Evernote Legacy

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

• Level 5

The text of the message indeed is misleading. But if v10 is now installed, why not give it a try ? Legacy can be installed on the same machine side by side - the installer needs to be obtained through support.

Free users have yet another problem: Each install is counted as a device, even when on the same physical computer.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2023 at 5:05 PM, agsteele said:

You should use the time that you have to make a plan for the transition you will need to undertake. My sense is that there are months rather than years before the so called Legacy applications will be withdrawn completely.

If legacy stops working, my next transition will be to a new platform.

In the new version:

• Offline rarely works, notes are stuck loading. This happens now on iPad all the time and is very frustrating.
  • No table of contents.
  • Left clicking files in Evernote for Windows desktop brings up a save file screen vs. just opening the file! I have to right click and scan through context menus. No thanks.
  • All the bloat that distracts from what I want to do - Make notebooks and save notes, is not welcome.

I'm starting suspect Legacy could be winding down due to the un-dismissible upgrade prompts, and the removal of the download page. I pay for two premium subscriptions, but first signs I see of legacy going away I'm out.

• Like 6
  • Level 5

My impression is you don't know, and you don't want to know. On what I am posting now there are help documents and YT tutorials available for all who want to learn. You should make use of them and not simply believe that everything beyond legacy would be *****. Just the opposite, legacy is looking stale and lacking features these days.

• No TOC - wrong. Select a number of notes, select the 3 dots from the little "Multinote-Menu" popping up, select Copy Internal links, select App link, go to the note where you want to place the TOC, Paste, done.
    v10 offers Backlinks on every pin led note, a more than useful feature because it allows to easily navigate in both directions between notes and TOC note. Something legacy hasn't got, and will never get.
  • Open a file - Not sure about Windows, on a Mac a double click opens the file in your standard app for the file format - if defined (which is not of ENs making). If it doesn't,  just a right click, choose open will open it. Or pick open from the little menu that shows on top of the attachment frame.
  • What you may call bloat is useful to others. You are not the only person using this service.
  • Offline download on iOS is better than it ever was. Better control, faster download, and a new nice visual control about what is currently the status of every single note.

There is currently a lagging problem when opening notes - it is known, and EN works on it. I book it under toothing problems of the new syncing concept, that has made an end to conflict notes. Hopefully it will get solved quick, it is a real PITA when in a hurry.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Thundarr said:

now searching for a download link for a non-crippled version of Evernote that still has tabs.

Try filehippo

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, Thundarr said:

My workflow involves tabs. Tabs are a basic feature of every major notetaking app on the market — except yours.

Now I'm uninstalling Evernote and looking for an old version of Evernote Legacy. If I can't find one, I leave Evernote. Fortunately your competitors have a smooth migration pathway.

Stop forcing stupid design decisions on your users. Bring back tabs, or go away. I work on multiple notes at once. This isn't rocket science. It's a basic feature of desktop software since the 1990's.

@Thundarr, hopefully quoting Federico will bring his attention to your post. He also posted his email address at the end of the blog post in late April: https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/. Overall, directly addressing/ranting at Evernote here may not do much, though. Not saying your rant wasn't well-earned--sounds like the Mac "update" popup was worse than misleading.

As for tabs in Legacy, that was only ever available on Mac desktops, I believe. I would have liked tabs in v. 10 on Windows, had they brought them over from the Mac v. 6. (Why they didn't make into v. 10 I have no idea; some problem with the Electron framework?) I use tabs in a couple of non-Microsoft word processors, and they're great. So I'm not "anti-tab." But it's perfectly possible to open multiple notes at once in v. 10 (on desktops) by opening them in separate windows (from the 3 dots at top right of the note, or Ctrl/Cmd+Enter, double-click, or right-click on a note in a list). This way, you can not only work on multiple notes at once, but see them all at the same time.

"Stupid" is a matter of opinion, and pretty offensive, considering that "your users" include people who like some of these decisions, such as a uniform appearance across platforms. "Fails at my multitasking workflow" is not the same as "fails at multitasking workflows."

• Like 2

One big reason I prefer Legacy over v10 is that Legacy handles large notes (ie. > 30MB) with complete ease, there is no slowdown, no choking, no hanging.

But even on latest version of v10, even if I add a 10KB file to a large note, it always hangs for a few seconds on my very fast Mac Studio.

Sometimes it would completely hang and requires a restart of the app to make it work again.

Is anywhere else seeing something similar? Evernote support has asked me to reinstall v10 which I already did and it improved nothing. Also, if this issue is experienced by others, I really don't have time to do free troubleshooting for Evernote right now and would rather wait for it to be resolved in future versions, if ever.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2023 at 8:02 AM, EvernoteConnoisseur said:

But even on latest version of v10, even if I add a 10KB file to a large note, it always hangs for a few seconds on my very fast Mac Studio.

Sometimes it would completely hang and requires a restart of the app to make it work again.

This slowdown or choking happens on both my latest and fastest MacBook Pro and Mac Studio so I don't think is a machine-specific or corrupted database on a specific computer.

Evernote support is acting like they have never heard of this, so I am curious if any other users have experienced this?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN staff has commented on it recently here. They said they are working on the backend to bring reaction time back to normal.

Probably a load balancing now all users are on RTE. Hope they get a hold on it fast.

• Level 5

Before RTE, it was always a full note that was synced. This happened in larger intervals, but syncing large chunks of data. Which led to syncing conflicts, duplication and all these side effects, just in case it is already forgotten.

With RTE many more elements are saved, since each editing session resulting in a modified note is broken down in tiny elements, each of which needs to sync. And syncing must happen in near real time, because the next tiny sync will follow only a fraction of time later.

Sounds to me as the transmission and server load will be significantly different under RTE than with the classical syncing.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Before RTE, it was always a full note that was synced. This happened in larger intervals, but syncing large chunks of data. Which led to syncing conflicts, duplication and all these side effects, just in case it is already forgotten.

I was fortunate to have very few note conflicts.  I also had no data loss with the old sync.  With RTE, I’ve had numerous home page scratch pad conflicts, problems with recurring tasks and some data loss.  I’m not knocking RTE.  I believe it is the way forward, but they have numerous problems to work through that seen more severe than just load balancing.

• Like 2
On 5/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, PinkElephant said:

How long since you installed v10 ?

The client needs to download the content from the server. Keep it running (can be in the background) for a while. You can check in the task manager if there is ongoing network traffic of the EN app.

Hi, do you have an idea how long this updating is supposed to take? i tried leaving the new Evernote overnight (~8 hrs) but i just keep getting the spinning loading icon. I am worried my old screenshots, images, files, etc are lost

• Evernote Expert

The spinning icon can be the symptom of a number of issues. The good news is that it is unlikely that anything is lost since the notes are stored on the Evernote servers.

To reassure yourself login at evernote.com which will display whatever you have in your account. Indeed you can work from there.

