Evernote Legacy

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

• Level 5

Tabs are available - if you use the web client, that is.

And for Mac users: Maybe out of a weird sense of revenge (Windows users never had tabs, and seem to have missed nothing), tabs are NOT supported in Safari, only in other browsers like Firefox and Chrome.

But the good message is: Available on all platforms, in the web client.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, Federico Simionato said:

I don't know enough about the reasons behind using legacy (except habit) to rip it off right now. Hopefully I'll be more confident of the decision in a few months as I learn more.
But in any case we will still need to understand how many users are on legacy because they don't know about the alternative and how many are there because they need/want it. That's why we are ramping up communication and creating a path of least resistance that brings people to the newest version.

I am using Legacy because I want to. I can explain but it concerns multiple notes and tags

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Today I got an orange bar displayed in Evernote Legacy 6.25.3.9348 (309348) under Win7 on the PC.
On the bar it says:

“This version is out of date. You must install the new version to continue using Evernote."

Is this the end of Evernote Legacy on Win7?

Best regards

I think legacy still works on win 10. I hope it continues to do so for a while even though I mostly use v10. There’s only one or two things right now that legacy does better and I still use it for that reason. 

Hi everyone,

For the last week, I have been working with Support on a few problems:

Rolling out Evernote desktop 10.61 – Evernote Help & Learning

As both v10 and Evernote Web have problems, I am back to using 6.18.4.8489 again. I'm sorry that I have to use legacy, but the new EN systems have problems that prevent me from using them. That's why I'm also asking for advice from you folks in the Community. Thanks.

I'm not technical, but I believe Support needs to fix the problem in v10.

However, on the Evernote Web version maybe somebody here in the Community can help me with that problem. When I select a note, only 4 or 5 tags are displayed. If it has more tags, they won't show in the list. They seem to be hidden off to the left side of the list of tags. I've tried using Windows Edge and Google Chrome, but both have the same problem. If I select the rightmost tag and then use the left arrow to move left along the list of tags, any tags > 5 or so just don't show in the list. After the first 4 or 5 tags I can see, the other tags seem to be hidden off the screen. I'm testing with a note that has 10 tags. If I just keep pressing the left arrow until I reach the end, then I use the right arrow to move along the list of tags. After 4 or so clicks (the hidden tags), then the tag list starts highlighting and continues to the end of the tag list. I hope my explanation is clear.

Also in Evernote Web, how can I get the note count next to the tags list to appear?

Suggestions are welcome : )

Cheers, Duhtch

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, Regor said:

Thank you, Pink Elephant. That's sad.
My phone (Android 8 ) will probably be over, too.

Android 9 is now supported for Evernote v10.54 onwards. I confess I was surprised by this. After not seeing any movement on support for earlier versions of Android. I really don't expect Android 8 to get support :(

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Regor said:

Today I got an orange bar displayed in Evernote Legacy 6.25.3.9348 (309348) under Win7 on the PC.

I got it on Windows 10 @Regor ! Time to move from Evernote!

I have been testing Joplin. The conversion from Evernote is excellent (albeit a bit slow). But it is the only app that I have tested that converts Evernote without data loss. I'll try Notion as well again in case they have fixed the Evernote import I complained about several months ago...

Here is some info on importing from Evernote.

This weekend, I will be testing the Joplin Cloud so that I can make sure I can have my Joplin Notes on my phone and tablet.

John

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, idoc said:

I think legacy still works on win 10. I hope it continues to do so for a while even though I mostly use v10. There’s only one or two things right now that legacy does better and I still use it for that reason. 

Still works but I get the orange bar that says “This version is out of date. You must install the new version to continue using Evernote." .

There are several things that Legacy does better and that is why I still prefer it and hate Evernote 10.

I posted this during the Evernote Beta 2 back in 2020:

Evernote Beta 2 Issues - First Look (Posted 2020.05.09)

As far as I know, Evernote 10 does not have Outlook Integration (which I use several times a week). Nor can we control the interface (I use the controls I have added every day in Legacy). I also don't believe we can change the default fonts in Evernote 10. At least we can't in Tool > Settings. As I used to train people how to layout books, I detest the default Evernote 10 fonts!

I have been paying for Evernote since October of 2008. I hope to move away from it very soon!
  • Level 5

And who cares ?

Legacy is on borrowed time since October 2020. Who is still using it does it on his own peril. 

This includes that it will stop working - any day now.

Do what you like, no need to use hornets, drums and trumpets about your personal choice.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

Evernote 10 does not have Outlook Integration

I use Outlook on Windows (11) and have a small program running on it from 4Tech called Sync2, which syncs my Outlook Calendar with my Google Calendar, which I use on my Android Phone and tablet.  I can add/edit/delete items on any of the devices, and this program syncs the changes.  I have connected Google Calendar with Evernote, which displays on the Widget on the Home Screen.

