Evernote’s future is in the cloud

benmc

Some people wrote that they don't trust Google. But Microsoft and Amazon are selling the same service. Do you trust them? Why would you trust any of them? If Evernote hadn't announced the change would you even know? Evernote is such a small corner of online privacy. Our medical records are online. Government at multiple levels stores our tax returns online. These are a lot more sensitive than my latest to-do list. If my hospital system or insurance company is using Google's Cloud, they haven't announced it. That doesn't mean they aren't. I'm worried about online privacy but Evernote is not significant enough to me to spend a lot of time thinking about it. 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main objective of our announcement was to ensure that our users are aware of what we will be doing with their data. We wanted to be very clear that we are moving it from our own in-house run and managed data centers, into the Google Cloud platform.

As we can see from this discussion, many users put both personal and private data into Evernote, data they often don't choose to share. We know this is not 'our' data and we always want to be transparent about how we are handling it.

Hope this gives some context on what we wanted to achieve. We always welcome feedback on what we could do better next time.

Ben

On 9/29/2016 at 1:51 PM, DTLow said:

Not sure what your point is, but in regards to an exit, Evernote has always made it easy, at least on the Window/Mac platforms.

Simply select your notes; File > Export

It's not possible to Bulk Export all Notes at once, even in the Admin portal.

Is there a work around for this?

4 hours ago, benmc said:

The main objective of our announcement was to ensure that our users are aware of what we will be doing with their data. We wanted to be very clear that we are moving it from our own in-house run and managed data centers, into the Google Cloud platform.

As we can see from this discussion, many users put both personal and private data into Evernote, data they often don't choose to share. We know this is not 'our' data and we always want to be transparent about how we are handling it.

Hope this gives some context on what we wanted to achieve. We always welcome feedback on what we could do better next time.

Ben

Can you please provide a admin function to process a Bulk Export of all Notebooks and all Notes within those Notebooks?

Currently, that feature is not available within the admin portal. It's only possible to extract Notebooks 1 at a time, and name the files as you go. Is there a work around or third party application that can assist with this. My goal is not to move the data elsewhere, but only to have my own cold back-up, in the event data is lost during your migration, I can recover in 1 bulk upload. 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Steven Kaufman said:

It's not possible to Bulk Export all Notes at once, even in the Admin portal.

Is there a work around for this?

10 hours ago, Steven Kaufman said:

Can you please provide a admin function to process a Bulk Export of all Notebooks and all Notes within those Notebooks?

Currently, that feature is not available within the admin portal. It's only possible to extract Notebooks 1 at a time, and name the files as you go. Is there a work around or third party application that can assist with this. My goal is not to move the data elsewhere, but only to have my own cold back-up, in the event data is lost during your migration, I can recover in 1 bulk upload. 

I'm not worried about Evernote's server changes, but it's a good idea to have a backup process in place.

My process is documented here, and is implemented using AppleScript on my Mac.
I'm not a Windows user but know of the Backupery app

I store my backups on Apple's iCloud drive.  
This discussion prompted me to check where Apple's service is hosted, and found Report: Apple’s iCloud to be powered by Google Cloud Platform

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not worried about Evernote's server changes, but it's a good idea to have a backup process in place.

My process is documented here, and is implemented using AppleScript on my Mac.
I'm not a Windows user but know of the Backupery app

I store my backups on Apple's iCloud drive.  
This discussion prompted me to check where Apple's service is hosted, and found Report: Apple’s iCloud to be powered by Google Cloud Platform

"partially powered" is missing from the title. and, it is a rumor. and, apple stores your encryption keys (not google or amazon). and, apple is notriously uncooperative with requests to access user data from law enforcement. and, apple is rumored to be working on a plan to put the encryption keys in the hands of users so that no one besides the user can access the data.

it's not necessarily the location of my data that bothers me, though i do appreciate it is in a state-of-the-art, secured facility. it is the conditions under which my data is stored or accessed. this is still not clear to me (ben is looking into answers to some of my questions posed earlier in the thread). i think evernote and google have been relatively transparent, but a little more could be done to inform us, and even more could be done to protect us (zero-knowledge encryption).

