• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
benmc

Evernote’s future is in the cloud

benmc    85

With our announcement this morning I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I’m Ben McCormack and I lead Evernote’s operations team, the people who make sure Evernote is optimally running on all cylinders. We are also the team within Evernote leading our move onto the Google Cloud platform.

We hope our blog post and FAQ answers most questions. I am also joined here by Rich Tener who heads up the Evernote security team. We can cover any further questions you have.

We are excited to be able to announce our move to cloud and to be working with the Google team to make it a huge success. We are also very aware that you all use Evernote as an extension of your minds.

Throughout our evaluation and decision making process we have kept our Three Laws of Data Protection front and centre (https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/06/03/evernotes-three-laws-data-protection-update/)  

• Your Data is Yours

• Your Data is Protected

• Your Data is Portable

Our move to the Google Cloud platform does not change or alter our commitment to these laws.

Again, please take a moment to read the FAQ and blog post, and let us know what you think.

Ben

• Like 2

gbarry    1,561

If you're new to our forums and would like to join the discussion with Ben, click "Sign In" at the top right, enter your Evernote account info, select a Display Name and you're all set. Welcome to our community! 

Rich Tener    37
22 minutes ago, JoshSchaidt said:

It seems like taking advantage of machine learning technologies no longer makes my content "mine" exclusively. It now seems like my data is now "ours." Not really thrilled about that. 

Hi @JoshSchaidt, your data is still yours. When we use Google's Cloud features like machine learning to help you find notes more easily, that doesn't change. Google is subject to strict security and legal obligations which limit what Google can do with you data. Google will not process data for any purpose other than to fulfill our contractual obligations.

• Like 1

rlobrecht    31

This change is long overdue.  I've always been surprised that Evernote ran their own servers.  Fingers crossed that the transition is as smooth as you've planned and that this allows you to grow into the company you want to be in a more cost effective manner.

• Like 6

schultzter    5
On 9/9/2016 at 11:58 AM, benmc said:

our move onto the Google Cloud platform

Does this also mean there will be a new API that's more accessible both to time-constrained/hobbyist developers and to more programming languages and platforms (since it won't rely on the Thrift compilation process)? Thanks,

• Like 1

benmc    85
1 minute ago, rlobrecht said:

This change is long overdue.  I've always been surprised that Evernote ran their own servers.  Fingers crossed that the transition is as smooth as you've planned and that this allows you to grow into the company you want to be in a more cost effective manner.

Our focus is on making the transition as seamless as possible. We don't want our users impacted negatively by this migration.

• Like 3

kannprice    6
14 minutes ago, Rich Tener said:

Hi @JoshSchaidt, your data is still yours. When we use Google's Cloud features like machine learning to help you find notes more easily, that doesn't change. Google is subject to strict security and legal obligations which limit what Google can do with you data. Google will not process data for any purpose other than to fulfill our contractual obligations.

You are daydreaming. Google mines every byte of information on its servers that isn't super-encrypted, and I'm not sure it can't--and does-- crack even those. That is their entire business model. Your ownership and control of your servers is what made our data secure and private. You have jacked up your prices, in order to hand over our data to the Behemoth. Congrats on watching your customer base shrink--again. 

• Like 5

Oletros    34
8 minutes ago, kannprice said:

You are daydreaming. Google mines every byte of information on its servers that isn't super-encrypted, and I'm not sure it can't--and does-- crack even those.

Those things are really said seriously? Do you really believe that a company like Google would break the law and the trust of their CUSTOMERS just to mine data.

The part about breaking encryption surely must be a bad joke

• Like 3

Andreas    9
34 minutes ago, kannprice said:

You are daydreaming. Google mines every byte of information on its servers that isn't super-encrypted, and I'm not sure it can't--and does-- crack even those. That is their entire business model. Your ownership and control of your servers is what made our data secure and private. You have jacked up your prices, in order to hand over our data to the Behemoth. Congrats on watching your customer base shrink--again. 

That's complete nonsense. Google is run as a business, not a backstreet hacking club. 

• Like 9

mjdodwell    5

I am sad to hear this, and sorry to see it happening.

Of course there will be many users who are not bothered by this, but I unfortunately do not believe this is the right way to go for me and how I planned to integrate Evernote into my Business. I try my best to keep out of Google's reach as like other posters have said, I do not trust them. I also think this is potentially good for Evernote's technical growth but there also maybe a financial benefit to them doing this too. But, Evernote are a business and are here to make profit too, it is their decision to follow their strategies. We as users get to choose if we follow.

I believe that Evernote expect fall out from this announcement, and I for one will start to fall out by looking at alternative options and changing my workflow accordingly. It is a shame because I have only really started testing out the capabilities of Evernote and I really like what I've experienced so far and I've not even scratched the service.

I am not hating or trolling on Evernote with this post, it is just a personal choice based on how I feel I want to work.

Sorry Evernote, it's jus the wrong move for me.

• Like 5

I love Google. When Evernote's price increase was announced, I tried to move everything to Google, but soon realized why I need both. Google information can be hard to find. On Evernote, I know it will be where I placed it. I hope you won't adopt the Google search method of organization. The photo I want might be on another account, or it might still be in Picasa (which I loved), or I have no idea what year it's from. Google's other bad habit is making guinea pigs of us, and just when we get things the way we want them, they announce that feature will soon be going away, or there's a new, improved version, which might be worse. Evernote is a stable alternative and I hope it will stay that way.

