New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Stephane Lo

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I previously reported in the forum 'New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 Beta': "Sometimes when I single click on a "shortcut" to select it, the "shortcut" disappears: it's happened to various "shortcuts". Not a huge problem: I just go down into my "tags" and create a new "shortcut". Has anybody else experienced this?"

I have since upgraded to '6.0.4.1688 (301688) Public': the problem still exists.

Good Morning Stephane

Really like the updates you have included and I'm excited to see that development continues on the Windows version.  

However there is an item that consistently seems to be missing from the Windows client: the ability to to hand-write and draw within notes.  This functionality seems to be available in every other platform with the exception of Windows.  Please, please, please add this in - I'm at the point where this is such a real and present issue that when I Google 'evernote to onenote migration' I can see that Microsoft now have official support to move me to OneNote where I can do this:  

https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/11/make-the-move-from-evernote-to-onenote-today/

I started my paperless journey in OneNote years ago and jumped ship to Evernote because the sync across devices worked reliably and the clean interface was intuitive with adaptation to each platform.  Evernote introduced business support and as CTO I rolled it into my business where it thrived.  However, Windows10 & Surface are now a thing - and a thing the whole company will move to.  This is not going away.  I need apps that play well with a touch enabled Windows based devices - Evernote is my only app that doesn't.  Microsoft have removed my other barriers to return to OneNote (took them long enough but they are there now).

I'm not the only one this applies to - Microsoft have moved and their mass-market product now has the capability to be an Evernote-killer.

Help me out - keep the faith - pls add touch support in the Windows client quickly!

Cheers,

Nick

I am using three evernote accounts. In the add user button only two accounts are being stored. This is in EN 6.0.6.1769 (windows). The three accounts are part of my daily workflow. Please review and allow to store in the user switch more than two accounts.

As an evernote business user I can't now create a new note on the fly unless I select a specific business notebook to create the note in. If I want to create a new note it defaults to my default personal notebook so I can't add business tags, I now have to move the note from personal to business then add the business tags. A big step backwards in productivity. Can business users have an option to create a note in a default business notebook so it is a business note.

DATA CORRUPTED AFTER UPGRADE!!!

After the upgrade to this newest release, I created a new note. This seems OK in the windows evernote, but in the Android version, the title of the new note is mixed with the content of an existing note !!!

Please solve this crosstalk as soon as possible, I don't dare to use evernote anymore :-)

13 hours ago, lisec said:

I use a tag called "archive". If I don't want to see anything old I search for the tags I need and I add -tag:archive.  Easy and works for everything. Maybe that would do the trick?

This works for searches, but not when you're adding tags to notes.

Congrats for achieving this milestone. I'm happy to see lately that EN is paying close attention in upgrading this great tool. And here goes the "yes, but...."

Well, Atlas is lost and I'm not happy. I used to use a lot the Atlas feature to search for notes I took with my cellular device in a specific location, and I guess I'm not the only one who did it.

Please, bring it back

Cheers

6 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Typing a notebook or tag in the search bar use to suggest "notebooks" and "tags", making a quick way to get to a notebook or tag.

That seems to be gone now? :(  

Correct, welcome to the club. The old way was nice and quick. The new way is inefficient and quite annoying in my opinion.

Windows 10, Evernote 6.0.6.1769

Previously the Copy Note Link context menu item copied the note title and uri as - <a href="blah blah" style="color:#69aa35">Title</a> - into the clipboard, viz:

<a href="evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/" style="color:#69aa35">CRASH 2: Radical Reality is the only thing that can save us now</a>

Now all I get is the uri

evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/

I use EN Note links extensively within EN and within other applications to link to EN.  This is more than annoying, IMO meaningful Note Links were EN's best feature, for me their lack removes 90% of the rationale for using EN!

Is there an old version I can revert to whilst you're fixing this, I'm reticent to do it without advice because a recent update did a database conversion of some sort.

Phil D - Ψ³

On 5/2/2016 at 8:40 AM, Kevin Becklin said:

I'm having the exact same problem.

I was told this morning that EN no longer supports Outlook 2007 - that is a bummer. Not sure how that decision was made

On 5/5/2016 at 10:26 AM, jshanker said:
One side effect I'm noticing of the move away from a gray border around the note space to being white on white is that there's no longer any indication of where I can click to put my cursor into a note. In v5 I could see the white space of the note between the last word of the note and the gray space outside. Clicking anywhere in that white put my cursor at the end of the note and I could begin writing.

In v6 I have to click very close to the end of the existing note content (like within 1 row) in order to insert the cursor, otherwise I'm clicking in what used to be the gray space and nothing happens.

This applies to new notes as well. In prior versions I had a large space to click in to begin editing a new note, now I have a very narrow space available and no visual indicator of where that space is.

Compare this to MS Word, where if you click anywhere on a page, even if there's only one word at the top of the page, it puts your cursor in the last line of the existing text and lets you start editing.

@jshanker: Has there been any response to this? I just started using Evernote this week and immediately found this to be a point of frustration. Current version is 6.5.4.4720

Version 6.0 is a definite improvement - thanks. I like the way search works. One new bug to report is that the keyboard shortcuts Alt-Left arrow and Alt-right arrow (used to navigate history) are broken if you open a note in a separate window. When you try to navigate in the note window it actually operates in the main Evernote window! Very confusing. It works fine if you use the mouse on the < and > icons in the notes toolbar so it should not be hard to fix.

I am on Windows 10

Thanks.

