I have the current beta installed on my mobile and the search function has stopped working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. When I start a search it looks like it is trying but nothing comes back. Huawei P20 Pro. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, johnfrew2104 said:

Have not tried but I need it to work on the phone. 

I understand that, but I am trying to see if your search index is totally messed up, or if it is just on your phone.

This sounds like it could be related to ticket #2804215 that I opened Mar 22, 22:14 PDT. Quoted below is what I put in the ticket, except for the link to my activity log. Pixel 2 XL, Android 9, EN for Android 8.9.

I didn't post here until now because I wanted to give support a chance to fix or at least respond to this very serious and embarrassing failure before making it public, but as of now, I've gotten no response. I am a premium user.

Time permitting, I will re-install Evernote on my old tablet and see if the problem is there too.

I am disgruntled.

I have a saved search that I've been using for ages. The query is pretty basic:

notebook:"Actions Pending" tag:1-Now

On the Android app, it was working fine until a couple of hours ago. Now all I get is a mostly blank screen with some reminders. Here is a link to an EN note with three screen shots, plus captions I wrote, showing the badly broken search results produced by this query: 

https://www.evernote.com/l/AOVdalA0KShCNpPlKVtbGAqlpTplXceci3M/ (plus additional tests I did)

Here is link to an EN note with the activity log, including my EN, Android versions and HW info: 

https://www.evernote.com/l/[censored]/

In fact, all my other saved searches in Android are broken in a similar way. Searching by tag from the menu seems to work fine, i.e. produces results that look reasonable although I haven't checked them in detail.

On the Windows client and the Web client, all saved searches are working fine. For the save search query above, there should be 6 notes found, one of them has an upcoming reminder set for 3/23/2019 7 pm, the other 5 have no reminders set.

Seriously, what's going on here? How could something as fundamental as search just break in a production environment?

• Like 1

Update: I re-installed on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (Android 7; EN Android app 8.8.1) and saved searches are working fine. But, they are still badly broken on the Pixel as per the ticket I opened.

EN support is supposed to be open Sunday (for chat, at least) but apparently they don't check email, as I haven't heard a thing from them.

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since this problem seems to apply to users of the beta version, I'd suggest adding your voices to the report on it in the beta forum:

If it's a serious problem for you, it might be best to drop back from the 8.9 beta to the current released version, 8.8.

6 hours ago, Bielefeldt said:

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

Solution:

It's a little weird, but if my keyword starts with capital letter, then the search function works.

It was a good discovery.

• Like 1

Same for me, Evernote 8.9 on Galaxy note 8 android Pie, 6500 notes and many troubles in searching.

Sometimes it works but many times it doesn't, and often it ends crashing.

Tried to clear the cache and then to reinstall, still not working properly.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, John in Michigan USA said:

This sounds like it could be related to ticket #2804215 that I opened Mar 22, 22:14 PDT. Quoted below is what I put in the ticket, except for the link to my activity log. Pixel 2 XL, Android 9, EN for Android 8.9.

...turns out my problem wasn't related to this problem. I'd accidentally installed a Beta version of the app. It is surprisingly easy to do, even though I long since left the beta programme on Google Play. I think it happened because, when I got a new phone, G Play offered a list of previously installed apps that I might want to put on the new phone. I probably clicked Evernote without drilling down to see it was Beta.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:34 AM, John in Michigan USA said:

...turns out my problem wasn't related to this problem. I'd accidentally installed a Beta version of the app. It is surprisingly easy to do, even though I long since left the beta programme on Google Play. I think it happened because, when I got a new phone, G Play offered a list of previously installed apps that I might want to put on the new phone. I probably clicked Evernote without drilling down to see it was Beta.

Updated update: I am no longer sure that I installed the Beta version of the Evernote app by accident. I am beginning to think that Evernote, or Google Play, is distributing the Beta version to non-Beta users. I think this for two reasons:

1. two days ago, the EN app on my Pixel 2 XL (that was working fine) auto-updated and now I appear to have the beta software again (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support) on my Pixel.
  2. Yesterday, the EN app on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (that was working fine) auto-updated and now it too appears to have the beta software (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support).

