The New Evernote Web UI

claudecyrill

Idea

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, the new web interface is 100% UNUSABLE for for how I work. Two dealbreakers:

1) Nested Tags - absolutely necessary. I have folders of folders of tags so that I can find what I need quickly.

2) Searching - perhaps I missed something, but how can I list all the notes in a particular notebook that have a particular set of tags? It was not intuitive, if it is possible at all.

You can't take something as customizable as EN and strip out functionality (and space everything out) just so the design is "clean". I, and I'm assuming most people who live in EN need HIGH INFORMATION DENSITY.

I hate to be so negative because I love EN so much, but kill the new web interface with fire and start over.

The new Evernote UI on web is simply amazing. Any word on if the desktop version will meet a similar redesign on Windows?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6893765/evernote-redesigned-its-note-taking-web-app-and-its-gorgeous

Lots of users really don't like the EN Web Beta.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/68875-beta-no-reminders-shown-multiple-clicks-required-to-get-to-a-note/

Wow, the backlash is strong. Some of the points are really good, too. 

What do you think of the new design?

Thank you for helping me revert.  I definitely prefer the old web-layout on a computer.  Trust me, I am definitely a flexible person and don't usually hate web-site redesigns this much.  I can see the new beta design being OK on a tablet or phone...but then again we already have apps for that.  On a computer the beta looks prettier but is less useful and to me Evernote should keep their focus on function vs design if compromises must be made.  

The more I try it, the less I like it.

I really really can't stand that when I open the web page, all I see is a big white empty page that by default is in the note creation view. 2 problems with it. First, I really don't like having no visual cues about what I'm looking at. Just a big sea of white. The page is practically blank, do I have to select something, is this a note? Where are the boundaries? What tools are available? Oh, just click around and you'll find where you input things...no I don't like that. Show me where the fields are, show me what's available. Make it available on one page view without having to hunt around.

But also, the default view being note creation is not useful to me. When I open up the web interface, most of the time I am looking for content, not creating it. I create with the Web Clipper, a scanner, and my phone's camera most often. I rarely just type a new note. It is most helpful if when I open the page, I see my most recent notes, and some navigational cues to help me find the one I'm looking for if it's not right there...like my notebook list, a search box. These things are good, stop hiding them away.

And when I do have a list of notes, there is an obstructing green highlight that covers the note info when I mouse over. It is way too harsh, way too opaque. It covers the thumbnail, and inverts the text. That is very jarring. Maybe not to people with younger eyes, but the bright reversal is doing something funny to my eyes. They don't adjust well to the quick changing of brightness and color.

• Level 5*

What's Wrong with this Clean Writing Window?

Can some of you folks who really prefers a "clean" writing environment please explain to me what is wrong with the current (non-Beta) EN Web client, when you take advantage of the "Open Note in Window" option?

It looks very clean and uncluttered to me.  So, please, help me out.  What's wrong with this:

Screen Shot of Current EN Web app with Note in It's Own Window

EN-Web-Note-Window.gif

• Level 5*

Sure. Focusing is important. But, on Evernote's end, I think they need to work on displaying information density in an easily digestible form. That is an art that is difficult to master, but shows true skill. Anyone can "simplify" by getting rid of features and options, But, that is a rather inelegant solution.

See Edward Tufte for more:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/

I know the Microsoft ribbon has received a lot of derision, even from me, probably because we like the old way of using the app that we originally learned. But, look how much it packs into such a tiny and relatively easy to navigate space.

Another example would be video games that rely on a deep set of options and indicators accessible from a relatively clean interface. You could pick any number of them, but I was always impressed by Baldur's Gate.

Anyhow, I organize my workspace in a way tailored to my needs, and I don't suffer from distractions -- I can display my research notes, my dictionaries, my sources, and so forth on the same screen and move seamlessly from one to the next. That's not "simple," but it is efficient. AsI always say, customizability is a better answer than simplicity, because a medical doctor or lawyer shouldn't have to use the same interface as an elementary-school child, especially now that it is so stripped down.

• Level 5*

Sure. Focusing is important. But, on Evernote's end, I think they need to work on displaying information density in an easily digestible form. That is an art that is difficult to master, but shows true skill. Anyone can "simplify" by getting rid of features and options, But, that is a rather inelegant solution.

See Edward Tufte for more:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/

I know the Microsoft ribbon has received a lot of derision, even from me, probably because we like the old way of using the app that we originally learned. But, look how much it packs into such a tiny and relatively easy to navigate space.

Another example would be video games that rely on a deep set of options and indicators accessible from a relatively clean interface. You could pick any number of them, but I was always impressed by Baldur's Gate.

Anyhow, I organize my workspace in a way tailored to my needs, and I don't suffer from distractions -- I can display my research notes, my dictionaries, my sources, and so forth on the same screen and move seamlessly from one to the next. That's not "simple," but it is efficient. AsI always say, customizability is a better answer than simplicity, because a medical doctor or lawyer shouldn't have to use the same interface as an elementary-school child, especially now that it is so stripped down.

I completely agree with you, GM.

My point about focusing was that if one learns, knows how to focus, then they should not really need such a simple UI for writing.

Translate that to mean there is no real need for all this effort on Evernote's part to provide a new, very clean, minimal UI for writing.

In fact, I consider it a big waste of resources.

Some seem to think the current (non-beta) EN Web UI is "cluttered".  I'm sure it could be fine tuned to give a better appearance, more pleasing to the eye, while still keeping the information density, or maybe even increasing it.

In an earlier post I made the point that if the user simply opens the EN Web Note in it's own window, it already provides a very streamlined UI.  

So what's the need for a complete re-write of the EN Web client???

• Level 5*

Kind of a useless "test", actually.

If an Evernote employee responds "Yes, we really do read every post" (which is consistent with what they've been saying for some time, and I can certainly speak authoritatively on that topic; it's verifiable to anyone who cares to do a little forum search), didn't believe them in the first place isn't going to believe *that* either, while anyone who does believe them would be able to say "See?".

If no-one responds, then we are in the same situation, since we know that Evernote doesn't respond to every post.

Only if they were to respond "well, actually, we miss a few now and then" or "We don't read posts on Wednesdays", or whatever would you have any new information -- that'd be contrary to their public statements, from employees like the CTO, PMs, developers, and Geoff. Not a lot of incentive to give this answer.

Is this "test" is expected to prove anything at all? Or is it just an empty challenge?

Personally I really like the new web interface. I almost never used the old web interface largely because it was a cludgy version of what the desktop could do considerably better. The new interface is one I might actually use! 

I'm not sure if this is a new/old, power/light user kind of debate. I am neither a new user (been at it for over 4 years) and I am not a "light" user, I use it every day and do a lot of power-user things. I really think this is more about HOW a user is using evernote. 

For me, the new web interface gives me very quick and easy access to notebooks, tags, and the notes within them. I can bring up the search screen and enter a query and have my results in SECONDS, while in the old interface I never really even bothered and it was never quite as slick. The actual note editing is a bit rough at the moment but that's beta life. Conceptually speaking I like the new direction. 

I would argue that in general this is MORE functional, or, it has the same functions with considerably less friction in using them. At least, that is my subjective, personal experience, expressed as an opinion, from my standpoint (can I add any more qualifiers?). 

Change is change. It's going to inevitably alienate some users, and there's no way around that. For me, the changes to the web are fantastic. 