Will Evernote become compatible with HIPAA requirements for privacy like Microsoft's Office365 for Business is?

This way, patient private data can be stored on Evernote?

HIPAA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Is there any way to automatically encrypt all the notes you enter in Evernote? Currently you have to encrypt each note manually - which is very tedious when you have thousands of notes. 

21 minutes ago, marianco said:

Will Evernote become compatible with HIPAA requirements for privacy like Microsoft's Office365 for Business is?

This way, patient private data can be stored on Evernote?

HIPAA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Is there any way to automatically encrypt all the notes you enter in Evernote? Currently you have to encrypt each note manually - which is very tedious when you have thousands of notes. 

Here is some pertinent information:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005527

https://adeliarisk.com/is-evernote-hipaa-compliant/

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Oletros said:

And Google is very cooperative, isn't?

My opinion is that Apple has taken the strongest stance among the tech leaders, and has taken the boldest steps to protect user privacy against unauthorized access.

According to the Google API for their encryption service, the client holds the keys. If Evernote assures us that the data at rest will be encrypted and that they will control the keys, then most of the discussion about Google and their proclivities for data mining is irrelevant. 

How about it, Evernote, can you comment on key management using Google cloud services? Who holds the keys (e.g., servers v. clients)? Who is responsible for managing the keys? Is there a key management and key recovery plan?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DCDawg said:

According to the Google API for their encryption service, the client holds the keys. If Evernote assures us that the data at rest will be encrypted and that they will control the keys, then most of the discussion about Google and their proclivities for data mining is irrelevant. 

How about it, Evernote, can you comment on key management using Google cloud services? Who holds the keys (e.g., servers v. clients)? Who is responsible for managing the keys? Is there a key management and key recovery plan?

evernote can hold the keys. but, they said somewhere in this thread that they won't. at least, that's my recollection.

1 hour ago, Ares said:

Indeed. A testament to their very excellent PR department. http://www.apple.com/pr/

in my opinion, it's been covered extensively by news networks and privacy / security experts, so i think it is more than simply a pr phenomenon. the examples above (holding the encryption keys and so forth) are some of the facts that inform my opinion.

39 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

in my opinion, it's been covered extensively by news networks and privacy / security experts, so i think it is more than simply a pr phenomenon. 

It's the job of pr pros to cultivate relationships with reporters to gain favorable news coverage so we're not too far apart.

5 hours ago, tony10000 said:

Thanks for the answer.

Evernote is NOT HIPPA Privacy compliant at all. You cannot store any private data on Evernote since it is not automatically encrypted to the HIPAA Standard. 

Darn. It would be so useful to store patient data on Evernote and have it available everywhere I go.  Single note encryption is not useful if you have to encrypt and decrypt thousands of notes.  Evernote can't even search these notes nor PDFs. 

Microsoft Office365 for Business' OneNote is HIPPA compliant but the interface really is bad and practically unusable.  if they  copied Evernote's 3-pane view, then OneNote would be the go-to for storing private information that you can search.

Hopefully one day Evernote can be HIPPA privacy compliant one day.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ares said:

It's the job of pr pros to cultivate relationships with reporters to gain favorable news coverage so we're not too far apart.

I'm a little less skeptical of the media, I guess, because even reporters who take a dim view of Apple's position and write negative pieces about it generally credit Apple with being too secure. And, when a federal agency sues the company in an effort to compel it to provide access, then goes into hearings and claims that Apple is making it difficult for them to collect data, I am inclined to believe that it is pushing the security envelope. In other words, Apple and its detractors both agree it is raising the bar. 

In the context of this discussion, it looks like Apple is managing to use Google Cloud while holding the encryption keys (instead of handing them over to Google), so I would encourage Evernote to reconsider its plan not to hold the keys. 

6 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

My opinion is that Apple has taken the strongest stance among the tech leaders, and has taken the boldest steps to protect user privacy against unauthorized access.

