has changed a bit since the 1st issue of r6.0 it's still a not worthy to mention app. In the current condition I would have never started using this app at all. Having used 6.0 for a few weeks now I can summarize that: writing is worse then r 5.x; page scrolling is almost impossible.. give us back the page turn arrow; bluetooth connection is flaky; Jot Script styles is eating my batteries... average use, 2 weeks and the battery needs to be replaced. I give it until the end of this year..

I use penultimate to take down notes in my class and it really was a big help for me. I am having a hard time to scroll up and down my notes. Kindly fix penultimate again. I suggest you put a view mode only wherein you cannot write something on your note whenever you are going to Swipe up and down.

I agree with other users regarding the lost or altered features that I am hoping will be improved or returned soon. I have some additional remarks:

1. I use my finger rather than a stylus to write notes (heavy use means that styli wear out too quickly); this worked well with the previous version but now is clumsy. The screen response is considerably slower and cannot keep up with my writing. I find I have to constantly go back over my writing to fill in missing parts of letters. This is especially true when zoomed. The drift function is too fast and the zoom is too large. Variable zoom and drift would be helpful.
  2. This could be a deal-breaker: I used to be able to email a pdf of up to 6 or 7 notebook pages with embedded images and the pdf would be under the 5 Meg limit set by my email server. Now I can only email a pdf of a few handwritten pages and the email of the pdf does not reliably send; it seems to get hung up inside the Penultimate App or on the server. 
  3. I just handwrote a note that says, "This note" and then emailed it to myself. I received a pdf but it was blank lined paper - the note I wrote was not there. I waited about 5 minutes and resent the pdf and it worked. I don't recall needing to synchronize with the server before sending pdf notebook emails in the past; has that been changed? 
  4. This could also be a deal-breaker: Previously, when I had notebooks that were too big to email all at once, I would break up the notebook into multiple parts and email each part separately. I accomplished this by duplicating the notebook and deleting pages incrementally. I don't see any feature to duplicate notebooks or to delete or duplicate individual pages.
  5. If I cannot get my work out of the iPad, then I cannot use this product.
  6. The photo enlargement feature on a notebook page is very difficult to control. The previous version allowed individual corners of the photo to be expanded; now a clumsy two finger swoop is necessary. I take screenshots of forms that I then use in the field - I fill in the blanks with handwritten notes.

This was a really useful App in the past. Many of the people who previously observed my use of Penultimate are considering buying iPads for work use so they can use it in the same way that I used it.

This App is the only reason I use the iPad rather than an iPhone in the field. Thank you for your help!

I too created a profile just to voice my dissatisfaction with this update as it completely rendered my most important tool useless.  Evernote, take notice that the pain in this change was great enough to get people who do not post to forums to now do so.  This version is so bad, that I have a hard time believing that the development team of Penultimate was in agreement that this version was ready for prime time and that all the changes were good.  If they were all in agreement, then there were people who were afraid to speak up and were developing a product to fulfill goals of management and not a product that meets the needs and goals of your customers.  This is possibly a symptom of some serious systemic problems from within Evernote because the goals set by the management of a product development team are derived from your customers.  Judging by the overwhelming feedback both in the Penultimate forums and the iTunes store reviews that you guys clearly are not listening to your customers.  This makes me think that there are those at Evernote who think that they understand their customer needs better than their customers, so now we will give you what we think you need.  This is now the Pontiac Aztec of note taking apps, because what I see here reminds me of the story surrounding that car.  It is a great story in product development failure and a cautionary tale of when products are made to meet the expectation of management when the goals and expectation of management are not in line with your customer base.  

I am not new to Penultimate but I am new to the Evernote ecosystem as I've been starting to experiment and explore more with the application.  Since Penultimate is my conduit into the Evernote ecosystem, I don't want to waste my time give this disasterous roll out.  I've only had a premium membership for a month and I'll now cancel the renewal and check back in the future to see if improvements have been made.  My advice, fix the disconnect with your customers that you clearly have now uncovered and fix your product.  If necessary, pull this version and revert to the previous version or you risk loosing more customers.  

Good morning.  I've had over 24 hours to think about these changes since my earlier post.  Since I do get frustrated with others who are not willing to give a chance to new things, I really did try to get used to this new version.  Unfortunately, this is still not working out for me.

One of my complaints was about the jot script stylus not connecting properly, and I was asked whether I had paired it correctly.  Yes, I did, and this made no difference. The failure of the stylus, however, was the least of my worries, since I had already been using a $5 stylus on the older version, and it worked much better than the $75 one!

The missing thumbnails, which allowed us to find specific pages are a huge loss.  The scrolling feature is inefficient when working with a lengthy notebook.  You also have to touch it just right, or you accidentally draw vertical lines as you scroll.  I prefer the page turning to the lengthy scroll of paper.  I might be able to get used to it if there were a clearer border showing where the top of the next page begins.

The zoom and drift feature is the thing that, in my opinion, set Penultimate apart from the other handwriting apps.  It was the only app feature that was compatible with the way that I hold my pen/stylus.  Several existing apps offered the zoom box similar to what you have now, but it was the zoom and drift unique to Penultimate that I really liked.

