New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Stephane Lo

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 hours ago, sjkeegs said:

I'd like to add my voice to the "All Tags" Removal.

When I create a new tag it's typically while creating or editing a note. At some point in the future I go to the All Tags window and sort and organize the new tags. The absence of the "All Tags" view is disrupting that workflow. Going back and sorting tags in a vertically scrolling list is far more difficult than being able to spread the "All Tags" window into a big window to sort the new tags or re-organize others. 

This change has altered my workflow within the first day or so of using it. I now find that when adding new tags it is easier to go to the tags list and navigate to the location where I want the new tag to reside and then create it. I then go back to my note and reenter that new tag in the note. I'm finding this additional step disruptive when working on a note and adding new tags.

All because it has become tedious to navigate the tags list. I'm being torn away from my note editing to deal with sorting a tag.

+1. Good example.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Scott Hatfield said:

I'd like to suggest something regarding search.  I think the amount of time between when something is entered and when the search takes place should be configurable.  For example, if I type "tag:project" and want to continue typing to add "my great project", the search begins working before I stop typing and locks up the UI.  I think that's likely what some have complained about regarding the search being "slow."  It's not slow, but it starts searching too quickly.  I'd like to be to adjust it.  I think it shouldn't start searching until typing has stopped for about 1 second, but other users might want a shorter or longer amount of time.  I'd suggest configuring the time amount in milliseconds.

Fantastic product.  Love the update.

Thanks,

Scott Hatfield

There is a tool called ENregedit which can be used to adjust the SearchAsYouTypeDelay in the registry.  You can find it here.  If you set the value to 0 the search will not begin until you hit enter.  If you enter 1000 the search will begin one second after your last keystroke.

If you are uncomfortable with using the tool, you can modify the above value using Regedit, HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote.

Everything is slow. When I click a notebook in my left nav panel, it takes a long time to open. Once open, if I click a note to open it or click the New Note button, it is very sluggish. Printing is slow. Clipping is slow. However, once I've seemed to "wake it up," then Evenote is, indeed, very fast. I think kvitekp may be onto something regarding re-indexing. But how often does re-indexing occur and how long does that generally take? Prior to the update, I've never experienced Evernote as being anything less than blazingly fast. (I absolutely love this program.) It may or may not be indexing, but something decidedly changed when I updated and it is not a positive change for me.

• Level 5*

Okay.  I would leave EN open for a while to be sure all the indexing is completed, though I would guess it should be by now.  You could repeat the 6 install before downgrading to 5.9.  IAC, I am not having the same experience as you, so don't know what else to say    :(

On 4/23/2016 at 9:06 AM, JMichaelTX said:

@Stephane Lo, have you done ANY usability testing with a large number of tags, say > 1,000?

After all, Evernote does state it will support up to 100,000 tags.  Can you say, with a straight face, the EN Win will actually do this?

The old design of the Tags View was poor, but this is a disaster for management of a large number of tags.

IAC, please include a much functionality as you can in the right-click context menu for Tags in the Left Side Panel:

Tag List -- Right-click on any tag to:

• Move under Parent Tag (provides Tag selection like with the Tag Filter)
  • Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Assign to Selected Notes
  • UnAssign from Selected Notes
  • Unassign from All Notes
  • Collapse/Expand All below this Tag
  • Create Shortcut

Right-click on "Tags" icon/banner
  • Create Tag
  • Find Tag
  • Include Child Tags in Searches (check on/off)
  • Assign Selected Tags to New Notes (check on/off)
  • Sort by Name (check on/off)
  • Sort by Note Count (check on/off)

Couldn't agree more. Many-a-times I create new tags on the fly directly on a note. When you have nearly 1000 tags try moving the newly created tag to the desired position in the tag tree. The right-click options proposed here sound great. Moving a tag to a parent should be straight-forward - notice how the same thing works in Gmail labels?

When I search for a tag I don't even know which parent it is nested under. To move a tag created on a note I need to painstakingly scroll through 1000 entries to figure out the location where I want to place it.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, EdH said:

Really hoping the saved searches remake their appearance in the search box drop down soon. It is almost unusable to me as it is now below 60 notebooks and 600+ tags. It is actually faster for me to type in some of my more commonly used saved searches than to scroll.

(in the mean time) Quickest way right now is to press F10 and the magnifying glass on the left.

• Level 5*
Just now, gustavgi said:

(in the mean time) Quickest way right now is to press F10 and the magnifying glass on the left.

just tell me where to send the check...

• Level 5*

Simple for me, sometimes notes want to "live" in more than one place, can't do that with notebooks but you can with tags.  In other words, a mostly notebook organizational structure makes it difficult to normalize your data (notes).  If you prefer hierarchy, and nothing wrong with that, notebooks are fine.  

Otherwise not so much and tags become the method of organization.  With or without prefixes  Without prefixes for me.  Those tags are also the basis for my search; tag:insurance tag: home for home insurance, tag : insurance for all insurance, etc.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jookman said:

Couldn't agree more. Many-a-times I create new tags on the fly directly on a note. When you have nearly 1000 tags try moving the newly created tag to the desired position in the tag tree. The right-click options proposed here sound great. Moving a tag to a parent should be straight-forward - notice how the same thing works in Gmail labels?

When I search for a tag I don't even know which parent it is nested under. To move a tag created on a note I need to painstakingly scroll through 1000 entries to figure out the location where I want to place it.

in the new beta out now you will find both the All Tags view back, and in the registry a hidden function which jumps your left panel to the exact spot among your notebooks/nested tags where the search result is located (like in v4.7-4.9)

Evernote is generally running all of the time on my desktop. I launch it immediately after a fresh bootup. I'm running Win7 fully patched. If re-indexing is a one-time thing after upgrading, my system has had ample time to do that. But if re-indexing occurs on some kind of timed basis like automatic syncing does, then I need to know if that is something I can adjust. Meanwhile. I will follow your advice and re-install v6 before down-grading to v5.9. Thanks for your help, csihilling.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Senol said:

What's this new button in a note? the Repeat Command F4   button in the editing toolbar. 

Seems lika a macro function which just repeats the last editing action you did.

