20 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

I wish OneNote was already mature enough that I could migrate to it, this is going to happen, It's only a matter of time. Will Evernote remain attractive after OneNote matures? We will see.

OneNote for mobile devices has less features than contemporary SMS apps!

On Evernote search - it's working for me now, 8.9.1, may update.

I upgraded last night. One positive thing about version 8.9.1 is that search is NOTICEABLY faster than previous Android versions.

I'm not happy about the non-highlighting that Mayurh noted above. It might be, though, that the non-highlighting and the faster search are connected in some way - either intentionally or unintentionally. 

Also not happy that Evernote issued a fix without acknowledging the problem, and the serious impact the problem had on many Android users. I believe most Android users have never been to this forum, and probably didn't find out about the fix by restoring an earlier version. It's not the worst software problem in human history, but Evernote could have handled the situation better.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

There is an update that is going out today, Evernote for Android version 8.9.1, that should resolve the search issue.

Please update to this version and let me know if you're still encountering search issues.

If you do not see the 8.9.1 update immediately available, it should appear by the end of the day today.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Shane,

Shane, I was looking at my version number yesterday and it was 8.9.1 then. I looked at the date of the last update and it said May 10. Is it possible this announcement was written on May 10 and was just now posted?

• Like 1

Search is perfect with the last recent update. Thank you, Evernote!

I don't know if we had that earlier on Android versions, but now when I search Google on my smartphone (via Google search bar widget) I get results from my notes in Evernote also. That's just amazing!!

Several people here point out that, although search is now working again (huzzah!!!) the fix appears to have triggered some other problems, like search string highlighting, clever release notes that are now too clever, and more sub-version confusion / fly-by-night updates. I also found that they took away a feature that displays items with current reminders at the top of the results. I wrote about that here.

• Level 5*
On 5/17/2019 at 6:57 AM, John in Michigan USA said:

I also found that they took away a feature that displays items with current reminders at the top of the results. I wrote about that here.

I see reminders at the top of my search results, in a separate collapsible list, at least for some cases. Seems to be if you type text that matches a tag or notebook name, which you then select, then reminders are shown. In other cases, like a plain text search, you wind up with the "Refine Your Search" line, and no reminders. For example, I have a tag "Trek", which also appears in text. If I start a search for "trek", and select the Trek tag, then I get reminders, but if I just tap on the magnifying glass, I get "Refine your search" and no reminders. Maybe a "Done" button at that point, to say that I don't want to refine it any more, or add the reminders at a lower location in the display? It's kind of awkward and inconsistent as it is currently.

• Like 1

Yeah there are different display modes (not just formatting of results, there are different controls available) depending on how you search. In most cases, there's no clear UI design rationale for using different modes.

For example: I'm very thankful for reminders, but they weren't part of the EN design concept. They were shoe-horned in shortly after I starting using EN. That would date them to 2011 or 2012. Some search results modes were updated to deal with reminders intelligently, other modes were not. With well designed code, search results are rendered by the same object (block of code), regardless of how you search. So, changing that code to handle reminders would have solved the problem in all search results. This is more evidence the EN code base needs to be re-worked. No wonder it is so hard for them to make changes without introducing more bugs!

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

For example: I'm very thankful for reminders, but they weren't part of the EN design concept. They were shoe-horned in shortly after I starting using EN.

Oh, I remember that well. Folks thought they were being promised to-dos (which I didn't really need), but got reminders, and were flummoxed by it all. Shoehorned, maybe, but I actually appreciate how they did it, since reminders are just notes with a reminder date (plus a couple of other related fields). I think it's fine that they display in a separate, independently sortable sublist (at least in the Windows application). Turns that reminders work really well for me.

12 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

With well designed code, search results are rendered by the same object (block of code), regardless of how you search. So, changing that code to handle reminders would have solved the problem in all search results. This is more evidence the EN code base needs to be re-worked. No wonder it is so hard for them to make changes without introducing more bugs!

I can't comment on the quality of their internal software design, because I'm on the outside (my experience leads me to believe that good design is nice to have, but often difficult to achieve in practice), but one of the difficulties is that there is not just one code base, but several, in different languages, for the different platforms.

In any case, hopefully this is just an oversight -- and easily fixed -- rather than a design flaw. Being able to refine a search is important, particularly on mobile devices.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2019 at 9:16 PM, MayurH said:

Search function doesn't work like it used to. For example, search for 'Alphabet Inc' yeilded results from within newspaper clippings (images) saved to my Evernote but fails to highlight the text. On my Mac it does

I miss the text-in-image search term highlighting too. It was very useful, and quite cool! Does it work on the desktop? 

On 7/2/2019 at 8:32 AM, mmmaak said:

I miss the text-in-image search term highlighting too. It was very useful, and quite cool! Does it work on the desktop? 

Yes it works fine on Desktop