Evernote Legacy

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I’ve no sympathy if I’m honest. Any person paying hard earned money for software they know is unsupported and could close at ANY moment either has more money than I do and don’t see that as a worry or needs their spending supervised. 

Not something I would do, or did I suppose. But they were paying for an active service and using active though unsupported software. Culpability for customer and company. Bad bet staying with legacy this long, bad practice setting a 30 day date certain window. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

Okay. Does that mean when someone has been adding and editing off line, performing tasks like you’re doing, they return to chaos?  That would be a PITA. 

Oups - have to correct me a bit because of a thinking fail: I thought of disconnecting internet after I've assigned the tags 😞

Cutting of the internet just before working like this might help - I'll try this. Even if I will not like it. During such offline times, I cannot browse the web, receive eMails, ...

• Level 5*
Just now, AlbertR said:

Oups - have to correct me a bit because of a thinking fail: I thought of disconnection internet after I've assigned the tags 😞

Cutting of the internet just before working like this might help - I'll try this. Even if I will not like it. During such offline times, I cannot browse the web, receive eMails, ...

Can you focus on the changes and then reconnect to minimize other app disruption?  Would be interesting to know if any impact, plus or minus. 

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

…. says a user who following his own words sticked with legacy. In other words: Hearsay, combined with prejudice.

You're making false assumptions and spread utter BS as usual when someone is not happy with V10.

I have a M1 Mac Mini running V10 on Ventura/Sonoma since the introduction of Ventura in October '22. Since it has a gorgeous 43" screen I tried to use V10 on that machine multiple times but always ran into issues that made me return to my Monterey MacBook Pro and Legacy. i simply don't want to put up with duplicate notes, disappearing attachments, miraculously disappearing content (all acknowledged issues, not just fantasies of a Legacy user). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sync in v10 was plagued by the same basic illness as legacy, always trying to sync the whole note.

.. but at least this was working... With 7.14 I had no problems whatsoever since it came out, no lost contents, no duplicates, nothing. What is the point of a more 'modern' solution that doesn't work properly (for my type of work of course)? 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, CalS said:

Can you focus on the changes and then reconnect to minimize other app disruption?  Would be interesting to know if any impact, plus or minus. 

Confusing:

• I went offline
  • assigned tag ">>6" to some notes
  • navitated to other notes (changed notes are not seen in note list)
  • reconnected to iNet

==> Error came up because any note has an open RTE room 😞

Next try:

• the same but closed EN before reconnecting to iNet (to view execution of the Receipe)

==> All OK (because EN closes all rooms on exit?)

So OK, theoretical WAR (WordARound) found - but unusable. It's unpredictable how long I should wait to re-open EN because Receipes work on foreign servers... It's a bad solution to close/open an App to avoid its fails.

And: during my offline-tests I found many notes beeing not synced - after at least 3 weeks of working with this account (of 11.400 notes). I really need an indicator to see whether EN is able to work offline (means: "all syncs done"!)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

But somebody who stook bd while all that was described/discussed/complained here and sent to support can know!

Again this is BS. I opened several tickets with EN and some with BS, NONE of the EN tickets were even answered apart from a canned reply, and only one ticket with BS was solved (within 2 days, I was lucky). 

If you base your rants against other users on false assumptions your hit rate will be low.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Feitz said:
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

But somebody who stook by while all that was described/discussed/complained here and sent to support can know!

Again this is BS. ...

Yep - was a reply to PEs last sentence and should emphasize exactly that 😉 - sorry.

4 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Yep - was a reply to PEs last sentence and should emphasize exactly that 😉 - sorry.

Oh, sorry, I quoted your quote instead of the original rant, sorry for that...

Is it possible to configure Regedit to keep the old version offline while running both systems in parallel, with the new version online and the old version offline?

7 hours ago, pkill said:

Is it possible to configure Regedit to keep the old version offline

I think - no. We do not know any keys to change online settings (like server name or any other related switches). But it's a good idea 😉

@all: Is any Windows/networking crack here who knows how to cut an application off from internet while Windows itself (and all other apps) keeps beeing online?