The spinning icon can be an indication for users on a Free account that they have exceeded the maximum number of devices permitted (2). It can be an indication that the notes are stuck updating with the new Real Time Editing/Sync function. It can also be an indication that your local data is corrupted in some way.

Can you tell us which version of the app you have? What types of account you have? What you have been attempting which brought you to this problem you face?

• Like 1

The current version of EN is a piece of $%$^.

I can list 100 ways it is inferior to Legacy. Today working on another machine that has current loaded I tried a simple drag and drop of a frame-based email of text and images into a EN Note. The images pull over as links. Oh yea reminded of that problem.  UNACCEPTABLE. 

I am tempted to drive over to HQ and vent in person.

Do you really want to crash this company I have used since 2008? I think yes.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Your post is partially incomprehensible - you seem to believe everything has to work as you envisioned it. Nope, sometimes it's necessary to learn some new ways. No idea what caused the problem you describe - it likely has to do with the internal setup of that email. Modern emails are small websites, with embedded elements. If the pictures were embedded as links into the HTML-code of the email, they will be moved into EN as links, not with the content from the other end of the link.

As alternatives an Email can be clipped with the web clipper if you use a browser to open your mail account, or you can forward it to your own account mail address.

Don't like it ? Easy enough: Leave. Nobody points a gun to your head and forces you to stay.

• Like 1

My workflow from legacy. Copy each frame of text to a EN note. Then drag the first image from email to the EN Note, repeat. If that worked in Legacy why could that not follow through and work with the current? There are too many gotchas to using the current. Today in frustration I just download Legacy to this machine and did this workflow the way I have always done. I have invested a lot of time and money in this app. I want it to succeed. But saying ouch and swearing every ten seconds using the latest is just not right. And you all wonder why people still use Legacy. You couldn't pay me to use the current.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Because ... never mind.

I take a hammer and bump it on my finger. Hurts. That's interesting, I think, maybe it doesn't hurt every time ? Bump, bump, bump ...

That's the same with you. You know exactly what is not working, but instead of adapting your workflow, you rant along and do the same again. There are doors left and right, but you choose the wall in the middle, head on. Bump ...

v10 is not an iteration of legacy - given the broken code base of legacy, this was never an option, and we can be happy it wasn't. I don't want to imagine these guys starting to ***** around with code maybe 10 years old, not supported libraries behind it, undocumented twists, and this multiplied by 5, since there were 5 clients that had not much in common.

v10 is a new app. It is still evolving, and it already does many things legacy could never do. It still doesn't do anything legacy did, and most of what it doesn't do today, it will never do. It is completely unimportant what this is, we all had 30 months now to find out and adapt our workflows accordingly.

Don't like the result ? Leave. Or learn to live with it. Simple as that.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
55 minutes ago, caffeineplease said:

My workflow from legacy. Copy each frame of text to a EN note. Then drag the first image from email to the EN Note, repeat. If that worked in Legacy why could that not follow through and work with the current? There are too many gotchas to using the current. Today in frustration I just download Legacy to this machine and did this workflow the way I have always done. I have invested a lot of time and money in this app. I want it to succeed. But saying ouch and swearing every ten seconds using the latest is just not right. And you all wonder why people still use Legacy. You couldn't pay me to use the current.

Since you've got over 50 posts in these forums, you must know that they are mainly user to user. You are not venting/ranting or whatever at Evernote, only other users who cannot fix any problems, are not getting any money from you, and may or may not agree with your decisions.

Anyway, I get that the new version (for whatever necessary reasons there may be in its construction) doesn't work to get material out of emails as you were used to doing in Legacy. As @PinkElephant points out, it (like Legacy, I think) offers two much easier ways: forward the email to Evernote (if you have a paid subscription), or clip it with the Web clipper if using a browser to look at the email. We all developed workflows to use with Legacy, and it took some time to do so. Moving to v. 10 causes some new development of workflows, but workflows always have to evolve.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

The spinning icon can be the symptom of a number of issues. The good news is that it is unlikely that anything is lost since the notes are stored on the Evernote servers.

To reassure yourself login at evernote.com which will display whatever you have in your account. Indeed you can work from there.

The spinning icon can be an indication for users on a Free account that they have exceeded the maximum number of devices permitted (2). It can be an indication that the notes are stuck updating with the new Real Time Editing/Sync function. It can also be an indication that your local data is corrupted in some way.

Can you tell us which version of the app you have? What types of account you have? What you have been attempting which brought you to this problem you face?

Hi agsteele thanks for the super fast response. I am using a free account... If I have exceeded the maximum number of devices permitted, wouldn't I have been prohibited from accessing the app in the first place? Anyway, I checked and still only have 2 concurrent devices.

I am using Evernote v10.57.10. 

I have been attempting to switch to the new Evernote from Legacy but this syncing trouble has dissuaded me from fully migrating. The other day, Legacy prompted me to update and usually I am careful as I don't want to be inadvertently switched to the new version. But the phrasing of the update was somewhat confusing... Anyway I eventually agreed to the update, and now am "stuck" with the new version, praying my images from Legacy sync properly. 

Also something weird – after the update my dock icon has started showing the white/green logo but the name still says Evernote Legacy haha... 🤔

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.44.27 AM.png

I mean no ill will to you guys personally. I only wish to state my high displeasure of the direction the product has gone. The fact that so many still use Legacy (and not just for some small corner cases) should tell the company about its current product. 

BTW I use Mac Mail and I should not have to relearn or jigger my uses of the product adversely. 

The Notes were fine in Legacy. Now Clip Source Links, HTML Content, Tags now at the bottom. No longer Clicking from a Link and staying in that window. I could go on. I see that the latest has some new AI Cleanup tool. How about just switching off some ill-wanted stuff to start?  To me the classic fail is why the UI says "Only You" WTF.

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

@Mac109 Since you are on a Free plan you have the challenge of sorting this issue out without the ability to jump to other versions of the applications.

Your first option is to upgrade to the latest version of the v10 app. This is 10.58.3 Do you have the direct download or the App Store version? If the direct download, go to evernote.com and download the new version.

If you are using the App Store version then you will have to wait for the new version to arrive. Personally I'd advise against the App Store app. But you have to manage your apps carefully on a Free plan. You can only drop two apps in a month.

The key for you will be to review your account in the web.

Otherwise you can reinstall the Legacy version. It looks like you still have a remnant installed.

Links for the download are in many places in these forums including earlier in this thread.

• Level 5
13 hours ago, caffeineplease said:

To me the classic fail is why the UI says "Only You" WTF.

This TF: V. 10 now supports real-time editing, based on the new sync structure rolled out in early May (which has been causing a number of problems that are being addressed, and which Legacy does not support). RTE makes it possible for a note to be edited on more than one device at a time, and therefore by more than one user. "Only you" lets you know who is currently editing the note. If you collaborate with others, this will probably prove helpful. Even working alone, I was impressed one time when my computer crashed mid-edit, and when I opened another device (a laptop), there was the note in precisely the state I was editing it in.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Only you" lets you know who is currently editing the note. If you collaborate with others, this will probably prove helpful. Even working alone, I was impressed one time when my computer crashed mid-edit, and when I opened another device (a laptop), there was the note in precisely the state I was editing it in.

