35 minutos atrás, webmanoffesto disse:

I found older APK's at

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-8-1-release

How do I prevent Evernote from automatically updating.

Locate the application in the store, there you will see the option to disable the automatic update. Although my system is in Brazilian Portuguese I believe you will understand the image.

Screenshot_20190423-110902.jpg

EDIT!  Nah. It broke again.

Leaving my post below for historical purposes, but I am losing patience.

Meanwhile they replied that yes they are aware of the problem (DOES ANYONE THERE TEST THIS STUFF BEFORE SENDING IT OUT INTO THE WILD?), and have advised me to install an earlier version.

Oh, Joy. And here they are trying to ram an upgrade to the next level down my throat. 

ALL of us paying customers deserve a year of free service, starting AFTER this mess is fixed.

POSSIBLE FIX:

First of all, in my current Android version of evernote, I don't see an option to disable updates.

Next, I seem to have fixed the problem by either clearing the cache and/or clearing the search history.

Settings (then scroll down) / Search and Storage / Clear cache + (maybe needed but no big deal if it is) Clear local search history

Interesting because uninstalling and re-installing evernote did not correct the issue, while this apparently has.  

On my 2nd 2 XL, it didn't work for a couple of tries, or maybe I needed to wait some time after clearing cache(s) for the fix to work. Seems OK for now.

But (of course) evernote should be more responsive to support tickets, and provide this info. I did not know the setting was there. Clearing cache under the Android menus did not seem to help.

This has been an enormous waste of my time.

Edited by pjbeee
Sad update to original post
  • Level 5
21 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

What's worse: at least 1/3 of these bugs are regressions -- by which I man a bug that occurred in a feature that as working fine in the previous version, a bug that could have been solved by simply rolling back the change(s) in the relevant code section(s) so that the feature resumes working again. Any team with basic source control and non-spaghetti code can easily do this. Plus, they should be doing regression testing, so that when a change causes a previously identified bug to re-occur, the team spots that right away instead of waiting for users to leave/complain.

I pretty much agree with this premise. Certainly there ought to be testing to make sure that something that worked doesn't get broken (I almost typed "borken"), especially something so basic as searching. However, I'm not sure that rolling back changes in code sections is as simple as it might seem. My understanding (from way outside the loop) is that Evernote is giving the editor in the Android app and on all platforms a deep revision. They've also had to deal with changes to the Chromium they're building on (I think). So it may be that there simply is no going back, only forward. That said, there's still no excuse for "going forward" by falling on their face.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I pretty much agree with this premise. Certainly there ought to be testing to make sure that something that worked doesn't get broken (I almost typed "borken"), especially something so basic as searching. However, I'm not sure that rolling back changes in code sections is as simple as it might seem. My understanding (from way outside the loop) is that Evernote is giving the editor in the Android app and on all platforms a deep revision. They've also had to deal with changes to the Chromium they're building on (I think). So it may be that there simply is no going back, only forward. That said, there's still no excuse for "going forward" by falling on their face.

With a bug this serious, Evernote should have rolled back code in its entirety to the previous version 1 hour after discovering the bug, in my opinion. If one uses Evernote as it was intended, designed, and marketed, it's simply unusable without a functioning search. One can't use a second brain if one has no idea how to find anything in it.

• Like 4

Evernote app search function on my Android on Samsung 7 is not working. I have un-installed and re-installed the Evernote app a couple of times but the problem remains. Any suggestions, please? I only use my phone Evernote app so this is a real concern from me. Thank you for your help.

1 hora atrás, hsn333 disse:

Evernote app search function on my Android on Samsung 7 is not working. I have un-installed and re-installed the Evernote app a couple of times but the problem remains. Any suggestions, please? I only use my phone Evernote app so this is a real concern from me. Thank you for your help.

Uninstall Evernote and install the previous version that is in this linkhttps://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

在 2019/4/20 在 AM6點23分, mmmaak說:

Non-beta Evernote, but search is broken for me as well. I get suggestions while typing in the search query, but after submission, the green circulating animation just spins indefinitely with no results. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot_2019-04-20-06-01-44-672_com.evernote.thumb.png.793abf2c4faedb3ffc040ed97ef7455d.png

I have the same issue of search feature here.

The OS is Android 8 and the phone model is Samsung Note 8.

This search feature does not work already two versions.

It does not matter in iOS in the iPad.

Wish Evernote can solve this problem.

• Like 1

Android version: 7, Rom name: Superman-Rom, Rom Date: 23.12.17

Edit: My current version in evernote App under Settings / Support displays "current version is 8.9"

This has been happening for about 2 weeks and today I decided to reinstall Evernote app and is still not working

I have seen a similar problem in this topic with no apparently solution and I am not sure that is the same problem: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/119365-search-not-working/

I type any search and a circle starts spinning like searching but that goes forever.