3 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I ... a small program running on it from 4Tech called Sync2

Seems to be a possible solution. Does it work with Office-365?
After all (because I/we use Outlook heavily) syncing it with Google to get synced wie EN might be a handling (timing, reliability, pricing) problem. I'd like to get a direct O365/EN interface. At least for Teams users 😉

5 hours ago, johnm243 said:

I got it on Windows 10 @Regor ! Time to move from Evernote!

I have been testing Joplin. The conversion from Evernote is excellent (albeit a bit slow). But it is the only app that I have tested that converts Evernote without data loss. I'll try Notion as well again in case they have fixed the Evernote import I complained about several months ago...

Here is some info on importing from Evernote.

This weekend, I will be testing the Joplin Cloud so that I can make sure I can have my Joplin Notes on my phone and tablet.

Thanks for the tip!
Is it possible to use Joplin offline and synchronize it directly between PC and phone app?
How much does Joplin cost?

• Level 5

No, but a well meaning fellow user.

Where do you think you find the xxx-experts (place the name of your app into the xxx-space) - here or in the xxx-community ?

We talk quite freely here about other apps, but mainly with tips about how to move data from here to there, or vice versa. I don’t think the group of users present here is really competent to explain details about how other apps are working or should best be used.

Beside this, the closest app to EN legacy you are going to find is EN v10. Moving to any other app will be a larger move than simply upgrading.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, johnm243 said:

Nor can we control the interface (I use the controls I have added every day in Legacy). I also don't believe we can change the default fonts in Evernote 10. At least we can't in Tool > Settings. As I used to train people how to layout books, I detest the default Evernote 10 fonts!

I also (slightly) miss the inability to modify the interface. Out of curiosity, what did you modify in Legacy?

WRT fonts, the tradeoff, of course, is that the same fonts can be displayed and edited across platforms. If someone only uses Windows or Mac, then the inability to see their preferred fonts on Android is not a problem, but for me it was, and I don't need access to Windows' entire font set. In your situation, I can see it would be an issue. But for cross-platform users who don't actually teach font selection as part of their job, the new system has advantages.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, CalS said:

It will stop syncing at some point which kind of defeats the purpose.  

yepp - but for those who want to export their notes and migrate to other services EN Legacy and Legacy export functions may still be of some use for most of their notes for a certain time even without update by sync.

• Like 2

When v10 was first 'shoved onto us' I was tricked by EN into believing this was just another simple upgrade, but I soon found out that it was complete garbage & had to revert back to Legacy.  Since then I have tried 2 other times to have support help me 'upgrade' to v10, but they not only failed to keep scheduled appointments with me but also wasted a lot of my time by having me thoroughly define the reasons why I continued to use Legacy, only to eventually ghost me.  I've been a long-term paying user & advocate of EN & they way they handled this upgrade has been pathetic!!!!!  I'm now very skeptical of allowing them to waste any more of my time again & to even try v10 after what's happened.  I can see by this thread there's still issues with it that only those who drink the green koolaid think are acceptable. Get over yourself!  EN has a responsibility to all past paying users of Legacy to not break the apps functions or reformat or destroy note contents during ANY upgrade!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Seems to be a possible solution. Does it work with Office-365?
After all (because I/we use Outlook heavily) syncing it with Google to get synced wie EN might be a handling (timing, reliability, pricing) problem. I'd like to get a direct O365/EN interface. At least for Teams users 😉

@AlbertR, I use Calendar Bridge for Office 365 to sync to Google Calendar, and then to Evernote.  I found it easy to set up and it works well.  Fringe benefit: I can now use Google Calendar on my Android devices which I find much more convenient than the Outlook Android app.  It's not free, but the cost is modest and worthwhile, IMO.

I haven't tried sych2 as @bmcl26 recommends so I'm not promoting one over the other -- just offering my own experience.  ASFAIK Calendar Bridge does not sync contacts, though.  

Vinnie

• Like 2
On 9/12/2023 at 4:47 PM, Regor said:

Hello,

On the bar it says:

“This version is out of date. You must install the new version to continue using Evernote."

Is this the end of Evernote Legacy on Win7?

Best regards

I am running Evernote Legacy 6.25.1.909.1 (309091) under Win 10.

I did receive messages for about 3 weeks in August, informing me that I was running an old version of Evernote, but I just ignored the messages and they went away.  The legacy version has continued to run just fine.

Since the whole database resides on my PC.  I'm hoping I can continue to access it, on the PC, even though, I can't access the cloud version. 

I also like to reference Evernote notes on my Android phone.  I just downloaded my primary notebook, so I can access it offline on Android.

I moved on to a different PKM app, almost 2 years ago, after I lost access to my Evernote Notes from my phone, for 2 weeks.  So my most recent notes are not at risk to be lost by Evernotes buggy software.   However, I have not exported my old Evernote notes yet.

I hope Evernote allows us to  continue to access our notes offline in stand alone mode, even after they cut us legacy users off, from syncing to the cloud.

