Penultimate 6.0 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the all-new Penultimate app was released today. Penultimate 6.0 is a complete redesign of the best digital handwriting app on iPad. Version 6.0 is focused around smoother writing and better organization.

Included in Penultimate 6.0:

• New UI for focused writing
  • Write in full screen and keep writing without stopping to add new pages. Use two fingers to scroll up and down notes.
  • Create new notes, and access different kinds of paper, more quickly
  • New highlighting tool
  • Improved connection process, writing quality, and accuracy for the Jot Script stylus
  • More powerful search
  • View by default all Evernote notebooks that contain Penultimate notes
  • Access and add notes to your Evernote notebooks, including business notebooks
  • View your Penultimate notes in Evernote

Let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store. You can purchase the Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus by Adonit in the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time ever that I've written a comment on a forum, and I am doing it to add my voice to the expression of disappointment regarding the Penultimate upgrade. A brilliantly useful app, with the thumbnail view of pages that could be easily re-arranged has now gone. A key reason why many people liked the app was because it was just like a note book with pages, and not an MS Word document that you scroll through, and through. Lots of features seem to have just disappeared, if they haven't, then where is the 'help' button to help us find them. I echo the call to bring back the 'old' superior Penultimate notebook, or run both versions. If not I will also look to place a poor app review (again something I will not have tried to do before) just before I seek another Notebook app.

I just received this response from their support team. It proves they have not a single clue. The total lack of understanding is the proof I need to cancel my premium membership. Goodby evernote. I will never speak positive about you again. How do I screenshot an entire app???? Just roll back to Penultimate 5, you morons.

I'm Joseph, and thank you so much for contacting me at Evernote customer support. I definitely want to help. Penultimate’s goal is to show how handwriting could be. And that means some big changes. You may read more on the release of Penultimate here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/11/13/new-penultimate-6/

I would like to help with anything that doesn't work, so I would like to collect a bit more information. Could you let me know a bit more about the issue you are noticing with Zoom and Drift? Can you let me know the step take before noticing the issue?

A screenshot of the areas that are causing an issue can also help. To take a screenshot on an iOS device, press and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. The screen will flash white and the screenshot will be saved to the Camera Roll in the Photos app.

If you'd like to submit feedback about any design improvements, I can definitely pass them along to the correct team! We always welcome feedback and suggestions, because that is the best way to improve our product. Let me know if I can help clarify anything a bit more, and I look forward to your response!

Shouldn't the user determine how their notes should be organized? Is Evernote now some ubiquitous being that knows better than everyone else? You do not show me how writing on an iPad should be. I've seen it. It was in the last version. This version is not it.

Writing on the iPad should be efficient and intuitive. It should not require you to waste time scrolling through an entire note to find a certain page. It should not limit your ability to rearrange pages and insert and delete pages in the middle of a document. It should not require you to have to be troubled by a small zoom box that you must manually move. It should not be a hindrance to your workflow. However, all of these characteristics are present in the latest release. If this is how you think writing should be, perhaps your expertise is not what I thought.

Obviously this is a terrific update the app and the new look is snappy.

• Love that we can now save individual notes and send those to specific notebooks in Evernote
  • Love the design and full screen mode is, well, awesome

Some things that I am noticing:

• Still lots of artifacts on the screen when you write 
  • The drift feature when in zoom is too fast
  • The line thickness transfer from zoom to the "paper" is not proportionate--too thick
  • There is not "clear all" option to erase and entire page
  • There is now thumbnail page view--for longer notebooks scrolling through is cumbersome

Hope these thoughts help. Congrats on a the update. 

I automatically hit the update all apps last week and when Penultimate updated all my previous notes have disappeared.  This update has left me with a single note from last July.  It seems randomly selected form all the pages of notes I have been keeping for the last 6 months.

I've tried several ways to recovering my notes.  I need these notes for my work, is there any way to get them back? If they are lost, this will be the end of my use of Evernote products.

Tom

Update on my quest to reengineer and consider my note taking strategy:

1. I decided to go with the Logitech Type+ for my keyboard cover. The keyboard is very close to full-size and slightly larger than the iPad keyboard. So far I am able to type as quickly as I can on my laptop. The feedback on the keys is very nice and they are relatively quiet...quieter than the sound most modern styli have when clicking against the iPad screen. I'm typing this on it in fact, and the keyboard shortcuts for moving the cursor around mimic those found on the Apple keyboard.

2. Because the Notes, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps are available for free (Notes can't be uninstalled) and available on all devices and sync with iCloud - note taking issues have been resolved, with the added bonus of being completely portable with my notes and other "professional" documents.

3. I've also started looking into Loose Leaf as a means for sketching ideas. It is exactly what it sounds like, however. No notebooks at this time. However, the other functionality available make it a pretty good collaboration tool for teams using iPads...I haven't used it enough to say more than that.

4. Data loss: I received an update from Tech Support asking me to download iExplorer...not great that I have to download an app outside the App store - not sure if it is available for Windows...and not sure how long the demo version will work. This app gives you access to the private folders on the device...as a developer, this creeps me out a bit. I told inside of this private folder would be PNG images; however, when I looked, they were not files, they were folders (not file packages) with a single binary...so not a complete solution to the fear of data loss, but it appears all of my pages are still on the device.