If I alone use my Evernote Notebook/notes then why is it even there. I get no comfort from seeing it there, only annoys me. 

BTW I was initially drawn to Evernote long ago (2 decades past), and its strident focus on syncing correctly - between devices. Back when I attended their user conferences.

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, caffeineplease said:

If I alone use my Evernote Notebook/notes then why is it even there. I get no comfort from seeing it there, only annoys me.

I guess because it is part of the standard interface now that RTE exists, and the interface simply cannot tell how many people may be sharing a note, or whether a particular user habitually works alone or collaborates. Don't know if you're familiar with Car Talk, a hilarious radio call-in show with automotive advice by two brothers, Ray and Tom Magliozzi. One of their standard pieces of advice was if an indicator light on the dashboard was annoying you, put a piece of black tape over it. Probably even they wouldn't recommend that for a computer screen though.

Does anyone else get logged out when doing batch operations in non-Legacy?

I like that there's a built-in import folders feature, but I have it set to import 100s of items at a time, which isn't even smoothly viable.

It's pretty awkward:

• I have the new (but not necessarily improved) Evernote running side-by-side with Legacy. Both apps open at once.
  • Viewed through the lens of various batch operations, you'd think Legacy is the newer one.
  • I continue to add tags to and move 100s of notes at once with Legacy, with ease.
  • When I flip over to Evernote, I can see the changes take awhile to propagate, very slowly, a few notes at a time. This isn't a more robust "all at once" sync as I'm accustomed to seeing in other apps.
  • The current Evernote client is still not practical for me to handle even a few dozen notes at a time. It'll regularly crawl, pause, and log me out. On occasion, it will even corrupt the database (ugh) and I have to redownload that.

As before, Evernote staff are welcome and encouraged to contact me for diagnostics. Don't think it's just me. I've reached out before but haven't had direct acknowledgment, just a "we'll pass it along..." type thing with no followup.

I've used Evernote since 2008, I reckon is longer than most here, so I've seen changes over the years. Been through a lot of other major platform changes, software and hardware. But as it stands, regardless of what their plans are, it's clear there's a lot of unhappiness and disappointment.

I've migrated more note/documentation stuff that isn't OCR-based to Notion which is great about making relations between notes/pages clear. I'd wholeheartedly recommend checking that out if it's a better fit for your workflow.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Import folders in v10 should be used with some moderation, from my experience. Drop 10 or maybe 20 files there, but no more. This depends on your computer and your internet connection.

Wait until the import has happened, drop more if you like to. Same reason as with multi note operations, the client imports and syncs to the server in one go.

Beside this, no issues on operations on multiple notes, like log out or similar. It is slower than legacy, because it syncs directly. If you want to speed up, go offline briefly, do the multi note operation (like tagging, moving or merging), and when done, go back online. This moves the sync after the actual operation.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:46 AM, caffeineplease said:

How about just switching off some ill-wanted stuff to start?

Unwanted by some, wanted by many.  If you don't want them, don't use them simple.  There are many things in numerous software programmes I don't want, but rather than rant about them, I just ignore them as I know there will be many users who like and use them

• Like 1
On 5/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Hello everybody!
We are actively working to update more and more customers from Legacy to the latest version of Evernote. Many don't even know they are using an unsupported version, so we are making that more evident through in-app communication and by testing a new update popup on Windows.

As part of that plan, we also removed the H&L article with links to the Legacy versions. The links remain available through Support in case people need them to fix some issues.

The Legacy versions remain available, and the download links continue to work, but we decided to make the download links less accessible at this time.

Hope this clarifies!

Sorry, but since 2020 now the "new" version of EN ist still not able to support drag and drop on Windows, a feature which is at least as old as the internet itself. I reported this issue back in 2021:

Seems there is still no solution for this. I have nearly 5000 notes now, most of them in parallel with OneNote notes since my company uses Microsoft tools. As soon as I am urged to use the new version and no longer able to copy my Evernotes over to OneNote Including attachments the correct way, I will stop paying my evernote subscription and search for a better solution.

I simply find it ridiculous that you suffer from daily featuritis and not able to do the kindergarden stuff.

• Like 2
On 5/3/2023 at 10:09 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Vast majority of legacy users don't know they are using legacy. More than two thirds of them never even installed v10. I saw this personally in many conversations: they think they are using "Evernote". But legacy is breaking more and more with each OS update.

Plus it makes backend teams worry about backwards compatibility. We need to speed up development and legacy is one thing preventing us from doing so.

@HeBoIz What's the key reason you use legacy vs v10?
I daily run v10 and occasionally try using legacy, but I can't stand it, it's too buggy.

This is the main reason for legacy, since 2020!

Vast majority of legacy users don't know they are using legacy. More than two thirds of them never even installed v10. I saw this personally in many conversations: they think they are using "Evernote". But legacy is breaking more and more with each OS update.

Plus it makes backend teams worry about backwards compatibility. We need to speed up development and legacy is one thing preventing us from doing so.

I daily run v10 and occasionally try using legacy, but I can't stand it, it's too buggy.

This is the main reason for legacy, since 2020!

• Level 5

Images can be copied to other apps - it’s wrong to tell otherwise.

Stick with the facts if you want to argue in favor of legacy. Which is nonsensical anyhow, legacy is de facto dead (with a long phasing out period) since it was deprecated. And other than in bad films, the dead won’t return.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Images can be copied to other apps - it’s wrong to tell otherwise.

Stick with the facts if you want to argue in favor of legacy. Which is nonsensical anyhow, legacy is de facto dead (with a long phasing out period) since it was deprecated. And other than in bad films, the dead won’t return.

Sorry, no, this is the case.

When you try to copy a whole Evernote with several images by clicking CTRL + A, CTRL +C and try to paste it to any text based application you just get the text without much formatting, images are ignored. The clipboard content in the new version is contaning renderable urls with deep links into the online evernote image. The old version simply contains the image to be copied as base64 coded inline image data. Word or any other third party program does not have access to this deep link url, so the image cannot be shown. it is as easy as this. Simply try to copy an online evernote with images to MS Word. It shoes empty rectangles for the images.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Just to answer the above statement: You said you can’t copy pictures. Which is wrong.

What you describe is that you can’t copy mixed content (text and picture). That’s a different statement. Since content like pictures are „wrapped“ in a container, many other apps can’t resolve the layers.

It works for me between notes (EN Mac 10.58.5).

On 6/19/2023 at 10:04 PM, PinkElephant said:

Just to answer the above statement: You said you can’t copy pictures. Which is wrong.

What you describe is that you can’t copy mixed content (text and picture). That’s a different statement. Since content like pictures are „wrapped“ in a container, many other apps can’t resolve the layers.

It works for me between notes (EN Mac 10.58.5).

Again: No, its not a wrong statement. I am not speaking about copying from evernote to evernote, I know that this works. Copying works on the legacy version, it no longer works for the current version. Thats a fact which is undeniable.