• Level 5

When it stops syncing, it is factually dead.

Whatever you do with it is your choice (and risk). We can’t confirm it will do anything when the server connection is severed. And most advanced functions like indexing for search, OCR and more are server based. They will stop working for sure.

If you ever had „buggy“ software, a client without its server fits that description for sure.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Legacy worked fine offline back in the day.  Key was you could not log out before going offline.  So unless BS drops a bomb into existing legacy users or somehow local legacy data gets hosed via the new sync, I would hazard a guess EN legacy would work locally.  And you don't want to be using on demand sync.

For sure you could air gap a machine with legacy on it and it would work today.  Which means it would work in the future.  Not saying it's anywhere near optimal, but it could be a safe place to keep one's data pending a transition to something.

That was my disaster plan back in 2020 but as I've moved on, not needed.  The rare times I want to take a look at an old note I use the web.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Level 5

@CalS You left when sync and server were fully available for legacy users.

This will not be the case any more. So everything added after day X will get no server side processing.

Not sure if adding anything to synced notebooks will still work. What will not work is indexing, OCR and the like.

Which makes it a pretty stupid file storage.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

But basing on local data Legacy probably may still be a pretty intelligent solution for fast access to older notes or date and for export / migration. 

So as CalS said...

4 hours ago, CalS said:

unless BS drops a bomb into existing legacy users

Legacy might be freezed in but should still be usable for these purposes. But without any doubt: Using Evernote for notetaking pkm etc. will better be done with EN 10.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The problem that builds over time is that you have some content here, some content there, and no way to get it found in one go.

It may look comfortable to simply run the old software, but it is not really a solution.

Beside this nobody knows (and nobody cares) which exploits will be found over time. And finally Windows 6.25 is still 32bit code. Nobody knows when the OS will drop support for it.

Mac 7.14 is already 64Bit - but seriously degraded if used on a recent MacOS.

Personally I think the best solution to protect the own data is to export anything now, while all functions are still working.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So everything added after day X will get no server side processing.

You don't need server side processing if you treat legacy as a stand alone app.  There are firewall rules that can be installed to prevent EN from talking to the Internet.  Did that back in the day when massive updates were better performed disconnected.

What will not work is indexing, OCR and the like.

Not so.  Best I can recall legacy indexed locally, which is what made it so fast.  Which made it usable in no Internet zones.  And I had enough trouble tickets with EN's server OCR not being as accurate as local OCR to know that works (ScanSnap or OCR after the fact).  No image OCR for sure.

Wow.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is a good solution by any stretch.  If someone wants to keep their stuff around for a bit to enable their transition I think it is viable.  Not really a forever solution.  It can only last as long as your PC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 9/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, enfan-01 said:

When v10 was first 'shoved onto us' I was tricked by EN into believing this was just another simple upgrade, but I soon found out that it was complete garbage & had to revert back to Legacy. ... I've been a long-term paying user & advocate of EN & they way they handled this upgrade has been pathetic!!!!!  I'm now very skeptical of allowing them to waste any more of my time again & to even try v10 after what's happened.  I can see by this thread there's still issues with it that only those who drink the green koolaid think are acceptable. Get over yourself!  EN has a responsibility to all past paying users of Legacy to not break the apps functions or reformat or destroy note contents during ANY upgrade!

Can you be any more specific about how v. 10 is garbage for you? I don't know when was the last time you tried it, but things have changed, even since this thread was started. V. 10 works better for me than Legacy for my purposes. Please no insulting judgments. I'm just stating my experience. I don't understand the passion for Legacy in general, but I have seen some descriptions of use cases that make it sensible to keep Legacy while it lasts. I'm just asking what yours is, so I can understand.

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert

Long time users of legacy well know that the company went into a financial mess and was purchased...

Legacy was started at a different time period. Today in 2023, it makes no sense to no longer support multiple code bases , keep on adding tech debt to a point of no return , and long obsolete libraries. 

The best case scenario for legacy would have been that it was only kept supported to keep working, with no functional improvements at all ...

If that's the case , the app is as good , as dead anyways ...

10.x isnt perfect . At many points like the 'notifications' panel', 'seamless sharing ' with WC integration etc , it's definitely better. But 10.x has equally improved and has become way way snappier, and it continues to keep adding features, and is positioned to take on the likes of the newer gen apps , going ahead. 

Legacy would not stand a chance..come back , download 10.x and give it a try for a week, maybe you'll change your mind . 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, CalS said:

You don't need server side processing if you treat legacy as a stand alone app.  There are firewall rules that can be installed to prevent EN from talking to the Internet.

Its been a while since I've used legacy and can't remember if you need to be logged in to use it for local only notebooks?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Its been a while since I've used legacy and can't remember if you need to be logged in to use it for local only notebooks?

You have to stay logged in.  When you access Legacy if you are logged out it forces a sign in.  Obviously if no internet that is problematic.  So a key habit is to Exit or x out of legacy..  Never sign out.

