New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Stephane Lo

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, pepemacias said:

I am referencing deleting notes. But in the way on drag and drop notes. Move notes between notebooks is more fluid in this way.

Okay, thanks for clearing it up.  For me where I don't keep the left panel open, the trash icon in the tool bar is a pretty fluid process.  Less error prone as well, I can't drop the note in the wrong place.  FWIW

15 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

I believe this is already fixed: F6 key is now resetting current search context gain.

Or if one can't remember F6, you can click on the "x" in your search bar to reset your search context.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Is there any plan to bring back Shift+click on tags tagged to a note, to add to search? The new arrow with the same function that shows up on hover, doesn't show up for tags that doesn't fit the main window but is hidden in the fly-out menu.

And it would be nice to have the arrows show at all times as well, as hover commands aren't touch friendly. Alternatively you could add "add to search" on right click on the tag.

Yup, good ideas -- thank you for the suggestion. BTW, if you Shift+click to the right of the tags list the note's notebook and all its tags will be set into the search.

1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Also, a bug prevents the arrows from showing in single note view.

It's not a bug it a change we've made after finding out that some people are confused when a click in a single note view window changes current search in the main window. Please provide use cases and we'll see what can be done.

On 5/11/2016 at 10:05 AM, keisoko said:

I hope this will help you:

evernote screenshot.png

Aha, it only works to display reminders in Snippet or Card view. Top List and Side List views do not display reminders. Thanks keisoko for the helpful tip. That answered my question perfectly.

• Level 5*

When you click on the very bottom of a note, below the text, Evernote should position your cursor at the very last space available in the note to continue typing. This partially works, but in a busted sort of way, and this only applies to notes where the note itself is smaller than the space dictated by the window. If you have to scroll to the bottom, there is no white space below that to click on.

• If the note is not in its own window, but in the note window of the main window, then if you click below in the white space, the cursor moves to last row, but directly above the cursor, not at the last space, so you have to click below and to the right of the text.

keyword: EHUnresolved

On 25.5.2016 at 9:27 PM, s2sailor said:

The majority of my short cuts are saved searches and not notes.  I should not have used the note example.  I see the problem with adding styles to individual notes and I'm not requesting that.  My individual note shortcuts could be easily changed to a saved search, so I guess what is really desired is a way to style saved searches and as Peter mentioned, they are looking into it.

I agree with s2sailor. Most of my 50-70 shortcuts are saved searches (time-based or topic-based or a combination of both (e.g. projects uncompleted ="tag:project*   todo:false" or   appointments current week = "reminderTime:week -reminderTime:week+1 -tag:"XYZ"). It would be great to structure those shortcut list by style.

On 4/30/2016 at 1:51 AM, emerick said:

Maximize your Evernote window and then quit the client using Ctrl+Q. It should save the maximized state across reboots after doing that.

I'll try that out later, but why should that extra step be necessary? Other Windows applications don't require that. When they get shut down automatically when Windows restarts, they remember their last window state. Is this bug going to be fixed?

EDIT: Quitting with Ctrl+Q doesn't save the maximized state either. This is such a simple thing to test -- I wonder why no-one at Evernote will test it and fix it.

I love the new design. Just one problem. All the tags show up, regardless of the notebook I highlight. I wish only the tags associated with a particular notebook would show up. I can't remember which ones go with which notebook. So it's hard to find my notes. Can this be fixed?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Reminders should be still visible above the note list in Snippet or Card view,  You do have to be in a context that has a reminder note in it somewhere.  Try one of the two views when in All Notes context and you should see your reminders.

Reminders should be visible without having to go look for them. This feature is fundamentally broken in all versions of Evernote. On iOS you get a badge icon, and when you go into the app, nothing. You have no clue what caused the badge icon, so you have to go find something.

On Windows, the popup toast happens, and if you aren't at your desk watching your screen for that 15 seconds, you never know a reminder happened. I cannot remember if the Mac does this or has a badge icon, but same thing - no way to know what caused it.

I don't know how it works on Android, but I cannot imagine it is any better.

The reminder feature is wonderful. The implementation doesn't actually remind you of anything though. I keep track of them in Outlook (used to use Sunrise) where I can actually see them on a calendar and when a reminder fires there, it tells me why and doesn't hide it.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, great2bnaustin said:

Lost the ability to drag notes to folder shortcuts with new Evernote Windows 6.0.5

Love the new Evernote Windows 6.0.5, but one step back is that when you moved folder shortcuts from the left hand navigation menu to the top menu bar, we lost the ability to drag notes on to the shortcut.

In the previous versions of Evernote Windows, I could position folder shortcuts at the top of the left hand menu and then drag notes on to the folder. Now that shortcuts are at the top, dragging the note on to the folder shortcut simply creates a new shortcut to the note I was dragging.

I would like to be able to create folder shortcuts and then drag notes on to those folders, either on the top or on the left.

I can still do this, if you by folder mean notebook. If I drag a note onto a notebook pinned in shortcuts, the note will move to that notebook.

• Level 5
On 4/25/2016 at 9:55 AM, EdH said:

Scary. Has this been confirmed? I like the auto-select children feature, but not if it trashes my hierarchies!

It's a confirmed bug, fixed in the upcoming release.

• Ex Employees
16 hours ago, EScottA said:

Hi all,

Was just upgraded and now the outlook clipper is throwing a "com initialization" error on all emails I am trying to clip from outlook

I have a screenshot and error log (together less than .49MB) but am getting an error that I am over the size limit?  Can't upload either one..

Scott 

@EScottA Can you tell me what version of outlook you're using? Thanks. 

On 4/23/2016 at 8:36 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Tag List -- Right-click on any tag to:

• Move under Parent Tag (provides Tag selection like with the Tag Filter)
  • Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Assign to Selected Notes
  • UnAssign from Selected Notes
  • Unassign from All Notes
  • Collapse/Expand All below this Tag
  • Create Shortcut

This is brilliant.