Also, In the left menu, the syncing animation that displays a circle of 2 arrows running clockwise is displaying "OFFLINE SEARCH INDEXING"

The main purpose of evernote is to search and if it does not search what is the point of having it.

I went to the web and in the web works fine, and in the Windows desktop platform also works fine.

Thanks for any hint to solve this big problem.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi.  When you search,  do you tap the magnifying glass icon to start the search?  Try entering search terms and NOT tapping the icon - in my Android,  the hits start to appear after a few seconds.  Not sure why that's the case,  but search works - just don't tap the icon!  :unsure:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, pjbeee said:

Just followed that advice and installed the previous version. Seems OK so far.

Not a happy dude.

I did the same.

On my phone I went to Google Play, went to Evernote, and checked "no auto updates".

Then I uninstalled Evernote.

Using my phone I downloaded the app at https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

I clicked to open. I had to allow "installations from this source".

I opened the app and entered my login details. It synced. And now I have full-text search back.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pjbeee said:

Evernote's handling of this has been just awful. It feels as if we hardly matter to them. 

I have to agree too. They broke the search in a note keeping app and just don't seem to care that one of the most important features of such an app is now unusable.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying. How do I enter words without taping the icon? 

edit: I have some saved searches shortcuts that when I press it shows results really fast but, is this means that I have to add any word I want to search in the form of a shortcut?

Edited by exceles
The shorcuts works

Search functionality on my Android (Samsung Galaxy 8+) has completely stopped working. Just a spinning circle. And when I conduct a search, go back to all notes, and search again, I get a completely blank screen. This is not good. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, exceles said:

Android version: 7, Rom name: Superman-Rom, Rom Date: 23.12.17

Edit: My current version in evernote App under Settings / Support displays "current version is 8.9"

This has been happening for about 2 weeks and today I decided to reinstall Evernote app and is still not working

I have seen a similar problem in this topic with no apparently solution and I am not sure that is the same problem: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/119365-search-not-working/

I type any search and a circle starts spinning like searching but that goes forever.

Also, In the left menu, the syncing animation that displays a circle of 2 arrows running clockwise is displaying "OFFLINE SEARCH INDEXING"

The main purpose of evernote is to search and if it does not search what is the point of having it.

I went to the web and in the web works fine, and in the Windows desktop platform also works fine.

Thanks for any hint to solve this big problem.

Having the exact same problem??? This is not good.

• Like 1
38 minutos atrás, Thomas K disse:

Search functionality on my Android (Samsung Galaxy 8+) has completely stopped working. Just a spinning circle. And when I conduct a search, go back to all notes, and search again, I get a completely blank screen. This is not good. 

Try to go back to the previous version, with me it worked. You can find instructions on how to do this through the above posts.

BTW all of this has the appearance of a programmer or group of programmers holding back code / holding the company hostage. Or some kind of management gap. Why else would you see this kind of behavior?

"Stupidity" alone doesn't quite feel right as an explanation.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, exceles said:

How do I enter words without taping the icon?

Sorry - should have explained more clearly.

When you're using the Android app,  you do tap the magnifying glass icon to open the search page.

Type your query in the search box.  DO NOT tap further to start the search - I have a magnifying glass icon on my keyboard which I tended to tap like a 'return' key.  This just generates a spinning arrow.

Your search hits should start soon after you finish typing.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

Try to go back to the previous version, with me it worked. You can find instructions on how to do this through the above posts.

Yes of course, this is the solution. You just have to allow to install apks from third party sites, where at this point Google urges you very strongly to reconsider, cause this is very often a very bad idea. And after this your have to switch off auto-updates for every app on your phone, which will also include not installing security relevant fixes, cause EN is not able to get its act together. Yes, that sounds about the right thing to do.

For me the most incomprehensible thing with this bug BTW is for me not the bug itself - bugs can happen. It is not even that they did not revert to an earlier version, cause I really don't know about the intricacies of the Google App Store (if you look at the troubles with the actual Windows Beta of EN then sometimes there is more in the background going on then we know). No, if you look at the first post in this thread, then you will realize that EN knew about this bug through its voluntary beta-testers all along, and they released it anyway.

This reminds me of MS, who were told bei their beta-testers that this Window release sometimes deletes all your data (which an OS really shouldn't do), and they too released it anyway. Somewhere in the management of EN somebody said "what the heck, we'll just release it, hardly nobody will notice". That our note-keeping app is unable to search for notes anymore.