Taking into account that Google was the first company to encrypt their servers, the communication between servers and their were the first to have Transparency reports, yes, PR for Apple works very well.

On 10/5/2016 at 9:47 PM, cfasca said:

First, Ares, I think you may be on to something. I've been thinking about it the wrong way. I've been thinking that I've got tens of thousands of notes in Evernote. It's usefl, but I don't feel it is really living up to its price anymore. I've been clinging to a hope that it will improve (strung along by announcements like this). Perhaps more significantly, I've dreaded extricating myself from Evernote. I've used it for years. There's so much in Evernote, what will I do. I use it for my debate team, so I have 25 students using it. I'm deeply invested. When I tried OneNote, I couldn't get comfortable because it wasn't Evernote, so I had resigned myself to whatever Evernote does (and doesn't do). But you have provided me with a ray of light. Just start over. Export my notes, dump Evernote, and start over. Of course, it would be painful. But like changing jobs, you just have to move on. Thanks!  

It is a scary move, and finding the perfect replacement is difficult, possibly even impossible. I have no difficulties with Evernote using Google's servers, but I made the decision to move on when Evernote announced their price hike without offering anything in return. Like yourself, OneNote somehow doesn't click with me either... of every feature I like, there are 3 other ones I hate.

I used a free trial of cloudHQ to transfer (and keep in sync) my notes to as many services as possible: Dropbox, OneNote, Amazon Drive and Google Drive. Dropbox and Amazon converted my files to PDF, which of course means I can't edit them any longer. OneNote in itself is good, it's just not for me.

That left Google Drive (of all services) which so far is proving to be the best option for me... notes are converted to native Google Docs, PDF or MS Word format (or all three, if you wish). Google keeps the Evernote notebook structure intact - I don't think it would work well with tags though. There are things I don't like of course, such as my carefully maintained note date system - which makes Evernote a much better place to archive correspondence by date, bills etc.

Like you I kept hoping Evernote would improve the basic things, such as line spacing and other format options, but when version 6 came out I concluded that these will probably never be prioritized. The price increase was the final straw which finally "forced" me to look for alternatives... I realize that in (basically) an anti Google thread, mentioning moving to Google is probably not the answer many are looking for :P But....... I just wanted to point out that by using services like cloudHQ or possibly others, you do have options to move your notes out to other places without too much of a hassle. Good luck!

Dear Evernote team, 

When reading the posts in this discussion, I perceive there are many questions and considerable uncertainties. You state in your Three Laws of Data Protection (link) you are not a "big data" company and do not make money off our content. That may have been true to date, yet, you just announced a partnership with one of the epitomes of big data. Your statement in the Three Laws that "Everything you put into Evernote is private by default." deserves scrutiny by your users.

Instead of having your users make implicit assumptions, please, make a clear video, Q&A or however best to convey the information in a clear and concise manner, answering all of the following questions:

1. What specifically can Google do with our notes on their servers?
  2. What has Evernote done to warrant the integrity of our notes on Google's servers?
  3. Is Google a mere hardware infrastructure provider or has it access to our notes, in the sense that it can search, read, mine and interpret them?
    1. If the capabilities of Google go beyond being a mere provider of hardware infrastructure, please, disclose what it can do with it.
  4. Are our notes encrypted with complete integrity when sent between the servers and any of the apps enabled by Evernote?
  5. Are our notes stored encrypted on the servers of Google?
  6. Who has the keys to decrypt encrypted information?
  7. What warranties have been put in place parties involved cannot change the rules of the game along the way?

The notes of your users are a goldmine as they are more intricate than surfing habits or emails; they potentially contain much more personal information than any of the services Google offers today. Therefore, your users are entitled to what exactly are the consequences for them and make an informed decision.

Look forward to receiving a concise and well documented answer and I certainly hope to continue in the line of trust I have had in you over the past 8 years.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Evernote Dutchman said:

Dear Evernote team, 

When reading the posts in this discussion, I perceive there are many questions and considerable uncertainties. You state in your Three Laws of Data Protection (link) you are not a "big data" company and do not make money off our content. That may have been true to date, yet, you just announced a partnership with one of the epitomes of big data. Your statement in the Three Laws that "Everything you put into Evernote is private by default." deserves scrutiny by your users.