• Level 5
On 5/2/2016 at 1:45 PM, Silvia Hagen said:

Hi, Since I installed 6.06 i cannot search across all notebooks anymore. One of the main big features I loved Evernote and why I am using it. Have you kicked that out or have you changed settings? Without this feature I cannot use Evernote anymore, I built all my notebooks around this option and I am lost without it. How can I do this now?  Thanks, Silvia

I believe this is already fixed: F6 key is now resetting current search context gain.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Astermaster said:

2. Option to hide saved serches item from left pannel. I do not use this option.

Saved Searches item is not shown if you don't have any saved searches. Please delete all your saved searches and you won't see this item.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Shortcuts are rendered with the same style as the item the shortcut is referring to. As for Saved Searches styling -- still looking into this. The Item Styles feature got a lot of positive feedback so now we're looking at how we can extend it to all other clients. Doing this across the service and multiple clients takes more time than Windows client beta release cycle.

Thanks for the response Peter.  I understand the comment on Saved Searches styling, but I'm not following on Shortcuts.  In the left pane, for example, I would like a specific shortcut to show in a bold red font.  This is a shortcut to a specific note.  I don't see how to change the note such that the shortcut title in the left pane can be bold red and a right mouse button on the shortcut name in the left pane does not show a style option.

• Level 5
Just now, s2sailor said:

No, my comment was about Shortcuts and Saved Searches in the left pane not having the styling options that notebooks and tags have.  There are Shortcuts, Notebooks, Tags and Saved Searched in the left pane.  It would be very handy if styling options were available for all these groups.

Shortcuts are rendered with the same style as the item the shortcut is referring to. As for Saved Searches styling -- still looking into this. The Item Styles feature got a lot of positive feedback so now we're looking at how we can extend it to all other clients. Doing this across the service and multiple clients takes more time than Windows client beta release cycle.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, nopivnick said:

@gustavgi, cc: @kvitekp

my god, man. I can't thank you enough for this.

unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem possible to select *multiple* tags once you've 'staged' them in a temporary note ... have you found any similarly effective workaround for selecting multiple tags for hierarchical reorganization?

n. 

Well I wouldn't call it "effective", but if you have 20 tags that you want to move to the same location, I would select 19 of them in the left panel and drag them onto the 20th, to make that 20th a temporary parent. You then tag the temporary note with only that parent tag, and then drag and drop that parent tag from the note into the desired destination in the left panel. At this point all the children tags will be moved as well and they are all preselected, so you just drag them onto the actual desired parent tag.

Hopefully that made sense.

I've been waiting a long time for the forward/back buttons on Windows mice to be supported but I was getting by with the forward/back arrows in the header.

Now with Evernote 6 there is not even that option. How are users supposed to go back and forth between a couple notes without opening them into multiple Windows?

22 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I am sure your system is very customized to your user needs, but in your example alone I can't see why you wouldn't want a possibility to make tag searches which returns all your 2016 trips (by typing in 2016), or all your Madrid trips (by typing in Madrid), but with a way to make all your old trips bottom suggestions (kind of like a context function).

If you make 30+ trips per year, would you still quickly remember by memory if you made a trip to Lisbon in 2006 or 2007 etc? This way Evernote might also help you refresh your memory with information you might have forgotten.

This however requires that you think of a way to use prefixes, or an additional tag, in a way that makes a search return your results with the most relevant information first (upcoming trips at the top), and still have a way to also be able to exclude upcoming trips if you only want to look at old trips.

This can be accomplished with either an additional prefix or an additional tag.

The main rule would then of course be to use punctuations as prefixes for the tags which are generally more important to you, as those are always at the top.

Fair point. So what you suggest is that I put like a letter 'z' in front of my old-trip labels, so that they come up as bottom suggestions. I could do that. And to your point, it would allow me to just type in Madrid. I think you just changed my mind and substring search is the better option.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bartm said:

I would love it to be user configurable. Currently I rely on "prefix" search for tags not to show up. In other words if "substring" search was introduced everywhere I would have way too many tags pop up. This is already a problem when I do a tag search in the new left pane. As an example: I have tags like "2016 06 Madrid" for all my trips (30+ per year). As soon as the trip is over, I prefix the tag with a period (like ".2016 06 Madrid") so that when I start typing 2016 not all my old trips start popping up.

I am sure your system is very customized to your user needs, but in your example alone I can't see why you wouldn't want a possibility to make tag searches which returns all your 2016 trips (by typing in 2016), or all your Madrid trips (by typing in Madrid), but with a way to make all your old trips bottom suggestions (kind of like a context function).

If you make 30+ trips per year, would you still quickly remember by memory if you made a trip to Lisbon in 2006 or 2007 etc? This way Evernote might also help you refresh your memory with information you might have forgotten.

This however requires that you think of a way to use prefixes, or an additional tag, in a way that makes a search return your results with the most relevant information first (upcoming trips at the top), and still have a way to also be able to exclude upcoming trips if you only want to look at old trips.

This can be accomplished with either an additional prefix or an additional tag.

The main rule would then of course be to use punctuations as prefixes for the tags which are generally more important to you, as those are always at the top.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bartm said:

I use a system very much like the one you are describing. Still I would like to have the all tags view back, because I regularly move tags(-hierarchies) from one parent to another. Example: move a project tag from parent "Projects Open" to "Projects Closed". With dozens of projects I now have to sit and wait for the whole list to (slowly) scroll by until I reach my destination. Plus the all tags view gave a much better overview. I mean, why not bring the all tags view back?

The all tags view had the ability to filter the tags, so you would type in "Projects" and it would show the top level of Projects, Projects Open and Projects Closed, together with their child tags. This would mean that it is easier to move those children from one Project category to another. With a list as the only option, I found myself making the tag I wanted to move a child of the tag at the top or bottom of the screen, then scrolling to get that tag to the opposite part of the screen, then moving my child tag to the next highest or lowest tag. Clumsy, but much easier than trying to scroll with the mouse held down.

Now, I just have multiple tags, so I filter by tag:Projects tag:Open, then select the notes I want to move. If there are a lot of them, I might add tag:ProjectName to my filter. Then I can select those notes and tag them with Closed instead of Open. Works for me, most of the time. I am finding notes that I have incorrectly tagged as well, which is an added benefit.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bartm said:

I use a system very much like the one you are describing. Still I would like to have the all tags view back, because I regularly move tags(-hierarchies) from one parent to another. Example: move a project tag from parent "Projects Open" to "Projects Closed". With dozens of projects I now have to sit and wait for the whole list to (slowly) scroll by until I reach my destination. Plus the all tags view gave a much better overview. I mean, why not bring the all tags view back?