I am interested if anyone is experiencing this who has NOT been a past member of the Android Beta program?

I opened Ticket# 2814243 re issue 1 above. The first line support person clearly understand the problem but is apparently powerless to do anything about it. The support person(s) above that seem mired it some sort of dysfunction, as there has been no update to the ticket since it was opened. Sad, sad face.

• Level 5
32 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Updated update: I am no longer sure that I installed the Beta version of the Evernote app by accident. I am beginning to think that Evernote, or Google Play, is distributing the Beta version to non-Beta users. I think this for two reasons:

1. two days ago, the EN app on my Pixel 2 XL (that was working fine) auto-updated and now I appear to have the beta software again (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support) on my Pixel.
  2. Yesterday, the EN app on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (that was working fine) auto-updated and now it too appears to have the beta software (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support).

I am interested if anyone is experiencing this who has NOT been a past member of the Android Beta program?

I opened Ticket# 2814243 re issue 1 above. The first line support person clearly understand the problem but is apparently powerless to do anything about it. The support person(s) above that seem mired it some sort of dysfunction, as there has been no update to the ticket since it was opened. Sad, sad face.

Very, very puzzling. On my Android phone, the app is indicated as v. 8.8.1. In the Play Store app, this is also the current version number, with an update date of January 24, 2019, and no further updates are shown as available. At https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote, v. 8.8 is also listed as the current version--but the update date is April 4, 2019, just two days ago! 8.8 has been out much longer than that; I updated to it on February 4. Sometimes new versions are made available on a rolling basis, rather than being available to everyone at once, so it's conceivable that some people could get a public release v. 8.9 rather than a beta. But I can't find anywhere where the current release is anything above 8.8. @Nick L.? @Shane D.? Any advice?

Oh, yeah -- and see this post on another thread:

And this one:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

@Dave-in-Decatur thanks for the links, I will start following those discussions too. It looks like Evernote on Android is having a version contamination problem.

Astoundingly, this appears to have been going on for quite a while.

Wow. I had the search issue as well, deinstalled/left beta, everything worked fine. A few days later, I got an automatic update, thinking it was the normal - non beta version. Search ist broken again. After I read your post, I checked the app version - 8.9. Seems to be the same beta for non beta users problem?! 

Edit:8.9 seems to be public. Does that mean the known bug from beta was simply released despite the complaints in this forum?

On 4/6/2019 at 12:50 PM, chronistin said:

Same problem here, also Note 9. The only version I see in the play store is 8.9, there does not seem to be an older version available.

A deinstall and reinstall solved the problem for me. 

Or rarely works. It's been like that for months now. I simply forgot to report it. Search doesn't return any results for simple, single, separate English words guaranteed to be present in my notes.

Connectivity - assured.

Notebooks - personal i.e. not shared notebooks.

Restarts, reboots, cleaning app cache don't work. It's been like that on my previous Android installation so I assume reinstalling the app doesn't help either.

Tested also with Google 's WebView 73.x instead of my AOSP WebView 69.x.

An excerpt from Evernote log:

Auto Sync Enabled: true
Master Sync Enabled: true
Sync Interval: 3600000
Accessibility: 0
Offline Search is activated
Offline Search Index is ready
------------------------

Device and Install Info
----------------------------------------
Brand: Motorola
Model: XT1562
Product: Moto X Play
Display: lineage_lux-userdebug 7.1.2 ####
Display Width: 1080
Display Height: 1776
Display Density: 3.0
Android version: 7.1.2
Preloaded: false
IsTablet: false
Evernote version: 8.9(1082813)
Evernote revision: 8.9_2464
Evernote type: public
WebView version: 69.0.3497.109
Editor version Uno: 62.4.7951
Editor version Classic: UNAVAILABLE
Network operator:  /
Locale: en_GB
isRTL: false
Package: com.evernote
Arch: armv7l
Arch supported: [armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Orientation: Portrait
Resources-Folder: values-v24
Data path: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files
Internal storage: 2 GB / 10 GB
External storage: 2 GB / 10 GB
SDCardStatus: null
Installer: com.android.vending
Rooted: false
Xposed: false
-------------------------

Screenshot_20190405-114910.png

Screenshot_20190405-155704.png

Screenshot_20190405-155905.png

Screenshot_20190409-161521.png

Screenshot_20190409-161845.png

I've just re-installed the app as cleanly and as with many restarts as possible. It changed nothing.