That's how it was anyway, don't know why that would have changed..  Easy enough for someone to test. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've posted earlier in this thread, but here is why I am still using Legacy. I note that I actually have both Legacy and 10.6.whatever running, and only use Legacy for this particular function.

I use screenshots (saved via EN) as a significant part of my work flow and documentation.

The Legacy Helper allows me to click and save screenshots to notes, just like that.

The updated (10.6.whatever) Helper only allows screenshots of Evernote - if I am on a website, it pulls Evernote to the front and takes a picture of whatever is open. It does not matter which screenshot option I select; they all pull up Evernote. Yes I am running the most current version of Evernote.

So, for me, an incredibly important useful feature is gone in the updated version. And that is why I am very frustrated with being pushed into the change.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If that’s your problem, and you are on a Mac, you simply have not given EN the right to capture the screen in MacOS settings.

This solution (which has nothing to do with EN v10, it’s just plain MacOS handling) has been explained in the forum several times - and it can be found by forum search.

In fact I feel quite fed up by all the late starters, who didn‘t follow 3 years of development and now explain to us why legacy is so superior. It is today lacking much more than what it has left as unique features. Taking screen shots is none of them.

@PinkElephant, thank you for the pointer. I note that the reason I'm using Legacy to take screenshots is because of this forum, it was the solution I found when I last explored the problem. Evernote is a tool for me, not a lifestyle. 

Despite the help, your rudeness to me and others seems unnecessary, and your unpleasantness does not encourage me to spend any additional time here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, tuulikki said:

@PinkElephant, thank you for the pointer. I note that the reason I'm using Legacy to take screenshots is because of this forum, it was the solution I found when I last explored the problem. Evernote is a tool for me, not a lifestyle. 

Despite the help, your rudeness to me and others seems unnecessary, and your unpleasantness does not encourage me to spend any additional time here.

I understand your frustration, but so is this frustrating for those obsessed with 'legacy', a service that may have had an amazing past, but with no future, 

And by continuing to obsess with 'legacy', you guys are seriously blocking the faster progress of 10.x, which is clearly the future, ahead 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, tuulikki said:

Tuulikki.  Pink Elephant spends an enormous amount of time on this forum providing help and solutions to thousands of EN users.   Sometimes he appears impatient as he encounters questions that he has repeatedly addressed dozens of times (even though it may have been the first time for you).  He is an invaluable resource on this forum.  If you do a search of your issue you will probably find many previous posts on that exact topic, and many of those posts will be from Pink Elephant. 

• Like 1

@Federico Simionato, I use Legacy to export all my notes in one go. The v. 10 only allows you to export a max of 50 notes at a time. This is very time-consuming as I have hundreds of notes and several notebooks. But if v 10 will have this functionality, then I won't need to use Legacy anymore.

Btw, the reason why I export my notes is to back them up. 

Hope you can integrate this functionality in v 10 soon. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

1) all notes export - bad idea (ever was), because the notebooks don’t export. You get all notes on a heap, have fun if you ever need to use it.

2) wrong - the limit is 100 individually selected OR any notebook independent of size.

In fact nothing has changed since legacy. With legacy an export that keeps the notebook information must be done by notebook as well. This is supported by v10.

There are other options to run a backup. There is Backuppery as a paid service, or a GitHub project by a fellow user.

Em 03/05/2023 at 17:09, Federico Simionato disse:

Vast majority of legacy users don't know they are using legacy. More than two thirds of them never even installed v10. I saw this personally in many conversations: they think they are using "Evernote". But legacy is breaking more and more with each OS update.

Plus it makes backend teams worry about backwards compatibility. We need to speed up development and legacy is one thing preventing us from doing so.

@HeBoIz What's the key reason you use legacy vs v10?
I daily run v10 and occasionally try using legacy, but I can't stand it, it's too buggy.

@Federico Simionato I continue to use the Legacy version because it allows me to edit dates of creation and update of notes, which is crucial for my work. I have asked several times when this feature will be available in the new versions of the app, but it looks like it's not relevant for developers. So I have to switch all the time between Legacy and the newest version.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

My best estimate is that you need to adapt your workflow according to what works with v10. I don’t expect any changes - and I do expect that legacy will stop syncing every other day now.

You can add a date at the beginning of the title field - use yyyymmdd to have it sortable. Or you start to use tags.

Forget the updated field, and modify the created field only when you enter information not critical for you. When you for example export to ENEX, and import again, this field is overwritten with the import date (yes, as well on legacy). So better not to entrust it with any vital information.

Thanks for the information. I am a 12+ year user with +27k notes, I use hundreds of tags and have never had a problem until now. I'm still not happy with v10 in this respect and I'm still hoping that something worthwhile will happen, we'll see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Dopplerboy said:

@Federico Simionato, I use Legacy to export all my notes in one go. The v. 10 only allows you to export a max of 50 notes at a time. This is very time-consuming as I have hundreds of notes and several notebooks. But if v 10 will have this functionality, then I won't need to use Legacy anymore.

