Dark Theme/Dark Mode

Evernote Wizards. Please, give us a dark theme.

My eyes are bleeding with how bright your default theme is. (both web & desktop)

No suprise, it is mostly white. A great choice for clean design, but ultimately a fail for intensive use.

Please, give us a dark theme.

Best Regards,

Your Paying Customer

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

• Level 5*

Every day I see more white on web pages than i do on Evernote, so I guess my eyes have not been adversely affected. Perhaps a third party integration for the future might be some metal gray eyes of Tleilax design to counteract the stone-burner like effects of the app!

Just playing around. Seriously, though, high contrast versions of the app and choices for customization are always nice. I wonder what people with vision problems must think of the gray on gray text, lack of contrast, etc. I like the design well enough, but i am not a fan of the one size fits all approach, because inevitably users will be left at a disadvantage without customization options.

@TechBarber - Paper doesn't have a primary light source behind it like a screen does. Stare at the sun for an hour to understand why this would affect your eyes. Also I found your public Evernote notebook and can safely say I consume more text then you.

@GrumpyMonkey - I agree, contrast is important for readability. Grey on grey sounds terrible. Maybe we can recommend text no less than #DDD and color-background no greater than #222. Hues can vary, but lets keep values in range.

I agree.

Why has the app been de-colorized  :o and all white and very light greys.  I think it's UGLY, just like Office 2013 which perhaps their trying to imitate. Fortunately the Android App hasn't been messed up like this (yet).

Thank you for writing this! I was just googling the very same thing to see if there was some kind of add-on that I just don't know about. Evernote needs a dark theme ASAP. Especially on Windows, it bothers me slightly less on my Mac Book Retina and on mobile devices.....but on my office windows PC it is almost unbearable, to the point that I fear I might actually be using it less that I do at home (which is insane for an organizational app!).

@TechBarber a darker theme means less light hitting you in the eye. I find it useful for serious reading and writing. This is especially the case when reading or writing in a darker environment, which essentially turns your white screen into a huge flashlight.

• Level 5*

+1 - especially at night the white background is blinding. I set as many of my apps as I can to a dark background. It's one of the first customizations i set on a new app. Providing a light and dark background should be a given for every (text oriented) phone app.

On iOS you can set the home button to invert colors in Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut > Invert Colors. It's nice because you don't have to mess with the settings for every app and the screen is dark. Obviously, reducing the brightness never hurts.

Ideally, we'd have something like the PDF readers that allows for sepia, normal, black background (the dark mode), and an adjustment to the brightness. It's great to go from a bright screen in another app to the preset one in the reading app, because I generally like to read things at a lower brightness level.

Let's get a response from The Team.

I'll send snapshot of everyone's replies by email.

If anyone else knows how to get Evernote's attention; do it & point back here.

If you haven't yet, simply post a +1 to show your support.

• Level 5*

Let's get a response from The Team.

I'll send snapshot of everyone's replies by email.

If anyone else knows how to get Evernote's attention; do it & point back here.

If you haven't yet, simply post a +1 to show your support.

Please do not just post +1s. This is a discussion board and we much prefer to have discussions. If you want to contact Evernote directly and be sure that your opinion is recorded somewhere, then contact support (see the link in my signature). Developers read these forums, so I am sure that you have their attention, though it is company policy not to speak about work in progress or future plans, and I think you are unlikely to get a direct answer.

Personally, I think if you want to show your support you should explain why this is a feature that Evernote needs. To play Devil's Advocate here, web browsers don't typically have the feature and the whites on their screens are just as white as the ones on Evernote's, but people (in my experience, at least) don't complain about it.

Again, I would like to see the option as well (see my posts above http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-please-dark-theme/?p=240139), but I have to admit that if I was a developer, I don't think this would be the feature at the top of my list of things to do. If you want to move it up the list, I'd recommend persuasive arguments over +1s.

@GrumpyMonkey

Thank you. I hope you aren't too grumpy all the time; your advice is sound.

But perhaps an Evernote user goes is search for this feature to find this thread.

They may or may not have anything new to add, but still want to show support.

Maybe a poll would be more appropriate.

With 9K+ posts, I respect your protectiveness of this discussion board.

To add to the "why is this a necessity" list - While its true that people just have to deal with it on the web but the time spent on a single web page is minimal compared to the time people spend in applications.

While i understand Evernote might not want to compromise their design aesthetic - its a limiting belief that eventually takes away from its functionality. White on white just isn't practical for anyone planning to use it for extended periods of time. 

I know this all comes across as whiny, and by no means am i displeased with the rest of the functionality but i think the white on white is a consequence of trying to adapt to windows design philosophy rather than making a platform agnostic version of your own  

• Level 5*

But perhaps an Evernote user goes is search for this feature to find this thread.

They may or may not have anything new to add, but still want to show support.

That's what "Like" is for.

Maybe a poll would be more appropriate.

Maybe, but Evernote doesn't do polls for user features.
  • 2 weeks later...

Black text on a white background hurts my eyes.  I am not unique in having this problem.

I am in favor of Evernote enabling a way to provide users like me with a "Dark" theme,

just as many popular programs do - either explicitly, by offering it as one of several color 

Hue Saturation/Luminance and pattern choices, or by optional plugin capability, 

using Evernote-developed or user provided "Skins."

Since we are all not the same, I stress this should be presented as an option,

allowing the user to pick and choose what theme/skin they prefer, or default

to the standard black on white scheme.

For those unsure what "Themes" and "Skins" are, try these searches on Google:

wiki theme (computing)    and

wiki skin (computing)

@TechBarber - Paper doesn't have a primary light source behind it like a screen does. Stare at the sun for an hour to understand why this would affect your eyes. Also I found your public Evernote notebook and can safely say I consume more text then you.