Conclusion: Between items 1 and 2, note taking and document creation has become ubiquitous and completely portable - making my iPad a 10" laptop. The keyboard case does add a little weight, but the tradeoff is minimal compared to what is gained. 3 appears to give a viable solution to sketching, storyboarding, and collaborating on projects where visualization is the main goal. 4 means that the notebooks should not be lost...only unviewable; so, here's to hoping I eventually get to see them.

Hope that helps someone else having a tough time responding to this apparent direction change from Evernote related to Penultimate.

Cheers

Due to the loss of key features in the new version of Penultimate, I am looking for a replacement. This is despite the fact that I have a backup of the app v5.3.1, my notes are also backed up in Evernote (in some form), I was a daily enthusiastic user of Penultimate professionally and personally, thought it was the best app ever, etc.

I've been experimenting with Notability for a day or two now and really like it! I am planning to bite the bullet and switch. The current version of Notability looks like a mix of Penultimate v5.3.1 and Penultimate v.6.0, yet there are several things I really like about it:

1) There are both iPad AND iPhone apps. The notebooks synchronize so I can see them on both devices AND revise them on both devices.

2) I can also start new notebooks on the iPhone now and actually handwrite and draw on them!

3) I can type in the note if I want to do that instead of handwriting.

4) I don't like the scrolling pages, but at least there is a scrolling set of pages viewable to the side which can help me find the proper page within a note!

5) It integrates nicely with Google drive, Dropbox, and other services for exporting and backup.

6) The organization of notebooks into binders, sub folders, etc. makes sense to me.

7) The pinch and zoom viewing and writing features work well.

I am a daily continuous (compulsive?) note taker, would always carry a mid-size notebook around (even on dates with my awesome and understanding wife:), go back through my selected pages of notes to glean reference info and revise them, and so on.

Thank you Penultimate and Evernote for providing such a great application in the past! Also thank you for promoting me to search for something even better. The more I think about it and experiment, I am moving towards a switch to something that works much better for me, Notability!

Sorry to say that making the upgrade was a mistake for me. Handwriting recognition is now horrible. The lag when writing is unacceptable, My writing was fine in the last version but nearly illegible here. As an Evernote user, I love the integration, so please provide instructions on how to go back to the previous version and fix this new one quickly.

I'm not happy with this at all! I don't sync my stuff much, but this update forced me to sign in. Then it proceeded to sync without asking or informing me. I wouldn't have minded except it deleted all my recent notes and restored old crufty ones. How do I get my old notes back? Not all of us spend all of our time in a permanent date of syncing with everything, but when we do we expect syncing to behave properly! And at least to be asked if we want to do it first. Ironically I was considering getting the Adjonit pen but after this experience I may look elsewhere for note taking facilities.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the negative feedback. I have been using penultimate for a couple hours a day for the past four months and now I can hardly use it. 

1. The speed at which the screen scrolls when zoomed in is incredibly difficult to work with and the fact that it continues scrolling when I am not writing makes it difficult to take notes

2. The scroll no longer pauses when I select the eraser or hit the undo button, how am I supposed to correct my writing if the screen has scrolled past?!

3. The lack of thumbnail displays for different pages makes it very difficult to find specific notes, I have some notebooks based on 18hr lectures

4. The two finger scroll is very inaccurate and tends to result in me putting lines through my notes

5. The tool menu is very difficult to work with, and when expanded covers my notes

I could live with most of this, but the scrolling issues have made it nearly impossible for me to take any notes. Please revert back to the previous version while the issues are addressed.

After using it some more I have noticed that aside from being very difficult to use, the app has crashed multiple times and I continually lose parts of my work

Posted this yesterday under another topic but transferring it here, seems most of the feedback for the Evernote team is piling up here...

I've just downloaded the new version and do not understand the interface... I'm quite computer literate thank you, and I've used hundreds of apps but I just don't get how I'm supposed to 'scroll' within the pages. The interface is not intuitive at all, maybe the developers went a little bit too far into making the interface 'clean'. Somestimes it's just handy to have the buttons you need up there. Furthermore: there is no help / support option within the app, or I can't find it within the 'clean'  interface. When I search for Help on the web on the Evernote site, I get support with pictures and instructions for the 'old' interface. I do not get this!?! Get your act together people! Grrrrrrr!

OK I got it now, you're supposed to scroll using 2 fingers. I guess when I opened the new app there was some kind of instruction thing, which I also didn't understand (really, I didn't get if you had to swipe or scroll the instruction and then suddenly it was gone and no way to get it back. Been trying some more things and the interface is annoying me even more:

- Now I need more gestures than I did before to do something: when I want to erase something, I now have to expand the menu first before i can access the eraser.

- The icons look too much alike, it's hard finding the 'eraser on the bottom of a pencil' between the other icons. Why are all icons exactly the same color.

- When you scroll downward, your text is behind the icons, making them even harder to find.

- It's too confusing: sometimes you have to tap and hold to get icons (on the preview screen), sometimes you have to tap inside a big circle to access your notes, within the page you have to use the buttons on the top, but also make gestures...

- IT'S NOT INTUITIVE!!!!! I'm getting all kinds of accidental lines drawn inside my notes because of gestures that aren't recognized.

- How am I supposed to operate the scrolling when using a pen?