• Like 1

I would not say it's the right thing to do, it's what we users find as a palliative solution until Evernote does the right thing, fix this bugs. If I found a better application I would migrate immediately, but unfortunately it does not exist, at least for me. I have no loyalty to a company that seems do not care about your users.

3 hours ago, Wux said:

And after this your have to switch off auto-updates for every app on your phone, which will also include not installing security relevant fixes, cause EN is not able to get its act together.

I shut off auto-updates ONLY for Evernote.

• Like 1

Ok, I tap magnifying glass, enter the word and not pressing any search button does not automatically show the full search results. Only displays a list of notes where the word is included in the title, so I guess it only works for title search.

As an example, writing [amigo] shows 18 results and to get this same result in windows desk the equivalent search is [intitle:amigo*] but writing [amigo] should throw out  466 results instead of 18.

Edited by exceles
but writing [amigo] should throw out 466 results instead of 18.

@webmanoffesto..  Thanks for the suggestion. I generally know my way around Android but I clearly don't know it all, so I looked it up.

HERE is how to disable auto-update for a particular app, and assuming that auto-update for all apps is already turned on:

1. In the Play Store, search for your app, and have it on your screen.

2. Touch the 3 vertical dots at top right.

3. Un-check Enable auto update.

That's supposed to do it.

Now, WHY Evernote would not make all of this totally clear to all remains a mystery. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wux said:

Yes of course, this is the solution. You just have to allow to install apks from third party sites, where at this point Google urges you very strongly to reconsider, cause this is very often a very bad idea. And after this your have to switch off auto-updates for every app on your phone, which will also include not installing security relevant fixes, cause EN is not able to get its act together. Yes, that sounds about the right thing to do.

For me the most incomprehensible thing with this bug BTW is for me not the bug itself - bugs can happen. It is not even that they did not revert to an earlier version, cause I really don't know about the intricacies of the Google App Store (if you look at the troubles with the actual Windows Beta of EN then sometimes there is more in the background going on then we know). No, if you look at the first post in this thread, then you will realize that EN knew about this bug through its voluntary beta-testers all along, and they released it anyway.

This reminds me of MS, who were told bei their beta-testers that this Window release sometimes deletes all your data (which an OS really shouldn't do), and they too released it anyway. Somewhere in the management of EN somebody said "what the heck, we'll just release it, hardly nobody will notice". That our note-keeping app is unable to search for notes anymore.

Thanks, Wux! EN could have done a few things. How about sending an email to all Android users with the temporary fix info? How about releasing an "update" to the Play Store that simply reverts to the previous build, and again sending an email to all Android users with a link to the (broken) newer version, if they really want it? How about being more responsive when folks are struggling with this search issue and reporting it to EN over and over? So yes, bugs happen - we are aware of this. How it's handled can make a huge difference. 

• Like 2

I too have this ridiculous problem, but here is my workaround.

I am able to "search" for notes by using the Tags.  On the Tags screen, hold down on a tag to select it.  Then click on any other tags to add to the tag to the list.  Once you have your tags selected, click on VIEW NOTES in the upper right.

This gives you a view of only the notes that have the matching tags. 👍

16 minutes ago, robanero said:

I too have this ridiculous problem, but here is my workaround.

I am able to "search" for notes by using the Tags.  On the Tags screen, hold down on a tag to select it.  Then click on any other tags to add to the tag to the list.  Once you have your tags selected, click on VIEW NOTES in the upper right.

This gives you a view of only the notes that have the matching tags. 👍

Yes but with this we both are rather old school. I have my notes structured in a lot of thematically ordered notebook stacks / notebooks, so I do find my notes if I remember in which notebook they should be. And I have a tight tag structure, so I do find them through this also. But it is a nuisance.

The kids from today, they just throw everything on a big heap and let Google Evernote do the search for them. Since computers have become quite good at searching this is a rather efficient method. Until somebody decides to break the search feature for good of course.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

YMMV,  but I'm looking at notes with highlighted content.  I just typed "accord" for instance and got several hits - some titles,  but also this...

screenshot_20190425-175522.thumb.png.87ddb3ccfa5579b42da3ae9cb9538607.png

- which does not have that word in the title...

• Thanks 1

It does appear to be since the last update.

It doesn't always show the previous search list. It also takes longer to search.  And the app can freeze for a few seconds on the search results but it does finally respond.

I can wait for a fix in the next update.  I'm on 8.9 basic version.  

Hello, I have a P20 lite Android phone and I have the exact same issue

I tried to:

• Reinstall the app
  • Clear the search cache (Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.)

None of the above worked. Is there any way I can help support to investigate this issue and fix it?
I use the function daily, now I almost can't use the product

Thank you

@mottalrd: you should find the instructions above to install a previous version of Evernote, and prevent it from updating. Will try and post the steps here later, but they are detailed above. 