UPDATE:

That being said there are some clear omissions (REMINDERS!), as pointed out in the beta-hate thread. That being said, it is hard to tell whether such an omission is just because it has yet to be implemented to the beta. Time will tell. 

I also think they are going a bit overboard with the white-space and bigness in general. The grey header for a given notebook is way too big until you scroll down several notes. I think there room to go a bit more dense here. Again, beta. We can hope for changes! 

Now that I have been using the new Web Beta for a while, I have some more suggestions (though I doubt anyone from Evernote is actually reading this): 

I wish, wish, wish we had the option to choose whether to display the editing toolbar (with the bullet point, list, and indentation options) on the right or left side of the screen. I know I am in the minority, but as a left-handed person, it's a bit annoying to have to move the cursor over to the right side of the screen whenever I want to make a bulleted list (given that my mouse is to the left of my keyboard). I could be more productive if the editing tools were more accessible for me. Obviously, a better solution would be to implement keyboard shortcuts, but that's something many have been requesting for Evernote Web for years now (so who knows if they have plans to add that). It would't be difficult, especially for Chrome users, as we can customize keyboard shortcuts for specific functions of extensions and apps. Finally, some kind of night mode is essential, especially with all this extra whitespace. I'm hoping someone writes a browser script that puts the new Web Beta into night mode, with white on black text. Much easier on the eyes!

No, it's a pretty useless test, and doesn't prove anything either way. Even if they do read every thread, I wouldn't expect them to set the precedent that they'll immediately respond any time someone asks, like Superman in Metropolis. They could read the thread weeks later, etc. Worse, it distracts from what was a pretty useful thread up until recently.

The new Evernote Web Client makes the GTD system impossible, which makes Evernote useless for me. I'm fine with them creating a new way to see/use Evernote, as long as they don't make the old way impossible. If they reach a point where the standard/supported client is built in the image of the new Web Client, I will definitely switch over to a different software - probably OneNote, since they just released a quality iPhone app. 

Of course, what you need may be in the pipeline.

It's just that we don't know what is in the pipeline.

Hint! Hint! Evernote. ... For want of saying "It will be in the next build" you may be in danger of losing Premium users .

EVERNOTE HAS CHANGED ITS VISION

It is no longer interested in letting you retrieve your information as its main purpose

So the New Web UI reflects this new Vision, not what we thought it was.

These posts from another thead are very relavent

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/73509-me-vs-market/?locale=en

[ . . . ] This video by Andrew Sinkov gives some insight into how the process has unfolded at Evernote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nKF2Xp_g24&feature=youtu.be

I have some extremely strong thoughts about what has happened, because I bought into the original metaphors ("remember everything" and your "external brain"), and the new one ("one workspace") leaves me behind. The "work" they have in mind is not my "work," [emphasis added by me] and I would prefer to have seen them achieve success with the original objective, which no one else out there can deliver (at least, not on every major platform). They were pioneers in attempting this ("remember everything"), but they aren't pioneers in making a "workspace" for me  [ . . . ]

[ . . . ]

GM, thanks for posting this very revealing video.

Some key points made by Andrew:

1. Evernote no longer views itself as a "note taking" app
  2. Evernote no longer views itself as a storage provider for all your memories
  3. Evernote has conquered and dominate the note taking market, but it is a boring market that has little impact on the world
  4. They have "paused", and re-evaluated who they are, and what they want to do
  5. They now see themselves as the provider of relevant information as you work/type in Evernote
[ . . . ]

So I think I am seeing the Modus Operandi behind the new Web Based Client UI -- Evernote is no longer interested in our ability to retrieve information as its core use but to be a workspace for collaborative projects for corporations and small work groups -- that's great if you want a good Microsoft replacement but it's not what a lot of us use Evernote for.

The 100 year company of information retrieval is gone. I am troubled and keeping my eyes open for the next company that wants and is interested in storing and meaningful Retrieval of MY information.

Trying the new one again. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Several new usability problems.

First, I'm trying to compare two similar notes from two notebooks that are in a stack. I want to click between them. But when I select one notebook, the left side notebook pane slides away. I have to click the notebook icon, which brings me to the top of the list...scroll down to where the notebook stack is, select the other notebook and then the note after the notebook pane again slides away. It is a pain in the rump to try and toggle between two notes this way. Big UI fail that would be avoided by allowing us to "pin" the notebook pane so it doesn't disappear.

Second, while writing I wanted to change the text formatting of different sections that I had pasted into the note. The only way to see the formatting options is to highlight text, and then it appears. Well, I already hate that approach because I'd like my tools to be visible all the time, and I hate the way the pop up tool bar pops up and obscures nearby content, but be that as it may, there is still a problem in that those tools don't tell me what font or size the selected text is. I want to select the paragraph below, and make it the same as the paragraph above. So how do I know the settings of the paragraph above? No idea! You get a Font and a Size dropdown, but there is no indication on there of what the current state of the selected text is! UI fail #2.

Also, some text formatting options are in the pop up box after highlighting, and some are in the weird vertical dropdown list to the right of the text. That inconsistency is driving me crazy, as well as the problem I've already noted where hiding the tools is a disservice to me because I can't always remember what tools are available to me that I can't see.

Also, there's items in the pop up tool bar that I can't even tell what they are for. And there's no roll-over text to tell me what the button does.

Man, I hope EN is listening. Some of the old things work for a reason. Don't throw it all out just because you're trying to prove you're not stuck in an old way of doing things. Keep the parts that work!

Personally I really like the new web interface. I almost never used the old web interface largely because it was a cludgy version of what the desktop could do considerably better. The new interface is one I might actually use! 

I'm not sure if this is a new/old, power/light user kind of debate. I am neither a new user (been at it for over 4 years) and I am not a "light" user, I use it every day and do a lot of power-user things. I really think this is more about HOW a user is using evernote. 

For me, the new web interface gives me very quick and easy access to notebooks, tags, and the notes within them. I can bring up the search screen and enter a query and have my results in SECONDS, while in the old interface I never really even bothered and it was never quite as slick. The actual note editing is a bit rough at the moment but that's beta life. Conceptually speaking I like the new direction. 

I would argue that in general this is MORE functional, or, it has the same functions with considerably less friction in using them. At least, that is my subjective, personal experience, expressed as an opinion, from my standpoint (can I add any more qualifiers?). 

Change is change. It's going to inevitably alienate some users, and there's no way around that. For me, the changes to the web are fantastic. 

UPDATE:

That being said there are some clear omissions (REMINDERS!), as pointed out in the beta-hate thread. That being said, it is hard to tell whether such an omission is just because it has yet to be implemented to the beta. Time will tell. 

I feel the same way. The reason I shied away from using the web interface was primarily because it was clunky(even with my high-end computers and fast internet). The new design is great, and I would really like for it to translate to the desktop version(Mac and Windows).

It definitely hits the target of being more "focused". There are some caveats that I found that will need work, but at the end of the day change is good.

• Level 5*

@Stuher:  I agree -- opening Notes in separate windows has many benefits!

There is indeed nothing wrong with it. If you want to concentrate on a single note while working on it you can use this window and you don't need a new fancy design. This is I think what you want to say.