I have tried working with this new zoom box feature, to try to get used to it.  It drifts far too fast when I use that feature, and the drift will not stop when I lift my stylus.  Without the drift, it is just too clumsy to keep moving the zoom box to where I need it.  It just isn't working for me.

Meanwhile, I began trying the other handwriting apps again.  I'm finding that Noteshelf, also has a zoom box, which I'm not crazy about, but it is letting me write at my own pace, and in a much more fluid manner than Penultimate's new zoom box.  (I still prefer the old drift and zoom, though!)

I have an older iPad, which still has classic Penultimate installed.  Unfortunately, I can no longer open any of the notebooks that I opened in the new version. They have been modified in  some way which makes them no longer compatible with the old app.

The other thing that I've investigated has been OneNote.  This fiasco has made me very nervous about the future of Evernote in general.  Recently, I tried the beta of the new online Evernote interface, and was dismayed at the loss of features there as well.  I've reverted back to the classic Evernote interface, but I'm really nervous that at some point I will be forced to change to the new one.  So, I'm wondering whether it is just time for me to end my relationship with Evernote, and find a new, more stable system altogether.

This isn't a threat, because I'm already considering this even if you do decide to bring back the Penultimate that we love, and are able to repair the damage to our notebooks so that they are once again compatible with the original version.

Some food for thought:

I'm sure that you received requests from users, asking for these new features.  I haven't seen many of those people in the forums, but I doubt that you made these changes without some input.  Unfortunately, you failed to think about the thousands of users who were content with the original app, and were not asking for changes.  These changes were not an "upgrade". They were the creation with a completely different app. I saw no warnings that this was coming, or opportunities to be a beta tester.  Maybe it is time for two different apps:

Penultimate Classic - which is the closest match on the market to writing in a real notebook.

Penultimate II (or something more creative) - This new version that can be used by the folks who prefer this method.

Thank you for your consideration!

So using my last post as a newly registered, I thought I'd do something constructive and offer you a head-start on the work that you will undoubtedly be doing come Monday.

First of all, and as should be abundantly clear by now, you should probably get on the horn to Apple and issue a recall of v6.0 due to “bugs effecting catastrophic data loss” — it's close enough to the truth of all the document breakage that is occurring that no-one will question it or get into trouble. Well, not with Apple, at least.

Then, while working on a re-release of 6.0, here is an approximate MuSCoW of the issues presented in this and other threads (except that the “won't” actually means “will never do this, now or in the future” here, rather than the more common “won't happen in this version, but possibly later”):

Must

• Reinstate per-page view
  • Reinstate page navigation (thumbnailed)
  • Reinstate page editing (moving, deleting, clearing pages)
  • Massively improve sensitivity, speed, and precision of writing detection
  • Bugfix the writing position to match the pen position
  • Bugfix the line width increase between zoomed-in and zoomed out writing
  • Retroactively fix all documents affected by above bug
  • Retroactively split documents collated by the toilet-paper document design
  • Invert toolbar behaviour (always showing by default, option to hide in full-screen mode)
Should
  • Reinstate page borders to offer run-off areas for selection tools etc.
  • Reinstate auto-prune of empty pages
  • Reinstate respect for the user's chosen paper orientation, rather than suddenly make off-axis writing impossible
  • Reinstate more precise eraser controls
  • Reinstate combined pen settings (size, colour)
  • Reinstate a pen-centric UI navigation (everything instantly available with 1–2 pokes, no need to release pen to do gestures).
  • Reinstate full-screen zoom w/ see-through paper
  • Reinstate drift in zoomed-in view
  • Reinstate second-screen “audience” view for presentations on projectors and the like.
  • Redesign all tool icons to be distinct and intuitive
  • Reinstate a clear and concise document browser view (names shown by default, current page/editing position shown on front).
  • Drastically reduce the UI path between document view and collections of documents (1 button as opposed to 3–4 zoom-outs)
  • Clearly separate tool area from editing area.
  • Ensure that split-screen zoom UI elements (really, the only buttons at the bottom of the page) are subject to wrist protection from all angles.
Could
  • Keep full-screen as an option
  • Keep toilet-paper navigation as an option
  • Keep navigation gestures as an option
  • Keep constant-speed drift as an option, perhaps as a “read mode” with auto-return at the end of a line or some such.
  • Keep split-screen zoom as an option
  • Have an option to turn gestures OFF.
  • Include a toggle-able feature discovery mode that clearly demonstrates and highlights all gestures and touch hotspots in the different views.
Won’t
  • Have the same gesture not do very different things (“zoom out” is not the same intent as “close document”).
  • Have very similar gestures for different things (scroll-swipe most be solidly distinguished from drawing a line; both most be solidly distinguished from pinch to zoom).
  • Ever call it “focused on writing” again while forcing the user to jump through more hoops to do basic writing and hiding fundamental writing tools from them.

As people suggest more issues, I'll add them to this list.