Btw, the reason why I export my notes is to back them up. 

Hope you can integrate this functionality in v 10 soon. Thanks!

I have the same issue.  My workflow involves exporting huge amounts of attachments that live in as many notes.  It is not unusual for us to export 3000 notes from a notebook which contain 3000 pdfs.  We do this on a monthly basis .  It used to take about 30 seconds with Legacy.  It is simply not possible to do this the same way with v10.  I believe this is a problem that the majority of users do NOT encounter and therefore this may not be an imperative for EN.  However, this is the reason why I have kept Legacy available.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

You can, in theory, have all these notes in a single notebook and just export the one notebook since there is no note count restriction within the notebook.  I appreciate that this is probably not what you need @idoc but it may be a solution for others.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, idoc said:

It is not unusual for us to export 3000 notes from a notebook which contain 3000 pdfs.  We do this on a monthly basis

I did my export daily   
But only changed notes; based on modification date    

6 minutes ago, agsteele said:

You can, in theory, have all these notes in a single notebook and just export the one notebook since there is no note count restriction within the notebook.  I appreciate that this is probably not what you need @idoc but it may be a solution for others.

This can work OK in most cases.  It does not work in my use case in which I have faxes that are sent to me through a service called Hellofax.  These faxes all go into a notebook (Hellofax) and they each contain one pdf (the fax itself).  We receive thousands of these each month.   I can export the entire notebook as you mentioned and it will then appear in whatever directory I choose.  Such as this:

image.png.f1c396d7ef93b95bc89cd659bd79b67b.png

When I open up the first folder I see this:

image.png.3e93f9d8d3134ce6df688728d16925ff.png

There are pdf files buried in each one of these packages which I can open one by one (not all at the same time) with Acrobat.

image.png.3a78c721224522afe7accbe43f417a28.png

I

However, this is not helpful for my use case.  I need to see all of my pdf files openly and not buried in this structure.   I have tried figuring out work arounds and there have been several threads on this.  Legacy did not have this problem.  The interesting thing is that if I take other notebooks in which I have physically put in pdf files (rather than having them sent to my EN by third parties)  then the whole thing works as intended ie: I can export the entire notebook and the pdfs show up as they should.  Look at the following example in which I have physically placed a pdf file in the "Hellofax" notebook.  It shows up normally but all of the other received files don't.  

image.png.ef8289b42ba2a74abeb0b7adcff79c2b.png

• Level 5

Using EN I would export to HTML. All attachments will show in one folder.

But probably it would be better to have the faxes send to another service, where they are not wrapped into a note. I don’t see the advantage of a wrapped pdf in this case - to me it looks as if it has rather plenty of disadvantages.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Forget the updated field, and modify the created field only when you enter information not critical for you. When you for example export to ENEX, and import again, this field is overwritten with the import date (yes, as well on legacy). So better not to entrust it with any vital information.

Hmm,  not sure about that... have you tested this recently?

edit: I just tested this on my Windows client: I exported a note to Enex and re-imported it, the update and creation time did not change, the imported note is an exact clone, except for the unique note-id of course

• Level 5*

@idoc  Not sure you want to add another product, but... 

When I left EN I purchased Directory Opus, a File Explorer on steroids plus piece of software.  I use it as a gateway to the repository I created from my EN notes.  It even kind of looks like EN with a folder and saved search left panel, a file list middle panel, and a display right panel.

I exported 58k notes to HTML.  I've added another 6k files since then.  Searches in DO can return files and folders.  You can segregate or hide types as you see fit.  You can create saved searches as well.  Depending upon the content of your faxes you may be able to create a search to do the job.  Assuming you index the folders containing these files searches are pretty much as you type.

Or this could be a worse change for your processes.   🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, idoc said:

I have the same issue.  My workflow involves exporting huge amounts of attachments that live in as many notes.  It is not unusual for us to export 3000 notes from a notebook which contain 3000 pdfs.  We do this on a monthly basis .  It used to take about 30 seconds with Legacy.  It is simply not possible to do this the same way with v10.  I believe this is a problem that the majority of users do NOT encounter and therefore this may not be an imperative for EN.  However, this is the reason why I have kept Legacy available.

I just want to say I appreciate your very reasonable supposition that your usage is a relatively uncommon one, hence not a priority for the developers. The discussion here may offer ways of managing something like this in v. 10, but I can see why you've retained Legacy for this

On 9/18/2023 at 2:32 AM, CalS said:

@idoc  Not sure you want to add another product, but... 

When I left EN I purchased Directory Opus, a File Explorer on steroids plus piece of software.  I use it as a gateway to the repository I created from my EN notes.  It even kind of looks like EN with a folder and saved search left panel, a file list middle panel, and a display right panel.