I am getting more disappointed by the minute. Please bring back the old interface! This was not a good move on your side, you're killing a perfectly good app this way!

This update makes competitors apps look very appealing. Also you just destroyed my work flow for all of my classes. Iat is beyond tedious and extremely in efficient to use the scroll function. I need an overview. Guys, have you even looked at competitor's apps ? It's really broken. Please fix these issues so I can use my old notes again for study.

Text is grainy.

No way to navigate old notes.

2 finger scrolling is extremely difficult.

(What if my notebook is 100 pgs long? I have to attempt to scroll for an hour! )

Color palette selection much less smooth.

The one thing you did correct.

I do like the blue box zoom way better

Evernote Penultimate update, well done Evernote you succeeded in losing hundreds of customers with one update.

Like many others with physical impairments, being able to use Penultimate in it's previous format was an absolute boon. Now, in its current format it's absolutely useless. I don't need to list all the problems because I can see that many, many former users have done it for me, and they are just the ones who had time to find the forum.

Come on Evernote show that you're not just a faceless company, listen to what your customers actually want and restore what was once a fantastic app, one that played a large part in assistive technology. Obviously if you want to keep the pretty stuff, that's fine change the colour of the notebooks but we need pages we can turn, and we need to be able to write on those pages IN ZOOM with our fingers because many of us cannot hold a stylus or pen.

I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I hate this update to Penultimate.  I have to 2-finger scroll through my notes now?  I no longer have a "thumbnail" view to use?  So, on a notebook that I've been treating like a journal type notebook, I now have to SCROLL through 40 or 50 pages to find something, instead of being able to use a thumbnail view to jump to a page?  "Pages" are, in fact, gone, since it's one long note now?  Also, the response time to the stylus is MUCH slower and glitchier than it was (rendering handwriting much less legible), and the ERASE feature now doesn't fully erase things, and leaves behind fragments of things that should be erased.  Awful, awful changes.  This used to be like writing in a Notebook, and that's what I loved about it.  I'll now be looking for a new app like Moleskin or something, and finding a way to sync that to my Evernote account.  What a shame.  Who thought these would be good changes?  Awful.  

Tony, are you still experiencing the issue of the writing being much slower and glitchier? Seems like there may be an issue with that when you first sync. If so it naturally goes away. Have you seen any improvement? Thanks for your feedback. We will take this into account and I hope upcoming releases address some of your issues. 

There is a reason for all people using pages and book style format. Ancient egyptian scrolls sucks. Do you imagine a lawyer preparing his case exposition with a huge kitchen paper roll? Or a musician in a concert rolling the w.c. paper roll? Or a storyboard designer with a cart full of wallpaper rolls?

I think you, guys, forgot that penultimate is not a writing app. On a text edit app you can scroll down easily, but we are using Penultimate for storyboarding, interface design, planification, music writting, visual concept... all of those are not suitable for continuos scrolling. Need to be searchable, tumbnailable, sortable.

Also is a beaufitul detail from you to convert all landscape notes to an infinite vertical nightmare.

As it is now, i think this drawing define what Penultimate has become:

B2eXXPZIgAADAHI.jpg

I can no longer use this app.  Does anyone have a list of alternatives?  So far I have found Moleskin and Notes Plus.  I am a roof inspector and mainly use this app to annotate aerial pictures of buildings.  I tried using this new version and had to revert to graph paper.  

I guess maybe this would be a great app for note taking?  Hate to break the news, but but everyone else using this app for different purposes and having tweaked their techniques to fit the original pen ultimate design are forced to start from scratch and look elsewhere.  

I'm sorry Penultimate but your logic is flawed on the Physical Notebook Metaphor.  Having separate pieces of paper, in separate notebooks IS THE LOGICAL way that the majority of people, throughout the world, for thousands of years have taken notes.  Its not going to change any time soon and Penultimate has made a terrible mistake trying to force their users to accept their alternate reality.

My advice.  Give us back the old app and re-name and re-market this 6.0 version as something else. 

If anyone reading this review has any app alternative suggestions, it would be much appreciated.  I need to import pictures from my camera role, into a page, which i can add comments via a pen, and export into a pdf which mimics 11.5 x 8.5 paper.

Evernote CEO response below. Some focused attention. I would imagine that they will change/fix technical issues fast with v6.. Also probably get a manual/video explaining the upgrades and how to use ...especially for loyal users, to make it work "like" version 5. Shocking to see such an transforming upgrade to come without any instructions.

A fast rollback to v5 would be good...but will be interesting to see if they can technically can pull off and if they want to given the v6 development commitment. It has been painful and interesting to watch this car wreck live. Will be interesting to see how they unwind it all...and hopefully not continue it.

post-234469-0-84657400-1416253638_thumb.

I'm not happy with this at all! I don't sync my stuff much, but this update forced me to sign in. Then it proceeded to sync without asking or informing me. I wouldn't have minded except it deleted all my recent notes and restored old crufty ones. How do I get my old notes back? Not all of us spend all of our time in a permanent date of syncing with everything, but when we do we expect syncing to behave properly! And at least to be asked if we want to do it first. Ironically I was considering getting the Adjonit pen but after this experience I may look elsewhere for note taking facilities.