My god, this is bad! Ever since you announced that there would soon be an update to Penultimate, I have been excited, but this "update" takes Penultimate back to the look, feel and horrible experience of inferior handwriting apps years ago. Gone is the drift feature, replaced with what appears to be a speed-writing contest. Gone is the smooth ink flow and -rendering that gave the look and feel of writing with a fountain pen, replaced by jagged, horrible ink and bad alignment with the tip of the Jot Script. 

I had just made the decision to finally nuke Notability from my iPad. Glad I didn't. Please fix all of the issues noted by the other respondents, and quickly! 

Bjorn, I just wanted to check to make sure your stylus is connected. In the writing view when the menu is expanded, the stylus icon should be highlighted blue. When you tap it you can reconnect if it gets connected for some reason. Additionally, changing your wrist position often improves the stylus accuracy. Try that and let us know if you have any luck. 

Just take a look at this, Evernote. Only two days after your 6.0 update you ratings plumited in the app store from a four star rating to a one and a half star rating.

Loved your post!

There is nothing better than a clear, rational and fact based argumentation.

No way this will go unnoticed by Evernote.

If they really dont roll back the update (or do a major new update) and assume the mistake (nothing wrong with that) the only thing left will be to bury the app....

Cheers, 

I have been involved in IT/Technology/Software for a long time, and this is one of the worst upgrade messes I have ever seen.  The product is now completely unusable...to the point I am looking for a replacement app right now.  How can anyone think this upgrade was a good idea?  Most disturbing is the apparent lack of response from anyone with Evernote...(I didn't seen any responses from the threads I looked at).

What a mess!!

The new app is just a nightmare. Here an extract of the worst - of the countless - downgrades

- zoom in/out does not react on gestures (maybe after the fourth try)

- zoom window cannot be moved easily - again the app does not react

- the app crashes while writing

- the zoom window moves around randomly

- the moving speed in the zoomed windows - before it was adaptive - is not too fast and does not adapt.

- The jot script stylus does not work properly

Until Friday, this was my app for note-taking everyday and my reason to go for evernote premium.

I guess I have to look for an alternative. This app cannot be used for work in any way whatsoever

shame on you Evernote!!!

Hi,

The new release does not work:

- Photos can not be resized. With The previous version it worked perfectly.

- The paper rolls very badly. Most time it writes vertical bars and it does not roll, The result is The note destroyed.

- The writing with The Jot Script is a little better.

I would like to return to The previous version.

Thank you.

If I've already synced my penultimate notes with Evernote, uninstall the update, and reinstall an older version, will my penultimate notes be recovered when I log into the old version? Please let me know either way. Thanks!

Reinstalling older versions is not recommended. Your notes will not be lost from Evernote if they are fully synced in 6.0. However, some may not be accessible because previous versions did not support access to multiple Evernote notebooks and some new features. 

I am so unbelievably frustrated with Evernote right now. The biggest issue is them taking email support away from general users. To me that is cowardly and just bad business. Unless I get a response from Evernote directly, I will ensure that I never spend another cent on any Evernote products nor any of my friends and family do. You don't take the support option away especially when you put out a sub-par project. Sorry Evernote, right now there are banks that I like better than your company.

On to my issue. I just updated to the new version of penultimate this week and used it for the first time in my master's program class tonight. Aside from the normal hiccups of figuring out how to switch pages, there are a whole host of functionality problems that I will gladly list off here:

1. The biggest one. I have been using penultimate for my class since the start of the semester. All my notes were taken in horizontal mode because I had an attached keyboard. With the new update, all of my old notes that I took this year are rotated 90 degrees. Do you know how hard it will be to study my old notes for my finals in the next two weeks when the notes are rotated? You have essentially ruined my ability to study for my class. You already lost one class of notes from me because penultimate did not sync appropriately and now you decide to try to ruin my semester fully. I took a risk to try and use Evernote and Penultimate this semester and now I am paying the price. 

2. When I try and lock the rotation using the iOS commands while in the app, it puts a mark in the note that I am in. There is no way to open the iOS menus by pulling down the top or bottom of the screen without making a mark in the note you are working on. That is beyond me. You are making an iPad app that does not work with iPad functionality? Did you use trained monkeys to program your update?

I need a way to rotate my old notes 90 degrees in the next two weeks. Simple as that. The rest of the problems are frustrating but I can deal with. I need to study my notes for finals and I will not let your poor excuse for a company jeopardize my grade this semester. I need someone from your organization to contact me as soon as possible to get this resolved. Maybe in the future you should beta test your updates so you don't start a firestorm like this has. Oh and bring back email support.

I just realized that I have a previous support ticket open from when penultimate lost my note. I already feel sorry for the poor tech who has to deal with my next response on that ticket.

As far as I can tell, Bamboo Paper does not support the Adonis Jot Script - Evernote Edition pen though if you already had one of those for penultimate.

I was able to use the Jot Script to write but it's not actually connected to the app like it was in Penultimate. I was not ablate get the app to connect to the pen.

That's odd. I was able to get it connected...worked well.

I was able to revert back to an old version (the backup on the computer had not yet been updated) so a reprieve for now. But Bamboo remains a viable backup.