I just made a quick test: I exited Legacy, went offline, started Legacy - No problem (as assumed 😉). Exporting notebooks and any other operation are OK.

I tried this with EN10: Start was OK - but exporting one or more notes that contain attachments is impossible. EN10 needs an internet connection - WHY? Data (note content and attachment) is available 🤔

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, pkill said:

Is it possible to configure Regedit to keep the old version offline while running both systems in parallel, with the new version online and the old version offline?

Probably not.  BS says they will block legacy starting 3/24 and seem to be doing already, accidental or otherwise.  A way to possibly use EN with legacy for a longer term would be to turn off your internet connection before starting the app.  After x'ing out of closing, NEVER logging out, start your internet connection again.  Not logging out was a standard practice back when to be sure one had access when out of internet coverage.  Be sure you are logged in before you start any of this.

3 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

@all: Is any Windows/networking crack here who knows how to cut an application off from internet while Windows itself (and all other apps) keeps being online?

A firewall rule can be created or a simpler way is to switch to airplane mode.  Risk is you forget and open EN legacy then BS logs you out.

IAC, this is a short term legacy transition to whatever solution, my view.  Or a longer term backup source.  Too rickety for much else.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5
13 hours ago, BLK Dragon said:

BTW v10 is still doesn't open attached file with double-click or right-click menu - you have to open it in internal viewer and from there you can click-click-click open file (image for example) with app you need. Usability my a$$.

Also I know about 'hidden' refresh/reload commands in v10 - tried to used them on macbook at work - and they seemed to do nothing. So I prefer to have 'sync' button and sync (or NOT sync) when needed.

Just on these 2 points: On an image, I can right-click and select Open, and it opens in the system default image app; or Save As to, you know.... Other options too, of course. Same with a PDF or Word doc. In fact, I just checked, and a double-click opens any of those attachments in the default app.

The reason the refresh/reload commands seem to do nothing may be that there's nothing for them to do. For me, they do refresh the app (its window flashes and reappears). Honestly, I've wished for a long time that Evernote would put a dummy Sync button in the interface, just to give people something to click so they'd feel secure. As for not syncing except when clicked ... where I live we have power failures once in awhile; sometimes I push my device to the edge of its battery and a leetle bit beyond. I'm real glad to have Evernote sync all the time and not wait for me to click.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CalS said:

A firewall rule can be created or a simpler way is to switch to airplane mode.  Risk is you forget and open EN legacy then BS logs you out.

Airplane mode is not a good solution. You take all your apps to the airplane.
Can firewall rules encapsulate only specific apps to airplane mode?

2 hours ago, CalS said:

IAC, this is a short term legacy transition to whatever solution, my view.

Yep - nothing of real benefit to work with...

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Or a longer term backup source.  Too rickety for much else.  🤷‍♂️

Best solution as a backup source for any reason might be to have a read-only sync. But I think EN will not do this 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

I tried this with EN10: Start was OK - but exporting one or more notes that contain attachments is impossible. EN10 needs an internet connection - WHY? Data (note content and attachment) is available 🤔

Does anyone have an explanation?

• Level 5
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

@all: Is any Windows/networking crack here who knows how to cut an application off from internet while Windows itself (and all other apps) keeps being online?

Could tell ... but Mac users only.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Airplane mode is not a good solution. You take all your apps to the airplane.
Can firewall rules encapsulate only specific apps to airplane mode?

Firewall rules can prevent specific apps from accessing the internet.  Not really airplane mode.  Have to be careful since if you don't have the rule running when you fire up Legacy you will start syncing and may get logged out by the server, post 3/23.

I think Airplane mode would be fine for ad hoc lookups and a place to keep the data with better conversion tools during a transition.  I probably have the Windows Instructions somewhere, it's been a minute since I created the rule.

• Level 5*

Can we get a code of conduct or some rules in this forum that are enforced when personal attacks are just tossed around. It happens too often and some more moderation is really needed to punish those who think it's ok to personally attack other users.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Can we get a code of conduct or some rules in this forum that are enforced when personal attacks are just tossed around. It happens too often and some more moderation is really needed to punish those who think it's ok to personally attack other users.

I just scanned this thread and I’m not seeing any personal attacks??