Images alone as well as part of mixed content are not exchangeable between applications, in both cases the image is exchanged as html code with deep link urls hidden behind Evernote authentication. This is a principal flaw and a bug.

• Thanks 2
On 6/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, Googol said:

Sorry, no, this is the case.

When you try to copy a whole Evernote with several images by clicking CTRL + A, CTRL +C and try to paste it to any text based application you just get the text without much formatting, images are ignored. The clipboard content in the new version is contaning renderable urls with deep links into the online evernote image. The old version simply contains the image to be copied as base64 coded inline image data. Word or any other third party program does not have access to this deep link url, so the image cannot be shown. it is as easy as this. Simply try to copy an online evernote with images to MS Word. It shoes empty rectangles for the images.

I use Snagit for ALL copying and pasting between ANY software as it works seamlessly.

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

I use Snagit for ALL copying and pasting between ANY software as it works seamlessly.

Snagit allows to do screenshots and videos of the desktop screen. I do at least 10 notes a day, usually technical meeting notes with text passages and formatting as well as images which go over several pages, sometimes containing dozens of images. Company wide we use a Microsoft environment where OneNote is the best choice to share information and assign tasks. With snagit i would need to screenshot every single image manually and compose them in OneNote image by image, note by note, with the surrounding text. Unfortunately I don't have the time to perform extra tasks for a simpy copy paste process which are not needed in the old version.

1 hour ago, Googol said:

Snagit allows to do screenshots and videos of the desktop screen. I do at least 10 notes a day, usually technical meeting notes with text passages and formatting as well as images which go over several pages, sometimes containing dozens of images. Company wide we use a Microsoft environment where OneNote is the best choice to share information and assign tasks. With snagit i would need to screenshot every single image manually and compose them in OneNote image by image, note by note, with the surrounding text. Unfortunately I don't have the time to perform extra tasks for a simpy copy paste process which are not needed in the old version.

I can do multiple images and text with Snagit in one go using the Widget (I am on Windows 11) and capturing a scrolling page, there is also an option to "Grab Text" from images in the Widget

On 6/21/2023 at 2:00 PM, bmcl26 said:

I can do multiple images and text with Snagit in one go using the Widget (I am on Windows 11) and capturing a scrolling page, there is also an option to "Grab Text" from images in the Widget

And it keeps to formatting of the text and the image size?

I can also confirm that I am not able to copy a note with text and images from Evernote Web on Google Chrome into a Google Doc or a Word file, even though I think it used to work in the Evernote Web app. This is garbage that this doesn't work. This is a must needed feature for the web app.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, bmcl26 said:

Unwanted by some, wanted by many.  If you don't want them, don't use them simple.  There are many things in numerous software programmes I don't want, but rather than rant about them, I just ignore them as I know there will be many users who like and use them

Hi bmcl26.  Can you explain why you use snagit for EN rather than just the web clipper?  I looked through snagit's specs and it seems as if it has various advantages ie: it can catch the parts that are beyond the scroll, it always renders the exact image that you think you will get, annotation is better etc.  Is it easy to integrate with EN?  I find the web clipper pretty seamless except for the occasional times when it does not render the images properly.

Yes, it is seamless working with EN. I don't know about the iOs version, but in Windows Version, there is a Widget you can add, which hides behind the top of the screen, and you can customise it for what you want to do, making it instantly available without starting the "Capture Screen",  I have my widget customised for "Capture Image and send straight to "Word" , "Capture a Region of the Screen", "Capture a Scrolling Screen" & "Grab Text".  I usually just copy the capture and paste it straight into EN, but by using the full "Editor Screen", which opens automatically after capture one of the many things you can do from here is to send it to EN as a New Note.  All Clips in the Editor are then stored in the Library for future use if required or can be deleted if this is not the case.  I like it as it preserves the capture format.

I do, however, use the "EN Webclipper", which is also very good if I just want to capture a full webpage and use Snagit for other clips, especially where I want it formatted exactly as the original or if I want to keep a copy in the Library for future use.

Imperfect / Inevitable - Transition to the current version.

I'm a long time Evernote user. It's clear the Legacy version has become untenable and is being ended. The replacement is still a work in progress. It's too early to tell how that will go.

My first impression of the new stuff was not good. Mainly it's the screen space issue. My old notes typically contain about 5 notes per vertical inch. In the new Evernote, last I looked, it's only 3 lines per vertical inch. Screen space is analogous to working memory and losing 40% is a big deal. Many markup options were gone or reduced. When I'm working on a project I need control over spacing, marking.

For a year or more the old version was suspended and new work was unappealing. I dropped to 'Basic' in 2021, which became 'Free' in 2022. Currently, popups from Evernote have that be-careful-what-you-click-on feel to them. Are we sure I can try 10.57.5 without getting trapped?

I'd like to stay with Legacy a while longer but be part of the discussion of it's replacement.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

The current version is 10.58.8. You can use that or Legacy. I no longer advocate running both alongside one another since the changes in sync really don't help the two versions to play well together.

So stick with Legacy if that is what you want but be aware that it is  on its way out.  The best guess is that it will go within the next 12 months.  So if you plan to continue with Evernote then it may be time to plan a gentle transition to the new version.  It took me a couple of weeks when I committed to the switch. Mostly I had to learn new ways of doing what I had previously done.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 5/3/2023 at 10:21 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Hello everybody!
We are actively working to update more and more customers from Legacy to the latest version of Evernote. Many don't even know they are using an unsupported version, so we are making that more evident through in-app communication and by testing a new update popup on Windows.

As part of that plan, we also removed the H&L article with links to the Legacy versions. The links remain available through Support in case people need them to fix some issues.

The Legacy versions remain available, and the download links continue to work, but we decided to make the download links less accessible at this time.

Hope this clarifies!

Chiming in as a user since 8/2008. The new version sucks and I've tried it repeatedly for a couple years. I will use Legacy until you guys break it and I will not be renewing my subscription when that happens. You've really ruined a good program and your boards are filled with people who knowingly use and prefer Legacy. Incorporate the old features into the new one and give people options. Then maybe they'll accept the watered down new version. 

• Like 3
On 6/16/2023 at 9:08 AM, Torley_ said:

Does anyone else get logged out when doing batch operations in non-Legacy?

I like that there's a built-in import folders feature, but I have it set to import 100s of items at a time, which isn't even smoothly viable.

It's pretty awkward:

• I have the new (but not necessarily improved) Evernote running side-by-side with Legacy. Both apps open at once.
  • Viewed through the lens of various batch operations, you'd think Legacy is the newer one.
  • I continue to add tags to and move 100s of notes at once with Legacy, with ease.
  • When I flip over to Evernote, I can see the changes take awhile to propagate, very slowly, a few notes at a time. This isn't a more robust "all at once" sync as I'm accustomed to seeing in other apps.
  • The current Evernote client is still not practical for me to handle even a few dozen notes at a time. It'll regularly crawl, pause, and log me out. On occasion, it will even corrupt the database (ugh) and I have to redownload that.

