rimboma

Search doesn't work

Or rarely works. It's been like that for months now. I simply forgot to report it. Search doesn't return any results for simple, single, separate English words guaranteed to be present in my notes.

Connectivity - assured.

Notebooks - personal i.e. not shared notebooks.

Restarts, reboots, cleaning app cache don't work. It's been like that on my previous Android installation so I assume reinstalling the app doesn't help either.

Tested also with Google 's WebView 73.x instead of my AOSP WebView 69.x.

An excerpt from Evernote log:

Auto Sync Enabled: true
Master Sync Enabled: true
Sync Interval: 3600000
Accessibility: 0
Offline Search is activated
Offline Search Index is ready
------------------------

Device and Install Info
----------------------------------------
Brand: Motorola
Model: XT1562
Product: Moto X Play
Display: lineage_lux-userdebug 7.1.2 ####
Display Width: 1080
Display Height: 1776
Display Density: 3.0
Android version: 7.1.2
Preloaded: false
IsTablet: false
Evernote version: 8.9(1082813)
Evernote revision: 8.9_2464
Evernote type: public
WebView version: 69.0.3497.109
Editor version Uno: 62.4.7951
Editor version Classic: UNAVAILABLE
Network operator:  /
Locale: en_GB
isRTL: false
Package: com.evernote
Arch: armv7l
Arch supported: [armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Orientation: Portrait
Resources-Folder: values-v24
Data path: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files
Internal storage: 2 GB / 10 GB
External storage: 2 GB / 10 GB
SDCardStatus: null
Installer: com.android.vending
Rooted: false
Xposed: false
-------------------------

Screenshot_20190405-114910.png

Screenshot_20190405-155704.png

Screenshot_20190405-155905.png

Screenshot_20190409-161521.png

Screenshot_20190409-161845.png

Hi.  With any Android issue,  sync / uninstalling / restarting / reinstalling is the first thing to try...  (and my Android search is working fine by the way...)

I've just re-installed the app as cleanly and as with many restarts as possible. It changed nothing.

Something is truly off though.

I just checked it on my girlfriend's phone (my android is almost a stock one, while she uses Huawei P10 lite) and she gets different UI elements etc. I get only the "recycle" circle arrow (see the attached image) and nothing else while she gets a proper magnifying glass icon with a complete message "No notes have been found" or something like that.

IMG_20190409_183001.jpg

• Like 1

I've scanned through Play Store reviews. At least 2 people reported Search related issues in 2019 alone. There's even a reply from Evernote from 11/08/2018 stating that it's a known issue and that updating WebView might help.

EDIT:

Still same behaviour. Google's WebView 73.x.

no logro que funcione la búsqueda en Android tengo un Huawei 16

@rimboma it would be interesting to know your detailed version number from your most recent activity log. Under the "Device and Install Info" section you will find lines similar to:

Evernote version: 8.x(yyyyyyy)
Evernote revision: 8.x_zzzz
Evernote type: public (or something else)

This information would help determine if your issue is related to @Bill Clarke 's problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

@rimboma it would be interesting to know your detailed version number from your most recent activity log. Under the "Device and Install Info" section you will find lines similar to:

Evernote version: 8.x(yyyyyyy)
Evernote revision: 8.x_zzzz
Evernote type: public (or something else)

This information would help determine if your issue is related to @Bill Clarke 's problem.

I've added the info to the first post.

• Like 1

Also not working for me on my samsung Galaxy nor my Asus Chromebook. Very annoying. I have to open it in a webpage to search. 

• Like 1

Here's the log from a Huawei P10 Lite on which search works without problems:

Auto Sync Enabled: false

Master Sync Enabled: true
Sync Interval: NOT SET
Accessibility: 0
Offline Search is activated
Offline Search Index is ready
ENML COUNT=28
RES COUNT=5

Device and Install Info
----------------------------------------
Brand: HUAWEI
Model: WAS-LX1
Product: WAS-LX1
Display: WAS-LX1 8.0.0.390(C432)
Display Width: 1080
Display Height: 1794
Display Density: 3.0
Android version: 8.0.0
Preloaded: false
IsTablet: false
Evernote version: 8.8.1(1082393)
Evernote revision: 8.8.1_2445
WebView version: 73.0.3683.90
Editor version Uno: 62.1.7520
Editor version Classic: UNAVAILABLE
Network operator: 26002 / T-Mobile.pl
Locale: pl_PL
isRTL: false
Package: com.evernote
Arch: armv7l
Arch supported: [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Orientation: Portrait
Resources-Folder: values-v24
Data path: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files
Internal storage: 9 GB / 22 GB
External storage: 9 GB / 22 GB
SDCardStatus: null
Installer: com.android.vending
Rooted: false
Xposed: false

I opened a ticket with Evernote support. After 4 days, 9 emails and 3 different contact persons, evernote told me:

'We're currently aware of this issue and working on a fix that will be in an upcoming release. You'll receive an in-app message when the next update is available. Additionally, you can always select Help>Check for Updates.' 