I think you nailed it!   :D

I can't take this anymore... Evernote I am leaving you now! Bye bye... Why, you may ask? Well, it's a number of reasons and the main reason is obviously your new Evernote Web. I can't work efficiently using the new Evernote Web I'm sorry to say. Evernote your failure of making your Windows desktop client software bug-free left me with no choice but to rely on Evernote Web for my daily work. And now you come along with a new interface and you expect me to adapt with the new interface. No no no... Evernote I am the paying customer and you should make your software flexible enough for my needs but instead you make it rigid (unflexible) and forget my needs and focus on your needs instead!! This is not the way it works Evernote! Another gripe, Evernote not sure if you noticed but you have bugs in your software that have been there for years!! Have you bothered to fix them yet? No! Again you expect the customer to find a way around the bugs and adapt themselves around it. But you forgetting Evernote we the paying customers and are entitled to a quality product/service. Evernote I would have stayed with you for many years to come if only you listened and sorted out the buggy software and listened to my needs. But I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. Every new update you released Evernote I started dreading it and was procrastinating on installing it because I didn't want to be introduced to new bugs! Evernote I have to admit you have potential to be great and are miles ahead of your competitors like MS Onenote. But Evernote your mission is changing and many people are not liking it. Soon, people give up and leave if they don't get what they want. It's a bit like a relationship that turns sour if you don't make the effort to keep it running smoothly. Sorry folks (forum members) for throwing a spanner in the works but I have reached my limit with Evernote and now time has now come to say ADIOS AMIGOS!!!

No, I like it too! That Gotham font-type is an absolute stunner, too. I only find the notes in the note-list to be displayed too big. Than again I only use the web-interface of Evernote for minor tasks, so my opinion is one for quicker views and no full use.

I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection. 

Me, for starters. I would really like EN to work properly on my Chromebook. Including offline support. The new Android app is not my cup of tea (for now). And the beta is still too limited (and buggy) to trust it with my external brain.

What I would really love is a full featured modern web app that has offline support (or, pracitically, a native Chrome app).

I like the new interface. I use a 11" macbook air, I do not mind the extra whitespace but I would probably find it annoying on a 27" screen.

I did not read the whole thread but I hope the desktop client will get a similar restyle.

I strongly dislike the new layout.

(1) I want to see all my notebooks at all times [unless the stack is collapsed] along with tags. Sure I have a lot of both but it's extremely easy to scroll to see things. Let people collapse if they want but give the choice.

(2) When I change the notebook at the top of a note, I want my notebooks to appear in the order they are in the nested list NOT alphabetic. The content of stacks are interspersed throughout the other notebooks and I can't find anything.

(3) There is way too much wasted space. Allow me the option to see all the columns I want to see and those who like the minimalistic approach to keep it.

I am one who hates to click and click and click for things. With this new layout I'm constantly clicking and it reduces my productivity. At least give the option of permanently keeping the old layout.

I gave up. Anticipating the change being permanent (based on how Evernote is positioning themselves), I've been straddling Evernote and OneNote. Some of my notes were duplicated (new to both in the last couple of months) and I just finished putting the rest of them in OneNote. (Although with Microsoft's history I'll probably hate the next version. On the upside, I'm already used to dealing with their "improvements.") I'm just thankful I didn't have many notes. I wish the best of luck to those who stick it out. Sorry, Evernote, I really wanted you to be the one.

• Level 5*

@jefito:  Nobody cares about your convoluted logic at this point. Who's even reading your post?  Not me. We just want to move on.  Give it up.

Classic retreat. Losing on points, you take to your heels while shooting backwards over your shoulder. Well done. And good of you to speak for everybody here, when it's really "just your opinion", which seems to be the issue you took me on about. Double standards?

Anyways, you had the option of taking things private, where I would have quietly ignored you, which is best practice, usually. Instead, you chose to scold me in public over something that didn't concern you (it was a response to SophieJane's post, not you), in a post which you plainly didn't comprehend. You scold me in public, you get an answer in public. You want this to stop, then stop making bad choices.

I don't think those people complaining about the new Web Beta really understand the name of the game.

Evernote has been a great help to a lot of people. Sure.  But Evernote is not a charity or state-sponsored Internet tool.  

Evernote is a business which wants to grow, that being the nature of businesses, and what nobody can expect Evernote to do is to not follow the money

Evernote has opted for the new Beta because it thinks that that is where it can grow its business fastest. 

It may be wrong, but that's a different issue.

It's the same story with Google. Google often drops or begins to "ignore" services which don't provide the growth it had expected and concentrates its activities elsewhere in the hope of hitting the spot. Watching it skilfully avoid paying tax in Europe, nobody associates it now with the Google that appeared to be the Young Turk of the Internet with users' interests at heart. 

I don't blame people for being upset about the potential loss of the Evernote they love, but business is about business, not selfless philanthropy. And for Evernote to do anything other than what it has done (assuming that it's market research is correct) would be the equivalent of the company not being true to its reason for existence and to the laws of the capitalist system within which it operates.

So who is going to set up and maintain an Evernote alternative out of a bright, shining and unadulterated commitment to improving the welfare of mankind and making the world a better place.

Any takers?

I just wanted to weigh in that without some better interfaces for tags/notebooks and contextual search I can not find any use for the new web version. I realize that the search still allows for an advanced search string for context search, but I have 300+ tags and thus don't have them all memorized.

I'm sure these things are coming and once they get here along with some other minor tweak I'm sure EN will have even more happy users.

That being said, I think the update is awesome and I really apprecaite the investment in upgrading it.

Are we really having this discussion, about whether or not Evernote employees read forum comments? Seriously? Can we get back to the topic, which is the Web Beta UI, please? Had I known it would have derailed the topic, I wouldn't have voiced my skepticism in the first place. I only mentioned it because there has been a lot of feedback regarding the new UI, but as far as I can tell, no changes have been implemented. I'm sure they have a release schedule of some kind they adhere to, and are probably planning to make a bunch of changes at once. Anyway, that's all I have to say on the issue. 

This is false logic. Of course it's not about philanthropy! It's about listening to paying customers.

You can't grow by alienating your core user base. You grow by being recommended by your user base — that's where the business is! Ditching a tried and tested interface for the sake of fashion is simply not good business.

[ . . .]

The new Evernote Web Client makes the GTD system impossible, which makes Evernote useless for me. I'm fine with them creating a new way to see/use Evernote, as long as they don't make the old way impossible. If they reach a point where the standard/supported client is built in the image of the new Web Client, I will definitely switch over to a different software - probably OneNote, since they just released a quality iPhone app. [. . . ]

Yup. the web beta is worthless for GTD, its' worthless for Research where you need to do complex retrieval, its worthless for any kind of retrieval where you need context, switching quickly back and forth between notebooks and tags.

[edit] took out the -- evernote employees aren't reading this  comment lol

UPDATE:

I also think they are going a bit overboard with the white-space and bigness in general. The grey header for a given notebook is way too big until you scroll down several notes. I think there room to go a bit more dense here. Again, beta. We can hope for changes! 

I agree with pretty much everything Scott said. I like it and eagerly await fine-tuning and addition of missing functionality.

I'd have to weigh in against this new, much less functional, design. I LIKE being able to easily scan my list of notebooks and then also my list of notes within my selected notebook while seeing the full note I've selected. Makes it SO much easier to navigate than having to try to rememer which of those icons on the left side will open up a temporary list of things I might want to select from and, if I've got it wrong, guessing again to find a different icon or a different list. While, sometimes, computers are about making things look  pretty, utimately they should be about making things more easily accessible. The beta sacrifices pretty much most of Evernote's accessibility for one set of designer's ideas of what is pretty. If they don't allow us to keep the current web UI I might very well be looking for a replacement note app.