An example would be if you right click selected text and chose to change the font and text size in the same operation, and you want to do the same to another part of the note, you wouldn't have to pick the font and size again.

• Level 5*

I agree with the congratulations to the team! The program is getting to be even more useful! Love the focus the team now has.

Also agree that we need a way to be able to save searches (OK, found that one - right click on the search area) and recall them. Right-clicking on the a shortcut and creating a new shortcut seems a little difficult to find. Why not a button to save a search, and one to view saved searches? Otherwise, I could end up with a lot of duplicate saved searches unless I remember to create them as shortcuts... Some searches I want to save, others I want to save as shortcuts. And I may change my mind about saving searches in the future. So how about the same flexibility with saving searches as we have with saving tags?

One other request - the tags icon in the left panel needs to have the option to open the tag "tree" - even without any tag hierarchy, the tree view is a great way to identify tags that have been spelled incorrectly and added to the list without needing them.

• Level 5*

Can someone on the EN team look at the difference in the rendering engine for deleted and regular notes? I get my pay stubs via a link to an online site, and I clip them to Evernote. This has always worked fine until 6.0.4. I think it was actually ok in 6.01 and 6.03.

The first note is how part of my pay stub looks when clipped via the EN clipper for Chrome in my @Inbox folder or any other folder. The second note is how it looks in Evernote if I have deleted the note. Very strange. The results are the same regardless of whether the note is in its own window or in the note pane of the main EN window.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAE_ZzGvduRE9oxPK9yOLY7KPoWhycKvmx4/

It seems to not then be an issue of the clipper, but how, for some reason, EN renders a living vs trashed note.

Hi all,

Was just upgraded and now the outlook clipper is throwing a "com initialization" error on all emails I am trying to clip from outlook

I have a screenshot and error log (together less than .49MB) but am getting an error that I am over the size limit?  Can't upload either one..

Scott 

Please correct the implementation of how the Evernote icon behaves when its pinned to the Windows 10 taskbar - see image for details.

Note how Firefox, xplorer2, Sigil and File Explorer do not create transient icons, i.e. they conform to the Taskbar buttons:->Always combine, hide labels setting.

Thank you - RP

Clipboard02.jpg

hace 33 minutos, RightPaddock dijo:

Please correct the implementation of how the Evernote icon behaves when its pinned to the Windows 10 taskbar - see image for details.

Note how Firefox, xplorer2, Sigil and File Explorer do not create transient icons, i.e. they conform to the Taskbar buttons:->Always combine, hide labels setting.

Thanks you - RP

That used to happen to me in the last v5 versions, but now they seem to be working for me just fine.

I used to fix that by unpinning the "permament" icon and re pinning the "transient" one. That way I had no problems until the next update.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

Notebooks are a unit of storage - if I delete an EN notebook, then it and all the notes in it are deleted. If I delete all the notes in a Notebook I'm left with an empty notebook.  Much like a directory/folder in a file system.

Tags are a means of reference  - if I delete a tag no notes are deleted, if I delete all the notes that reference a tag the tag is deleted, if I remove all the references to a tag the tag is deleted.  Most tagging schemes are likewise ephemeral - i.e. they are created when they're first used and they're deleted when they're no longer used.  It's that characteristic that leads to them being nothing more than a label with a reference count perhaps.

Onenote may not have Evernote's ephemeral tags, but you can set up a keyword vocabularies via keyword notebooks.  And because the keywords are in themselves notes, they can have data, whereas EN tags are a just label.  In ON it's easy to browse from a note into a keyword notebook and establish a link - doing the same thing in EN is awkward and error prone.  With ON keyword notebooks you won't have as many problems with keyword (tag)  proliferation due to misspellings etc.  The phrase 'keyword notebooks' is mine, you wont find it in any ON doco.

I use EN and ON for different purposes, they each have there strengths and weaknesses - eg if I need the notes to be available on Android then I prefer using EN.

Tags don't go away when they are no longer used though. The only thing that differs in your post is the batch delete of all notes when you delete the notebook. But if you take that away, there is only the perspective that tags are nothing but tags that is your limitation.

But if you throw away a physical notebook, it's understandable that all the notepages are gone as well. The thing about Windows folders is that if you delete a folder, it's not actually deleting your files in that folder, the files are moves to the trash bin and only the folder is deleted. If you just alter your perspective, one can say that all files on a Windows computer are placed in the trash bin, but only visible inside the trash if they aren't associated with any tag (windows folder).

• Level 5
On 5/19/2016 at 10:38 AM, pepemacias said:

One advantage now is that tags are not lost in the toolbar, but on the other hand the title is lost now. It is best not to lose any of them, but title is most important I think, specially in GTD because I write my tasks in titles to see it in the Note List. Step behind here.
Also, titles were in connection with notes before, and now they are separated with other information between: something counterintuitive.
My productivity was very damaged with this change.

Just type in your tasks title in the first line of the note body and it will automatically become the note's title. It's actually even easier than before and title is more coupled with the note itself. Our GTD people love it.

On 5/19/2016 at 10:38 AM, pepemacias said:

Other problem now is the trash icon. If it is at the bottom of sidebar is difficult to access it. I have to down by all my sidebar with so much notebooks and tags unfolded. Really difficult to drag and drop so. Specially in GTD, anew, where drag and drop is very important.
Before there was the same problem but it was less unconfortable to use because trash icon was "only" at the bottom of notebooks.
Please, I need an option to have the trash icon in a comfortable place for drag and drop notes.

If you need instant access to Trash with mouse, the best thing to do is to add Trash to Shortcuts: right click Trash item in the left panel and choose "Add to Shortcuts". You may also want to show your shortcuts in toolbar, so that they are always there at the top of the application window, one mouse click away. Unfortunately, the current version of Evernote does not allow you dragging notes to the Trash Shortcut, however this bug is already fixed and next beta due to be published next week will have it working as expected.

12 hours ago, nicobro88 said:

That used to happen to me in the last v5 versions, but now they seem to be working for me just fine.

I used to fix that by unpinning the "permament" icon and re pinning the "transient" one. That way I had no problems until the next update.