I'm sorry to be such a whiner about the new way of handling tags. But I'm really starting to miss how the old search box worked. You could just start to type in the name of a tag and a list of applicable tags would appear. So nice and easy. Now, the search box only works for text searches. Sure, I know you can still search for tags. But it's way more cumbersome now. You either have to go to the Tags label in the left pane - which for me often involves scrolling up multiple pages because I have so many tags. Or you can expand the search box, click on the tags icon and search for a tag that way. But this involves more clicks than necessary in my opinion, plus the expanded search box takes up too much real estate anyway (what's the use case for being informed all-the-frikkin'-time about how many documents in the trash can fit your search criteria???). 

I know the old design wasn't perfect, but it was sooo much more efficient. The new design is prettier, but I would gladly trade it in for the old. This is, after all, supposed to be a productivity tool, right? Could we at least have a super-quick way to search for tags back? Thanks!

PS: thanks for bringing back saved searches, that was awesome!

34 minutes ago, motz said:

One new bug to report is that the keyboard shortcuts Alt-Left arrow and Alt-right arrow (used to navigate history) are broken if you open a note in a separate window. When you try to navigate in the note window it actually operates in the main Evernote window! Very confusing. It works fine if you use the mouse on the < and > icons in the notes toolbar so it should not be hard to fix.

I think it works the way it should. You know you have a certain note open... why would Alt+Left/Right arrow not navigate back or forward on the main interface? Also, I don't see the navigating click-on arrows that you're talking about in a pop-out note (or in the notes toolbar). I only see that on the main UI. 

12 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Actually, because v6 now automatically tags a new note with the tag you have selected/opened (like folders in Windows and just like notebooks in earlier versions of EN), there is no longer any reason to use notebooks at all if you want a folder structure

Yes - but this is not my point. Your view is the view of an Evernote expert - the mass of the 150 Mill. users are not an expert. People start the app, they see "Oh - here are notebooks - fine!". If a company want to survive on the market they have to focus experts and novices.

Hello.
Side panel (left) looks good with a minimalist form. I do not understand, when you click on the icon pops up search notebooks.
Better when you click on the notepad icon leaves the panel and when you click on the bookmark panel is hidden. Thus did in the Web version.

Hi, the new look is a huge improvement overall, but some of the long-anticipated changes (coloured tags, of course) have left me rather more frustrated than satisfied: Would it really have been such a big deal to put a customizable colour picker in there? Analogous to Microsoft Word, I imagine Evernote is used by creative people just as much as people in business / people requiring basic uncluttered functionality, and Microsoft Word does a good job of catering to both: Here's a basic selection of well-defined colour options to choose from, plus a simple button to define and set any colour at all! 

Also, on a similar point, it would be nice to have the option to customise the interface generally, to choose a different background colour, especially for the left side-panel so that some of those colours stand out more clearly. But really that should be a no-brainer; for too long Evernote has been a dinosaur in terms of customising how it looks (vitally important for anyone who invests - creatively or personally - in a notebook), and this update - while a sorely needed first step - has just served to impress on me how far there is to go, and how unremarkable Evernote is in this respect.

Finally, a tiny suggestion: I love the colours along the top of the notes in the note list, indicating the tags, but the left hand side border is crying out to be coloured also to indicate the colour of the parent Notebook; i.e. would be lovely to have a quick visual indication of the parent notebook as well as the tags. Perhaps now, with such ideas in mind, you get some idea why a palette of 10 simple colours comes off as more than a bit - frustrating.

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Triste VEDERE Andare. Ti dispiacerebbe Elenco dei Principali 3 Motivi Che Hanno reso l'utilizzo SETTORE di Evernote inefficiente?

1. Lost notes

2. formatting text suddenly disappeared

3. Synchronization between platforms do not work (the tags created in this version is no longer synchronized with Android)

4. new left sidebar does not convince me

5. Persists the absence of hierarchical organization between the notes (available only giving the same extravagant names, preceded by numbers and letters, OneNote, albeit limited, too, but at least something has)

6. I find insufficient the organization through notebooks and stacks. Sometimes I would need to sub-notebooks and sub-stack

7. Evernote Windows suffers always the problem of wide fonts. Even this version has solved. And it is a problem Evernote because with OneNote you see very well.

Just want to add my concern to the loss of the full TAGS page.  I have a deep hierarchy (which will benefit from the ability to display child tags when searching), but when I allocate new tags to a note, they just go to top level.  Then once a month or so I have a tidy, and allocate then to the right place in the hierarchy.  Currently I have two drop down screens of unallocated tags and no easy way to drag and drop them into their right place in the hierarchy.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

Why is EN not responding to this kind of posts. You EN are just picking post that are easy to reply.

This has been responded to.

All tags was removed because they feel it wasn't implemented in the right way, and EN have encouraged everyone to express their feelings about the loss of this function, for what I believe could be priority reasons. Hopefully a new version of the feature will be implemented soon, and hopefully by being less sluggish than in v5.

Shortcuts can be moved back to the left panel with a right click. Merging the shortcut bar with the toolbar is a design choice. There is not really any good reason to respond to design choices as they are subjective and an answer will rarely suit the person complaining about the change either way. The only thing you can do about the design choices is give a good explanation why the design choice is very bad for you, and hope EN or other users agree. I prefer the change.

Outlook 2007 could be a bug, or just a decision to not keep supporting a 10 year old software with 3 successors (Office 2010, 2013, 2016).