@GrumpyMonkey - I agree, contrast is important for readability. Grey on grey sounds terrible. Maybe we can recommend text no less than #DDD and color-background no greater than #222. Hues can vary, but lets keep values in range.

You actually can't safely say that. The public notebook is something I put together to show new users how notes work so I didn't add anything that was particularly text-heavy. 

In my personal notebook I have journal articles for school, books (epub/pdf) and typed notes consisting of several pages. 

I get that white screens are backlit, but I still prefer them. When I read text on a black background and then look away my eyes go berzerk.  :wacko:

I think people on both sides of this issue are very passionate about their stance. I spend about 12 hours a day working in xcode and android studio. I use the dark theme in both, I find that its more relaxing on my eyes. I also find being outdoors in the bright sunlight uncomfortable without sunglasses.

Having to switch between xcode (dark) and browser (light) can be a very jarring experience. Give people the choice to use a dark theme, that is all we ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't like dark themes, never use them when there are options, and at times stop using websites altogether when everything is dark, dark, dark (am speaking to you, Flickr).

HOWEVER, it would be fine with me if Evernote would provide a dark theme for those who prefer it, as long as they also keep the current theme, which I like.

• 4 weeks later...
Please do not just post +1s. . If you want to move it up the list, I'd recommend persuasive arguments over +1s.

I'm giving your post a -1 and this thread a +1.  Suggesting that people need to make "persuasive arguments" for why they want a dark theme when the first post explains it, the reasons many users want it is well known, and many users have complained about the newest theme, is "not persuasive".

• Level 5*

Please do not just post +1s. . If you want to move it up the list, I'd recommend persuasive arguments over +1s.

I'm giving your post a -1 and this thread a +1.  Suggesting that people need to make "persuasive arguments" for why they want a dark theme when the first post explains it, the reasons many users want it is well known, and many users have complained about the newest theme, is "not persuasive".

I'll take that -1 and post again to see if I can't earn myself another -1 from you. Im not against the feature suggestion, by the way.

If the reasons that many (how much is many?) users want it are well known (the developers read these forums), and many users have complained about the newest theme (which one?), then the developers have already considered them and decided not to do it, so what is the point of a few +1s? Out of 80 million users, a handful of +1s isn't likely to sway the minds of developers. In my opinion, logic, reasoning, and persuasion is more powerful than the two characters "+1". It's your choice to post reasons or not. I won't stop anyone from posting +1s. I'm simply saying reasons carry more weight.

In the meantime, here are a couple of workarounds. On the Mac, go to the Apple logo  -> System Preferences  -> Accessibility  -> "invert colors." Check the box to show the icon in your menu, if you want, but I'm afraid Apple doesn't make the icon very functional. Still, it is an option that is available.

On the iPad, Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut -> Invert Colors (a triple click of the home button will invert the colors). This is quite handy.

• Level 5*

ANd bare '+1's just don't add anything to the conversation. GM is pretty much right on. Adding constructive commentary is best (with or without a '+'). A simple "like" fine, and can at least be tabulated by computer. A bare "+1" adds little to the conversation, and not practicably counted by automated means, plus it gives the impression that there's new content to the topic when there's really not (so folks who read new content don't get much out of it).

@GrumpyMonkey

Why say something like this? I'm sure many people are aware of the point your making, but you don't need to rub it in - we're vocalising something because we feel this is important and we DO know that dev's look at these forums. You making the assumption that our +1's don't carry any weight yet this thread could be the evidence that dev's need to even consider this a possibility. They could run a poll asking users if they want more customisation in Evernote. The reasons are self evident, we don't need more of them, we need more support of those reasons to be implemented, not someone who is criticising the community for a seamlessly pointless +1

+1 to a dark theme

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey

Why say something like this? I'm sure many people are aware of the point your making, but you don't need to rub it in - we're vocalising something because we feel this is important and we DO know that dev's look at these forums. You making the assumption that our +1's don't carry any weight yet this thread could be the evidence that dev's need to even consider this a possibility. They could run a poll asking users if they want more customisation in Evernote. The reasons are self evident, we don't need more of them, we need more support of those reasons to be implemented, not someone who is criticising the community for a seamlessly pointless +1

+1 to a dark theme

I'm not trying to rub anything in here (I am unclear of what I am rubbing in). I am simply suggesting that there are more effective ways of making your point. It is true that I am not a developer, I have no idea what factors lead to their decisions to add or remove features, and I cannot know the impact your +1s have. I am just a user like you. I am guessing based on comments I have seen on the forums from developers who ask for use cases, workflows, etc. in order to better understand their users. My intent was to generate discussion in the discussion forums, not to discourage participation. Carry on.

Interesting topic.

I'm personally not fond of over dark colours but I think there should be a choice as long as it's not a compulsory theme that convers automatically at night for EN users.

I would love to be able to personalize my own theme.

I think the premium subscription should provide this.

I know about the iOS invert theme but that's also too harsh for me.

@GrumpyMonkey

+1 to a dark theme

I'm not trying to rub anything in here (I am unclear of what I am rubbing in). I am simply suggesting that there are more effective ways of making your point. It is true that I am not a developer, I have no idea what factors lead to their decisions to add or remove features, and I cannot know the impact your +1s have. I am just a user like you. I am guessing based on comments I have seen on the forums from developers who ask for use cases, workflows, etc. in order to better understand their users. My intent was to generate discussion in the discussion forums, not to discourage participation. Carry on.

Hi GrumpyMonkey. Your regular regulatory 'check-ins' are not likely to sway the minds of dark theme advocates voicing their opinions here. Lets not sidestep your personal motivations for whining here. What you and Jefito are complaining about include an inconvenience to your schedule, which includes dutifully tending to every thread on this forum; as seen by both of yours' 9 thousand plus posts. Yup, sounds like a really unfortunate case where you have no way to affect change and have to see us users grieving about in the aether.