Instead of having your users make implicit assumptions, please, make a clear video, Q&A or however best to convey the information in a clear and concise manner, answering all of the following questions:

1. What specifically can Google do with our notes on their servers?
  2. What has Evernote done to warrant the integrity of our notes on Google's servers?
  3. Is Google a mere hardware infrastructure provider or has it access to our notes, in the sense that it can search, read, mine and interpret them?
    1. If the capabilities of Google go beyond being a mere provider of hardware infrastructure, please, disclose what it can do with it.
  4. Are our notes encrypted with complete integrity when sent between the servers and any of the apps enabled by Evernote?
  5. Are our notes stored encrypted on the servers of Google?
  6. Who has the keys to decrypt encrypted information?
  7. What warranties have been put in place parties involved cannot change the rules of the game along the way?

The notes of your users are a goldmine as they are more intricate than surfing habits or emails; they potentially contain much more personal information than any of the services Google offers today. Therefore, your users are entitled to what exactly are the consequences for them and make an informed decision.

Look forward to receiving a concise and well documented answer and I certainly hope to continue in the line of trust I have had in you over the past 8 years.

hi. i have, of course, raised several concerns, some of which have not been addressed yet. but, i think that 1 is a bit open-ended, because they will be using google's api's in an as-of-yet undecided manner (some questions about that are being looked into). 2 i don't quite understand, except to say that evernote says they have thoroughly vetted google. 3 they have answered (except in the case of the api, which they are still checking on). 4 they have answered -- yes. 5 they have answered -- yes (but google has the keys). 6 has been answered -- yes. 7 there are no warranties and (like most companies these days) they can change the terms of service at any time; however, we can also leave relatively easily at any time using any of the export options.

in other words, with the exception of exactly what data (or data about our data) google gleans from evernote's use of google apis, everything has been answered already in this thread, i think.

42 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

(some questions about that are being looked into).

Yes, the question of Google's use of metadata that maybe generated from our use of Google cloud APIs is still open. Rich (Evernote Head of Security) and myself are working on this. It has not been forgotten.

Ben

A number of you have asked questions about Google’s ability to analyze the content of your notes and what metadata they collect through our use of Google Cloud APIs. 

As we note in our Privacy Policy, Evernote may analyze your data to improve the service we provide to you. We may use Google Cloud Services to help us, but different Google Cloud APIs interact with Evernote data in somewhat different ways, which doesn’t lend itself to providing one simple description of all use cases. 

We are in close contact with the Google team to ensure that the Evernote data is processed in ways that are consistent with our Privacy Policy, and Google is not allowed to process your data for its own use or in ways that deviate from our instructions. Before we start to use any new Google service, we will review it to understand if any user data is collected and how it might be processed. In the event we need to update our Privacy Policy to communicate such use to you, we will do so.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Rich Tener said:

A number of you have asked questions about Google’s ability to analyze the content of your notes and what metadata they collect through our use of Google Cloud APIs. 

As we note in our Privacy Policy, Evernote may analyze your data to improve the service we provide to you. We may use Google Cloud Services to help us, but different Google Cloud APIs interact with Evernote data in somewhat different ways, which doesn’t lend itself to providing one simple description of all use cases. 

