claudecyrill

Idea

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have serious problems with the web UI; it basically puts a stop to my workflow process. I wonder if the differing opinions might center around how Evernote is used. 

I'm primarily a Folders user, though I use Tags as well. My workflow all comes into one central folder, and then I assign it to folders that follow the GTD system ("Right Now,", "This Week", "Someday"). But with the new Web UI, I can't move a note from one notebook to the next without actually going into that notebook. That means I have to go back to the notebook tab, find my folder with the incoming notes, then repeat the whole process. With the old system, I could just look at my Incoming folder, toss the notes into the appropriate Notebook, and be done organizing in seconds. This means the Beta web UI is pretty much unusable for me. 

I know the Microsoft ribbon has received a lot of derision, even from me, probably because we like the old way of using the app that we originally learned. But, look how much it packs into such a tiny and relatively easy to navigate space.

Yup, and all these years later, using Office every day, I still hate the ribbon and wish for the old menu. I still struggle to find things that I use semi frequently, and it takes me more clicks to get there.

Just give your users a simple way to hide and/or collapse UI elements.  Heck, even make it the default if you want, as long as power users can turn them back on no harm done.

That would be nice. Like in Photoshop. The interface has tools all over it. But sometimes you do want to see just the image you're working on. Pressing the Tab key toggles all the toolbars and application chrome on and off.

• Level 5*

'Twould be wrong to single Jeff out for the  harangues in this thread, JM did some flame fanning as well.  Perhaps next time something like this occurs, whomever the authors, forum participants can ask them to go to personal messaging to save the inbox.  End of the day though, this is what you get with democracy.

• Level 5*

I know the Microsoft ribbon has received a lot of derision, even from me, probably because we like the old way of using the app that we originally learned. But, look how much it packs into such a tiny and relatively easy to navigate space.

Yup, and all these years later, using Office every day, I still hate the ribbon and wish for the old menu. I still struggle to find things that I use semi frequently, and it takes me more clicks to get there.

Jeff, I tend to agree with you:  I didn't like the MS ribbon when it came out, and I don't prefer it today.

Having said that, at least Microsoft gives you the OPTION to modify the shortcut bar.  I make use of this extensively, and as a result I am able to tolerate, and even take advantage of, the new MS UI.

This is where Evernote falls short.  I don't mind if they, by default, present a very minimal UI, as long as they allow me to customize it, like Micosoft, to include the tools in the toolbar that are important to me.

For some reason, Evernote seems to be adverse to providing the User with options.

For some reason, Evernote seems to be adverse to providing the User with options.

I am not saying this just to rant, this industry is having a fair number of incompetent User Experience people driving software UI design who have the "religion" and they are on a mission to "minimize distractions" and "simplify".  These people are akin to interior designers that don't think you should ever see a TV in the room, even if the purpose of the room is for it to be a media room.  They know what's best for you and their artistic sensibilities are not going to be compromised for tasteless barbarians, they are creating something that is "beautiful" and "simple", you don't need those damn options!

EVERNOTE HAS CHANGED ITS VISION

It is no longer interested in letting you retrieve your information as its main purpose

So the New Web UI reflects this new Vision, not what we thought it was.

These posts from another thead are very relavent

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/73509-me-vs-market/?locale=en

[ . . . ] This video by Andrew Sinkov gives some insight into how the process has unfolded at Evernote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nKF2Xp_g24&feature=youtu.be

I have some extremely strong thoughts about what has happened, because I bought into the original metaphors ("remember everything" and your "external brain"), and the new one ("one workspace") leaves me behind. The "work" they have in mind is not my "work," [emphasis added by me] and I would prefer to have seen them achieve success with the original objective, which no one else out there can deliver (at least, not on every major platform). They were pioneers in attempting this ("remember everything"), but they aren't pioneers in making a "workspace" for me  [ . . . ]

So I think I am seeing the Modus Operandi behind the new Web Based Client UI -- Evernote is no longer interested in our ability to retrieve information as its core use but to be a workspace for collaborative projects for corporations and small work groups -- that's great if you want a good Microsoft replacement but it's not what a lot of us use Evernote for.

The 100 year company of information retrieval is gone. I am troubled and keeping my eyes open for the next company that wants and is interested in storing and meaningful Retrieval of MY information.

Yes, I agree Evernote is definitely evolving away from what it used to be and going towards focusing on work. I think they trying to knock Microsoft Office into oblivion. They are moving away from what initially attracted me to Evernote in the first instance. And are now more concerned with how to help people do better work. I personally use Evernote for storage and GTD. But I am starting to worry about Evernote now as from the various media coverage out there lately about Evernote, they are heading in a different direction. Don't get me wrong, work is great and helping people to do high achieving work is cool. But this is not what attracted me to Evernote and I always thought of Evernote as a flexible application but now after their release of the new Evernote Web it is no longer flexible. And they starting to focus more on doing work like writing, work chat, presentations, etc. I am actually now contemplating departure because Evernote is moving in a new direction. It's a shame really because I been a loyal premium customer for few years and built up my confidence in Evernote. But they failed to keep up with what they first started out to do...

The web interface is simply not usable to me.  It's beyond frustrating and has me, again, seeking a better solution for real, productive, hard-core, note-taking and information gathering.

I'm sure the interface has been reviewed as "fresh" and "friendly" and such. But is it really? So much white space, so much wasted room, so little of *my* data, fonts are GIANT, etc.  As has been said in this thread earlier, my desktop IS NOT a tablet or Android device/iPhone.

I do hope you guys realize that once Google Keep gets tags and some real organizational features that their much simpler interface and denser presentation of information (though still not perfect) is going to greatly affect your business.

I've tired to use Evernote since early 2008 and it has always proved to be too bulky and non-intuitive.  This newest update is no different -- it's shallow, too cute, and, most importantly, I still can't get to my information easily.

I'm stuck using the web UI as my primary desktop interface since I'm on Linux at work, and I'm fearing the day I can no longer use the classic web interface. This new one is such a major regression in functionality and speed of basic operations, I am going to have to look for alternatives to Evernote just to maintain my efficiency.

I assume the design team has a very clear idea who they're designing this for, but unfortunately it seems I'm not one of those people.  I am full cognizant of the idea that the web UI is never going to be as featureful as a desktop version, but this feels almost like I'm being penalized for not using the desktop app.

This new UI royally sucks. Everything (what little is there) is kindergarten-sized buttons. Somebody apparently thinks that a real productivity application has to look like the (already outdated) "flat" dumbed-down page, or look like some little kid's telephone toy. Geez!

I am on a quest to find out how to roll this back so I can get some work done. I really hope that's possible. I use the web UI all the time (nothing else exists for Linux!!!) and I can't be taking hours to figure this thing out -- assuming that's even possible. I've been a premium customer for years, but won't be for long if I can't roll this back. I'd rather figure out how to export everything than spend time trying to work with this brain dead UI.

Did I mention it sucks?

• Level 5*

Glennie,

I think you may be giving EN too much credit relative to knowing.  I agree a company by definition takes their product where they think is best.  Typically successful companies do that with a clear value proposition by 1) solving a problem, be it service or product, and 2) doing it in a high quality fashion.  How well they do depends upon both.  Early EN as a second brain, even thought quality was a bit light, did well.  Zero to 100 million in quick order, with a percentage of paying customers.  The market approved.