This version is literally unusable. I don't know whether this is due to me using it as a left-handed writer, or just simply the app's bugs, but anyway... I am currently using Penultimate 6 with an iPad Air and Adonit Jot Script. And yes, the stylus is synced with a new battery.

I am finding the interface generally a little sluggish compared to the last version, ink thickness has a ridiculous jump between 1 & 2, making my previous notes almost unreadable due to my handwriting style featuring small counters. However, it is the writing experience which has really got to me.

As a left handed member, I selected the left-handed option in the stylus settings. However, when using the new zoom options, the palm rejection fails to stop my palm activating the play/pause button and the next line button making it an unusable feature. Alongside this, if I try to use the auto-scroll, the speed is ridiculously fast and completely fails to accommodate for my speed of writing - leaving me way, way behind. I also find the zoom feature to jump at a completely different place on the wider page when trying to dot my 'i's. As you can imagine, this makes it take 4 times as long to finish a darn sentence, which is simply not practical, even if I try to persist and adjust to the new changes.

I'm not particularly fond of all the changes, but I'm sure I could live with them if I could actually write using the app. Please, please, please Evernote - sort this. The old version wasn't perfect, but it was a much better and usable foundation stone than this. I used to enjoy writing in the old version, it is almost impossible in the new version.

I am another unhappy user too.

I like to write page by page, I like to view page thumbnail, so I can find page fast.

I would like to change page style in one page only, not change all pages in the same notebook.

I just don't like this update.

Evernote employees, if any of you is following this thread anymore (must be painful):

Really, really reconsider the composition of your beta test teams.

- Get someone who uses the iPad primarily in landscape mode.

- Get someone who uses massive notebooks ( tens if not hundreds of pages.)

- Get someone who doesn't use your expensive stylus.

- Get someone who uses Penultimate stand-alone (without Evernote.)

I join the call for a rollback. Bring back Penultimate Classic!

This was distributed to all beta testers. You can be a part of this beta testing team (many of us around here are) by "applying" here: Omnibus Beta Tester Beg

Now, I think, aside from the very obvious bugs, the design and feature choices here couldn't likely have been changed by any amount of beta testing. I suspect to a large extent these are defined by the broader vision for the application. Some whinging from beta testers isn't likely to have made a huge difference. I think the outcry here is likely to have significantly more impact. 

I used to use Penultimate for a while because it can be synced to Evernote and viewed in iOS app comfortably. But I realized I didn't need it and deleted it. When I knew the version 6 was released with new design, I downloaded it and had a try. What I mostly was unhappy about is the handwriting experience - you have to write it very very very slowly or the lines could be made straight. Seems the developers consider when users draw figures say square or lines, but I think I am wrong since the long lines are always not straight... How come this choppy experience?! Much worst than Penultimate 5.x! Since this app allows only writing and no typing, the terrible handwriting results in TOTALLY useless of the app.

For the two-finger scroll down feature, it may be designed for the sake of the flow of writing. If you turn pages while drawing, your ideas may be interrupted. This feature may be taken reference to Notability, however it allows users to have an overview of each page, and allows users to move pages to different location.

For me, Notability is more suitable, allowing people to type, write and draw at the same time as they like, although it cannot be synced to Evernote (only export with PDF). I suggest all of you here to switch to Notability and save in Evernote. Well, this is not a perfect solution but sure you will never be frustrated with that silly and ridiculous Penultimate 6!

The Evernote team responded that they did have betas before launching. But I wonder if they have forgotten what handwriting is, or they never have any handwriting experiences since they were born...

This is the first time I have ever felt so strongly about any product upgrade that I've posted anything online. I have 100's of notes, use this app everyday and love it, but there are major problems with the new release (in priority order):

- Pen thickness is too thick to read - many good examples on this forum

- The split screen zoom leaves too little room to see what you are actually writing - original full page was better

- The drift goes too fast, and isn't automatic like the old version and keeps scrolling after you stop writing

- Hiding the icons on top requires me to take an extra click to erase, move, undo etc

- Its too hard now to name documents

- Feels like its easier to leave weird artifacts all over the screen

- 2 finger slide works about 50% of the time

- Screen update when writing fast feels too slow and so words get hard to read

For me this app is now practically unusable, and I'm going to have to start looking for alternatives - which is a real shame

Hope you can fix this soon

I hate it for all the reasons everyone mentioned. My only additional recommendation is everyone goes to the App Store a gives it a 1 star review in hopes that puts additional pressure on Evernote to fix it.

We are actively working on many of the issues noted here. No additional pressure needed :)

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the all-new Penultimate app was released today. Penultimate 6.0 is a complete redesign of the best digital handwriting app on iPad. Version 6.0 is focused around smoother writing and better organization.

Included in Penultimate 6.0:

• New UI for focused writing
  • Write in full screen and keep writing without stopping to add new pages. Use two fingers to scroll up and down notes.
  • Create new notes, and access different kinds of paper, more quickly
  • New highlighting tool
  • Improved connection process, writing quality, and accuracy for the Jot Script stylus
  • More powerful search
  • View by default all Evernote notebooks that contain Penultimate notes
  • Access and add notes to your Evernote notebooks, including business notebooks
  • View your Penultimate notes in Evernote

Let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store. You can purchase the Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus by Adonit in the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

Well guys, 

...now that you all know what we think of the new version....