Not including HTML code in link copy is also a design choice. I have use for links that can be used directly in a browser, which requires me to delete HTLM code prior to use. Like above, everyone complaining should explain their process a little more in depth if they want EN to understand if the process or something similar is used by other EN users.

tried it out for a minute. seems good overall but i couldn't find the left/right navigation buttons anywhere and the same with the atlas. have these features been removed completely or will they be added back in at some stage?

also, when did adding hyper links/note links to images get removed? ive mostly been using evernote web for the last year so i havnt noticed the change. ive reverted back to version 5.6 for now as i use note links quite a bit to get around evernote but like being able to embed the links in images instead of just having the green link text showing up. 

nice to see some good updates anyway, thanks

2 minutes ago, Bartm said:

I'm sorry to be such a whiner about the new way of handling tags. But I'm really starting to miss how the old search box worked. You could just start to type in the name of a tag and a list of applicable tags would appear. So nice and easy. Now, the search box only works for text searches. Sure, I know you can still search for tags. But it's way more cumbersome now. You either have to go to the Tags label in the left pane - which for me often involves scrolling up multiple pages because I have so many tags. Or you can expand the search box, click on the tags icon and search for a tag that way. But this involves more clicks than necessary in my opinion, plus the expanded search box takes up too much real estate anyway (what's the use case for being informed all-the-frikkin'-time about how many documents in the trash can fit your search criteria???). 

I know the old design wasn't perfect, but it was sooo much more efficient. The new design is prettier, but I would gladly trade it in for the old. This is, after all, supposed to be a productivity tool, right? Could we at least have a super-quick way to search for tags back? Thanks!

PS: thanks for bringing back saved searches, that was awesome!

This is exactly what I'm thinking - I was starting to think I was the only one. In EN5 the search bar was to me a central hub to access everything I needed. Saved searches, recent searches & search suggestions, and the ability to jump straight to notebooks and tags as you type, were all available in a dropdown from the one single search bar. Now its gone.

Okay, so saved searches are back, but they are now at the bottom of my list of notebooks and tags - only the trash is harder to reach - and yes I can still search for notebooks and tags, but not directly from the search bar without typing out notebook: or tag:. Nothing is to logically to hand any more.

A classic case of style over substance in my view. All white looks pretty, but I need visual references to get my bearings and find things. Without contrast this interface is an absolute nightmare to use: the search bar blends into the reminders list which blends into the note list and the note title is lost in the toolbar (and doesn't show the whole title on a small screen device unless you don't have any tools in the toolbar).

I used to enjoy using Evernote but now it's now a constant source of frustration as common tasks are more fiddly and time consuming.

I've lived with a couple of major issues since December (syncing errors on my windows desktop which I was told should be fixed in the next major release (it wasn't) and cannot use the camera of my Lumia 950 phone to scan in documents - still no ETA for a fix), not to mention the issue where the windows store touch client wrecks all formatting of notes. This might well be the final straw for me and I'm currently watching Onenote tutorials.

If I accidentally make a sub tag - let's say: drag'n drop a normal tag below an other normal tag - How can I withdras so that the new sub tag becomes a normal tag? Try it with drag'n drop - getting always sub tags ...

1 hour ago, Frank.dg said:

I think it works the way it should. You know you have a certain note open... why would Alt+Left/Right arrow not navigate back or forward on the main interface? Also, I don't see the navigating click-on arrows that you're talking about in a pop-out note (or in the notes toolbar). I only see that on the main UI. 

I suggest you try it and see if you still agree with yourself. You only see the click-on arrows if you have clicked on a link in the note window (there is no history to navigate otherwise - good design choice from the developer).

It is clearly a bug because the keyboard shortcut does something different from the mouse click (it is also a change from version 5). We can debate which behaviour is wrong, but I think if you try it out you will quickly agree with me. 

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Not at this point. Are you looking for something like right click on Tags item / Expand All / Collapse all ?

keyboard shortcut would be very nicy - something like "Alt + F9" Expand all Tags/Collapse all Tags and "Alt + F10" same thing for notebooks or so ...

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, TommyB said:

If I accidentally make a sub tag - let's say: drag'n drop a normal tag below an other normal tag - How can I withdras so that the new sub tag becomes a normal tag? Try it with drag'n drop - getting always sub tags ...

Drop it on the Tags icon above all the tags.

2 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Why is EN not responding to this kind of posts. You EN are just picking post that are easy to reply.

@AndreasM,

In your first instance of the above quote: #1 and #2 of @IanHinton's have been discussed at length, while #3 is just about unintelligible...

... and then, more importantly, both posts you've quoted were made within the last 24 hours... on a weekend... on a Sunday... outside of business hours. You might want to wait until Monday evening to copy paste your same comment to further post quotes. 

• Level 5
On 5/13/2016 at 10:41 AM, csihilling said:

Not the biggest bug in the world, but if you copy/paste from the note title to the search bar, the font size in the search bar changes to what appears to be the size of the note title.  Doesn't happen if you copy/paste a larger font from the body of a note.  Sample below.

I believe this one is already fixed for the next release. Thank you for reporting!

For the moment I have two big problems now. I use Evernote to organize files and notes but primarily to implement GTD.

One advantage now is that tags are not lost in the toolbar, but on the other hand the title is lost now. It is best not to lose any of them, but title is most important I think, specially in GTD because I write my tasks in titles to see it in the Note List. Step behind here.
Also, titles were in connection with notes before, and now they are separated with other information between: something counterintuitive.
My productivity was very damaged with this change.

Other problem now is the trash icon. If it is at the bottom of sidebar is difficult to access it. I have to down by all my sidebar with so much notebooks and tags unfolded. Really difficult to drag and drop so. Specially in GTD, anew, where drag and drop is very important.
Before there was the same problem but it was less unconfortable to use because trash icon was "only" at the bottom of notebooks.
Please, I need an option to have the trash icon in a comfortable place for drag and drop notes.