I also seem to have lost all my old notes after the upgrade and being forced to sign in. Is there any way to get these back??

Your notes are likely still there. All of your pages are now in one continuously scrolling note. All of those notes now are found in an Evernote notebook. If you have notes in other Evernote notebooks you can access them by tapping or pulling down on the notebook icon above the notebook name in the top of the note list. So I'd try scrolling down in notes you can see or browsing those Evernote notebooks for notes that may appear to be lost. I hope that makes sense and I'm sorry for any confusion. 

Evernote how are you planning to sort this out?  

I am truly disappointed with the newest version of Penultimate, so much so that I was forced to comment here and have never, ever, done so on any chat site/discussion forum in my entire life. 

I tried my Jot stylus, which was really bad before.  It is worse than ever, now.  The ink shows up about 1/4 inch above where I'm actually touching the screen.

Is your stylus connected? Make sure it is turned on and that the stylus icon is illuminated and has a bluetooth icon in it. Also, changing the wrist position in the stylus menu often helps.

This car-crash of an update really ruins what was a perfectly good app, in the name of "re-design". I think Evernote fundamentally misunderstood how most Penultimate users actually use the app, and what their unique selling point was. The drift-by-writing-speed for example was the single most important feature of Penultimate. How anyone could release an update without that is beyond my comprehension. Also, the old Penultimate actively encouraged having large notebooks with many pages of notes. Going from that straight to a system that can't handle very long notes with many pages because there is no page thumbnail overview really amounts to an insult to your most active users. As many people on this forum, on Twitter and in the App Store have said: the writing experience is now MORE cumbersome than it was before. What exactly did you try to achieve with this update, other than making it look "more iOS8" for the sake of it?

I would also like to hear what people are switching too. I have looked at a half dozen alternatives but none that give me what Penultimate 5 did. The closest I have found is Inkflow Plus for $7.99.

Now would be a great time for Microsoft to put a handwriting app fir OneNote on the App Store.

Best hope is that Evernote gives us he old version back. But they haven't said a word on their own board in almost 2 days.

I was excited to learn Evernote was going to update Penultimate. I use Evernote every day – and love it. Penultimate has been handy as well to jot quick notes, make sketches and diagrams, etc. and sync all that information to Evernote. But this update is very disappointing to me and feels, in many ways, like a step backward.

I like the some aspects of the clean crisp interface; it matches the design language of iOS 8 pretty well. I also appreciate all the free papers; that's a nice benefit for premium subscribers.

Unfortunately, the list of dislikes is a bit longer.

• Navigation throughout the app will take some getting used to. It's less than intuitive.
  • I'm no longer able to tell Penultimate where to sync to Evernote. I don't want separate notebooks corresponding to each Penultimate notebook in my Evernote stack.
  • The endlessly-scrolling list metaphor is far less efficient than the previous page-flipping metaphor, especially since the thumbnail view has been removed. Navigating long notebooks is tedious.
  • And the two-finger scrolling? Not a fan.
  • It's not clear how to insert or move pages. Was this feature removed? If so, this is an example of a step backward.
  • Another step backward seems to be the inability to resize inserted photos.

To add insult to injury, the help database wouldn't load; no assistance there, I guess...

Jeff

-You can now use any Evernote notebook you'd like. Notes and notebooks now work exactly like they do in Evernote. Inside Penultimate you have notes with multiple pages. All of those are by default in one Evernote notebook called "Penultimate" - exactly like before. 

-You can long press on an image and resize it using two fingers. 

Hope that helps.

A few things I'd like to share:  

1) I attempted to use one of my Penultimate notebooks during a meeting yesterday, but since I would have had to scroll through 50 pages or so to find what I was looking for, it just didn't work out.  In the past, I've been able to view the thumbnails and find things very quickly in notebooks with many pages.  Thank goodness I had some backup documents on paper.  

2) Fortunately, I just downgraded back to v5.3.1 and feel like some order has been restored in the universe!  At least I can use my old notebooks.  

3) I am making new notebooks in Notability, which again has some major advantages including working/syncing on both my iPad AND iPhone, and backing up to my Google Drive.  I doubt that I will switch back to Penultimate.  

4) I'm even wondering if I should drop Evernote (which I've used for at least 5 years, consider a great system, and would like to continue using reliably and effectively).  I have a lot of useful reference info in Evernote so I hope I can keep using it.

--VB

Switching

I used to use GoodNotes for a long time because I wasn't happy even with the earlier version of Penultimate. It has a lot of good features but sadly takes too long to export to Evernote ...8 taps to be precise.

Noteshelf is worth a look. It organises notes well, has lots of flexibility. An Evernote export works well but you have to pay extra for an add on. It lacks the ability to draw shapes, which as a Sign maker, is useful.

I'm looking at MyScript now, it looks good, but I need to try it more.

Notability is next on my list to try.

Just scanned through some of the developers' Twitter accounts. Here's an interesting tweet:

Isaac Lim: It's very much a first version product because it was a full rewrite, so please bear with us! Working really hard here :)

I feel badly for Isaac and his team, all of whom I am sure are working hard. But who made the decision that this app was ready for release in its current state? This underscores my growing concern that the problem is less with an individual app, and more with Evernote as a company.