Tip for those returning to an earlier version - make sure to follow this thread and/or check into the forum periodically so that you will know when a new version of EN with search working is released. You can then turn the automatic update back on.

OK quick fix here - re-copied and edited from earlier in this topic:

Link to older version:

https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

For this, download the apk and tell Android to install from this "unknown source." Different Android devices/versions may do this differently, so you're pretty much on your own.

And HERE is how to disable auto-update for EN, and assuming that auto-update for all apps is already turned on:

1. In the Play Store, search for Evernote, and have its Play Store page on your screen.

2. Touch the 3 vertical dots at top right.

3. Un-check Enable auto update.

That's supposed to do it.

Note that if you go into the Play Store and select My apps & games, EN will still come up as an update choice. Be sure to not select "UPDATE ALL," and only pick the stuff you want updated. If you don't go there "manually" if auto-update for all apps is on, EN should still not auto-update.

• Like 2

well, its a major inconvenience having this issue going on for so long. guess its time to start up a google keep notes. Evernote please get back to the core and keep that working before trying to appease people who may or may not ever use your service.

• Like 2

I am using the latest Android Beta of Evernote (8.9, released April 15, 2019). My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8+ 64GB. Since the last update, I have been unable to successfully perform ANY search. Each one times out, or I have to force the app closed. I did uninstall and re-install, and this did not resolve anything. I am still able to use all search types from my desktop, and from the web. 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:51 AM, machx said:

I am using the latest Android Beta of Evernote (8.9, released April 15, 2019). My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8+ 64GB. Since the last update, I have been unable to successfully perform ANY search. Each one times out, or I have to force the app closed. I did uninstall and re-install, and this did not resolve anything. I am still able to use all search types from my desktop, and from the web. 

I had the same issues. Scroll up for link to instructions to install previous version - 8.8.1 I believe. I don't think I was running a beta, but the latest production version. Good luck. Previous version now working well on Pixel 2 XL rooted (stock kernel) AND non-rooted (stock) phones. 

Hello everyone,

I'm a first-time poster, but a long-time user of EN on Windows, MacOS and Android.

Just to add my voice to everyone's else, I too am experiencing search issues with EN on Android. I'm on v1.9. I cleared the Local Search History and the Cache, and Search seems to be working for me at the moment, but I'm keeping a close eye on things.

It's worrying that such a fundamental issue has found its way into the production version of the app, and that a fix has yet to arrive.

I hope Mr. Small is able to drive through the urgent and dramatic improvements EN so desperately needs.

Something is going on at "Evernote Central" and it doesn't feel very good from this end. A cause for concern, to be sure! 

The issue could be caused by some embedded library, as many are having quite similar issues with the NY Times app. Nonetheless, Evernote should be more forthcoming about these things - we are being kept mostly in the dark here.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Rob van Vliet said:

Same issue with 8.9 on all Android devices I own. Issued support ticket. Very curious why Evernote does not seem to be able to solve this adequately. 

Response (names removed):

Hello there Name,

Thank for bringing this to our attention. We are currently aware of this issue, and although I don't have an estimated date of when it will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it as soon as possible.

If you would like to roll back to a previous version of Evernote that did not contain this issue, please follow the below steps:

Before uninstalling Evernote for Android, make sure to copy the contents of any unsynced notes somewhere outside of the Evernote app. Any unsynced notes (notes marked by red/green corners) and photos are deleted when you reinstall the app. To save any unsynced photos to your Gallery, tap the options menu (three dots) and select Save to Downloads.

Then follow these steps:

1. Open the Play Store
  2. Search for Evernote, choose it, then tap Uninstall
  3. Restart your Android device

Once Evernote has been uninstalled, please click on this link to download version 8.8.1.

If you can't use the version from the previous link, then try this link.

Please know that by going back a version, you will be exposed to some bugs we fixed already, the most noticeable of them being not able to login to your Evernote account in more than one Android device at the same time if you use two factor authentication.

For now, I will close this ticket, but if you have any other questions please reach out to me and I'll be more than happy to help.

Best,

Name.
Customer Support Representative

• Like 2

@Nick L. I'm having the same problem everyone else is having - green spinning wheel / search not working - on my new Samsung S10. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Evernote and it worked once or twice but now is back to the same problem. Did anyone at Evernote ever fix this? I use Evernote nonstop for work and am going on a trip next week. I need this functioning or I'm going to look for a better product somewhere else. Thanks

• Like 1

Look further up in this thread for my instructions on how to downgrade to 8.1.1 AND keep Android from updating Evernote to a later version.

It's worse than silly that this issue is now going on for weeks. 