Let me tell you that adding a simple +1 to a forum on a thread that resonates your own thoughts is cathartic. Without much effort you feel like your opinion was heard.

Hey let's see some developers present some 'swaying' arguments as to why not to have a dark theme. I suspect a discussion would soon arise that'd keep you at bay.

ANd bare '+1's just don't add anything to the conversation.

Of course they add something, they indicate other users also desire the feature, and on any other forum on the Internet they are encouraged, only on EN forums would we see "evangelists" arguing against them.  In GrumpyMonkey's case I think he was at least genuinely trying to help.

• Level 5*

Hi GrumpyMonkey. Your regular regulatory 'check-ins' are not likely to sway the minds of dark theme advocates voicing their opinions here. Lets not sidestep your personal motivations for whining here. What you and Jefito are complaining about include an inconvenience to your schedule, which includes dutifully tending to every thread on this forum; as seen by both of yours' 9 thousand plus posts. Yup, sounds like a really unfortunate case where you have no way to affect change and have to see us users grieving about in the aether.... Hey let's see some developers present some 'swaying' arguments as to why not to have a dark theme. I suspect a discussion would soon arise that'd keep you at bay.

Hi. I volunteer my time to moderate the forums here. I have no schedule to keep. No duties to perform. As I said, I am not against the feature suggestion. In fact, I tried to provide my own rationale in support of the suggestion (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-please-dark-theme/?p=238191). I'm trying to help other users out, and that is why I have so many posts. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found them useful.

You asked how to get Evernote's attention (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-please-dark-theme/?p=240343). I answered you. In my experience on this forum (and others), I have found that providing reasoned arguments helps to change minds. That's all. If a user wants to post +1s, I certainly won't stop them, though I will suggest (as I often do), that they take some time to add a comment about themselves and their use case.

I'm always happy to see developers post here, but this is a user forum, and they have work to do, so we may not have an opportunity to hear their thoughts on it.

I found this thread when searching for a Dark Theme  (preferably, white font on a black background) for a newly installed Windows 7 desktop Evernote app. Evernote kept prompting me to install the desktop client, everytime I visited Evernote.com in a browser. I stopped using the desktop client over a year ago, because it did not have this ability. I use Evernote from my android and ios phones which havs Inverse Color Toggle's, and from any of my desktop's browser's, which easily can invert colors. 

I prefer a  white on black theme because I do not see well, and it helps tremendously when reading on the web and smartphone. 

Well, we know that Evernote Clearly is 'clearly' able to change the appearance of web pages.  So the capability to create a dark theme for easy reading/viewing is feasible.

That same functionality should be transferable to other program's in Evernote's line.

This would not only provide an ability to change Evernote's base apperance for easier viewing, but also to do a mass format/change to a note.

However, something can easily go wrong doing this.  So it'll likely need to be done carefully.  Especially considering the bug fixing likely needed.  ;)

I wear my sunglasses at night - literally. 
It's one of the joys of having light sensitive eyes. 

I have work arounds on Windows 7 and my Android.  Most apps allow me to apply my slightly less bright view settings.  Is there a way to do this on either the Evernote windows app or web app?  I can't find the "use default Windows color and brightness scheme" checkbox. 

Many thanks :) 

I totally agree with any single sentence pointing out the current necessity of simple dark themes for ANY of the apps we have available. It does not even need to bring any motivation. Furhermore, mmm..., what more could I tell in terms of an app for >reading< ?!

I'm currently using the add-on "Clearly" for articles reading in the Firefox browser, and when I don't have time to finish reading some particular article or when I want to save some text for future reference, I just clip it to Evernote using the clipping tool from Clearly.

But what brought my attention to this great add-on was the beautiful, smooth shade of dark-grey in the background. Since we see the letters' boundaries through their contrast, there is not reason for iluminating all the screen in white.

Please provide at least some dark background to our notes!

• 3 weeks later...

To compare Websites to an application is to compare Apples to Oranges.  A website represents the Art of an individual, or company.  It is presented in a format that they believe is best.  An application has the ability to be designed in a format that the end-user likes.  You can't change a menu style in a web site, but you can in an app, etc.  With that said, yes you can change the display format in browsers, this feature has been around for years and has been in place to help those with vision impairments.

To tell customers how they should, or should not, post their views on a topic is wrong.  If I believe that a topic has value, but I do not feel the need to type up a wordy reply then as a customer I should be able to do so.  No one, especially someone who is not an employee of Evernote, should suggest to customers how they should reply to support a topic.  If the developers do view this forum, I highly doubt they read every single post.  If it were me, I'd look at the "+1's" and if there were a lot then I'd consider it a feature that may need to be added.  Also, general rule in customer service, for every 1 complaint, or compliment, it is generally believed there are 30 other people that feel the same way but don't want to put the time in to add their opinion.

I came to this forum to find out if there was a way to change the theme.  I give this posting a +1.

• Level 5*

To compare Websites to an application is to compare Apples to Oranges. A website represents the Art of an individual, or company. It is presented in a format that they believe is best. An application has the ability to be designed in a format that the end-user likes. You can't change a menu style in a web site, but you can in an app, etc. With that said, yes you can change the display format in browsers, this feature has been around for years and has been in place to help those with vision impairments.

To tell customers how they should, or should not, post their views on a topic is wrong. If I believe that a topic has value, but I do not feel the need to type up a wordy reply then as a customer I should be able to do so. No one, especially someone who is not an employee of Evernote, should suggest to customers how they should reply to support a topic. If the developers do view this forum, I highly doubt they read every single post. If it were me, I'd look at the "+1's" and if there were a lot then I'd consider it a feature that may need to be added. Also, general rule in customer service, for every 1 complaint, or compliment, it is generally believed there are 30 other people that feel the same way but don't want to put the time in to add their opinion.