Something is truly off though.

I just checked it on my girlfriend's phone (my android is almost a stock one, while she uses Huawei P10 lite) and she gets different UI elements etc. I get only the "recycle" circle arrow (see the attached image) and nothing else while she gets a proper magnifying glass icon with a complete message "No notes have been found" or something like that.

IMG_20190409_183001.jpg

• Like 1

I've scanned through Play Store reviews. At least 2 people reported Search related issues in 2019 alone. There's even a reply from Evernote from 11/08/2018 stating that it's a known issue and that updating WebView might help.

EDIT:

Still same behaviour. Google's WebView 73.x.

@rimboma it would be interesting to know your detailed version number from your most recent activity log. Under the "Device and Install Info" section you will find lines similar to:

Evernote version: 8.x(yyyyyyy)
Evernote revision: 8.x_zzzz
Evernote type: public (or something else)

This information would help determine if your issue is related to @Bill Clarke 's problem.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

@rimboma it would be interesting to know your detailed version number from your most recent activity log. Under the "Device and Install Info" section you will find lines similar to:

Evernote version: 8.x(yyyyyyy)
Evernote revision: 8.x_zzzz
Evernote type: public (or something else)

This information would help determine if your issue is related to @Bill Clarke 's problem.

I've added the info to the first post.

• Like 1

I had this problem. I fixed it in Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.

I tried clearing cache/storage from Android -> Apps -> Evernote, but this did not seem to work (not sure why).

Same problem for me. Android 9, EN 8.9, premium account. Not searching anymore. I unistall and reinstall and nothing. Same problem. If you leave serching trying to work for a long time the app crashes.

Only on android app. Windows app is working correctly.

Account Info
UserId: 
Email: 
Username: 
Business Context: false
Business Only Account: false
Legacy Business Account: false
Service: https://www.evernote.com
Auto Sync Enabled: true
Sync Interval: 3600000
Accessibility: 3

Device and Install Info
Brand: samsung
Model: SM-G9650
Product: star2qltezh
Display: 
Display Height: 2094
Display Density: 2.625
Android version: 9
Evernote version: 8.9(1082813)
Evernote revision: 8.9_2464
WebView version: 73.0.3683.90
Network operator: 72406 / Vivo
Locale: pt_BR
Arch: armv8l
Arch supported: [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Internal storage: 79 GB / 111 GB
External storage: 79 GB / 111 GB

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Vrykolas said:

I had this problem. I fixed it in Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.

I tried clearing cache/storage from Android -> Apps -> Evernote, but this did not seem to work (not sure why).

Yes!

I tried what you suggested, cleared local search history and cleared cache from within app settings and now it seems to work correctly!

Thanks a lot!

Here's the log from a Huawei P10 Lite on which search works without problems:

Auto Sync Enabled: false

Sync Interval: NOT SET
Accessibility: 0
ENML COUNT=28
RES COUNT=5

Device and Install Info
Brand: HUAWEI
Model: WAS-LX1
Product: WAS-LX1
Display: WAS-LX1 8.0.0.390(C432)
Display Height: 1794
Display Density: 3.0
Android version: 8.0.0
Evernote version: 8.8.1(1082393)
Evernote revision: 8.8.1_2445
Editor version Uno: 62.1.7520
Network operator: 26002 / T-Mobile.pl
Locale: pl_PL
Arch: armv7l
Arch supported: [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Internal storage: 9 GB / 22 GB
External storage: 9 GB / 22 GB

I opened a ticket with Evernote support. After 4 days, 9 emails and 3 different contact persons, evernote told me:

'We're currently aware of this issue and working on a fix that will be in an upcoming release. You'll receive an in-app message when the next update is available. Additionally, you can always select Help>Check for Updates.' 

Cheers

Alex

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Check this method suggested in another thread on this same problem:

This didn't work for me.