They happen occasionally and the more egregious ones get zapped after a few warnings.  Personally, I don’t think more moderation is needed.  There is a lot of anger currently due to the changes, but I expect that will settle down after the cut off date has passed a bit.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I just scanned this thread and I’m not seeing any personal attacks??

They happen occasionally and the more egregious ones get zapped after a few warnings.  Personally, I don’t think more moderation is needed.  There is a lot of anger currently due to the changes, but I expect that will settle down after the cut off date has passed a bit.

I saw a few users make some pretty nasty comments about @PinkElephant a few posts up. I've seen similar posts targeting them over the last few days.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Most of these tend to be kicked off by responses that are, or at least can be interpreted as somewhat caustic.  More tempered responses would minimize this IMO.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Most of these tend to be kicked off by responses that are, or at least can be interpreted as somewhat caustic.  More tempered responses would minimize this IMO.

Fair enough. I just feel like the community here is very tense and angry. Productivity shouldn't be so stressful. I'm going to have to take a break from these forums for a bit and when the atmosphere is a little more pleasant I'll revisit.

• Like 5

KI - Regedit 

Yes, it is possible to achieve this configuration in Regedit. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Open Regedit by pressing Windows Key + R, then typing "regedit" and pressing Enter.
2. Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options.
3. Right-click on the "Image File Execution Options" key and select "New" > "Key" to create a new key.
4. Name the new key after the executable file of the old version that you want to keep offline (e.g., old_version.exe).
5. Right-click on the newly created key and select "New" > "String Value".
6. Rename this string value as "Debugger".
7. Double-click on the newly created string value ("Debugger") and set its value data as "%1".

By following these steps, whenever you try to launch the old_version.exe, it will automatically trigger a debugger (%1), causing it not to run.

Please note that modifying settings in Regedit can have serious consequences for your system if done incorrectly. It is recommended to back up your registry before making any changes or consult with a professional if you are unsure about what you're doing
  • Like 1

If the old version continues to run (OFFLINE), only the .enex needs to be kept up to date.🤔

Are we getting paid to think about it? It costs the company time and money to find an appropriate solution. 😔

• Level 5
3 hours ago, pkill said:

If the old version continues to run (OFFLINE), only the .enex needs to be kept up to date.🤔

Are we getting paid to think about it? It costs the company time and money to find an appropriate solution. 😔

You can do any personal project to play with your data after legacy stops syncing. I don’t see any use case for this, because the syncing of content is at the heart of what makes up EN.

But feel free. If you mean EN by „the company“, you are wrong with the assumption that anything cost them time and money. They close the server access on the announced date, and be done.

They will use the move to save money, on storage volume, on system maintenance and on dev hours wasted on keeping the old system connected to the modern database driving the current client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
53 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I  don’t see any use case for this, because the syncing of content is at the heart of what makes up EN.

But feel free. If you mean EN by „the company“, you are wrong with the assumption that anything cost them time and money. They close the server access on the announced date, and be done.

They will use the move to save money, on storage volume, on system maintenance and on dev hours wasted on keeping the old system connected to the modern database driving the current client.

Not the best nor long term use case, but maybe for a procrastinator to use legacy to port their data, particularly if access is being shutdown before next month re other posts.  

May not be any storage savings until BS eliminates free.  Static Free accounts are still accessible via V10 Web?  I’m fairly sure. 

• Level 5

Storage savings will result when the keeping of data for legacy and v10/RTE can be abandoned.

The incompatible data structure leads to keep things twice - whenever a user is running on legacy and v10 (for example on mobile or web) in parallel.

No idea how significant this will be, but I think it has an impact.

• Level 5

Whatever. If I would be running a cloud service in todays internet environment, and I knew that there are clients out there, unpatched since 4 years, running on computers with "Oldie but Goldie" OS like Windows 7, I would have sleepless nights until that leak called "Legacy API" is taken offline.

They have described the expected gains pretty clear in their blog post. For everybody to read 

https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning

Hello,

One question please:
I received notification that Evernote Legacy will be permanently shut down on March 23, 2024.

I use Android 8. An update to Android 9 is not offered.

Could someone please let me, if there is a way to continue using Evernote on mobile after March 23, 2024?