As far as I can tell, Bamboo Paper does not support the Adonis Jot Script - Evernote Edition pen though if you already had one of those for penultimate.

I was able to use the Jot Script to write but it's not actually connected to the app like it was in Penultimate. I was not ablate get the app to connect to the pen. 

I use penultimate for teaching streaming my ipad through an apple tv and have been for 3 years. The new update made my hundereds of saved lessons completely worthless. The new scrolling and lack of pages is terrible, the full screen is slower to use than the old screen, and the orientation of ALL of my lesson is now wrong and wont display correctly. Thanks for nothing! Hours upon hours of work made now worthless...i can only hope a new update is coming or at least allow us to download the old version. I've been recommending Penultimate for years and will be looking for a new app starting Monday. Not sure who did the beta testing but they should be fired immediately.

Soooo… how soon is “very soon”?

It's lunch-time already; they've had four full days to respond, including two full work days, and more enough time to hold some crisis meetings to figure out, if not a way forward, then at least some immediate remedial actions.

/me taps watch…

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how long it takes to call Apple and issue a recall?

This upate is beyond horrible! This was my most used app on my ipad and now, its completely unusable! I have 1000s of pages of notes in there, and without thumbnail viewing, its completey useless. I have used penultimate since it first launched, well before evernote bought it. If this is not corrected soon, i will sadly have to find another app to use, and probably print out all my current notes so i can actually view them! Just horrible!!

Hello Penultimate team,

I hope you understand all the complaint's. Congratulations, penultimate its the first program that earns a one star Rating in the app Shop from me.

I do not want to repeat all that has already been stated.

I want my notebooks back ,

I want the pages back

I want to write as I used to

To make a long story short, I want the old version.

Than you have the time to rethink, and we could go on with our work.

I have seriously tried to work with v 6.0 and the later released update to it. It's absolutely impossible to work with it. My JotScript (purchased aug. 14, 2014) looses connection al the time / writes fractions and eats batteries like crazy.
Page handling is awful so is the menu structure etc..etc... 

I have removed the app completely and switched to Wacom Bamboo Paper.. a great note-taking app, like a note taking app should be! Bamboo Paper has an interface with Evernote to store the notes and by the way their stylus is awesome.

Evernote .. get rid of Penultimate.. don't waist your time on such a ***** app.. make a deal with an existing note taking app builder (like wacom) and focus on Evernote!!

Extremely disappointed with Evernote.. your message that you heard us is just for show and with the amount of negative responses the only way possible to respond..Evernote didn't solve anything except 2 quick fixes.

I will start looking for an alternative for Evernote as well. 

Sera all,

The New app is very nice.... but....

Why did u eliminate the "thumbnail" view?

How can I have an overview of my notes without scrolling 50 pages?

AND EVEN WORST.... All my notes are flipped by 90 degress! Basically I cannot read my old notes anymore!!

I have to add my voice to all the complaints about the new version. It really is terrible. This is not what I signed up for. I have tried going through my old notes and finding ithis new version very difficult to navigate. It is not intuitive at all. Also not impressed there was no advance warning within the tool that such a major change in useability was being deployed. I use this tool for work and need access to the old version urgently. If that is not possible I'll be cancelling my subscription.

After more of 300 Penultimate notes in the last year, most of them synced to Evernote, I spent 24 hours trying to find a good alternative to the last Penultimate upgrade.

I've tried Notes Plus, Goodnotes, Notability, Noteshelf, Zoom Notes, etc. but in the end I decided for Bamboo Paper. Here is why.

I need

- a simple note taking app,

- - with the most used commands just in an easy place to reach (change color or point, cancel a word or delete the entire page);

- - with a large page for my handwritten notes. I'm not used to write in the zoom window, as I often need to make links on the same page between two different sentences and I draw on the whole page;

- a good palm recognition, as I usually rest my hand on the screen to have a clearer writing (Bamboo is the only one I can use even with a normal Jot Pro, without bluetooth connections, getting a perfect writing without any other sign on the page);

- high speed in the ink flow;

- connection with email and dropbox or evernote (it is not synced but I can easily send to dropbox either the complete memo or single pages of it);

- import images or photos.

- see the single pages of the memo and work on them separately

I know it has no voice recording (neither Penultimate), but I use CaptureAudio, which can place bookmarks during the recording and can sync with dropbox.

I must say that it palm recognition is even better than the old Penultimate...

Sera all,

The New app is very nice.... but....

Why did u eliminate the "thumbnail" view?

How can I have an overview of my notes without scrolling 50 pages?

AND EVEN WORST.... All my notes are flipped by 90 degress! Basically I cannot read my old notes anymore!!

I hate this update and, in fact, I cannot use it now. I came to do a schematic drawing and I just can't. I used to love sketching in PU, landscape or portrait, using the thumbnails to switch between pages, zooming when needed. Made it easy and fun. But tonight I am using paper.

I have seen "the announcement" but I can't see how I am going to get back the features that made this one of the best apps there is. Or was. I am looking for another solution.

I am a Penultimate fiend and expert user. I have more than 150 notes on my iPad and in Evernote. 

I upgraded today and I wish I hadn't. 

The app is utterly unusable and some of the great features that used to make Penultimate so great are gone: two finger zoom is not working, and panning is dysfunctional.

I am very unhappy, I hope you will fix this soon. 