YMMV of course

18 hours ago, kimbro said:

@Nick L. I'm having the same problem everyone else is having - green spinning wheel / search not working - on my new Samsung S10. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Evernote and it worked once or twice but now is back to the same problem. Did anyone at Evernote ever fix this? I use Evernote nonstop for work and am going on a trip next week. I need this functioning or I'm going to look for a better product somewhere else. Thanks

We're working on a fix right now and want to have it out as an app update as soon as possible.  You can try regressing to version 8.8.1 for now by downloading it from here

To Evernote support crew:

We miss that Evernote support comes with an announcement whether they have found a solution and when we can expect the problem solved.  

Can we get a status message?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nick L. said:

We're working on a fix right now and want to have it out as an app update as soon as possible.  You can try regressing to version 8.8.1 for now by downloading it from here

The app was not installed.  The package seems to be damaged 😯

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.8.1.1082390.allArch.5165.apk

The package might not be damaged. You will need to uninstall the current version, and allow installation of the .apk as an "unknown source." Different Android versions do this in different ways. 

• Like 1

Having done all things IT for many years, it is disheartening not only that this is going on for so long (and making mobile access unusable), but that the official answer is "install this app from a rando third party site / AWS Dropbox, then enter the password that rules your life". 

Is it legitimate? Most likely. Is it sketchy when messing with your most critical data? Yep.

Did someone figure out how we will be notified when we can reinstall from the Play store?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Presumably, since there is a quasi-public announcement that Evernote is aware of the problem and working on it, there will be a FULL public announcement when a version is released and the bug is fixed, so that those who went to an earlier version (which now includes me) will know that they can safely update.

At least, that's the MINIMUM one would expect at this point. 

On 4/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, jegrinster@gmail.com said:

Hi there

My search feature of evernote has stopped working on both of my samsung android phones-samsung S7 edge and Samsung note 9.  The search just hangs in an endless loop. Does anyone else have this issue?

Judy

Yes. Everyone :) Here's a dirty workaround and your only option:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/119365-search-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=536738Don't waste your time with "proper troubleshooting". Re-installing the app from Play Store, clearing cache and what not - it simply won't work.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 both are on 8.9 Evernote. Since the update, searches don't work (or I give up after 2 minutes and exit the app because it's so slow.) Notes load very slowly also. It's unusable for all practical purposes. I've been an Evernote user for 8 or 9 years and am paying for Evernote Plus. Will not renew unless this issue is fixed.

• Like 1

I'm having problems with search on current Evernote version for Android, 8.9. Went on chat these days and they send me the step by step provided in this thread, to downgrade to previous version after uninstalling it through Google Play Store, and installing an APK through their link.

They say they recommend this downgrade since the new version has bugs. I'm not comfortable with installing APKs in my phone because I don't know how they work on the system. Or would it be ok to do it? They say it's not harmful and that I can later update it through Google Play Store when a fixed release is available.

Downgrade to 8.8.1 works fine for me, so don't worry about that. Hope it works for you. Remember to disable auto-update for the app and remember to not tap "update" for the app if you're in the play store and it asks you to.

Totally shocking that they haven't fixed this yet.

It is clear that Evernotes focus is elsewhere and Android subscribers are suffering. I received a link to become try the new windows app which I followed the link to and downloaded only to be told that I cannot join the beta as I have been using Evernote since before 2017???? What we should do as a collective is to cancel our premium subscription until the problem is resolved. Would be interested to see how many users would do this? 

Yes, that's really shocking since it is one of the primary functions of EN. I've took some time until I discovered it wasn't a connection issue, and I lost a lot of time waiting for a search result until I finally saw those reports in here. I'll downgrade soon.

Important to mention, perhaps, that I tried first to reinstall the current version, and while it was still syncing, after installing, the search works, but after sync completes it is gone for good. 

2 minutos atrás, johnfrew2104 disse:

It is clear that Evernotes focus is elsewhere and Android subscribers are suffering. I received a link to become try the new windows app which I followed the link to and downloaded only to be told that I cannot join the beta as I have been using Evernote since before 2017???? What we should do as a collective is to cancel our premium subscription until the problem is resolved. Would be interested to see how many users would do this? 

I tried to get a refund based on the problem, until it gets fixed, but they said it is not possible because of their terms. Unfortunately I can't unsubscribe because of the storage and browsing PDFs, but it would be a kind gesture, to compensate users somehow.

4 horas atrás, pjbassing disse:

Until latest update, search nearly instantaneous.  Now circular arrow keeps spinning, and spinning, and spinning...

Yes, they are lightning fast in 8.8. I made the downgrade and now I'm back in Paradise. Let's see if they work quick on a fix so we can all finally update.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, pjbeee said:

Look further up in this thread for my instructions on how to downgrade to 8.1.1 AND keep Android from updating Evernote to a later version.