If that's not possible, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a note-taking software / app that's as similar as possible to Evernote Legacy?

Thanks!

• Level 5

The minimum system requirement for the modern v10 client is Android 9 (it used to be Android 10, but they lowered this by one notch). The only solution is to get a device running on Android 9 or above.

No idea about other note taking apps on Android. On iOS it is pretty simple, because the OS already brings a quite usable note taking app.

14 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I saw a few users make some pretty nasty comments about @PinkElephant a few posts up. I've seen similar posts targeting them over the last few days.

Pink Elephant doesn't suffer fools very easily.  He has close to 25,000 posts and is an absolutely invaluable contributor to this forum.  However, even some of his "spicier" posts are immensely entertaining and part of the enjoyment of being on the forum.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5
35 minutes ago, Regor said:

Hello,

One question please:
I received notification that Evernote Legacy will be permanently shut down on March 23, 2024.

Could someone please let me, if there is a way to continue using Evernote on mobile after March 23, 2024?

If that's not possible, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a note-taking software / app that's as similar as possible to Evernote Legacy?

Thanks!

I don't know what phone you're using, but if it won't update to at least Android 9, it won't be able to run up-to-date Evernote.

As for alternatives, it would help to know what your uses for Evernote are. If you only want to use it on that phone, then there are lots of localized note apps. I like ColorNote. Of course Samsung has its own note apps for their devices. But if you want to sync notes from that phone to other devices without Evernote, something in Google's offerings (Docs, Keep, etc.) might work. But there is nothing really similar to Evernote, AFAIK. Others may have better ideas.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The incompatible data structure leads to keep things twice - whenever a user is running on legacy and v10 (for example on mobile or web) in parallel.

Not that it matters, and I really don’t know, but I was under the impression they converted between note formats as needed and didn’t save the info twice.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I think it actually does store data, when you move between client generations.

And there will be little legacy desktop users who still fiddle with legacy mobile. On iOS it is impossible since long, and I doubt on Android many are actually downloading apps from "alternative" sources. So if you run legacy desktop and mobile v10, you cause a permanent flow of conversions to and fro. 

I don't think an account is really doing this on the fly all of the time. Especially the metadata used for search and similar must be duplicated - you can't rebuild them permanently.

56 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The minimum system requirement for the modern v10 client is Android 9 (it used to be Android 10, but they lowered this by one notch). The only solution is to get a device running on Android 9 or above.

No idea about other note taking apps on Android. On iOS it is pretty simple, because the OS already brings a quite usable note taking app.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

As for alternatives, it would help to know what your uses for Evernote are. If you only want to use it on that phone, then there are lots of localized note apps. I like ColorNote. Of course Samsung has its own note apps for their devices. But if you want to sync notes from that phone to other devices without Evernote, something in Google's offerings (Docs, Keep, etc.) might work. But there is nothing really similar to Evernote, AFAIK. Others may have better ideas.

Thank's for the tipps!
I would like to be able to continue syncing between a Windows PC and Android.
It doesn't have to be a standalone program.
Input via the web browser would be enough for me.

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, Regor said:

Thank's for the tipps!
I would like to be able to continue syncing between a Windows PC and Android.
It doesn't have to be a standalone program.
Input via the web browser would be enough for me.

OK. Google services would actually do that. But then your stuff is in Google. Evernote, as far as I know, still doesn't work in a browser on Android, at least not without clunky workarounds. There are large threads in these forums on alternatives to Evernote. Your best bet would probably be to make lunch, search for them, and have a long, relaxing meal while you read through. 😁

• Like 1

Thanks!
I meant the following:
Web browser on the PC and app on the smartphone.
I'll then look around for an alternative.
Google is too playful for me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The web browser may still have a legacy option (classical client or so), but I doubt it will survive the cut off of legacy.

The new web client is v10 desktop minus a few functions, and quite capable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 minute ago, Regor said:

I don't necessarily need Legacy.

Fair enough. I just wanted to mention to (maybe) other forum users that the legacy trait on the web client should not be seen as a safe haven.

• Like 1

Looks like BS are now just messing around with access to my data via Legacy!  Both my PCs had this popup, won't accept my password & won't sync again today.  What is going on?