I exported 58k notes to HTML.  I've added another 6k files since then.  Searches in DO can return files and folders.  You can segregate or hide types as you see fit.  You can create saved searches as well.  Depending upon the content of you faxes you may be able to create a search to do the job.  Assuming you index the folders containing these files searches are pretty much as you type.

Or this could be a worse change for your processes.   🤷‍♂️

Can Document Opus search pdf and word documents and is textual search fast?

• Level 5*

@eric99 Yes it can, as long as you use Windows Indexing.

I created a folder called My Paperless when I left EN.  It contains Evernote and Post EN.  Evernote contains my EN structure, 2 stacks and 4 folders, 2 per stack.  The one exception was I exported to HTML by year so I have year folders under the 4 folders.  Post EN has 6 folders.

I have Windows Indexing enabled for My Paperless.  WI indexes pretty much everything but the contents of images.  I have 320k items in the index (EN HTML export creates a file for every icon or attachment and puts them in a folder so 56k notes expands a bit) and pretty much instantaneous response time.  Which frankly surprised me a bit in early days.

For my use case Directory Opus is a great gateway to this repository.  File Explorer would work but DO has so many productivity enabling features.  Per the above post - similar layout to EN, saved searches, saved views, mass rename, mass date change.  Stuff you can use in general.

Final point, I use MEGA (end to end encryption) as a cloud service for My Paperless.  The data is available in a browser, my backup PC and IOS.  Can't search file contents in the browser or IOS, only titles, but that is okay for my use case.

To be clear, I did not want to leave EN.  Legacy was my hub.  But it was apparent that V10 was not going to work for me so I rolled my own.  Not for everyone  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/19/2023 at 5:03 AM, eric99 said:

When I left EN I purchased Directory Opus, a File Explorer on steroids plus piece of software.  I use it as a gateway to the repository I created from my EN notes.  It even kind of looks like EN with a folder and saved search left panel, a file list middle panel, and a display right panel

Thanks for the mention of Directory Opus @eric99: my renewal for Copernic is coming up and Directory Opus sounds like a better full-text search app!

FYI, I will be testing Joplin Cloud soon to see if the test notes I have exported from EN Legacy to Joplin will sync properly to the Joplin App! If all works fine, I will export all from Legacy, test  again ... and hopefully break the cord!

37 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

Thanks for the mention of Directory Opus @eric99: my renewal for Copernic is coming up and Directory Opus sounds like a better full-text search app!

FYI, I will be testing Joplin Cloud soon to see if the test notes I have exported from EN Legacy to Joplin will sync properly to the Joplin App! If all works fine, I will export all from Legacy, test  again ... and hopefully break the cord!

It was CalS' idea for Directory Opus, he's the expert...

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, eric99 said:

It was CalS' idea for Directory Opus, he's the expert...

Thanks @CalS!

Re this

On 9/19/2023 at 10:40 AM, CalS said:

To be clear, I did not want to leave EN.  Legacy was my hub.  But it was apparent that V10 was not going to work for me so I rolled my own.  Not for everyone

Exactly the same here. Except that I am testing Joplin. Imports are perfect (but slow) unlike other potential EN replacements I have tested.

My next step is to test the Joplin Cloud and sync with the Joplin Apps.

John

• Like 1
On 9/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, johnm243 said:

My next step is to test the Joplin Cloud and sync with the Joplin Apps.

Actually, I didn't need to pay for the Joplin Cloud: I configured Joplin to use my Dropbox account for data. I now have 3 computers and the Joplin App for Android all using Dropbox as the data repository. Sync for new and modified notes is perfect.

Before I start to import everything from EN, the next step will be to force conflicts in notes and see how Joplin reacts...

• Like 1
On 5/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, s2sailor said:

Slightly off topic, but I suspect this is why local notebooks were never included in the v10 roadmap and why we won’t see them come back.  It must have been a support nightmare.  Much simpler to manage if all data is server side.  I would have liked to have seen encrypted notebooks added, but the focus appears to be ai, so I’m not holding out any hope for that.

Lack of local notebooks is the reason I terminated my paid Evernote subscription have started migrating my local notes to other solutions.  I would gladly resume my subscription with the functionality supported in the new clients.  There is some data that I simply am not willing to trust to the cloud and I am perfectly find with sitting on my local system not being synchronized among devices.  If Evernote is not hearing this from some of their customers or deciding to ignore this opportunity, it makes me sad, but also makes Evernote dead to me.

On 9/15/2023 at 6:18 PM, tuulikki said:

Just ignore that guy and you won't see his posts.

He was extremely rude towards me last year when I said v10 was not great because I wanted a feature - to see notes without previews, just a detailed list of notes that I can sort in various ways.

Many people were also looking for this feature, but he came to the thread and was extremely crude and abrasive about it, saying that nobody wants this feature even though many were supporting the thread with likes and comments. 

After ignoring that guy to make his posts invisible, this forum is significantly less annoying.

• Like 1

Hello Evernote community. 