• Level 5*

It's been awhile since I Iast tested the EN Web BETA, so thought I'd give it another test now.

It does have one feature missing from EN Mac (and I think EN Win):  It allows you to insert another table within a cell.

However, I can't find a way to

1. ADD rows or columns to an existing table
  2. set its properties (grid, color, sizing, etc).
  3. Change the size of columns
  4. Change the size of the table.

This is false logic. Of course it's not about philanthropy! It's about listening to paying customers.

You can't grow by alienating your core user base. You grow by being recommended by your user base — that's where the business is! Ditching a tried and tested interface for the sake of fashion is simply not good business.

Precisely.

I remeber Mr. Phill said in his conference, "we did not got rid of the old design, because quite frankly we were afraid to." And they should be.

Loyal paying user base of evangelists that made this company is feeling that Mr.Phil is not listening to us, but purses his own strange vision. Steve Jobs he is not, whatever he may think of himself. And instead of hiding behind the wall of silence, it would be good business to listen to people who were the key component in the company's rapid growth by  evangelizing Evernote. I for one, would not be against "work chat",  except I feel it has been forced down our throats while there are thusands of people on this forum requesting, complaining if not begging for features that actually make Evernote improved. It is clear for what I understand that Mr.Phil's strategy is to continue to favor one platform over another, preach "elegant minimalistic" UI design, ignore the user requests, not only by not replaying and favoritism but also by not even showing they care. The company policy on how to treat it's customers, payed of not is quite frankly appalling. From "comments disabled" on it's youtube channel to ignoring Forum users as much as it is possible, not reveling any time frame of it's development while at the same time trying to sell us wallets and thermo bottles directly from the app. Or when they make ads and blog posts of the new features, (Mac only) that gets conveniently not mention every time. It's funny how work chat got updated on all platforms but the features we asked for over and over and over again have not. And when there is an updated it's in most cases first Mac. But the paying premium users such as myself have not been offered a chance to pay for the service we are getting, instead we are being charged the same but with less features. And there is no explanation why or any accountability from the company. Just wall of silence. That is what I call appalling.

Regarding the Web UI. I will try once again, but it will fall on deaf ears I'm sure. There isn't much that have not been said in this thread already. Lack of features that were always there, not an easy intuitive way to go back to old UI, too much white space, that looks like way too much white space on a large monitors, since the UI doesn't scale. It's almost 2015. that should be unacceptable. Overall, the vision of minimalistc design is not bad per se, but it should never be an only option, but an option that is seemless integrated in the standard fully functional UI.

Short and sweet, the new web UI SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.  I'm aghast, devastated, disappointed (and that's a major understatement).  Someone noted the new UI might be good for those who dabble in Evernote but that it's not very good for power users--exactly right!  Another person commented there's a lot of unused or dead space, something to that effect, without much information present on the page.  Yup.  There's no context--notes just float in space and take up way too much space.  I need to see my notebooks, shortcuts, notes, everything in one view.  I love the current UI.  Is Evernote changing it just for the sake of change?  Were people complaining?  I'll seriously have to reevaluate my use of Evernote if they force this new web UI on us.  And if they roll this same terrible design to the desktop, I'm gone.  I don't know what I'll replace it with but I'll find a way.  Google drive, Pocket, lots of other options that maybe I'll need to mix and match but this is a piece of *****.  At the very least, let us configure pages ourselves so I can set up a page like the current UI.  You're about to blow it, Evernote.

I would definitely leave Evernote if this design became prevalent across the PC, iPhone and iPad (my systems.) While I like the idea of improving the note editor - it needs some work - it will never become the selling point of Evernote for me. I am a novelist and a paralegal, so my Evernote usage is very text-heavy. However, both Microsoft Word and Apple Pages both have new, clean, minimal designs. Going out on a limb, Evernote is not going to replace Word for me, or even come close. The selling point of Evernote is its existing functionality; the ability to sort, store and search data. In particular, the paneled view makes this a possibility - the ability to see notebooks/tags in conjunction with notes. Lose that, and you add two or three steps to every action, and the critical ability to actually view your notes the way you've laid them out.

Jefito, please shut up with this ridiculous argumentative *****. (Are you kidding me? Even kids' shows can use the c-word for excrement!) JMichael does, in fact, at least speak for one more person (myself) with their agitation at this nonsense. We got your bloody point the first dozen times, promise! I'm personally sick of getting this off-topic, petty drama in my email inbox, as I'm sure some of the other 30-something people who subscribe to this thread to recieve feedback and discussion on the web beta layout would agree.

I can only comment on the tags at this point since there has been so much feedback already.

Without nested tags this new Web Beta version is not usable for me since this is how I use Evernote...  (Meaning primary tag, and sub category tag). Not just alphabetical...  

Until then I will stick with the old version as long as possible.

• Level 5*

Are we really having this discussion, about whether or not Evernote employees read forum comments? Seriously? Can we get back to the topic, which is the Web Beta UI, please? Had I known it would have derailed the topic, I wouldn't have voiced my skepticism in the first place. I only mentioned it because there has been a lot of feedback regarding the new UI, but as far as I can tell, no changes have been implemented. I'm sure they have a release schedule of some kind they adhere to, and are probably planning to make a bunch of changes at once. Anyway, that's all I have to say on the issue. 

Actually, since you voiced skepticism that anyone was listening, yes, it seemed important for you to know that they have said, repeatedly, that they read all posts, because they do value feedback. There is evidently some doubt that that's true. *shrug* As they read all posts (I believe), the minor derailment will not prevent them from hearing further feedback.

I'm pretty sure that you're right that they have a release plan going forward with the web beta (and I've heard that they release on a weekly basis, but I don't know that for sure, or how firm that is). They most likely have a UI plan in place, but like most developers, there's flexibility, and earlier feedback about usability issues should be valued higher, as it can lower costs by avoiding going down a bad road and needing to rip it out and redo; flip side is that they have some ideas about what direction they're heading with it, and they've invested effort to come up with that and will pursue it overall. Per usual, they don't specify what that direction is.

• Level 5*

I found new ways of clipping webpages into Google Drive.

I'm curious as to the solution you found for this! I'm never giving up my EN web clipper, but I'd love to know what other solution you found.

• Level 5*

Actually, since you voiced skepticism that anyone was listening, yes, it seemed important for you to know that they have said, repeatedly, that they read all posts, because they do value feedback. There is evidently some doubt that that's true. *shrug* As they read all posts (I believe), the minor derailment will not prevent them from hearing further feedback.

Why can't you respect the request of SophieJane to move on and quit repeating your opinion of whether or not Evernote reads every post.  Don't know why you say "actually", as if you are giving the facts, when it is still just your opinion.  We are all painfully aware of your opinion and will treat it according to the source.  So can we just move on and get back to the topic of this thread.

What's Wrong with this Clean Writing Window?

Can some of you folks who really prefers a "clean" writing environment please explain to me what is wrong with the current (non-Beta) EN Web client, when you take advantage of the "Open Note in Window" option?

It looks very clean and uncluttered to me.  So, please, help me out.  What's wrong with this:

Screen Shot of Current EN Web app with Note in It's Own Window

EN-Web-Note-Window.gif

Because I don't really use EN to WRITE things! If I want to write things I use Word. I use EN to jot down short ideas or, much more often, to clip information from the  internet and then, MOST important, to FIND stuff I've jotted down or clipped! Just having a big white screen that defaults to create a note is almost completely useless to me. I need to see information and I need to see it in the context (notebook and collections of notebooks) in which I created it. The current beta makes most of what I like about EN and use in EN much, much more difficult. If this becomes the default I will certainly be finding something else to manage my information.