I came to this forum to find out if there was a way to change the theme. I give this posting a +1.

I don't believe it is "wrong" or "right" to request that users post substantive comments. However, I do think it is more effective and better for our community. I am not an employee, but I am a moderator, and I do my best to make this a welcoming and useful place for users. Personally, I don't find +1 to be especially useful in a user discussion board. A "wordy" post is unnecessary, but if you can manage the equivalent of a tweet, that might at least give the developers and other users a better idea of your use case / situation / perspective. I think your post was a great contribution. Thanks!

Evernote employees read every post and have for years now.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/10644-suggestion-reduced-noise-user-feedbacksuggestion-system/?p=55644

Evernote employees also recommend you post more than just "+1."

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/10644-suggestion-reduced-noise-user-feedbacksuggestion-system/?p=64722

Hello everyone.

I'm quite sensible to light and Evernote is the only application I use that is so bright white. I find it hardly manageable, especially in the later hours.

I'm on Windows and I found a temporary workaround while the devs decide that this is an important task: enter Negative screen, http://arcanesanctum.net/negativescreen/.

It's freeware, small and fast (the default shortcut is Alt+Win+N but you can define your own).

For those of us who suffer from photophobia, the current stark white of Evernote makes it very painful on the eyes. At night, it can be like driving and having someone's brights hit you right in the eyes = instant headache (I have to drive with sunglasses at night, to give you an idea). This makes Evernote potentionally unusable for millions who suffer from various levels of light sensitivity and other eye coditions. I, personally, am constantly squinting my eyes when I use Evernote because it's just too bright. Yet, I still try and use it because it's a great program. It's very frustrating.

On my home computer, I have done everything I can to reduce stark whites and other similar colors/color combos that are way too bright or hurt my eyes. My windows theme is custom to a dark gray, my Word default template is set to automatically color the page a dark gray with light gray text, firefox has a dark theme applied, and I have several addons that allow me to customize the look of webpages - No color, Stylish, Greasmonkey, and Turn off the lights. Any thing I can modify, I have because I - like everyone else - don't want to suffer from eye pain and headaches if I can avoid it (plus, I just like customized things :P). Evernote, unfortunately, cannot currently be changed. I sincerely hope that this changes in the future because I do love the program and find it very useful - I just can't get much use out of it currently.

Edit: I am always willing to help anyone with customizing if I can, so send me a message with any questions :)

I'm trying to set up Evernote for two low vision users. One has their monitor set to white text on a black background. Windows and Apple and Gmail have settings which enable/support low vision users. In Gmail, fer instance, the icons are not visible, but the area where the icon displays is surrounded by a white box. Putting the cursor in the area of the white box pops up a text display of what the button says.

Evernote looked (past tense) like it would be a great fit. Guess not. :(

Evernote needs configurable tools for each device. This includes being able to set the background screen to black and text to white.

In the shower this morning, I was wondering what the ADA will do about these kind of software practises that take no account of differently-abled individuals. In America, the Americans with Disabilities Act is what is responsible for having curb cuts on all the sidewalk corners so that the sidewalks are accessible to people in wheelchairs, the Braille printed floor numbers on elevator buttons, handrails on stairs, etc. I can just see that some lawyer somewhere is going to start a class action suit about how software designers look-to-be willfully discounting disabled people (notice I said "look to be"). The lawyers are going to make a ton of money and then the software companies are going to rush to comply...why does it take such an action to make people do what they ought?

It can't be all that difficult to hire a low vision Testing Engineer. Gracious, consider all those baby boomers—there must be a "disabled" person in one of every ten or hundred users.

• Level 5*

In the shower this morning, I was wondering what the ADA will do about these kind of software practises that take no account of differently-abled individuals. In America, the Americans with Disabilities Act is what is responsible for having curb cuts on all the sidewalk corners so that the sidewalks are accessible to people in wheelchairs, the Braille printed floor numbers on elevator buttons, handrails on stairs, etc. I can just see that some lawyer somewhere is going to start a class action suit about how software designers look-to-be willfully discounting disabled people (notice I said "look to be"). The lawyers are going to make a ton of money and then the software companies are going to rush to comply...why does it take such an action to make people do what they ought?

It can't be all that difficult to hire a low vision Testing Engineer. Gracious, consider all those baby boomers—there must be a "disabled" person in one of every ten or hundred users.

ADA does not apply to everyone and everything. As I understand it, the act primarily focuses on employers in companies of a certain size and public services (transportation, sidewalks, etc.), and even then it can get quite complicated. I don't see it being particularly relevant to the Evernote service (perhaps if an employer of a certain size mandated that employees use it and did not make accommodations for employees with disabilities, but that would be on the employer, not Evernote). We probably won't get very far in the discussion focusing on the ins and outs of American legal codes, because I doubt many of us are legal experts with knowledge of this law.

However, I think the spirit of the law is certainly worth thinking about when designing software. Personally, I think Evernote could benefit from more customizability in color / fonts. I think they ought to choose whatever default settings they like, but give users the option to adjust the UI to their preference / needs. This way, we aren't singling out people with disabilities, but saying that everyone (by choice or need) can modify the interface.

I'd say we all win this way.

This is a month late, but Evernote now includes themes on their iPhone application.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/30/new-iphone-ipad-customizable-home-screen/

Cheers!

Unfortunately, the "Dark Theme" for mobile devices ONLY works on the main page and DOES NOT change anything anywhere else, which basically makes it useless and only gives the illusion of progress on this issue.

This is a month late, but Evernote now includes themes on their iPhone application.

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/01/30/new-iphone-ipad-customizable-home-screen/

Can you tell me what would happen to a user who selected the Dark Theme for the iPad but who had a windows pc when not travelling? Is this even possible?

Nothing would happen, these kinds of settings don't work that way.