We are in close contact with the Google team to ensure that the Evernote data is processed in ways that are consistent with our Privacy Policy, and Google is not allowed to process your data for its own use or in ways that deviate from our instructions. Before we start to use any new Google service, we will review it to understand if any user data is collected and how it might be processed. In the event we need to update our Privacy Policy to communicate such use to you, we will do so.

thanks for looking into it. it sounds like this is a little bit of a murky area, just where we would like it to be clear, and a concrete example might alleviate some of our concerns, because it says that google cannot process the data for its own use, but that seems kind of unlikely in a strict sense, so i'd like to know more. for example, google might well be analyzing data in aggregate after anonymizing it to improve its ai.

in fact, i would be kind of surprised if everyone was feeding data through their apis and google wasn't getting a single piece of data from that (data generated from our data). obviously, they aren't sitting around in a back room rifling through our notes, but how exactly they are interacting with our data would be nice to know. unfortunately, evernote's tos and privacy policy are vague enough that just about any third party doing services is ok. this is par for the course, to be sure, but doesn't really speak to this transparency thing. 

anyhow, a concrete example would be appreciated: for example, when evernote uses api x it feeds data z into the api and google retains data y for its uses (perhaps statistics on how much data was processed or something like that -- obviously, data from our data, but not anything reasonable folks are likely to care about). or, evernote uses api a, feeds data b into it, and google retains data c (handwriting samples to improved recognition -- maybe just letters, words, or phrases, but something significantly more personal than the first example).

35 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

For anyone wondering why there is mistrust towards Google and companies like Google, this just came out.

Yahoo Ads Insult to Injury

Taking into account that Google actions when they were hacked were totally opposite of what Yahoo! did and that Google Cloud has nothing to do with GMail then  no, I don't understand why you post this if it is not just for irrational FUD.

10 minutes ago, Oletros said:

Taking into account that Google actions when they were hacked were totally opposite of what Yahoo! did and that Google Cloud has nothing to do with GMail then  no, I don't understand why you post this if it is not just for irrational FUD.

Not irrational, just the opposite, it is what people hear about big companies. They don't care if its Google, Microsoft, Apple or Amazon. Its a big corporation. It would explain their irrationality, by being rationally distrustful of big corporations. As I have said in the intro " For anyone wondering why there is mistrust towards Google and companies like Google, this just came out." When you read this kind of things in the news often, don't be surprised if people right or wrong have distrust towards big corporations. If you look at this thread you will see that feelings are important. Feelings. People care far less about what is true or not true, and a lot more what how they feel about it. Just read those that choose to comment here and many that didn't the atmosphere is not brimming with trust and confidence. That was my point, if you keep hearing Yahoo had a breach, they hacked that other company, etc often enough in the news people form a perception about big corporations. Apperantely Evernote has not taken that into account and there are many ways to handle this kind of situation and put users at ease. I watched Microsoft when they launched their Windows 10 and were collecting user data for their digital assistant but people freaked out, thinking they are mining data for malicious use. Microsoft didn't respond for weeks and by that time it took on its own life. Everyone was freaking about in the social media. Evernote could learn from that next time they make a press release.

• 1 month later...

Wow.... Well, I have only read the first 9 pages (so forgive me if the other 9 pages answer these questions - still reading).... This is a pretty disturbing event for me. I had been moving away slowly anyway (missing features and lackluster community response to requests - see dark mode....).

As many cryptographers (like the preeminent bruce schneier) state: the Cybersecurity and data privacy are all about trust. My trust in Google consumer products is zero and the last two years with Evernote have losing trust with their consumers. I understand that Google CloudServices is a different business model altogether, but the ability for one disgruntled employee (from either company) to dump unencrypted data is frightening. Especially since the long-requested feature of notebook level encryption is a "low-priority"

Finally, I read earlier in this thread that Evernote will be data mining my data, first page Rich Tener:

"When we use Google's Cloud features like machine learning to help you find notes more easily, that doesn't change. 

... why is this needed? Surely existing indexing techniques are sufficient. Data mining has roughly four tasks: clustering, classification, dimensional reduction and regression. The last three are entirely impractical for search optimization and Evenote does not need to use clustering to provide search power.... so again, why in the world is this happening? The "three laws" of data privacy are nice fluff but do not define a transparent data security policy. Can Evernote please describe their internal data policy and how my (our) data is being used in ML?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, DeAtrament said:

This is a pretty disturbing event for me.

I see no reason to be disturbed; the back end processing decisions at Evernote do not indicate any change in regards to data mining etc.
I believe my data continues to be secure.

You mentioned Encryption.  