Thanks - hadn't tried that one, it worked.  Tried pinning it from - start menu->all apps, the .exe, and the shortcut the install ALWAYS puts on my desktop {sigh}

We'll see what happens at next update.  How come lesser software, in terms of usage and cost, can get these little things right.

RP

I've got another question on this release. In the old search box I used to have access to the list of my recent searches. It was useful to be able to modify a recent temporary search, or to switch between a few recent searches that I don't really want to save permanently.

Has this feature gone away?

Thank you for minimizing the white space/maximizing the screen acreage in this version. Much much better.

I completely agree with Cao Yi upthread — the View All Tags feature is ESSENTIAL. Please add it back in! Please! Thank you!

EVER-TERRIBLE...AGAIN...GEEZ....

It's bad enough that things were "STRIPPED"....just to show how smart the programmers are????  Atlas?, Tag Page?...etc., and nerds need not attack.  This is just a rant to get a good program better, but it keeps getting knocked down, and then the regular cheerleaders come and blow up the heads of the team, letting them think they are moving right along.  I have been using EN for years, and rarely, if ever complain, but reading other folks who complain about similar features, fixes, and more, seems to be ignored, unless the NEEDED updates that are requested are behind the scenes.  PAY ATTENTION TO THE INTERFACE!!!!

>Printing? - Super thick borders on pages at print time (especially lousy when trying to print pdf's), can't adjust or remove, etc...so printing an ORIGINAL document is nearly impossible at it's ORIGINAL SIZE???...hasn't been fixed yet...geez. No DEFAULT Printer setting...keep having to choose??? A user should not have to open up different programs and print outside of EN?! This is EN specific...not a result of scanning or the wrong printer settings, etc. Background graphics in notes or webclippings not working either. What's the use of scanning and importing to later print if you can't print the original document as shown?  EN desktop seems to put the white background of the note window in the item being printed, instead of just printing the document only...making the document either resize smaller to fit in excess white borders, docs shift to left side, etc., leaving nearly two inches of "white space" on the right side of documents to be printed.  Whether it's a pdf, a pic, or an imported document, note, etc...it happens all the time and never fixed.  I emailed years ago about it and it was never fixed.  Very frustrating. PLZzzzz Fix!

>Interface? - Super white, everywhere.  No color/shade/skin options...no icons for notebooks, nothing. Win10 apps are bad enough, this is a let down...at LEAST a dark or dark grey option...come on?!

>Encryption? - Can't encrypt a notebook?...right click encrypt?, I'm scared to use this in public for documents that have sensitive info, anybody can be looking over your shoulders...at least to encrypt some notebooks and leave others open, etc.  No internal security at all.

>Notebook Name under Note Title - what happened?  Can't tell the titles from tags now, with the "blue" background.  The Notebook Names should be of different color background or at least bold font by default....

I'm sure somebody will try to break down why I'm wrong, etc..but I don't care.  These are just a tidbit of reasonable improvements IMO, that should have been "done".  but the printing is really frustrating....yes, some folks, especially in the legal business, may need a hard copy or printout of a document, etc.  These are some items that needs to be addressed asap...not counting the ones mentioned in the posts above.  PLEASE fix the printing at least! ;)

If you can't or won't add encryption, at least add a password feature to the windows desktop version, like android.  The notetaking session, at least for the windows desktop version, should have more word proccessing features, functions and appearance, especially when the note is open.  Thx

*If any of you folks can tell me how to get EN to print properly, (original document size), without all of the excess border space, and shrinking of the document on the page to accommodate the excess space, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

On 20/5/2016 at 15:11, csihilling dijo:

Okay, thanks for clearing it up.  For me where I don't keep the left panel open, the trash icon in the tool bar is a pretty fluid process.  Less error prone as well, I can't drop the note in the wrong place.  FWIW

Yes, you are right about that way is less error prone. But for me it would also be necesary to drag and drop into the trash because it is the way I use to move notes between notebooks. And so I would not have to stop drag and drop to move a note to the trash. In my case, having to change the way moving notes to make a particular movement means a loss of fluidity. I tried to put trash in shortcuts but notes can not be dragged and dropped there, this way only creates shortcuts to notes.

On 20/5/2016 at 12:38, gustavgi dijo:

You might want to explain this a bit further, as it is hard to understand what you are refering to. In what way are titles "lost", but tags are "not lost" in the toolbar? Are you talking about Shortcuts?

And what do you mean that titles were in connection with notes, and now there is information in between? It sounds to me like you are refering to the columns in Top list/Side list-view, and those can be ordered manually by dragging and dropping the column at the top.

Thit is what I mean when I say that titles can lose now in toolbar:

dvmxdd.jpg

Titles did not have this problem before, but tags did.

On the other hand, titles were here before:

fnwuw9.jpg

And now there are tags and text editing bar between title and note.

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Not necessarily in all use cases. ;)

IAC, I agree 100% that a simpler process to manage tags would be beneficial to some.

Yes, simpler is better.

But the "All Tags" page is simpler than the dropdown list for me.

Many of my notes have multi tags, and 3000+ notes are created. The hundreds tags are hard to manage now.

hace 1 hora, kvitekp dijo:

If you need instant access to Trash with mouse, the best thing to do is to add Trash to Shortcuts: right click Trash item in the left panel and choose "Add to Shortcuts". You may also want to show your shortcuts in toolbar, so that they are always there at the top of the application window, one mouse click away. Unfortunately, the current version of Evernote does not allow you dragging notes to the Trash Shortcut, however this bug is already fixed and next beta due to be published next week will have it working as expected.

Yes I am saying just that in my previous post. Thanks.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest, what exactly was wrong with clicking in the search bar and having your saved searches appear? 

This made sense when Search Box was at the top of the the UI hierarchy, so whatever was typed there could search any searchable item type. In V6 SearchBox was moved on top of the note list to get it closer to search results, which are only notes, so in V6 Search Box searches notes only.

Soon there will be a way to search everything again better than before. Hint: check a new feature recently added to the Mac version.

22 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Not sure what the problem is, however you may want to try uninstalling 5.9 before installing V6.

Thanks.   Having read the various comments and feedback to this thread I will stick to 5.9 for the time being.