• Level 5*
On 5/13/2016 at 0:41 PM, csihilling said:

Not the biggest bug in the world, but if you copy/paste from the note title to the search bar, the font size in the search bar changes to what appears to be the size of the note title.

Sounds like a newbie developer/coder design flaw.  Obviously, the Search box control should be a plain text control.

• Level 5*

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 1:31 PM, gustavgi said:
And as I've mentioned before, if I could ask for only one feature only it would be to bring back the connection between tag/notebook search and the left panel, where a tag search would expand the tag hierarchy and jump to the selected tag in the left panel. Hence the term "jump to". I found the blog post where this was introduced in v4 back in the day It was immensely helpful if you have a tag hierarchy.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 6:30 PM, kvitekp said:

Notebook/Tag Pickers select the chosen notebook and tag in the left panel, however if the selected notebook or tag happen to be in collapsed hierarchy, the selection is not visible. This is a bug, the client should automatically expand the hierarchy to make the selection visible. Thank you for reporting.

I made a short vid showing how the left panel was auto-scrolling and auto-expanding when picking a tag. Hopefully there is some progress on the "expanding bug" you are refering to, but I wouldn't mind an implementation of the old auto-scroll code as well.

Even when hiding the "! sub child tag" two levels deep, the jump in the left panel was instant.

How long do we need to wait to find out if they even plan on bringing the much loved (by some) "All Tags" view?  I posted over a week ago and the first post on the subject were a week before that.  The only feedback I've seen is "keep those options coming".  What does it hurt to bring back the all tags view?  Does it make a major performance difference?  I don't see the down side to bringing it back.  What am I missing here?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AndreasM said:

What is design choice? Is it = to flip upside down or close to it. This is not how improvement (I hope we are talking about improvement here) should work.

Design choice will a lot of time be about compromises, and some will gain and others will lose. It's all very subjective, and it's very easy to be egotistical about design choices that doesn't fit you. I'm there myself from time to time.

People were very sceptical about removing physical buttons on phones ones, and now you barely see a phone with buttons.. And I still see people complain about the new start menu in Windows 10, even though it's even scientifically proven to be a more productive experience if you put 5 minutes into customizing it for your needs as a one-time operation.

Like I said above, I agree with both of the design choices made in this case as I think they are improvements. Whether or not my improvements are more worth than other users loss will depend on which option is the best for most users, and how much of a loss the minority is suffering. That is why it is important to explain how you as a user is suffering from the choices EN is making, unless it's obvious.

However I do care about the functions which are lost for no apparent design reason or any other great reason, like the All Tags page, the loss of the old "jump to tag" function, and the complete loss of nested tags on the current UI on iOS.

57 minutes ago, motz said:

I suggest you try it and see if you still agree with yourself. You only see the click-on arrows if you have clicked on a link in the note window (there is no history to navigate otherwise - good design choice from the developer).

It is clearly a bug because the keyboard shortcut does something different from the mouse click (it is also a change from version 5). We can debate which behaviour is wrong, but I think if you try it out you will quickly agree with me. 

OK... I see what you mean with following a link while in the pop-up note window. The Alt+Left/ Right arrow keyboard shortcuts do not behave as do the clickable navigating arrows. You are correct... and it is an irritant if that is part of your workflow. 

Most likely an oversight on the Windows team's part. I think the behavior is fine if you haven't followed any links in your note window... because I would treat that as a standalone note... but if you are intentionally clicking on note links within a note window, you should be able to navigate back and forward by either using your keyboard or clicking. They need to change that.

Thanks for pointing that out. 

• Level 5*

Not the biggest bug in the world, but if you copy/paste from the note title to the search bar, the font size in the search bar changes to what appears to be the size of the note title.  Doesn't happen if you copy/paste a larger font from the body of a note.  Sample below.

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip1.png

• Level 5*

I think this is a bug, may have been reported, sorry if a double post.

I can't create a note and drag an attachment onto it.  I can copy/paste, but not drag. 

Interestingly, I can drag the attachment over the note list and when I drop it a new note is created.  Even more fun, if the note list is based upon a search, the added note inherits the tags of the search.  Didn't know this existed, cool.

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2016 at 2:42 PM, HerbyDE said:

Version 6.05 = saved searches = absolutly great!!! Thank you for your fantastic job - fast as lightning! :-)

Well, almost back.  Still can't type in the search box and have saved or recent searches appear as in 5.9.  Particular PITA for for those of us who don't use EN with the left panel closed,  :(

I do like the new sliver left panel, means I never have to open the left panel to empty trash again.  :)

EDIT:  My bad.  I just noticed the search magnifying glass in the left hand sliver.  Not quite the same as typing in the search bar to get to the saved search but much easier.  So the full PITA is no more, but a small annoyance remains not being able to search for the saved searches..

1 hour ago, savagecabage said:

i couldn't find the left/right navigation buttons anywhere

If you're talking about the main UI... you'll have to right click on the uppermost toolbar to customize... and a pop-out panel will appear. You can drag icons onto and off the toolbar. If you're talking about the navigation buttons within a pop-out note window's toolbar.... those only appear, as @motz pointed out, once you follow a note link within the note window itself. 

Many people seem to be asking for Atlas back. It may very well appear again, as will saved searches.

• Level 5*

If you are referencing emptying the trash, it you press F10 to close the left panel the trash icon becomes visible in a strip on the left.  You can then right click to empty the trash and F10 to display the left panel again.