In the mean time of us waiting for the new All Tags window, there is a "quick" workaround. You either create or use any note, and you tag that note with the tag you want to move. You then drag the tag from the note panel where the note is tagged, into the place in the left panel where you want it to be.

30 minutes ago, Bartm said:

i can see that would be quite annoying. i can also see why the all tags view would be helpful to this but since it's officially gone with no plans to come back there must be a good reason they got rid of it that outweighs this. i think it's always a good idea to make your system dependent on less feature than more, anyway. 

i started using tags before the all tags view came out so i'm actually used to this problem you have. i simply named my tag groups in such ways that the same level of divisions are always close to each other. thus every time i move a tag it will not cross over too many tags. for example, if you have "projects open" and "projects closed" buried in a list of a whole bunch of other project tags named "project aaa/mmm/yyy", you can simply add a symbol at the beginning of the first two tags, so they both stay on the top of the list above every other project tags. like this: 

Projects (main parent tag)

#projects closed

#projects open

projects auto

projects home

projects taxes

projects writing

etc. 

of course you may still have the problem moving from say projects writing which is always at the bottom, up to projects open if there are too many groups in between. but there also can be other ways you can rearrange the groups so there aren't too many sub groups on the same level. 

5 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree with the need to be consistent.

But the choice of whether to use "prefix" search or "substring" search is probably best put as a user option.  There are strong cases for both, and users appear to be split down the middle.  So if you force one method on all, you will make a lot of users unhappy.

I would love it to be user configurable. Currently I rely on "prefix" search for tags not to show up. In other words if "substring" search was introduced everywhere I would have way too many tags pop up. This is already a problem when I do a tag search in the new left pane. As an example: I have tags like "2016 06 Madrid" for all my trips (30+ per year). As soon as the trip is over, I prefix the tag with a period (like ".2016 06 Madrid") so that when I start typing 2016 not all my old trips start popping up.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest, if you searched for the duplicate tag which notes would you want to be returned?

All notes that have that tag.

this is just like searching for a subfolder  on your PC/Mac.  There would need to be some way of showing the parent of the tag in each note.

This could be really cool.  Let's take the case of "Insurance" as a tag.  Both "Home" and "Auto" have a sub tag of "Insurance".

search on the tag Insurance" returns my Insurance policies on all of my assets.  If I click on the Home tag it shows ALL of my home notes, INCLUDING Insurance.  Same for Auto.

Perfect!

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, FactMan said:

Also, the ability to create duplicate tags that are unique to the parent tag they are assigned to.

Out of interest, if you searched for the duplicate tag which notes would you want to be returned?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, csihilling said:

Good point. The parents of each tag would need to show up in the tag selection list, wouldn't they. Maybe not as easy as I was thinking.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Stephane Lo said:

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back. This is a deliberate decision, from 2 factors: 

1. This feature is used by less than 1% of our users and iOS/Android already phased that out.
  2. The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative.

This is also a conscious design decision and there are no plans to bring those screens back. We believe the current tag system in the left sidebar provides all the previous functionalities in a similar if not better form. Of course, we will keep improving on the current experience to allow easier organization. Please expand on what use cases are now made harder, and we'll see how this can be solved. 

I truly appreciate the transparancy. It also makes it easier to know what to fight extra for if neccessary.

Though I am gonna miss the All Tags view. Mainly because it was great to be able to sort tags by dragging and dropping from the All Tags view into the left panel. Moving a new tag from the bottom to the top of a hiearchy using only the left panel isn't a great experience. Now I've started to create the tag in the hiearchy first while creating a new note, but I prefer the old way where I could focus on finishing the note and to dive into the tag sorting after I was done with the note. 

54 minutes ago, Stephane Lo said:

This is also a conscious design decision and there are no plans to bring those screens back. We believe the current tag system in the left sidebar provides all the previous functionalities in a similar if not better form. Of course, we will keep improving on the current experience to allow easier organization. Please expand on what use cases are now made harder, and we'll see how this can be solved. 

"All Tags" and "All Notebooks" (multi column like Mac version) = You can see 50, 60 Tags or notebooks at a glance and find your aim without scrolling.

Sidebars = yes, it works too, but you have to scroll .... and to scroll ... and to scroll ...

you have to squint your eyes ... no problem for young developers - but for "old" users with glasses and notebooks ... you see ... ;-)

For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon

Ah! Great!!! Thank you!!!

As an Evernote Business user I like the idea to have the option of showing shortcuts for personal only when in personal notebooks and business only when in business notebooks. This works fine when placing a tag on the shortcuts bar, however if i create a search using several business tags then save it to the shortcut bar then it shows in the personal notes shortcuts as well as the business shortcuts. Of course if I click on the shortcut when in personal notes it returns a null search, which it will do because the saved search is made up of business tags and not personal tags.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, giogio80 said:

The tags created with this new version of Windows are not synchronized to Android. Urgent fix. It is not the only problem it seems ... very disappointed. Use evernote is no longer a pleasure. It is becoming a nightmare.

Sorry to hear that. Please try to uncheck Tools/Options/Sync [X] "Enable instant sync" and let us know if new tag synchronization problem persists.

• Level 5
13 hours ago, eric99 said:

After the upgrade to this newest release, I created a new note. This seems OK in the windows evernote, but in the Android version, the title of the new note is mixed with the content of an existing note !!!

This is certainly not expected, would it be possible to give us more details? Better yet, take this to Evernote customer support.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, motz said:

Version 6.0 is a definite improvement - thanks. I like the way search works. One new bug to report is that the keyboard shortcuts Alt-Left arrow and Alt-right arrow (used to navigate history) are broken if you open a note in a separate window. When you try to navigate in the note window it actually operates in the main Evernote window! Very confusing. It works fine if you use the mouse on the < and > icons in the notes toolbar so it should not be hard to fix.

Oops, this is a bug. Thank you for reporting!

3 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative

Hi @Stephane Lo

Will coordinate (longitude, latitude, altitude) searches continue to work?

3 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back.

There's an iPhone app called IdeaPlaces, which uses location data to transform our Evernote notes into visual points on a map. It also syncs with Dropbox and can be given access to your camera roll...