I will also wait to see if the actual reason for my problem is understood.  I am aware of the common general fix principle of uninstalling first but that always bothers me, when it is not stated as being necessary but an install-over-the-top goes wrong. It suggests a lack of full understanding by the programmer(s).  If I was a programmer I think I would ensure a "clean install" by including an automatic prior uninstall as part of the install, but I repeat I am not a programmer and no doubt there is more to it than I know about..  

I have found an old post with the same error messages* as mine and the solutions were all of the "workaround" type so I am disappointed it is still happening with the latest version.

*The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable
The file "C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Local\Temp' is not a valid installation package for the product Evernote v 5.8.1. Try to find the installation package Evernote.msi in a folder from which you can install Evernote v. 5.8.1.
The older version of Evernote v 5.8.4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.
(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:915) Ox643:fatal error during installation.

He also said "I backed up my existing data files to another folder, then tried to uninstall my current Evernote. When I clicked Uninstall, the exact same error messages came up."

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, pepemacias said:

Yes, you are right about that way is less error prone. But for me it would also be necesary to drag and drop into the trash because it is the way I use to move notes between notebooks. And so I would not have to stop drag and drop to move a note to the trash. In my case, having to change the way moving notes to make a particular movement means a loss of fluidity. I tried to put trash in shortcuts but notes can not be dragged and dropped there, this way only creates shortcuts to notes.

Okay.  Another thought, you can also press the delete key when the note is highlighted to delete it.  But it sounds like you are mouse centric when working your lists...

• Level 5
On 4/26/2016 at 8:22 AM, eldrin said:

Evernote v6.0.5 is still unable to remember the state of its maximized window between reboots.

Maximize your Evernote window and then quit the client using Ctrl+Q. It should save the maximized state across reboots after doing that.

I think the latest upgrade is actually moving backwards!!  Where is the list of topics I used to be able to look at to find a specific note.  Now when I search I have to remember the title of the topics.  It is nuts!!!

• Level 5
On 4/21/2016 at 3:49 PM, FactMan said:

Also agree that we need a way to be able to save searches (OK, found that one - right click on the search area) and recall them. Right-clicking on the a shortcut and creating a new shortcut seems a little difficult to find. Why not a button to save a search, and one to view saved searches? Otherwise, I could end up with a lot of duplicate saved searches unless I remember to create them as shortcuts... Some searches I want to save, others I want to save as shortcuts. And I may change my mind about saving searches in the future. So how about the same flexibility with saving searches as we have with saving tags?

UI to expose and manage existing saved searches is code complete and will be released as hot fix really soon, please stay tuned and don't waste your time rearranging your saved searches.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

Please return back the Shortcuts toolbar that does not competes with the menu toolbar for limiting space. It defeats the purpose of having shortcuts. Thank you.

121233.jpg

I have too many shortcuts to put on even a full line of the screen. For this reason, I like the new capability of putting the shortcuts on the left panel where I can sort them, so that the most frequently-used items will appear on the screen where I can quickly access them. I can also look for searches that I have done in the past and copy the search terms to a new search and modify it to get what I am now looking for. If your example is how you name your shortcuts, I would work on reducing the length of them so that I could get more on the toolbar... but maybe that is just me?

27 minutes ago, FactMan said:

I have too many shortcuts to put on even a full line of the screen. For this reason, I like the new capability of putting the shortcuts on the left panel where I can sort them, so that the most frequently-used items will appear on the screen where I can quickly access them. I can also look for searches that I have done in the past and copy the search terms to a new search and modify it to get what I am now looking for. If your example is how you name your shortcuts, I would work on reducing the length of them so that I could get more on the toolbar... but maybe that is just me?

Actually the naming would be nice if we could change them in the toolbar. They are simply the names of the notebooks. I have a rigid folder/file or notebook/notes structure but there are many notebooks so I use shortcuts for some of them. The names are long because its the way to keep a description in the title like you would with your folders on your hard drive. The problem is with them being in the left panel is that I have to scroll up and down the folder structure to get to the shortcut, which makes it anything but shortcut.
(see the image bellow.)

There is panty of room to make shortcut panel be another row below the menu panel. After all, that is what it was in the last Evernote version. And pretty much all browsers have this, so why deviate from that convention to something that makes it less than it was before. Boggles the mind. I don't know who came up with that idea or why but it, makes no sense from an user experience point of view. Its not like they didn't have enough time or forums to ask people what to use, maybe they simply forgot to take note of all the feedback. Hmmm.

P.S.
Here is a thought. There are apparently 150 mil users of Evernote. Why not just leave simple things to be customizable and you make everyone happy, let people customize panels to their liking. Its been done before, and it works well. Why do we have to change things based on design and not user experience? Its not like the Evernote team didn't have access to its users or information from other projects. This has been discussed in forums before when Evernote was in beta stage. But sometimes it just seems Evernote will be Evernote, no matter what the users say.

sshot-3.jpg

11062261_1594891967425740_6495411286309207457_n.jpg

I just tried the Windows client, typically I use the web version because there's no Linux client. 

The thing is, I've prefixed all my tags with symbols (+, =, ?, ...) and I've chosen them specifically because their sort order. So on a note the + tags are always first, etc. That works perfectly in the web version. But the sort order of all the tags on a particular note is different on the Windows version!

For example, create a Note and add the four tags: +agenda 5-Someday ?Eric =Blog. On the web version they will stay in that order. On the Windows version however they will be ?Eric +agenda =Blog 5-Someday. 

It would be really nice if the sort order of the tags on a Note was consistent. And really really nice if Notes could be sorted by their tags in the web version (like you can do in the Windows version). And really really really nice if the web had a list view like the Windows version does.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I think the latest upgrade is actually moving backwards!!  Where is the list of topics I used to be able to look at to find a specific note.  Now when I search I have to remember the title of the topics.  It is nuts!!!

What do you mean by topics list? If you mean search suggestions, they are now placed under the search description (click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass/cross if it's hidden) and they now suggest relevant notebooks containing the topics as well, if you click "several". Depending on your database they might take a second to show, but that seems to eliminate the "hang" while searching in v5. I think it's an improvement, and hopefully something that will soon show tag suggestions as well.