I was on Skype yesterday (video call) with one of my clients and I told her that the information she wanted was in Evernote. She loaded Evernote and, wow!, did she brighten up. It was quite startling how much light was reflected from the white screen. Perhaps it's not so bad from a cell phone, but pretty awful for a 24" monitor.

Now that you mention it, I never load Evernote at night. Maybe there's a reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Theme please, grey white and green are great for casual use, or in bright light, but the option for a dark background and light text would be best for eyestrain when working for long periods of time.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish the win version of EN had a dark theme.  I use both the Win & Mac version of EN and the Mac version is so much better.  It is simply much easier to read and view.  If the Mac color scheme were simply transferred to the Win version I would be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be much debate over why or why not to a dark theme is preferable over the existing bright white theme...

The "why" doesn't matter insomuch as the fact that there is a want for this functionality from the user base.  The mobile apps offer multiple themes, including a dark theme that would be very nice to have in the desktop application.

That's my 2 cents...

Thanks for all the hard work that has clearly been put into Evernote.

{cardboard_box}

If someone has a feature request or enhancement, that's their business.

If they want this implemented, they should let the developer know.

Evernote says, often, please let us know.

If a developer decides to implement a feature or enhancement, that's it's business.

There is no proper negative response to someone asking for a feature or enhancement.  If you don't need what someone else asks for, don't reply.

The proper positive response to someone enquiring about something you don't see any value in, is "That's interesting — what would you use it for?" or "That's interesting, how would that enhance your use or experience with the product?"

We are all self-limited.  As a goal, we should (imho) strive to understand other people, and consciously avoid assuming that since our world fits us, it applies to others.

OK … getting off cardboard box now.

{/cardboard_box}

One suggestion for those who find Evernote overly bright:  keep your monitors below 120 cd/sq.m.  (I work editing photos on computers.  I keep my monitors at c. 85 cd/sq.m. _so that I can see as much as possible_.)  

• 2 weeks later...

I have poor eyesight and cannot use the new Evernote because I can't distinguish between the panes, or find the scrollbar. I have to stick with 4.6.7.

This website uses nice contrasting colours. Why can't the software?

On OS X you can enhance contrast via the slider at " ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Display ▹ Enhance Contrast".  There may be similar settings on Windows.  (I have not read the complete thread — please ignore if this has been discussed already.)

In general, most users have their display brightness too high, which lowers the perceived contrast.  You might try lowering your display brightness as well.

I have poor eyesight and cannot use the new Evernote because I can't distinguish between the panes, or find the scrollbar. <snip>

On OS X you can enhance contrast <snip>. There may be similar settings on Windows.  (I have not read the complete thread — please ignore if this has been discussed already.) <snip>

As discussed previously, the Windows version of Evernote cannot be used by a poorly sighted person. Period. I have been informed by EN tech support that it might be an issued which is addressed in future. In other words, S. O. L.

I don't feel the need for a dark theme, but I am painfully aware of the glaring, brilliant white background of notes in Evernote. My solution has been to create a template note with a pale yellow background. (I've also played around with pale cream and light gray.) That more or less solves the problem for me, but unfortunately if I modify the text of any of those notes on my iPad or iPhone, the background color immediately disappears. Very frustrating.

• Level 5*

I don't feel the need for a dark theme, but I am painfully aware of the glaring, brilliant white background of notes in Evernote. My solution has been to create a template note with a pale yellow background. (I've also played around with pale cream and light gray.) That more or less solves the problem for me, but unfortunately if I modify the text of any of those notes on my iPad or iPhone, the background color immediately disappears. Very frustrating.

Here are some templates. The background color should remain no matter what you do with the text. 

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=459

Hey all! I also really want a Dark Theme for the Windows desktop app. The black light of my monitor is a big problem when I'm up late and it will keep me awake unless I use a dark theme. Please extend themes to the Windows app!

However, I've found a good workaround through the Chrome browser (can't use Evernote desktop app shortcuts :C):

[post=https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/high-contrast/djcfdncoelnlbldjfhinnjlhdjlikmph]High Contrast Chrome extension - and - 

A dark theme.

(F.lux and PangoBright do the rest of the work!)

Hope this helps!

GrumpyMonkey, thanks for the suggestion. I have two questions for you:

Could you please give me more detailed instructions on how to import one of your templates into one of my notebooks? Do I do that by "joining" your public notebook and then copying the appropriate note to one of my own notebooks?

And would you be willing to modify your pale yellow template? It's not quite pale enough for my tastes. You can see a sample of the color I have been using here.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/wsp/astreet

• 3 weeks later...

When I switched from workflowy to evernote, I never thought changing themes would be an issue.  It wasn't until I started using EN that I realized how much I love the dark theme in workflowy.

Specifically, when you wake up in the middle of the night or early morning to write something it takes me about 10 minutes of squinting before I feel comfortable.

Another point, on desktop monitors these days the brightness is just too damn high, even on its lowest setting. 

Evernote shouldn't need to be told that realize writers and researchers spend countless hours staring at a white screen that is wearing on their eyes.

The competition is up to speed on this, what gives Evernote?

• 4 weeks later...

My personal preference is also to use dark themes. Having a dark theme option for Evernote would be a great enhancement - better yet, customizable themes with import / export options would be perfect!

I would really like to have a Dark theme for evernote. I use a number if IDE's where I can change the theme to dark, but when I flick back to evernote and it's bright white, is very hard on the eyes.

Evernote is a great product.

• 2 months later...

I've finally found a solution to the problem I mentioned earlier -- that the color backgrounds of my notes turn back to white when I edit the notes on my iPhone or iPad.

Here's a very clear explanation of how to introduce a stable color background by using an online editor:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-change-evernote-background-color-or-image/

I've been experimenting with it, and as far as I can see so far, the background is completely stable -- i.e. it doesn't evaporate when you modify the note on an iOS device.