As before, Evernote staff are welcome and encouraged to contact me for diagnostics. Don't think it's just me. I've reached out before but haven't had direct acknowledgment, just a "we'll pass it along..." type thing with no followup.

I've used Evernote since 2008, I reckon is longer than most here, so I've seen changes over the years. Been through a lot of other major platform changes, software and hardware. But as it stands, regardless of what their plans are, it's clear there's a lot of unhappiness and disappointment.

I've migrated more note/documentation stuff that isn't OCR-based to Notion which is great about making relations between notes/pages clear. I'd wholeheartedly recommend checking that out if it's a better fit for your workflow.

Well said. I'm also a 2008 user and still using Legacy for the reasons you mention and more. I'm close to giving up.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, agsteele said:

The current version is 10.58.8. You can use that or Legacy. I no longer advocate running both alongside one another since the changes in sync really don't help the two versions to play well together.

So stick with Legacy if that is what you want but be aware that it is  on its way out.  The best guess is that it will go within the next 12 months.  So if you plan to continue with Evernote then it may be time to plan a gentle transition to the new version.  It took me a couple of weeks when I committed to the switch. Mostly I had to learn new ways of doing what I had previously done.

That's typical. "For me is ok, so you just need to learn how to live with that". Ooh, come on, don't be so smart... This type of thinking caused an outflow of many users from Adobe PS, AutoCAD, and many other products. Some of them have even simply closed down, just because the business had its own vision and didn't listen to the users. Furthermore, even big games have gone to the "trash can" of history because of such behavior.
I agree with my previous speakers that the new version of the application is sucks, to put it mildly. I also try to move to new design and functionality over the years without any success. Likewise, I was so close to unsubscribing from your product (I pay for two licenses) only the legacy version stopped me from that move. Keep in mind there is OneNote online as your competition for a few years, and you can get it for a really low price, especially when m365 became so popular and to be honest very functional. Even more, migration from EverNote to OneNote is very easy. I did the same but the other way around, and it was a little tough, but here it will be a piece of cake definitely.

What's the key reason you use legacy vs v10?

Color palette is gone on V10, which is terrible. Can't use OS X color palette, which was much better than the limited built-in color palette of V10

On 6/26/2023 at 6:47 PM, agsteele said:

I am sticking with Legacy because of the ability to edit HTML content. Do you (or anyone else) know if there are plans to include this feature in the new version at some point?

(I am aware that I can "simplify" and then edit the content, but I've had very bad results when I tried, possibly because the pages in question are often rather messy...)

I don't see this issue discussed in this thread or in the forums in general, so maybe I'm really the weird one out (wouldn't be the first time...) -- but losing that ability makes Evernote almost useless to me, since about 75% of what I do is clipping a web page and then commenting/editing/compiling the content for my own personal use (e.g. recipes, instructions, language learning etc.). So if this is never coming to Evernote, and Legacy is going away, I'll have to look for a different solution. Pity because it works well for me, I have a large collection of notes and the web clipping is great... 😕

• Level 5
16 hours ago, ohjasonj said:

You've really ruined a good program and your boards are filled with people who knowingly use and prefer Legacy.

So they are ... which is pretty much true of all software-related forums: they are there for people to report problems and complaints. But there are also a good number of people on these boards who think Evernote 10 does some important things that Legacy didn't and couldn't (closely similar interfaces and appearance of notes across platforms, use of headers, etc.). Of course, every time we utter this opinion we get called fanboys....

• Like 1

Just got a pop up inviting me to update Legacy which has never happened.

I decided to update it and regretted it instantly.

The main reason I still use Legacy it's because I can set a specific font size.

The font size on the updated version and on the "normal" version is so small.

Hard to read. Torture.

Yeah. I can increase the "view" but it looks weird if I do this because the titles are now freaking too big.

The other thing is that Legacy updated and normal version are slow. Not sure why.

Just to load a note... It takes a while even if I'm using a MacBook Pro M1.

No problem with Legacy. So I just reinstalled the old version of Legacy...

Sticking with old school Legacy.

Don't understand why some basic functions like font size are not integrated into the current Evernote or the updated Legacy.

• Level 5

In fact EN has done nothing to break legacy, they have simply said „we won’t maintain this code any longer“. That it is breaking is happening under its own weight: Outdated code base (legacy Windows is still 32bit code), unsupported code libraries (missing pdf plugin on legacy Mac), changes in the OS (narrow windows on MacOS Ventura).

In short it is the same reasons that had made the legacy clients a nightmare in the years before they were finally deprecated: No new features, hardly met deadlines when new OS versions were released, bug fixing cycles between several months and more than a year. Sticking too long with the legacy platform nearly broke the company, and probably was the precursor to selling it entirely.

If there are fanboys, it’s the diehard legacy users who ignore all this, and react dismayed on realizing that their pet software is left behind. 

The new syncing method now sets a clear technical reason for an end point in using legacy - it’s just not yet clear on which date this will happen. No „fanboy“ war cry will change this, it will be over when it’s over. Enough time for everybody to be prepared, whatever the individual „Plan B“ will be.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
On 6/27/2023 at 6:01 AM, patefoniQ said:

Ooh, come on, don't be so smart... 

I'm just another user. This isn't my product. I simply shared my view that running Legacy AND v10 on the same account is no longer wise.

If you want to communicate with Evernote then feel free to open a ticket. In the meantime use Legacy as much as you wish but 'play the ball, not the player.'

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, Sciamanna said:

I am sticking with Legacy because of the ability to edit HTML content. Do you (or anyone else) know if there are plans to include this feature in the new version at some point?

I don't believe that the HTML edit in v10 will be anything other than the simplify option that doesn't work for you.

Since it seems likely that Legacy will cease sooner rather than later, it might be wise to make a plan for the future. 

I've become content with the simplify function even though I used to edit HTML in Legacy. Obviously, YMMV.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I don't believe that the HTML edit in v10 will be anything other than the simplify option that doesn't work for you.

Since it seems likely that Legacy will cease sooner rather than later, it might be wise to make a plan for the future. 

I've become content with the simplify function even though I used to edit HTML in Legacy. Obviously, YMMV.

I'm starting to think that I will have to do this. I'll give it another try...

I've seen a useful suggestion in the forums, which is to duplicate the HTML note, simplify one copy, then merge them back together. I'll try to experiment with this and see if I can find a reasonable solution -- because yeah, I'm getting a bit panicky about Legacy going away, but I I haven't found any good replacement so far!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Duplicating the note will conserve the „look alike“ HTML version, the other note with the simplified content can be edited.

Instead of merging the two, you could create a link as well. A backlink will be added automatically, allowing navigation in both directions.

Backlinks are another very useful feature only available in v10.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Senningan said:

Just got a pop up inviting me to update Legacy which has never happened.

I decided to update it and regretted it instantly.

The main reason I still use Legacy it's because I can set a specific font size.