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

Simple for me, sometimes notes want to "live" in more than one place, can't do that with notebooks but you can with tags.  In other words, a mostly notebook organizational structure makes it difficult to normalize your data (notes).  If you prefer hierarchy, and nothing wrong with that, notebooks are fine.  

Otherwise not so much and tags become the method of organization.  With or without prefixes  Without prefixes for me.  Those tags are also the basis for my search; tag:insurance tag: home for home insurance, tag : insurance for all insurance, etc.

Yep.  Right on.

This is why I started using tags more WAY back in the day.  For me it was as simple as, "What do I do with this Medical Bill?"  Health Notebook or Bills Notebook?  That broke my system and it's been tags ever since.  Notebooks are more about the type or context of the note.  Is it a document filed away for reference at some point, then put it in my Cabinet notebook.  Is it something I took a picture of while in a store?  Maybe something to purchase later or to give me ideas.  That goes in the Shopping notebook.  I've got a Timeline one for mementos.  All of my documents from FileThis go into their own notebook stack initially.  I also keep my work notes in a separate notebook because that makes sense to me.  I still have some old notebooks I need to clear out, but ideally I would like to get it to maybe half a dozen.

Another plus for me and using tags is both the Mac and Windows clients have shortcut keys for assigning tags.  If there's a shortcut key for changing the notebook on a note, I can't find it....on the Windows client.  The Mac client handles this well.

When editing a note in a separate window, before version 6, I used the shortcut key "F3" to edit tags in a note. Hitting "F3" I could write the first characters of a new tag and add it quickly, and hitting left and right navigation keys I could select tags to delete from a note.

After version 6 update this don't work anymore. Do you have any plan do add this feature again? It's a little unproductive to edit my note tags in CTRL+ALT+T window. 

Post script: Sorry for my poor english. :blush:

On 26/04/2016 at 1:35 PM, digitalsafaris said:

Just want to add my concern to the loss of the full TAGS page.  I have a deep hierarchy (which will benefit from the ability to display child tags when searching), but when I allocate new tags to a note, they just go to top level.  Then once a month or so I have a tidy, and allocate then to the right place in the hierarchy.  Currently I have two drop down screens of unallocated tags and no easy way to drag and drop them into their right place in the hierarchy.

+10000 ! Same concern here !

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

Yes, simpler is better.

Many of my notes have multi tags, and 3000+ notes are created. The hundreds tags are hard to manage now.

I'm agreeing with you for your use case.  :)

In my excitement, I impulsively went ahead and posted a thread in the General forum without checking in here. I am really and truly blown away at minimalist yet powerful changes to the Windows client. My hat off to you Windows team!

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

For me it was as simple as, "What do I do with this Medical Bill?"  Health Notebook or Bills Notebook? 

That was my organization nightmare pre-Evernote using Windows/Mac folder filing organization.  I embraced tags from day one, and am constantly amazed that users want to duplicate the folder filing structure.

>>Notebooks are more about the type or context of the note.
I don't get it - when/why do you decide to use a notebook or tag?
Why a Shopping Notebook instead of a Shopping Tag? What if the note fits both Shopping and Timeline?
For me the decision is made if I want the notes to be shared/local/offline.  These are notebook features.

One side effect I'm noticing of the move away from a gray border around the note space to being white on white is that there's no longer any indication of where I can click to put my cursor into a note. In v5 I could see the white space of the note between the last word of the note and the gray space outside. Clicking anywhere in that white put my cursor at the end of the note and I could begin writing.

In v6 I have to click very close to the end of the existing note content (like within 1 row) in order to insert the cursor, otherwise I'm clicking in what used to be the gray space and nothing happens.

This applies to new notes as well. In prior versions I had a large space to click in to begin editing a new note, now I have a very narrow space available and no visual indicator of where that space is.

Compare this to MS Word, where if you click anywhere on a page, even if there's only one word at the top of the page, it puts your cursor in the last line of the existing text and lets you start editing.

By the way: In this thread is a strong focus on tags but keep in mind plenty of users prefer notebook structure. Now someone will crying at once: "Arrgh - notbeooks! Tags are better! You can do so much more with tags!!!" Right. But this is not the way of thinking for a lot of (Windows) users. They are familar with folders. They love to have a notebook (= folder) with the name "Taxes - 2014", "Taxes - 2015" and so on. They don't want to read manuals and tutorials with "Make one notebook 'Documents', make tag 'Taxes', make tag '2016', make title of the note '2016-05-07 bill by Starbucks'". They just want to scan a document, place it in a notebook - and finito.

So it would be great for this people if they could see the notebook colors in the middle note preview like the color of tags. And to have a "big page" with columns of stacks and notebooks ...

• Level 5
1 hour ago, schultzter said:

e Windows client, typically I use the web version because there's no Linux client. 

The thing is, I've prefixed all my tags with symbols (+, =, ?, ...) and I've chosen them specifically because their sort order. So on a note the + tags are always first, etc. That works perfectly in the web version. But the sort order of all the tags on a particular note is different on the Windows version!

For example, create a Note and add the four tags: +agenda 5-Someday ?Eric =Blog. On the web version they will stay in that order. On the Windows version however they will be ?Eric +agenda =Blog 5-Someday. 

It would be really nice if the sort order of the tags on a Note was consistent. And really really nice if Notes could be sorted by their tags in the web version (like you can do in the Windows version). And really really really nice if the web had a list view like the Windows version does.

Thank you for the suggestion, inconsistent note tags order is an oversight. Thank you for reporting.

Hi Evernote,

I am fairly new to your product and I have a question regarding the tagging.  My boss had recently shared with me two or more notebooks wherein I can edit on it.  I was tasked to tag certain notes under a notebook where there has not been any tags.  The tags i type in vanishes and does not stick to the note when in fact I can see the tag directory created by my boss.  According to information, only tags in this notebook can be added to the notes.  What should i do?

I have tried creating tags in the other notebook that has numerous tags in it and transfer the note to the other notebook, but the tag vanishes.  I am at a lost.  Please advice me what I can do.

Thank you.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

They are familar with folders. They love to have a notebook (= folder)

I understand notebooks
I understand folders
Why do you think they're Equal?
And how does this related to the topic discussion (New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6))

Answered:
Evernote does not use a folder methodology.
Some users are having a problem with this, and are attempting to use Notebooks to try and implement a folder structure. They believe Evernote should support them with this.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Notebooks are more about the type or context of the note.