I've been using EN for about 4-5 years now and still on Legacy version.    Apologies for request for spoon feeding but this is my first time reading EN forums and I am frankly overwhelmed.  

The reason I've been deferring the EN update is because of Local Notebooks.   Personally I don't like posting some of my private data into cloud and I understand this option is no longer available with new EN version.  

I want the ability to scan documents, store them locally and have the ability to search OCR scans for any text string.   Evernote scan snap with Fujitsu scanner did just that. 

This morning I see a message that my EN Legacy will stop working unless I upgrade.    My EN subscription is due in December.    

Can someone kindly please confirm if there is a way to store  notes on local drive and not in EN cloud after I upgrade? 

Regards

• Level 5
18 hours ago, fuchsfr said:
On 5/4/2023 at 4:25 AM, Nux said:

Your greatest advantage of doing quick notes that get synchronized to all devices is broken

Is this still true?

I'll let @Nux respond if they care too, but this thread, like Evernote itself, has taken many turns since early May. Frankly I'm not sure that blanket statement was really accurate, but things were a mess that month for sure. 5 months later, I easily take a note on my Android phone and find it on my laptop seconds later (and vice versa), and can work on the same note on either device (or both) and watch edits appear almost instantaneously on the other.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2023 at 7:42 AM, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for the interest in another app.

What about leaving this lovely place now, and go looking for answers in a Joplin community ?

How about he stay and keep providing good alternatives as the devs have decided to nuke their product.

• Thanks 3
  • Level 5

Need somebody to hold your hand ?

It is normal that you search for solutions in the forum of the app that you want to check out. This forum has always been generous in providing assistance to leave EN - we are users here, and we share what may help other users, into, within and outward.

But this is still a forum dedicated to the EN range of products and services. A dilution of this focus is not in the interest of the users coming here for answers.

Especially not if the „advise“ is posted in bad faith.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Celedon said:
On 9/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for the interest in another app.

What about leaving this lovely place now, and go looking for answers in a Joplin community ?

How about he stay and keep providing good alternatives as the devs have decided to nuke their product.

Why pick out a post from almost 3 weeks ago to raise an issue about? The previous poster had asked detailed questions about whether Joplin works offline, how it synchronizes, and how much it costs. Those are obviously questions to ask on Joplin's forums, not these. Where's the problem?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Why pick out a post from almost 3 weeks ago to raise an issue about? The previous poster had asked detailed questions about whether Joplin works offline, how it synchronizes, and how much it costs. Those are obviously questions to ask on Joplin's forums, not these. Where's the problem?

Actually, this forum is called Evernote Legacy. So, for those of us who prefer Legacy, this is the appropriate place for comments about alternatives...

On 9/24/2023 at 2:45 PM, johnm243 said:

Actually, I didn't need to pay for the Joplin Cloud: I configured Joplin to use my Dropbox account for data. I now have 3 computers and the Joplin App for Android all using Dropbox as the data repository. Sync for new and modified notes is perfect.

Before I start to import everything from EN, the next step will be to force conflicts in notes and see how Joplin reacts...

I changed the same note twice in Joplin seconds apart: on my desktop machine and on the Joplin App for Android. Joplin created a folder for conflicts and added the first note to it. So all is good with regards to conflicts!

Last week, I sent this note to Evernote Support and asked if they were going to deprecate Legacy soon:

---
I am now getting a message saying This version of the app is outdated. You need to install the latest version to keep using Evernote.
---

The response was:

---
We'd like to confirm you that we haven't set a deadline for the decommissioning legacy clients, that will therefore continue working as usual.

However, we strongly recommend to update to the latest version, since we do not plan to release security improvements and new features, nor we plan to fix bugs and incompatibilities with future OS versions.

---

Now that all of my Joplin tests have been completed, I am planning on moving to Joplin on the weekend!

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, johnm243 said:

… all is good with regards to conflicts!

All is good if no conflicts can arise. What you describe is the old syncing method, obviously still in use there. It always syncs a full note / file. State of the Art maybe 2010.

Just a remark, if you can live with it … 

• Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 11:27 PM, PinkElephant said:

In fact I feel quite fed up by all the late starters, who didn‘t follow 3 years of development and now explain to us why legacy is so superior.

You're basically saying that before I'm entitled to using V10 I should have read 3 yrs. of forum content to know what actally works, what is broken (again) and what essential features will never come to V10, with about 50% of posts from you mocking or ridiculing people complaining about missing essentials?

Judging from the issues popping up V10 is an early beta at most and I wouldn't trust it with critical data. 

I tried to switch three times over the past years and every time I had to stop due to lost notes, lost note contents and e.g. images gone in all current  clients which absolutely raised my blood pressure.

@Federico Simionato

How about leaving users like me, who are absolutely happy with legacy, alone, set up some separate sync servers for this and try and make V10 a stable product?