If you are referencing deleting notes, you can also delete notes by 1) right clicking and selecting move to trash or 2) adding the Trash icon to the main toolbar and click it when the note to be deleted is highlighted.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, zerodeficit said:

@emerick Has there been any update to this? I am still having the issue with 6.5.4.4720

Hi.  We're a -mainly- user-supported forum,  not a direct line to the company.  If you didn't already do so,  reach out to Support on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new if you;re a paying subscriber or Twitter https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  if not.  Better anyway to post in the release thread for the app you're having problems with -

- and have you already tried DTLow's suggestion of rebuilding the app and the database from scratch?

Search suggestions is gone!!! (This was verified to me from Evernote Support)

I cannot understand the rationale of taking away such a central and hugely helpful feature from a program that is designed to make finding information easier.

Please add it back and for the love of god don't take it away from the Mac version of Evernote! (Which gladly I use more than the Windows version.)

Search suggestions is the Google style automatic list of stuff that Evernote suggests for me when I write a word in the search box. In the example picture the word I typed is 'leadership'. It is SO HELPFUL for me to see the Suggestions, Tags and Notebooks (and even Recent Searches) that are AUTOMATICALLY suggested to me by just typing in a word!

My question to Evernote: Could you please bring this feature back?

Suggestion: You can make the feature better by making it optional with a possibility to turn it off if it is giving performance issues or otherwise someone doesn't like it. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.03.37.png

1 hour ago, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

Have you tried working from the left panel and expanding nested tag hierarchies there? You can now color your tags , which may help to easily locate certain nested hierarchies visually... or you could perform a search rather quickly by either clicking on your tag icon in the left panel, using  Alt+F2/ Shift+Alt+T... or clicking on the tag icon in the note toolbar's search explanation.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, gustavgi said:

All tags was removed because they feel it wasn't implemented in the right way, and EN have encouraged everyone to express their feelings about the loss of this function, for what I believe could be priority reasons

It is this kind of design/product logic (on the part of Evernote) that baffles me.  While I agree that the old Tags View was poor design, it was/is better than nothing.  Why not leave the design in place until you have a better design to replace it?

On 5/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, EdH said:

Deleting a note doesn't close the note. IMHO, when a note that is open in its own window is deleted (Edit|Delete or trashcan icon), the note should also be closed. I am 99% sure that is how 5.x worked, but 6.x isn't. It remains open with the Delete/Restore buttons active.

This is how most other apps work. Delete an open email and it sends to the trash and closes the email window.

The Mac version does close the note when you hit delete.

keywords: EHUnresolved

I just signed up for the forum to echo this point -- I've used Evernote for years and this is annoying. If I delete the note it means I'm done with it -- I don't want to have to take an extra step of closing the note. Yes, this is the most first-world of all first-world problems. Still!

• Level 5*
On 26/07/2016 at 8:32 PM, SarahSP said:

I just signed up for the forum to echo this point -- I've used Evernote for years and this is annoying. If I delete the note it means I'm done with it -- I don't want to have to take an extra step of closing the note. Yes, this is the most first-world of all first-world problems. Still!

Hi,  I'm using the latest beta version 6.2.2 but I can confirm this is still the case.  Worse,  if you set up a test note,  open it in its own window and then delete the note in the list window,  it's possible to go on typing in that note window and close it without any warning that the new work won't be saved anywhere.  The note in the trash only contains the text typed before the point at which it was deleted.

If you hit enter after the title in your note, it will give you some additional spaces at the top of the note to start adding more text.  Sometimes there is a bit of blank space at the top of the page and just put your cursor there.  I have had success with both.

Not sure the tag filtering system is as good as the previous one. Or: I can't figure out the tag button in the Note List pane AT ALL.

I have exactly 1 note in my database that has both the "recipes" and "cats" tag.

I used to click the tag icon under the bar in the Note List and select the "recipes" tag.
From the resulting drop-down filtered list I would select the "cats" tag.
Bingo. Go to kitchen and make felines happy. 

Now? Uh-hum.

I clicked the tag icon and selected recipes.  I got this.

See attached image (I could not see how to insert it inline)

Ok, that's different. So it isn't a drop-down anymore. But that isn't the only difference. Cats doesn't shop up in this list. I think this might be displaying the nested items under my "recipes" tag instead of all notes that include the tag "recipes".  That isn't so great.  Anyway, let's see what happens when I click the tag icon again to select "cats".

Not good.  Exact same list of tags as above with 2 differences:
  1. the cats tag is also included and
  2. the Any was changed to be "All".

And of course no notes were found.
I don't even bother changing "All" to "Any" because that would be like searching for the word "the".

Seems to me the only way I can get both "recipes" and "cats" to work now is to
  1. go through this list of tags and delete each of the tags one by one except for recipes and cats, which is crazy, or
  2. just don't use this method at all and revert to the old search for tag:recipes tag:cats.  NOt the best option when you really DO want to filter tags.

I hope it is a bug and not another design choice.

evernotev6catfoodrecipe.png

6 hours ago, eric99 said:

DATA CORRUPTED AFTER UPGRADE!!!

After the upgrade to this newest release, I created a new note. This seems OK in the windows evernote, but in the Android version, the title of the new note is mixed with the content of an existing note !!!

Please solve this crosstalk as soon as possible, I don't dare to use evernote anymore :-)

I had some time to investigate this further: the new note seems to be OK in the windows and evernote on web; in the Android version, the new note title keeps mixed with an existing note content and I can't get rid of that by resyncing  This is scary, I'm very tolerant for most bugs, but I get nervous when data consistency gets compromised!

@evernote: is this a known bug and/or  is this related to the new windows release (I have never seen this before...) . Maybe the note format is incompatible with the Android version? 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Are you looking for something like right click on Tags item / Expand All / Collapse all ?

Yes!  It would be very helpful to have these options at the top level "Tag" icon (to expand/collapse all tags), and on any tag that has child tags to expand/collapse the hierarchy under that tag.