Notebooks are about creating simple macro search context for me.  One main and two shared notebooks that are synced, three local notebooks, plus inbox and scans. notebooks.  Even then most of my searches are in All Notes context so I probably could get by with one synced, one local plus inbox and scans.  

Holy smokes! Selecting (or searching) a parent tag now (optionally) includes all nested tags. Searching from any level down is major! Whereas before, nesting was merely a visual means of keeping some semblance of order, nesting is now also highly functional as it relates to search. 

Hello,

The udate adds absolutely useless features such as: color tags, pinned saved searches item in left pannel. 

What I need is:

1. Color shortcuts, color notebooks - more common - it will be much more useful to apply styles to shortcuts and tags. These items are used much more frequently than tags, which I have enormous number and (6000 notes, evernote user since 2010)

2. Option to hide saved serches item from left pannel. I do not use this option. Why should I see it in the most important place of the client UI. 

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I understand notebooks
I understand folders
Why do you think they're Equal?
And how does this related to the topic discussion (New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6))

1. Notebooks = folders = means: in the eyes of a lot of Evernote users this is equal and they like this notebook/folder-concept more than the tag concept.

2. Related to this topic = a lot of statements in this thread are focussing only the tag concept and new/better features for this concept. This is okay. But the developers should have an eye for the notebook concept too (and - per example - bring the color style for notebooks in the note list too).

I know a lot is flooding in here, but, this one changes the workflow of Evernote, so I want to mention it.

If you right click on the Evernote icon on the taskbar and select "New Note," that new note's notebook used to default to your "default notebook" ---- but now they are going into the "currently in use" notebook.   Any chance this can go back to the way it was?  To me, the way it was made more sense as if you are working outside of Evernote and want to remember something, you could use "New Note" from the Windows Environment (or the related hot key) to make a note in your "inbox" to address later.  (Go #GTD!)

Thanks @Stephane Lo and @emerick for listening and all you are doing. :-)  

Two bugs in the Note display, see attached screen shot.

The drop down windows for the font name and font size don't line up.

Also when you cut/copy and paste check boxes, the pasted boxes have a shadow, This problem started with the last revision.

Otherwise, great product!

Thanks,

KB 

Evernote Bugs.JPG

Please  bring back "all tags"  view

Since updating to version 6 of Evernote on Windows, I am unable to open all  tags. 

In the previous version, I could simply double click on the tags section and it would open in a "new window" with an A-Z index of all my tags like an index of a book. This was highly useful as I   have hundreds of tags and could quickly get a "bird's eye" view of my work  and stack tags on top of each other. This is the essence of John Locke's commonplace method - a reconfigurable  index that grows with you. For years,  Evernote emulated that perfectly! 

This functionality is gone  now. Please bring it back. Being forced to scroll through hundreds of tags in a tiny sidebar is not practical. (Even if I resize the sidebar it all stays in one hopelessly long single column of tags). 

After the release of Windows Evernote 6 I decided to end my experience with Evernote. You can no longer use it effectively. The new software is full of bugs and I doubt that you can solve by putting the pieces. I do not lengthen the premium subscription. I have migrated all about OneNote. I am very disappointed.

Please also:

1. Restore the back and forward note navigation.
  2. Restore the Activity button so I can see when I last synced.
  3. Move the Trash button back to the list of notebooks, consistent with the Android client.

Are there any plans to add more features to the note editor?

3 hours ago, csihilling said:

I had to create search for the single note to add to the short cut bar to get all notes context (a note on the short cut bar changes context to the notebook of the note).  The PE syntax is below should you give it a go.  Basically, triple click to highlight the line, copy, my version of the find hot key Alt-F, paste and enter.  Activated by Alt-Right Click.  So two clicks to get there.  FYI, if you don't need the left panel open, the magnifying glass works well for displaying often used saved searches..

{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON -count 3}{#CTRL -chars c}{#ALT -chars f}{#CTRL -chars v}{#ENTER}

Thanks so much for the details csihilling. I hope I can give it a go on the soon side.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, srussey said:

All-in-all I really like the new Evernote 6 for Windows.  My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that I can no longer see my reminder date & time embedded in the note header like before.  You've got to click on the drop-down and then click on the "change date" to see when, or if, you scheduled a reminder.  I use the reminder feature quite a lot to manage projects. When I am suveying all my tasks, I often tweak the reminder dates based on new deadlines or other information. I know that you can see the reminders in the column list in snippet view, but I'd also really like to see it embedded in the note header as I am updating each note.

Right click on the (I) button in the note toolbar, choose Customize Toolbar and drag the Reminder button (looks like a clock) to the left of the (I) button to add Reminder button to the note toolbar. After that you'll have your reminders just like before.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

This made sense when Search Box was at the top of the the UI hierarchy, so whatever was typed there could search any searchable item type. In V6 SearchBox was moved on top of the note list to get it closer to search results, which are only notes, so in V6 Search Box searches notes only.

At the end of the day all searches are for notes only.  Stack, notebook, tag, text, and values like created are just the tools to find them.  Notebook:nbname still works in the search bar as far as I can tell.  Positioning of the bar and the way the search builds is definitely superior to the previous method.  Losing easy access to saved and recent searches, not so much.  Please don't take this as grousing, just providing feedback on a productivity hit for my use case.

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Soon there will be a way to search everything again better than before.

Looking forward to it.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Generally very happy with the new build,  but I have found one oddity - if I copy and paste text from Word into a note,  Some non-alpha characters are replaced by code,  which requires some fixing.