IMO, EN's problem of late is that the first above is murky and the latter is woefully lacking.  You have to have both.  Some of this tilting at windmills is not a good sign as far as I'm concerned.  The quality demand will skyrocket and they don't seem up to it.  They also seem to be following as opposed to leading.

To be clear I am an avid EN user who finds EN indispensable as my second brain after five years.  I'd as son it not get screwed up.  It is all about me after all.   ;)

I am not saying this just to rant, this industry is having a fair number of incompetent User Experience people driving software UI design who have the "religion" and they are on a mission to "minimize distractions" and "simplify".  These people are akin to interior designers that don't think you should ever see a TV in the room, even if the purpose of the room is for it to be a media room.  They know what's best for you and their artistic sensibilities are not going to be compromised for tasteless barbarians, they are creating something that is "beautiful" and "simple", you don't need those damn options!

I know what you mean. I don't like clutter either, but there is a middle ground between clean for clean's sake, and busy with distractions.

Look how clean and simple this room is. :D 

padded-1-1211.jpg

I prepare class notes for teaching on Evernote, which I then project on screen in the classroom.

I really appreciate the white space and the lack of distraction.

And the notes look beautiful on screen.

:)

Well, white space for Presentation mode is appropriate, just not for searching, browsing and editing notes. I need more out of that interface.

I know what you mean. I don't like clutter either, but there is a middle ground between clean for clean's sake, and busy with distractions.

padded-1-1211.jpg

This triggered memory of the late Steve Jobs (may he RIP) and if I remember correctly he wanted everything to be white so to minimise distractions. I think in his book he mentions his house rooms were painted all white so to stimulate clear thinking!

• Level 5*

@Jeng,

The icon is for Awesome Screenshot, a unique extension to Firefox/Chrome, nothing to do with Google Drive as far as I know.  Just another alternative for screenshots.

Quick feed back on the new UI.

I like new the UI.

I'm certainly missing features that I use, especially reminders, but I can live without them for a while because I'm a premium user who uses the windows desktop and the Android client.

I only use the Web UI when I'm at work, where I can't install the Windows client.

I had many problems with the old UI under the Chrome browser and had opened a number of tickets.

For months I see Evernote’s team has been trying to get rid of screen elements as much as possible, replace text labels with icons, hide search field, etc. — to transform environment into “minimalistic, spacious, not that cluttered” one. In the end, it distracts me far more, because of doing more than less to research data previously collected with Clipper and Clearly. And now you say the old version is eventually gonna be dropped in favor of the new one? What a weird understanding of progress — to break things that work efficiently enough. So it’s the very time to search for a Evernote replacement then?

Thank you for giving users the option to opt out. In my simple word:

Looks +

Usability --

Maybe fine if you have 20 notes. Not for me with 2500+. Why use up so much space with empty space? Makes it painfully annoying on laptop computers.

Where did the drag and drop go? This is a dealbreaker for my usage of Evernote as a storage and note/task management tool. Might as well sign up for Asana, Basecamp or Trello and invest my premium account money there instead...

Glennie,

I think you may be giving EN too much credit relative to knowing.

In Glennie's defense, I do not think he ever said Evernote was right to do this. I can imagine many circumstances where software companies are kinda forced to make a Hail Mary pass at the market. It could be, for instance, that Evernote took venture capitalist money and are now expected to make very high returns (another thing I have seen ruin otherwise brilliant startups) or that they have put themselves in a corner where their otherwise very successful niche product is just not enough. Having not researched this, I am just guessing, but being expected to move worlds drains the strength out of a lot of companies. I would much rather see Evernote focus on what they have and add incremental improvements (like work chat) than try to reinvent their basic premise, as with the Web Beta.

• Level 5*

Now that I have been using the new Web Beta for a while, I have some more suggestions (though I doubt anyone from Evernote is actually reading this): 

You'd be incorrect on that score.

My apologies, then. 

Just to clarify. They do read every post here (or so they tell us, and I have no reason to doubt it), but they don't reply to everything, nor do they give out future plans very often, and especially they almost never ever give out release dates.

They do welcome suggestions, though.

Short and sweet, the new web UI SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.  I'm aghast, devastated, disappointed (and that's a major understatement).  Someone noted the new UI might be good for those who dabble in Evernote but that it's not very good for power users--exactly right!  Another person commented there's a lot of unused or dead space, something to that effect, without much information present on the page.  Yup.  There's no context--notes just float in space and take up way too much space.  I need to see my notebooks, shortcuts, notes, everything in one view.  I love the current UI.  Is Evernote changing it just for the sake of change?  Were people complaining?  I'll seriously have to reevaluate my use of Evernote if they force this new web UI on us.  And if they roll this same terrible design to the desktop, I'm gone.  I don't know what I'll replace it with but I'll find a way.  Google drive, Pocket, lots of other options that maybe I'll need to mix and match but this is a piece of *****.  At the very least, let us configure pages ourselves so I can set up a page like the current UI.  You're about to blow it, Evernote.

The desktop clients aren't an option for you? (e.g., you use linux, or a managed work computer)?

The new Web based interface, currently in Beta testing, is horrible. Horrendous. Terrible. It discards essential functionality, for example, it removes (or hides very well) the ability to link text to an URL. Now, in the 21st century, a note-taking service which does not allow linking text to an URL is useless. Seriously, notetaking in the 21st century without links? I t   a l s o   w a s t e s   s p a c e. Evernote is known for its utilitarian aesthetic, where the emphasis is put on content; the new Web interface sacrifices content in favour of oceans of white space.

And the fonts! The fonts! They are gray, not black. They are some designer's idea of "good", not the plain generic sans-serif. Why?

Please Evernote, reconsider your design goals, or make them explicit and allow the users to choose between industrial functionality and postindustrial beauty. Allow the users to choose between a full-feature Web interface, and a reduced-functionality interface for use on low-end mobile devices. (But please, don't force the reduced-functionality interface when you detect a mobile browser; some of us do use 10 inch tablets, thank you.)

Been 6 months since I left Evernote after many years of being Premium user. So I thought I'd quickly add a post because my annual renewal date has just passed and guess what folks? I didn't renew my subscription (no surprise there!).

Just want to let you know that these days I'm using Google to manage all my data and the like. Everything that I used to do in Evernote, I now do it with Google products. It was hard at first and a bit frustrating to adjust because I missed the familiar functionality that Evernote used to provide me with. For example, the ease with which I could clip webpages to Evernote and the ability to tag notes. Not to mention everything done in one product as opposed to several products. But things started to get easier after a month or so of using Google. You have to stick with it long enough for new habits to build and replace the old ways of doing things. 

I found new ways of clipping webpages into Google Drive. And found out that I didn't really need tags because I could mimic the tag functionality using extra folders in Google Drive. And if I need to search something I find Google Search is more than adequate. I personally use the following: 

• Google Drive to store all my content
  • Gmail for Email
  • Google Keep for quick note taking
  • Google Docs for all my Word, Excel, Powerpoint needs
  • Google Calendar for appointments/events.