• Personally, I encrypt my sensitive data on Evernote.  
    I use encrypted PDFs, and Evernote has a built in encryption feature.  
  • I also see that a new change being implemented is "Encryption at Rest"
  • gbarry unpinned this topic

I have tried to ask this several times today.  Can I be guaranteed that my files which I currently store on Evernote will remain private and that NO ONE will have access to them at all?  The privacy and security of my files is of the utmost importance to me.  I never use clouds due to the insecurity.  This move greatly concerns me.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Sheilah said:

I have tried to ask this several times today.  Can I be guaranteed that my files which I currently store on Evernote will remain private and that NO ONE will have access to them at all?  The privacy and security of my files is of the utmost importance to me.  I never use clouds due to the insecurity.  This move greatly concerns me.

Your Evernotes, except for those in local notebooks,have always been available to a very limited set of Evernote employees since they live on the Evernote servers, and are not encrypted there, for purposes of indexing. The move to use the Google Cloud does not really change that basic fact. If you've being using Evernote, then you're already soaking in it.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sheilah said:

Can I be guaranteed that my files which I currently store on Evernote will remain private and that NO ONE will have access to them at all?  The privacy and security of my files is of the utmost importance to me.  I never use clouds due to the insecurity.

Absolutely.  If you encrypt your notes, guaranteed  they will remain private and NO ONE will be able to  read them

Otherwise, posting your data on the internet makes it available to the US NSA, Chinese agents...:)

In all seriousness, you're using the cloud right now.  You're an Evernote user and you're posting on a cloud forum (another name for the internet).  Where Evernote hosts their servers has no impact as to your privacy

On 9/13/2016 at 1:24 PM, Oletros said:

Those things are really said seriously? Do you really believe that a company like Google would break the law and the trust of their CUSTOMERS just to mine data.

The part about breaking encryption surely must be a bad joke

The point is Google's privacy language is very loose and gives them a legal loophole to mine data. 

On 11/12/2016 at 0:50 AM, Ksull said:

The point is Google's privacy language is very loose and gives them a legal loophole to mine data. 

No, it it isn't, and in the case of Google Cloud services it is even less loose. But if you think that the privacy language in the Google Cloud services can have loopholes to mine the data of their customers, please, point the exact lines in the TOS

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-10 at 3:50 PM, Ksull said:

34 minutes ago, Oletros said:

No, it it isn't, and in the case of Google Cloud services it is even less loose. But if you think that the privacy language in the Google Cloud services can have loopholes to mine the data of their customers, please, point the exact lines in the TOS

Am I even involved with Google's TOS?  As an Evernote user, I've only been concerned with Evernote's TOS

• 2 weeks later...

Google cloud platform blocks Sudanese IP's. so not Evernote or any service hosted on it will be able to used from here.. KhanAcademy for instance isn't accessible in Sudan

I didn't know about the migration a week ago when i couldn't sync my notes. Been with support but I don't think they have a clue of what is happening, but when i read this announcement i knew why i can't access Evernote and why it wouldn't work again for me

At least you could've moved to a provider that doesn't block usage depending on your country.. like AWS!!

or till your international users about where it isn't usable 

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, muhadi said:

Google cloud platform blocks Sudanese IP's. so not Evernote or any service hosted on it will be able to used from here.

I found this reference but it's for software export  https://cloud.google.com/terms/service-terms

10.4  Export Control. You acknowledge that the Licensed Software described under this EULA is subject to export control under the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and economic sanctions regulations administered by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Therefore, you may not export, reexport or transfer in-country the Licensed Software without first obtaining any license or other approval that may be required by BIS and/or OFAC. You are responsible for any violation of the U.S. or other applicable export control or economic sanctions laws, regulations and requirements related to the Licensed Software. By accepting this EULA, you confirm that you are not a resident or citizen of any country currently embargoed by the U.S. and that you are not otherwise prohibited from receiving the Licensed Software.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I found this reference but it's for software export  https://cloud.google.com/terms/service-terms

10.4  Export Control. You acknowledge that the Licensed Software described under this EULA is subject to export control under the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and economic sanctions regulations administered by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Therefore, you may not export, reexport or transfer in-country the Licensed Software without first obtaining any license or other approval that may be required by BIS and/or OFAC. You are responsible for any violation of the U.S. or other applicable export control or economic sanctions laws, regulations and requirements related to the Licensed Software. By accepting this EULA, you confirm that you are not a resident or citizen of any country currently embargoed by the U.S. and that you are not otherwise prohibited from receiving the Licensed Software.