So to be clear, we would have two ways to show/hide tags in the Left Sidebar:

1. Click on the ▶ button to show or hide the hierarchy under that tag, but retain how the user has shown or hid any sub-tags
    1. Initially, it would just show the next level of tags, and NOT expand any sub-tags.
  2. Right-click on the Tag to fully expand, or fully collapse the entire hierarchy under that Tag.

This would be so powerful.

Does this make sense?

• Level 5*

Something else that may be an error, or best case I don't understand.  The below appears in a few notes.  I suppose it is supposed to be the URL for something, but this is a text note.  There is a note link in this note if it makes any difference.

ScreenClip.png

11 hours ago, AndreasM said:

19 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

Previously the Copy Note Link context menu item copied the note title and uri as - <a href="blah blah" style="color:#69aa35">Title</a> - into the clipboard, viz:

<a href="evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/" style="color:#69aa35">CRASH 2: Radical Reality is the only thing that can save us now</a>

Now all I get is the uri

evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/

I use EN Note links extensively within EN and within other applications to link to EN.  This is more than annoying, IMO meaningful Note Links were EN's best feature, for me their lack removes 90% of the rationale for using EN!

Is there an old version I can revert to whilst you're fixing this, I'm reticent to do it without advice because a recent update did a database conversion of some sort.

Phil D - Ψ³

Thanks AndreasM. 

EN and other experts - my earlier post (above) that AndreasM quoted, has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with tags, notebooks, folders or shortcuts etc

The Copy Link Note feature has been crippled to the point that its ^%$#*! useless.

Despite being old, I am pretty good at coping with change, the various cosmetic changes in this release didn't bother me after an hour or two. I like Win 10 better than Win 7, I much prefer MS Office Ribbons to the chaotic button bars and menus they replaced . 

But I am not good at coping with features being shipped that have been broken - wilfully or accidentally.  From me EN gets 0% for its ability to test - has it not heard of regression testing,

And here's another thing that's broken - The EN extension for Firefox

Capture.JPG

It would be nice if notebook drop-down on the left panel displayed the total number of notebooks I currently have in my account in parenthesis as it used to do with notes dropdown. When I click on the Notebooks the total number of notes in an account is displayed below the search box in the dropdown, which is fine, but it uses the word "All Notebooks" without making clear how many notebooks I currently have. If parenthesis will not work, maybe it can be done the way described below. Since there is 250 notebook limit for personal accounts it will make it easier to keep track of them. Instead of me counting all the notebooks on the screen or worrying about not getting over the limit, since nowhere in Evernote (account area including) it says how many notebooks I have.

Evernote Suggestion.pngis

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi,  I'm using the latest beta version 6.2.2 but I can confirm this is still the case.  Worse,  if you set up a test note,  open it in its own window and then delete the note in the list window,  it's possible to go on typing in that note window and close it without any warning that the new work won't be saved anywhere.  The note in the trash only contains the text typed before the point at which it was deleted.

Well, I didn't think this bug could be worse, but it is! :wacko:

Lost the ability to drag notes to folder shortcuts with new Evernote Windows 6.0.5

Love the new Evernote Windows 6.0.5, but one step back is that when you moved folder shortcuts from the left hand navigation menu to the top menu bar, we lost the ability to drag notes on to the shortcut.

In the previous versions of Evernote Windows, I could position folder shortcuts at the top of the left hand menu and then drag notes on to the folder. Now that shortcuts are at the top, dragging the note on to the folder shortcut simply creates a new shortcut to the note I was dragging.

I would like to be able to create folder shortcuts and then drag notes on to those folders, either on the top or on the left.

42 minutes ago, RightPaddock said:

EN and other experts - my earlier post (above) that AndreasM quoted, has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with tags, notebooks, folders or shortcuts etc

Yep... not every response in this 12-page thread is directed at you @RightPaddock

44 minutes ago, RightPaddock said:

The Copy Link Note feature has been crippled to the point that its ^%$#*! useless.

The only people currently enjoying a Monday morning are the folk down under. Best to sit tight and copy paste the above quote a couple of times during business hours. 

Surely I am just not seeing something here.

How can I view my tag hierarchies?  I spent an awful lot of time sticking tags under a "recipes" heading, and a "when" heading and a "film" heading and I can't see how to get those hierarchical views back.

I select tags in the left pane and they are alphabetical ONLY.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

Now all I get is the uri

Phil D - Ψ³

Did you try holding the Ctrl key as you clicked on Copy note link?

I have a question about how Reminders are displayed in the new release. They used to appear at the top of list in a separate box from the other notes. Is that function still available? I do see that you can now sort reminders by three different parameters which is very nice and a great added feature. I'm at a lost on where the separated out reminder section went to. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Did you try holding the Ctrl key as you clicked on Copy note link?

My understanding is that ctrl/click is about getting a local link for a note in an Online notebook (ie one that's synchronised to the Web). Most but not all of the notes for which I want a link are in a local notebooks.  But yes, I did try it.

All I get in the clipboard is the URI whether its local or online i.e. evernote:///blah.... or h t t p s://www evernote.com/blah.... respectively. In previous versions I got <a href="evernote:///blah...." Note Title></a> for local links, and <a href="h t t p s://www evernote.com/blah..." Note Title></a> for online links.

PhilD

• Level 5*

how do you go back to a previous note when you get there from a hyperlink in a previous note? THere used to be a set of <> buttons to move back and forth between notes reviewed. With 6.0.5 I am having to research for the original note. Am I missing it?