Please compare the two logs I provided. Clearly my girlfriend, for whom the search works, uses 8.8. I've got 8.9 even though I did not join beta!

• Level 5*

Weirdly,  my search has just stopped working - enter any word into the search box,  even one that I know is in a recent note,  and all I get is an endlessly circling arrow.  I'm still on 8.9_Beta3 and have tried the Search & Storage trick;  no result.  Hmmn.  :(

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Weirdly,  my search has just stopped working - enter any word into the search box,  even one that I know is in a recent note,  and all I get is an endlessly circling arrow.  I'm still on 8.9_Beta3 and have tried the Search & Storage trick;  no result.  Hmmn.  :(

Clearing cache etc doesn't work for me either. Do your saved searches work? 

58 minutes ago, Lexbrkly said:

Clearing cache etc doesn't work for me either. Do your saved searches work? 

In my case they don't work either. Interestingly typing and not pressing ENTER clearly returns note title matches just fine.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:43 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Since this problem seems to apply to users of the beta version, I'd suggest adding your voices to the report on it in the beta forum:

If it's a serious problem for you, it might be best to drop back from the 8.9 beta to the current released version, 8.8.

I have this problem as well and I've never participated in the beta program. Evernote forcing a beta or a quasi-beta versions on users in the Play store shouldn't count as a beta participation.

• Level 5*

Hmmn. Maybe that's why I thought my search was working before... Type a query and wait, and the hits turn up. Tap the magnifying glass and the hits disappear in favour of an endlessly circling green arrow. Use a saved search and there's a blue bar at the top of the screen that refreshes and refreshes... and then it's just a blank white screen... 

@gazumped

That's how it manifests, yes. Let's hope for a quick fix. At the sime time, I don't hold my breath. Some people called the bug "recent". It's barely recent on my install at least. Months rather than weeks.

I got used to Evernote's nonchalant apporach to CORE features misbehaving but the priority of this one multiplied by how long it's being allowed to dangle makes me think this is a new record.

I've just received yet another update. No fix.

Evernote version: 8.9(1082853)
Evernote revision: 8.9_2470

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Mirtma65 said:

I've unsubscribed from beta and search still doesn't work. Cleared apps cache, restarted device ... 

To clarify, in clearing the cache did you do this in the Evernote app itself? Settings > Search and Storage > Clear local search history & Clear cache was the procedure that was working for some people.

15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

To clarify, in clearing the cache did you do this in the Evernote app itself? Settings > Search and Storage > Clear local search history & Clear cache was the procedure that was working for some people.

Yes, that worked (for now). Text under "Clear Cache" in EN Android (Clear data stored on SD card ...) is misleading. I don't have an extra SD card in Note9.

• Like 1

Here we are again...

Just updated to new version by Play store (8.9(1082853) revision 2470) and the issue is there again, and even worse as now clearing local search history and cache from within app settings doesn't work anymore...

3 hours ago, Luca Ginatta said:

Here we are again...

Just updated to new version by Play store (8.9(1082853) revision 2470) and the issue is there again, and even worse as now clearing local search history and cache from within app settings doesn't work anymore...

Have you reviewed Evernote on the Play Store yet. I think it's high time...

• Like 1

Enough of this *****. I'm downgrading. Does anyone know of a download link for the 8.8.x APK within official Evernote domains? At the same time I'm going to try exporting an APK from my girlfriend's phone using [Apk Extractor from F-Droid. No ads, no tracking.] https://f-droid.org/en/packages/axp.tool.apkextractor/

A lesson for the future. Demand that the developeres post actual change logs. Developers - post change logs, do your #$^@! job!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Generally things might be changing for the better - have a look at @ObviousBob's thread here... 

We shall see. The past year was a freaking Windows Phone dejavu with constant problems with core features. I'll believe it when I see at least a glimpse of the promises materializing. Especially that the search hiatus might have been adressed by what is almost a "do nothing", i.e. by rolling back or not rolling out 8.9 for some users for whatever reason.

I've just downgraded to 8.8 from my girlfriend's phone and the search works fine.