Legacy logon error Feb 27.jpg

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, enfan-01 said:

Looks like BS are now just messing around with access to my data via Legacy!  Both my PCs had this popup, won't accept my password & won't sync again today.  What is going on?

What message do you get when you input your password?  There were problems yesterday with Legacy folks having trouble accessing their accounts and then it later cleared up.  Maybe back again??

On 2/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, enfan-01 said:

FYI: Legacy is now syncing again for me also, so they must have changed something.

It won't accept my password, just like previously, except now it's a slightly different message popup.  Sure seems like somebody at BS is flipping switches getting ready for Mar 23rd.  Either that or just trying to piss us off!!

2 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

I think you are staying in a lane.  EN is excellent as a Librarian and for your use case EN works well. Based on the diversity of the assets you are storing EN makes it easy.  So why are you taking offence and why are you in the Legacy discussion?  This forum is for people who Legacy is the only solution based on their use case.  When I like something, I don't go to the forums and defend it, life is too short.  Go live your best life.

Trying to be supportive because I understand the frustration. I loved Legacy and I loved my 6 win 7 desktops at my office. Legacy started to misbehave with win 7 and I was forced to upgrade to v10 which also worked poorly on win 7. Finally, I was compelled to upgrade all 6 desktops to win 10 and to accept v10 into my life. In the process my trusty, old paid-for Adobe X and Quicbooks 9 wouldn’t work well on win 10 and I was forced into their newer, crappier and predatory annual subscriptions. So the arrival of v10 cost me thousands of dollars and I also hated it. After griping and seething  I simply had to accept it and change my workflow. Long story short, overall very happy with it now and looking forward to more improvements.  I hope this story is helpful to others who may also be in a similar situation.  

• Like 4

FYI for anyone else struggling with Legacy log in problems.  Despite being a long-term paying user legitimately running Legacy until Mar. 23rd, I have received zero usable help from support for multiple requests.

19 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

Legacy logon error Feb 27.jpg

I thought I'd try logging into v10 & see what it said & was surprised to see that it forced me to change my password.  Once I did that however, I was able to log into both versions on both my PCs.

EN v10 login fail Feb 28.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Just for the complete picture: All legacy clients are unsupported since October 2020.

You can take "unsupported" literally !

There had been times in between when support did in fact advise to use legacy, without officially promoting the use. But this time is over, I think.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 1:28 PM, Regor said:

Hello,

One question please:

Thanks!

Try UpNote app

Best Notes App - Write and Organize with UpNote (getupnote.com)

UpNote is a perfect alternative for EN and has one extra thing that is the best: spaces

Organize with spaces | UpNote User Guide (getupnote.com)

A tip from another subscriber. 

fuchsfr , You're the best user. 

I'll share the tips above with you, too!

Those of you who value legacy will understand.  
image.png.681e1fdb0f813e4046d8b13966048b49.png

• Like 3

Do you expect the world to be a better place without legacy?

Not at all. If the legacy app is gone, the new version may not last as long.

I think this is bad news for all users. 

• Like 1

Why did my subscription almost double this year.   That is outragious to jump that much from one year to the next.  So sad that corporations keep making bundles and while raising fees like doubling in one year.  I will start looking to see what else is out there.  It seem like Evernote is upsetting alot of people for more than one reason.  Hmmm.  Maybe the beginning of the end for Evernote.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Boudreaux Associates said:

raising fees like doubling in one year.

Yep - doubling in one year is hard. But if you count all the years with no price increases, the raise is not that outstanding...

I will start looking to see what else is out there.

I would save the time (my opinion). It has been tried by many other - with less success. If you're an EN user over a long time, you it's very hard to find a real replacement.

It seem like Evernote is upsetting alot of people for more than one reason.  Hmmm.  Maybe the beginning of the end for Evernote.

I don't think so. Really upsetted people have been using free accounts with no income for Evernote. No income -> no future. Stable income -> bright future 😉 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
Just now, Boudreaux Associates said:

You must work for Evernote.

🙂 No, sorry. Paying user with hope to get as productive as in the past... 

• Like 3