Well Amazon AWS. Are definitely usable here

aren't they both governed by the same jurisdiction. Also it's Evernote responsibility to keep there users acess world wide

Google cloud blocking usage are over complaying to US regulations. Why they do keep Gmail & Gdrive usable from sudan

@muhadi,

what you are experiencing could be called  'collateral damage'.

As a European, non-US citizen, I have no right to comment on US legislation nor on any other country, apart from the one where I live and the one my passport is issued by.

Though no proof to my thoughts, the present EN manager had been in Google employment for years, knows the place and probably never cut the ropes, maybe just because of better terms, maybe in view to future collaboration, or simply because of ignorance. 

Hopefully EN find a way of letting you retrieve your notes (of course, also whoever else may be affected by Google hosting ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 2016-12-25 at 6:32 AM, muhadi said:

Google cloud platform blocks Sudanese IP's.

@benmc  I'd really like to hear Evernote's response to the embargoed countries question 

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@benmc  I'd really like to hear Evernote's response to the embargoed countries question 

Of course, we are aware of the situation and investigating exactly what exactly going on. We will update this thread once we have more details.

Ben

I live in Crimea and I can't use Evernote too since you migrated to Google Cloud. Also, I'm a Plus member. My work and personal life is tied with my notes in Evernote which I used on multiple devices and I'm really disappointed that I can't use it anymore.

2 hours ago, Alpeyek said:

I live in Crimea and I can't use Evernote too since you migrated to Google Cloud. Also, I'm a Plus member. My work and personal life is tied with my notes in Evernote which I used on multiple devices and I'm really disappointed that I can't use it anymore.

My story summed up excatly. Except I'm in Sudan

I'm a premium member. And depended on Evernote in everything. Suddenly you face this disappointing situation of bieng left out

I wanted to give an interim update on the situation. We have identified where and why the block is happening and we are now looking into the options to resolve this. Nothing concrete yet but we have a number of teams trying to fix this.

This was not intentional or expected, it's always frustrating when we are unable to serve our users and help them stay organized. We will update everyone when we have more information.

Ben

Piss poor planning Ben. This only shows a lack of Impact analysis and risk assessment on the part of Evernote. Get your ***** together or sell the company to someone who actually cares about making it better not just cheaper to run. Hell, for cheap you can get a USB drive and share it on the Internet.  That would be really cheap for Evernote to run; you would of course never have gotten the cultish following some companies crave for.  You should embrace that "cultish" following and try to cultivate it and being what Apple used to be.  

I can tell you unequivocally, that if Apple puts in some indexing features similar to what EN has, I would walk.  What used to be a proud use of the product has become more of a burden not knowing where the company is going, why they raised my prices, and what is the roadmap so I might be enticed to having hope and sticking around.  

Although i do not have geographical limitations accessing EN, I think the way in which this was handled is extremely unprofessional.  EN should offer these affected people full access to the service at n/c indefinitely in my opinion.  

You guys are big boys and girls. Start acting as such. 

All

We have just rolled out a fix that should improve the situation for most users over the next 24 hours. Being transparent due to the nature of this issue we are unable to fully test from impacted locations but we are confident this will significantly improve the situation.

Ben

14 hours ago, benmc said:

All

We have just rolled out a fix that should improve the situation for most users over the next 24 hours. Being transparent due to the nature of this issue we are unable to fully test from impacted locations but we are confident this will significantly improve the situation.