I found that the best thing I could do with my existing Evernote data was to export it out and archive it on my PC (obviously creating back up on external HDD too!). And then to just start from scratch in Google Drive with notebooks being replaced by folders. If I ever need the old content then I can always do a search using my PC. Also some things can be transferred electronically using a on-line synchronisation tool (sorry can't remember the name but there is a topic for it somewhere here in the forums) that I did for stuff that I need constantly like receipts and bills etc...

It's working great so far and now several months later I find it very easy to use this as part of my productivity system. And best thing for me is all this doesn't cost my anything! Google is free to use... One thing that I don't use Google for is my tasks because this (for me) is far too basic for my needs. So I use Remember The Milk for that and this is a very powerful task management tool that helps me stay on the ball with all my daily tasks. I pay for Remember The MIlk as I need it on my mobile devices so this is the only thing I pay for.

Google allows me to do almost everything I could ever do in Evernote and for me the peace of mind of working on stable systems is a big plus.

Finally, I just had a quick look around my Evernote Web account (I haven't logged in for 6 months!!) and it is almost still the same. It seems Evernote has not made much progress at all! Just as well I jumped ship when I did because if I sat around waiting for Evernote to make the change then looks like I would have been waiting a long long time or maybe Evernote will never make the change.

All the best folks!!!

I just used the extension in Chrome to clip a recipe.

I opened it in the web interface to try and edit something, and became INCREDIBLY frustrated. The formatting is not right, and I'm hunting all over looking for a way to simplify formatting, and I can't find it anywhere. Worse than that, the article is in a 2 column format, and is wide enough that it's getting cut off at the right side, But you can't really tell that's the issue, because you can't tell where the page margin is, it just ends in white space leaving a no-man's land for the formatting tools to live in.

You can't even tell that the note is wider than the visible pane, because, get this...there is no horizontal scroll bar to give you an indication that you can scroll left and right to see the rest of the content!

Wait...no, there is a horizontal scroll bar, but you have to scroll vertically down to the end of the note to see it along the bottom. It is only visible down there, it's not fixed to the frame! Insane! THAT is some frustrating UI right there.

I don't like the new web beta. I tried it for a week or so, finally felt so frustrated trying to get around that I switched back to the old version. I agree, the old version may seem a little cluttered, but the new is really hard to navigate efficiently.

• Level 5*

@Skells,

Agreed, I in no way meant to imply that Glennie said that EN was right to do this.  My intent was to say IMO he was being optimistic relative to "Maybe they know but just aren't letting on".  The new stuff is hip and buzz worthy, but  put together are there specific competitor(s) in mind?  Don't think so, I think it is more someone's vision of what EN should be.  Again, it's what companies do.

If anything in my above post I tried to make the point that I am of the opinion that the direction and execution of EN as a value proposition is not where it needs to be at the moment.  Perhaps some of the things you mention are the cause of the change in direction, perhaps somebody just thinks it's the way to go.  Whichever, I think the way they are going about it at the moment is not right.  Perhaps I will have the opportunity to eat these words at some point in the future, distant as it may be.

• Level 5*

Now that I have been using the new Web Beta for a while, I have some more suggestions (though I doubt anyone from Evernote is actually reading this): 

You'd be incorrect on that score.

My apologies, then. 

Of course there is no way for any of us to actually know whether or not an Evernote employee reads EVERY post here (it would get very boring/tedious with some threads that get off-topic).  The only way I know of to make sure Evernote will read your request/issue, is to submit a Support Ticket.  Unfortunately, Evernote has now restricted use of Support Tickets to Premium account owners, except for reporting bugs, data loss, or account issues, which are also available to Free account owners.

• Level 5*

I'm sorry, but that room is way too distracting!   All those lines drawing my attention away from . . ., well, the air!   :D

• Level 5

What's Wrong with this Clean Writing Window?

Can some of you folks who really prefers a "clean" writing environment please explain to me what is wrong with the current (non-Beta) EN Web client, when you take advantage of the "Open Note in Window" option?

It looks very clean and uncluttered to me.  So, please, help me out.  What's wrong with this:

Screen Shot of Current EN Web app with Note in It's Own Window

There is indeed nothing wrong with it. If you want to concentrate on a single note while working on it you can use this window and you don't need a new fancy design. This is I think what you want to say.

However, for me this feature of opening notes in separate windows has a completely different meaning. Quite often I need to work on a number of interrelated notes and I like to have them open side by side. I am using two monitors and have a lot of space available. It is much easier than to create a search that finds all the related notes and always switch between them.

And I am using one note that is the top of my favourites list and gets opened every morning in a separate window and contains the tasks for the day.

You see, without the feature of opening notes in separate windows my way of working would be influenced quite a bit.

Continuing from where I left off yesterday.

It is all a bit remarkable, you know.

If we assume (reasonably?)  that the number of people unhappy and telling us is the tip of a considerable iceberg, then there must be a serious risk of Evernote losing a great many users and subscribers to Premium. (See, for example,post #181 in this thread.)

Many of these subscribers might be encouraged to hang on in there if they knew that there most important gripes were going to be dealt with in the near future.

So why doesn't Evernote do the obvious thing and issue periodic statements about development plans in an effort to hang on to disgruntled Premium customers? (Or have they done it somewhere and I haven't seen it?)

Four weeks of silence is a heck of a lot of silence.

Possibilities:

1. The Web version just doesn't generate enough cash to warrant the attention.

2. Evernote does not know where it wants to go with the Web version.

3. Evernote is inundated with work and can't keep up.

4. Evernote is just inept when it comes to customer relations.

5. The Web version is presenting considerable technical difficulties that are hampering development.

Have I missed any?  :)

My comment is super-simple and innocuous.  No doubt I will be thrashed for it. :)

On the left hand side, I expected the Notebooks icon to show 2 or 3 of them stacked and fanned (show show that clicking the button would show multiple notebooks.    post-226347-0-22399400-1412354034_thumb.

Actually, I like the new UI.  

I appreciate any attempts at lessening the visual input I have to take in.  Similar to skinnying down the number of apps I have on my iPhone because the new one I got had half the memory of my old one, I've found myself asking which features/toolsbards, etc. I HAVE to display on an app to get the same work down.  In this case, EV has guessed pretty close for me.

What I really want, though, is to be able to assign a cover image to each of my notebooks, which is more of a desktop app critique, but would have relevance here, as well.

As a power user, I think the new web design is interesting. Obviously it is in beta. Obviously they will add more and more functionality. The concept is great. Visually it is less cluttered. It looks more modern and fresh. I think it's a decent place to test things out. I don't get why people are pulling their hair out... I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection. I think it's a great place to tinker around... plus there is a way to roll back to the current version. The beta version is just that... beta. We all understand that it is experimental. What tickles me is that people are posting multiple threads on what's missing from the beta version... even when they don't use those features on the web version. 

At least the current beta web version is sufficiently different to warrant a discussion AND worth tinkering around with now. It's a simplified work space that (some) may prefer. People have been complaining about the drab web/ desktop versions. This is a change in the right direction... and I don't think that is it even close to being rolled out. It's in the early stages. I think they're starting with the bare basics, and then will add on more functionality based on user gripes. 

I think one would be hard pressed to find all those people who've been using the web version (or even glanced at it) previous to this beta... and I think most of the ranting is premature. Patience is a virtue... especially in this fast-paced digital world. I don't for one minute think Evernote would roll out the current beta version without significantly revamping it. let's save the complaining for later. It's like signing up for a volunteer humanitarian program... only to complain about the environment and working conditions.