• Like 1

For the past couple of weeks at least, when I search for text in my notes, the search screen returns nothing for a long time.  When it finally returns, I hadn't select the notes in the search results, the app appears to freeze and I have to close it.  

Is this the same issue others are reporting?

Having the same problems - search not working on Android. Search is working on Evernote for Web.

Cleared cache and search history - didn't solve the problem.

Also, my list of saved searches on Android has only 5 saved searches - it used to show all of my searches, with the same list as in Evernote for Windows and Evernote on the web.

Hope this problem is fixed SOON - very annoying.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you tried the standard sync/ uninstall/ restart/ reinstall?  And what version of Evernote are you running?  (See Settings / Support)  Mine is 8.9 and search works - provided you just type in the search term - don't tap anything else!

I'm having the same problem. Evernote in a web browser on my laptop works fine. On my Andoid phone, Evernote 8.9 the search does not work.

Sometimes I can make one search work if I run CCleaner but that only works once.  I'll have to do CCleaner again if I need Evernote search an hour later. That's odd because I have 2GB available on my internal memory and 8 GB free on my external SD card.

The "spinning" search indicator seems to show that it is searching for an item that matches, but it just keeps searching and searching. My phone is a Galaxy J7 Star SM-J737T running Android 8.0.0. 

Except it still takes a long time to search, possibly because the cache is cleared, and it is still freezing occasionally when I try to scroll through the search results.

I have cleared up some storage hoping that will help.

The problem with the search has nothing to do with any other platform. It's Android specific. So you may stop "cross-checking" it elsewhere. If Evernote support insists on you doing it anyway they are wasting your time.

• Level 5*
On 4/15/2019 at 10:11 PM, flwflw said:

Which thread are you referring to? Cant see it unfortunately.

Hmmn.  Have a look at the Evernote marketing webinar on Youtube here.  CEO Ian Small comments - after a little while - that he is only too aware of Evernote's frustrations,  and in fact before he became CEO he 'fired' Evernote as his note-taker of choice because of that.  He seems committed to fixing the frustrations,  soon* - which encouraged me,  anyways.

*I'm guessing for values of 'soon' greater than this week,  and (hopefully) less than next year...

I suspect it's the same issue, or at least related, but I have found that the widget I use to show saved search results is now showing me, "Couldn't load your list. It's probably just the Wi-Fi."

It's not the Wi-Fi. I checked. Restart, clear cache, etc. have not fixed it.

Playing around a bit, having the widget display a saved search that's relatively simple (e.g., just a single word) works fine. Asking it to show more advanced results (e.g., a saved search looking for particular tags, notebooks, etc.) does not.

I see that I received an update to the app early today. I usually don't pay attention to the version numbers unless there's a problem, but according to my log file, I'm currently on Evernote version 8.9(1082873), Evernote revision 8.9_2473.

I've submitted a ticket, so we'll see what comes back. I'm cautiously optimistic, given that folks have indicated Evernote responses saying that they're aware of search issues.

4 minutes ago, rimboma said:

I've noticed that another build of 8.9 has been released. Dated April 15th. Could anyone confirm whether this issue is still present?

That's the version I appear to have. There are still problems with search.

Hi,

I'm having the Android Evernote version 8.9 and I'm having the same problems -

Search not working on Android.

Search is working on Evernote for Web on PC (Windows 10).

Please help, without searching in Evernote is a MAJOR problem. 

Regards

I'm now using Evernote 8.9 for Android. The search is not working. I'm using Nixnote in Linux on my laptop as a way to back up my Evernote. Does anyone have a good Android app to migrate TO. I can stick with Evernote Android if the search doesn't work. 

When I search on "Migrate Evernote to" it mostly gives links about OneNote (Windows). That's not what I want.

How can Evernote not fix this hours after it's discovered? This sort of problem is so fundamental, they should do a code rollback to the previous version. In the meantime they're releasing dark mode improvements?!

Evernote: why?!