I also used the Evernote Jot Script and it worked beautifully until I upgraded now it doesn't. 

Very disappointing.

After more of 300 Penultimate notes in the last year, most of them synced to Evernote, I spent 24 hours trying to find a good alternative to the last Penultimate upgrade.

I've tried Notes Plus, Goodnotes, Notability, Noteshelf, Zoom Notes, etc. but in the end I decided for Bamboo Paper. Here is why.

I need

- a simple note taking app,

- - with the most used commands just in an easy place to reach (change color or point, cancel a word or delete the entire page);

- - with a large page for my handwritten notes. I'm not used to write in the zoom window, as I often need to make links on the same page between two different sentences and I draw on the whole page;

- a good palm recognition, as I usually rest my hand on the screen to have a clearer writing (Bamboo is the only one I can use even with a normal Jot Pro, without bluetooth connections, getting a perfect writing without any other sign on the page);

- high speed in the ink flow;

- connection with email and dropbox or evernote (it is not synced but I can easily send to dropbox either the complete memo or single pages of it);

- import images or photos.

- see the single pages of the memo and work on them separately

I know it has no voice recording (neither Penultimate), but I use CaptureAudio, which can place bookmarks during the recording and can sync with dropbox.

I must say that it palm recognition is even better than the old Penultimate...

One other option that works well is inkflow plus.

Hey Rob, I have a copy of the .ipa - only problem is when you upgrade it reformats the data. So you reinstall your old .ipa and resync  The data will not be picked up by the old .ipa. You do however have a clean copy of Penultimate to use.

Personally on my iPad I because i had upgraded tried

back up iPad in iTunes

delete version 6 penultimate

restore ipad as i have latest version 5 on my computer

got proper Penultimate back as a clean version

No data though as the formatting seems to have changed

so for my purposes basically useless as I cannot run the version 5 and 6 as separate applications

OH I loathe the scrolling feature - leaves marks you then have to clean up which erases parts of notes you then have attempt to put back WHAT a F*** up

Please developer your ideas might be great - however you NEVER tested them to see how workable they are in situ - ever 

I will do another post in hope evernote will give us either functionality or a way to reverse the process until the version 6 actually works

nonikwe

Hey Nonikwe,

Thanks for the info. I have managed to find in one of my archives an older version, thus tried to reinstall, but eventually faced the same as you have.

The older version can't deal with the accumulated notebooks I have, which has been altered with version v6.

Although I loved the old and sincerely hate the new one, there was no way to stick with this rubbish..

I have jumped ship onto GoodNotes 4. To tell you the truth, it was a wise decision, couldn't be happier with it.

All I can say, Good riddance Evernote

I like the appearance of this edition and the 1pt writing tip.  Works well with the Jot Script.  However, the Drift function is MISERABLE compared to last version.  Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, it only goes one speed.  It does not vary with writing speed and is difficult to keep up with the pace. 

I like the new way of creating single notes that sync to evernote notebooks, instead of the "dedicated" Penultimate notebooks we used to have. It's a step further to full penultimate/evernote integration. However, the most important functionality of penultimate, handwriting notes is now poorly implemented, compared to version 5. I use a bamboo stylus, that used to work very well and now, my writing became sluggish and the zoom function, now at the bottom of the screen is definitely a step back from former version. Please, bring back the handwriting quality of version 5 into this version and we will have a winner!

I use Penultimate for work and have a lot of work to do this weekend. I am stopped in my tracks with this new update. Without thumbnail view I can't quickly move between my pages as I need to do. I don't see how to move pages around in the note. I don't see how to move pages into other notes. 

And the worst thing is that when I decided I would just go with it until this was all fixed, I can't write notes any longer! When I write it isn't showing up correctly. I can't read what I have written. Stuff has disappeared. I now have to completely change my work methods until this is corrected. But will it be changed back? How long do I wait around for something like this? 

Has anyone found another app that is a good replacement?

I had told everyone I know to switch to Penultimate and now I am calling them all to tell them not to update. I even bought my daughter and iPad JUST so she could use this app to take notes at college! 

I'll first say, I do love EN.

That said - I'm completely disappointed.

I'm an early adapter for all the products - and although penultimate wasn't perfect - it was functional - and an integral part of my daily life.

Today it is not - period.

I certainly hope my friends out west figure out some fixes sooner than later.

Two suggestions...

First - support the JOT Touch buttons.  I use Adobe, so buying the EN script wasn't realistic.  Also, better performance would be appreciated (utilize the BLE more).  

Second - iPhone six plus...  I'd prefer EN on the forefront of the apps (most are positioning to write apps for iphone/ipad as an integrated app.

Thanx - and my fingers are crossed , as I have using OneNote to take  notes in meetings (it resides on a couple thousand dollar tablet, penultimate sat on an disposable  ipad) - and further - integration of those notes - I'd prefer pen ultimate...

In the short term, a simplified downgrade method would be appreciated (I don't have time to sift and browse and try - I need a solution).

B.

When I read that Penultimate was going to be totally redone, I hung on hoping for major improvements.  Unfortunately I'm seeing minor improvements (somewhat cleaner interface, a highlighter tool), but some major steps back:

• Horrendous zoom scroll feature - no way you can write to keep up with it
  • No longer can you resize imported photos - what a pain
  • Loss of thumbnail view - this was a HUGE help
  • The homescreen is a step back from the prior one.