+1, I do a lot of typing on my android often right before bed to get the last of the day's thoughts out of my head to reduce anxiety and help me sleep. I would like to use Evernote for this, however it's glaring black text on white background is too bright, even at minimum brightness. My current solution is to use the Screen Filter app at 25% plus the minimum brightness setting to make evernote not painful to use.

I would very much support a white text on black background theme for the app. A themeable app would be enought of a draw for me to go premium.

I think 2-3 extra themes would definitely not harm an app that deals with high amounts of various content. It's not just our sight conditions that vary, but the ways we use the app as well. For example I don't see much use for the light on dark mode for the notes themselves – for me light sepia scheme would make a much better reading, while dark on white is just fine. But was I using Evernote for code snippets and switching between EN and my code editor, I'd definitely prefer the dark mode to avoid contrast between environments.

Since I'm in a visual profession and use EN for collecting a lot of imagery, for me it's the light background of the Card View that kills my eyes. I scroll though images a lot and the content just does not stand out enough. The process makes me sick and strains my eyes a lot. I don't even need a new theme. I'd kill to have the old one back. The one where full-screen Card View had a dark grey background and there was generally a much healthier contrast between the elements of the application.

I design myself and I really appreciate the aesthetical aspect of things, but to be honest, I can't wait for this flatness-lowcontrast-lackofcolor fad to go away already. It may be beautiful when done right and appropriate, but it's not meant to be applied to everything. Some things are supposed to be functional first.

Wait what??

First

+1 means yes exactly what he said. One has to retype the exact same thing to get a point across? 

Second

I like chocolate ice cream because....and you should too.

Thats the rationale in discussing whether light or dark theme is preferable. Its a waste of discussion space to lay out why you like chocolate or vanilla.

Having said that yes I absolutely need and want a dark theme. 

Why is irrelevant. Sure I could explain but it doesnt matter. 

Its like telling a restaurant you should carry Coke, or chocolate ice cream. Why anyone likes Coke is 100% irrelevant.

The primary question is how much demand is there and how difficult is it to implement. 

So please add me to the voices requesting a dark theme.

Edit:

Blows my mind. 

What should be in this thread : 

It is /is not possible.

If so - this is how you do it.

I love people but all the chatter going on and having to spend time wading through mass bickering about why dark is better or not better. Im not going to be persuaded nor is anyone else. We like what we like. 

Can Evernote do it? That is all.

• 1 month later...

This article pretty much sums up why I would love a dark mode. http://www.cgpgrey.com/blog/dark-mode-as-accessibility-feature

I use the ios apps on the iphone and ipad, but I also use the Windows app at work where I can turn pretty much every other app (especially relating to text editing e.g. NPP, SQLDeveloper) into some sort of dark mode either with a pre-built theme or some level of custom tweaking.

Can Evernote do it? That is all.

I do a lot of reading in Evernote: I use the Skitch-like annotation feature to annotate PDFs on my iPad as I go. A Sepia or Khaki feature (Like in Pocket) would be awesome. Make it a Premium feature, giving people one more reason to fork out. 

I've been using the 3rd Party iOS Evernote app "SnapEntry" for some time. It's awesome for getting stuff out of your head... including writing. It has a ton of themes, including Khaki, Burgundy, Sepia and Black. Although it just covers a small part of what one might write up... not reading. I find myself turning to the app a lot at night to get ideas out of my head (then to Evernote), especially in the dark, haha!

Sepia.png?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

+1

The reason I prefer to subdue the brightness is my visual sensitivity and migraines.  I don't think anyone is wanting a change that will affect everyone, just some personal choice in the matter of what types of coloring & backgrounds are easier on some of our eyes (and heads, in my case).

When I can go with a more parchment background or something that's not so intense, due to the light source shining out at me from behind the LCDs .. I tone that sucker down quick.  When I can, it makes it a lot easier to work at the computer for longer periods of time without having to get away from the light being so bright.

And, think about it, the white you see on-screen is actual light shining at you.  Its not a reflected light off a colored surface but, take a white piece of paper out and look at that even in sunlight .. you'll see what we're talking about pretty easily.  It is why people wear sunglasses outside.

Plenty of us have to work in front of these screens for longer than whatever a normal amount would be because we operate in a basically paperless world where almost literally all our work is on the screen.

Just like Stardock makes themes for windows, there are well-established methods of allowing users to have what they like best.  Maybe you'd want even more contrast but, those of us here in this thread on the other side would rather something a little less stressful to deal with for long periods of time.

ok, I know I haven't read more than some of the first page of comments here but, being a rambler, put mine in just the same. :)

Here's to each of us being able to get Evernote in an interface that is suited to us personally.!

sidenote :: you can see examples of me making web, searching etc easier to view on my site;  http://mehrlin.com   and my custom google search, esp the Classic vers. located in the lower right corner of the WebTop (the cell with the gold background).

It may help some of you with things outside of Evernote too aside from being an example for others.

~Myr

.end.trans.

I've had a serious eye disease for the last 20 years called uveitis. It's quite common. One of the symptoms is light sensitivity. So yes, I would love a dark theme. You need to get the contrast right though, white text on black like in some reading apps is not much cop. You need it toned down slightly, ie off white on a dark grey background. Only slightly, not too much, maybe like on this website I made but no longer update: http://bitwigtutorials.net/. White text on a black background is horrible, but toned down a bit it's the biz!

PS, I've not tested my site on a tablet of phone at night as I didn't have them at the time, so it may not be perfect. 

Also, we need an off white for daytime use. However I would keep the text dark, some of the e-book and pdf apps with a 'sepia' option are a bit washed out as the tone the text too much. Why they can't do it right is beyond me. 