In the screenshot below, you'll see the blue pins are dropbox image files, whereas the green pins are Evernote notes. This is the area where I live, ha!:

bird's eye view.PNG

When you pinch to zoom, your Dropbox images and/ or Evernote note content show as thumbnail images. You can tap on those to reveal a gallery of notes/ images which you can scroll through... which in turn can be enlarged to full size or you can slide out a bottom panel to see larger thumbnails. You can also create an Evernote note, take pictures and much more from within IdeaPlaces, which will sync through to Evernote instantly. Works a charm! Below you'll see a thumbnail image at a mall I frequent and a scrollable gallery of images:

Mall.PNG

This is a free app and is featured in Evernote's App Center. I'm hoping Evernote will give them more of a shout-out and point to them as an Atlas Alternative (but way better).  

• Level 5
6 hours ago, keisoko said:

It would be nice if notebook drop-down on the left panel displayed the total number of notebooks I currently have in my account in parenthesis as it used to do with notes dropdown.

If you hover mouse pointer over the expand/collapse button at the left of Notebooks item in the left panel the tool tip will tell you how many notebooks you have.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, csihilling said:

When you use the search hot key, focus is returned to the search bar but the existing search is still there.  Is there a way to go to the search bar and reset the context at the same time?  Seems there are extra clicks in this version to clear.

Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ResetContextOnSearch to 1 and the current search context will be cleared when you press F6.

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

When you select a shortcut which points to a note, the notebook of the note becomes the context.  Any way to have the context be All Notes?  Not sure why the assumption that only the notebook of the note is pertinent to the next steps in the search?  Easy enough to select All Notes after clicking the shortcut, but still.

Looks like a bug to me -- expected behavior is: if the note is found in the currently selected context, the context should stay intact.Otherwise the context should be cleared and set to All Notes. Thank you for reporting.

36 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Hi @Stephane Lo

Will coordinate (longitude, latitude, altitude) searches continue to work?

There's an iPhone app called IdeaPlaces, which uses location data to transform our Evernote notes into visual points on a map. It also syncs with Dropbox and can be given access to your camera roll...

I just downloaded this app. Looks really cool. Thanks for the Idea !!!

My update attempt from 5.9 to 6.0.4 via Help/Check for updates failed. I got messages about finding a .msi in a path or something that I did not understand and "Contact Support".   Instead I downloaded Evernote_6.0.4.1688.exe from this Blog.  When I ran it the install seemed to proceed to completion without any messages but Help/About says I have 5.9 and Evernote looks the same as always. I would really like the latest version.  What am I doing wrong please?

P.S.  I just re-tried the "Help/Check for updates" method and this time it went without a hitch BUT I am still being told I have 5.9

2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

If you hover mouse pointer over the expand/collapse button at the left of Notebooks item in the left panel the tool tip will tell you how many notebooks you have.

The trick is to not have hovered over the notebook/ tag tab before sliding to the expand/ collapse arrow. You have to go directly to the arrow the it'll show...

• Level 5
25 minutes ago, Herbie said:

My update attempt from 5.9 to 6.0.4 via Help/Check for updates failed. I got messages about finding a .msi in a path or something that I did not understand and "Contact Support".   Instead I downloaded Evernote_6.0.4.1688.exe from this Blog.  When I ran it the install seemed to proceed to completion without any messages but Help/About says I have 5.9 and Evernote looks the same as always. I would really like the latest version.  What am I doing wrong please?

P.S.  I just re-tried the "Help/Check for updates" method and this time it went without a hitch BUT I am still being told I have 5.9

Not sure what the problem is, however you may want to try uninstalling 5.9 before installing V6.

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

The trick is to not have hovered over the notebook/ tag tab before sliding to the expand/ collapse arrow. You have to go directly to the arrow the it'll show...

Yeah, that's how Windows tootips work... not sure if we want to fix that.

13 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Yeah, that's how Windows tootips work... not sure if we want to fix that.

That was not for your benefit, ha! Just got to know how to find it... I do appreciate it, though :-)

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:
11 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

@Stephane Lo, have you done ANY usability testing with a large number of tags, say > 1,000?

After all, Evernote does state it will support up to 100,000 tags.  Can you say, with a straight face, the EN Win will actually do this?

The old design of the Tags View was poor, but this is a disaster for management of a large number of tags.

IAC, please include a much functionality as you can in the right-click context menu for Tags in the Left Side Panel:

Tag List -- Right-click on any tag to:

• Move under Parent Tag (provides Tag selection like with the Tag Filter)
  • Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Assign to Selected Notes
  • UnAssign from Selected Notes
  • Unassign from All Notes
  • Collapse/Expand All below this Tag
  • Create Shortcut

Right-click on "Tags" icon/banner
  • Create Tag
  • Find Tag
  • Include Child Tags in Searches (check on/off)
  • Assign Selected Tags to New Notes (check on/off)
  • Sort by Name (check on/off)
  • Sort by Note Count (check on/off)

• Evernote Expert
11 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back. This is a deliberate decision, from 2 factors: 

1. This feature is used by less than 1% of our users and iOS/Android already phased that out.
  2. The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative.

I think such transparency which we never had under the previous Evernote management goes on to impress users in a long way. Hopefully, we wont be hearing anymore ' Evernote does not reveal its plans openly' kind of statements. 

We appreciate the efforts put in my staff to take feedback and interaction with the users which is shaping our product's future immensely. 

Thank you @stephane

On 10-5-2016 at 5:10 AM, ProBookkeeper said:

Please bring back the All Tags Pane and the All Notebooks Pane which used to show to the right of the Left Panel when selecting Tags or Notebooks.

Using the left panel to scroll for Notebooks and Tags doesn't seem as natural.

Could someone tell me why this very useful option is gone. I use it always to keep the (nested)labes organized.
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, EdH said:

Reminders should be visible without having to go look for them. This feature is fundamentally broken in all versions of Evernote. On iOS you get a badge icon, and when you go into the app, nothing. You have no clue what caused the badge icon, so you have to go find something.

On Windows, the popup toast happens, and if you aren't at your desk watching your screen for that 15 seconds, you never know a reminder happened. I cannot remember if the Mac does this or has a badge icon, but same thing - no way to know what caused it.

I don't know how it works on Android, but I cannot imagine it is any better.