While I appreciate the passion, let's please ratchet it down a bit. Thanks to everyone for the continued feedback!

We have another updated release here--I've also included a list of feature sets that are coming as well: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/74821-web-beta-release-notes-1112/

If you're actively using the beta and run into a particular bug we definitely want to hear about it.

I appreciate that Evernote is following the feedback, but disappointed that all the new release is about is features unrelated to the usability complaints and bug fixes. My problems aren't bugs, but actual features of the design...

I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection.

Obviously, a lot of people...? That seems like a really ill-informed thing to say. People who are always between devices and therefore need the sync and thus the internet connection, anyway. People with older or slower computers or minimal drive space left. People who have found the desktop version takes too long to load because they have far too many notebooks. People who simply prefer using a fully-functional web app when they're already online and in a browser versus downloading and wasting resources on a desktop program.

I've never found the desktop version to be more functional. In fact, I deleted it within a half-week of installing it, as it was slower and harder on my system while offering nothing more or less than the web version. Taking such an attitude toward the design and functionality of the web app, attempting to justify lessened functionality because there's a desktop version optional, completely ruins the point of even having a web app. For mobile devices, there's the iOS/Android app. The web version was meant for use on real computer systems. It was meant to be an alternative to the desktop version. It's there for people who may be borrowing computers or using it at work, in an environment where downloading the desktop version isn't an option.

What tickles me is that people are posting multiple threads on what's missing from the beta version... even when they don't use those features on the web version.

Says who? How would you know what they do or don't use? I would assume, even if they are reporting on missing elements they don't use, it's for the information of those who do use the features. After all, there were no release notes or warnings to go by when given the option to try the beta.

I think one would be hard pressed to find all those people who've been using the web version (or even glanced at it) previous to this beta...

What does that mean? How would they even know the web beta existed if not for having logged into the web app in the first place?

and I think most of the ranting is premature. Patience is a virtue... especially in this fast-paced digital world. I don't for one minute think Evernote would roll out the current beta version without significantly revamping it. let's save the complaining for later. It's like signing up for a volunteer humanitarian program... only to complain about the environment and working conditions.

Saving the complaining for later is exactly why so many programs etc. end up rolling out horrendously disapproved and inconvenient features. If those who have tried the beta sit back complacently in the vague hopes that things will get better, without voicing what they dislike or even hate, then the entire purpose of beta testing has been destroyed.

Your comparison is heavy-handed and intended to insult, it seems. Also, not at all similar. We were provided an option to test the beta layout with no indication what it would entail. That's like signing up for "a trip to a foreign country" and expecting France, only for it to turn out to be an impoverished third-world country-- if you insist upon using that comparison. Expressing discontent with the design direction is giving feedback. Expressing frustration in the complete redirection from functionality to aesthetic is giving feedback. Ranting because we've become frustrated by other sites in this day and age forcing the same design elements down our throats and we're upset to see Evernote go the same direction is far from illogical.

They changed something, put it in testing, and are getting feedback. Should those of us who dislike it just shut up and wait, then the only feedback they'll see is the positive and thus they'll not have an accurate depiction of who's unhappy or what we consider to be the negative aspects.

I'll have to disagree with Frank.dg above. I'm a heavy Evernote user with thousands of notes who uses the Web client, desktop client, and ios client on iPad and iPhone.

The web client has a critical feature that will always drive some users to it: the data is not stored on your local hard drive. If you are like me, and need to access your personal Evernote account through your work-supplied computer, you don't want that computer to download all your personal Evernote files. It's not your computer, and could be taken from you at any minute, or could become the subject of a court-ordered discovery and then searched thoroughly as part of that investigation. (I work in the legal field.)

So, I use a local-only Evernote desktop for my work files, but if I need to access my personal workflow, I need to use the web client.

I've seen several other comments here that mirror what I've described above, so I imagine there are a fair amount of us out there.

So . . .  back to how the new Web UI Beta sucks pond water.

It's as if Adobe Photoshop started stripping away functions so they cold look more like Microsoft Paint -- that is insanity, Phil Libin.

• NO ONE likes the "Suggested" content Facebook pushes on people.  

• WE DON'T need yet more INPUT platforms -- we have our phones. We have our Pads

• WHAT WE DO NEED is meaningful context platform to do meaningful searches and the ability to move information, data and notes. We can't do that wtih the new Web Beta

You are KILLING the most prized thing you have -- the most versatile visual platform database on the planet

WHY ARE YOU BETTING THE FARM . . . so you can look more like Facebook???

Put the gun down Phil Libin, Step away from from pulling the trigger. Life is meaningful as an External Brain . . .. It's okay Phil . ..  You were doing good. . .  You were at the top . . .  You were . . ., You were ALREADY "bending the universe"

You want a platform for working with business -- build it -- separately --  link it somehow.

YOU DON'T KILL WHAT IS WORKING AND WHAT IS LEADING THE WORLD ALREADY

Put the gun down Phil . .. . .. Put it down . . .

I gave it a fair try, immersed myself in it for a few weeks. I can't take it anymore, I've gone back to the old interface. It feels soooo much better.

How did you do this?

I'm trying to run the older version and it's telling me that my EN data is managed by a newer version .

How can I bypass this?

Jeff510 is referring to the web interface. 

Your problem relates to desktop Evernote application and is unrelated to the web beta. 

The problem you are encountering usually occurs when you do not properly and completely uninstall the original application. See the proper directions for uninstalling here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

Once you properly uninstall the application, you can install whichever version, including older versions, you want. 

• Level 5*

Of course there is no way for any of us to actually know whether or not an Evernote employee reads EVERY post here (it would get very boring/tedious with some threads that get off-topic).  The only way I know of to make sure Evernote will read your request/issue, is to submit a Support Ticket.  Unfortunately, Evernote has now restricted use of Support Tickets to Premium account owners, except for reporting bugs, data loss, or account issues, which are also available to Free account owners.

In this world, we rarely know anything for certain, but I do know that Evernote employees have said it often enough, as you well know. It's easy enough to verify; just do a forum search on "we read every post"; you'll find plenty of hits. I happen to take them at their word, others may not; if you want to claim that they're lying when they say it, then that's your business. But at least be up front about it.

L.K. and Skells,

Yes... That was probably quite narrow-minded and ill-informed. I would do well to remember that there are a variety of users each with their own use cases. I might have sung a different tune if I had an older desktop or one with limited space that froze up or needed to access Evernote on a computer not my own... i.e. business computer, etc. 

No offense or mockery intended with the "volunteer program" illustration. The way I see it, this is simply a beta version... and I think it more prudent to suggest and discuss rather than rant about a beta version that is yet in it's infancy... a beta version that we opt in for... not a feature that has actually been pulled. I was vociferous when they pulled the public notebook feature, along with many other users. It came back real quick. I know that this forum is intended for specifically that... and I think it's more than fine to rant... in fact, one should... but, as I mentioned before, I think a heated attack is perhaps jumping the gun. It's only beta. I guess what I'm saying is that it may be more constructive in a beta testing scenario to suggest... and even gripe a little... as opposed to an outright and overly negative attack. 