How about a general statement as to the next steps regarding the "fix" to this ....mistake?

TIPP: ...maybe fast, before "everyone" really trades the app for the competition.

Tks,

What do I think??

I'm pissed! I use penultimate everyday like a notebook instead of paper.

Came in to the office this am to try to take some note and am confronted with this totally unusable update.

How do I reverrt to version 5?

Penultimate....not so much!

Hi

One problem i notice is all my old notes are usually written in LANDSCAPE orientation.  With the old app when I open a note I could turn my iPad to LANDSCAPE and the note would orient correctly

Now most of my notes do not and they are sideways and when I go to LANDSCAPE it still does not orient correctly

PLEASE FIX

Thanks

Mac

This app, pre-update, was easily the best note taking app available. Today's (11/13/14) update took away Penultimate's best features, being able to zoom in anywhere on the page and write at your own pace. You're now forced to write in a specified area of the app when zooming in regardless of you're writing style and forced to write at a set speed. The app pre-update allowed the user to customize everything from where they wanted to position the zoomed in feature and at what speed they wanted to write. The app would even stop scrolling when lifting your stylus. Evernote/Penultimate, please correct these two items.

Penultimate on iOS 8.1 iPad Air

Bob67 - how did you sync with the old version? I desperately need to do this. Thank you in advance for your help.

We are working on some significant improvements for zoom in the next release. Are you unable to reposition the zoom box? You should be able to tap anywhere outside the zoomed area to navigate. If that's not the case let us know. Otherwise, I'm hopeful that coming improvements will meet your needs. 

The Evernote team responded that they did have betas before launching. But I wonder if they have forgotten what handwriting is, or they never have any handwriting experiences since they were born...

This is a great point! Perhaps the developers have not had the experience in the rich history of writing and its connection to thought processing and presentation.

Just reverted back to the previous version, which is a relief. Unfortunately it now says it cannot open my last notebook because it had been edited in a newer release of Penultimate or something like that.

I kind of hope that we could get a response from the Evernote / Penultimate team by monday acknowledging the massive user dissatisfaction with the new version and giving us a hint of what they're planning to do... I'm so happy I decided to wait before buying the Adonit Jot Script...

I have to back up what is so obvious here. I never post, but this complete ***** up has led me here. When I heard that Evernote was purchasing penultimate, I thought that would create a fantastic symbiotic app with great user experience and archiving ability. How wrong was I?

You have ruined the note taking experience that was unique, UNIQUE to penultimate.

We will find out how much you care about those people who use penultimate.

I feel for those who have lost notes, but clearly I have use Penultimate in an entirely different way. I really thought that whole object of the app was to write notes then sync with Evernote.

That's what I do, which means once the note is synced I have it where I want it, in evernote. So if all my notes fall into a black hole, I still have the data.

I am surprised to hear of users who depend so much on this app without a backup.

Thankfully though, I've managed to restore the previous version.

I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I hate this update to Penultimate.  I have to 2-finger scroll through my notes now?  I no longer have a "thumbnail" view to use?  So, on a notebook that I've been treating like a journal type notebook, I now have to SCROLL through 40 or 50 pages to find something, instead of being able to use a thumbnail view to jump to a page?  "Pages" are, in fact, gone, since it's one long note now?  Also, the response time to the stylus is MUCH slower and glitchier than it was (rendering handwriting much less legible), and the ERASE feature now doesn't fully erase things, and leaves behind fragments of things that should be erased.  Awful, awful changes.  This used to be like writing in a Notebook, and that's what I loved about it.  I'll now be looking for a new app like Moleskin or something, and finding a way to sync that to my Evernote account.  What a shame.  Who thought these would be good changes?  Awful.  

Tony, are you still seeing poor performance when writing? And is your Jot Script connected? It should have blue rings and a bluetooth icon on the stylus icon if it is. It's rare but sometimes the pen isn't very responsive when syncing for the first time. I'm wondering if that was your case. Thanks for the feedback.

Hoping that Evernote realizes what a mess this is and reverts back to the last version. In the meantime, I've been exploring and Noteshelf is pretty great. Smooth writing, backs up to Evernote so I can search notes there, and I can import PDFs to mark on, too. That may be where I end up. I like my Evernote, but very much dislike this version of Penultimate!

This version is literally unusable. I don't know whether this is due to me using it as a left-handed writer, or just simply the app's bugs, but anyway... I am currently using Penultimate 6 with an iPad Air and Adonit Jot Script. And yes, the stylus is synced with a new battery.

I am finding the interface generally a little sluggish compared to the last version, ink thickness has a ridiculous jump between 1 & 2, making my previous notes almost unreadable due to my handwriting style featuring small counters. However, it is the writing experience which has really got to me.