The reminder feature is wonderful. The implementation doesn't actually remind you of anything though. I keep track of them in Outlook (used to use Sunrise) where I can actually see them on a calendar and when a reminder fires there, it tells me why and doesn't hide it.

Just responding to the OPs question re where to find them in Windows, not solving the reminders implementation opportunities.  ;)

IAC, I very rarely use that reminder list, mostly since I use side list no left panel as my default view.  I have some searches in the shortcuts bar and some PhaseExpress hot keys for reminders (today, late and the like).  Same searches work on IOS shortcuts "bar" as well, so if you put them on the front of the shortcut bar they appear on the IOS EN home screen.  And yeah, having a sticky popup would make sense.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, nicobro88 said:

That's been happening to me forever. I guess that's because the clipped text has a font that doesn't exists in your system assigned to it, so it returns you the "inherit" name but sets the default font. In my case, if I change size or style of the font it will change the font name (eg: set bold to text and inherit turns to Helvetica Neue) but if revert those changes, the inherit font appears again.

Is that final word your way to track reported bugs?:P.... I like the idea!

I get "inherit" if the font doesn't exist, but the system shouldn't change me back to inherit after I've selected a font.

Yes, I am going to tag my notes like this then go back and edit them when it is resolved. Tired of posting bugs and glitches and then they get lost when a new version pops up and a new thread starts.

51 minutes ago, Chris_n_Arizona said:

I have a question about how Reminders are displayed in the new release. They used to appear at the top of list in a separate box from the other notes. Is that function still available? I do see that you can now sort reminders by three different parameters which is very nice and a great added feature. I'm at a lost on where the separated out reminder section went to. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

I hope this will help you:

evernote screenshot.png

• Level 5*

There is inconsistent usage of how to delete/trash items.

Right-clicking on the following shows "Delete" in the menu:

• notebooks
  • tags

Right-clicking on a note shows "Move to trash"

Hovering over the trash icon in a note shows "Delete" in the tool tip.

keywords: EHUnresolved

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

but it's the fact that notes don't have styles

The majority of my short cuts are saved searches and not notes.  I should not have used the note example.  I see the problem with adding styles to individual notes and I'm not requesting that.  My individual note shortcuts could be easily changed to a saved search, so I guess what is really desired is a way to style saved searches and as Peter mentioned, they are looking into it.

@gustavgi, cc: @kvitekp

my god, man. I can't thank you enough for this.

unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem possible to select *multiple* tags once you've 'staged' them in a temporary note ... have you found any similarly effective workaround for selecting multiple tags for hierarchical reorganization?

n. 

On 4/25/2016 at 6:28 AM, gustavgi said:

In the mean time of us waiting for the new All Tags window, there is a "quick" workaround. You either create or use any note, and you tag that note with the tag you want to move. You then drag the tag from the note panel where the note is tagged, into the place in the left panel where you want it to be.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

I was hoping someone might advise me on how to revert to an earlier version.

So what happened to the pivot to Asia. It's not only Down Under that's enjoying Monday morn, also Japan, China, Indonesia, India etc etc - i.e. about half the worlds population.

Links are stilling working for me, so not sure I understand your use case, sorry.  Anyway,

hace 14 horas, csihilling dijo:

If you are referencing emptying the trash, it you press F10 to close the left panel the trash icon becomes visible in a strip on the left.  You can then right click to empty the trash and F10 to display the left panel again.

If you are referencing deleting notes, you can also delete notes by 1) right clicking and selecting move to trash or 2) adding the Trash icon to the main toolbar and click it when the note to be deleted is highlighted.

ScreenClip.png

I am referencing deleting notes. But in the way on drag and drop notes. Move notes between notebooks is more fluid in this way.

• Ex Employees
On 5/24/2016 at 2:41 AM, Jookman said:

When I search for a tag I don't even know which parent it is nested under. To move a tag created on a note I need to painstakingly scroll through 1000 entries to figure out the location where I want to place

The all tag view that is now back with the 6.1.1. This should allow you to see where the child tags are. 

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

It's not a bug it a change we've made after finding out that some people are confused when a click in a single note view window changes current search in the main window. Please provide use cases and we'll see what can be done.

Well then I agree that you should stick with no arrows in single note view. But for that reason I also do feel that the old shift+click on a tag as a way to add tags to search, in no matter what context, should be carried over from v5 to v6.

The reason why I want to be able to click in a single note view window to change the current search in the main windows is actually the other side of the coin to the scenario that you are mentioning. I want to change the search without loosing what I am working on.

Say I open 1 note. Then I find a second note and open that. Now that I have both notes opened next to each other, I want to find notes tagged with with one of the tags in the note I opened first. This is since v6 no longer possible unless I first search for the first note again (back arrow etc) and bring it back into the main window (or of course manually type in the name of the tag in tag picker). But the reason for having the arrows/the shift-click is productivity, which is otherwise lost.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Vesa Vuorinen said:

Search suggestions is gone!!! (This was verified to me from Evernote Support)

Search suggestions are still there: please click on an arrow at the right of the Search Box or just press Ctrl+F10 once to reveal Search Info.

• Level 5
On 4/24/2016 at 4:54 PM, JMichaelTX said:

So to be clear, we would have two ways to show/hide tags in the Left Sidebar:

1. Click on the ▶ button to show or hide the hierarchy under that tag, but retain how the user has shown or hid any sub-tags
    1. Initially, it would just show the next level of tags, and NOT expand any sub-tags.
  2. Right-click on the Tag to fully expand, or fully collapse the entire hierarchy under that Tag.

This would be so powerful.

@JMichaelTXBTW, holding down Shift key while clicking the expand/collapse icon in the left panel will invoke "deep" operation which will expand/collapse the clicked item and all its subitems. This is works for all items types: top level items, stacks, sub tags, etc. You can also press left/right arrow keys to do the same while the item is selected.

• Level 5*

Is there any plan to bring back Shift+click on tags tagged to a note, to add to search? The new arrow with the same function that shows up on hover, doesn't show up for tags that doesn't fit the main window but is hidden in the fly-out menu.

And it would be nice to have the arrows show at all times as well, as hover commands aren't touch friendly. Alternatively you could add "add to search" on right click on the tag.