It's worse than silly that this issue is now going on for weeks. 

YMMV of course

Wanted to give a diff view of Evernote's response to this bug. I got a message back from Evernote support, within a few hours of emailing them, and had a workable solution until they do release a bug fix. I have used Evernote since 2008 and my whole life is in it, so I was pretty put out by the lack of searchability on my phone.  I followed the support email steps to revert to the prior apk, and regained full functionality. 

Based on your comments about cause for concern, that users are kept in the dark, and that it is silly this search bug has gone on for weeks,  I wanted to let you know my experience contacting Evernote, and to share info about the software lifecycle.....I am a software engineer, so I live the pressured life of building apps, fixing bugs, writing bugs on accident, and deadlines. I do not work for Evernote, and I hope I don't sound preachy; really sorry if I do....I just wanted to give a different side, so people can know why bug fixes and updates are not instant.
My perspective on the 8.9 release breaking a very important feature, followed by the company giving workaround instructions and not rapidly pushing another (fix) release: 
  1. I am happy that Evernote improves this app often, I love updating, then looking for improved and added features. Evernote releases updates more than other apps, and this I see as a benefit. Each software release can include weird behavioral quirks on a new feature, or a previous feature could be changed unintentionally by the introduced source code. I think we get more cool tools in their updates, than flaws. If they slowed release cycle to do buttloads more regression testing, or slowed new features to try to stop all bugs (not possible), the tool would not be nearly as good.
  2. It is true an update to fix the search bug hasn't happened in weeks. Deploying a re-release that quickly would be amazing, it would require business analysts, developers, QA, and dev ops with unplanned man hours just laying around. The design, planning, troubleshooting, coding, testing, approvals, and deployment that go into a software fix/release are intentional (we hope) and take time plus sometimes devs like to go home after a long day of code and meetings. I'm so so sorry if I'm whining......I just bet people don't know what goes into making and editing software. 

Here is the support response I received in my email:
Jasmin P. (Evernote Help and Learning)
Apr 29, 00:57 PDT
Hello there,
Thank you so much for reaching out to Evernote Customer Support, and for taking the time to send us an email.
My name is Jasmin, and I'm more than willing to assist you. Thank for bringing this to our attention. We are currently aware of this issue, and although I don't have an estimated date of when it will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it as soon as possible.
If you would like to roll back to a previous version of Evernote that did not contain this issue, please follow the below steps:
Before uninstalling Evernote for Android, make sure to copy the contents of any unsynced notes somewhere outside of the Evernote app. Any unsynced notes (notes marked by red/green corners) and photos are deleted when you reinstall the app. To save any unsynced photos to your Gallery, tap the options menu (three dots) and select Save to Downloads.
Then follow these steps:
  1. Open the Play Store
  2. Search for Evernote, choose it, then tap Uninstall
  3. Restart your Android device
Once Evernote has been uninstalled, please click on this link to download version 8.8.1.
If you can't use the version from the previous link, then try this link.
Please know that by going back a version, you will be exposed to some bugs we fixed already, the most noticeable of them being not able to login to your Evernote account in more than one Android device at the same time if you use two factor authentication.
For now, I will close this ticket, but if you have any other questions please reach out to me and I'll be more than happy to help. Have a great day ahead!
Sincerely,
Jasmin P.
Evernote Customer Support Representative

image.gif

• Like 1
8 hours ago, machx said:
 Wanted to give a diff view of Evernote's response to this bug. I got a message back from Evernote support, within a few hours of emailing them, and had a workable solution until they do release a bug fix. I have used Evernote since 2008 and my whole life is in it, so I was pretty put out by the lack of searchability on my phone.  I followed the support email steps to revert to the prior apk, and regained full functionality. 

Based on your comments about cause for concern, that users are kept in the dark, and that it is silly this search bug has gone on for weeks,  I wanted to let you know my experience contacting Evernote, and to share info about the software lifecycle.....I am a software engineer, so I live the pressured life of building apps, fixing bugs, writing bugs on accident, and deadlines. I do not work for Evernote, and I hope I don't sound preachy; really sorry if I do....I just wanted to give a different side, so people can know why bug fixes and updates are not instant.
My perspective on the 8.9 release breaking a very important feature, followed by the company giving workaround instructions and not rapidly pushing another (fix) release: 
  1. I am happy that Evernote improves this app often, I love updating, then looking for improved and added features. Evernote releases updates more than other apps, and this I see as a benefit. Each software release can include weird behavioral quirks on a new feature, or a previous feature could be changed unintentionally by the introduced source code. I think we get more cool tools in their updates, than flaws. If they slowed release cycle to do buttloads more regression testing, or slowed new features to try to stop all bugs (not possible), the tool would not be nearly as good.
  2. It is true an update to fix the search bug hasn't happened in weeks. Deploying a re-release that quickly would be amazing, it would require business analysts, developers, QA, and dev ops with unplanned man hours just laying around. The design, planning, troubleshooting, coding, testing, approvals, and deployment that go into a software fix/release are intentional (we hope) and take time plus sometimes devs like to go home after a long day of code and meetings. I'm so so sorry if I'm whining......I just bet people don't know what goes into making and editing software. 