As a left handed member, I selected the left-handed option in the stylus settings. However, when using the new zoom options, the palm rejection fails to stop my palm activating the play/pause button and the next line button making it an unusable feature. Alongside this, if I try to use the auto-scroll, the speed is ridiculously fast and completely fails to accommodate for my speed of writing - leaving me way, way behind. I also find the zoom feature to jump at a completely different place on the wider page when trying to dot my 'i's. As you can imagine, this makes it take 4 times as long to finish a darn sentence, which is simply not practical, even if I try to persist and adjust to the new changes.

I'm not particularly fond of all the changes, but I'm sure I could live with them if I could actually write using the app. Please, please, please Evernote - sort this. The old version wasn't perfect, but it was a much better and usable foundation stone than this. I used to enjoy writing in the old version, it is almost impossible in the new version.

I also am a left-handed writer, and find the EXACT same problems as Adrian.  This new version basically screws up anything that a left-handed writer does.  I also use the Jot Script ($80), and it's 100% useless with Penultimate.  There is such a terrible delay, and the ink sizes don't scale correctly.  There is also a 'gap' between the end of the pen, and the "ink" on the screen, so it looks like I'm writing to the left of where I actually want to write.

Take a look at Good Notes, they seem to get it.

I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I hate this update to Penultimate.  I have to 2-finger scroll through my notes now?  I no longer have a "thumbnail" view to use?  So, on a notebook that I've been treating like a journal type notebook, I now have to SCROLL through 40 or 50 pages to find something, instead of being able to use a thumbnail view to jump to a page?  "Pages" are, in fact, gone, since it's one long note now?  Also, the response time to the stylus is MUCH slower and glitchier than it was (rendering handwriting much less legible), and the ERASE feature now doesn't fully erase things, and leaves behind fragments of things that should be erased.  Awful, awful changes.  This used to be like writing in a Notebook, and that's what I loved about it.  I'll now be looking for a new app like Moleskin or something, and finding a way to sync that to my Evernote account.  What a shame.  Who thought these would be good changes?  Awful.  

Tony, are you still seeing poor performance when writing? And is your Jot Script connected? It should have blue rings and a bluetooth icon on the stylus icon if it is. It's rare but sometimes the pen isn't very responsive when syncing for the first time. I'm wondering if that was your case. Thanks for the feedback.

HORRIBLE!!!!!  I just took screen shots of all my notes and deleted the whole damn app......  I used this for a long time and then poof you guys just turned it into a piece of *****......

Take it back to original and I'll come back but right now this is useless......  Thanks for nothing

I haven't seen anyone complain about the writing on the tablet is slightly above where I actually place my stylus or finger. It actually sort of makes sense with my finger but is aggravating with my notier stylus. Is this a setting I can turn off or is it something wrong with my tablet? It doesn't happen in any other writing programs.

I 100% agree with this.  There is a 'gap' between the end of the stylus, and where the 'ink' appears.  I'm using the Jot Script (Evernote Edition) and right now it's no better (maybe worse) then a cheap $2 drug store stylus.

Evernote - please fix this crappy application, and get the $80 stylus to properly work in the application that it was (supposedly) designed for.  Stop trying to sell us socks, water bottles, and messenger bags, and fix the applications that we all have come to love and rely on.

Please.

This app, pre-update, was easily the best note taking app available. Today's (11/13/14) update took away Penultimate's best features, being able to zoom in anywhere on the page and write at your own pace. You're now forced to write in a specified area of the app when zooming in regardless of you're writing style and forced to write at a set speed. The app pre-update allowed the user to customize everything from where they wanted to position the zoomed in feature and at what speed they wanted to write. The app would even stop scrolling when lifting your stylus. Evernote/Penultimate, please correct these two items.

Penultimate on iOS 8.1 iPad Air

Bob67 - how did you sync with the old version? I desperately need to do this. Thank you in advance for your help.

We are working on some significant improvements for zoom in the next release. Are you unable to reposition the zoom box? You should be able to tap anywhere outside the zoomed area to navigate. If that's not the case let us know. Otherwise, I'm hopeful that coming improvements will meet your needs. 

I must agree with this comment. I just got my Jot Script today with the expectation that I would be able to use two fingers to zoom in but all I got was a box. The box is what I didn't like before getting this pen and thought that was what it would do when watching the latest video clip. Not happy. Is that feature returning in the revision? If not, as much as I like this stylus, I need to return it. I have committed to Evernote over several other cross platform systems because it has done what it says. This was the icing on the cake but all I have is cake...

I LOVED the old version of Penutlimate.  I HATE this new version!  I'm sorry to be so negative, but I truly think you ruined the best e-notebook out there!  Not only that, all of my notebooks I created in the previous version are RUINED!  I cannot read my handwriting anymore and they are no longer books but "continuous scrolls" which is NOT effective.  Please, Evernote, bring back the previous version!!!

Also, I cannot sync my old notebooks with my on-line Evernote account anymore.  (I'm trying to do this so that I can save my notebooks before I delete the Penultimate app and switch to a different notebook app.  That's how much I am frustrated with this whole thing!!)

Grrr.....