In my experience, Evernote has listened to its users specifically when it comes to important/ significant features that have been pulled. Nobody wants a regress. Obviously the beta web app is barely functional for those who depend on it. The most obvious thing to me was not being able to search for a specific notebook... one has to scroll and hunt it down. Frustrating if I were stuck with that. But one can roll back to the current version, since you obviously rely on it. 

I will jump right into the thick of things with the web version users and get loud... if they rolled out this beta version as is. It is obviously not acceptable, nor practically functional. I just get the feeling that it is in its infancy. 

EDIT: found this post by a Linux user... holy moley. Now there's another use case that totally depends on the web client (I sympathize):

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/69024-beta-is-just-one-thing-rubbish/#entry307207

I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection. 

Me, for starters. I would really like EN to work properly on my Chromebook. Including offline support. 

Me too. Chromebook usage is very important. If this becomes the only web interface, I'm in trouble.

I'm using the new UI for a month now, and I must say I'm impressed.

Certainly the right direction to go in my opinion. Clean, distraction free editing, with simple and efficient controls.

I really like  the formatting pop up bar when you select text.

A comment for users that claim that there a lot of wasted real estate on the display. 

Take into account that for decades we ware using (IMO ill-designed) interfaces by having drop-down menus and buttons crammed in every corner of the interface. So we kind of got used to that and when things are removed, we get a sense of loss of control and efficiency. Well, habits change provided enough time is invested. It is more important to have an interface that maximizes your attention in editing the text (your content) rather than add noise with thumbnails, buttons and menus.

Usually I open multiple tabs with notes that I wont to focus on, and just have few clean pages for editing. I don't miss at all the note selection lists and other widgets present in the previous design.

There room for improvement though but thumbs up for the new design, I really like the philosophy of the new UI.

Cheers

I would like just to comment on new beta web UI. I think it is terrible. Totally counterproductive. You have no immediate overview on notebook tree, notes in that notebook or anything at all. When you open one note you do not see where this note is in your notebooks structure. For every insight on this you need few extra mouse clicks. Catastrophic. As you turn us back in productivity for 10 years.

Other wise I am one of your first user for cca 10 years.

I hope you will reconsider your new web UI.

Overall, I have no major issues with the new web UI, bearing in mind there is more functionality to come.

I would really like to be able to view notes as cards in the new UI, not just the clipping view. I feel the card view would actually work pretty well in the redesign. Depending on how it was done, you could probably display more notes simultaneously in card view.

• Level 5*

In this world, we rarely know anything for certain, but I do know that Evernote employees have said it often enough, as you well know. It's easy enough to verify; just do a forum search on "we read every post"; you'll find plenty of hits. I happen to take them at their word, others may not; if you want to claim that they're lying when they say it, then that's your business. But at least be up front about it.

You can quit acting like you have authoritative knowledge on this subject.  You can also quit putting words in my mouth.

You have your opinion, and that's fine.  But that's all it is, an opinion.  If you choose to believe everything everybody tells you, well then all I can say is, good luck with that.

But we can do a test right here, right now.  When an Evernote Employe reads this post, they can reply so stating they have read it, and confirm that in fact EVER post ever made in this forum has been read by an Evernote employee.

• Evernote Staff

While I appreciate the passion, let's please ratchet it down a bit. Thanks to everyone for the continued feedback!

We have another updated release here--I've also included a list of feature sets that are coming as well: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/74821-web-beta-release-notes-1112/

If you're actively using the beta and run into a particular bug we definitely want to hear about it.

Just found this thread. I have to join the large majority who dislike this web interface. I have to use it for work and I am finding it very unsatisfactory ( and I am talking from a "business" point of view). If change has a purpose - I am all for it. But often in the modern world I find the catch cry "Change is good - your just afraid of change !" as an catch cry of the mediocrity who don't know what they are doing or why they are doing it. 

We have done the "white album"  - the Beatles did it in 1968. Time to move on.

• Level 5*
... While ideally users would indefinitely have the choice between web clients, I don't know whether Evernote would ever do that. That means maintaining TWO web clients which requires considerably more resources...

I agree and doubt that EN will support both indefinitely either.  This circles back to my original point that when all said and done we will IMO likely end up with a web client with less function than we currently have.  It is this general trend that I find discouraging.  With each new release, instead of being excited about what new function may have been added I find myself instead checking to see what functions have been removed.  I no longer load betas when they first come out and instead wait for the dust to settle and see what others have reported first.

I prepare class notes for teaching on Evernote, which I then project on screen in the classroom.

Well, white space for Presentation mode is appropriate, just not for searching, browsing and editing notes. I need more out of that interface.

Yes. I understand. All of what you are missing has to arrive or this new version won't be of use to too many people.

the ugly *****?unwed coupling?*** of the unusable Windows metro version of evernote AND some android material aspirations = poison for anyone with more than a few notebooks, hopefully the powerusers can abort this *****!

I'm a sometimes freelance designer who uses white space a lot but when it is detrimental to efficient functionality, it is not the avenue to pursue. Multiple-click access to my notebooks could be a dealbreaker. The current sidebar allows me to access my notebooks in one click. As a quasi-GTD disciple, if this Beta's UI goes through as it is now makes EN Web highly inefficient to be moving from notebook to notebook.

• Level 5*

the ugly *****?unwed coupling?*** of the unusable Windows metro version of evernote AND some android material aspirations = poison for anyone with more than a few notebooks, hopefully the powerusers can abort this *****!

:lol:  :ph34r:   I enjoyed the uncensored version I got in my inbox.

• Level 5*

... Obviously they will add more and more functionality. ..

This isn't so obvious to me and lately has not been the case with EN.  They have a bad habit of introducing new versions with less function than prior versions. 

Can anyone , including someone from Evernote... simply tell me how to unlock a shared note? Since the recent big update... if you are sharing a note in near real-time with someone else, ( I am a voice teacher and I give skype lessons to students and we share student folders with notes in it... )... the new update locks you out of the note, rendering it impossible to make any changes in the note... they said they did this to prevent the synching conflicts, but.... that wasn't nearly as bad as the new problem this created... now I can't share a note with my student in real-time?!

Well, that would be digestible if they had provided a way to unlock or override that feature... but apparently they have not.  Is this true? Is it actually true that they created a "lockout" feature when two people are sharing a note, that renders the note disabled for one of the users... and didn't provide a means to unlock the note or an override or a disable check  box in the preferences?  You got to be kidding me?!

So far, the only way I can get access to my students note is for my student to completely close evernote and relaunch... Does anyone know how you unlock a note after you have been locked out? 

C'mon Evernote ... creating a "lock out a user" feature when sharing a note in real-time is one thing...  but then to not provide any way to override that feature is just a huge oversize and mistake. Lock your customers out of the ability to use your product, and don't provide any easy way to unlock the note... ?  Because.... you presumed that out of MILLIONS of users, nobody is going to share a note in real-time?... You have got to be kidding me?!  

And Ill add... I am a "Pro" customer too... Im paying for a monthly service here?! 

What really is the solution here, anyone know?

This isn't so obvious to me and lately has not been the case with EN.  They have a bad habit of introducing new versions with less function than prior versions. 

I think it is obvious that they will add more functionality since staff have stated that they will add more functionality. 