image.gif

Some counterpoints to your response:

1. I suspect you were slower to ask for help. I asked for help, and over a week went by before I received a reply like you did. I suffered with the bug for 2 weeks in disbelief that it was taking so long for Evernote to act, then waited another week after contacting support before this solution was offered.

2. The path to get to this workaround was painful. I was first offered no solution ("we're working on a fix"). After repeatedly asking for a previous version's APK or a refund, I was eventually offered links to a third-party APK download site by an Evernote employee!

3. I understand software development too. Reverting to a previously released version immediately was (and still is!) the best solution. After all, support is offering exactly that to users. Within hours of discovering this bug and understanding its impact, Evernote could have simply re-released the previous APK as the next update. They still can, and should. They can then work on implementing a bug fix into the next release version at their leisure. I understand that new release development requires testing, etc. However, a re-release is not the same. Reverting code to a previous version is technically simple, and requires no additional development or testing. It's simply like an undo-change. Put another way, it's like simply delaying a release further, or pulling an unauthorized release. It doesn't require business analysis, QA, or dev ops, in more than a trivial way.

There is no excuse for Evernote eliminating a mission-critical feature from what is arguably their most important platform, for an entire month (and counting). I don't care how much they innovate their software, or how much that innovation will be delayed by doing what I described above. If one can't search, the app is nearly useless to a large portion of users. New features and rapid development are nice, but they are not so nice as to allow the software to become useless to users for a month.

So, I quite disagree with your post.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, mz123 said:

Some counterpoints to your response:

1. I suspect you were slower to ask for help. I asked for help, and over a week went by before I received a reply like you did. I suffered with the bug for 2 weeks in disbelief that it was taking so long for Evernote to act, then waited another week after contacting support before this solution was offered.

2. The path to get to this workaround was painful. I was first offered no solution ("we're working on a fix"). After repeatedly asking for a previous version's APK or a refund, I was eventually offered links to a third-party APK download site by an Evernote employee!

3. I understand software development too. Reverting to a previously released version immediately was (and still is!) the best solution. After all, support is offering exactly that to users. Within hours of discovering this bug and understanding its impact, Evernote could have simply re-released the previous APK as the next update. They still can, and should. They can then work on implementing a bug fix into the next release version at their leisure. I understand that new release development requires testing, etc. However, a re-release is not the same. Reverting code to a previous version is technically simple, and requires no additional development or testing. It's simply like an undo-change. Put another way, it's like simply delaying a release further, or pulling an unauthorized release. It doesn't require business analysis, QA, or dev ops, in more than a trivial way.

There is no excuse for Evernote eliminating a mission-critical feature from what is arguably their most important platform, for an entire month (and counting). I don't care how much they innovate their software, or how much that innovation will be delayed by doing what I described above. If one can't search, the app is nearly useless to a large portion of users. New features and rapid development are nice, but they are not so nice as to allow the software to become useless to users for a month.

So, I quite disagree with your post.

I stand corrected then, as to responsiveness and a workaround, fo sho. I must have reaped the benefits of your travails in getting Evernote to respond/offer earlier apps; so thank you kindly. I still feel the same about expecting an almost immediate bugfix release (that is a big ask). Knowing now that others (you at least) did not have access to the workaround of reverting, I would say the company response is NOT as prime as I had thought.  I think offering roll back to earlier versions when something breaks, is acceptable and even a positive customer service move. BUT, this should have been done immediately once the bug was known. I do not understand why users are mad at having to roll back; I DO understand being mad if that roll back is not available/hard to find. 

In lieu of immediate fixes being rolled out, the company SHOULD have made prior builds easily available, ASAP.  

Thanks for being civil and thorough in your reply.

37 minutes ago, machx said:

I stand corrected then, as to responsiveness and a workaround, fo sho. I must have reaped the benefits of your travails in getting Evernote to respond/offer earlier apps; so thank you kindly. I still feel the same about expecting an almost immediate bugfix release (that is a big ask). Knowing now that others (you at least) did not have access to the workaround of reverting, I would say the company response is NOT as prime as I had thought.  I think offering roll back to earlier versions when something breaks, is acceptable and even a positive customer service move. BUT, this should have been done immediately once the bug was known. I do not understand why users are mad at having to roll back; I DO understand being mad if that roll back is not available/hard to find. 