What a shock to find my 15 notebooks with 100s of pages turned into 15 notes!

Bye, bye, Penultimate.

I tried Bamboo Paper and Noteshelf. Noteshelf it is!

I am using the Bamboo Fineliner stylus which worked perfectly in penultimate 5, although it was not officially supported. In the update it did not work anymore.

For those interested: The Bamboo Fineliner works even better in Noteshelf than in the Bamboo Paper App.

Some here seem to suggest that Evernote and Penultimate need to be dumped together. I don't agree. Penultimate is a problem but Evernote hasn't changed, it's still the great app it always was.

I hope they don't stuff that up too because my whole business depends on it.

No no no no no.

Imagine my surprise when I open my open to take notes for class and 4 of my classes where suddenly in one notebook. I spent half the class trying figure out what happened because there is no way a successful company such as your self would mess everyone up like that. To top it off, I was called out in class for not paying attention because I was trying to sort out what happened to my notes.

One to the app itself, the eraser. It is too big. I'm sick of having to put my stylist 2 cm from the thing I'm trying to erase. The pin doesn't write smooth. Sometimes it doesn't event realize I'm writing. The zoom is so much worse. I liked the way it was before. I like that the play didn't run all the way across the screen when I wasn't writing. I liked that it followed my writing speed. I like the anchor option. What you have now is just terrible. Change it back. I miss the actual notebook feel. That's why I switched to this app.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm too upset to remember. Everyone here feels the same way so just put it back.

I have registered solely for the purpose of adding to the chorus of dismay. It is apparant both that this product is significantly inferior to its predecessor (expensive stylus worked perfectly prior to upgrade but is horrible now) and that Evernote had no concept of how penultimate users used the app. No thumbnails? What the....? No pages - you have got to be kidding. This was my single most important business tool. It is now useless to me. I am new to Evernote and could not be less impressed. Either revert to the prior version or fix this prior to Monday or I am lost to you.

I also seem to have lost all my old notes after the upgrade and being forced to sign in. Is there any way to get these back??

Hi guys,

I have to agree with many of the others here....Penultimate has been my go-to note taking app throughout grad school and I am extremely disapointed with this new update.

1) The "ink" in all my previous notes is too thick and renders much or my small writing illegible

2) I agree with others, the scrolling feature is very frustrating when I have large notebooks full of information that I want to jump through

3) the app responds very slowly to my writing now and makes my handwriting much messier. I can hardly draw a good circle, even in zoomed in mode.

Is there anyway I can downgrade? At least so I can export my 2 1/2 years worth of class notes in a legible format? This is really a discouraging update, it pretty much made this an entirely new app.....please let me know if there's anyway I can get back to how things were.

Thanks,

Chris

To the other users like myself who find this unusable: what are your recommendations for other ipad writing apps to consider? Appreciate the help.

A stand alone app is likely the way to go. Being an R&D person, it is clear to me that the Pentultimate approach is being destroyed as we know it so it "works like" Evernote. I (we) don't want it to and this will likely be the core issue...unless they capitulate openly, and soon enough. I doubt if they (Evernote) will capitulate as they as the big bosses are an Evernote team, not a Pentultimate team. They will smugly be ok with losing Pentultimate core users with the promise of a new future (they hope). It will take them a long while to figure out the right vs wrong approach.

Net, we need to find a new app for ourselves. What is your recco for a writing app to consider?

Here's the response I got from Twitter ..... They are " sending critical feedback to developers and product managers": bad news. PM's and Developers will have will either convince management to stick it out, or do say oopsie and undo their own bold work :(

Steve Moore

@St50moore

Ugh, can not scroll between pages in new Pentultimate 6.0.. Fix now I can not get back to previous notes @penultimateapp - 13 Nov

More Tweets

Steve Moore

@St50moore

Are you going to go back to thumbnails and page flips? Or are we stuck with the disaster of scrolling? @evernotehelps: @St50moore Thank you. - 14 Nov

Evernote Helps

@evernotehelps

Follow Follow

@St50moore I've passed your feedback and suggestions along to our devs and PMs. Thank you.

Add my voice to the negative response list. Abandonment of the notebook metaphor was a huge mistake. I'm going to the App Store now to give you a one star rating.

To be totally accurate, they haven't abandoned the notebook metaphor, they've just aligned the Evernote and Penultimate metaphors. 

It used to be that Penultimate had its own Evernote notebook, which in Penultimate didn't correspond to anything or have any meaning. You ended up with a strange incoherence:

Penultimate                            Evernote

Notebook               =               Note

Note                       =               Content within an Evernote note

Now as of Penultimate 6.0:

Penultimate                            Evernote

Notebook              =                Notebook

Note                      =                Note

Note content        =                 Note content

While I have a huge number of gripes with Penultimate 6.0, the alignment of the metaphors between EN and Penultimate is not one. I am grateful they have done this. Now, I think their execution is not without some problems, for example, the absence of pagination (or perhaps, the conversion of previously paginated content into non-paginated content). 