That being said, I don't think we'll see a return to the same level that the old interface had, but thats exactly the point. The web interface will NOT be a desktop clone, and will not do everything the desktop does, and may do things the desktop can't

But yes, obviously they will add more functionality because they have said they will. Whether that "more functionality" is satisfying to you and your needs doesn't detract from the validity of what Frank says.  

Maybe obviously is not the right word for some. I assume, since this is a beta version under discussion. Without a doubt, the next web release will not be identical to what we now see in our browsers. Evernote staff themselves opened up a dialogue on the forums. They're not simply reacting to outcries. 

I use the Windows, iPhone and iPad clients. I follow every tidbit of news related to updates in all clients. I know that with the clients I am using, as well as Android and Macbook (I have an android for testing... and had a Macbook until recently... but I still follow recent updates, such as being able to resize images inline), there is increasingly more functionality over previous versions. There are some very minor things that have been pulled... for example, being able to surf the net through an embedded browser (including "cutting" to EN) within the iOS apps and being able to create a new note under a tag context (including the tag automatically). Also, I rather enjoyed the percentage indicator when previously syncing. I've found a way to live without it. Public notebooks disappeared briefly. There's more, but almost negligible

I'm just not seeing a decreased functionality, apart from the new beta web client. 

I strongly dislike the new layout.

(1) I want to see all my notebooks at all times [unless the stack is collapsed] along with tags. Sure I have a lot of both but it's extremely easy to scroll to see things. Let people collapse if they want but give the choice.

(2) When I change the notebook at the top of a note, I want my notebooks to appear in the order they are in the nested list NOT alphabetic. The content of stacks are interspersed throughout the other notebooks and I can't find anything.

(3) There is way too much wasted space. Allow me the option to see all the columns I want to see and those who like the minimalistic approach to keep it.

I am one who hates to click and click and click for things. With this new layout I'm constantly clicking and it reduces my productivity. At least give the option of permanently keeping the old layout.

Evernote finally replied! Wooohooo!!

It bothers me that I don't see any of the things a lot of us have complained about re: ease of use and new layout vs. old on the list of changes or upcoming features. That said, I'll give it a shot again when I'm on my laptop to see if it's somehow more usable and report back with my opinion after doing so.

Agreed, the new web UI totally sucks... is confusing and pointless.. on top of that... every since their big update... 

1). You used to be able to have real-time collaboration... meaning two people could be on the note at the same time in conference and working inside the note.. but now.. they have this pain in the ass "Note Lock" feature that locks you out of the note!!  Thats right, in case you thought I was stuttering... if you are sharing a note at the same time with someone else... you automatically get locked out of the note... the makes it impossible to work inside the note... no cursor, nothing... just freezes on you. AND... there is no way to disable the "lock"... the only way you can regain editing control is to tell the other party to close the note and reopen it... lame.

2). There is no way to copy the notebook URL to simply paste it into a browser... if you right click on a notebook and choose "modify sharing"... and then copy the URL... it doesn't copy.. it fails to paste.

Watch this screen capture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11616972/No%20Way%20to%20copy%20a%20notebook%20URL.mp4

3). I have had other strange issues as well... like everything suddenly getting centered in the note... and when scrolling a large note, it lags... and drags... it used to be fast.

Its really infuriating that they had the best damn product in the world and then went out and let their engineers "tinker" with ideas they though there "cool".. .that nobody needed and killed the capabilities that their customers relied on.

A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT... 

It's obvious that the new Beta is lacking a lot of things.

But I think it's reasonable to assume that those things will come, and that we will be duly notified in this forum. 

In principle, I like this new Beta a lot.

Although, indeed, pretty, the new Evernote web UI, at this point in time, leaves me flat...literally there is no dimension.  I need dimension to organize my thoughts and in the beta version I can find no way to even stack my notebooks. Then there's the issue of scrolling...for some reason I can't get to notes at the bottom of my screen.  But, the biggest deal with the new UI is my HD wide screen television/monitor.  When I open a notebook all of my notes are displayed in a column down the center taking one third of my screen space.  There is a great expanse of nothing on either side.....in, pretty darn white, white.  It is painful to look at, induces a terrible headache and my eyes refuse to focus.  If there were some way to introduce a softer, less glaring background to at least part of the screen it would be a much more comfortable wasted space.  The disappearing columns are pretty nifty and would be ok if I am doing one thing at a time.....but that's pretty much never the case and so seem to slow things down a bit.  For now, I will stick to the regular interface and wait to see what improvements/features will be next.

• Evernote Staff

We've been listening and watching, yes. I have a team that crawls the space for feedback and aggregates it for the product managers.

I would say that last release was incremental. If you look at my follow up post in that thread, there's a good amount still on the way.

• Level 5*

I think it is obvious that they will add more functionality since staff have stated that they will add more functionality. 

That being said, I don't think we'll see a return to the same level that the old interface had, but thats exactly the point. The web interface will NOT be a desktop clone, and will not do everything the desktop does, and may do things the desktop can't

But yes, obviously they will add more functionality because they have said they will. Whether that "more functionality" is satisfying to you and your needs doesn't detract from the validity of what Frank says.  

Yes, they have said they are adding back some functions such as reminders, but when the web version is out of beta (I should have made that point clearer above) I'm speculating it will likely have less overall function than the current web client.  As long as the desktop clients don't follow suit then I'm personally unaffected.  I use the web client very little, but there are others out there that primarily use the web client and they will likely see a reduction in function. 

If EN wants to have a light weight web client, that's fine and I can see the need for something simple and straight forward but they should consider keeping their existing full function web client for those customers that have been relying on it.

After using Evernote almost exclusively for all my note-taking, reminders, to-do's, content curation, school assignment creation, presentation outlines... instead of a word processor, spreadsheet program, or any other "office" like program, AND PAYING MONTHLY on one account or more since the summer of 2008, I am about ready to switch to a membership with another program... or just stop paying services altogether and just use the services I get for free with MS Office.  Evernote's STATED determination to ignore customer feedback (read any of the few different interviews with the Evernote CEO if you doubt this) and unwillingness to design for anyone else but Evernote employees, I am SO close to calling it quits.  This beta is just another sign that Evernote is not worth what I am paying for it.  At least they did one thing right - they kept the features that make it easy to stop using Evernote and switch to some other product/service instead.  The decrease in functionality in ALL the interfaces on platforms I use (Android, Web, Chrome OS, and Windows) is making me more and more convinced that Evernote could not care less whether or not I have been a loyal paying member for the last SEVEN YEARS or not.

I think the current Evernote Web client is almost perfect in it's current state. This kind of layout is what attracted me to Evernote in the first place! Also, not sure if anyone noticed but there is a small gray arrow at the bottom in the second column (note snippet view) and clicking on this hides the the first column (notebooks and tags view) thus no more distracting notebooks/tags if anyone wishes to hide it. So how much more distraction free do you want to make it without sacrificing functionality?

I think all Evernote need to do is improve the appearance a bit and make it more smoother and iron out some issues (for example, tags not updating without refreshing). Maybe take a page out of Google's book on their online apps and how smooth it is to work on them. Evernote you already have a winner. If it is more users you trying to attract then I think a different approach is needed not a complete transformation!

Evernote if it ain't broke then don't fix it!

• Level 5*

We've been listening and watching, yes. I have a team that crawls the space for feedback and aggregates it for the product managers.