In lieu of immediate fixes being rolled out, the company SHOULD have made prior builds easily available, ASAP.  

Thanks for being civil and thorough in your reply.

You're welcome. I can see from my experience and others' that eventually something in Evernote's approach changed from "no old APKs" to "here you go, an old APK". I didn't expect a gracious reply and thank you -  appreciate it. 

Note that I agree that a quick bugfix may be a big ask. I was advocating merely that Evernote make the old APK available immediately, via an update where the old APK is re-packaged with new version number. I don't think that's a big ask at all.

Here's to better software coding, either way!

Evernote is still the Editor's Choice in Productivity category in Google Play Store. Does anyone know a way to reach out to Google Play store editors and let them know this App (at least for now) is not deserving of the title "Editor's Choice" given the apathetic response of the developers especially to its Android users. A critical function 'Searching notes' hasn't been working for a long time, more than a month.. Evernote has done nothing to inform it's users about it or to not upgrade to its latest version. 

Screenshot_20190509-141458_Google Play Store.jpg

Edited by MayurH
Corrections
  • Like 1
On 5/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, mz123 said:

I was advocating merely that Evernote make the old APK available immediately, via an update where the old APK is re-packaged with new version number. I don't think that's a big ask at all.

No it is not a big ask. Apparently the biggest issue with doing that is 8.8.1 has problems with two-factor authentication. Still, I'm thinking that this fix is taking way too long. This seems to point to management issues at Evernote, or spaghetti code, which is a management issue too.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:41 AM, Bielefeldt said:

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

Exactly same problem on Pixel XL.  Over a week, search doesn't work anymore at all

Same issue, pixel 3XL fully updated no betas and search on Evernote has pretty much stopped working completely.

search is literally the only thing I care about on Evernote. I'm a premium user for it. Rather than providing me with a whole bunch of features that I actively don't want it would be nice if they actually focused on their core mission. This is a great way to get people like me to migrate off the platform

• Like 1

Charles, scroll up in this thread and find the instructions to downgrade to v8.8.1. It has been working well for many of us for days now

Remember to disable auto-update of the app in the Play Store. 

This state of affairs does remain perplexing though, doesn't it? 

I got the exactly same search problem with version 8.9. Tried to reinstall and didn't solve the problem. I have to install 8.8.1 as suggested by others in this thread and thankfully the problem has gone. Searching feature of Evernote is one of fundamentals to me why I love using Evernote. I am a premium paid user and an ECL and really got bit of disappointed this time.

Downgrading worked.

I think I first experienced this problem 2 months ago. Since I don't search by phone a lot, I did not press for a fix. Also I assumed EN would have a solution before the next time I tried to search. Guess I was wrong.

Reading the comments, it seems it took EN awhile to come up with a workaround. However, thanks to the active user community, it only took me 15 min to find it here -

Now I just need to remember NOT to update the app. 

I check in about once a week on the thread aaaaand, nope. Still broken. Has anyone from Evernote officially chimed in on this thread?

If 8.9.1 works, I'm wondering out loud when it will hit the Play Store. Can you imagine how many new users are getting the 8.9 distro as their first experience?

Just updated to latest version. Search bug has been fixed but was angered to read the update log. "Search in EV is awesome. Deep in our hearts we knew it could be awesomer". They refuse to acknowledge the pain and frustration caused to their paid customers for over 1 month! Deep in my heart in know Evernote doesn't give a damn about it's users. It's abundantly clear now!

20190513_175939.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutos atrás, MayurH disse:

Just updated to latest version. Search bug has been fixed but was angered to read the update log. "Search in EV is awesome. Deep in our hearts we knew it could be awesomer". They refuse to acknowledge the pain and frustration caused to their paid customers for over 1 month! Deep in my heart in know Evernote doesn't give a damn about it's users. It's abundantly clear now!

20190513_175939.jpg

Unfortunately I totally agree with you.

• Thanks 1

Search function doesn't work like it used to. For example, search for 'Alphabet Inc' yeilded results from within newspaper clippings (images) saved to my Evernote but fails to highlight the text. On my Mac it does

Screenshot_20190513-183903_Evernote.jpg

20190513_184347.jpg

• Like 2

One thing in Evernote's favor is that I trust Microsoft as far as I can throw it. They insist on making their Office 365 apps as confusing to use and maintain as possible. This is not exactly by design, but it's perhaps because "an elephant is a mouse designed by a committee." Just about anything that could be "simple" is, in Microsoft-land, simply "not simple." 

And that's simply a shame.

• Like 1