I ultimately think this alignment will spare a great deal of confusion and will (already has) facilitated some greater flexibility with respect to how notes (by which I mean both Penulimate and Evernote notes, since they are the same thing) can be organized. Again, a few issues with this execution, among a slew of other much more significant issues. But in general, this metaphor change is welcomed by me. 

Thanks very much jsessler for this - easy downgrade instructions!  Just to pile on with the many comments here already, I am hoping 6.1 will bring back much of what we all loved about 5.x .  Individual pages are just fine for me - preferred actually.  Easier to organize and rearrange.  Variable speed drift, and honestly I liked the greyed out version of the large page under the full screen zoom - easier than the upgrade to use.  Thumbnails are crucial as well - a feature that is now gone.    Until this is all fixed, I'm sticking with version 5 and have turned off automatic updates. 

Here are the downgrade instructions again - very happy to have this wonderful, functional everyday tool back.

To everyone on this forum:  You can get the old version back - follow these instructions exactly, but be sure to turn off all automatic update to apps and automatic downloads to apps in your settings first.  Otherwise you will have the same problem:

How do I downgrade an iPhone app to a previous version?

So you were tired of those home screen badge numbers showing up on the App Store icon and you updated your iPhone apps on the go. Now whenever you use one of these updated apps it doesn't work properly or you don't like the so-called improvements made by the developer. How can you downgrade to the previous version?

1. Delete the app from your iPhone.

2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.

3. Do not update your apps in iTunes. Back up and sync your iPhone using iTunes.

4. When the sync is complete, click your iPhone in the left iTunes menu under DEVICES. Click the Apps tab at the top of the iTunes window. Find the app you wish to downgrade under Sync Apps.

5. Make sure the box is checked next to the app you wish to downgrade. Click the Apply button.

6. The old version of the application will be copied from your computer to the iPhone.

If you have already updated the application on your computer, or synced your iPhone before deleting the new version of the app you must follow this step first. Open the trash can or recycling bin and look for the older app version (this file will end with the suffix .ipa).

http://www.iphonefaq...archives/971543

Thank you so much for this! I got my old PU back and with all my notes. 

And I'm so sorry for anyone stuck with this terrible update. Never again will I just automatically update an app before hearing the buzz on it first. Unfortunately there weren't any reviews when this update became available, and I just trusted EN to know what it was doing. Everything in the update made writing a chore. The laggy response from the stylus, to the layout and the user experience which doesn't correspond elegantly to real life experience at all. 

I understand you guys want to keep up with the trends, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I actually enjoy the act of writing. If not for the need to save paper and reduce waste and clutter, I would just use regular pen and paper. Old Penultimate was closer to that than any other note taking app on the market. Judging from this update, you totally didn't get that. :/ 

This was the ONLY app that prevented me from buying a MS Surface...I guess you made that decision a lot easier for many users. This is a totally different app!! (And please don't use the "we know what you want - Apple world view") this WAS a great product.

I have a similar post in another thread. The rotation problem has made my notes a pain to use. I won't rehash the many, many issues that others have explained so well.

I switched to Penultimate from Note Taker HD. Note Taker is a great app developed by Dan Bricklin. Dan is credited with developing the first spreadsheet and he's always provided solid, responsive support. After using Evernote for a year as my online database, collection etc. I thought I would give Penultimate a try. The value was in the integration and ability to search.

I'm going back to Note Taker, it's a paid for app ($4.95) and has solid performance. I have hundreds of pages of notes in both systems. Ping me offline if you are interested in learning more about the features.

Cheers

Have been a HUGE fan of penultimate since day 1.  NO LONGER!!  They have completely ruined the program with this 6.0 update and I cannot get any help from Evernote support.  Each time I ask about switching back to old version or asking about whether they are going to change things back to page-by-page access that allows sending a page or clearing a page, etc. instead of the toilet paper roll scrolling they went to, I get a canned response that talks about the have included a "brand new interface" and here is a link to our frequently asked questions. 

So, I ask the forum three questions:

1) Has anybody successfully gotten an answer from them as to whether they are going to return to any feature from the previous version (and particularly the page-by-page ability)?

2) Has anybody figured out how to revert back to the old version and get rid of 6.0?  If so, please share.

3) Does anybody have a recommendation on another handwriting app that is as good as penultimate WAS and that allows the page-by-page scrolling, clearing, and sending? 

Thank you!!!

I really wanted to like this update, but I can't.  I own the Jot Script, and this is ridiculous.  I had 7 notebooks in Penultimate before the update, now I have 3.  I want the ability to page through like an actual notebook back.  This being one long note doesn't work for me at all.  I had a notebook I just scratched random things in, now that has been sucked into another notebook for no reason.  I liked being able to keep all my notes from my board meetings in one place, starting on a new page, now all the pages are together with these giant gaps in them.  

How do I move a note to a new notebook?

How do I move a part of a note to a new note?

Can I take parts of the long notes that were individual pages, and make them separate notes?

I really need this app to work, and with this new update, I am afraid that won't.  I am going to have to start looking for an alternative, I really liked having everything in one place, in all my devices.  Please fix this ASAP. :(

Either revert to the prior version or fix this prior to Monday or I am lost to you.

As an app developer myself I can say that Apple's app review process takes an average of 5 days. Therefore, I think chances of an update (even just resubmission of the 5.0 code as 6.0.1) being available by Monday is slim; not because of Evernote.

Archived