If I copy this forinstance -

As far as we know our information is correct – but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by what’s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(That's Windows 8.1 / Calibri text / Word 2013)

What I get is this - - -

As far as we know our information is correct ndash; but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by whatrsquo;s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(I've shown the differences in red)

congradulations to the team for sure!
you are all doing a major service to humanity imo.
i just updated to the the new 6.0+ and looks beautiful.  
i am excited to see what has changed under the hood aswell.
i am a bit saddened that shortcuts got merged with the toolbar.  now if i want to keep my shortcuts uptop (which I do) I have to decide between shortcuts and toolbar items like sync, all notes.  as they take up now the limited space for my shortcuts.
can they be seperated? they seem to be locked in place, and i cant see to expand it down. 
my shortcuts are my go to and its sad they got slashed.

edit:
the shortcut issues have been completely mitigated since learning of AHK and using that to operate evernote.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, mfarrell said:

I don't know where to post this because for some reason I couldn't make a ticket and overall I'm just flummoxed by the poor performance of evernote. My lab might move to full plan pricing integration whatever ... ( sigh ), so I'm trying to get this to work. I'm on Windows 8, and evernote crashes constantly. Right now I can't even get the thing to open - it claims its open. Managed to kill it with task manager and it loaded again. It seems to happen whenever my network connection changes (i go between ethernet and wifi a lot). Or when my monitor config changes (plugging and unplugging monitors from a laptop to, you know, go take notes on my laptop). 

I'm assuming a good solution is to just use the web app? 

I would suspect a corrupted install of the app or database.
My solution would be to remove the app; remove the database
Then reinstall and let EN rebuild the local database

I just upgraded to the new v6.06 release of Evernote for Windows and I am horrified that you've moved the Shortcuts bar from the left-hand column to a horizontal toolbar! WHY!?!?!?! It no longer fits everything in, note names don't full display, and I can't restore it. I used to order items on the left hand column, had plenty of vertical and horizontal space. It was MUCH better the way it was. I don't often come in here to complain but I am IMMEDIATELY driven to voice my frustration at this seemingly innocuous change which is really, Really bothering me. I haven't even looked any deeper than this change yet.

The new client application for Windows looks slick! Being a Mac user myself, I only use the Windows app on my work PC. I can't help but think that the Mac app always is miles ahead of the Windows app. With this version, the Windows app comes very close, though!

I've been using the V6 since yesterday and I have 3 remarks:

• I'm not able to find my saved searches. I read that I'm supposed to get to them by right-clicking in the Search Area, but unfortunately, that doesn't work. See attached file for the popup I get when I use right-click in the Search Area. Furthermore, I'm not able to save any searches. Am I doing anything wrong?
  • Whenever I add a screenshot or other picture to the bottom of a note, the UI shoots back to the very top of the note. Since I tend to have some large notes, this is a very annoying behavior, since I have to go to the end of the note manually everytime.
  • +1 for the ability to have the lable tree and the lable overview back.

Apart from that: keep up the good work! I've been an enthusiastic EN user fro quite some years now.

RightClickInSearchArea.png

• Level 5
3 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

Any shortcut to expand/collapse in tag list (sidebar) all hierarchical tag levels in one step?

Not at this point. Are you looking for something like right click on Tags item / Expand All / Collapse all ?

• Level 5
59 minutes ago, giogio80 said:

After the release of Windows Evernote 6 I decided to end my experience with Evernote. You can no longer use it effectively. The new software is full of bugs and I doubt that you can solve by putting the pieces. I do not lengthen the premium subscription. I have migrated all about OneNote. I am very disappointed.

Sad to see you going. Would you mind listing top 3 reasons that made your use of Evernote inefficient?

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Generally very happy with the new build,  but I have found one oddity - if I copy and paste text from Word into a note,  Some non-alpha characters are replaced by code,  which requires some fixing.

If I copy this forinstance -

As far as we know our information is correct – but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by what’s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(That's Windows 8.1 / Calibri text / Word 2013)

What I get is this - - -

As far as we know our information is correct ndash; but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by whatrsquo;s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(I've shown the differences in red)

Tested with Win 10, Word 2016, Calibri - here it worked fine ...

It seems Evernote is going backwards: I’m losing more and more functionalities.

1. Losing the “all tags” view creates a huge problem for me. My tag system cannot be managed well with the new useless view.

2. The way the shortcuts appear now is ridiculous. I can no longer see all my shortcuts at a glance, while my search bar is unnecessarily long, i.e. wasted space on one line versus lack of space on the other line. Why this senseless change? This didn’t happen before version 6.

3. I’m using Outlook 2007 and have no plans to spend more money on Microsoft. Sending emails to myself “@m.evernote.com” is not a viable solution. I frequently select parts of emails to be sent to Evernote.

I can’t understand why Evernote did not warn of all this loss of functionality. If I had known, I would never have updated version 6. I've wasted a lot of valuable time reinstalling and reconfiguring the application because I was convinced there was some problem in my installation. I’m angry and frustrated that Evernote has done such a crappy job by creating a very messy version that makes it difficult to manage my notes now. I've managed to get back to my previous version (5.9.x), and will stop any further updating.

Very unprofessional.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, askswap said:

2016 0424 093807_cr.png

adding tag to note, not all tags with "disk" found

2016 0424 094041.png

find all notes with "disk" tag, all variants found

Note tag adder has "auto complete" semantics which is based on prefix search: you start typing and the system helps you by suggesting tags that start with the characters you've typed.

Search tag adder has "substring search" semantics that matches typed characters anywhere in the tag name.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, csihilling said:
13 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

Yes, simpler is better.

I'm agreeing with you for your use case.  :)

Keep pushing -- we're listening, you know ;)

• Level 5
22 hours ago, FactMan said:

I understand that there were problems with the Tag View, but I found it extremely helpful for managing my 1600 tags. If you need guidance on how to improve it, put it back into the beta version, and I am sure you will get lots of feedback. For example, the ability to right click on a tag and assign it to a parent tag would be a great asset. The ability to have "same name" tags under two or more parent tags would also be very useful. In the meantime, the speed of searching with multiple tags is an OK workaround.

For starters -- did you find left/right scrolling of the EN5 Tag View helpful or confusing?

Hello, this is my first post. First of all, I'm a PhD student and Evernote changed my life so thanks to all the developers!

This morning I updated to version 6.0.6.1769 on my Windows 7 computer and there seems to be a bug. I often create notes from pictures taken with my Blackberry Classic using the EN app. It seems that for those notes the images appear as attachment when I open the note, although if I drag and drop it at the same place the image will appear inline (as it should be). Now if I close the note and open it again the image will be shown as attachment again which is a bit annoying.. Is it a known bug? I've read this thread but found nothing similar.