That's really good to hear, GBarry.  It means a lot coming from you.

Don't know if this will stay as part of this forum, but as of a few weeks ago, I made the move from Evernote to OneNote (after having paid for an EN subscription since 2008, though I haven't officially cancelled my subscription to EN just yet [better safe than sorry]).  So far all is going very well.  In particular, editing notes is much cleaner (formatting is far more reliable). The window is much less cluttered (and without excessive amounts of white space and giant fonts), outlining works much much better, note organization is better I think.  Capturing from the web isn't as good, but that's a very small part of what I do and so for what I amount I do capture OneNote works just fine.

The Android clients are on par -- mostly. Again, OneNote seems to be more reliable with formatting (which is essentially basic outlining, bold, and underscore, for me). I've had the EN Android client append taken photos -- to a note that already contained photos -- all over the place within the note. OneNote client doesn't seem to have this issue.

Evernote sure had a chance to own this market but it doesn't appear they listened, or cared, about what their longtime customers had to say.

I've also tried new Beta, so:

I don't like:

• forcing mobile UI on desktop (white space, etc)
  • missing features like reminders
  • tags structure gone

It's unusable to create/edit or manage notes on desktop.

I can see that this interface is usable for mobile viewing but for that I have an Android app!

For me it looks like someone spend tremoundous time for desing/programming that is really wasted since users don't like it.

The word is Beta, but it feels like pre-alpha (minimal set of features)

For now I've reverted to the old version since it is far more usable.

If new Evernote web will be this kind of 'simple' app I will not have any chance to manage my notes since I'm using Linux for work.

I am praying that this so-called 'Beta' interface remains forever a user option. It's seems more a website or blog than an application. Please don't throw out the rule-book on user interface design simply to satisfy some internet passing fashion for "simplicity". It's not simple, it's empty.

I'm hoping that Evernote does not feel the need to pander to the latest fashion, and that it puts the real user (to whom Evernote is a critical work tool) and real usability first.

It has a great look and simplicity for distraction-free editing.

However, I miss the ease of use of managing collections of notes, tags and folders in the classic interfact. Would be cool to have a button or key combination to quickly switch between the old and new modes.  

Also, inline viewing of pdfs is very useful, and hopefully will come to the new web client.

I love the look, it is quite elegant an minimalist, but in reality it is more difficult to use, there are many tools missing (alarms to name one very important), and there is a lot of unused space, I don't like that it starts with a new note instead of showing me my latest notes.

Although it is prettier, I think the old one is a real working tool.

Sort of similar design approach when they killed the efficiency of the Chrome clipper. More about marketing flash than productivity concerns and then some lip service (if any) until the complaints die away. My use of evernote has dropped off since then (I even undid my pro account renewal, but it was extended when I got my new android... lol) but that doesn't mean they aren't going out of their way to make me want to leave altogether. Too many clicks, too much hidden information, feels like they are trying to make everything mobile friendly just as mobile devices are getting larger cause mobile alone doesn't cut it. Seems like it is UI by trial and error again. All those millions to spend and not a proficient UI or HID designer to be found.

Don't know if this will stay as part of this forum, but as of a few weeks ago, I made the move from Evernote to OneNote (after having paid for an EN subscription since 2008, though I haven't officially cancelled my subscription to EN just yet [better safe than sorry]).  So far all is going very well.  In particular, editing notes is much cleaner (formatting is far more reliable). The window is much less cluttered (and without excessive amounts of white space and giant fonts), outlining works much much better, note organization is better I think.  Capturing from the web isn't as good, but that's a very small part of what I do and so for what I amount I do capture OneNote works just fine.

The Android clients are on par -- mostly. Again, OneNote seems to be more reliable with formatting (which is essentially basic outlining, bold, and underscore, for me). I've had the EN Android client append taken photos -- to a note that already contained photos -- all over the place within the note. OneNote client doesn't seem to have this issue.

Evernote sure had a chance to own this market but it doesn't appear they listened, or cared, about what their longtime customers had to say.

Yea. I think I'm in the process of making this move as well. OneNote does seem to lend itself to better organizational approaches and I'm more confident that it's going to remain a viable note app while EndNote execs seem to have no interest at all in reassuring its user base that it's going to maintain EndNote as a usable note management app. OneNote doesn't capture from the web as well, but it does let me copy and paste and its formatting is much more consistent and understandable than EN's. It also makes tagging more complicated, but its search engine is much more accurate than EN's. 

I don't want to decide too quickly, I'll give it some time, but I have to say I am floundering with the new UI. It just seems harder to find things.

I like when toolbars and buttons are visible so I know what my options are at a glance. I don't always remember that there is that buried formatting option that I have to go click on an icon to find and expose. Things are hidden in weird places, under icons where I might not look. I understand the idea of focusing on the content, but when everything else is hidden away, I can't always recall it or find it. Also, things are very spread out...too much, I think. Makes it harder to scroll through content. I'd like the list more compact.

Also, too much white space.

I have a wide screen monitor, and it looks ridiculous that there's this column of content down the middle, and an ocean of white on each side. I'd like to pin a column of notebooks or whatever to the left instead of wasting all that space. It's not friendly to people that navigate the way I do.

Just adding to the voices expressing dislike of the 'beta' UI.

I hate it. So much dead space. Navigation of notes is oodles easier with the 'old' version, and thankfully I managed to find the way to get back to it.

Why make something 'simpler' visually but harder to use?

Functionally, it'd be more valuable for me to be able to have multiple notes open simultaneously, if I needed... tiled, maybe, with a drag and drop option to view, amend, save, etc?

This sort of unhelpful design tweaking prevents me subscribing to EN.

I have to question some of the design choices with the new beta web client.

Improving focus over presenting information?

• What's the point of having all that screen real-estate if your not going to use it?
  • use of whitespace is too extreme, you still have space for more information without it getting confusing or distracting
  • I never found I was distracted by the list of other notes on screen while creating a note.
  • In fact I deliberately glance at the list of other notes in the notebook because they are often related to the note i'm entering so I can appropriately name the new note (deliberately simplistic example, Note 1, Note 2, Note 3, etc...)

Creating new notes over finding old ones? 

• With so many other ways to enter notes (web clipper, mobile apps etc..), do you really need to focus the web whole client around entering notes?
  • For me the web client is my main way to lookup previous notes, not to enter them
  • it now takes longer and is harder to find notes, multiple clicks, missing features like autocomplete search, notebook stacks etc..
  • the auto complete search box was key to finding my notes, being able to search for tags and notebooks at the same time as searching for keywords

Casual/new users over power users?

• My main gripe with this is that the lack of a linux client means i have no real choice but to use the web client as my main client. If there was a power user alternative on linux then I wouldn't mind the web client being simpler
  • The new interface seems to be tailored to the occasional or new user than power users
  • power users i would assume are the ones who actually pay for your services and so should be just as important, if not more important than acquiring lots of new casual users.
  • I speak for myself as a power user that I value a full featured experience than a simplified one
  • The web client was pretty much feature complete but I the beta version still has a ways to go.

I'm trying not to over react to the beta version, after all by definition it is not feature complete or ready for prime time, but I have gone back to the original for now.

I hope that some of the points I raised above help guide the rest of the beta clients development in a direction that will be convenient to me.