The fact that I just received an email saying and I quote "penultimate 6.0 + jot script. Upgraded to work better together." Is so idiotic it's funny

And no evernote, I'm not feeling like handing you any money right now for a fancy stylus or a $70 business card case..

FIX YOUR APP!!

So after mistakenly upgrading I discovered that my Jot Script became useless so before reading about the rest of the users issues I opened a ticket with Evernote:

Here is what I asked:

Upgraded and now the jot script will not connect.

Also the new highlighter tool can't be cut or copied. If you do it scales / moves all my vet the page.

To be fair the "moves all my vet the page" was suppose to be "moves all over the page" (blame my fat thumbs).

Here is the response I got today from Evernote support:

Thank you for your note regarding the new Penultimate 6.0. We included a brand new interface as well as various updates and refinements in this latest version. A comprehensive list of the updates, frequently asked questions, and how-tos can be found on our Forum.

Penultimate 6 FAQ and How-To info

If you have further questions or run into any issues please let me know.

Evernote Support

And there I was thinking I'm the only muppet who can't figure out Penultimate 6.0.  So in addition to everyone else's frustrations, I'd like to add:

• When I sync to Evernote only the subject header syncs - not the actual handwritten text. ?!@#$!
  • A couple of Penultimate notebooks seem to have disappeared.
  • When I deleted some notebooks, the corresponding Evernote notebook also disappears but the contents go into Trash.  What is the point of that?  Ridiculous!

Time for a major UPDATE please

This video of a presentation by Ben Zotto would be extremely educational for the current Penultimate team:

Of special note is 15:10 in the video where Ben discusses the decision to NOT include the ability to scroll through long pages, instead of using the multiple page notebook design.

Why, then, the decision to do so with this newest version of the APP?  Going away from the roots of the original design was a bad, bad idea.

Wow!  I also got the email announcing Penultimate 6 + jot script, and decided to see if the limitations of jot script had been addressed to the point that it would be worth buying one.  Reading this thread, definitely answers that question.  I like evernote a lot, but it's scary that they could release something this bad.   Glad I checked this forum before buying.

The new app looks much nicer but is very difficult to use. The main problems for me are:

- No thumbnails of pages

- No titles displayed for the different notebooks

- More taps required for basic functions (pen, undo and erase)

- Scroll speed is poorly calibrated to my writing pace.

Unfortunately the changes Evernote have made have so damaged the core functionality of the app that it is now significantly worse than many competitive writing apps. The above four issues (except perhaps the "more taps required" issue) should have shown up in beta testing. If they did not, Evernote needs to expand it's collection of beta testers, making sure that it includes people who use the app for its core function (handwriting lots of notes) on a regular basis.

I understand that there will be teething problems with app updates, but this is a huge change---it feels like a beta version of a writing app---one that I would quickly delete in favour of the old penultimate if that were possible.

Fortunately, it has made me realise how vulnerable I have made myself by putting so much of my professional work into Penultimate and Evernote. The developers can alter these apps on a whim, with very little beta testing by core users, and there is little we can do about it. Back to pen and paper for me.

What are you so pleased about!?!? This update is HORRIBLE. I wish I had read the reviews, because this version is SO BAD That I can no longer read or manage my notes.

For starters, evrery note is SIDEWAYS. rotating device doesn't help, it just turns sideways again.

And every noteBOOK is now an ungodly scrolling mess. PAGES ARE IMPORTANT.

I now have several months of notes I CANNOT USE.

THIS UPDATE HAS KILLED ANY DESIRE TO USE EVERNOTE PRODUCTS.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO BURNED BY AN APP.

So enjoy your self-pleasure while it lasts.

To the other users like myself who find this unusable: what are your recommendations for other ipad writing apps to consider? Appreciate the help.

A stand alone app is likely the way to go. Being an R&D person, it is clear to me that the Pentultimate approach is being destroyed as we know it so it "works like" Evernote. I (we) don't want it to and this will likely be the core issue...unless they capitulate openly, and soon enough. I doubt if they (Evernote) will capitulate as they as the big bosses are an Evernote team, not a Pentultimate team. They will smugly be ok with losing Pentultimate core users with the promise of a new future (they hope). It will take them a long while to figure out the right vs wrong approach.

Net, we need to find a new app for ourselves. What is your recco for a writing app to consider?

To the other users like myself who find this unusable: what are your recommendations for other ipad writing apps to consider? Appreciate the help.

A stand alone app is likely the way to go. Being an R&D person, it is clear to me that the Pentultimate approach is being destroyed as we know it so it "works like" Evernote. I (we) don't want it to and this will likely be the core issue...unless they capitulate openly, and soon enough. I doubt if they (Evernote) will capitulate as they as the big bosses are an Evernote team, not a Pentultimate team. They will smugly be ok with losing Pentultimate core users with the promise of a new future (they hope). It will take them a long while to figure out the right vs wrong approach.

Net, we need to find a new app for ourselves. What is your recco for a writing app to consider?

I'm trying out the Bamboo paper note taking app. It's the closest thing I've found so far to the old version of Penultimate. I won't use Penultimate again unless the update is reverted.