• Like 2

Non-beta Evernote, but search is broken for me as well. I get suggestions while typing in the search query, but after submission, the green circulating animation just spins indefinitely with no results. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot_2019-04-20-06-01-44-672_com.evernote.thumb.png.793abf2c4faedb3ffc040ed97ef7455d.png

Same problem - unable to search for any item. Automatically updated from Google Play on two Android devices (Oneplus and Lenovo tablet). Both are on EN version 8.9(1082873). Prior to update, searching on both devices was working fine.

Reported problem to EN support and sent them log files.

To make the situation worse, I am unable to access EN from an Android browser - message "Sorry, Evernote Web is not supported on Android browsers". So in essence, current EN on Android is not usable at all for anything but data entry.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, mz123 said:

How can Evernote not fix this hours after it's discovered? This sort of problem is so fundamental, they should do a code rollback to the previous version. In the meantime they're releasing dark mode improvements?!

Evernote: why?!

Because someone is trying hard to be the next big "£+ck core features" fireball after Windows Phone :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, AndreasM said:

An Issue dragging for almost a month requires a ticket, really?????

How  are whining BS  posts working????????

>>I will open a ticket to cancel my subscription, yes.

No ticket required.  Update your account settings for the automatic renewal

• Level 5
4 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Moderators, Gurus where are you if needed.!!!!!

The Android v 8.9 is not working now for almost a month. EN it is a BS.

Your are forcing us to update to a non-working versions, what a BS.

All the time I was careful not to automatically update, one time I skip it and here you go, I got infected with EN, What a  BS. And as usual EN is silent, no response. Go to hell.

I am a paid subscriber and I want my money back. It happened before, enough of the BS.

I will avoid the sarcasm that rushes to mind, and simply try to speak directly. Andreas, this is your usual unfriendly and unhelpful contribution here. What would happen if someone would flag your post as a violation of the forum's terms of conduct, which it certainly is? Would you flame them as well?

The search issue is certainly a terrible problem. For myself, I've been updating EN Android regularly and not encountering any problems. But I'm trying to avoid this one until they get it fixed. I don't know why they haven't fixed it yet; I too think it is getting ridiculous; and I too am disappointed that no Evernote staff have commented on the various threads that exist about the problem. But while vile language and shouting tirades can get someone elected president of the country I live in, I don't think it works yet for getting software fixed.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you, my model is a Galaxy Note5. It is very frustrating to invest money, time and mainly trust in an application to later have headache with it. I've already tried switching from Evernote to OneNote and also to Google keep but both can still be worse than Evernote. Google keep is very simple, has no way to relate notes and not even an easy way to capture information. OneNote only works well on a computer, on the tablet and smartphone it is very slow to sync and has a poor search. The good news is that the two are getting better over time.

• Level 5*
On 3/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Do you Android users have a choice in downgrading to a previous version?

I can install any version on my Mac, but in IOS we can't downgrade.

The solution suggested earlier in this thread worked for me:

Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.

However, the next day, the problem returned. Ran the same fix and search worked again.

Are others experiencing the same thing? Are you having to run the fix every time you you restart the phone? Or does it have to do with every time the app syncs? Trying to identift the variables here. 

2 horas atrás, DrFrankBuck disse:

Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.

However, the next day, the problem returned. Ran the same fix and search worked again.

Are others experiencing the same thing? Are you having to run the fix every time you you restart the phone? Or does it have to do with every time the app syncs? Trying to identift the variables here. 

For me this solution didn’t work at all.

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Do you Android users have a choice in downgrading to a previous version?

I can install any version on my Mac, but in IOS we can't downgrade.

Yes, you can downgrade. First you need deinstall v 8.9 and then install 8.8.1. I found 8.8.1 here: https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

Once installed, remember to turn off auto update from Google Play store otherwise it will be updated again with 8.9.

• Thanks 1
16 minutos atrás, khy disse:

Yes, you can downgrade. First you need deinstall v 8.9 and then install 8.8.1. I found 8.8.1 here: https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

Once installed, remember to turn off auto update from Google Play store otherwise it will be updated again with 8.9.

Wonder, it seems that worked perfectly, the only problem is that I do not know when I can do the update. Thank you Khy.

1 hour ago, khy said:

Most will tell you not to install apps from third party sites, as they may contain malware. 

Evernote should make a downgrade (or an upgrade with the old code) available. There really is not excuse for this.