Good

• Much nicer to look at; it just feels more modern and 'now'
  • Feels faster and smoother
  • Much clearer view of the notes
  • Writing interface is much more welcoming
  • Very much like the floating, contextual text-formatting controls

Most of this says nothing at all about the functionality of EN. It "feels" more modern, if "feels" faster and smoother, the view is "much clearer." Ok. Great. But if all it does is "feel" better that doesn't make it better. Windows 8 "feels" "modern and now" and it's a complete disaster for those who actually need to get work done. I'm afraid EN is swallowing the "modern" kool-aid and not learning very well from how desperately Mickeysoft is now trying to roll back its Windows 8 folly.

Really terrible.  It looks like  a blogging platform, not a space to manage and organize information.  In order to maintain my privacy I don't download the EN desktop client on my web computer. Therefore, I rely heavily on the web interface at work. If the design stays like this it would just kill it for me.

• Level 5*

If the intent is to provide a very clean UI for writing, then than can be easily obtained without sacrificing all the the features so many of us need for our daily workflow.

Just like we have one-button for full screen, you could provide a button for a totally blank (if that's what you really want) piece of electronic paper for writing/reading.  Like EN Clearly.

I've seen it written many times that, by definition, Evernote employees are POWER users.  You certainly can't tell that by the UI designs (all platforms) that continue to be provided.

Please provide a Night/Dark Theme for Evernote Web UI

There has been a fair amount of discussion on this topic already, but this issue becomes GLARINGLY evident to me with the new Evernote Web UI. I am suffer from photophobia and many other Evernote users have shared their similar issues in this post. The new interface is intensely bright for people like myself and we will have great difficulty working with this. The Evernote team have shown their ability to transform interfaces into some clean and readable through the Clearly Extension, please work your magic with the Evernote Web UI as well!

Thank you!

I have to question some of the design choices with the new beta web client.

Improving focus over presenting information?

• What's the point of having all that screen real-estate if your not going to use it?
  • use of whitespace is too extreme, you still have space for more information without it getting confusing or distracting
  • I never found I was distracted by the list of other notes on screen while creating a note.
  • In fact I deliberately glance at the list of other notes in the notebook because they are often related to the note i'm entering so I can appropriately name the new note (deliberately simplistic example, Note 1, Note 2, Note 3, etc...)

Creating new notes over finding old ones? 

• With so many other ways to enter notes (web clipper, mobile apps etc..), do you really need to focus the web whole client around entering notes?
  • For me the web client is my main way to lookup previous notes, not to enter them
  • it now takes longer and is harder to find notes, multiple clicks, missing features like autocomplete search, notebook stacks etc..
  • the auto complete search box was key to finding my notes, being able to search for tags and notebooks at the same time as searching for keywords

Casual/new users over power users?

• My main gripe with this is that the lack of a linux client means i have no real choice but to use the web client as my main client. If there was a power user alternative on linux then I wouldn't mind the web client being simpler
  • The new interface seems to be tailored to the occasional or new user than power users
  • power users i would assume are the ones who actually pay for your services and so should be just as important, if not more important than acquiring lots of new casual users.
  • I speak for myself as a power user that I value a full featured experience than a simplified one
  • The web client was pretty much feature complete but I the beta version still has a ways to go.

I'm trying not to over react to the beta version, after all by definition it is not feature complete or ready for prime time, but I have gone back to the original for now.

I hope that some of the points I raised above help guide the rest of the beta clients development in a direction that will be convenient to me.

Or give me a linux desktop client and I wont care what you do with the web client :-)

Richard 

Agree with everything written by Richard. I also use Linux for work (as well as Windows and a MacBook) - the web client needs to be functional, not just for Linux but also for situations where you cannot (or don't want to) install the full-fat client.  I can't see a single reason why the web client cannot be as functional as the local client (leaving aside local storage of notes, of course).

Tagging and building tag hierarchies is a fundamental part of most peoples' Evernote workflow, partly because EN doesn't give you a good alternative but also because EN (and the community of EN advocates) encourages us to work this way.  Tag hierarchies and saved searches are the only way to create and evolve effective workflows - the new web UI seems to ignore this.

Overall, the new web client appears to be a triumph of form over function: it suggests to me that decision-making in Evernote (the company) is now dominated by marketing and branding people. They seem to be more concerned with a superficial refresh of the web UI and pushing branded accessories than making thoughtful, meaningful changes which reflect real usage.

I really, really want to commit to Evernote more fully but this worries me. 

• I already commented on the excessive amount of whitespace, which makes the current beta much less useful than the old version. 
  • While I realize that there are a lot of fat-fingered people out there that need to be catered to, can we also get information density and user interfaces for normal people or those working with a mouse. Some web interfaces have options like that.

• OK, some people like more white space. Is there any particular reason, though, why a "black" (default) font in my OWN note (in RGB this was 0,0,0) seems to have gone to "gray" (I checked some of my notes, and the font color has gone to RGB 55,55,55 or so), which seems to run counter to the goal of improved readability. It's not only whitespace, it's also whitefont.

• In  another forum thread, I complained about "Evernote Clearly", and the impossibility of removing  the "Clearly" format, which also resulted in excessive whitespace. "Simplify format" would not help. I see now that the trend seems now to be addressed not by providing a capability to remove the "Clearly" format, but by forcing it on all notes.

• I'm not commenting on missing functionality vs the old version, which seems, at least for me, in-line PDF display.
  • One functionality, which is missing in the old web client, and also in the new, is the useful highlighting. I use Evernote more to collect and review information than to write. Highlighting is, for me at least, so useful that I might be tempted to .... let's not go there.

• The new version runs the flag of "re-engineering". Sounds like "retour". Can engineers get back to "engineering" and progress?
  • Evernote seems to be the latest company dabbling in re-engineering. Isn't that late and getting stale. After Evernote got late into the trend of skeyomorphic interfaces, providing a horrible iOS version that compensated for lateness by being overdone, and which was since removed, are they now trying to get late into the trend of flat user interfaces, overdoing these?

I gave it a fair try, immersed myself in it for a few weeks. I can't take it anymore, I've gone back to the old interface. It feels soooo much better.

How did you do this?

I'm trying to run the older version and it's telling me that my EN data is managed by a newer version .

How can I bypass this?

I imagine that Evernote has calculated that the number of paying customers it will not alienate plus the new customers it expects to attract will be sufficient compensation for the loss of many of its existing customers.

Of course, they may very well be wrong. I did not wish to suggest that the company had made the right decision in terms of its identification of a demand not yet satisfied. 

I simply wanted to make some reference to the source of that decision ... the profit motive. 

[i notice references above to loyalty and accountability. Did those concepts make any difference to Google when it closed down the RSS reader that was fundamental to the lives of thousands? None whatsoever. Everyone could see the drive for increased profit and less "wasteful" spending behind its pathetic messages of consolation. (Everyone in Google is always so "excited" about everything. Maybe it should start using the word "unexcited" when it decides to ditch a service whenever the need to sustain double figure profit rates demands it.) ]

OK, so my initial reaction earlier in this thread was positive re: the new web UI. In the days since, after trying to use it, my opinion has changed. Not going to point out missing features as that's already been done ad nauseum. Hopefully those will be added as promised. Bottom line for me: managing, accessing, modifying, tagging, searching, viewing, etc. my business and personal library of 11K notes is more important to me than a simple interface and ease of creating a note. In its current state, the new web UI is of very little use to me - it makes what I need to do harder and in certain cases impossible.