Also, a bug prevents the arrows from showing in single note view.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chris_n_Arizona said:

I have a question about how Reminders are displayed in the new release. They used to appear at the top of list in a separate box from the other notes. Is that function still available? I do see that you can now sort reminders by three different parameters which is very nice and a great added feature. I'm at a lost on where the separated out reminder section went to. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Reminders should be still visible above the note list in Snippet or Card view,  You do have to be in a context that has a reminder note in it somewhere.  Try one of the two views when in All Notes context and you should see your reminders.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, pepemacias said:

For the moment I have two big problems now. I use Evernote to organize files and notes but primarily to implement GTD.

One advantage now is that tags are not lost in the toolbar, but on the other hand the title is lost now. It is best not to lose any of them, but title is most important I think, specially in GTD because I write my tasks in titles to see it in the Note List. Step behind here.
Also, titles were in connection with notes before, and now they are separated with other information between: something counterintuitive.
My productivity was very damaged with this change.

You might want to explain this a bit further, as it is hard to understand what you are refering to. In what way are titles "lost", but tags are "not lost" in the toolbar? Are you talking about Shortcuts?

And what do you mean that titles were in connection with notes, and now there is information in between? It sounds to me like you are refering to the columns in Top list/Side list-view, and those can be ordered manually by dragging and dropping the column at the top.

16 hours ago, pepemacias said:

Other problem now is the trash icon. If it is at the bottom of sidebar is difficult to access it. I have to down by all my sidebar with so much notebooks and tags unfolded. Really difficult to drag and drop so. Specially in GTD, anew, where drag and drop is very important.
Before there was the same problem but it was less unconfortable to use because trash icon was "only" at the bottom of notebooks.
Please, I need an option to have the trash icon in a comfortable place for drag and drop notes.

Like you are saying, It is far from optimal to use a drag and drop to delete a note now, but it was also far from optimal before because the trash icon was at the bottom of notebooks.

I suggest that you use a way more GTD-friendly operation for deleting notes.

I suggest you either use the tips mentioned above, where you delete a note by a single click on the trash icon in the toolbar, or right click on the note and click "move to trash". You can also press the Delete-button on the keyboard when the note is selected, to move it to trash.

Hi there...

I noticed this morning after upgrading to v6.0.6 that the Evernote plugin in windows didn't appear in the toolbar.  I removed and reinstalled Evernote, but no button.

I'm using windows 7 and outlook 2007... is this supported?  Something else going on??

Thanks!

Karl

38 minutes ago, kmarble said:

Hi there...

I noticed this morning after upgrading to v6.0.6 that the Evernote plugin in windows didn't appear in the toolbar.  I removed and reinstalled Evernote, but no button.

I'm using windows 7 and outlook 2007... is this supported?  Something else going on??

Thanks!

Karl

I'm having the exact same problem.

I downloaded the new Evernote 6.06 update yesterday and it went fine. Today when I logged in it said it wanted to run the Evernote 6.06 installer, so I clicked OK. I now have 2 Evernote icons sitting on my taskbar. How do I get rid of one?

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Astermaster said:

Hello,

The udate adds absolutely useless features such as: color tags, pinned saved searches item in left pannel. 

What I need is:

1. Color shortcuts, color notebooks - more common - it will be much more useful to apply styles to shortcuts and tags. These items are used much more frequently than tags, which I have enormous number and (6000 notes, evernote user since 2010)

2. Option to hide saved serches item from left pannel. I do not use this option. Why should I see it in the most important place of the client UI. 

You can add color to notebooks as well, just not from the shortcut menu. Notebooks and Tags that are added to shortcuts will display their style in shortcuts as well. At this point you can't add styles to notes, stacks or saved searches though.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, ReganHouse37 said:

Now if you'll just add format painter I can attribute some common sense to the development team.

Try using Ctrl+D then F4 -- this is not a full fledged format painter, however it allows you to apply character format to multiple places. If you need to pick existing format, place cursor into it, press Ctrl+D, then OK.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, Jody1 said:

Thanks for the windows 6.0 update and congrats on the release! I use Evernote business and most everything I've tried works great. I've noticed one problem though. I want to be able to click on a business tag (Using the 'assign selected tags to new notes' feature) and then click on 'new note' to create a new business note. However, when I do that, 'new note' creates a personal note, not a business note. The result is a personal note (in my default personal notebook) that contains business tags - a confusing hybrid. 'New note' does create business notes if I've selected a notebook in the left panel and then ctrl-click a tag, but not when I've selected a tag and try to rely on the default business notebook. I'm hoping Evernote can add this to their list of fixes.

Sounds like a but to me, will investigate.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Homegrown said:

In List view, it appear below the list.   In snippet and Card view, is is on the right.

As I remember I used to be able to select where it should be, but now I cannot find the option.

In Windows this menu is accessed from the drop down to the left of the search box.

menu.jpg

hace 9 minutos, EdH dijo:

There is a bug in the editor. I clipped a note from the web and wanted to add some text at the bottom. The font dialog says "inherit" which isn't the name of any font on my system. There are two fonts in the note, but they both say "inherit." The sizes are different too, but both say "10" for the size. The one in italics does properly show italics in the tool bar button.

When I go to the bottom of the note, I changed the font to "Calibri" and then turned off italics. However, when I turned off italics, the font changed back to "inherit." If I turn off italics first, then select the font, it works.

EHUnresolved

That's been happening to me forever. I guess that's because the clipped text has a font that doesn't exists in your system assigned to it, so it returns you the "inherit" name but sets the default font. In my case, if I change size or style of the font it will change the font name (eg: set bold to text and inherit turns to Helvetica Neue) but if revert those changes, the inherit font appears again.

Is that final word your way to track reported bugs?:P.... I like the idea!

Two bugs that I reported already during the private beta are still there:

Styles for notebooks are not synced.

Stacks in Shortcuts (left sidebar) are constantly being collapsed and don't remember their settings (open/closed).

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ggilmore48 said:

I love the new design. Just one problem. All the tags show up, regardless of the notebook I highlight. I wish only the tags associated with a particular notebook would show up. I can't remember which ones go with which notebook. So it's hard to find my notes. Can this be fixed?

If you select a notebook and you have "search explanation" checked in the View menu, the tag icon with a magnifying glass above the note list shows only the tags in that notebook.

Look great

Have not had the time yet to poke around and see what it can yet.
One thing I did find however, is that I am not able to decide where the Note Panel appears.