I've been using the 3rd Party iOS Evernote app "SnapEntry" for some time. It's awesome for getting stuff out of your head... including writing. It has a ton of themes, including Khaki, Burgundy, Sepia and Black. Although it just covers a small part of what one might write up... not reading. I find myself turning to the app a lot at night to get ideas out of my head (then to Evernote), especially in the dark, haha!

Sepia.png?dl=0

That's not what I call a dark theme. To me that's an off-white daytime theme. I want to see one like that, and one for night with a very dark background and off-white text, as I mentioned before, which I would call a 'dark theme'.

• Level 5*

That's not what I call a dark theme. To me that's an off-white daytime theme. I want to see one like that, and one for night with a very dark background and off-white text, as I mentioned before, which I would call a 'dark theme'.

Did you actually try the referenced 3rd-party "SnapEntry" app? It has other themes, evidently; maybe one is a true "dark theme".

Did you actually try the referenced 3rd-party "SnapEntry" app? It has other themes, evidently; maybe one is a true "dark theme".

No, I don't have iOS, just a Mac and Android devices. Sounds like it definitely has dark themes with very dark backgrounds. I've experimented with my apps such as Moon Reader where you can do 100% customization of both background and text colours. A great one for night is dark blue-green with very pale green writing.  However I use Play Books which is white on black, and is not very nice to look at. If you tone the brightness down the writing is a pale grey so it's not so bad, but I just let it read to me!

I have tried the ENML hack for Evernote but it's a bit of a hassle. I suppose I keep a template and copy it for new notes but I couldn't be bothered editing existing ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Suffer from migraines. LCD/LED really makes it worse.

For Kindle app, I read with a black screen and dimmed brightness most of the time.

On my windows laptop, I invert colors through the magnifyer tool under access ability.

As an author, I must use an electronic device to work. I rely on ever note for outlines and chapter first drafts.

I use my android during the first draft stage. White on black in ever note would tasks my disability into account, since my migraines are that bad. I'm llucky to get 2-3 hours work done per day in ever note because of the brightness. If I could get a dark screen, ever note would probable make money off me.

I will add my voice to the (long standing!) call for a Dark Theme for Evernote, particularly the new Evernote Web theme. I suffer from photophobia and, like many others have expressed in this Topic, have various workarounds but would greatly benefit from an easily accessible solution.

I greatly appreciate the Clearly Extension, and hope that something similar can be implemented for Evernote.

why evernote client for windows don't have dark theme for users , one year isn't enough for reply request ?

this theme soo ugly and not suitable for reading.

1- all of text is create from grey color and this is ... color

2-  in the light theme we can't using colorful text because in the white background isn't readables

3- we want find a note in many note just with little glimpse , but we can't because title and body is grey and UI is grey and background is white and font size of title and body is close.

4- you can't with compounds  of grey color in all of element in app , make this simple and nice.  this is so bad practic for usability

5- note manager must be usable and readable, and! customizable for reading is neccessery option but your team forget this piece

+1 for dark/modifiable theme

white and light themes in general are pretty and fine to work with for short spans of time at daylight, but if you work at darkened environment or for prolonged time it's best to work with dark themes because eyes get tired a lot less. So there is no downsides to provide long time users with a way to make their work less damaging to their eyes. It's not like anybody is suggesting make everyone use dark theme, just give a choice. 

+++++++++++++! For a dark option.

I too, have vision issues and dark is best for me. Everything I can possible change to a "dark" theme is dark.

And please, do this for ALL apps - not just iphone - and ALL parts of the app.

I'd also like the option to choose the theme, or at the very least a dark theme. I just found this thread browsing the forums and after soooo many replies showing an obvious demand I can't believe evernote hasn't implemented this yet. Don't see why we need to even state the reasons for wanting it. There's a demand, that's reason enough, and it would be optionally (preferably customizable) so those who like the current themes won't have a problem.

I try to use dark themes on almost everything I use . I'm sensitive to light and have migraines and suddenly looking at anything bright (e.g. opening up evernote to paste something) or looking at a white screen at night is not pleasant or even good for you (keeps you awake at night / disturbs your bio clock). My monitor is kept on the lowest brightness but sometimes even that isn't enough. On my browser I darken everything with stylish when possible (I don't like online EN though) and use Clearly with a dark theme when clipping/reading articles. On my mobile device I use Evermemo which automatically times the dark theme so I don't burn my eyeballs out when I have to jot down ideas in the middle of the night (unfortunately it doesn't have an always on option). But still the one app I'd like to use more I avoid for long periods of typing, etc, because of how white it is. I tried using dark templates for a while but that only fixes half the problems.

In the end I discovered I could invert my screen (windows has this ability built in, a bit hidden, but it's there). This makes pictures and some of the colors look weird, but it's the only way to use the app for long periods of time. It's still a bit annoying though if you're switching between applications (inverting makes my already inverted browser invert back to normal). A built in option would make it so much easier. +100.

I agree. Its frustrating, a. those who think we don't mean in addition to the current appearance (and think we want to remove anything), b. those who have to hop in just to say they like it as is, when that's not what this thread is about, c. EN, saying nothing and wanting us to buy a little cutout bit of leather to lay business cards on to scan them in (While the extras are fine, ignoring the users is not wise).

C'mon folks, trust me, we know that the greater bunch of you have no issues with the display & theme. We aren't trying to deprive you of anything .. But, we're not you .. we have other needs and limitations, and just want a little accomodation from a company making a great product so we can use it more often, more fully, and without having to endure something that causes us discomfort to our different sensitivities.

Before you go and flame me, walk a mile in my shoes .. if they'd released it as a dark theme only, you'd be here saying how it bothered you to try to use it for extended times and needed a brighter version to make it easier for you to use, etc.

Give us a break, try a little understanding and maybe even see if you have an idea that could help out another person .. that you don't even know.  Ever do that in real life.?  :) Thinking there may be times you actually have ...  thanks in advance for seeing and any insights you might come up with to help.!