First time I am registering there for one reason - New design of Evernote is terrible, it dont give any usable information, site must be as informative as possible. Please develop old version with new features, but dont move all users to new looking version.

I found new ways of clipping webpages into Google Drive.

I'm curious as to the solution you found for this! I'm never giving up my EN web clipper, but I'd love to know what other solution you found.

It's very simple really. Google provide a extension tool that allows you to save the entire webpage like a screen capture in .PNG format with a touch of a button. You download it from the Google extensions for Chrome browser. Alternatively you can save the webpage as a PDF file. Problem I used to get with the EN web clipper was the format was messed up on some webpages that I used to save. I no longer have that problem now...

On a very positive side, the new web interface seems to be better than the old one to navigate on touch screens, such as the Microsoft Surface.

The added functionality would also be good for the desktop version, since there it is hard to scroll through notes on a touchscreen when reading.

I guess it's just me in here. ;) I hope some Evernote folks do take the time to read these.

I just listened to the new interview with Phil Libin on the latest episode of Triangulation with Leo LaPorte. http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/170

Always a very interesting guy. I like most of what he has to say.

But...

He made a statement in there that scared me for the direction of Evernote as evidenced by the Web Beta. He wants to "get rid of the metaphors." When it shows you margins, font sizes, or looks like a piece of paper, "that's wrong." He thinks that I'll use Evernote for writing more if that stuff is out of the way. It's exactly the opposite. I like to see the boundaries. I want to know where the line will wrap. I want to have my formatting options apparent to me. Tool bars are not evil, they are useful. I accidentally found font options when I highlighted some text. I was actually hunting around for where that was and gave up, only seeing it when I highlighted the text for a different reason. And you can't just select a font to type in, you have to type text in whatever font you're in, then select it and change it. An extra step.

It's funny that Evernote wants to be your second brain to help you remember stuff, but now they put out a product that requires me to remember where to find things. Icons have no rollover text to tell you what they are. When you're writing a new note, you have that drop down formatting icon hanging in space where there would be a margin, but it just looks like it's there with no reason.

I don't know, there's a balance between having a very defined and organized space, and a free-form free-for-all with no boundaries or sections. I think it's too far into the minimalist direction. I can see using the web interface less and less.

Awesome Screenshot does sort of the same thing, saving an entire page to a jpeg, a few more clicks though.

On my PC the screenshot only saves the viewing area of my screen. Many webpages are long and have to scroll down. The screenshot won't save anything that is not on the screen (as far as I know). This extension saves the entire webpage even the area not on the screen.

Glennie - I understand what you're saying. I work in the legal department of a successful software startup, and I can totally relate. You can't do everything for all of your customers, you have to keep your bottom line in mind. 

On the other hand, while your Google comparison is apt, Evernote only has the one product. If Google were only an RSS feeder company, obviously shutting down their only product would be suicide. It's more like if Google decided to make some extreme changes to Google Search, which is that company's bread and butter... something they've never really messed around with. 

I just see some glaring problems with Evernote as an office productivity tool. It lacks any semblance of "finishing" a product. It is great for storing notes, but I need Microsoft Office (or Apple's comparable products) to create a highly polished finished product that I can print out and pass out, or to create a final presentation I can stand in a board room and present. There's just none of that present in Evernote. I avoid putting together final drafts in Evernote just for that reason; I'm going to have to reformat everything after I paste it into Word or Powerpoint, never mind Excel. So, why not start my first draft in the Microsoft product where it will be finished? Saves me a step, saves formatting, and plus Office is adopting a lot of the different strengths of Evernote anyway. Is Evernote going to have an Excel alternative? Am I going to be doing Mail Merge projects with Evernote? 

Too ambitious... Evernote should build on their strengths; I just don't see any hope for this product going up against Microsoft and Apple. Honestly, while I love the existing software, it is still quite buggy and I have to apologize for it pretty often. If you expect me to think we'll see them tackle on much, much greater challenges and somehow also fix the quality problems...  Just not seeing it. Evernote is a niche product, and a great niche product, but it's not a platform from which to tackle some of the biggest and most successful software developers of all time. 

Awesome Screenshot does sort of the same thing, saving an entire page to a jpeg, a few more clicks though.

I remember security issue about this plugin (last year), url tracking or something like that (I used it on chrome)

It took me all of 30 seconds to decide that the old UI was more powerful and usable than the new beta.  Sadly, the direction being taken in the beta is emulating the mistake of a multitude of websites of late (think PCWorld, PC Magazine, ComputerWorld) where they optimize their UI for TOUCH even though I am using a notebook computer.  The information density is too low, and ​UI elements are too large and wasting space and hiding functionality.  This is not an interface I can see myself using on a daily basis -- please don't force a tablet/touch UI on us desktop, keyboard and mouse users.  Thank you.

I don't care for the new UI at all. I have ~5,000 notes in multiple stacks and notebooks and the new UI just doesn't make scanning these easy at all. If you have to do this (and I would rather you didn't) can you keep the old UI as an option for Premium users please?

I know where everything should be, I hardly Tag at all so filtering by tags for my notes is next to useless. I do like to skim the notes from time to time.  

I think the user interface is better clean, but I do hope that a lot of the functionality in the other platform versions is added into the beta quickly, otherwise its usefulness will be constraining.

I would also hope that the consistency of the interfaces is rapidly brought together.  I use Evernote on a range of different devices (iMac, iPad, Macbook Air, Android phone) using a mix of the local app or the web client depending on the device I am using at the time.  Having a consistent user experience across those different devices really helps my productivity.

My most common way of working though it using Cloud SAAS apps (Google Apps including Drive, DropBox, Mindjet amongst others) without storing anything locally.  I would really like to see being able to "upload" files from external services into Evernote and then "download" files to the external services.  For example, I have a PDF on Google drive that I want to bring into Evernote so that it can be indexed and simplify the searching for me for this document (and I know there are apps and services that will search across multiple services).  I have to save the PDF onto the local disk and then attach it to Evernote.  Why, when using a web client, can't I just upload from an external service?  

• Level 5*

I remember security issue about this plugin (last year), url tracking or something like that (I used it on chrome)

Don't know the answer to that.  I don't use it frequently, but sometimes it is a better option than clipper for me.  I've used it on Chrome and FireFox.

EDIT:  To be more succinct, mostly on FireFox in the past year since Chrome seems to have gotten bloated and slower with all the ads.  I rarely use Chrome anymore.

Here are a few thoughts that I jotted down as I used the web beta for the first time.

Summary points:

• As someone who typically avoided the web client and used the desktop and mobile apps exclusively, I personally see the web beta as an altogether different tool for interacting with EN.
  • Seen as a different tool, the web beta provides a different experience that I see myself (actually) using in different ways.
  • Since the U/I is so clean and open, inconsistencies are glaringly obvious. I'd say it could actually be even cleaner and more open.
  • Given the massive shift in focus of the web beta, I think this is a great initial effort at providing users with a new tool.

Incidentally, I sympathize with folks who see the web beta as a step backward, and I hope this interface does not spread to the desktop app(s) and wash away robust options I've come to find exceedingly useful.