9 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

Yep... not every response in this 12-page thread is directed at you @RightPaddock

The only people currently enjoying a Monday morning are the folk down under. Best to sit tight and copy paste the above quote a couple of times during business hours. 

I was hoping someone might advise me on how to revert to an earlier version.

So what happened to the pivot to Asia. It's not only Down Under that's enjoying Monday morn, also Japan, China, Indonesia, India etc etc - i.e. about half the worlds population!

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, lisec said:

Surely I am just not seeing something here.

How can I view my tag hierarchies?  I spent an awful lot of time sticking tags under a "recipes" heading, and a "when" heading and a "film" heading and I can't see how to get those hierarchical views back.

I select tags in the left pane and they are alphabetical ONLY.

my hierarchy is there in 6.0.5. I do know that the hierarchy is destroyed if you import from an ENEX file - those aren't stored in an export, only on the server. Assuming though that you didn't purge your data and restore with an ENEX file, they should be there. If not, contact support as it sounds like a specific issue and not someting 6.0.5 is missing.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Yes!  It would be very helpful to have these options at the top level "Tag" icon (to expand/collapse all tags), and on any tag that has child tags to expand/collapse the hierarchy under that tag.

So to be clear, we would have two ways to show/hide tags in the Left Sidebar:

1. Click on the ▶ button to show or hide the hierarchy under that tag, but retain how the user has shown or hid any sub-tags
    1. Initially, it would just show the next level of tags, and NOT expand any sub-tags.
  2. Right-click on the Tag to fully expand, or fully collapse the entire hierarchy under that Tag.

This would be so powerful.

Does this make sense?

Or just use the * key when on any major level or top level. That would mirror the Windows * key behavior in Windows Explorer.

Yeah, saved searches needs to be near, if not in, the search bar. I can type in a search here, or I can scroll down 3 pages to find a saved search, then scroll back up to see the results. Also, converting the search to plain English isn't helpful. Just populate the search bar with the text of the search criteria. In that way, it is easy to change a saved search on the fly. This was very much not broken. 

• Level 5*

A couple of questions on search.

1. When you use the search hot key, focus is returned to the search bar but the existing search is still there.  Is there a way to go to the search bar and reset the context at the same time?  Seems there are extra clicks in this version to clear.
  2. When you select a shortcut which points to a note, the notebook of the note becomes the context.  Any way to have the context be All Notes?  Not sure why the assumption that only the notebook of the note is pertinent to the next steps in the search?  Easy enough to select All Notes after clicking the shortcut, but still.

Use case explanation - I have a note in the shortcut bar containing a table of searches (easier for me to manage the less used searches here vs shortcuts).  I have a PhaseExpress hotkey that selects the search text and executes the saved search.  Two clicks and I have the search in play.  Now, the saved search will only search the note notebook unless I click all notes first.  Is there an all notes hot key, or will I be wearing out the All Notes icon?  ;)

EDIT:  Workaround for 2) is to create a search for the one note and that search to the shortcut bar instead of the actual note.  End up in the same place in all notes context.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, lisec said:
Ok, that's different. So it isn't a drop-down anymore. But that isn't the only difference. Cats doesn't shop up in this list. I think this might be displaying the nested items under my "recipes" tag instead of all notes that include the tag "recipes".  That isn't so great.  Anyway, let's see what happens when I click the tag icon again to select "cats".

Seems like your problem should be solved by unchecking the fourth box in the Notes tab under Settings, concerning automatically selecting child tags.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sounds like a newbie developer/coder design flaw.  Obviously, the Search box control should be a plain text control.

Yeah, a little quirk in EM_SETTEXTMODE message implementation on Microsoft side -- it requires _empty_ text to be set into control before the setting is accepted. Just initialized control is not enough, one has to literally set empty text into it.

On 4/22/2016 at 11:31 PM, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

(THANKS TO EVERNOTE TEAM, IT'S BACK AT VERSION 6.1.2!)

tags_evernote2.png

On 4/22/2016 at 11:31 PM, Cao Yi said:

tags_evernote2.png

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, EdH said:

how do you go back to a previous note when you get there from a hyperlink in a previous note? THere used to be a set of <> buttons to move back and forth between notes reviewed. With 6.0.5 I am having to research for the original note. Am I missing it?

The arrows are next to the A button which hides/displays the editing toolbar. They only show if you have actually clicked a link and if you have opened the note in a separate window. If you are reviewing the note in a preview window/note panel, you have to add the arrows to the main toolbar. The fact that they won't show up next to the A in the last scenario might be a "bug", though.

Definitely miss the Atlas feature and hope it will be brought back.  That feature was one of the key things that attracted me to Evernote in the first place (among other things, I use it as a place to gather real estate listings and recreational opportunities - ability to view these on a map is essential).

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

Yeah, saved searches needs to be near, if not in, the search bar. I can type in a search here, or I can scroll down 3 pages to find a saved search, then scroll back up to see the results. Also, converting the search to plain English isn't helpful. Just populate the search bar with the text of the search criteria. In that way, it is easy to change a saved search on the fly. This was very much not broken. 

I agree! Saved searches have no use if they are demoted to the bottom of the left panel.

The reason why they worked so well was because you never had to scroll and loose focus of what you were working with on the left panel.

A compromise that might work for me would be if you were able to pin saved searches to the toolbar in the same way shortcuts can be added to the toolbar.

However, the most natural solution to me would be to add the popout that shows when you now click the magnifying glass when the left bar is F10 minimized, to the magnifying glass in the right end of the search bar.

• Level 5*

There is a bug in the editor. I clipped a note from the web and wanted to add some text at the bottom. The font dialog says "inherit" which isn't the name of any font on my system. There are two fonts in the note, but they both say "inherit." The sizes are different too, but both say "10" for the size. The one in italics does properly show italics in the tool bar button.