Or give me a linux desktop client and I wont care what you do with the web client :-)

Richard 

• Level 5*

I don't like the new web beta. I tried it for a week or so, finally felt so frustrated trying to get around that I switched back to the old version. I agree, the old version may seem a little cluttered, but the new is really hard to navigate efficiently.

I also wonder about the "distraction" issue.  The Evernote UI designers, and some users, state that they need a very clean, simple piece of electronic paper in order to not be distracted.  Sorry, but this does not hold water for me.

In any office there are many, many distractions always going on around you.  Few people have private offices any more, so if one is to get their work done, they must learn to FOCUS.  Even the objects on/around your desk/hutch/workstation offer far greater distractions than a few icons on your computer screen.  And how about all the people around you talking?

And let's look at the computer screen.  The trend is for computer monitors to get larger and larger, which getting cheaper.  The result, lots of users have monitors ≥ 21-in.  So not only do a lot of users have Evernote on their monitor, they have other apps, like email, chat windows, etc.  So there are LOTS of distractions right there on your computer screen.

If a few tools/icons around your writing space seriously distract you, then I suggest you are mostly distracted by all the other things.

Focus is a skill we all must learn to develop in order to get things done in a very, very busy world.

The new design for Evernote Web looks stunning. Beautiful typefaces, elegantly simple and extremely smooth. Seeing the screenshots of the 'redesigned' Mac app in the blog post 'Context' even makes me wish the Mac app would be a bit more like  it. While keeping all it's functions, though...

The new Evernote UI on web is simply amazing. Any word on if the desktop version will meet a similar redesign on Windows?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6893765/evernote-redesigned-its-note-taking-web-app-and-its-gorgeous

I totally agree. I love the UI. It is clean and easy to use. Please make the desktop version like this as well. Until then I'll use Fluid to make this my go to desktop alternative.

• Level 5*

Hmmm ... I see a lot of unused space.  It might be cleaner but it shows a lot less information than it did before.  I've switched back to "classic" view for now but will keep an eye on how this develops.  Thanks for posting the link.

I like the new web UI and it's a move in the right direction I think. Old UI was a bit clumsy for web, and the new one also looks much nicer.

Two Questions though?

1. Is there a way to get a complete list of all the features that have been changed or are missing in the new web version compared to the previous one? Thank you.
  2. I just tried sharing a note and when I check the shared link online it still features the old UI. Since mostly I share to others to view a note, having a cleaner UI would be the way to go, right? When can we except that change or if it's there how can we activate it? Thank you.

Oh, and the web UI. It seems it does not scale as well on some of the larger screens, I haven't tested this but it seems that the center column for example stays the same weight no matter what screen size. So for example on the 30'' large screen, that would mean a lot of empty unused white space, right? Will that be addressed? 

Not used it enough for a full review but mostly I like. When navigating the new interface I am struck by the amount of 'empty' space there seems to be, not sure if this is a 'helps you to focus' plan or not but not sure I'm a fan. Other than that I'm very pleased that Evernote is improving this as it certainly was the worst part of the Evernote experience.

• Level 5*

The new Evernote UI on web is simply amazing. Any word on if the desktop version will meet a similar redesign on Windows?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6893765/evernote-redesigned-its-note-taking-web-app-and-its-gorgeous

Lots of users really don't like the EN Web Beta.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/68875-beta-no-reminders-shown-multiple-clicks-required-to-get-to-a-note/

Yes, they have said they are adding back some functions such as reminders, but when the web version is out of beta (I should have made that point clearer above) I'm speculating it will likely have less overall function than the current web client.  As long as the desktop clients don't follow suit then I'm personally unaffected.  I use the web client very little, but there are others out there that primarily use the web client and they will likely see a reduction in function. 

If EN wants to have a light weight web client, that's fine and I can see the need for something simple and straight forward but they should consider keeping their existing full function web client for those customers that have been relying on it.

Yes I think it is a given that it will not have all the functionality of the old web client or any desktop client, Evernote has been explicit about that. That being said it might have some features that are exclusive to the web client, though those may not be useful to those who have traditionally relied on the old client as a desktop replacement. 

While ideally users would indefinitely have the choice between web clients, I don't know whether Evernote would ever do that. That means maintaining TWO web clients which requires considerably more resources. This will definitely annoy all those linux users!

But we can do a test right here, right now.  [ . . .]

mmm hmmm kind of what I thought too, JMichael. We are all just spitting into the wind.

When you're "Bending the Universe" -- deep into forum threads is not where you spend your time

What's Wrong with this Clean Writing Window?

Can some of you folks who really prefers a "clean" writing environment please explain to me what is wrong with the current (non-Beta) EN Web client, when you take advantage of the "Open Note in Window" option?

It looks very clean and uncluttered to me.  So, please, help me out.  What's wrong with this:

Screen Shot of Current EN Web app with Note in It's Own Window

EN-Web-Note-Window.gif

JMichael, really hit the nail on the head

WE NEED THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE OLD LOOK

Small Power user here, 6,000+ notes, on it every day iPhone, windows Desktop, iPad

90% of the time I need:

•     I need to see the left panel with shortcuts, notebooks and nested tags
  •     I need to see the left panel plus the snippets
  •     I need to see the left panel plus snippets AND full note all at once

do I like that these can sometimes go away? that the text of the functions and control buttons fade out 80-90% to give more focus to the note?  sure but I have to have a way of seeing all of this old functionality,. Adding more mouse clicks and mouse movements to get what I need IS not helping me work.

I've been following a GTD-style approach in Evernote and the new web UI is a disaster for me.  Here's a detailed critique why, in hopes that the UI designers pay attention.

I use the web UI at work on my Linux workstation, while at home I use the Mac OSX app.

What I need to do in Evernote is:

1. Whenever I finish a task, I want to see my whole list of "next action" items so I can very quickly choose the next most appropriate one.  This happens several times per day.

2. When I'm processing my inbox, I need to quickly and easily add new items to any of my dozen or so projects.  This requires being able to quickly switch between projects.  This happens about twice a day.

3. During weekly review, I want to see all the to-do items in a project at once, check priorities, adjust tags, set deadlines, etc.

All of that requires being able to navigate quickly and see a lot of information.

So.  I have a 30 inch monitor, and on the new UI, open FULL SCREEN on my huge 2560 x 1600 monitor I see ... SEVEN notes.  Seven, Bob.  

Four million pixels for Evernote, and I can see just seven notes, and nothing else.  

What. The. H. Are. You. Thinking.  How is 7 notes on a 30 inch monitor ever a good idea?

Instead of one-click access to everything, with the new UI, everything is hidden.  This "simplicity" is NOT A GOOD THING.   I have to click, wait for an animation, and then find the notebook or tag I want on the animated-out tray.  

This multi-step interaction with hidden controls is *far* less efficient.  This is simply a fact and has been proven repeatedly in user studies.

In the old web UI I can see all my tags, all my notebooks, 17 notes, PLUS reminders, and more than enough space for a huge note or clipped web page.  I can see all that at once and move around efficiently with single clicks to instantly get the information I need.  All that is gone in the new Web UI.

The one great thing about the new UI is I'm not forced to use it.  If I was, I would take the rest of the day off to switch to a new product.  

Even keeping everything in a single big Google Docs spreadsheet would be better than this.

Archived