Evernote made a video where they talked about customer focus. Letting this issue continue for so long without any resolution is very anti-customer.

• Like 2

The choice to downgrade or not is totally up to you. I wish EN did not release this defective version but these things happen however much we dislike it.

Personally, for me, the missing functionality was too much as I use the search function daily. I took the pragmatic way forward - downgrade,  notified EN on the defect and wait for a next release. The more people that notify EN, the more likely it will be fixed sooner.

21 hours ago, DrFrankBuck said:

It didn't work at all in my case. You can find all the details in the topic I started

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/119564-search-doesnt-work/

On 4/13/2019 at 11:50 AM, rimboma said:

Have you reviewed Evernote on the Play Store yet. I think it's high time...

Six years ago I gave them a 5 star review. Since then, I've updated the review each year. Any year that included one or more long-standing, reported and well-documented bugs, I deducted a star from my review, and wrote about the problem in the review. I am now at 1 star, been there since last year.

What's worse: at least 1/3 of these bugs are regressions -- by which I man a bug that occurred in a feature that as working fine in the previous version, a bug that could have been solved by simply rolling back the change(s) in the relevant code section(s) so that the feature resumes working again. Any team with basic source control and non-spaghetti code can easily do this. Plus, they should be doing regression testing, so that when a change causes a previously identified bug to re-occur, the team spots that right away instead of waiting for users to leave/complain. <insert broken record emoji>

Edited by John in Michigan USA
contents of quoted section not displaying!
  • Like 3
On 4/9/2019 at 12:36 PM, rimboma said:

I get only the "recycle" circle arrow (see the attached image) and nothing else while she gets a proper magnifying glass icon with a complete message "No notes have been found" or something like that.

When I want to find a note, I begin typing, and if something shows up below the "Refine Your Search" bar such as a tag I've used or the title of a note, I can get to that and it works well. But just plain old typing in the search bar, which I guess is a "full text search" or "search all text", that doesn't work. I get the dreaded "recycle" circle arrow.

-----

I tried using Evernote in Firefox on my Android phone. Apparently Evernote blocks that. Why?

Screenshot-20190420-141758-Chrome.jpg

-----

Searches that worked, and full text search failed

Screenshot-20190422-141826-Evernote.jpg Screenshot-20190422-141406-Evernote.jpg

Failed-full-text-search-20190422-141835-

• Like 1
On 4/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, gadgetfan said:

I see that I received an update to the app early today. I usually don't pay attention to the version numbers unless there's a problem, but according to my log file, I'm currently on Evernote version 8.9(1082873), Evernote revision 8.9_2473.'ve submitted a ticket, so we'll see what comes back. I'm cautiously optimistic, given that folks have indicated Evernote responses saying that they're aware of search issues.

I'm also on Evernote 8.9 and having problems with search.

1 hour ago, webmanoffesto said:

I tried using Evernote in Firefox on my Android phone. Apparently Evernote blocks that. Why?

It's not about blocking per se. Evernote Web is not intended for mobile web browsers.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, webmanoffesto said:

Evernote Web is created for desktop web browsers.
There is no optimization for mobile web browsers; this is usually required for things like screen size

Your device is requesting the mobile web page.  It is possible to switch to the desktop web page
My process in IOS is described here  

This is pretty serious. Searches were working on my Nexus 6P and Pixel 2 XL. I deactivated my 6P and got another Pixel 2 XL, and searches are impossibly slow. I emailed about this yesterday, I believe, but I have not yet heard back.  Not sure if those issues cropped up on the 6P before its deactivation, as I used it infrequently for Evernote.

I'm also not happy with the UI/UX changes in the desktop browser i.e. only running in Chrome, look and feel changes that are only marginally better than before. Wondering what's up here.

In my case, the search appears to be working on my Android phones, but it's very slow. Search results that seem instantaneous on the desktop app or in the browser take almost a minute on the phones. Ostensibly this data is indexed at the back-end (at evernote), and should not be so slow.  Still hoping for some kind of response from evernote; so far nothing.

And I have no idea how to prevent the app from updating, sorry to say.