That way BS wouldn't have the issue of having to drag legacy file formats along and people like you who enjoy V10 don't have to bother with legacy users

• Level 5

Just go ahead - there is a lot for you to learn here 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

or here

https://youtube.com/@evernote?si=PHW-dRlodCtYTQYJ

You should take into account that we are other users, being here on our free time and free decision. Those of us with a higher count of posts invested more time to help others, and usually have more to share.

If you have questions, feel welcome. But accept that there are questions that would not be posted with a little own research. We are not your answering machine, so I don’t think it is asking too much to do your homework before expecting others to do it for you.

If you just want to tell everybody how great legacy is, and how bad v10, you may find friends. And you may get answers you don’t like. 

Keep in mind most of us use v10 since years. You are the person who needs to explain why YOUR personal demand is so essential that NOBODY including us can do without. Because we do without since long, in most cases.

For any change demand contact support - that’s not us, as explained above.

Why not ask customers who wants to stay on legacy for the time being?

This would show if it is just me and three other guys who want to kerp legacy for the time being or if there is a broader appeal in the user base?

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you just want to tell everybody how great legacy is, and how bad v10, you may find friends. And you may get answers you don’t like. 

No, absolutely not. I' talking about basic functionality and data safety. I haven't even begun to talk features.

There was a post this summer that sync finally worked - 3 yrs. after v10 was released.

Now there are posts that images won't show, which seems to back my concerns.

>>You are the person who needs to explain why YOUR personal demand is so essential that NOBODY including us can do without. <<

So proper syncing and data integrity is a personal demand that I have to explain?

This is beyond ridiculous.

If I had 100+ cooking recipes stored in EN I would probably agree, but then again I wouldn't have been a prime member for 13+ years.

Maybe you shouldn't comment to this thread at all...

• Level 5

Legacy is based on a data structure that is not compatible with RTE syncing, which is the platform for all current v10 clients.

This means every sync with legacy needs a data conversion on the server. This means additional stress on the server. And it blocks the development of the server backend in terms of reliability and performance.

That‘s what I understood from the prior and the current management’s explanations. Assuming it’s true (and there is no indication it’s not), it is a necessary step to cut the legacy syncing interface, and rid the server from a ton of old code. Code that can’t be maintained any more, and is only a burden.

Evernote guys. you obviously fighing with people who wants to use legacy to not to bring it back. What don't you make a alternative version to your latest version by making a legacy UI ?

• Like 2
On 10/3/2023 at 6:16 AM, johnm243 said:

I changed the same note twice in Joplin seconds apart: on my desktop machine and on the Joplin App for Android. Joplin created a folder for conflicts and added the first note to it. So all is good with regards to conflicts!

You can do that same test in v10 and it will make the changes in real time in both notes at the same time. No conflicts. No duplicates. It’s pretty slick. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, onrb said:

alternative version to your latest version by making a legacy UI

Thank you but that was not what I meant. I would like to be using Legacy 'as is' until V10 is stable enough to be trusted with relevant data.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Thank you but that was not what I meant. I would like to be using Legacy 'as is' until V10 is stable enough to be trusted with relevant data.

Yes, I want actually do the same thing!

Please reopen legacy, we know what we do and LOVE legacy version of Evernote!

To the Evernote Team...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dear evernote hipsters,
Just let legacy be for unsynchronized notebooks.
Just allow login and using unsynchronized notebooks.

Thanks.

PS: It's sad to see what evernote was and what it has become. Makes me not trust mankind.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, onrb said:

Please reopen legacy, we know what we do and LOVE legacy version of Evernote!

Legacy hasn't gone yet. Your can continue to use it. But it will go sooner or later. So make a plan for your future.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, grotesque said:

time for hipsters to party

There is no party. It was some great software and it lasted for a long time. Much longer than many other softwares. How about we pour one out instead?

• Level 5
5 hours ago, Feitz said:

As it currently is. For me at least, and apparently for a lot of other people.

3 hours ago, grotesque said:

PS: It's sad to see what evernote was and what it has become. Makes me not trust mankind.

Personally, I look around the world and see a very, very very, great many things that make me not trust mankind way more than Evernote changing. (For the better, IMHO, but who wants to hear that?)

• Like 2
On 9/20/2023 at 6:53 AM, johnm243 said:

Joplin looked really promising at first, especially in how easy exporting and importing was.  It doesn't search your PDF's that are attached though, that's a deal breaker for me.  Is there  a way to make that work with Joplin (I OCR all my documents as I scan them)?  Are there any other good replacement candidates?

On 10/2/2023 at 1:30 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Because his post interested me and helped me and I found his beratement for providing it rude and unneccessary.  As do I find the beratement I received rude and unnecessary.  And as this is a forum that answers people's problems and is here forever, I didn't notice it was from three weeks ago.  

Because I only come when I have a problem.  Not to live here and berate people.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, agsteele said:

Legacy hasn't gone yet. Your can continue to use it. But it will go sooner or later. So make a plan for your future.

Why don't you listen the user needs? And it is gone, I cannot login anymore on legacy app