Thank you !

EDIT : The image format is .jpg

The tags created with this new version of Windows are not synchronized to Android. Urgent fix. It is not the only problem it seems ... very disappointed. Use evernote is no longer a pleasure. It is becoming a nightmare.

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote does not use a folder methodology.

@DTLow, You insist on saying this. I've given you multiple reasons in multiple threads as to why it's not a Tags vs. Notebook debate. Evernote most definitely uses a "Notebook/ folder methodology". It also uses a tag-based setup. Both used in tandem are rather effective. Evernote provides equally powerful features to search notebooks. No favorites here. Either one or the other... or both Notebooks and Tags together have been leveraged quite beautifully. 

• Level 5*
On May 7, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Frank.dg said:

@DTLow, You insist on saying this. I've given you multiple reasons in multiple threads as to why it's not a Tags vs. Notebook debate. Evernote most definitely uses a "Notebook/ folder methodology". It also uses a tag-based setup. Both used in tandem are rather effective. Evernote provides equally powerful features to search notebooks. No favorites here. Either one or the other... or both Notebooks and Tags together have been leveraged quite beautifully. 

I said nothing about  tags in my post - I was commenting on notebooks=folders
I'm trying to stay out of the tag/notebook debate

Evernote definitely has Notebooks and Tags - no argument there.  

I understand folder methodology, and that people are trying to simulate it with Notebook/folder and Tag/folder workarounds

Maybe we have different ideas on the definition of Folder Methodology
For me its:     Parent Folder1
                           Child-Folder1 
                                  Child-Folder1.1
                                            Child-Folder1.2   ....
I'm not seeing this implemented in Evernote

11 hours ago, gustavgi said:

What do you mean by topics list? If you mean search suggestions, they are now placed under the search description (click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass/cross if it's hidden) and they now suggest relevant notebooks containing the topics as well, if you click "several". Depending on your database they might take a second to show, but that seems to eliminate the "hang" while searching in v5. I think it's an improvement, and hopefully something that will soon show tag suggestions as well.

What do you meqn by: " if you click "several". " ?

4 hours ago, Enertse said:

Please also:

1. Restore the back and forward note navigation.
  2. Restore the Activity button so I can see when I last synced.
  3. Move the Trash button back to the list of notebooks, consistent with the Android client.

Are there any plans to add more features to the note editor?

#1 and #2 are still there for me. You'll need to right click on your toolbar to customize. You'll find them in the pop out tray... Drag them to your toolbar. 

I rather like the trash where it is now... And the fact that notes in trash show up in the search explanation as sort of footnotes. 

I can't sort any of my search shortcuts on the left side in Evernote 6.  

I see a bar appear when I click and drag a shortcut that makes it seem like it will work but at the same time I see the "not allowed" symbol.  

It would be one thing if you kept the sort order from Evernote 5.  It's a big jumbled mess now.  Disappointing.

Please fix!:)

Hi all,

Was just upgraded and now the outlook clipper is throwing a "com initialization" error on all emails I am trying to clip from outlook

I have a screenshot and error log (together less than .49MB) but am getting an error that I am over the size limit?  Can't upload either one..

Scott 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TuftyMcTavish said:

I just upgraded to the new v6.06 release of Evernote for Windows and I am horrified that you've moved the Shortcuts bar from the left-hand column to a horizontal toolbar! WHY!?!?!?! It no longer fits everything in, note names don't full display, and I can't restore it. I used to order items on the left hand column, had plenty of vertical and horizontal space. It was MUCH better the way it was. I don't often come in here to complain but I am IMMEDIATELY driven to voice my frustration at this seemingly innocuous change which is really, Really bothering me. I haven't even looked any deeper than this change yet.

The placement of shortcuts has since a long time been a user setting choice and it still is. Just right click the shortcut bar and select left panel.

Thanks for the windows 6.0 update and congrats on the release! I use Evernote business and most everything I've tried works great. I've noticed one problem though. I want to be able to click on a business tag (Using the 'assign selected tags to new notes' feature) and then click on 'new note' to create a new business note. However, when I do that, 'new note' creates a personal note, not a business note. The result is a personal note (in my default personal notebook) that contains business tags - a confusing hybrid. 'New note' does create business notes if I've selected a notebook in the left panel and then ctrl-click a tag, but not when I've selected a tag and try to rely on the default business notebook. I'm hoping Evernote can add this to their list of fixes.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

By the way: In this thread is a strong focus on tags but keep in mind plenty of users prefer notebook structure. Now someone will crying at once: "Arrgh - notbeooks! Tags are better! You can do so much more with tags!!!" Right. But this is not the way of thinking for a lot of (Windows) users. They are familar with folders. They love to have a notebook (= folder) with the name "Taxes - 2014", "Taxes - 2015" and so on. They don't want to read manuals and tutorials with "Make one notebook 'Documents', make tag 'Taxes', make tag '2016', make title of the note '2016-05-07 bill by Starbucks'". They just want to scan a document, place it in a notebook - and finito.

So it would be great for this people if they could see the notebook colors in the middle note preview like the color of tags. And to have a "big page" with columns of stacks and notebooks ...

Actually, because v6 now automatically tags a new note with the tag you have selected/opened (like folders in Windows and just like notebooks in earlier versions of EN), there is no longer any reason to use notebooks at all if you want a folder structure (except if you want to keep some information local only, or have selective offline sync on mobile devices). If you want a folder structure, you could just put all of your notes in the same single notebook and then create a deep folder structure with tags (hierarchly/tag tree).

I don't know who have told you to "Make one notebook 'Documents', make tag 'Taxes', make tag '2016'", but what you should do is make tags with the names "Taxes - 2014", "Taxes - 2015" and so on.

Tags are no less of a folder than notebooks are. I mean, who would place physical notebooks within a physical notebook anyway? A notebook is a cover, and tags are used to separate documents within a notebook in a folder type of way.

The only thing that really separates Evernote from Windows is that neither notebooks nor tags let you have two of the same type, with the same name. In Windows you could have separate folders called "2015" in both a folder called "Movies" and another folder called "Music".

Archived