Ben

i can confirm that Evernote is now accessible. This back end update restored the service

Now for the aftermath my irrelevant personal thoughts:

In those 20 days of blackout from Evernote my productivity took a severe hit, one can't imagine how being dependent on a workflow and lose it feel. It feels darn bad.. I even tried to switch to OneNote but since a lot of things needed extra clicks and found that many things missing it didn't feel like home to me. Though OneNote has a solid RTL and Arabic OCR support which EN misses. but the mobile app is a joke.

I took a step back and thought about going retro and bare bones with simple "File/Folder" mechanism, to untie my self from any ecosystem. I didn't like it either

Yes.. there is a place for more improvements and concerns about company pricing, privacy and future, But nothing is simple and smooth as EN. it is the best software in its field.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

Evernote cares for our Privacy??!!

17 hours ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

Perhaps Google is planning a takeover of Evernote and will dump Keep.

17 hours ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

What about customer autonomy?!!!??!!

I'm not seeing any change to Evernote's policies from the latest data server changes

Are your posts based on any real facts? 

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not seeing any change to Evernote's policies from the latest data server changes

Are your posts based on any real facts? 

Google has 35bn in bank, is predatory in nature, is adtech company who cares little for privacy.

Evernote hasn't been swallowed up yet but companies swallowed up by adtech surveillance capitalism mean Evernote poses an interesting exploitation problem.

Good reads lost everything good about it when Amazon took over now its a non stop RECOMENDATIONS engine.

Surveillancecapitalism is wrecking previously good companies.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

Google has 35bn in bank, is predatory in nature, is adtech company who cares little for privacy.

Parts of Google are highly concerned about client privacy.  This includes the Cloud Services Evernote is using

>>Evernote hasn't been swallowed up yet

I think they'd welcome a buyer, but user data isn't for sale

If and when a sale happens, I'll deal with it then and make sure my data continues to be  protected

Evernote New Terms and Conditions

You give us unlimited license to use to use your CONTENT for advertising etc.

you absolve us of all liability if our app fucks you up in some way. 

Legal action must take form of private arbitration under Federal Arbitration Act in California, 

adjust to take account of the platform.

in order to use platform you are forced to have notes scanned by the platform,

Google Cloud platform tells me all I need to know about what might could happen.

ad words scanning.you write note about bananas you get ads about bananas products.

lots of possibilities!

audio files can be scanned for voice recognition 

photos for facial recognition the possibilities are endless.monetize away.

Evernote may be sweet and innocent now,google does things well.

doesnt mean you should rape my privacy for profit and make further inroads into our privacy.

Evernote terms and conditions are a adhesion contract handed down from on high.

adhesion contracts cannot be challenged yet assent if you can call it that is wrapped in a boilerplate once you have marketed to high heaven.

PRIVACY policies mean NOTHING in an era of totalitarian dictatorship of corporations who only exploit you for your data.

The words of CURRENT t&c mean NOTHING neither will updates that take account of the platform.

7 minutes ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

Dang. I really need to start reading Terms and Conditions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

Evernote terms and conditions are a adhesion contract handed down from on high.

adhesion contracts cannot be challenged yet assent if you can call it that is wrapped in a boilerplate once you have marketed to high heaven.

PRIVACY policies mean NOTHING in an era of totalitarian dictatorship of corporations who only exploit you for your data.

The words of CURRENT t&c mean NOTHING neither will updates that take account of the platform.

I feel like I just wandered into the wrong room - what new "terms and conditions"?  Anyone got a URL so I can read this for myself?  The T&C's I know about are here,  as is the privacy policy - which is very clear and protective of user data.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313518

2 hours ago, aspiringgeekygirl said:

Legal action must take form of private arbitration under Federal Arbitration Act in California, 

adjust to take account of the platform.

in order to use platform you are forced to have notes scanned by the platform,

Google Cloud platform tells me all I need to know about what might could happen.

ad words scanning.you write note about bananas you get ads about bananas products.

Please, can you provide the part of the T&C of Evernote or Google Cloud where this is allowed?

Becasue you're not inventing it, isn't?

Archived