What a useless joke the new web beta is.  This is what happens when the design lunatics get in charge.  Using nonsense terms like "minimize distractions".  I wonder how long it will be before EN utterly destroys the desktop clients.  Having to engage in more clicks does not "minimizes distractions".  Not being able to see my notebooks and tags does not "minimize distractions", it increases them.  This represents the complete and utter triumph of function over form, another dumbing down of a product to the lowest common denominator.

I sure hope all the companies like Microsoft and Gmail and Apple do this with email clients.  It really bothers me seeing all those naughty things like inbox and sent items on the side.  How will I ever focus with all those distractions?

The funny thing is there are legitimate ways to "minimize distractions" without totally ***** over all your power users, and many software apps use them.  Just give your users a simple way to hide and/or collapse UI elements.  Heck, even make it the default if you want, as long as power users can turn them back on no harm done.

• Level 5*

It's very simple really. Google provide a extension tool that allows you to save the entire webpage like a screen capture in .PNG format with a touch of a button. You download it from the Google extensions for Chrome browser. Alternatively you can save the webpage as a PDF file. Problem I used to get with the EN web clipper was the format was messed up on some webpages that I used to save. I no longer have that problem now...

That's great if an image of the web page works for you.

It would not work for me.  I often need to edit the captured web page to add highlights, notes, and remove undesired content.

The EN Web Clipper works well for me 95%+ of the time.  Occasionally I need to apply the "Simply Formatting" to the Note after capture.  This usually cleans things up quite nicely.  Maybe 1% of the time I have to resort to a screen capture.

Like a lot of these comments I need to see the functionality of the web client able to deliver the same functionality of the other installable applications.   I use a variety of saved searches and I can't find how to access these from the BETA client.  So it would be good to see some sort of commitment from EN on the level of functionality that will be delivered and the consistency of the user experience across operating systems.  It's the design and development principles for this version that I am interested in hearing about - as the BETA develops will the missing functionality be added in or will the web client always be the "poor cousin"?  I hope not as I'm working increasingly on-line without installing client software as I use a variety of different computers and form factors - not all the computers are mine.

Having said that, I really like the direction the interface is going with a reduction in the number of distractions on a screen so that I can focus on the thing I am doing.  I like the way the UI is going to more "just in time" (JIT) with context sensitive menus from the "just in case" model where all the objects you might need are shown on the screen and infrequently used.  I'm looking forward to seeing how EN develop this interface further - minimal distractions (which does aid concentration) with very easy JIT access to other objects or actions.

I'm not fond of the beta UI. I've been a happy long-time OneNote user but recently switched to a Chromebook at work, and I need OneNote 2013 access for my notes, but that's a problem with Linux and the ON web version is horribly slow. I tried out Evernote and like the speed of the web interface so I transferred my notes over. I could quickly find my notes in Evernote after the transfer, and I can easily view the visual hierarchy/organization I set up.... with the OLD web version.

After checking out the beta web interface I had a hard time finding where I was in my hierarchy of notes. Previously I could keep my list of notebooks open, followed by my list of notes within that notebook, very similar to OneNote's structure. The new web interface seems to put a much lower priority on note organization (why?) and more emphasis on making things look pretty. That's fine, but functionality is more important to many of us. It's very frustrating having to keep opening other menus to access a different notebook or stack.  If my notes were not organized and were instead just a list of hundreds of unrelated notes, the new UI would be fabulous.

Please allow the old Evernote web UI to be used in the future.  I'd go back to OneNote on the web if I have to but would rather stay with EN.

There was security alert, sure Google could help to retrieve that.

Anyway, I use Fireshot on Firefox, it is also available on Chrome. It captures entire page also.

Edit: as JM, I rarely use it, I even don't reinstall such plugin on chrome since I remove Awesome.

• Level 5

I'm loving the new look and feel, but for the life of me, I can't find how to hyperlink text.  Can someone clue me in?

It is not there. The same happened to the iOS 7 version and it is still not there. The only way is to enter text that can be interpreted as a link like www.evernote.com. Such a text turns into a clickable link. But as in iOS it is not possible any more to add a link to any text. From my experience with the iOS version I am afraid it will be like that, full stop.

So far I really love the new Evernote web beta.

It's fast, it's clean.

Here my thoughts:

• I trust that Reminders will be enabled soon.
  • enable highlights please (this is one of my most commonly used features - much more common than subscript or superscript or strikethrough or changing the font color, and one of the core uses why I use evernote.
  • Alphabetical only tags? I really hope you'll fix this!

I used to write longer articles in a separate text editor - now I write within Evernote, so no more copying & pasting from one window to another.

Wow, the new Web Beta UI blows monkey chunks! I was about to panic and try to find another resource when I saw BETA in the forum and figured out how to switch back.

Minimalism is great for a living room. But is awful when overdone in an application that is supposed to be your transparent interface to a large store of information. Please do not force web users to suffer through a minimal UI designed for "clean" viewing on a smartphone. I have a 20" monitor and I want to fill my screen with as much information as possible in a user-friendly, quickly accessible manner.

You have failed if I open Evernote Web and cannot get single click to at least the last 10 notes I accessed. 

When I open Evernote Web you should show me my notes! Show me the most recent notes. Offer me the option to default to the notes I use the most frequently (or make it a button).

Here is the experience I suffered through on the Evernote Web Beta before I threw in the towel.

Clicking on folders showed me my folders and allowed me to search, not for notes but only folders.

Clicking on notes showed me my notes. But I could not search. Clicking on search then hit my notes. I felt like someone was playing a practical joke on me!

Show me my notes by date as default. Mix in folders by creation date. Allow one search to search both notes and folders. Offer check-boxes or other UI elements to allow me to specify if I only want to search notes or only folders. 

Shane

Foremost thanks to many fine improvements in beta! I've 2 remarks:

Collapsed menus

The collapsed sub-menu for note editing is worst than the static one. If the collapsion deosn't save important space, I suggest keep the menu expanded.

Balloon help

What will happened if I'll click this button? On the desktop app, you can make users happy by adding a balloon help which displays 1-2 seconds after moving the mouse above the button.

Best regards, Martin.

I'm loving the new look and feel, but for the life of me, I can't find how to hyperlink text.  Can someone clue me in?

Wow!  That would totally mess up much of the function for me, especially in being able to create hyperlinked lists of notes for team members.  It's not like hyperlinking is a novelty.  Seems like a pretty basic function to me.

Thanks for the reply, Skells. 

For my purposes, the new Web Beta is great.  But something tells me that you may be proved right.

It just isn't clear to me who Evernote is sparring to do battle with as it moves away from the original Evernote concept.

Maybe they know but just aren't letting on. 

But this controversial redefinition of Evernote means that the company either has to take on some of the giants or it has to eventually have come up with something that breaks all the moulds, rewrites the rules and so leaves the company as the ruler of a kingdom that it has founded.

We will see.

• Level 5*

Why can't you respect the request of SophieJane to move on and quit repeating your opinion of whether or not Evernote reads every post.  Don't know why you say "actually", as if you are giving the facts, when it is still just your opinion.  We are all painfully aware of your opinion and will treat it according to the source.  So can we just move on and get back to the topic of this thread.

Kindly learn to read and comprehend English if you wish to criticize me on this. Allow me to break it down for you:

"Actually, since you voiced skepticism that anyone was listening, yes, it seemed important for you to know that they have said, repeatedly, that they read all posts, because they do value feedback."