Well, it's for real. They have not a clue.

After posting a report ticket to custom service explaining the problems and explaining how landscape notes gets corrupted, they don't understand the problem at all. Finally, i´ve received a  last template message sending me to a page where they explain how to use and what are the differences on the new version and how marvelous and smart is the new version, because it seems that the problem is that i need to get used to the new version. Also making clear that they are only thinking on Evernote, not Penultimate users, because all of their arguments is to adapt to evernote, evernote, evernote blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, i wrote to the Notability support asking for the possibility of more paper styles like penultimate ones. They kindly send me a dropbox shared folder with a lot of templates to import, including sport, technical, music, storyboards...

As an old Spanish tv spot says: "Search, compare, and if you find something better, purchase it!"

I cannot believe this, it is monday evening (where I live), and still no official response to all the complaints from Evernote? There are 14 pages of (mostly) negative replies on this topic (Penultimate 6.0 update). On the (Dutch) itunes store, the newest version has got 36 1-star reviews and 2 2-star reviews.

How can this company keep quiet and not dignify with responding to this?

Arrogance or sheer panic?

Please people at Evernote, let us know what you are planning to do. Not responding is not an option!!!

The new update is absolutely horrible! Maybe it integrates well with Evernote, but for those of us who loved all the features of Penultimate without using Evernote, this is horrible. I'm extremely frustrated with the new update and will look of other notebook options immediately!

I hate the new scrolling function. It's unusable for notebooks with more than 3-5 pages.

What happened to notebook titles?

Can't find a particular page!

90 degree rotated landscape notes - no way to put them right

No names under icons

No separate pages

No way

I think it's time I moved on - meeting notes for the last 18 months gone but can't face the new layout.

Anybody suggest an alternative that looks and works the way Penultimate used to ?

I just received this response from their support team. It proves they have not a single clue. The total lack of understanding is the proof I need to cancel my premium membership. Goodby evernote. I will never speak positive about you again. How do I screenshot an entire app???? Just roll back to Penultimate 5, you morons.

I'm Joseph, and thank you so much for contacting me at Evernote customer support. I definitely want to help. Penultimate’s goal is to show how handwriting could be. And that means some big changes. You may read more on the release of Penultimate here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/11/13/new-penultimate-6/

I would like to help with anything that doesn't work, so I would like to collect a bit more information. Could you let me know a bit more about the issue you are noticing with Zoom and Drift? Can you let me know the step take before noticing the issue?

A screenshot of the areas that are causing an issue can also help. To take a screenshot on an iOS device, press and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. The screen will flash white and the screenshot will be saved to the Camera Roll in the Photos app.

If you'd like to submit feedback about any design improvements, I can definitely pass them along to the correct team! We always welcome feedback and suggestions, because that is the best way to improve our product. Let me know if I can help clarify anything a bit more, and I look forward to your response!

How to downgrade....

Note, you need to have the previous version as part of an old(er) computer-based sync

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-re-install-older-version-of-apps-on-iphone-ipad/

This solution may work for some.  It did not work for me, because the deleted file will not be recognized on my iTunes as coming from an "authorized account."   I have two apple IDs, and they are unable to resolve the issue to have them reconcile to allow Penultimate 5.x to be restored.   I suspect there are a large number of us in the same boat:  the only way we will get 5.x back is if the Evernote team allows us to re-download it.   There have been several requests to do just that, but so far, they have not acknowledged that we are making the request or whether or not they can or intend to fulfill it.   For the one non-Evernote forum poster who keeps reminding us that they don't think the team can do that, I hear you, but since you aren't at Evernote, I would prefer to have them answer rather than have you continue to cheerlead for them in their inexcusable silence.   You know who you are.   

I finally gave up on there ever being a version of Penultimate released for Android and reluctantly made the switch to Apple.  I literally became an iPad user for this app.  I was in love with this app and had just started increasing it's prevalence in my day to day workflow.  I was in serious consideration to upgrade to a Premium account and was growing increasingly more excited about having my wife purchase me the Evernote Jot stylus for Christmas.  Not now.  Now, I am desperately trying to get a replacement app settled into place to make my switch to the iPad still worthwhile.  (I've grown to admire the iPad, I just hate that the reason I switched has be rendered useless now.)

I can second the idea above for the Bamboo Paper app.  So far, it's the closest thing to the "glory days" of Penultimate.

Evernote team, thank you for the reassurance that the bugs are being worked out.  However, based on what I'm reading, it seems as though the vast majority of users don't want the bugs fixed.  WE WANT THE OLD VERSION BACK.

I too have used Bamboo paper in the past and have gone between Penultimate and Bamboo.  Yes it is the closest to what Penultimate was, yet I haven't extensively tested a lot of apps.  I switched back to Penultimate for the seamless backup and Bamboo's wrist protection actually got worse with an update but this was a year or so ago.  They have made updates since and will now be considering switching back.  I successfully reverted back to the previous penultimate and turned off automatic updates but still the risk is there that I will inadvertently update as other app updates come in.  I will also be checking out GoodNotes as many coworkers recommend.  

Archived