~Myr

Interesting thing is that Evernote's presentation mode has a night mode. It only works for select notes - but there is a working "Dark Theme" that just needs to be expanded upon... and perhaps even included as a Premium feature.

Hello everyone, 

This is probably not a viable long term solution for most people (including myself unfortunately) as most people use mobile or desktop clients for Evernote. It's also unfortunate (as far as I can tell) that the color themes available for iOS are not available for Android users (or Windows for that matter). For users of the Evernote web interface, another possible solution exists (until Evernote adds support themselves hopefully in the near future). One could use the Chrome extension "Deluminate" which works surprisingly well, not just with Evernote, but almost every website I have come across. It is extremely easy to enable and disable as needed, as well as to manipulate the way it renders websites (including seamlessly inverting their images in a way that actually looks good most of the time). It's far superior to any similar extensions I have come across in the past. Firefox has similar options ("Color Toggle"), though so far I have not found one that works quite as well as Deluminate on Chrome. I hope this helps. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/deluminate/iebboopaeangfpceklajfohhbpkkfiaa?hl=en-US ]

+1. Just because some of us have higher sensitivities to the new design, doesn't mean that we don't absolutely love the program. It also doesn't say that I don't appreciate the design, I think it looks slick. It's just a little hard on my eyes. I noticed an immediate eye strain when I upgraded today. I have used Evernote extensively both at work and personally to capture my thoughts in a hectic environment; without a second thought. However, now I find myself hesitating in opening a new note due to the discomfort associated with eye strain. 

Perhaps if an entire dark theme isn't possible, maybe we can have the option to set the default font color and background color for notes when they load. I thought changing the default font color was an option, but it doesn't seem to save my changes on OSX Mavericks. 

Thanks so much to Evernote for putting together such an amazing an intuitive product. Please just be mindful of those of us who have less than perfect vision. 

+ 1

I really hate light grey text on a white background.  I really hate grey on grey on grey interface.  Nothing stands out and the panes are difficult to distinguish.

I do not (will  not) change system wide configuration to accommodate poor interface design in one app - I'm more likely to find an alternate solution to replace that application.

I have created a support ticket (as should all of you that have a problem seeing / using the new design) requesting help on how to add contrast and increase font size for the evernote interface.  (Not my notes, but their interface.)  I'd be equally happy I guess with instructions on how to roll back to the older version.  The new interface negates any under the hood improvements for me.

I'm often in low lighting conditions.  I've tried everything including brightness programs, inverting, theming... the best solution is to only use apps the option for a dark background and light text.   Ever "toobright" Note has not figured this out yet.  Very frustrating.  Very bad design.  Even young, healthy eyes must have a hard time with this (and most other) apps.

Arguments for a properly themed environment:

1. Dark apps are easily readable in ANY lighting conditions, while a bright background is hard to read in low lighting.

2. Is it really that hard to have a color selection page?  Are the widdew codwers scwared?

3. What would Neo do?  Do you read the matrix with a white background?  Right.  So ... fix it, or Serf will bitbucket your construct.

4. It could be done by opening up the color settings for 3rd parties, and encouraging using it.

5. There are many apps with dark themes, so, obviously, many users (and devs) who prefer this.

6. Be the only cool big'n with proper themes! 

7. You'll get a flood of new users ($$$) like me, just 'waiting for the day'  !!1!

Maybe that IS the issue... the servers could not handle the sudden influx of all 40 or 50 us going pro at the same time.  Plus tech support would be flooded with 100s of brighties losing their text by setting the foreground and background the same.  

Hello everyone, 

This is probably not a viable long term solution for most people (including myself unfortunately) as most people use mobile or desktop clients for Evernote. It's also unfortunate (as far as I can tell) that the color themes available for iOS are not available for Android users (or Windows for that matter). For users of the Evernote web interface, another possible solution exists (until Evernote adds support themselves hopefully in the near future). One could use the Chrome extension "Deluminate" which works surprisingly well, not just with Evernote, but almost every website I have come across. It is extremely easy to enable and disable as needed, as well as to manipulate the way it renders websites (including seamlessly inverting their images in a way that actually looks good most of the time). It's far superior to any similar extensions I have come across in the past. Firefox has similar options ("Color Toggle"), though so far I have not found one that works quite as well as Deluminate on Chrome. I hope this helps. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/deluminate/iebboopaeangfpceklajfohhbpkkfiaa?hl=en-US ]

Thanks.  I was trying some things in chrome, but still use FF.  This looks like the best.  Too bad Stylish and Greasemonkey are not so popular anymore. The volcanic FF development cycle has chased away many devs.

+ 1

I really hate light grey text on a white background.  I really hate grey on grey on grey interface.  Nothing stands out and the panes are difficult to distinguish.

I do not (will  not) change system wide configuration to accommodate poor interface design in one app - I'm more likely to find an alternate solution to replace that application.

I have created a support ticket (as should all of you that have a problem seeing / using the new design) requesting help on how to add contrast and increase font size for the evernote interface.  (Not my notes, but their interface.)  I'd be equally happy I guess with instructions on how to roll back to the older version.  The new interface negates any under the hood improvements for me.

I've uninstalled many programs for this very reason, including evernote.  It's really nice having one place that's easy to send stuff to, where it's accessible from multiple locations....  But if I can't see the words, it does no good.

After looking at like 100 evernote apps in playstore, I've not found much that's updated and clearly shows 'inverted' theme options.... are there any good ones I missed?  I only looked at the pics.  Or maybe other apps that might work?   I've looked at  bunch.... all fail.  There are some simpler ones, but none of the big players are showing any consideration for the visually challenged, besides, they probably like their apps bright, so they don't have to find the flashlight app.

Archived