In List view, it appear below the list.   In snippet and Card view, is is on the right.

As I remember I used to be able to select where it should be, but now I cannot find the option.

If you hit enter after the title in your note, it will give you some additional spaces at the top of the note to start adding more text.  Sometimes there is a bit of blank space at the top of the page and just put your cursor there.  I have had success with both.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, IanHinton said:

Does anybody know if Evernote is going to fix this? It's really irritating and interrupts the agility of usage.

Hi - Evernote don't (usually) share what's being worked on,  or give release dates in advance.  If everyone who suffers from the problem sends in a bug report,  that might concentrate their mind a little - it wouldn't hurt to quote this thread URL as a reference.  I'll try to get the posts on this moved to a separate 'Feeback' thread,  and then maybe we can get some votes recorded specifically about this bug too...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Assuming you're talking about missing styling for notebooks and tags in shortcuts section of the left pane -- it seems to work as expected here: notebooks and tags shortcuts in the left panel are now rendered with the selected style.

No, my comment was about Shortcuts and Saved Searches in the left pane not having the style options that notebooks and tags have.  There are Shortcuts, Notebooks, Tags and Saved Searches in the left pane.  It would be very handy if style options were available for all these groups and not just Notebooks and Tags.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks for the response Peter.  I understand the comment on Saved Searches styling, but I'm not following on Shortcuts.  In the left pane, for example, I would like a specific shortcut to show in a bold red font.  This is a shortcut to a specific note.  I don't see how to change the note such that the shortcut title in the left pane can be bold red and a right mouse button on the shortcut name in the left pane does not show a style option.

It's not that shortcuts don't have styles, but it's the fact that notes don't have styles. Tags and Notebooks have styles, and their styles will show in Shortcuts as well. What you are asking for is to be able to add styles to notes. As notes are not "metadata" in the same way, my guess is that this would be problematic.

And with the fact that you are not allowed to have more than 255 styles at this point, people would sooner reach this limit if they were to apply to single notes as well.

On 5/10/2016 at 10:18 PM, kvitekp said:

The problems you describe suggest that Evernote cannot write its state to the registry. This is usually because of the security restrictions or some other kind of policy enabled on your computer. I recommend contacting Evernote customer support, they should be able to help you to resolve the problem

So far they've had me try checking the items and using File/Exit (which is what I've already done) and even trying a remove/re-install. Neither has worked.

Please bring back the All Tags view

Please allow us to change the font size of the app (i.e. toolbar, tags, notebooks) - its the only app I have that I need to bring my face to the screen to see words.

Please allow a date tag that we don't need to create - once you've converted to thinking in tags, it just helps to have another.

I would love to have some analytics of the tags within evernote. I would love to see tag heat maps, tag heat maps for the day, for the week etc; just to track activity.

Thanks for listening

On 4/22/2016 at 2:53 PM, HerbyDE said:

"All Tags" and "All Notebooks" (multi column like Mac version) = You can see 50, 60 Tags or notebooks at a glance and find your aim without scrolling.

Sidebars = yes, it works too, but you have to scroll .... and to scroll ... and to scroll ...

you have to squint your eyes ... no problem for young developers - but for "old" users with glasses and notebooks ... you see ... ;-)

Please bring back the ALL TAGS view -  I also have over 1000 tags, and while the search function allows me to find them without problem, having to drag the tags to nest them under others is very slow and tedious. I can only see 40 at a time on my screen, which is quite large.

On 4/30/2016 at 9:05 AM, JeffreyC said:

I know a lot is flooding in here, but, this one changes the workflow of Evernote, so I want to mention it.

If you right click on the Evernote icon on the taskbar and select "New Note," that new note's notebook used to default to your "default notebook" ---- but now they are going into the "currently in use" notebook.   Any chance this can go back to the way it was?  To me, the way it was made more sense as if you are working outside of Evernote and want to remember something, you could use "New Note" from the Windows Environment (or the related hot key) to make a note in your "inbox" to address later.  (Go #GTD!)

Thanks @Stephane Lo and @emerick for listening and all you are doing. :-)  

I wanted to ping this as I'm back from a trip with lots of stuff to get into Evernote, and not having this is really a bother.  :wacko:

Thanks again for listening.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, KevKal said:

I've been waiting a long time for the forward/back buttons on Windows mice to be supported but I was getting by with the forward/back arrows in the header.

Now with Evernote 6 there is not even that option. How are users supposed to go back and forth between a couple notes without opening them into multiple Windows?

You have to add the arrows yourself by right clicking on the main toolbar and customizing which buttons you want.

19 minutes ago, FactMan said:

The all tags view had the ability to filter the tags, so you would type in "Projects" and it would show the top level of Projects, Projects Open and Projects Closed, together with their child tags. This would mean that it is easier to move those children from one Project category to another. With a list as the only option, I found myself making the tag I wanted to move a child of the tag at the top or bottom of the screen, then scrolling to get that tag to the opposite part of the screen, then moving my child tag to the next highest or lowest tag. Clumsy, but much easier than trying to scroll with the mouse held down.

Now, I just have multiple tags, so I filter by tag:Projects tag:Open, then select the notes I want to move. If there are a lot of them, I might add tag:ProjectName to my filter. Then I can select those notes and tag them with Closed instead of Open. Works for me, most of the time. I am finding notes that I have incorrectly tagged as well, which is an added benefit.

Thanks for helping us figure out work-arounds/solutions. However, I think your technique doesn't work for me: I don't re-tag notes, I move a tag "project name" from it's parent "projects open" to a another parent "projects closed". Other than that I think your suggestions are useful for filtering out notes.

25 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Great tip, thanks!