• Like 3

benmc    85
53 minutes ago, schultzter said:

Does this also mean there will be a new API that's more accessible both to time-constrained/hobbyist developers and to more programming languages and platforms (since it won't rely on the Thrift compilation process)? Thanks,

As part of the migration we are not planning to make any changes to our APIs. 

Kabenaut    2
52 minutes ago, Andreas said:

That's complete nonsense. Google is run as a business, not a backstreet hacking club. 

I'm with Andreas. Google is struggling hard with AWS and Azure for every customer, especially if it's a quite big and prestigious like Evernote. They invest a lot and would loose all by violating their contractual obligations. Even the combined data of the EN-community is not worth it for Google to risk the trust of their business clientele. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Krunoslav    88

Does this mean increase of storage capacity on Evernote platform moving forward. Do you plan to increase it? Especially in the case of paying customers. Its nice you are making all these changes, but I still don't see much benefits for the end user. Can we expect more storage capacity increase without the clunky and awkward Google Drive sync and also can we expect a two way hassle free sync with the Google Calendar now that Sunrise is shutting down and your are partnering with Google? I would like end users benefits and not simply what benefits the corporations. Google Drive sync for example is far from ideal solution and its a way for Google to sneak in the back door by tempting more users to use more of its storage cloud offerings. I don't want that. I want Evernote to offer more storage directly. Can we expect that. You said that switching to Google Cloud it will be easier to scale and maintain it, so can we expect more storage as well for users? Since you have limited the free users and charged more for the rest of us, at least you can provide some real value in return. Any answer to any of this? Thank you. 

• Like 2

So, just to be clear. When/if you use Google to process my information (assumedly for some benefit to me) there is no retention of that data by Google, no use of that information to train algorithms, no use of that information by Google/Evernote to target marketing, no linking of that data to my separate Google account?

Thanks, Steve. 

• Like 1

benmc    85
7 minutes ago, SteveLeighton said:

So, just to be clear. When/if you use Google to process my information (assumedly for some benefit to me) there is no retention of that data by Google, no use of that information to train algorithms, no use of that information by Google/Evernote to target marketing, no linking of that data to my separate Google account?

Thanks, Steve. 

Steve - That is correct. The only use of Evernote data by Google is to provide the Cloud services we request and NOT for targeted marketing etc

• Like 2

Krunoslav    88
8 minutes ago, SteveLeighton said:

Thanks, Steve. 

+1 I would like to know that as well. 

benmc    85
13 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

Does this mean increase of storage capacity on Evernote platform moving forward. Do you plan to increase it? Especially in the case of paying customers. Its nice you are making all these changes, but I still don't see much benefits for the end user. Can we expect more storage capacity increase without the clunky and awkward Google Drive sync and also can we expect a two way hassle free sync with the Google Calendar now that Sunrise is shutting down and your are partnering with Google? I would like end users benefits and not simply what benefits the corporations. Google Drive sync for example is far from ideal solution and its a way for Google to sneak in the back door by tempting more users to use more of its storage cloud offerings. I don't want that. I want Evernote to offer more storage directly. Can we expect that. Since you have limited the free users and charged more for the rest of us, at least you can provide some real value in return. Any answer to any of this? Thank you. 

There are no application or functionally changes (including storage limits) as a result of our move into Google Cloud. While there are no new features being announced this is a foundational change that we believe sets the stage for a very strong future and faster release of end user features.

Hope this clarifies?

DTLow    2,225
On 2016-09-09 at 8:58 AM, benmc said:

With our announcement this morning I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I’m Ben McCormack and I lead Evernote’s operations team, the people who make sure Evernote is optimally running on all cylinders. We are also the team within Evernote leading our move onto the Google Cloud platform.

Thanks for posting and keeping us informed.
I look forward to the potential offered by the new back-end environment
Like other posts, the mention of Google gave me a start, but I trust that Evernote has done due diligence and our data is secure

• Like 2

Krunoslav    88
1 minute ago, benmc said:

There are no application or functionally changes (including storage limits) as a result of our move into Google Cloud. While there are no new features being announced this is a foundational change that we believe sets the stage for a very strong future and faster release of end user features.

Hope this clarifies?

Thanks. It does clarify but does not make me happy as a paying users I have to be honest. Clearly this is something that benefits the Evernote and Google but I still don't see strong benefit to myself or any other end user. Perhaps that is something you and Google can work on and we can see some real improvements on our side. I'm not thrilled with the speed of innovation or feature implementations on the user side. I'm sure you can understand my point of view. 

Tenny    1

This is amazing news. I have few questions:

1. Since you are using the Google servers, will you also integrate Google offerings like Maps, Calendar, Gmail etc. This integration in addition to the current Google Drive integration will be fascinating.
  2. Another question is will you be able to use Google search within your notes while scribing helping us in research etc?
  3. Can Evernote eventually with the help of Google AI be my true digital brain aka assistant?

Thanks, Tenny

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, benmc said:

Steve - That is correct. The only use of Evernote data by Google is to provide the Cloud services we request and NOT for targeted marketing etc

Thanks, that helps.

• Like 1