The font size on the updated version and on the "normal" version is so small.

Hard to read. Torture.

Yeah. I can increase the "view" but it looks weird if I do this because the titles are now freaking too big.

The other thing is that Legacy updated and normal version are slow. Not sure why.

Just to load a note... It takes a while even if I'm using a MacBook Pro M1.

No problem with Legacy. So I just reinstalled the old version of Legacy...

Sticking with old school Legacy.

Don't understand why some basic functions like font size are not integrated into the current Evernote or the updated Legacy.

Dammit, I got the same notification and updated Legacy thinking it was still Legacy but it's v10 and I'm pissed! The primary reason for me using Legacy are tabs. Like others have said, this makes my workflow so much easier as I typically have 10 Evernote tabs open to the same ones I most frequently use, so all I have to do is click a tab and start writing.

Now, my software is still called Evernote Legacy. Does anyone know why there's regular and Legacy if both have now been updated to v10? Makes no sense.

Other things I don't like in v10, the interface elements are big. I would love a feature to minimize the interface so that it's mostly note taking and what I prioritize such as font, size, and color. Oh, and don't get me started on this new font, it's clunky and the line breaks are a waste of space.

Anyway, I messed up so will try playing with this the last time I had to go on Legacy. At least my work computer is still on Legacy. The good news is, at least PDFs and attachments are back. And friends have been trying to get me to convert to Notion, this might be the right moment.

• Level 5

Before ranting I think you should take your time to learn the new app:

You can minimize the user interface to a narrow strip at the left, icon only plus the note you are working on.

You can open any note in its own window, and navigate between them. You click on it and start writing …

About what is called how, check the version number. Legacy is 7.14, v10 should be on 10.58.8x

• Like 1

I had played with it back when they made the changes and why I had stuck with Legacy.

First, I think it was disingenuous that they put up an alert that "Evernote Legacy" had an update. And on my desktop, the app is still called Evernote Legacy as I have "regular" Evernote also. It did not update the regular Evernote as this v 10.58.8x is still Evernote Legacy.

I have over 3500 notes and have been a paying customer since 2015.

Sidebar, am aware of that minimized view and used to it on my iPad and absolutely hate it. I always like having my Notebooks open. With the UI, they need to eliminate the forward and back arrows, move my name into the settings and reclaim some of that screen real estate.

Also, one feature from Legacy nobody is talking about is the ability to change the font/display size of sidebar, notes, and detail all independently. I have my sidebar tiny so that a glance I can quickly navigate from my nested notebooks. 

And tabs functioned differently from the multiple windows as I had the headers displayed. It's almost like shortcuts but only for the session (looks like I'll be adding more shortcuts now). 

And you're right, a lot of my gripes are more my own conditioning versus accepting a new upgrade. But it's with these upgrades where we question alternative products. And thank you for the alternative tab solution. 

On 6/5/2023 at 1:47 AM, Thundarr said:

The upgrade path from Evernote Legacy to the "latest version of Evernote" was entirely deceptive. I received a MacOS system message saying that Evernote Legacy needed to be updated to a "New Version of Evernote Legacy" for security reasons.

Did I get an updated version of Evernote Legacy? No. (What a shady way of forcing us on to a new app. Way to build trust, guys. Oh and look, you hid the download page at the same time. Slow clap.)

This just happened to me today. I trusted Evernote and upgraded as requested, only to find it was apparently a duplicate of EN v10.57.10 which I am already running on my mac. Legacy was gone.

Not cool guys.

I then spent 30+ minutes figuring out how to re-download Legacy.

If version 10 had the functionality I need, I wouldn't go there at all. But so far the screen grab tool in Legacy is far superior, and I use it multiple times every day.

I use version 10 for the rest of my EN work, I have subscribed since 2014, so I'm not a luddite or a freeloader, I'm just looking for important features which have been deleted for random reasons. 

Signaling an update and swapping for a different version is a great way to break trust. Shame on you.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Just went to my legacy copy.  Did not get a "nag" so went to check for updates and got this.

image.png.81b804a29aefce67d7d5df888f2ace3c.png

Looks fairly clear to me {New Windows Client) that legacy is not on the backend of the update.  That being said it would be interesting to know how much EN server volume is V10 clients versus pre V10 clients.  I would wonder if that is in their calculus for when to pull the plug.  And the trigger for the conversion push.

Folks are using pre V10 for some reason or other, from inertia to use case.  The push should at least catch the inertia folks.  I did not update.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/18/2023 at 12:39 AM, KMB123 said:

The main feature I need from Legacy is the ability to change the "Note info" Updated, time & date, I've been asking for this since I was in the Beta program for V10.

The ability to edit Update Dates and the cumbersome Creation Date editing interface is the sole reason I continue to use Legacy.  For a document system it is baffling why this hasn't been replicated from Legacy.

THE UI IS HORRIBLE FOR DATE ENTRY!!!!! How many clicks to enter a Creation Date of July 4, 1955? How about if you have 50 documents from 1955?
ANSWER: More clicks than a human finger and sane person's patience can endure.

I am archiving, cataloging, and studying documents from the 1940s through 1980s and the ability to enter a Creation Date and adjust the Update Date important.

Before someone suggests - it is ridiculous to use TAGs or other work-arounds for document dates in a Document Management solution.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the Creation Date entry mechanism and allow physical typing of the dates (7/4/1955 or 07/04/1955 or 1955/07/04 I don't care). Requiring mouse clicks is horrible.

• Like 3

I agree that LOTS of work flows now take too many clicks and levels deep, and no more hot keys, and no Escape button to close dialogues... It's a lot less productive/efficient, the new version. I hope they fix that soon, after killing all the bugs in v10. I did switch totally to v10 and 2ill never go big, but my God, my effectiveness took a hit. I organize my companies life En mily own life fully with Evernote. 

On 6/29/2023 at 7:51 PM, Mr. GROWF said:

fix the Creation Date entry mechanism and allow physical typing of the dates (7/4/1955 or 07/04/1955 or 1955/07/04 I don't care). Requiring mouse clicks is horrible.

I agree completely that the date input box is horrible unless you are just making minor changes to the date. The same is true for everywhere a date can be added not just creation date. It should be possible to type in a date, in any reasonable format, and have EN parse it into a date. Todoist does this really well.

My normal approach to tedious workflows in EN is to automate it using AutoHotKey. However, the design of the interface makes that a very challenging task. Lots of issues, including the year only going back 7 years meaning selecting the oldest and repeating the process until you get back to the year you need.

image.png.2fb34460855c04403afc0c529733c09e.png

I'm not sure EN has ever advertised itself as a document management system although I'm sure many of us, me included, use it as such.

I think in your situation I would probably just add the date in ISO8601 format to the beginning of the title so that an alphabetical search would sort notes in date order. You could also search  intitle:1950 for example.