Search would be much more useful if Saved Searched would also save the Sort parameters.  (maybe combine with with remembering the sort order for each notebook or tag selection too, instead of 'one sort order fits all approach used now)

13 minutes ago, lerax said:

hundreds of tags should not be too hard to manage. i have more than 5k tags but i came up with a system of my own to organize them. i can reach any tag within 4 clicks and i don't have to memorize anything specifically. maybe you should start doing the same. someday you may have thousands of tags as well. the all tags page can't be that much better than the list. 

a simple system is to create a parent tag for each letter in the alphabet. then move all your tags under these parent tags alphabetically. this way you will have 26 parent tags and if you have averagely 20 tags under each parent, that's more than 500 tags right there. 

what i do with mine is, if you're interested, first i classify my tags into 4 categories which are led by these 4 parent tags: ! action, " project, * topic, and / content. (i start all my tags with a symbol to have sort of an auto group effect, note the space). action means how i will be using the notes, such as !read, !fill, !checkout, etc. a project is a particular group of notes that i keep together, for example: "55WLtenant, which means profiles for all the tenants who have lived or are living in my house at 55 Wonderland. topic is pretty self explanatory. when i clip a page from the web or write an article myself i tag it with all the topics that it relates to, like *food, *music, *london, *politics, etc. content is the general description of what a note is, such as /journal, /todo, /question, /receipt, /photo, and so on. i have two more levels of subdivisions to further classify some of these groups. for example, under " project i have "family, "business, "property, etc. under "family i have "parents, "kids, "relationships. and under "relationships i have "2015CBbday which was a project to throw a birthday party for my girlfriend. (i'm keeping all these notes so i can recycle the ideas with my next girlfriend, smart eh?) when i create a tag, all i have to think about is what kind of a tag it should be, and then mark it with the according symbol. this way it will automatically appear right under the parent tag it belongs to. and i drag it into the parent tag or the sub groups to tidy up. that's all. when i want to access a tag i start from the parent tag and select the subdivision from a list of about 10 and then another level of subdivision from about 20. my target tag will now be listed among some 20-50 other tags in numerical/alphabetical order. since i built this system myself and tailored all the group names to make the most sense to me, this selecting process is all very natural and smooth. i can find any tag within 2-5 seconds. if i use certain tags very frequently and want to find them faster, well that's what shortcuts are for, isn't it? 

hope this helps. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bartm said:

As soon as you move the parent the whole tree will be flattened into an alphabetical list. The logic behind this still escapes me. This is destructive behaviour, without a clear intent from the user and with potential disastrous consequences that cannot be undone and therefore should be qualified as a bug.

This is terrible!  Surely this is a bug!   If you move a parent tag, the hierarchy of all of its child tags should remain exactly they were.

What would anyone want moving of the parent tag to flatten the hierarchy???

On 4/24/2016 at 9:18 PM, Cao Yi said:

Yes, simpler is better.

But the "All Tags" page is simpler than the dropdown list for me.

Many of my notes have multi tags, and 3000+ notes are created. The hundreds tags are hard to manage now.

hundreds of tags should not be too hard to manage. i have more than 5k tags but i came up with a system of my own to organize them. i can reach any tag within 4 clicks and i don't have to memorize anything specifically. maybe you should start doing the same. someday you may have thousands of tags as well. the all tags page can't be that much better than the list. 

a simple system is to create a parent tag for each letter in the alphabet. then move all your tags under these parent tags alphabetically. this way you will have 26 parent tags and if you have averagely 20 tags under each parent, that's more than 500 tags right there. 

what i do with mine is, if you're interested, first i classify my tags into 4 categories which are led by these 4 parent tags: ! action, " project, * topic, and / content. (i start all my tags with a symbol to have sort of an auto group effect, note the space). action means how i will be using the notes, such as !read, !fill, !checkout, etc. a project is a particular group of notes that i keep together, for example: "55WLtenant, which means profiles for all the tenants who have lived or are living in my house at 55 Wonderland. topic is pretty self explanatory. when i clip a page from the web or write an article myself i tag it with all the topics that it relates to, like *food, *music, *london, *politics, etc. content is the general description of what a note is, such as /journal, /todo, /question, /receipt, /photo, and so on. i have two more levels of subdivisions to further classify some of these groups. for example, under " project i have "family, "business, "property, etc. under "family i have "parents, "kids, "relationships. and under "relationships i have "2015CBbday which was a project to throw a birthday party for my girlfriend. (i'm keeping all these notes so i can recycle the ideas with my next girlfriend, smart eh?) when i create a tag, all i have to think about is what kind of a tag it should be, and then mark it with the according symbol. this way it will automatically appear right under the parent tag it belongs to. and i drag it into the parent tag or the sub groups to tidy up. that's all. having symbols at the beginning of every tag also gives me freedom to create tags with the same simple word if they are in different categories. for example if i clipped an article about family and tagged it with *family, this will not interfere with my "family project group. when i want to access a tag i start from the parent tag and select the subdivision from a list of about 10 and then another level of subdivision from about 20. my target tag will now be listed among some 20-50 other tags in numerical/alphabetical order. since i built this system myself and tailored all the group names to make the most sense to me, this selecting process is all very natural and smooth. i can find any tag within 2-5 seconds. if i use certain tags very frequently and want to find them faster, well that's what shortcuts are for, isn't it? 

hope this helps. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, askswap said:

I would expect consistency. Please, make also note tag adder with "substring search" semantics. It is much better than "auto complete" semantics.

I agree with the need to be consistent.

But the choice of whether to use "prefix" search or "substring" search is probably best put as a user option.  There are strong cases for both, and users appear to be split down the middle.  So if you force one method on all, you will make a lot of users unhappy.

15 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Note tag adder has "auto complete" semantics which is based on prefix search: you start typing and the system helps you by suggesting tags that start with the characters you've typed.

Search tag adder has "substring search" semantics that matches typed characters anywhere in the tag name.

I would expect consistency. Please, make also note tag adder with "substring search" semantics. It is much better than "auto complete" semantics.

5 hours ago, lisec said:

Surely I am just not seeing something here.

How can I view my tag hierarchies?  I spent an awful lot of time sticking tags under a "recipes" heading, and a "when" heading and a "film" heading and I can't see how to get those hierarchical views back.

I select tags in the left pane and they are alphabetical ONLY.

Your hierarchies can also be destroyed by simply moving them. I found this out the painful way. This is a side-effect of the new auto-select children feature, which has probably been introduced to assist with the new styling options. Whenever you select a parent tag, it's children will be selected automatically. As soon as you move the parent the whole tree will be flattened into an alphabetical list. The logic behind this still escapes me. This is destructive behaviour, without a clear intent from the user and with potential disastrous consequences that cannot be undone and therefore should be qualified as a bug.

The way to avoid this is to de-select 'autoselect children' in the settings.

Archived