When I go to the bottom of the note, I changed the font to "Calibri" and then turned off italics. However, when I turned off italics, the font changed back to "inherit." If I turn off italics first, then select the font, it works.

EHUnresolved

• Level 5*

Deleting a note doesn't close the note. IMHO, when a note that is open in its own window is deleted (Edit|Delete or trashcan icon), the note should also be closed. I am 99% sure that is how 5.x worked, but 6.x isn't. It remains open with the Delete/Restore buttons active.

This is how most other apps work. Delete an open email and it sends to the trash and closes the email window.

The Mac version does close the note when you hit delete.

9 hours ago, Majortom said:

Well, Atlas is lost and I'm not happy. I used to use a lot the Atlas feature to search for notes I took with my cellular device in a specific location, and I guess I'm not the only one who did it.

Please, bring it back

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back. This is a deliberate decision, from 2 factors: 

1. This feature is used by less than 1% of our users and iOS/Android already phased that out.
  2. The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative.
5 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

This is also a conscious design decision and there are no plans to bring those screens back. We believe the current tag system in the left sidebar provides all the previous functionalities in a similar if not better form. Of course, we will keep improving on the current experience to allow easier organization. Please expand on what use cases are now made harder, and we'll see how this can be solved. 

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, lisec said:

I think this might be displaying the nested items under my "recipes" tag instead of all notes that include the tag "recipes".

If recipes is a parent tag and you don't want all the children tags to be included, got to Tools - Options - Note and uncheck Automatically select child tags.

1 hour ago, lisec said:

Anyway, let's see what happens when I click the tag icon again to select "cats".

In the new EN the search context stays the same until you clear it or select all notes.  So you entered Cat and it was just added to the current search.  A registry hack has been posted which resets the context to all notes if you press F6 (or your shortcut preference) to go to the search bar..

• Level 5*

The two-finger swipe up/down on my Surface Pro 4 touchpad just causes the screen to jump around still if I am in the upper right List View of notes. Scrolling through notbooks (left pane) and note bodies (lower right) works fine using the two-finger swipe.

keyword: EHUnresolved

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2016 at 0:42 PM, kvitekp said:

Yup, this is a bug, thank you for reporting.

Just loaded 6.1.1 prelease and noticed that this bug is still there.  Would be very nice if this could make it into the GA version.  By the way, I like the new zoom in and out controls.  Wasn't something I thought I needed, but now that I've tried it, I will definitely be using it, especially when presenting material.

• Level 5*

@kvitekp would it be possible to add a "hamburger menu" button to the customizable toolbar, which has a F10 function? That way a user can chose to have a button that hides the left panel, which would be very useful on a touch screen.

• Level 5*

right-click to move to folders not working for multiple notes. If I select multiple notes, then right-click and select "Move to.." the folder selector shows up but I cannot select one after typing in a few letters to narrow it down. The multi-select window that replaces the body of the notes does work and allows me to select a folder.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, EdH said:

You can customize the tool bar and add the back and forward arrows.  Right clicking on an icon in the toolbar will get you there.

• Level 5*
On 3/31/2016 at 11:51 PM, André said:

A thought about notifications from reminders.

The current desktop notifications are fine, but they appear only very shortly. If you happen to be busy with something else or absent, you'll never see them.

Could notifications be collected in the notification area icon of Evernote or in the standard notification bar (Windows 10), please? The icon could be changed to indicate new notification. Thanks!

This is a fundamental problem on iOS and Mac too. Those even have badges to show you you have a reminder, but when you start the app, you are shown nothing. There needs to be a reminder area across all apps to show any reminders that have not been dismissed. We shouldn't have to go hunting.

• Level 5
7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:
On 4/23/2016 at 9:42 AM, kvitekp said:

Yup, this is a bug, thank you for reporting.

Just loaded 6.1.1 prelease and noticed that this bug is still there.

Assuming you're talking about missing styling for notebooks and tags in shortcuts section of the left pane -- it seems to work as expected here: notebooks and tags shortcuts in the left panel are now rendered with the selected style.

2 hours ago, eric99 said:

I had some time to investigate this further: the new note seems to be OK in the windows and evernote on web; in the Android version, the new note title keeps mixed with an existing note content and I can't get rid of that by resyncing  This is scary, I'm very tolerant for most bugs, but I get nervous when data consistency gets compromised!

@evernote: is this a known bug and/or  is this related to the new windows release (I have never seen this before...) . Maybe the note format is incompatible with the Android version? 

We haven't seen this issue before and will investigate. How systematically are you seeing this issue? Can you PM me an enex export of the note?

• Level 5*

I cannot use the DEL key to delete tags in notes. I have to use the mouse to hover over them and click the little "X". WIth the Mac I can do this easily, and I am 99.9% sure it was there in Windows 5.x too.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, kvitekp said:

For starters -- did you find left/right scrolling of the EN5 Tag View helpful or confusing?

I found it helpful, although it would be better to be able to see a larger number of tags, and to collapse the trees without having to keep collapsing every tree every time you go to the tag list. That part was frustrating when trying to organize tags into a hierarchy. As I have suggested previously, the ability to right-click on a tag and assign it to a parent tag would be awesome. Also, the ability to create duplicate tags that are unique to the parent tag they are assigned to.

• Level 5*

One area that is really slow is after annotating an image, when I close the annotation window, it will say "saving...." for up to a minute or two. After I do one, subsequent saves are faster. On iOS and Mac OS X, saves are instant in all cases. This is just a Windows problem.

Archived