You don't say how the documents are added to EN. The easiest way of creating a note with a very old creation date is probably to make a dummy "template note" and export it.  You can then very easily change the creation date in a simple text editor and then import it. You can then attach the document. This obviuously doesn't work if you are doing a bulk import of pdf's into EN using the import folder or something.

image.png.2310567fb36f3769d81fb107511ef95f.png

In earlier incarnations of V10 not even the creation date could be modified. They introduced modifying the creation date but chose not to introduce the modification of the updated date at the same time. As I explain in the linked post this is more complex than just making the update field editable.

• Like 1

This article's a real fascinating read, and brings up a point that applies to the Electron-based Evernote client. And observations of what other apps have gotten more sluggish due to abstraction slop.

I know it’s easy to dunk on Electron, but there are clear telltale signs that this platform is at fault for a lot of the damage done to desktop latency. Take 1Password’s 8th version, which many of users that migrated from the 7th version despise due to the slowness of the new interface. Or take Spotify, which used to prioritize startup and playback latency over anything else in its inception and, as you know if you use it, that’s not true any more:

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 7/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, Mike P said:

I agree completely that the date input box is horrible unless you are just making minor changes to the date.

Yes. I also find that a wrench is a terrible hammer.

With mild apologies to the several people who have explained to me the importance in their workflows of making a date field do things it was never designed to do. I understand that it seems that this should work, because it did work in Legacy, or something like it does work in something else. I just don't understand why that seems realistic. A waste of time to try to explain it to me again; my brain is not wired so as to grasp it. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes. I also find that a wrench is a terrible hammer.

While I only very occasionally change the creation date, and then only by a few days, the interface for changing any date field in EN is similar. Tasks and note reminders spring to mind. Ideally I would like to just type in a date like I can in Todoist although I accept that I don't set a task due date 30 years in the future (or past!) so it's not really as big an issue..

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yeah, I agree that the date interface is not ideal. I'm sure there are various challenges in creating such a thing, another area in which the actual human brain seems to have figured out something that it and it alone can do almost intuitively. But using the given interface for normal changes of, say, a reminder on a note is not something I find terminally distasteful.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:11 PM, Torley_ said:

This article's a real fascinating read, and brings up a point that applies to the Electron-based Evernote client. And observations of what other apps have gotten more sluggish due to abstraction slop.

yeah, and the sluggish electron framework forces developers to add much more complexity and vulnerability to achieve acceptable performance: fragile extensive long-term caching, a magnitude of threads and processes resulting in race conditions, deadlocks and data loss

This is very different from a simple native implementation that is fast enough to keep a straight forward maintainable architecture without all these complicated tricks to fake an acceptable performance...

@Dave-in-Decatur my Use Case is simple. I'm archiving historical documents and I want the Creation Date to be the actual date the document was created.

In my case that includes 1940s through 1980s. This is way the date entry is so impactful, whereas with Legacy I can simply type the Date (Ex: 07/04/1945).

This date entry mechanism has the benefit of accepting navigational tabs so I'm not pulling the hands off the keyboard to click-for-a-date.

• Level 5

I understand the use case. I still don’t think using a field set by the app should be used for any valuable information.

Example: If you make a backup to an ENEX file, and import it again, the creation date will be overwritten by the date of the import. These notes are new, so they receive the current date.

If you want to reliably store properties of a document, using a true DMS would be the better solution.

• 2 weeks later...

So here I am - 3 years after using Evernote legacy on my Mac I gave a try to new and shiny version from the AppStore - just updated to a new version and tada! some of my Notebooks are empty  and I don't have access to them on the desktop - while I still can access those same notebooks on iOs and Web.

That's outrageous what you guys are doing with the notes of your old users. I've been with Evernote since 2010 and you latest move to ReactNative 3 years ago is still a disaster.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:21 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Hello everybody!

Hope this clarifies!

>As part of that plan, we also removed the H&L article with links to the Legacy versions.

Very sad to hear that. The latest version even now lacks fundamental functions I need.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:09 PM, Federico Simionato said:

I have to say, I find "vast majority" a bit hard to believe. I for one still use legacy for the sole reason that it still has features in it that are not implemented in v10 i.e. the ability to apply basic formatting (bold, highlighting etc) to code snippets.

3 hours ago, BrenF said:

I have to say, I find "vast majority" a bit hard to believe. I for one still use legacy for the sole reason that it still has features in it that are not implemented in v10

Same reason I still use Legacy @BrenF!

If v. 10 had the features I use every day, I would have moved over to it long ago!

John

• 2 weeks later...

I made an account just to say I will CANCEL if Evernote legacy is removed. How did you, the developer, measure this assertion? I dislike the direction of the modern Evernote. Most of legacy are people like me. If it goes away I'm going to have to do all the work to switch to Joplin, which I'm willing to do, but I'd rather you just keep the Legacy (legendary) version of Evernote.

Edit: It looks like the application from the link isn't opening. Is it possible to still get legacy on Mac? If not it's the end of the road. Sad.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:21 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Edited by vincentmenniti
update
  • Level 5

Legacy already IS phased out. It is deprecated since October 2020.

What currently keeps it running, is that it still syncs with the EN cloud server. Once this server link is cut, the app will be close to useless.

Nobody here knows WHEN this will happen - but I don’t think anybody has any doubts about THAT it will happen. EN switched to a new syncing method in May 2023. Running the traditional sync in parallel with the new method puts an additional stress on the servers, and costs money.

Plus since closing down operations in California and Chile, I doubt there is much expertise left about legacy code and operational details. This means the exit could be a bumpy one.

If I were you, I wouldn’t wait for learning about a date.

Remark: You will find out that the closest twin to EN legacy is EN v10. Even there not all use cases are fully supported. Expect more need to adapt with any alternative, if you decide to move on.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, vincentmenniti said:

Can you confirm if Evernote Legacy will be fully phased out? I need to be ready and prepare for migrating to a different note solution if so.

it is threatened.  Could be when the number of Legacy users drops below a certain level, could be something else.  If BS provides a date it might be considered a phase out.  If not a boom and gone.  So I would start getting ready.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Actually the features are controlled on the server, not on the client.

Personally I am bored about this "we want legacy, mimimi". Since RTE was introduced, legacy users are a burden for everyone using EN. They enforce to keep 2 incompatible data structures alive, adding to the operational cost of the company. Free users insisting on their pet client are even worse - they expect everything goes exactly their way, but refuse to contribute.

I dearly hope we leave this discussion behind, and focus on the future, a stable app and cool new features instead.

From my view they could terminate supporting legacy right away. Place an announcement: Will terminate end of september 2023, offer some transition support, and go, go, go.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

From my view they could terminate supporting legacy right away. Place an announcement: Will terminate end of september 2023, offer some transition support, and go, go, go.

Agreed, but only if they fix the 2 year old html bug first (ticket 3309909)! Especially now with potential data loss issues, HTML makes it much easier to recover a single note than a full notebook import via ENEX

Maybe we need a thread to list the bugs that definitely need to be fixed before legacy is discontinued.