Cheers

Alex

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Check this method suggested in another thread on this same problem:

This didn't work for me.

Please compare the two logs I provided. Clearly my girlfriend, for whom the search works, uses 8.8. I've got 8.9 even though I did not join beta!

Weirdly,  my search has just stopped working - enter any word into the search box,  even one that I know is in a recent note,  and all I get is an endlessly circling arrow.  I'm still on 8.9_Beta3 and have tried the Search & Storage trick;  no result.  Hmmn.  :(

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Weirdly,  my search has just stopped working - enter any word into the search box,  even one that I know is in a recent note,  and all I get is an endlessly circling arrow.  I'm still on 8.9_Beta3 and have tried the Search & Storage trick;  no result.  Hmmn.  :(

Clearing cache etc doesn't work for me either. Do your saved searches work? 

Just got an update. No luck. And BTW, I understand the team doesn't feel like updating the changeling. But to not update even the date (last updated) is outright sloppiness.

58 minutes ago, Lexbrkly said:

Clearing cache etc doesn't work for me either. Do your saved searches work? 

In my case they don't work either. Interestingly typing and not pressing ENTER clearly returns note title matches just fine.

Hmmn. Maybe that's why I thought my search was working before... Type a query and wait, and the hits turn up. Tap the magnifying glass and the hits disappear in favour of an endlessly circling green arrow. Use a saved search and there's a blue bar at the top of the screen that refreshes and refreshes... and then it's just a blank white screen... 

Yep, those are the symptoms. Let's hope they'll get fixed soon. 

@gazumped

That's how it manifests, yes. Let's hope for a quick fix. At the sime time, I don't hold my breath. Some people called the bug "recent". It's barely recent on my install at least. Months rather than weeks.

I got used to Evernote's nonchalant apporach to CORE features misbehaving but the priority of this one multiplied by how long it's being allowed to dangle makes me think this is a new record.

I've just received yet another update. No fix.

Evernote version: 8.9(1082853)
Evernote revision: 8.9_2470
WebView version: 73.0.3683.90
Editor version Uno: 62.4.7951

Enough of this *****. I'm downgrading. Does anyone know of a download link for the 8.8.x APK within official Evernote domains? At the same time I'm going to try exporting an APK from my girlfriend's phone using [Apk Extractor from F-Droid. No ads, no tracking.] https://f-droid.org/en/packages/axp.tool.apkextractor/

A lesson for the future. Demand that the developeres post actual change logs. Developers - post change logs, do your #$^@! job!

Generally things might be changing for the better - have a look at @ObviousBob's thread here... 

12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Generally things might be changing for the better - have a look at @ObviousBob's thread here... 

We shall see. The past year was a freaking Windows Phone dejavu with constant problems with core features. I'll believe it when I see at least a glimpse of the promises materializing. Especially that the search hiatus might have been adressed by what is almost a "do nothing", i.e. by rolling back or not rolling out 8.9 for some users for whatever reason.

I've just downgraded to 8.8 from my girlfriend's phone and the search works fine.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 6:33 PM, gazumped said:

Which thread are you referring to? Cant see it unfortunately.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:11 PM, flwflw said:

Which thread are you referring to? Cant see it unfortunately.

Hmmn.  Have a look at the Evernote marketing webinar on Youtube here.  CEO Ian Small comments - after a little while - that he is only too aware of Evernote's frustrations,  and in fact before he became CEO he 'fired' Evernote as his note-taker of choice because of that.  He seems committed to fixing the frustrations,  soon* - which encouraged me,  anyways.

*I'm guessing for values of 'soon' greater than this week,  and (hopefully) less than next year...

I suspect it's the same issue, or at least related, but I have found that the widget I use to show saved search results is now showing me, "Couldn't load your list. It's probably just the Wi-Fi."

It's not the Wi-Fi. I checked. Restart, clear cache, etc. have not fixed it.

Playing around a bit, having the widget display a saved search that's relatively simple (e.g., just a single word) works fine. Asking it to show more advanced results (e.g., a saved search looking for particular tags, notebooks, etc.) does not.

I see that I received an update to the app early today. I usually don't pay attention to the version numbers unless there's a problem, but according to my log file, I'm currently on Evernote version 8.9(1082873), Evernote revision 8.9_2473.

I've submitted a ticket, so we'll see what comes back. I'm cautiously optimistic, given that folks have indicated Evernote responses saying that they're aware of search issues.

I've noticed that another build of 8.9 has been released. Dated April 15th. Could anyone confirm whether this issue is still present?

4 minutes ago, rimboma said:

I've noticed that another build of 8.9 has been released. Dated April 15th. Could anyone confirm whether this issue is still present?

That's the version I appear to have. There are still problems with search.

Hi,

I'm having the Android Evernote version 8.9 and I'm having the same problems -

Search not working on Android.

Search is working on Evernote for Web on PC (Windows 10).

Please help, without searching in Evernote is a MAJOR problem. 

Regards