Ah yes, the so-called tell-tale "actually". Except when you put together that with the clause that it actually modifies (ignoring the embedded clause) you get: "Actually, yes, it seemed important". "Actually" is used here because SophieJane, having brought up the topic of whether anyone at Evernote was listening, seemed surprised that there's a discussion about it. "Seemed" which indicates expression of an opinion or viewpoint, seems hardly objectionable. Even so, all of this is secondary to the main clause...

.. "they have said ... that they read all posts". Do you deny that that is true? Let me supply a few of the numerous statements by Evernote staffers where they say exactly this, as evidence of the truth of this statement. They're easy to find, as I described earlier in the topic. My opinion is not even at issue here; what they said is part of the forum history:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23182-ability-to-resize-images/?p=242517

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43257-scansnap-evernote-edition/?p=243064

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35420-nested-notebook-stacks/?p=11573

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/52329-thank-you/?p=257014

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41152-evernote-web-clipper-not-clipping-pdf-in-safari/?p=235531

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36207-mac-app-crash-on-start-up/?p=213364

"There is evidently some doubt that that's true. *shrug*"

Can there be any doubt that there are some who do not believe that they read all posts? If there aren't any such, why all of the hullabaloo then?

"As they read all posts (I believe), the minor derailment will not prevent them from hearing further feedback."

Do you see what I did there? I've italicized the part of the sentence that would seem to indicate to most competent English readers that it's my opinion that they read all posts.

"I'm pretty sure that you're right that they have a release plan going forward with the web beta (and I've heard that they release on a weekly basis, but I don't know that for sure, or how firm that is). They most likely have a UI plan in place, but like most developers, there's flexibility, and earlier feedback about usability issues should be valued higher, as it can lower costs by avoiding going down a bad road and needing to rip it out and redo; flip side is that they have some ideas about what direction they're heading with it, and they've invested effort to come up with that and will pursue it overall. Per usual, they don't specify what that direction is."

This paragraph is not particularly germane to the "they read every post" claim, but just in case nitpickery wants to go here, too, the phrases "I'm pretty sure that", "I don't know that for sure", and "most likely" all indicate lack of total certainty, i.e., believe or opinion.

That's the sum total of the post that you object to. It's almost all plainly opinion, or easily verified facts. You've either effectively demonstrated your inability to understand plain English, or you're bird-dogging me. If you were actually so concerned about the topicality of this thread, you'd stop contributing untopical posts like the one I'm responding to. So please stop.

Evernote,

Good job on making it easy to switch back from the beta.  In a moment of weakness I tried it and was afraid I was stuck.

For me, I didn't like it.  I use the web interface on a PC at work where I can't install the client.  I found it much harder to do anything, and everything kept jumping around.  Too much white space.  One thing that seemed crazy to me is that the Evernote icon in the upper left wasn't clickable.  It looks clickable.

That's great if an image of the web page works for you.

It would not work for me.  I often need to edit the captured web page to add highlights, notes, and remove undesired content.

The EN Web Clipper works well for me 95%+ of the time.  Occasionally I need to apply the "Simply Formatting" to the Note after capture.  This usually cleans things up quite nicely.  Maybe 1% of the time I have to resort to a screen capture.

@JMichael

I agree with you screenshot is not perfect solution and won't give you an option to highlight or edit text. 

The way I do it is if I do need to edit specific content or need to save it for future reference then I simply copy and paste it into a Word file and make the necessary edits there and save it. 

Yes, it's more work but I only need to do this occassionally as mostly screen shot is sufficient for my needs.

Unfortunately, the beta is still completely unusable and counterintuitive for me, and after a very short amount of time poking at it again, I'm switching back. The notes list takes up too much space to show too little stuff, I see no option to restore a sidebars-like appearance similar to the current/old version, and starting on a blank note (not to mention the huge amount of blank space) is just annoying and hurts my eyes. I can't get past the lack of functional and aesthetic usability to test out the features.

Edited to clarify: I don't like that there's no tags list etc. next to the notes, and no default appearance of the notes list. Furthermore, the fact that it's not resizable horizontally and the fact I barely see four notes on my 17" monitor versus 8 notes in a much more compact and user-friendly list with the current/old version is too cumbersome and annoying for me to fight through in order to even properly try the beta. It goes against my needs with workflow and against my sense of acceptable aesthetics.

My earlier postings got me thinking about the Save to Google Drive extension and I just discovered that it not only lets you save it in a .PNG format but also gives the user the option to save page as: 

• Image of entire page (.png)
  • Image of visible page (.png)
  • HTML source (.html)
  • Web archive (.mht)
  • Google Document
I like the .HTML format better than the .PNG now!

OK, so I very much like the direction of the new beta.  The old web interface was feeling tired and outdated.  I'll list off the good and the bad.

Good

• Much nicer to look at; it just feels more modern and 'now'
  • Feels faster and smoother
  • Much clearer view of the notes
  • Writing interface is much more welcoming
  • Very much like the floating, contextual text-formatting controls

Bad

• There is too much whitespace.  I get that it adds to the clean look, but if it was just a bit less it would make all the difference.  Reduce the whitespace by 10-15% or so.
  • Tag hierarchy is something I really miss.  It's the best way to tame a large number of tags, and serves to combine the flexibility of tagging with the spatially intuitive nature of a visual hierarchy
  • Can't create links between notes.  This was something that was already broken through the web on ChromeOS (which I use a lot), but now seems to have vanished completely

Bugs?

• The beta doesn't seem to remember my favoured sorting of notes.  It defaults to 'date updated'.  I prefer to list notes by 'date created'.  It switches fine, but doesn't remember that preference when I close or reload the webapp

Also, I'm a long-time reader of these forums and this is my first post.  I've been motivated to join in because I actually really like the beta, but feel it's missing just a few key bit of functionality that would make it really great.  

I had originally posted this in a different thread before realizing this was a more appropriate place for feedback. So I've removed it from there to add here. I'm aware that my opinion is stated harshly, but frankly that's how important my workflow is to me and how much I hate this abhorrent web design trend of throwing in a ton of wasted, white space and calling it "beautiful" or deciding that all users are incapable of paying attention to what they're doing if anything useful is in the way to "distract" them.

So my feedback is as follows:

This is unattractive and useless to me, valuing wasted, empty space over functionality! If this is the way Evernote is going, I'll have to find some other service to use. Just... no. I sincerely hope they scrap this horrible thing. It looks like a less featured version of the app. There is no excuse for a product used on desktops to be less featured and more cumbersome than a mobile app, full stop.

Furthermore, it's disgusting to lose the convenience of having everything laid out and within reach, or to take beautifully compact lists and turn them into clunky and oversized space-wasters hidden from view at most times. When I write at a real desk with pen and paper, I don't shove everything (research, other writing, etc.) into the desk drawers when I know I'll likely need it. I push it neatly over to the side, just like the original web client had it. I can only imagine that the percentage of users who actually find having convenient and quick access to everything 'distracting' are a super-small minority. In contrast, I find it distracting having to go play hide-and-seek with my existing notes, tags, etc. every time I need to refer to or edit one. Even moreso, I find a giant oversized list of notes to all run together and become impossible to read, compared to the convenient layout of the original notes list in the sidebar.

I implore the Evernote team to please scrap this redesign before it goes live, or at least permanently allow us an option to keep the old version. Allow those obsessed with white space to have the beta, and let those of us who prefer a functional workspace-- those I see in this thread being called "power users" though I'm shocked at the idea that being someone who prefers to have all my work available at a glance makes me such --keep the original layout.

Archived