I am still willing to pay, but EN must deliver what they promise

I agree that the Legacy discussions are getting boring.  However, I have to say that I feel the same way about Adobe Acrobat 10, Quickbooks 12 and Windows 7 ie: I use these outdated disc based programs which I like FAR more than the updated versions.  I  have the newer online versions of Acrobat and Quickbooks and I use win 10 on several machines; but I prefer the legacy programs.  Going forward I realize that there is no sliver of hope that any of these are coming back but I still want them to last as long as possible.  I've made my peace with ENv10 and forced myself to accept it over Legacy.  Anyone who decides to jettison EN because they are so offended by v10 is simply not being reasonable.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Problem with the old versions is they are not safe to use any more. Full of unfixed exploits that can be dangerous even while surfing the internet.

Yes, but that’s the whole point. I use non-online versions of acrobat, office, quickbooks and that works well. I agree that windows 7 is obviously risky. 

• Level 5*

I don't know, anyone who decides to jettison EN because V10 fails their use case really isn't being unreasonable. 

OTOH, not moving on, continuing to carp on Legacy, and expecting that the carping will get a fix - that's unreasonable. 

Said it before,  but still kind of weird at this point in time that the line in the sand has not been drawn.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2023 at 6:09 AM, HeBoIz said:

I have a hard time imagining that those who still use the legacy version today don't really know that there is an entirely new Evernote version with lots of new functionality with version 10, which was introduced 2 1/2 years ago. I would assume instead that many continue to use the old version for very specific purposes or for specific and personal reasons. For this, according to my memory, many individual reasons and arguments should be found in this forum spread over many threads (also for why others have left Evernote because they could not make friends with V10).

As for me, Evernote was (and is) - even with V10 - my PKM, my "second brain" and therefore - privately or in the office - "allways open". This I use for daily work, note editing, linking and thinking.

For this and my personal use and focus, I don't need a dashboard, elaborate task management solutions (for that I would prefer specialists like todoist), additional collaboration features or novel AI applications to which I would have to entrust my information and data. 

But what counts and is of crucial importance for me is a fast and immediate access to my notes and a speedy and fluent editing of notes, fast searching and finding as well as simple and fast possibilities for reorganization as well as networking and tagging of my notes. In addition, I don't want to be completely dependent on an online service, but rather have the ability to access my notes remotely for emergency purposes, or to export them in a way that can be used in a variety of ways or, in some cases, to transfer them to other and more suitable systems. For this, the legacy version offers me many functions that are still missing in V10, a blazing fast search without dependence on server communication, locally stored data, extensive export functions and fast and easy possibilities of reorganization and keywording.

It is true that I do not need these functions on a daily basis, but only on certain occasions or as a fallback. It may also be that my need to access the legacy version will be partially taken care of with the improved performance provided by the new sync. But for now, I'd like to have the legacy version available as a quick backup and complementary work environment for as long as possible.

In view of the lack of speed and unsecured immediate and cross-system access to my data and notes, including all-round fluid editing, Evernote has already lost some of its significance as a pkm or second brain for me over the course of the last 2 1/2 years. as a pkm or second brain. Parts of my content and use cases have shifted quite satisfactorily to other solutions such as Workflowy or Obsidian. Against this background, rising prices for Evernote - probably not only for me - increasingly trigger thoughts about where and how I might want to organize my information differently in the future.

Considering that legacy is, in my estimation, very consciously continued to be used, at least by the paying users, I would prefer to do without update reminders anyway. For the non-paying users of the free version, where legacy should still be installed, I assume that they hardly use Evernote anyway. But these "users" will be difficult to persuade by a simple update to use and develop the new Evernote and this preferably as paying users to the increased costs. Growth rates and additional paying users could probably only be won with an even simpler and cheaper entry-level version.

By the way, what disturbs and alienates me about the recently constantly appearing, advertising update reminder from Legacy to V10 is the incomplete and misleading information about what is triggered by clicking on update: It is not just a simple update to a newer Legacy version, but to the fundamentally new and different V10 version of Evernote. It may be difficult to go back after that. This decision has to be considered carefully. It should be clearly stated that (and why) an update to a fundamentally different version is recommended.

I agree.  I've been using Evernote for 12.5 years. I have updated from Legacy to the current versions at least 3 times, most recently accidentally on one of my computers because I thought that Evernote had made updates to Legacy.  I'm going to go back to Legacy on that computer now--again.  This time the triggering reason is the lack of sync button on the current version...couldn't find the button to force a sync when automatic syncing had failed.

I like to use tabs on my Mac.  I know there are browser workarounds and keyboard shortcuts, but they are annoying.   I don't want task management.  I also use ToDoist.  I don't care to use calendar integration.  

I understand that Evernote is under pressure to add features and functionality.  It's a competitive market.  Unfortunately, I see standard, almost "must have" features being retired, and usability (for my purposes) suffering.

I already use Devonthink for paperless office, scanning and document management.  I think it's time to explore expanding my use of that...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
16 minutes ago, Mitoids said:

This time the triggering reason is the lack of sync button on the current version...couldn't find the button to force a sync when automatic syncing had failed

The real time edit (RTE) that is behind the current sync method means that content is being synchronised continuously as you go along unlike the sync process used by Legacy. So a button is of no value. In the desktop apps Ctrl+R forces a sync in the case of an unusual sync incident.

The other things you mention aren't directly replicated as you have discovered.

The RTE means that the future of Legacy is limited. You are right to consider your options if you are unable to make peace with v10. Having a plan for post Legacy is, in my view, essential.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Mitoids If we can assure you about one thing: EN legacy will never ever get an update.

If there was a theoretical chance, it’s gone since the dev team was replaced. 

Actually I don’t care anymore if somebody doesn’t like this or misses that. EN should just set a date, then pull the plug, and focus on the future.

Legacy is only a burden of dead, outdated code requiring backend resources and making anything more complicated than necessary.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2023 at 3:22 PM, agsteele said:

I asked my favourite search engine for 'evernote legacy download' and it provided me immediately with the answer...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Always worth asking a search engine 🥴

oops

The page you were looking for doesn't exist

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved

On 8/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, PinkElephant said:

@Mitoids If we can assure you about one thing: EN legacy will never ever get an update.

If there was a theoretical chance, it’s gone since the dev team was replaced. 

Actually I don’t care anymore if somebody doesn’t like this or misses that. EN should just set a date, then pull the plug, and focus on the future.

Legacy is only a burden of dead, outdated code requiring backend resources and making anything more complicated than necessary.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not suggesting that Evernote should continue maintaining or updating the Legacy version.   

I work in IT and software development and I understand the reasons for phasing out EN Legacy, and for keeping the current code base platform-agnostic as much as possible.  Usually, I'm fast to upgrade my personal software and to push my clients to stay current on their systems and applications.

@agsteele's point about RTE makes sense.  I was not aware of Ctrl-R.  That's great.   I can even exit and restart the app if/when the sync stops working. 

However, I would like to see EN bring some of the Legacy (e.g. tabs for OS X) features to the current version.  Lots of other threads on this topic--I know.  Not worth our time to revisit here.